NATION

PASSWORD

Blade and Musket: 19th Century RP (OOC) (Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mifan
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mifan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Madmunch wrote:
Ovstylap wrote:
I found that it read fantastically, a very well done to you. I'll look forward to RPing with you whether this week or next, hopefully my reserve application for Bavaria is satisfactory! (A few posts up from this).

I expect that emancipation for the Catholics will go down well with a number of the European powers, especially with Spain and Austria, and also with the Irish subjects of the Crown.

Looking forward to RPing with u as well :blush:

I almost forgot a united Germany doesn't exist yet during this time period. So this will definitely be interesting. All we need now is for someone to app for Austria or maybe even a Holy Roman Empire trying to revitalise itself.

Going to be interesting when there's no Napoleon. Outside of the fact that he invented the Corp System that militaries now use, his conquests did play a part for the rise nationalism and the creation of both Germany and Italy.

Would love to see how long an HRE would last in this timeline.
Uh, they're called green hearts.

You racist.

Madmunch
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Madmunch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Mifan wrote:
Madmunch wrote:
Looking forward to RPing with u as well :blush:

I almost forgot a united Germany doesn't exist yet during this time period. So this will definitely be interesting. All we need now is for someone to app for Austria or maybe even a Holy Roman Empire trying to revitalise itself.

Going to be interesting when there's no Napoleon. Outside of the fact that he invented the Corp System that militaries now use, his conquests did play a part for the rise nationalism and the creation of both Germany and Italy.

Would love to see how long an HRE would last in this timeline.

I believe there is a Napoleon. Though he is working for the Piedmont-Italian side rather than France. I think that is another interesting and curious take. Would a Napoleonic Italy emerge stronger than a Napoleonic France in the coming future?

Heehee, honestly can't wait to see how all this start to unfold.
Last edited by Madmunch on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Money makes the world go round"

Yes, I am a worshipper of Mammon....don't judge me

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Tysoania wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:Spain has control of the Philippines.

It's even in my app: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/SpanishEmpire1790.svg

I think the OP just missed it the first time around, so OP, please fix on the map!

hehe,thats 3 claimants now! Looks like the Phillipines are shaping up to be a major flashpoint in the east!!!

Rhim Flavezztowland
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhim Flavezztowland » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Rhim Flavezztowland wrote:Reservation

NS Name: Rhim Flavezztowland
Nation Name: Edo Empire
Territory: See the map here (for some clarification, the territory selected in this map is Japan, southern Sakhalin, southern Kamchatka, the Kuril Islands, the Philippines of the present day, upper Siam, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar excluding Tenasserim, Bangladesh east of the Meghna, Padhma, and Brahmaputra rivers, Bhutan, and India east of Sikkim).

Any further info: This is an alt-history empire led by the Tokugawa shogunate that I made up while thinking of this alt-history scenario: "What if the Tokugawa shogunate controlled any land beyond Japan while it lasted?"
Do you acknowledge and understand the rules: Yes

BladeAndMusket (do not remove)

Hi, just noting fyi that my territorial claims include having influence in Champa (ie southern Vietnam to Ngang pass and west to Kampong Cham and the Mekong river delta in Cambodia) and the Sulu Islands and Palawan (Phillipines),

I suppose we could both have influence and thus contested claims on those areas ; :eyebrow: )

Oh, okay :lol: (I plan to submit an official national application later this week - will I end up doing it today? :eyebrow: - BTW)
Last edited by Rhim Flavezztowland on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madmunch
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Madmunch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Oh yeah just a heads up. There is no war between Spain and the UK ya, even though RL states otherwise. Established this fact not too long ago with @Tyosania

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Madmunch wrote:Oh yeah just a heads up. There is no war between Spain and the UK ya, even though RL states otherwise. Established this fact not too long ago with @Tyosania

How did you avoid that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1796%E2%80%931808)
Last edited by American Pere Housh on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Madmunch
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Madmunch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:34 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
Madmunch wrote:Oh yeah just a heads up. There is no war between Spain and the UK ya, even though RL states otherwise. Established this fact not too long ago with @Tyosania

How did you avoid that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1796%E2%80%931808)

Tysoania wrote:
Madmunch wrote:
I'm fine with anything tbh. I purposely left any mention of that out cuz I wasn't sure of Spain's side. But if it's peace u want you won't fine me complaining :p

Since Napoleonic France is not a nation at the moment, I guess there's no reason for Spain to declare war to help France, so peace is good.

^

Also. No confirmation that any of the Coalition Wars happened. As far as this timeline is concerned, doesn't look like it did as there has been no mention of one.

Hanovereich wrote:
Madmunch wrote:
Ah okays. So should I just go in IC with the assumption that none of the Coalition Wars happened ya? Sorry, just want to make sure of my facts before I post.

Yes, that's what I would do.
Last edited by Madmunch on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danubian Peoples
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Danubian Peoples » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:41 pm

And I made my first post in the IC thread. Apologies if it's not up to speed, I'm quite rusty. Also, can we just assume for sake of dating simplicity that the Rus moved to the Gregorian Calendar during the revolutionary war or something? That's what I did in picking the dates for this post. Either that, or dates mentioned by characters and shown in the headers are not actually the dates they're using in-universe, it's just a Doylist change made for clarity.
Last edited by Danubian Peoples on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats are not used.
This nation does not reflect my IRL views on anything.
Sorry for any mistakes I make with regards to history while roleplaying in historical RPs. Also I am not a qualified historian or academic. None of the make-believe I do is likely to stand up to academic scrutiny.

Valdez Islands is my puppet.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:26 am

Tysoania wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:Spain has control of the Philippines.

It's even in my app: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/SpanishEmpire1790.svg

I think the OP just missed it the first time around, so OP, please fix on the map!

I'll do it as soon as I can.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:29 am

Danubian Peoples wrote:And I made my first post in the IC thread. Apologies if it's not up to speed, I'm quite rusty. Also, can we just assume for sake of dating simplicity that the Rus moved to the Gregorian Calendar during the revolutionary war or something? That's what I did in picking the dates for this post. Either that, or dates mentioned by characters and shown in the headers are not actually the dates they're using in-universe, it's just a Doylist change made for clarity.

In the same way that we all use English in the IC, yes, we'll all use the Gregorian calendar.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 am

I'm so happy that there is a high level of motivation and a combination of veterans of P2TM and also people who are passionate even if not very experienced yet! Great to see an Austria enter the playing field. These are just some possible countries I'm thinking from the top of my head

Good possible European powers to come:
Prussia and France to both fully apply,
The Netherlands (is it the Batavian Republic? We shall see)
Portugal
Hesse-Darmstadt
Saxony
Papal States
Naples/Two Sicilies
Some country in modern-day Poland perhaps?

Other world powers which could be good:
Persia
Some independent nations in India (idk about the history there too much)
Further nations in Russia

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:37 am

Reservation

NS Name: Tracian Empire
Nation Name: The Habsburg Monarchy/Habsburg Empire/Danubian Monarchy, also known mononymously as Austria.
Territory:All the territories under the the control of the Habsburgs in 1790 and which haven't been claimed yet, so Austria and other Hereditary Lands, the Kingdom of Hungary, what is left of Croatia, Slovenia, what's left of Slavonia, what's left of the Banat, Transylvania, Austrian Netherlands, Milan and Mantua, what's left of Galicia, and added to that, the entire peninsula of Istria and the city of Krakow.

Any further info: N/A

I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Reservation

Nation Name: The Habsburg Monarchy/Habsburg Empire/Danubian Monarchy, also known mononymously as Austria.
Territory:All the territories under the the control of the Habsburgs in 1790 and which haven't been claimed yet, so Austria and other Hereditary Lands, the Kingdom of Hungary, what is left of Croatia, Slovenia, what's left of Slavonia, what's left of the Banat, Transylvania, Austrian Netherlands, Milan and Mantua, what's left of Galicia, and added to that, the entire peninsula of Istria and the city of Krakow.

Noted.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 am

Ovstylap wrote:I'm tagging this, and am absolutely so excited. I've been wanting to be in an RP like this for a long time since the loss of the Napoleonic Wars RP. I'm going to work on a reservation for the Kingdom of Bavaria, and should be available to hop into the IC either prior to this Friday, or next Sunday evening!
Nice to see some familiar faces as well!

Edit: Here I have my reservation for the Kingdom of Bavaria, though I have written it as a full-scale application. I've done this as I may be entering into the RP either this week or next.

Nation Application

NS Name: Ovstylap
Nation Name: The Electorate of Bavaria
Government (Name leader, political system, etc): The Electorate of Bavaria is a prominent constituent part of the Holy Roman Emperor, ruled over by Prince-Elector Maximilian IV Joseph (May 27, 1756-), who rules as a king in all but name, though not without the advice of his council.

Territory: Bavaria (including Ansbach and Bayreuth), Julich, Berg, Nassau, and the Palatinate. i.e Bavaria, Ansbach, Bayreuth, GHZM-Berg, and Nassau on Map One, and the Palatinate on Map 2.
Map One: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... al_map.png
Map Two: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/ee/ed/cdee ... acf707.jpg

Population: 3.6 million

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc): The Electorate of Bavaria can call upon some 40,000 soldiers, including 30,000 from Bavaria, 5000 from Berg, and the remnants from Nassau and the Palatinate.

History: This first line could be changed. Primarily follows OTL up to 1792 due to the absence of the war of the First Coalition as currently established in the lore.

Charles Theodore, Count Palatinate and Duke of both Julich and Berg from 1742 becomes Elector of Bavaria following the death of Maximilian III Joseph in 1777. However, he suffered a debilitating stroke in 1793, and Bavaria was subsequently ruled by a regent council of leading nobles. Amongst them, is Maximilian Joseph, brother of Charles II, duke of Zweibrücken. Maximilian, who had previously been a colonel of the Royal-Deux Ponts regiment under the French Ancien Régime.
With a strong sympathy for pre-Revolutionary France, and for Enlightenment ideals, Maximilian found the Bavarian Army to be in disarray, with many units under-strength, and under-trained. He encouraged a number of gradual reforms as a military advisor on the Regency Council, though temporarily withdrew following the death of his brother, and his subsequent assumption of the Duchy of Zweibrücken in April 1795.

During this time of absence, Frederik William of Nassau played a role in assisting the Regency Council of Bavaria with a major loan to support the declining economy, following the loss of French markets due to the revolution, however economic turbulence caused him to recall the loans ahead of schedule. The Regency Council was determining a cause of action, when the now bed-ridden Elector Charles Theodore passed away. As the last living member of the Palatinate-Sulzbach line, Count Theodore's passing opened up a route for Maximilien to become elected, with the decisive promise of settling the dispute with Nassau.

It was January 10th, 1796, when Maximilian Joseph became Prince-Elector Maximilian IV Joseph, Elector of Bavaria, and Duke of Julich and Berg. Receiving permission from Austria, who sought to keep Bavaria onside as a counter-weight to a rising Prussia, Maximilian declared war on Nassau on 1st March, demanding a cancellation of the debt recall and invaded on the 4th March when the ultimatum was refused. Frederick William pleaded for help from Prussia, which did not come, as Prussia did not wish to alienate both Bavaria and Austria. A skirmish was fought west of Frankfurt on 10th March, leading to a few hundred casualties, fairly evenly distributed. At midday however, officers of the Nassau forces called a retreat, refusing to commit their men to an unwinnable war. Faced with the threat of a coup, or removal by the new Prince-Elector of Bavaria, Frederick William agreed a peace whereby Nassau would join the Electorate of Bavaria as an autonomous duchy. To this day he rules with some independence, though is in a position of some disgrace, as many felt betrayed by his willingness to wage war with the much superior power of Bavaria.

With the Treaty of Frankfurt on 15th March 1796, Prince-Elector Maximilian IV Joseph returned home triumphant. Even during the minor campaign against Nassau however, issues with logistics, mobility, and fighting-information had been seen, and the Prince-Elector personally oversaw further military reforms. During his reign, which now approaches four years, Prince-Elector Maximilian IV Joseph has consolidated his standing with the city Burghers through rational reforms and encouragement of trade. The ministries have been reorganized, greatly influenced by former private secretary Count Max Josef von Montgelas whose enlightenment ideals complement those of the Elector. Agriculture and local commerce have been fostered, a new criminal code drawn up, and taxes, especially custom taxes have been equalized without regard to former traditional privileges. Though some minor nobles have felt alarmed by the rate of modernization in the country, their appointment to supervisory roles and to other places within the administration has placated many.

Overall then, it would seem that Bavaria is focused on its internal stability, developing its military and economy, yet all is not as stable as it seems. The territories of Prince-Elector Maximilian IV are somewhat dispersed, Nassau is barely integrated, the army is short of cavalry, and the lack of a French export market continues to diminish the effectiveness of economic developments. Although investment has been made in the iron mines of Bavaria, as well as the lumber industry, Bavaria ideally needs a proper trade agreement with a major nation, and in addition, many investments have been secured due to loans from Saxony and Hesse. These must either be repayed, or a way must be found to cancel them.

Finally, whilst it is clear that France appears to be growing in stability, and is thus a threat to Bavarian lands such as Julich, Berg, and the Palatinate, both Prussia and Austria would be willing to expand their influence in Germany, and it appears that if either could win Bavaria, through any means, their vision for the future of the Holy Roman Empire can be achieved.

Any further info:

BladeAndMusket (Do not remove)

Trying to figure out how to put this on the map.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:06 am

Wait, so is Bavaria also claiming Tyrol and Voralberg?
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:14 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Wait, so is Bavaria also claiming Tyrol and Voralberg?

I believe so, you'd better ask Ovstylap
Last edited by Hanovereich on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:20 am

Hanovereich wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Wait, so is Bavaria also claiming Tyrol and Voralberg?

I believe so, you'd better ask Ovstylap

it depends on how the map is interpreted, yeah, so I'll wait for him to say whether it is the case or not.

His history makes no mention of it however, and if it is the case it should be a divergence, because Tyrol was bequeathed to the Habsburgs in the 14th century, and Voralberg was gained in the 15th century.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 am

Nation Application

Nation Name:
  • The Habsburg Empire/German: Habsburgerreich/Latin: Imperium Habsburgensis
  • The Habsburg Monarchy/German: Die Habsburgermonarchie/Latin: Habsburgensis Monarchia
  • Habsburg/Austrian Hereditary Lands/German: Habsburgische/Österreichische Erblande
  • The Austrian Monarchy/German: Die Österreichische Monarchie
  • The Danube Monarchy/German: Die Donaumonarchie/Latin: Danuvium Monarchia
Government (Name leader, political system, etc): The Habsburg Empire is essentially a composite, absolute, hereditary monarchy under the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. The monarch, with his main title of Archduke of Austria and King in Germany, who also rules as Holy Roman Emperor, rules as the monarch of the various other crowns and territories inherited by the dynasty throughout the ages. Administratively, the situation is somewhat of a mess. In theory, each of these territories has its own internal administration, with varying degrees of autonomy, delegating matters of military and foreign affairs to Vienna. In practice however, the situation is different in each state. The Archduchy of Austria has no local government and instead is controlled fully by the Imperial Government in Vienna, while the Kingdom of Bohemia and the Kingdom of Illyria have local governments that are fully subordinated. Places like Transylvania go a step further and are directly led by Governors appointed by the Emperor himself. The Kingdom of Hungary however is an example of the opposite, as the 1790 Constitution declared it a "Regnum Independens", an independent realm in all but name. Because of that, Hungary is has a much stronger internal autonomy, being led by its own Royal Diet, and by a Palatine who is elected by the Diet and just confirmed by the Emperor.

Centrally, the monarch, currently, Francis II of Habsburg-Lorraine, has an unlimited and absolute power through his divine right to rule. His position is as such unchallenged. The Emperor has all the executive and legislative power in the country, with Imperial Orders, Decrees, and Laws serving as the basis of rule. Judicial power is delegated to local and regional courts and to the higher institution known as the Highest Judicial Office (German: Oberste Justizstelle), which was founded by Maria Theresa in 1749, and which has jurisdiction over all the crown lands of the Habsburgs directly under his power and authority.

Territory: The administrative units of the empire are known as Crownlands (Kronländer) or as Constituent Lands (Konstituierende Länder), and are divided as follows:
  • Archduchy of Austria (''Erzherzogtum Österreich''):
  • Duchy of Salzburg (''Herzogtum Salzburg'')
  • Duchy of Styria (''Herzogtum Steiermark'')
  • Princely County of Tyrol with Vorarlberg (''Gefürstete Grafschaft Tirol mit dem Lande Vorarlberg")
  • Kingdom of Illyria (''Königreich Illyrien'')
  • Duchy of Carinthia (''Herzogtum Kärnten'')
  • Duchy of Carniola (''Herzogtum Krain'')
  • Princely County of Gorizia and Gradisca (''Gefürstete Grafschaft Görz und Gradisca'')
  • Imperial Free City of Trieste (''Reichsunmittelbare Stadt Triest und ihr Gebiet')
  • Imperial Free City of Krakow (''Reichsunmittelbare Stadt Krakau und ihr Gebiet')
  • Margravate of Istria (''Markgrafschaft Istrien'')
  • Kingdom of Bohemia(''Königreich Böhmen'')
  • Margraviate of Moravia ('Markgrafschaft Mähren'')
  • Duchy of Silesia (''Herzogtum Schlesien'')
  • Kingdom of Galicia (''Königreich Galizien'')
  • Kingdom of Hungary (''Königreich Ungarn'')
  • Grand Principality of Transylvania (''Großfürstentum Siebenbürgen'')
  • Voivodeship of Serbia and Banat of Temeschwar (''Woiwodschaft Serbien und Temescher Banat'')
  • Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia (''Dreieinige Königreich Kroatien, Slawonien und Dalmatien'')
  • Duchy of Milan ("Herzogtum Mailand")
  • Austrian Netherlands (''Österreichische Niederlande'')
  • Croatian Military Frontier (''Kroatische Militärgrenze'')
  • Slavonian Military Frontier (''Slawonische Militärgrenze'')
  • Banat Military Frontier (''Banater Militärgrenze'')
  • Transylvanian Military Frontier (''Siebenbürger Militärgrenze'')

Population: A rough estimate of 24,616,000

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc): The Imperial-Royal Army (German: Kaiserlich-königliche Armee), commonly abbreviated to "K.K. Armee", is the name most often used to describe the variety of armies and units that fight under the orders of the Habsburgs, from throughout their domains. The peace-time, standing army under the direct command of Archduke Charles is of around 100,000 men, mostly formed by German units. In times of war, the size of the army can be increased through the recruitment of conscripts to a size of 57 line regiments, including two grenadier companies each, 17 Grenzer light infantry regiments, three garrison regiments and the Stabs Infanterie Regiment in Vienna.

Due to the large, multiethnic pool of people form which the Habsburgs recruit their soldiers, regiments receive different designations based on their origin. German (Deutsch) applies to most of the Imperial-Royal units, from Austrians from the hereditary lands, to Czechs from Bohemia, Poles from Galicia and even Walloons from the Austrian Netherlands. Hungarian (Ungarisch) regiments are the ones recruited from the territories of Hungary, Transylvania, Croatia, Bucovina and the military regions.

The quality of the military varies a lot between individual regiments. The use of conscription and of different methods of training throughout the Habsburg lands means that quality can even vary wildly between the individual units of a regiment, which is further complicated by issues of communication. The language of command is German, and as such, the currently applied system is that of "Army German" (Armeedeutsch), which is a system of basic orders in German that the soldiers must learn to understand and to respond to. There have however been proposals for the creation of Army Slavic, a series of orders in Slavic that the officers would learn in order to further increase communication, but this proposal has not yet been implemented or even seriously considered, and this means that more complicated orders can often lead to issues. The quality of the equipment has also been greatly affected by the lack of a well developed military budget prior to 1790, but the threat of revolutions has slowly led to an increase in military expenditures. Regiments are slowly rearmed with the modern M1798 Musket, and equipped with a new 1798-pattern uniform, even if this has been progressing slowly, so some units are armed with an assortment of older weapons and equipped with older uniforms. Specialist units are armed with the Girardoni air rifle.

Each regiment has its specific zone of recruitment. The issue comes in the non-German areas of the Empire, where the well-organized system is replaced. Hungary manages its own recruitment, organized by the Royal Diet, and while the Hungarians are supposed to recruit a specific quota of people, they do not always to meet it. A system of conscription exists in the non-German areas under direct imperial control too, but recruitment from those areas is somewhat hesitant, and the general practice is for soldiers that belong in an ethnic community to be sent in a different area of the empire and mixed with German regiments so as to better ensure their loyalty.

The Common Army is supplemented by a group informally known as the Imperial Guard (German: die Kaiserliche Garde), formed by 5000 men of the various forces that have as their purpose the protection of Vienna and of the Emperor, elite regiments with ceremonial names like the Arcièren-Leibgarde (Lifeguard of Halberdiers),the Trabanten Leibgarde (Guard of the Gentlemen at Arms), the Leibgarde-Infantrerie-Kompanie (Guard Infantry Company) and the Leibgarde-Reiter-Eskedron (Bodyguard Mounted Squadron).

The final part of the army is formed by the Border Guards, the so called Grenz infantry (German: Grenzers). Generally infantry forces, the Grenzers are specially recruited in the border areas of the Empire with the purpose of defending them until the main forces arrive at the front. They have evolved well past their initial militia like status, being just as strong as the main army, and they are used because of the several advantages that they would have against an enemy invading force. The soldiers are recruited through a combination of volunteers and conscription, and their numbers can be increased dramatically during a situation of war.

The Imperial-Royal War Navy (German: Kaiserlich-königliche Kriegsmarine) is the naval force of the Habsburgs. It's a small force, as the navy has never been a major focus of Austria. The Navy has remained relatively unknown to the Austrian population, and the general feeling is that the Navy is expensive and unnecessary. Currently, the Navy is divided into two. The River Fleet (German: Flussflotte), also unofficially known as the Danube Fleet (German: Donauflotte), and the Adriatic Fleet (German: Adriatische Flotte). The former is basically a force built out of small ships used to navigate on rivers, with its strongest force existing on the Danube River, in order to defend the Austrian part of it, and especially the capital of Vienna, but plans for using this force in an offensive manner exist. The Adriatic Fleet mainly exists with the purpose of maintaining Austrian dominance in the small sea, and with protecting and escorting Austrian merchant ships in the Mediterranean.
History:
Normal early Austrian history. Established as the Marchia orientalis (March of the East) or Margraviate of Austria in 976, ruled by the House of Babenberg. The march was then elevated to the rank of a duchy. After the extinction of the House of Babenberg and a brief interregnum, Austria came under the rule of the German king Rudolf I of Habsburg. In the 15th and early 16th centuries, the Habsburgs expanded their territories through marriage and diplomacy, taking control over Spain, the Netherlands, and parts of Italy. This brought the Habsburgs into conflict with Bourbon France, and the conflicts between them were important in shaping the history of Western and Central Europe. The Edict of Worms then divided the dynasty, as Charles V gave the hereditary Austrian lands to his brother, Ferdinand I. A central administration was properly created in Austria for the first time, and this is where the modern Austria was born. Ferdinand I inherited Hungary and Bohemia, and embroiled Austria in the anti-Ottoman struggle, eventually liberating most of Royal Hungary after defeating the Roman-Ottomans in front of Vienna with the help of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The Reformation started to spread in the 16th century, and the policy of recatholicisation or Catholic Renewal (Rekatholisierung) of the Habsburg Holy Roman Emperors was a major factor which led to the beginning of the Thirty Years War, which eventually ended with a defeat for the Habsburgs, pressured by the the anti-Habsburg coalition. This reduced their authority to the lands directly under their control, weakening the position of the Holy Roman Emperor.

The extinction of the Iberian line of the Habsburgs led to the War of Iberian Succession, through which Austria gained control of the Spanish Netherlands and of Lombardy, limiting the influence of France. 1713 was marked by the Pragmatic Sanction, an attempt to solidify the hereditary Habsburg control over those territories, and to ensure the legitimacy of Maria Theresa's succession to the throne. But when she finally ascended to the throne, Austria was perceived as being weakened, leading to the War of Austrian Succession. The Austrians were defeated in Silesia by the Prussia, and despite the war overall ending a stalemate, the Austrian loss of Silesia marked the rise of Prussia as a German power to challenge the Habsburgs, and the subsequent defeat of Austria in the Seven Years' War ended Austrian dreams of recovering the region. Further wars with the Roman-Ottomans and an expansion of imperial rule in Eastern Europe and the Balkans marked a shift in the priorities of the dynasty, and the Habsburgs took part in the Partitions of Poland, but while relations with its larger neighbor to the south somewhat calmed down, the Austrians always remained prepared for the possibility of Roman-Ottoman offensives and raids, through the creation of the Military Border Regions.

The attempt at a revolution and the civil war in France, closely witnessed by the Habsburgs through the letters of Marie Antoinette greatly influenced Francis II as the took on the crowns of his ancestors after the death of his father, Leopold II. The news and rumors of freedom and equality that started to be whispered throughout Europe were bad news for the Habsburgs, followed by the many revolts suffered by the Rus and the creation of an independent Ukraine that threatened Habsburg rule in Galicia and Bucovina. Cautious and pragmatic, the rule of Francis ever since has been of small and moderate reforms and of preparations. A Military Court Comission was organized under Archduke Charles in order to slowly start reforming the military forces of the Habsburgs, and Francis took an active interest into the affairs of the Holy Roman Empire and its Diet. Problematic provinces, like the Austrian Netherlands, also opened commissions that would research the possibility of reforms. For the reformists and the radicals, Francis has done too little - while for some reactionaries, he has done too much by even contemplating changes. But for now, the Emperor seems to be content with waiting and watching. There is no rush, for Austria will be the last left standing in the world.

Last edited by Tracian Empire on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:49 am

I started writing the app before noticing the potential Bavarian claim on Tyrol, I'll edit it if necessary.

Hanovereich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanovereich » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Nation Application

Nation Name:
  • The Habsburg Monarchy/German: Die Habsburgermonarchie/Latin: Habsburgensis Monarchia
  • Habsburg/Austrian Hereditary Lands/German: Habsburgische/Österreichische Erblande
Government (Name leader, political system, etc): The Habsburg Empire is essentially a composite, absolute, hereditary monarchy under the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. The monarch, with his main title of Archduke of Austria and King in Germany, who also rules as Holy Roman Emperor, rules as the monarch of the various other crowns and territories inherited by the dynasty throughout the ages. Administratively, the situation is somewhat of a mess. In theory, each of these territories has its own internal administration, with varying degrees of autonomy, delegating matters of military and foreign affairs to Vienna. In practice however, the situation is different in each state. The Archduchy of Austria has no local government and instead is controlled fully by the Imperial Government in Vienna, while the Kingdom of Bohemia and the Kingdom of Illyria have local governments that are fully subordinated. Places like Transylvania go a step further and are directly led by Governors appointed by the Emperor himself. The Kingdom of Hungary however is an example of the opposite, as the 1790 Constitution declared it a "Regnum Independens", an independent realm in all but name. Because of that, Hungary is has a much stronger internal autonomy, being led by its own Royal Diet, and by a Palatine who is elected by the Diet and just confirmed by the Emperor.

Centrally, the monarch, currently, Francis II of Habsburg-Lorraine, has an unlimited and absolute power through his divine right to rule. His position is as such unchallenged. The Emperor has all the executive and legislative power in the country, with Imperial Orders, Decrees, and Laws serving as the basis of rule. Judicial power is delegated to local and regional courts and to the higher institution known as the Highest Judicial Office (German: Oberste Justizstelle), which was founded by Maria Theresa in 1749, and which has jurisdiction over all the crown lands of the Habsburgs directly under his power and authority.

Territory: The administrative units of the empire are known as Crownlands (Kronländer) or as Constituent Lands (Konstituierende Länder), and are divided as follows:
  • Princely County of Tyrol with Vorarlberg (''Gefürstete Grafschaft Tirol mit dem Lande Vorarlberg")
  • Princely County of Gorizia and Gradisca (''Gefürstete Grafschaft Görz und Gradisca'')
  • Imperial Free City of Trieste (''Reichsunmittelbare Stadt Triest und ihr Gebiet')
  • Imperial Free City of Krakow (''Reichsunmittelbare Stadt Krakau und ihr Gebiet')
  • Voivodeship of Serbia and Banat of Temeschwar (''Woiwodschaft Serbien und Temescher Banat'')
  • Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia (''Dreieinige Königreich Kroatien, Slawonien und Dalmatien'')

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc): The Imperial-Royal Army (German: Kaiserlich-königliche Armee), commonly abbreviated to "K.K. Armee", is the name most often used to describe the variety of armies and units that fight under the orders of the Habsburgs, from throughout their domains. The peace-time, standing army under the direct command of Archduke Charles is of around 100,000 men, mostly formed by German units. In times of war, the size of the army can be increased through the recruitment of conscripts to a size of 57 line regiments, including two grenadier companies each, 17 Grenzer light infantry regiments, three garrison regiments and the Stabs Infanterie Regiment in Vienna.

Due to the large, multiethnic pool of people form which the Habsburgs recruit their soldiers, regiments receive different designations based on their origin. German (Deutsch) applies to most of the Imperial-Royal units, from Austrians from the hereditary lands, to Czechs from Bohemia, Poles from Galicia and even Walloons from the Austrian Netherlands. Hungarian (Ungarisch) regiments are the ones recruited from the territories of Hungary, Transylvania, Croatia, Bucovina and the military regions.

The quality of the military varies a lot between individual regiments. The use of conscription and of different methods of training throughout the Habsburg lands means that quality can even vary wildly between the individual units of a regiment, which is further complicated by issues of communication. The language of command is German, and as such, the currently applied system is that of "Army German" (Armeedeutsch), which is a system of basic orders in German that the soldiers must learn to understand and to respond to. There have however been proposals for the creation of Army Slavic, a series of orders in Slavic that the officers would learn in order to further increase communication, but this proposal has not yet been implemented or even seriously considered, and this means that more complicated orders can often lead to issues. The quality of the equipment has also been greatly affected by the lack of a well developed military budget prior to 1790, but the threat of revolutions has slowly led to an increase in military expenditures. Regiments are slowly rearmed with the modern M1798 Musket, and equipped with a new 1798-pattern uniform, even if this has been progressing slowly, so some units are armed with an assortment of older weapons and equipped with older uniforms. Specialist units are armed with the Girardoni air rifle.

Each regiment has its specific zone of recruitment. The issue comes in the non-German areas of the Empire, where the well-organized system is replaced. Hungary manages its own recruitment, organized by the Royal Diet, and while the Hungarians are supposed to recruit a specific quota of people, they do not always to meet it. A system of conscription exists in the non-German areas under direct imperial control too, but recruitment from those areas is somewhat hesitant, and the general practice is for soldiers that belong in an ethnic community to be sent in a different area of the empire and mixed with German regiments so as to better ensure their loyalty.

The Common Army is supplemented by a group informally known as the Imperial Guard (German: die Kaiserliche Garde), formed by 5000 men of the various forces that have as their purpose the protection of Vienna and of the Emperor, elite regiments with ceremonial names like the Arcièren-Leibgarde (Lifeguard of Halberdiers),the Trabanten Leibgarde (Guard of the Gentlemen at Arms), the Leibgarde-Infantrerie-Kompanie (Guard Infantry Company) and the Leibgarde-Reiter-Eskedron (Bodyguard Mounted Squadron).

The final part of the army is formed by the Border Guards, the so called Grenz infantry (German: Grenzers). Generally infantry forces, the Grenzers are specially recruited in the border areas of the Empire with the purpose of defending them until the main forces arrive at the front. They have evolved well past their initial militia like status, being just as strong as the main army, and they are used because of the several advantages that they would have against an enemy invading force. The soldiers are recruited through a combination of volunteers and conscription, and their numbers can be increased dramatically during a situation of war.

The Imperial-Royal War Navy (German: Kaiserlich-königliche Kriegsmarine) is the naval force of the Habsburgs. It's a small force, as the navy has never been a major focus of Austria. The Navy has remained relatively unknown to the Austrian population, and the general feeling is that the Navy is expensive and unnecessary. Currently, the Navy is divided into two. The River Fleet (German: Flussflotte), also unofficially known as the Danube Fleet (German: Donauflotte), and the Adriatic Fleet (German: Adriatische Flotte). The former is basically a force built out of small ships used to navigate on rivers, with its strongest force existing on the Danube River, in order to defend the Austrian part of it, and especially the capital of Vienna, but plans for using this force in an offensive manner exist. The Adriatic Fleet mainly exists with the purpose of maintaining Austrian dominance in the small sea, and with protecting and escorting Austrian merchant ships in the Mediterranean.
History:
Normal early Austrian history. Established as the Marchia orientalis (March of the East) or Margraviate of Austria in 976, ruled by the House of Babenberg. The march was then elevated to the rank of a duchy. After the extinction of the House of Babenberg and a brief interregnum, Austria came under the rule of the German king Rudolf I of Habsburg. In the 15th and early 16th centuries, the Habsburgs expanded their territories through marriage and diplomacy, taking control over Spain, the Netherlands, and parts of Italy. This brought the Habsburgs into conflict with Bourbon France, and the conflicts between them were important in shaping the history of Western and Central Europe. The Edict of Worms then divided the dynasty, as Charles V gave the hereditary Austrian lands to his brother, Ferdinand I. A central administration was properly created in Austria for the first time, and this is where the modern Austria was born. Ferdinand I inherited Hungary and Bohemia, and embroiled Austria in the anti-Ottoman struggle, eventually liberating most of Royal Hungary after defeating the Roman-Ottomans in front of Vienna with the help of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The Reformation started to spread in the 16th century, and the policy of recatholicisation or Catholic Renewal (Rekatholisierung) of the Habsburg Holy Roman Emperors was a major factor which led to the beginning of the Thirty Years War, which eventually ended with a defeat for the Habsburgs, pressured by the the anti-Habsburg coalition. This reduced their authority to the lands directly under their control, weakening the position of the Holy Roman Emperor.

The extinction of the Iberian line of the Habsburgs led to the War of Iberian Succession, through which Austria gained control of the Spanish Netherlands and of Lombardy, limiting the influence of France. 1713 was marked by the Pragmatic Sanction, an attempt to solidify the hereditary Habsburg control over those territories, and to ensure the legitimacy of Maria Theresa's succession to the throne. But when she finally ascended to the throne, Austria was perceived as being weakened, leading to the War of Austrian Succession. The Austrians were defeated in Silesia by the Prussia, and despite the war overall ending a stalemate, the Austrian loss of Silesia marked the rise of Prussia as a German power to challenge the Habsburgs, and the subsequent defeat of Austria in the Seven Years' War ended Austrian dreams of recovering the region. Further wars with the Roman-Ottomans and an expansion of imperial rule in Eastern Europe and the Balkans marked a shift in the priorities of the dynasty, and the Habsburgs took part in the Partitions of Poland, but while relations with its larger neighbor to the south somewhat calmed down, the Austrians always remained prepared for the possibility of Roman-Ottoman offensives and raids, through the creation of the Military Border Regions.

The attempt at a revolution and the civil war in France, closely witnessed by the Habsburgs through the letters of Marie Antoinette greatly influenced Francis II as the took on the crowns of his ancestors after the death of his father, Leopold II. The news and rumors of freedom and equality that started to be whispered throughout Europe were bad news for the Habsburgs, followed by the many revolts suffered by the Rus and the creation of an independent Ukraine that threatened Habsburg rule in Galicia and Bucovina. Cautious and pragmatic, the rule of Francis ever since has been of small and moderate reforms and of preparations. A Military Court Comission was organized under Archduke Charles in order to slowly start reforming the military forces of the Habsburgs, and Francis took an active interest into the affairs of the Holy Roman Empire and its Diet. Problematic provinces, like the Austrian Netherlands, also opened commissions that would research the possibility of reforms. For the reformists and the radicals, Francis has done too little - while for some reactionaries, he has done too much by even contemplating changes. But for now, the Emperor seems to be content with waiting and watching. There is no rush, for Austria will be the last left standing in the world.

Accepted. If Bavaria claims Tyrol, you can edit it. Also, I assume that your territory is the same as the Austro-Hungarians', minus the territory that's already claimed? (Just clarification needed to add this onto the map)

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:01 am

Hanovereich wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Nation Application

Nation Name:

History:

Accepted. If Bavaria claims Tyrol, you can edit it. Also, I assume that your territory is the same as the Austro-Hungarians', minus the territory that's already claimed? (Just clarification needed to add this onto the map)

I can add the provinces on a map to show you if it's easier.

Essentially yes, everything that is left of the 1914 Austro-Hungarian territories, but added to that would be the Duchy of Milan in 1790 and the Austrian Netherlands.

here is alink of the map that Wikipedia uses.

One mention that I forgot about would be that I also counted the Prince-Bishopric of Salzburg because it was secularized in 1803. I can remove it from my app, not I am not sure which provinces exactly it would be on the map.

Linkolas Finland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Linkolas Finland » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 am

American Pere Housh wrote:Nation Application

NS Name:American Pere Housh
Nation Name:The United States of America
Government (Name leader, political system, etc):President John Adams

Territory:All US territory held in 1800
Population:9.5 million

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc):250,000 in the U.S. Army, 35,000 in The U.S. Marine Corp, and 10,000 in the U.S. Navy; The United States chose to create a professional volunteer military after witnessing how effective the British Army was during the Revolutionary War and how fortunate they were when the French got involved.

History:Same as IRL except a professional military force was established right after the ratification of the Bill of Rights and the United Constitution. While the U.S. is generally Pro French, President Adams declared that they will be neutral in any future European war. The United States has decided to negotiate buying both the Louisiana territory and Florida as a way to fund Spain's war against the UK.

Any further info:The United States takes a far tougher stance against the Barbary Pirates of North Africa.
Do you acknowledge and understand the rules:Yes

If I could just point out, this would make your active military about 3.3% of your population. To put into perspective how enormous that is, having about one in every 36 people be an active soldier, the closest country irl to have a similar proportion is North Korea.

1800's America, which can barely agree on federalism over confederacy, and has just begun settling Ohio and Kentucky, would be attempting to effectively host what is comparatively the largest military machine on the planet?

Rhim Flavezztowland
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhim Flavezztowland » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 am

Rhim Flavezztowland wrote:Reservation

Territory: See the map here (for some clarification, the territory selected in this map is Japan, southern Sakhalin, southern Kamchatka, the Kuril Islands, the Philippines of the present day, upper Siam, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar excluding Tenasserim, Bangladesh east of the Meghna, Padhma, and Brahmaputra rivers, Bhutan, and India east of Sikkim).

Any further info: This is an alt-history empire led by the Tokugawa shogunate that I made up while thinking of this alt-history scenario: "What if the Tokugawa shogunate controlled any land beyond Japan while it lasted?"

Doing my official app to this RP now based on what I reserved above (note: I've selected more territory for the nation I'll be RP-ing as here because I felt like doing so)...

Nation Application

Government (Name leader, political system, etc): The highest level in the Edo Empire's governmental hierarchy is the military-backed Tokugawa shogunate, led by Emperor Morohito and Shogun Tokugawa Ienari as of 1800. Below the Tokugawa shogunate are two types of government: the provincial governments of Japan, where the shogunate is based, and the colonial governments of the Edo Empire's colonies.

Territory: See this map and this map also. (note: all the territory selected in both maps is under effective Edo Empire control except for the Philippines of the present day IRL, where the Tokugawa shogunate's claim on it as an Edo colony is highly contested)
Population: Somewhere between 800,000 and 12,000,000 people.

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc): The Edo Empire's armed forces (which consist of two service branches: the army and the navy) are under the command of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi and currently command 150,000 active army soldiers as well as 75,000 navy battleships. The army's soldiers use weapons such as shin-shinto swords and yumi bows, while the navy's battleships make use of bo-hiya fire arrows and teppo cannons.

History: The Edo Empire's history starts in 1768, when the Tokugawa shogunate under Emperor Toshiko and Shogunate Tokugawa Ieharu was seeking to extend its reach beyond its confines in Japan. In that very same year, they landed on the east coast of Vietnam and declared that a new empire, the Edo Empire, had been founded, effectively colonizing Vietnam from the hands of the Tây Sơn dynasty that was ruling it through the Kingdom of Dai Viet before then. At that point, the Tokugawa shogunate's conquest to extensively colonize land into the Edo Empire began, with its colonization of the land belonging to the Luang Prabang kingdom and Phuan principality coming in 1770, and that of the land belonging to the Vientiane and Champasak kingdoms coming in 1771. From then on, more Edo Empire colonies were established in places across Asia; the territories that the Edo Empire has unfettered control over are Cambodia (colonized in 1774), upper Siam (colonized in 1775), Myanmar (colonized in 1777 except for Tenasserim), eastern Bengal (colonized in 1782), Bhutan (colonized in 1785), the eastern Brahmaputra (modern-day Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, and Tripura, colonized in 1786), Ceylon (colonized in 1791), southern Alaska (also colonized in 1791), and the northern Cascades (modern-day British Columbia, western Alberta, and Washington, colonized in 1799). As of 1800, however, the Edo Empire's colonial territorial claims over the Philippines (which its navy battleships landed on and declared a new Edo colony in 1798) are hotly contested.

Any further info: (OOC) This is an alt-history empire led by the Tokugawa shogunate that I made up while thinking of this alt-history scenario: "What if the Tokugawa shogunate controlled any land beyond Japan while it lasted?"

Last edited by Rhim Flavezztowland on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 am

Tracian Empire and Hanovereich

Apologies for causing any confusion, I hadn't considered/noticed that the first map included territories which were taken from Austria prior to 1806. As such, the Bavaria I have reserved (whilst I wait to see if I am going to RP this week or next), has no claim on Tyrol or Voralberg.

It may be easier to map Austria first, before mapping Bavaria, especially as Austria is more likely to RP this week than I am currently.

Madmunch
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Madmunch » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 am

Linkolas Finland wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:Nation Application

NS Name:American Pere Housh
Nation Name:The United States of America
Government (Name leader, political system, etc):President John Adams

Territory:All US territory held in 1800
Population:9.5 million

Military (Numbers, equipment, etc):250,000 in the U.S. Army, 35,000 in The U.S. Marine Corp, and 10,000 in the U.S. Navy; The United States chose to create a professional volunteer military after witnessing how effective the British Army was during the Revolutionary War and how fortunate they were when the French got involved.

History:Same as IRL except a professional military force was established right after the ratification of the Bill of Rights and the United Constitution. While the U.S. is generally Pro French, President Adams declared that they will be neutral in any future European war. The United States has decided to negotiate buying both the Louisiana territory and Florida as a way to fund Spain's war against the UK.

Any further info:The United States takes a far tougher stance against the Barbary Pirates of North Africa.
Do you acknowledge and understand the rules:Yes

If I could just point out, this would make your active military about 3.3% of your population. To put into perspective how enormous that is, having about one in every 36 people be an active soldier, the closest country irl to have a similar proportion is North Korea.

1800's America, which can barely agree on federalism over confederacy, and has just begun settling Ohio and Kentucky, would be attempting to effectively host what is comparatively the largest military machine on the planet?

Yea I have to agree about that size discrepancy. Even if OP has allowed it, I expect to see proper economical and political repercussions for this in the IC. Also, once again, I want to point out that Spain and the U.K are not at war ya. That fact has already been established OOCily.
Last edited by Madmunch on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse