NATION

PASSWORD

What If: Disney bought DC and not Marvel. Phase 1

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 8:50 am

In May of 2008 Iron Man was release and introduced us to the MCU. In December of 2009 Disney Purchased Marvel Entertainment. But what if things were a bit different?

In 2008 by almost every measure DC was more popular and had a bigger impact on the world. Even today the most well known and popular superheroes in history are likely Batman and Superman, not Iron Man and Captain America. So this begs the question... What if instead of of Marvel, Disney bought DC and created the DCU with the same level of investment, quality, and success of the IRL Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The goal of this exercise is to design and write the entire alt history of the cinematic universe, one phase at a time. Movies, TV, Streaming... starting with Phase One... the Years 2008 to 2012.

So let this be a freewheeling brainstorming and discussion session, which I will moderate and collect ideas and eventually come up with a detailed alt history for the DCU.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 8:51 am

Reserved

Movie 1:

TV Show 1:

Movie 1:

TV Show 1:

Movie 1:

TV Show 1:

Movie 1:

TV Show 1:

Movie 1:

Movie 2: Justice League

TV Show 1:

TV Show 2:
Last edited by Dentali on Fri May 06, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 am

Good idea.

Anyway, here's some proposals for shows:

Movie 1: Harley Quinn (with Fiona Gubelmann as Harley Quinn, in 2010 she wasn't a major star)

TV Show 1: Joker's Christmas (made-for-TV Christmas special, perhaps as miniseries x 8 episodes or 140-inute movie)

Movie 1: Gotham by Gaslight

TV Show 1: Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore).
In this show, Courtney is played by British actress Darcy Isa (19 at the time in 2011).

TV Show 1: Harley Quinn (continuation of movie, with Fiona Gubelmann as Harley Quinn).
Notable for turning Fiona into an A-lister which never happened in our timeline.

TV Show 2: Starwoman (following far-future same-named descendant of Courtney Whitmore)
Courtney Whitmore is played by Canadian-American actress Kim Shaw, from Hallmark Original movies.
This show also deviates slightly from usual DC canon by having a Justice League comprised of Starwoman, The Flash, Killer Frost/Louise Lincoln, and also Bekka (a New God).
Batman does make a cameo during this show, here he's portrayed as a broken superhero who's lost his fortune, to fit in with the mood of the times, the 2012-2013 recession.
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 9:52 am

West Bromwich Holme wrote:Good idea.

Anyway, here's some proposals for shows:

Movie 1: Harley Quinn (with Fiona Gubelmann as Harley Quinn, in 2010 she wasn't a major star)

TV Show 1: Joker's Christmas (made-for-TV Christmas special, perhaps as miniseries x 8 episodes or 140-inute movie)

Movie 1: Gotham by Gaslight

TV Show 1: Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore).
In this show, Courtney is played by British actress Darcy Isa (19 at the time in 2011).

TV Show 1: Harley Quinn (continuation of movie, with Fiona Gubelmann as Harley Quinn).
Notable for turning Fiona into an A-lister which never happened in our timeline.

TV Show 2: Starwoman (following far-future same-named descendant of Courtney Whitmore)
Courtney Whitmore is played by Canadian-American actress Kim Shaw, from Hallmark Original movies.
This show also deviates slightly from usual DC canon by having a Justice League comprised of Starwoman, The Flash, Killer Frost/Louise Lincoln, and also Bekka (a New God).
Batman does make a cameo during this show, here he's portrayed as a broken superhero who's lost his fortune, to fit in with the mood of the times, the 2012-2013 recession.

I think these are good ideas for like a phase 4 and 5 but i think we need to start with three flagship movies that can put butts in seats without the MCU label. So Batman, Superman, WonderWoman need to go first before we can expand the universe

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thousand Branches » Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 am

Dentali wrote:I think these are good ideas for like a phase 4 and 5 but i think we need to start with three flagship movies that can put butts in seats without the MCU label. So Batman, Superman, WonderWoman need to go first before we can expand the universe

Maybe, but I would also argue Flash is just about as popular as WW, at least nowadays. Mind you I’m not an expert on the state of DC in 2008. Admittedly I wonder if the Justice League could almost be earlier. It wouldn’t exactly match the MCUs creation of The Avengers as I assume this attempts to do, but it would make much more sense for DC as Justice League is the central element of DC, with all the major heroes practically being a part of it. By comparison, one could argue the X-men are a far more important group than the Avengers for Marvel, and they have way more random superhero groups as opposed to the once central bloc of DC (Midnight Suns, the 50 million assorted other avengers teams, defenders, runaways, etc etc etc). If anything, Justice League would maybe be produced sooner, with some of the members’ origins being explored afterwards, like Spiderman in Civil War.
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 11:31 am

Thousand Branches wrote:
Dentali wrote:I think these are good ideas for like a phase 4 and 5 but i think we need to start with three flagship movies that can put butts in seats without the MCU label. So Batman, Superman, WonderWoman need to go first before we can expand the universe

Maybe, but I would also argue Flash is just about as popular as WW, at least nowadays. Mind you I’m not an expert on the state of DC in 2008. Admittedly I wonder if the Justice League could almost be earlier. It wouldn’t exactly match the MCUs creation of The Avengers as I assume this attempts to do, but it would make much more sense for DC as Justice League is the central element of DC, with all the major heroes practically being a part of it. By comparison, one could argue the X-men are a far more important group than the Avengers for Marvel, and they have way more random superhero groups as opposed to the once central bloc of DC (Midnight Suns, the 50 million assorted other avengers teams, defenders, runaways, etc etc etc). If anything, Justice League would maybe be produced sooner, with some of the members’ origins being explored afterwards, like Spiderman in Civil War.

Flash is crazy popular even in '08, but DC clearly has a "Big Three". To say nothing of the fact wonder woman is the most well know female super hero and would be a massive deal... I was thinking we just keep the Flash TV show and just kinda incorporate it a bit better into the films

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 11:34 am

Thousand Branches wrote:

As for introducing them later i definitely agree, but we shouldnt make the irl mistake of JL and trying to introduce so many people and concepts in one film

Thousand Branches
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thousand Branches » Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am

Dentali wrote:
Thousand Branches wrote:Maybe, but I would also argue Flash is just about as popular as WW, at least nowadays. Mind you I’m not an expert on the state of DC in 2008. Admittedly I wonder if the Justice League could almost be earlier. It wouldn’t exactly match the MCUs creation of The Avengers as I assume this attempts to do, but it would make much more sense for DC as Justice League is the central element of DC, with all the major heroes practically being a part of it. By comparison, one could argue the X-men are a far more important group than the Avengers for Marvel, and they have way more random superhero groups as opposed to the once central bloc of DC (Midnight Suns, the 50 million assorted other avengers teams, defenders, runaways, etc etc etc). If anything, Justice League would maybe be produced sooner, with some of the members’ origins being explored afterwards, like Spiderman in Civil War.

As for introducing them later i definitely agree, but we shouldnt make the irl mistake of JL and trying to introduce so many people and concepts in one film

What about doing it as a miniseries then? Or maybe a blockbuster followed by a show? That way you can have that big epic adventure that Avengers had, while still being able to really dig into the characters and themes of the group afterwards. Certainly wouldn’t mirror the MCU but it could be fun
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Fri May 06, 2022 11:52 am

Dentali wrote:
I think these are good ideas for like a phase 4 and 5 but i think we need to start with three flagship movies that can put butts in seats without the MCU label. So Batman, Superman, WonderWoman need to go first before we can expand the universe

As for the Joker and Harley Quinn, and Batman (in the Gotham by Gaslight), were they good ways to introduce them or not?
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 06, 2022 1:18 pm

West Bromwich Holme wrote:
Dentali wrote:

As for the Joker and Harley Quinn, and Batman (in the Gotham by Gaslight), were they good ways to introduce them or not?

I mean if we did that how do they get in modern day

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse