NATION

PASSWORD

The Coldest War Redux (Alt-Hist Cold War RP - OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Shohun wrote:
Benuty wrote:Politically...given the autonomy the Ainu actually have as part of the Oblast would in theory mean the complete loss of it at least in theory since in real life Japanese authorities didn't even recognize their indigenous status until 2008 (it wasn't until 2019 they could fully engage in their indigenous practices). Not to mention I'd be giving up half of an oblast regardless of who claims who is still an oblast. I'm not just pulling facts out of the mud here either.

The Russian imperial government already abandoned them to their fate once and that saw deportations and executions by Imperial Japan. I am not Imperial Russia who abandoned them in 1905 nor am I the Soviets who took the policy of culturally censoring them. It's not just about money it's at this point a matter of cultural sovereignty. The Ainu are represented alongside the various ethnic groups that make up Siberia, if I toss one aside what message does that send the others?

Supplying can happen, but a transfer of sovereignty is out of the question.

At the moment, whoever actually controls the Kuril is unimportant to the US. All it wants is complete control over Iturup. The native population on Iturup seems to be relatively small, and the US would be willing to assist with relocation, as well as provide a sum of money. It isn't meant as a political statement, the US just wants a base much like Okinawa where it has complete control in the north.

Hmm...alright then, I guess we need to formalize it with a treaty even if it has to be done through third parties to avoid causing issues with the Russian Republic.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Shohun
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 26, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Shohun » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:36 pm

Benuty wrote:
Shohun wrote:
At the moment, whoever actually controls the Kuril is unimportant to the US. All it wants is complete control over Iturup. The native population on Iturup seems to be relatively small, and the US would be willing to assist with relocation, as well as provide a sum of money. It isn't meant as a political statement, the US just wants a base much like Okinawa where it has complete control in the north.

Hmm...alright then, I guess we need to formalize it with a treaty even if it has to be done through third parties to avoid causing issues with the Russian Republic.

We will have to see. On another note, hopefully the OP comes back soon so we can proceed with the timeskip or maybe we should just continue without it until he comes back?

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:21 pm

My latest post dealt with a quorum-style situation where journalists are asking former Soviet foreign minister Molotov some very interesting questions. In our timeline, the Soviet Union had a group of dissidents known as the Moscow Helsinki Group that defended various candidates who were often persecuted at the time. Re-imagining them here in a different context as Journalists for an organization known as The Dissidents I am basically going through a multi-part post that will deal with Molotov's various crimes. This one covered the Holodomor, the next will cover Molotov cosigning of the Katyn massacre. The third will deal with the involvement of Molotov in the great purge, and the secret protocol (the USSR until Gorbachev vehemently denied the existence of the agreement and Molotov even went to his death in 1989 denying it).
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:47 pm

If the provisions of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty eventually get out of Siberia and into international news, it's going to be very interesting indeed. Because while there would be limited trust in any news coming out of the Soviet successor states, the poor German-Romanian relations would make it so that most Romanians would be willing to believe that Germany had agreed to not interfere in the Soviet ultimatum on Bessarabia. And while people in the higher echelons of the Romanian state already suspected it, considering that Germany helped convince King Carol to give it away, and considering that Germany after that forced Romania to cede more territories, having confirmation of that, legitimate or not, would further embolden anti-German politicians in Bucharest.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Obrela
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Obrela » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm

Hi, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm slightly unsure, has my app been accepted, because it's been replied to, but I don't know if it's been accepted. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm begging you to accept me, because I'm not, but I just want to make sure. Thanks!
Rated a 92.2 on the International LGBTQ+ Rights Index.
4th Place in RTC U18 World Cup XVIII

19th at WorldVision 105 (Debut)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Main of Galordia Minun
Pronouns site: https://en.pronouns.page/@Cinderspirit

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:01 pm

Obrela wrote:Hi, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm slightly unsure, has my app been accepted, because it's been replied to, but I don't know if it's been accepted. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm begging you to accept me, because I'm not, but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

The only one who can review your app is the OP, Sao Nova Europa, who has not done so yet.

Other players have indeed replied to your app, but that was to voice their own comments and concerns, which you can or can not take into account, it's up to you.

Once Sao returns he will likely review your app and give you a verdict.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Obrela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Obrela » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:38 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Obrela wrote:Hi, so I hope you don't mind, but I'm slightly unsure, has my app been accepted, because it's been replied to, but I don't know if it's been accepted. I hope this doesn't seem like I'm begging you to accept me, because I'm not, but I just want to make sure. Thanks!

The only one who can review your app is the OP, Sao Nova Europa, who has not done so yet.

Other players have indeed replied to your app, but that was to voice their own comments and concerns, which you can or can not take into account, it's up to you.

Once Sao returns he will likely review your app and give you a verdict.

OK thank you!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Main of Galordia Minun

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:13 pm

This reason is partly the need for co-OPs.

Frisemark
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frisemark » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:50 pm

Apologies for my absence in the past couple weeks. Been very busy. Posting tonight, hopefully.
The Kingdom of Frisemark
"From this day forward, I shall take up all the empire in my embrace. For I am father of the empire, as I am father to all creation. I will suffer no tired institution nor petty bureaucrat to stand between me and my children. I am the perfect loving god, and all will tremble to know me."
Denmark and the Netherlands had a kid, and it loves the color blue.
This nation is largely for me to autofellate many of my personal views.

Clinton Foundation deep cover agent and George Soros' loyal Jewish Space Laser operator. IRS Supersoldier. Card carrying DNC member.

Book List

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Still workin' on my post with Shohun, apologies for the delay to both Shohun and everyone else lol.

Hopefully, I'll post something for China soon after that collab post is done.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 am

Sorry that you are waiting on my side arc post Shohun, I'll try and get it to you after the weekend!

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 pm

So the last post by the OP was the 18th...are they okay? More importantly in their absence I feel like we need someone to do some leading as a Co-Op (or more). This role play is going to die otherwise.

Upper Magica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 13, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Upper Magica » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:40 am

Benuty wrote:So the last post by the OP was the 18th...are they okay? More importantly in their absence I feel like we need someone to do some leading as a Co-Op (or more). This role play is going to die otherwise.

Hope they're OK.

I kind of agree, but it seems to me two weeks is a little.. short for that kind of action, yaknow? In, say, a month, if this hasn't picked up by then, surely the concept could be revived by one of us if we're up to it.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:22 am

Upper Magica wrote:
Benuty wrote:So the last post by the OP was the 18th...are they okay? More importantly in their absence I feel like we need someone to do some leading as a Co-Op (or more). This role play is going to die otherwise.

Hope they're OK.

I kind of agree, but it seems to me two weeks is a little.. short for that kind of action, yaknow? In, say, a month, if this hasn't picked up by then, surely the concept could be revived by one of us if we're up to it.

I only bring the urgency since the OPs last posts were about a timeskip which was to cause things to advance in the roleplay. Instead the opposite has happened. So it's kind of odd.
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obrela
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Obrela » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 am

Benuty wrote:
Upper Magica wrote:
Hope they're OK.

I only bring the urgency since the OPs last posts were about a timeskip which was to cause things to advance in the roleplay. Instead the opposite has happened. So it's kind of odd.

Sao is still alive, just saw them on another thread

(\__/)
(='.'=)
Main of Galordia Minun

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:48 pm

Obrela wrote:
Benuty wrote:I only bring the urgency since the OPs last posts were about a timeskip which was to cause things to advance in the roleplay. Instead the opposite has happened. So it's kind of odd.

Sao is still alive, just saw them on another thread

After an absence dating from the 18th to the 31st. It's still somewhat abrupt since no one has posted lately.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:35 am

I'm still consolidating my collab post with Shohun, might post soonish. Or try to. Then I gotta work on the post / collab with China...

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:36 pm

Hopefully we can keep this still alive. Sorry about my absence. Had some RL stuff and then when I got back I saw that people were talking about posts so was kinda waiting about that before making a timeskip.

I will be making a timeskip post tomorrow. I understand that some people may still be working on posts but I believe that there has been enough time given. :)
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:20 am

The next post will involve some shenanigans from the Dissidents releasing information that will definitely interest Romania as well as questioning Kaganovich's role in the former Ukrainian SSR. To put it bluntly, the level of the free press here is what is in the late Soviet Union, and Russian Federation under Boris Yeltsin before his self-coup against the Supreme Soviet of the Russian Federation (it was often described as the wild west in terms of press rights).

GermanEmpire of kaisereich
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby GermanEmpire of kaisereich » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:09 pm

Guys, I didn't want to have to say this, but I think I'll leave this Rp, I'm not as good as you guys, at least yet, to make these posts so well done and detailed, sorry to tell you this, but I'll have to say that I'm seriously considering dropping this RP.
Just a Futuristic, vengeful, militarized, expansionist German Empire, nothing much to worry about, unless you're one of my targets, then you need to worry. :P
A nation of 51.6 in democracy according to this https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=528862.
Victioria tears up Treaty and Peace banning Chemical Weapons production in Germany and the destruction of chemical weapons, chemical factories began producing chemical materials, ´´Chemical Terror´´ imminent.

Nitrana
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Nitrana » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:39 am

APPLICATION
NS Name: Nitrana
RP Name: The State of Croatia
Flag: Image
Capital: Zagreb
Territory: Image
Population: 7.14 Million

Official Language(s): Croatian, Serbian
Ethnic Breakdown: 93% Croatians(Croato-Serbs), 2% Germans, 5% Other
Religious Breakdown: 96 Catholic Christianity, 3% Islam, 1% Other

Type of Government: Unitary One-Party Fascist Dictatorship
Head of State: Ante Pavelić
Head of Government: Ante Pavelić
Legislature (the name of your national legislature): Hrvatski Sabor
Legislative Houses (if your legislature is bicameral): N/A
Party in Power: Ustaše Movement/UHRO - Conservatives-Reformists
National Issues:
- The Shadows of Yugoslavia - The Chetniks and the Communist Partisans - last major factions left as a death cry of the long gone Yugoslav state. The partisan threat is prominent within Serb-populated Bosnia and on the Serbian borders. Whilst being pushed back over the years of constant pressure, their will is still unbroken and their strength is still formidable. With the current situation and mood in Croatia, there is a chance of a full-out uprising happening.
- The Mistakes of the Ustaše - Political Turmoil and Calls for Liberalization - Ever since its creation, the Croatian populace was fond of the Ustaše leadership, to a point of fanaticism. But now that that generation is growing old, and a new generation, one that was born and raised in the midst of the chaos that enveloped Croatia in the 50s and late 40s is rising, the conservative and fanatic voices are losing popular support by the day. The Ustaše themselves, whilst at first united under the same goal of a Greater Croatia, are now fracturing between the conservative, reformist and fanatic cliques, much like the populace itself.
- Our Own Blindness - Economic Reliance on the Reich and Italy - Croatia is just one of the many German sattelite state, naturally being reliant in everything on the reich. When the German economy took a huge downturn in the 50s, the Croatian one went down with it. Inflation skyrocketed, workers went on strike. Only hard suppression by the regime prevented a total collapse. However, to this day, the effects of the economic crahs can still be heard. The kuna has to constantly compete with the Reichsmark and the Lira, and poverty is high.
Public Goals: Retain Croat national sovereignty, crush the remaining partisans, end the political turmoil, reach the final solution to the Chetnik Problem, restore the economy
Private Goals: Democratize and reform Croatia, free ourselves from the German and Italian influences as an independent member of the European fasce.

GDP (nominal): 6.2 Billion
Currency: Croatian Kuna, though the Italian Lira and the Reichsmark are used commonly too.
Economic System: Corporatist Capitalism
Major Trade Partners: Italy, Germany, Hungary
Alliance(s): European Economic Community

Military Branches (names of official Armed Forces Branches): Croatian Armed Forces, Croatian Navy, Croatian Airforce

Active Duty: 50.000
Reserve Duty: 108.000
Total Manpower: 158.000

Land Forces: 146.000 Men, out of them 100.000 reservists/not on active duty. 115 tanks, 18 artillery units and 22 armored cars.

Air Force: 10.000 men and 377 planes.

Naval Forces: The navy is generally underfunded, as Croatia didn’t really have a navy throughout the war and didn’t really develop it after the war. The navy consists of around 2000 men and 100 patrol boats.

Other Military Information: As par to the 1948 Agreement between the Chetniks and the Government, the Chetnik Militias are allowed to function, consisting of around 30.000 members. The Tapo consists of around 75.000 members. The Gendarmerie have 10.000 men, but are counted as Land Forces.

History: The Independent State of Croatia was founded in 1941, following the quick fall of the Serbo-centric Yugoslav state. At first being a “constitutional monarchy”, it ousted its king and installed a total dictatorship of Pavelić and the Ustaše. Croatia blindly followed the Germans and Italians into every conflict, a de facto satellite state. After the Germans won the war, the Croat citizen could think that life would return to normal. Those dreams were however quickly squashed for the Bosnian part of the state, as the Chetnik and Partisan forces didn’t stop fighting. As such, Bosnia was enveloped into a state of constant guerrilla warfare. The Government, seeing the economic crisis develop within the Reich and most of Europe, quickly signed a humiliating treaty with the Chetnik forces, allowing them to function and gain new members in Bosnia, in exchange to helping the Croats extinguish the partisan resistance. By now, the economic downfall would begin to kick in as well. Nationwide unrest would unfold, as protesting students, workers and many more would crash with the police. The protests would be finally extinguished in 1950, in the Zagreb massacre where the army brutally killed 2000 peaceful protesters. The rest of the 50s was carried on in a spirit of normalization. The regime was everywhere, the Tapo(Tajna policija/literally secret police) was created. In 1953, Croatia joined the EEC, allowing for some economic development. This continued until 1958, when a tragedy struck. A partisan organized attack in Sarajevo killed 50 people. Another wave of protests was started, now due to the incompetency of the Ustaše to prevent said attack. After a brutal 8 years, the state began to crumble again. To make things worse, the police and part of the army and navy went on strike. Pavelić was forced to name a new government due to all around pressure, including reformist politicians. The last 3 years carried on in a spirit of democratization. Whilst Pavelić still vehemently clings on to his title as the poglavnik, the power is not really in his hands anymore. The army command has deemed him untrustworthy, now ensuring reform actually happens. But Croatia is still a German puppet state, and is also plagued by many problems. All of this progress could be swept away within days, whether by our German “brethren” or the internal threats. Will Croatia become truly independent, or will it succumb to the illnesses that plague her?
RP Example(s):
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=525642

Do not remove - 1960RP
Taiwan is a country, Tiananmen protests DID happen, and the Chinese government is a dictatorship. Deal with it.
An alt world STRONK Slovakia where the duchy of Nitra never fell, adopted Christianity and defended it. It also established as a regional superpower. It controls the lands of Croatia, Hungary and Slovakia. The Hungarians also never were a major culture!
I like countryballs. I play HOI4 and Minecraft. That’s it lol
I do use NS stats, but not every one of them. (Monogamy? DATS HERECY!)
ЗупинітьПутіна

Siimyardo
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 18, 2023
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Siimyardo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:31 pm

RESERVATION
NS Name: Siimyardo
RP Name: Republic of Finland
Territory:In addition to pre-War borders, Ruija/Finnmark*, Karelia, and the Kola peninsula
*Open to this being not controlled, but a point of contention where control is desired.

Do not remove - 1960RP

APPLICATION
NS Name: Siimyardo
RP Name: Republic of Finland
Flag:
Capital:Helsinki
Territory:In addition to pre-War borders, Ruija/Finnmark*, Karelia, and the Kola peninsula
Population:

Official Language(s):Finnish, Swedish
Ethnic Breakdown: Finnish, Swedish, Russian, Sami, refugees from Polad and the Baltics
Religious Breakdown:

Type of Government:
Head of State:
Head of Government: If HoS and HoG are same person, then simply repeat their name.
Legislature (the name of your national legislature):
Legislative Houses (if your legislature is bicameral):
Party in Power:
National Issues: Mention three (3) issues - domestic and foreign - that plague your nation and which you need to tackle in order to prosper:

Public Goals:
Private Goals:

GDP (nominal):
Currency: Kronor
Economic System: Market Economy
Major Trade Partners: Sweden, Germany, Britain(?)
Alliance(s):

Military Branches (names of official Armed Forces Branches):

Active Duty:
Reserve Duty:
Total Manpower:

Land Forces:

Air Force:

Naval Forces:

Other Military Information:

History:
RP Example(s): If you are new and do not have an example, you can write a short (two paragraphs long) RP in your app for me to evaluate.

Do not remove - 1960RP

Countesia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:20 pm

APPLICATION
NS Name: Countesia
RP Name: The Kingdom of New Holland (Nieuw Holland)
Flag: Flag of The Kingdom of New Holland
Capital: Paramaribo
Territory: Surinam, French Guinea, Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba, Sint Eustatius
Population: 1,860,386

Official Language(s): Dutch
Ethnic Breakdown:

• 31% Dutch
  • 34% Maroon
  • 13% Indian
  • 11% Creole
  • 6% French
  • 3% Belgian
  • 1% Other (Less than 1% of the population)

Religious Breakdown:

• 62% Christianity
  • 24% Folk Religions
  • 9% Hindu
  • 4% Islam
  • 1% Judaism

Type of Government: Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
Head of State: Queen Juliana I
Head of Government: Prime Minister Leonardus Skees
Legislature (the name of your national legislature): States General of New Holland
Legislative Houses (if your legislature is bicameral): Senate (Eerste Kamer) and the House of Representatives (Tweede Kamer)
Party in Power: The Freedom and Democracy Party
National Issues:

Fragile Economy - The Economy of New Holland has grown rapidly over the years, but it is still a mere shadow of the wealth and opulence that many in The Kingdom of the Netherlands once enjoyed, and is almost entirely dependent on the export of oil, gold and cash crops. Although these industries are profitable, the lack of diversity in its economy leaves New Holland at the mercy of global markets, especially that of the United States. The manufacturing sector of the nation is small, and centered almost exclusively in and around the European settlements along the coastline.

Dependent on the United States - Almost two thirds of the nations' exports end up in US markets, the small remainder going to Canada or its South American neighbours. As a result of this, New Holland is reliant on the United States economically. It is also several million dollars in debt to the US as New Holland relied heavily on U.S loans to fund the construction of housing and infrastructure for Dutch refugees during the first decade of New Hollands existence as hundreds of thousands of Dutch civilians made the perilous trip across the Atlantic to escape the German occupation of their homeland. Militarily, the New Hollands small armed forces is also reliant on the US as it equipped with surplus American gear purchased at heavily discounted prices.

Insurgency - Many of the original inhabitants of Dutch Guiana, a majority of whom are descendants of freed slaves and indentured servants brought from Dutch colonies in Africa and India, are in open insurgency against the government of New Holland as a direct consequence of to the military's attempts to relocate Indian, Creole and Maroon communities further south in order to make space for European settlers. Although poorly organised and even more poorly equipped, insurgents have made large swathes of the nations central regions dangerous to traverse, hampering economic activities in the area.

Public Goals: Liberation of the Netherlands from German occupation
Private Goals: Promote European interests over the native population.

GDP (nominal): 3.5 billion USD
Currency: Guilder
Economic System: Mercantile
Major Trade Partners: USA, Brazil, Canada
Alliance(s): USA

Military Branches (names of official Armed Forces Branches):

Active Duty: 90,500 personnel
Reserve Duty: 30,000 personnel
Total Manpower:

Land Forces: New Holland Royal Army - 85,000 personnel (5 Infantry Divisions, 3 Motorised Divisions, 1 logistical division)
New Holland Militia - 30,000 personnel

Air Force: New Holland Royal Air Force - 500 air personnel, 20 Aircraft (15x P-47 Thunderbolt 5x Douglas A-26 Invader light bomber

Naval Forces: New Holland Royal Navy - 5,000 personnel (3000 Sailors, 2,000 Marines, 1x Java-Class Light Cruiser 1x Holland-Class Protected Cruiser 5x Fletcher-Class Destroyers, 10x PCE-842-class patrol crafts

Other Military Information:

History: After the fall of Netherlands on the 15th May 1940, what remained of the Dutch government, royal family and military fled to London with the ambition of reclaiming their homeland with British assistance, however, such hopes were crushed in the period leading up to 1943 when the British Empire announced its intent to seek a peace treaty with Nazi Germany. It became clear to the Dutch government-in-exile that reclaiming their homeland was now impossible. With the loss of Dutch East Indies to the Japanese, the only territory the Dutch had under its control were its holdings in South America. Therefore, it was decided that before the treaty would come into effect the Dutch government would relocate to the colony of Surinam, a former plantation colony inhabited by the descendents of slaves and immigrants from all across the now defunct Dutch Empire. In the following eight months leading up to the peace treaty between The United Kingdom and Nazi Germany, the remnants of the Dutch government with assistance from the British relocated approximately 20,000 soldiers and civilians to Suriname, including Queen Wilhelmina and most of her family. The colony was subsequently elevated to a constituent kingdom within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and was renamed New Holland.

New Holland soon found itself becoming a rallying point for all the tens of thousands of displaced Dutch refugees that had fled from Europe to safety across the globe, and soon many boatloads of Dutch families made the voyage to their new homeland. Even those who remained in the German occupied Netherlands couldn't resist the opportunity to live free once more, and brave thousands risked their lives to escape Europe one way or another to join up with their kinsmen in New Holland, although inevitably many failed and were imprisoned or killed for attempting to do. This constant influx of refugees soon drained the small amount of wealth the Dutch government had n able to bring to New Holland, and soon the Dutch government found themselves in dire need of funds to construct housing and infrastructure for its rapidly swelling population. With Britain seeking friendlier relations with the Third Reich going to the United Kingdom for aid was now unfeasible. Thus the government looked to the second most obvious choice in the form of the United States and its seemingly unlimited wealth. After brief yet fruitfulnegotiations United States government would loan several million dollars to New Holland in order to house the refugees that came to its shores daily, in exchange for favourable rates on the nations ample gold supplies.

Within a few years, many thriving dutch settlements sprung up along the coastline. However, this came at the expense of the native Creole, Indian and Maroon populations as the need to make space for refugees saw that their communities were required to relocate further south and their land handed to European settlers. Despite the government's best efforts to provide financial compensation and fertile land, many of these communities responded to the Dutch attempts to remove them from their homes with violence, with thousands taking up against the government. Although the newly established New Holland Royal army was a but a fraction of the military might the Netherlands were once able to bring to bear, superior, albeit slightly outdated american equipment proved instrumental at keeping insurgents contained within the central portions of the country. Although this came at significant strain to the fledgling government.

New Holland would also go on to make territorial gains of its own. With the Free French State struggling to keep a grip on its African colonies, French Guiana had been almost entirely abandoned by their overlords. Seeking to expand their domain, troops would move into the region unopposed. The handful of French troops that had been left to their own devices to keep the peace welcomed New Holland with open arms, and the quiet annexation went without complaint from Free France.

Eventually, as the world moved on from the Second World War so did New Holland, although their goal of reclaiming their european Homeland an explicitly stated national objective, many knew that Germanys' dominion over europe was permanent. As the 60's approached, almost half a million Dutch nationals now called New Holland their home. A small minority of Belgians and French had who had also fled from their nation's own occupation now lived peacefully alongside their Dutch counterparts. The economy, although fragile, had become wealthy from the export of gold, crude oil and food produce such as sugar, rice and bananas as superior european farming techniques saw harvest yields quadruple. It seems that for now, the displaced Dutch State had settled in to its new home.

RP Example(s): https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=473933

Do not remove - 1960RP

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:16 pm

Rip to what could have been a glorious roleplay.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:22 am

RIP, never got to be the most villainous nation I've ever been

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse