NATION

PASSWORD

Twilight's Last Gleaming: An American Political RP IC (Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

North Listia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby North Listia » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:54 am

Washington, D.C.

March 15, 2007
Rep. Jordan Douglass on Countdown with Keith Olberman

Douglass and his chief of staff, Ron Knight, were both waiting in the NBC offices in D.C. Knight had been able to get his boss an interview on MSNBC.

“Remember, this is prime time, so try to moderate some your comments.”

“Ron, you know that I say what I mean and…”

“… and mean what you say. I know Rev.” Ron interrupted. “I’m not asking to hold back your opinions, just temper the language. If your seen as too radical, you will lose any chance of having influence in the primaries.”

“Listen, if the Democrats can’t handle the truth, they can’t handle me.”

Before Ron could reply back, the producer signaled that the interview was about to begin.

“Good evening, this March 15, and there are over 600 days until the 2008 election, but we already have a flurry of people announcing their candidacy for presidents. Whatever you may say about the candidates, and I have a lot to say, this will definitely be an interesting election season. Joining us now to help us digest these candidates is Rep. Jordan Douglass from South Carolina’s sixth district. Good evening Rev. Douglass.”

“Good evening Keith. And I just got to say, I have a lot to talk about for these candidates as well.”

“Well Reverend, let’s start with the Democrats. Whose candidacies have stood out to you so far?”

“I, unfortunately have to start with Mr. Bulldog himself,” Douglass said with exasperation in his tone. “The man is more of a Democrat from 1867 than 2007. I may have never heard him say the n-word, but I know in my heart, 100% percent, he is a prolific user.”

“So, it sounds like you are not going to support Rep. Woolworth.”

“The day Woolworth becomes the Democratic nominee is the day I leave the Democratic Party.”

“Strong statement there Rev. Any Democrats you like?”

“I was a bit hesitant with some of the people announcing their presidencies, but I have to say I am liking Governor Fleming. He is young, dynamic, and has proven viability. Pennsylvania has been blue for a while now, but not that blue. I may not agree with him on all issues, but he has the potential to go far. Another person I will keep my eye out for is JJ St. Cierge. I am a fan of his radio show and of his work as Mayor of Baltimore, so I am excited to see what he does in the primary.”

“Bold choices there Reverend”

“Well if my grandfather knew I was leaning towards two Catholics, he would probably say too bold.”

“You said ‘leaning towards.’ Are you ready to make any official endorsements right now?”

“Leaning may have been too strong of a word. While I like Fleming and JJ, I will save my endorsement for another time. I do want to say though, I won’t support any candidate who doesn’t come down to South Carolina and speak to the community I represent.”

“Not-Jim Clyburn, your predecessor, was known for holding a famous fish-fry in South Carolina that all democratic nominees for president attended. Will you be continuing that tradition?”

“I will be continuing and expanding that tradition! I will invite all my fellow Democrats to come speak at my Church in Charleston and get to know the community at the fish fry next year during the primaries.”

“I do want to talk about some of the Republicans running for President right now.”

“Keith, I’m sure you’ve already picked your ‘worst person in the world’ for today’s show, but can I nominate Harold Gunsely? His comments today about the Apple stock controversy were outrageous. If this is the state of the Republican nominees for President, I think Democrats will do well come next November.”

“We will end the interview with that last comment. Thank you Rev. Douglass for talking to me tonight”

“Thank you Keith”

“That was good Rev.” Douglass’ chief of staff exclaimed with a thumbs up. “I could have gone without the comment on Catholics, but good nonetheless”

Douglass ignored the last comment and started leaving the NBC office with his chief of staff in tow. “I want you to schedule more interviews and segments. If I can sit down with the host or moderator, even better. Also, I need our staff to start the process of drafting a new bill on increasing funding towards HBCUs. See if any of the presidential candidates from Congress are interested in co-sponsoring.”

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:35 pm

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:

"Please, call me Bob! Ain't no need for formalities. And thank you, I appreciate the congratulations." he replied, taking a moment to sit down. His back was bothering him a bit more than usual today.

Senator Pierce sat down as well across from the Congressman "As you know i'm technically an independent... my endorsement isn't necessarily going to a Republican, and I would like to endorse someone who i think can bring the country together... now with that in mind i'm doing some one on one's with every candidate i could see myself potentially backing... So what is your vision for the country?"

"Well, y'know, I was readin' this book a while back. Forgot exactly what it was - doesn't matter. Somethin' 'bout ideology. I'd describe my vision as I read in that book - a populist. Popul- as in people, which fits what I think. Y'know, there's a whole lot of people out there - normal people, average Joes, that don't trust government, or corporations, or anything the 'higher ups' tell 'em. And what I've found throughout my years here is that they have excellent reason to be skeptical. There are so many snakes in this town it might as well be a swamp. The first part of my vision is to throw all of 'em out the window. I was watchin' TV earlier today and saw the story on that Gunsley thing? If it were up to me, I'd investigate it and kick him the hell out of congress! Idiots like him are why people don't trust us. These workin' folks, middle class, everyday Americans - these are the people that get us elected, not the donors and Wall Street guys. Well, we know what matters to them - their jobs, their safety, and their morality. Thousands of Americans have lost their jobs to cheap Chinese labor or cheap Mexican labor. What's the solution? Punish the companies that move out of the U.S. and bring back our jobs. People in the cities are gettin' shot dead in broad daylight. What's the solution? Get more cops out on the streets and make sure wrongdoers do their fair time. A the core of things...I'm a pragmatist, you might say. We've got values, traditions, and precedents in this country - keep 'em. We've got problems in this country too - find a solution that doesn't disturb those values, traditions, and precedents. I think it's high time we get a voice of the people in the White House, and I'm gonna try my darndest to be that voice."

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:42 pm

Official Press Release
Representative Robert Woolworth
March 16, 2007

I have seen, over the past few days, several statements from various different outlets and people accusing me of an assortment of racially motivated or insensitive statements or actions. These allegations are 100%, absolutely, categorically false. I have and never will use any language that puts down any American - it's against my faith. I believe we are all children of the Lord, and I pledge to conduct myself in the way He tells us we must in the Bible. I do not see creed - I see promise, value, and opportunity in all - that's why I am running for President. For the 21st Century, we need new, dynamic leadership that protects our values and traditions while working for the people. The people can see through these accusations clear as day.

God Bless,
Bob Woolworth

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:15 pm

"A Greater New Mexico"

Official Address by the Governor of New Mexico, Elana Bennett

After a month or so of speaking to her constituents, holding addresses, and generally just hearing them out to help build support for her agenda, along with getting acquanited with the state legislature and settling in, she knew that it was time to get to work. The plans had been laid down, concrete drafts set, as the time for governance had begun.

To begin any process, of course, one had to lay out what exactly the process was, and to turn ideals and platitudes into reality, and that was what she set to do now, as the "Greater New Mexico" agenda had been hyped up in a PR campaign from the beginning of her governorship to now.

"Alright, so, I guess here comes the big moment." Elana said to one of her Chief of Staff, a young blond man with straight hair and an almost obsessive-compulsive and quite cold manner of dressing and speaking by the name of Gerald, or 'Jerry' as he was often known.

"That would be right, Madam Governor. The roadmap has been laid out, and all we need to do is roll the carpet forward and then move towards our aim."

"Exactly, Jerry. We have to keep pushing, keep hoping, because we know that victory is at hand, don't we?" She replied with enthusiasm.

"Yes, of course."

Another man suddenly came in the room, another staffer of hers.

"Madam Governor, it's time."

"Very well."

"Good luck, Madam Governor."

She simply nodded and walked to the podium where she was to make her address, in front of a decently-sized audience of fans from across the state. After coming in, she tapped her microphone to ensure that it was working, took a sip of water, and then began to read from the teleprompter...

"We live in a grand new era of politics, of a brave new world with millions of opportunities - and threats - all around us, both in the political, the personal and the societal. And so, in that grand new era, we must do what we can with what we have, together, as a society. The values of community, solidarity and charity are three of the most powerful forces in ourselves and in the history of the peoples of the world. True humanity, or at the very least, just humanity, cannot exist without these things. Without our bonds to each other, without these things which the form the core of not just ourselves but our civilisation and world as we know it, where would we be?

That is what separates us from the animals of the jungle - our compassion for each other, our collective sense of belonging to something greater, whether that be to one's patriotism or to one's care for other human beings, no matter where they are. It is my opinion that justice is the true realisation of these values, and how we are separated from savages, from murderers and from rapists. Without justice, we are nothing more than beasts, than dogs cannibalising each other, believing that it is the slaughter that gives them life. For we are not machines, we are human beings, and human beings deserve what is right.

It is not merely preachers who ought to talk of what is right and what is wrong, because for far too long we have not done, if I am to be frank, what is right in our political sphere. We have declined to understand the moral imperative of this nation to feed her hungry, to help her people and to fulfil the promise filled out in our constitution, simply for the purposes of political convenience and benefit. But I do not make this speech because I wish to call people out, to start a massive fight. In fact, quite the opposite. I wish to unify the people of this state, behind the collective promise of America and behind the words of community, solidarity and charity which I have always championed, and rollout a new social and economic programme which seeks to rectify the problems that we have faced in recent days, for though we may be a great nation, there is always a greater way to go. And may I remind those who accuse me of unpatriotism or of defeatism, that true patriotism is not merely waving the flag, but rather seeking to improve your country through fighting for its people and striving to put in place policies which will make it better.

No longer shall the politics of convenience dictate to us what we are to do. Today, I would like to announce that we are going to roll out the first part of our Greater New Mexico policy, and that will be to provide free school breakfast and lunch to every child, along with milk. We will pay for this by putting in a tax on private school tuition above a certain amount, in order to ensure that all are able to eat. In our day, it is truly a horrible shame that there are children who are unable to eat, and this is the first step in moving towards the great ambition of universal human prosperity, and to vanquish the scourge of poverty from this world. When I ran for governor, I resolved to fight for the hungry, the impoverished and the dispossessed, and I shall duly do that now through the mandate that I have been given, to fight for this state and its people through what we are doing here in Santa Fe. No doubt our fight will be difficult, and no doubt that it will require vigorous and continous tenacity, but it is the fight that we must put in for our people, and for the people that I am here to serve. Politics is not about winning the easy battles and seeking reelection at the cost of your principles, despite what those in Washington may make it seem. It is about making the world a better place, and I cannot see a better way of doing that than to feed our hungry children. I hope, though I cannot expect, full support from the New Mexico state legislature in this endeavour, especially at least in this common sense, universally supported measure.

So, go ahead, New Mexico, let's get together and feed our kids. Write your state legislators, march in the streets, spread the word online and with your neighbours, because, my fellow New Mexicans, the fight has only begun.

Together, we stand, for a better and greater state."
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:39 pm

Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC
March 13th, 2007
Congressman Oliver Miller [D-KS-3]

"Congressman, I really think we need to be careful moving forward." Miller rubbed his eyes as his Chief of Staff, Gregory Anderson, nervously paced the room. Also in the office was the Congressman's Legislative Director, Anita Jones, who had just presented a draft bill for Oliver and Greg to review. "Come on, Greg," began Oliver, "you know as well as I do that Title II of the Patriot Act is rotten. We've got folks looking over their shoulders because they think the FBI is out to get them. This can't continue." Gregory sighed. "That may be, but the Republicans are going to spout on and on about security, the FBI and other intelligence agencies are going to see you as an enemy, especially since your bill could very well pass the House, at least. This could create a lot of blow back if you're not careful. My job is to make sure you don't get a brick to the head from some asshole, and this bill will make my job harder."

"But isn't this worth the risk?" Anita stated. "Our constituents love our pushing back against the Patriot Act, and they loved it when Congressman Rohr pushed back against it, anyway. The Cush Administration took advantage of a frightened Congress and pushed the envelope too far." "I'm not disputing any of that," an exasperated Anderson replied. "But we're about to enter into another presidential election year. We don't know who either of the parties will nominate, and we don't know how our constituents will react. Oliver," Gregory said, facing the Congressman now, "you are only the second Democrat to represent the third congressional district since the 60's. I don't want to endanger your chances of re-election during a presidential election year."

"I want us to fight this fight. If we don't, then who the Hell will? And besides, if it comes from us, they can't exactly say this is a 'New York Democrat' effort to weaken our national security - hard to do that with a guy who has lived in the American heartland all his life. Let's get a press release together."

Official Press Release
Office of Congressman Oliver Miller
206 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20003

March 13, 2007

For nearly six years, Americans have been asked to make a choice: liberty, or security. In the face of the horrors inflicted upon our nation and our people in the terrorist attacks on 9/11, Congress and the Cush Administration offered us the PATRIOT Act. This legislation was designed to prevent the next 9/11, but sadly, its reach has had an apparent chilling effect on the individual liberty of all Kansans and Americans that should not be tolerated. Our national security should not come at the expense of the personal liberty of our citizens, many of whom have reached out to our office asking us to take action on reining in the domestic surveillance powers that the Cush Administration has taken extreme liberties with. Therefore, my office and dedicated staff are working on the JUSTICE Act, which we hope to introduce to the House of Representatives within the month. The JUSTICE Act will have six goals: 1. Protect the privacy of your records; 2. Protect the privacy of your communications; 3. Protect the privacy of your homes and businesses; 4. Protect your First Amendment rights; 5. Clarify the law to target willful supporters of terrorism; and 6. Hold companies responsible for violating the law, as well as your privacy.

1. Protect the privacy of your records.

The JUSTICE Act will ensure that the government can only access communications, financial records, and credit records only when they have something to do with a terror suspect or spy, rather than someone who might be distantly related to such a suspect and has no involvement at all in terrorist activities, protecting you from unwarranted government surveillance. It will also require the government to prove that these records, as well as library and medical records, relate to a suspected terrorist or spy.

2. Protect the privacy of your communications.

The JUSTICE Act will amend FISA to limit the authority of the government when it comes to the collection of phone calls and emails coming into or out of the United States. The JUSTICE Act will require that the collection of phone calls and emails is at least targeted, and not conducted in a dragnet manner that targets even those Americans who aren't suspected of wrongdoing. Additionally, any communications collected as a result of this program without a warrant can only be listened to, used, or distributed if the government can demonstrate that they have reason to believe that the collected communications relate to terrorism. Additionally, this bill will rein in the PATRIOT Act's infamous "roving John Doe" authority, and requires the government to name the person or place that they require to be tapped.

3. Protect the privacy of your homes and business.

So-called "sneak and peek" searches are a gross abuse of government law enforcement powers, empowered to excess by the PATRIOT Act. The JUSTICE Act aims to rein in these abuses against your personal liberties by removing the government's ability to engage in these broad catch-alls, while ensuring national security concerns are met by permitting government officials to continue secret searches only in emergency or urgent circumstances.

4. Protect your First Amendment rights.

The JUSTICE Act will require that any gag orders issued by national security letters or section 215 orders meet the traditional standards of the First Amendment. The burden will fall on the government to convince a court that national security is jeopardized by your speaking out against the government's actions, rather than on American citizens to prove otherwise.

5. Clarify the law to ensure only terror suspects are subject to prosecution.

At present, the material support statute criminalizes giving anything of value to a terrorist organization. While this statute's goals are laudable, it leaves vulnerable humanitarian workers who are fulfilling the missions of their organizations who might inadvertently provide support to members of terrorist organizations - even if they had no intention or desire to do so. The JUSTICE Act will amend the material support statute to ensure that Americans can only be prosecuted if they knowingly or intended to provide monetary or other support to terrorist organizations, or to support further terrorist acts. Additionally, it will provide safeguards to prevent the prosecution of people who work with or for charities that give humanitarian aid in good faith to war torn countries.

6. Hold companies responsible for violating the law and your privacy.

The JUSTICE Act will introduce provisions restricting telecommunications companies from sharing your private communications to the government without a warrant compelling them to do so. Any company that does turn over your communications without a warrant will be liable to redress and damages from American consumers in the courts under the JUSTICE Act.

These continue to be difficult times for our country and for our people. We will continue to have tough conversations about how to balance the needs of the government and the personal freedoms and rights of the American people, and my office will continue to fight for each and every Kansan as we navigate through the War on Terror. We continue to hope that Al Qaeda and its monstrous leadership will face justice for its crimes against the American people, and against thousands of others in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. And we will continue to demand that our government meet the high expectations of the people of Kansas. God bless America, and God keep our troops safe in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:06 pm

Mareadmonte wrote:
Dentali wrote:

Senator Pierce sat down as well across from the Congressman "As you know i'm technically an independent... my endorsement isn't necessarily going to a Republican, and I would like to endorse someone who i think can bring the country together... now with that in mind i'm doing some one on one's with every candidate i could see myself potentially backing... So what is your vision for the country?"

"Well, y'know, I was readin' this book a while back. Forgot exactly what it was - doesn't matter. Somethin' 'bout ideology. I'd describe my vision as I read in that book - a populist. Popul- as in people, which fits what I think. Y'know, there's a whole lot of people out there - normal people, average Joes, that don't trust government, or corporations, or anything the 'higher ups' tell 'em. And what I've found throughout my years here is that they have excellent reason to be skeptical. There are so many snakes in this town it might as well be a swamp. The first part of my vision is to throw all of 'em out the window. I was watchin' TV earlier today and saw the story on that Gunsley thing? If it were up to me, I'd investigate it and kick him the hell out of congress! Idiots like him are why people don't trust us. These workin' folks, middle class, everyday Americans - these are the people that get us elected, not the donors and Wall Street guys. Well, we know what matters to them - their jobs, their safety, and their morality. Thousands of Americans have lost their jobs to cheap Chinese labor or cheap Mexican labor. What's the solution? Punish the companies that move out of the U.S. and bring back our jobs. People in the cities are gettin' shot dead in broad daylight. What's the solution? Get more cops out on the streets and make sure wrongdoers do their fair time. A the core of things...I'm a pragmatist, you might say. We've got values, traditions, and precedents in this country - keep 'em. We've got problems in this country too - find a solution that doesn't disturb those values, traditions, and precedents. I think it's high time we get a voice of the people in the White House, and I'm gonna try my darndest to be that voice."

Pierce nodded calmly and sagely "Good sentiments, but how would we get that done?"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:55 pm

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:

Pierce nodded calmly and sagely "Good sentiments, but how would we get that done?"

"Yes, of course" the Bulldog said, through a few coughs with an attempt of masking it as him clearing his throat.

"First and foremost, we've gotta catch Bin Laden. I don't care if it takes the full force of our military, we have to get him as soon as possible. Catching that bastard will bring at least some sense of closure to the families of the people we lost in 2001. It'll begin the path to restoring trust and faith in government and the military to actually get things done. Pump more troops and equipment into Afghanistan and Iraq so we can finish the job and get our boys out of harm's way. Now, know that that doesn't mean I'm against the wars - far from it, but I think we should end them quickly to avoid a drawn-out conflict. We've got to put our foot down with...Iran, and all these, these nations in the Middle East and make sure we keep a hold on potential terrorist threats. Once we catch Bin Laden, we have to stop the wiretapping, the surveillance, all of that. It just ain't right for the government to spy on Americans. What we do have to do is keep a limit and tight security around Arab immigration - we can't continue the way we used to by just basic processes and background checks. These guys are thugs and we oughta treat 'em that way. I ain't got nothin' against those folks, it's just a fact of life right now.

Secondly, we've got to get healthcare costs down. We've got to make sure that every American can afford and can receive quality care. Now I don't have a concrete plan as of yet, but at the national level it would be wise to cut the tie between healthcare and employers with the same tax benefits. Allow plans to travel from job to job, and provide tax credits or some other form of subsidisation to companies willing to work with the government to lower costs. At the state level, I'd be open to looking into the federal government assisting with statewide reforms. Maybe expanding Medicare eligibility, some sort of Medicare reform.

Another thing we've gotta do is get out of NAFTA. Immediately. Cut tax credits and fine companies that outsource. It's really not complex - we leave NAFTA, and we renegotiate better terms with Canada and Mexico that will protect American workers and jobs. I don't have concrete plans or ideas, since I just announced my campaign last week, but my team's workin' on it. We've gotta expand drilling on American land and in American waters and reduce our dependency on foreign oil and gas. Once we do that and have sufficient resources and infrastructure to support it - we can start thinkin' about pollution and carbon emissions. One thing I refuse to do, though, is drill in any environmentally protected area or sensitive areas - our environment is one of our greatest assets. I've lived in the mountains all my life. The Smoky Mountains are my home, and I'd hate for them and any other natural beauty of our nation to be spoiled. Tax credits for companies that reduce emissions and protect the environment would be nice. I know, bein' from Arizona, you've been to the Grand Canyon a lot. It'd be a shame for our country to become like China or India, all dirty and smoggy like that.

Lastly, we've gotta protect the children and prepare 'em for the future. We've gotta make No Child Left Behind focus on individuals rather than groups to measure success. That's like callin' every Democrat not-Bernie Sanders, or every Republican not-Ron Paul. Get substantial federal funding into preschools and early education. Expanding after-school programs. Funding charter schools and non-traditional learning. Hell, it's the only time you'll hear me support somethin' non-traditional. School choice, while best left to the states, is a fundamentally sound idea. And you know, children are our future and we've gotta protect 'em. I see all these...these criminals skirting immigration laws and killin' American kids and ripping families apart with the drugs...it breaks my heart, it really does. We've gotta really strengthen our immigration enforcement. We can't be rewarding these thugs with citizenship for disobeying national law. Find 'em, ship 'em to immigration centers at the border, and have 'em wait there until they get the proper papers and then we let 'em in. But the minute any of 'em commits a felony, ship 'em back to their home countries. We ain't a country of law-breakers. We've gotta build a fence, a strong fence on the border. Make it electric, if it was practical, which it's not. Make sure nobody gets in without the papers. We are a country of immigrants and all different people, but not illegal people. Legal people, we love 'em.

That, concisely, is my plan. Four steps to fix our country - but I can't do it without support. So, I hear you're interested in providing some of that support?"

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:11 pm

March 14, 2007
Rayburn House Office Building

The Bulldog was hurting tonight. Already filled to the brim with about a gallon of Tylenol, Advil, and whatever other painkillers he could find in his office, he sat in his armchair grimacing with each breath. To relieve the pain, he had already downed three Bud Lights and was on his fourth. CNN on the TV, he was paying close attention to it and avoiding thinking about the pain. A segment on immigration came up, where a common story came on about an illegal immigrant committing some crime. Already with a thin temper tonight, Bob Woolworth became furious.

"Damn illegals, come here and do this s..." he mumbled, seemingly forgetting to finish his sentence. "Just send 'em the fuck back to Latinoland and Islamistan, you idiots!" he shouted, which caused Mary to enter the room. "Bob, are you alright?" she asked, a hint of sorrow in her voice.

"I'm fine!" the Bulldog replied, before dropping his beer and falling back in his chair. Tip-toeing through broken glass, she turned the TV off. Setting a pillow behind his head, and turning the lights out, she knew she had to stay for the night once again. On a good night, she got to go home to her husband. There were far less good nights nowadays, as the Bulldog's health continues to deteriorate.

Yaruqo wrote:-snip-

Note to Rep. Miller

Interested in 'JUSTICE Act'. Could we possibly set up a meeting?

- Bob Woolworth
Last edited by Mareadmonte on Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:15 pm

Yaruqo wrote:Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC
March 13th, 2007
Congressman Oliver Miller

[b]Official Press Release
Office of Congressman Oliver Miller
206 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20003

March 13, 2007

For nearly six years, Americans have been asked to make a choice: liberty, or security. In the face of the horrors inflicted upon our nation and our people in the terrorist attacks on 9/11, Congress and the Cush Administration offered us the PATRIOT Act. This legislation was designed to prevent the next 9/11, but sadly, its reach has had an apparent chilling effect on the individual liberty of all Kansans and Americans that should not be tolerated. Our national security should not come at the expense of the personal liberty of our citizens, many of whom have reached out to our office asking us to take action on reining in the domestic surveillance powers that the Cush Administration has taken extreme liberties with. Therefore, my office and dedicated staff are working on the JUSTICE Act, which we hope to introduce to the House of Representatives within the month. The JUSTICE Act will have six goals: 1. Protect the privacy of your records; 2. Protect the privacy of your communications; 3. Protect the privacy of your homes and businesses; 4. Protect your First Amendment rights; 5. Clarify the law to target willful supporters of terrorism; and 6. Hold companies responsible for violating the law, as well as your privacy.

1. Protect the privacy of your records.

The JUSTICE Act will ensure that the government can only access communications, financial records, and credit records only when they have something to do with a terror suspect or spy, rather than someone who might be distantly related to such a suspect and has no involvement at all in terrorist activities, protecting you from unwarranted government surveillance. It will also require the government to prove that these records, as well as library and medical records, relate to a suspected terrorist or spy.

2. Protect the privacy of your communications.

The JUSTICE Act will amend FISA to limit the authority of the government when it comes to the collection of phone calls and emails coming into or out of the United States. The JUSTICE Act will require that the collection of phone calls and emails is at least targeted, and not conducted in a dragnet manner that targets even those Americans who aren't suspected of wrongdoing. Additionally, any communications collected as a result of this program without a warrant can only be listened to, used, or distributed if the government can demonstrate that they have reason to believe that the collected communications relate to terrorism. Additionally, this bill will rein in the PATRIOT Act's infamous "roving John Doe" authority, and requires the government to name the person or place that they require to be tapped.

3. Protect the privacy of your homes and business.

So-called "sneak and peek" searches are a gross abuse of government law enforcement powers, empowered to excess by the PATRIOT Act. The JUSTICE Act aims to rein in these abuses against your personal liberties by removing the government's ability to engage in these broad catch-alls, while ensuring national security concerns are met by permitting government officials to continue secret searches only in emergency or urgent circumstances.

4. Protect your First Amendment rights.

The JUSTICE Act will require that any gag orders issued by national security letters or section 215 orders meet the traditional standards of the First Amendment. The burden will fall on the government to convince a court that national security is jeopardized by your speaking out against the government's actions, rather than on American citizens to prove otherwise.

5. Clarify the law to ensure only terror suspects are subject to prosecution.

At present, the material support statute criminalizes giving anything of value to a terrorist organization. While this statute's goals are laudable, it leaves vulnerable humanitarian workers who are fulfilling the missions of their organizations who might inadvertently provide support to members of terrorist organizations - even if they had no intention or desire to do so. The JUSTICE Act will amend the material support statute to ensure that Americans can only be prosecuted if they knowingly or intended to provide monetary or other support to terrorist organizations, or to support further terrorist acts. Additionally, it will provide safeguards to prevent the prosecution of people who work with or for charities that give humanitarian aid in good faith to war torn countries.

6. Hold companies responsible for violating the law and your privacy.

The JUSTICE Act will introduce provisions restricting telecommunications companies from sharing your private communications to the government without a warrant compelling them to do so. Any company that does turn over your communications without a warrant will be liable to redress and damages from American consumers in the courts under the JUSTICE Act.

These continue to be difficult times for our country and for our people. We will continue to have tough conversations about how to balance the needs of the government and the personal freedoms and rights of the American people, and my office will continue to fight for each and every Kansan as we navigate through the War on Terror. We continue to hope that Al Qaeda and its monstrous leadership will face justice for its crimes against the American people, and against thousands of others in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. And we will continue to demand that our government meet the high expectations of the people of Kansas. God bless America, and God keep our troops safe in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Congressman Miller, if you were looking for a co-sponsor on this legislation in the Republican Party, Amadeus Putnam at your service!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 pm

Mareadmonte wrote:
Dentali wrote:

"Yes, of course" the Bulldog said, through a few coughs with an attempt of masking it as him clearing his throat.

"First and foremost, we've gotta catch Bin Laden. I don't care if it takes the full force of our military, we have to get him as soon as possible. Catching that bastard will bring at least some sense of closure to the families of the people we lost in 2001. It'll begin the path to restoring trust and faith in government and the military to actually get things done. Pump more troops and equipment into Afghanistan and Iraq so we can finish the job and get our boys out of harm's way. Now, know that that doesn't mean I'm against the wars - far from it, but I think we should end them quickly to avoid a drawn-out conflict. We've got to put our foot down with...Iran, and all these, these nations in the Middle East and make sure we keep a hold on potential terrorist threats. Once we catch Bin Laden, we have to stop the wiretapping, the surveillance, all of that. It just ain't right for the government to spy on Americans. What we do have to do is keep a limit and tight security around Arab immigration - we can't continue the way we used to by just basic processes and background checks. These guys are thugs and we oughta treat 'em that way. I ain't got nothin' against those folks, it's just a fact of life right now.

Secondly, we've got to get healthcare costs down. We've got to make sure that every American can afford and can receive quality care. Now I don't have a concrete plan as of yet, but at the national level it would be wise to cut the tie between healthcare and employers with the same tax benefits. Allow plans to travel from job to job, and provide tax credits or some other form of subsidisation to companies willing to work with the government to lower costs. At the state level, I'd be open to looking into the federal government assisting with statewide reforms. Maybe expanding Medicare eligibility, some sort of Medicare reform.

Another thing we've gotta do is get out of NAFTA. Immediately. Cut tax credits and fine companies that outsource. It's really not complex - we leave NAFTA, and we renegotiate better terms with Canada and Mexico that will protect American workers and jobs. I don't have concrete plans or ideas, since I just announced my campaign last week, but my team's workin' on it. We've gotta expand drilling on American land and in American waters and reduce our dependency on foreign oil and gas. Once we do that and have sufficient resources and infrastructure to support it - we can start thinkin' about pollution and carbon emissions. One thing I refuse to do, though, is drill in any environmentally protected area or sensitive areas - our environment is one of our greatest assets. I've lived in the mountains all my life. The Smoky Mountains are my home, and I'd hate for them and any other natural beauty of our nation to be spoiled. Tax credits for companies that reduce emissions and protect the environment would be nice. I know, bein' from Arizona, you've been to the Grand Canyon a lot. It'd be a shame for our country to become like China or India, all dirty and smoggy like that.

Lastly, we've gotta protect the children and prepare 'em for the future. We've gotta make No Child Left Behind focus on individuals rather than groups to measure success. That's like callin' every Democrat not-Bernie Sanders, or every Republican not-Ron Paul. Get substantial federal funding into preschools and early education. Expanding after-school programs. Funding charter schools and non-traditional learning. Hell, it's the only time you'll hear me support somethin' non-traditional. School choice, while best left to the states, is a fundamentally sound idea. And you know, children are our future and we've gotta protect 'em. I see all these...these criminals skirting immigration laws and killin' American kids and ripping families apart with the drugs...it breaks my heart, it really does. We've gotta really strengthen our immigration enforcement. We can't be rewarding these thugs with citizenship for disobeying national law. Find 'em, ship 'em to immigration centers at the border, and have 'em wait there until they get the proper papers and then we let 'em in. But the minute any of 'em commits a felony, ship 'em back to their home countries. We ain't a country of law-breakers. We've gotta build a fence, a strong fence on the border. Make it electric, if it was practical, which it's not. Make sure nobody gets in without the papers. We are a country of immigrants and all different people, but not illegal people. Legal people, we love 'em.

That, concisely, is my plan. Four steps to fix our country - but I can't do it without support. So, I hear you're interested in providing some of that support?"

"I have a few more questions" Pierce said maintaining a calmness "You've been in politics awhile, surely you've looked at the Presidency before... Why now? Why are you the right person for this moment, what do you have that others don't?"

New Luciannova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby New Luciannova » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Eastview Community Center
Des Moines, Iowa
Thursday 9 March 2007
0800 Hours, Local

Amadeus Putnam rented a small plane for his campaign and flew in from Grand Rapids, Michigan last night where he was hoping his sympathy for people out of work and facing poverty would persuade them to be genuine. This is not to say the Congressman lacked empathy, he just had a hard time showing it in a normal way. He often looked at things from a detached, pensive, analytical, and intellectual way, rather than in a way rooted in emotionally connecting with another person. His wife, Kenzie, a clinical psychologist had strong suspicions he had Asperger’s Syndrome—an autistic spectrum disorder that often is characterized by difficulties in social interactions and while he had no trouble explaining economic theories, but when people were suffering, something he really had never truly encountered, he often could seem unsympathetic or cold. People might believe he could solve their problems, but not that he had any genuine concern for their well-being. He often let Kenzie demonstrate the warmness he seemed to lack, but Kenzie wasn’t on the ballot.
Iowa was not as painful as Michigan was, the state was used to being an early state and was naturally very politically engaged. Amadeus did manage to have a decent night of sleep at the local Marriott, but neither he nor Kenzie had as many hours as they would have liked. He was glad, however, not to have Artemis crying overnight, his parents would be watching the kids and the ferrets in Newbury until he could get back to New Hampshire. He called the kids daily and considered Outlaw part of his act, but really managing the ferret would have been tricky on the road.
Today, though, he was at the Eastview Community Center in Des Moines. Amanda had done a great job ensuring he could rent a large room that held 125 people for a town hall that day. On the drive over there, Amadeus had a breakfast that Kenzie had managed to gather at the hotel for him. Eggs, sausage, toast, and some cereal. He had an Earl Grey Tea in a to-go cup, he took his tea black with no sugar and always drank tea, he despised coffee. Kenzie was very much his opposite, she liked tea, but took her coffee with quite a bit of milk and sugar.
As soon as he arrived at the community center, a local member of the Republican Town Committee gave him a pretty simple introduction and he got in front of the room with a mic. He took his jacket off, it was quite warm in this room. Amanda chose not to play him in with music, she thought Rush could turn off the audience, which was almost entirely senior citizens. He was given a microphone and introduced himself, then opened to the audience for questions. Amadeus refused to screen the questions first, he felt that it would take away from the “authenticity” of the event. He counted on Amanda to pick where the mic went.
The first question came from an elderly woman in a purple sweater, “Mr. Putnam, you say you’re a man of faith, but I hear you say you don’t want to protect marriage ad between a man and a woman, how can you say that?”
“Good morning, Miss, what’s your name?” asked Amadeus, congenially.
“Ethel, sir,” said the older woman.
“Ethel, you seem like a person of faith too, are you a Christian?”
“Yes, sir. I’m a Roman Catholic” said Ethel.
“So we come from the same place. Now Ethel, I let my Catholic morality dictate my personal life and my belief in what is right and wrong on a personal level. However, in the Bible, Matthew 22:21, Jesus says, ‘render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and render unto the Lord what is the Lord’s.’ I see this as a clear indication that a separation of Church and state is something the Bible is in favor of. I agree, and think it’s in the best interest of society to enshrine that idea. I would never demand, command, coerce, or attempt to persuade the Roman Catholic Church, or any other religion, be is Mormons, Baptists, Muslims, Jews, or anyone else to allow same-sex couples to wed. However, plenty of faiths do allow same-sex ceremonies, Quakers and United Church of Christ, for example. I believe they should be allowed to do this, per their rights under the First Amendment, as much as it’s the Roman Catholic Church’s right to not do so. Protecting those distinctions is what’s important. Can I ask you Ethel, are you married?
“Oh yes sir, for over fifty years,” replied the old woman.
“Congratulations, I’ve been married for nine years,” replied the Congressman, “I have two marriage certificates at home. The one I got from my Church is framed on the wall in my dining room, the one I got from the courthouse is in a drawer somewhere in the garage. That’s because it’s the marriage by the Church that we love and cherish, and so long as the Church stays true to its values and maintains its traditions, I don’t care who the state allows to marry. Honestly, I don’t want the government to dictate marriage at all, I feel like the government has its hand in enough matters. That said, in addition to swearing to love my wife forever, I swore an oath to protect the Constitution and believe that who marries who should be a state issue, not a federal one. Does that help you?”
“I didn’t really think of it that way, Congressman, not sure if I completely agree, but it makes sense,” said Ethel.
“You can call me Amadeus, miss, and the great thing about living in a free country, we don’t have to agree on everything,” said Putnam.
An elderly man stood up and said, “Hi Congressman, my name is Bill. He took out a polaroid and said, this is my nephew, Michael, we called him ‘Mikey.’ He would have been twenty-seven today,” the elderly man sound like he was holding back tears, “but when he was twenty-four he died of a heroine overdose. It started with marijuana when he was sixteen. The cops let him off again and again, and he went into re-hab but it did not help him and he went into a downward spiral again and again until he finally died in this horrible accident. How can you support decriminalizing marijuana or even legalizing it and consider extending it to other drugs when these drugs have wrought such pain through society?”
“First, Bill, I am very sorry for your loss. I truly do recognize the danger of drug abuse in our society and the pain of addiction and strongly discourage everyone from using drugs. That includes marijuana.
“The issue I see though is that the punishments we use for using marijuana are ineffective and deter virtually nobody. The majority of high school and college students in these United States will at least try marijuana. A large portion will become regular users. Some will become addicts, but very few. Laws have had no impact on this.
“I will admit that for many marijuana acts as a gateway drug, but the data on that is somewhat inconclusive. Obviously some very tragic cases exist, but I would argue that prohibition has lead to this transition, as using an illegal substance puts one in touch with other criminals.
“There is no data to suggest that prison has helped people stop their drug habits. Not only is it very easy to obtain illegal drugs even in prison. We see very few people stopping their habits while incarcerated. We also see that those in prison for minor drug-related offenses usually become repeat offenders, or even graduate to higher crimes.
“Furthermore, if people are dealing with addiction of any substance, if it is a criminal offense they run the risk of winding up in prisons, but if it’s decriminalized we can handle it as a matter of public health, and that enables people to get the help they need. Like any health problem, of course, not everyone will respond to treatment the same way, but it’s better to treat than to continue prescribing things that do not work.
“I want to try to repair the problem of drug addiction, not worsen it. I would say to excess any drug, even legal drugs, like alcohol, can, as we know have serious side-effects and we have a highly developed way to combat alcohol addiction and I say that’s because it’s legal.”
Bill said, “do you want to legalize or decriminalize marijuana, what about other drugs?”
“I would start with de-criminalization of marijuana for small amounts, then gradually move toward increased legalization. I want to take small steps toward my program to give society a chance to adjust to the changes and allow nuances to emerge. A sweeping total legalization of all drug crimes would not work out so well. Once again, I am very sorry for the loss you suffered, but feel this approach will be the most positive and effective ones and would have made it easier for him to get help.”
Amadeus Putnam got a few safer questions such about helping people find jobs, how he planned to preserve social security, and his views on abortion and the Second Amendment. He joined many of the voters for brunch at the community center’s cafeteria after he had wrapped up. He overheard some saying they were impressed by what he said, Ethel seemed very enthusiastic and even went over to him and said, “thank you for answering your question so directly to me. I’ll have to think about your answer, but…..here’s a little something. She handed Putnam a check for $25.00. Putnam thanked her warmly and asked she hand it to his finance chair, Joe Vetrata Vetrata took the check and placed it into a manilla envelope. Several other people filed out with Ethel to make small donations.
“I think this Putnam guy is really smart,” Ethel kept saying, “I want to know, is there any way I can help out?”
“Thank you,” said Putnam, “If you give your info to Amanda, we can keep you updated on what we’re doing and you can stay in touch with the campaign.” Amanda took down Ethel’s information and gave her a business card.
Putnam’s libertarian message would be stronger in New Hampshire and Nevada, but he was surprised with the thusfar positive reception in Iowa and was looking forward to some barnstorming and touring local small businesses before going to Sioux City for a town hall. This one would probably be more composed of working people. He would then be back on the small plane to Casper, Wyoming.
Last edited by New Luciannova on Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:50 pm

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:

"I have a few more questions" Pierce said maintaining a calmness "You've been in politics awhile, surely you've looked at the Presidency before... Why now? Why are you the right person for this moment, what do you have that others don't?"

"Well, I think this is a real turning point for our country and for the world. It's the first open election of the century, we're coming to the end of the wars, we've had 8 years of Cush. There's people looking for change and for new leadership with new ideas. I have the ability, passion, and ability to unite the country that others don't. I'm not radical, I'm not extreme. I can appeal to all Americans and that's just what I aim to do. I'm running because I believe that my time to make a difference is now, with this election."

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 pm

CAROLE MARTEL
CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE
MARCH 10TH-MARCH 17TH 2007

Date: Saturday, March 10th
Time Spent: 5 hours retail, 3 hours endorsement pitching, 2 hours rally
Summary: Carole began her day visiting local Sacramento businesses, speaking with them about the declining economy under President Cush. She emphasized her support for small businesses and turbo-charging the economy by investing in infrastructure, creating opportunities for businesses to grow, removing bureaucratic barriers for start-ups, raising the minimum wage, and changing the tax code to eliminate incentives to ship jobs overseas. She spent the next few hours doing door-to-door knocking in neighborhoods, focusing on her platform to help working families and ensure parents can provide for their children. Afterwards she held meetings with local and state politicians, making her pitch to gather their endorsements, covering a range of issues. After that, she held a rally focusing particularly on healthcare and the environment.

"Far, far too many Americans have been left behind by our current healthcare system. More than 40 million Americans don't have health insurance today. Tens of millions are left praying that they don't get sick because they can't afford to get treatment. How can we as the greatest nation on earth force people to chose between their financial livelihoods and their health? America can do better, and I believe that my plan is a plan that will once and for all make healthcare a right for every American to have, not just a privilege for those who can afford it.

I believe America is ready for common sense universal healthcare. My plan for affordable healthcare will prioritize controlling and decreasing costs for everybody. It will prioritize giving people options for their provider, including a government option for those who want it. It will prioritize preventive care and will protect those with pre-existing conditions. It will prioritize catastrophic insurance that will help families and businesses avoid going bankrupt. It will prioritize cutting down premiums. These are all things that are possible, we just need the one sitting in the oval office to believe in these ideas and put Americans before the insurance industry."

Date: Sunday, March 11th
Time Spent: 7 hours retail, 3 hours town hall
Summary: Moving on to San Jose, Carole spent the morning attending a church service. She went to an after-church group and spoke with voters there, discussing her faith and how it influences her policy view. She also talked about lifting up families who were struggling under Cush. Later she went to Silicon Valley to meet business owners there, shoring up potential donors and speaking to them about the need for America to be the leading innovator in the 21st century. She then did a town hall to speak directly to voters. She particularly emphasized the need for affordable housing, citing her own experience in HUD working to lower the cost of living nationally, and she detailed her plan to reverse the Cush-era cuts to public housing, combat discrimination in the housing market, and fully fund the Community Development Block Grant. She finished the day meeting with workers involved in foreign trade, where she pitched not only her plan to ensure workers are treated more fairly and have the right to organize, but also her belief in fair trade, discussing the need for labor and environmental standards.

Date: Monday, March 12th
Time Spent: 5 hours retail, 4 hours town hall
Summary: Carole spent the first few hours of the day going door-to-door, speaking with voters, and handing out campaign flyers. She focused primarily on families, pledging to expand paid family and medical leave and the childcare tax credit. She proceeded to have a town hall with parents to discuss how to create new and better educational opportunities for their children. She spoke about the need to make pre-k more affordable and increase funding for after-school and summer learning programs, as well as the ideas espoused in her campaign launch in San Francisco.

Date: Tuesday, March 13th
Time Spent: 6 hours retail, 2 hours rally
Summary: Carole opened Tuesday going to the local farmer's market, being sure to support local business by buying fresh foodstuffs to enjoy on the road. She chatted with farmers about the need to support family farms that are so critical to American life, promising support for a safety net for farmers and investment in agriculture research. She would go on to tour a local food processing plant, getting to meet with the workers there as she made her pitch for protecting organized labor and keeping American jobs at home. She ended the day at a rally where she spoke on crime, housing, and jobs.

"It is unconscionable for the greatest country on God's earth to not be able to provide decent affordable housing for her people. Unfortunately, President Cush's policies are actively reversing the progress (not-Bill Clinton) and I made back in the day. What we need is leadership who knows what they're doing on these critical issues. I would immediately push to bring balance back to the housing market. I would push for more affordable rental housing, fund the Community Development Block Grants and reverse the Cush-era cuts to public housing. I did it in the 90s, and I can do it again. Hard-working Americans deserve homes we can afford, and a Martel administration would fight to bring that affordability to all Americans."

Date: Wednesday, March 14th
Time Spent: 5 hours retail, 4 hours town hall, 2 hours rally
Summary: The day started with the Senator doing her usual door-to-door stumping, meeting voters to discuss a variety of different issues. She then attend a meeting that included both police officers and ordinary citizens to discuss crime. She promised to reverse cuts to police resources and boost funding for departments to combat crime. She supported community policing efforts as well as efforts to get rehabilitate young people and nonviolent offenders. A town hall followed this where she went over multiple issues, particularly the war in Iraq which she voiced strong opposition to and pledged a phased withdrawal from the war-torn nation, as well as housing where she gave her usual stump pitch. She concluded with a rally that emphasized ending the Iraq War as well as a passage on global warming.

"The scientific consensus is clear on this issue: climate change is real and governments worldwide need to take action. America needs to be the leader in combating global warming, and we can start that by reducing our oil consumption by at least 35% by 2030. In place of that, we create a massive boom in clean energy, a boom that will create millions of decent-paying jobs and jumpstart our economy. And, folks, let's be clear: this will take a global effort to solve a global crisis. As President, I will invite the leading carbon emitters to form a new task force to tackle greenhouse gasses and develop new green energy technologies to secure a future for us and our children."

Date: Thursday, March 15th
Time Spent: 8 hours retail
Summary: This day started with Carole meeting with veterans and parents of Iraq War soldiers. She pitched the urgent need for a phased pullout from Iraq, supplying troops with the resources they need to leave safely. She pledged to do better than the Cush administration by having a clearly defined mission and objectively evaluating intelligence when America goes to war. She also supported plans to increase the size of the army. Afterwards she met with immigrants and immigrant advocates. She promised comprehensive immigration reform, securing the border and providing resources to border security. Carole also honed in on fixing the broken legal immigration system, particularly in terms of family reunification, as well as increasing the number of immigration visas. For illegal immigrants, she supported a policy for those who played by the rules to learn English, pay taxes and a fine, and go to the back of the line to apply for citizenship. She finished by doing more door-knocking.

Date: Friday, March 16th
Time Spent: Rest
Summary: The Martel family took a rest day to visit the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument.

Date: Saturday, March 17th
Time Spent: 6 hours retail, 3 hours town hall
Summary: Carole started off with a meeting with Riverside Teachers. She listened to their concerns and pitched her plan to raise teacher salaries and reduce classroom sizes to make classes more manageable. Afterwards she did more canvassing and door-knocking, followed by a town hall where she focused on her plans for jobs and economic growth, including raising the minimum wage and expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Die nasty!!111

Melovinta
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Melovinta » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:51 am

Yaruqo wrote:-snip-

Representative Gunsley read the bill over carefully, thinking to himself Let's hope the bipartisanship can blow over those damn allegations..., then pressing the button on his desk, waiting until his Staffer Roy entered. When Roy entered, the Representative said "Can you send an official message to Congressman Miller, tell him I'm interested in co-sponsoring his new bill, say that the bipartisanship will give the bill a higher chance of being passed. Plus, it'll make us both look good, and hopefully it can drown out those false allegations the NYT said about me.", Roy replied "Yes, Mr. Gunsley, I'll arrange for a message to be sent to the Congressman.", then exiting the office, as the Representative continued reading the bill.
reworking nation n stuff

New Provenance
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 09, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Provenance » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:23 am

The Oval Office, The White House
Washington, D.C.
March 15, 2007
President John W. Cush (R-TX)

"Now."

President John Cush's voice echoed throughout the Oval Office, where a couple of his staffers and advisors, including his Chief of Staff, were gathered to discuss a very important matter.

"What is this new JUSTICE Act?"

One of the staffers, Clifford, spoke up. Pulling a paper out from the folder of documents held in his hand, he read the excerpt from a New York Times article out loud to the President and the others in the room. "The JUSTICE Act, sir, is a proposed piece of legislation proposed by the office of Congressman Oliver Miller, a Democrat."

"Obviously." the President said gruffly.

"It emphasizes several key points, most of which aim to effectively nullify the PATRIOT Act, essentially. Uhh-" the staffer flipped the page on his document.

"Protection of the privacy of records of Americans, protection of the privacy of communications, protection of the privacy of homes and businesses, protection of First Amendment rights, clarifying the law to ensure only terror suspects are persecuted, holding companies responsible for violating the law and one's privacy, etc. etc."

Cush took off his glasses, obviously perturbed by the proposal. He had heard of dissent against the PATRIOT Act, it had always been a controversial piece of legislation, but he never expected such an attempt, especially right before the election. After several moments of consideration, the President sighed and turned to one of his staffers, Johnny, who specialized in monitoring Congressional affairs.

"Johnny, m'boy, who's endorsed this proposal so far? Any Republicans?" the President asked.

"None yet," the staffer replied, "but I think we should expect at least some Republican support."

"How so?"

"Election season, sir. Some of Republican Reps in Congress might support it to gain support-"

"For re-election." Cush finished. "I see."

"Perhaps we should release a statement, sir?" one of his other staffers, Piper, piped in.

Johnny retorted, saying, "No. It's too early, we should wait until the bill is introduced to the House to release a statement on it."

"Wouldn't it do us good to lobby early though-"

"No," the President interjected, "Johnny's right. It's too early. We should wait for now and see how this situation develops. It probably won't pass anyway, Americans know the threat of terrorism is still real."

"But sir," Piper said, in a fainter voice, "it's because of our failure to defeat the Taliban that the threat of terrorism is still real."

Another staffer sighed in agreement. "It has been seven years, sir."

Cush sighed, his eyes closed. He couldn't deny it. The United States had been stuck at war in the Middle East, fighting a dragged War on Terror that probably wasn't going to go anywhere in the near future.

"It's getting late. We'll discuss this tomorrow. Maybe we'll contact a Representative or something to gather their input." the President said.

"Gunsley, maybe?" Piper asked.

"No no, he's in a scandal right now. Insider trading, something like that. Accusations." Johnny replied.

"We'll take care of this tomorrow. Good night to you all, go home."

"Good night, sir."

Kavanis
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kavanis » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:33 am

Date: March 17, 2007 (Morning)
Location: Kingsport Center for Higher Education, Kingsport, TN 37660.

It was the weekend, and Jack had headed down to the district. He was in Kingsport for an event his staff had organized: “Celebrating America’s Heroes”. It was aimed at veterans, and there were various stalls from the education, employment and finance sectors. He was pleased that Eastman Chemical, the area’s biggest employer, had a stand. His own role was fairly limited; he’d walk around the room, strike up conversations, offer a quick “thank you for your service”, and be on his way before he got dragged into any knotty debates about the Surge. He was wearing a suit and tie (regulations forbade him busting out his old uniform, which he had always loathed and doubted even fit any more). He was already thinking about the pulled pork lunch the Chamber of Commerce had organized at a restaurant in town. Maybe he’d ditch the tie on the way over: no sense getting it stained with BBQ sauce. At the TriSummit Bank stall, a former Tennessee Air National Guardsman was asking about small business loans.

“We can certainly do more to support our veterans in starting up new businesses,” Jack agreed as he inserted himself into the discussion. “I’m going to be writing to the Small Business Administration to ask them to do more to support veterans.” Unfortunately, this particular veteran turned out to have a cousin in Louisiana, and immediately launched into a tale of woe (and not a little ire) at the SBA’s inept response to Katrina, for which Jack had to mumble a few half-felt apologies. That whole mess was a bit of a sore spot in Tennessee, after last year’s tornado outbreak had failed to produce anything like the same level of national response, so he had to hedge his response a little. “We’re going to do better for you. I’ve always been pro-business, and I think the best businesses to get behind are those started up by our brave men and women in uniform, not by illegal aliens like the Democrats would have us doing.” The veteran shuffled off with his some leaflets about finance opportunities and Jack was left with the (now that he noticed it, Hispanic) bank representative. He gave her a polite smile, which was not returned, and got out of there and right quick.

He had a little more luck extricating his foot from his mouth at a TDVS stand where a widow filling out paperwork for property tax relief thanked him for helping with her casework. He had no idea who she was – either one of his staff had done it, or it was so long ago he’d forgotten – but he took the sympathetic handshake all the same and offered the best condolences he could come up with on the spot. She admitted she was having trouble paying her mortgage. It was a complaint Jack was encountering more and more frequently from constituencies. The Financial Services committee had already had discussions about New Century Financial. “I want you to know we’re working real hard on this,” he promised her, although what he and some of the other Republicans on his subcommittee were actually working on was legislation to make lending requirements more stringent. Which, wouldn’t help her at all, but he didn’t feel the need to point that out as she gratefully hugged him and sobbed into his chest. So much for the tie.

Date: March 17, 2007 (Afternoon)
Location: Barbecue restaurant on Main Street Kingsport, TN, 37660.

Jack was more in his element at the lunch. He gave a short off-the-cuff speech, making sure to slip in mention of the USDA grant he’d recently procured, continuing on his theme of wanting reform at the SBA, and ending with a reminder about taxation. “The Democrats in Congress are planning on sneaking through a tax increase. See, they don’t actually need to pass a bill: all they need to do is let the tax cuts expire. They’re planning on getting away with it. That’s why I’m going to be continuing to advocate to make the cuts permanent.” He was very much speaking to the converted, of course, given the audience. He added a little on how “while the Democrats are setting up special committees on so-called global warming, the Republicans are going to be concentrating on keeping your taxes down and your companies free of malicious lawsuits”. And then mentioned the USDA grant thing again, because the chef wasn’t the only one who could cook up a little pork.

Date: March 17, 2007 (Evening)
Location: MeadowView Conference Resort and Convention Center, Kingsport, TN, 37660.

In the evening, Jack attended a reception by the Kingsport Economic Development Board at the Convention Center. There were a few state legislators and others from Tennessee Republican politics there, too. He couldn’t claim to have them eating out of his hand, though. There were some complaints from business owners that they were losing employees, called up for National Guard duty because of the troop surge. Jack found himself forced to defend his support for it. “We are not talking about a generational commitment,” he assured them. “A short, sharp increase in manpower numbers will break the insurgency, force the Sadrists to the negotiating table, and complete the mission as Iraq’s own army and police take on the security roles.” He tried to press the point that by voting against the resolution against the surge, he was ultimately most interested in ensuring the troops had the resources they needed, regardless of the politics. It had been a Tennessee Guardsman, after all, who’d (in)famously pressed the Defense Secretary on underpreparedness, and Jack said he had consistently voted to increase funding ever since.

His increasingly staunch stances on immigration also weren’t entirely music to the ears of the business community, who were warning him they needed labor, especially farm labor. Here, Jack found himself on rocky ground. He was tacking hard to the right on immigration as he sensed the groundwell of discontent in the local party, but at the same time he’d always been a friend to business in his career. Many of those around the table had donated to him way back when he’d been in the General Assembly, talking loftily about the American Dream. “No one’s talking about making it harder to do business,” he assured them. “We’re just talking about security. If our borders aren’t safe, our country isn’t.” He’d voted for the Secure Fence Act, and a few wanted to know how progress on it was going. He had to admit he hadn’t actually been down to the border to see, although he was beginning to think that if he was going to make a new name for himself on immigration, perhaps a photo-op down there wouldn’t be the worst idea? That’s if there were any opportunities for photos: from what he heard, not a great deal had actually been built yet.
“We have known freedom’s price. We have shown freedom’s power. We will see freedom’s victory.” – George W. Bush

Liz For Leader! #GirlBoss

Gyoric
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 29, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Gyoric » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:36 pm

The Meeting
15 March
Great Falls, Montana

It was fairly cold these times, though both Alex and the democratic nominee, who had gone from Juneau International Airport to Great Falls, Montana. They knew meeting in the capital would spark major scandal and the potential end of their own political careers, and even in their state, it was risky businesses. Making the flight from JIA over to Great Falls International Airport, the 8 hour trip had been filled with several books, preparing speeches and making small talk with his fellow nominee. As a frequent reader, he had read "America's Final Chance" - a fictional book about the alternate world in which Storm Thurmond had won the 1948 Election. The other book during the flight was "Yugoslavia's Destiny" - the history of Yugoslavia from it's introduction post-WW1 to it's collapse in the 1990's. He had enjoyed both. Aside from his reading during the flight, he had written several letters to leaders of Pressure Group, especially the Alaskan Environmental Group. He had wanted to gain the trust of the pressure groups in order to keep his re-election in order. However, meeting with his democratic nominee was crucial. If he could establish a deal, maybe he could establish himself as the Alaskan Representative for years to come, but a good patch of voters and some promises may be enough for it.

After their reasonably short drive to centre of the city, both had their way, with their respective assistants, to a local coffee shop. Despite it being an independent shop, it was busy at the time of 3:45 PM. As the wind got slightly faster, the cold temperatures dropped slightly lower, both would enter into the shop. Bennet, the democratic nominee for Alaska, would order a Latte, and Alex would order a large black coffee. Both were slightly tired from their early rise.

"So, we both want to become the representative, correct?" He asked Bennet, as Alex took a sip from his black coffee, the bitter state tingling his mouth. As his assistant dotted down some notes, as did Bennet's, Bennet prepared to respond.

"Yes, of course I am. But, what could you give me, Mr Representative?" Asked Mr Bennet, as he licked his lips from the taste of the latte. Both knew the room was tense, both knew only one could become the representative for Alaska.

"Theres much more than a single state. I've been contemplating an idea for several weeks, about a third party. We both know it will be the Republicans out of office, yet, we know that the democrats don't want to increase exploitation of resources in Alaska. So, it would be beneficial to me and you if we take the middle-way". He said, as he sat back, taking a much longer sip of coffee.

"A new party?! Your kidding? Not only would no one vote for us, we would be an embarrassment to American politics". He said in an aggressive and argumentative manner. Alex knew that the trust of an enemy was perfect, but to back-stab him would be even better. He knew that he had be sharp on motives, sharp on his goals. He had two clear options for his 2008 elections. Though he had a brief plan lined up to increase support from younger people, with his main base being Late 30's - Early 50's. He had supported a decrease to retirement, as-well as the Border Fence Act, despite it not affecting Alaska to any major extent. However, he also supported increase to minimum wage. His views had shifted since the recent election, though he needed to be. Alex went with one quote throughout it. "To be a politician is to be liar. It is to believe in what the people believe in, not you". He had never stuck with his views, in which was a part of criticism, concerning his seemingly ever-changing views on certain issues. But now, if he could gain the trust of Bennet, it was his cards, and his was playing solo.

"Let's talk over this another time, shall we?" Asked Alex. He was disappointed the idea of a third-party, a centre party to incorporate views from the Republicans. He quickly downed the rest of his black coffee, before scuttling off with his assistant. Racing to a nearby taxi, he would open his notepad, in which had been in his right pocket for the small amount of time during the talk. Now, he had to do one more meeting with Bennet to get his trust, then he had all the cards, and they were bloody good.

Hopal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hopal » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:20 pm

Representative Greg Shields (D-CA-28)
March 17, 2007
San Fernando, California

Greg Shields sat in the living room of his San Fernando home with his wife, Ellen, and his Policy Director, Linda Atkins. He had returned to California after a relatively dull visit to Washington, and a week of boring meetings with business execs and lobbyists. But here he was in his element, at home and discussing policy. He had grown to love his home state of California, and yearned to spend as much time as he could in it. Before, to him it was just a place, a place that held some pretty negative memories for him, but as he grew older and spent more time in Washington, he came to appreciate the state he came from.

Right now though, he was discussing the proposed JUSTICE Act, with his wife, and Policy Director Linda Atkins. Atkins was a very a campaign and election kind of woman, she was always thinking of the next election, and how every position Greg took would appear, in terms of how it would affect his re-election chances. Greg liked to keep his California and DC personnel very separate. He had Linda, his Policy Director, who would look after his campaign platform and policy positions, but he also had a Legislative Coordinator in Washington, John Snoops, who would be in charge of getting together legislation, and all of the optics of Greg's interactions with legislation in Washington, and how it would affect his political standing in Washington. Linda and John were two very different people, and while their were on the same files, they almost never interacted with each other. Greg's DC and California operations were so separated, that his Chief of Staff, Bill Wortley hadn't set foot in California for over a year, he lived in Washington, and had no interest in involving himself in election campaigns.

So there he was talking to his wife and Policy Director, as he waited for Carole Martel to arrive, they had set a meeting up, in which Greg hoped to discuss a range of things, from the presidential race to legislative possibilities for this Congress. But Greg was growing bored as Linda continued on about the optics of Oliver Miller's proposed JUSTICE Act. "Public sentiment is growing against the PATRIOT Act, but Republicans can easily flip the argument saying that Democrats are being soft on terrorism. The battle in public opinion can really go either way at this point."

Ellen interjected, "and this bill really is about the battle for public opinion. Cush is going to veto this, and this isn't getting a supermajority. So what do you think... Greg?"

Greg jumped out of his reverie, "Huh, you were talking about Miller's JUSTICE Act, right?"

Ellen and Linda glanced at each other, turned towards Greg and nodded.

"Can I read the press release again?" Linda nodded and handed Greg the piece of paper.

Greg was pensive as he read through it. Once he was finished he handed the paper back to Linda, and carefully considered his thoughts. "I totally get what you're saying Linda with Republicans. But this is pretty popular right now with the American public, we might to water this down a bit, but this can really win over the public. We need to show the public, a rebuke of the Cush Administration, and might be it."

Ellen responded to her husband's thoughts, "But can Republicans convince Americans to go against this? This can really go either way here."

Greg thought for a bit before replying to Ellen, "Miller still writes about keeping up the fight against terrorism. As I said we might want to water this down a bit; I think I might want to meet with him, when I get back to Washington. And I agree with you, this could go either way, but this is an opportunity. Look I'm not declaring my support for the bill, I'm not sure what I think of it, it can backfire really bad on us, but this is a big opportunity here." The room went silent as Greg gathered his thought. "I'm not formulating any concrete opinions on this yet, I'll leave that for later down the line, when we have a better idea of the public think of it. And I think when it comes down to it, I'll probably vote with the party line." The conversation was cut, though not necessarily short, when they heard Carole Martel arrive.
A Nation in South America, comprised of indigenous tribes, immigrants, French and Portuguese settlers, and European Socialists.
Representative Greg Shields (D-CA-28) [Twilight's Last Gleaming]

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:34 pm

Mareadmonte wrote:
Dentali wrote:

"Well, I think this is a real turning point for our country and for the world. It's the first open election of the century, we're coming to the end of the wars, we've had 8 years of Cush. There's people looking for change and for new leadership with new ideas. I have the ability, passion, and ability to unite the country that others don't. I'm not radical, I'm not extreme. I can appeal to all Americans and that's just what I aim to do. I'm running because I believe that my time to make a difference is now, with this election."

"Why are you still a democrat? if you dont mind me asking?"

Cybernetic Socialist Republics
Minister

Founded: May 17, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cybernetic Socialist Republics » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:09 pm

Governor Fleming's Campaign Schedule:

March 5th to March 10th

March 5th

Ames, Iowa

1 Hour Public Breakfast
2 Hour Meeting with Business Leaders
1 Hour Public Lunch
2 Hour Meeting with Local Politicians

Governor Fleming focused on the importance of high tech manufacturing and science and technology to the Iowa economy and how there is a popular but inaccurate perception as a state purely defined by agricultural politics, though the constructive values imbued in the state's psychology from when that was the case has helped it thrive in the 21st century.

Marshalltown, Iowa

1 Hour Q/A with Press/Citizens
1 Hour Public Dinner
3 Hour Town Hall

Governor Fleming spoke about the benefits to communities and economies of immigration He Referred to the importance of immigration reform and a path to citizenship for undocumented citizens. He cited the recent Swift raids in Iowa, noting that while he believes strongly in law and order, that the solution to the issue of immigration can't be found in crackdowns alone but in working to embrace those who hold the values of the communities they live in regardless of immigration status.

March 6th

Newton, Iowa
1 Hour Public Breakfast
1 Hour Public Lunch

Governor Fleming spoke about pending shut down of the local Washing Machine Plant, owned by a company that had been founded in that very town in the 1890s, that begun with layoffs in 2001 due to a desire to cut labor costs and to pursue cheaper costs in Mexico. He made the following comments:

"Be wary of the politician who's only response to the industrial betrayal of workers is 'tell your story.' At best, they're banking on their prominence and talent putting a large enough public relations cost on the relocating business, that abandoning layoff plans becomes cheaper than carrying them through. This is always a temporary victory as it does nothing to change the fundamental math that drove their decision in the first place. Even that victory is far from guaranteed, as it often relies on small town America putting their fate at the sympathy of the coastal media, when something as simple as celebrity break up can push the plight of working America a few pages back into the papers or down into the scrolling text on cable news. The only real solution is changing the economic calculations of business through government action..."

Altoona, Iowa

1 Hour Public Dinner
2 Hour Town Hall

Governor Fleming's primarily focused on telling a story of solidarity between hard working Americans regardless of social standing, gender, race, creed or other distinction. He kept to his message of fighting hard for Working Families and Striving Individuals. For the most part he let locals drive the conversation and reflected upon what they spoke of with his own life experience and what he's accomplished as governor of Pennsylvania, along with what he'd be able to bring to the table as President. He also spoke of the need to win the war of terror by bringing the world together and his experience working on the staff the ambassador to the untied nations in the mid 90s.

March 7th

Indianola, Iowa

1 Hour Public Breakfast
1 Hour Public Lunch

Governor Fleming pointed to the underrated importance of the arts and the need to fund them. He recounted the often under emphasized fact that a considerable part of the New Deal went towards funding art projects and even theatre. Says that the arts help communicate ideas and values across generations in ways that stick to people due to the associated enjoyment. Spoke about the Des Moines Metro Opera specifically. Additionally supported a timely withdrawal from the Iraq war.

West Des Monies, Iowa

1 Hour Public Dinner
3 Hour Town Hall

Governor Fleming spoke highly of the success of the employee owned supermarket chain that's headquartered in West Des Monies and how firms like it would always be the surest possible way to prevent the offshoring of jobs to other countries. Noted the presence of this employee own chain in one of the most well of areas in the United States is evidence of the the fact that this sort of ownership represents an objective improvement of the older ways of doing business. Focused on a belief that the American economy of the 21st century needed to be defined by companies like these and companies operating with an employee share ownership plans. He focused consistently on the historic bi-partisan support that ESOPs have consistently gotten and calls it political malpractice that democrats don't make their encouragement an center of their platform. He pointed to his successes promoting them in Pennsylvania as Governor and how he intends to go even further as president.

March 8th

Clive, Iowa

1 Hour Public Breakfast
1 Hour Public Lunch

Governor Fleming touched on the importance of human centered environmentalism, stating that even if one isn't concerned for the environment for its own sake, it makes sense to be conserve it for avoid the damage that can be done to human lives by pollution and climate change, or even things simple as not having as many trails or parks to enjoy to escape the bustle of modern life. He Promoted his vision of emergent environmental action, where the government imposes monetary costs on polluters while directly returning any revenue from the levies to cities, allowing for environmental preservation to emerge from the planning of citizens, businesses and organizations rather than the government.

Waukee, Iowa

1 Hour Public Dinner
2 Hour Town Hall

Governor Fleming listened to the concerns of citizens rather than specifically focusing on a narrative beyond his general support for deliberate progressive action through federal policy. He chose to give significant preference to women speakers and issues in an attempt to give voice to young and middle age women who may otherwise feel largely unrepresented on the campaign trail this presidential election. He also spoke of his support for a safe and timely withdrawal from troops from Iraq.

March 9th

Urbandale, Iowa

1 Hour Public Breakfast
1 Hour Public Lunch

Governor Fleming focused on the importance of a an efficient and affordable system of transportation and to consider public transportation and private automobile usage to be complementary rather than adversarial choices in transportation strategy. He suggested that gasoline costs and traffic could be reduced through the promotion of walk, biking and public transportation options for anyone willing to use them. he spoke about successes and struggles he's had as governor of Pennsylvania on tackling entrenched interests in the transportation sector. He also covered ways to make communities more walkable, by rewarding property owners for developing land rather than siting on it idly, along with other smart development concepts.

Johnston, Iowa

1 Hour Public Dinner
3 Hour Town Hall

Governor Fleming presented out a vision for the agriculture industry. He mentioned a preference for bringing up small farmers to the level of big agricultural rather than tearing big agriculture and potentially raising food costs, embracing efforts to help small farmers work together in the form of associations, co-ops and even outright mergers where effective. Voiced a preference for rethinking agricultural subsidies in a way that puts choice in that hands of consumers rather than bureaucrats interacting with business lobbyists, with the belief that most citizens will choose to help the high quality little guy over the low quality big guy, providing resources for the little guy to scale up and incentive for the big guy to improve quality. Fully supports backing the growth of biofuel given the fact that the united states imports vast amounts of oil from the middle east, in an effort to cut that down and build energy independence. Supports what independent scientists say about bot the problems and potentials of genetical modified organisms, but unequivocally supports labeling of all products that contain GMOs.

March 10th

Ankeny, Iowa

1 Hour Public Breakfast
2 Hour Door to Door Retail
1 Hour Public Lunch
3 Hour Rally

Governor Fleming went door to door discussing the issues that Iowans spoke the most about in the course of his visit to Iowa so far. Additionally, he focused on the importance of the real estate development industry to the continued economic strength of the country. He insisted that is is the propagative of all levels of government to do all they can to ensure that working families and striving individuals have a good place to call home, if for no other reason than the benefit of the next generation of Americans who might otherwise grow up in circumstances that are counterproductive to them becoming good and capable citizens for 21st century global competition. similar to his door to door retail politics, his rally focused on those issues that Iowans have proven most concerned about so far in the campaign, in addition to featuring speeches from local figures that appeared to voice the concerns of Iowans effective while seeming to be supportive of the Fleming campaign. A large volunteer drive was also pursued.

Des Moines, Iowa

1 Hour Public Dinner
Evening Mass at St. Ambrose Cathedral

Governor Fleming mostly focused recapping his campaign so far and answering questions about all the citizens he had visited so far, the people he met and what stuck with him. After a public dinner, Governor Fleming attended Catholic Mass to fly to New York for March 11th to attend a fundraiser and participate in the sunday cable news circuit if possible.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:03 am

Jéan-Jacques St. Cierge
Striking almond planters march, Fresno, California
March 17th, 11:00 AM

While J.J.'s campaign manager was setting up both a staff team and a campaign headquarters in Iowa, to catch up to the mass of politicians and hopefuls already schmoozing Iowa voters, Jéan-Jacques was buffing his progressive credentials at a rally in Fresno, California — seat of the largest almond-growing county in the US. The workers at United Almond, nearly all of them immigrants and many of them undocumented — were protesting that the company had refused to increase pay and shorten working hours in the hot California sun. They were also angry that United Almond started offering health insurance benefits to higher-wage but low-skilled workers — such as those working the almond processors.

Jéan-Jacques had flown in all the way from DC, allegedly to meet with donors, but really just for this rally, now on its second day.

"Workers, footsoldiers of the economy, backbone of America, the most oppressed, discarded, ignored, neglected, badly-paid, and crucial part of modern America, listen up! You have made the right choice, not to put up with this low-pay shit any longer!"

He waited for cheers. They came.
"Today you're striking, today you're standing up to the corporations that want to screw you over, kick you into the mud, and laugh as you pull yourself up with calloused fingers. Today, United Almond will see that without their almond pickers, there is no United Almond! America will see that without giving you respect, they won't be able to reap what you sow! I'm standing with you, because I know what's going on, while the politicians and the businesspeople who have never known the hot sun stand there perplexed as to why and how you're standing up for yourself.

Let me ask you, have you unionized?"

"No!"
"Why? Why have you not been allowed to form a brotherhood of people who have known as much strife as you to force businesses to be fair? Why is United Almond so anti-people? Let me ask you this — do you want to unionize?"

"Will we have to pay some kind of union dues?"
"..no? I don't know, that's a question of union policy within your union, not something I can do. That's beside the point. Now, do you want to unionize?"

"Yes!"
"Then do so! Do so knowing that you'll feel the brunt of the corporate heel on your back, trying desperately to protect their interests at and only at your expense. Stand up for your rights, and keep striking until United Almond finds out that without the almond pickers there is no almond company! Show them! Force them! Stand for yourselves, and think of Cesar Chavez and Eugene Debs and all the workers that have stood for themselves before you. Be strong and good luck."

A final round of cheers went up into the air.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:26 am

Mareadmonte wrote:
Dentali wrote:

"Well I intend to endorse before Iowa, and i'll be chatting with just about everyone before I make a decision... I like a lot of what your saying but I want to see how you operate in the race itself.... I'll let you know when I make a decision."

Melovinta
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Melovinta » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:17 am

HAROLD GUNSLEY
CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE
MARCH 18TH-MARCH 24TH 2007

Date: March 21st
Time Spent: 6 Hours
Summary: Representative Gunsley had arrived in Columbus after a one hour flight from Toledo, arriving at the rally in which he'd announce his candidacy. In his speech, he announced that his exploratory committee had dropped the "exploratory" from the name and that he was officially running for the office of President of the United States. In the speech he emphasized his support for businesses, his support for keeping the Cush tax cuts, his plans for stronger border enforcement but also a path for citizenship, his plans to slash regulations, his support of civil unions for homosexuals, and his plans for a steady withdrawal from Iraq among other things.

"I am the sensible Republican candidate, many of my opponents are not military veterans yet they act like they know everything about military matters. Y'know, I served in the Gulf War, I served in Iraq before the Iraq War, and I know our enemy. He is fierce, zealous, and willing to die if it means he takes you with him, which is why I support a steady withdrawal. Some Democrats support a reckless withdrawal which would leave the current Iraqi government hanging in the wind, while some of my fellow Republican support ramping up the amount of troops which would only see more American boys come back in flag-draped coffins and our enemies to justify their cause. What we need to do is help the current Iraqi government build up its military to protect itself and put our troops at risk only when ABSOLUTELY necessary while the Iraqis prepare themselves to fight on their own. And trust me! We WILL usher in the new American Dream!"

Date: March 22nd
Time Spent: 9 hours
Summary: Representative Gunsley travelled to Des Moines from Columbus, having already arranged for a speech where he would take questions from him supporters, he emphasized that he was not the son of a politician or a millionaire, that he had built his fortune from the ground up by using his intellect on Wall Street, that he was a honorable family man with a loving wife and children, and that he was a crippled veteran who had won a purple heart, showing off his prosthetic leg to the crowd, leading to a woman who had her son killed in Iraq to hug him, utilizing the moment for ads which greatly helped the Gunsley campaign.

Date: March 23rd
Time Spent: 8 Hours
Summary: Representative Gunsley along with campaign surrogates and supporters went door to door knocking, shaking hands with people, answering questions, and taking photo shoots. After finishing going door to door, he rode a campaign bus to Plymouth, repeating the same door-to-door campaigning, but the main meat and potatoes was him visiting the New Hampshire National Guard in the Pembroke Regional Training Institute, in which he met with the soldiers, emphasized his military experience, answered their questions, and had a photo taken of him holding a rifle and firing it in full auto.

Date: March 24th
Time Spent: 6 Hours
Summary: Representative Gunsley had arrived in Charleston after his New Hampshire trip, he met with coal miners, emphasizing his support of them and how hard their jobs must be, then he met blue collar construction workers, emphasizing that he was like them in terms of background and had built his fortunes by himself from the ground up. He finished it off by visiting small businesses and emphasizing his support for family run businesses, declaring that as President, he would slash regulations and low taxes for businesses.
reworking nation n stuff

Mareadmonte
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mareadmonte » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:31 pm

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:

"Why are you still a democrat? if you dont mind me asking?"

"Well, my daddy was a Democrat. My granddaddy was a Democrat. Since the party began, my family's always been Democrat. It's my heritage, it's my home. Now, I ain't at all happy with the direction we're goin' these past few years, and I think I can do something to change the direction of my party. It's not just a party to me, it's part of me. Unless somethin' drastic happens, I ain't jumpin' ship."

Dentali wrote:
Mareadmonte wrote:

"Well I intend to endorse before Iowa, and i'll be chatting with just about everyone before I make a decision... I like a lot of what your saying but I want to see how you operate in the race itself.... I'll let you know when I make a decision."

"Of course, thanks for your time Senator." the Bulldog said, getting up and shaking hands with Pierce, before exiting.
Last edited by Mareadmonte on Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:42 pm

Jéan-Jacques St. Cierge
Hilton Garden Inn, Santa Monica, California
March 18th, 4:30 PM

In his Santa Monica hotel room, J.J. dialed up Senator Pierce's office.

"I'm Jéan-Jacques St. Cierge, Senator Pierce should be expecting me — could you put me through?" J.J. told his assistant.

Gene Katsikanis, setting up the St. Cierge for President campaign HQ in Des Moines, emailed Jéan-Jacques a rough draft of his campaign sign, minimalist but striking.

MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse