NATION

PASSWORD

A Different World: The Noble Cities [OOC|Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 pm

City State Application
Name: Aled Aedryn
Leader: Ithel Brigantia
Short History: With a knowledge made wider by her illustrious forbearers, the Aederfolk made the transition from savages to city dwellers. In the home of their ancestors the Aederfolk erected the city of Dol Aelyd. With fine homes and prosperity, Dol Aelyd is contented and well situated as the center of Aeder culture. Following the sledge paths West lays the troublesome mountain settlement of Dol Angren. In recent years the city has had reason to quarrel with her sister city of Dol Aelyd over mismanagement of resources. These tensions have been quieted for now by hefty investment from the Lowlander Aederfolk. Going into this new age the Aederfolk are led by Brigantia, Chief of Dol Aelyd.
Starting Location: Dol Aelyd (Aederfolk starting location)
Advantage: Do we pick a new one?
Last edited by Elerian on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Finished my app!

The National Dominion of Hungary
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The National Dominion of Hungary » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 am

City State Application

Name: The Kingdom of Penithel.

Leader: King Vinlaan of the Ahvanid Bloodline, Second of his Name, Shield of Penithel and Protector of the Realm.

Short History: The Pennenthelli claim their descent from Ahvun's Blood, telling the story of their ancestors who migrated from the southern woodlands only to settle in the warm riverlands they now call home. Their city rose in a land where pine trees grow and sweet berries can be found in great abundance along with flaxen stalks near the waters of the river. Corn brought from their long-standing partners in trade, the Rivermen of the north is now grown in the land of the Kingdom, providing food. To the north where the river bends and meets the sea lies what is known as the Old Homeland. The Old Homeland is filled with Copper and red glittering Rubies washing downstream from some far-away place however, one must beware the deadly night-serpents that call the river home, easily dragging the unaware into the waters to be consumed under the moon's pale gaze. For a very long time the Pennenthelli lived out quiet lives along the winding great river which cut across the plains, until they met other peoples such as the Riverlanders whom they grew close with and battled alongside or the Niari with whom relations have been more strained. A small warrior class has emerged from these conflict but the Pennenthelli boast no great army, more a tribal warband clad in boiled leather reinforced with copper scales and wielding bows and copper-tipped spears mustering on the king's call. Indeed, copper tools and weapons are common among them, as are other copper goods but not only that, the Pennenthelli are known as skilled craftsmen, with their pottery, leather products and ruby-studded jewelry known across the local trade routes. Ruled by an emerging philosopher-aristocracy that historians much later called the formative period of the part priesthood and part landowning nobility that developed in later Penithel. The Pennenthelli have begun looking much more outward from their previous home, establishing trade and even raiding. Only mighty Hyrean, King of the Gods, the River-Father knows what the future has in store for his people in this time of change.

Starting Location: Riverland spot on the map, the post-migration homeland from previous RP.

Advantage: Craftsmanship.
Last edited by The National Dominion of Hungary on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plotek i medialnych bredni nie daj sobie wmówić,
Codziennie się rozwijaj i nie daj się ogłupić,
Atakowi propagandy stawiaj czoło dzielnie,
Nie daj sobą sterować i myśl samodzielnie.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a solid 7/10. Deal with it.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 am

Mkay, let's see here.

The GAmeTopians wrote:City State Application
Name: The Republic of the Great River
Leader: First Speaker Anders Shoreblessed
Short History: The Riverlanders have had a long and troubled past, full of conflict and turmoil, but now they stand strong under a new banner - a banner of democracy and unity, prosperity and strength. Their agrarian roots have strengthened into an institution the likes of which the world has never before seen!
Starting Location: N/A
Advantage: N/A

This looks quite fine to me. J'accept. I'll kick you over your things and put you on the accepted list in a jiff.

Olthenia wrote:
City State Application

Name: Sorrowfree
Leader: Bindag mo Hyan, Speaker of the Mother-Moon.
Short History: "Happy are those who in the garden dwell; for they are never in want of water."

So begins the first stanza of the great dream-poem Ykka's Lament; a composition much treasured amongst the Khortuun. As well it ought to be, some might say - for it is the Khortuun themselves that Ykka describe. Theirs is a people ancient in history and great in pride - and as old, certainly, as the desert by which their city sprawls. Sheltered as it is in the rocky arms of the Vale of Ustar, the Khortuun have made their city a garden in the wasteland; a green and fecund jewel when all about them is scorched and lifeless. They call it 'Sorrowfree' - and the name is not unfitting. Their houses climb the canyon walls in tiers like a giant's staircase, and clever canals hacked from the rock itself lead cooling springs to hidden reservoirs. Who, then, would not take pride in such achievements? Only fools and madwomen, maintain the Khortuun - neither of which applies to them. But more, of course, could also be said of the Canyon-Dwellers. The intricacies of their matriarchal government could fill many a treatise, to be certain - as could a scholar's look on their agricultural practices. Their would-be guardians, the sand-riding Bonadar, are also worthy of note; not to mention the cult of the Mother-Moon, said to be worshiped by masked and nude dancers in torch-lit ceremonies. Who drink men's seed. And bleed blood as black as night. And-

. . .

But this is not the place for such details. Oh, no. For now - it must suffice to state as follows: the Khortuun are.

Starting Location: The mouth of the Vale of Ustar, on the edge of the Nedjev desert.
Advantage: Camels.

I like these names, and the city name. Also accepted.

Novas Arcanum wrote:City State Application
Name:The Shao Dynasty
Leader: King Wei Liang
Short History:The first dynasty to arise from the lifegiving Yu River. The Shao are ruled by a tribal king who claims the right to rule from Heaven itself through an idea known as Tianming. The idea of the Mandate is itself in it's infancy and not fully developed but it is believed that Heaven grants favor to good rulers who bring harmony and prosperity to the land. The Shao Dynasty has been prosperous thus far, having invested in a mighty army to protect itself from violent barbarians and standing stalwart against villainous Xianbei (northerners) who threatened Zhai Cheng in years past.
Starting Location:The mouth of the Yu River.
Advantage:Power of Myriads.

I TGed you about the Advantage, but one thing to note - which perhaps everyone should note - is that Governance is its own thing here. Unless otherwise noted (like in the case of the Riverlanders), your cities are still laboring under an ad hoc tribal chieftain system of governance, and have yet to transition to anything more complex. King Wei Liang isn't wielding hereditary power yet, or, likely, the Mandate of Heaven. You've noted this in your app, but I would just like to clarify.

Anyway, that's not a huge deal - just something to keep in mind in the IC. J'accept.

Lazarian wrote:City State Application

Name: The Sons of Corvus

Leader: Corran Tribelord Sharpeye

Short History:

The city-state of Corvus originated from a single patriarch, Corvus the Great, who dared to depart from his original tribe upon the eve of its collapse. He spoke to his children of a prophetic dream - of a land filled with riches and prosperity, one where their children would not have to suffer through the barbaric strife which permeated their lives. And thus, in the dark depths of the night, he slipped away with his sons and their families, embarking on a journey off into the unknown.

Though Corvus himself passed away into the afterlife to join his ancestors during their journey, his prophecy came true. Upon the other side of the mountain range laid a vast plains, unoccupied by any other men. It was one which held the promise of stability and satiation - oceans of grain, a hill dotted with yams like stars in the sky, and great herds of gazelles which traversed these plains. Atop the tallest hill in the region, the sons and daughters of Corvus laid their claim to civilization. Dugout shelters were carved into the rock, plots of food set into the earth, and pillars honoring the spirits erected.

Many early years were difficult, but the tribe persisted, exploring out into the world and meeting many other kindreds. Some emerged as friends, such as the enigmatic and mysterious Desert Men and the industrious and crafty Aederfolk. Relations turned sour with others, such as the populous Huang and the barbaric Nanfang. Regardless, after fifty years, the Corvidian people had seen enough of the world around them, and turned inwards, seeking to focus on the well-being of their own.

Over the following years, goats were captured and tamed, roads were stamped into place, and greedy and foolish bandits were ruthlessly scourged from the lands with greatly appreciated assistance from the Bonadar. The Sons of Corvus have known great prosperity and comfort in their dugout city, with famine and war being remnants of a past long gone.

But many years have passed since then. And in recent years, the spirits have spoken through dreams, signs, and prophecy - all pointing to a single direction. It is time for the Corvidians to turn back to the outward world. Content with the state of their hilltop city and the well-being of their people, they are ready to face whatever dangers lurk beyond their beloved homeland. It is time to arise. It is time to prepare.

It is time to set forth and capture destiny in their hands once more!

Starting Location: Atop a mighty hill in the midst of rolling acres of grain, set in betwixt a vast sea to the West and the Spine of the World to the East.

Advantage: A powerful mastery of Soulstone (Bronze), excellent agricultural production, fanged kinspirits, and good diplomatic relations.

Tre bien - J'accept.

The National Dominion of Hungary wrote:City State Application

Name: The Kingdom of Penithel.

Leader: King Vinlaan of the Ahvanid Bloodline, Second of his Name, Shield of Penithel and Protector of the Realm.

Short History: The Pennenthelli claim their descent from Ahvun's Blood, telling the story of their ancestors who migrated from the southern woodlands only to settle in the warm riverlands they now call home. Their city rose in a land where pine trees grow and copper can be found in great abundance along with glittering rubies in the waters of the river, washing downstream from some far-away place. Corn brought from their long-standing partners in trade, the Rivermen of the north is now grown in the land of the Kingdom, providing food, however, one must beware the deadly night-serpents that call the river home, easily dragging the unaware into the waters to be consumed under the moon's pale gaze. For a very long time the Pennenthelli lived out quiet lives along the winding great river which cut across the plains, until they met other peoples such as the Riverlanders whom they grew close with and battled alongside or the Niari with whom relations have been more strained. A small warrior class has emerged from these conflict but the Pennenthelli boast no great army, more a tribal warband clad in boiled leather reinforced with copper scales and wielding bows and copper-tipped spears mustering on the king's call. Indeed, copper tools and weapons are common among them, as are other copper goods but not only that, the Pennenthelli are known as skilled craftsmen, with their pottery, leather products and ruby-studded jewelry known across the local trade routes. Ruled by a philosopher-aristocracy that historians much later called part priesthood and part landowning nobility, the Pennenthelli have begun looking much more outward from their previous home, establishing trade and even raiding. Only mighty Hyrean, King of the Gods, the River-Father knows what the future has in store for his people in this time of change.

Starting Location: Riverland spot on the map, original homeland from previous RP.

Advantage: Craftsmanship.

This is largely good, though as I noted to Novas, a hereditary monarchy isn't something that will have developed yet - though you can certainly change that. Otherwise, j'accept.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 am

Ah, I missed this when it came out.

The Nirari are here. I'll get to work on an app as soon as I can.
National Information: http://kutath.weebly.com/

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:00 am

Nuxipal wrote:Ah, I missed this when it came out.

The Nirari are here. I'll get to work on an app as soon as I can.

Apologies. I was still chewing through the OOC yesterday when people just started showing up, and I didn't realize I hadn't formally posted the transition.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:16 am

Huh cities are much smaller this iteration then the last

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:02 am

Novas Arcanum wrote:Huh cities are much smaller this iteration then the last

Didn't you have like 10 or so people? Why don't people have 8-1000 people?
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:05 am

Ralnis wrote:
Novas Arcanum wrote:Huh cities are much smaller this iteration then the last

Didn't you have like 10 or so people? Why don't people have 8-1000 people?

Zhai Cheng last era had 26 people after four of the settlers left to find Zhongdu.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:05 am

Novas Arcanum wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Didn't you have like 10 or so people? Why don't people have 8-1000 people?

Zhai Cheng last era had 26 people after four of the settlers left to find Zhongdu.

Oof, I wonder why everyone is having 500 or so people now.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:11 am

Oof indeed if I had known in the end that most settlements would have the same population regardless of one's efforts to grow their population I would've focused on other things.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:18 am

Novas Arcanum wrote:Oof indeed if I had known in the end that most settlements would have the same population regardless of one's efforts to grow their population I would've focused on other things.

I don't know if it's everyone but I saw you and Othemia so I'm thinking it would also happen to others as well.

Lazarian
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lazarian » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 am

Ralnis wrote:
Novas Arcanum wrote:

Oof, I wonder why everyone is having 500 or so people now.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:34 am

The baseline was 5 tribesmen = 100 citizens. But, as might be expected, many people with smaller populations decided to focus on growth.

The average amount of people is 500, hence why new city-states with slightly less. But there's a pretty high variance. Some settlements have 700 people, some have 200.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 am

Heh was still expecting cities to be much bigger even the smaller ones.
EDIT: Not complaining just a curious difference between this iteration and the last one.
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 am

Novas Arcanum wrote:Heh was still expecting cities to be much bigger even the smaller ones.
EDIT: Not complaining just a curious difference between this iteration and the last one.

Yep. The reworked system relies less on massed labor and more on wise decisions. It should be easier to get into, and easier for me to track too.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:07 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:The baseline was 5 tribesmen = 100 citizens. But, as might be expected, many people with smaller populations decided to focus on growth.

The average amount of people is 500, hence why new city-states with slightly less. But there's a pretty high variance. Some settlements have 700 people, some have 200.

So your saying I have 130 people?

Elerian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Elerian » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am

Finished my app at the top of the page.

The National Dominion of Hungary
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The National Dominion of Hungary » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:20 am

Okay fixed the app up a bit

Plotek i medialnych bredni nie daj sobie wmówić,
Codziennie się rozwijaj i nie daj się ogłupić,
Atakowi propagandy stawiaj czoło dzielnie,
Nie daj sobą sterować i myśl samodzielnie.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a solid 7/10. Deal with it.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:30 am

Can I have Machaka be civilized?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:30 am

The Empire of Tau wrote:Can I have Machaka be civilized?

Certainly.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
The Empire of Tau wrote:Can I have Machaka be civilized?

Certainly.

Kool. I just need a rundown of its history after I left it, to make an app.

Nuxipal
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nuxipal » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm

City State Application
Name: City of Daru
Leader:Kirtar
Short History: The city of Daru was founded on north of the Pardis Mountains by the Nirari Tribe, the dominant cultural group in the city. While there some people from other tribes integrated within the tribe and the city it founded, it was built on Nirari principles and built to provide a home for the Nirari going forward. In times past they wandered the plains and even trekked the mountains before founding the city. They seek to dominate the various beasts of the plains, to which end they have domesticated the great horned lords, Unicorns, and as an easy source of food, the chickens living in the area they now live. They continue to seek out further creatures and plants to aid in their dominion over the land. To this end, they worship the mysterious Ancestor, a goddess of the earth which the priestly class claims will help all life grow in and around the city.
Starting Location: Nirari Tribal location
Advantage: N/A (already cashed in?)
National Information: http://kutath.weebly.com/

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm

City State Application
Name:Warcyfle
Leader: Chieftain Gu of Two Islands
Short History:The Warcyfle's history is shrouded in mystery and much hadn't been recorded due to them making the first recorded stories of their love for their Storm God, Tes'la. Much has been recorded of their rise of prosperity between them and the Aun'kal through their chieftains and their clan circles with the families also having their own personal scribes. The people in the history itself had structured themselves as a primitive caste system with the means of production being in control of the priesthood as they held the secrets of Teslanite and the ability to teach it to other smiths as a means of producing their rare magical metal.

Over current history, there has been a building of tension between their neighbors. This came with the Warcyfle settling on their neighboring island to expand beyond the Island of lo. The settlement was an outpost called Mantu Hui and was the start of concern with their neighbors. It escalated when the Children of Tes'la made a more advance galley, the bireme. This ship being the might of the smaller civilization had cost the people more than it should.

This came with the Aun'kal embezzling from them and the Warcyfle attempting to use their warship to blockade the island only to hurt them both and had have them now looking at each with a bit of disdain. The people inside the Warcylfe believe that the current chieftain, Gu to be ineffective and his supporters angry at his lack of an effective army to right this wrong to what they thought were friends. Gu is now sitting on his supporters questioning his right to rule and the Aun'kal bitter against their neighbors for generations of tensions.

Can Gu be able to quell the dissent and mend the wounds between former friends? Can he amass an army worthy of pressing the claim and showing the might of Tes'la? Or will the chieftain himself be dethroned and Tes'la's Favored fallen into ruin?
Starting Location: On map
Advantage: That I don't know.

Novas Arcanum
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Novas Arcanum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Unless I'm mistaken do structures/land produce resources passively?

Also we can tear down structures and receive a portion of the resources spent right?
Last edited by Novas Arcanum on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse