NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations [OOC | Always Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Melon Heads
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Melon Heads » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:53 am

Doje Islands wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:With that in mind, do you have any particular location you were thinking about putting your Author?

I was thinking about having him fall pretty close to the Imperium (if not in it). I don't think he'd be very good at actually trying to start a civilization, so I thought he could become an author/playwright/some-kind-of-creative guy.

Oh that might be cool! It seems a lot of the current Authors, even if not politically minded, end up in positions of power due to their advanced knowledge of things not commonly known in this Era. It might be cool to see how a modern person would change the world without becoming a ruler of some sort.

Of course, you'd also have to deal with the fact that not a lot of people these days know how to read compared to the modern Era. Also unless I'm mistaken, no one has invented the printing press yet. Someone tell me if I'm wrong?
They/He Pronouns
Code: Select all
You said I could have anything I wanted, but I just couldn’t say it out loud.
Actually, you said Love, for you, is larger than the usual romantic love. It’s like a religion. It’s  terrifying. No one will ever want to sleep with you.
Okay, if you’re so great, you do it— here’s the pencil, make it work . . .
Build me a city and call it Jerusalem. Build me another and call it Jerusalem.
We have come back from Jerusalem where we found not what we sought, so do it over, give me another version.
The entire history of human desire takes about seventy minutes to tell.
Unfortunately, we don’t have that kind of time.
-Richard Siken

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 pm

Doje Islands wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:With that in mind, do you have any particular location you were thinking about putting your Author?

I was thinking about having him fall pretty close to the Imperium (if not in it). I don't think he'd be very good at actually trying to start a civilization, so I thought he could become an author/playwright/some-kind-of-creative guy.

Ah, if you're looking for drama and the arts, actually Thrace/Ukraine might be better locations. Both have defunct Authors who have established theatrical traditions of note, whereas we poor Germanics possess only material culture.

Melon Heads wrote:Of course, you'd also have to deal with the fact that not a lot of people these days know how to read compared to the modern Era. Also unless I'm mistaken, no one has invented the printing press yet. Someone tell me if I'm wrong?

I believe the Europeans and the people of the Yellow River State have printing presses, though there are obvious implications for how long that technology has had to proliferate. You're certainly correct that the vast proportion of most states will be illiterate.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Doje Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: May 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Doje Islands » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:55 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Ah, if you're looking for drama and the arts, actually Thrace/Ukraine might be better locations. Both have defunct Authors who have established theatrical traditions of note, whereas we poor Germanics possess only material culture.

That would make it a more interesting challenge. Just watching this one guy trying to write all these stories and get people to read them, and one of them is literally Frankenstein. But then, I wouldn't want to drop into the Imperium without OOC permission first.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:I believe the Europeans and the people of the Yellow River State have printing presses, though there are obvious implications for how long that technology has had to proliferate. You're certainly correct that the vast proportion of most states will be illiterate.

This is where Shakespeare comes in (or, rather, stealing his work).

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm

Doje Islands wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Ah, if you're looking for drama and the arts, actually Thrace/Ukraine might be better locations. Both have defunct Authors who have established theatrical traditions of note, whereas we poor Germanics possess only material culture.

That would make it a more interesting challenge. Just watching this one guy trying to write all these stories and get people to read them, and one of them is literally Frankenstein. But then, I wouldn't want to drop into the Imperium without OOC permission first.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:I believe the Europeans and the people of the Yellow River State have printing presses, though there are obvious implications for how long that technology has had to proliferate. You're certainly correct that the vast proportion of most states will be illiterate.

This is where Shakespeare comes in (or, rather, stealing his work).

Oh lord. Geordi’s gonna go crazy when they find a copy of the Bible, they're gonna be apoplectic when they find Macbeth XD
They/He Pronouns
Actually, you said Love, for you, is larger than the usual romantic love. It’s like a religion. It’s  terrifying. No one will ever want to sleep with you.
We have come back from Jerusalem where we found not what we sought, so do it over, give me another version.
-Richard Siken

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:42 am

Doje Islands wrote:That would make it a more interesting challenge. Just watching this one guy trying to write all these stories and get people to read them, and one of them is literally Frankenstein. But then, I wouldn't want to drop into the Imperium without OOC permission first.

I have no qualms with Authors deciding to show up near my character, OOCly - the only thing I would note is that I usually use this RP as my personal muse, and don't always have time for long interactions. But if that doesn't bother you, by all means put together a fellow for the like.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:20 am

Author Application
Name:Victor Gaul (no relation to Charles de Gaul
Height and Weight:1. 5 meters, 150 pounds.
Physical Description:Gaunt, ice-blue eyes, iron-gray hair.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession:Internal Auditor
Level of Education - Formal or Informal:Formal, University.
Physique:
Useful Skills:Administration, History, Finance.

National Origin:Franco-British
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?:Reading Leviathan'
Description of Personality:Know-it-all, legalistic.
Where in the world are you landing?:Where Versaillais will be in the future.

Autobiography/Biography:!Child a reasonably wealthy family of Auditors, he was an excellent student. Upon graduating from Oxford with a degree in Finance, Accounting, and Administration, he successfully applied for a job as an Auditor for the French Government.

Writing Sample:[/b
Although the Ancient Romans had a seizable empire, their government system had significant flaws. Although some repression of the common people is required for them to become talented, productive members of society, the Romans took it to an unnecessary extreme.

[b]What are your intentions for this RP; what do you think your Author will seek to accomplish?:
I intend to use this as a sort of background for my NationStates nation.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Metternich, Napoleon Bonaparte, that sort of person.
Why did you chose to land where you did?:Because I felt that Versaillais had they type of history I was looking for.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and its culture, if you seek to establish one?:A civilisation based on expansion by means of exploitation, disadvantageous treaties, that sort of thing. The culture is one based on service to the ruler, but also personal advancement.
What are your character's motivations?: A strong belief that that he knows what's best.
Theme Song?: Requiems' by Mozart.
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:More focus on the actions of civilizations, not just their leaders.
Last edited by Kreigsreich of Iron on Sun May 14, 2023 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
NS Stats are canon, except for Capitalism, Slavery, and WA membership. FT robot « edgy hyperdictarship »
According to this index, a .5 class civilisation
Archconservative French imperialist struggling with a NSG addiction.
« Nil inultum remanebit »
I reserve the right to/still me for any reason whatsoever.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:41 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:Author Application
Height and Weight:1 meter, 150 pounds.
Physical Description:
( Optional ) Picture:

Just making sure, you want your fella to be 3 foot tall?
They/He Pronouns
-Richard Siken

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:35 am

Melon Heads wrote:
Height and Weight:1 meter, 150 pounds.
Physical Description:
( Optional ) Picture:

No. That was a typo.
NS Stats are canon, except for Capitalism, Slavery, and WA membership. FT robot « edgy hyperdictarship »
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:35 am

Height and Weight:1. 5meter, 150 pounds.
Physical Description:
( Optional ) Picture:

Level of Education - Formal or Informal:Formal
Physique:

What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?:Reading Leviathan'

Autobiography/Biography:!Child a reasonably wealthy family of Auditors, he was an excellent student. Upon graduating from Oxford with a degree in Finance, Accounting, and Administration, he successfully applied for a job as an Auditor for the French Government.

Writing Sample:

What are your intentions for this RP; what do you think your Author will seek to accomplish?: I intend to use this as a sort of background for my NationStates nation.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Metternich, Napoleon Bonaparte, that sort of person.
Why did you chose to land where you did?:Because I felt that Versaillais had they type of history I was looking for.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and its culture, if you seek to establish one?:A civilisation based on expansion by means of exploitation, disadvantageous treaties, that sort of thing. The culture is one based on service to the ruler, but also personal advancement.
What are your character's motivations?: A strong belief that that he knows what's best.
Theme Song?: 'Stars' by Rusell Crowe.
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

Hmm. You have several areas that aren't filled out, which I would like to see completed - things like your degree of education, for instance. And a writing sample would be excellent. Do you need a prompt?

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:05 am

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:
Melon Heads wrote:

No. That was a typo.

Not going to lie I'm a little disappointed lol, I'd be curious to see how a person with dwarfism may handle this time period.
They/He Pronouns
-Richard Siken

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:43 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Height and Weight:1. 5meter, 150 pounds.
Physical Description:
( Optional ) Picture:

Level of Education - Formal or Informal:Formal
Physique:

Writing Sample:

What are your intentions for this RP; what do you think your Author will seek to accomplish?: I intend to use this as a sort of background for my NationStates nation.
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

Hmm. You have several areas that aren't filled out, which I would like to see completed - things like your degree of education, for instance. And a writing sample would be excellent. Do you need a prompt?

Sorry for the inconvenience, I was a bit pressed for time.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:57 pm

Sorry for the inconvenience, I was a bit pressed for time.

No trouble at all. For future reference, if you’re working on a post and don’t have time to finish, slapping the “WIP” or “Work in Progress” label on it can help prevent confusion. Let me know when you’re done and I’ll be happy to look at it.

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:00 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:Sorry for the inconvenience, I was a bit pressed for time.

No trouble at all. For future reference, if you’re working on a post and don’t have time to finish, slapping the “WIP” or “Work in Progress” label on it can help prevent confusion. Let me know when you’re done and I’ll be happy to look at it.

Thanks for the tip. And I'm done now.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Melon Heads wrote:
Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:No. That was a typo.

Not going to lie I'm a little disappointed lol, I'd be curious to see how a person with dwarfism may handle this time period.[/quote
I personally feel uncomfortable playing people with physical disabilities, but that's just me.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29 am

( Optional ) Picture:

Physique:

Although the Ancient Romans had a seizable empire, their government system had significant flaws. Although some repression of the common people is required for them to become talented, productive members of society, the Romans took it to an unnecessary extreme.

[b]What are your intentions for this RP; what do you think your Author will seek to accomplish?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:More focus on the actions of civilizations, not just their leaders.

Hmm. So I don't hate this. Do keep in mind, though, that we ask folks to write as their real selves. You don't have to give away any doxxing information or anything like that, but if you're trying to portray a stage of life and skills which you do not possess, your writing will be poorer for it.

If I'm wrong I apologize, but your summary of your Author's education and background make me think you are creating a character, not an Author. And we want you to write you, not a character.

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:01 pm

( Optional ) Picture:

Physique:

Hmm. So I don't hate this. Do keep in mind, though, that we ask folks to write as their real selves. You don't have to give away any doxxing information or anything like that, but if you're trying to portray a stage of life and skills which you do not possess, your writing will be poorer for it.

If I'm wrong I apologize, but your summary of your Author's education and background make me think you are creating a character, not an Author. And we want you to write you, not a character.

I don't feel like giving away details of my life personal to me.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:57 pm

I don't feel like giving away details of my life personal to me.

No trouble. Like I said, we’re not looking for doxxing. But we do want your writing to be realistic and credible for what your reactions would be when you arrive in the past, and it is difficult to write credibly about something you don’t understand firsthand. Like, if you try to introduce surgery to the locals, but know nothing about it… your writing will be pretty wildly off-base.

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:35 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:I don't feel like giving away details of my life personal to me.

No trouble. Like I said, we’re not looking for doxxing. But we do want your writing to be realistic and credible for what your reactions would be when you arrive in the past, and it is difficult to write credibly about something you don’t understand firsthand. Like, if you try to introduce surgery to the locals, but know nothing about it… your writing will be pretty wildly off-base.

I can depict my personality without revealing anything else. I do it every time I role-play.
Last edited by Kreigsreich of Iron on Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:24 pm

I can depict my personality without revealing anything else. I do it every time I role-play.

Ah, that’s my point; we’re not asking you to give us a vague sketch of how you imagine a political leader would manage their country, like is done in other RPs. We’re asking you to write as yourself sent into the past. Not how a character sent into the past would react. Does that make sense?

Kreigsreich of Iron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:47 am

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:I can depict my personality without revealing anything else. I do it every time I role-play.

Ah, that’s my point; we’re not asking you to give us a vague sketch of how you imagine a political leader would manage their country, like is done in other RPs. We’re asking you to write as yourself sent into the past. Not how a character sent into the past would react. Does that make sense?

I assure you, I make my personality the personality of my characters. For instance, the writing sample I submitted was something I might have written. Just ask my friends.
Pronouns are he/him/his.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:42 am

I assure you, I make my personality the personality of my characters. For instance, the writing sample I submitted was something I might have written. Just ask my friends.

*throwing up of hands*

Alright, alright, you’re confident. Accepted. I look forward to seeing what you do with the proto-proto-Gauls.

Melon Heads
Envoy

Postby Melon Heads » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:I assure you, I make my personality the personality of my characters. For instance, the writing sample I submitted was something I might have written. Just ask my friends.

*throwing up of hands*

Alright, alright, you’re confident. Accepted. I look forward to seeing what you do with the proto-proto-Gauls.

*does a quick check to see how far away Versailles is from Kemet*

Aight you Europeans have fun I'm going to stay here in Kemet and try to convince these guys that germ theory is real. :D
They/He Pronouns
-Richard Siken

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:59 pm

Melon Heads wrote:
*throwing up of hands*

*does a quick check to see how far away Versailles is from Kemet*

Aight you Europeans have fun I'm going to stay here in Kemet and try to convince these guys that germ theory is real. :D

Reject Kemetian sophistication of religion, sanitation, and labor coordination. Embrace European warlordism and serfery.

Doje Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: May 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Doje Islands » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:51 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Reject Kemetian sophistication of religion, sanitation, and labor coordination. Embrace European warlordism and serfery.

I'm going to enjoy reading about the epic Battle of Versailles.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:48 am

Doje Islands wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Reject Kemetian sophistication of religion, sanitation, and labor coordination. Embrace European warlordism and serfery.

I'm going to enjoy reading about the epic Battle of Versailles.

I'm curious to see what the French get up to. Paris isn't the -most- excellent position to found a civilization, but hey, people have their own dreams.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse