NATION

PASSWORD

FLAMES OF LIBERTY (1960 Alt-History American Political RP)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Turkducken
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Turkducken » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:32 am

Character Application and Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Turkducken
Character Name: Elizabeth Goodyear Roosevelt
Character Gender: F
Character Age: 33
Character Date of Birth: November 16th, 1927
Character Position/Role/Job: From 1954, Representing New York's 10th Congressional District, Member of the Committee on Education and Labor and the House Foreign Affairs Committee, as well as a member of the subcommittees on Education Reform, Workforce Protections, Western Hemisphere; Civilian Security and Trade, and Africa
Character Country/State of Birth: Buffalo, New York
Character State of Residence: New York City, New York
Character Party Affiliation: Dynastic New Deal Democrat (Moderate)
Faceclaim: Elizabeth Gurley Flynn
Main Strengths:

The Power of a Name- Roosevelt as a family name carries a proud legacy in the United States. From the turn of the century to the Second World War Roosevelt has meant something to the people of America. Just having this name lends credibility and renown. Doors open for you that might otherwise be closed, and both Goodyear and Roosevelt are well respected and connected in the world of American Old Money.

Deep Pockets- The world has entered into an age of steel and rubber. The Goodyear name is, popularly, built on the vulcanization of rubber but this is only a misunderstanding. The Goodyears are a family that built America, rail, lumber, coal, all of these have proved to be massive boons for the financial wealth of one of America's oldest families. While only related to the business by blood Elizabeth has an enormous amount of discretionary spending.

Charming- Elizabeth is a lady of means, born into a prestigious family. She knows how best to flatter in personal conversations, without giving too much away, and how to deliver well rehearsed speeches.

Main Weaknesses:

The Other Roosevelt- Elizabeth's connection with her beloved 'Aunt' (see below) proves to be controversial among the hard core segregationists in the Deep South. The Former First Lady was no friend of theirs and they remember the agitation they endured from her during her husband's presidency.

A Woman of Words, Not Action- Any oratory skills are born of practice. It is rehearsal and recitation, not ideology or convictions that compels her to speak. Flowery words and a charming personality is not the end all be all for those with higher political aspiration, and she will struggle to be detailed or deliver convincing plans of action.

Political Tool- While Elizabeth herself has political aspirations, she is not a self made woman. To anyone in the know, she is a political project. The Great Political Machine of New York Democratic Politics has uplifted this chatty socialite to a position of power for their own ends. While she may posses ambition and political skills herself, her fate and decisions are not her own.

The 'Fairer Sex'- While being a politically active woman excites a certain amount of the progressive women in particular states, this is a regressive time of gender roles and 'women's work'. Elizabeth, through no particular fault or anything she might say or do, will almost certainly struggle to appeal to and convince a certain percent of voters in any particular state or region.

Biography:

Born the last of six children by R.F. Goodyear, Elizabeth was surrounded by the world of power and money from a young age.

The Goodyear Family possess a sheer amount of wealth and power that the average American cannot even comprehend it. Although her Father never held office, he was one of the most important Republicans in New York State. Gubernatorial hopefuls, State Representatives, Mayors, even county officials came to their doorstep. Silently her Father imparted the most important lesson she could learn, money is a means to an end and that end is power. Although she was very young at the time, she does recall the moment where a distant cousin entered the Gubernatorial Race. She can recall the uproar in her family when a blood relative ran for office as a Democrat, and she remembers the upset again when he won.

Elizabeth's new 'Uncle', Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dominated the New York political scene and came out bold and fighting for a 'Progressive' recovery when the Great Depression struck the world. She would now say in certain crowds she was inspired by his magnetism and action in crisis, even before ascending to the Presidency, but the truth is that she hardly knew him. Elizabeth found great companionship and interest in her new 'Aunt' the new governor's wife in Anna Eleanor Roosevelt. Young Elizabeth hardly understood the actual relation they all had together, but she took to the new members of her family with gusto even against her Father's disapproval.

Eleanor took to her 'niece' almost as another child. The two became nearly inseparable with the young Elizabeth even accompanying the future first lady on the occasional campaign trail. FDR's historic ascension to the Presidency was sudden, but the transformation of the young Elizabeth's life was almost instantaneous. The young girl had seen power and known wealth, but to be in the halls of the presidency were intoxicating to her young mind. Truly, she realized, it was one to know about Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and their family's other Roosevelt but it was another to walk the halls they traveled, to sit in the same rooms they sat in, and to wield the tremendous power of the state as they weld it. At the terribly impressionable age of six, she remembers quite seriously telling her 'Auntie' Eleanor,

"You know, when I grow up, I'm going to be President too!"

Which elicited a delighted laugh from the older woman. Touched by the child's determination and naivety. However, as the Roosevelt years went on the statement seemed to feel less and less outrageous. Eleanor herself was using the full authority of the White House to advocate for issues she cared about, just like before, and they were reaching a larger and larger amount of people. Elizabeth, as she grew older, got better and better at recognizing what people wanted and who they wanted it from. At the height of the Delano administration's power, she remembers influential members of the Democratic Party attempting to court her 'Auntie' into running for a Senate seat in New York, although her beloved aunt would always refuse such calls to action.

However these compounding recruitment attempts, and the First Lady's sample of real administrative power, came to convince herself that she was wrong about the naivety of her ambitious niece. She made sure to have Elizabeth receive a higher education in something more respectable than the 'Women's Studies' of the time and she would eventually graduate from Barnard with a modest bachelor's in History.

When President Roosevelt unexpectedly passed, it broke the First Lady. Elizabeth remembers consoling her favorite Aunt for hours many days after. She was old enough to begin to understand how complicated the President and First Lady's marriage was, and how much it must hurt to know that his mistress was at his bedside when he died. She began to understand how much he had hurt her Aunt, but she could only find how little this did to diminish her personal respect for his politics.

In time, the now Former First Lady, would recover. She reentered the political scene as a powerful and independent woman, with now President Truman appointing her to several token councils and boards but as well as making her the first Representative to the newly formed Alliance of Free Nations. She earned a standing ovation in one of the first resolutions drafted and proposed to the floor of this new body, the 'Universal Declaration of Human Rights', which would reaffirm the member nations of the AFN to their commitment against the horrors of fascism and Nazism. Elizabeth watched her Aunt with delight, and quickly found herself a part of this political dance.

In 1950, Elizabeth was partly cajoled and partly delighted to run for New York State Senate. Through a backhanded maneuver of party apparatus, Elizabeth Goodyear-Roosevelt appeared as a sudden mid-ticket substitute. Propelled into the State Senate partly by name recognition and partly by machine politics. She would run for reelection in 52, before making yet another leap in 54 to the Federal House of Representatives. Arriving on Capitol Hill, she turned a few heads as a shocking return of a national Roosevelt, and even more so when Democratic Leadership in the House elevated this freshman congresswoman into influential seats and showed preferential treatment. The message was received by most.

"This was someone important, do not get in the way."

Elizabeth is now at a crossroad. She sees herself in the same position as her Father, an influential member of her party that other politicians come to pay homage for her wealth and blessing. At the same time, her Aunt is responsible for her career and clearly wants her to succeed where she could not. So she finds herself in an unenviable position, caught between content and ambition and the assertion of her own identity to those that have created her.

She has many paths to national prominence and she recognizes this.

It just remains to be seen which Elizabeth will emerge onto the national stage.

Other Info:

Technical Ownership/Playing Eleanor Roosevelt- Former First Lady (1933-1945) Former Representative to the Alliance of Free Nations (1945-1952), Eleanor Roosevelt is a strong proponent of Civil Rights, Women's Rights, and a Pacifist. Although she currently opposes the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) and supports strong action against Nazi Germany. Following the death of her husband, she was courted to run for Senator in New York by her allies within the Democratic Party, but she declined. In the time since then she's groomed her technical 'niece' to do what she could not and become a leading national democratic figure.

Recently Mrs. Roosevelt was almost struck by a car in downtown New York, but was narrowly saved from danger by a daring pedestrian. She is a syndicated columnist and reaches an audience of a projected 4 million women with her daily column "My Day", although as she's gotten older she has asked her publishers to move her pieces to 'every other day'. She's received a fair bit of criticism for her support of planned communities and her efforts to enshrine the legacy of the New Deal into the American consciousness.

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Turkducken

Do Not Remove: COLDWAR
Last edited by Turkducken on Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Discord: Turkducken#3718

That's a She/Her from me Boss

Metal...Gear?!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:46 pm

Catalaonia wrote:Think i'm gonna go for a 3rd and final character, a US Representative. Might for a hard-line Republican this time.

Go for it, since we do not have many House members, but I will be placing a hard cap on 3 characters for one player. :)
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

The Rio Grande River Basin
Senator

Founded: Sep 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:48 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Catalaonia wrote:Think i'm gonna go for a 3rd and final character, a US Representative. Might for a hard-line Republican this time.

Go for it, since we do not have many House members, but I will be placing a hard cap on 3 characters for one player. :)

I’m going for Governor of Minnesota, Senator of Louisiana and Representative of New York.
A George McGovern expy, a Huey Long expy, and a Shirley Chisholm expy
FT Canon is most developed, therefore for F7
This Index says I am 0.364
Battle of Mar’Sa’Nakar ends in Pyrrhic victory as the Galactic Federation suffers losses, in defending the critical sector. GFS Andromeda severely damaged, GFS Comet destroyed. Mass evacuation of outer sector worlds beginning.
Something of a McGovernite, have some sympathy for Huey Long. Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:54 pm

The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:NS Nation Name: The Rio Grande River Basin
Character Name: George Graythorpe

This app has potential but there are a few issues I would like to see corrected:

1) He is too young. I would like for you to make him older, if he is the current Governor.
2) I want you to expand a bit more about his early life, how he entered politics, and a bit about his time as a Representative.
3) This is especially important: I want you to expand more on what initiatives he took as Governor. Did he raise taxes? Did he invest in welfare services? Did he oversee economic growth? You could also add one or two controversial things he did as Governor (for example: "he presided over economic growth but was criticized for raising the sales' tax").

Once those issues are addressed, I will be accepting him. :)
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:57 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:NS Nation Name: The Rio Grande River Basin
Character Name: George Graythorpe

This app has potential but there are a few issues I would like to see corrected:

1) He is too young. I would like for you to make him older, if he is the current Governor.
2) I want you to expand a bit more about his early life, how he entered politics, and a bit about his time as a Representative.
3) This is especially important: I want you to expand more on what initiatives he took as Governor. Did he raise taxes? Did he invest in welfare services? Did he oversee economic growth? You could also add one or two controversial things he did as Governor (for example: "he presided over economic growth but was criticized for raising the sales' tax").

Why is he too young? I checked, and technically, he passes all the age limits. Minnesota is left-leaning, and they’ve elected a 31 year old to be governor before. But I will continue expanding on the biography.
Battle of Mar’Sa’Nakar ends in Pyrrhic victory as the Galactic Federation suffers losses, in defending the critical sector. GFS Andromeda severely damaged, GFS Comet destroyed. Mass evacuation of outer sector worlds beginning.
Something of a McGovernite, have some sympathy for Huey Long. Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Kraven Prevails!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:02 pm

The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

Why is he too young? I checked, and technically, he passes all the age limits. Minnesota is left-leaning, and they’ve elected a 31 year old to be governor before. But I will continue expanding on the biography.

Technically he passes the age limits but he is still very young. Important characters should be a bit older. Make him be in his forties. He would still be young.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

The Central Federation
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Federation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:

I made another candidate on the previous page that I’m about to edit slightly

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:04 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:Why is he too young? I checked, and technically, he passes all the age limits. Minnesota is left-leaning, and they’ve elected a 31 year old to be governor before. But I will continue expanding on the biography.

Technically he passes the age limits but he is still very young. Important characters should be a bit older. Make him be in his forties. He would still be young.

41? Harold Stassen was that old when he ran for candidate (and came close to winning). 31 when he became governor. I’ll edit the bio
Last edited by The Rio Grande River Basin on Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraven Prevails!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:05 pm

41 sounds about right.

The Central Federation wrote:NS Nation Name: The Central Federation
Character Name: Alexander Kane

App has potential but I would like to see some issues addressed:

1) I would like for you to expand on his early life and how he decided to enter politics.
2) You might want to remove the part about him being Governor and instead make him simply a Representative. Otherwise, if you want your character to have been a Governor, I want you to expand on his actions as Governor: what political initiatives did he undertake as Governor? You can look at RL Texas Governors from this era in Wikipedia for inspiration about policies they could have implemented. Perhaps add one of his more controversial actions as Governor as weakness?

So, it is up to you: you can either overhaul significantly the app so that he was Governor or remove the Governor part and simply expand a bit on his early life. Whichever you prefer.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

The Central Federation
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Federation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:07 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:41 sounds about right.

The Central Federation wrote:NS Nation Name: The Central Federation
Character Name: Alexander Kane

1) I would like for you to expand on his early life and how he decided to enter politics.
2) You might want to remove the part about him being Governor and instead make him simply a Representative. Otherwise, if you want your character to have been a Governor, I want you to expand on his actions as Governor: what political initiatives did he undertake as Governor? You can look at RL Texas Governors from this era in Wikipedia for inspiration about policies they could have implemented. Perhaps add one of his more controversial actions as Governor as weakness?

So, it is up to you: you can either overhaul significantly the app so that he was Governor or remove the Governor part and simply expand a bit on his early life. Whichever you prefer.

Figured you were going to say that, I reread it and saw the problem, I’ll do the latter

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:08 pm

The Central Federation wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:41 sounds about right.

Figured you were going to say that, I reread it and saw the problem, I’ll do the latter

Thanks. :)
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

The Central Federation
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Federation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:16 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
The Central Federation wrote:

Thanks. :)

Fixed it, I decided to do the latter just because I wanted him to be a representative, since we already have 4 governors and 5 senators
Last edited by The Central Federation on Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:03 pm

NS Nation Name: The Rio Grande River Basin
Character Name: Judy Cheshire
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 36
Character Date of Birth: 1924
Character Position/Role/Job:

New York State Representative (1948-1952)
US Representative of New York’s 12th Congressional District (1952-present)

Character Country/State of Birth: New York
Character State of Residence: New York
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Faceclaim: Imagine Shirley Chisholm.

Hellraiser. Known for fiery anti-establishment speeches, hammering home his points on inequality. Prides herself on ethics, but if a scandal strikes his opponent, she’ll let ‘em have it with both barrels.

Token Minority. She’s black, and a woman. Progressives will fall in line very quickly.

Honest populist. Popular amongst the left, detested by the right. She’ll tell people what they want to hear, and she’ll tell it in a way to make you believe it’s good for you.

Main Weaknesses:

Establishment? What establishment?. Burned all those bridges long ago.

Screw the rules, I have ethics!. Follows through on what she thinks, sometimes a little too hard.

Inexperienced. She’s had 12 years together in elected office.

Biography:

Judith Elias Cheshire was born to immigrant parents on November 30, 1924, in Brooklyn, New York City. She was of Guyanese and Bajan descent. Beginning in 1939, Shirley attended Girls' High School in the Bedford–Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, a highly regarded, integrated school that attracted girls from throughout Brooklyn. She did well academically at Girls' High and was chosen to be vice president of the Junior Arista honor society. She was accepted at and offered scholarships to Vassar College and Oberlin College, but the family could not afford the room and board costs to go to either, so instead, she selected Brooklyn College, where there was no charge for tuition and she could live at home and commute to the school.

As a member of the Harriet Tubman society, she advocated for radical civil rights reform, and worked for workers’ rights. In 1948, aged only 24, she ran for office, directly appealing to women voters, using her role as Brooklyn President of Key Women of America to mobilise voters. She won the primary, and then the seat with 18000 votes, in a landslide. Her successes in the legislature included getting unemployment benefits extended to domestic workers.
Her successes in the legislature included getting unemployment benefits extended to domestic workers.

In 1952, Cheshire ran for the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 12th congressional district, which as part of a court-mandated reapportionment plan had been significantly redrawn to focus on Bedford–Stuyvesant and was thus expected to result in Brooklyn's first black member of Congress. As a result of the redrawing, the white incumbent in the former 12th, Representative Edith F. Keyne, sought reelection in a different district. Cheshire announced her candidacy around January 1952 and established some early organizational support. Her campaign slogan was "Unbought and unbossed". In the general election, she staged an upset victory over James Farmborne, the former director of the Congress of Racial Equality who was running as a Liberal Party candidate with Republican support, winning by an approximately two-to-one margin.

The Speaker of the House assigned Cheshire to serve on the House Agriculture Committee. Given her urban district, she felt the placement was irrelevant to her constituents. When Cheshire confided to Rob Schenson that she was upset and insulted by her assignment, Schenson suggested that she use the surplus food to help the poor and hungry. Cheshire subsequently met Zachariah Nolan and worked to create a food handout program. She later played a critical role in the creation of a plan to assist in feeding poverty stricken areas. Cheshire would credit Schenson for the fact that so many "poor babies [now] have milk and poor children have food". Cheshire was then also placed on the Labor Relations Committee.

Initially, Cheshire only hired women for her office; half of them were black. In later years, she did hire some men for both her Washington office and the one in her Brooklyn district. Cheshire said that she had faced much more discrimination during her New York legislative career because she was a woman than for her race.

Now, she says she will run for president. No-one expects her to win, of course, but it’s been public that she intends to withdraw and support George Graythorpe, and become his running mate. Of course, it’s all in the air, but, maybe the first black, female Vice President is here to stay.

Other Info:

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: The Rio Grande River Basin

Last edited by The Rio Grande River Basin on Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kraven Prevails!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm

I’d also like to edit my first character to also be Deputy Chief Whip in the senate.
Kraven Prevails!

Catalaonia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Catalaonia » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:20 pm

https://imgur.com/MGkUK5n

NS Nation Name: Catalaonia
Character Name: Oliver Murray
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 74
Character Date of Birth: September 19th, 1886
Character Position/Role/Job: US Representative for the Texas's 10th congressional district (1916-)
Character Country/State of Birth: Houston, Texas
Character State of Residence: Katy, Texas
Character Party Affiliation: Democrat
Faceclaim: Leslie C.Arends
Main Strengths:

The Veteran of Texas - Having been a US Representative since 1916, he is considered as one of the veteran's of US Politics, and has become an icon of moderate conservatism and seen as the safe pair of hands due to his moderate economic views.

The Moderate of Moderates - Considered a moderate conservative within the democrat party, he has fairly centrist views on both social and economic issues, calling often for the "compromise of politics" and suggesting that both parties must become more moderate if they are to be successful.

The former candidate... 3 times - Not only is Olivier a veteran in US politics, he has attempted to run as a candidate for the democratic party 2 times, a candidate in the 1924 US election and 1928 and 1932, losing all 3. Although he lost, it managed to boost his image and allowed him to become a fairly influential democrat in the 30's and 40's, before fading out of the spotlight during the early 50's. This means that older voters often consider him, still, a major player.

Main Weaknesses:

Not getting any younger - His old age, while creating the notion of a political veteran, also seen as a flaw in him. This means he cannot be as influential and effective as he was back in the day.

Mr Flip-flopper - His centrist viewpoints, while attracting swing voters, often see him changing his views, most notably on economic issues during the 30's, of which he shifted from cutting and raising business regulations. His chopping and changing of tax has also been seen to be attacked by more ideological republicans and democrats.

Hated by the populists - The various left and right-wing populists of the USA have branded Murray as an establishment figure and someone who holds the status quo in US politics. Being branded as such hurts his popularity amongst the swing voters within his district.

Biography: Olivier Murray was born to middle-class parents in a suburban area of Houston, Texas on September 19th, 1886. His father had been from a long-line of successful consumer goods factory since the 1830's, with his grandfather being the founding father of Murray Consumer. With it fairly successful come his birth, he was born into a fairly wealthy family by the mid-1880's. His interest in politics was fairly late compared to other politicians, and had become interested in finance and stocks during the 1890's, and by aged 20, in 1906, he had set up, with money from his father's consumer company, a small investment bank named Murray Investments.

He made a good success of his investment firm, opening 3 across Texas from 1906-1912. However, his interest had declined due to his ambitious targets on creating a dominative investment firm across the state, and become more interested in politics. Having always leaned right-wing on economic issues, he became the member of the Democratic Party, mostly due to his centrist social views, and part of the conservative wing. A small donor during the 1912 Election and a major donor during the 1914 Mid-terms, which saw him donate to democrat Texans, he himself was successfully elected in 1916 as the Representative for the 10th Texan Congressional district, aged 30.

He was a vocal opposer of the First World War, and even at the such a young age, he created an image of a staunch opposer to Wilson's ideas, wanting a more progressive social policy and for a more conservative economic basis. Post-war, he became more influential within the conservative wing of the Democrat party, and with support from traditionalist democrats, attempted to become the democrat nominee in the 1924 election. Although he finished 3rd, he assembled a much larger voice in the party, becoming the de-facto leader of the right-leaning democrats. He went for the nominee in 1928, finishing once more in 3rd, although this time not as close as 1924. During the 1930's, he became more right-leaning, shifting his social policies to more traditionalist, in which saw him become more influential in the conservative faction of the democrats, although lost the support of more progressive democrats. His last gamble for democrat nominee was in 1932, where he finished in 4th, his worst of the 3.

After his performances in the 20's and early 30's, he saw his chances of being a nominee had gone, and now focused on either becoming a Senator or a major player in the HOR. His choice was to become more influential in the HOR, and became the Chairperson for the budget in 1934. He became a major supporter for the New Deal in the 30's, as-well as a major advocate for a left-wing shift in US economic policy in the mid-30's. Coming into the war, he advocated for war with the German Reich when the Polish were attacked in 1939, and became, despite not being on the committee, influential in the armed forces committee.

After the war, he continued to be part of the budget committee, attempting to keep military spending high after the European defeat. A seasoned veteran in the HOR, his heydays of the 20's and 30's had ended, as new fresh faces entered the ring. Although still a major player within the economic committee's of the HOR, he had lost his infulence, as US politics had continued to change. During the 1950's, the veteran took a step back from the economic committee's, and instead focused on rallying votes for bills he saw as major.

As we enter the 60's, the HOR's veteran continues on, however, could he gave his last shot for Senator, or even more, a fourth shot for Presidency and the Democrat nominee.

Other Info: He is currently married to Niamh Murray (Born in 1898), with 5 children.

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Catalaonia

Catalaonia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Catalaonia » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:21 pm

Think I'm gonna enjoy my third character. A real veteran of American politics.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:23 pm

I’ve got one 50 year old left-wing populist, and two young northern interlopers. All of which somewhat represent my views. Somewhat. I also have material to base speeches off of.
Last edited by The Rio Grande River Basin on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraven Prevails!

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:28 pm

Looks like I'm one of the few going solo here
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:30 pm

Union Princes wrote:Looks like I'm one of the few going solo here

Well, really, I’ve got two characters. The Long expy, and the Chisholm expy and McGovern expy. The latter two, basically act as one.
Kraven Prevails!

The Central Federation
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Federation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:17 pm

I’ve got a progressive young extrovert with a great mind who speaks his mind and a secretive, extremely selective compromiser

I wanted to have opposite characters
Last edited by The Central Federation on Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Central Federation
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Federation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:18 pm

Catalaonia wrote:Think I'm gonna enjoy my third character. A real veteran of American politics.

Man has been in the House longer than some of the other candidates have been alive, damn

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:31 pm

The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:

Well, really, I’ve got two characters. The Long expy, and the Chisholm expy and McGovern expy. The latter two, basically act as one.

And my character is gonna be a headache for everyone here. Gonna unite the opposition and shake up the status quo
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Turkducken
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Turkducken » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:33 pm

Here’s two important questions

For both parties nomination process, are they going to reflect their function of the time, or are they going to be very electoral?

And

What exactly is contained in the Civil Rights Act of 1960?

Metal...Gear?!

Turkducken
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Turkducken » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:31 am

Turkducken wrote:
(Image)

(Image)

NS Nation Name: Turkducken
Character Name: Elizabeth Goodyear Roosevelt
Character Gender: F
Character Age: 33
Character Date of Birth: November 16th, 1927
Character Position/Role/Job: From 1954, Representing New York's 10th Congressional District, Member of the Committee on Education and Labor and the House Foreign Affairs Committee, as well as a member of the subcommittees on Education Reform, Workforce Protections, Western Hemisphere; Civilian Security and Trade, and Africa
Character Country/State of Birth: Buffalo, New York
Character State of Residence: New York City, New York
Character Party Affiliation: Dynastic New Deal Democrat (Moderate)
Faceclaim: Elizabeth Gurley Flynn
Main Strengths:

The Power of a Name- Roosevelt as a family name carries a proud legacy in the United States. From the turn of the century to the Second World War Roosevelt has meant something to the people of America. Just having this name lends credibility and renown. Doors open for you that might otherwise be closed, and both Goodyear and Roosevelt are well respected and connected in the world of American Old Money.

Deep Pockets- The world has entered into an age of steel and rubber. The Goodyear name is, popularly, built on the vulcanization of rubber but this is only a misunderstanding. The Goodyears are a family that built America, rail, lumber, coal, all of these have proved to be massive boons for the financial wealth of one of America's oldest families. While only related to the business by blood Elizabeth has an enormous amount of discretionary spending.

Charming- Elizabeth is a lady of means, born into a prestigious family. She knows how best to flatter in personal conversations, without giving too much away, and how to deliver well rehearsed speeches.

Main Weaknesses:

The Other Roosevelt- Elizabeth's connection with her beloved 'Aunt' (see below) proves to be controversial among the hard core segregationists in the Deep South. The Former First Lady was no friend of theirs and they remember the agitation they endured from her during her husband's presidency.

A Woman of Words, Not Action- Any oratory skills are born of practice. It is rehearsal and recitation, not ideology or convictions that compels her to speak. Flowery words and a charming personality is not the end all be all for those with higher political aspiration, and she will struggle to be detailed or deliver convincing plans of action.

Political Tool- While Elizabeth herself has political aspirations, she is not a self made woman. To anyone in the know, she is a political project. The Great Political Machine of New York Democratic Politics has uplifted this chatty socialite to a position of power for their own ends. While she may posses ambition and political skills herself, her fate and decisions are not her own.

The 'Fairer Sex'- While being a politically active woman excites a certain amount of the progressive women in particular states, this is a regressive time of gender roles and 'women's work'. Elizabeth, through no particular fault or anything she might say or do, will almost certainly struggle to appeal to and convince a certain percent of voters in any particular state or region.

Biography:

Born the last of six children by R.F. Goodyear, Elizabeth was surrounded by the world of power and money from a young age.

The Goodyear Family possess a sheer amount of wealth and power that the average American cannot even comprehend it. Although her Father never held office, he was one of the most important Republicans in New York State. Gubernatorial hopefuls, State Representatives, Mayors, even county officials came to their doorstep. Silently her Father imparted the most important lesson she could learn, money is a means to an end and that end is power. Although she was very young at the time, she does recall the moment where a distant cousin entered the Gubernatorial Race. She can recall the uproar in her family when a blood relative ran for office as a Democrat, and she remembers the upset again when he won.

Elizabeth's new 'Uncle', Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dominated the New York political scene and came out bold and fighting for a 'Progressive' recovery when the Great Depression struck the world. She would now say in certain crowds she was inspired by his magnetism and action in crisis, even before ascending to the Presidency, but the truth is that she hardly knew him. Elizabeth found great companionship and interest in her new 'Aunt' the new governor's wife in Anna Eleanor Roosevelt. Young Elizabeth hardly understood the actual relation they all had together, but she took to the new members of her family with gusto even against her Father's disapproval.

Eleanor took to her 'niece' almost as another child. The two became nearly inseparable with the young Elizabeth even accompanying the future first lady on the occasional campaign trail. FDR's historic ascension to the Presidency was sudden, but the transformation of the young Elizabeth's life was almost instantaneous. The young girl had seen power and known wealth, but to be in the halls of the presidency were intoxicating to her young mind. Truly, she realized, it was one to know about Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and their family's other Roosevelt but it was another to walk the halls they traveled, to sit in the same rooms they sat in, and to wield the tremendous power of the state as they weld it. At the terribly impressionable age of six, she remembers quite seriously telling her 'Auntie' Eleanor,

"You know, when I grow up, I'm going to be President too!"

Which elicited a delighted laugh from the older woman. Touched by the child's determination and naivety. However, as the Roosevelt years went on the statement seemed to feel less and less outrageous. Eleanor herself was using the full authority of the White House to advocate for issues she cared about, just like before, and they were reaching a larger and larger amount of people. Elizabeth, as she grew older, got better and better at recognizing what people wanted and who they wanted it from. At the height of the Delano administration's power, she remembers influential members of the Democratic Party attempting to court her 'Auntie' into running for a Senate seat in New York, although her beloved aunt would always refuse such calls to action.

However these compounding recruitment attempts, and the First Lady's sample of real administrative power, came to convince herself that she was wrong about the naivety of her ambitious niece. She made sure to have Elizabeth receive a higher education in something more respectable than the 'Women's Studies' of the time and she would eventually graduate from Barnard with a modest bachelor's in History.

When President Roosevelt unexpectedly passed, it broke the First Lady. Elizabeth remembers consoling her favorite Aunt for hours many days after. She was old enough to begin to understand how complicated the President and First Lady's marriage was, and how much it must hurt to know that his mistress was at his bedside when he died. She began to understand how much he had hurt her Aunt, but she could only find how little this did to diminish her personal respect for his politics.

In time, the now Former First Lady, would recover. She reentered the political scene as a powerful and independent woman, with now President Truman appointing her to several token councils and boards but as well as making her the first Representative to the newly formed Alliance of Free Nations. She earned a standing ovation in one of the first resolutions drafted and proposed to the floor of this new body, the 'Universal Declaration of Human Rights', which would reaffirm the member nations of the AFN to their commitment against the horrors of fascism and Nazism. Elizabeth watched her Aunt with delight, and quickly found herself a part of this political dance.

In 1950, Elizabeth was partly cajoled and partly delighted to run for New York State Senate. Through a backhanded maneuver of party apparatus, Elizabeth Goodyear-Roosevelt appeared as a sudden mid-ticket substitute. Propelled into the State Senate partly by name recognition and partly by machine politics. She would run for reelection in 52, before making yet another leap in 54 to the Federal House of Representatives. Arriving on Capitol Hill, she turned a few heads as a shocking return of a national Roosevelt, and even more so when Democratic Leadership in the House elevated this freshman congresswoman into influential seats and showed preferential treatment. The message was received by most.

"This was someone important, do not get in the way."

Elizabeth is now at a crossroad. She sees herself in the same position as her Father, an influential member of her party that other politicians come to pay homage for her wealth and blessing. At the same time, her Aunt is responsible for her career and clearly wants her to succeed where she could not. So she finds herself in an unenviable position, caught between content and ambition and the assertion of her own identity to those that have created her.

She has many paths to national prominence and she recognizes this.

It just remains to be seen which Elizabeth will emerge onto the national stage.

Other Info:

Technical Ownership/Playing Eleanor Roosevelt- Former First Lady (1933-1945) Former Representative to the Alliance of Free Nations (1945-1952), Eleanor Roosevelt is a strong proponent of Civil Rights, Women's Rights, and a Pacifist. Although she currently opposes the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) and supports strong action against Nazi Germany. Following the death of her husband, she was courted to run for Senator in New York by her allies within the Democratic Party, but she declined. In the time since then she's groomed her technical 'niece' to do what she could not and become a leading national democratic figure.

Recently Mrs. Roosevelt was almost struck by a car in downtown New York, but was narrowly saved from danger by a daring pedestrian. She is a syndicated columnist and reaches an audience of a projected 4 million women with her daily column "My Day", although as she's gotten older she has asked her publishers to move her pieces to 'every other day'. She's received a fair bit of criticism for her support of planned communities and her efforts to enshrine the legacy of the New Deal into the American consciousness.

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Turkducken

Done with bio

Metal...Gear?!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 am

I just checked, and Minnesota is Democrat, so should I rewrite my character's location?
Kraven Prevails!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse