NATION

PASSWORD

An Era of Revolutions (1780 Geopolitical RP) - OOC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scandinavia21
Attaché

Founded: Jun 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandinavia21 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:37 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
The Pearl River wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name:Đại Việt
Territory: Vietnam, Laos , and Parts of Cambodia east of the tonle sap river
#AER (Do not delete this, it is used to keep track of the apps)

Reservation noted. :)

Also: I am painting map now, so expect one soon.

Did you get my update for my territorial claims?

Scandinavia21 wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

Reservations noted.

Also, expect an updated map either today or tomorrow. :)

I'm expanding on my territorial claims as I want to add Namibia and the islands of Java and Sumatra.
Nation: Kingdom of Scandinavia
Technology: MT- PMT
Year: 2025
Territory: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Kola Peninsula
Leader: Queen Anastasia the 3rd
GENA Ambassador: Thomas Hauger

Upper Upper Polyneisa
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Upper Polyneisa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 am

Reservation

Nation Name: Papal States
Territory: The Papal States in 1780 IRL, without Avignon but with Tuscany

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:56 am

Greater Liverpool wrote:
Rodez wrote:I wonder if it might be interesting to play the Cape Colony, given that it appears a now-unified Germany has gobbled up the Netherlands. South Africa would definitely have a larger population if this is the case - lots of Dutchmen not willing to be ruled from Berlin.

Alternatively, I was looking at a Greek Republic or South American rebels.

If you play as a Greek Republic then maybe in your history you can be helped by Ruthenia since they are sort of a noble republic type deal

I think that could work, especially since there is a separate Egyptian state which also controls Palestine, which means the Ottomans (or whoever would have been controlling Anatolia in this timeline) would be weaker by default for not owning it.

Reservation

Nation Name: Greek Republic
Territory: https://i.imgur.com/vnxk7ju.png (IRL modern Greece minus Crete, plus Macedonia, most of Albania, and northwestern provinces of Anatolia)
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:57 am

Updated Map.

Added:

- Egypt
- Scaninavia
- Americans
- France (except for Indian colony, will be doing it later)
- Vietnam
- Ming
- Ruthenia
- Continental Iberia (will be adding Lat Am colonies later)

Note: Can someone tell me if the French-American border in USA/Canada is alright? North American geography is not my strong point.
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:59 am

Upper Upper Polyneisa wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: Papal States
Territory: The Papal States in 1780 IRL, without Avignon but with Tuscany

Reservation noted.

Rodez wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: Greek Republic
Territory: https://i.imgur.com/vnxk7ju.png (IRL modern Greece minus Crete, plus Macedonia, most of Albania, and northwestern provinces of Anatolia)

Reservation noted.
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 am

Do Ming's claims officially include the island of Taiwan? If not, I'm considering designing an alternative Kingdom of Middag. If they do, then I'm debating between a Japan where the balance of power between the Ainu and Japanese has dramatically shifted or a rebellious Louisiana colony to match the Americans. Which of these would be most interesting to y'all?

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 am

Khasinkonia wrote:Do Ming's claims officially include the island of Taiwan? If not, I'm considering designing an alternative Kingdom of Middag. If they do, then I'm debating between a Japan where the balance of power between the Ainu and Japanese has dramatically shifted or a rebellious Louisiana colony to match the Americans. Which of these would be most interesting to y'all?

For Taiwan, you should probably consult the Ming player. If they are unwilling to give it up, I'm OK with both a Japn and a Lousiana. Both sound interesting. I would prefer Japan, but I am biased since I my own country in East Asia and I want more interactions ideally lol :p
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:18 am

Khasinkonia wrote:Do Ming's claims officially include the island of Taiwan? If not, I'm considering designing an alternative Kingdom of Middag. If they do, then I'm debating between a Japan where the balance of power between the Ainu and Japanese has dramatically shifted or a rebellious Louisiana colony to match the Americans. Which of these would be most interesting to y'all?

Join the revolution! I'd love some company in the New World.

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Updated Map.

Added:

- Egypt
- Scaninavia
- Americans
- France (except for Indian colony, will be doing it later)
- Vietnam
- Ming
- Ruthenia
- Continental Iberia (will be adding Lat Am colonies later)

Note: Can someone tell me if the French-American border in USA/Canada is alright? North American geography is not my strong point.

I think that gives me rather more territory west of the Appalachians than I would have historically, though I am fine with it unless our France player objects. If he does, it's worth noting that French control west of the Appalachians (except for the Gulf Coast and Quebec) was always largely notional: it was too far from the coast to attract large numbers of settlers, so French power usually meant alliances with local Indian tribes and a smattering of forts and trading posts. It wasn't truly a settler society. So even if the de jure border follows the Appalachians, it might be understood that much of the territory assigned to the Americans on this map is de facto being settled illegally: American settlers are creating new squatter societies in what remains theoretically French territory. De jure control is clear; de facto control is contested.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am

Looks like I'll await a tiebreaker!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am

Updated Map

- Added Latin American colonies of Iberia
- Added Brittanic Empire (exception Indian colonies)
- Added Greece

Thing to add:
- French and British colonies in India
- Papal States
- Germany
- Danubian Confederation
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:22 am

Reverend Norv wrote:I think that gives me rather more territory west of the Appalachians than I would have historically, though I am fine with it unless our France player objects. If he does, it's worth noting that French control west of the Appalachians (except for the Gulf Coast and Quebec) was always largely notional: it was too far from the coast to attract large numbers of settlers, so French power usually meant alliances with local Indian tribes and a smattering of forts and trading posts. It wasn't truly a settler society. So even if the de jure border follows the Appalachians, it might be understood that much of the territory assigned to the Americans on this map is de facto being settled illegally: American settlers are creating new squatter societies in what remains theoretically French territory. De jure control is clear; de facto control is contested.

True, but it's kinda difficult to show both de jure and de facto control on the map, so going with the second.

BTW, it should also be noted about Iberia:

While Iberia does control all of Latin America, I fully expect sooner or later to be rebellions and players are free to join as an Iberian colony in the region.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:35 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Updated Map

- Added Latin American colonies of Iberia
- Added Brittanic Empire (exception Indian colonies)
- Added Greece

Thing to add:
- French and British colonies in India
- Papal States
- Germany
- Danubian Confederation

Thank you for updating, but could you include southern Albania with Greece?
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 am

Map

- Fixed Greek borders
- Added French and British colonies in India

Later tonight will be adding Papal States, Germany and Austria.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:58 am

Hmmm, East Prussia is gone. Thats gonna change some things
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Imperatuis
Secretary

Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperatuis » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:I think that gives me rather more territory west of the Appalachians than I would have historically, though I am fine with it unless our France player objects. If he does, it's worth noting that French control west of the Appalachians (except for the Gulf Coast and Quebec) was always largely notional: it was too far from the coast to attract large numbers of settlers, so French power usually meant alliances with local Indian tribes and a smattering of forts and trading posts. It wasn't truly a settler society. So even if the de jure border follows the Appalachians, it might be understood that much of the territory assigned to the Americans on this map is de facto being settled illegally: American settlers are creating new squatter societies in what remains theoretically French territory. De jure control is clear; de facto control is contested.

True, but it's kinda difficult to show both de jure and de facto control on the map, so going with the second.

BTW, it should also be noted about Iberia:

While Iberia does control all of Latin America, I fully expect sooner or later to be rebellions and players are free to join as an Iberian colony in the region.

Of course! That was always gonna be one of the main problems of the Iberian Empire

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 am

Hey Ruthenia player, when was Eastern Prussia taken?
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:18 am

Reservation

Nation Name: La Nouvelle-France
Territory: New France, as claimed by the French player.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:23 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Reservation

Reservation noted, but which part of New France is claimed? Just Louisiana? Or more?
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:31 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:
Reservation

Reservation noted, but which part of New France is claimed? Just Louisiana? Or more?

I'm considering doing the whole thing, so I figured I'd reserve it all until I've gotten to writing the alternative history enough to decide whether I want to go with a unified polity or not. I do know that I intend on a more populated New France, though.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

I'm considering doing the whole thing, so I figured I'd reserve it all until I've gotten to writing the alternative history enough to decide whether I want to go with a unified polity or not. I do know that I intend on a more populated New France, though.

Fair enough.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Mokina
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Application

Postby Mokina » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:20 am

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Minaminoo
Territory: Caribbean Sea Territories (Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago.)

Upper Upper Polyneisa
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 10, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Upper Polyneisa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:33 am

Nation Name: The Papal State
Culture(s): Italian, with a separate regional identity in Tuscany. While non-Italian cardinals make up 30% of the conclave, it is very rare for a non-Italian Pope to be elected.
Territory: The territories of the Papal States at the time IRL, without its holdings in France but with Tuscany
Capital City: Rome
Population: ~5,000,000

Government Type : Absolute Theocracy
Head of State: Pope Urban VII, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Peter, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Papal State, Servant of the servants of God.
Head of Government: Pope Urban VII
Government Description:

The Papal States functions as an absolute theocracy - the Pope's word is law. Departments are headed by cardinals, whom the Pope appoints and dismisses at will. Church law and secular law are not separate, and this church law is exclusively written by the Pope.

Local administrative units are dioceses, each of which is lead by the bishop of that dioscese. That being said, little power is given to to each bishop, as most power is concentrated in the administration in Rome. Each dioscese is itself split into parishes, ran by priests, who organise governemnt on a village level.

Popes are elected through the college of cardinals, a group of bishops appointed by previous Popes to their position. While, officially, the cardinals select a Pope purely on their theological capacity, many vote in order to gain power for themselves (or others, if they have been bribed to do so). This corruption at the very top of the catholic church has angered some, but the system has not changed for over one and a half millenia and shows no sign of changing - from the inside, at least.

Majority/State Religion : Catholicism, shockingly. There are virtually no heretical christians in the State, athough there are a growing number of 'athiests', (although this term is used as an umbrella for anyone in the State who rejects a traditional christian God).

Economic Description: The Papal State, being fairly centally located in Europe, has a developed economy, comparable per capita to its peers in France, Iberia, or Germany (but obviously not at a similar scale). What is produced, and more importantly what isn't, is controlled by the government, which places church monopolies on the production items such as books and alcohol - or, at least the government tries. Especially in regions such as Tuscany, where central contol is weak, these monopolies are not enforced.

The aristocratic banking families remain a large force in the Papal economy, as no Pope has dared challenge their influence in financial and related institutions. Their main base is also in Tuscany, away from the prying eyes of the Pope.

Major products of the Papal state include wine and grapes, art (inspired by the many renaissance works), banking and loans from the aformentioned families, and general agricultural produce from the fertile regions in central Italy, and metal ores from the hills in Tuscany.

The industrial revolution is reaching the State, whether the catholic administration wants it or not. Many cardinals have expressed worry at the political danger the industrial revolution presents, and Urban VII has attempted in vain to deter the construction of factories. Others in government have happily accepted bribes from the rich and wealthy to turn a blind eye to industrialisation, which the Pope is too scared to crack down on, lest the Papal State fall behind the rest of Europe.

Development: Beginning to industrialise.

Army Description: Standing army of 1000 Swiss Guards, with the ability to raise ~15,000 conscripts in a defensive war. The Pope has not participated in a war for centuries, and consequently does not maintain much of an army, nor does it prepare for a war.
Army Weakness: The Papal army is small, weak, and inexperienced. It has not seen serious combat against an orgainsed foe for over a century. It is underfunded and there is no way of knowing its true effectiveness (or, more likely, incomepetence) as it has not fought in living memory.
Naval Description: 2 12-gun Scooners, as well as 8 cutters.
Naval Weakness: The navy, much like the army, is chronically underfunded. It protects the shore of the State from piracy and on occasion, escorts a missionary mission around the world, but otherwise has not fought for a long time.

National Goals: Attempting to cling to power and survive the almost inevitable revolution.
National Issues:

Revolution in the Air - the people are angry at the conservative, absolutist governemt, and many want His Holiness gone. The city-state of San Marino provides a safe haven for these revolutionaries, and they possess much popular support in Tuscany (the population strongly disliking papal rule), as well as in the many universities around the State. Some say that it is but a matter of time before the Pope's head is on a pike outside the Vatican.

De Pace Conservanda - as part of reforms during the counter-reformation, St. Julius III adopted a decree to never engage in an offensive war again, in order to replicate the peacefulness of Jesus. This decree has never been broken, and his popularity even today means no pope would even think about waging a war and violating this decree. This has lead to a decay in the Papal Millitary, which only has 1000 full-time members.
(It is worth noting that, should the State fall to revolution, this weakness will cease very quickly - but will most probably be followed up by many more)

Set in Stone - The State has been working off the basis of the 3 Good Popes for centuries, and will not wish to abandon them, no matter how outdated they are. The upper echelons of government is steadfast in, and refuses to embrace the new ways of Europe.

History :

The Election of the Pope in 1417 was a contentious one - Cosimo de Medici, the ruler of neighbouring Florence, had secured one his sons, Giovanni, as a cardinal. He intended to be elected Pope, to extend Florentine influence into the heart of the catholic church. His efforts paid off, for Giovanni became Alexander V. Not a year into his reign, and Cosimo had died, leaving his eldest son, Piero, ruler of Florence. Piero was not a competent ruler - and Alexander was ambitious. He saw an opportunity to take Florence for himself. But there was a catch - the cardinals refused to let him take the republic for himself, unless it was integrated into the States, and Alexander reluctantly aquessed. The war was a simple one, and Florence was made part of the Papal States.

The next major moment in Papal history is, unsurprisingly, the reformation. Instead of looking to reform the catholic faith as the counter-reformation, however, the next three Popes - known as the 'Three Good Popes' to history - reformed the States in order to bring them closer to the catholic ideal.

The first ruler, Clement VII, established a series of centres of learning around the nation, which would teach the reaissance arts, as well as catholic theology, in the hopes that these students could academically prove the superiority of the roman catholic faith. While the theology had mixed results, some of the greatest renaissance arts were produced under him, and these centres of learning would go on to form the many universities which litter the cities of the State.

The second ruler, St. Julius III, seeked to replicate the kingdom of God within the States, with a series of radical reforms. The States were abolished, and replaced with an absolutist State, allowing for the descendant of St. Peter to do as he wished in order to carry out the will of God. De Pace Conservanda was enacted, which forbade the State form embarking in any offensive war without exception. And, finally, a primitive welfare state was established, where the government owned a series of bakeries in major cities, which handed out bread to the starving - an institution that lasts to this day.

The final ruler, Gregory XIV, rooted out heresy within and without the State - but with non violent means. He strengthened the catholic censorships on publications, and placed all printing presses into church hands, ensuring the cessasion of any heretical publication. Those who were found to be protestant were tried in an open court, and were either fined, had property siezed, or in extreme cases exiled - but none imprisoned or killed. The caring policies of the previous Pope, combined with the strong pressure from this Pope, essentially removed the possibility of the protestant church establishing itself in the State, as well as demonstrating the power of Catholicism for all the world to see. The counter reformation - at least at home - had been a roaring success.

The acts of these three Popes became the fundementals to Papal rule over the next centuries, and all of the laws that were passed under them became sacrosant - no one dared to repeal them. While these may have been strong policies for their time, their usefulness decayed. The universities established by Clement VII became hotbeds for enlightenment thinking, something that the church find hard to control due to the laws of Gregory XIV. Julius III's decree has lead to complacentcy in the Papal millitary to both internal and external threats, and have also lead to the State being unable to expand to its weaker neighbours in the north, and, more importantly, San Marino.

San Marino, and otherwise unassumine microstate, has been the hub of revolutionary thought in the Papal State. Troops are forbidden to leave the State, so any revolutionary caught merely leaves to this city state and is able to continute their activities virtually unimpeded. Its democratic constitution has further provoked calls for the toppling of the Papacy, ones championed by figures such as Adalfieri Lombardo - a prominent lawyer and enlightnement thinker. The stability of the State is in a very precarious position, indeed.

RP Sample:

"The people have a right to rule themselves!" yelled Damiano, across the debate hall. "It matters not whether a ruler wears a crown, possesses an orb and scepter, nor sits upon a throne - authority exclusively derives from the voice of the people, not some pieces of gold."

"And what if this throne, this scepter, this crown was a gift from God?" questioned Santino, a theological student at the university. "A right to take a position can only be given by someone above that position, and the only person above a King is God. The idea that you could be appointed by someone below you is, well, absurd! Can you imagine an apprentice appointing their master? It's beyond belief."

"And how is the Pope appointed by God, eh? He's appointed by a room full of 'holy men'; half in it for their for their own gain, half bribed to work for someone else! We've all seen the corruption in the college - don't deny it. The Papacy is nothing more than an oligarchy, designed in every way to supress ordinary people like us. How can you defend it?"

The debate continued on for over an hour, the audience hanging on to every word. Scenes like this were common in universities, where theological students who wished to work within the State clashed with philosphers and thinkers who wished to burn it down. One figure who was captivated this specific debate was Emilio Gelli, a cobbler from Florence. He, later that evening, established a small society within his district for republicanism - and this society grew quickly. It was mere months until Emilo was the spokesperson for the revolution in his city, and the Pope was taking notice. His charisma and conviction were unmatched in Italy, and were dangerous. Someone had to do something.

Last edited by Upper Upper Polyneisa on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:54 am, edited 13 times in total.

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:41 am

Who'll rebel in Louisiana from Français? Native Indians who have been the oldest Allies of French in the New World and who are treated better by French than English colonists?
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
A Class 0.142 Civilization according to this index.

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:45 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Map

- Fixed Greek borders
- Added French and British colonies in India

Later tonight will be adding Papal States, Germany and Austria.

You haven't included Madagascar, New Caledonia, Réunion, Mauritius, French Southern Territories, French Polynesia, French Caribbean Territories, French Island Of the Coast Off Gulf Of Guinea and many other territories.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
A Class 0.142 Civilization according to this index.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 am

Great Britain and Galactic Commonwealth wrote:

Who'll rebel in Louisiana from Français? Native Indians who have been the oldest Allies of French in the New World and who are treated better by French than English colonists?

I'm planning on having a higher colonial population in New France, pending your approval, particularly of French Huguenots and those who wished to avoid fighting in French wars on the mainland. Not American-style rebelliousness, mind you, more like how Upper Canada was with Britain.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse