NATION

PASSWORD

1812: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-DEAD]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:39 am

Madrinpoor wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:
  • Formatting is important, I mean your very answer has a formatting issue which in turn makes it more difficult to read.
  • Discuss history with other players. Like I said, you'd have two or three nations directly hostile to your pirates, maybe talk with one of the players to have it so that there was a military expedition planned against some of your states some time ago, I don't know. It's your concept.
  • Yes, as I've pointed out several times, you were not following the proper way the app should be organized. You were adding explanations where things only had to be mentioned, you were adding explanations about things where there shouldn't have been, and then complained in the description sections that you had to repeat yourself, when, had you followed the app as it should have been followed, this wouldn't have happened.
  • I am a bit confused by the comparison with knights but I will look at it in the app
  • Social welfare systems have existed for most of humanity's history, that is true, but not social-market capitalism.
  • You answered your own question. Capitalism would be your economic ideology, maybe mixed depending on the exact role of the state, or even state capitalism if the pirate fleets are completely controlled by the state. The role of piracy should then go to economic description.
  • You are once again sort of condescending here. You explained the role and size of these small armies, but I omitted what I asked you to add - recruitment, and equipment.
  • You said that the junks were adopted from the Chinese and then modified with cannons, when the Zhu themselves would have modernized junks, it wasn't a critique as much as me trying to see how much inspiration your fleets were taking from the Zhu, as in whether you had older junks that were modernized by your pirates, or constantly take over models of more modern junks from the Zhu.
  • Slaves and weapons wouldn't be particularly traded, spices would be the most important transport, and presumably also stuff like tea, but my point was simply that European and Asian trade would be defended, so your pirates would be mainly thriving off of fleets that they can overwhelm or merchant ships that aren't guarded or armed.
  • If it looks out of context that that's because you are not following the proper app format. Look at other accepted apps to see how they organized their military descriptions if the app itself is confusing to you.
  • They couldn't protect all of their trade ships, that is true, but my point was specifically that you wouldn't fully control the straits of Malacca because presumably European and Asian colonial control over the area and the seas would be rapidly rising. We have several nations who are directly interested in the trade there, and we are in the era when nations had strong enough navies to crush large pirate fleets completely, look at what happened to the Barbary Wars or to Ching Shih. It doesn't mean that your pirates need to be defeated in the IC or anything like that, just that there would most likely be a rising presence of national fleets in the waters around Malacca. The Zhu player has also told you that in the present, the Zhu would not be allied with you, which makes sense seeing as they'd be interested in trade with the Europeans. You can try to to discuss it with other players to see if anyone else would be willing to support you in the present.
  • You do not understand the concept of a point of divergence. You can do anything in regards to naming provinces, yes, this is alternative history, but with an explanation. We're not a fiction roleplay here, we're one of alternative history which means that like I said, you need real life to diverge into this alternative history at some point, which you are not mentioning. If those real life states no longer existed by the time your pirate states were starting to become a thing, then you need to explain why. Look at the role - we are willing to accept a lot of things if properly explained, but you need to have a clear divergence and to explain things. You do not - your pirate states just appear out of nothing without explaining what would have happened to the region for history to diverge like that.

As an added point, Johor controlled territory in Sumatra in the 18th century.

What I wanted you to say is once again, to explain things - you can't just handwave them. Why was piracy a thing much more so than in real life? Why were the states there so weak as to be conquered by pirates. How did the newly created pirate states gain legitimacy and evolve into sultanates, and finally, why did all these pirate states decide to band together.

And if you think that my critiques are petty, I'm sorry that they look like that, I am simply trying to help you to make an acceptable app because neither of your app versions so far would or could have been accepted.

Fixed formatting and some organization.

I explained the army. I said that the armies are private armies, like PSCs in real life. Essentially mercenaries. They are owned by the Sultans and if the Sultans need to they can call a draft, all of which I specified. Likely they would be using like cutlasses or rifles, as most armies used at this time. I think I added that if I haven't I will go fix that.

I never said I control the strait of Malacca. I just said my pirates are active around it, because there is a lot of treasure going through and treasure beings pirates.

[*]I am a bit confused by the comparison with knights but I will look at it in the app
What is to be confused about?

[*]You do not understand the concept of a point of divergence. You can do anything in regards to naming provinces, yes, this is alternative history, but with an explanation. We're not a fiction roleplay here, we're one of alternative history which means that like I said, you need real life to diverge into this alternative history at some point, which you are not mentioning. If those real life states no longer existed by the time your pirate states were starting to become a thing, then you need to explain why. Look at the role - we are willing to accept a lot of things if properly explained, but you need to have a clear divergence and to explain things. You do not - your pirate states just appear out of nothing without explaining what would have happened to the region for history to diverge like that.
Piracy was and is a big deal. That area has, today in RL, the second highest rate of piracy after East Africa. Just in my storyline the pirates, under the leadership of Atang, began establishing sultanates. What is not diverged or confusing about that?

The existence of piracy in the region in real life doesn't automatically explain the existence of your nation. You are simply working over the region of Indonesia as if it would be a blank state, cherry picking the things that you like, the existence of piracy, and ignoring the existence of real life states in the area without making the slightest effort to explain your alternative history or to create a divergence point. If you do not understand or want to understand the concept of working on and explaining your alternative history and properly diverging from real life history then we're both wasting our time here.

Thank you for your interest, but the app continues to be rejected.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:29 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Madrinpoor wrote:Fixed formatting and some organization.

I explained the army. I said that the armies are private armies, like PSCs in real life. Essentially mercenaries. They are owned by the Sultans and if the Sultans need to they can call a draft, all of which I specified. Likely they would be using like cutlasses or rifles, as most armies used at this time. I think I added that if I haven't I will go fix that.

I never said I control the strait of Malacca. I just said my pirates are active around it, because there is a lot of treasure going through and treasure beings pirates.

[*]I am a bit confused by the comparison with knights but I will look at it in the app
What is to be confused about?

[*]You do not understand the concept of a point of divergence. You can do anything in regards to naming provinces, yes, this is alternative history, but with an explanation. We're not a fiction roleplay here, we're one of alternative history which means that like I said, you need real life to diverge into this alternative history at some point, which you are not mentioning. If those real life states no longer existed by the time your pirate states were starting to become a thing, then you need to explain why. Look at the role - we are willing to accept a lot of things if properly explained, but you need to have a clear divergence and to explain things. You do not - your pirate states just appear out of nothing without explaining what would have happened to the region for history to diverge like that.
Piracy was and is a big deal. That area has, today in RL, the second highest rate of piracy after East Africa. Just in my storyline the pirates, under the leadership of Atang, began establishing sultanates. What is not diverged or confusing about that?

The existence of piracy in the region in real life doesn't automatically explain the existence of your nation. You are simply working over the region of Indonesia as if it would be a blank state, cherry picking the things that you like, the existence of piracy, and ignoring the existence of real life states in the area without making the slightest effort to explain your alternative history or to create a divergence point. If you do not understand or want to understand the concept of working on and explaining your alternative history and properly diverging from real life history then we're both wasting our time here.

I am sorry — I have no idea what you want me to say. I have tried to explain everything, I really am so confused as to what more I need to do! What am I doing wrong? I don't understand your criticisms. I don't understand what on earth you want me to do and I sure as heck am tired of you saying I do not WANT to fix my app. I do want to. I think this is a very cool idea for an RP. But your constant critiques that are confusing to me, petty and unnecessary, or have no visible solution that you have explained because I have tried to fix things repeatedly, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? What will allow me to be accepted. If you gave me a real answer I would have fixed things in a heartbeat. If you just say "You don't understand the concept" or tell me to explain something I did explain, then I can't fix things. And I am definitely wasting my time trying to be a part of this RP.

By the way, "without the slightest effort to explain my alternative history"...I have spent over THREE HOURS on my history. I have written and rewritten and tried to please you but I cannot. So just stop it. Just stop these childish attacks on me. "You're being condescending because you said 'I already explained' " "When you're the one not following the format" "without making the slightest effort". That is not the way to treat people, especially people who are interested in participating in something you created. So find a solution to the thing you're telling me to fix or it is obvious there is none and this RP is not something I should be spending my precious time trying to participate in.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Not an OP, but if I may be allowed to explain, I believe what Tracian means is that you must find a point of divergence. In simple terms, this means you have to choose a year of real life history (say 1750 or 1650 or some other date) and then, taking into account the history up to that date, you explain how things change and lead to the creation of your country. So, for example, check in Wikipedia the states that existed in your region in the year 1750 (to use an example) and their history. Then explain what happened between 1750 and 1812, how those states were conquered by pirates and how your country came to be. Remember though to check the applications of those already accepted, to see if their history affects your region in any way.

Again, not an OP and I do not run the RP, so you may want to speak with Tracian. But I hope my explanation helps. :) :)
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:33 am

Madrinpoor wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:

I am sorry — I have no idea what you want me to say. I have tried to explain everything, I really am so confused as to what more I need to do! What am I doing wrong? I don't understand your criticisms. I don't understand what on earth you want me to do and I sure as heck am tired of you saying I do not WANT to fix my app. I do want to. I think this is a very cool idea for an RP. But your constant critiques that are confusing to me, petty and unnecessary, or have no visible solution that you have explained because I have tried to fix things repeatedly, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? What will allow me to be accepted. If you gave me a real answer I would have fixed things in a heartbeat. If you just say "You don't understand the concept" or tell me to explain something I did explain, then I can't fix things. And I am definitely wasting my time trying to be a part of this RP.

By the way, "without the slightest effort to explain my alternative history"...I have spent over THREE HOURS on my history. I have written and rewritten and tried to please you but I cannot. So just stop it. Just stop these childish attacks on me. "You're being condescending because you said 'I already explained' " "When you're the one not following the format" "without making the slightest effort". That is not the way to treat people, especially people who are interested in participating in something you created. So find a solution to the thing you're telling me to fix or it is obvious there is none and this RP is not something I should be spending my precious time trying to participate in.

I am afraid that I will have to ask you to leave this thread.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Madrinpoor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Tracian Empire wrote:
Madrinpoor wrote:I am sorry — I have no idea what you want me to say. I have tried to explain everything, I really am so confused as to what more I need to do! What am I doing wrong? I don't understand your criticisms. I don't understand what on earth you want me to do and I sure as heck am tired of you saying I do not WANT to fix my app. I do want to. I think this is a very cool idea for an RP. But your constant critiques that are confusing to me, petty and unnecessary, or have no visible solution that you have explained because I have tried to fix things repeatedly, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? What will allow me to be accepted. If you gave me a real answer I would have fixed things in a heartbeat. If you just say "You don't understand the concept" or tell me to explain something I did explain, then I can't fix things. And I am definitely wasting my time trying to be a part of this RP.

I am afraid that I will have to ask you to leave this thread.

Glad to oblige, though I would like to know your specific reasoning for it.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:33 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:I would like to know your specific reasoning for it.

Doesn't matter. Forum rules allow the OP to choose who posts in their thread. Don't post here again.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 am

Axis Asteroid wrote:

Full Nation Name : Kingdom of Dahomey | Danxome | Danhomé

#AltDiv (Do not delete this, it is used to keep track of the apps)

Absolutely incredible app, accepted!

Alt Div Admin
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alt Div Admin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:32 am

Map and list have been updated, Brazil and Scandinavia are once again free and up for grabs

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:18 am

Reservation

Nation Name: Republic of Florida
Territory: the Floridian peninsula

*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 am

Deblar wrote:
Reservation

*Note: Reservations will last for 48 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting and removing reservations.

If you want to ask for an extension of your previously expired reservation you can do so, but we will need you to give us an estimate of when you think you'd be able to finish your app. You can't endlessly make reservations.

Deblar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Deblar » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:29 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Deblar wrote:
Reservation

If you want to ask for an extension of your previously expired reservation you can do so, but we will need you to give us an estimate of when you think you'd be able to finish your app. You can't endlessly make reservations.

I should have one complete by tomorrow or the day after.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 am

Deblar wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:If you want to ask for an extension of your previously expired reservation you can do so, but we will need you to give us an estimate of when you think you'd be able to finish your app. You can't endlessly make reservations.

I should have one complete by tomorrow or the day after.

Alright then

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Full Nation Name : The Papal Diocese and Apostolic State
Majority/Official Culture : Latin, Roman
Territorial Core : The City of Rome and environs
Territorial Claim : The Entire World (Catholicism claims to be the Universal Religion, and the Pope presents himself as the leader of that religion)
Capital City : Rome
Population : 1.500.000

Government Type: Absolute Theocratic Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies : Conservative theocratic
Government Focus : The focus of the Papal Diocese is the advancement of Catholicism around the world, be it the safety of the children under her guidance or the expansion of states that follow the Catholic doctrine. The Pope also makes sure Canon Law and religious dogmas are properly followed.
Head of State : The Pope, Pius Septimus
Head of Government : See Head of State
Government Description : The City of Rome and the Catholic Church are headed both by the Pope; the most holy bishop in all of Christendom. The election of the Pope has always been a difficult subject; at the start of the medieval era, the Pope was no different than any other Bishop, and his position was therefore an elected one; to be chosen by the people of his diocese. However, this was more and more unbecoming as the Patriarch of Rome came to hold an important position in Western Christianity, what would later become Catholicism. Two Roman patrician families constantly vied to have their loyalists on the Papal throne, and because of this the Papal seat became a political device for these families. At one point, the Holy Roman Emperor, King of the Germans, was forced to intervene, and came to appoint Popes in the following years. After this, a new system was devised, where a Pope would divise the manner of appointment for his successor, usually involving the College of Cardinals having some sort of vote.

Now, this is all important for understanding how the current system came to be. In 1565, Pope Pius Quartus passed away. He had been a controversial figure, reconvening the Council of Trent as a perpetual ecumenical council to consult in matters of faith. This coincided with the restructuring of the Theological University of Rome, which would serve at the pleasure of the Ecumenical Council. Altogether, the basis of the Church would be more seated in rational debate than in pure Church dogma, in the hopes of undercutting the criticism of protestantism and other reformist groups. On his death bed, Pius Quartus also signed his final Will and Testament, which decreed that his successor would have to be elected by all Dioces across Europe, as the will of God would show itself through the whole mass of Christendom. The Cardinals objected, but the Will contained such a detailed description of what procedures to follow that they dared not cast it aside. So, the first Papal election in history was held. It was mostly farsical; rife with voting fraud on all possible levels, since there was no history for such an event, and the high illiteracy among Catholic peasants did not help the matter, but the farsical nature did not deminish the revolutionary act.

Pope Pius Quintus did not repeat this experiment, but did increase the role of the ecumenical council as well as the college of cardinals in selecting candidates, while giving the ecumenical council representative seats from all Dioces. This turned the ecumenical council into something resembling a parliament, although they lacked any sort of power and remained a purely deliberative and scientific body. It was pope Urbanus Septimus who once again let his successor be decided by general vote, although this time, he prepared for it. The voting procedure would be done over a period of half a year, during which votes would be cast under seal of confession. This helped reduce fraud as well as make the election part of church doctrine. Throughout the 17th century, popes were elected in this manner sporadically. Until Pius Septimus; this pope has since decreed that, from his death onward, every pope will have to be elected by secret ballot from candidates nominated from the college of cardinals by the ecumenical council. The 19th century is a new century, after all, and the revolutionary fervour of the world shows that the Church has to grow alongside. Still, it is important to note that the Church still supports the theological basis for the divine right of kings; however, they make a difference between the Papacy and the Temporal Kings, whose authority eminates from the Holy See.

Majority/State Religion : Rastafarianism

Economic Ideologies : Mercantalism, with heavy Christian overtones
Major Production : Religious texts, wine, early tourism (due to Rome being a site of pilgrimage)
Economic Description : The economy of the Diocese is pretty unique: it depends almost entirely on the spending of the Catholic Church, from money that is mainly collected from donations and state sponsors, as well as some banking duties and investments performed by the Church. This influx of money means that the Diocese does not export much in the traditional sense, and the economy is almost entirely geared towards supporting the headquarters of the Universal Religion. Local economy is also supported by tourism from wealthy pilgrims from all over the world, seeking the most holy site in Catholic christianity.

Development: Mercantile and mostly urban, based on the ownership of various patrician, semi-noble classes in the Roman countryside.
Development Description : Rome is mostly urbanised with some farming gentry in what countryside it possesses. It has no interest in machines, rather wanting to keep their estates pure and close to nature. The Church abhors any investment into factories, not least because the creation of a poor working class would be a threat to the Vatican.

Army Description : The Roman army consists of two major parts: the smallest, but most well-trained, is the Swiss Guard. This papal honour guard, grenadiers all, acts as an elite police force and the personal guard to the Pope. It consists of two regiments, the Saint Peter and Saint Paul regiments, and totals 4.000 men. Despite the name, the Swiss Guard is formed from all German-speaking lands that will allow expatriats to Rome. The larger part, the Holy Legion, is bigger: five regiments, 10.000 men in total, and acts like a kind of foreign legion. People join it to escape some form of justice. At any moment, only one regiment is active, while the others are kept in reserve, to be called on. Their quality is poor, but their devotion to the Church is unrivalled, and they can be called upon when the Swiss Guard lacks the strength to protect Rome.
Army Weakness : It's size. The Roman Army cannot project strength far beyond its borders, and serves only to protect the City itself from incursion. The armaments of the Swiss Guard are stellar, but the Holy Legion is poorly equipped with antiquated weapons.
Naval Description : The Roman Navy is nearly non-existent; Rome is kept safe by naval forts and shore batteries, rather than an active navy. The Pope has a small personal fleet for when he needs to travel, but this fleet is only lightly armed, and depends on the strength of other nations to protect it from harm.
Naval Weakness : You can't have naval weaknesses if you don't have a navy.

National Goals : It depends on what Pope is on the throne. Generally, the Church balances between peaceful, theological contemplation and charity on the other hand, and vengeful spreading of the Faith by Fire and Sword. The basic goal of the Church is to become the Universal Church, to herald Jesus' peace to all corners of the globe. Eventually, the Church must rule supreme, and all heretics and heathens must be accepted into the bosom of the Mother Church. However, Catholicism stands on the back foot, and colonisation will be the greatest boon to the church since the printing press.
National Issues : Uppity kings who have their own goals aside from the Holy Goals of the Church, a division among the clergy on what the Church needs to accomplish, and the prominence of large Orthodox, Muslim, Heathen and Protestant powers all over the world.
National Figures of Interest : The Pope, Pius Septimus, who is more and more interested in claiming the mantle of the Roman Empire from the Austrians, who are beginning to annoy him through lack of missionary zeal.

History :

Alright, just need the history. Which I have already mainly described, but still. Will probably finish tomorrow!
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Northern Socialist Council Republics
Senator

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:31 pm

Alt Div Admin wrote:Map and list have been updated, Brazil and Scandinavia are once again free and up for grabs

Excellent. I have a bit more time now than I did two weeks ago.

Some of the details have been copied straight from my earlier abandoned application, but otherwise I tried to adapt some of my post-modern ideas into something that might plausibly work in the technological and economic environment of the early 19th Century. The PoD is my usual - the viking age results in some social changes that historically never happened and doesn't result in some social changes that, historically, did.

I also didn't want to spent too much time on my history, because from experience obscure historical details are almost never relevant in the IC anyways, so I wrote a brief overview instead of the more detailed summary that I put up in previous iterations of Alternative Divergence.

Application

Full Nation Name: The official names of the country are Sambandsríki Norðurlýðveldanna (Scandinavian) and Pohjoismaiden neuvostotasavaltojen (Finnish). No official translations into non-native languages exist, but in English the Commonwealth in Hyperborea, adapted from the Ecclesial Latin name for the country, the Commonwealth of Northern Republics, an attempt at a direct translation from Scandinavian, and simply the Scandinavian Commonwealth are all commonly accepted in both popular and official discourse.
Majority/Official Culture: The inhabitants of the Commonwealth have a Hyperborean/Northern civic national identity, but no such culture exists; the majority culture is Scandinavian, with Finnish and Sami being accepted minority cultures.
Territorial Core: The de-facto territory of the Commonwealth is Northern Europe, encompassing Denmark (including South Jutland), Sweden, Norway (including the Shetland and Faroe Islands, Iceland, and Greenland), and Finland including West Karelia.
Territorial Claim: The Commonwealth considers the Orkney Islands to be its rightful territory temporarily under British occupation and the Commonwealth has considerable interest in reclaiming this territory. The Commonwealth also has some interest in the Baltic Region and East Karelia, but its official diplomatic position is that it has no territorial ambitions in Novgorod.
Capital City: The capital city of the Commonwealth is Roskilde, on the island of Sjælland in the Danish Republic.
Population: The total population of the Scandinavian Commonwealth is 5.92 millions, of which 1.90 Sweden, 1.89 Denmark, 1.06 Norway, and 1.06 Finland.

Government Type: The country styles itself a Sambandsríki, often translated as "Commonwealth" or "Confederation", and as the name implies is a Union of four parliamentary Republics.
Government Ideology/Policies: The Commonwealth is defensive, collectivist-egalitarian, nationalistic, and mercantilist.
Government Focus: The Commonwealth is highly interested in the protection of its population and society from external threats, whether such threats be military, diplomatic, or cultural, and tries to engage in economic imperialism to secure access to foreign resources and find markets for its own production. The Commonwealth seeks to accomplish both of these objectives by focusing heavily on diplomacy and intelligence, by understanding the motivations and desires of foreign dignitaries as well as having established lines of communications to armed rebel groups, wealthy merchants, and the scholarly intelligentsia alike. It's said that there is a Scandinavian in every port in the world, and every innocuous Scandinavian might be eyes and ears for the Commonwealth...
Head of State: The Head of State in the Commonwealth is His Most Noble Excellency Sigurd IV Ruriksson, First Speaker in the Four Nations, Protector of the Commonwealth, etc. etc.
Head of Government: The decentralised and fractured nature of the Commonwealth's governance means that there is no single Head of Government that leads the executive. The authority of the State Council (Scandinavian: Ríkisráð), however, is generally recognised.
Government Description: The Commonwealth has a unique model of governance which scholars call the autonomous-cooperative organisation model. The autonomous-cooperative organisation model does not recognise the government or the State as a separate entity distinct from the society over which it has authority. Therefore, in one sense the Commonwealth can be said to lack a government, while in another sense the Commonwealth can be said to have a State that controls everything. At the very foundation of Hyperborean society are the communal assemblies. Communal assemblies vary widely in their scopes: village councils might define their membership by geographic location, trade associations might define their membership by occupation, alumni clubs by educational attainment, sports teams, etc., etc. All communal assemblies hold regular meetings to which all members may attend and in which all members may speak, but beyond this very little can be said about the structure of these communal assemblies as a whole. Some are explicitly democratic, with leaders elected by popular support, some elect their leaders in byzantine and opaque procedures or have appointed leaders, and some even have hereditary positions. These communal assemblies are aggregated into larger organisations with a broader scope, with uncodified divisions of power between larger organisations and the smaller organisations that are its members; for example, a regional council might be composed of various village councils and trade associations. Ultimately, the Commonwealth is the overarching structure to which all of these organisations are subsidiaries. The Commonwealth recognises a legal leader, a Protector that is also customarily the First Speaker of her component Nations, who is nominated by a weighed vote of the State Council and serves for life. This State Council is composed of the leaders of the largest organisations that are direct vassals of the Commonwealth itself. The Protector of the Commonwealth is, however, an almost completely ceremonial position with little real power beyond unofficial influence, and the autonomous-cooperative organisations of the Commonwealth means that there is no single person that is clearly recognisable as the real leader of the Commonwealth.

Majority/State Religion: The Commonwealth has no official religion, but the majority religion is a system of belief that scholars call Norðurtrúin, literally "the Northern faith".
Religious Description: The Northern Faith is a syncretic and polytheistic/animist faith with some shamanist elements. Not being a codified and dogmatic religion, it encompasses a range of beliefs and practices vaguely held together by a common respect for both ancestral spirits and animistic deities, a notion of rights and obligations that innately belong to humanity in its role as the creative component in the otherwise cyclical natural world, and a relatively fatalist and deterministic cosmology. It is a development on old Germanic pagan and Finnic pagan religious practices drawing many elements from Chalcedonian Christianity and heavily influenced by the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment throughout the 1600s and 1700s. In addition to the Northern Faith, the Commonwealth also harbours a significant Christian minority, especially in the major cities. This minority is split into a variety of Reformed Christian churches whose theological beliefs span a spectrum that bridge the gap between the Jesus cults of the Northern Faith and the more mainstream Protestant Christianity of Continental Europe. There is a smaller minority, concentrated in the northeastern countryside, of more traditional Sami shamanism.

Economic Ideologies: The Commonwealth is fiercely mercantile and protectionist in its foreign trade policy and is generally eager to use diplomatic pressure to impose unequal trade agreements on less powerful neighbours. Internally, the Commonwealth maintains a relatively open albeit corporatist market economy. The Commonwealth has no national social security scheme, but trade unions, political clubs, and other such associations that straddle the gap between the state and civil society often do provide poverty relief for its members.
Major Production: The vast northeastern hinterlands of the Commonwealth supplies furs, timber, and base metals in abundance, while her long coastlines host rich fisheries. In terms of manufacturing, the Commonwealth has traditionally held strength in the ironworking and shipbuilding industries.
Economic Description: Like many other countries of its size and level of technology, the Commonwealth has an economy dominated by rural agriculture, which supports a small but healthy industrial sector that mostly consists of the extraction of raw materials and delivering them to urban centres, both foreign and domestic, to be processed in artisan-dominated manufactories. Recent improvements in agricultural technology and the greater availability of imported foodstuffs, however, has led to a large-scale migration of rural population to the cities, creating considerable social tension but also great economic opportunities.

Development: Industrialising
Development Description: The Commonwealth is arguably one of the most technologically sophisticated nations on the planet today; it is certainly not, however, one of its most industrialised. A lack of easily accessible domestic sources of coal, with only small-scale mining operations in central Sweden, the lack of any large captive colonial markets, and the relative abundance of water and wind power all mean that there is no great economic impetus towards mechanisation and industrialisation. Nonetheless, as the Commonwealth grows increasingly concerned about the influx of cheap manufactured products from elsewhere in the North Sea market and ambitious innovators seeking to avoid paying the relatively high wages of labour in the Commonwealth, new industrialised manufacturing is starting to take place in the Commonwealth's great cities.

Army Description: The border between the Commonwealth and Novgorod is long, thinly-populated, heavily-forested, and largely unroaded. The Army of the Commonwealth has adapted accordingly and now specialises in warfare in this sort of terrain. It fields a total of 72,000 troops, divided into six armies of 12,000 each, further divided into four brigades of 3,000 each. In composition, compared to similarly sized armies of other nations, the Army of the Commonwealth is relatively strong - in both numbers and quality - in infantry and field artillery. Overall the Army of the Commonwealth has considerable expertise in moving both troops and supplies through harsh terrain, in negating the advantages of superior enemy firepower, in reconnaissance and resisting hostile reconnaissance, and in raid or ambush tactics reliant on shock. This is especially true for the infamous Scout Regiments (Scandinavian: landvörður) of the Army, which are specialised light infantry skirmisher troops trained for boreal, alpine, or arctic combat. It is largely a defensive army, with the operational and strategic mindset of the same, and is supported by various militias, garrisons, and paramilitary forces that cannot be drawn far from their homes.
Army Weakness: A focus on adaptable infantry and field artillery means that the Commonwealth suffers from a relative lack of cavalry and siege artillery. Combined with its dependence on familiar terrain and friendly populations, the Commonwealth's ability to maintain an offensive into hostile territory is nearly nonexistent, and doubly so if said territory consists of open plains or grasslands. A relatively small population and a political and cultural focus on the navy also means that the Army often has difficulties expanding as necessary in times of crisis, and is often outnumbered by the armies of its neighbours.
Naval Description: With a strong maritime tradition and prestige in the eyes of the state and the people alike, there can be little doubt that the Navy of the Commonwealth is the branch of pride of the Commonwealth's armed forces. While it doesn't quite match the open-battle prowess of the British, it is still capable of rapid maneuver even under unfavourable wind conditions, has a penchant for showing up at the most unexpected locations at the most inconvenient moments, and is incredibly effective at denying the seas to the ordinary maritime traffic of any nation against which it chooses to act while harassing detachments of any hostile navies that seek to do the same to it. All in all it fields 30~40 ships of the line supported by perhaps ten times that number in smaller commissioned vessels.
Naval Weakness: Commonwealth naval doctrine is adapted to warfare in the North Sea and the Baltic, and it lacks any colonial presence in other continents. Consequently the ability of the Navy to project power away from its homeland is rather sharply limited.
Further Military Description: It is necessary to mention one final detail to complete the picture of the Commonwealth's defenses. On the border between Germany and Denmark, along the northern banks of the Eider River, there exists a system of fortifications called the Danevirke. As the Eider River almost separates Jutland from the Continental mainland and guards a choke point along a very narrow section of South Jutland, this has always been considered a high priority for defensive construction and the original Migration Era earthen ramparts has been significantly reinforced over the centuries with walls, moats, and even large fortresses.

National Goals: Internally, the Commonwealth seeks to maintain its communal yet open society and continue improving the lives of its citizenry both by developing its industrial cities and by securing favourable markets overseas. Abroad, it seeks to maintain cordial-to-warm relations with Germany and maintain a balance of power in Europe favourable to itself, while to the east it seeks to break Novgorodian influence over Baltic trade and carve away its non-Russian territories away from her. To the west, the Commonwealth wishes to recapture the Orkney Islands and overcome Britain's naval dominance.
National Issues: The Commonwealth suffers from a lack of any hard power projection or colonial holdings and a lack of an strong natural impetus towards industrialisation.
National Ambition/Aspirations: Above all, the Commonwealth dreams of one day being the naval hegemon of Europe and letting nothing move on the sea except by its consent!

History: The roots of the Commonwealth can be found in the North Germanic peoples, who migrated into their modern homeland of Scandinavia c. 2000 BC and has slowly consolidated from disparate family clans into larger and more organised tribal polities in the centuries thereafter while slowly pushing northwards into territories formerly inhabited by nomadic proto-Sami peoples. While considerable architectural evidence still remains from this early Scandinavian culture, the North Germanic peoples only feature prominently in recorded history from the dawn of the Viking Age, c. 750 AD.

By the mid-8th Century, the Scandinavians had consolidated into a few dozen petty kingdoms, including two large polities to the southeast which would later develop into Denmark and Sweden. A combination of a martial-focused tribal society, sophisticated seafaring techniques that were the natural result of its island- and fjord-ridden geography, demographic pressures from strong population growth, and relative poverty compared to the more cultured societies of Christian Europe all contributed towards a major shift in Scandinavia towards a maritime society. While the raiding adventurers that pillaged shores and riverbanks from Ireland to Persia are the best known image of this period in history, Scandinavians also took to the seas for exploration, settlement, or trade, playing a large role in the revitalisation of maritime commerce after its decline during the fall of the Roman Empire.

While there were some mass migrations of Scandinavians to foreign shores - for example, in Normandy or Ruthenia - by and large these maritime adventurers visited foreign shores with the intent of gaining wealth and prestige that could be used to shore up their status in Scandinavia proper. By 900 AD this influx of overseas resources have not only resulted in the consolidation of three kingdoms that are the direct predecessors of modern Scandinavian Republics - Denmark, Sweden, and Norway - but also resulted in the spread of literacy into Scandinavian society and the dominance of mercantile and adventuring interests in Scandinavian politics.

These adventurers also not only used their newfound wealth and influence to attain high positions in traditional Scandinavian society, but also upset the traditional structure of this society itself. Strong maritime interests meant that there were powerful individuals in Scandinavia who had the loyalty of many men independent of any noble status or land ownership. Consequently, Scandinavia never fully absorbed the feudal model of governance prevalent in Christian Europe, in which the social hierarchy was maintained by the granting of land rights by higher nobility to the lower in a tree-like hierarchical structure where each lord serves only one direct liege, but instead developed into a set of overlapping and informal societies with split loyalties.

The Viking Age came to a close in the late 11th Century as the strength and stability of European Christian societies grew, but religious pressure from the aggressive Christian states to the south continued to force the consolidation of the Scandinavian polities, especially following the failed Scandinavian Crusades of the late 11th and early 12th Centuries. This religious pressure and Christian aggression led to the development of Norse paganism as a proselytising religion, leading to the Great Conquest, a series of Dano-Swedish invasions against Baltic and Finnic pagans of the east, over the 13th Century in the same time period that also saw the Northern Crusades spread Christianity into the region. Inconclusive brush wars between the Scandinavian elective kingdoms and the Teutonic Order would continue well into the 1400s, with the political frontier eventually settling along the Daugava River.

This pagan religious identity, alongside a desire by the mercantile interests of Scandinavia to contest the Hanseatic League's increasing dominance over trade in the North and Baltic Seas which the Scandinavians had until then dominated, led to an alliance of Scandinavian trading cities in the late 14th Century, today remembered mostly for its savage Sack of Lübeck in 1409 and for beginning the tradition, starting from King Knut I who ruled Denmark and Sweden from 1392-1427 and Norway from 1393-1427, of electing the same candidate to the three Scandinavian thrones.

While the discovery of the Americas and the advent of European colonialism did prompt this newly-founded Scandinavian union to invest in the establishment of colonies, resettling Greenland and establishing several forts and settlements along the North American coast and on the Caribbean islands, these efforts were by and large unsuccessful, drawing the attention of more powerful colonial powers. By 1650 all of them were abandoned or lost except for Greenland. Scandinavia saw somewhat more success in the exploration of Africa and Asia, establishing several factories along the coastlines of great empires in these continents. For much of the 17th Century, Scandinavia was one of the premier trading empires of the times, and this period of roughly 1620-1720 is generally considered the country's golden age. This period in history also saw a flourishing of Scandinavian culture and philosophy.

While these harbour forts in Africa and Asia did not develop into permanent colonies, mostly being ceded back to the native countries from which they were leased throughout the 1700s, they did succeed in creating vibrant Scandinavian-speaking expatriate communities that even today extends in a limited way the Commonwealth's diplomatic and cultural influence over much of the world.

This golden age was put to an end by the Burning Raven, a term given to the series of wars that pit Scandinavia against most of its neighbours throughout the early-18th Century. These wars saw Scandinavian nobility stripped of what titles they possessed within the Holy Roman Empire, the cessation of Livonia, Estonia, and Ingria to the Novgorodians, and the loss of the Orkney Islands to the newly Catholic Britain, a loss which the Scandinavians have never quite accepted.

It was the painful experience of these wars that led to the social reorganisation of the following few decades. Scandinavia became the first country in the world to hold a full national census, in 1749, and instituted an admittedly primitive national healthcare scheme through the existing guild and trade union structure. The military also saw considerable changes, with the large campaign armies of the 16th and 17th Centuries getting overhauled in favour of a smaller but more standardised and strictly-organised national army. By this point, furthermore, Scandinavia had essentially functioned as a single well-integrated polity for centuries, and yet continued to maintain the legal fiction that it is a personal union of three fully independent kingdoms. Social unrest among the upper elite following the military disasters of the Burning Raven prompted the reorganisation of the country's leadership, changing its legal status and formal structure to better reflect the actual, de-facto status and structure of upper Scandinavian society. With the subsequent recognition of Finland as a fully equal member of this union, the three Scandinavian Kingdoms became the four Nations of the Commonwealth.

In the decades since, the Commonwealth sought to reinvent its image as a cultured and sophisticated European state, joining the rising tide of enlightenment ideals with its own pluralistic and communal traditions and fully engaged in European exploratory and scientific pursuits. With its cities now nurturing a nascent industrial economy, only time will tell what remains to come...

RP Sample: Spaaaaaaaaace

Last edited by Northern Socialist Council Republics on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 am

Tag. Also, apologies for the last time I tried to apply more than a year ago now.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 am

Reservation

Nation Name: The Afsharid Sultanate
Territory: All of Iraq, Kuwait, Persia, the part of Central Asia unoccupied by the Russians, and all of Arabia minus the small Korean colony.

Last edited by Dragos Bee on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Full Nation Name : Sublime State of Persia.
Majority/Official Culture : Iranian
Territorial Core : Persia, Iraq, Kwuait, Bahrain, and all of the Arabian Peninsula except for the part of Yemen occupied by Joseon. Note that only Persia, Iraq, Kwuait, and Bahrain are under centralized rule, with the rest being under the dominion of local grandees, some of whom only pledge nominal surenazity to the Shahshanshah of Persia. Also, a small part of modern-day Pakistan pledge nominal allegiance as well and pay tribute.
Territorial Claim : Syria and the Levant, if possible.
Capital City : Hamadan, chosen for its location close to Iraq while not being part of Iraq itself.
Population : 12 Million.

Government Type : Monarchy (Sultanate)
Government Ideology/Policies : Ideologically, the Persians adopt a Pan-Islamic stance that seeks to unify Sunnis and Shias among common grounds rather than differences, lest Europe and East Asia overrun them.
Government Focus : The Sublime State of Persia is focused on economic development and political centralization, as well as recovering the Muslims' pre-eminence in mathematics, scholarship, science and philosophy. However, the military is not neglected (see 'Military Description' for more).
Head of State : Shahrukh Qoli Mizra Afshar (Original Character, son of Reza Qoli Mizra Afshar and grandson of Nader Shah).
Head of Government : Shahrukh Qoli Mizra Afshar (Original Character, son of Reza Qoli Mizra Afshar and grandson of Nader Shah).
Government Description : The Sublime State of Persia has long been an Absolute Monarchy, characterized by a semi-centralized state apparatus and bureaucracy that serves the interests of the ruler. However, faced with an empire so large that it cannot be governed effectively from the center, much power has been ceded to local vassals and the Hedjaz is all but independent. Nevertheless, the threats from east and west, as well as influences from various Protestant states Persia is trying to ally with, has caused some experimentation with 'local representation' allegedly based on the principle of Shura (Consultation) which appears in the Quran.

And by that, Shahrukh Qoli Mizra Afshar, in his core territories of Iraq and Iran, has allowed the creation of an 'Assembly of Delegates', a purely advisory body which nevertheless represents members of the lower classes whose existence would be otherwise overlooked. This 'Assembly of Delegates' is allowed to 'petition' the ruler for the passage of new laws, the amendment of existing ones, and the allocation of funds for their implementation. They are also permitted to elect 'local advisors' which would apprise the local governors of 'popular opinion' and 'common grievances'. These 'local advisors' are regarded as under the official protection of the Sultan, and harming them to be synonymous with rebellion against central authority.

However, the Sultan himself keeps all executive authority, reserving the right not to accept 'petitions' which infringe on the royal perogative or violate the Afsharid interpretation of Islamic Law, and keeps a tight hold on the sources of funds needed to ensure the viability of the Assembly of Delegates. Not merely that, but he also makes sure that the Assembly and its elected representatives are prevented from raising funds for themselves through an official decree dubbing such actions as 'embezzelment'. Nevertheless, with the loosening of political restrictions comes money and power, and the advent of 'Islamic Finance', plus the economic liberalization influenced by Persia's Protestant Christian allies (to be decided on during Nation Creation), have accelerated the process.

Nevertheless, for the time being, the institution of 'Executive Monarchy' is intact.

Majority/State Religion : Islam.
Religious Description : Twelver Shia Islam is the main religion in Iraq and Iran, as well as Kwuait and Bahrain, but Sunni, Christian, and Jewish minorities exist all throughout the land. In the vassal states in Arabia, a melange of different Islamic Sects contend for influence, with the Hedjaz being a strong bastion of Sunni Islam.

All throughout the land, the similarities between various sects of Islam are empahasized instead of the differences, but unofficially, sectarian hatred strengthens the further one gets to the pehiphery.

Economic Ideologies : Transitioning from Mercantilist to Proto-Capitalist.
Major Production : Pistachios, Grain, Citrus, Safffron, Iron, Gold, Steel, and Bitumen (Petroleum byproduct). Also Coal, although its not used much. Also, Fish, Dates, Glassware, Incense, Silk, and Jewelry.
Economic Description : As part of his reforms, and influenced by delegates and students he had sent to Protestant countries, Shahrukh Qoli Mizra Afshar has loosened controls on trade and industry to an extent unprecedented in Iranian history, both Islamic and Pre-Islamic. Private entrepreneurship is encouraged, internal tolls between provinces removed, and tax breaks granted to businesses and merchants. However, to prevent the Crown from losing money, the central government has decreed state ownership of the largest 'Islamic Banks' in Persia, Banks which get around the laws on ursury by charging 'rent' from its borrowers instead of outright interest. Not merely that, but the Sultan and his Harem (who in turn are influenced by Mughal India, where women regularly ran business transactions from Purdah) themselves engage in 'state enterprise'.

Slavery exists, but the laws against enslaving other Muslims are more closely enforced than they were in the past, while the enslavement of Christians, African Pagans, and Hindus has been reduced, not because of any charitable impuslse but because of the Sultanate's introduction of labor-saving devices from the West, including water-powered weaveries and mills and primitive steam engines. This has caused many industries staffed by slaves, both male and female, to free said slaves because they were no longer turning a profit - The Sultanate, out of charity, has allowed this new class of freedmen to access financial support from charitable institutions and has granted favors to those who convert to Islam.

Development: Industrializing in the central core, but not in the fringes.
Development Description : The Afsharids, seeking an edge against powerful enemies like the Eastern Roman Empire and its Excharate of Egypt and influenced by various Protestant nations it has allied with, has sent students abroad while trying to revive Islamic Scholarship and Science. Shahrukh Qoli Mizra Afshahr is an especially energetic and visionary reformer, trying to liberalize the economy and permit private enterprise within the bounds of Islamic Law and establish a modernizing financial system. Even then, he knows better than to import Western innovations and technology wholesale and has focused on areas directly relevant to state prosperity and military might, such as water-powered weaveries to bolster the textile industries, steam engines to pump water out from mining tunnels, and the use of the assembly line and replacable parts for the production of handguns.

Attempts have also been made to attract Chinese and Korean Rocketeers to further improve the Rocket technology of Persia, as well as develop one's own metal casting industry to produce better artillery...

Army Description : Due to having a long border with the Eastern Roman Empire, the Army of the Sublime State of Persia saves money and expenses by delegating local defense to local vassals like the 'Emirate' of Jabal Shammar and the 'Sharif of Hedjaz', who in turn employ local tribes and militias to act as a first line of defense against a Roman Invasion. However, since the last days of Nader Shah, the best of the best of the Persian armies were kept in northern Iraq not just to deter a potential invasion, but also a reminder that any aggression towards the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina would be met with a direct invasion of Syria and the Levant which could potentially split the Eastern Romans in twain. Sharukh Mizra Afshar has continued and refined said policy, with the Army of Iraq numbering an estimated 80,000 to 150,000 troops with modern training, equipment, and staffed with volunteers enticed through monetary grants and tax exemptions.

Where the Eastern Romans have Greek Fire, the Persians have invested in Rocketry, as mentioned by their attempts to acquire the services of Chinese and Korean rocketeers, sometimes through illegal means. They also invest in Zamburaks, camel-mounted swivel guns which can be deployed in rugged terrrain. And due to the need for mobility, the Sultan himself maintains 7000 Cavalry, 3000 Camel Cavalry, 2000 Zamburaks, and 10,000 Mounted Infantry who ride to battle on Camels but dismount for battle, as well as 200 pieces of horse-drawn artllery and 50 pieces of horse-drawn rockets.

The rest of the Persian Ground Forces, especially on the Indian and Central Asian borders, are a mix of local tribes and levies, as well as local militias, but a second professional army, the Army of Iran, is being built up from volunteers from the cities and the countryside, many of whom are former artisans who flock to said Army because of the introduction of industrial technology has ran them or their families out of a job. Now, the Army of Iran numbers an estimated 60,000 to 80,000 troops, split into three cantonments in northern, central, and southern Iran to be consolidated under one commander only if a major invasion of Persian territory occurs, or if the Persians are invading another area.

Army Weakness : The Persian Army is ridiculously expensive, and furthermore, the transition from a semi-fedual to a professional force is incomplete, resisted by political opponents of the Sultan who see it as infringing on their traditional rights (which it does).

Naval Description : The Persian Navy is a small force composed of European-style ships either bought from European Protestant nations or build domestically with the aid of European deserters and mercenaries. It is further divided into two flotillas, one in the Caspian Sea and one in the Persian Gulf.

The first one is composed of two Brigantines and two Frigates and four smaller Sloops, while the second one, though modest by European standards, is more impressive by local ones, with 4 Ships of the Line, 5 Frigates, 10 Sloops, 15 Brigantines, and an unknown number of transport and supply ships. This can be supplemented with conscripted merchant vessels, ships from vassal rulers, and even pirates.

Naval Weakness : The Persian Navy is expensive to pay for yet still weaker than the fleets of the various European powers.

Further Military Description : N/A

National Goals : Modernize, Centralize, and then break at least one of its external enemies to guarantee its existence.
National Issues : Our economy, military, and technology are antiquated and resolving those too quickly might lead to internal unrest, cultural dislocation, and revolt. Change takes time, sadly.
National Figures of Interest : N/A
National Ambition/Aspirations : To be a modern state and a Great Power.

History :
  • Nader Shah is not wounded by an assassination attempt in 1741, and does not suspect his son to the extent of having him blinded, unlike IRL. He goes on to conquer further territories in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula and campaign against Byzantium/Eastern Rome (if Tracian, the Byzie/ERE player, permits) with no lasting success despite his military genius, which nevertheless leads to a status quo ante bellum peace between the Afsharids and the ERE (if Tracian permits). He eventually dies in 1757, one decade later than IRL.
  • Nader Shah is not wounded by an assassination attempt in 1741, and does not suspect his son to the extent of having him blinded, unlike IRL. He goes on to conquer further territories in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula and campaign against Byzantium/Eastern Rome (if Tracian, the Byzie/ERE player, permits) with no lasting success despite his military genius, which nevertheless leads to a status quo ante bellum peace between the Afsharids and the ERE (if Tracian permits). He eventually dies in 1757, one decade later than IRL.
  • Reza Qoli Mizra Afshar succeeds to the throne with little hassle and embraces Twelver Shia Islam in full, ending his father's 'syncretist' policies. Although this causes discontent in the regions which remained Sunni, any flicker of revolt is snuffed out with great cruelty. Nevertheless, seeing the increasing strength of the Europeans, Reza tries to ally with the Protestant nations in Europe as well as extend trade contacts to China and the other nations of East Asia. Technological and military modernization begins, and 'experts' from Europe are brought in, including renegades who had converted to Islam from Christianity.
  • Sharukh Qoli Mizra Afshar, the third son of Reza, is taught by one of said renegades, a random European odfficer who had joined the Persians out of a need for advancement. This renegade would later instill in Shahrukh some belief in the rights of the common 'citizens' of the Sultanate. With this Renegade's help, Shahrukh would defeat his elder and younger brothers and succeed to the throne upon his father's death in 1790.
  • Shahrukh passes reforms influenced by the West to centralize power, focusing on strengthening the cities and stabilizing internal trade and order, before trying to weaken the power of the nobility and controversially, the clergy. Various hard-line elements opposed to these reforms and the targeting of their interest groups revolt, but with The Renegade's help, Shahrukh manages to squash the rebellion, although he holds back from cruelly executing them and is content with a sentence of exile, confiscations of property, and vast fines.
  • Shahrukh passes laws lowering the Jizya tax on Non-Muslims, and most controversially, allows Non-Muslim communities to pay Jizya not with money, but with military service, something which actually exists in Islamic Law. Even more controversially, he also sends students to various Protestant Nations to learn from their technological, economic, and military advances. Many of these students return with new ideas, as well as an appreciation of their own past achievements in scholarship...

RP Sample: viewtopic.php?p=37964281#p37964281

Last edited by Dragos Bee on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:55 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:52 am

Dragos Bee wrote:Full Nation Name : Sublime State of Persia.

• Pakistan being added to your claim would be a bit too much maybe you could have a part of it in line with the real life Afsharid control of the area
  • The population is too large and isn't explained. Qajar Iran by 1800 had a population of 6 million, Iraq had less than 1 million, the First Saudi State had maybe two, and so on. Maybe you could reach something like 12 million with your added populations, though you should use Populstat to check for it. You do a lot of territories, but these haven't been particularly well populated at this point in history
  • It's a small question, but when did the Afsharids start to claim the title of Shahshanshah instead of just Shah?
  • A larger question for the app is - how exactly did Persia decide to contact Protestant nations specifically? What's the reasoning behind it? If the reason to it was hostility to the Orthodox Roman Empire, then Catholic nations would work as well. I'd imagine that a traditionalist country such as the Afsharids would have second thoughts about taking a lot of inspiration from Republican nations.
  • You also need to explain what exactly made the Afsharids create an Assembly of Delegates because the title sounds completely Western in nature, and it's highly unlikely that the aristocracy would have just allowed such a body to exist. Some experiments based on Shura maybe, but once again, you need to explain the reasoning. Neither the Afsharids, nor the Zand, nor the Qajar (until the end for the latter) felt the need to make liberal and constitutional concessions. Ideals of Enlightenment are still only now spreading in Europe, it will be a long time before the people of Persia would start agitating for political rights. It's likely that most issues the Afsharids would face would be ethnic and religious.
  • When and how did the Afsharids switch to such a policy of Islamic tolerance? From my knowledge, Nader Shah was irreligious but started to espouse Sunni Islam in order to weaken the Shia associated with the Safavids, so something needs to have happened to have switched the policy like that, especially since the inhabitants of Mecca and Medina would have great expectations towards the Custodians of the Two Mosques.
  • Economically, once again, you need some reason to have such reforms, and to take inspiration from the Protestant countries. Such an ease in restrictions would initially lose the Crown quite a lot of money, and state ownership of Islamic banks needs to be further explained since to my knowledge there were no permanent institutions of Islamic banking at this point in time. There is also no Mughal India so no way of taking inspiration from there. You would also probably need someone to invest into Persia and to give you early industrial elements, since you're working with a 70 years or so divergence.

The introduction of some industrial machine would also not lead to a decrease in slavery. I mean, look at the US south, where the introduction of machines that could process cotton actually made them more profitable. Looking at Qajar Iran also, it's likely that slavery and slave trade with Asia would be among your most profitable industries. The state freeing slaves would also be probably met with a lot of opposition from the slave owners and from the aristocracy.
  • The same questions for development, with the added notion that sending students to study abroad would probably make them clash with Islamic law and culture upon returning, so it would be very difficult for the Sultan to be both using Islamic law as an example and trying to take inspiration from Protestantism.
  • You should not talk about numbers in estimates, there is no reason too, give us an exact number, because 150,000 modern soldiers would be way too much. The Qajars had around 50,000 Nezam-e Jadid in their wars with Russia, but there were still not fully modern troops, they were trained by the British and French but still have significant issues. You'd need someone to train your modern force, and to explain the switch away from the cavalry forces that were the mark of Nader Shah, and someone to give you modern weapons.

I'm also not fully sure where you got the rocketeers from, I don't remember either nation using it in the present. Nader Shah was different from the earlier Safavid armies in that he invested into artillery, but you should take inspiration from said real life artillery corps. Chinese rockets, even if they do exist, would be mostly demoralizing due to the noise and light rather than a particularly good artillery. I'm also not sure how the rockets would come in a an opponent to Greek Fire - Greek fire isn't used that much on land, and if is, it's used similar to flamethrowers.

But the numbers are overall too large. Iran couldn't have around 300,000 modern, professional, and well trained troops. It's likely that you'd have a small professional core similar to Nezam-e Jadid, and then traditional Afsharid forces.
  • It being expensive isn't necessarily a weakness for your military, only maybe in the long term, but for your economy, and it being in transition doesn't make much sense when faced with your description of Persia fielding so many modern soldiers. You need proper weaknesses.
  • Having a navy with some European ships isn't impossible, but you once again need to find a sponsor, and those numbers would probably be a bit too large. Take a look at the real life Afsharid Navy and use it as the basis for your expansion. Similarly, being expensive isn't a direct weakness.
  • The core of the history is alright, but you do repeat one bullet point twice. But you need to explain more things so that it would make sense. Why particularly does Nader Shah try to conquer Arabia? He did try to conquer Oman and to create an empire around the Persian Gulf, but expansion into Yemen or Hejaz wouldn't necessarily be a good strategic decision, so you need to explain it. Even more so since it's highly unlikely that the Afsharids would have any sort of de facto control over the deserts of central Arabia, much like the Ottomans never had. Even more so if he also fights a war against the ERE, that limits the time he'd have to conquer Arabia.

Moving on, if Reza Qoli Mizra Afshar adopts Shia Islam and persecutes Sunni after Arabia was conquered, you'd see a massive revolt in the Hedjaz, that's kinda unavoidable. You also need to explain why he'd look at Protestant nations specifically, especially seeing as Britain in this time period would be going through its Revolution or would be close to it. Britain only became a republic in 1790. You can't explain liberalism by contact with Protestant nations earlier than that, and even after that, we're speaking about 20 years, way too little to make such sweeping reforms even with British advisors.

It's likely from what I remember that British colonial control in India would be weakened due to that, and several areas would have defected to the Catholic French. Renegades converting to Islam would also be probably few and far in between.

I find it difficult to believe that a random European officer would be left to teach the heir to the throne, and you can't just handwave political liberalization based on the teachings of such a character. I'm also not particularly sure how one officer would help Shahrukh win against basically all of his realm, since passing sudden reforms like that would probably simply result in everyone turning against him.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 am

I have confidence that someone will review my application at some point in time.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 am

Northern Socialist Council Republics wrote:
Application

Full Nation Name: The official names of the country are Sambandsríki Norðurlýðveldanna (Scandinavian) and Pohjoismaiden neuvostotasavaltojen (Finnish). No official translations into non-native languages exist, but in English the Commonwealth in Hyperborea, adapted from the Ecclesial Latin name for the country, the Commonwealth of Northern Republics, an attempt at a direct translation from Scandinavian, and simply the Scandinavian Commonwealth are all commonly accepted in both popular and official discourse.

Conceptually, I absolutely love the app, there are two things that I'd like to be explained. Firstly is the transition from monarchies to the current system. Was there a weakening of royal power, or what specifically happened? What specifically led to the renouncing of the monarchic status, and what was it replaced with? And this transitions into the second thing, in that I'd like a little more details about how the state is run. Is the head of state elected or an inherited position, or is it something like Cromwell's position of Lord Protector? Similarly the State Council, is it elected, appointed? How did the local councils come to be, and who gets to be a part of them/vote in them?

The government system seems pretty interesting but the description is also a bit confusing.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 am

Tracian Empire wrote:-snip-

Application revised as requested; the substantive revisions are as follows:

Government Description: The Commonwealth has a unique model of governance which scholars call the autonomous-cooperative organisation model. The autonomous-cooperative organisation model does not recognise the government or the State as a separate entity distinct from the society over which it has authority. Therefore, in one sense the Commonwealth can be said to lack a government, while in another sense the Commonwealth can be said to have a State that controls everything. At the very foundation of Hyperborean society are the communal assemblies. Communal assemblies vary widely in their scopes: village councils might define their membership by geographic location, trade associations might define their membership by occupation, alumni clubs by educational attainment, sports teams, etc., etc. All communal assemblies hold regular meetings to which all members may attend and in which all members may speak, but beyond this very little can be said about the structure of these communal assemblies as a whole. Some are explicitly democratic, with leaders elected by popular support, some elect their leaders in byzantine and opaque procedures or have appointed leaders, and some even have hereditary positions. These communal assemblies are aggregated into larger organisations with a broader scope, with uncodified divisions of power between larger organisations and the smaller organisations that are its members; for example, a regional council might be composed of various village councils and trade associations. Ultimately, the Commonwealth is the overarching structure to which all of these organisations are subsidiaries. The Commonwealth recognises a legal leader, a Protector that is also customarily the First Speaker of her component Nations, who is nominated by a weighed vote of the State Council and serves for life. This State Council is composed of the leaders of the largest organisations that are direct vassals of the Commonwealth itself. The Protector of the Commonwealth is, however, an almost completely ceremonial position with little real power beyond unofficial influence, and the autonomous-cooperative organisations of the Commonwealth means that there is no single person that is clearly recognisable as the real leader of the Commonwealth.

[...]

History: [...] These adventurers also not only used their newfound wealth and influence to attain high positions in traditional Scandinavian society, but also upset the traditional structure of this society itself. Strong maritime interests meant that there were individuals in Scandinavia with the loyalty of many men that was not dependent on any noble status or land ownership. Consequently, Scandinavia never fully absorbed the feudal model of governance prevalent in Christian Europe, in which the social hierarchy was maintained by the granting of land rights by higher nobility to the lower in a tree-like hierarchical structure where each lord serves only one direct liege, but instead developed into a set of overlapping and informal societies with split loyalties.

[...] By this point, furthermore, Scandinavia had essentially functioned as a single well-integrated polity for centuries, and yet continued to maintain the legal fiction that it is a personal union of three fully independent kingdoms. Social unrest among the upper elite following the military disasters of the Burning Raven prompted the reorganisation of the country's leadership, changing its legal status and formal structure to better reflect the actual, de-facto status and structure of upper Scandinavian society. With the subsequent recognition of Finland as a fully equal member of this union, the three Scandinavian Kingdoms became the four Nations of the Commonwealth.

The general idea of this country, as expressed in EU4 idea groups: maritime, plutocratic, naval, trade, espionage, innovative, influence, and defensive. :p
Last edited by Northern Socialist Council Republics on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:06 am

Looks alright, accepted then

The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2015

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:20 am

Pretty miraculous, for a Pagan kingdom to survive in Christian Europe for this long while still retaining a formidable amount of power.
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:34 am

Tracian Empire wrote:Looks alright, accepted then

Thanks!

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Pretty miraculous, for a Pagan kingdom to survive in Christian Europe for this long while still retaining a formidable amount of power.

Being separated from the Continent by an easily-fortified chokepoint does help somewhat.

The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2015

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:35 am

Northern Socialist Council Republics wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:Looks alright, accepted then

Thanks!

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Pretty miraculous, for a Pagan kingdom to survive in Christian Europe for this long while still retaining a formidable amount of power.

Being separated from the Continent by an easily-fortified chokepoint does help somewhat.

Indeed I suppose
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse