NATION

PASSWORD

The Vanished Wilderness [OOC | Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:09 am

Ralnis wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:However you like - I've only taken her as far as leaving Ultar's shop, pickaxe slung over her shoulder and munching on a handful of fruit, so you're free to make contact however!

I'm making a post about walking over to talking with Ultar about getting a job as a miner. Hopefully theirs's some actual pickaxes left.

The Company mine provides tools, so if you’re working for them don’t worry about it.
Empire of Donner land wrote:EHEG don't stop for no one.
It's like your a prostitute and the RP is a truck. The truck don't stop.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:12 am

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Ralnis wrote:I'm making a post about walking over to talking with Ultar about getting a job as a miner. Hopefully theirs's some actual pickaxes left.

The Company mine provides tools, so if you’re working for them don’t worry about it.

Ok, thinking of either doing that or start hunting.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:43 am

Now how much could a canoe carry? Also, how long would one take to carve out?

I do not see the mechanics for such a craft on the resource list. Would it take an expansion point to create?
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:44 am

Also how much is a bushel of wild fruit?
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am

Auphelia wrote:Now how much could a canoe carry? Also, how long would one take to carve out?

I do not see the mechanics for such a craft on the resource list. Would it take an expansion point to create?

Potentially, aye, if you want distinct mechanics for it. Improvised stuff will generally be far less useful than something done with an expansion point.

Ralnis wrote:Also how much is a bushel of wild fruit?

A "bushel" is a basket-full, and it'll feed a man for a week - though if you'll be working in the mines, you may as well take the free food offered by the explorers' guild in town for a week.

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am

Auphelia wrote:Now how much could a canoe carry? Also, how long would one take to carve out?

I’m just going off the Timber description: “Timber: The most natural form of wood available, timber is simply a tree not standing vertical. Cutting down said forest giants will generally require some form of Axe, and take about two days to fell completely depending on size. Handy once processed, and potentially for very crude water transport if turned into a makeshift raft.”

Makeshift raft seems promising, if a little sketchy.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:50 am

Lazarian wrote:

I’m just going off the Timber description: “Timber: The most natural form of wood available, timber is simply a tree not standing vertical. Cutting down said forest giants will generally require some form of Axe, and take about two days to fell completely depending on size. Handy once processed, and potentially for very crude water transport if turned into a makeshift raft.”

I sense river piracy being a thing.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

Ralnis wrote:I sense river piracy being a thing.

Hey, that’s why banding together is important in this strange new world. No man’s an island and all that.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:52 am

Lazarian wrote:

Ah, that’s in reference to -

“ Raft: Really less of a building, and more of a permanent conveyance, the humble raft is designed to carry a user and much cargo downstream with a current. Constructed of five to eight lengths of Timber and two bundles of Fiber, a log-raft can halve the travel time downriver on various bodies of water, such as the Eras or other rivers, though it must be rowed back up at the same rate as normal travel. Log rafts may be disassembled at no loss of materials, and can carry up to twelve starns of weight, or four persons.”
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am

Ah, gotcha. Adjusted my post.

Well, staying in town for the first week is cool. No rush to get out there and die. :p

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:00 pm

Lazarian wrote:Ah, gotcha. Adjusted my post.

Well, staying in town for the first week is cool. No rush to get out there and die. :p

Mind you, I’m sure a canoe would be great for personal transit. Definitely a niche there. Just not currently a thing, unless you want to literally cling to a log as it floats downstream.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Lazarian wrote:

The canoe idea seems fine, but I am worried about the chance of failure and us getting dumped out into the river halfway through. I am also worried a bit about the carrying capacity. A raft would allow multiple people to come on (carrying up to four, and it seems we'll be a group of three if we can get that axe) and be less work we have to do in the future. It would also give us a few days to prepare for our journey, perhaps earn some money, and interact with any characters that stay in town - along with providing free food and shelter for a week while we make our preparations.

A net alone needs a total of 18 hours, with 12 to gather the requisite grasses for 3 lengths of fibre (with no time on the conversion) and six hours to knot it all together. Then there is the matter of making baskets, which will take less time but still about a day.

Also also, Greta cannot ride a canoe.

She is a goat.

They are not known for their aquatic skills.

The GAmeTopians wrote:Potentially, aye, if you want distinct mechanics for it. Improvised stuff will generally be far less useful than something done with an expansion point.

So a raft like the mechanics say would work well? Also, how much time does the raft construction itself take?

Lazarian wrote:Ah, gotcha. Adjusted my post.

Oh good! Dying wasn't in my plans, personally.
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

SC #307

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Lazarian
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:16 pm

Auphelia wrote:A net alone needs a total of 18 hours, with 12 to gather the requisite grasses for 3 lengths of fibre (with no time on the conversion) and six hours to knot it all together. Then there is the matter of making baskets, which will take less time but still about a day.

Also also, Greta cannot ride a canoe.

She is a goat.

They are not known for their aquatic skills.

Ah, but I got the one Scythe, which means I can harvest Long Grass at twice that rate. 2 long grass an hour, 1 fiber in 2 hours, and a net in 12 hours. (6 hours for 3 fiber, 6 hours for assembly).

And we’ve got a cool new tool coming up, courtesy of my first expansion point - the first one spent in the game, if I’m not mistaken. I’ll be able to handle the food needs downriver for our group of 3 (and possibly more) by the time the raft is put together. Unfortunately, the raft is looking at...60 hours of logging, about 4 days of work.

I might have forgotten about the goat when I was mulling the whole canoe thing over. :p
Last edited by Lazarian on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:Potentially, aye, if you want distinct mechanics for it. Improvised stuff will generally be far less useful than something done with an expansion point.

So a raft like the mechanics say would work well? Also, how much time does the raft construction itself take?

The raft should indeed be reasonably safe, unless you try to overload it or otherwise take unnecessary risks.

It's literally just a couple logs tied together, so we'll call it an hour's assembly and be done with it.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Expansion Activated!
Lazarian: -1 Expansion Point

Fishing Trap: Little more than a few nets tied together and pinned down to the riverbed, this simple trap allows an avid fisherman to gain some passive income. On a normal day, it should catch two freshwater fish in a 24-hour period, though an experienced fishmonger might be able to better place it for increased yield. Harvesting the trapped catch takes an hour, and the trap can hold up to six fish at max - though if left at max capacity for three days, the catch will have died and begun to rot under the waves. Created with three nets, roughly a third of a bundle of branches, and two hours.

It'll be under Constructions in the reference page soon, but I'm not on the right computer to push to the site right now.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Lazarian wrote:Ah, but I got the one Scythe, which means I can harvest Long Grass at twice that rate. 2 long grass an hour, 1 fiber in 2 hours, and a net in 12 hours. (6 hours for 3 fiber, 6 hours for assembly).

And we’ve got a cool new tool coming up, courtesy of my first expansion point - the first one spent in the game, if I’m not mistaken. I’ll be able to handle the food needs downriver for our group of 3 (and possibly more) by the time the raft is put together. Unfortunately, the raft is looking at...60 hours of logging, about 4 days of work.

I might have forgotten about the goat when I was mulling the whole canoe thing over. :p

Oh yes, the scythe! That will make creating baskets much easier. Baskets to carry goods! Like indigo, or perhaps your fish if you have excess.

And yes, Greta is vital. She is strong and she can bleat and she will eventually be a mother to many goats.

The GAmeTopians wrote:The raft should indeed be reasonably safe, unless you try to overload it or otherwise take unnecessary risks.

It's literally just a couple logs tied together, so we'll call it an hour's assembly and be done with it.

So for the load: how many baskets/bushels of indigo would equal a starn? I understand how other things (like a basket full of apples or fish or clay) would weight 40 pounds, but for light things like grass and leaves, approximately what would that be?

SC #307

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm

I will become the Cortez of this RP! All the tribes will make me a god of hunting and I'll fight for independence!

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Ralnis wrote:I will become the Cortez of this RP! All the tribes will make me a god of hunting and I'll fight for independence!

There are native people in this new world?

Oh dear, that would lend to some very complicated ethical considerations.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Lazarian wrote:Ah, but I got the one Scythe, which means I can harvest Long Grass at twice that rate. 2 long grass an hour, 1 fiber in 2 hours, and a net in 12 hours. (6 hours for 3 fiber, 6 hours for assembly).

Oh yes, the scythe! That will make creating baskets much easier. Baskets to carry goods! Like indigo, or perhaps your fish if you have excess.

And yes, Greta is vital. She is strong and she can bleat and she will eventually be a mother to many goats.

The GAmeTopians wrote:The raft should indeed be reasonably safe, unless you try to overload it or otherwise take unnecessary risks.

So for the load: how many baskets/bushels of indigo would equal a starn? I understand how other things (like a basket full of apples or fish or clay) would weight 40 pounds, but for light things like grass and leaves, approximately what would that be?

To be fair, after a certain point it becomes more about volume - I don't think most people could easily carry more than 4 full baskets at a time, and the raft will certainly be swaying and moving quite a lot. G in his infinite wisdom is free to chime in, but barring any further debate i'm inclined to just peg them at one starn each for the purposes of transit, unless a more efficient method is acquired.

Auphelia wrote:
Ralnis wrote:I will become the Cortez of this RP! All the tribes will make me a god of hunting and I'll fight for independence!

There are native people in this new world?

Oh dear, that would lend to some very complicated ethical considerations.

I don't know, are there?

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:54 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:I don't know, are there?

I don't know, are there?

:blink:

Oh dear, perhaps martial prowess would have been worth an investment.

SC #307

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Auphelia wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:I don't know, are there?

I don't know, are there?

Shrugs

That's for me to know and you to die trying find out.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:To be fair, after a certain point it becomes more about volume - I don't think most people could easily carry more than 4 full baskets at a time, and the raft will certainly be swaying and moving quite a lot. G in his infinite wisdom is free to chime in, but barring any further debate i'm inclined to just peg them at one starn each for the purposes of transit.

'tis just so. A bushel, in medieval/equivalent times, is about as much volume as you want to carry in your arms - several gallons or thereabouts. Carrying four baskets/bushels/starns is the utmost limit of what a person can handle, regardless of weight, and really relies on some clever balancing of loads and mechanisms like a backpack/yoke.

Auphelia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:Shrugs

I adore this game.

SC #307

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:14 pm

The GAmeTopians wrote:
Auphelia wrote:
I don't know, are there?

Shrugs

Time to go hunt some natives for their trinkets and magic.

The GAmeTopians
Powerbroker

Postby The GAmeTopians » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Ralnis wrote:
The GAmeTopians wrote:
Shrugs

Time to go hunt some natives for their trinkets and magic.

Who's hunting who?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse