NATION

PASSWORD

There Darkness Dwells... (OOC/Fantasy/Character/Mechanics)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hinzland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Blargleyarg wrote:
Hinzland wrote:Nada. What character you thinking of making?

If I'm being honest, I have no idea

XD the RPer with great worldbuilding, yet doesn’t know his own character. Sounds like a Greek tragedy, and very rare. I feel like most in P2TM (me included) are great at making chars, and not so good at detailed worldbuilding, and you’re the opposite. Do you have any ideas yet?

As a side note, thanks everyone for the input! Shout outs to Nagakawa for the excellent two countries and religions, shout out to Blarg for the creative monsters and creatures, and Ovsy for the questions about the money, farming, and dice mechanics. I’ll have the OP completely updated by Tuesday night, and the IC posted by The weekend, with the RP officially beginning when everyone gets up an accepted character app and makes their introduction post in the IC.

As of right now, the first adventure will consist of a group of adventurers in the Barrens meeting at an recently abandoned camp, forced together to defend themselves from an unusually large and aggressive wolf pack. Whether or not your chars know each other, why they’re in the Barrens, and what their short term and long term goals are is completely up to the author themselves, to be coordinated in the OOC and acted out in the IC.

Any country, faction, tribe, or group you create will be under your creative control. For example, if the party finds themselves in Ruo, nagakawa will control all state actors in the country as it’s his creation, such as nobles, influential people, even inconsequential NPCs. It would feel wrong for me to take direct control of them, because it wasn’t my idea and I wouldn’t know how to RP them as Nagakawa would have intended. However, if that country/group/etc would want to go to war, or do something that would affect the long term lore of the setting, it would require OP approval first. Same with me. If i wanted Oxvaal to try and conquer some original Authors country, I would ask approval and work with them to make it interesting and pertinent to the story of the party.
There Darkness Dwells… FanT Roleplay!
“Congrats on surviving high school, now pay your damn taxes!”
NS stats are to be taken literally.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ceystile » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:25 pm

Bit of a WIP since I’m still learning the stats.

Name: Scatha Castle, also known by his nickname Scatha the Shadow.
Appearance: (will be here soon)
Race: Human (tho it’s suspected he may have had some elvish ancestry down the line)
Origins/Background: Seer/clairvoyant
Class: Mage (sorcerer)
Vitals (55 Pts. or GM can Roll for you)
-Strength: 7
-Charisma: 12
-Dexterity: 10
-Intelligence: 14
-Wisdom: 11
Total Wounds: 2
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): 7
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): 10
-Magic Attack (Mage Mod.+Class): 6
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): 13
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): 0
Melee Weapons: A silver knife
Ranged Weapons: None
Firearms: None
Armor: None

Spells Known:

Spell Name: Divination
Function: Divination
Description of Effect: Peer into the future using your mind's eye (with the help of an arcane focus, Scatha’s is a pack of semi-sentient tarot cards) to see a possible outcome. The vision is randomly decided and the odds of it happening depend on a dice roll/the DM's discretion (as the future is not set in stone)
Mode of Action: Focus
Cost: 4 Chaos Points
Skill Level: Master

Spell Name: Firebolt
Function: Attack
Description of Effect: d20 to Hit, d6 Damage. "A spark of flame begins in your hand, and erupts in a line of burning flames towards your target."
Mode of Action: Ranged
Cost: 1 Cast Point
Skill Level: Novice

Spell Name: Fog of Hel
Function: Alteration
Description of Effect: Specify desired area. Roll d20. The larger the desired area, the higher I'll make the spell difficulty. Causes a thick layer of impenetrable darkness over the desired area that enemies can't see through. "The dense darkness of the Helscape seeps surrounds your body, before expanding over the battle, covering your enemies eyesight." -10 to Enemy Attack Rolls
Mode of Action: Area of Effect
Cost: 3 Cast Points
Skill Level: Adept

Spell Name: Shield
Function: Conjuration
Description of Effect: Conjures a shield that can absorb a certain amount of damage
Mode of Action: Defense
Cost: 1 cast point
Skill Level: Novice

It all began with the dreams. That shouldn’t be very remarkable, right? I mean we all dream, it’s normal to dream. Everything was normal, my family was normal.
Mother, father, two sisters, brother. We all had bits of magical talent due to our bloodline, and my brother being the show off he is excelled at the bangs and flashes side of sorcery, but besides that my life was pretty nice and unremarkable…except for the damn dreams. I would have dreams so vivid that I thought they were real ever since I was little, but come to find out they actually were real. Well, sometimes. Sometimes the things I dreamt about actually occurred, and I would freak out when they did.
One day when I came home, pale and shaking from another “dream turned real”, my mother pulled me aside and explained that the sorcery in our blood sometimes resulted in those who saw the future, Seers as they were known. That the dreams I got were actually visions, and since the future was not set in stone, I only saw one or several possible outcomes and that they were not guaranteed to happen. But since I was having them nonetheless, I should learn how to refine them. My family knew of another Seer, somewhere across the continent. Someone who could help me channel my powers and refine my visions, and so I prepared to set out.
Last edited by Ceystile on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Nagakawa
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Nagakawa » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:25 pm

Hinzland wrote:
Ovstylap wrote:Weighing into the discussion on population, how similar is food production to our world? For instance for much of human history, especially around the medieval period, you'd be looking at around 90% of the population having to be involved in food production- is this the case in much of the world today? In which case if there were say 10,000 people in a city you'd be looking at around 100,000 in the surrounding hinterlands assuming there's plenty of other towns and still other roles being fulfilled?

A few questions to build from this:
So, how much of the population is involved in farming?
Is there a major reliance on hunting or fishing, which provided the stocks don't run out, is less labour intensive?
Does magic have a role in producing food?
Is food easy to access?
Do most people have access to currency, or is barter preferred?

There is a huge reliance on hunting and fishing, and the majority of workers are engaged in hunting and fishing.
Maybe magic has a role in producing food? Maybe that’s one of the jobs of an areas mages, to make sure the food is grown and preserved?

Money: The free cities have a united monetary system based on coin. The majority of major guilds, towns in other countries, dwarven strongholds, orcish tribes will accept it, with the exceptions of Ice Raiders from the Glacial Isles, and the people of the Borderlands, as they value grain and meat above good, due to the war causing a lack of food.

@nagakawa The location still doesn’t make sense to me. If Ruo was to border the Barrens, they’d have to be located in either the North, or the Borderlands ( the Huge inland sea prevents countries in the west from directly bordering the Barrens, it would have to take a land route through the Northwest and the North, which would be a massive distance). Since the north can’t easily access Wado, I suggest placing Ruo on the west coast of the continent, where through the encompassing ocean, can reach Wado, trade with the Isles of the Rising sun, And attempt missions to the south eastern jungles. Think of the continent as a massive donut, with a huge sea in the middle of it. This sea is bigger than the encompassing ocean. The Risong Sun Isles sit in the encompassing ocean between the West Coast of the Continent, and the East Coast of the continent. West and East are relative based on the city of Brymcyr, in the middle of the inland sea

Right, I see. I’ve had a bit of trouble visualising the shape of the landmasses and the continents. Either way, I’ve edited the locations again.

Edit: specifically, I’ve changed the lore post to mention simply that Ruottia is located along the West Coast, as well as swapped about the relative positions of its constituent kingdoms a bit
Last edited by Nagakawa on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you run, you gain one, but if you move forward, you gain two.

Nagakawa
Diplomat

Postby Nagakawa » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:31 pm

[I’ll have the OP completely updated by Tuesday night, and the IC posted by The weekend, with the RP officially beginning when everyone gets up an accepted character app and makes their introduction post in the IC.
[/quote]

Oh sick. I should probably hurry up and finish my apps, then :D

Blargleyarg
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Blargleyarg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:41 pm

Hinzland wrote:
Blargleyarg wrote:If I'm being honest, I have no idea

XD the RPer with great worldbuilding, yet doesn’t know his own character. Sounds like a Greek tragedy, and very rare. I feel like most in P2TM (me included) are great at making chars, and not so good at detailed worldbuilding, and you’re the opposite. Do you have any ideas yet?

Yep, that's me lol
I have like one very vague idea for a character atm

Hinzland wrote:As a side note, thanks everyone for the input! Shout outs to Nagakawa for the excellent two countries and religions, shout out to Blarg for the creative monsters and creatures, and Ovsy for the questions about the money, farming, and dice mechanics. I’ll have the OP completely updated by Tuesday night, and the IC posted by The weekend, with the RP officially beginning when everyone gets up an accepted character app and makes their introduction post in the IC.

Glad you liked the stuff I posted!
I'll eagerly await the IC. :D
(╯°^°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:34 pm

Considered interested. Might make a dwarf. Though will the equipment list be expanded? I see a distinct lack of polearms, shields and other weaponry.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Union Princes wrote:Considered interested. Might make a dwarf. Though will the equipment list be expanded? I see a distinct lack of polearms, shields and other weaponry.

Hey dude! Welcome aboard.

To answer the question, the equipment list, spell list, everything regarding char creation specifics is more of a guide. Any weapons and equipment is allowed, and if it seems overpowered to me I’ll let you know.

Feel free to include any background lore of your dwarf, such as his clan, if he’s from a stronghold, where it’s located, anything! I’ll let you know if you have make any changes so it fits with the setting. As a general rule, strongholds are generally set inside of a mountain or mountain range, growing from being a small mining colony to becoming a near impenetrable fortress, composed of multiple clans, with one being the owner/leader of the stronghold. It has plenty of underground areas, such as housing, armories, forges, and mead halls. It serves as a place where dwarves can come and craft and trade and socialize. There is usually an above ground bazaar where the clan can trade with the outside world.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:29 am

Name: Ariana Forsyth
Appearance: My daughter
Race: Human
Origins/Background: Poet/author
Class: Bard
-Strength: 8
-Charisma: 12
-Dexterity: 12
-Intelligence: 13
-Wisdom: 10
Total Wounds: 3
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class):
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): 12
-Magic Attack (Mage Mod.+Class): 0
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): 16
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): 0
Melee Weapons: A family heirloom dagger, her mother's rapier
Ranged Weapons: None
Spells Known: None
In the land of Forpris green
Where grassy moors sprawl wide
There lived a maid born to be queen
She learned the role with pride
The only thing she loved more than
Her tall fiance fair
Was writing witty words that can
Make one glad or despair

Betrothed from birth to the golden prince
She dreamt of bridal white
Dreams harshly dashed that evening since
She caught him that one night
A maid that clearly weren't herself
Lay with him in his bed
And slowly love bright hardened to
A cold and icy dread

"This insult won't go unavenged"
The noble maiden swore
Silent as a cat she wrenched
Herself far from the door
Blinking from a haze of tears
Alone sat in her den
Rage burning tamped down all her fears
As she took up ink and pen
She wrote a poem so blistering
With words like poison darts
She'd give her faithless listening king
His own dejected heart

A tourney grand was held that week
With knights and ladies fair
The maiden asked if she could speak
As she approached the chair
King and duke and faithless prince
In gaiety sat 'round
And as she spoke, laughter and cheer
In deep silence was drowned
Each word dripped burning venom bright
As from a fanged snake
The prince screamed as if his face alight
And burns left in its wake.

"You dare stand to insult the Crown!"
The king boomed with thunderous voice
The noble maid did not back down
"He left me with no choice."
"Take her to the dungeons, now!"
Prince shouted to his guards
"Lock her up in darkness down
Let's see how she likes bars!"

"Fat chance, you whoring blathersnite!"
The maiden cried full sore.
And off she swept into the night
To ne'er resume that shore.
Last edited by Ceystile on Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:26 am

Hey OP, how many characters are we allowed to have?

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:42 am

Hinzland wrote:
Blargleyarg wrote:If I'm being honest, I have no idea

As a side note, thanks everyone for the input! Shout outs to Nagakawa for the excellent two countries and religions, shout out to Blarg for the creative monsters and creatures, and Ovsy for the questions about the money, farming, and dice mechanics. I’ll have the OP completely updated by Tuesday night, and the IC posted by The weekend, with the RP officially beginning when everyone gets up an accepted character app and makes their introduction post in the IC.

As of right now, the first adventure will consist of a group of adventurers in the Barrens meeting at an recently abandoned camp, forced together to defend themselves from an unusually large and aggressive wolf pack. Whether or not your chars know each other, why they’re in the Barrens, and what their short term and long term goals are is completely up to the author themselves, to be coordinated in the OOC and acted out in the IC.

Any country, faction, tribe, or group you create will be under your creative control. For example, if the party finds themselves in Ruo, nagakawa will control all state actors in the country as it’s his creation, such as nobles, influential people, even inconsequential NPCs. It would feel wrong for me to take direct control of them, because it wasn’t my idea and I wouldn’t know how to RP them as Nagakawa would have intended. However, if that country/group/etc would want to go to war, or do something that would affect the long term lore of the setting, it would require OP approval first. Same with me. If i wanted Oxvaal to try and conquer some original Authors country, I would ask approval and work with them to make it interesting and pertinent to the story of the party.

It keeps getting better and better. A DnD style game I can partake in? An organised OP? A co-operative worldbuilding experience with depth, breadth, and variety? A Collaborative story effort? A high quality slow-burner where we don't necessarily have to keep waiting on one another? Mechanics? A Fantasy world? COUNT ME IN!

I need to come up with a character though. Hmmm I did sign up for a different RP which hasn't taken off with a gruff exile mercenary, and although I loved the background for him, I'll come up with something different for this one I think. Yes I second that, perhaps a character and a backup for maybe later/a well built NPC I could make perhaps if we can make more than one character.

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:39 am

Ceystile wrote:Hey OP, how many characters are we allowed to have?

As many as you want to use.

I got called into work today guys so the final OOC update is going to be postponed until tomorrow night. I’ll include all player apps and player lore in the final update.

@nagakawa as soon as your chars stats and vitals are completed I’ll accept them. And Wado and Ruo are both ACCEPTED! Thanks for the contribution :)

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:08 pm

So thinking about the origins of my dwarf character. Since the dwarf race is in its twilight years, thinking of taking inspiration from the Roman Empire. Mainly the Byzantines.

So the idea that the dwarf empire collapsed into two smaller kingdoms before one of them fracturing into a million pieces as the Orcs, humans, and elves moved in to claim the remnants. Meanwhile, the remaining dwarves retreat to the second capitol and rebuilt the dwarf power there. A Constantinopole built inside a mountain. An absolute metropolis of a dwarf city.

Blargleyarg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Blargleyarg » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:51 pm

Name: Rosetta "Rosie" Maise
Origins/Background: Apprentice to a Freebooter Captain's tailor, fled upon their master's death.
Class: Thief
Str - 9 (-1)
Cha - 13 (+1)
Dex - 18 (+4)
Int - 10 (0)
Wis - 6 (-2)

Total Wounds: +1 (human), +2 (thief) = 3
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): +5 (+9 if hidden)
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): Ranged +5 (+9 if hidden)
-Magic Attack (Mage Mod.+Class): N/A
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): +9
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): Armor +12, +2 To Dexterity Rolls
Melee Weapons: Tailor's scissors, gardening shears, leatherworker's hammer
Ranged Weapons: Two crossbows, one light, one heavy
Spells Known: N/A
Introduction: WIP

Although born and raised in the hellhole that is the Borderlands, Rosie, unlike many of her peers, was able to escape the carnage at the age of sixteen when her "aunt" Lorelei adopted her. Lorelei was the personal tailor and occasional girlfriend of one Ajax Malory, a powerful freebooter lord. Lorelei taught Rosie to do three things when she lived with her- how to schmooze, how to steal, and how to sew. That coupled with Ajax teaching her how to fire crossbow on occasion has made her pretty well-rounded.

Unfortunately Rosie's happy life was interrupted roughly a year ago during the annual Freebooter's Convention, an event where various mercenary bosses met on neutral grounds to discuss business. This event, however, was different- dozens of the lords were brutally murdered by Ajax via orcish assassins he hired. After the slaughter, Ajax blamed it all on a nonexistent orcish gang and swore to take vengeance. The surviving bosses, angry and frightened, ate up this rhetoric and promptly swore fealty to Ajax in the hopes that he would protect their lives and businesses from the "orcish menace". Mr. Malory now controls a large faction of mercenaries and seems to be intent on creating a wider criminal enterprise.

However, any witnesses to the massacre would put a severe dent in these plans and might result in his death, which is why he had them all exterminated. One such witness being Lorelei, who was appalled by Ajax's betrayal. After having her and others killed by the same orcish goons he'd used for the Convention, he felt safe. Up until one of his minions informed him of Rosie running off, that is. Fearing that Lorelei had told her about the massacre's real culprits, he set a bounty on her head- one high enough to attract some very dangerous characters. He'd prefer to bring her in alive as he's always been somewhat fond of her, but is willing to put this aside if it's not possible.

Our intrepid heroine, though, hasn't the slightest clue of Ajax's betrayal or even that they were the one who set the bounty- in fact, they're hoping to run back to Uncle Ajax after they get rid of the couple dozen bounty hunters on their trail.
Last edited by Blargleyarg on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
(╯°^°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nagakawa
Diplomat

Postby Nagakawa » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:53 pm

Hinzland wrote:
@nagakawa as soon as your chars stats and vitals are completed I’ll accept them. And Wado and Ruo are both ACCEPTED! Thanks for the contribution :)

Sweet, I’ll finish my apps by today or tomorrow. Also, happy to hear you like the nations I built :)

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:02 pm

Name: Thrumlin (of Clan) Holdfast (of Stronghold) Valonmark
Race: Dwarf
Origins/Background: A veteran warrior that served faithfully to his clan and stronghold before being given a chance to be an adventurer
Class: Fighter
Strength 17 (+3)
Charisma 8 (-1)
Dexterity 10 (0)
Intelligence 9 (-1)
Wisdom 9 (-1)
Total Wounds: 5
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): 7
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): 3
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): 0
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): 20
Melee Weapons: A Gladius, steel aspis, two-handed hammer
Ranged Weapons: N/A
Firearms: N/A
Armor: Full Plate
I became a soldier to my clan once my beard has reached down my neck. In the army in which it marched east, I served for four years against the orcs; the fifth year I was honored for my bravery and received many recognitions for my clan. After the orcs retreat to their lands; when we were brought back to Valonmark and relieved for duty, I immediately volunteer under the banner of Lord Frosrun to recover a lost hold in the north. The commander considered me worthy to be assigned as an Ironbreaker, to be placed in the vanguard where the fighting is thickest. For the third time, I enlisted as a volunteer in an army that was set against an elf incursion trespassing a dwarf hold. By Lord Grilvem, I was made a standard-bearer for my unit of Ironbreakers. After the elves were humiliated, we marched back to the capital. Thrice after, I served in campaigns in the local region driving out the foreign hordes seeking to conquer Valonmark. Then I campaigned thrice more against the elves, orcs, and humans that sought to claim the various dwarf holds as their own. I was brought home by High King Dwunrar along whom he brought with him many others he wishes to honor in the Triumph for their bravery. My grandest moment was when my beard has grown long enough to reach my belly, establishing me as a Longbeard. 43 times I was rewarded for my loyalty and diligence by my commanders. Having served over a century, I was released once more and returned to my clan with full honors.
Last edited by Union Princes on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:26 pm

Union Princes wrote:So thinking about the origins of my dwarf character. Since the dwarf race is in its twilight years, thinking of taking inspiration from the Roman Empire. Mainly the Byzantines.

So the idea that the dwarf empire collapsed into two smaller kingdoms before one of them fracturing into a million pieces as the Orcs, humans, and elves moved in to claim the remnants. Meanwhile, the remaining dwarves retreat to the second capitol and rebuilt the dwarf power there. A Constantinopole built inside a mountain. An absolute metropolis of a dwarf city.

Interesting concept. Would it be strictly dwarves? How big of a regional powerhouse would they be? How interested in others political affairs are they?

I kind of view the Dwarves of this world as honorable Ferengi (if you’ve ever watched Star Trek). If you don’t know what ferengi are, then: the dwarves are an honorable, craftsmen people, less worried of the affairs of others and attempting to rebuild whatever strongholds and clans they have left to begin rebuilding their race. They’re avid merchants and traders as well, only selling the best of goods. Dwarven smithing and masonry is renowned as the best in the world. Although they’re excellent warriors, their society is less of a martial one and more of a “corporate” one. Well, as corporate as you can get in a medieval setting.

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:26 pm

Blargleyarg wrote:So, this is the very rough outline of a character I'd thought up, not super attached atm

Basically a generic and somewhat wimpy human from the Borderlands area with no magical talent. Used to work for a tailor (and, ahem, consort) who worked for a Freebooter captain named Ajax Malory. A good opportunity for a peasant from a war-torn hellhole up until Malory killed a few dozen other Freebooter lords during a meeting on neutral ground (presumably for territory and/or power). And then all the witnesses in order to create a narrative that the attack was committed by an orc raiding party (despite there being no such party in the area). Shocked by the arrival of a new, bold, and dangerous (but nonexistent) faction, a good chunk of the Freebooter mercenary horde has aligned themselves with Mr. Malory due to a belief that their business and lives are each at stake. If word got out that Malory had in fact faked the attack and killed the other bosses himself, though, it'd be very bad news for him.

Which is why after killing the tailor/concubine (name was Lorelei) who was my character's boss, Ajax's minions were a bit peeved to notice [pc name] sneaking out during their assassination. Thus, Ajax ordered a bounty on their head, to be brought in alive or dead.

Our intrepid hero(ine?), though, hasn't the slightest clue of Ajax's betrayal or that they were the one who set the bounty- in fact they're hoping to run back to Uncle Ajax after they get the couple dozen bounty hunters off their trail.

I'm probably misinterpreting the nature of the freebooters, apologies if that is indeed the case

I'd appreciate some help with stats and stuff. Alternatively, if you've come up with a character that you'd like played, I could maybe do something with that, I dunno

Name: [first name here]Rose (or ross?) Maise
Origins/Background: Apprentice of a tailor who served a Freebooter captain, fled upon their master's death
Class: TBD
-Strength: Average, as they're wimpy but exercise often enough
-Charisma: Mid to mid-high
-Dexterity: Highish
-Intelligence: Mid to high
-Wisdom: Low
Total Wounds:
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): TBD
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): TBD
-Magic Attack (Mage Mod.+Class): TBD
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): TBD
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): TBD
Melee Weapons: TBD (For weapons I was thinking things an apprentice tailor might have (hammer, mixed in with what
Ranged Weapons: TBD
Firearms: TBD
Armor: TBD
Spells Known: TBD
Introduction: WIP

Looks dope and unique :)

Blargleyarg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Blargleyarg » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:31 pm

Hinzland wrote:Looks dope and unique :)

Glad you like! If you have any suggestions and/or help to offer I'd appreciate it
But, uh, please do so tomorrow, as I'm going to bed in a little bit (work in the morning, y'see)
right after I post something, that is
(╯°^°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:34 pm

Hey OP, I know I still gotta finish Scatha's app but what do you think of Ariana (I may bring back Pip too, I really liked him)

Blargleyarg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Blargleyarg » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:36 pm

A lone caravan guard, about to drift off to sleep, sees a blip of a startling bright red in the dark. Just as they're about to sound the alarm, they feel a sharp pain and look down to find that they've gained a deep laceration across their stomach. Attempting to scream as they grab at their innards, they find their throat cut, too. They're one of the luckier ones; they died quick.

Appearance: An orb 1-4 feet across with a layer of long, thorny vines extending from every point on their form. Like ropes, but tapered to points and coated in layers of glass-like spikes. As one might expect, the Scarlet Rollers are red, and a bright red at that, like a cardinal's feathers. The few that've been killed and dissected appear to have no organs; their interiors are made of a homogenous, spongy material that excretes slightly caustic fluid. When in motion, a Roller's limbs are indecipherable due to the speed of rotation; they appear to be a single red object.

Behavior: The Red Rollers, also known as Scarlet Wheels or Bladetangles, are extremely dangerous agents of Chaos that pops in and out of the mortal plane seemingly at random, inflicting pain and death on whoever's in reach. As they attack primarily by hurling themselves at foes amidst a whirling bramble of slashing limbs, only the heavily armored or supernaturally thick-skinned can ward off such aggressive rushes without substantial lacerations. They rarely try to grapple opponents, almost always preferring hit-and-run tactics, weaving and leaping.

They're also very fast, able to run down horses with ease. Across short distances, anyways- their arms (slash ropes slash vines) get tired of pulling them across the ground relatively quickly, being tentacles with no bone structure. Additionally, being creatures of Chaos, it's generally difficult for them to exist in the mortal plane for very long as they find it uncomfortable, so it's necessary for them to hop back and forth periodically. They show a deep reluctance to apparate near settlements, presumably because they fear death to some extent.

History: The Rollers have been around for some time, the majority of their number popping up during the events of the Titanomachy where they acted as berzerkers en-masse for the forces of Chaos. Dubbed the Blood Wave for their horde tactics, they were among the most feared of Chaos's lower-ranked beasts. Eventually, though, they were thrust out along with all their kin.

In recent years they've begun popping up again, albeit in small enough numbers that another tide of sharp edges isn't possible, to the relief of many; their numbers are insufficient and the forces of chaos aren't yet powerful enough to allow for a sustained incursion. However, more and more reports stream in of strange, red creatures matching the description of Rollers popping up and attacking caravans and small villages; already the death toll from these incursions is approaching a hundred or so, and that's just the ones that are reported.
Last edited by Blargleyarg on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
(╯°^°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:47 pm

Ceystile wrote:Hey OP, I know I still gotta finish Scatha's app but what do you think of Ariana (I may bring back Pip too, I really liked him)

Absolutely loved Ariana’s introduction! And Pip would make a great addition to the party. His demon slaying/witch hunting background would make a lot of sense in this world, be a great Paladin or Cleric. Or a sorcerer/warlock that hunts down others of his kind, and the beginning of the party, forcing him to cooperate with other magic users, would be some cool character development, like “oh, shit. These guys aren’t all that bad I guess”, or something along those lines.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:50 pm

Hinzland wrote:Interesting concept. Would it be strictly dwarves? How big of a regional powerhouse would they be? How interested in others political affairs are they?

I kind of view the Dwarves of this world as honorable Ferengi (if you’ve ever watched Star Trek). If you don’t know what ferengi are, then: the dwarves are an honorable, craftsmen people, less worried about the affairs of others and attempting to rebuild whatever strongholds and clans they have left to begin rebuilding their race. They’re avid merchants and traders as well, only selling the best of goods. Dwarven smithing and masonry is renowned as the best in the world. Although they’re excellent warriors, their society is less of a martial one and more of a “corporate” one. Well, as corporate as you can get in a medieval setting.

Strictly dwarves. Given how the empire is dying, there is a siege mentality among the dwarves as they are quick to anger when someone tries to take advantage of their fracturing realm. Even if a hold is lost to the darkness and unoccupied, the dwarves still believe it's their domain still. Hence why there is some bad blood against the elves and orcs when they try to claim the empty mines or fortresses.

As for the second question, since it's inspired by Constantinople, the city's influence and power come from its merchants and prestige. Although its army can't travel across the world, being the center of dwarf smithing and masonry makes it a center of trade. Any military expedition is more focused on reclaiming lost territories in its immediate vicinity rather than seeking out new conquests.

As for diplomacy, the capital is primarily concerned with reestablishing ties with the various dwarf clans that got isolated from the High King. Basically Bismarck diplomacy for an eventual dwarf reunification. Any political dealings with the other races is to help bring the High King closer to that goal.

Also, my app should be ready now
Last edited by Union Princes on Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hinzland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hinzland » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:05 am

Union Princes wrote:Name: Thrumlin (of Clan) Holdfast (of Stronghold) Valonmark
Race: Dwarf
Origins/Background: A veteran warrior that served faithfully to his clan and stronghold before being given a chance to be an adventurer
Class: Fighter
-Strength: 17 (+2)
-Charisma: 8
-Dexterity: 10 (-5)
-Intelligence: 9
-Wisdom: 9
Total Wounds: 5
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): 5
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): 2
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): 0
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): 20
Melee Weapons: A Gladius, steel aspis, two-handed hammer
Ranged Weapons: N/A
Firearms: N/A
Armor: Full Plate
I became a soldier to my clan once my beard has reached down my neck. In the army in which it marched east, I served for four years against the orcs; the fifth year I was honored for my bravery and received many recognitions for my clan. After the orcs retreat to their lands; when we were brought back to Valonmark and relieved for duty, I immediately volunteer under the banner of Lord Frosrun to recover a lost hold in the north. The commander considered me worthy to be assigned as an Ironbreaker, to be placed in the vanguard where the fighting is thickest. For the third time, I enlisted as a volunteer in an army that was set against an elf incursion trespassing a dwarf hold. By Lord Grilvem, I was made a standard-bearer for my unit of Ironbreakers. After the elves were humiliated, we marched back to the capital. Thrice after, I served in campaigns in the local region driving out the foreign hordes seeking to conquer Valonmark. Then I campaigned thrice more against the elves, orcs, and humans that sought to claim the various dwarf holds as their own. I was brought home by High King Dwunrar along whom he brought with him many others he wishes to honor in the Triumph for their bravery. My grandest moment was when my beard has grown long enough to reach my belly, establishing me as a Longbeard. 43 times I was rewarded for my loyalty and diligence by my commanders. Having served over a century and forty years, I was released once more and returned to my clan with full honors.

Quick edits for me. I use DnD modifiers for the vitals. So your strength is 17, which would be +3 to any strength related rolls, etc. I keep meaning to add it to the OP, but I keep putting it off in favor of writing out the other mechanics and lore so when this thing kicks off, we’ll be ready to rock and roll. I’ll go ahead and do those for you, if you could just copy and paste them so that when I need to do rolls for your char I can just run over to your app and do a quick looksie.

Strength 17 (+3)
Charisma 8 (-1)
Dexterity 10 (0)
Intelligence 9 (-1)
Wisdom 9 (-1)

Melee Attack (I’m guessing your going to use your strength, since your dex doesn’t offer any bonuses) +7
Ranged Attack +3 I think? I can’t remember the fighters ranged mod
Magic attack N/A
Evade 0
Armor Rating 20 Plate (While wearing plate armor, -5 to dexterity related rolls)

Age - The longest a dwarf would live in this world is about 150 years old. Please edit?

Valonmark - I’m guessing this is the Constantinople? Can you write out a brief description of it, which region it’s located in? I was thinking on the border of the West region and the Northwest region, making a nice little mountain range there.

Nagakawa
Diplomat

Postby Nagakawa » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:03 am

Alright, I've completed my apps. I'm not sure I'll be able to calculate the status correctly, so I think I shall leave it up to the OP randomiser.

Name
Zeke Cottonhand
Formerly known as Imzychnir Amducyy Thrasu-alamir
(eem-ZEEK-near ahm-doo-TSEE THRAW-soo awl-uh-MEAR)

Race
Elf (Iweleth)

Origins/Background
Former scion of an aristocratic Elvish clan who abandoned the luxury into which he was born, becoming a gentleman thief and a maker of mischief.

Class
Thief

Vitals
  • Strength: 9
  • Charisma: 11
  • Dexterity: 17
  • Intelligence: 8
  • Wisdom: 10

Total Wounds

Statistics
Total Wounds: 3
Strength (-1)
Charisma (0)
Dexterity (+3)
Intelligence (-1)
Wisdom (0)
Melee Attack: +4 (+9 If hidden)
Ranged Attack: +4 (+9 If hidden)
Magic Attack: N/A
Evade: +8
Armor Rating: None (+11 AR, +2 Dexterity Rolls)

Melee Weapons
Ranged Weapons
  • Crossbow x1
Firearms
  • Flintlock pistol x1
Armor
  • NIL
Spells Known
  • NIL
EARLY YEARS
The man who would later become the highly-renowned gentleman thief Zeke Cottonhand was born Imzychnir Amducyy Thrasu-alamir in the city of Ira, capital of the Kingdom of Iweleth. His father was Imzydron Amducyy Thrasu-alamir, head of the Thrasir branch of the Elvish House of Alamir and second cousin of King Imzyra Amducyy Alamir of Iweleth; his mother, Mila, was the second wife of Imzydron. He was the only son of Imzydron, and one of three children that Imzydron bore via his two wives and four concubines. At the time of his birth, Imzychnir was 17th in line to the throne of Iweleth, but within five years, fell to 52nd in line following the birth of several other cousins, a series of marriages that altered the rankings of the House of Alamir’s collateral families, and the demotion of his mother to the status of a concubine following a dispute that saw her family stripped of its nobility.

Throughout his childhood, Imzychnir suffered regular abuse at the hands of his father Imzydron, who vacillated between periods of affection and generosity, and periods of uncontrollable rage, during which everything in the house could become an instrument of discipline. Consequently, despite his material comfort, Imzychnir’s childhood was deeply unhappy, and while his father pressured his son with the hope of one day using him to elevate the rank of the Thrasu-alamir family, the boy himself had no desire for anything of the sort.

At the age of 15, after leaving a fake suicide note and pocketing a large amount of money from his father’s coffers, Imzychnir quietly fled his family’s mansion, promising to himself that he would one day return home to rescue his mother. He left the central city of Ira, stowing away in a merchant caravan heading out to the city’s outer circles where its farmlands were concentrated, before then jumping aboard another caravan and leaving Ira entirely and finally ending up in the western border village of Ozhbich, located barely within the reaches of the Kingdom of Iweleth’s political reach. Here, he rented a room for himself at a local inn, and also changed his name to hide his identity, dropping his noble surnames and shortening his name from Imzychnir to simply Zeke.

GENTLEMAN THIEF
Aware that the money he had taken with him was not infinite, Zeke began working a series of jobs in the village, serving variously as a kitchen hand, a barkeep, and even a mercenary (having purchased a pair of daggers and a crossbow in case of emergencies). However, his lavish spending habits saw him deplete his savings quickly, and by the time he was 18, Zeke knew that his money would not last much longer, and his salary would still be insufficient to fund the nobleman’s lifestyle he found difficult to give up.

With the little money he had left, Zeke returned to Ira, and by the time he arrived, was famished and broke. He began fluffing the pockets of the palace guards patrolling the inner city and the merchants who stood around cutting deals with each other. Having no qualms about stealing from the rich people who hung around the city - some of whom he recognised as men with whom his father had conversed in the past - Zeke began to sneak into the noble mansions in the innermost gated communities of the city, pocketing increasingly more valuable objects and selling them on the black markets for a fortune.

One day, word reached his ears that there was a gentleman thief at large in Ira, one known as ‘Cottonhand’ - because being pickpocketed by him felt subtler than a brush of a cotton ball - and only a month after first hearing the epithet did Zeke finally realise that it belonged to him.

DOUBLE AGENT AND FUGITIVE
Over time, Zeke Cottonhand would be approached by various parties to steal not material objects, but information. One of these clients who sought his services was Mareth Amducyy Talthamir, Patriarch of Iweleth and one of the highest-ranking leaders of Iskusi. He had secretly contacted Zeke via a messenger, and sought to hire him to breach the office of Ito no Naomasa, Special Envoy of Wado to the Kingdom of Iweleth, in order to obtain incriminating evidence that Ito was abetting the assassination of several leaders of Iskusi, including the Supreme Patriarch in Idunia. The intent, Zeke was told, was to break the uneasy peace between Wado and Ruottia, in order to justify an increase in the political powers of the Iskusi clergy.

Having once met Mareth in the past, Zeke was disinclined to accept the job offer, believing it to be against his principles to accept commissions from the ruling class he had abandoned, only to be then approached, independently, by an envoy from Ito no Naomasa, requesting that he infiltrate the office of Mareth Amducyy Talthamir to plant a document proving that Talthamir was colluding with the Orthodoxy to organise the arrests of various Iskusi leaders, so as to engineer his demise.

Zeke accepted both jobs.

He decided to infiltrate Mareth's office first, and meticulously planned out his entry into the Archbishop's home in the government district of Ira, only to be shocked by the presence of a large retinue of guards positioned at exactly the point he had thought to infiltrate. He was arrested and beaten to a pulp by the guards, and then thrown into the cellar of Mareth's mansion. The Archbishop himself did come down into the cellar to see him, but evidently did not recognise him as either Zeke Cottonhand or as Imzychnir Amducyy Thrasu-alamir, and as such, thinking him to be a common thief, told the guards to leave him in there to die of starvation.

By sheer luck, however, a fire would break out elsewhere in Mareth's home three days later, and in the chaos, Zeke was able to break out of his cell, making his escape through a window and promptly leaving the city and hitching a ride on a merchant caravan, the same way he had run away from home eight years ago. He travelled to the Kingdom of Qimranuth, first through a series of southern border villages, and then on to the capital of Nuathia, and then on foot up north and out of the Confederacy of Ruottia entirely.

Name
Suzume Yoichi
(soo-zoo-may yoh-itchy)

Formerly known as Yoichi

Race
Human (Azuma)

Origins/Background
A man of humble origins who became a sumo wrestler to earn a living, fighting tooth and nail and rising through the ranks to eventually become the No. 2 ranked wrestler. Now retired, he is concerned mainly with finding the right blend of tea for his wife.

Class
Berserker

Vitals
  • Strength: 16
  • Charisma: 8
  • Dexterity: 10
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Wisdom: 11

Total Wounds

Statistics
Total Wounds: 6
Strength: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 8 (-1)
Dexterity: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 10 (0)
Wisdom: 11 (0)
Melee Attack: +6 (+2 With every wound)
Ranged Attack: 0
Magic Attack: N/A
Evade: 0
Armor Rating: Light Armor (+10, +1 to Dexterity Rolls)

Melee Weapons
Ranged Weapons
  • NIL
Firearms
  • NIL
Armor
  • Light armor
Spells Known
  • NIL

EARLY YEARS
At the time of his birth, Suzume Yoichi was known simply as Yoichi. He had no surname, for he was born into a family of commoners, in the town of Sesshaku; the northernmost town in all of Wado, located at the tip of northern Karyu Island. His parents Teruki and Natsu were cabbage farmers.

Yoichi was the oldest of four brothers, the last of whom died in infancy. When Yoichi was 11, his father Teruki suffered a stroke, rendering him unable to use his left hand and, thus, unable to continue work. To make ends meet, Yoichi originally took up work as a dishwasher at a restaurant, but would find his fortunes dramatically changed when, at the age of 13, he was spotted by a sumo wrestler who had come from the capital city of Omi and who was watching as Yoichi played in a field with a few other town boys. Noticing that Yoichi possessed incredible agility and balance despite his scrawny frame, the wrestler approached him and offered to bring him back to Omi to train as a wrestler and compete in Grand Sumo, an offer that Yoichi, overworked and desperate for a way to earn some money for his struggling family, accepted instantly.

CLIMBING THE RANKS
The wrestler who had scouted Yoichi turned out to be none other than Shunrai II, the 27th Grand Champion, who had recently retired and was now on the lookout for new students. The year was 2203, and though he had been a highly respected champion during the years he was active, Shunrai II struggled to find new students, and at the time Yoichi arrived, there were only three other wrestlers under Shunrai II's tutelage.

Yoichi initially struggled to adapt to the brutal lifestyle of a trainee wrestler, finding it incredibly difficult to wake up before sunrise and train for four hours nonstop. His stomach could not handle eating bowl after bowl of food, and in the first few days, he would find himself vomiting because he was physically unable to hold the food down. He would lose the majority of his first few tournament bouts.

Nevertheless, he was the most diligent of Shunrai II's four students, always pushing himself to the absolute limit and not shirking a single training, and as his weight steadily increased, so too did his skill. By the time he was 19, in the year 2209, he stood as tall as a horse and weighed nearly half as much as one, and had reached the prestigious Juryo Division - the second highest division, and the point at which he first began earning a proper salary rather than a mere stipend. He would send the majority of his first few salaries back to his father and mother in Sesshaku, opting to stay in the communal stable as he had in his earlier days as a wrestler, so as to save money.

Upon reaching the second division, Yoichi took on a ring name: now, he was known as Suzume Yoichi, suzume meaning "sparrow" - a homage to his hometown, the name of which means "red sparrow".

JOY, TRAGEDY, AND FAMILY
Tragedy struck the next year, however; Shunrai II, by then already old and wobbly from arthritis, had died tragically after slipping on a frost-covered stairwell. Following the funeral, Shunrai II's school was closed, and his students, now numbering eleven, were forced to part ways. Suzume, along with junior wrestlers Naruo and Mitsuru, would move from the small Shunrai stable to the significantly larger Kakuta stable, run by former No. 2 ranked wrestler , and the home of 29th Grand Champion Kaminari. Now with 36 sparring partners instead of just 10, Suzume was able to hone his skills even more efficiently and quickly.

By the year 2211, the 26-year-old Suzume had risen to sekiwake, the third-highest rank in all of Grand Sumo, just below those of yokozuna - the grand champion - and ozeki - the No. 2 rank. In the same year, he became acquainted with Naho, a 23-year-old daughter of the prestigious Kanzaki Family of Wadoan liquor brewers, and with the blessing of Kanzaki Family patriarch Kanzaki no Hideaki, Suzume Yoichi and Naho began courting each other. They would eventually marry at the end of the next year 2212 - the same year that Suzume's strong performance saw him promoted to the rank of ozeki. He would continue to send back the vast majority of his salary and prize money to his hometown, keeping only a small amount for his personal use, and remained behind in his new master's stable even as his peers in the upper divisions were buying mansions of their own to start their families.

A SPECIAL REQUEST
A series of injuries would see Suzume unable to make the final jump to be promoted to the highest rank of yokozuna, and in 2214, at the age of 29, Suzume Yoichi called it a career, retiring before he could be demoted from the No. 2 rank. He was initially offered the license to open his own sumo wrestling school by the elders of Grand Sumo in Omi, but though he initially considered doing so, Suzume chose instead to return with his wife Naho to his hometown Sesshaku to be with the rest of his family.

Hence, after an illustrious 16-year career, Suzume returned home to Sesshaku with Naho, and to his surprise, enjoyed a hero's welcome upon his return, not just from his family, but from his entire hometown. The large amount of money he had sent back to his family over the course of his 11 years in the top division had been shared with the rest of the townsfolk, and the Sesshaku Town to which Suzume returned had dramatically changed from the one he had left sixteen years ago.

Though he now had enough money to live out the rest of his life comfortably without worrying about his family's financial situation, Suzume continued to experience an itch deep within him to do something. It was not in his nature to simply stay put and relax. His attempts with his wife to have a child, too, were unsuccessful, no matter what they tried.

In 2031, Naho fell ill with a serious illness, and found herself bedridden. The town's doctors and apothecaries threw their entire arsenal of remedies at her, but only one particular concoction seemed to improve her condition; it was a blend of tea which, after Naho had drank it, perked her up significantly, at least for a short while. The town's doctors informed Suzume that there was none left in Sesshaku's stock, however, and that if they were to be able to brew the blend again, Suzume would have to source the eight ingredients himself.

And that was precisely what Suzume set out to do.
Last edited by Nagakawa on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:11 am

I've got a bunch of lore I'm creating here, rolling into the creation of a character. Let me know what you think OP!
There's a Fallen God, a major formerly Dwarven fortress, an Orc subculture, and a character. The only thing I'm unsure of is where to locate this all.

Mooti, as the god prefers to be known, was undoubtedly a powerful god, and taught a number of mortals about psychological concepts beyond their own understanding, teaching a number of humans about grief, despair, and hope, elves about love and hate, and orcs about justice, revenge, and forgiveness. To the some of the dwarves, he taught charcoal making, which greatly benefitted early expansions in smithing. Although only teaching a few thousand of each of these mortal races, Mooti came to enjoy the gratitude of the mortals, and when they started making sacrifices, and offering worship, Mooti could not help but accept the worship, especially when, somehow, it found itself growing stronger. And so when the Titanomarchy came, Mooti considered a while, observing as the divine conflict began. Reluctant to sacrifice power already gained, but equally reluctant to miss out on power to be gained, Mooti finally succumbed and joined.

After the destruction of 'Paradiso' Mooti came down to the mortal plane, and wandered, occasionally going to teach mortals new things, casting itself in the appearance of an old male hermit, but many mortals offered no hospitality to the old man, or otherwise had already learnt and progressed so much. Through the old Empires, and through their collapse, Mooti knew of only one thing, personal power. He began to find various cults and sects which existed, and showed them true divine power, making himself the center of their beliefs, and gaining their power, before growing tired of them, and convincing his followers to sacrifice themselves, or otherwise abandoned them, if he hadn't slaughtered them himself.

But, around five hundred and fifty years ago, Mooti changed. There was only one way to gain true power. Chaos. And so he sought out demons and chaos whereever he could, and eventually travelled to the Chaos plane and offered his loyalty once again to the Laughing God. The Laughing God gave him great power which he could take to the mortal plane, but he had to find outlets within the decade or it would consume him. Mooti came to the great civil war of the Orc Hordes of Blood-chieftain Hazgamaruz's Sons. Orc often live in small nomadic bands, but often these bands may swell as Chieftains unite them with promises of honour and conquest, or as they gather to avenge attacks against their sibling clans. If so many bands are united, they might form a horde, taking on its own internal logic and consistency, and often requiring great violent outlets, which if not achieved, result in brutal conflicts known as 'Splinterings' which usually leave thousands, tens of thousands dead, and dozens or even hundreds of new clans scattered across the world. The great Elvish social historian Jelsaydeera argued that these could even be a form of deeply ingrained biological population control and gene-strengthening, arguing the theory of 'mass divine selection.'

Mooti gathered one of the largest factions to his cause, Targuk 'Bloodspiller' Ootred horde, and imbued great power in Targuk and his companions, leading them to unimagineable feats of conquest against their brethren. Upon slaughtering the primary rivals, his own brothers, cousins, and nepthews, Targuk led his horde to a new home. The great Dwarven fortress of 'Rakedermark' which had been reduced in the previous years to a weak power, and conquered it, losing many of his finest warriors in the process. Mooti had followed, and aided when it looked like Targuk would bleed his forces dry on the Citadel of Rakedermark, deep within the mountain. Mooti unleashed his Chaotic energy, binding the minds of the Dwarven leaders, and leading them into submission. When Targuk wished to avenge himself upon them, Mooti fought him in a great duel lasting 15 minutes, and upon taking his life, and the lives of several others who challenged Mooti to ownership of the horde, the remaining Orcs and Dwarves found themselves sworn to an old hermit with great magical powers.

Over the next years, Mooti kept his power to himself, until the day of the decade since swearing his loyalty to the Laughing God came. Chaos invaded the mortal plane to take back its power, with a great many demonic monstrosities attacking Rakedermark. Ultimately, the fortress held, and the monstrosities left to the portal from which they had come. Mooti pursued them, and fought to close the gate, and was in fact aided by other powers who had suffered from the effects of its opening. Pulled through in the final moments of its closing, Mooti was overwhelmed and taken to the Laughing God. The great slaughter and suffering had all been somehow amusing to the being, and the being's love of Chaos, and respect for Mooti's greed and lust for power led to another pact. Great power, for mortality. Mooti spent five years considering the deal, after the first three days he was blinded and deafened in order to have his sanity preserved from the impacts of the realm. He ultimately accepted, and returned to the mortal realm, returning to Rakedermark which had been weakened by conflict and pestilence. There he unveiled his true power as a god, and the beings there ultimately became completely loyal.

For nearly a century, Mooti dwelt within the deepest parts of the Citadel of Rakedermark, which had come to be known by the Orcish name of 'Nasgrush Zedrugh.' There he had slowly fallen into the attitudes of his first lessons. He fell into grief and despair, he grew bitter at the thought of love and forgiveness, grew cynical of justice, and grew in hate. He was driven to near insanity by his own mortality. That was when he finally discovered the true meaning of his powers. To expand his own life, which he knew at only a few hundred years, he could take the sheer willpower, the mental energies, even the souls of mortals. And so the sacrifices began. The bloodshed began. Through sacrifices Mooti has expanded his life, and has ultimately come to the conclusion that there is only one way to regain immortality, whilst retaining such great power:

To make amends with THE ONE.

Rakedermark was once like any other Dwarven fortress which was enjoying prosperity. It was a center of trade, home to vast mines and smelting operations, vaults filled with gold and the finest of crafting goods. Its halls were engraved with the names of heroes, with tales of Dwarven valor. But no good thing lasts forever.

First the great pestilence began almost six hundred years ago. It came in waves lasting a year at a time, every few years, and caused the deaths of a great many. Many fled the fortress. Others were driven insane, to bed, or to selfishness with grief. Trade rapidly dwindled. And when it seemed that the pestilence had passed, then came the orcs. The blood-chieftain Hazgamaruz led two seperate sieges against Rakedermark, and three seasons of campaigns in the hinterland within a hundred leagues, engaging in great raids against those who would otherwise trade with the Dwarven hold. Ultimately Hazgamaruz's attacks were repelled, but a great many Dwarves had been killed. News soon came to Hazgamaruz, defeated twice by the Dwarves had lost his popularity, and was soon slaughtered in a great brawl on the election of a new Blood-chieftain, inevitably leading to civil war.

During that war, that splintering, which took multiple seasons, the Dwarves faced a new enemy. An elvish incursion, led by a Prince seeking the most precious of treasures, one of the world's largest diamonds, to win the love of his intended. Although repelled with more than a bloody nose, again the elves had caused great casualties. When a human force of three thousand came, the Dwarves prepared once more for battle. But these humans had come to help, and after arranging a treaty, the force came as mercenaries. The Dwarves had sent out requests to other holds for assistance, but it was the humans who had come. But they were betrayed. Seeing the unforetold wealth of Rakedermark, the humans plotted. On a stormy day five hundred and fifty one years ago, the humans put their plans into action, poisoning a great many Dwarves at a banquet, blocking others in their own mines to suffocate, and killing others in brutal fighting. Ultimately repelled, the Dwarves were at their weakest, when news came that the Splintering of Hazgamaruz's sons had ended. Once more, they sent out calls for desperate assistance. Other Dwarven holds sought to profit from the fall of a rival trade centre, a fall of fifty years that had followed three hundred of ascension. But some did come. A few thousand did come, the last companies arriving a mere week before the horde of Targuz.

The siege was brutal. Thousands of Dwarves fell when the walls of Rakedermark were finally breached. They retreated to the Citadel, fighting their way back through many underground areas. The Citadel held against three assaults, each leaving over a thousand Orc dead. Then HE came. The dark one. The man in black. The man with the white beard, the golden eyes, and the bloody hands. He bound the Dwarven leaders with the darkest of magics. They surrendered the citadel. Many Dwarves killed themselves and one another, or deliberately charged the Orcs rather than surrender, betraying their ideals. But others obeyed their captured leaders instead. Targuz wanted to kill them all, he had lost as many warriors as he had in the Splintering. They had put up a fine fight, but now had to die. But instead he, and his most loyal followers were killed by HIM. The dark one. The man in black. The man with the white beard, the golden eyes, and the bloody hands. The Orcs swore loyalty to HIM. They were made to respect the Dwarves, who were to reopen the mines.

Rakedermark began to transform, becoming a centre of migration for Orcs, and again trade slowly began to return, but with almost none from the other Dwarves. Then forces of Chaos came a few years later, and again Rakedermark was besieged. It took the joint forces of Man, Dwarf, and Orc to repel them, and they pursued it to its portal. The slaughter was intense, but closing the portal, the portal claimed HIM. Rakedermark suffered. Internal disputes, conflict, fighting between Dwarf and Orc. Only the strong hand of the 'Three and Five,' three Dwarves, and five Orcs, eventually kept the hold together. Eventually HE returned. With greater power than ever, but also... seemingly... aged. He revealed himself a god, but then secluded himself away. Seeing few people for a century the Three and Five ruled Rakedermark, which came to be known as 'Nasgrush Zedrugh.' A century later, and many who had seen the return of HIM, now a god, were gone. He revealed himself once more, and showed his divine power, and soon they came to worship him. Dwarves in subservience and loyalty, Orcs in admiration and zealotry. There were sacrifices and rituals, and He seemed to grow younger. Humans called him Mooti, Dwarves called him Margad, Orcs called him Mooshti, or Moot.

Nasgrush Zedrugh became the home of the god Mooti. It became the home, of the Mor'gamoot.

What then is known of the Mor'gamoot, except that they first began to show up in written records some four hundred years ago? Many things in fact. Mostly a great collection of Orcs spread throughout the lands, who follow their god Mooshti, or Moot, a fallen god no doubt. They are centered in Nasgrush Zedrugh, which five to six hundred years ago was known as Rakedermark. It is no doubt a strong Dwarven fortress, nothing truly on the level of Valonmark, but prominent nonetheless. They have come to take a four other Dwarven holds: two were abandoned, one was surrendered, one was conquered.

The Mor'gamoot of course then are centered in this land of mountains and drylands, relying on great underwater rivers for fishing and water, and on the hunting of the great variety of wildlife that dwells in the area. They rely to on food imported from other places, traded for minerals, for metals, for forged products and artisan goods, made by both Dwarf and Orc. It appears that the Dwarves still run their fortresses, but rarely are they seen by outsiders. The Orcs live in sprawling camps, often migrating, in their homelands, living in the hinterland of the 'Five Holds of the Fallen God'- 'Blek Teri r dur Perch Gad' in Orcish.

But whilst the area dominated by the Five Holds is ruled over from those holds, and from the capital of Nasgrush Zedrugh, 'Blek Teri r dur Perch Gad', or the Orcish Kingdom of Nasgrush, the clans from these lands, the followers of the Fallen God, known as the Morgamoosh, go far beyond these lands. Reverting back to the traditional living styles of the Orcs, Morgamoosh orcs travel far and wide in small groups and clans, ranging from single families to significant nomadic villages even numbering as great as several hundred. Looking like many other orcs, with pale skins, with skins the colour of ash, or of browns of greens, they are often remarkable for their wearing of furs or other animal trophies, and for their many scars, brands, tattoos, or face paints, which come as a result of various religious rituals and cultural traditions. Face paints are often of red, white, and black, in various patterns. Whilst the colour of tattoos varies, often dependent on the skin colour of a given Orc, the patterns often depict the skulls of various animals, or swirling geometric patterns.

Morgamoosh Orcs face a diverse variety of reactions, including the traditional orc phobias of many, religious sentiments of anger, or begruding respect for their prowess. Although what is known of the Morgamoosh is mixed with lies, myths, legends, slander, and praise, a few things can be pieced together. It would appear that the Morgamoosh worship a very real Fallen God, and are often desperate for HIM as they refer to it, to notice them. This god is secluded away deep in Nasgrush, but occasionally bestows favour and power upon those who suitably impress HIM. According to rumour, he is in fact a mortal god, though why this is, or what this means, is still widely questioned. Nonetheless, occasionally, by which it is meant, rarely, he grants some of his power and long lifespan, to others, to his own champions, but these are very rare. A Morgamoosh Orc though, well chances are they are desperate to be a champion of HIM.

It would appear that this Fallen God though is repentant of rebellion against the One, and wishes to come into forgiveness with Him.
As such, there is no unified reaction from the Church of the One. Often, racial or political sentiments, or abhorrence at some of the cultural traditions of the Morgamoosh play a role as much as any theological perspective. They are not non-believers, and ultimately view their own god as created by the One, but they do not necessarily directly worship the One, even if they revere him. Equally, by way of proving himself to The One, it would appear that the Fallen God of the Morgamoosh desires to protect mortals from Eldritch and Chaotic beings. Although not paladins, many Morgamoosh will spend their time hunting monsters, dangerous wild animals, and fighting Eldritch, Chaotic, and Demonic beings, or otherwise attacking the lovers, summoners, and worshippers of those things. So the Morgamoosh are not religious enemies of The Church of the One, and face mixed reactions.

The Morgamoosh seek to prove themselves to their Fallen God, who in turn seeks to prove himself to The One. Sacrifices of themselves or others to the Fallen God appear to strengthen him and earn favour, as does assisting the Fallen God attain forgiveness, and apparently immortality again from The One. To think that there is theological agreement about whether this is actually going to work is as absurd as attempting to write a treatise on whether the Morgamoosh are morally good or not.

In some ways the Morgamoosh are like other Orcs, with strong traditions of favouring the group about the self, being fine artisans, living as nomads, and having strong beliefs in honour and the settling of grievances. Equally their traditions are much harsher, often involving ritualistic bloodletting, scarring, or branding, sacrificing their own lives, blood, or happiness to strengthen their god, who can thus fight against the enemies of The One, and the enemies of the Mortals, The One's perceived favorites creations.

Orcs of Morgamoosh can often be found travelling as part of their nomadic clans, setting up temporary camps, or living outside of major cities. One might even find them living alone living a seemingly normal life inside any multi-cultural city. Nomadic groups are often hired as mercenaries, caravan guards, bounty-hunters, protective militias, or as hunters and trackers. They may be encouraged to settle and apply their trades of craftsmanship in exchange for gold. Some engage in their own craftsmanship and trading, buying low, selling high, always moving. Others engage in practices of raiding and captive taking, to earn the approval of their God. They face diverse reactions because of this diverse array of practices.

A complex group no doubt. A complex variety of reactions to them also. Perhaps the only way to get to know the Morgamoosh as a collective... is to get to know an Orc of Morgamoosh.

OOC Comment: I'll keep all of the stats from class and race etc displayed next to the relevant category, but include those numbers on top of my Vitals numbers to show where I've got them from. I might need a tad of guidance regarding the modifiers as I don't know if I'm correct, please!

Name: Gundrak 'Grief-giver' of the Brettat Clan.
Race: Orc (+2 Wounds, +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity, Speaks Common + Orcish)
Origins/Background: An Orc of Morgamoosh, Gundrak travelled with the hundred-strong Brettat clan for much of his life, before leaving the clan in search of his own personal glory, after his brother slew the former Chieftain and began to lead them unwisely- yet Gundrak could not take the life of his brother who he loved dearly, and yet who would not take his advice.
Class: Berserker +5 Wounds, +3 Melee Attack (+2 for each Wound Received)
Light Armor, 2 Handed Melee Weapons
-Strength: 20 (+5)
-Charisma: 9 (-1)
-Dexterity: 15 (+2)
-Intelligence: 7 (-2)
-Wisdom: 7 (-2)
-Total Wounds: 7
Statistics
-Melee Attack (Choose Strength/Dexterity+Class): +8 (3 from Class, Five from Strength?)
-Ranged Attack (Dexterity+Class): +2
-Evade (Dexterity+Class): +2
-Armor Rating (Dexterity+Type): 12
Melee Weapons: Great Axe, Dagger.
Ranged Weapons: Javelin (x2)
Armor: Light Studded Leather+Fur Armour.
Spells Known: None.

"Brother. You cannot lead our Clan like this. I know you had disagreements with our former Cheiftain, but you'll lead the Brettat to ruin if you lead us as raiders in this part of the Borderlands. We're better off as traders and mercenaries for the Freebooters."
"Gundrak we've had this argument before. We won't gain any glory among the other clans, and we won't gain ANY recognition by the Fallen God. I'm not going to argue with you about this again. I... I am the Chieftain, not you."
"Brother. You know that you are only the Chieftain with my support. Without me by your side another would duel you. I beseech you to not follow this path."
"You insult me, Gundrak. Do you accuse me of not being able to defend myself against any other among the Brettat? Sezdrak? Cruthraz?"
"Especially against them."
"I will only forgive you for the love I hold for you, but my mind is set."
"Then I shall accept your forgiveness, but I cannot stand by and support you."
"Then you had best leave us all."
"So that's it then. Thirty years of brotherhood?"
"You'll have only yourself to blame. You go and gain your glory by yourself, the Brettat will gain their glory under me. Good luck Gundrak, you upset me but you have to do what you think is right."
"Good luck Chieftain, I can only hope I'm wrong. I won't ever see you again."
"Come here, little brother. I will always love you and cherish your memory. Let the fact that we do not kill one another as a way of parting comfort you. I respect you, I love you. And I hate you for abandoning me."
"I love and hate you too, brother, I love and hate you too."

For two years I've been apart from my clan, who I've spent most of my life with. I do not know what has befallen them, but I miss them more than anyone can understand. I grieve for them, I feel guilt at myself, yet I knew I could neither stay and see myself destroyed, nor could I bring myself to slay my brother and lead the clan myself. Damned either way. Now, the only thing I control is myself. Alone, it will be harder to survive earning the approval of HIM. But the glory will be mine alone. I've been a mercenary for some time, but now, I am three months into my journey into the Barrens, seeking out worthy opponents to hone my fighting skill, and to earn approval.
Last edited by Ovstylap on Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse