NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine
paulson.house.gov | Presque Isle, ME

Fiscal responsibility is necessary in every part of our government, including the military. I cannot in good conscience support the Defense of the Pacific Act while America already spends more on its military than any other country, spends more on its military than the next 11 countries combined, and is 4th in defense spending per dollars of GDP.
Last edited by Velahor on Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:45 pm

Alozia wrote:
The Sarangtus Lands wrote:"Yes." He said, sounding much less canned than the first time around. "I hope to get your endorsement, as after all we share a great many views and an impression of unity would help us defeat the Republicans in the general."

"Hmmm." Joseph considered the Congressman's words carefully. "I'm flattered to know that you hold me in high regard, Congressman."

In all honesty, Joe was far from convinced that his endorsement would mean anything, but he decided not to dwell on that.

"We may have a lot in common, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't ask at least a couple of questions. Tell me - what do you wish to achieve in the Senate?"

"I wish to retain our majority as a matter of political pragmatism, but those are simply a wish to gain the means, rather than ends in and of themselves - Clifford gives us a good lesson of why we shouldn't ignore ends in favour of our means," He said, with an expression in his eyes as if recalling a strong memory, "What I want to do with that majority is to advance the progressive agenda, to get our children fed, our veterans housed, all the basic, humanitarian things that all decent Americans believe in. But obviously, that's sadly unlikely to happen. I want to use my platform in the Senate to not just to hold the line but also to help turn the tide on the Republicans and bring about a progressive revolution. I don't think I'll be some grand colossus bringing America to a brighter dawn or anything like that, I'm simply here for the good fight we've been fighting since we were young. I'm not sure, if I'm to be pragmatic, how much we could get done without the House, but I'll do all I can, and I'll do all I can to win back the House in my position as a Senator. If nothing else, trust me on my record. I've never relented where it matters. Not once."
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:12 pm

Dentali wrote:
Yaruqo wrote:-snip-

"Please share Congressman."

“The first issue is Afghanistan. I don’t know what you’re hearing from our intelligence and national security heads, but I can imagine that an American withdrawal might have some immediate or short-term impacts that destabilize the Government of Afghanistan. We are likely going to see an influx of refugees as a result, both asking for refuge within the US and within the wider Coalition. These Afghans, unless they’re applying for the Afghan SIV program, would have to be vetted, admitted, and resettled as refugees. I haven’t heard much with regards to your intentions for the refugee cap this year, however, if your intent was to increase the number of refugees that can be admitted to the United States, the Immigration and Nationality Act limits the number of refugees we can admit to 50,000, unless the President can justify the higher cap due to humanitarian concerns or if it is otherwise in the national interest.

“This leaves the various Refugee Admittance Program stakeholders and partners, from ORR to grassroots resettlement organizations, woefully underprepared whenever we do go above that cap. The Wolf Administration practically gutted the program, and by the time President Tawney was sworn in, it was too late to adjust the caps, even if he desired to. And of course, you’ve inherited that gutted RAP program. If Afghanistan falls to the Taliban, on top of all of the other pressing refugee crises the world is facing, we will see an influx of Afghans begging for safe harbor in the US. Human rights activists, women’s rights activists, political opponents, LGBTQ people, religious and ethnic minorities, and all their families no doubt. They’ll be targeted by the Taliban. We have to ensure that the RAP is prepared for that influx on top of the existing demands and queues we have for refugees that we are considering resettling into the US.

“Which brings me to the second problem. Congress can easily resolve this issue for both your Administration and future Administrations - and make the refugee admittance and resettlement processes more stable and better situated for 21st century crises. I introduced the American Promise Act for that very reason. We’re a large country, Mr. President, we have plenty of room and resources, and refugees have demonstrated over and over that they contribute to local economies that slumped due to recessions or automation. In fact, the RAP encourages entrepreneurship in refugee communities, and these ventures benefit both the refugees and the wider communities with jobs and an economic boost.

“But I digress. The second problem, quite frankly, is that this bill will not be allowed onto the House floor. The SIV bill very well could, especially if your Administration backs it, maybe gets a Republican or two to cosponsor it, at which point the Speaker would have to humor it. But Afghanistan is unstable, Mr. President. It doesn’t take a national security briefing to see that. I want to ensure that while we are taking care of the Afghan SIV applicants on one track, we aren’t leaving refugees at the mercy of the Taliban. I am willing to negotiate with regards to the American Promise Act, I just…I just want us to do the right thing.”
Last edited by Yaruqo on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Kargintinia wrote:
(Image)
Earl Tenson
@BigEarsWhip
tenson.house.gov | Baker, MT

One of the core tenants of Conservative values is maintaining a strong defense against any aggression towards our nation. In recent years it has become clear that there are real and present threats towards America in the Pacific region, thus it is crucial to make certain the Defense of the Pacific Act passes.-(1/2)

Guam is a part of our nation, and thus requires our full commitment to it’s defense. The Republican Party rejects any attempt to weaken our national security, and thus we will be putting our commitment behind this act and as Whip I will make absolutely sure it passes the House.-(2/2)

Liked and retweeted by @EverittRigbyColbert
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Newne Carriebean7 wrote:
(Image)
Maxine Durant
@MaxineDurant2
Durant.house.gov | Cedar Grove, MS
Excuse me if this sounds familiar, but I am confused as to why millions of dollars are being wasted on military toys for some sandbars in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? That's not to say we need a strong response against the threat of Chinese aggression, but a price tag of $7.4 billion seems excessive. (1/3)

I'm sure the American people would much rather prefer a more cheaper alternative that not only keeps the commie in check, but prevent more government waste by the military-industrial complex. (2/3)

Why not station a Destroyer Flotilla around the islands. It may cost in terms of supplies, the deployment of the warships and personnel, but it sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than billions of dollars just so the Pentagon can play with missiles in the middle of nowhere. At least an actual military presence would serve as a deterrent, I'd argue more-so than the Missiles! (3/3)

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Fiscal responsibility is necessary in every part of our government, including the military. I cannot in good conscience support the Defense of the Pacific Act while America already spends more on its military than any other country, spends more on its military than the next 11 countries combined, and is 4th in defense spending per dollars of GDP.

Utah Senator Everitt Rigby Colbert
@EverittRigbyColbert
colbert.senate.gov | Salt Lake City, Utah

The place you referred to as a sandbar is home to 168,000 American citizens who deserve the full protection of the United States military. The price tag of the bill is high, but not as high as the incalculable costs if, God forbid, a rouge state were to attack Guam and cause much avoidable death and suffering.

Every single penny in the Defense of the Pacific Act has a specific purpose that will make the defenses of America much stronger.

The main threat to Guam is not the naval forces of China or North Korea, but a missile or aerial attack that naval forces simply can't defend very well against. And those missile networks would constitute a very strong military presence that will make Beijing or Pyongyang think twice before messing with the American territory of Guam.

The cost of my proposed bill falls well short of the $27 billion requested by the military for the Indo-Pacific. And it costs far less than both the American Rescue Act and the Endless Frontier Act.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:28 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:Senator Eugene Obradovic
Washington, District of Columbia
Wednesday 3rd February, 2021

Gene paced a little in his office with a hum. Getting things done in a narrow Senate was tough business, and he had his difficulties with Senators across the aisle, especially newer ones who just didn't get the character of the institution. Progressive to his core, Gene nonetheless had gotten pretty used to how things worked. Not like these young bucks, who despite their years being greater than when he'd first joined the Senate in the 1970s, seemed to display a characteristic lack of tact. Deciding that his long term goals would be helped by taking one of them under his wing, even if he was one of O'Halleran's lads, Gene had his secretary send a note over to Senator Everitt Colbert's office:

Dear Senator Colbert,

Senator Obradovic would like to take lunch with you today if that's at all possible. Non-alcoholic drinks will be provided in line with your beliefs. If that's possible, please have your secretary reply to this office by 11am.

Yours,

Trinny Parker
Secretary, Office of Senator Eugene Obradovic

With that done, he looked through a list of things he could get in from a local restaurant. Chicken salad looked good... He kept these menus in a folder, preferring that to browsing on a computer.

Dear Senator Obradovic,
I am more than happy to have lunch with you to discuss the legislation currently working it's way through Congress. Where do you want to meet?

May God Bless You
Senator Everitt Colbert
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:31 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:
Dear Senator Obradovic,
I am more than happy to have lunch with you to discuss the legislation currently working it's way through Congress. Where do you want to meet?

May God Bless You
Senator Everitt Colbert

Dear Everitt,

My office works just fine, there's a great delicatessen that delivers straight to my office. Provided you've got no obvious allergies, I'll get a few things so you've got a choice, and the rest can go to my aides.

Yours,

Gene
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:
Newne Carriebean7 wrote:
(Image)
Maxine Durant
@MaxineDurant2
Durant.house.gov | Cedar Grove, MS
Excuse me if this sounds familiar, but I am confused as to why millions of dollars are being wasted on military toys for some sandbars in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? That's not to say we need a strong response against the threat of Chinese aggression, but a price tag of $7.4 billion seems excessive. (1/3)

I'm sure the American people would much rather prefer a more cheaper alternative that not only keeps the commie in check, but prevent more government waste by the military-industrial complex. (2/3)

Why not station a Destroyer Flotilla around the islands. It may cost in terms of supplies, the deployment of the warships and personnel, but it sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than billions of dollars just so the Pentagon can play with missiles in the middle of nowhere. At least an actual military presence would serve as a deterrent, I'd argue more-so than the Missiles! (3/3)

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Utah Senator Everitt Rigby Colbert
@EverittRigbyColbert
colbert.senate.gov | Salt Lake City, Utah

The place you referred to as a sandbar is home to 168,000 American citizens who deserve the full protection of the United States military. The price tag of the bill is high, but not as high as the incalculable costs if, God forbid, a rouge state were to attack Guam and cause much avoidable death and suffering.

Every single penny in the Defense of the Pacific Act has a specific purpose that will make the defenses of America much stronger.

The main threat to Guam is not the naval forces of China or North Korea, but a missile or aerial attack that naval forces simply can't defend very well against. And those missile networks would constitute a very strong military presence that will make Beijing or Pyongyang think twice before messing with the American territory of Guam.

The cost of my proposed bill falls well short of the $27 billion requested by the military for the Indo-Pacific. And it costs far less than both the American Rescue Act and the Endless Frontier Act.

Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Senator, that $27 billion is likely to be fulfilled in the actual defense budget. Your proposed spending is in addition to that amount. And it's apples-to-oranges to compare extra money spent on missiles (by the country with the most missiles in the world), to a relief bill designed to pull Americans out of an ongoing economic crisis.

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Joe Abrahms
@AbrahmsJoe
abrahms.house.gov | Trenton, NJ

Congresswoman Paulson and I have our fair share of disagreements, no doubt about that - but this is not one of them. As our country is engulfed by one of the worst crises it has ever seen, as ordinary Americans go hungry, without healthcare and jobs, we cannot afford to spend billions of dollars on additional military spending.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Alozia wrote:
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Joe Abrahms
@AbrahmsJoe
abrahms.house.gov | Trenton, NJ

Congresswoman Paulson and I have our fair share of disagreements, no doubt about that - but this is not one of them. As our country is engulfed by one of the worst crises it has ever seen, as ordinary Americans go hungry, without healthcare and jobs, we cannot afford to spend billions of dollars on additional military spending.

Liked and retweeted by @Diane4Maine

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:33 pm

@AbrahmsJoe retweeted
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Diane Paulson
@DianeForMaine

Senator, that $27 billion is likely to be fulfilled in the actual defense budget. Your proposed spending is in addition to that amount. And it's apples-to-oranges to compare extra money spent on missiles (by the country with the most missiles in the world), to a relief bill designed to pull Americans out of an ongoing economic crisis.

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:39 pm

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:
Alozia wrote:"Hmmm." Joseph considered the Congressman's words carefully. "I'm flattered to know that you hold me in high regard, Congressman."

In all honesty, Joe was far from convinced that his endorsement would mean anything, but he decided not to dwell on that.

"We may have a lot in common, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't ask at least a couple of questions. Tell me - what do you wish to achieve in the Senate?"

"I wish to retain our majority as a matter of political pragmatism, but those are simply a wish to gain the means, rather than ends in and of themselves - Clifford gives us a good lesson of why we shouldn't ignore ends in favour of our means," He said, with an expression in his eyes as if recalling a strong memory, "What I want to do with that majority is to advance the progressive agenda, to get our children fed, our veterans housed, all the basic, humanitarian things that all decent Americans believe in. But obviously, that's sadly unlikely to happen. I want to use my platform in the Senate to not just to hold the line but also to help turn the tide on the Republicans and bring about a progressive revolution. I don't think I'll be some grand colossus bringing America to a brighter dawn or anything like that, I'm simply here for the good fight we've been fighting since we were young. I'm not sure, if I'm to be pragmatic, how much we could get done without the House, but I'll do all I can, and I'll do all I can to win back the House in my position as a Senator. If nothing else, trust me on my record. I've never relented where it matters. Not once."

"That's certainly interesting." Joe responded, without much emotion. "I'm going to be honest, I don't see an ideological disagreement between us, which is reassuring."

"Now, what about your position as the Chair of the Progressive Caucus? If you're in it to win it, you won't be able to chair it anymore. And whether you win or lose, you'll still have to neglect your duties as the head of the caucus for a couple of months."

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:40 pm

To: Representative Diane Paulson (R-ME-2)

Representative Paulson, while House Republican Leadership is willing to overlook your opposition to the Defense of the Pacific Act, I must ask that you cease making arguments with Senator Everitt Colbert on social media in order help to maintain an image of a united Republican party.

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:50 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
The Orion Islands wrote:
Dear Senator Obradovic,

May God Bless You
Senator Everitt Colbert

Dear Everitt,

My office works just fine, there's a great delicatessen that delivers straight to my office. Provided you've got no obvious allergies, I'll get a few things so you've got a choice, and the rest can go to my aides.

Yours,

Gene

Dear Senator Obradovic,
I'm on my way.

May God Bless You,
Senator Everitt Colbert

Colbert proceeded to Obradovic's office, carrying with him a copy of the Defense of the Pacific Act.
He introduced himself to the secretary in the Illinoisian's (was that right?) office and waited to be let in.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:Colbert proceeded to Obradovic's office, carrying with him a copy of the Defense of the Pacific Act.
He introduced himself to the secretary in the Illinoisian's (was that right?) office and waited to be let in.

The Illinoisan's office was pretty bustling, at least the antechambers where casework and legislative business was being juggled. The President pro tempore enjoyed a larger staff for various procedural ends, and so it was busier than most. Still, Gene was stood with his cane in the door to the private section of his office with a trademark smile.

"Everitt, dear boy, come in. I'd offer you a drink but I've met more than enough colleagues of your faith to know that's not how you roll. Mineral water, orange juice, chocolate milk? There's a little fridge in here." He walked back into his office, heading towards the small minifridge behind his desk. On the coffee table by the couch, there were several plastic containers with various salads in them. Clearly laid out for Everitt to pick whichever he preferred.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:Colbert proceeded to Obradovic's office, carrying with him a copy of the Defense of the Pacific Act.

The Illinoisan's office was pretty bustling, at least the antechambers where casework and legislative business was being juggled. The President pro tempore enjoyed a larger staff for various procedural ends, and so it was busier than most. Still, Gene was stood with his cane in the door to the private section of his office with a trademark smile.

"Everitt, dear boy, come in. I'd offer you a drink but I've met more than enough colleagues of your faith to know that's not how you roll. Mineral water, orange juice, chocolate milk? There's a little fridge in here." He walked back into his office, heading towards the small minifridge behind his desk. On the coffee table by the couch, there were several plastic containers with various salads in them. Clearly laid out for Everitt to pick whichever he preferred.

"I'll take orange juice. Well, you got the majority, at least for now, and even if we win Wisconsin, a 50-50 split will still make you pretty important. So, it makes sense to talk to you. What is this one about?"
Everitt picks the chicken salad and looks it over before deciding that it was worth it.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:59 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"I'll take orange juice. Well, you got the majority, at least for now, and even if we win Wisconsin, a 50-50 split will still make you pretty important. So, it makes sense to talk to you. What is this one about?"
Everitt picks the chicken salad and looks it over before deciding that it was worth it.

Fetching an orange juice from the fridge for Everitt and a chocolate milk for himself, he settled down with a steak salad in a large chair by the coffee table, gesturing to the couch for the other to take a seat. "You've only been here a couple of years and I just felt you might benefit from knowing you had a friend from the opposite side of the aisle who you can talk to when the internal politics of it all gets up to your eyebrows and all. I wanted to have a chit-chat about your proposed amendment to my housing bill, true, but more than that, I was curious to see how you've found the last couple of years and how you're settling in."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Kargintinia wrote:
To: Representative Diane Paulson (R-ME-2)

Representative Paulson, while House Republican Leadership is willing to overlook your opposition to the Defense of the Pacific Act, I must ask that you cease making arguments with Senator Everitt Colbert on social media in order help to maintain an image of a united Republican party.

To: Representative Earl Tenson (earl@tenson.house.gov)
From: Representative Diane Paulson (diane@paulson.house.gov)
Subject: Twitter posts

Representative Tenson,

I understand. My sole reply to him was sufficient in my mind. I did not plan to engage with Colbert any further on social media over this bill. I'm sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience.

Regards,

Diane Jeanette Paulson (Harbour)
Congresswoman from Maine's Second District
Chair of the House Oversight & Reform Committee
GOP Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on Women's Issues

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:13 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"I'll take orange juice. Well, you got the majority, at least for now, and even if we win Wisconsin, a 50-50 split will still make you pretty important. So, it makes sense to talk to you. What is this one about?"

Fetching an orange juice from the fridge for Everitt and a chocolate milk for himself, he settled down with a steak salad in a large chair by the coffee table, gesturing to the couch for the other to take a seat. "You've only been here a couple of years and I just felt you might benefit from knowing you had a friend from the opposite side of the aisle who you can talk to when the internal politics of it all gets up to your eyebrows and all. I wanted to have a chit-chat about your proposed amendment to my housing bill, true, but more than that, I was curious to see how you've found the last couple of years and how you're settling in."

"The last couple of years have been bizarre. The President died of cancer. Your party put up someone who clearly couldn't handle leadership. China launched an economic crisis. Now we have a nutcase from Mississippi who apparently cares more about negative headlines than doing any work. So, you know the usual in two years in the swamp. The statehouse in Salt Lake was far less... colorful, but it got stuff done. But about my amendment to the BUILD Act, I'm not opposed to housing. We need more housing, not just in Chicago, but in small towns too. Have you seen the cost of housing in Park City? It's insane. My amendment was an attempt to ensure that all states could get a decent benefit. I wanted to try and mollify Freyer a little bit, by promising her state quite a decent chunk of change. So sorry for the long winded reply, but there was a lot that needed said."
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"The last couple of years have been bizarre. The President died of cancer. Your party put up someone who clearly couldn't handle leadership. China launched an economic crisis. Now we have a nutcase from Mississippi who apparently cares more about negative headlines than doing any work. So, you know the usual in two years in the swamp. The statehouse in Salt Lake was far less... colorful, but it got stuff done. But about my amendment to the BUILD Act, I'm not opposed to housing. We need more housing, not just in Chicago, but in small towns too. Have you seen the cost of housing in Park City? It's insane. My amendment was an attempt to ensure that all states could get a decent benefit. I wanted to try and mollify Freyer a little bit, by promising her state quite a decent chunk of change. So sorry for the long winded reply, but there was a lot that needed said."

"Ah... Maxine Durant. I've seen her type come and go. I mean, there were still Dixiecrats in the Senate back in my day. The trick is not to give them the airspace and attention they so desperately crave," The elder man nodded sagely at that, taking a few bites of salad before continuing with the rest.

"I understand the purpose of your amendment, I'm not necessarily hostile to it, it's more that I think it's not worded quite in the way you necessarily intend it to be. Iowa and Utah have about the same population according to the last census, so under your terms, they'd get about the same money. But Utah has more homeless peeps than Iowa, so dividing it by population isn't fair on Utah. So going by proportion of homeless rather than population is probably better."

"I see this missile thing on Guam is very much your baby right now."
Neoliberal

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"The last couple of years have been bizarre. The President died of cancer. Your party put up someone who clearly couldn't handle leadership. China launched an economic crisis. Now we have a nutcase from Mississippi who apparently cares more about negative headlines than doing any work. So, you know the usual in two years in the swamp. The statehouse in Salt Lake was far less... colorful, but it got stuff done. But about my amendment to the BUILD Act, I'm not opposed to housing. We need more housing, not just in Chicago, but in small towns too. Have you seen the cost of housing in Park City? It's insane. My amendment was an attempt to ensure that all states could get a decent benefit. I wanted to try and mollify Freyer a little bit, by promising her state quite a decent chunk of change. So sorry for the long winded reply, but there was a lot that needed said."

"Ah... Maxine Durant. I've seen her type come and go. I mean, there were still Dixiecrats in the Senate back in my day. The trick is not to give them the airspace and attention they so desperately crave," The elder man nodded sagely at that, taking a few bites of salad before continuing with the rest.

"I understand the purpose of your amendment, I'm not necessarily hostile to it, it's more that I think it's not worded quite in the way you necessarily intend it to be. Iowa and Utah have about the same population according to the last census, so under your terms, they'd get about the same money. But Utah has more homeless peeps than Iowa, so dividing it by population isn't fair on Utah. So going by proportion of homeless rather than population is probably better."

"I see this missile thing on Guam is very much your baby right now."

"I understand about the wording, that is a change that could soon be made. I hear the White House isn't really opposed to BUILD, but they want ARA and Endless Frontier to pass. But, I do have the Defense of the Pacific Act for you to look over."
Everitt pulls out the bill and hands it to the pro tempore.
Defense of the Pacific Act

A BILL
To Better Provide For The Defense of Americans in the Pacific

Sponsor: Everitt Colbert
Senate Sponsors:
House Sponsors: Caroline Simone, Earl Tenson

Total Expense: $7,400,000,000

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "Defense of the Pacific Act".

SECTION 2: Air Defense of Guam
    The United States Department of Defense is hereby appropriated $1,600,000,000 for the construction of a 360 degree persistent and integrated air defense system in the United States Territory of Guam.

SECTION 3: Complementary Air Defense Radar
    The air defense system in Guam authorized by section 2 is to be served and complimented by a high frequency radar system in Palau, with the Department of Defense being appropriated $200,000,000 for this system.

SECTION 4: Space Based Radar Systems
    The United States Space Force is hereby appropriated $2,300,000,000 for the construction and operations of space based radar systems to provide a first warning of any attacks on the United States, and in particular, Guam and its other Pacific possessions.

SECTION 5: Ground Based Missile Systems
    The United States Department of Defense is hereby appropriated $3,300,000,000 for the construction and operations of ground based, long range missile fires with ranges in excess of 500 kilometers to make up highly survivable, precision strike networks along the First Island Chain. Such missile systems shall include both surface-to-surface and surface-to-air capabilities.

"I've gotten some pretty good support for it so far, and Richardson wanted me to head this up. It's an indirect challenge to China, to make Guam's defenses stronger. Would this be on the Senate agenda anytime soon?'"
Last edited by The Orion Islands on Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:32 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"I understand about the wording, that is a change that could soon be made. I hear the White House isn't really opposed to BUILD, but they want ARA and Endless Frontier to pass. But, I do have the Defense of the Pacific Act for you to look over."
(Image)

A BILL

Senate Sponsors:

The United States Department of Defense is hereby appropriated $1,600,000,000 for the construction of a 360 degree persistent and integrated air defense system in the United States Territory of Guam.

The air defense system in Guam authorized by section 2 is to be served and complimented by a high frequency radar system in Palau, with the Department of Defense being appropriated $200,000,000 for this system.

The United States Space Force is hereby appropriated $2,300,000,000 for the construction and operations of space based radar systems to provide a first warning of any attacks on the United States, and in particular, Guam and its other Pacific possessions.

The United States Department of Defense is hereby appropriated $3,300,000,000 for the construction and operations of ground based, long range missile fires with ranges in excess of 500 kilometers to make up highly survivable, precision strike networks along the First Island Chain. Such missile systems shall include both surface-to-surface and surface-to-air capabilities.

"I've gotten some pretty good support for it so far, and Richardson wanted me to head this up. It's an indirect challenge to China, to make Guam's defenses stronger. Would this be on the Senate agenda anytime soon?'"

"Mm, I took a look over it when it was submitted to the Senate. I'm not a big guy on military spending. I don't like war. But I appreciate a defensive need. It'll probably come up on the agenda in due time, but that'll be difficult if BUILD doesn't pass the Senate. We'll be taking that off the table once the ARA's passed. So provided there's no hiccups, your bill will probably be before the Senate in good time."
Neoliberal

The Orion Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:45 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"I understand about the wording, that is a change that could soon be made. I hear the White House isn't really opposed to BUILD, but they want ARA and Endless Frontier to pass. But, I do have the Defense of the Pacific Act for you to look over."
(Image)

A BILL

Senate Sponsors:

"Mm, I took a look over it when it was submitted to the Senate. I'm not a big guy on military spending. I don't like war. But I appreciate a defensive need. It'll probably come up on the agenda in due time, but that'll be difficult if BUILD doesn't pass the Senate. We'll be taking that off the table once the ARA's passed. So provided there's no hiccups, your bill will probably be before the Senate in good time."

"Alright, anything else you want to discuss?"
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:47 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:"Alright, anything else you want to discuss?"

"What do you think about this meat business that's taking up time in the House? I rather like being sure about what I'm putting in my mouth." As if to punctuate the point, Gene ate a strip of steak from his salad.
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Inside of a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss
I-395 N
Between Fairfax, VA and Washington, DC

”…wanna get to heaven gotta D-I-E / you gotta put on your coat and T-I-E / wanna get the rabbit out the L-O-G / gotta make a commotion like a D-O-G…”

Cody Jinks’s hard rock cover of the old country hit “Waymore’s Blues” blasted through the speakers of William Rogers’s single-cab Chevy Trail Boss truck. With his pedal to the floor weaving through DC traffic, he was running late for his morning meetings. In one hand he held a Red Bull, and he steered with the other.

He was feeling the groove of the music and was disappointed that the good vibes were interrupted by his phone’s ringtone playing over the truck’s speakers. He pushed the call answering button on the radio touchscreen.

“Hello. Senator Rogers speaking.”

On the other end of the line, he heard a voice that he hadn’t since the campaign. It was his old campaign manager…and he was unhappy.

“What the f*ck is this MARKET bill?”

Rogers tried to come up with some words but couldn’t find them.

The campaign manager continued.

“Come on…you’re not f*cking stupid…you f*cking know where all the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association gets all there money from…all their donations come from the big packing companies you’re hurting. I’ve got board members on the phone with me completely p*ssed off and vowing to pull all the campaign funds you’re getting in 2022! Seriously…where do you get off doing that?”

William was silent on the line. The campaign manager shouted again.

“So…do you have anything to say for yourself?!”

Rogers was still silent for a bit. Then he spoke up, nervously, caught off-guard.

“Do you know how many farmers and ranchers wanted this bill though? I’m not doing this for the NCBA, I’m doing this for regular folks. I’ve spent the past couple years sitting around voting yay and nay however the f*ck these big donors want…and I’m sick of it. I’m godd*mn sick of it.”

Rogers wasn’t expecting honesty to pour of him, but somehow, it happened. And it was true. He was sick of doing all the bidding for these donors. And he’d promised to do something like MARKET when he was on the campaign trail. He felt obligated to keep that promise.

He continued explaining himself to the enraged campaign manager.

“I made a promise to look after Montana’s farmers and ranchers. That’s the promise that got me elected to office. I could care less about the intricacies of ag politics, and that all the organizations that purportedly support farmers are funded by these big packing companies. I’m going to support the bills that help out the people. More importantly, I’ll support any bill I’d like.”

The campaign manager on the other line was furious.

“You shouldn’t be out here pandering to your cowboy buddies back home who want meat deregulation, you should be groveling at the feet of the big donors that got you here, the guys who benefit from those regulations you’re trying to repeal. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS LITERALLY BREAKS YOUR ENTIRE FUNDRAISING STRUCTURE???”

Rogers, trying to remain calm, replied.

“That’s not even true. I had a lot of small donors, and a lot of the Baharia people and not-Messina’s people. Trust me, I’ve done plenty that these ag lobbyists like, and this one bill isn’t going to change their minds on me. And if it does, I think I’ll be okay.”

Chuck, the campaign manager, wasn’t buying it.

“That sh*t is chump change compared what the ag lobby brings. You’re the one who needs to be trusting me…you don’t want to upset these guys.”

William wasn’t one to be bullied or intimidated. In fact, he’d stood up to plenty of people who were trying to manipulate him before. He was an attorney with a spine, despite the common “spineless lawyer” jokes.

“You’re not my campaign manager anymore.”

Chuck replied, “I know, the election ended years ago. Your point? I'm just here to give you advice.”

William snapped back, “no, I mean you’re no longer on the 2024 campaign.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“Sure I do, just watch me.”

William hit the button on the screen to hang up the phone, and pulled into the Congressional office building parking garage.

Meanwhile, in the living room of the main house
Lazy R Ranch
Near Twin Bridges, Montana

Bill Rogers Jr., William’s estranged father, paced around the large log home’s living room with a copy of the Western Ag Reporter in hand. His son hadn’t spoken with him in almost 20 years, and hadn’t even let Bill or William’s mother meet their grandchildren.

The wounds of their long-standing feud were deep, but it was always assumed that the feud was stagnant and nobody was actually hurting the other anymore. But whether he knew it or not, William’s support of the so-called MARKET Act was putting Bill in a world of hurt. A rather powerful man in his own right, Bill would not

His cell phone on the coffee table rang, and he saw the name “Chuck Simonson” on the screen. He answered it.

“Chuck…long time no talk. Any luck with the kid?”

The exasperated Chuck, having just got off the phone with the younger Rogers, was livid.

“Bill…we’re in deep sh*t. He just booted me from the ’24 campaign. There’s no convincing him to get off the bill.”

Bill muttered a string of expletives under his breath.

“Then let him lose. A bunch of the big groups and donors from the business side of ag who backed him will drop out anyway when they see this. I’m the only reason they got on board with him in the first place. I can make some calls, tell them that my son has been tainted by Washington and can no longer be trusted, it won’t be hard.”

Chuck didn’t think that Bill understood the depth of the situation.

“Bill…listen to me. You secretly funded your estranged son’s campaign for Senate without his knowledge and planted people in his campaign and office staff to control his votes. Sure, we can just drop him on a dime like that, but you’ll look like a fool. That NCBA board seat that you’re looking for sure as heck won’t be yours. How can they trust you to serve their interests when your son pulls this stuff? We have to disrupt what he is doing NOW, you got it?”

Bill rubbed his balding head and then put his cowboy hat back on.

“Chuck…I told you that he was a loose cannon. I told you that you would need to come alongside the boy and gently guide him toward deciding in our interests. I trusted you that you could find the people to control him. Him managing to get on the co-sponsor line of that MARKET bill means you failed to do your job.”

“I also trusted you that you would never, under any condition, let William find out that I had anything to do with the funding of his campaign. You know as well as I do that the boy hates his parents. If he knew that I bankrolled his campaign, he’s headstrong enough that he’d give up his Senate seat just to spite me. Please…tell me you didn’t fail me on that one…”

Chuck replied, “I didn’t, but without me on his team, I don’t know if we’ve managed to get somebody else in his office who we can trust to steer him in the right direction.”

“The kid is all off on his ‘for the people’ kick. Give him a few days and he’ll cool off and realize who got him into this office. Not the little guy farms and ranches he said he loved in that article in the Ag Rag, but the big guys that got him elected and that you’re in bed with deeper than anyone I know. You tell your guys at Tyson and the NCBA to hold off on pulling their support until we can get to him.”

“Don’t blame me…I’m not even in Washington. Blame the people that we surrounded him with who obviously failed to convince him that this deregulation thing was a bad idea when it came to donors.”

Bill wasn’t having it.

“Listen up. It’s not my job to get him under control, that’s what I pay you for. You’ll do your job, and you’ll get him under control. Fly to DC and meet with him if you have to. I’ll make sure you never work for another campaign in this state again if you don’t, you two-faced weasel!”

Bill hung up on Chuck, who now had the honor of being hung up on by his second William Rogers of the day.

Bill then continued pacing, and turned C-SPAN on the TV to watch the introduction of the bill in the House.

It might be too late to stop his son from supporting the MARKET Act. It’s not like he could call him and directly tell him to stop, he didn’t even have William’s phone number these days. But the disrespectful kid would learn his lesson, and get back in line with the demands of the donors. Bill would make sure of it.

Had Bill been a less narcissistic man, he might recognize that it was his own meddling, his own secretive fundraising with the agricultural lobby for his son’s campaign, that caused him to be made a fool of. But in reality, he blamed his son in full for the hardship this was going to cause Bill with his allies in the ag lobby.
Last edited by Velahor on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse