NATION

PASSWORD

Interregnum | Low Fantasy RP [OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Strala
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Sun May 23, 2021 9:54 am

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Strala wrote:Now that would be something the prince would be very interested in. It probably won't try to make any contracts of that nature until the Empire fractures or is near fracturing.

I mean, the inevitable dark times coming to this Empire are gonna create a golden age for the Order. So many people who need to die, so many plans that need to be stolen, so many meetings that need to be listened in on. It seems the Little God has finally gathered more suffering than he can handle on his own, and it must be released on the world to cleanse it.

As long as the order never goes after city officials of Hadriana or the princely house of Hadria, then they won't care what they do. House Hadria would be willing to pay large sums to sow chaos and to assassinate nobles in the south western/ western part of the Empire, where the Hadrian Empire once reigned.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Sun May 23, 2021 11:04 am

Strala wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:
I mean, the inevitable dark times coming to this Empire are gonna create a golden age for the Order. So many people who need to die, so many plans that need to be stolen, so many meetings that need to be listened in on. It seems the Little God has finally gathered more suffering than he can handle on his own, and it must be released on the world to cleanse it.

As long as the order never goes after city officials of Hadriana or the princely house of Hadria, then they won't care what they do. House Hadria would be willing to pay large sums to sow chaos and to assassinate nobles in the south western/ western part of the Empire, where the Hadrian Empire once reigned.

Well obviously we aren't going after the Hadrians or the city, that would make us enemies in our own safe haven.
Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Strala wrote:As long as the order never goes after city officials of Hadriana or the princely house of Hadria, then they won't care what they do. House Hadria would be willing to pay large sums to sow chaos and to assassinate nobles in the south western/ western part of the Empire, where the Hadrian Empire once reigned.

Well obviously we aren't going after the Hadrians or the city, that would make us enemies in our own safe haven.

We just have to make sure. I'm interested in the militaries of the other duchies. How are they going to armed and armored? The Hadrian Cataphracts are probably going to be armed similarly to a Byzantine Cataphract, though the cataphract will be armored with lamellar instead of scale. The heavy infantry in the service of the Prince is probably going to be equipped and trained in a similar manner to late Roman infantry. They'll probably be armored with chain mail, lamellar armor, or a combination of both. Lighter infantry/skirmishers would probably be equipped with an iron or steel ridge helmet and gambeson. Archers and crossbowmen would probably be armored in a similar fashion to the heavy infantry though brigandine might be used to armor archers and crossbowmen. Levied infantry would be armed and armored in a variety of ways, though the minimum standard was for every man to own a spear, gambeson, helmet, and shield. This would probably be different enough from most military units within the Empire that it would probably confuse most military units/levies and newer and/or distant nobles.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Sun May 23, 2021 12:58 pm

Strala wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

We just have to make sure. I'm interested in the militaries of the other duchies. How are they going to armed and armored? The Hadrian Cataphracts are probably going to be armed similarly to a Byzantine Cataphract, though the cataphract will be armored with lamellar instead of scale. The heavy infantry in the service of the Prince is probably going to be equipped and trained in a similar manner to late Roman infantry. They'll probably be armored with chain mail, lamellar armor, or a combination of both. Lighter infantry/skirmishers would probably be equipped with an iron or steel ridge helmet and gambeson. Archers and crossbowmen would probably be armored in a similar fashion to the heavy infantry though brigandine might be used to armor archers and crossbowmen. Levied infantry would be armed and armored in a variety of ways, though the minimum standard was for every man to own a spear, gambeson, helmet, and shield. This would probably be different enough from most military units within the Empire that it would probably confuse most military units/levies and newer and/or distant nobles.

The Order, though very well trained and organized, are not typically expected to fight in stand up battles, and their gear tends to reflect this. In general, for most of their missions their members will carry things that are smaller and easy to conceal, like knives, blowdarts, lock picks, putty and files, and a series of nonlethal weapons colloquially called "stingers," meant to hurt and irritate the eyes, nose and throat of their targets but not outright kill them. As for armor, in general, members of the Order dress like everyday members of the populace when on missions, despite what the symbolism of their robes may suggest. (It is generally understood in the Order, as well as by anyone who is familiar with them, that the symbolism and ease of hiding in their different colored robes is largely disseminated by the Order itself to trick unsuspecting civilians into looking for black, grey and white robed figures lurking in the shadows, as opposed to a cook in the kitchen poisoning their soup. In reality, these robes are only worn in their Sanctuaries or the Little Keep.)

However, though in general members of the Order do not carry particularly noticeable weapons on their person like swords, bows or spears, they are present and members are trained in their use. Armor is also found in the Little Keep, though the rarity in which members of the Order need to wear armor means that it is usually armor that is easier to maintain, such as gambesons, chainmail, shields and various kettle helms. Spears, bows and swords are also to be found in the Little Keeps armory, while usually only swords are found in the sanctuaries. Should the city of Hadriana come under attack however, the members of the Order are obligated to defend the city, mostly due to the fact that they call it home as much as anyone else who lives there. In the event of this, the members would likely be uniformed in their standard robes, predominantly black ones with grey ones operating as their sergeants and officers, while the Grand Master, likely the only one of the white ones to be in the city at the time unless the White Circle is also meeting during the siege (which would also translate into more members of the Order being present to defend Hadriana.) While some would be able to use spears or bows to help defend, most would likely be given swords and shields, to be sent wherever the Prince sees fit for them in the battle, while being armored in chainmail predominantly.

Ultimately, the Order would be able to offer some support as pikemen and spear formations, as well as some archers, but the monks of Little Keep would be most useful as highly trained and experienced light infantry.

Zapatha
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Sun May 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Tagging for interest, looks to be a nice backstory for some low-fantasy RP!

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Sun May 23, 2021 7:44 pm

What should be the minimum size of the city guard to keep order and to guard the walls and towers of Hadriana. Would a force of 5,000 to 10,000 work?

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Sun May 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Strala wrote:What should be the minimum size of the city guard to keep order and to guard the walls and towers of Hadriana. Would a force of 5,000 to 10,000 work?

Well, what's the population of the city?

For reference, NYC has a population of about 8 million people, and a police force of 36,000 people, making it the largest police force in the United States. This is about 0.4% of the cities population being in the police force. So, for Hadriana's city guard, depending on the population, you would probably want to shoot for somewhere around 0.2% to 0.4% of your cities population to have a force of guards who are large enough and have enough personnel to service the entire city.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Sun May 23, 2021 9:54 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Strala wrote:What should be the minimum size of the city guard to keep order and to guard the walls and towers of Hadriana. Would a force of 5,000 to 10,000 work?

Well, what's the population of the city?

For reference, NYC has a population of about 8 million people, and a police force of 36,000 people, making it the largest police force in the United States. This is about 0.4% of the cities population being in the police force. So, for Hadriana's city guard, depending on the population, you would probably want to shoot for somewhere around 0.2% to 0.4% of your cities population to have a force of guards who are large enough and have enough personnel to service the entire city.

I was worried that with lower levels of technology, it would be harder to control a city. Also originally I had the city planned to be 1 million though that might get lowered to 400,000.

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lotrisia » Sun May 23, 2021 11:55 pm

Vrijstaat Limburg wrote:
Lotrisia wrote:Wassenburg's my faction, it's up in the Northeast of the Empire, right up at the corner. It's a bit rural, lots of mountains and forests and small-ish cities, so your clans would fit right in, and I doubt my House would be overly hostile towards your people. I could see some system of diplomacy based on the mutual gifting of tribute in exchange for peace, following initial skirmishes when you'd moved in. I also have lands that extend about a third of the way down the Empire's Eastern borders if you'd rather live on more forgiving geography as well. As long as your people didn't cause shit, we'd have little reason to fight. I'd happily take you as a vassal if you want, but honestly I'd be happy with you just being a semi-friendly neighbour. The region has more than enough space for the two of us.

Sounds fun! If I run into any problems creating my house on your doorstep, or if I'd like to tie my house's history's to yours, would you prefer I asked you over the Forum or by telegram?

Forum for now, I check daily for the most part, but I think it may be a good idea to ask OP to make a Discord at this point. Real time communications are always easier.

Vrijstaat Limburg
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vrijstaat Limburg » Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 am

Lotrisia wrote:
Vrijstaat Limburg wrote:
Sounds fun! If I run into any problems creating my house on your doorstep, or if I'd like to tie my house's history's to yours, would you prefer I asked you over the Forum or by telegram?

Forum for now, I check daily for the most part, but I think it may be a good idea to ask OP to make a Discord at this point. Real time communications are always easier.

Gotcha!

I personally don’t think setting up a Discord is a good idea; RPs that set up a Discord generally die sooner, because there’s less chatter on their OOC threads, whichs makes it more difficult to attract new players.

That’s just my opinion though. I reckon the OP is caught up in enough work reading through all these apps too, so I’m just looking forward to the IC at this point (:
Economic Left/Right: 8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.74

AmericanValues results

My personal voting record:
- Dutch parliamentary elections of 2021: Mr. Kees van der Staaij (Lijst 11 Reformed Political Party)
FÜRECH JOT
EER DIENGE JOUVERNEUR
DOT JET JOTS VEUR ET VOADERLAN

Lotrisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lotrisia » Mon May 24, 2021 12:40 am

As a question for OP, how far advanced are bombards going to be? Would it be things like 1300s culverins only, or would we be seeing larger and more advanced designs? Our technology seems analogous to about late 1300s/early 1400s, and that'd put us in a good timeframe for the big bastards used in sieges.

I'm asking this because I'm considering having Duke Ulbrecht's financing and support of the development of practical bombards for sieges, to break the fortresses of the Northern Kingdoms (and other houses, if it comes to that), be one of his major motivations and storylines in this RP. I wanted to run that by you before I committed though, since I know introducing gunpowder siege artillery could be a bit contentious.
Last edited by Lotrisia on Mon May 24, 2021 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 7:50 am

Lotrisia wrote:As a question for OP, how far advanced are bombards going to be? Would it be things like 1300s culverins only, or would we be seeing larger and more advanced designs? Our technology seems analogous to about late 1300s/early 1400s, and that'd put us in a good timeframe for the big bastards used in sieges.

I'm asking this because I'm considering having Duke Ulbrecht's financing and support of the development of practical bombards for sieges, to break the fortresses of the Northern Kingdoms (and other houses, if it comes to that), be one of his major motivations and storylines in this RP. I wanted to run that by you before I committed though, since I know introducing gunpowder siege artillery could be a bit contentious.

If he does get funding the Prince will either try to cooperate with him and order some of the universities to start research or he would order some order agents to try to stall or destroy any research to ensure nothing can destroy the walls of Hadriana

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am

Strala wrote:
Lotrisia wrote:As a question for OP, how far advanced are bombards going to be? Would it be things like 1300s culverins only, or would we be seeing larger and more advanced designs? Our technology seems analogous to about late 1300s/early 1400s, and that'd put us in a good timeframe for the big bastards used in sieges.

If he does get funding the Prince will either try to cooperate with him and order some of the universities to start research or he would order some order agents to try to stall or destroy any research to ensure nothing can destroy the walls of Hadriana

Speaking of OP, where is OP?

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 am

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Strala wrote:If he does get funding the Prince will either try to cooperate with him and order some of the universities to start research or he would order some order agents to try to stall or destroy any research to ensure nothing can destroy the walls of Hadriana

IDK. It's been 6 days I think since he last posted here

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Mon May 24, 2021 9:56 am

Strala wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:

IDK. It's been 6 days I think since he last posted here

has it really been that long?
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 9:57 am

Alozia wrote:
Strala wrote:IDK. It's been 6 days I think since he last posted here

has it really been that long?

Yeah. Your last post was on May 18th, last Tuesday and today is May 24th. Also, welcome back!

Miekzhemy
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Miekzhemy » Mon May 24, 2021 11:03 am

Been kinda busy the past few days but I'ma try and get my finished app up sometime tonight
I'm just a guy that likes playing video games, drawing, acting/musical theatre, piano, rp, and impersonating people with a spunky disposition.

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Oblivion2 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:59 am

I’m looking to get in on this as an adventurer type of character. Not an adventurer in the DND sense, but one in a more medieval sense: a stranger from a distant land, displaced from their home for one reason or another, working for a wealthy or noble patron to gain either their old lands back or new ones suited to a person of their breeding.

Would anybody be interested in having a relationship of some sort with such a character?
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Devoted student of Alternative History
Proud Canadian

“What man is a man who does not try to make the world a better place?”
- Unknown

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Oblivion2 wrote:I’m looking to get in on this as an adventurer type of character. Not an adventurer in the DND sense, but one in a more medieval sense: a stranger from a distant land, displaced from their home for one reason or another, working for a wealthy or noble patron to gain either their old lands back or new ones suited to a person of their breeding.

Would anybody be interested in having a relationship of some sort with such a character?

I would be interested. Can you tell me more about the character you planned? Also, FYI, I'm not accepted yet so any relations will have to wait until then.

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Strala wrote:
Oblivion2 wrote:I’m looking to get in on this as an adventurer type of character. Not an adventurer in the DND sense, but one in a more medieval sense: a stranger from a distant land, displaced from their home for one reason or another, working for a wealthy or noble patron to gain either their old lands back or new ones suited to a person of their breeding.

I would be interested. Can you tell me more about the character you planned? Also, FYI, I'm not accepted yet so any relations will have to wait until then.

No problem. I’m hazy as to the actual geography of where my character would be from, but he’d be a man just getting into his 30’s, from a noble house somewhere that has lost its ancestral lands. No family, or perhaps a sister or something to give me something to do on the side politically perhaps. If you’ve seen or read game of thrones, your closest analogue would be like Sir Jorah Mormont. A man struggling to balance honour, power, desire to return home, and loyalty. Handy fighter to have around, with a decent head on his shoulders.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Herador
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Herador » Mon May 24, 2021 12:27 pm

Welp, it happened. I kept all my stuff in a tab group (images, pastebin rough draft, notes, etc.) and since I'm on a phone and have fat fingers... well, it's all gone.

I might have to drop out, days of work just got flushed because of my ham hands.
Vaguely a pessimist, certainly an absurdist, unironically an antinatalist.

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Oblivion2 wrote:
Strala wrote:I would be interested. Can you tell me more about the character you planned? Also, FYI, I'm not accepted yet so any relations will have to wait until then.

No problem. I’m hazy as to the actual geography of where my character would be from, but he’d be a man just getting into his 30’s, from a noble house somewhere that has lost its ancestral lands. No family, or perhaps a sister or something to give me something to do on the side politically perhaps. If you’ve seen or read game of thrones, your closest analogue would be like Sir Jorah Mormont. A man struggling to balance honour, power, desire to return home, and loyalty. Handy fighter to have around, with a decent head on his shoulders.

I see that'd be very interesting. I'm sure your character can find gainful employment in Hadriana, either to the Prince himself or one of the other leading families that resides within the city. How skilled is he at using a bow on a horse and is he a skilled rider? If so, he could become a Cataphract in the employment of the Prince or a rider in the city guard. If he has the money, he could probably become an officer in the city guard. Most likely a Kentarchos leading fourty riders or one of the five patrols in the city at any given time.
Last edited by Strala on Mon May 24, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Strala wrote:
Oblivion2 wrote:

I see that'd be very interesting. I'm sure your character can find gainful employment in Hadriana, either to the Prince himself or one of the other leading families that resides within the city. How skilled is he at using a bow on a horse and is he a skilled rider? If so, he could become a Cataphract in the employment of the Prince or a rider in the city guard. If he has the money, he could probably become an officer in the city guard. Most likely a Kentarchos leading fourty riders or one of the five patrols in the city at any given time.

More of a swordsman really, but he rides fairly decent. The concept would be less about gainful employment and more about working directly for a noble or royal house to get himself back into a position he feels he deserves. Aka: some kind of landed title.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

Strala
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Mon May 24, 2021 1:02 pm

Oblivion2 wrote:
Strala wrote:I see that'd be very interesting. I'm sure your character can find gainful employment in Hadriana, either to the Prince himself or one of the other leading families that resides within the city. How skilled is he at using a bow on a horse and is he a skilled rider? If so, he could become a Cataphract in the employment of the Prince or a rider in the city guard. If he has the money, he could probably become an officer in the city guard. Most likely a Kentarchos leading forty riders or one of the five patrols in the city at any given time.

More of a swordsman really, but he rides fairly decent. The concept would be less about gainful employment and more about working directly for a noble or royal house to get himself back into a position he feels he deserves. Aka: some kind of landed title.

Hmmm, well he could work for the Prince. What exactly is he skilled at? If it has anything to do with leading men or inspiring them, then he could always join the city or princely guard. If he joins the princely guard and ends his service as a regular infantryman, he probably is given a decent lump of cash, if he becomes a junior officer like a Kentarchos, he'll probably be knighted and given some cash, as a Kemos, he could become a landed knight, if he ever does become a Domestikos or Topotērētē then he's in for a lot of money and a will probably become a baronet or baron. Equivalent positions in the Hadrian Cataphracts are better, with regular Cataphracts at the end of their service achieving knighthood, and the Domestikos gaining the title of Count if they're not already a noble with a title above that of a count. You can probably advance faster in the city guard, though the giving out of titles are rare with the highest title you can go as a peacetime Domestikos that hasn't performed anything extraordinary being baronet. However, he probably won't be given a fiefdom as the princely house of Hadria only really owns Hadriana and the land surrounding it, not really being enough to hand out fiefdoms to their vassals. More than likely, you'll be given multiple villas inside the city or insulae which you can collect rent from tenants. Though with the death of the Emperor and the ambitions of the current patriarch of house Hadria wishing to reclaim land lost during the Hadrian treaty, you could probably gain some land if you stick with the Prince and end up fighting for him. Who knows, your character might even become a Duke or Marquis
Last edited by Strala on Mon May 24, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oblivion2
Ambassador

Postby Oblivion2 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Strala wrote:
Oblivion2 wrote:

Hmmm, well he could work for the Prince. What exactly is he skilled at? If it has anything to do with leading men or inspiring them, then he could always join the city or princely guard. If he joins the princely guard and ends his service as a regular infantryman, he probably is given a decent lump of cash, if he becomes a junior officer like a Kentarchos, he'll probably be knighted and given some cash, as a Kemos, he could become a landed knight, if he ever does become a Domestikos or Topotērētē then he's in for a lot of money and a will probably become a baronet or baron. Equivalent positions in the Hadrian Cataphracts are better, with regular Cataphracts at the end of their service achieving knighthood, and the Domestikos gaining the title of Count if they're not already a noble with a title above that of a count. You can probably advance faster in the city guard, though the giving out of titles are rare with the highest title you can go as a peacetime Domestikos that hasn't performed anything extraordinary being baronet. However, he probably won't be given a fiefdom as the princely house of Hadria only really owns Hadriana and the land surrounding it, not really being enough to hand out fiefdoms to their vassals. More than likely, you'll be given multiple villas inside the city or insulae which you can collect rent from tenants. Though with the death of the Emperor and the ambitions of the current patriarch of house Hadria wishing to reclaim land lost during the Hadrian treaty, you could probably gain some land if you stick with the Prince and end up fighting for him. Who knows, your character might even become a Duke or Marquis

I’ll think about it. I’m not quite sure it’s 100% what I’m looking for.
Warhammer 40k Enthusiast
Proud Canadian

- Unknown

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse