NATION

PASSWORD

Sol 4,000: A Character Driven Political RP in the Far Future

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Make A Discord for this RP?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 6

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Bentus wrote:
It really depends on how hard/realistic we want to go. If we just want to go for space opera vibes, we can mostly handwave/ignore physics and just port over historical naval combat. Though if folks want to go for a more hard sci-fi approach, things get a lot more dependent on what kind of in-universe technologies exist and exactly how realistic we want to be.

I'm more in favor of the space opera side of things, honestly. I don't have enough time in my day to be debating hard sci-fi :p

I'm with you on that!

I also think it's worth remembering that this is going to be a character driven RP (I think? OP correct me if I'm wrong!) first and foremost, rather than a faction-v-faction one. So character intrigue and the like is probably more important than fleet size, etc in terms of story progression.

The GAmeTopians wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:
I would have assumed that the Sol fleet would be large enough it could take multiple vassals. Or at least, that they would have had enough ships readily able to respond to a threat to Sol that they could.

Perhaps that would be true in the Empire's prime - but with the weakening of the Emperor's position, vassals have become stronger and stronger in their own right, to the point that there may well be vassals (or at least one) who could stand up to the Imperial Fleet in a 1v1.

I'd think that the Emperor's fleet could probably take on multiple vassals even at this point. The challenge they'd face may be that they'd be spread thin (they'd never just be taking on *one* vassal in the event of civil conflict), and also run the risk of portions of their own fleet going turncoat when the shooting starts.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Strala
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Bentus wrote:
It really depends on how hard/realistic we want to go. If we just want to go for space opera vibes, we can mostly handwave/ignore physics and just port over historical naval combat. Though if folks want to go for a more hard sci-fi approach, things get a lot more dependent on what kind of in-universe technologies exist and exactly how realistic we want to be.

I'm more in favor of the space opera side of things, honestly. I don't have enough time in my day to be debating hard sci-fi :p

The Twelve Isles wrote:
I would have assumed that the Sol fleet would be large enough it could take multiple vassals. Or at least, that they would have had enough ships readily able to respond to a threat to Sol that they could.

Perhaps that would be true in the Empire's prime - but with the weakening of the Emperor's position, vassals have become stronger and stronger in their own right, to the point that there may well be vassals (or at least one) who could stand up to the Imperial Fleet in a 1v1.

I would assume that would be the case for at least some of the Imperial fleets, but I would assume that even with the decline of the Empire the Sol Fleets would still pose a challenge for most vassal navies. Sol is after all the wealthiest and populated star system owned by the Empire. Also, I personally also like Star Opera better.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Strala wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

Probably. What's going to be the size of your navy?

Mine would probably be large, Lacaille 9352 is a powerful system with a long military history. But not at all large enough to fight off the Imperial navy. We could maybe fight one Imperial Fleet, but any more than that and we would lose. The fleets of House Fullier are very large, and House Fullier has lots of contacts in the Imperial Navy due to their martial lineage. However the bigger threat that Lacaille 9352 could bring to the table is a culture deeply rooted in military heritage, with many individual orders of warriors, assassins/spies, House guard and so on and so forth that can be brought to the table. Paelleleus is able to maintain power to their alliance with Fullier, who's fleets are far larger than any other Houses fleets, while Paelleleus has a decently sized army of their own, but nothing compared to the Knights of St Kerazim or the Red Hand. However, with Fulliers fleets, Paelleleus's army has a defense from the other factions of the system, namely, that they can hammer their opponents into the dirt from orbit and just mop up the survivors afterwards, which the other Houses jut cant really do.

The main advantage that Lacaille 9352 has and which allows them to exercise so much autonomy under the Empire however is not that they are actually any sort of threat to the Empire, but due to the fact that the Empire understands that to defeat the Great Houses of Lacaille 9352 in a war on their own turf, they would have to annihilate all of the things that make Lacaille 9352 such a prosperous and by extension valuable system for them to have under their control. Essentially, the Great Houses and the military orders of the system are ready to burn it all to the ground and fight to the last if they way of life is infringed upon or they feel their freedom is in danger, and the Empire knows this. So instead, they just leave Lacaille 9352 alone, content with the free trade markets being open in the system and the hefty tribute they are paid every year.
Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Bentus wrote:
I'd think that the Emperor's fleet could probably take on multiple vassals even at this point. The challenge they'd face may be that they'd be spread thin (they'd never just be taking on *one* vassal in the event of civil conflict), and also run the risk of portions of their own fleet going turncoat when the shooting starts.

I agree with you completely on this. I think the greatest threat the the Empire is not one vassal rebelling, but instead the fact that their grip on the Empire is weakening. If even just a few vassals declared their independence and were ready and able to fight for it, combined with the growing xeno threat the Empire would quickly find itself stretched thin fighting a war on multiple fronts, which would only further weaken its grip, and allow for more and more systems to make the decision of weather they think its worth it to remain in the Empire.

If the Imperial Fleets can no longer defend the people, what good is it remaining in the Empire when they may be safer on their own with their own militaries defending them?

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ithalian Empire » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:30 pm

I too am more inclined to go space opera cause I really don't want to get I to debates on what is and isn't possible when it comes to a harder setting. This is first and for most a charecter RP. Sure, a charecter can start the civil war but really it will then focus on how the other charecters react to said civil war then the actual military conflict like in a faction RP.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:31 pm

God I do love a good political character RP. There haven't been enough of these around lately, I'm very excited for this.

Hey speaking of, would I need to make separate apps for other important figures within my characters system, or are they just a given? Because an important thing my character is going to have to be doing is uniting the disparate leaders of her system under her rule, which will invariably bring her into contact with the Kerazims, Fulliers and Red Hand, as well as likely the Black and White, as these are the other most important factions in Lacaille 9352 outside of the ruling family.
Last edited by The Twelve Isles on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:37 pm

Very interesting. Time for me to start plotting the start of the revolution. Also I was asking mainly so I don't make the Second Sol Defense Fleet too large or small. The most pressing issue will be the first Sol Fleet if I do ever decide to start a full on revolution.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:God I do love a good political character RP. There haven't been enough of these around lately, I'm very excited for this.

Hey speaking of, would I need to make separate apps for other important figures within my characters system, or are they just a given? Because an important thing my character is going to have to be doing is uniting the disparate leaders of her system under her rule, which will invariably bring her into contact with the Kerazims, Fulliers and Red Hand, as well as likely the Black and White, as these are the other most important factions in Lacaille 9352 outside of the ruling family.

On the topic of character interactions, any initial congregation spots in the setting that would be logical locations for player characters to interact on a regular basis? The Imperial Court itself is probably a good one, but I'm not sure whether somewhere else may make more sense.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 pm

Bentus wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:God I do love a good political character RP. There haven't been enough of these around lately, I'm very excited for this.

On the topic of character interactions, any initial congregation spots in the setting that would be logical locations for player characters to interact on a regular basis? The Imperial Court itself is probably a good one, but I'm not sure whether somewhere else may make more sense.

Good question. My opening post is probably going to be on Trappist-1e, the central world in the soon-to-be-apped Aquarius Shogunate, but I'm down to wander.
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Bentus wrote:

Good question. My opening post is probably going to be on Trappist-1e, the central world in the soon-to-be-apped Aquarius Shogunate, but I'm down to wander.

Yeah same, should the need arise I'm more than happy to go to someone else's system, or to host in the White Palace in my own. Plus, before any sort of revolution/civil war/interstellar calamity occurs, I imagine we will all have plenty of time for our characters to interact in the Royal Court or Senate or some other such gathering.

Strala wrote:Very interesting. Time for me to start plotting the start of the revolution. Also I was asking mainly so I don't make the Second Sol Defense Fleet too large or small. The most pressing issue will be the first Sol Fleet if I do ever decide to start a full on revolution.

Well, depending on how things are looking for my own system as things start going, we may or may not meet on the field of battle sometime down the line. Either as allies or as enemies.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Imperial Census

Name: Alexander Aemilius
Place of Birth: Sol
Appearance:

Base of Power: Aemilius has the loyalty of several frontier fleets based around the planet 61 Cygni. Initially only assigned one small fleet for defense, Aemilius has taken advantage of instability to expand his fleet and his province without direct orders or oversight from Sol - conquering new territory from several other human entities to pay off debts and make more warships in the name of "border security".

Goals: Aemilius is aligned with the reform section in the senate and although descending from a wealthy family and having a large personal fortune, seeks to move the empire in a more democratic direction. Aemilius would also like to see himself at the head of that movement.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Good question. My opening post is probably going to be on Trappist-1e, the central world in the soon-to-be-apped Aquarius Shogunate, but I'm down to wander.

Yeah same, should the need arise I'm more than happy to go to someone else's system, or to host in the White Palace in my own. Plus, before any sort of revolution/civil war/interstellar calamity occurs, I imagine we will all have plenty of time for our characters to interact in the Royal Court or Senate or some other such gathering.

Strala wrote:Very interesting. Time for me to start plotting the start of the revolution. Also I was asking mainly so I don't make the Second Sol Defense Fleet too large or small. The most pressing issue will be the first Sol Fleet if I do ever decide to start a full on revolution.

Well, depending on how things are looking for my own system as things start going, we may or may not meet on the field of battle sometime down the line. Either as allies or as enemies.

Probably the primary goal of the Second Sol Fleet is defeating the First Sol Fleet and ensuring that the outer planets of Sol become independent from the inner planets. Probably also bring some sort of order to the Kuiper belt. I was planning on the Admiral having several contacts with pirates in the Kuiper belt as I originally wanted the Second Sol Fleet to be bolstered by pirates ships that the Admiral either captured or managed to hire to work for him. It seems that I have a new potential ally for the fight against feudalism. United front anyone?
Last edited by Strala on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Strala wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

Probably the primary goal of the Second Sol Fleet is defeating the First Sol Fleet and ensuring that the outer planets of Sol become independent from the inner planets. Probably also bring some sort of order to the Kuiper belt. I was planning on the Admiral having several contacts with pirates in the Kuiper belt as I originally wanted the Second Sol Fleet to be bolstered by pirates ships that the Admiral either captured or managed to hire to work for him

I'm going to be using mercenaries a lot if accepted. Our characters also might have some similar goals.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 pm

Orostan wrote:
Strala wrote:Probably the primary goal of the Second Sol Fleet is defeating the First Sol Fleet and ensuring that the outer planets of Sol become independent from the inner planets. Probably also bring some sort of order to the Kuiper belt. I was planning on the Admiral having several contacts with pirates in the Kuiper belt as I originally wanted the Second Sol Fleet to be bolstered by pirates ships that the Admiral either captured or managed to hire to work for him

I'm going to be using mercenaries a lot if accepted. Our characters also might have some similar goals.

I still haven't really fleshed out my character's political compass other than him wanting to dismantle the current political system ie. bringing an end to the feudal structure of the Empire. I do like the idea of pirates and military officers working together so I do plan on the Admiral having/making some sort of contacts with the various pirates in the Kuiper Belt.
Last edited by Strala on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Orostan wrote:
Strala wrote:Probably the primary goal of the Second Sol Fleet is defeating the First Sol Fleet and ensuring that the outer planets of Sol become independent from the inner planets. Probably also bring some sort of order to the Kuiper belt. I was planning on the Admiral having several contacts with pirates in the Kuiper belt as I originally wanted the Second Sol Fleet to be bolstered by pirates ships that the Admiral either captured or managed to hire to work for him

If you're looking for mercenaries, Lacaille 9352 has some options.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:05 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Orostan wrote:I'm going to be using mercenaries a lot if accepted. Our characters also might have some similar goals.

The Shogunate might suggest that you hire a samurai.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Orostan wrote:I'm going to be using mercenaries a lot if accepted. Our characters also might have some similar goals.

do you have numidian space cavalry?

Strala wrote:

I still haven't really fleshed out my character's political compass other than him wanting to dismantle the current political system ie. bringing an end to the feudal structure of the Empire. I do like the idea of pirates and military officers working together so I do plan on the Admiral having/making some sort of contacts with the various pirates in the Kuiper Belt.

Socialism with space pirate characteristics.

The GAmeTopians wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

The Shogunate might suggest that you hire a samurai.

That might be fun too.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Orostan wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

I'm afraid we do not have Numidian space cavalry. But what we do have is the assassins of the Black And White, and the Knights Of St Kerazim, both quite skilled.

I would offer the Red Hand, but I'm afraid they dont quite work like that, they are loyal only to the people of Lacaille 9352.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Orostan wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

Nah, but I have big-ass ships and laser swords.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:41 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Orostan wrote:do you have numidian space cavalry?

Nah, but I have big-ass ships and laser swords.

Laser swords? You've caught my attention

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Strala wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Nah, but I have big-ass ships and laser swords.

Laser swords? You've caught my attention

Prolly not lightsaber levels of shenanigans, but if we have FTL we probably have a fairly decent handle on manipulating plasma.

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Is it possible for me to make a house that has founded a powerful military corporation that makes guns and stuff to sell to the military? Also how old can I make my character?
Last edited by The Temple of the Computer on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#FreeNSGRojava

Tayner
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tayner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:24 pm

Imperial Census

Name: Titus Lulin
Place of Birth: Charin Moon, Proxima C, Alpha Centauri
Appearance:

Occupation

Base of Power: The 12th Imperial Expeditionary Fleet.
The 12th Expeditionary, or the "Lulin's Raiders," in modern history it is known for it's keen victories over the rebellious houses of Lalande in 3995, and against renegade pirates in Procyon in 3997. It's mere presence in Wolf 359 was able to keep nobility there scared away from assisting the insurrection in 3999. The fleet is unlike many others, which are sent to garrison systems and defend them while keeping nobility in check, the Raiders are one of few who's mission is not defensive, but offensive. They project power when defensive fleets aren't enough, and have gained a reputation for being a more prestigious unit. Composed of three carrier groups, and seven task forces, commanded by a Halcion Class Dreadnaught, one of few remaining super heavy ships from an imperial era past that has been retrofitted to serve as the Fleet's capital ship.

Titus Lulin, commander of the Raiders since 3992, gained his commission in the Imperial Navy in 3961 through the Naval War Academy at Charin. Enrolled at 16, and graduating ahead of schedule, Titus would become known for becoming the youngest ship captain in the Imperial navy at age 23, when commanding the ISS Gallivant, when he took command of his ship during anti-piracy operations in Tau Ceti. His ship, cornered and alone during an outer system patrol, came under attack under 4:1 odds. With his captain dead, Lulin led the ship to victory by using it's maneuverability to draw the heavier pirate vessels into a dense asteroid field. By age 30 he commanded a task force, and took part in the Cygni Campaign, and since then has held multiple commands until being promoted to Admiral and being given command of the 12th.
Goals: Destroy the Xeno invasion in the outer colonies, maintain the Empire, and to evaluate the bastard's character
If anyone askes where we were Saturday at 14:30, we were at The Pub, understand?

-If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.
-No Combat Ready unit has ever passed inspection.
-No Inspection Ready unit has ever passed combat.
-There is nothing more satisfying to you then having the enemy shoot at you, and miss.
-Remember, your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
Disclaimer: The sig is out of date and I probably won't update it

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pm

This isn't nearly as fleshed out as I would like, but I want to get it out - I can always flesh things out more in IC.

Imperial Census

Name: Uchiumi Cho (Cho being the Personal Name, and Uchiumi the Surname/Clan Name)
Place of Birth: Trappist-1e
Appearance:

Occupation: Heiress to the Aquarius Shogunate, Minister of Public Security

Base of Power: Trappist-1e is an ocean megalopolis, and the designated capital of the Aquarius Shogunate. Originally established over a thousand years prior as FTL travel allowed colonists to reach the promising worlds of Trappist-1. The primary demographic amongst these particular colonists was Japanese expats - some loyal to their home country, others not so much. The primary funders of the Aquarius ventures, though, were the Uchiumi Clan; they were one of the wealthiest families in pre-interstellar Japan, and in the modern day are now one of the wealthiest families in the galaxy.
The Shogunate is incredibly militarized, but it has so far managed to fly under the radar of the rest of the Empire by passing off its military spending as “security to combat the pirate menace”. In reality, most of the so-called piracy that occurs in Aquarius space is exaggerated if not outright fabricated, and many ships that are logged as “destroyed in combat” are in fact in perfect condition. The Aquarius Security Force has come to be one of the most elite military forces in the galaxy, and few even know it.
Which brings us to Uchiumi Cho - Heir Apparent to the Shogun and Minister of Public Security - in other words, the voice of “security” policy in Aquarius and second only to the Shogun himself. Our story finds her departing for Sol and the Imperial Court, the biggest party in the galaxy. Perhaps not for the party itself - but instead to gather allies for the once isolated Shogunate, and build influence in an increasingly unstable Empire.
Goals: Secure the Aquarius Sector from outside threats. Acquire additional territory/assets. Become independent from the Empire.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 pm

Seems like most people are going for military characters, I might do something different - I'm thinking of either a businesswoman running a corporation that controls most of Venus's farmland, or a sort of AI butler/secretary for the Emperor who wields a disproportionate amount of power due to the current emperor's laziness and poor health.
Signatures are so 2014.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse