NATION

PASSWORD

America the Beautiful: An American Political RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Characters: President Richardson, Iosif, Senator Vichter
Players: Dentali, Sarenium
Date: January 22nd, 2021

Jack Vichter arrived at the White House that morning wide awake. As usual he had woken at 6, he had taken the kids to their preschool and had also taken the time to go on his morning run. By the time he arrived at the White House he felt fresh and crisp. He held his binder and very well organized electronic document viewer under his arm, and waited patiently to be led into wherever it was that this President wanted to meet.

Iosif led him into the Oval Office, making very little small talk along the way, “Mr. President, Senator Vichter,” he introduced.

Richardson was standing next to the Oval when the Senator arrived, “Senator Vichter, it's a pleasure to meet you in a more private setting.”

“Mr. President,” Jack extended a hand.

Richardson met his hand and gave him a firm and well practiced hand shake, “How are you finding Washington so far?”

“Very,” he paused, searching for the right word, “urban, back home the yard is much larger, here, it’s a little different,” he smirked, “but it does have it’s own charm,” he conceded.

“Don’t tell the folks back in Florida'' Richardson said almost conciliatoryly, “seafood is better around here…” He nodded towards the window “It was a bit easier for me though, swampy climate both here and Florida… humidity gets to a lot of Washington first timers.”

Jack laughed, he noticed what he sensed was a little Richardsonian hold-back, but he paid it no attention, “well, I did make it here, partly by pledging to drain the swamp,” he mused.

“You and every other fresh face in Congress over the past 4 years or so” Richardson chuckled “Not doubting your sincerity, the term is just becoming a bit cliche.”

Iosif gave Nate a glance which said time, as he moved himself tactically closer to the couches.

“I gather that you’ve not brought me to the Oval Office to discuss the ambitions of freshmen Senators,” Jack said with a smile.

Richardson looked at Iosif with a playful annoyance, Richardson’s personal punctuality was almost obsessive. “Right you are….” Richardson gestured to the couches and sat down himself undoing the button on his suit as he did “The Economic Relief Bill… I was hoping we could open this session with a strong bi-partisan measure… have a few of the fresher faces in Congress at the forefront… ‘new day in Washington’ sort of thing… Frankly the country needs something to signal we can actually move forward without killing one another.”

Richardson let that hang in the air before continuing, “I’ll be frank with you… I watched your Iowa race and I think you’re just what DC needs right now, I want to help you out… This bill is going to be popular around the country, and if you go in as the lead Democrat in the Senate sponsoring it… well I don’t need to tell you what that would do for your career.”

Vichter listened to the President calmly, the man had the most sincere of a midwestern kindness about him, without breaking eye contact he also opened on his document viewer his notes, as Nate would see, each section basically had a scribble next to it. When the President was finished speaking, Jack replied, “I find your concern for my career very touching, Mr. President,” he paused, “the shape of the current relief bill is, in my opinion, missing one key element. The entire bill, as I’ve seen it, shows little desire to prevent the next crisis. Our healthcare system buckles, and this relief bill aims more to manage the pain than prevent it from recurring. Mr. President, I talk to Iowans every day who are struggling.”

He paused before continuing, “the way I see it there’s a number of measures I’d like to see, and I think you and I can meet each other halfway on more than one of them. First and foremost, a one-time handout may work fine to stimulate the economy from horrific to bad, but permanent stimulus to get us back up to pre-2020 levels is essential, I want to put raising the minimum wage on the table, I know your caucus can’t agree to one too high, but there’s a middle ground here.”

Nate shook his head “Getting one Democratic Senator onboard isn’t worth losing 20 GOP Votes… apologies I can’t do that… What I will do is get a blue collar tax credit… Are you familiar with the concept?”

The ego on the man in front of him matched that which he had seen on television, “Mr. President, I’m confident you’d find more than one Democratic vote if you added a minimum wage hike to the bill. You were open to it during the campaign, nothing would convince wavering Democrats of your willingness to work across the aisle than this.”

“I’m a small business guy, Senator...” Richardson replied respectfully “I grew up with my parents starting one up in our basement… In truth I am certainly open to a minimum wage hike but only once the job market is better. Especially when we are still subsidizing wages with Paycheck protection, I don’t think Small Businesses can afford that right now.”

“Mr. President, I respect the tenacity of your parents, but right now we have families who are fitting adults and kids alike into the one basement,” Jack paused, “but if that’s a no-go, then I do have other proposals that I think would go a long way in making this bill more amenable to myself and the Democratic caucus members I’ve spoken to.”

Richardson looked at Iosif a bit doubtfully “Respectfully Senator you’re a new member of the Senate and to my knowledge don’t have too many connections in Washington… How many votes are we talking about here?”

“It’s true I’m the new kid on the block,” he chuckled, “but, my connections to my fellow Senators while new isn’t unfamiliar. Particularly Senator Obradovic and I, both of us come from the long line of men fond of Tom Harkin’s wisdom,” he paused.

“Those of us that come from states with, a more,” he considered his next word, “swinging, nature, will all have different desires. The minimum wage was one of two of my proposals, that I know have the broad support of a number of our caucus members. The other was to remove the expiry of the child tax credit, and increase its focus on lower-income families. Capping it at $150,000; but upping the scales at the lower end, and offsetting it by reducing the credit on the upper end after the first year.”

Iosif had kept to himself, as he tended to, but he glanced at Nate in a way which suggested this wasn’t going to be a silver bullet.

“We are preparing a Tax credit package for later… CTC, EITC, and others… doing anything more than a temporary measure here would complicate matters.”

Jack’s face remained upbeat, but it didn’t hide his disappointment at the recalcitrant President. He placed his tablet of a document viewer into it’s little case and looked at the President, “I assume your blue collared tax credit of sorts is planned for that same package then?

“That’s the idea at least….” Richardson explained” You and I agree in principle on the minimum wage and these tax credits… But the issue is timing. My objective with this bill is to get it done quickly… I worry taking any permanent measures will complicate things. And any long term measures made in haste will lack the kind of review and consideration they deserve.”

Jack replied, “the timing will never be right for a well-timed minimum wage and tax credit bill with this relief bill. It doesn’t go far enough to pull our economy back from the depth of a depression, if anything it assures a nice report card for April and stagnation for May. Unless that is, we can agree to expand the stimulating factors of the bill. There’s a need for some sort of residual impact of this spending, I want to see much more spending on construction jobs.”

Richardson countered, “I consider this bill a stopgap honestly… How would you feel about delaying the minimum wage hike? 50 cents a year starting in 2022 until it hits $10 an hour and then pegging to inflation? By then we would theoretically have an infrastructure bill, and the tax credits… at least have a growing economy that will give Small Businesses breathing room.”

Iosif began making a mental list of Republican Senators who would have an issue with what Nate just said for later.

“A minimum wage hike of sorts, in this bill?” asked Jack, “because I would be open to a delayed impact minimum wage hike if it were included in this relief bill.”

“Not making promises or deals now” Richardson said “Just want to see what's possible…”

Jack nodded slowly, “the details would need to be hashed, I think raising the wage over an eight year period from 2022 until $10 is dangerously low, but the gist is there for us to work on in future if this is a track the White House would seriously entertain.”

“I don’t need to tell you, only about half the GOP supports ANY raise to the minimum wage… and only about 35% supports raising it to 10 or 11 dollars an hour.” Richardson said almost wistfully “and frankly I don’t trust the democrats to deliver enough to make up for what we would lose in support.”

“I understand the delicate game you have to play,” Jack nodded, “I am open to this being the bridge, and Mr. President, I hope you seriously entertain including it in the bill. It would signal to more than one Democrat that you’re serious about working with us.”

“Just to recap… EITC upgrade, more construction jobs and the minimum wage… give you 2 out of three and you’d be onboard?” Richardson asked for clarification

“Give the American people any or all of the three, at a scale we can agree on, and I’d be on board,” Jack nodded.

“Two questions… how much money for construction and are there any other options?”

“Well, federal medicaid expansion isn’t something you’d sign is it?” Jack asked chuckling, “the money for construction would depend on how you want to pay for it. Watching the purse is on my mind, though further down on my list than yours, instead I imagine we’d be at loggerheads over where to put the money, not necessarily how much to spend,” Jack said.

“Okay well give me some more detail there… I’m planning on a big infrastructure bull anyway… I ran on it so doing some of it early isn’t a massive ask.”

“Throw half a trillion onto what’s being spent right now, for grid upgrades and modernisation, I also want a few extra dollars for alternative fuel research done with industry onsite via our Public Universities, and if you’re open to it, an injection of dollars aimed at energy independence specifically in more rural communities. I’m thinking of solar panels for farmers, etc.”

“Half a TRILLION?” Richardson said somewhat stunned by the number “The entire bill right now is $1.5 trillion….”

“What was the scale of your future infrastructure bill?” frowned Jack, “the electrical grid upgrade alone is 95% of that, the rest is tiny dollars. If you want to do some of it early, may as well do the big one, alternatively, you could do the smaller stuff but then again I fear the impact would be too low to notice a drop in the pool. Look, Mr. President, we’re at double digit unemployment, benefits alone don’t get people back to work and I don’t want this recession to linger more than you do, bringing up a substantial bulk of bipartisan infrastructure work would go a long way to reactivating the dormant aspects of the economy.”

“Senator,” Iosif spoke up, “I have to say that for the new kid on the block, you sure don’t pull your punches.”

Jack smirked, “well, I don’t believe we need to be limited here, Mr. President. What’s your limit on early infrastructure?”

“My limit on this bill is $1.6 trillion and i’m at $1.595 right now” Richardson clarified, “Any more and the GOP starts to bolt... ”

Jack studied the President with a curious look, he gave Iosif a cursory review earlier when they walked in, but Nate was different, less prepared to wear his heart on his palm. He didn’t mind, that’s how business worked in DC.

“We’re talking about a measly $5bn then,” Jack mused, knowing full well that was not Nate’s actual limit, “I can scale down my ambitions to about thirty to forty billion, in just farm and rural infrastructure alone, ignoring the grid upgrades and that would be assuming we’re back here this year to talk minimum wage and the wider infrastructure bill.”

“I am more than willing to cut back on a few of my priorities to give yours some breathing room…” Richardson conceded with a nod to Iosif “committing $30 or $40 billion to rural infrastructure is acceptable in my opinion…”

“Where would you find that additional $40 billion?” Jack asked, worried he was about to negotiate SNAP benefits for solar panels.

“First thing i’d cut is Blue Dot honestly” Richardson said disappointed “Unfortunately i knew that would probably be coming… Off the top of my head… probably my pet projects around mental health and toning down school construction.

Jack reopened the document on his viewer and shook his head instinctively at the notion of mental health funding being cut, “Blue Dot being cut, makes sense, I think the airport stuff we can leave to the big package, given it’s a larger scale type of project, I think it’d make the most sense. That would put us fifteen billion apart,” Jack paused, “this additional funding for FEMA, what’s the extra dollars based on? Is there something we’re expecting to happen that’s got us funding FEMA more than usual?”

“Airports are honestly on the verge of collapse, that’s more about keeping the lights on instead of upgrades… and FEMA can probably be cut for now.”

“Well, that would fix up forty billion for rural infrastructure including renewable energy subsidies, broadband, roads and bridges. Removing $35bn from this bill by removing the FEMA extras and Blue Dot investments, being fully acceptable to you, Mr. President?”

“Blue Dot won’t be totally removed…” Richardson clarified “I need it to please China hardliners and frankly I want the funding too… But i’ll be reducing it significantly… The details I need to speak with a few others but like I said I can probably get you $40 billion or thereabouts… I’ll always be straight with you on what's possible and whats not.”

Jack nodded with a grin, “I appreciate it, Mr. President.”

He stood, “this works well for a framework, if it’s in the final bill, you can definitely count on my vote and the vote of any other Democrat who feels particularly strongly about rural infrastructure,” he mused to Iosif and Nate alike. He waited for the President to stand before he’d extend his hand.

The President nodded and stood. “My people will keep you posted” Richardson shook Jack’s hand “I hope this is the first of many meetings.”

Iosif smiled and began ushering Jack towards the door, “thanks for coming in Senator,” as Jack left, Iosif closed the door, turning to Nate and nodded along as he made a mental note of that meeting. He returned to the President, “I have a meeting with [Not-Kay Granger] and [Not-Kevin Brady] today, and the Speaker will want a phone call. If every swing seat Democrat is going to ask for fifty billion, we’ll hit half a trillion by the end of the week. I'll do some ringing around, I imagine we can swing a few others but that’s if you want to include these changes now.”

“Rural is a bit different” Richardson explained “How many red states and GOP Senators benefit from that? That’s somewhat more doable… if that was for HUD? That would be a fight.”

“Well, I’ll tell the Chairs to let the Senate handle the amendment, much neater to put your original up through the House and let the Democrats be seen to rob the anti-China alliance,” Iosif paused, “there is something there though, if he’s serious about infrastructure, might be worth operating the next few weeks with both bills on hand. We can get the relief bill through if we let leadership hash out the details, and we can work directly with the Democrats we need for a wide ranging infrastructure bill.”

“We can do preliminary stuff on Infra sure… But the American people don’t have the attention span for two major bills at once… and those are two big price tags…”

Iosif nodded his concurrence, “I have you down to meet with Deborah Feyrer later this week, something about the Endless Frontiers Bill, whips think we can get it through the House and Senate and onto your desk in good time. Do you want to take the meeting yourself or shall I handle it?” His face indicated it would be better for Nate to meet with Deb.

Nate looked a bit annoyed “Some personal relationship building is probably a good thing…” Richardson grumbled “I’ll bite my tongue… I don’t want to lose focus on the relief bill… If we can multitask, great but I want separation between the bills passing by at least 2 weeks so we can take victory laps… and to make sure we don’t mess one up because we were too focused on another… We have a lot on our plate.”

Iosif grinned, “if the whips can guarantee it’s passage by the end of next week, I’ll set up the meeting with the giantess. Otherwise, the overlap would be unnerving.”

The President’s E.A. entered to hurry the President onto the next meeting, he was twenty seconds overtime, no thanks to Iosif, who bid the President farewell and returned to his office.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Velahor wrote:"Well, yeah, the bill came from him. Except I didn't think we could pull enough Democratic support without Section 5 tacked onto it. Looking at the composition, who the deciding votes would be, it didn't make sense. So I wrote that part and then we put up the bill. That's part of why I was surprised to see your tweets against Section 5."

Paulson sipped, and paused, thinking.

"At the same time, I really doubt that he was doing it for nefarious reasons...I mean, he had Earl bring out the hard whip on it, so you gotta...you know...I'm honestly not too sure. He's got Junior taking lead on it in the Senate...I just don't see him pulling that on him too. Not with all the support Tom gets from the Wolf people these days."

Caroline blinked with a genuinely confused expression, "Not every House Democrat is Dan Ziegler, Diane, we've got a lot of caucus members who aren't independently rich. So do you guys now, with some of these freshmen. They won't be able to make up the difference from section 5. Whilst relaxing that protection means that the really rich guys are actually getting a pay rise out of the bill. But I dunno, something smells off about it now I know they pushed this on you."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Jack Vichter
@JackVichter
Church before the inauguration, today my mind falls to Luke 14:12-14.

Jack Vichter
@JackVichter
Meeting with the President today, hoping to come out of it with a productive and constructive outcome.

Jack Vichter
@JackVichter
The ARA will now include an additional spend on:
- Rural Infrastructure Upgrades
- Additional RnD for Alternative Fuels

The President also gave me an assurance that this was a stepping stone and that we would be back to discuss Infrastructure, Wages and more later on! This is a big win for those of us living far from a big city!
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Velahor wrote:"Well, yeah, the bill came from him. Except I didn't think we could pull enough Democratic support without Section 5 tacked onto it. Looking at the composition, who the deciding votes would be, it didn't make sense. So I wrote that part and then we put up the bill. That's part of why I was surprised to see your tweets against Section 5."

Paulson sipped, and paused, thinking.

"At the same time, I really doubt that he was doing it for nefarious reasons...I mean, he had Earl bring out the hard whip on it, so you gotta...you know...I'm honestly not too sure. He's got Junior taking lead on it in the Senate...I just don't see him pulling that on him too. Not with all the support Tom gets from the Wolf people these days."

Caroline blinked with a genuinely confused expression, "Not every House Democrat is Dan Ziegler, Diane, we've got a lot of caucus members who aren't independently rich. So do you guys now, with some of these freshmen. They won't be able to make up the difference from section 5. Whilst relaxing that protection means that the really rich guys are actually getting a pay rise out of the bill. But I dunno, something smells off about it now I know they pushed this on you."

Paulson sat and thought for a second.

"I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is that the decreases in pay are completely reasonable, so I think all those freshmen on both sides of the aisle will do just fine. That's why I personally believe in the bill."

"I guess maybe I was only thinking of Section 5 from my personal experience, because I've always been able to earn the max for outside income off of real estate sales, various commissions from things I published in the past, just stuff here and there."
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:57 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson sat and thought for a second.

"I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is that the decreases in pay are completely reasonable, so I think all those freshmen on both sides of the aisle will do just fine. That's why I personally believe in the bill."

"I guess maybe I was only thinking of Section 5 from my personal experience, because I've always been able to earn the max for outside income off of real estate sales, various commissions from things I published in the past, just stuff here and there."

"I made it my business, when I led the Democrats in the House, to get to know some of our newer, and some of our poorer, members. Some of them were practically in shoeboxes. And you and I both know that to be an effective politician means being able to... host, to entertain. It's an often overlooked part of politics, but it means that for some members, they're just never going to be able to build the influence they need to rise in the ranks. Especially if they're from further out, California or Arizona and the like, and have to fly back and forth frequently."

She sipped her gin, shaking her head. "I did consider whether we could look at a housing expense provision for poorer members, but I wasn't sure how to word it. Either way, think about Section 5 this way - Earl Tenson, your Whip, he's got money in fossil fuels, right? So when that cap gets raised, he's gonna haul in a lot more - proportionally - than you."
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson sat and thought for a second.

"I made it my business, when I led the Democrats in the House, to get to know some of our newer, and some of our poorer, members. Some of them were practically in shoeboxes. And you and I both know that to be an effective politician means being able to... host, to entertain. It's an often overlooked part of politics, but it means that for some members, they're just never going to be able to build the influence they need to rise in the ranks. Especially if they're from further out, California or Arizona and the like, and have to fly back and forth frequently."

She sipped her gin, shaking her head. "I did consider whether we could look at a housing expense provision for poorer members, but I wasn't sure how to word it. Either way, think about Section 5 this way - Earl Tenson, your Whip, he's got money in fossil fuels, right? So when that cap gets raised, he's gonna haul in a lot more - proportionally - than you."

Paulson shook her head.

"Carrie, I think you misread Section 5. It says that outside income of members of Congress is currently 15%, and will be increased to 20% of the annual rate of basic pay for employees on level II of the executive schedule."

Paulson pulled out her phone and pulled up a Wikipedia article and sent it to Carrie's phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Schedule

"Just a refresher on how the executive schedule works."

"As you can see, the current executive pay schedule for Level II employees is $199,300. So you take 15% of that number..." she pulled out her phone calculator, "and then you get $29,895. That's the current cap for everyone in the House or Senate."

"The bill puts that cap up to 20%, or for the year of 2021, $39,860."

"But the same cap applies to everyone, and this isn't based on percentage of income or anything like that, it just gets the number from the executive branch's pay schedule."

"So no, with the way I wrote it, both Tenson and I would be capped at thirty-nine-K."

Paulson took a long drink.

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson shook her head.

"Carrie, I think you misread Section 5. It says that outside income of members of Congress is currently 15%, and will be increased to 20% of the annual rate of basic pay for employees on level II of the executive schedule."

Paulson pulled out her phone and pulled up a Wikipedia article and sent it to Carrie's phone.

"As you can see, the current executive pay schedule for Level II employees is $199,300. So you take 15% of that number..." she pulled out her phone calculator, "and then you get $29,895. That's the current cap for everyone in the House or Senate."

"But the same cap applies to everyone, and this isn't based on percentage of income or anything like that, it just gets the number from the executive branch's pay schedule."

"So no, with the way I wrote it, both Tenson and I would be capped at thirty-nine-K."

"If I was Deb Feyrer, I'd be putting a pair of scissors through a legislative aide's hand right now. That's not how my staff read it, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, though it does still leave the problem that there are a great many members of Congress who don't have any outside income. Should it be conditional that a prospective member of Congress must own a legal firm, or a business consultancy, or a large farm, or a real estate portfolio, just to be able to participate in the political process? I do still have my issues about increasing the importance of outside wealth, especially outside wealth which may give rise to conflict of interest questions." Caroline sighed, shaking her head. She should have gone over the text herself rather than the notes she'd been given - the problem still existed, but it was significantly less proportionate than she had first thought.

"That said, I do intend on bringing two amendments on the floor irrespective."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson shook her head.

"If I was Deb Feyrer, I'd be putting a pair of scissors through a legislative aide's hand right now. That's not how my staff read it, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, though it does still leave the problem that there are a great many members of Congress who don't have any outside income. Should it be conditional that a prospective member of Congress must own a legal firm, or a business consultancy, or a large farm, or a real estate portfolio, just to be able to participate in the political process? I do still have my issues about increasing the importance of outside wealth, especially outside wealth which may give rise to conflict of interest questions." Caroline sighed, shaking her head. She should have gone over the text herself rather than the notes she'd been given - the problem still existed, but it was significantly less proportionate than she had first thought.

"That said, I do intend on bringing two amendments on the floor irrespective."

“Oof, yeah, see that’s why we were thinking of this so differently. I get what you’re saying about the ones with zero income though; one thing we could do is amend it so people have the option of either taking the outside income, or taking a housing stipend if they make less in outside income than a certain amount.”

“And speaking of amendments, care to tell me what you were thinking?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Velahor wrote:“Oof, yeah, see that’s why we were thinking of this so differently. I get what you’re saying about the ones with zero income though; one thing we could do is amend it so people have the option of either taking the outside income, or taking a housing stipend if they make less in outside income than a certain amount.”

"Well, the first one was meant to fix the issues with Section 5. If we could work out the housing stipend, then that'd probably be pretty easy to sort out. The second is..." She rifles through a folder, setting it on the table:

Amendment 2 to the Clean Congress Act

Inserted after Section 5 is the following:

"SECTION 6: EXPANSIONS TO CONFLICT OF INTEREST LEGISLATION FOR FEDERAL LEGISLATORS, LEGISLATIVE OFFICIALS, AND LEGISLATIVE STAFF
  1. Except as provided by subsection d., no Member of Congress or senior official working in the legislative branch may own an interest in, or trade (unless as a divestment) any stock, bond, commodity, future, or other form of security, including an interest in a hedge fund, a derivative, option, or other complex investment vehicle.
  2. No officer or employee of any congressional committee or commission of any kind may maintain, own, or trade (unless as a divestment) any substantial holdings which may be affected by the actions of the committee or commission for which the individual works, unless the Select Committee on Ethics of the Senate or the Committee on Ethics of the House of Representatives, as applicable, approves of such holdings in writing after consultation with the Office of Congressional Ethics.
  3. No Member of Congress, or senior official working in the legislative branch, may knowingly use his or her official position to introduce or aid the progress or passage of legislation, with the purpose of furthering his or her pecuniary interest, or that of their immediate family, or of a limited class of persons or enterprises of which he or she, or his or her immediate family, or enterprises controlled by them, are members of said affected class.
  4. Nothing in this section shall be construed as to prohibit a Member of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress, or an employee of any congressional committee or commission from owning -
    1. a commonly held investment fund as defined by section 102(f)(8) of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 if the investment meets the requirements described in section 105(b)(2);
    2. shares of Settlement Common Stock issued under section 7(g)(1)(A) of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act or;
    3. shares of Settlement Common Stock, as defined in section 3 of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Velahor wrote:“Oof, yeah, see that’s why we were thinking of this so differently. I get what you’re saying about the ones with zero income though; one thing we could do is amend it so people have the option of either taking the outside income, or taking a housing stipend if they make less in outside income than a certain amount.”

"Well, the first one was meant to fix the issues with Section 5. If we could work out the housing stipend, then that'd probably be pretty easy to sort out. The second is..." She rifles through a folder, setting it on the table:

Amendment 2 to the Clean Congress Act

Inserted after Section 5 is the following:

"SECTION 6: EXPANSIONS TO CONFLICT OF INTEREST LEGISLATION FOR FEDERAL LEGISLATORS, LEGISLATIVE OFFICIALS, AND LEGISLATIVE STAFF
  1. Except as provided by subsection d., no Member of Congress or senior official working in the legislative branch may own an interest in, or trade (unless as a divestment) any stock, bond, commodity, future, or other form of security, including an interest in a hedge fund, a derivative, option, or other complex investment vehicle.
  2. No officer or employee of any congressional committee or commission of any kind may maintain, own, or trade (unless as a divestment) any substantial holdings which may be affected by the actions of the committee or commission for which the individual works, unless the Select Committee on Ethics of the Senate or the Committee on Ethics of the House of Representatives, as applicable, approves of such holdings in writing after consultation with the Office of Congressional Ethics.
  3. No Member of Congress, or senior official working in the legislative branch, may knowingly use his or her official position to introduce or aid the progress or passage of legislation, with the purpose of furthering his or her pecuniary interest, or that of their immediate family, or of a limited class of persons or enterprises of which he or she, or his or her immediate family, or enterprises controlled by them, are members of said affected class.
  4. Nothing in this section shall be construed as to prohibit a Member of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress, or an employee of any congressional committee or commission from owning -
    1. a commonly held investment fund as defined by section 102(f)(8) of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 if the investment meets the requirements described in section 105(b)(2);
    2. shares of Settlement Common Stock issued under section 7(g)(1)(A) of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act or;
    3. shares of Settlement Common Stock, as defined in section 3 of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act."

Paulson stifled a laugh. While she had no doubt Carrie favored such bold reforms, and she did too, she knew that such an amendment would be doomed.

“I like it. I like it a lot. But I would be concerned that if the amendment sticks, the whole bill ends up failing, if not in the House then in the Senate. I’d be willing to co-sponsor it with you as a separate bill, but that amendment will likely stop Tenson from enforcing the whip on this.”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson stifled a laugh. While she had no doubt Carrie favored such bold reforms, and she did too, she knew that such an amendment would be doomed.

“I like it. I like it a lot. But I would be concerned that if the amendment sticks, the whole bill ends up failing, if not in the House then in the Senate. I’d be willing to co-sponsor it with you as a separate bill, but that amendment will likely stop Tenson from enforcing the whip on this.”

"I mean, I have doubts about the bill clearing the House in its existing form. There's undoubtedly going to be revolts - on both sides - over any attempt to whip this bill. I doubt the amendment will pass, but I have to make a show of it. Especially considering..." Could she tell Diane? She liked Diane, that was for sure. But not yet. It was way too early.

"Still, if it does pass the House, it may well still be amended in the Senate. You know how these things go. I'm still just so worried that this is an attempt by Republican leadership to limit your influence. You're a power player in their caucus, Diane."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 pm

Velahor wrote:Paulson stifled a laugh. While she had no doubt Carrie favored such bold reforms, and she did too, she knew that such an amendment would be doomed.

"I mean, I have doubts about the bill clearing the House in its existing form. There's undoubtedly going to be revolts - on both sides - over any attempt to whip this bill. I doubt the amendment will pass, but I have to make a show of it. Especially considering..." Could she tell Diane? She liked Diane, that was for sure. But not yet. It was way too early.

"Still, if it does pass the House, it may well still be amended in the Senate. You know how these things go. I'm still just so worried that this is an attempt by Republican leadership to limit your influence. You're a power player in their caucus, Diane."

Diane was quite conflicted. Simone’s theory seemed logical enough, but there were holes.

“Well, they’re trying to whip for it now, if that representative from Mississippi’s tweet in protest didn’t make it obvious.”

Paulson took another drink

“I’m taking your hypothesis on this very seriously. But if that was Volker’s plan, wouldn’t he be risking it backfiring? For instance, if there really is going to be a fight over the bill, and I have the power of the whip and the speaker behind me, doesn’t that give my voice more authority in the party?”
Last edited by Velahor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Velahor wrote:Diane was quite conflicted. Simone’s theory seemed logical enough, but there were holes.

“Well, they’re trying to whip for it now, if that representative from Mississippi’s tweet in protest didn’t make it obvious.”

“I’m taking your hypothesis on this very seriously. But if that was Volker’s plan, wouldn’t he be risking it backfiring? For instance, if there really is going to be a fight over the bill, and I have the power of the whip and the speaker behind me, doesn’t that give my voice more authority in the party?”

"That power is fleeting. You're not the one actually holding it. And expending a bit of their power to put you in an embarrassing situation would be a crafty move on their part," she frowned with a hum, "but don't get me wrong, I do believe your intentions here are wholly honest."
Neoliberal

Newne Carriebean7
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Newne Carriebean7 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm

Office of Representative Maxine Caroline Durant (Mississippi's 3rd Congressional District)

"THAT was close." Was all the middle aged woman could mutter. It appeared that the tested and true method of kissing ass had worked once again for the "unconventional" representative. The last person she wanted to piss off was the Whip of the House.. ok, second to last person. She would be concerned at what powers the President might wield against her. Then she slightly chuckled at the thought of a presidential nuclear strike directly on her farm house just to get rid of an obstinate congresswoman from the deep south.

"They'd be wastin' their goddamned time, money n' dole onna yer shrimpy ass, Max. You'll be as fine as a baby blue computar." She reassured herself with the humorous image of the President simply ignoring the Representative. Honestly, that was fine with her, that was the Executive Branch, she was over at the Legislative branch. With those reassuring thoughts filtered through her head, she began to sit down to read the various Documents that that busy-bee Caroline Simone had brought forth. For "lighter reading material", she had in-front of her copies of the CCA, the MARKET and the Relief Act strewn about the oak furnishings of her desk.

She pulled out a small bottle from a drawer, followed by a still cold Coca-Cola. It almost made her regret not being born in Georgia of all places. But, she didn't like the politics of the Coca-Cola company as of recently...especially when that might have cost them and the GOP the senate in Georgia. Inhaling yet another waste of oxygen, she began to read the CCA in it's entirety, rather than just skim through it.

"Amends the rules of both the Senate and the House of Representatives to increase the threshold of allowed outside income for members of Congress from 15% of the annual rate of basic pay for level II of the Executive Schedule to 20%."

Well, that was rather useless to her. Being a Congresswoman was her only job. Unless she wanted to go fetch a job at McDonalds or some other humilating form of "manual labor". It was a measly 5 percent. This was no doubt to compensate for the still...Biting loss for her in the range of $35,500. She would also have to work without pay during government shutdowns. That was a big no-no for her. It would be economically risky for her. Hell, she might even garner some sympathy for the regular joe that was struggling... (probably not, but you never really know). Did she have a savings account? Well, she had a bank account.. and maybe she had a checking account? She didn't really know for sure, she always, always used cash to pay for anything she wanted. It was a little embarrassing, but she did get a sort of sociopathic glee out of inconveniencing the lives of everyone else around her whenever she went out grocery shopping. That also reminded her...did she have enough food at home? She'd have to check that out whenever she would fly back to Cedar Grove. She had also just barely noticed something.

Senators and Representatives ended up getting paid the exact same amount. That really wasn't fair to her. If anything, there needed to be a nice, symbolic, 50k difference between the annual pay of a regular, no name House member such as herself and the high and mightiness of the U.S Senate. She saw the Senate as a prestigious chamber, more dignified than those of the House, which she was, unfortunately a part of. Then a light-bulb sprung up in her head.

Why not craft some sort of bill that would increase the salary of Senate members to be more than those of House members?

She swiftly wrote a note down that read simply and rather illegibly:

Bill Idea: $50k more for Senate than House? Might work- Durant.

With that, she stuck the sticky note right on the top of her Laptop. A waterfall of cold, brown liquid cascaded quickly down her gullet, leading to a rather satisfying "Ahhh" to be heard in her house office before she set the drink off to one side in order to go over the next bill.

"Let's see here, the 'American Promise Act' What the fuck..." She cussed, looking over each paragraph of the bill. Section 2 was what peaked her interest, and she read it verbatim out loud just so she understood what the intent of this section would be if the bill was kicked up to be the Senate's problem.

"Section 207(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act is amended by inserting after “in any fiscal year after fiscal year 1982 shall be such number as the President determines,” the following: “except that in any fiscal year after fiscal year 2022, such number may not be less than 125,000, without regard to whether or not the President makes any determination”.

"Hmmm, in all honesty, I'd rather the number be 0 instead of 125,000 more illegal terrorists from wherever the fuck these shit-bags are flooding in from. I want to make sure this country is safe, even If I'm called a bad person. I can't be a bad person, It's about safety, not compassion. Damn you... uh... Muller-er Miller."

With that, she crumbled up the copy of the APA and tossed it on the side, clearing away space on the desk for the next proposed Bill on the House's Docket so far.

"American Relief Act, hah! more like the..uh... Not American Not Relief Act!" Internally, she gave her brain a high-five for such wit, such talent, such mastery. The works of Shakespeare were akin to modern-day Nickelback at the blinding intellect and wit she possessed. Externally, she just let loose a little bit of gas rather unprofessionally, and frowned slightly while she began to really skim through this bill.

Now this one, she considered, would be a really, really hefty bill. She quickly needed to take a sip of her coca cola before spewing the soda onto the floor in her House office when she read the 'small' price tag for even just the first section. 'Four hundred and Three BILLION for a one-time government handout to every u.s citizen? She felt bad for whomever Richardson would pick as the head of the Fed. His arms would get so tired working the money machine. Unless those memes her son had shown him went 'brrr' and shit like that. Then maybe his arms wouldn't get so tired. Another 200 Billion for Unemployment. She groaned, but moved on to the next section of the two hundred billion for each state in the Union.

Doing some quick math, she surmised that each state would be receiving a modest 4 BILLION dollars. She began to think of that proportionally. For a state as large as Texas or California, that would only be a few drops of cash. For the smaller states, and the poorer states (unfortunately) such as her native Mississippi, that would be a massive bail-out for the Magnolia State. She flipped over to the Infrastructure portion. While every lazy asshat in their country sat cushy with 200 billion being spent in this bill, a measly ten billion dollars would be allocated to the people she most cared about. The gun loving, farm building and hell raising families that she had grown to absolutely love while on her time as a member of the Agricultural House Committee.

She also was a little peeved at 11G: Five billion dollars towards bullshit "Alternative Energy Facilities"... "What in the hell happened to good old fashioned Coal and Asbestos? Wait..." Ok she answered her own question with the latter but was still peeved about the mystery of the really really old rock that's underground that's used by the rest of the third world. This thought lead her to yet another.. China was a third world country, and they still use tons of Coal. If she remembered correctly, it was... 23 percent of the Global Climate emissions or whatever bullshit the UN pushed on other countries.

Overall, she was very concerned as to the price tag of the ARA. As soon as the President's signature hit that pen, boom millions of dollars would be force-fed to the people, and her constituents against their wills. She knew that something needed to be done to fix the economy (lest she be the one to pay a political price for it thanks to a moderate member barging down to Cedar Grove and raising hell). But, she felt that it was the wrong way. It was basically a shotgun filled with coins that they were hoping to hit at the economic malaise of the previous administration. The more she thought, the better certain soundbites sounded in her head. Maybe she could cut a deal with the news and give some interviews...but, she didn't nessicarily want to draw too much attention to herself or her poor constituents. The last thing she needed was a bunch of peeping toms while she got ready in the morning.

She yawned as she put the ARA bill away for another time. After all, a good night's rest was what she needed to keep stall-she meant, 'negotiating with her brain'. She was sure that a solid... eight hours of negotiation and a helpful pinch of sand from Mr. Sandman were what she craved. Well, that and some more Coke. With her groggy mind made up, she decided to turn out the lights in her office and make her way to some Hotel in Washington D.C. she had the hindsight of booking for a week. Hopefully Congressional business would be over in that time. That's what she hoped as she made sure to put away all the documents she previously had laid out as neatly as her sleep-deprived brain could manage before leaving the Office following another hard day at work for Mississippians.

"I don't get paid enough for this shit.." She would mumble to herself through the hallways of the House Offices.
Krugeristan wrote:This is Carrie you're referring to. I'm not going to expect him to do something sane anytime soon. He can take something as simple as a sandwich, and make me never look at sandwiches with a straight face ever again.

Former Carriebeanian president Carol Dartenby sentenced to 4 years hard labor for corruption and mismanagement of state property|Former Carriebeanian president Antrés Depuís sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzling funds and corruption

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:31 pm

Velahor wrote:Diane was quite conflicted. Simone’s theory seemed logical enough, but there were holes.

"That power is fleeting. You're not the one actually holding it. And expending a bit of their power to put you in an embarrassing situation would be a crafty move on their part," she frowned with a hum, "but don't get me wrong, I do believe your intentions here are wholly honest."

Diane finished her drink fairly slowly, while she considered what her colleague said. That’s something she tried really hard to keep in mind, that this was politics and they were rival colleagues, and while she was friendly with Carrie, there was the feeling that now she was unsure of both her leadership’s motives, and the motives of the woman in the room with her.

She set the drink on the coaster, and then leaned forward, speaking inquisitively, with composure.

“So…I gotta ask you this Carrie. Be honest with me. If this is true that Volker is setting me up, if that’s actually true, what’s the way out? Is there a way out?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:34 pm

Velahor wrote:Diane finished her drink fairly slowly, while she considered what her colleague said. That’s something she tried really hard to keep in mind, that this was politics and they were rival colleagues, and while she was friendly with Carrie, there was the feeling that now she was unsure of both her leadership’s motives, and the motives of the woman in the room with her.

She set the drink on the coaster, and then leaned forward, speaking inquisitively, with composure.

“So…I gotta ask you this Carrie. Be honest with me. If this is true that Volker is setting me up, if that’s actually true, what’s the way out? Is there a way out?”

"Well, you've got to be discreet. Maybe take the temperature of your caucus, talk to other senior Republicans who respect you or aren't too close to the leadership. Figure out what's going on, and see if there's anyone who can pressure the bill back into committee. Then it'll fade out of memory and you'll be off the hook. But that's only if this is a sting, I can only conjecture, of course." She hummed softly, finishing her own drink. "It's frustrating, because there is something I'd love it if you worked with me on."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Velahor wrote:Diane finished her drink fairly slowly, while she considered what her colleague said. That’s something she tried really hard to keep in mind, that this was politics and they were rival colleagues, and while she was friendly with Carrie, there was the feeling that now she was unsure of both her leadership’s motives, and the motives of the woman in the room with her.

"Well, you've got to be discreet. Maybe take the temperature of your caucus, talk to other senior Republicans who respect you or aren't too close to the leadership. Figure out what's going on, and see if there's anyone who can pressure the bill back into committee. Then it'll fade out of memory and you'll be off the hook. But that's only if this is a sting, I can only conjecture, of course." She hummed softly, finishing her own drink. "It's frustrating, because there is something I'd love it if you worked with me on."

“Then let’s work on it. I already made a big concession to the President and Volker by signing onto their relief bill…you know that spending at those levels typically isn’t my thing. I also am currently doing a lot of the heavy lifting for drafting a bunch of upcoming bills to assist the President’s agenda, stuff I’ve already run by him as passable.”

“I probably should talk to him. I can’t imagine he’s an easy man to reach at the moment though.”

Diane took a moment to clear her thoughts.

“If they do cross me at this point, well, there’s ways to fight back. I’ve agreed to not make a fuss on a lot of issues that I could speak out on. That could always change.”

“So, I’m going to do some snooping around, but I think that it’s a bad look for me to let the bill disappear now. So if you want to work on it, we can.”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:24 pm

Velahor wrote:“Then let’s work on it. I already made a big concession to the President and Volker by signing onto their relief bill…you know that spending at those levels typically isn’t my thing. I also am currently doing a lot of the heavy lifting for drafting a bunch of upcoming bills to assist the President’s agenda, stuff I’ve already run by him as passable.”

“I probably should talk to him. I can’t imagine he’s an easy man to reach at the moment though.”

“If they do cross me at this point, well, there’s ways to fight back. I’ve agreed to not make a fuss on a lot of issues that I could speak out on. That could always change.”

“So, I’m going to do some snooping around, but I think that it’s a bad look for me to let the bill disappear now. So if you want to work on it, we can.”

"Well, just be careful. The Republican Party is still not what it once was, and I'm yet to be convinced that Nate Richardson has what it takes to bring them in line. Believe me, I want a healthy Republican Party too," she smiled, shaking her head. "There's a regulation I want to remove from the Postal Service, that should tickle your libertarian nature, and I also want to take another punt at removing the deadline from the ERA. Every little scrape towards freedom, you know?"
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Velahor wrote:“Then let’s work on it. I already made a big concession to the President and Volker by signing onto their relief bill…you know that spending at those levels typically isn’t my thing. I also am currently doing a lot of the heavy lifting for drafting a bunch of upcoming bills to assist the President’s agenda, stuff I’ve already run by him as passable.”

"Well, just be careful. The Republican Party is still not what it once was, and I'm yet to be convinced that Nate Richardson has what it takes to bring them in line. Believe me, I want a healthy Republican Party too," she smiled, shaking her head. "There's a regulation I want to remove from the Postal Service, that should tickle your libertarian nature, and I also want to take another punt at removing the deadline from the ERA. Every little scrape towards freedom, you know?"

Diane thought about it for a second.

“You know what? Are you looking for a Republican co-sponsor to put on that ERA bill? I’m interested, I’m thinking it would be a smart move for me. For at least a few reasons I can think of.”

“The Postal Service one? I’m cautiously going to say I’ll vote in favor, however, I’ll have to test the waters a bit to know for sure.”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:43 pm

Velahor wrote:Diane thought about it for a second.

“You know what? Are you looking for a Republican co-sponsor to put on that ERA bill? I’m interested, I’m thinking it would be a smart move for me. For at least a few reasons I can think of.”

“The Postal Service one? I’m cautiously going to say I’ll vote in favor, however, I’ll have to test the waters a bit to know for sure.”

"I'd be very happy to have you work with me on a thrust to put the ERA back on the agenda. Having a prominent Republican woman at my side on the initiative would be great," she smiled and nodded, before humming a little, "The Postal Service one will upset the people who want to privatize the Postal Service, but frankly, I don't think the way to go about that goal is sabotaging a government service at the public expense, which is what they're doing."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:06 am

Velahor wrote:Diane thought about it for a second.

"I'd be very happy to have you work with me on a thrust to put the ERA back on the agenda. Having a prominent Republican woman at my side on the initiative would be great," she smiled and nodded, before humming a little, "The Postal Service one will upset the people who want to privatize the Postal Service, but frankly, I don't think the way to go about that goal is sabotaging a government service at the public expense, which is what they're doing."

“Well, I’m one of those people who wants to privatize the Post Office, but that’s not happening without a constitutional amendment, so it’s probably never happening. I’m definitely considering voting in favor of your bill because if we’re going to have a public post office, it should be properly funded and functioning.”

“What do you think of the MARKET Act? I got that young Senator who’s all about farming and such on it.”
Last edited by Velahor on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:11 am

Velahor wrote:“Well, I’m one of those people who wants to privatize the Post Office, but that’s not happening without a constitutional amendment, so it’s probably never happening. I’m definitely considering voting in favor of your bill because if we’re going to have a public post office, it should be properly funded and functioning.”

“What do you think of the MARKET Act? I got that young Senator who’s all about farming and such on it.”

"It's chicken-shit of those suits to try to force the issue over the Postal Service by pushing it into defaults that we then have to bail out. If you want to privatize it, fine, draft an amendment and we'll talk about it - that's what you would do. It's not what they're doing," Caroline had always admired Diane's earnestness and practicality. Debate instead of sabotage, that was what really put Diane apart - in Caroline's mind - from other Republicans.

"I confess I'm a no on the MARKET Act, and that's not a position I expect to move from, but it's a Republican majority. You'll probably be fine."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:30 am

Velahor wrote:“Well, I’m one of those people who wants to privatize the Post Office, but that’s not happening without a constitutional amendment, so it’s probably never happening. I’m definitely considering voting in favor of your bill because if we’re going to have a public post office, it should be properly funded and functioning.”

"It's chicken-shit of those suits to try to force the issue over the Postal Service by pushing it into defaults that we then have to bail out. If you want to privatize it, fine, draft an amendment and we'll talk about it - that's what you would do. It's not what they're doing," Caroline had always admired Diane's earnestness and practicality. Debate instead of sabotage, that was what really put Diane apart - in Caroline's mind - from other Republicans.

"I confess I'm a no on the MARKET Act, and that's not a position I expect to move from, but it's a Republican majority. You'll probably be fine."

“I figured as much, I have the votes in the House and Senate to make it happen anyway.”

“Anything else major coming up from the Democrats I should be aware of?”

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:33 am

Velahor wrote:“I figured as much, I have the votes in the House and Senate to make it happen anyway.”

"I'm not as in the loop as I used to be, I'm afraid. There's nothing particularly surprising coming that I think is working its way through the pipeline," She scratched her chin, shaking her head, "So far, it's all just our usual stuff, and then stuff we're working with your lot on and I'm not in the room for that anymore. Senate'll be slow though, they're still chewing through nominations."
Neoliberal

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 am

Velahor wrote:“I figured as much, I have the votes in the House and Senate to make it happen anyway.”

"I'm not as in the loop as I used to be, I'm afraid. There's nothing particularly surprising coming that I think is working its way through the pipeline," She scratched her chin, shaking her head, "So far, it's all just our usual stuff, and then stuff we're working with your lot on and I'm not in the room for that anymore. Senate'll be slow though, they're still chewing through nominations."

Paulson leaned back in her chair a bit.

“Well, I’m about out of legislation to talk about. I definitely feel different about this Congress than past ones, that’s for sure.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse