NATION

PASSWORD

Welcome To Harkback Union - En Charactére

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:36 am

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:
Fellow Cabbie
(Image)
"Is grheat fun, kind ouf, taxi utopia. Lots of customerhs, fat tips." - Fat lies, masking some hidden truth?
"Laborh lotterhy may seem strhange, oui, but its parht of clockworhk economy." - He believes it, but is it so?
"We got rhid of managerhs and rheplaced them with dice, and look at union now..." - There is a hint of bitterness in his voice.

He seemed to be enjoying the conversation, a smile building up his face. His mouth was like a chimney stack, puffing out circles of smoke every time he said "O".

"How loong, how loong... all my life, as fa' I can rhememberh."
"Why? Why why? Oh, you mean spin job forh rhest of life? Mais non. You can get new job, but lots of paperhworhk, then you can spin again. But taxi good job. Stay. Hop in si bakk, I'll show you le rhopes."

Sahara -166449
Occupation: Taxi operator, Taxi Union Zone Petit Terminus, Palais Cloqbern, (Grey)
Address: 03-03 Palais-Cloqbern, rue d'Alambert, Hotel-l'infini, floor Q', room x
A-bahn Express permit
U-Bahn Pass
S-Bahn Pass

Sahara hesitated. The man was offering help, but he wasn't straightforward, wasn't honest. But he hadn't asked her questions about why she was here, where she'd come from, why she had a statue in a glass case. That, at least, had to account for something.

Against her better judgment, she said, "Alright. I can do that. Not sure when they'll expect me to start working." She shrugged and climbed into the cab beside him. It was an awkward maneuver thanks to the statue, but she wasn't going to set it down for even an instant. She couldn't part with it, not yet. There was something she had to do with it first.

The cab was rife with the odor of smoke that burned Sahara's nostrils. She suppressed a cough so as not to be rude to this man, but in truth she could not stand the potent stench. Her eyes watered and her throat tingled. She came from an area in which smoking was unheard of, but once in a long while a city dweller would wander into her father's shop with a pipe clutched between yellowed teeth. Her father would berate the outsider for smoking in his premises, and he'd be asked to leave until the smoke sputtered out. Smokers were rarer than those who came in asking where the bar was, unaware that Gharan was a dry village, but they were just as if not more disruptive. Drinkers, at least, could keep to themselves.

Still, Sahara forced a half smile as the man started talking. After she answered his question about her familiarity with cabs--no, she'd never driven one or seen a vehicle with wheels like this until today--she mused, "You never told me your name. Who are you?"

Code: Select all
Action:  Attempt to make small talk with the cab driver and learn how to drive said cab.

Fellow Cabbie

The cab took off, heading for the highway. They passed a handful of neon signs.

World's best coffee - Instant coffee? Made synthetically? What a joke...

7 star service. - In a dingy little restaurant?

"No, I have no childrhen. Why would I want childrhen? They are noisy and peterh you all day." - Another lie, perpetrated by the man behind the wheels. - "You drhove beforhe? No?"
" Merde. "

They were about to enter the A-bahn system, when the driver pulled the handbrakes and made a sudden and quite dangerous drifting U-turn. It was also very cool.
He drove the cab to one of the many ports lining the coast, it took only a minute or so to find an entrance.

"I'll show you, herhe in containerpark.

He stopped the car near a large opening and offered his seat to Sahara.

"Sis is gas. Sat is brheak. Wheels go left rhight."
"Sis like walking on si cake."
"You can use sat to honk if some asshoule cuts in frhont of you."
"If you see rhed light you have to stop carh."
"You not colorhblind, eh?"

Attempt to drive car?
Last edited by Harkback Union on Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:51 am

Isabella de Tervain, ??:??

Well, wasn't that terribly irritating. Both equally alike in their illegality. One, the old capital, the old center. Stripped of culture and history and power, with the source of wealth, all it had left, drying up. All in all, plenty of reasons to be resentful. Dunnrhof sounded more like the typical post-industrial area one might find everywhere, abandoned businesses, illegal trade. That it was riddled with informants was a mark against it. More informants would mean they were more likely to find her mark, this mysterious... Mr Windslow.

Xavier scratched his chin and suggested leaving it up to luck, withdrawing a tiny golden metronome-like thing and stting a little grey whale to one side, a toy cable car on the other. He wound up the machine and pressed a button, sending an indicator swinging wildly.

Isabella watched as if hypnotized, waiting for the result-

It halted dead center.

How... Anti-climatic. Xavier suggested splitting up. A wise choice.

"Very well. I'll take the skytram, Zadox." Isabella said, tapping the toy cable car. "You don't happen to have long-range portable radioes available, do you? If we could communicate, we could use the Z-Bahn to move from one to the other, if, of course, we pick up signs of our quarry at one or the other."

Action: After waiting to see if Xavier has radioes available or not, travel to Zadox via K- and U-Bahns.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:52 am

Harkback Union wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:Sahara -166449
Occupation: Taxi operator, Taxi Union Zone Petit Terminus, Palais Cloqbern, (Grey)
Address: 03-03 Palais-Cloqbern, rue d'Alambert, Hotel-l'infini, floor Q', room x
A-bahn Express permit
U-Bahn Pass
S-Bahn Pass

Sahara hesitated. The man was offering help, but he wasn't straightforward, wasn't honest. But he hadn't asked her questions about why she was here, where she'd come from, why she had a statue in a glass case. That, at least, had to account for something.

Against her better judgment, she said, "Alright. I can do that. Not sure when they'll expect me to start working." She shrugged and climbed into the cab beside him. It was an awkward maneuver thanks to the statue, but she wasn't going to set it down for even an instant. She couldn't part with it, not yet. There was something she had to do with it first.

The cab was rife with the odor of smoke that burned Sahara's nostrils. She suppressed a cough so as not to be rude to this man, but in truth she could not stand the potent stench. Her eyes watered and her throat tingled. She came from an area in which smoking was unheard of, but once in a long while a city dweller would wander into her father's shop with a pipe clutched between yellowed teeth. Her father would berate the outsider for smoking in his premises, and he'd be asked to leave until the smoke sputtered out. Smokers were rarer than those who came in asking where the bar was, unaware that Gharan was a dry village, but they were just as if not more disruptive. Drinkers, at least, could keep to themselves.

Still, Sahara forced a half smile as the man started talking. After she answered his question about her familiarity with cabs--no, she'd never driven one or seen a vehicle with wheels like this until today--she mused, "You never told me your name. Who are you?"

Action:  Attempt to make small talk with the cab driver and learn how to drive said cab.

Fellow Cabbie

"No, I have no childrhen. Why would I want childrhen? They are noisy and peterh you all day." - Another lie, perpetrated by the man behind the wheels. - "You drhove beforhe? No?"
" Merde. "

They were about to enter the A-bahn system, when the driver pulled the handbrakes and made a sudden and quite dangerous drifting U-turn. It was also very cool.
He drove the cab to one of the many ports lining the coast, it took only a minute or so to find an entrance.

Attempt to drive car?

"A...alright, I think I'll try it." Sahara climbed out of the car and, on shaky legs, slipped into the driver's seat. She kept the statue in her lap, positioned it so it wouldn't interfere too much with her driving. The case, at least, was not large all things considering. She asked the cabbie to tell her what everything was again, then positioned her hands on the wheel.

It was warm and slick where the cabbie's hands had been, and her own hands slid around in feeble attempts for purchase. Her knuckles shook, and her foot floundered for too long before it clamped down upon the unseen brake. She felt the brake tighten beneath her, felt the humming generator scoff as though mocking her. Tentatively, she extended her fingers toward what he said was the horn and pushed it. A horrid blare emitted from the vehicle; she flinched, mesmerized and terrified by the sound. She pressed it again and again in the hopes that doing so would ease her fear of the noise. It did not.

The cabbie told her how to turn the wheel, and she did so to get the feel of it before she started driving. It was quite a bit like driving a sandglider, though the ones she drove always had handles and a petal for each foot.

"Okay. Let's do this."

Action:  Drhive le Carh
Last edited by Western Fardelshufflestein on Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:36 am

Ralnis wrote:
Isaiah B. Winslow

Isaiah got up slowly from the haze of sleep and took the ruined blanket off of him. His suit jacket was on top of the back of the couch and his shoes were at it's feet. His body no longer felt the freezing grip of the ocean and the warmth of a building set around him. He looked at the warm cup of tea on the near slanted table that were still steaming hot. He didn't deny the offer of hospitality and took it and drank it while he was able to focus on everything that has happened to him in the ruined place.

This, like the rest of Harkback, felt like it was out of a movie he saw long ago. Spy movies unlike that of James Bond or The Man From U.N.C.L.E but he wasn't the main character. He never felt like it when he decided to follow Curiosity down to the ship to figure about a Baron's death. Now he is stuck in a spy movie he shouldn't had been part of in the first place. Yet, he managed to save a rebel organization on the brink of destruction, but he thinks that he...

He had to speak up, it's the only way to get the warning out. Daring was surely meowing at the table as the cat looked at the woman arguing with the Brown Coa- Thomas about what to do with him. It was now or never.

E-excuse me Isaiah said, getting them to both look at him, I agree with- he pointed with the person that spoke about downtown, I think that they have gotten me on some sort of surveillance and I'm a loose end for your organization.

He takes another sip of the tea to calm his nerves as Daring purrs at the sight of his courage.

I know I saved you guys. Like I told uhh-you guys, I barely knew who Rubert was truly until after his suicide. I only knew him as the Baron on the ship I was travelling from. But I don't think that matters now. What does is that I would like to help you if would tell me more about Saturn. I mean, I don't look like much, but I was a career criminal when I was young. Was what allowed me to go to college and get my Fellowship in Communications, not that matters now. But if you need my help with anything, then please let me try.

If anything, for not throwing me into the ocean for my escapade.
He smiled weakly at Thomas on that regard.

"Tell you more about Saturn? I... knew it... What naive brickheads do you take us for?"

"Calm down Tom, he clearly doesn't know anything. He stumbled upon a vital clue, and chose us over the authorities."

"Any why on the moon would he do that?"

"He said it. He had a criminal past. He knows big sister is up to no good and not to trust her. He's... with us."

"I still can't believe it... I'm keping my eyes on him. One wrong move..." - But Thomas didn't finish the sentence.

Ariel used the brief silence to start formulating a plan, unfurling a map of the greater harkback metroplex on the table, and using a vial of salt to mark their current position.

"This is where we are."

She then pushed a the vial of red spice to the U-bahn stop: "Renoire"

"And this is where... we need to go."

"What if they got a mind control thing inside of him?"

"Tom, you're going crazy."

"What if he's a TIN MAN?"

"He is not... I checked. Okay? We don't need to tell him anything he doesn't have to know, he could be very useful that way."
"Now, can we get back to the plan?"
"..."
"Thank you."
"So..."
"This leaves us with few options."
"We obviously can't go by boat, so that leaves us taxi through A-bahn or the trains."

"Wait... wait, hold on, we could... we could just send it by mail."

"Yes, Tom, we could tube it, and have one of his graduate students stumble upon it while searching his office for answer booklets. We need to think of something else."

"Well all right then... what do you think, criminal mastermind? How should we get to Renoir?" - Thomas said, turning to Isaiah.
Last edited by Harkback Union on Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:25 am

Isaiah B. Winslow,
Saturn Safehouse

Isaiah regretted saying what he had said as of right now. Thomas went from a somewhat friendly man to a paranoid one in an instant. He claimed for things that Isaiah didn't even know was possible. Mind control? Tin men? He knew what they meant but something was off, like they were talking about actual mind control and robotics. Like beyond the stuff he used to watch as a child. It only fit the surreal environment that was Harkback and this organization.

As the two of them fought and decided to trust him with limited information, Isaiah just took a sip of the tea. He already said too much in his mind and Curiosity was just looking at the two with an unusual focus. The dog was always focused when it comes to trying and figure secrets out. These Saturn guys were already on-edge and Isaiah was as well. I mean, being shot at and, now chased in an unknown nation with terrorists tend to do that to the mind.

As Thomas and Ariel went through the plan about going to get some kind of documents from a student, he knew that this had to be the professor of the group. But it was quickly discarded. This meant that they were trying to rally everyone on the note. He needed to try to and help as best as he could, since he's hunted now. Isaiah could already figure out he was pinpointed as an associate of Saturn and was to be hunted with all manner of impunity.

When Thomas looked at him and called him a "criminal mastermind" Isaiah slightly chuckled in his tea. He didn't want to be made a fool after he managed to help them out to escape the police or "Big Sister" as they called the oppressive government. Looking at the map of the large metroplex he saw-

(Curiosity d10
3)

A gap in the road network. Something so small, but one that can work.

What about here? What's that gap right here? Isaiah asked Ariel while pointing.

Ariel explained that it used to be canal that has been built over, but water still flows through it. The former criminal asked how large the canal and she was said that it was big enough to still be used as a wastewater management. Already the wheels were turning as Curiosity started to travel the gab with his snout. Charting it to a metaphysical line through the canals supposed network.

I have an idea. Why don't we take your watertaxi Ariel through the canal? It can cross through the Bay of... Isaiah was looking at the name of the area, Charlottengrad. We can take it to another part of the canal network towards Renior and this other place, Neu-Babel. Understand that I don't know if this is overlooked or much about the city since I only been here for a few hours. But it's the best shot we have as of right now.

Isaiah looked at both of them as he drained the last of the tea.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 am

Lunas Legion wrote:Isabella de Tervain, ??:??

Well, wasn't that terribly irritating. Both equally alike in their illegality. One, the old capital, the old center. Stripped of culture and history and power, with the source of wealth, all it had left, drying up. All in all, plenty of reasons to be resentful. Dunnrhof sounded more like the typical post-industrial area one might find everywhere, abandoned businesses, illegal trade. That it was riddled with informants was a mark against it. More informants would mean they were more likely to find her mark, this mysterious... Mr Windslow.

Xavier scratched his chin and suggested leaving it up to luck, withdrawing a tiny golden metronome-like thing and stting a little grey whale to one side, a toy cable car on the other. He wound up the machine and pressed a button, sending an indicator swinging wildly.

Isabella watched as if hypnotized, waiting for the result-

It halted dead center.

How... Anti-climatic. Xavier suggested splitting up. A wise choice.

"Very well. I'll take the skytram, Zadox." Isabella said, tapping the toy cable car. "You don't happen to have long-range portable radioes available, do you? If we could communicate, we could use the Z-Bahn to move from one to the other, if, of course, we pick up signs of our quarry at one or the other."

Action: After waiting to see if Xavier has radioes available or not, travel to Zadox via K- and U-Bahns.

"There is a radio in the car, but portable on foot? Are you sure you want one? You don't like the type who'd ever want to use it..."

Xavier retrieves a portable radio from the trunk of his car, but its bulky and looks ridiculous, incurring an unavoidable -3 style penalty while in inventory.
Are you sure you want to take it?

"So you take Zadox... good thinking. The Evening Telegraph doesn't know you yet. You'll have an easier time blending in."
"We have an agent there, but you can't find him. He'll find you instead. I'll give him a call."
"He'll be your guide to the area. "

Xavier opens the passenger side door to his motorcar, gesturing for Isabella to get in.

"There is a place we need to visit first in Charlottengrad. I'll drop you off at the Z-bahn stop on my way to Dunnrhof. You can get to Zadox that way. I can't have you walking around town with that rifle like that..."

A-Bahn

Traffic was sparse, usually a sign of a jam somewhere else. The Sentinel Cruiser sped past the cathedral spires soon found itself among giant pipes and elevated tramlines. Xavier skillfully steered off the highway at the Charlottengrad Music Hall sign. The car parked just short of the ancient opera house.

A flickering light outside marked the entrance to Madame Blanchard's Nationalized Music Boutique.

""Wait here." - Xavier entered the store, and soon returned with a cello, case and all. Instead of returning to the car however, he walked over to a nearby garbage chute and threw in the cello. It took some forcing, but the chute accepted it. He then returned to Isabella.

"You can transport your weapon in this. If anybody asks, you play in the Charlottengrad Chamber Orchestra. String Section, 2nd cellist. If they ask you anything music related, tell them its classified."
"They'll understand."

Xavier then drove the 2nd cellist to the Z-bahn stop, where a watertaxi was already taking on passengers...

Gained item:
-Cello case
(May also gain portable radio if you choose to)
Last edited by Harkback Union on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:51 pm

"Ah." Isabella said, looking at the radio with visible disdain. "I had expected something more... Subtle, perhaps, so your assessment of me is correct. I'll pass on the radio."

She slid into the passenger seat, shutting the door behind her. Yes, she really should have thought about the gun. She hadn't had it, so it'd briefly slipped her mind.

Traffic was, mercifully, sparse. Perhaps there was a jam elsewhere, perhaps it was simply a quiet time of day. Perhaps this was simply a quiet part of the city. Who knew? They sped past cathedral spires which swiftly turned into giant pipes and elevated tram lines, Xavier turning off at the Charlottengrad Music Hall junction. She hadn't even known they'd had a music hall. Perhaps she'd have to check it out later, when not hot on the heels of a quarry.

They stopped just short of the ancient-looking opera house, in front of a flickering light that read Madame Blanchard's Nationalized Music Boutique. Why had they stopped at a music store? She waited patiently in the car. Xavier was quick, returning with a cello and its case. She winced visibly as he forced the cello down a garbage chute. Musican instruments deserved a bit more respect.

"I know a little of music." Isabella nodded, taking the cello case and sliding her long rifle into it. It'd rattle a little, but it should be fine. They stopped at the Z-Bahn stop, and she climbed out. "Best of luck in Dunnrhof." She shut the door and went to board the Z-Bahn. Hopefully it didn't turn out she was seasick easily.

Action: Take the Z-Bahn to Zadox

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:38 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"As a military woman, I've gone through too many medical exams already. I think I'll go straight to this 'game show' you mentioned, no need for an escort, I'll find it myself. But, if you don't mind, is there a place I can change, first?"

"Yes, yes. Down hallway is restroom." he said, waving her towards the left. "Very well. Welcome to glorious Harkbak. Enjoy your stay."

Back outside the restroom, she looked around and located the customs agent that confiscated her stuff. As long as he wasn't looking, she might be able to snatch her case back. Nobody would know what was inside, it could be luggage once she was passed Customs. The carbon blade wouldn't even trigger metal detectors.

Action: Marie looks for an opening to retrieve her longsword case

Marie hung around the lobby for a while, keeping an eye on the customs agent. It was not long before a second customs officer approached the desk, evidently relieving the first from his duty. Her bin of confiscated items sat with the others, in a large stack next to the inspection station.

She also noticed that workers regularly came in to remove the confiscated item bins, taking them into some back rooms to be destroyed, sold, or...whatever the Harkback Union did with these items.

Luck: 45

The new customs agent was preoccupied with a young man and woman, who looked quite similar - possibly related. The young man was protesting the confiscation of several items, and the customs agent was very distracted. He wasn't looking at the bins...

Daring roll: 1

Marie walked briskly towards the bins, checking left and right if anyone was looking - and snatched her case back! She silently lifted it off the stack as she quickly stepped past, putting it on her shoulder by the strap. It was lucky that the weapon was in a rather non-distinct case - alongside her suitcase, it looked like just another carryon. She then went to the Labor Office...

Only to be met by the first customs officer - the man with the scar. He waved leisurely at her, before squinting at the case.

"Hmm." he mused, pointing a finger at it. "How did you get that back?"

"No matter. Is time for the Wheel!" he says, perking up and showing the first sign of life or excitement. He turns and gestures to a large spinning wheel, with hundreds of slices. It is covered in gold paint and inlaid with brass, almost garish in appearance.

"Give it a spin."

Chikchikchikchikchik chik chik chik chik chik chik...chik...chik...chik...chik...chik...clunk!

The wheel slowly creaks to a halt, with the bright gold arrow at the top pointing at the slice indicating her destiny.

Luck roll: 99

"Wastewater Maintenance Worker." the Labor Officer reads, making a face. "Unfortunate."

He looks around.

Luck roll: 45. Nobody is looking closely.

"For the sword," he whispers, "I could roll again."

Marie attempts to offer the mushrooms instead.

Style roll: 4. Highest roll, so moves up to the next difficulty. Style Roll: 5.

"No, I don't want those. No? No other bribe? You want to be sewer worker? Strange." the officer huffs, evidently displeased at the lack of material gain. Sighing, he stamps a hole in a form and feeds it into a second machine. It hums for a few seconds, makes a crackling noise, and then feeds out an ID card.

Marie - 99363
Occupation: Wastewater Pipeline Technician, Eindaam Aquatic, Eindaam
Address: 12-12 Eindaam, Vlootstraat 30 Floor -7,
Z-Bahn Pass
Balance: 0 -M-

"Very well. Be on your way." the Labor Officer finishes, handing her the card.
Last edited by Lazarian on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:12 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Duwall Zeeport, Integration Office
Eliadora, Mistress of the Shattered Tower

Co-written with Lazarian

"Papers, please." a sharp-faced man with an unseemly scar calls to Eliadora, as she approaches the Labor Office. Beside him is an enormous contraption covered in tubes and levers, although one has distinctly been broken.

Eliadora hands him the shimmering passport wordlessly. He raises an eyebrow, evidently unaware of the Shattered Tower. The interest is quickly replaced with indifference, however.

"Well. This all looks in order." the Labor Officer continues, words laden with a heavy accent. He gestures towards a large wheel, which has been rolled over next to the machine. It is garishly decorated, rimmed with golden paint and covered in small lightbulbs on the edge.

"The machine is broken. They say it is very smart. But it is not. Wheel is better." Vas says, with a shrug.

Eliadora approaches the wheel and gives it a spin.

Chikchikchikchikchik chik chik chik chik chik chik...chik...chik...chik...chik...chik...clunk!

They both stare at the wheel as it grinds to a halt.

"Wastewater Pipeline Maintenance." the Labor Officer reads, grimacing.

"Do not like it? I understand. We could give another spin." the Officer whispers, looking around.

Nobody is looking. The other workers are busy placing their papers into their respective machines, and evidently the overseer is missing.

"For a price." he adds, the left side of his mouth twisting into an unseemly grin. With a slight frown, Eliadora digs into the folds of her robe, before sliding several bronze coins of unknown make into the unscrupulous labor officer's conveniently open hand.

Eliadora gives the wheel another spin.

Vas stares at the result and chuckles, shaking his head.
"Oh, fate is cruel. How unfortunate." he says, although it is clear he does not actually find the outcome all that tragic.

Eliadora frowns slightly, withdrawing her golden timepiece from her robes for the second time in one day.

Click click.

Vas stands stock-still as the world around both of them reverses, one of the adjacent workers taking a few steps backward unnaturally. Only Eliadora, Vas, and the wheel seem to be exempt from the retreating flow of the river of time.

Ker-chunk.

With a start, time's grasp returns, Eliadora gesturing impatiently to the wheel.

"Uh... sure."

Vas spins the wheel once more-

"Timekeeper. How quaint," Eliadora remarks, retrieving the paper in one hand and striding away.

"Have a nice day." Vas says, clearly unnerved.

Eliadora - 45688
Occupation: Auxiliary Timekeeper - Central Administrative Bureau - Neu-babel. Administrative rank: 1 (Mauve)
Address: 05-77 Kultgarten, Sternnachtplatz 12/F, Floor 10, Apartment 107,
U-Bahn Pass
S-Bahn Pass
Balance: 0 -M-

U-Bahn/S-Bahn to Kultgarten

A maze of subterranean passages, spiraling machine-stairs and confusing way signs, also known as U-Bahn and S-Bahn in the Harkback Union was a refreshingly surreal experience to ride. It wasn't till the S-bahn left Neu-Babel station that Eliadora felt the need to feel dazed.

Daring - d10

Even the Mistress of the Shattered Tower was completely unprepared for mind-twisting scale of Neu-Babel.

Condition Gained: Dazed
-1 Violence, -1 Daring

S-Bahn Attendant

"Madame? Are you allright?"

Towers.. towers, towers everywhere... unshattered. They were taunting her.

"There is carriage without windows in the back, if that helps."

But the damage was already done. No matter, It will all be soon over.

The train stopped at Kultgarten with such haste that anyone not holding onto something would have slid through the whole of the carriage. The unmoving ground of the platform was a welcome relief.

Finding the apartment tower in this chaos of a city was a daunting task, but she had all the time in the world. She got there, eventually.

The lobby was spacious, the interior decor rich in unfamiliar religious themes. An elevator was already waiting for her. She got in. Pressed a button. Doors closed. She arrived at her floor, but could immediately feel something was off. There were several uniformed officers, and they were gathered around the apartment she was assigned to. One of them even had the impudence to get in her way as she walked across the corridor.

"Fräulein? You're from this floor?"
"Bertrand 58857, Kultgarten SD. May I ask you to stay wait here for a moment? Overseer Lagrande will have a few questions for you, just one moment."
Last edited by Harkback Union on Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:54 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:
Fellow Cabbie
(Image)

" Merde. "

Attempt to drive car?

"A...alright, I think I'll try it." Sahara climbed out of the car and, on shaky legs, slipped into the driver's seat. She kept the statue in her lap, positioned it so it wouldn't interfere too much with her driving. The case, at least, was not large all things considering. She asked the cabbie to tell her what everything was again, then positioned her hands on the wheel.

It was warm and slick where the cabbie's hands had been, and her own hands slid around in feeble attempts for purchase. Her knuckles shook, and her foot floundered for too long before it clamped down upon the unseen brake. She felt the brake tighten beneath her, felt the humming generator scoff as though mocking her. Tentatively, she extended her fingers toward what he said was the horn and pushed it. A horrid blare emitted from the vehicle; she flinched, mesmerized and terrified by the sound. She pressed it again and again in the hopes that doing so would ease her fear of the noise. It did not.

The cabbie told her how to turn the wheel, and she did so to get the feel of it before she started driving. It was quite a bit like driving a sandglider, though the ones she drove always had handles and a petal for each foot.

"Okay. Let's do this."

Action:  Drhive le Carh

DARING - D10

Drhiving Le Carh

The engine roared like a lion at a roaring contest and the cab took off like rocket, for a brief second that is. Then, the lion started coughing, like a poorly maintained engine, and the car stopped accelerating, like a rocket that ran out of fuel.
"Trésbien, now, switch gears, oui, push sat!"
The lion roared again, and again, and again, getting better and better at it, and cab increasingly looked like a rocket, with all the smoke and embers bursting fourth from the exhaust pipe.
The container yard way long and straight. They were driving under a chain of cranes that drove around on rails, spinning shipping containers above from one side to the other. One of the steel birds had the idea to swing its load dangerously low. Dangerously low for Sahara that is.

DARING - D12

"MERDEEEEE!" - Her passenger screamed, anticipating imminent death. But Sahara saw no problem. With a quick swing of the wheel, she dodged the deadly cargo. - "Sat... was... some good drhiving." - He admitted.

"I sink you know si basics alrheady. Lets not push it too farh, eh? I'll drhive you back to Palais-Clockbern."

Give back wheel to cabbie?
Push your luck and drive yourself?
Last edited by Harkback Union on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:43 pm

Winthrop's internal reverie and interesting intuitions about the energetic makeup of the Harkbackian atmosphere were rudely interrupted when the other passenger's parcel decided to drop in the middle of his cup of tea. His eyes opened slowly, casting a baleful glare at the wristwatch, which he fished out of his cup and handed to the other man.

"Well, that was efficiently timed. Not that it will exactly help our profile."

The gout of flame which had liberated the device, the ionization from which the Scion could still smell in the air about the watch, had caused a small amount of consternation in the vehicles behind their conveyance. A steady stream of parcels, packages, and papers was now pouring onto the motorway, causing several of the high-speed Harkback drivers to shout in disdain, clank their cars against one another as their tires slipped on the bureaucratic blood of the nation, and generally precipitating a commotion that was only gathering in intensity.

The authorities might not have noted their departure from customs, if bribes had been applied correctly, but those strictures of financially incentivized disinterest were likely being stretched even as they drove onward. More and more incidents related to their passage would raise the cost of social capitol to ignore them, and though the Orator was congenitally incapable of keeping a low profile permanently, he was rather fond of deciding when he revealed himself to the ruling powers of whatever principality he happened to reside in.

A less prudent individual might have flung the man, wristwatch and all, from the back of the truck. But that would cause gossip, even in such a professionally myopic society as the Union; he doubted the drivers that raced along with them, a few scant feet away, were likely to ignore a casual defenestration from the motorway. And it might result in a death, which drew the attention of the authorities like flies in a nation with any conceivable social contract.

The discovery of the energetic content of the airwaves spelled several solutions to the problem, though, if was sufficiently creative. The hulking inventor slipped a variety of small metal ingots out of his traveling case, some cadmium, some lithium, some neodynium... yes, yes. Platinum folding coils for the Inver-Swaller Strong Interaction. He was certain that the energetic atmosphere here was fundamentally intertwined with the chronological phenomenon he had sensed recently. And good science was its own reward. He extracted a measure of lead and antimony from the callus on his palm, genuine locally sourced materials, and began to work.

Fabricate Visual Diffuser to obscure the appearance of the passengers on the back of the truck from his assortment of ingots and trace minerals from the lovely polluted Harkback air
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:28 pm

Ralnis wrote:Isaiah B. Winslow,
Saturn Safehouse

Isaiah regretted saying what he had said as of right now. Thomas went from a somewhat friendly man to a paranoid one in an instant. He claimed for things that Isaiah didn't even know was possible. Mind control? Tin men? He knew what they meant but something was off, like they were talking about actual mind control and robotics. Like beyond the stuff he used to watch as a child. It only fit the surreal environment that was Harkback and this organization.

As the two of them fought and decided to trust him with limited information, Isaiah just took a sip of the tea. He already said too much in his mind and Curiosity was just looking at the two with an unusual focus. The dog was always focused when it comes to trying and figure secrets out. These Saturn guys were already on-edge and Isaiah was as well. I mean, being shot at and, now chased in an unknown nation with terrorists tend to do that to the mind.

As Thomas and Ariel went through the plan about going to get some kind of documents from a student, he knew that this had to be the professor of the group. But it was quickly discarded. This meant that they were trying to rally everyone on the note. He needed to try to and help as best as he could, since he's hunted now. Isaiah could already figure out he was pinpointed as an associate of Saturn and was to be hunted with all manner of impunity.

When Thomas looked at him and called him a "criminal mastermind" Isaiah slightly chuckled in his tea. He didn't want to be made a fool after he managed to help them out to escape the police or "Big Sister" as they called the oppressive government. Looking at the map of the large metroplex he saw-

(Curiosity d10
3)

A gap in the road network. Something so small, but one that can work.

What about here? What's that gap right here? Isaiah asked Ariel while pointing.

Ariel explained that it used to be canal that has been built over, but water still flows through it. The former criminal asked how large the canal and she was said that it was big enough to still be used as a wastewater management. Already the wheels were turning as Curiosity started to travel the gab with his snout. Charting it to a metaphysical line through the canals supposed network.

I have an idea. Why don't we take your watertaxi Ariel through the canal? It can cross through the Bay of... Isaiah was looking at the name of the area, Charlottengrad. We can take it to another part of the canal network towards Renior and this other place, Neu-Babel. Understand that I don't know if this is overlooked or much about the city since I only been here for a few hours. But it's the best shot we have as of right now.

Isaiah looked at both of them as he drained the last of the tea.

"That might... actually work!" - Ariel said with a sudden smile.

"Right, they would never expect us to be THAT STUPID! Drive around the same shot up water taxi they last saw as in."

"Its just a few minutes out in the open, and then we are safe all the way to Renoir!"
"I've seen these canals, when I was a kid. You could fit a lot more through there then water taxi."
"Of course, its gonna stink like hell."

"I bet the whole bloody navy is out there searching for us. This is literally the worst plan imaginable!"

"You'd rather go by train? Through Neu-Babel? You're sweating all the time Tom, and much too paranoid, the sentinels will spot you in an instant. It would be the Ella Dorina all over again. Lets make sure we don't run into anyone on the way, we can't risk losing the package again."

"Wait!" - Tom searched for something around his seat. Then he suddenly got quite mad. - "Where is it? Where's the package!"

"You are sitting on it"

"Right... okay... good..."

"So, who's in favor of the canal plan?"

"Nonono... you're not doing that. He's not a member, and I have the package, I veto the motion!"

"Fine! Then I'll just go alone... You two boys go ahead and buy an S-bahn pass without a valid ID card or money. We'll meet at the university, okay? Good luck!" - With that, Ariel left the table, picked up her coat went for the exit...

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Harkback Union wrote:

"Right, they would never expect us to be THAT STUPID! Drive around the same shot up water taxi they last saw as in."

"Its just a few minutes out in the open, and then we are safe all the way to Renoir!"
"I've seen these canals, when I was a kid. You could fit a lot more through there then water taxi."

"I bet the whole bloody navy is out there searching for us. This is literally the worst plan imaginable!"

"You'd rather go by train? Through Neu-Babel? You're sweating all the time Tom, and much too paranoid, the sentinels will spot you in an instant. It would be the Ella Dorina all over again. Lets make sure we don't run into anyone on the way, we can't risk losing the package again."

"Wait!" - Tom searched for something around his seat. Then he suddenly got quite mad. - "Where is it? Where's the package!"

"You are sitting on it"

"Nonono... you're not doing that. He's not a member, and I have the package, I veto the motion!"

"Fine! Then I'll just go alone... You two boys go ahead and buy an S-bahn pass without a valid ID card or money. We'll meet at the university, okay? Good luck!" - With that, Ariel left the table, picked up her coat went for the exit...

Once again, Isaiah didn't want to say anything but saw that this would be good for the canal plan. One thing he noted about the whole argument was that Thomas was a paranoid sort. One who was switch from one extreme to the next when faced with pressure. Isaiah was the same and why he needed something to help calm himself, like the ice fox he had hours ago.

Damn I need a drink again. Maybe a smoke or something. I don't want-

Craving looks at him with a lazy eye, but one that could turn fierce and evil if Isaiah didn't do anything about it soon. His thoughts were stopped at the sight of Areil leaving and leaving a stumped Thomas and him. With a sigh, the former criminal checked his wristwatch and saw that the time still didn't match the sky and prepared to leave.

Thomas, Isaiah turned to the brown coat man, I know this isn't my part of saying anything but I don't know that mind control existed in this world, let alone America. And the only Tin Men I know is the one from the Wizard of Oz and that one German movie. Understand, while I know very little of what's going on, you should try to trust me.

He followed Areil out the door.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:38 pm

Harkback Union wrote:
New Luciannova wrote:I have chosen to negotiate for the return of my items.

Walking cane- "The shard of metal you found in the core is simply there to reinforce the wooden exterior, which makes a sturdy walking stick." I grip the swords ends tightly and show that it does not cut my hand and have Antonia do the same (the sword would likely be an estok which is only particularly sharp toward the tip. Should he not buy this I will ask if he could simply detach the sword from the hilt, so I can keep the brass end, "it's a very easy job to detatch, I need the brass handle to keep my back straight and grip the stick appropriately.

9mm pistol and shotgun along with ammunition- "These weapons have nevder been fired and are purely for personal defense. I see you have a firearm on you which means there is a way to obtain firearms in this country. Is there a way in which I can register them for such use?"

Bible- "This book has given me hope when I never had any," I point out a verse to him in Isaiah about that and drop a 50 Peso Note into the book furtively then close it."

Book of Law- "If your legal system is the best and your people are adequately comfortable for that this should not be a threat of any kind. I was an attorney where I come from and would like to have a starting point to compare your laws to mine should I be allowed to practice."

"Playing Cards- "This is actually a paper calculator. I heard electronic ones could be confiscated, the J, Q, and K are there for algebraic functions."

Chess Set- "Does your country not allow games? If so, what's allowed and is popular?"

I also ask where I can get warmer clothing. He was right, it was a bit chilly. Luciano was wearing a suit and bow tie, Antonia a sun dress.

"A walking aid, disguised as a weapon?"
"Steal counts as contraband."

"Firearm is firearm, rules are clear. You are not allowed to enter the union with them."

"Book of hope?"
"To store Illegal currency in?"
"It will heat the city."

"There is no need for lawyers in the union."
"You will receive real employment at the alien integration office."
"This book will also be converted to energy."

"Cards an outdated form of arithmetic aide?"
"Very well, approved."

"Harkback Union has its own games. Learn those instead."
"Now please move along. You're holding up the line..."

Luciano was glad to be able to negotiate for the return of his deck of playing cards. He ordinarily would have pushed back harder, but he decided to get a feel for this fascist state before ruffling any feathers, again, he had a duty to his sister and himself--safety. He was starting to dislike this place already, no lawyers, customs taking everything? What a moral cess pool. He decided to get the medical checkup before heading to the labor office. He deduced he could see if he could get an IQ test to show to the labor officials. He informed Antonia that they both had best appear somewhat physically weak during the medical checkup, judging by what had occurred at customs the last thing he wanted was to be put in a mine somewhere or working in agriculture, or any other miserable and physical taxing role. Evidence of a high IQ and physical fraility would be beneficial.

(Note: I negotiated for merely the cane's brass handle, which I was able to show I could disconnect the sword from).

Luciano clutched the cane on his way in for the medical checkup and Antonia feigned struggling to so much as hold her own door. The two remained in their professional clothing to portray themselves as high status.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:53 pm

Z-Bahn Station- Duwall district
2/10 HU

Marie, while displeased that the Labor Office official had refused her bribe, was not too put out. Wastewater Technician? Hardly the most glamorous job, sure... but she could live with that much more easily than she could live without the contents of her case. She was a warrior by trade... this sword represented that status, and was that was more important than a fancier job title. Besides, she was sure she could earn, bribe, lie, or, if necessary, kill her way up to something better with time.

She swiped her pass and boarded one of the Z-Bahn cars, Westbound for Eindaam Station. She did not marvel at the rail cars as she stepped onto the nearest one... public transport was no stranger to her, a native of Reckoner, where the maglev rail system was the most efficient way to move about the labyrinth-like sections of the ship. She only made note of those nearby, who was most likely to bother her, and who reeked too badly to sit next to.

Not that her new occupation would be much better smelling, she supposed. Might need to get used to that. The dark, the claustrophobia of the tunnels... these would be no worse than the unlit maintenance corridors on Reckoner, the hidden passages throughout the ship that connected more spacious areas, the recesses she had hid in as a child... or the ones she had hid in as an adult, fighting on an alien world. No, these were all comforting to her... but neither the confines of the Homeship nor the environments of Xeno worlds smelled like human waste.

After what seemed like an eternity, the train ground to a stop at the Eindaam Station. Marie debarked the train, left the station after briefly double checking to make sure she retained her belongings, and looked down at her ID card. "Twelve dash Twelve Eindaam, Vlootstraat Thirty Floor Negative Seven, huh?" She remarked. "Well, I suppose I should ask someone for directions."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:16 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:Z-Bahn Station- Duwall district
2/10 HU

Marie, while displeased that the Labor Office official had refused her bribe, was not too put out. Wastewater Technician? Hardly the most glamorous job, sure... but she could live with that much more easily than she could live without the contents of her case. She was a warrior by trade... this sword represented that status, and was that was more important than a fancier job title. Besides, she was sure she could earn, bribe, lie, or, if necessary, kill her way up to something better with time.

She swiped her pass and boarded one of the Z-Bahn cars, Westbound for Eindaam Station. She did not marvel at the rail cars as she stepped onto the nearest one... public transport was no stranger to her, a native of Reckoner, where the maglev rail system was the most efficient way to move about the labyrinth-like sections of the ship. She only made note of those nearby, who was most likely to bother her, and who reeked too badly to sit next to.

Not that her new occupation would be much better smelling, she supposed. Might need to get used to that. The dark, the claustrophobia of the tunnels... these would be no worse than the unlit maintenance corridors on Reckoner, the hidden passages throughout the ship that connected more spacious areas, the recesses she had hid in as a child... or the ones she had hid in as an adult, fighting on an alien world. No, these were all comforting to her... but neither the confines of the Homeship nor the environments of Xeno worlds smelled like human waste.

After what seemed like an eternity, the train ground to a stop at the Eindaam Station. Marie debarked the train, left the station after briefly double checking to make sure she retained her belongings, and looked down at her ID card. "Twelve dash Twelve Eindaam, Vlootstraat Thirty Floor Negative Seven, huh?" She remarked. "Well, I suppose I should ask someone for directions."

Z-bahn

The amphibious express train cut through the waves like knife though alien skin. It was a unique contraption, as the other Z-bahn vessels looked significantly more boat-like, but this line had a long distance to cover, and there were many passengers, so a special water-train was commissioned and put into service. Through the window Marie saw the chimney stacks of Charlottengrad and Mottow swing past with breathtaking speed, but not as breathtaking as the clouds of smoke gathering above them. Then came the curvy radio towers of Renoir and its ornate arch-bridges over the bay, and finally, Eindaam.

Eindaam

A district built around a single monolithic dam that was actually two less impressive dams built on top of each other. The area surrounding the dam was rich in transformer stations and thick clouds of vapor, the combination leading to an unnerving ambience of zap, zap, zap as electric sparks jumped across wires. The Z-bahn stop seemed dangerously close to the dam, but it was the center of the district, so that's where Marie was dropped off. With little idea of where to go, she started asking questions.

Luck

A True Luminary
"Do I look like a way sign?"
"Zere are many Voolstraats around here, which one did you hafe in mind?"
"It depends on your laborsraum. What industry were you assigned to?"
"WasteWater?! "
"You better komm with me zen, Sister! Zie boss will want to have a word with you no doubt! Welcome to WasteWater!"

She pulled Marie towards the nearest manhole, where with a single hand she threw off the cover and gestured towards Marie to follow her.

The boss
"You Fräus are right on time. Ve got some trouble in Sektor 328/E/K."
"Sie Big Boss called for reinforcements Zere. Gear up at sie armory and head over there forthvith!"
"You're nev... aren't you? Velcome to VasteVater!"

The conversation took place underneath a spinning red alarm light, and to the sound of a nearby siren.
The armory was right next door. Benches, lockers, flickering overhead lights. There weren't any guns, grenades or chainsaws though. Not even a hatchet or a knife.
Only Flamethrowers.

Before they would go to Sektor 328/E/K, Marie's new sister gave her something. It was in a neat little package. A present?
A small contraption that looked like 2 whistles glued together. Sister took it and pushed it into Marie's nose.
She didn't explain what it was, but the sewers suddenly smelled very pleasant.

Big Boss
"You're die Hilfstruppen? You are a gottsent! Ve hafe almost been oferrunn!"
"No need für saluting me. I'm not really ein boss. No one ist."
"Zis vhole sektor is bursting at zie seams."
"Ve need helpe at sie intersektion hier, guard sie flank of 3rd brigade. Zhey are badly exposed."
"You are all zie rezerves ve hafe. Zere von't be any reinforcements! Fight till sie last drop of gasoline!"
"Halt on! You, you are nev rekruit? Wilkommen zu WastWasser!"

Item gained:
Flamethrower (Optional)
Smell-Inverter (Optional)
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:53 am

New Luciannova wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:
(Image)
"A walking aid, disguised as a weapon?"
"Steal counts as contraband."

"Firearm is firearm, rules are clear. You are not allowed to enter the union with them."

"Book of hope?"
"To store Illegal currency in?"
"It will heat the city."

"There is no need for lawyers in the union."
"You will receive real employment at the alien integration office."
"This book will also be converted to energy."

"Cards an outdated form of arithmetic aide?"
"Very well, approved."

"Harkback Union has its own games. Learn those instead."
"Now please move along. You're holding up the line..."

Luciano was glad to be able to negotiate for the return of his deck of playing cards. He ordinarily would have pushed back harder, but he decided to get a feel for this fascist state before ruffling any feathers, again, he had a duty to his sister and himself--safety. He was starting to dislike this place already, no lawyers, customs taking everything? What a moral cess pool. He decided to get the medical checkup before heading to the labor office. He deduced he could see if he could get an IQ test to show to the labor officials. He informed Antonia that they both had best appear somewhat physically weak during the medical checkup, judging by what had occurred at customs the last thing he wanted was to be put in a mine somewhere or working in agriculture, or any other miserable and physical taxing role. Evidence of a high IQ and physical fraility would be beneficial.

(Note: I negotiated for merely the cane's brass handle, which I was able to show I could disconnect the sword from).

Luciano clutched the cane on his way in for the medical checkup and Antonia feigned struggling to so much as hold her own door. The two remained in their professional clothing to portray themselves as high status.

The medical station they came across lay abandoned and sacked, paperwork all over the floor. Whats going on?

Curiosity - d6

The signs says "be right back", but they clearly haven't been back for awhile. Is someone missing?

Curiosity - d10

There is a mysterious corridor to the side. Behind a corner, a shoe and a leg. A nurse, dead? No, unconscious. A thick syringe in her body.

Daring - d10

Its doing her no good. There is noone around. The syringe comes out easy. Only a bit of blood spilled.
She soon awakes, slowly pulling herself up and straightening what's left of her uniform. She doesn't suspect anything, but looks very confused instead. She returns to her post and cleans up the mess there, then signals she's ready for the inspection.

Chronically Unfriendly Nurse
"Step on this first."
A device to measure height and weight.
The outcome is 3 V.

"Now, take a deep breath, and blow into this machine."
A fan starts spinning inside.
A gauge measures 5 units of something labelled D.

"Now try and read the letters from that table over there."
Luciano made it to the 7th letter, so he was graded 7 C by the nurse.

"Now tell me, what do you see here?"
The nurse showed a messy picture of something that could be pretty much anything.
He got an 8 I.

"Now, choose which of these hats is the most classless."
He got a 7!

"Clearly however, you lack the strength for heavy labor."
"You are also completely unhinged."
"Take these papers to alien integration, you'll be assigned a workplace and an address."

Item gained:
Syringe of Paralysis
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:39 am

Ralnis wrote:
Harkback Union wrote:

"You are sitting on it"

Once again, Isaiah didn't want to say anything but saw that this would be good for the canal plan. One thing he noted about the whole argument was that Thomas was a paranoid sort. One who was switch from one extreme to the next when faced with pressure. Isaiah was the same and why he needed something to help calm himself, like the ice fox he had hours ago.

Damn I need a drink again. Maybe a smoke or something. I don't want-

Craving looks at him with a lazy eye, but one that could turn fierce and evil if Isaiah didn't do anything about it soon. His thoughts were stopped at the sight of Areil leaving and leaving a stumped Thomas and him. With a sigh, the former criminal checked his wristwatch and saw that the time still didn't match the sky and prepared to leave.

Thomas, Isaiah turned to the brown coat man, I know this isn't my part of saying anything but I don't know that mind control existed in this world, let alone America. And the only Tin Men I know is the one from the Wizard of Oz and that one German movie. Understand, while I know very little of what's going on, you should try to trust me.

He followed Areil out the door.

And what you're gonna do out there? You are unregistered. You can't even cross the rod without an ID card here. Stay with me, have a drink or two. Maybe I just need to get to know you better... we're safe here, noone's ever gonna find us!

Stay with Tom?
If not, continue.

Going down a rickety flight of stairs, Isaiah found himself outside, crows circling above. They weren't real crows of course, but old kites stuck in the steel lattice above. Ariel was already busy fix the boat with the tape from before. She also refreshed the engine oil and cleaned the cracked windshield. She did all this with surprising haste. The real question now was, would Tom come along?

Tom did not come along. Ariel finally switched on the ignition and Turned towards Isaiah.

The "A" in Saturn
"Check inside the case under your seat."

The engines roared and water splashed, like a lion in the penguin habitat. Indeed, there was a suitcase under the seat, just like Tom's. But what's inside?

Tom's stuff.

CURIOSITY - D10
Curiosity digs deeper...

Tie of Authority

Tom would never wear this.

Card of Authority

And this was certainly well hidden.

"You understand, foreigner, this business of ours does terribly things to the mind."
"Constantly hiding, or on the run, one wrong move and we're all done."
"It wasn't you who was the liability, it was Tom. He's gone off the A-bahn."
"So... I don't know what blessed spirit told you to come to our help, but it was very much needed."
"We'll accomplish this mission together. Your plan, my boat. Just make sure we don't lose the package."
"If anything happens on the way, Sergenov's works at the Renoir State University, building N. Don't use the elevator, go by stairs, 3rd floor, around the corner."
"If he's not there, just wait."

Ariel masterfully piloted the motorboat around Dunnrhof's ancient canals, crossing below several stone bridges that almost scraped off the windshield. The way to the bay was clear and peaceful, but when they got to this large mass of water, both Ariel and Isaiah heightened their senses...

A small, sodium orange light appeared to be following them through the bay... it was difficult to judge, but it seemed to be...

Curiosity - d12
Focus Used

...rapidly gaining on them. Once alerted to the danger, A single glanc from Ariel was enough to get her to realize the gravity of the situation. She shifted gears, and the taxi picked up pace. Close behind, but no longer gaining on them, the small craft the shape of a motorcycle was piloted by Tom.
He was pissed.
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:50 am

"Ah." Isabella said, looking at the radio with visible disdain. "I had expected something more... Subtle, perhaps, so your assessment of me is correct. I'll pass on the radio."

She slid into the passenger seat, shutting the door behind her. Yes, she really should have thought about the gun. She hadn't had it, so it'd briefly slipped her mind.

Traffic was, mercifully, sparse. Perhaps there was a jam elsewhere, perhaps it was simply a quiet time of day. Perhaps this was simply a quiet part of the city. Who knew? They sped past cathedral spires which swiftly turned into giant pipes and elevated tram lines, Xavier turning off at the Charlottengrad Music Hall junction. She hadn't even known they'd had a music hall. Perhaps she'd have to check it out later, when not hot on the heels of a quarry.

They stopped just short of the ancient-looking opera house, in front of a flickering light that read Madame Blanchard's Nationalized Music Boutique. Why had they stopped at a music store? She waited patiently in the car. Xavier was quick, returning with a cello and its case. She winced visibly as he forced the cello down a garbage chute. Musican instruments deserved a bit more respect.

"I know a little of music." Isabella nodded, taking the cello case and sliding her long rifle into it. It'd rattle a little, but it should be fine. They stopped at the Z-Bahn stop, and she climbed out. "Best of luck in Dunnrhof." She shut the door and went to board the Z-Bahn. Hopefully it didn't turn out she was seasick easily.

Action: Take the Z-Bahn to Zadox

A long Zigzag of catwalks and stairs led Isabella to the pier, where under a large neon blue light, like moths in the night, gathered an assortment of humanity like she's never seen. Dirty steelworkers and classy musicians stood side to side, or where they classy steelworkers and dirty musicians?
Good lord, she could no longer tell.

The watertaxi wouldn't keep them waiting though, arriving with a full load of hooded figures from zadox. They didn't look terribly friendly.

"..."

Whomever they were, people got out of their way.

And not because of politeness.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:18 am

Well. These people didn't look friendly. Indeed, they looked... Rather ominous. Was she supposed to be doing something about this? No. This... Was not her specific task. If everyone else was getting out of the way, then so would she. She wasn't going to be able to do a very good job of hunting her mark if she wasn't able to be subtle, and so she did as everyone else did.

She shied back, out the way of the mysterious, ominous and frankly sinister figures. Best not to upset them if everyone else was scared of them. She just wanted to get on her watertaxi, how hard was that?

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:28 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Winthrop's internal reverie and interesting intuitions about the energetic makeup of the Harkbackian atmosphere were rudely interrupted when the other passenger's parcel decided to drop in the middle of his cup of tea. His eyes opened slowly, casting a baleful glare at the wristwatch, which he fished out of his cup and handed to the other man.

"Well, that was efficiently timed. Not that it will exactly help our profile."

The gout of flame which had liberated the device, the ionization from which the Scion could still smell in the air about the watch, had caused a small amount of consternation in the vehicles behind their conveyance. A steady stream of parcels, packages, and papers was now pouring onto the motorway, causing several of the high-speed Harkback drivers to shout in disdain, clank their cars against one another as their tires slipped on the bureaucratic blood of the nation, and generally precipitating a commotion that was only gathering in intensity.

The authorities might not have noted their departure from customs, if bribes had been applied correctly, but those strictures of financially incentivized disinterest were likely being stretched even as they drove onward. More and more incidents related to their passage would raise the cost of social capitol to ignore them, and though the Orator was congenitally incapable of keeping a low profile permanently, he was rather fond of deciding when he revealed himself to the ruling powers of whatever principality he happened to reside in.

A less prudent individual might have flung the man, wristwatch and all, from the back of the truck. But that would cause gossip, even in such a professionally myopic society as the Union; he doubted the drivers that raced along with them, a few scant feet away, were likely to ignore a casual defenestration from the motorway. And it might result in a death, which drew the attention of the authorities like flies in a nation with any conceivable social contract.

The discovery of the energetic content of the airwaves spelled several solutions to the problem, though, if was sufficiently creative. The hulking inventor slipped a variety of small metal ingots out of his traveling case, some cadmium, some lithium, some neodynium... yes, yes. Platinum folding coils for the Inver-Swaller Strong Interaction. He was certain that the energetic atmosphere here was fundamentally intertwined with the chronological phenomenon he had sensed recently. And good science was its own reward. He extracted a measure of lead and antimony from the callus on his palm, genuine locally sourced materials, and began to work.

Fabricate Visual Diffuser to obscure the appearance of the passengers on the back of the truck from his assortment of ingots and trace minerals from the lovely polluted Harkback air

Eldritch Machining - d12

One deep breath is all it took for a small vortex of dust and expired newspapers to form around the Arch-Fabricant. Like an etheric battlefield, bright flashes of electric discharge filled the air. The radio in the front of the truck crackled, much to the annoyance of the three lookalike drones. The brief anomaly may have attracted a few curious eyes, but it was worth it. Now, Metal flowed like wine, and the diffuser was nearing completion.

Imagination - d20

Somewhat at a loss for Ideas for the diffuser's outward appearance, and with the clock ticking, the cold, hard truth would have to do.

Winthrop & Company Wristwatch Retrieval Service

"Most impressive." - The thin man acknowledged.
"Now we shall have some... relative privacy." - He added.
The diffuser also toned down the racket outside, allowing for easy conversation.
In addition, Dr. Xu has opted to lean back in his seat, content with the successful retrieval of his watch. His presence no longer of significance.
"Afraid we are out of tea, but it shouldn't be long from here. Meantime, if you are curious, I can offer you a wealth of knowledge, both about my employer, and his country."
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:44 am

Well. These people didn't look friendly. Indeed, they looked... Rather ominous. Was she supposed to be doing something about this? No. This... Was not her specific task. If everyone else was getting out of the way, then so would she. She wasn't going to be able to do a very good job of hunting her mark if she wasn't able to be subtle, and so she did as everyone else did.

She shied back, out the way of the mysterious, ominous and frankly sinister figures. Best not to upset them if everyone else was scared of them. She just wanted to get on her watertaxi, how hard was that?

The hooded figures disappeared into the scenery, but in their wake, they left fear and chaos. Many commuters opted to not get on the taxi, but instead run away in panic. Some jumped into the nearby green communications booths and started dialing friends and familiar people.

So it wasn't long till Isabella's turn to get on, but then... something else had to happen.

Another water taxi arrived out of schedule. With ludicrous speed, it made a sharp turn around the Z-bahn stop, Spraying a not insignificant portion of the canal right into her face. The attack was area-of-effect and unavoidable, yet somehow, she was the only victim, with everyone else swiftly deploying their umbrellas.

Splash

Curiosity d10

And who was responsible for this?
She could not believe her eyes.
Her pray... Taunting her... a distinct face under an unmistakable ball of hair.

New Condition
Aquified: Style reduced by 3.

"Hold on tight!"

The taxi swung around, making a 120 degree turn around the Z-bahn stop and into the old canal network. Right behind, the crazed man on a floating motorcycle, now brandishing a gun...
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 am

Isaiah B. Winslow,
Areil's Watertaxi

Seeing Tom angry was understandable. He didn't actually believe the watertaxi driver when she talked about him being a liability. If anything, it was Rubert who could've gotten the whole group captured and killed them all. Tom was paranoid, but Isaiah doesn't think he would actually kill them, only him. It makes perfect sense to be honest but now wasn't the time to blame anyone for a tense situation as of right now. Giving a glance to Areil and turned to the angry ally on a floating motorbike with a gun, she kicked it into high gear.

Is there anything on the boat I can use to get him off our back! I don't think the canon can be used at this range! He yelled at Areil as he ducked down in the boat.

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 am

Ralnis wrote:Isaiah B. Winslow,
Areil's Watertaxi

Seeing Tom angry was understandable. He didn't actually believe the watertaxi driver when she talked about him being a liability. If anything, it was Rubert who could've gotten the whole group captured and killed them all. Tom was paranoid, but Isaiah doesn't think he would actually kill them, only him. It makes perfect sense to be honest but now wasn't the time to blame anyone for a tense situation as of right now. Giving a glance to Areil and turned to the angry ally on a floating motorbike with a gun, she kicked it into high gear.

Is there anything on the boat I can use to get him off our back! I don't think the canon can be used at this range! He yelled at Areil as he ducked down in the boat.

"Those water cannons were designed to aim sideways, but if you lean off the rails, you can extend their arc."

"I also keep a gun hidden around here somewhere, but I'd rather not use that if we dont have to."

IMAGINATION - D10

There is the suitase. With a well aimed throw, it could knock Tom off his bike. Plus there is a chance he'd stop for it even if its a miss...
For that to work though, its precious hidden cargo will have to be somewhere else.
Last edited by Harkback Union on Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:31 am

The hooded figures left in silence, but left chaos behind them. The throng of commuters scattered, leaving the area entirely or fleeing into the nearby green boxes that seemed to be what passed for telephone boxes around here.

At least there was less of a queue-

A second water taxi sped into view, turning around the Z-Bahn stop, spraying her with canal water. Urgh. Who on earth-

She looked up and stared for a moment.

Well.

Wasn't that rather... Convenient. She'd get a change of dry clothes later, for now, the chase was properly on. Option one, follow them directly. There was a watertaxi, she could probably invoke the Sentinel's Bureau to commandeer it. It was too dark in there for a shot from here, so that was option two out, and she had no idea where the... Canal? Was it a canal? Went, so there went option three. Or she could be more subtle about this. Hm.

Four it was.

Isabella moved forwards towards the front of the watertaxi, remaining on the pier. "I don't suppose you know where that goes?" She asked the driver.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse