NATION

PASSWORD

Masquerade: Teardrops in Winter (Arc 4)(IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Oblivion2 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:49 am

Paloma - Stage Fright - A collab between Luminesa and Oblivion2
November 27th, 2023, 2 PM
The Last Drop

The poor girl took a deep, shaky breath.

Another morning, and she had managed to find her way to daylight. She was awake and alive, and she never realized how much she appreciated that feeling until today. The second day. Soon, she would have the test that meant everything. Everything, such a final and heavy and beautiful word.

And the everything she wanted depended on the everything ahead.

But between now and that deep, dark unknown, the early afternoon of Los Angeles was breezy and calm. Paloma was sure that she had already drank enough coffee to tranquilize an elephant, but she enjoyed this place, and she had invited someone she knew would enjoy this place as well. But furthermore, she had invited him knowing that she needed to have this talk, and she needed to have it now.

She had Stapes’s favorite drink ordered, and she sat at a booth in the back, tapping her foot under the table as she looked out the window. Two doves were sitting on a nearby wire, pruning each other. Her eyes laid on them for quite a long time, perhaps reaching for a kind anchor to pull her foot back to the ground.

The General Manager of the Janus arrived after a few moments. He had dressed in a plain grey suit with matching hornburg and seemed to shuffle across the street towards the coffee shop. He was beginning to show his years little but little as Etienne rationed his Vitae for… something. Something that Paloma hadn’t been informed of.

He sat down across from Paloma, sighing softly as he removed his hat and set it on the table to his right. “Ms. Clark.” He said in greeting, glancing at the cup set out in front of his spot. “Is that for me?”

Her head turned back toward him with a smile, and she nodded brightly, bringing herself back into the moment. “Hi! Yup, that’s for you. I remembered what you liked.” She looked at him, and though his changes were not too sudden and drastic, she could tell that something was different. Stapes looked a little more tired, a little more weary, and he had less skip in his step. “Has the Janus been super busy? You look more tired than usual, sir. Maybe the coffee will help?” Her voice was not disparaging, but gentle, as she wondered about the health this man who was so welcoming to her in the first place.

“Oh just… Ghoul problems.” He says as he takes the cup, savouring a long sip and sighing appreciatively. “If I’m not topped up every so often, the reaper begins recording my time again. That’s why it’s been so important to have you- or someone like you on staff lately. You’ve been a godsend, eh… No pun intended.”

He waved that away, “But enough about me. Your message said you were nervous enough to puke. What’s bothering you my dear?”

She looked down at her cup for a moment. Herbal tea, something sweet and floral to calm her nerves. Yet she was not entirely sure if even a sea of tea would work. “…I’m…I’m Presenting to…to the Court today…this evening…or tomorrow,” she whispered, keeping her voice soft, “I’ve been preparing…and I’m…” She gulped, and her eyes twinkled a little with fear. The fear she had tried to bury under a month’s worth of work in less than two weeks. “I’m terrified. I…I’ve done everything, almost everything, and I can’t shake the fear…”

She looked over him. He was a Ghoul, at one time he had been human. In a way, he was mostly still human. His heart and his gaze most certainly were, and so she saw him that way. “Did…when you joined…the Janus, did you ever have to…?”

Stapes shook his head. “No. I was not worthy of that honour and I’d never, ever ask for it.” His voice recovered some of its previous vitality as he spoke, some of that rich tenor that accompanied his speech not all that long ago. “Ghouls aren’t Presented. We’re the servants. The Help, you understand. I’ll admit my position is rather elevated compared to most of my like, what you’re about to experience is the same as a new member of the society would. It’s necessary for you to be protected by the Masquerade rather than be in breach of it.”

The kindly old man reached out and took her hand, warm and soft with all of her youth. He squeezed and there was surprising strength behind his grip. “Paloma, you’ve done exceedingly well at Janus. You’ve seen first hand too what happens when you push too far in this life. Your… move to your new apartment is evidence of that. You’ve stumbled, sure, but you’ll see this dance through to the end. I’m sure of that.”

Paloma’s eyes watered. When Etienne had asked her if she had wanted a father, her answer was complicated. No, she did not want Etienne to be her father. Her feelings for him were what they were. But Stapes, his words floated and fell like those of family. Her hand felt what warmth was left in his own hand, and she blinked away a tear as she felt her breath had gotten a little faster.

“…All this time, I…I should have spoken to you sooner. I…I thought you were mad at me…I know, that’s…maybe silly, but I needed to talk to you because…because all this time when I’ve been afraid I realized that whether all of this goes right or not…you’re the closest thing to a real father I’ve had. And…” She gulped again. “I know I’m a screw-up sometimes and I have feelings. But I wanna do this all right, not just for Etienne, but…but for you too.”

“Sweetheart. I couldn’t have been mad at you, not for anything in the world.” He squeezed her hand again before pulling his own away for another sip of that Espresso. “Disappointed, certainly. I told you not to push Lord Saint-Francis and you did anyway. It’s difficult to blame you, of course. He draws people to him, like that old chime about moths to a flame. And yeah, I had to give you the cold shoulder for awhile; but that’s the price I pay for being his left hand. I have to reflect that displeasure, even if I don’t personally feel it.”

He sighed, setting the cup away. “You are right though- you should have gotten a hold of me sooner. You look a right wreck, which should be impossible for such a pretty, young girl. Now come on, tell old Nathaniel Stapes what’s really bothering you.”

“…I can’t let Etienne, or your honor, be hurt by something I do,” she whispered, “and I promised. I promised I would be the best. I would be perfect. I will be perfect. But I think about it, and while…while I did my work…I know it’s stupid, but…”

She let another tear fall, and she didn’t realize that it fell into her cup. “I threw a shoe at someone on the beach, that…what’s his name, blonde hair with glasses. Because he…I’m going to defend Etienne’s honor no matter what, and I’m not going to let anyone think I’m weak. I’m not weak. Kindness…it’s not a weakness, is it, Stapes?”

Her voice crackled with that last plea. Her words stumbled out of her, almost tripping in proverbial sand, but Mikhailov’s words about her Faith and kindness had truly struck in her chest. And she knew all of it would find its test in this Presentation. Yet after the dramatic event was still the rest of her life, and so the question loomed.

“Kindness…” Stapes began, then hesitated before barreling on. “Kindness is a gift, my dear. To give it, you have to render yourself vulnerable to others. Kindred… They don’t feel vulnerable very often, and they certainly fear feeling that way. But it can be powerful, as your time in the Janus has certainly shown you. The key, I believe, is understanding who deserves kindness and whom does not. That requires a wiser mind, or perhaps a wiser heart than most of us possess. As to this business about honor…”

He waved that aside. “I’m a Ghoul my dear. I don’t need it, and the Lord has had much time to fashion his into a near impenetrable suit of armour. You shouldn’t worry too much about such things, they’ll just make you crazy.”

“But you’re my family. The family I love, the family I care about. And that means honoring you. And Lord Etienne…” Her voice trailed. Even before the Kiss, she remembered how his shoulders shook when he was in front of her. When she spoke gently and did not yet first kiss him. Kindness was a heavy deal for Kindred, and he indeed feared it in a way. He feared that kindness could be so easily destroyed.

She thought back to her project, her presentation, her outfit. Everything would represent what she could give to the Masquerade. But everything would also represent her. The bright light that made her worth keeping around.

“I’m going to survive this, so that…whatever comes, I’ll use kindness to keep bitterness and sadness away from him. Even if it’s more from afar. I’ll…I’ll make him happy somehow.” She would not give Mikhailov the victory in her mind, but at the same time, she knew that Etienne himself would have to be the one to allow her to come that close, if ever he wanted her so close, and truly she had no idea of the potential of that possibility.

“Paloma…” Stapes said softly, “Just remember what I told you about how difficult that sort of thing might be- you’d have an easier time making the sun rise in the west and set in the east, I think. Settle for being happy yourself, and that would please me greatly.”

“I will do my best.” She had her own goals that she wanted to reach, and reaching them, knowing her worth and her abilities, would make her happy. All of the training she was doing was showing her that she had not paid attention to everything she was capable of learning. And yet as she burned bright, she wanted so much to pull the sun wherever she so pleased. If only she really could.

But she would not disappoint Stapes. He knew the struggle in her heart, and he was not trying to control or police her. No, he knew that she had enormous desires in her heart, and he was gently trying to guide her to use them in a fulfilling way. “I’ve spent…so much time stressing, panicking, fearing…and crying…from now until the Presentation, I’m going to focus on making myself happy.” Her voice shook a little, but she fought away the breaking feeling. “I found the dress I want for the occasion, I’m going to get it.”

“That’s more like it.” The Ghoul said approvingly. “I understand you had a line of credit made up in your name- you going to use it for any frivolous and fun purchases before your presentation? Nothing calms the jitters like spending someone else’s money- worked for me over the years.” He waggled his eyebrows at Paloma, “You should see my guitar collection.”

The image of Stapes jamming on a guitar brought back the young woman’s usual smile. “Wait, I want to see you play guitar! Sometime, obviously, I know you have to work tonight, but it would be wonderful!”

She wondered what else she might buy with such money. Etienne had recommended a spa. She thought about taking such an offer. “The piano in the apartment is beautiful, so I don’t know about that. But frivolous…maybe more paintings. The walls in the apartment are kind of bare, and I haven’t had a lot of time to decorate. I think I have enough time to make my little home a bit weird.”

“Eh, whatever makes you happy. The Lord Saint-Francis has more than enough money that he doesn’t care to see it spent by people who will actually enjoy it. But I strongly suggest doing something for yourself, and I know he already has too. If the both of us are agreeing on a course of action, how could it be wrong?“ Stapes leaned back into the cushioned seat, smiling in a manner he seemed to have learned from his master; it was smug satisfaction that managed to not look at all arrogant.

“Invite your new friends out some place. Live a little. If not for yourself, do it for Him. It was meant to be a gift, after all. Spurning one of Etienne’s gifts is a good way to draw his ire.”

Do it for him. Stapes could see the lingering emotions bubbling in Paloma’s eyes, and he knew what to say to assuage those feelings. Etienne would indeed be happy enough if Paloma used her gift well, and she thought of someone who deserved to be treated to something calm and perhaps a little luxurious.

“Eulalia…uh.” She looked at Stapes as she spoke her name to herself. “The Malkavian girl who was hiding in the bathroom at the Janus, I have her phone number now. I think we’ll spend some time this evening. She’s scared of a lot of things, but she’s not scared of me.”

“Well then. I guess you and that girl are going out tonight, aren’t you?” Stapes said matter of factly, that smile still on his face.

“Yes! After I retrieve the dress. Um…” She thought about what she wanted to say. “When it’s time, will you be coming with me…or just Etienne?”

Stapes shook his head, almost looking relieved. “No. My duties have never taken me to the Angelos Estate, and I rather keep it that way. Besides, who would run Janus if all three of us were indisposed, eh?”

“…I hope this will be the only time I have to go there. Seeing her was frightening enough once. But…” She shook the fear out of her head once again. “Just because I’m afraid doesn’t mean I’m weak. And when I go, I’ll…I’ll make you proud. I will.”

“Well my dear… You have to understand what a rarity you are in this world. Before you I only knew of one Imbued who played for this side. If She wants to see you for anything else at this point forward, She will. Etienne will have no choice but to oblige her. Just play by the rules and you’ll be more than fine.”

He was right. Anna might want her for anything. But Paloma would play by the rules, and prove that her own personal philosophy was still right and true. She took a deep breath. “I can do that. But before then, I have to make reservations for Lally and I to have some food and some girl-talk!”

A few moments later, as they would have both stood to leave, the younger woman would have waited for Stapes to stand before she pulled him into a tight hug. Etienne was most likely still too cautious for her to hug. She did not know for sure. But Stapes, she would hug him as hard as his bones would allow. “Thank you. I WILL make you proud.” She repeated her words, as if to drive them into her heart and his. “I promise.”

Stapes gave Paloma a soft hug in return, his smile warm as the sun in the east. “I know you will my dear. I know.”
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Devoted student of Alternative History
Proud Canadian

“What man is a man who does not try to make the world a better place?”
- Unknown

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:47 am

Paloma - Faith and Indulgences
November 27th, 2023, 5 PM
Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills

Eulalia had been born in essentially a shack, and her mother had drank away most of the money she earned from a dead-end job. She was lucky enough to have a uniform to take to school, and the clothing she had was a result of her two roommates discovering she had not bought new clothing in four years. The clothing she wore tonight was the nicest she had, an oversized skull t-shirt and leggings with boots of questionable quality, and she was shaking when Paloma told her that she was taking her to two surprise places.

“Ready to look?” The shorter girl had Eulalia’s eyes covered, partially to keep the surprise and partially to help her with her sensory Dementation.

“...Are there a lot of people?”

“Not too many. It can be pretty crowded.”

“Oh…Well…I’ll try. I promise I’ll try.”

“Okay! One…two…three!”

Paloma uncovered Eulalia’s eyes, and the blonde Malkavian neonate took a deep, deep breath before she looked up at the sleek, silvery Gucci store in front of her. More wealth than the girl had ever seen in two lifetimes, she whirled her curly head and stared at her friend.

“I…Lolo…this is…”

“Gucci!”

“This is…this is really expensive, isn’t it?”

“Mhm!” Paloma bobbed her head up and down, her eyes and smile twinkling.

“And we’re…going to shop here?”

“And anywhere else that’s not too crowded.”

Eulalia was shaking. She had no idea how one acted in such a place, how one behaved. If any of these people saw her Dementations, she was sure that they would throw her away. Meanwhile, Paloma watched her reactions carefully. This shopping trip was her own plan to get away from her stresses, but she was determined to follow her nervous friend’s pace and to make her happy.
“They won’t kick us out?”

“Naaaah. Pick whatever you want, I’ll buy it for you. We’ve got about two hours before we go to our next place.”

“Oh…okay…”

The two girls walked inside, and the young Malkavian woman stared around her at the luxuries hanging on hangers, hidden behind glass, and sparkling on shelves. A shop attendant who saw them greeted the duo, and looked toward Eulalia as she walked very slowly toward a pair of gold-studded black boots.

“Ah, sleek and a little dark, is that your style, ma’am?” The attendant walked over to her, and Paloma watched them both carefully. The woman took her time, and Lally managed to stay calm.

“Uh…uh huh.” Eulalia’s eyes were huge. She was almost afraid to touch the shoes. Nevertheless she held them, feeling the soft, sturdy leather against her fingers.

“You want to try them on?”

“Um…” Lally turned toward Paloma, who grinned encouragingly.

“I’ll buy you whatever you want. Go ahead, try them on!”

Not needing too much more gentle suggesting, the neonate tried on some boots in her size, and she gasped at how snug the boots felt. She looked down, and her eyes stayed on the black fabric for a few moments. She had never felt something so expensive on her own skin, never mind on her feet. “How…how much are they?”

“Don’t worry about the price! I’ve got it. You want to wear them, huh?”

Eulalia gazed over at Paloma, and at the attendant who nodded to her. “I do.”

“Then it’s settled! You can put them on when we go to the second surprise place!”

A blush, and a grateful smile. “Th…thank you…”

“Hey hey, we’re not done yet! Keep picking stuff! I promise, I’m not gonna run out.”

Paloma walked with Eulalia, whose eyes glittered as she continued to look upon jewelry and purses she never could have bought on her own. But her shorter friend was determined to be her fairy godmother, and so she showed Paloma a pair of gold earrings and a crimson clutch.

“Yep! I’ll get you those!”

“This other place we’re visiting, um…I…I need a better dress, don’t I? I…I look…”

“You look fine. But if you want a dress, I’ll get you one. There’s not any in here, so once we’re done just point to where you wanna go!”

“Oh…I can do that. I think.”

“Don’t worry. I’m not gonna let you get lost, and I’ll hold your hand.”

Eulalia smiled at her, and took Paloma’s hand as she reassured her again. Whether or not the Malkavian knew that they were about to spend more than $2,000 on a few items, she was just happy that her dear friend had come to spend this time with her.

Two more sets of earrings, and one more pair of boots later, Paloma rung-up the bill. She had whispered for the attendant not to announce the amount, in order to keep Eulalia from being overwhelmed, and so the transaction was calm and quiet. Just what it needed to be. The girls then left, and pivoted on the corner as they looked for a store that was not teeming with people.

“I saw…I saw a model walking around while I was waiting for you.”

“Uh huh. There’s a lot of them up here.”

“Do you hang with them?”

“I know names, but…no, I don’t hang with a lot of people.”

“You decided to hang with…with me.”

“Yup! Because you’re my friend, and as your friend I’m going to treat you to whatever you want.” Paloma did not get tired from reassuring the Malkavian. Every little smile and nod was a key unlocking the door to a very frightened heart, and those little clicks made the short Latina happy enough.

In another shop, Eulalia took a deep breath as she saw a gorgeous cocktail dress. A crimson frock with a sweetheart neckline, vintage puff sleeves and a slimming pencil skirt, it already matched her red lipstick. Paloma had also found herself a dress, a black dress with a similar pencil skirt and a low, feather-trimmed neckline, and the two women showed each other their finds.

“Lally, that looks beautiful!”

“It…I’ve never worn something like this before. Yours…yours is really pretty.”
“Put yours on, I wanna see it!”

“Okay…”

When Eulalia came out of the dressing room, her eyes were bright with wonder at herself. She loved Paloma’s outfit, but when she saw herself in a mirror, she covered her mouth. Something sparkling like tears came to her eyes. All her life, she had seen a bruised, broken, lanky figure of something like a woman, but not quite one. She ran her hands down the fabric around her hips, and adjusted the dress around her chest. When Paloma came out in her dress, she gave a quiet gasp, which caused Lally’s tears to drop.

“Lally, you look beautiful!”

“...I…”

“You look beautiful! See! It all matches! And with the boots? And the jewelry?”

“I don’t recognize myself…”

“Eulalia, you’re you!” Paloma held her shoulders. “Look, you’ve always been pretty. Now, you get to see yourself like…”

“The lady I never thought I was.”

“The lady you always were.

Eulalia turned back to Paloma as she answered her, and she sniffed. “I’m…I’m not gonna cry. I promise I’m not gonna cry.”

“You can cry as much as you want. But I told you, we’re not done yet! So pick this one, and one more dress, and I’ll be right back!”

Somehow, the blonde woman got out of the beautiful cocktail dress, and she put on her normal clothing to go pick one more look. All the while, Paloma snooped around for something else. When she found it, she grabbed a shop attendant and whispered something in her ear. In a swooping motion, they grabbed the item, rung it up, and placed it carefully in its own box. By the time Eulalia came with a second dress, she had no idea why Paloma was grinning the way she was.

“Did I miss something?”

“Nope! Found what you like?”

“Y…Yeah, I did!” The excitement glimmered in her eyes as she showed a second and a third dress. “I liked both of them.”

“Get them both! We’ve got to hit that second place soon. Pick one to wear and we’ll put our clothes on after we leave.”

More purchases, more secret prices, and a rush to the car led to the girls getting themselves dressed for the second half of their evening. Once again, Paloma had Eulalia cover her eyes, and the Malkavian practically held her nonexistent breath until they arrived at the destination.

“Okay! Ready to look?”

“I dunno, I’m scared.”

“Come on, you’ll love it.”

Eulalia opened her eyes, and she stared up at another sleek-looking building. This time, it was a restaurant. “...Aura?”

“It’s a Greek place! Chrissy told me you used to like Greek food!”

“I…I still do. Oh my God…” She blinked away more tears, this time carefully so as to not ruin her mascara. “And I can…use just a little Vitae, I think…”

“Yeah! So you can eat.”

“...Lolo, this is so pricey…”

“Bah! Stop talking about money, it’s not your wallet, it’s mine! Now come along, you look fabulous and we’re gonna eat like we’re fabulous!”

Eulalia could hardly argue with such confidence, and she tried to turn up her chin and to walk after her dear friend with some hop in her step. When they arrived inside, the interior was smooth obsidian and ivory marble, but with glimmers of the beautiful, sapphire-like gems of Santorini and other such beautiful islands. Elegant, wall-sized prints of the Greek Isles and the Mediterranean lined the walls, and small Greek statues stood in pairs at the doorways and corners of the building. The Malkavian woman felt as though she was walking on jewelry.

“Oh my…I can smell it. Tons of fish, tons of soups…seasonings!”

“A lot of it!”

“PASTA!” Both girls were excited, and the waiter who met them almost jumped before giving a snicker.
When they were seated, the same rule applied. Eulalia could order whatever she wanted, and Paloma kept waving away talk of prices and money. When they ordered their food-grilled haloumi and fish soup for Eulalia to start, and crab cakes for Paloma-the Malkavian sighed as she sipped her tea and realized she could actually taste it.

“...One day, I wanna go to Greece.”

“That would be wonderful!” Paloma exclaimed.

“Mhm…if I could…not be afraid of airports and people…I could do it. I’ve…I’ve been spending my time in the public library, teaching myself Greek. Since nobody bothers me there, it’s really easy.”

“What do you want to do once you’re in Greece?”

Lally put her chin on one hand, and sipped her tea with the other. “I want to study the history. You know, we learn it a lot in school, but…I want to know what it all means. If those battles did happen.”

“Like…”

“Like the Battle of Troy, and the whole Iliad. It feels…I’ve always felt…and now I dream…that those battles have never truly stopped.” She sounded now a little more like herself as a Malkavian. “We’re still living in them. War just…changes uniforms and weapons.”

Paloma nodded. “Some people fight with words and costumes, some people fight with their fists…”

“Bombs and tanks…and we’re Homer, telling the story.”

The Malkavian’s eyes swirled deep in thought, at least until the appetizers arrived. The fish soup was delicately salted, and the cheese was savoury and rich. She practically devoured the food, and then ordered her main course. When she managed a few moments to swallow her food, she looked back at Paloma and giggled. “I…I haven’t enjoyed an evening like this…ever.”

“We’ll have plenty more like it. That’s what friends do!”

“Well…I’m going to be a Greek professor one day,” Lally explained, lowering her voice as though she was giving away a big secret, “and when I become one, I’m going to treat you. And you’re not going to be able to argue with me about prices.”

The short Latina gave a laugh, as she continued to eat her food. She was glad to see the normally-shy woman in front of her actually laughing and teasing. “Do you like how you look in the dress?”
“It’s amazing…I…I just don’t want to get any food on it.”

“You’re fine! That’s why I keep telling you to relax. This is a great evening for that.” Paloma had to convince herself of that as much as she had to convince Eulalia. Any hour, the Prince could call her to her Presentation. And she would be swept away, to be there and ready on the clock whenever. She had her gown carefully prepared just in case.

But her friend had no such stresses, and they continued to talk about whatever she wanted. The Greek language, her roommates’ attempts to get her to meet boys, trying to get into college, things that normal women discussed. Even in such a high-end restaurant, where they were respectively served fagri and lobster, they felt like normal girls just enjoying each other’s company. Such a feeling was worth more than any credit line, that of a genuine friendship which had budded and now bloomed.

“One day, I want to try and go near a church.”

“Huh?”

“A…A church like you attend. I’ve heard you’re…you’re sort of special. I had some questions…questions about…faith.”

“Like what?” Paloma leaned a little closer as she finished more of her lobster.

“...Some of them are a little personal for here, but…Greece has so many beautiful churches, and I’d…I’d like to enter them without feeling scared. So I want to go in one with you. I haven’t…been in a church by myself since I was a teenager.”

“Well, one day soon, we can do that!”

“And…we can pray.”

“Of course we can pray.” The plucky brunette didn’t even question the idea. After all, with the fight she had with Etienne over faith, Eulalia’s simple suggestion was no scare to her.

“And when I go, I’ll pray for you. And for all of your dreams. Because…you’ve listened to me talk about mine.”

Now came Paloma’s turn to feel tears in her eyes. Her dreams were complicated, and almost too difficult to explain, but Lally did not see such complexity. She saw a kind friend who deserved an act of love from the heart. And so all the girl could do was nod, in order to keep her own tears from falling. “That’s incredibly sweet, Lally. Thank you.”

“See? I told you. One day, I’ll treat you and make you happy, and you won’t get to argue with me about it.” She gave a small smile, as she bit into and finished her fish. As she lightly wiped her lip, and noticed a tear rolling down Paloma’s cheek, she went and ordered her dessert. A sweet, nutty baklava. When it arrived, she had a fork for both of them. “See? Here’s to our friendship. May it last for many years.”

Paloma looked from the sweet dessert to her friend, and she wiped the tear that still lingered on her cheek. The dream of having genuine friends, that was certainly one she could, and did, accomplish now.

“Amen.”
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:24 pm

A Court Gathering

The Camarilla was like all old institutions of a hierarchical peer-based society full of formality. But also, one of old protocols and long-standing traditions seldom able to be bent and never broken without repercussion, often of a severe sort. As such, when the Master of Los Angeles and Southern California as a whole sent out the call for a gathering of the Court it would be a significant affair. As a result, the Mansion which served as the base for the Camarilla's top-down hierarchy of Prince to Primogen and thence to the Clan members and their servants was decked in opulence. The location of the gathering itself would be in the new detached pavilion house located deeper in the Mansion's property. Amidst a forested area blocking all but a single view of Los Angeles. Its foundations built into the side of a hill with the cool Pacific breeze rustling boughs ever so gently. The pavilion itself was marble floors in laid with semi-precious stone mosaics and a mirror smooth marbled grand ballroom. Pillars edged in gold leaf bearing electrum cherubs and bat motifs. Diptych's depicting Cainite history in embroidered alcoves. It was if the pavilion was part Orthodox Church of Vampirism and a chique Belle Epoque gala.

The mansion itself was largely closed to the Court save for the public galleries and lounges. All other access was blocked off and sealed by thaumaturgical wards. Sentries in black combat fatigues holding Kalashnikov rifles, faced obscured my face masks and helmets, added further deterrence.

Entrance to the gathering was long as a line of limousines and SUVs lined the road. LAPD officers in the pay of the Prince directed traffic and upon entry to the gates personnel were intercepted by security in black tuxedos. Every person allowed entry was on a list, a list of all Camarilla vampires and their associates, before being allowed past. There, and parked, the guests would be put through a screening of their clothes for weapons or dangerous substances. Once complete they would be allowed access to the Mansion and its amenities of pools, spa, food and drink, while getting to the Pavilion which is where the Prince already was would only be accessible via walking.

A walk which met a second security check that was much more thorough for it was no longer black tuxedo wearing human security. It was the black uniformed soldiers of the Black Legion. The Prince's dedicated human paramilitary force with their webbing and equipment arsenal able to make public military units of major powers blush. If one could look at the whole perimeter of the pavilion, they would see it was ringed by these soldiers, patrolling, or hunkered down in positions with heavy weaponry ranging from machine guns to even a pair of mortars.

Immediately, if one made it past this screening, they would be forced to walk through a warded section of the path which scanned for sorcerous malcontents. Overseen by statues on the path and upon closer observation dotting the woodlands. These hulking statues actually being the Prince's own Gargoyles. Crafted by her own hand and thaumaturgical skill. Their eyes warily looking into every detail of an individual guest. Then finally, at the pavilion itself, you would be met by the medieval armored warriors of the Rothai. Raziyon of Sopron, Captain of the Rothai, Scourge of the Countess of Transylvania and Prince of Los Angeles, oversaw this final checkpoint with unceasing vigilance. Silently, he observed as individuals were allowed past their halberds and blades. The rooftop flanked by more Gargoyles leering down at would be threats. The interiors would feature Rothai guards at attention. The Vampiric knights standing still as stone at their posts. Their mirror-polished armor and long black horsehair plumes giving them a noble appearance despite the fangs in their mouths and blazing electric eyes characteristic of the bloodline of Angelos.

The Pavilion itself was surprisingly pleasant, kept warm for the Ghouls and Human servants more than the Vampiric patrons attending, with finest of beverages and cordials available upon request or passing order. Hefted on silver platters by wait staff in fine silks and tailored clothing. Here the Courtly divides were seen as the Clans typically congregated together. Tremere vampires drifted closer to the Prince's dark throne at the North end of the hall. With the Prince herself in a seemingly tense conversation with the mayor of Los Angeles' wife. A long-term Ghoul of the Angeloi and the eyes of the Prince in the mayor's own home. The wife's long silk pink dress complimenting her platinum blonde hair and blue eyes. Of course, the beauty paled to the Prince's own eldritch and utterly inhuman charm. That would only become more apparent when one looked closer at the physical gestures of the pair. For the Prince was now clearly dictating something to the wife who could only bow her head and curtsy periodically in acceptance of every verbal directive given. Yes, they were dictations to the Prince's spy, to influence mayoral decisions within the city. After all, the Mayor himself coming to such an event would be too public and potentially set unwarranted eyes to this locale. But the wife? Possible deniability and an effective weapon to keep the man in office under the Prince's thumb. That, and the Mayor's son was married to an Angeloi revenant given specific instructions to murder said son if the Mayor crossed with Anna even once.

Of the other clans Ventrue drifted the second closest, more as a self-grandstand move to seize tables closer to the right-hand side of the Throne. The Clan's recent reorganization under the energetic Etienne seemingly putting renewed pep into the step and stature of the Ventrue vampires. Opposite, curiously enough, were the Malkavians which held the chagrin of the Nosferatu nearby. It was clear that even with Bulehard, who was the first Primogen to arrive, being an obvious Pro-Prince supporter, it was not at all sufficient in stemming the Anti-Malkavian sentiment among the wardens of the underground. In a way, it was trademark, this apparent unwillingness to approach power and reluctance to attention on the part of the Nosferatu. In reality, the Prince had given them the largest hunting ground by square meter in the form of the entire underground of Los Angeles. This privilege the Nosferatu jealously kept and as a result the Clan reported on almost every coming and going, from street worker crews of the Kine to the secret travels of the Kindred, but it was almost. Vampires of different clans and lineages could only so loyal to one another let alone within their own ranks.

Next, the Toreadors who curiously parked up next to the Ventrue in opposite to the Nosferatu, then the Brujah who split ranks into opposing parties since the death of Manning. Mixed in with loyalist Gangrel who did not depart on the betrayal of Meitz some years earlier, as part of the wider Gangrel schism with the Camarilla Sect. Finally, furthest away were the members of more far flung and lesser Camarilla clans. Banu Haqim and even a pair of Lasombra neonate outcasts who had thrown their lot in with the Camarilla.

Revenants, Ghouls, and trusted Human servants were allowed entry but mandated to stick with their vampiric patrons and barred from the intermingling save when attending their Kindred master.
Resident Fox lover
If you don't hear from me for a while...I'm inna woods.
NS' Unofficial Adult Actress.

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:15 pm

Etienne Saint-Francis - The Lying Stars- A collab between Luminesa and Oblivion2
November 28th, 2023, Evening
The Highway

Things were strange as far as Paloma would be able to tell. Etienne had begun by picking her up himself in the Mercedes Maybach, with its lines of smoky blue-black sensuality. Oftentimes he’d allowed her to drive, or gotten a driver for himself, but tonight the Ventrue Primogen had insisted.

Secondly, he had explained to Paloma as he started the car and gunned it out onto the streets of Los Angeles that Anna had called a Court meeting, which meant that the smaller audience Etienne had planned for would be replaced by a veritable who’s-who of the local Kindred. Thirdly, he voiced his worries aloud about whether or not someone understood what Paloma represented and had manufactured this court meeting in an attempt to make a play at clan Ventrue. It was unlikely, he admitted, but still something someone could do.

All told he suspected it had more to do with Anna having several irons in the fire, and wanting to both handle those as well as clamp down further on her control of the Kindred in the city with Houghton’s passing.

“I’ll have to give her Tribute.” Etienne explained. “I have a few items that may interest her and potentially expand my reach at Court a bit, but there’s a possibility she may ask for more. She could ask for you even, and I’d be unable to even raise a stink about it.” He paused and glanced over to his right, looking at Paloma as he merged onto the highway. “You look lovely, by the way.” He was dressed finely himself, having dusted off the Armani Tuxedo again and having his hair cut short for the evening. It would grow back as it was when he had turned all those centuries ago in the following evening, but for tonight he suspected a new look would suffice.

Paloma had prepared well for her presentation. She had gone over her speech several times, both to the mirror and to her computer. Her posture was perfect, and she had her curtsy fixed to a perfect little sweep. Most importantly, however, she had her artwork ready when he came for her, and she neatly packed away her things in the back of the car. Only after they were put carefully in storage was she able to flaunt the outfit she had pulled together.

Her hair was up in a curled bun, one she had gotten done at the salon maybe two or three hours ago. Carefully, she had left it in place, and had almost walked as though she had books on her head. A couple of spiraling strands danced around her ears, dangling along with the silvery star earrings which rocked back and forth as she walked. As she walked, her dress was huge, but in the way she liked it. A black silk number with a burgundy ombre that rose like a performer’s curtain from the bottom hem of the dress. Ruffled and flowing in the back, and high enough in the front for her legs up to the knees, she would have no problem dancing or moving around in it.

Getting inspiration from the Prince herself, she had her makeup dark and red, from her crimson lipstick to the burgundy eyeshadow that curled softly over her eyelids. Her lips curled into a little smile as Etienne complimented her. She sat in the back, hands in her lap, and she kept her posture high and ready. Knowing what was coming, she was prepared, and now she relaxed and gazed out the window.

“I think she’ll like what I have to offer. I’m still scared, but…talking to Stapes and spending time with Lally helped. They were the people I needed to see the most, beside you.”

Etienne shifted smoothly, dancing from lane to lane with an ease that seemed to belie how fast they were traveling. It would occur to his passenger that he had likely been around for the invention of the first automobiles. The Maybach purred under his touch and the Primogen grunted his approval. “You’ve spent your time well. The artwork will be a tribute I think the prince may approve of- you’re limited by your means, so she’ll see it much more positively than if I were to bring it myself.”

He spared her another glance, “Besides me though huh…” His tone was low and even. “I don’t think I’d have done much to help you with your nerves, Miss Clark.” He said before turning his attention back to the road.

“Well, I guess my means were limited more by time, but…” She trailed off as Etienne glanced toward her and lowered his voice. She swallowed her words, and she was lucky that the plum blush on her face covered the real color underneath just a little. The speech she had for Anna was concrete and behind a steel trap, but her words toward Etienne always seemed to melt away under a wave of shyness when he spoke kindly to her. “...Well…it’s always good seeing you.” She managed a bright smile in the midst of a quick recovery. Paloma would be able to spend her time being nervous once this night was over. For now, she was perfect, a perfect lady in every way. Mary Poppins would have been proud.

Etienne sighed and then surprisingly smiled a faint, rueful smile. “You are an absolutely irrepressible little sunflower, you know that?” The Primogen said as he weaved through a column of traffic before taking an exit towards the Prince’s Manor. “You’re wasted on this world, Miss Clark. Never, ever forget that, or let go of that for that matter.”

“Mon dieu, I hope we can pull this off tonight.” He said after a long pause, he could see the lights of the manor looming in the distance some miles away. It was a large structure, reflecting the power of its mistress and the sight of it always made Etienne just a little nervous. Naked power had not been the way of things in Europe, and the more he knew about Anna the more he had begun to equate her with some primeval predator; something far older, more graceful, and deadly than he could ever be. Something that wasn’t afraid to move boldly either.

The smile on Etienne’s face, even under the mountain of what Paloma knew was stress, brought her a calm that made the butterflies in her stomach sit perfectly still on the windowsill of her heart. He murmured under his breath, but she knew that he believed in her. His calling her a sunflower, however, did bring just a little more of a blush to her face. She let it sink back down her neck, however, when she saw the manor in the near distance. A shiver ran down her mostly-bare back, as she knew the rare display of power that was commiserating before her. So many cars, so many people, so many Kindred in fabulous outfits and glittering jewelry. But she had confidence in her own look. Even in black and red, she was in fact a sunflower.

When they came close enough to park, she leaned forward and took his hand for a quick, gentle squeeze. On her middle finger was a little ring which gleamed, a gold crown-shaped fixture. “We can do this. We will do this. Just have faith.”

“Faith.” Etienne said, that rueful smile tugging at his lips. “Of course, how could I have forgotten.” He gave Paloma’s hand a squeeze before pulling the keys out of the ignition, tossing them to a valet and coming around to open the door for Paloma. He reached his hand out for her and helped her out of the sleek sports car. When she got to her feet, he offered her his arm like a true gentleman ought, “Shall we?”

“Careful with those, thank you!” She spoke to the valet who helped her with her artwork and easels. She then looked to Etienne, who offered her his arm. She gave her biggest smile and took his arm, knowing that both of them needed it in a way. They were walking among wolves, among briars and thorns, and she was a sunflower. His sunflower.

“Let’s do this.”

Etienne led her through into the manor grounds. They passed the first security sweep without much incident. Etienne carried no weapons with him and his tribute had been whisked away out of an attaché case from the trunk, along with Paloma’s art. Every now and again he’d stop and exchange a few words with the kindred here who were worth his time and notice, though when the subject came to Paloma he always artfully deflected the questions.

Still they moved further and further, with the security getting more and more intense at each checkpoint. The Prince was taking no undue risks. As they entered the Pavillion, the beating heart of tonight’s festivities, Etienne nodded gravely at Raziyon, “Captain.” He said, bowing respectfully. It was always good to pay homage to the man or woman who held the keys. A Herald announced Etienne and his guest as he spied the various tables and then nodded his head towards the section the Ventrue had taken up. “Go and have yourself a seat over there. You might recognize some of the Kindred from the Janus, I need to go and glad hand for a few minutes; pay my respects to my fellow Primogen and all. I’ll meet up with you in a moment.”

Paloma nodded and curtsied beside Etienne whenever he bowed. She hid the fear in her face, knowing that if she thought enough, much of this party was full of people all too similar to the rich crowd with whom her parents liked to commiserate. Of course, the guards were not just for show, and tonight was not just any gala. But she brushed away any thought of panic or catastrophe. Smile, nod, and “hello” when greeted, a smile and a curtsy when met by someone of higher rank. She could do this.
When prompted, she moved to go sit with the Ventrue. Some of the neonates looked over, and at least one jaw dropped.

“Look who’s all pretty tonight!”

“I’m Presenting.”

“Ahhhhh.” They looked from her to another at the table. “Well…it’s scary, but at least you can people-watch.”

Paloma indeed looked around to see who she might spy. Bulehard was the first Primogen to arrive, and he certainly looked his part. She could not get a good look at the leading lady, who no doubt was busy entertaining her many, far more important guests. But seeing a familiar face here or there helped.

Etienne made his way through the Pavillion, shaking hands and trading jokes. He made especial care to stop by the tables of the Malkavian, Toreador, and Nosferatu Elders. To Malkavian and Nosferatu he gave very brief and discreet status updates; all was going well on his side of things and could begin in a week's time. They had all seen the riots progressing into a fever pitch in San Diego and along the border. Some of the riots had even managed to slip south into Mexico and would likely make the response from the Sabbat even slower; Malkavian had definitely pulled a rabbit out of their hat for this one.

The Ventrue primogen would wander, occasionally adjusting his sapphire cuff links as a sort of nervous tic, until he finally returned to the table to sit beside Paloma. “Won’t be long now before she brings the court to Order.” He remarked in a low tone. Then, he would see just how careful his planning had been.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:27 pm

Alexei and Mikhailov - Blood Offerings
November 28th, 2023, Night
Outside Pavilion, Anna’s Residence

The streets were lined with cars, a tapestry of dark elegance which stretched up and down the roads around Beverly Hills. Mikhailov hated driving in such circumstances, and he had a groan nesting behind his teeth as he rolled down the stretch and saw yet another block that was full.

“How many over-made Kindred in overpriced cars does it take to make a Court?”

“Enough to probably beat the actual GDP of the state of California?” Alexei murmured as he turned ever so slightly from gazing out at the passenger’s side.

“I didn’t need an answer, but I suppose that’s true enough.” Mikhailov adjusted his suit and tie, knowing that if he had even a speck of dirt he might be beheaded. Especially if Anna’s mood turned somehow. “Why even are all of these people here?”

“Rich Kindred have events just like rich people do. Galas, parties…”

“Well if it’s a party and Bulehard is there, I expect for some drunk Kindred to be laying on the ground outside while he screams, ‘WORLD STAR!’ and films it.”

The former Inquisitor next to him chuckled. The Nosferatu Primogen had gotten rather boisterous at Etienne’s performance, but he had not caused much property damage at the very least. “Plus Silvanus did say there was something happening tonight. He wouldn’t say what though.”

“Right. Primogen and their secrets…” He sighed, and stared next to him. “Another BMW. How many traffic accidents do you think these Kindred have caused?”

“More than LA normally has?”

Mikhailov rolled his eyes. “Do you have the tribute?”

“It’s in the back, yes. In case we need it. Honestly…she should be paying us, killing Houghton should have been tribute enough.”

“What’s an empire without the petty need for traditions, Alexei?”

This time, the silver-haired man did not answer the question.

When they finally found parking, they walked out, and the Mage walked over and fixed Alexei’s tie. The shorter man looked annoyed for a second, and then curious.

“What’re you…”

“Now now, she might hate me…but for some reason she tolerates your existence a little more than mine. So look nice.” His voice was soft, a little too soft, and the former Inquisitor wondered what else might have been on his mind.

Either way, they looked ahead, and the sleek behemoth of the Prince’s mansion loomed over them. A dark shadow, reminding them of how they could never escape the Masquerade. They could only ever draw closer and closer.

“I suppose we ought to let the guards know we’re here, and we’ll wait outside.”

“Agreed. I think we can handle a little more waiting. Not much more, though…”
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:16 pm

Holding Court

Anna, dressed in a crimson, sultry, red dress trimmed in black lace, her bosom impressive as much as the figure below it, turned toward the crowd and as one they met her gaze. She gave a curtsy to them all in welcome and in return was met by deeper bows and curtsies from all. Moving to her throne she sat down, with Raziyon entering and taking up position off to the righthand side, and with him two other Rothai. One bearing a fierce battle axe which would be Beaufort and another holding a staff, Reinhardt.

Now, unsaid and likely rehearsed by the Clans present, came the time for tribute. Bulehard rose first and gave a bow, "Your Grace, whose beauty like the twinkling of a thousand stars, I come before you with the following," he half turned as a quartet of Nosferatu vampires came forth bearing two large chests. Opening one was a set of paintings and tablets, "Original works from France, Italy, and those held in the United States carefully sourced by my associates. Tablets, of Akkad, Sumer, and Troy."

Anna jolted forward and in a blur was standing before the chest. Her face a wide grin and hands up, splayed, like a giddy young woman with presents. "A mighty fine gift, you have out done yourself Bulehard," she reached up without taking her eyes of the tablets and stroked Bulehard's chin. If the Nosferatu could blush, he would have been beat red, and could only stand there until she retracted her hands to reach down and take up the tablets.

"Ah," said Bulehard as he pulled out a handkerchief to dab the non-existent perspiration on his forehead, "the second gift your grace is much more mundane I'm afraid, so apologies for the early climax."

The second pair of Nosferatu opened the lid to reveal gold, silver, Spanish coins, and various assortments of jewels and jewelry easily worth over ten million dollars. Anna gave it a partial glance and nodded in acceptance. Evidently still enthused about the tablets more than anything else. The Nosferatu moved the chests over to the right of the throne were Angeloi footmen took them into a rear room. Bulehard withdrawing as Anna returned to her throne, while the Toreadors were called forth.

Outer Grounds

As Mikhailov and Alexei pulled up they would be allowed entry under the name list for Silvanus' servants. Moving into the outer grounds but upon reaching the checkpoint to the gala they would be stopped by troopers of the Black Legion who quite gruffly held out a hand to physically stop Alexei and Mikhailov. "You will have to wait in the outer grounds, Papist, Mage," for the soldiers evidently had been briefed on who they were.
Resident Fox lover

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:46 am

Death and Other Mysteries
November 25th, 2022, Evening
Garou Ritual Site

It was a somber evening at the Drunken Irishman, being one of the few occasions that it was actually shut. The pack was idly waiting around, crates of whisky ready to be picked up off the tables. Tonight was the night when they would honour the passing of their recently fallen members by the telling of tales, both raucous and heroic, about the fallen Garou and consumption of alcohol. A long howl by the pack as a whole was to finish off the rite, to mark and honour the passing of lost packmates.

However, the pack was to travel via the Umbra to a spot outside the city closer to nature and thus Gaia to perform the rite. But before they could depart, the pack waited for Alexei to join them though this was more out of courtesy than anything else. For Morri it brought mixed feelings having her chosen mate accompany the pack, especially how strained their relationship had recently become. She was also anxious to break even more bad news, that after everything they’ve done to get Kaya there was another much trickier obstacle to tackle.

But when Alexei arrived, Morri ran over to him and threw her arms round him. She whispered in his ear, “We need ta talk” as she embraced him, then spoke much louder for the pack to hear. “I heard ALL ‘bouts the fight, glad yer still in one piece.”

Knowing that his surroundings were only safe for a short time, Alexei still gave as much of a gracious smile as he could. He was in good company, and he hoped that all of his efforts, and Silvanus’s, meant that his dear friends were safe enough. “I’m lucky, to be honest. Which is not something I can say very often. We’ll have to see what the rest of the night holds.”

He returned her hug, knowing that all of the affair had no doubt been painful for her. Looking her over as he pulled back a step, he saw that she was missing part of one finger, and he shuddered in his stomach. “You wanted to talk about something, does it pertain to Kaya?” he whispered, as they got a moment in the murmuring crowd to talk.

“There's a few things we need ta talk ‘bouts.” Morri replied. “Some o’ ‘em do ta pertain ta Kaya.”

“I’ve recently come across a way o’ tracking somebody down.” She continued, shooting a look at the Thuerge Cormac as she stressed the word recently. “Yeah, it could’ve saved a load o’ trouble had I known ‘bouts it sooner.”

“Alas, thought I’d put it ta good use now.” Added Morri. “Ye know ta see if I could locate where Kaya, our daughter, was in case Anna proves….tricksy.”

Alexei nodded, his expression simple and calm. Of course, he could have gotten angry at her for not knowing a way to find Kaya earlier, but then again, he knew how hard Anna had made things. When he himself had been in the Prince’s captivity, he had barely managed to survive, nevermind escape. “Well, that will be good to discuss hopefully after this funeral…I hope our friends’ sacrifices have not been in vain.”

“They fulfilled their duty ta Gaia, that counts alot fer most garou.” Replied Morri. “Sure, though go easy on the booze and steer well care o’ anything Cal offers ya…”

“Alright, alright, lads, please take a minute of your time to hear an old man here, will ye?”

Amidst the crowd, Connor’s voice rose. For the last days, the usually talkative and somewhat provocative Garou remained quiet: while the warriors of Gaia gave their strength against Houghton, someone had to hold the fort down and keep the entire operation running. And although Connor trusted Alexei, the company formed by the caring father and patient husband was one made of men that reeked of bad intentions.

“Ye know… I’ve been in a fair number of fights. Fair is a kind word for the number, I don’t count these things… sounds stupid, y’know? Yet some of those young Garou - may Gaia give them strength - who are here today may ask what is the hardest part of this struggle.

Some of them would say that is the physical part: getting shot, stabbed, thrown, burned, the entire package that hurts our bodies and minds.Wounds take long to heal even with the blessings we’ve been given as the Garou we are, and the creation of tolerance towards pain takes time, just like the creation of a proper weapon at a forge… or a proper beverage.

Another group would say that it is the preparation: the strategy. To hold your own anxiety, to trust that your plan is the best work you could’ve done without the ability to see the future. You do know that a strategy is nothing more than an attempt to control your Fate and by doing so, you mock it. We all know that, I suppose. And that very particular space of time… where you are so near to execute the plan, yet it didn’t start yet led many men to their downfall.

I could list them, but you are anxious for what I think, eh?

Hardest part is…This moment. Ye know, when the dust settles and we are all here, gathered for a nice drink and a nice meal, tending to our wounds and celebrating our plans… until we feel that we’re one cup shorter. Some voices in the crowd don’t sing along with us.

And then… we all notice that they won’t be joining us. Never again. We lost partners in poetry and the lust for life that defines every Fianna that is present here. And we have to deal with it. For the wounds we sustain hurt our bodies, our ill fated plans hurt our intelligence, but the loss of our brothers hurt our very souls.

For this, Fianna, I say: drink and laugh! Drink, laugh, eat and drink for those that no longer will do it. Carry them in your hearts and may their memory be a pillar, but not an anchor; may your tears never drown you.

This is for the ones we lost now, and the ones we lost back then. And for then, I say: Sláinte!”

Connor’s heartfelt sermon tugged at Alexei’s heart. The Kindred were often such frightful beings, shrinking away from vulnerability, compassion, and companionship alike. Garou, or at least Connor’s tribe, did no such cowering. They embraced the pain with happiness. Fighting as soldiers against a strange evil, and dying in battle, was something to celebrate. He felt even more sorrow at the loss of these Garou, even if he had not known the fallen very well. What a strange sensation to hire men as mercenaries, and to see those mercenaries were indeed loved and treasured. The Inquisition had shown no such honor to the silver-haired man himself, except for Maxwell and for his own father.

Nevertheless, Alexei joined the proclamation of “Sláinte!” and drank down some of the wine in his glass. He was not very hungry due to nerves and grief, but also because he wanted to find Morri and to know what she had wanted to discuss. Her voice was urgent, and he wondered if their overall situation had changed.

“Morri? Hey.” He hurried over to her in the midst of the chatter, and he lowered his voice just enough so others could not hear him. “What did you want to discuss?”

“Yeah, a few things like I said…but let’s go someplace quieter.” Replied Morri, then lead the way to a quieter spot. She hesitated for a moment, thinking over how to say what she wanted to tell Alexei. “So ‘boats Kaya…”

“As I said, we tried doing this rite ta see whether we could find out where she was.” Morri explained. “Good news is that she doesn’t seem ta be with Anna no more.”

“Somehow she’s with the Fae instead.” Continued Morri. “Not sure how, but tis an improvement.”

“The Fae and us wolves, me tribe especially, have gotten on well together and in some cases count each other as kin.” She added. “Kaya would be recognised as being o’ garou blood, so possible the Fae may have rescued her from Anna…I doubt Anna would’ve willingly given her over.”

Alexei was glad he had a drink in his hand. The Fae. He listened to Morri explain, and he chugged down the glass. The Fae. The Fae had Kaya. Not Anna. Not after he had spent two weeks hunting and fighting Houghton in order to get her back.

“…Morri…I may not be an expert on the Fae, but do you realize how big of a place the Fae Wyld is? How long have you known this? Do you realize how many different Fae could have taken her? Do you realize what it takes to go into the Fae Wyld and to find someone?!

Before he could raise his voice and begin to draw attention, he sighed, and he got another glass of wine. He was not here to fight, but to show his respect for the dead. Yet the knowledge of his daughter’s change of hands put the funeral near the back of his mind.

“In two days I was going to prepare a tribute, bring it to the Prince, get our daughter, and come home. Simple as that. Now I will have to go to the Prince and discover which Fae has her, and what I can do, if anything, to get Kaya back from a realm I don’t even know how to travel to. I can’t just get on a plane and go to the Fae Wyld, do you understand that? And furthermore, the Courts will very well know she is of Garou blood, and there is a very big chance that depending on the particular Fae, they may not care at all. Do you understand how this does not make the situation better?”

“Yes.” Sighed Morri, looking visibly deflated. “Especially after the whole Houghton thing.”

“Though we know know o’ a way ta track her down and me lot are used ta dealing with the Fae, as in actually talking ta ‘em.” Morri continued. “Still not good but tis a slight improvement.”

“Yeah tis still rotten all round, another hurdle and all that but Kaya’s Garou blood should grant her protection.”

Alexei shook his head, trying to wrap his head around an issue which now he could not even put his head around on a better day.

“…Protection…Morri, the Fae can do almost anything. They’re not bound by the Masquerade. They’re in their own land. If we can track her, that’s one thing, but we have to get her. And if you’ve ever had to make deals with the Fae, you don’t. Making a deal with the Prince, who might as well be close enough to a Fae, is what has brought us to this point in the first place. And we will have to make a deal, or ask for her help, to find Kaya a second time, because if she went missing under her nose, and a Fae stole her, she is also not happy. Do you understand that we are basically back at square one?”

“I’ve dealt with Fae and yeah, they can be tricksy bastards.” Morri replied. “But end o’ the day I’d take a Fae over a leech.”

Morri let out a heavy sighed. “Last thing I wanna do is have anything ta do with…her, but ya right ‘boats being back at square one.”

“Gah! I’m getting fecked o’ with stuff not going right!”

“I don’t think you realize how…how fluid the Fae are. You know they exist. You’ve vaguely dealt with them. You have some Fae blood, which you have passed to Kaya. And then you are already banned from the Janus, under threat of death if even you walk within the same neighborhood, and Pentex has not entirely forgotten that you and Cal exist. But if you were to make even the slightest mistake with a Fae, in their Court, your existence and that of many, many other people could be put into jeopardy. I don’t want that to happen.” He shook his head as he gave another pause, his voice verging on a break. Morri seemed to believe once again that things could be made simple, but such was just not the case. He only continued once his voice was stable enough.

“Even worse, I have other obligations as well, now…but I will talk to the Prince about what can even be done. If she knows this has happened…we will find a way. If she doesn’t…she’s going to find out. And you need to stay with Caitlin, and stay safe, until I know for certain that nothing is tracking you or hunting you. Because believe you me, the last thing we need is for a Fae to be actively trying to kill us.”

Morri grabbed hold of Alexei and stared intently at him as she said. “Look! I know I’ve screwed up recently and that I should’ve listened, but give me a fecking chance here!”

“Me and Cormac.” She said, jerking a thumb in the Thuerge’s direction. “Can go and speak with the Autumn Court, see if we can gets some answers. Tis his job ta speak with the likes o’ the Fae. He’s also pretty adept at getting around the Umbra.”

“So please, let me help…let me do this fer Kaya.” Pleaded Morri. “She’s much me daughter as she is yers.”

Alexei frowned. He looked toward Cormac, and took another drink of his wine. It wasn’t enough. “Listen. One thing at a time. I am having enough trouble keeping up with…this. I need to talk to The Prince. Then, when I learn from her what would need to be done, I will also talk to Cormac. There is nothing that can be done right this moment, except to let Connor know, which is what I’m about to go do. Until I determine what exactly happened, and what is the nature of her disappearance, I do not want you rushing to do anything. We’re here because I hired on people to help me in a fight where they died. I will not dishonor Connor, and anyone else, by letting you run into another situation where you and probably several other people will die.”

Morri’s shoulders sagged when she let go of Alexei’s arm, though she still held her gaze at him. “Fine, just don’t cut me out o’ this.”

He turned away, and began to look for Connor. As the head of the Garou tribe, he would be surrounded by friends and family. He found him, and prepared himself for a possible outburst.

“Connor, we need to talk. It’s about Kaya. I don’t know if Morri has told you, she should have, but I know you’ve been kept in the dark, and that’s not fair to you. You are Kaya’s godfather, after all.”

He took a deep breath, and lowered his voice. “I would tell you another time, but everything is very time-sensitive now, so I apologize in advance…Morri says that she and Caitlin tried some sort of tracking Magic, and Kaya is with the Fae. I don’t know which Fae. But that means that she is not with the Prince of Los Angeles. And I have maybe two weeks to make sure she is at least safe, when I thought two days ago that I would have her back this week.”

The onslaught of bad news never ended. The death of his companions was something predictable; one should never enter a battlefield filled with the hopes of leaving alive, at least not without proper preparation. Kaya’s disappearance bothered him deeply - and that’s putting it lightly - and the seemingly never ending quest for his godchild got deeper.

“Eh… We’re fucked.”

Now with a bottle in hand, Connor quickly opened one just for himself and drank down a sizable portion of its contents. The Fae.

“You see, lad… I don’t think I need to lecture you on the nature of the Fae, given your previous line of work and all of that… but you see, there’s no magnet to help us find the needle in the haystack here. And worse: we do not know if she was taken from Big Bad Lady, or if she was given to them. First scenario: we’d be right at her aim. Be it for the occasional alliance, be it to eliminate competition before we can regroup.

Second case, this could mean a lot. From the Fae rescuing her from people they deemed not worthy of raising the kid, to seeing in her potential we do not know about. However, countless times I’ve been told and countless times I’ll say… they’re tricky. We do not want to rush this.

So, Alexei my dear lad, what I suggest is: Find out how she escaped the Prince, and from there we can talk about stuff. But I need to tell you, Alexei… the pack suffered a fair bit with the Houghton deal. We may not be able to help you to the same extent.”

Another attack at the bottle seemed to rekindle Connor’s spirits. He knew better: the pack couldn’t launch an attack on the Fae, or the Vampires, without nearly damning themselves.

“But you can count on the assistance of this very, very tired and old wolf.”

“When this is all over, you and I and a few others are taking a very, very long vacation, and I’ll be glad to pay for it.” Alexei whispered, his own tired voice elongating his gratitude more than a simple ‘thank you’ ever could. He made sure that his voice was low enough that only Connor heard him. Luckily, with the raucous activity around them, Alexei was sure he was fine. “I’ll be seeing the Prince soon, and then we’ll get the bottom of it. Or closer to the bottom of it. Just…don’t let Morri or Callum do anything rash. I can’t afford it, and neither can you. And frankly, neither can most people in Los Angeles if ever the Fae were to be angered.”

“Eh, vacation isn’t something I’m dreaming of… just regular problems, ye know? One that doesn’t send me to the realms of the Fae to rescue the daughter of a Hunter and the unluckiest Garou I’ve ever met, who happens to be related to Vampires older than taking a shit while sitting down, and who’s also my godchild. Just the old blow a Vampire center here and there, oh the good days… tell me once you’re set up, Alexei.”

“Will do. Thanks again, Connor. I’ll be seeing you.”

Morri hung around until after Alexei and Connor had finished conversing, a slightly anxious look on her face as she spoke to Alexei. “So…erm…ye going now or are ye gonna, ye know, stay the night?”

Alexei turned back and looked over at Morri, as he walked away from his longtime friend. A dove’s wing of a sigh escaped his throat, and he knew that any other time, he might have said yes. But his head creaked left and right.

“I’m sorry, Morri. If I’m going to get Kaya, I have a lot of preparing to do. I need a tribute, and I have several people I need to meet. I’m not done with what I have to do. If I didn’t have to deal with the news of Kaya being even more missing…then perhaps…not that Kaya being taken by the Fae is your fault, of course. But my life does not get easier.”

He pivoted his body back toward her. “Do not go near the Janus. Do not even go within a mile of the Janus. Do not let Callum go within a mile of the Janus. Stay here, with Caitlin and company, and do whatever they ask you to do. I promise you, everyone is better for it if you are safe.”

He then turned back away, and began to make his way through the crowd, doing his best to avoid talking to anyone. Leaving Morri behind, while carrying the information she had given him, hurt enough on its own. Trying to socialize with anyone in such a state only reminded him how empty he felt in so many crowded rooms both past and present.

“Ya not getting away that easily.” Came Morri’s voice as she put her hand on Alexei’s shoulder and yanked him round before giving him a kiss. “I’ll do me best ta stay outta trouble, but don’t forget Kaya’s our daughter.”

Alexei felt his body get jerked around in a split second, and before he had time to react, Morri had pressed her lips to his. The same loving way they would have done maybe two weeks ago. He blinked, as his guard had been down against it. And he still did not know where his relationship stood, if at all. Nevertheless a blush rose to his face, but he did not invite it to stay for long. “Morri…this is a do or do not do. ‘Try’ isn’t enough. Please…please listen to me. Now I need to go, I have a cab waiting for me.”

He then hurried off, giving even less time for her to try again. All the while his head was down, and for once he wished he was a shadow on the floor.

“Bye…” Morri said quietly as Alexei departed.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:19 pm

Paloma - A Learning Curve
Tributes and Presentation, Anna’s Mansion

When the time came for the ceremonies to begin, the crowd became more hushed. Paloma could feel the already-low temperature sinking in the room, and she almost wished she had brought a coat or a shawl. But not a shudder was given, none except the very slightest movement from her end. A reminder of how she differed so much from those around her in the Prince’s Court.

The Prince herself looked like a dark goddess, draped in crimson and black lace and flanked by the dreadful Rothai. In a way, the silence in the room was almost comforting. She was not the only one who knew that little room for error existed. Now was the time to earn the Prince’s favor through gifts.

Bulehard, ever the strangely familiar face, went first. Paloma paid attention to how low he bowed, how slowly he stepped, how careful he was in choosing his words. Of course, as Mikhailov had picked-out the girl’s own attractions to Etienne, she could easily divine that the Nosferatu Primogen was enamored by the Prince. She did not blame him, she was vastly more beautiful than anyone else in the room.

The first sign of true emotion that Paloma had seen from Anna came when she received the strange, ancient tablets. They looked like something pilfered from a museum, but she knew better than to question or show emotion now. She would nod and clap with everyone else when necessary, and otherwise she would be sweet and silent.

Nevertheless, she was quite amused internally at the way Bulehard’s smirk arose to his face as Anna stroked his chin. She knew exactly what she was getting out of him.

But the ride was not yet over. Clan Toreador received their call, and Paloma looked around the room for their Primogen, a certain Kensington. While she did not see him, she saw Silvanus-or Dimitriev-and a group of neonates around him.

She took a breath. One of them wore an elegant red cocktail dress, one that was all too familiar.

“Lally…”

Eulalia paid no attention to her, as she had her own matters to which she had to attend. She was under Silvanus’s care, and was training in the same social etiquette as Paloma. The plucky Latina knew, however, that in her eyes the poor Malkavian was trying desperately to hide her fear of being in such a large crowd. Neither of them, living or unliving, could escape such social necessities, no matter how painful they were.

“It’s gonna be okay, Lally. I promise…”

Paloma wished she could have whispered those words to her friend. But she had to pay attention, to watch the pattern, to know that she herself could complete this Presentation just like the pros.
-Alan Jackson

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Etienne Saint-Francis - Like No Other
Evening of November 28th, 2023
Angelos Manor, Outside Los Angeles

Etienne had returned to his seat by the time tributes had begun. He watched as Bulehard kicked off the time honoured tradition with a gift of ancient tablets. His bright eyes missed little as he saw the legitimate excitement on the Prince’s Face at receiving such a gift, and in the touch she had graced Bulehard with. She was a vision, of course. Beautiful in a primal yet collected sort of way: Etienne could see quite easily how she could become the object of one’s desire. Even he wasn’t immune to those sorts of tugs at his baser instincts. Fortunately, his instinct was tempered by a healthy degree of caution, and the reaction those tablets elicited only served to further Etienne’s caution. There seemed to be a certain time period of antiquity that the Prince gravitated towards. Of course it could simply be an interest or a hobby for her, but Etienne was more than willing to believe there was more to it than that. The facts just didn’t add up many other ways…

His thoughts ran so deeply that he almost didn’t realize that Bulehard had finished his tribute and that Kensington of Clan Toreador had delivered his tribute; a set of well preserved Ottoman blades, from an important Janissary or Commander, Etienne hadn't quite caught which. That meant that it was his turn. He inhaled once and then exhaled, a motion designed only to calm his churning nerves rather than deliver oxygen to any long dead organs. He held up an index finger to Paloma in a wait gesture as he got to his feet, adjusted his cuff links and made to present himself in front of the Prince.

“Etienne Saint-Francis of Montréal, Primogen of Clan Ventrue!” A crier announced as the Quebecois Kindred sank down to a single knee and bowed his head lowly. “Your Grace,” Etienne began, “It is my honour to appear before you this evening.” He got to his feet, allowing the smallest of coy smiles to play about his fair features. “As always, I bring you a tribute like no other and I hope that they please you mightily, as much blood and effort have and will be spent in their procurement.”

He gestured for a footman to bring Anna his attaché case that had been brought forward during his security check in. The servant bowed as the case was opened, and a folder with bold red letters reading War Plan: Crimson on its surface was revealed to the Prince of Southern California. Etienne had bet big, attaching himself to what was essentially a Malkavian task. He’d spent ceaseless nights preparing for the invasion of San Diego, planning meticulously with his advisors and with the clans Malkavian and Nosferatu to see it happen. The how of it was all laid out for Anna; numbers, troop dispositions, battle plans, intelligence reports, the state of the riots in San Diego and the surrounding counties as well as a draft of the proclamation of martial law that the governor’s office would soon be making. “The information in that case represents the addition of a new and bright jewel to your crown that I and others like me shall labour to bring you. Given the nature of the documents, I put myself at your disposal should you have any questions or concerns regarding anything you find contained within.”

He had kept his description intentionally vague, as it wasn’t general knowledge that Anna had tasked Silvanus with the invasion; let alone that Etienne had attached himself to the effort and had helped forge a working agreement between not two, but three clans to see it done properly. He suspected Anna knew; she had ways of finding these things out, but the Ventrue Primogen suspected that she didn’t have the full picture. He and his compatriots had been very careful to keep as much of this information contained, hell it was likely that Silvanus and Bulehard had both spread disinformation to keep others off their scent. Etienne had.

“My second gift to you is as precious as it is unorthodox.” He gestures for Paloma to come and join him in front of the Prince and her electric presence, flashing a grin to the poor Kine whose heart was undoubtably hammering in her chest. “Your Grace, I would like to present to you, Miss Paloma Clark. I would ask that you recognize her as a member of this Court and allow her to serve the greater Camarilla cause as a whole, as she has served me for some time now.” The other kindred in the room seemed to murmur that, as the woman was clearly still living and yet Etienne had made no mention of Embracing her.

“For you see your Grace… Miss Clark is one of the Imbued… So as my second tribute, I would like to present for your approval: a Miracle, for all Kindred of this city and truly a mighty boon for the Camarilla.”
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:09 pm

A Court Gathering

Anna had accepted the Ottoman blades gracefully and let the Toreador return to his seat when Clan Ventrue approached. The Quebecois and relative newcomer to the Primogen Council was nervous, Anna had heard his brief inhalation, but she did not show any sign of acknowledging it. Then of course there was the gesture to the girl among the Ventrue, she was Human, Anna could smell the blood in her arteries. But the attache was brought out and she was handed a folder with red lettering. War Plan: Crimson. His tribute was plans for war against the Sabbat? He was planning to stake the honour and standing of Clan Ventrue, and apparently those of Malkavian and Nosferatu on delivering the city of San Diego. No doubt, with the plan of ruling it as her regent afterward. Typically, the Camarilla would appoint a separate Prince but the Sect, increasingly besieged, had to resort to some new yet orthodox compliant means of administering territory. A Prince's territory was malleable and while for the past few centuries had been largely city to city, town to town, now it was becoming like the Old Days. When a Prince was a Prince of a territory not confined by municipal boundaries but of fief and land. How she preferred it.

"Less tribute and more a promise, with this one, I shall be ordering the presence of every Primogen that had a hand in this Plan be here tomorrow night for a special session of the Primogen Council. Mandatory or I'll have a successor in your position by the end of next night."

She snapped the attache folder close and handed it to servant who sequestered it away in a back room. Then there was the unorthodox gift of the girl. "Imbued, in Los Angeles no less," Anna seemed to glide forward till she was in front of the girl. Staring down at her. Then walking slowly around her, "Miss Clark do you know the circumstances of your imbuing or the extent of what that means?"

Nearby the Rothai approached a few steps forward with Raziyon placing a hand on the pommel of his sword. Beaufort and Reinhardt similarly readied their own weapons.
Resident Fox lover

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:22 pm

Paloma - Hats Off To The Bull
November 28th, 2023
Presentation

Paloma continued to wait her turn. Her leg was bobbing under the table, but her face kept cool and calm. She had to show that she was willing to take the pressure of the evening and to throw it back. But she could not lie and say that she was not terrified. All of these figures were so much more powerful, and their offerings seemed so much more special. She looked around the room, and saw that one of the Ventrue servants had brought part of her Presentation, the paintings. Her time was coming, and she watched the clock, so to speak. Seconds counted away until the most important few minutes of her life, and suddenly most everyone in the room became a blur. She did not even realize that people might have been looking at her. Her face became stone, blocking the world from seeing the very human emotions swirling in her chest.

At least, until in the midst of the blur, she saw Etienne smiling broadly in her direction.

The one, brief breath of salvation, the happy look. Even if he was as anxious as she was, he would never show it. His eyes were as bright as the chandeliers, with something that almost resembled hope. And Faith.

At his command, she hopped up, all 5’6” of her in heels, and she walked gracefully as she forced her steps to be womanly and precise. Her dress gave a show of sorts, high enough in front to show her steps as she coordinated them, low enough in the back for the sleek fabric to bounce and sashay along with the dress’s owner.

Her introduction from Etienne certainly was powerful enough. She was a miracle. A strange wonder to behold, and not in the way one might see a sideshow act. No, she was in the center of the stage now, and a few feet away was her judge and jury in a crimson dress. Crimson and black, black and crimson, living and unliving, firm antiquity and unstoppable light now facing each other.

“Hail to the beautiful Prince of Los Angeles.” Her voice was her own, cheerful and vibrant, but measured like a scoop of cinnamon, just a little at a time. As she gave her greeting, she also gave a very well-practiced curtsy. Even if it might have been harder to do in her heavy Carolina Herrera gown than it was to do in her work clothes or a t-shirt and jeans, she managed just fine. The smile she had when she popped back up was her first sign to herself that she was starting well.

“My name is Paloma Maria Lucia Clementina Angelina Dominguez Gallego-Valdez Clark.” Perfect pronunciation, but then again, it was her own name, and her mother’s native tongue. I come today to present myself as worthy of joining your luxurious Court. I have witnessed those who have come before me this evening, and I am honored to be a part of such good company.”

Whether or not one could actually consider someone like Bulehard or Silvanus as good company was not necessarily the debate. Her words were genuine, as Paloma only had good impressions of them both. Her smile twinkled, natural and sweet. She could not give herself height, but she could always make the atmosphere around her shine.

“I believe that by the end of this Presentation, I will have properly demonstrated my knowledge, my skills, and what I have to offer to the Court as a knight and a servant.” With her opening statement, she prepared the paintings, each on their easels. She would leave them hidden under their respective coverings for dramatic effect, first as she demonstrated her knowledge of the Traditions. Six of them, as she had memorized. Each time she took a step, she made sure to do so for effect. The performance was as important as the knowledge.

“As Lord Etienne stated, I am a rather unorthodox addition to the Court. You asked me how I discovered I was an Imbued, and what that means. Well, to begin, my father is a jeweler. He owns Clark and Co., there’s one in Beverly Hills not too far away. I heard a message in my head, telling me to ‘set the lights’. And so as I walked inside, I had the inspiration to…create, to make something that shined, as the message said. And so I arranged the jewelry in the shop. Which sounds strange, I’m sure, but I arranged it into the image that inspired me, a pair of sparkling blue eyes. And once I did that, the voice seemed happy.”

She paused, as she tried not to focus too much on the Rothai. She followed Anna’s gaze, wanting nothing but to please this terrifying pillar of dark grace. “As for what it means to be an Imbued, traditionally, I am told that Imbued do not stand as allies with the Kindred. However, I found myself in Lord Etienne’s good graces, and I sought to work to please him and to please you, by extension. In the meantime, I determined that being an Imbued simply means to be a light, to present some sort of miracle, and to be the sword and shield of whoever’s employ I am in. And as I have been in Lord Etienne’s, I have sought to be that for him. If ever you so wish to use my skills, I hope to be that for you, Your Majesty.”

She gave a respectful, perfect little curtsy. She then faced Anna, and looked to the rest of the crowd. A breath, and a dive back in.

“I am sure that perhaps some might wonder what a human woman, only twenty-two, could understand of the ancient traditions of the Masquerade. And that is the first of them that I understood-the Masquerade. All of you are foundations, builders, and movers of what is this illustrious kingdom. And as a part of it, I must protect it. Can an Imbued protect what lies between shadows and light? I believe I can.” She once again gave a smile around the room. “The Masquerade must be preserved, for the peace and the tranquility which we wish to have. And preserving the peace of a kingdom starts in preserving the peace…of a home.”

She nodded to the building above and around her. “This beautiful demesne, or the underground sewers, or the houses and homes of neonates, or the mansions and castles of old. All of them are to be respected, as per the tradition of respecting one’s Domain. Per these first two Traditions, I have and shall honor the homes of all Kindred, and their rules, and their hospitality. After all…” She looked to Etienne, and then around the room, and then back to Anna. Any moment she could flash her eyes back toward the Ventrue Primogen revived her spirits when she needed a pause, but Anna was her focal point. “Hospitality is sacred. Working in the Janus, I’ve made sure firsthand to respect the wishes of its esteemed owner, and to make sure that patrons are both happy and recognizant of his wishes. And having entered your domain, your Highness, I hope to show my utmost gratitude for your own hospitality.”

Her expression then changed, but Paloma made sure not to be too theatrical. Yet her eyes being so big, and her gaze being so clear, one could not help but follow her eyes if they were so inclined.

“And these things are good, but as an Imbued, as I mentioned, I am not only a servant, but a soldier. And so I must protect these Traditions, and also three others. The relationship of a Sire and their Childer, and the authority of your Majesty to allow more Childer to enter the fold, is a contract I will defend. And as for Accountability…I am accountable for my own actions. I hold myself routinely to a high standard. And I hold others to the standards I hold myself. But most importantly, I will hold others to the standards under which I find myself, as your servant. And they are indeed high standards. And finally…as a member of your Court, good Prince, I will honor your power over life, and over death.”

Paloma paused, as she finally completed her speech on the Traditions. She let her words sink in, simple and full of resolve. When she did need to fight, she knew where she stood. And she stood by Etienne, and by the words she had told her, that she would fight to kill if necessary. Anything to keep his honor intact.

But now came the climax, her own tribute and her presentation of her knowledge of the Clans. As she had combined the two, she figured they would fulfill the requirements at the very least. Yet ever striving for perfection, Paloma had made her paintings as beautiful as her hands allowed. And when she saw her work under the limelight, as she unveiled the first painting, she could not help but reveal the biggest grin on her face as she whirled back to face her audience.

“Excuse me. One must never have their back to someone when they’re speaking to them, don’t mind me.” A little of her usual playfulness peeked through, and the warmth which normally marked her voice sprinkling along in her speech. A spoonful of cinnamon, once again.

And so she revealed the very first painting on a good foot. Anna herself, with her beautifully dark countenance holding a tome, a gigantic, Gothic castle towering behind her. She figured she would start with the absolute best, and she surprised herself at how well she had even captured Anna’s eyes. They glittered in contemplation in the image, if one looked closely enough.

“And now, my work, as my Tribute and as my understanding of the Clans. For you, your Majesty, the Tremere. The sorcerers and the wisdom-holders, represented in you. After all, if your Clan did not hold the knowledge of the ages, how many of us would be lost?”

She nodded to the next painting, which was an even more brilliantly-colored image. The bull and the woman in the rose garden, which had almost caused for her to faint at her workspace, glowed in bright hues of rich burgundy, peach skin, and gem-colored locks surrounded by verdant roses and thorns. The woman, with her own vermillion hair, looked quite a bit like a particular Antediluvian who was the most beautiful of the Toreador.

“The Toreador! Now, my own family has some heritage spreading back to Spain, where the Toreador means something slightly different, as you all know. But the Toreador, in a way, are the bull and the bullfighters. I would be remiss if I, as an artist myself, did not give proper honor and respect to the Artists of the Camarilla.” She gave a smile toward Kensington’s table in particular, and a sweet curtsy. Kensington was not a Primogen she knew well, but he looked and presented himself as grand and charming. Even, of course, if he was not even second in her heart.

Another veil fell. Clan Malkavian, represented by the beautiful silvery image of Silvanus gazing toward the moon. If one examined the image, he wore a brooch. Paloma had noticed that he liked brooches, when she had seen Dimitriev at the Janus. This brooch was a silvery cracked mirror, which shined just as brilliantly as the rest of the artwork. “The Malkavians. I spoke of the knowledge-keepers of the Tremere, and with them are the Seers. Those who have watched the world unfold through layers of time, who see another perspective and keep it as treasure. And the Masquerade is, after all, about keeping the treasures of inheritance close for the ages to come.”

She looked to Silvanus, and she gave a curtsy. Poor Eulalia, sitting near him, almost wanted to give a curtsy in return, and their eyes met for a just a moment. Yet the younger Neonate had a look of hope. She saw the cheer in Paloma’s eyes. Belief. Beautiful, sweet belief.

Such beautiful belief glowed inside of her chest, even when she presented her image of Bulehard for the Nosterafu. Then again, she had done a good job representing him. Making Bulehard look “pretty” was pretty much impossible, but she definitely highlighted what was better about his appearance. And dressing him in white, in the same outfit he wore to the Janus, presented him as standing-out as a firm leader in the darkness.

“And the Clan of the Hidden, whose art is in communicating in the shadows. The lifeblood of the Masquerade requires for careful watchers, for careful seekers. And Lord Bulehard’s longevity and grace are hand-in-hand for such success. Having met him most recently during Lord Etienne’s performance, I can attest that I found Clan Nosferatu to be wonderful guests as well.” She gave a curtsy toward Lord Bulehard, and a happy grin. While they were not “friends”, he had certainly not mistreated her or spilled drinks on her during her work.

She revealed Gangrel, and then the Gargoyles. Keeping pace, she knew more of the Gangrel than she did of the Gargoyles, but her work was still excellent nonetheless. The woman standing among wolves in the image looked both untethered by the world and its fashions and also dignified and brave.

“For Clan Gangrel, connected to nature and to the earth, and champions of combat. Their ancient knowledge of the earth makes them unique, but all clans are unique, are they not? And therefore they are deserving of honor.” She curtsied in the direction of the Gangrel, before turning to the Gargoyles. Their image being that of the stony-skinned beings looking out from atop a castle’s walls. “And the Gargoyles, guardians and warriors themselves. Watchers of a kind for the Tremere. The dignity of guarding such treasures as these enormous castles and domains, and fighting for their safety, belongs to them.” She curtsied toward the Gangrel.

And now for the last image. She unveiled it, and she gave the smallest pause as she looked over the crown which had glittered under her hand. Ebony and bejeweled enough to make a Rococco designer sigh with glee, and holding it was a pair of hands rising toward the sky. The sparkle reflected in her own eyes. Everything she had worked toward. Everything she had worked to protect. Turning back to keep her audience, she nodded.

“And lastly, Clan Ventrue. The Kings and Kingmakers, and the Patricians. The definition of what makes a crown has changed through the ages, but the hard work of holding a crown, and making it shine, has not.”

Turning toward Etienne’s table finally, she gave one last curtsy. But her heart pulsed, pounded with the love she could have further spoken. And she wondered if perhaps with more strength she could have painted Etienne himself. But she decided that such an occasion would be for later. If she was given that “later”.

Now she looked back to Anna. “I hope that such an offering pleases you, that the skills I have shown are also pleasing to you, your Majesty. I stand by them, and I hope to continue to give my all through the ages, as long as I live. Thank you.” One last deep, perfect curtsy, and then a brilliant smile when she arose again. Paloma took a breath.

Her Crown Jewels, and she hoped now that they were enough.

“If you have any further questions for me, your Highness, I hope to answer them well.”
-Alan Jackson

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 pm

A Court Gathering

Anna watched as she responded, as she rotated to face her but otherwise did a very good job for someone, mostly human, in keeping cool. The answers earned a slight nod from the Prince and as the paintings were revealed Anna's demeanor would drift from small smile to small frown. Either pertinent to individual pieces sparking different reactions or to keep Paloma uncertain as to her fate. It was neither here nor there and any Kindred who'd gone through at least one Presentation ceremony before would know this common ploy of Princes. When Paloma was finally finished the diminutive girl, least when put next to Anna who was taller than average for a woman even with the addition of heels, looked at her up and down once more, then suddenly turned and walked back to her throne without a word. Sitting down she crossed her legs and looked at Etienne with a peculiar look stretching somewhere from acceptance to disdain, or perhaps disappointment.

"Bulehard would you recomment the Lady Paloma?"

The Nosferatu Elder perked up and was silent for a moment as he read the room. Locking eyes with Paloma, her life no doubt now firmly in his hands, and what could the fate be given by the Jack Nicholson-esque looking vampire. "A bit unusual," said Bulehard as he looked around the room, "normally we'd have her deceased and dumped fifty miles out at Sea," the Elder grinned which earned some smiles from several other Vampires, "And our dear friend Etienne would be shamed for years," some more smiles and sneers depending on Clan, "but, if ya gotta go, you go with a smile and Paloma has quite the lovely grin," Bulehard picked up his class by the stem, showing the Manhattan to everyone as he raised it up, "I say welcome."

"Very well, the girl is one of this Court now. Congratulations," responded Anna. Servants swiftly approached and took the paintings while Raziyon re-sheathed his blade completely. The other Rothai returning to their positions as other Clan presentations followed. All of which went rather well as the Primogen and members of each Clan had taken extra care in choosing candidates. The Camarilla would in total feature eleven new members.

At that a herald shouted a beginning of nightly festivities. Music began, a lovely orchestral ball dance, as finger foods and drinks came forth. Many bottles full of an oddly viscous red liquid that could only be blood. Some bland, some fresh, some tinged with different flavorings and blood types. The Prince herself seemed to pour a surprisingly scarlet and rather alluring liquid into her own goblet. As if the liquid itself emanated some form of power of its own. Not that you could get a closer look as the Prince remained seated and Raziyon's hawkish vigilance swiftly kept scanning the room.
Resident Fox lover

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:01 pm

Imperialisium wrote:A Court Gathering

Anna watched as she responded, as she rotated to face her but otherwise did a very good job for someone, mostly human, in keeping cool. The answers earned a slight nod from the Prince and as the paintings were revealed Anna's demeanor would drift from small smile to small frown. Either pertinent to individual pieces sparking different reactions or to keep Paloma uncertain as to her fate. It was neither here nor there and any Kindred who'd gone through at least one Presentation ceremony before would know this common ploy of Princes. When Paloma was finally finished the diminutive girl, least when put next to Anna who was taller than average for a woman even with the addition of heels, looked at her up and down once more, then suddenly turned and walked back to her throne without a word. Sitting down she crossed her legs and looked at Etienne with a peculiar look stretching somewhere from acceptance to disdain, or perhaps disappointment.

"Bulehard would you recomment the Lady Paloma?"

The Nosferatu Elder perked up and was silent for a moment as he read the room. Locking eyes with Paloma, her life no doubt now firmly in his hands, and what could the fate be given by the Jack Nicholson-esque looking vampire. "A bit unusual," said Bulehard as he looked around the room, "normally we'd have her deceased and dumped fifty miles out at Sea," the Elder grinned which earned some smiles from several other Vampires, "And our dear friend Etienne would be shamed for years," some more smiles and sneers depending on Clan, "but, if ya gotta go, you go with a smile and Paloma has quite the lovely grin," Bulehard picked up his class by the stem, showing the Manhattan to everyone as he raised it up, "I say welcome."

"Very well, the girl is one of this Court now. Congratulations," responded Anna. Servants swiftly approached and took the paintings while Raziyon re-sheathed his blade completely. The other Rothai returning to their positions as other Clan presentations followed. All of which went rather well as the Primogen and members of each Clan had taken extra care in choosing candidates. The Camarilla would in total feature eleven new members.

At that a herald shouted a beginning of nightly festivities. Music began, a lovely orchestral ball dance, as finger foods and drinks came forth. Many bottles full of an oddly viscous red liquid that could only be blood. Some bland, some fresh, some tinged with different flavorings and blood types. The Prince herself seemed to pour a surprisingly scarlet and rather alluring liquid into her own goblet. As if the liquid itself emanated some form of power of its own. Not that you could get a closer look as the Prince remained seated and Raziyon's hawkish vigilance swiftly kept scanning the room.

Paloma - Silver Linings
November 28th, 2023
The Presentation

With the last bow, with the last rise, Paloma now stood completely still as she awaited her judgment. She hoped that nobody could quite see the beads of sweat which fell down her perfumed neck. Her hands were numb, but she did not even clench and unclench them to return feeling to them. She could not afford to show the Prince that she was scared in any capacity, even though she knew that she could not truly hide her feelings from Anna.

Her heart was about to jump out of her chest. She did not even glance at the Rothai, whom she knew could have walked to her to chop her head from her neck at any moment. Their beautifully vicious obsidian armor was primed for an execution, and their faces showed no pity, no mercy to the fleeting nature of the human emotions which stirred in the small Latina in front of them. They knew, and they did not care. They only saw the Prince and the orders she might give. All the while, the Ave Maria played in her head, the same hushed prayer which she had prayed in her dream.

"Dios te salve, Maria, llena eres de gracia, el Senor es contigo..."

The Prince could have turned to almost anyone for their approval or disapproval of Paloma's continued existence. She could have picked Etienne, Silvanus, or any one of the Elders. The young woman whipped her head toward Bulehard when she heard his name, and her body felt a heave. She had been respectful to him, she thought she had done well. Perhaps her good work would grant her a reward, a necessary one. The reward of life.

"Bendita tu eres entre todas las mujeres, y bendito es el fruto de tu vientre, Iesus..."

But Bulehard had nothing but a grin on his own face. He saw the smile plastered on the terrified young woman's face, and he responded in kind. Always one for theatrics, as with any Primogen, the Nosterafu began his speech as though he might turn against her. She would not blink. She refused to blink. Her eyes itched with the possibility of tears, and she gave him her undivided attention as he held her life in his hands. And then, between his cold, dead, claw-like fingers, he left her life fall...

Back onto solid ground.

The Prince declared that Paloma might live. She had not heard any of the sneers or snickers, not with her heartbeat pounding nor with the Hail Mary bouncing in her mind. Even when the coast was clear, she hardly realized when the servants took her lovely tribute and the Rothai moved away from her. She gave another perfect bow, automatic, but her hands and feet were still cold even as she spoke her thanks. "Thank you, merciful Prince. I shall make you proud." She hardly felt her lips make the words, but she felt they were sufficient. Only when she followed Etienne back to his table and sat down, greeted by the relieved and encouraging faces of the Ventrue around her, did she realize she had made it.

Alive. She was alive. She watched the other Presentations, taking note of them as much as she could. She had done well, she knew she had. For someone who had only a couple of weeks of practice, versus the years of practice the others had, her success was bizarre and unheard of for many. Yet here she was. And once the music began, and the dancing started, she felt someone else barrel into her with a tight, crushing embrace.

"...Lally?" Paloma's voice was dreamlike and confused.

"You did it! You did it! I didn't know you were being Presented, but you did it!" Eulalia, with her baseline Kindred strength, managed to whirl Paloma around before giving her another hug. "You did it! How do you feel?"

What a question. She let her shoulders rise, and then heave, and then she graciously accepted a sandwich which she ate as daintily as possible. "Hungry."

Eulalia giggled, and she accepted a glass of the red, viscous liquid which she gratefully drank. She did not get many opportunities to dine well without drinking from others, after all. "'Hungry' is' a good word. And uh...Lolo?"

"Yeah?"

"You look beautiful too."

Paloma blinked, and now, finally, the tears sparked her cheeks. They would not fall completely, but she hugged her dear friend and let her feelings settle back in her stomach before speaking again. "Thank you. Thank you so much."
-Alan Jackson

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:04 pm

Etienne Saint-Francis - Circles
Anna’s Manor

Etienne watched the reactions in the room as Paloma made her presentation for the Prince. His gaze only occasionally touched upon the Prince’s face, knowing that her facial tics were merely part of the game. No, he watched the other Clans in attendance. They after all would potentially be his largest problem in the hierarchy of the Camarilla. Jealousy, admiration, boredom and desire could be seen in equal measure throughout the Pavillion. It wasn’t every day that a Primogen arrived in Court with an Imbued in tow. Then there was War Plan Crimson; few in the room knew exactly what those plans entailed, but they had certainly caught the attention of the Court.

For better or worse, that put Etienne in an interesting position in Court. Only time would tell if he had managed to plan circles around everyone else’s plans.

The Frenchman’s face remained an impassive mask as Anna turned to Bulehard for the last judgement upon Paloma. The Nosferatu Primogen was in a good mood, no doubt basking in the Prince’s praise and Etienne recognized the maneuver for what it was; The Prince could maintain her iron hard reputation, and Bulehard would continue to gain her favour for allowing himself to be moved on the board in such a manner.

Boeing lowly, Etienne kept his eyes downcast as a gesture of humility, “Your wisdom is only matched by your beauty, your Grace.” Etienne said as he dipped low. “As always, I remain at your service.”

He cleared the Court floor and returned to his seat, allowing his mind to wander about and consider just how he’d deal with the Primogen Council. It was one thing dealing with his erstwhile allies or the Prince separately, but this would be both at the same time in addition to any of the remaining loyalist Primogen. Truly, a difficult situation to be in. Etienne returned to reality long enough to cast a glance towards Paloma who had recieved a visit from her Malkavian friend. She seemed at ease for the first time tonight, and completely in her element now that she had the Prince’s blessing. Without much thought, he got to his feet and came around to Paloma’s part of the table. “Miss Clark.” Etienne said easily, “Congratulations on your success, I knew you wouldn’t let me down.” He smiled at the Malkavian Kindred before turning his attention back to Paloma. “Here,” He said, taking the Maybach’s Keys out of his jacket pocket and handing them to Paloma. “I suspect the Court Maneuverings tonight will keep me late. Take the car and head out whenever you feel the need- take your friend if she so desires too. You deserve to be able to celebrate however you’d like.”
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Paloma - Keys To Life
November 28th, 2023
Presentation Completed

Paloma continued to have only a basic knowledge of the upcoming war council and of the fallout which would result. She knew that her dear friend was hugging her and celebrating with her. The other Ventrue were relaxing with the main ceremonies finished, but Etienne's mind was full of plans for the night and the near future. In the meantime, he would bide his time and wait to see what the Prince would expect of him. But Paloma's expectations had been fulfilled, and so one less worry existed for everyone for the night.

Her hands and feet began to warm again, as she had another sandwich and took a deep breath. She was exhausted, but satisfied. More than satisfied, more than relieved, she did not have a proper word to describe how happy she was. The food was not enough to fill her stomach which had been drilled by adrenaline, but she would eat when she got home.

What filled her with happiness the most was seeing Etienne slide over near her and tell her that he was proud of her.

A blush filled her face, as his presence filled the space in front of her and he smiled at her and Eulalia. To Lally, the proprietor of the Janus was effortlessly charming and kind, and she curtsied to him in a little more of a clumsy manner than Paloma had done for the Prince. The latter girl who knew him better knew that elsewhere, she might have had a more dramatic reaction to his praise. Yet she had to control herself in front of the Prince, and so she gave a broad smile and her eyes glittered brightly. “Th-Thank you, Lord Etienne,” she murmured.

When he handed her the keys to leave, she felt her breath finally return. Etienne would have to stay for a meeting, possibly related to whatever plans he had announced at the Presentation. She could leave at any time. Paloma smelled freedom, and she was glad that she could escape the evening.

Even if she really wanted to escape with him. But escaping with Eulalia was good as well.

“Would you be able to go with me? I think we both need some air.”

Eulalia looked over at Silvanus’s table. “I…” She then looked over at Etienne. If he had made the suggestion, she was sure that her own Primogen would approve of her leaving with her dear friend. “…I think he’ll let me go, I’m not needed for anything here. I’ll just let him know…”

A few moments later, as Paloma sat still reeling from the intensity of her Presentation, her friend returned and smiled at her. “We…we can go…I think. He looks busy.”

“Okay! Let’s hurry out, I’m sure the traffic getting out of here is going to be horrible.” Paloma turned back to Etienne, and she gave a little curtsy and a smile. Her friend followed suit. “Thank you once again, sir. I’ll see you soon!”

And so they navigated through the crowd. Soon things would clear a little more for the war council meeting, and they were ready to spend the rest of the evening relaxing. As soon as they hopped out the front door, the air seemed to bend just a little, to allow them to breathe and to walk freely. If the skirt of her dress was not so heavy, Paloma would have skipped to the car. Yet she had appearances to maintain, and so she walked as regally as she could to the car.

“You want food?”

“Well…I had food…”

“See? Now you’re cracking jokes! Look at you!” Paloma giggled. “Don’t you feel better?”

“I feel wonderful. I didn’t…I didn’t think a dress would make me feel this happy. And…” Eulalia smoothed the curves around her hips. “I have a…a…”

“A figure?”

“Mhm! You do!”

They laughed as they walked to the car. All the while, Mikhailov and Alexei sat near the gateway and saw guests coming and going. When they saw Paloma and her friend, the Mage turned to the Inquisitor.

“Wonder what she was doing here…”

Alexei frowned. “I have an idea.”

“Huh?”

“Anna might have wanted to meet her. Or Etienne. And he brought her along.”

Mikhailov puffed. “I should have brought my cigarettes…”

“You can do this without cigarettes.”

“If they let us in.” The night continued to drag for the two men, who did not quite foresee what was coming for the Kindred indoors.

But for the young Latina and her friend, victory was afoot, and then on wheels, as they rolled away from Anna’s Elysium and back toward true sanctuary.
-Alan Jackson

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:09 am

Etienne Saint-Francis - Quietude
Anna’s Manor

The festivities were beginning to drag on in Etienne’s mind. He begrudged nobody the opportunity to celebrate their success in joining the Camarilla or rub shoulders with some of the elite in the region, but Etienne had seen this particular song and dance all too many times. He excused himself after a few hours of mingling and slipped out onto a veranda in the Angelos grounds. He had no doubt he was being watched, but he paid it no mind. In his line of business and new position of power it was often difficult to get a few moments of quiet, to reflect and to focus the mind. The Ventrue Primogen reached into his jacket pocket and lit up a cigarette, his mind turning over and over.

Success. Success was more than winning battles and acquiring wealth. Success was putting new pieces onto the board; Paloma was just such a piece. Her ascension tonight meant that he had managed to both keep his word and improve his own position in Court; a difficult prospect as it was. Success in the near future meant surviving the Primogen council without too many of his plans being brought to the surface and with reputation and standing intact. Etienne took a long drag of the cigarette; he didn’t need it of course, but it was such a part of his character that he almost didn’t think about lighting up anymore. Only brief stirrings of the Beast reminded him of how close the flame was to his body. Much like his repeated close brushes with the flame, War Plan Crimson represented a great risk. Clan Ventrue was much diminished from its previous power, and Etienne would never consider attacking San Francisco with only his own strength. Add to the mix that only clan Malkavian had been tasked with the invasion and Etienne had added his own clan and that of clan Nosferatu into the proceedings without express approval and there was very great potential for the Prince to hand out heavy handed punishment.

Etienne sighed, exhaling a lungful of smoke into the night air. Was the risk worth it? Very possibly. The Princes of Europe were conservative at heart, married to their own power and loathe to allow an upstart any sort of chance to prove themselves. Anna… Anna might be different. She had secrets, secrets that Etienne was beginning to tease out and understand. She was older than she let on, that much was obvious, older perhaps than the Clan she professed to be a part of. Then there was a matter of having Children, seemingly true born children. Anna knew things and was capable of things that Etienne could only dream of. For better or worse, he was hitching his star to her own. He needed to come through if he was to have any hope of having the strength to pursue his goals. Strength that Anna seemed to possess. Would she share it? Parcel out a piece of it with her favour? Etienne was betting his unlife and everything he had worked towards that she might.

“Lord?” A voice interrupted his reverie. One of the Angelos footmen coming to tell him he couldn’t be there, let alone be there smoking.

“Yes?” The Ventrue Primogen didn’t turn, prefering to cast his eyes through the gardens of the massive estate.

“The Prince sends word; she has decided to hold the council tonight, you are summoned.”

Etienne took one long drag of his cigarette, nodding all the while before stubbing it out against the surface of the stone railing. He exhaled and approached the footman. “I am at the Prince’s disposal.” He handed what remained of the stub to the man. “Forgive me, but littering is a deplorable habit and I’d rather not disrespect the mistress of the house.” He flashed a winning smile, “Would you kindly toss that in the trash for me? There’s a dear.” Success was in the small things too.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Finsternia
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Finsternia » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:40 pm

Rory and Ives - Bad Moon Rising
November 27, 2023 - 9:00 pm onwards
Co-Write Between Finsternia and Luminesa

The last several days had been a whirlwind. Etienne’s performance, to which he had been invited, was a spiral which had revived what had been a dull and distracted mind. He was certain such was at least part of the intention. For inhuman minds, it was a release from the complications of unalive life. For human minds more like his own, something shivered and bloomed to life.

Sparkling silver and gold were in his mind as he looked back to the work he had written in the last couple of evenings. Papers scattered and pens planted firmly over them, a laptop open with several-dozen answered emails, and an empty glass of what was strawberry wine. Ives found inspiration in the frenetic, in the elegant chaos he had created, and that others had performed.

And he needed that energy. The Christmas season was coming, meaning practices, appearances, and concerts. He needed a new suit, something he wrote on his to-do list an hour ago. He needed to get his other suits tailored, and he needed a new bottle of wine. ‘Need’ for the last one was subjective, but he did have a new neighbor he wanted to entertain. After all, Etienne was quite busy, and while he planned to go back and to converse with him once time allowed for either of them, he might as well not abandon the person next-door.

Not to mention that Rory seemed to keep his attention. He was spry and a bit of a klutz, fresh with the energy of the wild Irish countryside. And yet, at the same time, he thought with the depth and softness of a church graveyard after a spring rain. He wondered if his own boots would find themselves sinking in such a feeling, if he wandered too close.

Whether or not he was ready for anything beyond a happy acquaintance and friendship was anyone’s to consider, but for him tonight was just another evening, and he thought about going to cook for a friend. He grabbed his coat, preferring to dress warm and tight even in Los Angeles’s drier chill, and he locked the door to his apartment as he left with a bottle of wine for the two of them. Entertaining was entertaining, after all.

All the while, as he was focused on a dozen more mundane things, the full moon sparkled high above and illuminated his short raven hair.

As for Rory, the past month has been the sort of hectic energy that one would find in a new environment. It is a new city, a new job, and a new pack. Los Angeles has so many things that it could offer, both in Flesh and in Spirit. It is a maze of entertainment where dreams come to live and die, and it is here where he hopes he could find his.

As with Ives, the slow but inevitable march towards Christmas meant that the man is always at rehearsals. There's too many songs to be sung for the birth of Christ and for the coldness of winter, and too many venues that book the orchestra for performances. It is good that his apartment is close to the Philharmonic's usual venues, and so the commute is not a hassle.

There are some… pressing matters however. To belong in a pack is to be protected and to have community to have your back. It is the culture of the Warriors of Luna, that wherever in the world there will be a pack that would accept you and aid you. However, with community comes duty. A member of the pack, which Rory has been informed to be named Morri, has gone missing but was soon found. She came battered, bloodied, and worse for wear, saved by the pack's totem spirit. It would have been joyous, if not for the looming threat that the human hunters were at fault for her vanishment.

Thus it comes to this, with him staring at the clock and at the window of his apartment, watching as time wastes away and the full face of Mother Luna creeps across the night time sky. He chose this place not just because it is close to his place of employment, but also because it is close to a national park; close to nature, where one could shift in agony as Luna's curse upon him takes hold. The threat of hunters has made that difficult, an impossibility even. He must hunt to appease Luna's anger of his neglect of duty, but now it's perhaps off the table.

Rory nervously paces his living room, biting his nails and staring at his phone. Minutes. Minutes until the full moon is at its zenith. He needs to call the pack, but traveling to the docks will take those precious minutes. He could hunt, slay a Spirit as offering to the Lady of the Moon, but he is unsure if his wits will be with him at that time. He needs help, quick, and at the very least pass this night and come to the pack by the next day. Tonight's the first night of the full moon, and there will be three days of Luna's full face upon the sky.

His doorbell rings, and the man quickly walks over with anxious breath. Beyond the peephole is a familiar friend, perhaps the first he had and met. "I-Ives?" Several clicks of locks follow each other, and the Moros sees a disheveled Rory, bright red eyes in an intense wild light. "Ives… Hi… I'm so sorry… I… May I help you?"

The redhead is shaking, nervous and afraid of something, and his fingernails seem to have been chewed down to the point of some bleeding. Werewolf healing has made quick work, but it will take a bit more time for them to come back from being bruised by the anxious Uratha. Some things also feel off, mystically, for the Mage.

The air feels thick, as if momentarily the sensation of walking in water has graced his senses. The Gauntlet seems to be reinforced here in Rory's apartment. The werewolf himself seems to be undergoing some changes. Under his Mage Sight, he sees the flickering of Rory's physical form. Thick matted red fur superimposes over his body, an image of fangs and claws spasms under his scrutiny. Strained muscles drape over his physique for a moment, painfully stretched to their limits. Sigils, burned in silver, shine glowing upon his skin.

"I'm sorry… I'm not… feeling so well… I…" Rory gulps, his eyes turn towards the clock and then to the window. "I'm… I might be in trouble… I couldn't hunt… because things have gone dangerous… I need to go to the pack but… it's too late… I'm so sorry…"

Ives saw Rory’s face, and then the rest of him. At the precipice of a transformation which looked quite painful. His being a Warrior Garou did not make that transformation anymore bearable, either. The Mage gazed at him in soft shock, and then at the full moon as he realized what was glowing in his friend’s eyes.

“Let‘s get you inside. Come on. You’re not safe going out like this.” The Mage could tell that at any moment he might transform, and breaking the Masquerade with such a frightening change was a bad outcome for everyone involved. “I’ll ward the apartment, you sit on the couch and try to take deep breaths. Can you do that for me?”

"Y-Yes… I can…" Rory gulps and walks in. "I've made… preparations… I've strengthened the Gauntlet here… for tonight… and I've made arrangements…" When Ives walks in, the first thing that hits him is the strong smell of incense. It's at the verge of becoming overpowering, but the combination seems to be a cocktail made to calm the senses. If it could calm a raging werewolf, even sedate one, would be something to be seen.

"I've prepared… calming scents… Once the moon madness takes me… I hope that it will overpower my sense of smell and leave me in a daze… I've also…" The younger man slowly sits down on the couch, and he absentmindedly rubs his wrists. "Prepared… some restraints… Silver chains and handcuffs… to bind me…" He slowly looks up to the Mage and gulps. "I don't know much about your Magic… but I know that yours is similar to the shamans of my tribe… You deal with Hisil… the Shadow World… so… could you… ward me?"

Ives moved into the room and put the bottle of wine somewhere Rory would not be able to immediately reach. He hurried around the small apartment, as he was a little more familiar with his surroundings from having spent a couple of evenings talking to his redheaded friend here.

Spirit Wards were necessary. Even if he was no Archmaster, he began to place wards against entry into various rooms with breakable items. The kitchen and bathroom, and the door to the outside. The windows as well, and he snuck the curtain closed so that the enormous, milk-white eye of the moon did not peer through the window. Once he was done, only then did he remember to remove his coat.

“…That’s a start…” He took a breath of the incense, so heady that one might almost become drunk from the sheer volume of it. After taking a second, more shallow breath, he walked toward Rory and knelt in front of him. He took his hands and squeezed them.

“And a ward on you, I presume. Perhaps something to guide the incense so that it doesn’t actually knock us both unconscious. Most churches don’t even use this much.” He chuckled, rubbing Rory’s hands with his thumbs as he started to whisper a spell. Something specifically to ease the angry Garou spirit within Rory. Anything to perhaps make the transformation less violent and painful.

Rory takes a shuddering deep breath, as the symbols of Magic align. The veiling of the moon, the thick heady smell of incense, and the gentle hold of his hand all come together to bestow a suppression upon his raging spiritual self. Under Mage Sight, Ives sees that the inscriptions of silver upon the Uratha's body dims ever so slightly. From shocking blinding white, the runes slowly fade into a softer glow. They are still present, but much calmer now.

The redhead still takes deep breaths, beads of sweat appearing on his forehead. His eyes swerve towards the clock. 9:15 pm. The full face of Luna must be at the zenith of the heavens, and he could feel Her maddening siren's call. If it was any night, his flesh would have ruptured, bone spurs adorning pulsing and strained muscle, and teeth and claws bared. Yet for now, it's slowed, halted, and staved away even if he could dream of it.

Rory looks at Ives's eyes and he squeezes his hands back. "Thank you… If you weren't here… I would have…" He takes another deep breath as the urge rises within him, only to feel the resistance of Ives's Magic and the lulling of the incense. Veins upon his arms tighten and bulge, becoming more prominent, and red hair sprouts ever slightly longer. The transformation between forms still continues, but the shift towards the more brutal War Form is halted. "...If I ever… lose it… Use Magic on me… knock me out if you need to…"

He nodded. If ever he ‘lost it’. What that meant to Rory might be different for Ives, but he would stay vigilant. He had Death, after all, if nothing else worked. Pulling himself to sit on the couch next to him, he smiled over at Rory, trying to keep the mood a little lighter. “I’ll get a rag and something for you to drink. Wine might not be best right now. Maybe in the morning.”

He got up from the couch and walked to get the aforementioned items, always keeping his friend in his sight’s gaze even when he was turning his back. He had never watched quite a volatile transformation, and he was not sure what to expect, except that the young man’s room was far more fragile than most Garou’s fists.

There are rags in the kitchen, and in the fridge there's a whole bunch of alcohol to be had. There's boxes of milk and juice as well, one seems to be freshly opened this morning. On the counter top there is a pot of some sort of tea, newly brewed just minutes ago. Whatever it was, Rory has just made it for himself it seems.

The redhead tries to sit still, ignoring the pull of the moon that is hidden by a set of flimsy curtains. An itch crawls and digs through his skin, screams in his throat, and thunders in his heart. An illogical want and desire, to rip his own skin to reveal the ephemeral flesh of the wolf underneath. His teeth itch, hungering to bite onto the visage of some Spirit.

When Ives comes back to Rory, the younger man is nibbling on his nails which have grown longer and thicker. His teeth, too, have grown into massive canines. Ives could feel the strain of his spell, holding back the werewolf's transformation at the stage where he is more man than wolf but still graced by the ferociousness of the beast. If Rory could hold onto his wits, and Ives's Magic and all the implements that could aid this endeavor persevere, then the younger man would simply need to wait the rising dawn in severe and utter discomfort as he feels the intense desire to just let it go.

Ives walked back to the living room, a wet rag in hand to wipe the sweat from Rory’s face. He had a cup of the tea, and a cup of water, and he placed them both carefully on the table. Non-breakable glasses, just in case. “I need to put more investment into Life Magic,” he thought with a rue expression as he sat next to Rory and watched the pain in his eyes. The subtle decay of the human form trying desperately to hold back a river of agony.

“Shhhh.” He tried to soothe him, the way he had once done several years ago, in what had felt like another lifetime. He still felt her in his arms, fragile and feeling ready to burst from pain herself, and his eyes seemed to fade to another place in time. “It’s going to be okay. We will get through the night.”

Taking his sharpened claws, he once again began to hum a song, again trying to make a Spirit ward, focusing on soothing the fierce spirit which hoped to break free any moment. He was starting to sweat a little himself. Perhaps he was not used to such pressure, or-as was more likely-he was not used to using so much Magic at once.

With shaking hands, Rory takes the tea and drinks it in one gulp. Much like the incense in his room it was brewed as a calming tea, something to ease the pain and hopefully knock him out into the morning. He closes his eyes, willing his flesh to still and his spirit to cease its rage. He thinks, in prayer to the Goddess that cursed him into this path, that there is more to being a Warrior Garou. He thinks back to the pack, how readily they accepted him, and the two elders who welcomed him.

"Mother Luna… Please… for just this one night… Do not take me away… I'm your weapon… your Warrior… I've taken my oaths to find my worth… Tonight's not the time… and… if I hurt anyone… and bring shame to the pack… I'm… not worthy for the destiny you gave me…"

Ives hears the young werewolf whisper, through gritted teeth, a prayer in the tongue of Spirits, towards the Mother that birthed his people. He hears him grunt and gasp in pain, his body seizing for a moment before the man forces it to heel. Like thousands of hot needles, pain lances across Rory's back, down his spine, and through his extremities. Ives's warding has placed a salve over the pain, and he lifts his face to look at him.

His reddened eyes are bloodshot and brimming with unshed tears, but he gulps and grits his teeth through it. "I'll… I'll be fine… I think… without you here… I would have already gone…" He smiles, trying to push out a laugh that dies with a groan of pain as he focuses back on suppressing his instincts. "I don't know… how to repay you… after this… I think this is the first time… I didn't just… lose my wits when… the full moon is high up in the sky…"

“We have a night to get through. Don’t thank me yet.” He smiled at Rory, looking toward the kitchen. He wondered now if the wine might perhaps soothe him, but then it would also make him lose what little control he had of his senses. “Just take deep breaths. What else do you need me to do?”

"Just… stay with me and…" He looks towards a corridor, to the right of the living room. "My room… is over there… the room to the left… If I ever pass out… Please… just in case… tie me up… My spirit might take over… I do not want to hurt you or anyone…" Another surge of pain, deep in his bones, rocks his body and Rory gasps out. He tightens his grip on Ives's hands, the strength behind it almost uncomfortable for the Mage. "Prioritize your safety… okay? And then others… I don't want to hurt anyone…"

“I’m not going to tie you up, when there’s no reason to right this moment,” Ives answered, as he stroked Rory’s searing back. “The house is warded, you’ll be fine. Let’s just…no sudden movements.” He looked toward the room, and he twitched a little in his hand. If things went downhill, he could move him to the room, lock him in, and ward the door. Maybe that would work.

Rory nods, frantically, as he feels another wave of burning pain in his chest. Something clawing, trying to get out, brands upon his skin. He reaches for the cup of water to drink, emptying it in one gulp. Something to satiate the thirst for the hunt, even if it's just for a moment. His hand returns to clasp Ives's own, and he closes his eyes to endure the pain and the miserable itch and want to run and howl. "Thank you…" He says through a choked sob. "Just… a couple hours more…"

“Here. Let’s lay you down on the couch.” He helped Rory by holding his shoulders and adjusting him onto the couch. He found a couple of blankets and threw them over him, making sure to straighten them. “Now let me go get you another glass, and perhaps a fresh rag. I’ll be right back.” He started out of the room, watching the clock as he walked. Just ten minutes in the house, and Rory was still doing well. On the other hand, only ten minutes down and several hours until dawn.

Tonight would indeed be a long night.

Ives came back, and sat in a chair near Rory. He kept a close eye on him, watching the way his body twitched and listening for growling or other inhuman sounds. Otherwise, the night seemed that it might be gentle and calm. So calm, that the dark-haired man felt his eyes grow heavy. Sometime after eleven o’clock, after two hours of watching and tending, he sat in the chair and did not feel himself fall asleep.

Two hours felt slow when one is intimately aware of the time that they try to pass by, even more so when it is in agony and mind numbing instinct clawing at the fringes of the mind. Ives's spell, the calming effect of the incense, and the aid given by companionship has made it possible to resist Luna's pull. Sadly, spells are rarely indefinite nor lasting without greater power or intricate rituals… and sleep could rob one of its control.

Past eleven o'clock, when Ives starts to doze off, his control over the warding Spirit spell on Rory eases and fades… and the younger man starts feeling the telltale pain of a ravenous hunger for the hunt. What wards off the Garou's inability to control his shapeshifting and will during the full moon comes down painfully, and the resulting deluge of agony causes Rory to fall down and curl into a ball.

A drawn out groan comes out of his lips as his bones break and reform, his muscles tear and grow, and fur, fangs, and claws sprout almost immediately. Red fur covers repeatedly breaking and healing skin, and spurs of bone bursts through his back and his arms. A towering figure rises from its writhing on the floor, and his attention turns towards the unconscious Mage.

His lips curl back into a snarl as his nose sniffs, curious and wondering about this "unknown" person, but the incense now does its part. For a brief moment Rory is dazed, the suffocating incense dulling the senses, as he looms over his companion. Only a couple simple words echo in his mind, urging the cursed Garou into action.

Hunt. Run. Howl. Friend. Safe. Protect.

Stop.

The sounds of bones cracking and groaning awakened Ives from his slumber, and as his eyes opened, he saw the result. “…R…Rory?…Oh my…Oh my God, no…”

Rory in his werewolf form, standing almost nine feet tall and covered in blood-colored fur. He was a frightening sight, especially given that his face was split into a growl at his presence.

“…Rory, listen to me.” Ives tried to gently call to him, as he hopped out of the chair and tried to move back nice and slow. “It’s me, Ives. Nightingale. I’m still here to try and take care of you. I…I must have fallen asleep. Please. Take it easy.”

A low growl emanates from the werewolf's throat as he crouches to look and observe Ives. Soft-fleshed human. If he's going to be an obstacle on his course, surely he can claw his way through. But the soft fleshed human is a friend, maybe a pack member even, as some muted voice whispers into Rory's now addled mind.

"Ives…? Friend?" The werewolf utters through his fanged maw, frozen between a snarl and the gnashing of teeth in pain. "Help… Hungry… Need to… hunt…" His snout turns here and there, sniffing at the air, as if trying to find someplace to run or escape to. The Gauntlet is thicker, more difficult to breach, and the air is suffused by scents specifically made to sedate him.

"Ives… Where am I…" The werewolf says listlessly, exhaustion creeping through. At this point during the moon's ascent to the skies, the Garou would have already hunted his prey. The last two hours of restrainment and holding back shaved precious energy, and Ives feels like if he could only hold the werewolf back for just a bit more while he is in a daze… then the exhaustion would do the rest.

"I'm hungry… Please…"

“You’re in your apartment,” the dark-haired man explained in return, “I brought you inside, because you were in pain. You look as if you are still in pain. Can you sit on the couch and I’ll find you what you need to eat?” He was not sure what he was asking, but at this point, anything worked if it kept the apartment from falling into shambles in his claws.

"Spirits… Hunt Spirits… Their Essence is… delicious…" Saliva pools in his open maw, which slowly drips through razor sharp teeth. "Hunt Spirits… for Mother Luna… for Kamduis-Ur… Must… Hunt… Must… feed… Hunt… with me..." Rory holds out a clawed hand, each finger ending in claws as long and as deadly as daggers. "Help… Hungry… Hurt..."

Taking his chance, he approached Rory instead of moving away. When he got close enough, he put his hands on his shoulders and eased him onto the couch. “Shhhhh. We’re not leaving the apartment. Here. Come sit.” He stared at the enormity of the situation in front of him, and then he tried again with a Spirit Ward. With his Nimbus the sound and aura of elegant chamber music, he made the Ward appear in the tune of a lullaby. Gentle violins and harps played around Rory’s head, aimed toward salvaging his own soul.

Rory's unstable and unshielded psyche and spirit is almost free lunch for such maneuvers. Ives's spell took advantage of the stacking odds against the werewolf. His Magic, taking the form of sound and melody, plays the soothing tune of Gymnopedie No. 1 for the werewolf's ailing soul. Like a lullaby, it guides Rory's exhausted body to take a seat and slowly lull into the grasp of sleep.

Ives sees Rory's eyes droop, the angry spirit within him placated into slumber. The power of his Essence, supposedly pulled by the moon's tides, ebbs away. The burning silver brands upon his body dim, and soon Rory hunches over and leans against Ives powerlessly. "I… ves… I'm… sorry…"

The clock strikes 11:37 pm and the ordeal, for now, is done. The first night's trial of this month's full moon has passed, the first taste of helplessness. There's still a few more hours until sunrise, and two more days of Luna's full face in the sky. Will Rory still wake later on? Who knows if the Garou had the energy to do so, or if even could regain his energy and battle through the precautions set in place.

But here he is, a terrific figure, sedated and slumped over Nightingale on the couch.

“Ah!…Haaa…” Nightingale watched as his spell took hold of Rory and guided him from restlessness to peaceful sleep. He felt the enormous body of the werewolf crane over and lean on him, and he realized just how much weight was under all of that fur. Moving just a little to let him rest more comfortably, the Mage sighed and stroked Rory’s back. He was still the man underneath, in desperate need of help and comfort in a terrifying time.

“Shhhhhh…just a few more hours.” He whispered in Rory’s ear as he moved to give him even more space. But he himself was also now exhausted. He had used so much Magic, and he was practically sweating. The moment he sat on the edge of the couch and found a place to curl and huddle, he felt his eyelids not only droop, but his head leaned onto the arm of the couch and this time, he was asleep for good.

-------

November 28, 2023 - 5:30 am

Luna perseveres even as dawn breaks, her full face still proud in the cerulean-purple skies as her brother rises. But before the Sun's glow the Moon pales in comparison, her silver light miniscule against the sheer glory of gold. With her passing, her rage and curse fades until her full face comes knocking once again.

When the clock struck past 5:30 am, Rory had already shifted back into his "normal" human form. Groaning slightly in discomfort and finally relief, the younger man subconsciously latches and holds onto the closest object he's with. Sore arms wrap around Ives's waist, who has laid down next to him in similar exhaustion. The mornings after are always a reprieve, the warm soak after a tiring day.

Ives slept soundly, his body heavy and still as he leaned against the arm of Rory’s couch. He did not even realize when the red-haired man had returned to his normal form. All he knew was that he felt a pair of arms around his waist. His eyes creaked open, and he looked to see his friend holding onto him.

“…Mm…good morning? I believe we made it through the night.”

At first, Rory just mumbles as Ives stirs. Whatever "pillow" he picked was cozy and warm, and so the younger man pulled the Mage closer. The incense has burned out throughout the night, and thanks to the AC and ventilation there's cold, fresh, but slightly perfumed air to keep the lull of sleep close for the two. It's the perfect temperature to sleep in, and even cuddle and huddle close. Rory would have slept more, until his groggy eyes open to Ives's words.

"Good… morning…?" The Garou pulls him closer, before realizing that his "pillow" talks and moves and is warmer than it should be. He peeks to look, rubbing his eyes, until he comes face to face with Ives's own haggard and sleepy face. "Ives…?" Rory blinks, trying to dispel the pull of sleep on his still heavy eyelids, until the image becomes clear.

He sits up, almost too quickly, as a blush settles over his freckled cheeks. "G-Good morning, Ives! I'm so sorry for… last night… You… even stayed over… to help me…" Rory looks down on his lap as he twiddles with his thumbs. "I'm so sorry… for bothering you… I dragged you into my mess…"

The dark-haired man stared at his face for a few moments, as if he was examining something. Then he chuckled. “Your face is almost as red as your hair.” He murmured almost so low that Rory wouldn’t have heard him if he had covered his mouth. But he just smiled, a sleepy grin that did not seem bothered by the events that had transpired. “No, I’m the one who came to your house with a bottle of wine. And thank goodness, you’re doing alright and the bottle of wine is probably right where I left it.”

Typical British understatement, and his eyes glittered with morning light. He moved a hand over his, to let him know he was not in trouble. “You’re just fine. I know it could have been much more traumatic for you. That’s why I stayed.” His smile fell a little, only out of earnestness. “You’ve never transformed like that before in a strange city such as this.”

"Oh! I almost forgot about that!" Rory bolts up from the couch, almost tripping over himself as he leaves for the kitchen. To Ives the young Garou is clearly embarrassed and seems to want to leave the scene for a moment. The talk of wine was opportune for him to hide and adjust himself. In his flustered state, Rory picks up two crystal glasses, a small bucket meant to carry ice for alcohol, as well as the bottle of wine that Ives has safely tucked away last night. He also finds the time to sneak and find a spare shirt, to replace the one he wore last night.

Rory returns with a bucket of ice, the wine being securely chilled with the piles of ice cubes, and two wine glasses for the both of them. "It's… barely past 6 am… but I think we deserve wine in the morning…" He flashes the Mage with a shy smile as he pours Ives his glass first, before pouring himself one as well. "You brought me a nice bottle of wine and you even stayed with me… I don't know how to repay you… Thank you so much…" He holds his glass and nervously swirls the wine. "I haven't even asked what's the occasion… for the wine…"

“There’s no need for repayment. Though…I’m surprised you don’t want coffee?” He nodded anyway, as he accepted the glass and looked at Rory. “Ah it’s a nice bottle, not the most expensive, but I figured it would be nice to talk for the evening…until I realized that the evening was not a good time for you.”

Really, the idea of making a friend and growing closer to them was the only motivation Ives had. They had shared interests and played music together, but now they had something else, a growing understanding of the hidden pain of being a Garou who was forced to hunt. Ives took a sip of the wine, which seemed to restore a little color to his face as he swallowed it. “But an evening spent taking care of a friend does not have to be a bad one, does it?”

"Coffee huh… Then maybe tomorrow morning… I'll make you coffee. How's that?" Rory offers back a warm smile, and as takes a sip of the wine he feels both the comforting cold and the invigorating warmth of it. Much like how the pack and Ives had his back. Los Angeles is an alien city, with him still getting used to the metropolis a month later. Much like wine, his newly found connections provide relief and comfort for him. At the very least during the first night of his ordeal he wasn't alone.

"Maybe… once the full moon is out of the sky… I could treat you to dinner? I owe you as much… and… I can make a good cappuccino." Rory sits beside Ives on the couch, hands cupping the wine glass. "...I'm glad I didn't hurt you… I'm glad that all those incense worked… And your Magic…" He looks at him, eyes sparkling with wonder. "It was amazing."

The kind Mage raised an eyebrow. “Amazing? Goodness, no, I’m not a powerful Mage. I simply protected you for an evening. I don’t imagine the Wards were too strong if you still managed to transform…but I did what I could. And if it eased your pain a little, that is enough.”

He did nod to the idea of dinner, however. “Let’s get through these next two days, and then we’ll worry about all of those things. I’ll stay close by, and perhaps that will help you.”

"No it really is! I haven't known many Mages but… your Magic is really amazing. You still helped me endure all that pain and… you helped me fall asleep. I think that's all amazing in my book." Indeed it was amazing for Rory, who only felt that the only choices he had was to be locked up or to be a hungry mindless beast during the full moon. To feel Magic that was like a salve on his wounds, that could ease the pain that he felt, it was more than what he'd expected.

He nods, smiling at him. "I think… we should also contact the pack… It would be safer at the docks where at least it has distance away from residential areas… We'll be safer with them… and I promised to tell Connor and Cat about any problems…" Rory takes a sip of the wine, cold and comforting.

Two more days of this agony. If there is a chance to hunt, then his "curse" will be uplifted sooner. Los Angeles might have looked scary, almost isolating, at first, but now he has friends to rely on.

Two more days.
Random stuff here. Random stuff there. Bla bla bla. Whatever I don't care.

Soon, the penguins shall rule the Earth with a cold flipper

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:25 pm

A Council

The Prince had retreated to one of the backrooms, where audible sound would be blocked, and the Rothai watched the exterior with no doubt Gargoyles above on the roof. She still wore her outfit and merely lounged in a chair opposite a long table with the doors in her full field of view. The first to enter of course was Etienne, followed by Bulehard, and lastly by the third called upon Primogen. Before her, on the table, was War Plan: Crimson. Which, upon Etienne and Bulehard entering she began to idly flip through. Anna's face was passive, no emotion, which the Primogen took as a sign of caution. What had they done to upset her? Was she even upset? Perhaps this was to go over the details regarding San Diego? Maybe praise even? Unclear, and Anna merely lifted a goblet into view, the crystal clear and as such the mysterious crimson liquid showed it had been refilled, but the vampires in the room, the Primogen, would know from smell that that was not purely human blood. There was something else about it, something different, changed even. Tremere sorcery no doubt.

"Speak, as the three of you have proven to be busy with the compiling of this...plan."

Speak, a simple command but vague in attention, and to no one in particular. Clearly a test of initiative perhaps?
Resident Fox lover

Finsternia
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Finsternia » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:58 am

Silvanus - The Queen Checks the Bishops

The gathered court tonight was a lighter affair. It was simply pomp and circumstance, something to impress the younger members of court and introduce new blood into the city. In the end it was an event for the youth, to forge contacts with their fellows and for the Elders to watch their progeny and subjects mingle with whom. But as the night deepens, with most guests either leaving or deep in their conversations, it is the time for the true movers to convene.

Silvanus comes in with the gathered council, dressed in the sharpest and cleanest of whites as he always has. There is no hint of nervousness in the face of the Elder, but rather there is an underlying anticipation behind his diabolic green eyes. He has served the Prince Anna long enough to know that the Prince only cares for the results, and any action done to claim victory is passable as long as the Masquerade is able to be maintained one way or another. He steps forward as eldest amongst the three gathered before their Prince and bows. "A good eve to you, Your Majesty. The folder within your hands is a compilation of the upcoming war plans for San Diego, which highlights the would be movements of the Camarilla front."

"I must first thank Your Majesty for the opportunity that you have granted for Clan Malkavian. While the Clan of the Moon is not famed for its battle prowess, we have our own strength as coordinators of war. The Primogens Lord Bulehard and Lord Saint Francis have come forward with their desires to aid with Your Majesty's offensive against the coming war. Clan Nosferatu's aid in contacting their Sabbat brethren is valuable in order to cripple their own network of information. If all goes to plan then the Sabbat's Nosferatu have already turned cloak at this very moment, and should withdraw by the time of our invasion.

The Malkavian gives the Nosferatu Primogen a quick nod and glance before turning towards Etienne. "The Lord Saint Francis has been forthright with his talents, speaking to me about his accomplishments in war. To not waste such talents, I've agreed with his preposition to help command the ground forces I've mustered. I, for one, am excited to see his... fabled talents." He turns back to the Prince with a neutral expression. "Clan Malkavian has also not been idle, Your Majesty. Batches of combat ready Doll Units are at your disposal, and I have sent the Shadow Corps Units that you have requested. We have also created some tensions among the populace, namely the law enforcement and the city government, to cripple whatever mortal puppets the Sabbat have in them. Once our invasion starts, their puppets in the higher rungs won't be able to respond to their calls as they will be tangled in their own messes."

Silvanus bows towards Anna and steps back, as if allowing the two Primogens with him to speak if they so wish. The actions of Silvanus seems to be very odd at first glance, as the old monster would surely not bring himself so low as to have two hungry competitors take a bite out of his own share of the pie. But perhaps that is what Silvanus wants to accomplish, and for Anna to see. Perhaps that's why Silvanus allowed Nosferatu and Ventrue to drag themselves to war with the Malkavians.

War is only good at wasting resources, and Silvanus knows that the Malkavians would bear the worst of it. It would be a guarantee that the Clan's crafted Dolls would be put into the meat grinder by the end of this struggle, and their funds would be focused on this endeavor. But how about the other two Clans who were ecstatic to join the forray and have their own slice of the pie? Of course, they would also need to pay the price of blood and gold to have a taste of their own share. Unifying the Primogen and the Clans after the fallout of the events from 5 years ago, but also fostering extreme competition so that the Clans' high reaching branches would have a good pruning... even his own. It was a madman's gambit but at the very least the Malkavian Elder's actions could not be spoken of as disloyal nor rebellious.
Random stuff here. Random stuff there. Bla bla bla. Whatever I don't care.

Soon, the penguins shall rule the Earth with a cold flipper

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:31 am

Etienne Saint-Francis - Betting it on Black
Anna’s Manor

Etienne didn’t allow his apprehension to show on his face. Bulehard and Silvanus certainly had their own worries, but they were used to dealing with the Prince of Los Angeles up close. While Etienne has managed to rub shoulders with some of Europe and North America’s Elite, he’d never been quite this close to the regional font of power, nor a woman of such dread reputation.

As was his right, Silvanus took the lead in explaining the jist of the triumvirate’s plan. In truth, the strategic aspects had mostly been the product of Etienne and his staff’s work. Silvanus and Bulehard were supplying other, more physical contributions that Clan Ventrue couldn’t hope to match even at its zenith in Los Angeles. The sad truth was that Etienne ruled over a clan that was but a shadow of its former glory. Once the Malkavian Primogen had finished speaking, Etienne glanced at Bulehard to determine his intentions to speak. Finding none, he steepled his fingers together and began his own explanation.

“The Lord Silvanus is being kind to me, your Grace, and modest in his Clan’s capabilities; his dolls are doughty fighters and his commanders have meshed well with my own. I’ll admit, he was hesitant to accept the assistance of Clan Ventrue when I came to him. We exchanged sharp words, and in his case not untrue words: He is correct in that I am a relative newcomer to this city, but these sorts of endeavours are what my sire intended for me when I was Embraced into Clan Ventrue. Once it was clear that I had no designs on his preeminent position for spoils in the aftermath of the invasion and saw what I had in mind,” He paused and gestures to the attaché case that contained the war plans, “He became very amenable to the idea of Ventrue assistance. In the Lord Bulehard’s case, I too have surrendered to his seniority in terms of spoils to be gained. I have no doubt that Lord Silvanus would be successful had he invaded San Diego on his own, but I feel with the involvement of two other Clans, we physically risk little more while assuring a more guaranteed success.”

Etienne seperates his fingers and uses the largest two on his left hand to tap the table. “I will admit to a certain amount of presumptuous behaviour in involving myself in this campaign without your express permission, your Grace. But as you can see in the plans before you, this has been given a rather large degree of thought and it is only with swiftness and cunning that we might see victory before the invading force is bogged down by reinforcements coming over the altogether too close Mexican Border. With that in mind my staff, my fellow Primogens and I, predict victory within the span of a few months. Perhaps February’s end at the latest, with only limited pockets of resistance remaining. Should any of this displease your Grace, I shall surrender myself to whatever punishment you deem fitting, and should we fail on the field of battle know that I shall likely be too dead to punish.”

Etienne allowed a glimmer of a smile to tug at the corner of his lips as he met Anna’s eyes. He was betting it all on black now, seeking forgiveness for presumption rather than having asked permission in the first place. It was all laid out now; the plan, the unheard of level of cooperation between the clans, and atleast some of Etienne’s intentions. Etienne could only hope that the Prince appreciated his boldness and the forthrightness of his explanation. If she chose to press further, it would mean revealing his goals and desires in front of his fellow Primogen; a curiously vulnerable position to be in.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:56 pm

Morri
LA Docks - The Drunken Irishman
November 28th, 2023

The pack's compound had facilities to make things a little comfortable for the pack and it's assemble of kinfolk, improvements that were made by the pack over the years to expand the basic living quarters. One of the improvements made was a functional gym that consisted of a few punchbags, some weights and a treadmill that were more for the kinfolk followers of the pack. Some of the garou members made use of it, though a garou's enhanced strength made the gym a little redundant for the garou pack members. Morri was one of those who did make use of the gym, though only from time to time to relieve some stress. Since she was effectively grounded and had no small degree of anger to work off, she made more use of the gym.

After a good half hour run on the treadmill, Morri moved to lifting some weights and then one of the punchbags. Only pulling her blows slightly, Morri repeatedly struck the bag with her fists. As she was busy with her workout, she became aware that she wasn't alone in the gym as Cal's voice called out. "Working o' some anger lass?"

"Wot do ya think?" Retorted Morri as she landed couple more blows n the punchbags.

"Still mad 'bouts that little fire?"

"I could break yer jaw...again....if ye want."

"I'll take that as a maybe." Callum responded, prompting Morri to put all her force into her next punch which forced the bag off it's hook and sent it flying across the gym. The male Ragabash amended his words. "OK, more like yes and I like my jaw how it is."

"Oh? I was looking fer a sparring partner."

"Nah, I'm good lass." Callum said hurriedly as he began backing out of the gym. "I'll just let Cait know where ye are."
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:27 pm

The Council

"On the contrary I am most pleased that three clans managed to pull this off without murdering each other." A small dry joke on the obvious cutthroat nature of many Vampiric political maneuvers. After all the Kindred were not especially known for being the most tolerant of the bunch for established political enemies when one could help it. "I approve of the plan," she said with finality and finished her drink before standing up, "However, securing the home front first will be a necessary pretext. Too long have we tolerated the Lupines occupation of the dockyards. That ends tonight. I expect no Camarilla member to tolerate the wolves presence any longer throughout the demesne."
Resident Fox lover

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:59 pm

Etienne Saint-Francis - Moves and Counter Moves
Anna’s Manor

Etienne frowned somewhat at the new objective. They had days before the beginning of the invasion, and there was already a snag. Etienne’s mind turned over and over again as he considered how exactly he’d engage the dockyards. The dogs wouldn’t be able to sustain a large assault but they’d definitely do some damage to any Camarilla force that made a play on them. Diplomacy might be the answer here, but the issue lay in the Prince’s wording; she had essentially declared war on all of the Garou within Los Angeles. They’d need to leave the city entirely for diplomacy to work which seemed unlikely at best.

The Ventrue vampire sucked in a steadying breath that his body definitely didn’t need before he too stood up and spoke. “Your Grace, at the risk of being blunt; the mutts spilled blood to end Houghton just as we did. They acted with honour and despite being opposed to us on many grounds, I would motion that we give them the opportunity to leave the city without us destroying them. It seems to me the best way to achieve this objective whilst maintaining our strength for the push into San Diego. We make it very clear we possess the strength and opportunity to destroy them, but we are giving them the opportunity to leave instead. It’s that, or we need to push the invasion back. We’ve invested significant resources in this assault and part of it hinges on the governor declaring martial law which is going to happen on the fifth, come hell or high water.”

Etienne pauses and scratches at his jaw. “I will not lie to you, your Grace, we possess the strength to do this, but it compromises our ability to fight in San Diego if we cannot settle this as bloodlessly as possible.”
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Imperialisium
Postmaster-General

Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Oblivion2 wrote:Etienne Saint-Francis - Moves and Counter Moves
Anna’s Manor

Etienne frowned somewhat at the new objective. They had days before the beginning of the invasion, and there was already a snag. Etienne’s mind turned over and over again as he considered how exactly he’d engage the dockyards. The dogs wouldn’t be able to sustain a large assault but they’d definitely do some damage to any Camarilla force that made a play on them. Diplomacy might be the answer here, but the issue lay in the Prince’s wording; she had essentially declared war on all of the Garou within Los Angeles. They’d need to leave the city entirely for diplomacy to work which seemed unlikely at best.

The Ventrue vampire sucked in a steadying breath that his body definitely didn’t need before he too stood up and spoke. “Your Grace, at the risk of being blunt; the mutts spilled blood to end Houghton just as we did. They acted with honour and despite being opposed to us on many grounds, I would motion that we give them the opportunity to leave the city without us destroying them. It seems to me the best way to achieve this objective whilst maintaining our strength for the push into San Diego. We make it very clear we possess the strength and opportunity to destroy them, but we are giving them the opportunity to leave instead. It’s that, or we need to push the invasion back. We’ve invested significant resources in this assault and part of it hinges on the governor declaring martial law which is going to happen on the fifth, come hell or high water.”

Etienne pauses and scratches at his jaw. “I will not lie to you, your Grace, we possess the strength to do this, but it compromises our ability to fight in San Diego if we cannot settle this as bloodlessly as possible.”

"I did not specify that it has to be by spilled blood. Only that the tolerance of their kind and their services is no longer needed within the confines of this dominion. The Lupines will be allowed to leave of their own volition, unmolested, to regions outside of the city. Which yes, the demesne now extends far from the city due to events which you all are not privy to prior but will now be informed of: Much of the central California Princes are dead. Killed by Garou during the conclave. The Camarilla must retain such territories and so they will be taken over by the Los Angeles sect until such a time when a firmer hierarchy can be achieved. The Camarilla is watching for a Justicar and Archons also met their ends there."

Anna walked slowly over to be in front of the Primogen directly, "I suggest you three start the parlay with the mutts..."
Resident Fox lover

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:24 pm

Imperialisium wrote:
Oblivion2 wrote:Etienne Saint-Francis - Moves and Counter Moves
Anna’s Manor

"I did not specify that it has to be by spilled blood. Only that the tolerance of their kind and their services is no longer needed within the confines of this dominion. The Lupines will be allowed to leave of their own volition, unmolested, to regions outside of the city. Which yes, the demesne now extends far from the city due to events which you all are not privy to prior but will now be informed of: Much of the central California Princes are dead. Killed by Garou during the conclave. The Camarilla must retain such territories and so they will be taken over by the Los Angeles sect until such a time when a firmer hierarchy can be achieved. The Camarilla is watching for a Justicar and Archons also met their ends there."

Anna walked slowly over to be in front of the Primogen directly, "I suggest you three start the parlay with the mutts..."

Etienne’s gaze narrowed only the most minute degree as Anna dropped the news that the Conclave had been attacked and destroyed and as she took several steps closer to the three of them. Bells were ringing in Etienne’s mind now; how had Anna survived such a massacre when so many others had not? Did she have a hand in it? Was this a power play and now her Primogen were being involved by their service to her? Had the Garou even been involved at all? Maybe the idea was to obfuscate some other play that Anna had in mind.

All these thoughts and more raced through Etienne’s mind, and he needed to physically tear his gaze from the dangerous and beautiful Elder in front of him in order to glance at his compatriots. “My Lords, could either of the two of you arrange for me to meet with the Pack? The two of you are integral to the upcoming invasion whereas I’m confident my commanders could do an adequate job were something to happen to me.” He needed to get out of this room, or get Anna out of it first. The perfume of duplicity, power, and danger surrounding her was almost a literal thing; the longer he breathed it in, the harder it became to think.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse