NATION

PASSWORD

The Vanished Wilderness [IC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

The Vanished Wilderness [IC | Open]

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm

The Vanished Wilderness

OOC Thread
Reference Page

Far across the Northern Sea, beyond the Isle of Light and off in the darkness lies a land. For ages and ages it has lain undisturbed, unsettled, hearing neither song nor voice nor tramp of boot ever since the long times of creation. But now man walks upon it, explorers eager to find new vistas, settlers searching for something they couldn't find in the Old World. Opportunity beckons in the untrammeled acres, the savage vistas, the waters untasted and wind unbreathed in all the many lives of men. Many types of folk have come to this new land, and you are one of them, come to write your history upon these blank lands.

It was early morning when the Wind's Pride arrived at the ramshackle dock of Farholme, her passengers roused from slumber in what rude cabins they had obtained by the bellows of the first mate. A low fog hung over Lake Nemis as the ship arrived, lines cast out into the dim gloom by experienced sailors being caught by shadowy figures to make fast the light caravel at her anchorage. As weathered men hauled the sails closed, and the few rowers put up their oars, there was a general air of relief to the tired figures; the journey from the Old World had been a rough one, through wind and storm, but they were here.

Of course, here didn't look like much. Not yet. In the mist a half dozen buildings squatted on the northern shore of the vast Lake, a rough-hewn palisade blocking access from land, the largest building obviously some sort of fortified barracks or outpost, and a large open pit mine barely visible through the gloom. A few men in battered leather and metal armor, cuirasses bearing the livery of the Company, stood near the shore watching the docking procedure as others bent by labor hauled the ropes fast to the pier.

"Alright layabouts, to shore with ye. The Guild do ne' cover passage farther than Farholme, and here we do be." The wizened captain spoke not harshly, but obviously with a fair degree of seriousness; Aberforth was a hard man, but the crossing would likely have failed if not for his steady hand on the keel, and now he was happy of a fair harbor and land beneath his feet.

Down the gangplank trooped the sailors, and the colonists, mostly ignored by the guards and workers, save for one man wearing a grubby apron. His chubby face beamed with delight, and beneath a shaggy brown beard his smile was wide. He waved a hand merrily, apparently chipper despite the hour, and spoke loud for all to hear.

"Welcome newcomers! I am Ultar, representative of the New World Company here in Farholme. If you are looking for work, work I can find you, and goods are for sale for those who need them. My prices are most reasonable, please, come browse my shop."

All PCs, and three NPC Colonists make landfall in Farholme. A few miners, Company employees or otherwise, and the occasional miscellaneous figure can be spotted throughout the ramshackle town - beyond that, most have already set out into the Wilds, as you soon might.

Farholme:

Jobs Available:
Ultar will pay 2 Copper Nobles for each piece of Timber floated to the Farholme docks.
Ultar is hiring Miners to work in Farholme; pay is 1 Copper Noble and 4 Copper Knaves for twelve hours of labor every day, and includes housing in the stockade but not food.

The Explorer's Guild has paid for a week's lodging and food for all new colonists in the stockade's blockhouses; if this offer is refused, Ultar will provide those striking out on their own with a Bushel of Wild Fruit instead.
Four places in a Stockade are available to rent for 2 Copper Knaves a day.
The Smelter is available to rent for 5 Copper Knaves a day, the Lumbermill is available to rent for 8 Copper Knaves a day.
There are no NPC colonists available for hire at the moment. Four laborers work in the mines, and there are four guards of Farholme, the Wardens.

Ultar's Shop is currently stocked!
Goods for sale:
3 Baskets of Wild Fruit: 5 Copper Knaves each
24 Planks: 3 Copper Knaves each
3 Lengths of Heartwood: 7 Copper Knaves each
10 Freshwater Fish: 3 Copper Knaves each
2 Slabs of Salt: 1 Copper Noble 5 Copper Knaves each
1-2 Baskets: 3 Copper Knaves each
0 Loaves of Bread: 1 Copper Knave each
2 Copper Spears: 1 Silver Knave 2 Copper Nobles each
0 Copper Axes: 3 Copper Nobles
2 Copper Hammers: 2 Copper Nobles
2 Copper Pickaxes: 4 Copper Nobles
0 Copper Scythes: 3 Copper Nobles 4 Copper Knaves
3 Copper Hoes: 4 Copper Nobles
2 Shears: 5 Copper Nobles 6 Copper Knaves
1 Anvil: 5 Silver Knaves 7 Copper Nobles

Items which are bid on simultaneously without enough supply to fill both orders will be auctioned- other goods may be ordered from Ultar, who will set them aside if they come in the next shipment of supplies, but may take several weeks to arrive. Or longer.

Note that the average workday includes 16 hours of labor and 8 of sleep- this can be defied, but may have long term negative consequences.
Last edited by The GAmeTopians on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Gregor

His beard itched, and the man scratched at it. His brow was furrowed as he stomped down the gangplank, only too happy to get away from the scent of tar and sealant that had pervaded the vessel. The great bearded ex-soldier was a man of the land, not the sea, and it was only too welcome to have solid earth beneath his boots once more. Pulling his cloak tight against the morning chill, Gregor wrinkled his nose then approached the company tradesman who stood near the dock.

“Uttar? Interesting name. From down Durocher way eh?” Obviously the broad man had misheard the company seller, mistaking his sobriquet for one of Russkander origin. “I’m in the market for a sturdy axe, like that one next to your shop, if you sharpen it. Name’s Gregor. I have coin.”
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Ultar

The wide man revealed a toothy grin as his first new customer, hopefully one of many yet to come, approached. A habitual glance over towards the hastily constructed shop showed that, indeed, a well-worn axe of partially rusted copper leaned against its timber frame, idle.

"Of course, of course, my friend! This way, this way."

The Company man, confident that his jovial shouts (and all-but monopoly on local sales) would attract enough attention as it was, brought the bearded man over to his squeaky shop door. Maneuvering behind the counter with a surprising swiftness, Ultar produced a gleaming copper axe from his various shelves behind. It appeared new indeed, procured fresh from the mainland, though a few moments at a grindstone might do it some good. His gaze returned to Gregor, a telltale glint in his eyes.

"Just three copper nobles will get you one of these beauties, new as could be! I can toss in a complimentary sharpening, of course."

Kaye Skylar Oliver

Behind the two men, the muscled frame of a blonde woman slid through the door. Kaye still stretched and cracked her back even several moments after stepping off of the ship - its cramped quarters were hardly her preferred mode of transit, not least of which being thanks to her large stature. A mottled cloak drew tight across her broad form, and sea blue eyes stared down the other occupants of the small shop.

"Pickaxe for me, Ultar. I, as well, have the coin for it." Her eyes flicked over to the bearded man, but settled on the shopkeep.

Dawn - Purchasing a Copper Pickaxe at Ultar's Shop

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Emma

Emma stretched her legs early in the damp, humid morning. Her whole body ached still from the cramped conditions of the ship over. She could hardly stretch her legs before feeling the next wave of nausea rock her into a new sickness. Either way she could thank God to be upon solid land. Collecting what few things she had, and counting her coins to ensure none had stolen off with it, Emma left for the market near the dock. She saw to her surprise to see two large men and a blonde woman already at it.

"Excuse me?" She asked, her proper voice rather contrasting the two grizzled men. "Is the shop open now? I am in need of some baskets, and a spare rope if you wouldn't mind to help carry the lot. Additionally, I'm told you're giving out wild fruit to those who don't wish to stay here in town? I intend to leave by noon today, so I'll be taking your offer."

Dawn - Purchasing baskets from Ultar's shop
Last edited by Saxony-Brandenburg on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Pierre Broussard

As the ship pulled into port, Pierre grinned. It was quite the sight. A whole new world. Full of potential, full of unknowns, full of destiny. Just the way he had dreamed. Stretching his legs, he strode down the gangplank, a slight limp in his step as he did so. Couldn't leave everything behind - some memories and experiences would always have their marks on his soul. But for the most part? This was as much of a fresh start as a man could dream of.

A small crowd had formed around a stout chubby man at a storefront. Ah, of course. Pierre strode to the front, pushing through the small crowd. Two large men, one with a thick beard, and two taller women. Ah, height wasn't everything. Though his stature was unimpressive, his time in the army had left him with a body of sturdy muscle. More than enough to make his way through this foreign place.

"Excuse me, fella. A chap's lookin' to buy that scythe. Right now, actually." he said, gesturing impatiently at the sharp implement and slamming the 3 Copper Nobles and 4 Knaves down. Looked like there was only one in stock left, and he wasn't about to let that slip away from him.

Dawn - Purchasing Scythe from Ultar.
Last edited by Lazarian on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 pm

Ruth Sherrington
The Dowager Countess
ft. Greta the Goat

Ruth stepped off the plank, nearly losing her balance from a combination of newly acquired sea legs and her dear Greta lovingly nuzzling at her skirts. Far from the silk dresses and ghoulish wigs she had worn before, this was a simple dark green wool dress, sturdily made for life as a working woman. Paired with a brown cloak, sensible shoes, and a head wrap keeping her dark brown hair back from her face, she was ready to face her new life of adventure and freedom!

The early dawn light filtered from the heavens, pale and cold, the sun not yet visible in the sky. The sticky moisture of night not yet dispelled, the air smelled of magic. Birds sang of possibilities in the trees and the waves lapped on the shore in a steady rhythm, urging her on. Go, go, go! they told her, and she would listen. It was that magical hour indeed, an auspicious time to begin -

Oh, how bothersome.

The fat man interrupted her internal monologue with his chatter. Ah, so he was the store clerk. Lovely. Oh, and he had goods for sale! She did love a good bargain, especially with . . . oh bother, how much had she come with again? Yes, the nobles. Copper, were they? Hm. She wondered how far they would go. She hadn't dealt with anything less than silver in years.

Following the growing gaggle of shoppers that had amassed around the far shopkeeper (oh dear, what was his name?), she made her way into the store (leaving Greta outside to butt her head against the wall of the building, a favourite pastime) and waited her turn patiently. How nice to wait, not given preferential treatment! In the Capitol there were often occasions where she was forced to wait for higher nobility, but more often than not she was always doted on and and foot by shopkeepers and merchants as a Countess, and a wealthy one at that. Here, though, she could be just like everyone else! Hearing of his prices though, the zeal of her entirely self-driven economic downgrade did lose a bit of its shine. Tools were how much? Oh dear. She had read the company pamphlet on many things in coming to this new world, but the money - ah, she would be fine. This was an adventure!

It's an adventure.

She'll be fine.

Finally getting the chance to speak to the fat man - Ultar, as it turned out - she queried about where she might go to find indigo and where she might find her free lodging for the week. She had heard about the indigo, of course, having used it quite a bit herself, and found the stuff utterly fascinating. And here she would have the chance to see it here, for herself, in the wild! She could harvest it with her own two hands! She would have to prepare first, of course. She was not so naïve as to think she could just go traipsing into the wilderness without the proper preparations. The world could be dangerous. No, no, her worries would not cloud this day. She was going to stay as positive as possible for as long as possible.

She was going to live life on her terms, even if it killed her.

. . .

Hopefully it wouldn't kill her.

5 Copper Nobles
1 Goat
1 Dream

Dawn: Visiting the Store
Last edited by Auphelia on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:05 am

Gregor

It took a few breaths of haggling to convince Ultar - Ultar, not Uttar - to part with his axe, and throw in time on the sharpening stone as a sweetener, but given nobody else appeared to be interested in the art of converting timber into civilization, eventually Gregor had his prize. He took the better part of a quarter hour to oil it, sharpen it, and strop it to the thick edge he would require. Not too thin. That was a mistake neophytes always made with their tools, refining them to a sharpness fit to slice feathers or silk, and then they snapped the tip on the first stroke. Especially with a diffident metal like copper, you wanted a wide wedge of a blade, fit to drum against unyielding timber for hours at a time. Copper would dull in the weeks of service he intended to press the axe to, but a warm fire and clever knocks would set it right.

Once the axe had the sharpness he wanted, he wandered over to the company stockade to draw his mess. It wasn't much - a tin filled with diffident gruel, and a length of what the cook insisted was nutritious sausage. Dead man's piss and the cock he pissed through, as they would have said in the Outriders. The old joke made Gregor shake his head and smile. Food was food, and there had been many cold nights when that bit of burnt meat did good service for far better feasts. It would keep you alive, especially if supplemented with some forage, and that was all it was meant to do.

The aging man cast a weather eye over the other malcontents that had tumbled off of the Wind's Pride. Some were young and dainty, and would probably be taking ship for home within the month, if they weren't corpses in some forgotten place. Others though, they might have the mettle to stand the work. Whistling a jaunty Moorish air with surprisingly nimble lips, he stamped out of the stockade headed east, for a quick reconnoitre of the local timber. Much of the land was denuded within eyesight of the compound, which shocked him not a wit, but this was fertile country. Soon tall trees began to block the horizon, and he searched for a fine specimen to be his first prize.

Not too far from the water, that wouldn't do. But with such prime timber untouched, you could never tell what you might find.

Dawn+00:15 Action: Assessing timber stocks east of Farholme for likely Heartwood-bearing specimens

2 Copper Nobles
Humble Clothes
Newly-Sharpened Copper Axe

Sleep: One Hour since Awakening
Knowledgeable Woodcutter, Energetic, Inventor
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:15 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:Dawn - Purchasing a Copper Pickaxe at Ultar's Shop[/spoiler]

The big man seemed slightly intimidated by the towering woman at first look, though he quickly recovered.

"Ah, of course young lass! Never thought I'd see a lady of Skeld out in these parts, eh? ...That'll be four nobles."

Not even bothering to haggle, Kaye slapped the four copper discs onto the counter, quietly hefting the presented tool over her shoulder with practiced ease. There were riches to be won out there, and none would stop her from taking them. Nobody. As she turned, she grabbed a waiting basket of wild fruit from the small stack that resided there, as if tacitly turning down the Company's hospitality - then, with little more than a raised hand as a farewell, she departed.

The dame of the North could be seen munching on a handful of wild fruit as she departed the town, westward hills awaiting her. Fame, and fortune, waited in mountains for those brave enough to take them.

Dawn+00:10 Action: Journeying to the Aherrad Plains (Prospecting Passively)
1 Copper Noble
Humble Clothes
New Copper Pickaxe

Sleep: Recently Awoken
Experienced Miner, Prospector, Martial Prowess

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:Purchasing baskets from Ultar's shop

"Indeed, indeed, young lady! Baskets, I can do. Rope..."

Ultar ducked under the counter briefly, and peered over the shoulders of those left in the shop to see if he had any lying about, but shook his head.

"'Fraid not, lass. Company stocks me with little enough as is, and the sailors that come through usually clear me out for their return trip - wager you could fashion something up right quick if you had a mind to, though. Baskets'll be three knaves a piece, though your bushel of fruit comes with one free of charge, if you're not interested in staying in town that is."

Lazarian wrote:Purchasing Scythe from Ultar.

As the lady with the pickaxe brushed by Pierre in her west-bound stride, Ultar swiped his cash as quickly as it appeared and gestured vaguely to the scythe.

"All yours, my friend! Few folks bother with farming out in these parts, but, well... who am I to stop you?"

And with that, Ultar left the terse man alone - he had more customers, after all.

Auphelia wrote:A Goat and a Dream

"Indigo... well that's the question, isn't it? Those namby-pamby scholar folks say it only grows around the Eras River, all the way down to the delta, but who really knows? We all know it's out there, the trick is finding it - and maybe someday someone will manage to farm it."

He shrugged, as if it wasn't really his business.

"As for lodgings in town, just shack up in the Explorers' Guild stockade. They're providing a week of food and lodgings for those who stay in town."

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Assessing timber stocks east of Farholme for likely Heartwood-bearing specimens

Sunlight cast down through the lightly-wooded area, not yet having grown thick with all the density of the Endless Woods. Not dangerous, quite yet - at least, Gregor hoped so.

Nearly three-quarters of an hour had passed when Gregor struck gold, metaphorically of course. The fiery tinge of heartwood's bleed peeked out ever so slightly from the latest target of his investigations... a sign that the heartwood within this particular tree was suitable indeed. Perhaps a good use could come of it - or a good buyer.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 am

“Farming.” Pierre laughed, snatching the scythe with vigor. “Ahh, you’ve had me mistaken, monsieur. Ah intend to put this to work in fishing. But thanks, merchant. Ah’ll be seein’ you around.”

With that perplexing statement, he left, clutching his tool in hand. It looked like most of the settlers were men and women akin to him, although one woman caught his eye. Her hands were dainty and her skin was fair. She was garbed like the rest, but something didn’t sit quite right. What was a pretty little thing like her doing out in these parts?

Pierre was always observant of the people and things around him. Useful skill to have in the Privateers, before - Anyways. He leaned on the scythe idly, listening in on her conversation.

“Planning on headin’ down river?” he butted in rudely, striding over to Ruth with his slight limp of a gait. “ Ah’m interested in headin’ that way m’self. If you’ll help me make a canoe, I’ll provide you with food when we’re down there. If that’s somethin’ that catches your fancy.” he finished in his thick drawl, crossing his arms.
Last edited by Lazarian on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:15 am

Gregor

The southern man whistled low and loud when he spotted the telltale signs of deepest crimson peaking out from between slats of bark. Untouched, and pristine - he hadn't honestly expected to find heartwood this close to civilization, merely perusing the forests out of a surfeit of time and to allow his body time to digest before he put his hands to his work. He must treat his own corpus like a finely oiled mechanism, here where redundancies would be perishable difficult to come by.

But he wasn't going to decry his good fortune just because it was improbable. Not in the least. After a few stretches to limber up his hands and limbs, and a weather inspection of the lean of the forest giant, Gregor set to with his axe. In his head a marching tattoo gamboled across the landscape, though in truth the only sound of his labor was the dull thump of the blade against the flesh of the tree, and the creaking of the timber beneath his assault.

The sun rose, burning away the morning mists as he worked. He took slight break around noonday to trudge back to the tiny village and refresh himself with victuals and fresh water, before resuming his work. It was near sundown, and his limbs were growing weary, when at last the immense giant tumbled to earth. A tired grin crossed his face once the giant was limbed, and with heavy strokes he rolled it to the shore, before laboriously paddling it to the docks.

He emerged from the docks nearly naked, having doffed most of his clothes to haphazardly row the tree trunk downstream the hundred spans to Farholme, but donned the rest of his raiment from where he had balanced it atop the tree to seek out Ultar. The shopkeep was at evening meal with the soldiers, but bustled down to the docks to inspect the specimen in due course.

"One length of timber, floated to the docks, good master - and a surprise to be sure in addition. She bears a length of heartwood in her core, which I would happily extract for you at the mill, if such be your pleasure, for a nominal fee. Perhaps two nobles and two coppers, for my hand on the mill tomorrow to rive it from the timber, and turn the rest to cut lengths?"

05:00-17:00 Action: Felling Heartwood tree
17:00-18:00 Action: Limbing tree (+Branches)
Action: Sell Heartwood Timber to Ultar [Haggle over price to mill timber and extract heartwood]

2 Copper Nobles
Humble Clothes
Freshly-Sharpened Copper Axe
1 Branches

Sleep: Fourteen Hours since Awakening

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 am

Serena Altevia

From the moment the ship embarked and then docked on the port of Farholme, Serena had set her sight upon the New World's experience. Perhaps she could find a useful thing to do, a place to stay, and maybe a job as well. There are others, who, like her, have their own set of goals in Farholme. For now, she'll get stock of food and tools. The company provided a week's worth of food and lodging, but she should be prepared for future expeditions of hers.

Ultar, representative of the company, is here to make a sell and to give a buy. All for the price of reasonable bargain. For her, an even more reasonable bargain. There are quite few things worth looking into here, of course. "Good day," as she approached Ultar and said the words. "I'd like to acquire an axe, a basket, and 18 loaves of bread, please." She intend to immediately head out to Three Rivers, there lies abundant fowls and game hunts. Maybe she can bring something back to sell, and then, perhaps a place to stay back here.

Dawn - Purchasing a Copper Axe, a Basket, and 18 Loaves of Bread.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am

Ruth Sherrington
The Dowager Countess
ft. Greta the Goat

The GAmeTopians wrote:"Indigo... well that's the question, isn't it? Those namby-pamby scholar folks say it only grows around the Eras River, all the way down to the delta, but who really knows? We all know it's out there, the trick is finding it - and maybe someday someone will manage to farm it."

He shrugged, as if it wasn't really his business.

"As for lodgings in town, just shack up in the Explorers' Guild stockade. They're providing a week of food and lodgings for those who stay in town."

All the way down the delta? She remembered the ship ride up the coast, a matter of hours. Still, walking that way would take a considerable amount of time. Ah, but the scenery looked so fresh, so . . . so real! This was the wild land where anything could happen! A little bit of walking never scared her, especially not in these shoes. Shoes with the strangest elevated heels had become all the rage in high society in her time as a wife and dear gods, she could still feel the pinching and the aching. These leather things may not have been fashionable, but they would see her through a few days (weeks? Perhaps she wasn't as skilled at guessing distances as she thought) of walking down the river. At least she wouldn't get lost!

Oh good, and the lodging offer was apparently to just pick a place in the stockade. What a marvellous name! Stockade. So hearty, so sturdy! Like a fortress all her own, to prepare herself for the life ahead.

"Thank you, my dear. Your information has been quite illuminating. I suppose I shall - "

Lazarian wrote:With that perplexing statement, he left, clutching his tool in hand. It looked like most of the settlers were men and women akin to him, although one woman caught his eye. Her hands were dainty and her skin was fair. She was garbed like the rest, but something didn’t sit quite right. What was a pretty little thing like her doing out in these parts?

Pierre was always observant of the people and things around him. Useful skill to have in the Privateers, before - Anyways. He leaned on the scythe idly, listening in on her conversation.

“Planning on headin’ down river?” he butted in rudely, striding over to Ruth with his slight limp of a gait. “ Ah’m interested in headin’ that way m’self. If you’ll help me make a canoe, I’ll provide you with food when we’re down there. If that’s somethin’ that catches your fancy.” he finished in his thick drawl, crossing his arms.

Insolence!

The first thought to cross her mind was exactly that, but no, it was habit. This was not insolence, it was adventure. A man, just talking to her. Imagine it! No introductions or turns of phrase to preserve propriety at all. The Capital was the place to be scandalised by such things, but this was not the Empire. This was a new world, and in it she could talk to any man she pleased.

Goodness, when was the last time she had spoken to a man, or been so close to one without a previously established form of introduction? She stared up at the man, her eyes just a bit wide. Deciding to embrace adventure didn't mean she wasn't still a bit flustered.

"Oh. Er, hello there," she said. For so long her speech had been couched in the comfortable rhythms and hierarchies of the Empire, long enough that trying to speak with such informality took a fair bit of adjustment. "Yes, I suppose I would be - oh no - I'd be heading down that way as well. And a canoe. What interesting travel, or rather, that sounds like a way to get down there, yes. But how would you make one? Oh dear, timber would be needed, of course, but then to carve it out would be such difficult work, and with what tools . . . I don't suppose a raft would be easier. The Free Society of Engineers has a most marvellous pamphlet on the matter, yes, yes."

Years of being the lady of a noble estate were taking over for her nervousness, the meticulous planning and plotting of managerial tasks second nature to her now. Fields did not sow themselves, wages not dispersing of their own volition nor taxes collected from wishing. And goodness knows she had worn through enough of the pamphlets at home, estimates of materials and the time needed to create any manner of objects in the new world. She had perused them for hours on end in the weeks leading up to her departure, so eager to begin her new life that no other activity could compare to fantasies of the future. Now she was practically tripping over the speed and excitement of her thoughts, set towards a problem that would set her on the path to adventure!

"Of course, a raft would require wood, an axe being necessary. I've heard reports that anywhere from five to eight lengths of timber should suffice, entire trees. We might be able to hire someone to help us who possesses such a thing. Oh yes, and rope! Lengths of fibre, very good stuff, would of course be necessary, but I have heard that long grass is simple enough in its conversion to the task. If we were to head down the river, a few days would most certainly be required to prepare, most certainly, most certainly. And food! What a marvellous offer! You'd be going down river and seem confident in your ability to make food, yes? A fisherman, perhaps? Oh, what a fascinating trade if so. A man on the water, bringing forth sustenance of the life teeming below the surface. But I don't suppose you'd be needing a net. Yes, nets are most valuable for someone of your profession. You are a fisherman, are you not? Easily enough made, with time and fibre enough. I do think I'll take your offer, yes, a most delightful activity! Oh, the adventure of the new world, isn't it most marvellous?"

She paused for a moment to take a breath, instantly feeling a bit of regret at what she had done. Agreeing to go into the wilderness with a strange man? Though if she thought about it, all of these men were strange. This man could be no different. She would be fine. It was an adventure. With this man. He seemed . . . nice. And also nameless. That would have to be rectified.

"Oh yes, and my name is Coun - no, Ruth. Lovely to meet you. And your name is?"

Dawn: Visit Ultar's shop, speak to a mysterious and thickly accented stranger

5 Copper Nobles
1 Goat
1 Dream
1 Bad Idea

Status: Fresh and ready for adventure/planning for adventure!
Skills: Agrarian, Botanist, Pastoralist
Last edited by Auphelia on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

SC #307

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

The Knights of Azorea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Knights of Azorea » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:09 am

Mercer Blackett, The Marshlander

Mercer disembarked with the same grin he'd borne most of the journey. The sea air wrapped itself around him like a cloak, and he had sat out on deck for most of the journey picking his nails clean and chewing birch-bark. Farholme was a squat little town, but by the standards of the marshes it was luxurious - no stagnant water for one thing. The industrious and the eagerly employed dashed on for a bit of work - scrambling for the best equipment to be had from the little stockade shop. Mercer took his moment first, spitting the last of the birch bark out and testing his boots on the soil of a new continent. He rolled his shoulders, green eyes weaselish and twitching.

"S' a sirrin' land I should say! And fine folk in sear' of silver. A fine home."

He drew into the shop and cast a fence's eye over the wares within. Timber and tools, baskets and bread. And ah - a fine scythe. No nets, and only bait by fisherman's standards. Still, it would do well enough. There seemed much chatter in the air of departing for the watersides. Seemed as if the scythe had been snapped up - another had had his same idea of making up a net, it seemed. His grin brightened and split into a salt-worn laugh. Aye, well, plenty of sea for two in the world - perhaps a sign from the waters to look elsewhere.

Maybe he'd head inland - or see what the rivers had to offer. He needed a good multi-purpose tool, if he wasn't for fishing, and an axe would do well enough. Simple money in timber-work, and he'd been on enough procuring jobs to have the knack of it.

"Ey there fine merchant-man, I'll have a go of one axe if you don't mind the loss o' it - and I'll have a go sharpening it too, since the bearded lander there's got the whetstone out."

He set down the coin, pick up his bushel of fruit, and set to work sharpening. With a nod to the lady of higher class amongst, them, and to his fellow fisherman, he'd raise his drawling voice again. They seemed headed his way, and it'd certainly not hurt to find company, especially if it were posh.

"Fine morning ma'am and a grand day, mate - I see yer about fer fishing, and headed for the coast. I've a mind to head that way myself - don't suppose you'd have use of another hand? You'll be in need o' timber if you've a mind for boating."

2 Copper Nobles, 1 Copper Axe, 1 Bushel of Fruit, 1 Enterprising Rogue

Fresh, fed and healthy. Skills: Fishmonger, Explorer, Builder
Last edited by The Knights of Azorea on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:37 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Serena Altevia - Purchasing a Copper Axe, a Basket, and 18 Loaves of Bread.

The Knights of Azorea wrote:Mercer Blackett, The Marshlander - Purchasing a Copper Axe

Ultar gave a parting nod to the countess, before turning to this strange new pair - a merchant girl and a young sailor, both after the lone remaining axe. A slight smirk came and went from his face, quick as a flash - he rubbed his hands together.

"Well! Looks like we have an auction here. Starting price is 3 copper nobles, with favor going to the young lady over here who arrived slightly earlier. Any better offers?"

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am

Auphelia wrote:"Oh. Er, hello there," she said. For so long her speech had been couched in the comfortable rhythms and hierarchies of the Empire, long enough that trying to speak with such informality took a fair bit of adjustment. "Yes, I suppose I would be - oh no - I'd be heading down that way as well. And a canoe. What interesting travel, or rather, that sounds like a way to get down there, yes. But how would you make one? Oh dear, timber would be needed, of course, but then to carve it out would be such difficult work, and with what tools . . . I don't suppose a raft would be easier. The Free Society of Engineers has a most marvellous pamphlet on the matter, yes, yes."

Pierre grinned slightly, showing a row of jagged teeth. This delicate flower, hidden in plain clothes, really didn’t belong here. The Free Society of Engineers? So she was educated. A pamphlet? She could read? Might be handy to have someone who could read, because he sure couldn’t. He was well educated through the experiences of the world, but tragically ill-equipped as far as real academic knowledge went. The lady was clearly nervous about her new life, the way she stumbled through a river of words and thoughts. So much bubbling excitement. A city dweller, presumably. Any bayou lad or lass would know how to build a raft, rather than reading some pamphlet. He nodded along as she spoke, listening intently.

"Of course, a raft would require wood, an axe being necessary. I've heard reports that anywhere from five to eight lengths of timber should suffice, entire trees. We might be able to hire someone to help us who possesses such a thing. Oh yes, and rope! Lengths of fibre, very good stuff, would of course be necessary, but I have heard that long grass is simple enough in its conversion to the task. If we were to head down the river, a few days would most certainly be required to prepare, most certainly, most certainly. And food! What a marvellous offer! You'd be going down river and seem confident in your ability to make food, yes? A fisherman, perhaps? Oh, what a fascinating trade if so. A man on the water, bringing forth sustenance of the life teeming below the surface. But I don't suppose you'd be needing a net. Yes, nets are most valuable for someone of your profession. You are a fisherman, are you not? Easily enough made, with time and fibre enough. I do think I'll take your offer, yes, a most delightful activity! Oh, the adventure of the new world, isn't it most marvellous?"

She paused for a moment, and Pierre sensed a bit of concern. Understandably so. She was simultaneously over prepared and completely unprepared, and letting her excitement override her level headed judgement. A good way to get in a bad situation. But he’d be able to convince her she had nothin’ to worry about.

"Oh yes, and my name is Coun - no, Ruth. Lovely to meet you. And your name is?"

“Pierre.” he said firmly, clasping her dainty hand tightly and shaking it. “It sure is mahvellous indeed. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Good thoughts on the raft, miss Ruth. Ah agree completely. And ah’d be happy to help you make one, but ah reckon we’ll need an axe for that. And ah’m a little short on coin at the moment. Would you mind goin’ and purchasing that last one?”

He paused.

“You’re a smart lass. Shopkeeper’s daughter?” he guessed, scratching his head. “Your guess was correct. Ah am indeed a fisherman by trade. That’s what ah was back home.”

”Murderer. Coward. Deserter. You’re no more a fisherman than you were a soldier.” his subconscious growled, whispering faintly in the back of his mind. Pierre pushed it aside, squinting at the intrusive thoughts before pushing ahead.

“Anyways, ah just need a woodcutter to work with me while I make my nets. Ah’ve got the scythe to harvest the grass and make the nets faster than anyone around, so we’ll have no worries about food once we head down river. You don’t exactly look like a lumberjack, miss. Mind gettin’ that axe and finding a chopper to use it for me?”

The Knights of Azorea wrote:He set down the coin, pick up his bushel of fruit, and set to work sharpening. With a nod to the lady of higher class amongst, them, and to his fellow fisherman, he'd raise his drawling voice again. They seemed headed his way, and it'd certainly not hurt to find company, especially if it were posh.

"Fine morning ma'am and a grand day, mate - I see yer about fer fishing, and headed for the coast. I've a mind to head that way myself - don't suppose you'd have use of another hand? You'll be in need o' timber if you've a mind for boating."

Pierre grinned once again. Lady Luck, blowing him another kiss. Such a tease, and an impetuous and fickle mistress to rely on, but lovely when she came through with her gifts.

“Yessir! More hands are always welcome. And we do have quite a need for timber.” he said enthusiastically. “If you can procure that log while ah make my nets, we can be off quite soon!”
Last edited by Lazarian on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Palmyrion
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Palmyrion » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 am

Day 1
Johann Schmidt
Farholme, The Wild Lands
The Power of One

Son, when I die, remember what I told you about life: it shall go on.

Rang the dying words of his mother as he watched the ship approach the Port of Farholme, drifting across the wind blowing on Lake Nemis. It had been two years since the 19-year-old lost his entire family; his parents died of old age, his elder sister Agatha dying giving birth to her second child, and his elder brother Hans being killed in action as a soldier of the Imperial military. The fact that he survived long enough to even consider moving to The Wild Lands - of course with the help of the Imperial Faith as he redeemed his mind, heart, and soul - was a blessing for him. No sooner did the ship weigh anchor at a pier, with the captain proclaiming for them to set foot on the Port of Farholme.

"Alright layabouts, to shore with ye. The Guild do ne' cover passage farther than Farholme, and here we do be."

Johann stepped on the gangplank, disembarking from the ship along with the many other colonists like him, followed by the sailors who made sure everyone had already disembarked and the ship cleared of any goods. All of a sudden an absolute unit of a man boomed in an absolute unit of a voice, introducing himself (if perhaps boisterously) as the representative of a company.

"Welcome newcomers! I am Ultar, representative of the New World Company here in Farholme." the man introduced himself "If you are looking for work, work I can find you, and goods are for sale for those who need them. My prices are most reasonable, please, come browse my shop." he added.

A job...not a bad way to start a new life in The Wild Lands, thought Johann as he approached Ultar. He had a rudimentary checklist of what he needed to build to start his own smithy, and the first thing on his list was a hammer.

"Greetings, Ultar. I would love a hammer for a blacksmith's son starting anew. Anyways, would you be interested in hiring a blacksmith?" Johann started, while noticing not far from him a muscular blonde woman, towering almost a foot taller than he was, bearing piercing azure eyes.

Dawn - Purchasing a hammer from Ultar and seeking a job as a blacksmith
Last edited by Palmyrion on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
__PALMYRION: INTO THE PALMYRO-VERSE__
Greater Dienstad (NSMT) | Kali Yuga (Hard MT) | Dark Lightshow (2100s PMT) | Niteo (AD 5000 FT) | Screwed Reality
Diplomatic Outreach Programme | The Dozen Giants | Storefront | Discord Server
A 15.83 civilization, according to this index.

NS stats have been [REDACTED] into a [DATA EXPUNGED].
Ostroeuropa refuses to answer this question: do women deserve equal rights in your opinion?

The Knights of Azorea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Knights of Azorea » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:04 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Serena Altevia - Purchasing a Copper Axe, a Basket, and 18 Loaves of Bread.

The Knights of Azorea wrote:Mercer Blackett, The Marshlander - Purchasing a Copper Axe

Ultar gave a parting nod to the countess, before turning to this strange new pair - a merchant girl and a young sailor, both after the lone remaining axe. A slight smirk came and went from his face, quick as a flash - he rubbed his hands together.

"Well! Looks like we have an auction here. Starting price is 3 copper nobles, with favor going to the young lady over here who arrived slightly earlier. Any better offers?"

Mercer let out another spot of laughter, turning his grin toward his erstwhile competitor. He stood, tapping his clean-filed nails on the counter.

"Hie there, then - if ye're a merchant, perhaps I can make ye a trade! Five knaves to you if I can buy the axe fer three nobles. If not, I'll bid three nobles and eight knaves. "

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Alfred "Ruddy" Rednbocker

The adventurer had nothing when he came. All was spent getting on the boat from his retirement but only five copper nobles. It felt good to be away from the Empire's mainland. The sea air made his old injury good for the first time in a long while and that had to be nothing but a good sign. The gods were merciful to this wanderlusted man as the boat finally stopped and everyone went about the ramshackle town. Alfred walked with them but his mind was caught in the sight of the large forest and the wilderness that called to him.

It took a while to rip himself from the shock of untamed wilds to go to the merchant for work. It was there he saw all of his crew with people going in and out or were haggering over a copper axe. He himself had walked up to the merchant since he needed work. He looked longliy at the copper spear but the amount offered was not enough for his soul. He sighed at the lack of silver which lined the pocket of the captain as it sailed across the sea.

"Hail Ultar," the former soldier trying to get the merchant's attention," I'm looking for working in the mines. Who do I need to talk to become a miner?"
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Palmyrion wrote:Johann Schmidt - Purchasing a hammer from Ultar and seeking a job as a blacksmith

Looking away briefly from the budding battle over the remaining copper axe, Ultar made eye contact with young Johann and hefted a hammer up from under the counter - the head gleamed the orange glow of fresh copper, and the haft a sturdy wood, though notably not heartwood.

"Two coppers for it, friend - and nay, I'm afraid not. No metals to be worked out here, with all the silver being loaded onto a ship home as soon as it's mined. I'm sure you could find some work as new deposits are found though - or you could join up in the silver mine, always work to be had here."

If he turned around, Johann might see the tall woman with the pickaxe eyeing him curiously - or, perhaps not him, but the hammer he was purchasing. Her piercing eyes seemed to be evaluating its quality, as if weighing it in her mind.

Ralnis wrote:Alfred "Ruddy" Rednbocker - "Hail Ultar," the former soldier trying to get the merchant's attention," I'm looking for working in the mines. Who do I need to talk to become a miner?"

"Ah!" Ultar grinned, "There should be a man waiting for you just outside my shop - he's the supervisor of the mines, he'll get you sorted. Pick's provided, so is housing at the stockades, and the explorer's guild has you covered for the first week of food in mess."

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Ruth Sherrington
The Dowager Countess
ft. Greta the Goat

Lazarian wrote:“Pierre.” he said firmly, clasping her dainty hand tightly and shaking it. “It sure is mahvellous indeed. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Good thoughts on the raft, miss Ruth. Ah agree completely. And ah’d be happy to help you make one, but ah reckon we’ll need an axe for that.”

“You’re a smart lass. Shopkeeper’s daughter?” he guessed, scratching his head. “Your guess was correct. Ah am indeed a fisherman by trade. That’s what ah was back home.”

Was he leering at her? She couldn't tell. His gaze and grin were certainly sharp, almost predatory, but she took that for a hard life creating hard edges and not an indication of character. Besides, this was a new world. Who was she to judge who someone had been when the world was wide open before them, to be re-forged by the vastness of the wilderness and all its gifts. Besides, his grip was firm, seeming honest enough.

"How fortuitous! I'm planning on finding indigo, you know, a very valuable plant. And what an adventure to travel, here with a fisherman, no less. I am a bit educated, yes, mostly out of excitement and preparation for our journey," she said, skirting the question of her birth. Noble birth would mean little in this world, or even make her a target for all sorts of rough sorts who hadn't appreciated the Empire's social order. She knew some of the ship's crew had known she was a countess, but she didn't think the information had made its way to the passengers.

Lazarian wrote:“Anyways, ah just need a woodcutter to work with me while I make my nets. Ah’ve got the scythe to harvest the grass and make the nets faster than anyone around, so we’ll have no worries about food once we head down river. You happen to get one of those axes?”

"Oh, yes, a woodcutter. And an axe, yes we'll have to -"

The Knights of Azorea wrote:With a nod to the lady of higher class amongst, them, and to his fellow fisherman, he'd raise his drawling voice again. They seemed headed his way, and it'd certainly not hurt to find company, especially if it were posh.

Goodness, was it common among the peasantry to interrupt conversations with such abandon? What a fascinating phenomenon.

"Well yes, we would - "

Lazarian wrote:“Yessir! More hands are always welcome. And we do have quite a need for timber.” he said enthusiastically. “If you can procure that log while ah make my nets, we can be off quite soon!”

Well now this was simply ridiculous. She was entirely used to conversations that followed set rules and patterns of engagement, not this brash speak of the common folk. They seemed to strike a sentence wherever they wished, the loudest and most confident voice winning. But still, this was an adventure. Rules were looser here, social norms meant to be dashed against the rocks!

"Quite right. Now -"

The GAmeTopians wrote:Ultar gave a parting nod to the countess, before turning to this strange new pair - a merchant girl and a young sailor, both after the lone remaining axe. A slight smirk came and went from his face, quick as a flash - he rubbed his hands together.

A bidding war! Oh stars, she remembered those. But to bid in units of copper, haggling in such low denominations felt like racing among cripples. She remembered furnishing her home in the Capital, spending golden nobles in bidding wars with Marchionesses and Duchesses for fine marbles and tapestries and sculptures to furnish the space - those had been the early days, before the ennui of life became too much.

And three coppers, oh dear, oh dear. She only had five, but that man seemed amenable to work together. She would stand by with Pierre and wait, watching to see how the bidding would turn out. In the worst scenario, she could pitch in funds of her own to give the man an edge.

Dawn: Visit Ultar's shop, speak to two mysterious and thickly accented strangers, witness a bidding war!

5 Copper Nobles
1 Goat
1 Dream
1 1/2 New Friends

Status: Fresh and ready for adventure/planning for adventure!
Skills: Agrarian, Botanist, Pastoralist
Last edited by Auphelia on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SC #307

Palmyrion
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Palmyrion » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:Looking away briefly from the budding battle over the remaining copper axe, Ultar made eye contact with young Johann and hefted a hammer up from under the counter - the head gleamed the orange glow of fresh copper, and the haft a sturdy wood, though notably not heartwood.

"Two coppers for it, friend - and nay, I'm afraid not. No metals to be worked out here, with all the silver being loaded onto a ship home as soon as it's mined. I'm sure you could find some work as new deposits are found though - or you could join up in the silver mine, always work to be had here."

If he turned around, Johann might see the tall woman with the pickaxe eyeing him curiously - or, perhaps not him, but the hammer he was purchasing. Her piercing eyes seemed to be evaluating its quality, as if weighing it in her mind.

"Two Copper Nobles it is then." Johann replied, handing the two copper nobles he reached out from his coin purse to Ultar in exchange for the hammer. Johann weighed the hammer Ultar gave to him on his hand - it was, for most intents and purposes, heavier than a comparable hammer of iron (copper being more dense than either pure iron or steel). It wasn't a heft that was alien to him either, having worked with one for a good fraction of his life - but seeing something this freshly gleaming, with no signs of corrosion or wear and tear, was alien to him.

After an exchange of pleasantries and thanks, he turned around into proceeding to go his way and maybe head for the silver mines not far east of Farholme when he noticed a tall woman, almost a foot taller than he was, looking at his direction. Either she was looking at him, or the hammer he just purchased from Ultar. For Johann, who felt his heart skip a beat, this was an opportunity to know the other colonists. He also overheard Ultar talking to another man, who looked to be ex-military given scars and his burly build, telling him of the mine supervisor who could get the man a job in the mines.

Johann at this point could either approach the tall lady who was looking at his direction and gain a new acquaintance, or talk to the mine supervisor to get a job - but what was a blacksmith like him to do in the silver mines other than crush some ore with a hammer? As far as Johann knew from the ins and outs of the metalworking industry his father told him, feeding crushed hematite ore into a smelter produced more metal that feeding rough hematite ore, but he was skeptical of whether or not it also applied to silver ore.

Johann immediately approached the tall lady looking at his direction, and introduced himself alongside perhaps the lamest pick-up line he could think of. "I should have noticed you looking at me from there. Anyways, the name's Johann. Johann Schmidt."
Greater Dienstad (NSMT) | Kali Yuga (Hard MT) | Dark Lightshow (2100s PMT) | Niteo (AD 5000 FT) | Screwed Reality

Ostroeuropa refuses to answer this question: do women deserve equal rights in your opinion?

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:54 pm

Palmyrion wrote:"I should have noticed you looking at me from there. Anyways, the name's Johann. Johann Schmidt."

Kaye smirked slightly, not meanly but more out of amusement.

"Call me Kaye," she replied, extending a hand to him, "though I was more interested in your hammer. The damn scammer that runs the shop had me priced out on picking up both tools, but I'll need one once I set up shop out west."

She hefted the pickaxe off of her shoulder, using the base of the haft to draw in the dirt below them.

"Here's us... and here's the Aherrad Plains. Iron caves, no major predators, decent amount of trees. All I need to do is track down a good iron source and I've got all I need for a smelter, a smithy, and an anvil, all in one. Straight to making the finest weapons that can be bought this side of the North Sea."

Palmyrion
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Palmyrion » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:03 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Palmyrion wrote:"I should have noticed you looking at me from there. Anyways, the name's Johann. Johann Schmidt."

Kaye smirked slightly, not meanly but more out of amusement.

"Call me Kaye," she replied, extending a hand to him, "though I was more interested in your hammer. The damn scammer that runs the shop had me priced out on picking up both tools, but I'll need one once I set up shop out west."

She hefted the pickaxe off of her shoulder, using the base of the haft to draw in the dirt below them.

"Here's us... and here's the Aherrad Plains. Iron caves, no major predators, decent amount of trees. All I need to do is track down a good iron source and I've got all I need for a smelter, a smithy, and an anvil, all in one. Straight to making the finest weapons that can be bought this side of the North Sea."

Johann let out a light laugh, grabbing her hand for a handshake.

"Nice to meet you Kaye." he said, as Kaye hefted the pickaxe from her shoulder and started to draw on the dirt.

"Here's us... and here's the Aherrad Plains. Iron caves, no major predators, decent amount of trees. All I need to do is track down a good iron source and I've got all I need for a smelter, a smithy, and an anvil, all in one. Straight to making the finest weapons that can be bought this side of the North Sea." Kaye said, detailing out her plans.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Johann replied. "Well, if you need someone with knowledge of blacksmithing, you have me. Been taught by my father from a young age before he died and turned over the hammer and anvil to me." he added.

Johann also thought of what they could bring in the Aherrad plains with them as food. "Speaking of making it out there, we could maybe get some food for the journey. How about it?"

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Gregor

It took a bit of wrangling, and a purchase contract with the stony-faced shopkeep for a reasonable amount of timber, but in the end the Rossiyan man secured a decent prize for his bit of arboreal real estate. The coins that changed hands he made disappear rapidly, unwilling to risk anyone making out their color even in this dim firelight, and Gregor mentally resigned himself to yet more work tomorrow for what he had earned. Still, not a bad rate, not for a man out on the frontier. The Keeper was smiling on him, that was for sure.

He left the trunk where it lay. They'd deal with that in the morning. For now he merely located some grub, and made for the blockhouses. With the summer sun now thoroughly set behind the western horizon, it was beginning to get a touch chilly, especially for a man just out of the drink. A hot mush of grains and some diffident nutrients did duty for what real food would otherwise cozen.

With his small knife he set to work on another effort to which he was fain to handle swiftly, the large bundle of sturdy branches fresh hewn from the tree at his side. There were still a few hours yet ere he felt inclined to take advantage of the bedroll the company had provided, and so he wiled them away whittling at the long bits of cast off timber, shaping them and sharpening them to glide through the water. As he did so, with each flick of his knife he sent a tiny bit of wood into the flames, a slow hypnotic rhythm of industry and sparking light.

As was the way of men, he fell to talking with some of the other workers who had not yet succumbed to weariness. Physical exertion had never told on his body as much as those of others, and this was a labor he was long accustomed to, the languid pulse of knife and timber, and so his mind was all but free. It was almost restful, watching the dappled firelight play over the features of his companions as the tides of conversation shifted about him. There were truths, and sorrows, and boasts, and outright lies in a lot of the talk. Most people didn't talk about their pasts, which he could identify with. You didn't come to a Powerforsaken place like this if you weren't running from something, or half-mad, or both things at once.

Eventually, as the others began drifting off, he found himself alone at a low table with a man named Markus. Markus had come here fancying to make his fortune in silver under the Company's auspices, then return to the Continent to marry his love. She had stopped writing him only a month after he had arrived, and nobody got rich on company dues - they used up your strength, and paid you but a pittance for it. As did many. But Markus still had strong arms, and he clung to Gregor's stories of better times like a drowning man.

"How did you end up here, if you were such a well-respected trader?" There was a still a hint of suspicion in the young man's voice, but this was one of the last hurdles. The southerner shrugged noncommittally.

"You know how it is back home. Forget to lick the wrong set of... boots, or pay off the right official, and somebody says you've done something you haven't. They came after me for tax evasion, and might not even have been lying too hard. When you trade where I did, in the things I did, it can be quite difficult to make sure everything is properly documented, and the Crown's opinion of what is worth what doesn't always align with reality. But I'll do it again here, make my life anew. And this time there won't be any nobles or bootlickers around to weigh me down."

It was a grand vision, and the other man had been swilling what passed for grain alcohol in these benighted parts. Gregor was getting tired too, and his head was beginning to swim from the smoke. He politely nodded to Markus, and yawned.

"Think about what I said. An ambitious man like you, as young as you are - you could go far. I'll talk to you in the morning."

Action: Purchased Copper Pickaxe
Action: Sold Branches to Reddy
18:00-21:00 Action: Gathering Long Grass 2, weaving 2 Baskets
21:00-04:00 Action: Slumber in Explorer's Guild Stockade

1 Copper Nobles, 5 Copper Knaves
Humble Clothes
Freshly-Sharpened Copper Axe
Freshly-Sharpened Copper Pickaxe
1 Long Grass, 2 Baskets

Sleep: Sleeping
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Alfred "Ruddy" Rednbocker

"Aye I will go see him good merchant." He walked out and went to go see the man. His body was weighted by the want of exploration but the coppers in his name were no more but a chain around his foot. However this chain had a key that was income, income that he needed if he were to survive the first week and be able to hunt on his own like everyone else is doing. He only took a few steps and took a right to see the foreman and waved him down.

"Hail Foreman, I was told you need some extra hands for the mines? I'm willing to work if you would have me."
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse