NATION

PASSWORD

Interregnum | Low Fantasy RP [OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Interregnum | Low Fantasy RP [OOC]

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 5:14 am

INTERREGNUM
OOC | IC | MAP

1202 years after the Ascension clouds gather over the Empire.

As the ailing Emperor nears his last days, dukes and counts sharpen their tongues (and swords) in anticipation of the next Imperial Election. The elected Imperial Crown, despite its lack of de facto power, carries a lot of prestige and helps establish connections across the continent. Former imperial houses still reap the benefits of their ancestors' rule, overseeing bountiful trade routes and vast tracts of land. While the great houses of the Empire squabble over the title for vanity's sake, small counts seek a champion of their own, someone who could bring order to their lands and shield them from the carelessness of the Great Lords.

What's more, messengers and spies from the North warn of an impending invasion of the Triumvirate, an alliance of three Northern kings seeking to expand their influence and end the Empire once and for all.

Take on the role of a head of a noble house, be it an elderly patriarch of a great house, a regent for a young lord or a knight with nothing more than a tiny house seeking to make a name for himself. Plot your way up the ladder, cause chaos or act as an agent of order. Sell out your allies or protect the innocent from the schemes of others.

RULES

1. Respect the words of the OP. Their decisions are binding, but players are welcome to state their case in a respectful manner.
In the end, however, the OP's word is final.

2. No pre-created characters, or characters from other works of fiction. This also applies to families, locations etc.

3. Do not post in the In Character thread without being accepted first.

4. No metagaming, your characters are not invincible or omnipotent.

5. Please put an effort into your posts, no one sentence posts.

6. No cheat-edits.

7. Keep things PG-13.

APPLICATIONS

House Application
Code: Select all
[b]House Name:[/b]
[b]House Seat:[/b]
[b]House Head:[/b]
[b]House Values:[/b] (optional)
[b]House Motto:[/b] (optional)
[b]House Members:[/b]
[b]House History:[/b] (at least two paragraphs)

Character Application
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Gender:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Role:[/b]
[b]Character Appearance:[/b] (face, height, weight etc.)
[b]Character Traits:[/b] (strengths AND weaknessess)
[b]Biography:[/b]

Location Application
[b]Location Name:[/b]
[b]Location Type:[/b] (Castle/city/village etc.)
[b]Location Description:[/b]
[b]Location History:[/b]
[b]Location... location:[/b] (see map)
Last edited by Alozia on Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 5:14 am

HOUSES
House Larmassard - Seat: Angouteaux - Words: 'Honor, Wealth, Prowess'
  • Duke Innocent Larmassard (born 1170 A.A.)
  • Dutchess Emmelina Larmassard (born 1177 A.A.)
  • Sire Luquin Larmassard, Mayor of Angouteaux (born 1174 A.A.)
  • Sire Regnault Larmassard, Treasurer of Angouteaux (born 1180 A.A.)
  • Sire Thierry Larmassard, Supreme Marshal of Angouteaux (born 1150 A.A.)
  • Sire Luca Larmassard, Supreme Justice of Angouteaux (born 1174 A.A.)

House Conifer - Seat: Conifer Hill - Words: 'Bide Your Time'
  • Lord Karl Rickard Conifer
  • Lady Edith Anne Conifer
  • Sire Rickard Conifer, Heir to the Lordship of Conifer Hill
  • Lady Anna Conifer-Barton, Daughter of the Lord
  • Lady Marion Herst (nee Conifer), Daughter of the Lord
  • Sire Robert Conifer, Son of the Lord
  • Engel Conifer, Son of the Lord

House Veernen - Seat: Castle Veernen/The Crossroads - Words: "For City, Valor, and Victory."
  • Richard Veernen II (57 years old, Head of The Noble House of Veernen, Lord of Crossroads)
  • Otto Veernen (32 years old, son of Richard II)
  • Catlin Veernen (25 years old, daughter of Richard II)
  • Audrey Veernen (55 years old, wife of Richard II)
  • Reed Veernen (2 years old, son of Catlin Veernen)
  • Dalvin Nicholas (27 years old, husband of Catlin Veernen)
  • At least ten others.

House Eisen - Words: "Blood Forged of Iron, Hearts Forged of Steel"
  • Friso Eisen (34 years old, Head of the House of Eisen)
  • Gebhard Eisen (31 years old)
  • Alwin Eisen (21 years old)
  • Eike Eisen (28 years old)
  • Ottilia Eisen (17 years old)

LOCATIONS
Angouteaux - Seat of House Larmassard
The city of Angouteaux is walled, providing protection against external enemies and internal rivals. It has paved streets, rich bazaars and a number of establishments such as inns and taverns. The harbors of Angouteaux are famous for their crucial role in naval commerce within the empire. The biggest port is the 'White Marble Port', called such because of white marble statues erected at the entrance of the port.

At the center of Angouteaux is the 'Larmassard Castle Complex', constructed by the House of Larmassard. The castle acts as the administrative and military center of the city. It is divided by the rest of city through a deep moat filled by water. This division keeps the House and the nobility separate from the civilians. The castle is equipped with a number of heavily fortified towers. On the inside, it is a small town by itself with administrative offices, spacious rooms for special events organized by the Duke and army barracks.

Conifer Hill - Seat of House Conifer
Conifer Hill is a strong wooden bastion, its fortifications towering over an adjacent village and nearby river. Using innovative techniques, the wooden walls of the castle are (mostly) fire resistant, possibly giving in only to the strongest of flames. The castle, as mentioned previously, is located by a river, used by various craftsmen to transport and process wood as well as by the residents of the village who use fresh water to do their laundry or to stay hydrated.

Conifer Hill, as the name implies, is located on a hill with the fortification overlooking a large forest. Said forest is home to a large number of wild animals and plants and provides the local garrison with a number of places where traps could be set up and ambushes organized, in case of a hostile invasion.

The Crossroads - Seat of House Veernen
The city of Crossroads is walled to hold against light to moderate siege, the streets are cobbled and lead in all four directions from the town, there is a marketplace in the center of town that has permanent shops and buildings for travelling merchants to rent. There is a single tavern/inn in town, located not but five minutes' walk from the market. On top of a nearby hill to the northeast of Crossroads sits Castle Veernen, which is walled, and quite secure. The town itself has no military, but a small guard often patrols the streets and watches over the city and keep.
Last edited by Alozia on Fri May 28, 2021 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mirum
Envoy

Founded: May 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 am

Hi, I'm interested in this RP and have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. I am not completely familiar with low fantasy, so, if you don't mind, what is low fantasy in the sense of this RP?
2. I noticed that noble houses and locations are included in the RP. Is it mandatory to create one?
3. Is there a little more backstory to the world (or an example location) so that we know what to put in our applications?

Thank you!
Home Page - Embassy Program - Q&A - News - Airport
Tier 6.5, Level 4, Type 5.5, Power Level 12 || Member of The Iron Alliance
Puppets:
Mountainus - Drecha - Mirum II (The Empire of Mirum) - Costavozka

A MT and Fantasy Nation. This Nation Does Not Represent My Views. NS Stats Null-And-Void.

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 5:30 am

Mirum wrote:Hi, I'm interested in this RP and have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Hey, glad to have you here!

Mirum wrote:1. I am not completely familiar with low fantasy, so, if you don't mind, what is low fantasy in the sense of this RP?

"Low fantasy" in the context of this RP means a fantasy setting (a fictional world) with little-to-no magic and magical creatures.
Mirum wrote:2. I noticed that noble houses and locations are included in the RP. Is it mandatory to create one?

It is not mandatory for you to create one of those, but it would help greatly with world building, especially if applying for a proper lord rather than an unlanded character.
Mirum wrote:3. Is there a little more backstory to the world (or an example location) so that we know what to put in our applications?

There is little additional backstory as to give players room to create their own backstories. Obviously, player created backstories should not be contradictory. The Kings' Keep is the (unofficial) name of the capital of the Empire.
Mirum wrote:Thank you!

Thank you!

Mirum
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 6:20 am

Hey, thanks for your swift reply, I just have one more question.
Alozia wrote:
Mirum wrote:1. I am not completely familiar with low fantasy, so, if you don't mind, what is low fantasy in the sense of this RP?

"Low fantasy" in the context of this RP means a fantasy setting (a fictional world) with little-to-no magic and magical creatures.

So does this mean that this is basically a medieval world with fantasy humanoid people (meaning elves, dwarves, etc.) and no magic? I am sorry if I am misunderstanding something here, I've played quite a few RPs before, but never a low fantasy one, so I am new to the genre.
Puppets:

A MT and Fantasy Nation. This Nation Does Not Represent My Views. NS Stats Null-And-Void.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Fri May 14, 2021 10:14 am

House Name: Larmassard
House Seat: Angouteaux
House Head: Innocent Larmassard
House Values: Cunning, wealth, diplomacy, culture
House Motto: 'Honor, Wealth, Prowess'
House Members:

Innocent Larmassard (32 years old - Patriarch of the House - Duke of Angouteaux)
Emmelina Larmassard (25 years old - wife of Innocent)
Luquin Larmassard (28 years old - brother of Innocent - Mayor of Angouteaux)
Regnault Larmassard (22 years old - brother of Innocent - Treasurer of Angouteaux)
Thierry Larmassard (52 years old - uncle of Innocent - Supreme Marshal of Angouteaux)
Luca Larmassard (28 years old - cousin of Innocent and son of Thierry - Supreme Justice of Angouteaux)

House History:

The history of the House of Larmassard mirrors the history of Angouteaux, which was formed when five smaller towns merged to form a single unified city. As Angouteaux became a center of commerce and trade, the Larmassard - a family of merchants - saw their fortunes skyrocket. Their wealth rivalled that of the traditional nobility. So when about 250 years ago Clamens Larmassard was appointed Grand Mayor of Angouteaux, it came to no surprise of anyone.

The Larmassard made the most of their new title; they constructed one of the largest castles of the Empire in the city center, grand walls to protect their city and expanded and beautified the harbors to attract even more merchants and ships. Eventually, about 100 years ago, Audenin Larmassard was granted the title of Duke as neither the Emperor nor the other traditional aristocrats could deny any longer the wealth and power of the House of Larmassard. Nevertheless, the House even today is looked down by some of the established aristocratic families due to its origins as merchants. Their low origin also means that the Larmassard have not been able to lay a claim on the Imperial Throne; instead, they are content to keep their little corner of the Empire to themselves and get even richer thanks to commerce.

Character Name: Innocent Larmassard
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 32
Character Role: Duke of Angouteaux
Character Appearance:

Character Traits:

• Charismatic: Innocent knows how to inspire his people with rousing speeches, and that means he enjoys popular support.
  • Rich: The House of Larmassard has wealth that almost rivals that of the Emperor thanks to extensive commerce.
  • Adequate fighter: While by no means a master swordsman, Innocent knows how to handle the sword and can manage to do well in battle against most foes.

• Low origins: The House of Larmassard was founded by merchants, and even today many landed aristocrats look down at them for their low origins.
  • Unexperienced army: The House of Larmassard rarely took military action, which means that Innocent's soldiers have not seen much, if any, combat.
  • New ruler: Innocent became Duke only last year, which means that he is still not well established and has to rely to advisors of his father.

Biography:

Innocent was the eldest son of Duke Augustin. As a boy, he received some of the best education available as his rich family could afford to provide him with a number of eminent tutors. From a young age he was also trained in swordsmanship and the art of war. Innocent never became a master swordsman or a literati scholar but he managed to gain enough cultural and martial skills to help him run his Duchy when his father died last year.

Since becoming Duke, he has had to rely on his family to help run the Duchy. His uncle, Thierry, became the Supreme Marshal and acts as a mentor to Innocent. Now, with the Emperor nearing his last days, Innocent prepares for the coming storm. Any unrest or civil conflict that could disrupt trade would be disastrous for Angouteaux, so Innocent must use the financial wealth of his Duchy to ensure that stability and peace prevails.

Location Name: Angouteaux
Location Type: Castle/City
Location Description:

The city of Angouteaux is walled, providing protection against external enemies and internal rivals. It has paved streets, rich bazaars and a number of establishments such as inns and taverns. The harbors of Angouteaux are famous for their crucial role in naval commerce within the empire. The biggest port is the 'White Marble Port', called such because of white marble statues erected at the entrance of the port.

At the center of Angouteaux is the 'Larmassard Castle Complex', constructed by the House of Larmassard. The castle acts as the administrative and military center of the city. It is divided by the rest of city through a deep moat filled by water. This division keeps the House and the nobility separate from the civilians. The castle is equipped with a number of heavily fortified towers. On the inside, it is a small town by itself with administrative offices, spacious rooms for special events organized by the Duke and army barracks.

Location History:

The city of Angouteaux was founded about four centuries ago when five smaller towns unified to form a single city. This is why even today it is still sometimes called the 'Five Towns' informally and why people who live in the districts corresponding with those old towns retain traces of their regional identity.

Due to its favorable for commerce location and big harbors, Angouteaux became one of the richest cities in the Empire and saw its population expand dramatically. Rich merchants would donate money for the construction of inns and hospitals to aid the poorest of citizens - an act encouraged by the fact that those who donated generously could be elevated to the ranks of nobility -, leading people from nearby villages and towns to head to Angouteaux. This meant that now Angouteaux has become the second largest city in the Empire.

Location... location: https://imgur.com/UyJvKz6
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 am

Mirum wrote:Hey, thanks for your swift reply, I just have one more question.
Alozia wrote:"Low fantasy" in the context of this RP means a fantasy setting (a fictional world) with little-to-no magic and magical creatures.

So does this mean that this is basically a medieval world with fantasy humanoid people (meaning elves, dwarves, etc.) and no magic? I am sorry if I am misunderstanding something here, I've played quite a few RPs before, but never a low fantasy one, so I am new to the genre.

It's basically a fictional medieval world with humans and no dragons/elves/dwarves etc.

Mirum
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am

Alozia wrote:
Mirum wrote:Hey, thanks for your swift reply, I just have one more question.

It's basically a fictional medieval world with humans and no dragons/elves/dwarves etc.

Got it. That's what I assumed at first, just wanted to confirm.
Puppets:

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 10:48 am

Sao Nova Europa wrote:House Name: Larmassard
House Seat: Angouteaux
House Head: Innocent Larmassard
House Values: Cunning, wealth, diplomacy, culture
House Motto: 'Honor, Wealth, Prowess'
House Members:

Innocent Larmassard (32 years old - Patriarch of the House - Duke of Angouteaux)
Emmelina Larmassard (25 years old - wife of Innocent)
Luquin Larmassard (28 years old - brother of Innocent - Mayor of Angouteaux)
Regnault Larmassard (22 years old - brother of Innocent - Treasurer of Angouteaux)
Thierry Larmassard (52 years old - uncle of Innocent - Supreme Marshal of Angouteaux)
Luca Larmassard (28 years old - cousin of Innocent and son of Thierry - Supreme Justice of Angouteaux)

House History:

The history of the House of Larmassard mirrors the history of Angouteaux, which was formed when five smaller towns merged to form a single unified city. As Angouteaux became a center of commerce and trade, the Larmassard - a family of merchants - saw their fortunes skyrocket. Their wealth rivalled that of the traditional nobility. So when about 250 years ago Clamens Larmassard was appointed Grand Mayor of Angouteaux, it came to no surprise of anyone.

The Larmassard made the most of their new title; they constructed one of the largest castles of the Empire in the city center, grand walls to protect their city and expanded and beautified the harbors to attract even more merchants and ships. Eventually, about 100 years ago, Audenin Larmassard was granted the title of Duke as neither the Emperor nor the other traditional aristocrats could deny any longer the wealth and power of the House of Larmassard. Nevertheless, the House even today is looked down by some of the established aristocratic families due to its origins as merchants. Their low origin also means that the Larmassard have not been able to lay a claim on the Imperial Throne; instead, they are content to keep their little corner of the Empire to themselves and get even richer thanks to commerce.

Character Name: Innocent Larmassard
Character Age: 32
Character Role: Duke of Angouteaux
Character Appearance:

(Image)

Character Traits:

• Charismatic: Innocent knows how to inspire his people with rousing speeches, and that means he enjoys popular support.
  • Rich: The House of Larmassard has wealth that almost rivals that of the Emperor thanks to extensive commerce.
  • Adequate fighter: While by no means a master swordsman, Innocent knows how to handle the sword and can manage to do well in battle against most foes.

• Low origins: The House of Larmassard was founded by merchants, and even today many landed aristocrats look down at them for their low origins.
  • Unexperienced army: The House of Larmassard rarely took military action, which means that Innocent's soldiers have not seen much, if any, combat.
  • New ruler: Innocent became Duke only last year, which means that he is still not well established and has to rely to advisors of his father.

Biography:

Innocent was the eldest son of Duke Augustin. As a boy, he received some of the best education available as his rich family could afford to provide him with a number of eminent tutors. From a young age he was also trained in swordsmanship and the art of war. Innocent never became a master swordsman or a literati scholar but he managed to gain enough cultural and martial skills to help him run his Duchy when his father died last year.

Since becoming Duke, he has had to rely on his family to help run the Duchy. His uncle, Thierry, became the Supreme Marshal and acts as a mentor to Innocent. Now, with the Emperor nearing his last days, Innocent prepares for the coming storm. Any unrest or civil conflict that could disrupt trade would be disastrous for Angouteaux, so Innocent must use the financial wealth of his Duchy to ensure that stability and peace prevails.

Location Name: Angouteaux
Location Type: Castle/City
Location Description:

Location History:

The city of Angouteaux was founded about four centuries ago when five smaller towns unified to form a single city. This is why even today it is still sometimes called the 'Five Towns' informally and why people who live in the districts corresponding with those old towns retain traces of their regional identity.

Due to its favorable for commerce location and big harbors, Angouteaux became one of the richest cities in the Empire and saw its population expand dramatically. Rich merchants would donate money for the construction of inns and hospitals to aid the poorest of citizens - an act encouraged by the fact that those who donated generously could be elevated to the ranks of nobility -, leading people from nearby villages and towns to head to Angouteaux. This meant that now Angouteaux has become the second largest city in the Empire.

Location... location: https://imgur.com/UyJvKz6

Accepted.

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 10:49 am

Mirum wrote:
Alozia wrote:It's basically a fictional medieval world with humans and no dragons/elves/dwarves etc.

Got it. That's what I assumed at first, just wanted to confirm.

No problem! :)

Hopal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hopal » Fri May 14, 2021 10:53 am

Looks interesting, I have an idea in mind, though it might be awhile before I apply I have a backlog of post I want to do and schoolwork, but I'll try to get an app up in the next few days.
A Nation in South America, comprised of indigenous tribes, immigrants, French and Portuguese settlers, and European Socialists.
Representative Greg Shields (D-CA-28) [Twilight's Last Gleaming]

Mirum
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am

Location Name: Crossroads
Location Type: Large Village / Small City (Has a small castle: Castle Veernen)
Location Description: The city of Crossroads is walled to hold against light to moderate siege, the streets are cobbled and lead in all four directions from the town, there is a marketplace in the center of town that has permanent shops and buildings for travelling merchants to rent. There is a single tavern/inn in town, located not but five minutes' walk from the market. On top of a nearby hill to the northeast of Crossroads sits Castle Veernen, which is walled, and quite secure. The town itself has no military, but a small guard often patrols the streets and watches over the city and keep.
Location History: The city of Crossroads is about two centuries old, and was once a mere stopping trip for any merchants who travelled the roads of the Empire and a safe-haven for others seeking refuge. When initially the city was ruled by a council, the Veernen family was a part of that council, which was soon disbanded by the order of the Emperor. The city soon began to grow, prosper, and become a major trade hub.

In recent years, House Veernen has slowly began to clamp down more and more on the city of Crossroads, which is slowly loosing its prosperity. The citizens are growing restless, a storm is brewing within the walls, one others would wish to take advantage of for their own gain. Now, the city is beginning to crumble on both the outside and the in. It is only a matter of time before the storm is unleashed...
Location location: https://i.ibb.co/vkmHBwC/new-rp-map.jpg

Crest

House Name: The Noble House of Veernen
House Seat: Crossroads
House Head: Richard Veernen II
House Values: Wealth, Power, Modesty, Courage, Family, History,
House Motto: "For City, Valor, and Victory."
House Members:
  • Richard Veernen II (57 years old, Head of The Noble House of Veernen, Lord of Crossroads)
  • Otto Veernen (32 years old, son of Richard II, heir to the Lordship of Crossroads)
  • Audrey Veernen (55 years old, wife of Richard II, Lady of Crossroads)
  • At least ten others.
House History: The history of The Noble House of Veernen models that of the city of which they rule. Stephan Veernen found out that one of the members of the council was conspiring against the Emperor, and reported him, and in return, was given lordship over the city. The Veernen family, while thankful for what they had, wanted more. The family soon began reaching their influence into other cities, working their way up the totem pole as it would have been said.

In recent years, House Veernen has slowly lost some of its power and wealth, forcing them to secretly make deals with shady individuals, and loose even more than they could gain. Debt slowly begins to creep on the family, which may soon catch the notice of the townsfolk and others who would destroy all that has been built. As of now, House Veernen remains in power and wealth, but only time will tell what happens next, as the only chance for the family is to seize a mass amount of power...

Character Name: Otto Veernen
Character Age: 32 years old
Character Role: Heir Apparent to the head of The Noble House of Veernen and Lordship of Crossroads.
Character Appearance:
Character Traits:
Strengths:
  • Extreme Intelligence: Otto is quite smart and clever.
  • Wealth: As a member of House Veernen, Otto is quite wealthy.
  • Highly Charismatic: Otto is quite able to persuade most people to do things that he wants to be done, and at times, can even get away with almost anything.

Weaknesses:
  • Clumsy and Weak: What Otto has in charisma and intellect, he lacks in dexterity and strength.
  • Socially Awkward: Otto, while charismatic, is not good at interpersonal skills, can be blunt at times, and is always very formal.
  • Cowardice: Otto is not the bravest person on the planet, and will run away initiate self-preservation if the situation begins to look dire.
Biography: Otto is the eldest child of Lord Richard Veernen II. As a child, he was tutored by the Empire's best teachers. When he grew older, Otto quickly outpaced his teachers in most scholarly subjects. Otto, while not a master swordsman, became quite useful with a rapier, but never the longsword. As his schooling came to an end, Otto was able to help pick up most of the tasks of local ruling (taxation, legislation, etc.) from his aging father, who only really was a figurehead that made the bargains at that point. As his father's health began to decline, Otto quickly learned the sorry state that the family was in, and decided to set out to other towns and cities to fix it, leaving his sister in charge of the city. Otto returned to the city quickly, having learned that the city is in a dire state, and is attempting to help the town brace for the coming storm of unrest...
Last edited by Mirum on Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Puppets:

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 pm

A work in progress, but feedback is appreciated!

House Name: House Mteru
House Seat: Vandolenne Court
House Head: Rauthar Munger III Mteru, theoretically as viceroy of the Riverine, though his grandfather Munger Adja II Mteruv as coroy still has de facto control over the house.
House Values: House Mteruv sees itself as the keeper of old knowledge and the guardians of history. Some say they dwell on the past, but they see history as the key to the future. A very fortunate concidence, or perhaps not coincidental, seeing as they produced three of the greatest emperors of the Early Empire, a fact which they are extremely proud of.
House Motto: 'Giants on giants' shoulders stand' (Mteruva Mtaruvadine Teru)
House Members:
  • Munger Adja II, coroy (former viceroy) of the Riverine; the ageing patriarch of House Mteruv instantly recognisable by his long, grey beard and his piercing green eyes, a man known and revered for his strict discipline and unrivalled knowledge of imperial history. Approaching eighty, he is not as energetic as he used to be, but he is still far more active than he lets on to the outside world.
  • Rauthar Munger III, viceroy of the Riverine. Grandson of Munger Adja II, and his direct successor, as his mother Alleria died giving birth to him. Munger Adja loved Alleria, his favourite child, and sees Rauthar as a lesser copy of her, which has led to a harsh upbringing. Due to his advanced age, Munger Adja abdicated his viceroyalty in favour of Rauthar, to give him some hands-on experience, but Rauthar is definitely still standing in his grandfather's shadow. Also, since he is now viceroy, Rauthar is eligible to claim the imperial throne, and as a man in his late twenties he would make far longer use of it than his ageing grandfather, though he is very much seen as an extension of his grandfather in matters political.
  • Angellos [OTHER HOUSE NAME HERE], father of Rauthar and widow of Alleria. A clever, keen and strong man, but with little ambition. A caring but somewhat absent father figure for Rauthar, and the complete opposite of his overbearing father-in-law. He was picked by the latter exactly because he did not have ambitions to supplant the Mteruv, which was an important quality in the eyes of Munger Adja.
  • Suvi [OTHER HOUSE NAME HERE], wife of Rauthar. At 24, she is younger than Rauthar by a few years, and their marriage has been tainted by the fact that she remains childless. Suvi and Rauthar have a strong bond of friendship, but very little romantic feelings for one another, and the combination of that has very much limited their attempts to become pregnant. Childless candidates are preferred for the imperial throne, however, since the fear of an imperial dynasty establishing itself still lingers in the minds of many noble houses, which is why Munger Adja II has not made a stink about it so far, since the survival of his house is ensured through other branches.
  • Adja Mteru, the genius cousin of Rauthar and a few years his senior. Adja lives a quiet life, acting as steward for the Riverine and thus in charge of the bookkeeping. He has a knack for numbers and is cool and level-headed, but detests both the spotlights and the responsibility that is demanded of rulers. His responsibilities are clearly laid out, and he very rarely has to make decisions that are not cost-saving in nature. But he acts as an advisor to Rauthar, and a milder one than Munger Adja.
  • Yetuvera Mteru, the aunt of Rauthar, mother of Mteru, and captain of the Mausoleons; the viceroyal guard and knighthood of the Riverine. A martial figure, her combat prowess is looked down upon by her father, yet she is known for not giving a toss about what her father thinks. She has acted as a surrogate mother for Rauthar, though she was only slightly less strict than her father had been for her. Discipline was important, of course. Yet, Rauthar learnt horseback riding and fighting with various weapons from her, quite peculiar since martial prowess was before looked down upon by the Mteruv.
House History: The House Mteru traces its legendary origins back to the very foundation of the Empire. According to legend, Mteru the First was a tribal warlord of the Riverine region, who joined the service of the First Emperor and acted as his bodyguard, since he was tallest of all men. At his life's end, with Mteru having gained so much experience and knowledge about governing from his patron, the emperor adopted him as his only son, and conferred the empire upon him. What followed was the reign of the Three Glorious emperors: Mteru, his son Munger, and Munger's brother Rauthar. They fortified the borders of the empire and even expanded them, while also implementing just laws that spurred economic growth. They, especially Munger and Rauthar, are known as the Philosopher Kings, with their reign being seen as peaceful and just.

This myth, which is equal parts truth and embellishment, is what the Mteru base their prestige on. They were the ones that built the empire and placed its foundations, only to be shunned afterwards. The Mteruv still believe that they have a birthright to the throne, even though after the age of the Three Good Emperors, they have hardly ever held the imperial crown. Still, they believe the elections are a farce, and hardly ever take part in the elections because of it. While they find their prestige in the era of the Three Emperors, they current power flows from the fact that they control the Vandolenne Court, and with it, the Great Mausoleum where the Three Emperors are entombed. In the shadow of the Great Mausoleum stands the Imperial Archive, a library of historical documents which tells the history of most of the empire. This knowledge is what has kept the Mteru relevant all these years; each of their viceroys has spent days, weeks, years studying in its marble halls. It is a right and a burden to stand on the shoulders of the giants who came before.

From their seat of power in the Riverine, Munger Adja II, former viceroy of the Riverine, eyes the capital jealously. After a long and storied life, he longs for nothing more than to get the imperial throne back into the hands of his family. Permanently, if possible. It is his life's work, and he shall stop at nothing to achieve it. With the death of the emperor, he will undertake the journey to the east with his grandson in tow, and will use whatever means deemed necessary to achieve his birthright.

Character Name: Rauthar Munger III
Character Age: 28
Character Role: Viceroy of the Riverine, Head of House Mteru
Character Appearance:
Character Traits: Rauthar is a clever lad, but not the cleverest. He is kind, but not the kindest. He is, generally, riddled with anxieties about himself, and lacks confidence, which is the main thing holding him back. He feels that he needs to excel in all fields, though that is of course not at all necessary. This keeps him back from actually using his many moderate skills, which in turn means he lacks experience in most fields. His grandfather has never allowed him to make many decisions at all, which at this point in his life is really holding him back.
Biography:

Location Name: Vandolenne Court
Location Type: City, capital of the Riverine
Location Description: A city on the Riverine Fork, built around the Mausoleat Hill. The Mausoleum itself is of ancient architecture, but the city surrounding it has more modern architecture. It's a half-way point for river boats traveling up the two rivers, but since taverns are banned inside the city walls, small towns have arisen around the rivers to accomodate travellers.
Location History: Vandolenne was historically never the capital of the Riverine, at least not under the Three Emperors. It was Munger the First who constructed it for his father, but eventually it was expanded to include two additional tombs for himself and his brother Rauthar. Vandolenne was supposed to be far away from the King's Keep and from the rest of the Riverine, just visited by pilgrims and watching solemly over those traveling the Two Rivers. Yet, over time, a pilgrim town developed around, and the pilgrim town attracted those seeking shelter from river-going. Eventually, the city got a city council and came to rival the old seaside capital of Havonne. Since Havonne had very little historical significance, eventually the viceroys of the Riverine moved their capital north to Vandolenne, establishing a royal archive there. The royal archive gained the title 'imperial' after the assumption of Adja II as emperor, one of the few Mteruv to ascend to that position after the reign of the Three Emperors. There, the House Mteru ossified into their current positions as keepers of history, more content with contemplation in the tombs of their long-dead forefathers than with the goings-on of the present day. It was perhaps an unwise choice, since Havonne has since grown on the back of ocean trade and its wealthy salt flats, and is about twice the size of Vandolenne. What is more, where Vandolenne is ruled by tradition, Havonne is ruled on the basis of pragmatism. The power of the Five Mayors continues to grow in Havonne, creating an uneasy power imbalance between the nominally powerful and prestigious House of Mteru, and the economically powerful Five Mayors.
Location: The northernmost point of the island in the fork of the westernmost river.
Last edited by Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States on Sat May 15, 2021 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Herador
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Herador » Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Definitely tagging. Only have access to my phone for a while though, so the app is going to take a bit.

What is the max size for a houses main holding? I'd like to go for a merchant house that also dabbles in mercenary work. I was thinking the city would be a good size, a thousand or so people, a good sized castle, a few small fortified manors (three if I recall correctly), and a fairly extensive port. Nothing like a metropolis but not small. If that's too much I can definitely tone it down, but I'd like to use portions of an old app since I can't use my PC.

Also, I'd like the house to be vassals of another player if possible. I think it would make it easier for me to roleplay since "nation" RP's aren't something I'm great at.
Last edited by Herador on Fri May 14, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vaguely a pessimist, certainly an absurdist, unironically an antinatalist.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Herador wrote:Definitely tagging. Only have access to my phone for a while though, so the app is going to take a bit.

What is the max size for a houses main holding? I'd like to go for a merchant house that also dabbles in mercenary work. I was thinking the city would be a good size, a thousand or so people, a good sized castle, a few small fortified manors (three if I recall correctly), and a fairly extensive port. Nothing like a metropolis but not small. If that's too much I can definitely tone it down, but I'd like to use portions of an old app since I can't use my PC.

Also, I'd like the house to be vassals of another player if possible. I think it would make it easier for me to roleplay since "nation" RP's aren't something I'm great at.

You could become a vassal of Larmassard (me). My House/Duchy has earned its wealth/power through commerce, so your merchant House would fit right in. :)
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri May 14, 2021 1:16 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Herador wrote:Definitely tagging. Only have access to my phone for a while though, so the app is going to take a bit.

You could become a vassal of Larmassard (me). My House/Duchy has earned its wealth/power through commerce, so your merchant House would fit right in. :)

The house Mteru definitely looks down on the 'noble' house Larmassard. Merchant upstarts, bah!
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

Herador
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Herador » Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

The house Mteru definitely looks down on the 'noble' house Larmassard. Merchant upstarts, bah!

So, I guess that's a "nah" on the vassal proposition?

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:The house Mteru definitely looks down on the 'noble' house Larmassard. Merchant upstarts, bah!

You may be noble, but we are rich 8) 8) 8) :p
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri May 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Herador wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:The house Mteru definitely looks down on the 'noble' house Larmassard. Merchant upstarts, bah!

I think so... They absolutely look down upon the merchant class. After all, they have a thousand years of history behind them. The other houses are like children to them, and upstart merchants are so detached from the world of legend and myth that they are beneath consideration.

Sao Nova Europa wrote:

You may be noble, but we are rich 8) 8) 8) :p

Ow, the late middle ages. Money and wealth from investment slowly undermining the power of the land owners and the hereditary nobility. This will probably work out fine...

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Fri May 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Herador wrote:

Good news is you can become my vassal, since Larmassard do not look down on merchants (since the Larmassard were merchants once). :)
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm

House Name: Conifer
House Seat: Conifer Hill
House Head: Lord Karl Rickard Conifer of Conifer Hill
House Values: patience, diligence, fairness
House Motto: "Bide Your Time"
House Members:

• Karl Rickard Conifer (44 Years old - Head of the House - Lord of Conifer Hill)
  • Edith Anne Conifer (40 Years old - Spouse of the Lord)
  • Rickard Conifer (28 years old - son of the Lord, heir apparent to the Lordship - married to Isabelle Conifer [nee Aleux]; father to Karl Conifer [12] and Maele Conifer [11])
  • Anna Conifer-Barton (26 years old - daughter of the Lord - the "rebellious one" - wife of Sire Michel Barton; mother of Eduard Barton [10] and adoptive mother of Jon Conifer-Barton [9])
  • Marion Herst (nee Conifer) (25 years old - daughter of the Lord - "The Lady" - wife of Eduard Herst)
  • Robert Conifer (20 years old - son of the Lord, Knight - married)
  • Engel Conifer (16 years old - son of the Lord)
House History: House Conifer has a centuries-long history, some believe it to be one of the oldest houses in the Empire. Despite this rumor, the Conifers are not magnates or large land owners, making their living through forestry instead - nurturing and then cutting down trees, processing them and sending them to various parts of the Empire. Due to their long-standing tradition, Conifer Hall is known for its masterful woodworking - some say that even their wooden practice swords are capable of killing a man in his prime. Their greatest achievement, however, is their paper making technique - using innovative methods, the Conifers are capable of making the best paper on the continent, many of their products now make up large portions of the most esteemed libraries in the Empire and beyond.

The Conifers have a reputation of diligence and patience, making them respected mediators. With their help, various Emperors have managed to avoid conflict in the Eastern parts of the Empire over the centuries, a skill that allowed for the elevation of mere Barons of Conifer Hill to the rank of Lords (regardless of how meaningless that de jure change actually was). Their reputation also helps in various business dealings, Conifer caravans rarely get seized by other imperial lords or fall victim to petty regional feuds.
Character Name: Karl Rickard Conifer
Character Age: 44
Character Role: Lord of Conifer Hill
Character Appearance:
Lord Conifer is a tall, muscular man in his mid-fourties. His brown hair and beard begin to show his age as they start turning grey.
Character Traits:
A True Conifer - Lord Conifer lives up to his title, exhibiting patience, diligence and willingness to seek peace at all times just like the countless men who have held the title before him. Over the years he has built a reputation as a man of reason and an incredibly trustworthy individual. This does not come without its downsides, however, as your typical Conifer - especially Karl - is vulnerable to the schemes and plots of the Imperial Court, not skilled in playing "The Great Game".

Showing My Age - As times goes by, Lord Conifer is getting older and starting to show his age. The work heavy lifestyle of Conifer Hill that has given him considerable strength in his youth is now beginning to show its downsides - Karl's body is beginning to give in, his back is starting to prove a nuisance and some are concerned that his mind might eventually follow.

In The Lands Faraway - Conifer Hill is far from the Capital and as such most of its members, including Karl, are largely out of touch with the affairs of the Imperial Court. Major events are known to them, of course, but it would take some time for a Conifer to settle in the Capital.

Biography:
Born in the Conifer Hill, Karl spent his youth in the woods - chasing local wildlife, learning about mushrooms and berries and studying the trees. As a young man he joined the countless lumberjacks, putting his muscle and brain to good use. Eventually ascending to the Lordship after his father's premature death at the hands of hill bandits during a diplomatic mission as an Imperial Envoy, Karl turned to diplomacy and business seeking to grow the wealth of his house. Earning good coin, he funded a major renovation of his house's ancestral seat turning it into an even more impressive fortification.

A family man, Karl fathered five children - all noble, but in a different way. His eldest son, Rickard is almost a mirror image of himself, embodying the same values that Karl does. His eldest daughter Anna is a rebellious woman, getting in all sorts of trouble in her youth. Almost a decade ago, she adopted a young boy named Jon. Appearing one day at the gates of Conifer Hill in a basket, the young boy was taken in by Anna, at the time a newly made mother. Karl's second daughter, Marion, is the embodiment of ladylike virtues. She is a good conversationist, a devout believer and a talented embroiderer. Her almost decade long marriage failed to produce a child, to her great disappointment. Robert Conifer, Karl's second son, is a talented swordsman, a brave knight ready to serve the Emperor at any time. The youngest Conifer child is an enigma, young Engel prefers books instead of trees, pen instead of a sword.

As the end of the Emperor's reign draws nearer, Karl dreads his electoral duty. He isn't one for the greater Imperial politics, although he is concerned about the potential invasion of the Triumvirate.

Location Name: Conifer Hill
Location Type: Castle, surrounded by a relatively small town
Location Description: Conifer Hill is a strong wooden bastion, its fortifications towering over an adjacent village and nearby river. Using innovative techniques, the wooden walls of the castle are (mostly) fire resistant, possibly giving in only to the strongest of flames. The castle, as mentioned previously, is located by a river, used by various craftsmen to transport and process wood as well as by the residents of the village who use fresh water to do their laundry or to stay hydrated.

Conifer Hill, as the name implies, is located on a hill with the fortification overlooking a large forest. Said forest is home to a large number of wild animals and plants and provides the local garrison with a number of places where traps could be set up and ambushes organized, in case of a hostile invasion.
Location History: Conifer Hill was first settled approximately 850 years ago, with a small tower on top of the hill overlooking a logging camp. Eventually, the watchtower would be torn down and replaced by a couple of wooden houses which in turn were then replaced by a wooden keep that stands to this day. Due to its solitary location, the castle has not seen any major engagements, mostly serving as a shelter from hill bandits and poachers.
Location... location: Will mark on the map in a second.
Last edited by Alozia on Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mirum
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Hey, Alozia, I sent out an application, I doubt you've accepted it yet, as that is not showing up. Anything you would like me to fix in order to be accepted?
Puppets:

Alozia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 14, 2021 1:56 pm

Mirum wrote:Location Name: Crossroads
Location Type: Large Village / Small City (Has a small castle: Castle Veernen)
Location Description: The city of Crossroads is walled to hold against light to moderate siege, the streets are cobbled and lead in all four directions from the town, there is a marketplace in the center of town that has permanent shops and buildings for travelling merchants to rent. There is a single tavern/inn in town, located not but five minutes' walk from the market. On top of a nearby hill to the northeast of Crossroads sits Castle Veernen, which is walled, and quite secure. The town itself has no military, but a small guard often patrols the streets and watches over the city and keep.
Location History: The city of Crossroads is about two centuries old, and was once a mere stopping trip for any merchants who travelled the roads of the Empire and a safe-haven for others seeking refuge. When initially the city was ruled by a council, the Veernen family was a part of that council, which was soon disbanded by the order of the Emperor. The city soon began to grow, prosper, and become a major trade hub.

In recent years, House Veernen has slowly began to clamp down more and more on the city of Crossroads, which is slowly loosing its prosperity. The citizens are growing restless, a storm is brewing within the walls, one others would wish to take advantage of for their own gain. Now, the city is beginning to crumble on both the outside and the in. It is only a matter of time before the storm is unleashed...
Location location: https://i.ibb.co/vkmHBwC/new-rp-map.jpg

House Name: The Noble House of Veernen
House Seat: Crossroads
House Head: Richard Veernen II
House Values: Wealth, Power, Modesty, Courage, Family, History,
House Motto: "For City, Valor, and Victory."
House Members:
  • Otto Veernen (32 years old, son of Richard II)
  • Audrey Veernen (55 years old, wife of Richard II)
  • At least ten others.
House History: The history of The Noble House of Veernen models that of the city of which they rule. Stephan Veernen found out that one of the members of the council was conspiring against the Emperor, and reported him, and in return, was given lordship over the city. The Veernen family, while thankful for what they had, wanted more. The family soon began reaching their influence into other cities, working their way up the totem pole as it would have been said.

In recent years, House Veernen has slowly lost some of its power and wealth, forcing them to secretly make deals with shady individuals, and loose even more than they could gain. Debt slowly begins to creep on the family, which may soon catch the notice of the townsfolk and others who would destroy all that has been built. As of now, House Veernen remains in power and wealth, but only time will tell what happens next, as the only chance for the family is to seize a mass amount of power...

Character Name: Otto Veernen
Character Age: 32 years old
Character Role: Heir Apparent to the head of The Noble House of Veernen
Character Appearance:
(Image)
Character Traits:
Strengths:
  • Extreme Intelligence: Otto is quite smart and clever.
  • Wealth: As a member of House Veernen, Otto is quite wealthy.
  • Highly Charismatic: Otto is quite able to persuade most people to do things that he wants to be done, and at times, can even get away with almost anything.

Weaknesses:
  • Clumsy and Weak: What Otto has in charisma and intellect, he lacks in dexterity and strength.
  • Socially Awkward: Otto, while charismatic, is not good at interpersonal skills, can be blunt at times, and is always very formal.
  • Cowardice: Otto is not the bravest person on the planet, and will run away initiate self-preservation if the situation begins to look dire.
Biography: Otto is the eldest child of Lord Richard Veernen II. As a child, he was tutored by the Empire's best teachers. When he grew older, Otto quickly outpaced his teachers in most scholarly subjects. Otto, while not a master swordsman, became quite useful with a rapier, but never the longsword. As his schooling came to an end, Otto was able to help pick up most of the tasks of local ruling (taxation, legislation, etc.) from his aging father, who only really was a figurehead that made the bargains at that point. As his father's health began to decline, Otto quickly learned the sorry state that the family was in, and decided to set out to other towns and cities to fix it, leaving his sister in charge of the city. Otto returned to the city quickly, having learned that the city is in a dire state, and is attempting to help the town brace for the coming storm of unrest...

Accepted.

Mirum
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirum » Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 pm

Alozia wrote:Accepted.

Well, thanks. I look forward to the RP. Just as a note, though, the 'At Least Ten Others' will be revealed in the IC.
Last edited by Mirum on Fri May 14, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppets:

Herador
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Herador » Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 pm

One more question: what is technology like in setting? Like, is plate common or is mail and gambeson the best armor around? Are crossbows around? Have Poleaxes come into use? That sort of thing.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse