NATION

PASSWORD

The Vanished Wilderness [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:Quick question? Howcome a copper spear is more expensive than an axe despite spears usually having less metal in it than an axe?

Because Ultar is a scam artist.
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:14 pm

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:Quick question? Howcome a copper spear is more expensive than an axe despite spears usually having less metal in it than an axe?

The secret is actually in the six feet of heartwood contained within the haft. While heartwood is optional for basic tools, it's pretty much mandatory for a fine spear like these - and a significant amount of it too. That combined with increased artisan time jacks the price up significantly, not to mention high demand in an untamed landscape.

Auphelia wrote:

Because Ultar is a scam artist.

That too I mean, how dare you?
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:That too I mean, how dare you?

Speaking of, how much does Ultar pay do buy things from us as we create things? Are they bought at market value?

I noticed that in the currency system that a plot of land can go for a gold knave, so if we were to make a plot of land, could we sell it?

Also, is a goat a beast of burden? I know that they are strong and relatively large animals, so I would think so, but I did not wish to assume.
Last edited by Auphelia on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

SC #307

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:32 pm

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:That too I mean, how dare you?

Speaking of, how much does Ultar pay do buy things from us as we create things? Are they bought at market value?

I noticed that in the currency system that a plot of land can go for a gold knave, so if we were to make a plot of land, could we sell it?

Also, is a goat a beast of burden? I know that they are strong and relatively large animals, so I would think so, but I did not wish to assume.

It'll very - and you'll be hard-pressed to pry prices from him in advance on anything but timber. As for market value, absolutely not - man's gotta make a profit. The cost of selling to an intermediary.

Nay, that's not how that works - that's a broad range of price for tracts of land in the Empire - unless you'd like to make inquiries as to land ownership in the New World (and many would not thank you for drawing the Empire's attention to such things), land here largely belongs to whomever is living on it.

Aye, though perhaps not as strong as some, it'll do.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:It'll very - and you'll be hard-pressed to pry prices from him in advance on anything but timber. As for market value, absolutely not - man's gotta make a profit. The cost of selling to an intermediary.

Nay, that's not how that works - that's a broad range of price for tracts of land in the Empire - unless you'd like to make inquiries as to land ownership in the New World (and many would not thank you for drawing the Empire's attention to such things), land here largely belongs to whomever is living on it.

Ah, thank you for the information! I assumed the prices were based on land in the Empire, but I did want to make certain.

And it is good to know that a goat is just as good as any ox. Greta would be proud. Now in terms of starns (a basketful, no?), how many could a goat carry?

Now, let's assume that we were to go indigo harvesting. Would a scythe improve harvesting speed? Or a hoe, for that matter? I know it says their harvesting is a difficult task, but we wouldn't want to harm the precious plants.
Last edited by Auphelia on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:03 pm

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:It'll very - and you'll be hard-pressed to pry prices from him in advance on anything but timber. As for market value, absolutely not - man's gotta make a profit. The cost of selling to an intermediary.

Ah, thank you for the information! I assumed the prices were based on land in the Empire, but I did want to make certain.

And it is good to know that a goat is just as good as any ox. Greta would be proud. Now in terms of starns (a basketful, no?), how many could a goat carry?

Now, let's assume that we were to go indigo harvesting. Would a scythe improve harvesting speed? Or a hoe, for that matter? I know it says their harvesting is a difficult task, but we wouldn't want to harm the precious plants.

Indeed, indeed.

Well, the real trick is working out how to fasten any items to poor Greta's back. You can't think of anything that would do for that, offhand. And yes - a basket will typically hold about a starn of material, and a man can haul about four starn, assuming he has enough containers.

The trouble with indigo is you're actually trying to get at the leaves, not the plant itself - the stalk proper is quite toxic, and it also has a long growth period, so you really don't want to be pulling at anything but the leaves. A nice pair of shears might have some impact? You're not really experienced enough with the plant to be sure.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:Indeed, indeed.

Well, the real trick is working out how to fasten any items to poor Greta's back. You can't think of anything that would do for that, offhand. And yes - a basket will typically hold about a starn of material, and a man can haul about four starn, assuming he has enough containers.

The trouble with indigo is you're actually trying to get at the leaves, not the plant itself - the stalk proper is quite toxic, and it also has a long growth period, so you really don't want to be pulling at anything but the leaves. A nice pair of shears might have some impact? You're not really experienced enough with the plant to be sure.

I don't suppose making some rope to tie two baskets together and hanging them over Greta's back would work? Ah, I can always try - and make my own baskets. Bah! Ultar won't be getting any more money from me than can be helped.

And that is good to know. So even as a botanist we're not all that familiar with the plants here? We will still have a better chance of finding them though, correct?

Terribly sorry for all of the questions, but I am a plotter and your answers are immensely helpful.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:14 pm

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Indeed, indeed.

I don't suppose making some rope to tie two baskets together and hanging them over Greta's back would work? Ah, I can always try - and make my own baskets. Bah! Ultar won't be getting any more money from me than can be helped.

And that is good to know. So even as a botanist we're not all that familiar with the plants here? We will still have a better chance of finding them though, correct?

Terribly sorry for all of the questions, but I am a plotter and your answers are immensely helpful.

Honestly that's probably not a balancing act worth undertaking. I suppose you could try.

Those with the botanist skill are quite familiar with Imperial plants, and have an understanding of how plants tend to function, but "what's the best way to harvest this specific exotic plant" tends to be something you have to work out yourself.

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:07 pm

"1 Dream"

Well, I'm rooting for Ruth. Hopefully things work out. :p

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Lazarian wrote:"1 Dream"

Well, I'm rooting for Ruth. Hopefully things work out. :p

I hope so too!

With pluck, courage, and perhaps a little bit of prostitution, she might just make it in this crazy, mixed-up world.

And good luck with Pierre! Ruth may just use his ferry services if he goes down that path.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am

First round of updates done - let me know if you have questions.

EDIT: Oh, and I’ll be putting up a travel time table later today. Realized the times in the map section aren’t all that clear.
Last edited by The GAmeTopians on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 am

So Silver Tongue means I can get one less knave when buying and get one more knave when selling?

Does...this means I can get 18 Loaves of Bread for free?
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:33 am

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:So Silver Tongue means I can get one less knave when buying and get one more knave when selling?

I always treated it as a "down to 1 Knave" thing, though Game might have his own method.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:First round of updates done - let me know if you have questions.

EDIT: Oh, and I’ll be putting up a travel time table later today. Realized the times in the map section aren’t all that clear.

I've been looking at the clay mechanics and have a few questions on that. It says that two starns of clay can be harvested a day, which makes sense, but then when it comes to making things like pots from clay, it says that it takes five pounds. How many pounds are in a starn? Is a bushel the same unit as a starn?

Also, cut stone. If someone had a pickaxe, they could create it, correct?

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:So Silver Tongue means I can get one less knave when buying and get one more knave when selling?

I always treated it as a "down to 1 Knave" thing, though Game might have his own method.

Indeed - no free bread for you :p

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:First round of updates done - let me know if you have questions.

I've been looking at the clay mechanics and have a few questions on that. It says that two starns of clay can be harvested a day, which makes sense, but then when it comes to making things like pots from clay, it says that it takes five pounds. How many pounds are in a starn? Is a bushel the same unit as a starn?

Also, cut stone. If someone had a pickaxe, they could create it, correct?

Ah, you’ve caught me already - I’ve actually been thinking about that. G is welcome to weigh in on his original intention, but I’d peg a starn at roughly 50 pounds, given a raft can carry 12 starn or 4 persons. Give me a bit to think on that though.

Aye, cut stone could be done with a pickaxe, though it might be faster with a proper chisel.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am

Yeah, which is why I inquired first.

Also, is it fine if I treated my character's arrival period as Dawn? I saw G-Tech already moved on with his activities.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 am

Also, is it fine if I treated my character's arrival period as Dawn? I saw G-Tech already moved on with his activities.

Everyone is arriving at first light, aye - time isn’t linear, so feel free to move at your own pace, even though G is rushing ahead :p - just don’t move to the next day until my say-so.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:

Everyone is arriving at first light, aye - time isn’t linear, so feel free to move at your own pace, even though G is rushing ahead :p - just don’t move to the next day until my say-so.

Oh, alright. So as long as you haven't said anything about the next day, all IC activities will stay in one day?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:

Yeah, strapping in for twelve hours of thrilling woodcutting action felt necessary :P

The GAmeTopians wrote:Ah, you’ve caught me already - I’ve actually been thinking about that. G is welcome to weigh in on his original intention, but I’d peg a starn at roughly 50 pounds, given a raft can carry 12 starn or 4 persons. Give me a bit to think on that though.

Aye, cut stone could be done with a pickaxe, though it might be faster with a proper chisel.

Technically I think I said forty pounds to a starn, but that's really neither here nor there. A person with the proper harness can carry up to four starns of goods, which is probably a bit generous, but represents a fully-laden laborer carrying a yoke or the like.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:Everyone is arriving at first light, aye - time isn’t linear, so feel free to move at your own pace, even though G is rushing ahead :p - just don’t move to the next day until my say-so.

Yeah, strapping in for twelve hours of thrilling woodcutting action felt necessary :P

The GAmeTopians wrote:Ah, you’ve caught me already - I’ve actually been thinking about that. G is welcome to weigh in on his original intention, but I’d peg a starn at roughly 50 pounds, given a raft can carry 12 starn or 4 persons. Give me a bit to think on that though.

Technically I think I said forty pounds to a starn, but that's really neither here nor there. A person with the proper harness can carry up to four starns of goods, which is probably a bit generous, but represents a fully-laden laborer carrying a yoke or the like.

Just riveting, innit? I might do some brief flavor interaction in town, but Kaye is basically headed straight to the Aherrad Plains, in search of iron.

That makes sense, I was wobbling between the two numbers - let’s go with 40 pounds, so 8 pots per starn. I’ll make a weights and measurements table sometime soon.

Announcement
I misinterpreted some of the measurements from the previous iteration, so some of the time numbers are off (I counted a day’s work as 16 hours rather than the original 12) - I’ll be fixing the reference page numbers in an hour or so, but for now just read the descriptions when plotting - those will be correct.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am

Ah, nothing like using the word adventure five times in one post.

And agreeing to go off with a strange man into a strange wilderness, alone. Well, Greta will be there to chaperone. It will be fine.

Is murdering a fellow player a viable mechanic in this game?

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 am

Auphelia wrote:Ah, nothing like using the word adventure five times in one post.

And agreeing to go off with a strange man into a strange wilderness, alone. Well, Greta will be there to chaperone. It will be fine.

Is murdering a fellow player a viable mechanic in this game?

Martial Prowess does have many uses.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:Martial Prowess does have many uses.

. . .

Can a goat have martial prowess?

Greta likes to study karate in her spare time.
Last edited by Auphelia on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Martial Prowess does have many uses.

. . .

Can a goat have martial prowess?

Greta likes to study karate in her spare time.

Nope, sorry Greta. No opposable thumbs, I'm afraid. Or fingers.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Name:Alfred "Ruddy" Rednbocker
Description:

Biography:Alfred was born within the Imperial military. His mother was a camp worker while his father was a corporal at the time. While the birth wasn't entirely on good note since the husband was trying to run away from his new duties, he took them in stride. Being raised in the military he grew with a discipline to fight against whatever enemy or new borders that Her Imperial Majesty wishes to expand. When it was time for him to join the military he joined the scouts and went far but eventually he's wanderlust got the best of him until he asked for a retirement when he could just be an explorer by his own merit.

It was first rejected but when one arrow struck him deep in the left lung. By the grace of the gods he survived but he didn't have the same lung capacity as before, hindering his endurance. Yet he got his retirement and his savings, using it to take a trip to the Wild Lands. A trip of adventure and exploration that he always wanted.
Skills: Hunter, Explorer, Martial Prowess
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse