NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Senator William Rogers III
@WSRIIISenate
rogers.senate.gov | Bozeman, MT

The MARKET Act will ensure food safety, open up state-inspected beef to the interstate market, give internships to college agriculture and agribusiness students interested in meat inspection, let small custom slaughter businesses sell their beef locally, and put profits in the hands of farmers and ranchers rather than bureaucrats and big packing companies. Its passage would be a huge victory not just for cattle producers, but also for Americans trying to afford to feed their families. See my featured op-ed in the Western Ag Reporter at the link below:
www.westernagreporter.com/oped/RogersMARKET

OPINION: Congress can level the playing field for small farmers
Billings, Montana
By: Senator William S. Rogers III (D-MT)

Congress has an unprecedented opportunity to pass a bipartisan bill that could provide real and lasting benefits to thousands of small farmers and millions of consumers across America.

The bill, the Meat Access, Regulation, Knowledge, and Ethical Treatment Act (“MARKET Act”), would level the playing field for small farmers around the country who raise cattle, pigs, and sheep for human consumption.

States have been prohibited from setting their own inspection rules since Congress passed the Wholesome Meat Act in 1967. Under that law, USDA inspectors or state inspectors enforcing regulations at least equal to USDA rules are present whenever animals are being slaughtered or processed.

“Ranchers like me always have known the fragility of our food supply,” says Cassandra Jones, who runs a family enterprise with her husband near Malta, Montana. “We always knew deliveries could be shut off within 48 hours, and meat cases could be empty.”

I grew up on the Lazy R Ranch in Twin Bridges, Montana. My family, and many of the other cattle ranchers I know, have often been approached by consumers looking for locally-sourced beef. Due to the USDA’s strict rules that criminalize the sale of meat processed at small slaughterhouses, ranchers have to turn away people who want to buy local beef post-slaughter, rather than arranging processing at a local, state-regulated facility.

If ranchers want to sell anything, they must transport their livestock to centralized feedlots and processing facilities often hundreds of miles away. Besides creating stress for animals and wasting resources, the long journey pulls workers away from daily chores. “I feel fortunate that I only have to drive 150 miles,” Jones says.

Under the MARKET Act, the USDA would maintain its undisputed regulatory authority over the slaughter and sale of meat across state lines. The MARKET Act would simply provide states with the option to regulate livestock slaughter and sale within their borders, and allows state-regulated facilities to engage in the interstate sale of meat if provided a certificate to do so by the USDA.

Critics rightly complain that the agency’s one-size-fits-all rules often act to the detriment of small producers. But other problems are also evident. According to USDA data analyzed by the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, a nonprofit group that advocates for the rights of small farmers and their customers, slaughterhouse consolidation spurred by the Wholesome Meat Act is responsible for closing more than 7,000 of the 10,000 facilities that existed in 1967, the year the law was passed.

What’s more, though America’s food supply is remarkably safe today, the current USDA inspection system is plagued with problems. In 2007, the USDA was forced to admit its inspectors had failed to perform regular inspections at many facilities for at least three decades. More recently, the agency ordered nearly 9 million pounds of meat to be destroyed after a USDA-approved slaughterhouse was found to have processed cows that suffered from eye cancer.

Many states are willing to operate their own inspection systems. Already, more than half of the states operate their own inspection facilities under rules that are at least as strict as those the USDA requires. Demand for the specific reforms offered by the MARKET Act is evident, too, in many states.

For example, though a bipartisan Wyoming law passed in 2015 deregulated local food production inside state borders. In 2017, Maine passed a similar law that allows cities and towns to regulate local food sales inside their borders. But neither state’s law applies to meat, and since adopting their respective laws both Wyoming and Maine have faced threats from the USDA over the issue of meat processing and sales.

In addition to the USDA, large, powerful interest groups that represent big meat producers oppose the MARKET Act. Though they’ve couched their arguments against the bill in dire predictions about its potential to impact food safety, those food-safety fears are as disingenuous as they are unsupported by evidence. In reality, these large meat producer lobby groups and their members fear competition from smaller competitors.

The fact is, corporations Tyson, Cargill, JBS, and National Beef dominate more than 80% of the US meat market. In 2019, a slaughterhouse fire in Kansas wiped out over 5% of US beef production overnight. The current regulatory scheme around meat production has created a centralized industry where the effects of food contamination and supply shortage are highly exacerbated. For both greater food security and providing better, healthier, locally-grown meat options, the MARKET Act delivers.

In fact, passage of the MARKET Act could usher in important improvements in food safety. For example, by reversing decades of consolidation, the growing number of slaughterhouses competing for farmer dollars would likely give farmers more opportunities to shop around and partner only with slaughter facilities that maximize their values and that champion food safety. 

In a time of growing partisan divide, the MARKET Act is a bipartisan solution to a decades-old problem created by Congress itself. Republicans, like co-sponsors Diane Paulson (R-ME), Thomas Volker (R-MO), and Earl Tenson (R-MT) support the MARKET Act because they find federal regulations intrusive and cumbersome. Democrats like myself support the MARKET Act because the bill would help local farmers and ranchers, particularly those who raise grass-fed beef, compete with larger producers. And everyone, no matter party, should support this bill to allow more variety and competition in the meatpacking marketplace.

Americans are eating more meat than ever. They’re also rediscovering the joys of eating locally produced foods. The MARKET Act would help farmers better meet these intertwined consumer demands.

The nonprofit Institute for Justice, a public-interest law firm that fights for economic liberty, has joined the campaign urging lawmakers to pass the MARKET Act. The bill makes sense under any circumstance, but especially during the current economic crisis.

Custom slaughterhouses that were busy before the economic downturn are now booked months in advance. Some ranchers can’t get appointments until July 2022. The backlog shows high demand for local meat processing, but neighborhood butchers do not step in to fill the gap due to onerous regulations that punish small operations.

“There are not enough butchers because of regulations,” says Dena Hoffman, a farmer and sheep rancher from Glendive, Montana. “Passing the MARKET Act would help reverse the trend.”

As more custom slaughterhouses opened, ranchers who currently lack a Plan B would have alternatives — a much better solution than euthanizing millions of animals because they have nowhere to go. Even without the risk of supply chain disruption, consumers like knowing where their food comes from. And due to the MARKET Act’s provision that custom slaughterhouses still meet the requirements of periodic USDA inspections, we can trust that our food will be slaughtered in a manner that meets the highest ethical standards.

Something powerful happens when buyers and sellers meet face to face. Food becomes more than a commodity. It connects people to each other and the land.

MARKET Act opponents cite hypothetical health concerns, but farmers point to real-world evidence that custom-exempt slaughterhouses are safe. In response to a public records request from the Farm & Ranch Freedom Alliance, the USDA reported zero cases of foodborne illness at custom slaughterhouses in at least the past eight years.

Many consumers paid little attention to meat distribution prior to this year, but the economic downturn provided a wakeup call. People with new awareness must act. A good place to start would be reaching out to their representatives in the U.S. House and Senate, urging support for the MARKET Act.

Ranchers have sufficient meat for every home. What they need are more slaughterhouses. We can ensure that the plentiful supply of meat from America's farmers and ranchers can reach the tables of American families safely and affordably with the passage of the MARKET Act.
Last edited by Velahor on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Louisianan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Linda Lazare
@LLazareTX

I'm so happy and excited that @Diane4Maine has decided to join me in the fight for our nation's PSOs, and Prescription Drug Patients! I hope the official label of 'Bipartisan' can convince Republican leaders to give HPPSOAR and PDPD time on the agenda and floor!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:20 am

Yaruqo wrote:Oliver Miller
Washington, District of Columbia
5:00 A.M.
February 1st, 2021

By 6:30, Miller had showered and suited up and was on the Metro towards the Capitol. He would make a pit stop at his office and the Capitol Cafeteria, sneaking a coffee and a few donuts away from the well-meaning but frightful gaze of his Chief of Staff, Andrea (she was a bit of a fitness freak when she wasn't strolling through the halls of Congress and managing the DC and district offices). After spending some time on the House floor and courteously introducing himself to a family of constituents who had shown up for a tour of the Capitol building, it was time to go to the White House, wondering all the while what to expect from this President.

"Congressman its a pleasure" Richardson said shaking the man's hand and introducing him to Bob Abernathy his Chief of Staff "Its a goal of mine to get facetime with as many members of the legislature as possible going forward, so i'm happy we could make this work so soon after the session began."
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:52 am

Miller accepted Richardson’s hand and returned the handshake, likewise shaking hands with Abernathy. “Thank you, Mr. President, Mr. Abernathy. I’m just glad we finally had a moment to speak. Though I hope you’ll forgive me the momentary sense of awe, your two predecessors had…issues with my being in the Oval, this is the first time I’ve been invited to the White House and not just visiting as a tourist.” As the three settled in, Oliver opened his briefcase. “So, Afghanistan. Unfortunately, I do not sit on any committees privy to national security, so I’m sure we cannot discuss the matter openly, but I do take it that, generally speaking, the situation there is not ideal at the present moment?”
Last edited by Yaruqo on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:11 am

New Cobastheia wrote:
Jovuistan wrote:"Unless my vote is absolutely needed for you to pass, I'll vote present for the sake of appearances. Simone still has plenty of pull despite losing her leadership spot as far as I can tell, so I have faith you can get her on your side. I'm happy Nate saw the potential in you, I was worried you were gonna be left out to dry."

A waiter came to take their order.

"I'll have a Luberoz Spritz to drink and the Free-Rand Chicken Paillard with a side of the Roasted Rainbow Carrots and Sweet Potatoes," Eliza ordered in a far more formal tone than she'd normally take on in causal meeting.

Once Junior ordered his meal and the waiter walked away Eliza continued, "I was worried about it, nearly took the whole transition to figure out what job we could both work with me taking, but it is nice to not be left out in the rain. Any plans for some bills yet?"

"The immediate first thing I'm thinking of is paid maternity leave. Should be fairly easy to pass with Dem support. I'm also looking into some sort of healthcare reform, but I'd obviously have to consult Nate on that. I just hope things go smoothly. The caucus seems a bit more... how do I put this politely? They're more eccentric compared to last Congress." He started eating his Atlantic Salmon.
Die nasty!!111

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:20 am

Yaruqo wrote:Miller accepted Richardson’s hand and returned the handshake, likewise shaking hands with Abernathy. “Thank you, Mr. President, Mr. Abernathy. I’m just glad we finally had a moment to speak. Though I hope you’ll forgive me the momentary sense of awe, your two predecessors had…issues with my being in the Oval, this is the first time I’ve been invited to the White House and not just visiting as a tourist.” As the three settled in, Oliver opened his briefcase. “So, Afghanistan. Unfortunately, I do not sit on any committees privy to national security, so I’m sure we cannot discuss the matter openly, but I do take it that, generally speaking, the situation there is not ideal at the present moment?”

"I'll say that whatever assessment you have of the situation based on the news and the past 20 years is accurate. Our position their is roughyl sustainable but is partly contingent on an agreement previous administrations signed in 2020 (OOC: Not 100% sure if it was a Tawney or a Wolf treaty). Regardless we have made a commitment to a number of Afghanis regarding bringing them to America, and I want to make sure they get taken care of regardless of timetables."

Yaruqo
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaruqo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:04 am

Dentali wrote:
Yaruqo wrote:Miller accepted Richardson’s hand and returned the handshake, likewise shaking hands with Abernathy. “Thank you, Mr. President, Mr. Abernathy. I’m just glad we finally had a moment to speak. Though I hope you’ll forgive me the momentary sense of awe, your two predecessors had…issues with my being in the Oval, this is the first time I’ve been invited to the White House and not just visiting as a tourist.” As the three settled in, Oliver opened his briefcase. “So, Afghanistan. Unfortunately, I do not sit on any committees privy to national security, so I’m sure we cannot discuss the matter openly, but I do take it that, generally speaking, the situation there is not ideal at the present moment?”

"I'll say that whatever assessment you have of the situation based on the news and the past 20 years is accurate. Our position their is roughly sustainable but is partly contingent on an agreement previous administrations signed in 2020 (OOC: Not 100% sure if it was a Tawney or a Wolf treaty). Regardless we have made a commitment to a number of Afghanis regarding bringing them to America, and I want to make sure they get taken care of regardless of timetables."

“Yes, which I suppose brings us to the bill I’ve been drafting regarding Afghan visas.” Miller was still on guard, and he opted not to opine too much in front of a Republican president. He pulled a manilla envelope out of his briefcase, inside were three copies of his ALLIES Act:

Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021

A BILL
To amend the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 to expedite the special immigrant visa process for certain Afghan allies, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Representative Oliver Miller of Kansas (D)
Senate Sponsors:
House Sponsors:

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021" or as the "ALLIES Act of 2021".

SECTION 2: IMPROVING AFGHAN SPECIAL IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRAM.
    (a) Evidence of Serious Threat.—Section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended in subparagraph (A)(iv), by striking “has experienced or is experiencing” and inserting “has asserted a credible basis for concern about the possibility of”; by striking subparagraph (E); and by redesignating subparagraph (F) as subparagraph (E).

(b) Activities for United States military personnel stationed With International Security Assistance or Successor Force.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(II)(bb) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by striking “sensitive and trusted”.

(c) Afghans employed subject to a grant or cooperative agreement.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(I) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by inserting after “United States Government” the following “, including employment or other work in Afghanistan through a cooperative agreement or grant funded by the United States Government if the Secretary of State determines, based on a recommendation from the Federal agency or organization authorizing such funding, that such alien contributed to the United States mission in Afghanistan”.

(d) Eliminating duplicative processing requirements.—Section 602(b) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended—(1) in paragraph (1)—(A) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by striking “, notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of State in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security” and inserting “the Secretary of State”; and (B) in subparagraph (A), by striking “a petition for classification under section 203(b)(4) of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(b)(4))” and inserting “a request for such status in accordance with procedures established by the Secretary of Homeland Security and Secretary of State”; and (2) in paragraph (2)—(A) in subparagraph (A)(ii), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”; and (B) in subparagraph (D)(i), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”.

(e) Strengthening protections for surviving spouses and children.—Subparagraph (C) of section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended to read as follows: (C) SURVIVING SPOUSE OR CHILD.—An alien is described in this subparagraph if—(i) the alien was the spouse or child of a principal alien described in subparagraph (A) who had submitted a request for classification pursuant to this section or a petition pursuant to section 1059 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 which included the alien as an accompanying spouse or child; and (ii) such request or petition—(I) if approved, was revoked (or otherwise rendered null) due to the death of the principal alien; or (II) if pending, is otherwise approvable but for the death of the principal alien.”.

(f) Applicability.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to any requests for special immigration status, applications for special immigrant visas, or applications for adjustment of status under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 that are pending on the date of the enactment of this Act or filed on or after such date.

(g) Rule of construction.—The amendments made by this section shall not diminish, replace or override any vetting, verification of employment, approval by chief of mission, or any other screening process required for a special immigrant visa under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009.

SECTION 3: AFGHAN ALLIES PROTECTION ACT.
    Section 602(b)(3) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by adding at the end the following: “(G) SUBSEQUENT FISCAL YEARS.—Beginning on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph, in addition to any unused balance under this paragraph, 8,000 principal aliens may be granted special immigrant status under this subsection. For purposes of status provided under this subparagraph the authority to issue visas or adjust status shall commence on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph and shall terminate on the date such visa numbers are exhausted.”.

“This particular matter was brought up to me by a Kansan immigration nonprofit - yes, Mr. President, we do have those, at least in my part of the state. Some of the biggest problems have been the hurdles we placed within the Afghan Allies Protection Act that was passed in 2009. In that legislation, we stated that only those Afghans who have experienced a serious threat due to their work with the US or NATO missions could qualify for a SIV. This also has grimly led to another issue: sometimes an applicant for the SIV program…doesn’t survive their encounter with said threat. The legislation currently leaves the accompanying spouse and eligible children in limbo, where they likely face the same threat as their murdered family member by association, but do not qualify for a SIV because they did not work with or were contracted with the US or NATO missions.

“My bill would expand the qualification basis to those who provide us a credible basis for concern about the possibility of a threat related to their work or contract with the US or NATO missions, and it allows for the spouse and children of a principal applicant to remain eligible to receive a visa under the Afghan SIV program even if the principle passes away before the application is approved - under current legislation, they would only be eligible if the application was approved before the principal applicant passed away. Additionally, it adds on an additional 8,000 SIVs for principal aliens - accompanying spouses and children do not count toward that limit, and finally, for applicants who have performed or are performing duties for US personnel with a NATO mission, it eliminates the requirement that the duties performed qualify as sensitive and trusted duties. In short, Mr. President, this bill eases the process for Afghan applicants and their families, and it clarifies existing law and processes for the federal government.”

Miller took a breath and a sip of water after his long winded breakdown of the bill. “However, there are two problems, Mr. President. Perhaps you and Mr. Abernathy might be inclined to hear me out?”
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - Twilight’s Last Gleaming

Слава Україні!
Glory to Ukraine!

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 am

Dentali wrote:"With benefits from previous relief bills expiring in early march is the President confident the ARA will pass prior to their expiration?"

"The Administration has every confidence that the ARA will pass before the deadline. The President's fostered broad bipartisan cooperation to that end, and will continue to work with leaders of both parties diligently to end the crisis."

The Orion Islands wrote:"What is the White House's opinion on the behavior of Mississippi Republican Representative Maxine Durant?"

There's a brief chuckle from Bryan.

"The White House doesn't think about Maxine Durant, which I think sums up her position relatively succinctly, don't you?"
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:12 am

Louisianan wrote:
(Image)
Linda Lazare
@LLazareTX

I'm so happy and excited that @Diane4Maine has decided to join me in the fight for our nation's PSOs, and Prescription Drug Patients! I hope the official label of 'Bipartisan' can convince Republican leaders to give HPPSOAR and PDPD time on the agenda and floor!

Liked and retweeted by @HugoFitzgeraldTX

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 am

Congresswoman Abigail Jekyll-Jones
@RepJekyllJones
jekylljones.house.gov | Klamath Falls, OR

The inefficient management of vast tracts of land by the Federal Government is injurious to the health of our country and our economy, not to mention a violation of the principle of equal dignity of the States as expressed by the - (1/3)

- Supreme Court. Western States often have upward of 50, 60, 70% of their territory held from them by the Federal Government, and receive only a pitiful sum in compensation. In Nevada, it's over 80%. This is appalling and unconstitutional. - (2/3)

- I am seeking to rectify this by submitting the FREE Act to the House of Representatives, which seeks to constrain the power of the Federal Government and restore power to the States and to the People. (3/3)
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:11 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
(Image)
@RepJekyllJones

The inefficient management of vast tracts of land by the Federal Government is injurious to the health of our country and our economy, not to mention a violation of the principle of equal dignity of the States as expressed by the - (1/3)

- Supreme Court. Western States often have upward of 50, 60, 70% of their territory held from them by the Federal Government, and receive only a pitiful sum in compensation. In Nevada, it's over 80%. This is appalling and unconstitutional. - (2/3)

- I am seeking to rectify this by submitting the FREE Act to the House of Representatives, which seeks to constrain the power of the Federal Government and restore power to the States and to the People. (3/3)

Liked and retweeted by @Diane4Maine

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 am

Louisianan wrote:
(Image)
Linda Lazare
@LLazareTX

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
Senator William Rogers III
@WSRIIISenate
rogers.senate.gov | Bozeman, MT

The MARKET Act will ensure food safety, open up state-inspected beef to the interstate market, give internships to college agriculture and agribusiness students interested in meat inspection, let small custom slaughter businesses sell their beef locally, and put profits in the hands of farmers and ranchers rather than bureaucrats and big packing companies. Its passage would be a huge victory not just for cattle producers, but also for Americans trying to afford to feed their families. See my featured op-ed in the Western Ag Reporter at the link below:
www.westernagreporter.com/oped/RogersMARKET

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:33 am

Utah Senator Everitt Rigby Colbert
@EverittRigbyColbert
colbert.senate.gov | Salt Lake City, Utah

Today I have introduced the Defense of the Pacific Act. For too long, the good people of Guam have lived in fear of a Chinese or North Korean attack on their island. The Defense of the Pacific Act would give Guamians a huge boost in defenses with a brand new missile defense system and a high quality radar.

The Defense of the Pacific Act also gives the Space Force the resources it needs to build a space based first strike warning system so our military has time to respond to attacks by China and North Korea on our Pacific territories.

The Defense of the Pacific Act also includes funding for new ground based missile fires capable of both defending American interests in the region and projecting the strength, power, and credibility of the United States to the Pacific Rim.

This bill has the backing of a former Democratic Speaker of the House and the Republican Whip in the House. It is obvious that both Democrats and Republicans recognize the need to defend our possessions in the Pacific and deter any attacks. I urge Congress to deliver this bill to the President in due course.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:40 am

Carrie Simone
@SpeakerSimone
simone.house.gov | New York, NY

Guamanians are on the front line of our defensive perimeter, & in the event of an aggression by a hostile power in Asia, are among the most under threat. The US Government has a responsibility to protect, and I am proud to support - (1/3)

- honest efforts to enhance that protection. The defense of the people is one of the, if not the defining, primary function of government. I look forward to when the Administration submits to Congress more details regarding its broader - (2/3)

- diplomatic & military strategy for ensuring the global legal order & the safety of these United States, & will continue to work - as I did as Speaker, & now as Ranking Member on Foreign Relations - towards our nonpartisan foreign policy goals. (3/3)
Neoliberal

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:44 am

(Image)
Carrie Simone
@SpeakerSimone
simone.house.gov | New York, NY

Guamanians are on the front line of our defensive perimeter, & in the event of an aggression by a hostile power in Asia, are among the most under threat. The US Government has a responsibility to protect, and I am proud to support - (1/3)

- honest efforts to enhance that protection. The defense of the people is one of the, if not the defining, primary function of government. I look forward to when the Administration submits to Congress more details regarding its broader - (2/3)

- diplomatic & military strategy for ensuring the global legal order & the safety of these United States, & will continue to work - as I did as Speaker, & now as Ranking Member on Foreign Relations - towards our nonpartisan foreign policy goals. (3/3)

Liked and retweeted by @EverittRigbyColbert
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:53 am

Senator Eugene Obradovic
Washington, District of Columbia
Wednesday 3rd February, 2021

Gene paced a little in his office with a hum. Getting things done in a narrow Senate was tough business, and he had his difficulties with Senators across the aisle, especially newer ones who just didn't get the character of the institution. Progressive to his core, Gene nonetheless had gotten pretty used to how things worked. Not like these young bucks, who despite their years being greater than when he'd first joined the Senate in the 1970s, seemed to display a characteristic lack of tact. Deciding that his long term goals would be helped by taking one of them under his wing, even if he was one of O'Halleran's lads, Gene had his secretary send a note over to Senator Everitt Colbert's office:

Dear Senator Colbert,

Senator Obradovic would like to take lunch with you today if that's at all possible. Non-alcoholic drinks will be provided in line with your beliefs. If that's possible, please have your secretary reply to this office by 11am.

Yours,

Trinny Parker
Secretary, Office of Senator Eugene Obradovic

With that done, he looked through a list of things he could get in from a local restaurant. Chicken salad looked good... He kept these menus in a folder, preferring that to browsing on a computer.
Neoliberal

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:54 am

Maxine Durant
@MaxineDurant2
Durant.house.gov | Cedar Grove, MS
Excuse me if this sounds familiar, but I am confused as to why millions of dollars are being wasted on military toys for some sandbars in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? That's not to say we need a strong response against the threat of Chinese aggression, but a price tag of $7.4 billion seems excessive. (1/3)

I'm sure the American people would much rather prefer a more cheaper alternative that not only keeps the commie in check, but prevent more government waste by the military-industrial complex. (2/3)

Why not station a Destroyer Flotilla around the islands. It may cost in terms of supplies, the deployment of the warships and personnel, but it sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than billions of dollars just so the Pentagon can play with missiles in the middle of nowhere. At least an actual military presence would serve as a deterrent, I'd argue more-so than the Missiles! (3/3)

Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:10 pm

Yaruqo wrote:
Dentali wrote:
"I'll say that whatever assessment you have of the situation based on the news and the past 20 years is accurate. Our position their is roughly sustainable but is partly contingent on an agreement previous administrations signed in 2020 (OOC: Not 100% sure if it was a Tawney or a Wolf treaty). Regardless we have made a commitment to a number of Afghanis regarding bringing them to America, and I want to make sure they get taken care of regardless of timetables."

“Yes, which I suppose brings us to the bill I’ve been drafting regarding Afghan visas.” Miller was still on guard, and he opted not to opine too much in front of a Republican president. He pulled a manilla envelope out of his briefcase, inside were three copies of his ALLIES Act:

Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021

A BILL
To amend the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 to expedite the special immigrant visa process for certain Afghan allies, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Representative Oliver Miller of Kansas (D)
Senate Sponsors:
House Sponsors:

SECTION 1: SHORT TITLE
    This Act may be cited as the "Averting Loss of Life and Injury by Expediting SIVs Act of 2021" or as the "ALLIES Act of 2021".

SECTION 2: IMPROVING AFGHAN SPECIAL IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRAM.
    (a) Evidence of Serious Threat.—Section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended in subparagraph (A)(iv), by striking “has experienced or is experiencing” and inserting “has asserted a credible basis for concern about the possibility of”; by striking subparagraph (E); and by redesignating subparagraph (F) as subparagraph (E).

(b) Activities for United States military personnel stationed With International Security Assistance or Successor Force.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(II)(bb) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by striking “sensitive and trusted”.

(c) Afghans employed subject to a grant or cooperative agreement.—Section 602(b)(2)(A)(ii)(I) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by inserting after “United States Government” the following “, including employment or other work in Afghanistan through a cooperative agreement or grant funded by the United States Government if the Secretary of State determines, based on a recommendation from the Federal agency or organization authorizing such funding, that such alien contributed to the United States mission in Afghanistan”.

(d) Eliminating duplicative processing requirements.—Section 602(b) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended—(1) in paragraph (1)—(A) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by striking “, notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of State in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security” and inserting “the Secretary of State”; and (B) in subparagraph (A), by striking “a petition for classification under section 203(b)(4) of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(b)(4))” and inserting “a request for such status in accordance with procedures established by the Secretary of Homeland Security and Secretary of State”; and (2) in paragraph (2)—(A) in subparagraph (A)(ii), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”; and (B) in subparagraph (D)(i), by striking “petition” and inserting “request”.

(e) Strengthening protections for surviving spouses and children.—Subparagraph (C) of section 602(b)(2) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended to read as follows: (C) SURVIVING SPOUSE OR CHILD.—An alien is described in this subparagraph if—(i) the alien was the spouse or child of a principal alien described in subparagraph (A) who had submitted a request for classification pursuant to this section or a petition pursuant to section 1059 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 which included the alien as an accompanying spouse or child; and (ii) such request or petition—(I) if approved, was revoked (or otherwise rendered null) due to the death of the principal alien; or (II) if pending, is otherwise approvable but for the death of the principal alien.”.

(f) Applicability.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to any requests for special immigration status, applications for special immigrant visas, or applications for adjustment of status under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 that are pending on the date of the enactment of this Act or filed on or after such date.

(g) Rule of construction.—The amendments made by this section shall not diminish, replace or override any vetting, verification of employment, approval by chief of mission, or any other screening process required for a special immigrant visa under the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009.

SECTION 3: AFGHAN ALLIES PROTECTION ACT.
    Section 602(b)(3) of the Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 is amended by adding at the end the following: “(G) SUBSEQUENT FISCAL YEARS.—Beginning on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph, in addition to any unused balance under this paragraph, 8,000 principal aliens may be granted special immigrant status under this subsection. For purposes of status provided under this subparagraph the authority to issue visas or adjust status shall commence on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph and shall terminate on the date such visa numbers are exhausted.”.

“This particular matter was brought up to me by a Kansan immigration nonprofit - yes, Mr. President, we do have those, at least in my part of the state. Some of the biggest problems have been the hurdles we placed within the Afghan Allies Protection Act that was passed in 2009. In that legislation, we stated that only those Afghans who have experienced a serious threat due to their work with the US or NATO missions could qualify for a SIV. This also has grimly led to another issue: sometimes an applicant for the SIV program…doesn’t survive their encounter with said threat. The legislation currently leaves the accompanying spouse and eligible children in limbo, where they likely face the same threat as their murdered family member by association, but do not qualify for a SIV because they did not work with or were contracted with the US or NATO missions.

“My bill would expand the qualification basis to those who provide us a credible basis for concern about the possibility of a threat related to their work or contract with the US or NATO missions, and it allows for the spouse and children of a principal applicant to remain eligible to receive a visa under the Afghan SIV program even if the principle passes away before the application is approved - under current legislation, they would only be eligible if the application was approved before the principal applicant passed away. Additionally, it adds on an additional 8,000 SIVs for principal aliens - accompanying spouses and children do not count toward that limit, and finally, for applicants who have performed or are performing duties for US personnel with a NATO mission, it eliminates the requirement that the duties performed qualify as sensitive and trusted duties. In short, Mr. President, this bill eases the process for Afghan applicants and their families, and it clarifies existing law and processes for the federal government.”

Miller took a breath and a sip of water after his long winded breakdown of the bill. “However, there are two problems, Mr. President. Perhaps you and Mr. Abernathy might be inclined to hear me out?”

"Please share Congressman."

The Sarangtus Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarangtus Lands » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Everson Boyd
@HeartlandDemocrat

Back the Hertzog Amendment to the Endless Frontier Act, and bring up our heartland together! Call your Senator now using this handy tool ---> https://www.callyoursenate.com/ and tell them to back the Hertzog Amendment!
This is Emazia's puppet, will be main soon.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:16 pm

Gene Obradovic
@SenatorObradovic
obradovic.senate.gov | Chicago, IL

Leader Hertzog's proposed amendment to the Endless Frontier Act will help to direct funds to revitalize America's forgotten communities, and highlights the efforts by Democrats to make sure that the benefits of government investment - (1/2)

- are evenly shared. I commend his thoughtfulness in this push, and support it eagerly. (2/2)
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm

The Sarangtus Lands wrote:Everson Boyd
@HeartlandDemocrat

Back the Hertzog Amendment to the Endless Frontier Act, and bring up our heartland together! Call your Senator now using this handy tool ---> https://www.callyoursenate.com/ and tell them to back the Hertzog Amendment!

(Image)
Gene Obradovic
@SenatorObradovic
obradovic.senate.gov | Chicago, IL

Leader Hertzog's proposed amendment to the Endless Frontier Act will help to direct funds to revitalize America's forgotten communities, and highlights the efforts by Democrats to make sure that the benefits of government investment - (1/2)

- are evenly shared. I commend his thoughtfulness in this push, and support it eagerly. (2/2)

Liked and Retweeted by @BenHertzog
Last edited by New Cobastheia on Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:48 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
(Image)
Arnold Wolf Jr.
@ArnoldWolfJr

The House made the right choice pushing for relief for Americans that's desperately needed! The Senate needs to pass the Relief Act and get it on President Richardson's desk IMMEDIATELY!

Liked and Retweeted by @ElizaLeBlancWolf

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:56 pm

@RepJekyllJones

Too much of our agricultural sector has been swallowed up by big businesses, and family farms have been paying the price! Many factors play into this, not least the prohibitive death taxes insisted upon by Democrats in - (1/2)

- Congress, but make no mistake, my fellow Republican dame Diane Paulson has her fingers on the pulse of rural America with her proposal to end the USDA's overburdening regulatory role on small, family-owned and operated abbatoirs. (2/2)
Neoliberal

Kargintinia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintinia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:13 pm

Earl Tenson
@BigEarsWhip
tenson.house.gov | Baker, MT

One of the core tenants of Conservative values is maintaining a strong defense against any aggression towards our nation. In recent years it has become clear that there are real and present threats towards America in the Pacific region, thus it is crucial to make certain the Defense of the Pacific Act passes.-(1/2)

Guam is a part of our nation, and thus requires our full commitment to it’s defense. The Republican Party rejects any attempt to weaken our national security, and thus we will be putting our commitment behind this act and as Whip I will make absolutely sure it passes the House.-(2/2)

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:20 pm

(Image)
@RepJekyllJones

Too much of our agricultural sector has been swallowed up by big businesses, and family farms have been paying the price! Many factors play into this, not least the prohibitive death taxes insisted upon by Democrats in - (1/2)

- Congress, but make no mistake, my fellow Republican dame Diane Paulson has her fingers on the pulse of rural America with her proposal to end the USDA's overburdening regulatory role on small, family-owned and operated abbatoirs. (2/2)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse