NATION

PASSWORD

Home of The Brave: An 1960's Political RP (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Free Ward Marchers
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Home of The Brave: An 1960's Political RP (IC)

Postby Free Ward Marchers » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Home of The Brave

The 1960s U.S. Political RP

"On every side the wicked prowl, as vileness is exalted among the children of man."

Psalm 12:8

IOOCI

America. The birthplace of hope. The Birthplace of Freedom, Equality, The Pursuit of Happiness. Come along, as we watch America, and as we shape America. 1959, is the bridge, taking us from one decade to another. History is not yet determined, nor is it set in stone. We are entering into the decade of Peace, Love, and Rock and Roll. Vietnam is on the minds of every American, as well as the 1960 election.

Only YOU can shape America. America the beautiful, Congress the ugly. Will you be the next president? Will you be the next Senator of your state? Will you be the one to end segregation? Will you be the one to get our boys out of 'nam? You decide.

What is America? It is what you make of it. Now make a legend.
Senator Julie Littenbaum (D-WA)
Rep. Bobby Markoe (R-IL-15)

FREE THE UYGHURS, STOP CHINA

Social Democrat, Avid Marijuana Enthusiast, Proud Transgender Female, Gimme Healthcare Pls

Louisianan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Washington, D.C.

Address to the USA
January 1st, 1959

The new year had come, the Primaries were kicking off, and President Davis had decided to give out his yearly New Year address.

The lighting was perfect, the background was the Oval Office, and he was ready to speak to the American people,

"Americans, President Henry Davis speaking. I'd like to welcome all of you into this New Year, 1959. As the last year of this decade, we should think harder now, more than ever, as to what we want America to be. Do we want hip swingers, on our televisions? Broadcasting to the nation? What will be our new standards of decency, of morality? Music has always been a piece of our culture, but do we want to showcase indecent artists like the teen idol Elvis Presley, to the rest of the world?" President Davis clears his throat,

"Another, more pressing issue comes to mind as we think about this New Year, the Vietnam War. We entered Vietnam, knowing that it will be an easy and quick fight, and we plan on getting our boys back home by this summer. We plan on admitting Alaska to our Union, later this month, inviting more cultures, and inhabitants to enter, this beautiful country. I encourage all Americans, to accept new cultures, to help them thrive, to understand them. After all, we all want a piece of the American Dream."

"In the last year, we sent out our first satellite, established the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and according to our statistics, we shall be the first country on the moon by 1962. We've done our best in attempting to desegregate the Southern states. My favorite team, the New York Yankees, have finally won the World Series. We can only hope that our country pushes forward in this New Year, guided by the Lord above, and not by the greed from below."

"In this New Year, I plan on meeting with Khrushchev and continue my efforts at ending this Cold War. We shall work on our Scientific initiatives, we shall work on our Education programs, and focus heavily on our current infrastructure projects. We will continue our efforts on working with the South in our common goal, of calming racial tensions, and we will continue promoting the rights given to each of us, through the constitution of these United States."

"Americans will continue to strive for perfection as this decade comes to an end, and we will fight any terrors that greet us, foreign or domestic. We will get our boys back home once the fighting is done, we will legislate unto our common land, the laws that we determine, adequate of public usage, and we will continue to promote the American Dream that so many people have the privilege of enjoying. I leave you with these words, America. America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. That is who we are, and continue to be, Home of the Brave, thank you America for your time, this morning. Thank you, and God Bless."

The broadcast ends, leaving millions of viewers and listeners, both proud of their president, and honored to have him serve.

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 pm

Fred Stark's Residence
January 1st, 1959

Newly (re) elected Senator Stark sat down on his couch, taking a sip of his tea. He sat with his wife as he prepared to watch the President's New Year address before they took the train ride to D.C.

"Americans, President Henry Davis speaking. I'd like to welcome all of you into this New Year, 1959. As the last year of this decade, we should think harder now, more than ever, as to what we want America to be. Do we want hip swingers, on our televisions? Broadcasting to the nation? What will be our new standards of decency, of morality? Music has always been a piece of our culture, but do we want to showcase indecent artists like the teen idol Elvis Presley, to the rest of the world?"

Huh? Why open the address by slamming some singer? Stark didn't much care for the going-ons in pop culture, and it seemed odd to open an address like this during wartime to talk about celebrity morality. Well, that only minorly bothered Stark.

"Another, more pressing issue comes to mind as we think about this New Year, the Vietnam War. We entered Vietnam, knowing that it will be an easy and quick fight, and we plan on getting our boys back home by this summer.

Hopefully that would be true. Yes, everyone knew that the United States military was more than capable of taking on such a small foe, but could they really be too sure? Ho Chi Minh's army was certainly determined to put up a fight. Well, he personally knew the strength of America in war, so both he and the President shared optimism in victory.

We plan on admitting Alaska to our Union, later this month, inviting more cultures, and inhabitants to enter, this beautiful country. I encourage all Americans, to accept new cultures, to help them thrive, to understand them. After all, we all want a piece of the American Dream."

Stark nodded. Alaska deserved a right to statehood, and he was very happy when the vote to admit them passed. Calling for an acceptance of diversity was a good move on the President's part, in Stark's opinion. He commanded great respect amongst most Americans, and they would surely listen to his message, although getting through those thick southern skulls would likely be a different story.

"In the last year, we sent out our first satellite, established the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and according to our statistics, we shall be the first country on the moon by 1962.

And Stark would be very proud to see it. The space race was an essential frontier in the new phase of the Cold War, and Stark was happy to see Davis committed to American success in space.

We've done our best in attempting to desegregate the Southern states.

Stark smiled. Davis could partially thank him for that. His work as Attorney General to push desegregation had certainly left its mark, no matter the moaning from the southerners. It would still take a lot of work to end segregation for good, however. Stark was determined to see it through.

My favorite team, the New York Yankees, have finally won the World Series.

Tri-State represent!

We can only hope that our country pushes forward in this New Year, guided by the Lord above, and not by the greed from below."

A statement everyone could get behind.

"In this New Year, I plan on meeting with Khrushchev and continue my efforts at ending this Cold War.

Stark trusted Davis on that matter. The United States needed the upper hand, but he and many hoped to see the conflict resolved without war. The odds of that happening were incredibly small, though.

We shall work on our Scientific initiatives, we shall work on our Education programs, and focus heavily on our current infrastructure projects.

And Stark would certainly be working on that in the Senate.

We will continue our efforts on working with the South in our common goal, of calming racial tensions, and we will continue promoting the rights given to each of us, through the constitution of these United States."

Did they really have a common goal, though? the South had always seemed more interested in dragging their feet and escalating things rather than calm down. He hoped Davis wasn't being naive and just bringing a unifying message.

"Americans will continue to strive for perfection as this decade comes to an end, and we will fight any terrors that greet us, foreign or domestic. We will get our boys back home once the fighting is done, we will legislate unto our common land, the laws that we determine, adequate of public usage, and we will continue to promote the American Dream that so many people have the privilege of enjoying. I leave you with these words, America. America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. That is who we are, and continue to be, Home of the Brave, thank you America for your time, this morning. Thank you, and God Bless."

God bless indeed. Stark turned off the TV following the end of the address. Helen spoke up. "Are you feeling good about working with him again?"

Stark nodded to his wife in affirmation. "Certainly. We'll get things done, then we gotta worry about that damn election." He crossed his arms as he thought to himself.

Helen perked up. "You know I'll support you if you run, Fred. I think you'd be an outstanding President." That earned a smile from the Senator-elect, who set down his tea cup carefully.

"I believe I'll run in the end. It'll be tough, but you know I'm concerned about less than desirable forces taking hold of the White House. Those southern Democrats really just don't give a damn about 'unity' and 'country', they just want to fight over Black rights all the time. It's frustrating to see. Those conservatives, too..." He sighed. "I know I'm preaching to the choir, though. Now, we don't want to be late for the train. Let's get moving."
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Washington, D.C.

Davis' Meeting With Senator Fred Stark
January 1, 1959

As the President waited on the Re-Elected Senator to arrive, Henry Davis sent a telegram to one of the possible Republican candidates, that would probably decide to run,

General Jonathan Jackson. I understand that you're interested in my job. Give in touch sometime. Call or pass by the WH.

After sending the telegram with a carrier, Henry sat at his desk and placed all of his nicknacks in their proper places. As he waited for the re-elected Senator, he whistled Yankee Doodle, and tapped his fingers on the desk, while he finalized some of Alaska's paperwork.

Jovuistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:29 pm

Louisianan wrote:

Washington, D.C.

January 1, 1959

(Image)

As the President waited on the Re-Elected Senator to arrive, Henry Davis sent a telegram to one of the possible Republican candidates, that would probably decide to run,

General Jonathan Jackson. I understand that you're interested in my job. Give in touch sometime. Call or pass by the WH.

After sending the telegram with a carrier, Henry sat at his desk and placed all of his nicknacks in their proper places. As he waited for the re-elected Senator, he whistled Yankee Doodle, and tapped his fingers on the desk, while he finalized some of Alaska's paperwork.

The train had arrived in Washington just in time for the meeting. Senator-elect Stark walked at a brisk pace to the Oval Office. He entered, ready to meet with the President for the first time in over a year.

"Mr. President!" He exclaimed. "it's great to get to meet with you again. How have things been lately? Is Alaska ready to go?"
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
Louisianan wrote:

Washington, D.C.

January 1, 1959

(Image)

The train had arrived in Washington just in time for the meeting. Senator-elect Stark walked at a brisk pace to the Oval Office. He entered, ready to meet with the President for the first time in over a year.

"Mr. President!" He exclaimed. "it's great to get to meet with you again. How have things been lately? Is Alaska ready to go?"

Henry stood and shook the Senators hand, "Fine, just fine. Alaska is getting there, we hope to admit it in a few days. We're going to have news crews here, a few Alaskans, and a few other people. Please, please, sit down. I was delighted to hear about the results of your election, and I forgot to add congratulations to the winners of all of the elections in my New Years' address, but know that I was rooting for you since the start." Henry sat down and opened a box, revealing cigars, "Straight from Cuba, would you like one?"

Jovuistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Jovuistan wrote:The train had arrived in Washington just in time for the meeting. Senator-elect Stark walked at a brisk pace to the Oval Office. He entered, ready to meet with the President for the first time in over a year.

Henry stood and shook the Senators hand, "Fine, just fine. Alaska is getting there, we hope to admit it in a few days. We're going to have news crews here, a few Alaskans, and a few other people. Please, please, sit down. I was delighted to hear about the results of your election, and I forgot to add congratulations to the winners of all of the elections in my New Years' address, but know that I was rooting for you since the start." Henry sat down and opened a box, revealing cigars, "Straight from Cuba, would you like one?"

Stark smiled. "We fought a hard campaign out there. I'm honored that New Jersey re-elected me. Thanks for your support, Mr. President." He sat down, eyeing the box of cigars. "Oh, certainly." He took one out and immediately took a puff. He sighed. "Now that's the good stuff."
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
Louisianan wrote:Henry stood and shook the Senators hand, "Fine, just fine. Alaska is getting there, we hope to admit it in a few days. We're going to have news crews here, a few Alaskans, and a few other people. Please, please, sit down. I was delighted to hear about the results of your election, and I forgot to add congratulations to the winners of all of the elections in my New Years' address, but know that I was rooting for you since the start." Henry sat down and opened a box, revealing cigars, "Straight from Cuba, would you like one?"

Stark smiled. "We fought a hard campaign out there. I'm honored that New Jersey re-elected me. Thanks for your support, Mr. President." He sat down, eyeing the box of cigars. "Oh, certainly." He took one out and immediately took a puff. He sighed. "Now that's the good stuff."

"I know, only the best for the Commander in Chief. I don't smoke these, they're for guests, I normally just stick with my pipe." The elder man said as he put the cigars back into his desk before taking out a pipe, pre-stuffed, "So," the man began as he put the pipe in his mouth, "What'd you think about the New Years' address? I had a lot more to say this year than last year, and I wrote the whole thing myself, edited by some staffers of course." The president lit his pipe and began to smoke,

Jovuistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:45 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Jovuistan wrote:Stark smiled. "We fought a hard campaign out there. I'm honored that New Jersey re-elected me. Thanks for your support, Mr. President." He sat down, eyeing the box of cigars. "Oh, certainly." He took one out and immediately took a puff. He sighed. "Now that's the good stuff."

"I know, only the best for the Commander in Chief. I don't smoke these, they're for guests, I normally just stick with my pipe." The elder man said as he put the cigars back into his desk before taking out a pipe, pre-stuffed, "So," the man began as he put the pipe in his mouth, "What'd you think about the New Years' address? I had a lot more to say this year than last year, and I wrote the whole thing myself, edited by some staffers of course." The president lit his pipe and began to smoke,

"I think it was excellent, personally. A good unifying message in these troubled times. I just hope it'll resonate with the more... rowdy types in Congress." He put the cigar back in his mouth, thinking to himself.
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
Louisianan wrote:"I know, only the best for the Commander in Chief. I don't smoke these, they're for guests, I normally just stick with my pipe." The elder man said as he put the cigars back into his desk before taking out a pipe, pre-stuffed, "So," the man began as he put the pipe in his mouth, "What'd you think about the New Years' address? I had a lot more to say this year than last year, and I wrote the whole thing myself, edited by some staffers of course." The president lit his pipe and began to smoke,

"I think it was excellent, personally. A good unifying message in these troubled times. I just hope it'll resonate with the more... rowdy types in Congress." He put the cigar back in his mouth, thinking to himself.

"You mean the 'Good Ole Boys'? They need to whip into shape and do it quick. The next president is going to have to do a lot of reconstruction with those relationships and House or Senate seats because the race problem ain't going away anytime soon." Henry sighed, "I just wish it hadn't got to the point that it did with Little Rock."

Jovuistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Jovuistan wrote:"I think it was excellent, personally. A good unifying message in these troubled times. I just hope it'll resonate with the more... rowdy types in Congress." He put the cigar back in his mouth, thinking to himself.

"You mean the 'Good Ole Boys'? They need to whip into shape and do it quick. The next president is going to have to do a lot of reconstruction with those relationships and House or Senate seats because the race problem ain't going away anytime soon." Henry sighed, "I just wish it hadn't got to the point that it did with Little Rock."

Stark looked down at the floor. "You did what you had to do. This whole race question needs some kind of resolution soon, I fear what may happen if it doesn't..." He puffed.

"They obviously despise me after what I did as Attorney General, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to when I'm back at it in the Senate. Hopefully I can figure out a way to smooth things over with them."
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
Louisianan wrote:"You mean the 'Good Ole Boys'? They need to whip into shape and do it quick. The next president is going to have to do a lot of reconstruction with those relationships and House or Senate seats because the race problem ain't going away anytime soon." Henry sighed, "I just wish it hadn't got to the point that it did with Little Rock."

Stark looked down at the floor. "You did what you had to do. This whole race question needs some kind of resolution soon, I fear what may happen if it doesn't..." He puffed.

"They obviously despise me after what I did as Attorney General, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to when I'm back at it in the Senate. Hopefully I can figure out a way to smooth things over with them."

"Well, you do what you have to do. The 60s are coming up, and they're coming up pretty fast, which means the election is coming up too, so lets hope they get voted out. If I could, I'd run again but I think it's taken a toll on me and I really suggest that if you want to run for president, then you make sure it's the last job you have. No clue how Roosevelt did it, good thing they made that amendment." Davis laughed, "Speaking of the election, do you have any whims to try and take my job?"

Jovuistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Jovuistan wrote:Stark looked down at the floor. "You did what you had to do. This whole race question needs some kind of resolution soon, I fear what may happen if it doesn't..." He puffed.

"Well, you do what you have to do. The 60s are coming up, and they're coming up pretty fast, which means the election is coming up too, so lets hope they get voted out. If I could, I'd run again but I think it's taken a toll on me and I really suggest that if you want to run for president, then you make sure it's the last job you have. No clue how Roosevelt did it, good thing they made that amendment." Davis laughed, "Speaking of the election, do you have any whims to try and take my job?"

Stark nodded slowly. "I'm strongly considering it. Nothing is final until later, of course, but I believe I have what it takes to take the reins come '61. I know you don't plan on picking sides in the primary, but just know that I would keep up the work you've been doing if I do end up in that chair. We just have to keep it away from the Democrats, first of all."
Die nasty!!111

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Jovuistan wrote:
Louisianan wrote:"Well, you do what you have to do. The 60s are coming up, and they're coming up pretty fast, which means the election is coming up too, so lets hope they get voted out. If I could, I'd run again but I think it's taken a toll on me and I really suggest that if you want to run for president, then you make sure it's the last job you have. No clue how Roosevelt did it, good thing they made that amendment." Davis laughed, "Speaking of the election, do you have any whims to try and take my job?"

Stark nodded slowly. "I'm strongly considering it. Nothing is final until later, of course, but I believe I have what it takes to take the reins come '61. I know you don't plan on picking sides in the primary, but just know that I would keep up the work you've been doing if I do end up in that chair. We just have to keep it away from the Democrats, first of all."

"You're right about that....right about that indeed. They'll be attacking us on every end, from the minor recession last year, to Vietnam, to Russia, to everything else under God's green earth. Hell, I remember they attacked some Representatives on my frequent fishing or golfing trips. Our candidates will have to stand strong, no buckling under pressure, use our qualifications against the ones that we tower over." Henry shook his head, "No buckling, none at all..."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am

| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Louisianan wrote:

Washington, D.C.

January 1, 1959

(Image)

Jonathan was most intrigued when he received the telegram from the President - of course, he and the President went back a long time ago. Davis was one of his chief military aides when he was Chief of Staff of the United States Army and had followed him in the Philippines when he was advisor to the then President Manuel Quezon. Both men knew each other well. Yet, it had been some time since they had last spoke.

Jonathan went to his study. He approached his long desk made of soft wood. Upon it were papers, pens, a black rotary phone and a cup of tea from last night. The general cleared his desk from all unnecessary items and sat on the wooden chair. He grabbed the phone and called the President.

"Hello, Mr. President," Jonathan said; he was always formal, even with people he knew for ages. "I received your telegram. I understand that you want to speak with me about the Republican primaries."
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Louisianan wrote:

Washington, D.C.

January 1, 1959

(Image)

Jonathan was most intrigued when he received the telegram from the President - of course, he and the President went back a long time ago. Davis was one of his chief military aides when he was Chief of Staff of the United States Army and had followed him in the Philippines when he was advisor to the then President Manuel Quezon. Both men knew each other well. Yet, it had been some time since they had last spoke.

Jonathan went to his study. He approached his long desk made of soft wood. Upon it were papers, pens, a black rotary phone and a cup of tea from last night. The general cleared his desk from all unnecessary items and sat on the wooden chair. He grabbed the phone and called the President.

"Hello, Mr. President," Jonathan said; he was always formal, even with people he knew for ages. "I received your telegram. I understand that you want to speak with me about the Republican primaries."

After the Meeting With Senator Stark

President Davis was had finished speaking with Senator Stark for a while and he had decided to watch a little bit of television. He turned on the show, You Bet Your Life, with Groucho Marx, but before he could get into it, his phone rang.

"Oh hello, General!" Davis answered as he heard the all-familiar voice, "Yes, yes indeed. I heard tell that you may be joining said primaries. Is this true?" Davis asked as he sipped some freshly poured Cognac from a little glass,

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

After the Meeting With Senator Stark

President Davis was had finished speaking with Senator Stark for a while and he had decided to watch a little bit of television. He turned on the show, You Bet Your Life, with Groucho Marx, but before he could get into it, his phone rang.

"Oh hello, General!" Davis answered as he heard the all-familiar voice, "Yes, yes indeed. I heard tell that you may be joining said primaries. Is this true?" Davis asked as he sipped some freshly poured Cognac from a little glass,

"It's indeed true," Jonathan admitted. "As you know, we've had our ideological differences and I do plan on running a more conservative campaign. However, you can rest assured I won't be doing anything that would jeopardize the unity of the party or give Democrats an opening to attack your administration."
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:50 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Louisianan wrote:After the Meeting With Senator Stark

"It's indeed true," Jonathan admitted. "As you know, we've had our ideological differences and I do plan on running a more conservative campaign. However, you can rest assured I won't be doing anything that would jeopardize the unity of the party or give Democrats an opening to attack your administration."

'Damn, just what I was afraid of,' Henry thought before he spoke, "I see, you'll have to campaign long and hard General, I won't be lending a hand out to any of the Republicans this primary, god knows there's a lot of you. What's your strategy, your platform? I don't think our party can afford a push further to the right if that's your goal. Not while we continue to have the issues down south. Can't afford it....just plain can't afford it, General."

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:58 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

'Damn, just what I was afraid of,' Henry thought before he spoke, "I see, you'll have to campaign long and hard General, I won't be lending a hand out to any of the Republicans this primary, god knows there's a lot of you. What's your strategy, your platform? I don't think our party can afford a push further to the right if that's your goal. Not while we continue to have the issues down south. Can't afford it....just plain can't afford it, General."

"I will be running on pushing back on some of the excesses of New Deal; we need to lower somewhat our tax rates. I will also be running on a strong anti-communist platform and on expanding our participation in Vietnam; we need to win this war, and in order to do so, we need to take the fight to the north. On the civil rights issue, I believe we need to find a middle ground that satisfies all sides and does not fracture the unity of our nation. Do not worry, I do not plan on making statements that could allow our opponents to paint us as extremists."
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Louisianan wrote:'Damn, just what I was afraid of,' Henry thought before he spoke, "I see, you'll have to campaign long and hard General, I won't be lending a hand out to any of the Republicans this primary, god knows there's a lot of you. What's your strategy, your platform? I don't think our party can afford a push further to the right if that's your goal. Not while we continue to have the issues down south. Can't afford it....just plain can't afford it, General."

"I will be running on pushing back on some of the excesses of New Deal; we need to lower somewhat our tax rates. I will also be running on a strong anti-communist platform and on expanding our participation in Vietnam; we need to win this war, and in order to do so, we need to take the fight to the north. On the civil rights issue, I believe we need to find a middle ground that satisfies all sides and does not fracture the unity of our nation. Do not worry, I do not plan on making statements that could allow our opponents to paint us as extremists."

Henry sighed, "I guess, since you're a military man, I assume you remember how to keep confidential points to yourself so I'll tell you the truth. In my new year's address, I said we'd be out of 'Nam by summer, that wasn't really true, it looks like we'll be there for a lot longer than we expected. They have a large home-field advantage, but we can't leave now, we'd look weak. We'll win the war, no doubt about it, it just may take a little while." Henry sipped his glass, "No doubt about it General, no doubt at all. Now I will say, I have no clue how you plan on finding common ground with the likes of Senator Sharp still in congress. If it was up to him and the rest of Mississippi, we'd return to plantation lifestyles. Look at what happened to little boy Till in '55. Shameful, general. Shameful. "

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

Henry sighed, "I guess, since you're a military man, I assume you remember how to keep confidential points to yourself so I'll tell you the truth. In my new year's address, I said we'd be out of 'Nam by summer, that wasn't really true, it looks like we'll be there for a lot longer than we expected. They have a large home-field advantage, but we can't leave now, we'd look weak. We'll win the war, no doubt about it, it just may take a little while." Henry sipped his glass, "No doubt about it General, no doubt at all. Now I will say, I have no clue how you plan on finding common ground with the likes of Senator Sharp still in congress. If it was up to him and the rest of Mississippi, we'd return to plantation lifestyles. Look at what happened to little boy Till in '55. Shameful, general. Shameful. "

Jonathan nodded as the President explained to him the military situation. "If we could beat the Japs, we can beat the Vietnamese too. It won't be easy, but we'll do it. As far as civil rights are concerned, I won't be addressing much the issue on campaign. I believe we need a bipartisan agreement, and one that both Southerners and Northerners can agree on. Endorsing one position or the other will simply sidetrack us from what really matters: the communist threat. The two pills of my campaign will be a hawkish policy with regards to Vietnam - and the Commies in general - and a reduction in taxes. With that kind of agenda, we can get conservative Democrats on our side too, especially if Democrats pander to their liberal wing. At the same time, I'll be careful not to alienate moderates. I am confident we can built a coalition of Republicans and conservative Democrats that will grant us a big victory."
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Louisianan wrote:Henry sighed, "I guess, since you're a military man, I assume you remember how to keep confidential points to yourself so I'll tell you the truth. In my new year's address, I said we'd be out of 'Nam by summer, that wasn't really true, it looks like we'll be there for a lot longer than we expected. They have a large home-field advantage, but we can't leave now, we'd look weak. We'll win the war, no doubt about it, it just may take a little while." Henry sipped his glass, "No doubt about it General, no doubt at all. Now I will say, I have no clue how you plan on finding common ground with the likes of Senator Sharp still in congress. If it was up to him and the rest of Mississippi, we'd return to plantation lifestyles. Look at what happened to little boy Till in '55. Shameful, general. Shameful. "

Jonathan nodded as the President explained to him the military situation. "If we could beat the Japs, we can beat the Vietnamese too. It won't be easy, but we'll do it. As far as civil rights are concerned, I won't be addressing much the issue on campaign. I believe we need a bipartisan agreement, and one that both Southerners and Northerners can agree on. Endorsing one position or the other will simply sidetrack us from what really matters: the communist threat. The two pills of my campaign will be a hawkish policy with regards to Vietnam - and the Commies in general - and a reduction in taxes. With that kind of agenda, we can get conservative Democrats on our side too, especially if Democrats pander to their liberal wing. At the same time, I'll be careful not to alienate moderates. I am confident we can built a coalition of Republicans and conservative Democrats that will grant us a big victory."

"Possibly, but as I said, I can't lend my support or swing my might political hammer in the primary. The Vice President might run, a few Senators as well, and then you, so I don't feel comfortable doing anything too major. The communists are a major threat at the moment and I think the harder you campaign on getting them off of the world leaderboard, the more likely you are to ally yourself with the good ole boys down south, so that's a uniting platform." Henry sipped some more, before speaking in a more casual tone, "Anyway, enough about all that crap. How've you been old man?"

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:12 pm

Louisianan wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

"Possibly, but as I said, I can't lend my support or swing my might political hammer in the primary. The Vice President might run, a few Senators as well, and then you, so I don't feel comfortable doing anything too major. The communists are a major threat at the moment and I think the harder you campaign on getting them off of the world leaderboard, the more likely you are to ally yourself with the good ole boys down south, so that's a uniting platform." Henry sipped some more, before speaking in a more casual tone, "Anyway, enough about all that crap. How've you been old man?"

"A bit tired but overall good," Jonathan admitted. "Organizing a run for president isn't an easy thing to pull off, but I assume you already know this... But I'm still doing it; you know me, old age isn't going to stop me from doing something I want to do." Jonathan was silent for a few seconds. "I do wonder, do you ever miss the life in the military? I hope I am not the only one to reminisce of those times from time to time."
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Louisianan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Louisianan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Louisianan wrote:"Possibly, but as I said, I can't lend my support or swing my might political hammer in the primary. The Vice President might run, a few Senators as well, and then you, so I don't feel comfortable doing anything too major. The communists are a major threat at the moment and I think the harder you campaign on getting them off of the world leaderboard, the more likely you are to ally yourself with the good ole boys down south, so that's a uniting platform." Henry sipped some more, before speaking in a more casual tone, "Anyway, enough about all that crap. How've you been old man?"

"A bit tired but overall good," Jonathan admitted. "Organizing a run for president isn't an easy thing to pull off, but I assume you already know this... But I'm still doing it; you know me, old age isn't going to stop me from doing something I want to do." Jonathan was silent for a few seconds. "I do wonder, do you ever miss the life in the military? I hope I am not the only one to reminisce of those times from time to time."

"Do I miss waking up in the morning at 5 O'Clock, making my bed, ironing my clothes, shining my boots, hiking with twenty pounds on my back, eating gruel for breakfast and supper, and then working out? Absolutely not," The President laughed, "but that was at the beginning before I got used to it, but towards the end of my career I loved it, the first day in the Army was the hardest and so was the last. I honestly didn't want to run for the top job, but I was assured that it was the best decision, and I still think it was. I do miss the comradery, the jovial yells after we finished those hikes, the pride I felt after I shined those boots, the grit I got after eating that gruel, and the respect I got from making that bed. That's, what I miss, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I disliked being a private, but I loved rising in the ranks, and getting the respect that I worked for all of those years."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse