NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Velahor wrote:
To: Representative Caroline Simone (caroline@simone.house.gov)
Subject: Event in IL Follow-Up

Representative Simone,

I want to give you my sincerest thanks for your speech and hosting of the wonderful event in Illinois. I am quite pleased to know that we have shared interests, and I am looking forward to seeing those interests put into action in Congress.

There is a NCBA prospective board member for our next term who has taken great interest in putting a stop to the MARKET Act. He has specifically requested a phone call with you at your earliest convenience. He has asked that I keep his identity concealed until your interest in this meeting is confirmed, however, I can ensure you that this individual is a very important ally with connections to top politicians and ag industry leaders.

If you are interested in taking a phone call from this individual, I will provide you with his contact information so your office can arrange a time.

Best regards,

Kevin Palmer
National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Executive Director Region V (2021-2022)
Treasurer of the National Cattlemen's Association PAC

To: Kevin Palmer (kpalmer@ncba.org)
From: Representative Caroline Simone (caroline@simone.house.gov)
Subject: RE:Event in IL Follow-Up

Dear Mr. Palmer,

I confess that the general context of your email prior was a little strange to me, and I'm not usually in the business of taking anonymous meetings, but a phonecall doesn't seem like it'd hurt, and I'm eager to explore further avenues by which the Democratic Party can continue to prove that it is the party of agriculture, and can foster a mutually supportive relationship between business and government. I'll be happy to call him at a time mutually convenient.

Best wishes,

Caroline Simone
U.S. Representative for the 12th District of the State of New York
Ranking Member, House Committee on Foreign Relations
Former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives

Representative Simone,

Very well, I'm glad that you see the compatibility of our goals.

His name is Bill Rogers Jr., he is a big-name Montana cattle rancher and a major donor to various agriculture-related PACs. He is a lifelong Republican, but his son is a Democratic Senator, so that is why he was trying to tread lightly with his identity in setting up this meeting. He has requested specifically that you do not discuss this email or the upcoming phone call with anyone outside of your office for that reason. Bill's phone number is 406-555-1234, and he said that he is free to answer your call any time.

Sorry for the lack of context around the previous email. I was at the event earlier this week and had spoken with Bill over the phone afterward about strategies to stop MARKET from clearing the Senate. He really wanted to speak with you specifically for some reason. Obviously, you would have little to do with what the Senate does with MARKET, but Bill was insistent that he speak with you. The only reason he gave me was that he "really liked" your speech in the House about MARKET, and was very pleased to hear that you had met with beef industry leaders. Beyond me setting up this meeting on his behalf, I have no further knowledge regarding his intent in setting up the phone call.

Regards,

Kevin Palmer
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Velahor wrote:

Representative Simone,

His name is Bill Rogers Jr., he is a big-name Montana cattle rancher and a major donor to various agriculture-related PACs. He is a lifelong Republican, but his son is a Democratic Senator, so that is why he was trying to tread lightly with his identity in setting up this meeting. He has requested specifically that you do not discuss this email or the upcoming phone call with anyone outside of your office for that reason. Bill's phone number is 406-555-1234, and he said that he is free to answer your call any time.

Sorry for the lack of context around the previous email. I was at the event earlier this week and had spoken with Bill over the phone afterward about strategies to stop MARKET from clearing the Senate. He really wanted to speak with you specifically for some reason. Obviously, you would have little to do with what the Senate does with MARKET, but Bill was insistent that he speak with you. The only reason he gave me was that he "really liked" your speech in the House about MARKET, and was very pleased to hear that you had met with beef industry leaders. Beyond me setting up this meeting on his behalf, I have no further knowledge regarding his intent in setting up the phone call.

Regards,

Kevin Palmer

Bill Rogers Jr... Not a name that was outrightly on her radar, but lifelong Republican donors don't tend to be unless there's a realistic proposition of a switch. Nonetheless, she was happy to set up the call, even if the whole situation felt odd. She didn't put it through Christian in the annex, instead deciding to connect to the exterior line herself as she tapped in the number. Montana cattle rancher... It couldn't be? Surely not. She remembered working with her leadership PAC to see some ads for the kid over there, but the idea these two things were connected was surely more coincidence than reason. Still, as she leaned back in her chair and listened to the steady strum of the dialling tone, she twisted the chair left and right, idly curling her finger around an absent receiver cable. God, she missed those things.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Velahor wrote:

Representative Simone,

Regards,

Kevin Palmer

Bill Rogers Jr... Not a name that was outrightly on her radar, but lifelong Republican donors don't tend to be unless there's a realistic proposition of a switch. Nonetheless, she was happy to set up the call, even if the whole situation felt odd. She didn't put it through Christian in the annex, instead deciding to connect to the exterior line herself as she tapped in the number. Montana cattle rancher... It couldn't be? Surely not. She remembered working with her leadership PAC to see some ads for the kid over there, but the idea these two things were connected was surely more coincidence than reason. Still, as she leaned back in her chair and listened to the steady strum of the dialling tone, she twisted the chair left and right, idly curling her finger around an absent receiver cable. God, she missed those things.

Lazy R Ranch
Twin Bridges, Montana

The herd of Black Angus cattle moved slowly along the hillside as 4 cowboys followed on horseback. About 30 yards back from the cowboys sat Bill Rogers Jr. on an ATV, who occasionally would speed up the off-road vehicle and run it around a stray calf that left the herd, pointing it back in the right direction.

He felt the gigantic brick of a cheap Android cell phone buzzing in his pocket. Bill never really took to the whole "smartphone" thing; he rarely texted, only used the browser to look up football scores and commodity market prices, and mostly just called dialing numbers by memory. Having a phone with him all the time was a blessing and a curse; it made running the ranch a lot easier, but he missed the quiet of being surrounded by the grand Montana landscape with no phone to get you. The far reaches of the ranch didn't have much cell coverage, but calls still would get through sometimes.

He answered the cell phone. It was a DC number...maybe it was that city girl Representative that he told Palmer to reach out to him, maybe it was just someone else at the NCBA's DC office, maybe someone who he wasn't thinking of at the moment. A bit of him hoped that it was his eldest son, but he knew that Will was too stubborn and set in "his journey" to even think about calling him out of the blue.

"Hello?!" he answered, fairly loudly over the sound of the cows mooing in the distance.

He heard a strong echo of his voice.

"Hol' up. I'm out on the back half and don't have good service. Lemme run up the hill real quick, about 30 seconds. Call me back if it disconnects."

Bill stepped on the gas pedal and zipped the four-wheeler up the hill, holding the cellphone in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. He stopped at the crest of the hill and held his phone up in the air, seeing a few more bars of service than before. He held the phone back up to his ear, turned off the ignition of the ATV, and spoke again.

"Sorry about that, I only get service in some parts of my office. Who am I speaking with?"

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Lazy R Ranch
Twin Bridges, Montana

The herd of Black Angus cattle moved slowly along the hillside as 4 cowboys followed on horseback. About 30 yards back from the cowboys sat Bill Rogers Jr. on an ATV, who occasionally would speed up the off-road vehicle and run it around a stray calf that left the herd, pointing it back in the right direction.

He felt the gigantic brick of a cheap Android cell phone buzzing in his pocket. Bill never really took to the whole "smartphone" thing; he rarely texted, only used the browser to look up football scores and commodity market prices, and mostly just called dialing numbers by memory. Having a phone with him all the time was a blessing and a curse; it made running the ranch a lot easier, but he missed the quiet of being surrounded by the grand Montana landscape with no phone to get you. The far reaches of the ranch didn't have much cell coverage, but calls still would get through sometimes.

He answered the cell phone. It was a DC number...maybe it was that city girl Representative that he told Palmer to reach out to him, maybe it was just someone else at the NCBA's DC office, maybe someone who he wasn't thinking of at the moment. A bit of him hoped that it was his eldest son, but he knew that Will was too stubborn and set in "his journey" to even think about calling him out of the blue.

"Hello?!" he answered, fairly loudly over the sound of the cows mooing in the distance.

"Hol' up. I'm out on the back half and don't have good service. Lemme run up the hill real quick, about 30 seconds. Call me back if it disconnects."

Bill stepped on the gas pedal and zipped the four-wheeler up the hill, holding the cellphone in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. He stopped at the crest of the hill and held his phone up in the air, seeing a few more bars of service than before. He held the phone back up to his ear, turned off the ignition of the ATV, and spoke again.

"Sorry about that, I only get service in some parts of my office. Who am I speaking with?"

Caroline held the receiver away from her head for a bit ass the ATV roared down the line, before she blinked at it oddly and heard the voice coming through.

"This is Caroline Simone. Mr. Palmer gave me your number, Mr. Rogers."
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:38 pm

A Note Left at the Office of Congressman John Amos Mattox III
Congressman Mattox,

I wanted to share my deepest gratitude toward your vote in favor of the Meat Access, Regulation, Knowledge, and Ethical Treatment Act. While there are rumors of a whip on the bill, I personally am very proud to know that there are other Democrats in Congress like yourself who are personally willing to take a stand and fix bad policy, regardless of what the powerful think of it.

While we have not yet become acquainted, I have a lot of respect for your record and tenure in the House. If at all possible for you, I would like to meet soon to discuss our legislative priorities. I owe you one for that MARKET vote!

Sincerely,

William Scott Rogers III
United States Senator (D-Montana)
Member of the Senate Agriculture Committee

P.S.: I see that you're also a "III". Quite a coincidence.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Lazy R Ranch
Twin Bridges, Montana

Caroline held the receiver away from her head for a bit ass the ATV roared down the line, before she blinked at it oddly and heard the voice coming through.

"This is Caroline Simone. Mr. Palmer gave me your number, Mr. Rogers."

Bill replied in his usual deep, gravelly voice.

"Yep. Caroline Simone. Representative Caroline Simone. Sorry 'bout all that...there isn't really the best service out here. So Kevin went ahead and sent you that email after all...I'd been bugging him for awhile to get ahold of you."
Last edited by Velahor on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill replied in his usual deep, gravelly voice.

"Yep. Caroline Simone. Representative Caroline Simone. Sorry 'bout all that...there isn't really the best service out here. So Kevin went ahead and sent you that email after all...I'd been bugging him to for awhile to get ahold of you."

There was something that amused Caroline about the other's tone. It was, perhaps, the fact that this entire exchange had so far gone on without any mention whatsoever of her previous station, something she wasn't sure if she found liberating or disquieting. Nonetheless, she smiled to herself and gave a nod. "Indeed, I got the email, and he mentioned you wanted to talk to me... On an incognito level, as I understand. A lifelong Republican, I'm given to believe."
Neoliberal

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:51 pm

Jonsson's Office, The Capitol Complex

"Very nice to meet you Will," Donal said taking his hand and kissing it.

"Well I have been keeping it very secret, very very secret, as I don't want it getting leaked to the pesky press, especially the people at OAN. It's the only news channel I can get in this office... bad reception or something. They'd tear them apart, line by line, word by word, they're brutal people. But some of their programming is good. But anyways the bills."

Donal pulled out an almost blank page with the descriptions of the bills.

"Well my first one is federally recognising and condemning the Armenian Genocide, mainly because those hicks from Mississippi won't just recognise it. Y'know every other state has passed a motion recognising it? Except for those backwards hicks. So we're probably about sevent years late, but better late than ever, am I right?" Donal winked.

"And I'm in the very early stages of writing a bill on ending the kill shelters that perfectly healthy puppies go to. They're so very cruel. No puppy should have to be euthanised, it's like the puppy holocaust in some states. So we need to put an end to their genocide, the silent genocide of millions each year. It's so sickening to the stomach my friend and it makes me so angry!" Donal slammed his hand on the desk.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Meretica
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Meretica » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Velahor wrote:
A Note Left at the Office of Congressman John Amos Mattox III
Congressman Mattox,

I wanted to share my deepest gratitude toward your vote in favor of the Meat Access, Regulation, Knowledge, and Ethical Treatment Act. While there are rumors of a whip on the bill, I personally am very proud to know that there are other Democrats in Congress like yourself who are personally willing to take a stand and fix bad policy, regardless of what the powerful think of it.

While we have not yet become acquainted, I have a lot of respect for your record and tenure in the House. If at all possible for you, I would like to meet soon to discuss our legislative priorities. I owe you one for that MARKET vote!

Sincerely,

William Scott Rogers III
United States Senator (D-Montana)
Member of the Senate Agriculture Committee

P.S.: I see that you're also a "III". Quite a coincidence.

A Note Left at the Office of Senator William Scott Rogers III

Senator Rogers,

If you are able, please feel free to drop by my office on either February 5 or 6 after 5 pm. I will be dining alone, planning future legislation, and sitting with my own thoughts from then until midnight. I will, quite coincidentally, be having steak for supper. There is no need to thank me for my vote; I am, deep down, an incrementalist progressive and will accept what changes I am able to get, though I am more than willing to make a stand.

Hoping you are well,

John Amos Mattox (D-MA8)

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill replied in his usual deep, gravelly voice.

"Yep. Caroline Simone. Representative Caroline Simone. Sorry 'bout all that...there isn't really the best service out here. So Kevin went ahead and sent you that email after all...I'd been bugging him to for awhile to get ahold of you."

There was something that amused Caroline about the other's tone. It was, perhaps, the fact that this entire exchange had so far gone on without any mention whatsoever of her previous station, something she wasn't sure if she found liberating or disquieting. Nonetheless, she smiled to herself and gave a nod. "Indeed, I got the email, and he mentioned you wanted to talk to me... On an incognito level, as I understand. A lifelong Republican, I'm given to believe."

Bill Rogers wasn't necessarily laughing, but there was a hint of buoyancy to his speech that gave hint to him finding humor in the seemingly random nature of situation. He was a man of few words, much less genuinely political in nature than his father or his son, so he would have to get to his point quickly.

He responded, "yep, well, a lifelong donor to Republicans, and some Democrats, just ones that are good with the beef industry. And until recently, I didn't think I would have to stress that they needed to be good with the whole beef industry."

It was still deep winter in Montana, and the icy wind stung him a bit as he talked. He cleared his throat away from the phone a bit and continued.

"I liked what I saw from you in the House on MARKET. Some common sense among what otherwise was only worth some admittedly funny C-SPAN viewing."

He actually did chuckle a bit this time.

"Listen...I know you're probably suspicious of some old Republican cowboy calling you who probably doesn't mean anything to anyone in New York calling you and telling you to keep it a secret. I don't mean to be so un-forward; where I'm from, we get to the point. But before I get to the point, I need to know...do you know my son Will, and how well do you know him?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill Rogers wasn't necessarily laughing, but there was a hint of buoyancy to his speech that gave hint to him finding humor in the seemingly random nature of situation. He was a man of few words, much less genuinely political in nature than his father or his son, so he would have to get to his point quickly.

He responded, "yep, well, a lifelong donor to Republicans, and some Democrats, just ones that are good with the beef industry. And until recently, I didn't think I would have to stress that they needed to be good with the whole beef industry."

It was still deep winter in Montana, and the icy wind stung him a bit as he talked. He cleared his throat away from the phone a bit and continued.

"I liked what I saw from you in the House on MARKET. Some common sense among what otherwise was only worth some admittedly funny C-SPAN viewing."

"Listen...I know you're probably suspicious of some old Republican cowboy calling you who probably doesn't mean anything to anyone in New York calling you and telling you to keep it a secret. I don't mean to be so un-forward; where I'm from, we get to the point. But before I get to the point, I need to know...do you know my son Will, and how well do you know him?"

"I'm glad you approved of my floor speech. I'd given it quite a fair amount of consideration," She hummed softly, digesting the rest of what Bill had said to her. Suspicion confirmed, she nodded to herself.

"I can't say he and I have spent any time together personally. He knows I threw a lot of money at his race, no doubt, and I know him inside and out as far as the DNC is concerned. Concerned seems to be the right word for it, considering how he's started off here on the Hill. Why?"
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill Rogers wasn't necessarily laughing, but there was a hint of buoyancy to his speech that gave hint to him finding humor in the seemingly random nature of situation. He was a man of few words, much less genuinely political in nature than his father or his son, so he would have to get to his point quickly.

"I'm glad you approved of my floor speech. I'd given it quite a fair amount of consideration," She hummed softly, digesting the rest of what Bill had said to her. Suspicion confirmed, she nodded to herself.

"I can't say he and I have spent any time together personally. He knows I threw a lot of money at his race, no doubt, and I know him inside and out as far as the DNC is concerned. Concerned seems to be the right word for it, considering how he's started off here on the Hill. Why?"

Bill had mixed feelings about her response. He was really looking for someone who could get in William's ear, taking the place of that old campaign manager, so a friend or acquaintance would be helpful. On the other hand, a clean slate would mean that Simone did not have any loyalty to William that would prevent his plans from working.

"I'll say this. The DNC is just beginning to feel as 'concerned' as I have, and a lot of other people have, for a long, long time about my boy."

He feigned a bit of emotion about the loss of his relationship with his estranged son, a trick he'd picked up from his wife when she had garnered sympathy from family members to turn them against William during the height of their feud.

"The reason why I had to be so cautious about setting up this meeting is because William and I haven't spoken in a good twenty years. He was disrespectful punk as a kid and ended up marrying this California girl who couldn't get along with the family. He refuses to talk to most of us to this day."

"Sorry to bring up personal stuff, but it has to be said."

"But...when my dad died years ago, I made him the promise that I'd always use the ranch to help my kids achieve their goals in life. William didn't let me pay for his school...he went out and took on loans for himself."

"When William ran for Senate, I used a lot of my connections in the agriculture industry to help get him elected. Heck, I even donated to PACs that turned around and funded his campaign. I thought of it as paying my dues to my father, making sure to support my son like my father supported me. And I had a few people in his campaign who I knew who were making sure to keep him on track. And I did everything I could to make sure he did not know that I was behind any of it."

While Bill had been playing humble, he knew very well of Carrie's former role, and would now use it to drive his point home.

"But...once you get a rebellious little sh*t like him elected, it's a lot harder to keep them under control. You and I are both a bit to blame in this, because we both played a part in funding his campaign...me on the ag lobby side and you on the DNC side."

"So do you see where I'm going with this? Someone is here is responsible for resolving this...and the one person Will isn't receptive to speaking with is me. Now, I don't know if we can get him to get off MARKET, especially because that would get the Montana Stockgrower's Association pretty mad at him. But someone has to get that boy under control, and quick, because he's the deciding vote in the Senate on basically everything. I don't care if he votes like a Republican or like a Democrat, but he better vote the way the people who paid for his ticket to the dance want him to. That make sense?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill had mixed feelings about her response. He was really looking for someone who could get in William's ear, taking the place of that old campaign manager, so a friend or acquaintance would be helpful. On the other hand, a clean slate would mean that Simone did not have any loyalty to William that would prevent his plans from working.

"I'll say this. The DNC is just beginning to feel as 'concerned' as I have, and a lot of other people have, for a long, long time about my boy."

He feigned a bit of emotion about the loss of his relationship with his estranged son, a trick he'd picked up from his wife when she had garnered sympathy from family members to turn them against William during the height of their feud.

"The reason why I had to be so cautious about setting up this meeting is because William and I haven't spoken in a good twenty years. He was disrespectful punk as a kid and ended up marrying this California girl who couldn't get along with the family. He refuses to talk to most of us to this day."

"But...when my dad died years ago, I made him the promise that I'd always use the ranch to help my kids achieve their goals in life. William didn't let me pay for his school...he went out and took on loans for himself."

"When William ran for Senate, I used a lot of my connections in the agriculture industry to help get him elected. Heck, I even donated to PACs that turned around and funded his campaign. I thought of it as paying my dues to my father, making sure to support my son like my father supported me. And I had a few people in his campaign who I knew who were making sure to keep him on track. And I did everything I could to make sure he did not know that I was behind any of it."

While Bill had been playing humble, he knew very well of Carrie's former role, and would now use it to drive his point home.

"But...once you get a rebellious little sh*t like him elected, it's a lot harder to keep them under control. You and I are both a bit to blame in this, because we both played a part in funding his campaign...me on the ag lobby side and you on the DNC side."

"So do you see where I'm going with this? Someone is here is responsible for resolving this...and the one person Will isn't receptive to speaking with is me. Now, I don't know if we can get him to get off MARKET, especially because that would get the Montana Stockgrower's Association pretty mad at him. But someone has to get that boy under control, and quick, because he's the deciding vote in the Senate on basically everything. I don't care if he votes like a Republican or like a Democrat, but he better vote the way the people who paid for his ticket to the dance want him to. That make sense?"

Oh boy. This was a situation. Caroline recalled her time as Speaker, being in many ways a mother to some of the younger, fresher members of her caucus. In many ways, that seemed to return to her as she absorbed what the other said, regarding the troublesome relationship between Bill Rogers Jr. and his son, the freshman Senator. That said, the way that the other spoke about his son was... strange. Abstract, even, in its dispassion. For his primary concern to be a return on his investment? She didn't buy it. There was more to this than she was being told - but - it was true that Rogers' rebel streak needed to be dealt with before it mutated into something worse.

"MARKET will not pass a Democratic Senate, that much I can assure you, but... It is true that getting him off the bill will be difficult if he's made such public, obvious commitments. That battle is, I think, already lost, but he's going to have to give your people something else. I'm sure we can examine options on that front. I can certainly try to sit down to him, ply my touch - I managed to bring the most conservative and most progressive Democrats onto the same page at times. I'll see if I can get him to see reason. He does not strike me as a particularly well-tempered politician. A little too soaked in idealism, and that won't serve him well in a red state. I imagine after his vote on the Endless Frontier amendment, the Majority Leader won't be too pleased with him, but we'll see."

She swallowed, humming a little.

"Of course, should we find ourselves back in the Senate minority and hand this present Administration a trifecta..."
Neoliberal

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:14 pm

Gene Obradovic
@SenatorObradovic
obradovic.senate.gov | Chicago, IL

Senate Republicans are moving to unilaterally discard the bipartisan agreement for expansions to the American Relief Act made between Leader Hertzog and President Richardson. This raises large and dangerous questions regarding - (1/3)

- the deliverability of promises made, and I hope to hear soon from the President or a representative of his Administration as to why the agreement made in good faith with Leader Hertzog, for the good of the American people - (2/3)

- is seemingly being discarded. (3/3)
Neoliberal

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Carrie Simone
@SpeakerSimone
simone.house.gov | New York, NY

Republicans in disarray - and Americans are paying the price.
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill had mixed feelings about her response. He was really looking for someone who could get in William's ear, taking the place of that old campaign manager, so a friend or acquaintance would be helpful. On the other hand, a clean slate would mean that Simone did not have any loyalty to William that would prevent his plans from working.

Oh boy. This was a situation. Caroline recalled her time as Speaker, being in many ways a mother to some of the younger, fresher members of her caucus. In many ways, that seemed to return to her as she absorbed what the other said, regarding the troublesome relationship between Bill Rogers Jr. and his son, the freshman Senator. That said, the way that the other spoke about his son was... strange. Abstract, even, in its dispassion. For his primary concern to be a return on his investment? She didn't buy it. There was more to this than she was being told - but - it was true that Rogers' rebel streak needed to be dealt with before it mutated into something worse.

"MARKET will not pass a Democratic Senate, that much I can assure you, but... It is true that getting him off the bill will be difficult if he's made such public, obvious commitments. That battle is, I think, already lost, but he's going to have to give your people something else. I'm sure we can examine options on that front. I can certainly try to sit down to him, ply my touch - I managed to bring the most conservative and most progressive Democrats onto the same page at times. I'll see if I can get him to see reason. He does not strike me as a particularly well-tempered politician. A little too soaked in idealism, and that won't serve him well in a red state. I imagine after his vote on the Endless Frontier amendment, the Majority Leader won't be too pleased with him, but we'll see."

She swallowed, humming a little.

"Of course, should we find ourselves back in the Senate minority and hand this present Administration a trifecta..."

Bill listened intently, then replied.

"You see what I see about him then. The kid has always been a daydreamer, and he used to have people like me who could take him back to reality. You said that you could maybe meet with him? That would definitely help us."

"I'm a Republican, but what I really care about is making sure that my business model stays in place...stuff like MARKET gives me more competition from the little guys that don't have contracts with the big meat corp's. If you're as committed to making the Democratic Party the party of agriculture as my friends in Illinois said you were, me and my associates definitely don't mind swinging support your way."

Bill was only moderately knowledgeable about how the Senate worked, so he spoke not realizing that the Democratic Majority Leader would probably just keep MARKET completely off the agenda.

"But I wouldn't knock MARKET's chances in the Senate, even if that Burger Brad guy can't pull through in Wisconsin and give the GOP the trifecta. William might be a troubled kid, but he's crafty and stubborn. About the brightest kid you'll ever meet too, he knows laws and rules and all that in a lot more detail than most."

Bill cleared his throat and wiped the wind-blown snow from his face.

"Just...if you or I can't get him under control in some way...then everything that everyone put in to get him that seat will be for nothing. You, me, Palmer at NCA-PAC, and a bunch of other people aren't getting what was paid for."

"And the worst part is that I'm worried that he can get re-elected all by himself, even without our help. My boy is very, very capable at what he does...but he has no guidance. Someone's gotta talk to him...and I will make sure that you are rewarded properly if you choose to do so. But he can't know that I had anything to do with you talkin' to him, or he won't listen at all."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill listened intently, then replied.

"You see what I see about him then. The kid has always been a daydreamer, and he used to have people like me who could take him back to reality. You said that you could maybe meet with him? That would definitely help us."

"I'm a Republican, but what I really care about is making sure that my business model stays in place...stuff like MARKET gives me more competition from the little guys that don't have contracts with the big meat corp's. If you're as committed to making the Democratic Party the party of agriculture as my friends in Illinois said you were, me and my associates definitely don't mind swinging support your way."

Bill was only moderately knowledgeable about how the Senate worked, so he spoke not realizing that the Democratic Majority Leader would probably just keep MARKET completely off the agenda.

"But I wouldn't knock MARKET's chances in the Senate, even if that Burger Brad guy can't pull through in Wisconsin and give the GOP the trifecta. William might be a troubled kid, but he's crafty and stubborn. About the brightest kid you'll ever meet too, he knows laws and rules and all that in a lot more detail than most."

"Just...if you or I can't get him under control in some way...then everything that everyone put in to get him that seat will be for nothing. You, me, Palmer at NCA-PAC, and a bunch of other people aren't getting what was paid for."

"And the worst part is that I'm worried that he can get re-elected all by himself, even without our help. My boy is very, very capable at what he does...but he has no guidance. Someone's gotta talk to him...and I will make sure that you are rewarded properly if you choose to do so. But he can't know that I had anything to do with you talkin' to him, or he won't listen at all."

"Oh, I'm well aware of the dangers of not responding promptly. If your son were to do something immensely stupid, it would destroy his relationship with the caucus. That much would become implicitly clear. He would be singlehandedly destroying the majority, and I think that's something that very much needs to be avoided. And that he very much needs to be aware of - actions have consequences, and policies have trade-offs. I'll talk to him, Mr. Rogers, don't you worry. And you have my word that I shan't show your hand in this whatsoever."
Neoliberal

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Rep. Oliver Miller
@RepMillerKS
miller.house.gov | Overland Park, KS

Once again, Senate Republicans gamble with American lives, despite good faith negotiations and agreements between Congressional Dems and the Richardson Admin (1/3)

I was elected to serve my constituents. I had my disagreements with the ARA - I believe it should have gone further. But I voted for it in the House because I knew that families living in my district depended on *some* form of aid. (2/3)

I knew that we had an amendment that we negotiated in good faith with with the President that would address some of these concerns. I say enough. Our constituents are suffering. Call your Senators and demand they support the Hertzog-Richardson amendment, and donate & volunteer with @WisDems! (3/3)
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill listened intently, then replied.

"Oh, I'm well aware of the dangers of not responding promptly. If your son were to do something immensely stupid, it would destroy his relationship with the caucus. That much would become implicitly clear. He would be singlehandedly destroying the majority, and I think that's something that very much needs to be avoided. And that he very much needs to be aware of - actions have consequences, and policies have trade-offs. I'll talk to him, Mr. Rogers, don't you worry. And you have my word that I shan't show your hand in this whatsoever."

Bill replied calmly.

"He's a good kid, but whatever you do, don't go easy on him. He tries to make people go easy on him, tries to talk his way out of things."

"Get a handle on him, and let me know how it goes. If you can steer him right, it's good for me, good for you, good for him, and good for guys like Palmer, who will make sure you are rewarded for your work."

"Any questions for me? Just want to make sure we got everything clear."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:30 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill replied calmly.

"He's a good kid, but whatever you do, don't go easy on him. He tries to make people go easy on him, tries to talk his way out of things."

"Get a handle on him, and let me know how it goes. If you can steer him right, it's good for me, good for you, good for him, and good for guys like Palmer, who will make sure you are rewarded for your work."

"I've got a son, Mr. Rogers. And for the longest time, I thought I'd lost him. After my divorce from George, he didn't want anything to do with me. Ran off and became a Navy pilot. Got himself shot down over Serbia."

She exhaled, the memory of it all quite painful.

"This will pass. Eventually."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Senate Majority Leader Benjamin Hertzog's Office
Washington, DC

Walking swiftly the the Majority Leader's office, Rogers was nervous. He'd already gotten flak from his now former campaign manager over the phone about MARKET earlier that morning, and while he was anticipating another lecture about his maverick ways upon his arrival at Hertzog's office, it was certainly not something he was looking forward to. On top of that, he figured Hertzog would be pretty unhappy that Rogers and Vichter killed his amendment to the EFA.

William approached the secretary sitting at the entrance of the office and spoke up.

"Hey. I'm Senator William Rogers. Senator Hertzog requested that I meet him here after we adjourned the the Senate for the day."

Laying down the law was arguably one of the biggest reasons that Hertzog was hesitant to pursue a higher position in leadership for all those years. His style was much less confrontation and much more cooperation. Maybe it was just his personality, maybe it's just what happens when confrontation meant a higher chance of critical failure and cooperation meant a higher chance of getting to go up again in his previous career. Regardless, for the situation the Caucus found itself it, it'd be better that Hertzog were to met with the freshman Senator himself now rather than sicking the Whip or Obradovic on him or waiting for him to become an actual problem.

Not wanting to keep him waiting too long with his secretary, shortly after Roger's arrived Hertzog would open up the door to his private office. Upon walking in Rogers would find Hertzog standing off to the side at a Keurig waiting for his drink to finish brewing. Hearing him walk in, Hertzog turned around and calmly asked, "Senator Rogers, what brings you to my office this evening?"

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill replied calmly.

"I've got a son, Mr. Rogers. And for the longest time, I thought I'd lost him. After my divorce from George, he didn't want anything to do with me. Ran off and became a Navy pilot. Got himself shot down over Serbia."

She exhaled, the memory of it all quite painful.

"This will pass. Eventually."

Bill felt some sympathy for her loss.

"Wow...just...that's a lot...I don't think I could handle something like that happening to one of my kids, I just really don't think I could go on. You're really a tough woman for making it through something like that...I pray every day that this phase passes and I get to see my son again, but to be in your shoes, that's something else."

"Well Representative, it's really been a pleasure talking to you. Will you please let me know how the meeting with Will goes?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill felt some sympathy for her loss.

"Wow...just...that's a lot...I don't think I could handle something like that happening to one of my kids, I just really don't think I could go on. You're really a tough woman for making it through something like that...I pray every day that this phase passes and I get to see my son again, but to be in your shoes, that's something else."

"Well Representative, it's really been a pleasure talking to you. Will you please let me know how the meeting with Will goes?"

Caroline realizes immediately that Bill has misinterpreted what she said, and that she hadn't been clear. "Oh, no, Mr. Rogers, he's not dead. Permanently disabled in one arm, but not dead. Forgive me, I didn't... I should have been more clear. But he forgave me, in the end, years later. Is the point." She smacked the heel of her hand against her forehead.

"Of course, I'll fill you in once that conversation's been had."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:54 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Senate Majority Leader Benjamin Hertzog's Office
Washington, DC

Walking swiftly the the Majority Leader's office, Rogers was nervous. He'd already gotten flak from his now former campaign manager over the phone about MARKET earlier that morning, and while he was anticipating another lecture about his maverick ways upon his arrival at Hertzog's office, it was certainly not something he was looking forward to. On top of that, he figured Hertzog would be pretty unhappy that Rogers and Vichter killed his amendment to the EFA.

William approached the secretary sitting at the entrance of the office and spoke up.

"Hey. I'm Senator William Rogers. Senator Hertzog requested that I meet him here after we adjourned the the Senate for the day."

Laying down the law was arguably one of the biggest reasons that Hertzog was hesitant to pursue a higher position in leadership for all those years. His style was much less confrontation and much more cooperation. Maybe it was just his personality, maybe it's just what happens when confrontation meant a higher chance of critical failure and cooperation meant a higher chance of getting to go up again in his previous career. Regardless, for the situation the Caucus found itself it, it'd be better that Hertzog were to met with the freshman Senator himself now rather than sicking the Whip or Obradovic on him or waiting for him to become an actual problem.

Not wanting to keep him waiting too long with his secretary, shortly after Roger's arrived Hertzog would open up the door to his private office. Upon walking in Rogers would find Hertzog standing off to the side at a Keurig waiting for his drink to finish brewing. Hearing him walk in, Hertzog turned around and calmly asked, "Senator Rogers, what brings you to my office this evening?"

William held out the note he had received from Hertzog earlier in the day.

"Good evening Senator. The note you sent earlier is what brings me to your office. I assume you have business you would like to discuss?"

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Velahor wrote:Bill felt some sympathy for her loss.

Caroline realizes immediately that Bill has misinterpreted what she said, and that she hadn't been clear. "Oh, no, Mr. Rogers, he's not dead. Permanently disabled in one arm, but not dead. Forgive me, I didn't... I should have been more clear. But he forgave me, in the end, years later. Is the point." She smacked the heel of her hand against her forehead.

"Of course, I'll fill you in once that conversation's been had."

Bill felt a bit dumb that he misinterpreted what she said, but to be fair, she wasn't completely clear. So he just said nothing about it.

"Great. We'll speak soon."

Bill Rogers hung up the phone and drove off back toward the herd.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse