NATION

PASSWORD

Imperium: Reboot (OOC/Sign Ups) Always Open

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Reverend Norv
Minister
 
Posts: 2953
Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am

Bahai'Shido actually makes a lot of sense for this idea of mine.

The Baha'i faith teaches the oneness of God, religion, and humanity: all people are equal, and all religions are valid paths to the same destination. Men and women are equal, science and religion are complementary, and each human has an independent sacred duty to seek the truth for him or herself. Extremes of wealth and poverty are sacrilegious, and universal education is a religious duty. Everyone should speak as many languages as possible, to increase mutual understanding and advance the oneness of mankind.

The eight tenets of Bushido are righteousness (undertake every action in accordance with your own conscience, not with social opinion); heroic courage (live life without fear, taking risks and rejoicing in danger); benevolence (use whatever makes you special to help others); respect (prove your strength in your restraint from using it); honesty ("speaking and doing are the same action"; your word is its own guarantee); honor (all your actions are a reflection of your true character); duty (you willingly assume responsibility for all the consequences of your action or inaction); and self-control (your conscience, not the world or your passions, decides your actions).

In the 26th-millenium Baha'Shido faith, the Bahai precepts provide a worldview, a set of social goals, and a path to spiritual wholeness and fulfillment. Bushido ideals show followers how to live their lives in concrete, practical ways, in order to observe that worldview and advance those social goals. The Deynai Order, in its humanitarian work, embodies the highest Bahai ideals: it brings education and healing and protection to all, regardless of language or faith, and seeks to understand rather than to condemn. In its military aspects, the Order reflects the Bushido code: a Deynai Magister is finally answerable only to his or her own conscience, not to any superior officer or government, and their famous nigh-supernatural skill with the blade comes from unifying mind, body, and spirit through unflinching personal integrity.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

User avatar
Bolslania
Minister
 
Posts: 2446
Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bolslania » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:59 pm

So here's the thing, I'm playing as a military governor of a Cheti planet. So one of you revolutionaries might choose to start a workers revolt. I'm on the verge of being a loyalist or a warlord. Whaddya yall think?
Military is a 9-9-6 according to this index
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature

Pro: Democracy, Science, Pro-choice, Civil rights, SocDem , Technocracy
Anti: Authoritarianism, Flat-earthers/science deniers, Conspiracy theorists, Karens, Hard-right conservatives

This nation is roughly representative of my irl beliefs
Aha, I tricked you.

User avatar
Union Princes
Minister
 
Posts: 2157
Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union Princes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Bolslania wrote:So here's the thing, I'm playing as a military governor of a Cheti planet. So one of you revolutionaries might choose to start a workers revolt. I'm on the verge of being a loyalist or a warlord. Whaddya yall think?


I think that can be arranged with Tau or the others. My character would be a governor of a death world
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

User avatar
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 20010
Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Does the Empire have a form of centralised currency? I can imagine that many planets use their own, but is there a central currency for imperial payments? And, if so, is it a fiat currency, or is it backed by anything? I imagine coinage and paper money could be backed by energy, water, carbon, or even hydrogen, but it could just as well be fiat.

I’m asking, because I always enjoying the nitty-gritty economics of space empires, especially those which grow increasingly corrupt.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled


Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

User avatar
The Empire of Tau
Minister
 
Posts: 2328
Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Does the Empire have a form of centralised currency? I can imagine that many planets use their own, but is there a central currency for imperial payments? And, if so, is it a fiat currency, or is it backed by anything? I imagine coinage and paper money could be backed by energy, water, carbon, or even hydrogen, but it could just as well be fiat.

I’m asking, because I always enjoying the nitty-gritty economics of space empires, especially those which grow increasingly corrupt.

This is just a guess, but I would assume that there is some kind of central currency. The only evidence I have is the existence of the Galactic Commercial Combine and the Imperial Interstellar Spacing Guild, unless the two megacorps run millions of local currency exchange calculations on the daily, which I would imagine would be a hellish process.
Last edited by The Empire of Tau on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Revlona
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6397
Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm

What are the highest ranks one can achieve in the military without being a governor?
Last edited by Revlona on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lover of doggos

User avatar
Bentus
Senator
 
Posts: 4257
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:27 pm

The National Dominion of Hungary wrote:This looks just great, considering to apply with some Space-Ptolemies :)


Okay, I'm excited to see these guys come in. A party's not a party until you have the Ptolemies on the guest list.

The Empire of Tau wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Does the Empire have a form of centralised currency? I can imagine that many planets use their own, but is there a central currency for imperial payments? And, if so, is it a fiat currency, or is it backed by anything? I imagine coinage and paper money could be backed by energy, water, carbon, or even hydrogen, but it could just as well be fiat.

I’m asking, because I always enjoying the nitty-gritty economics of space empires, especially those which grow increasingly corrupt.

This is just a guess, but I would assume that there is some kind of central currency. The only evidence I have is the existence of the Galactic Commercial Combine and the Imperial Interstellar Spacing Guild, unless the two megacorps run millions of local currency exchange calculations on the daily, which I would imagine would be a hellish process.


I also agree w/ a centralized currency. Though maybe only the wealthy and those partaking in interplanetary trade have access to it. That'd exacerbate existing class divides and reinforce the inequality existent between those locked to their homeworlds and those who really have the ability to exploit a whole galaxy of opportunities. As for fiat v backed currency, I'm not sure. It probably depends on the technology and how trade functions within this society. Originally I was going to say fiat, since the Imperial administration is so all-powerful they could enforce a value for the currency without needing to convince some other state. But then again, a backed currency might make sense if there's a good deal of uncertainty present within the Imperium. Or hell, maybe it's fiat but certain fringe worlds have stopped accepting it as the monetary system of the Imperium is starting to fray at the seams (though that's going to be a right pain to keep track of).
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

User avatar
Segmentia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8365
Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Segmentia » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:38 pm

I think you guys are missing the fact that life was generally pretty good throughout the Imperium for thousands and thousands of years. It's only pretty recently that things have started to fall apart, and we aren't even really at the tipping point just yet, as far as I'm aware.
Proud super-heavy tank enthusiast of the Imperium of Man

"We've lost control! Now for the love of Earth...and the Sovereign Colonies, we've got to do what's right."

User avatar
Revlona
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6397
Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Segmentia wrote:I think you guys are missing the fact that life was generally pretty good throughout the Imperium for thousands and thousands of years. It's only pretty recently that things have started to fall apart, and we aren't even really at the tipping point just yet, as far as I'm aware.


Indeed

Either way the red scourge must be crushed
Lover of doggos

User avatar
The Empire of Tau
Minister
 
Posts: 2328
Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

If not fiat then maybe backed by something like FTL-Fuel? A certain amount of currency equaling a certain amount of fuel, or even just having the fuel itself be currency, albeit it might be a logistical nightmare to do so.

User avatar
Bentus
Senator
 
Posts: 4257
Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:48 pm

Segmentia wrote:I think you guys are missing the fact that life was generally pretty good throughout the Imperium for thousands and thousands of years. It's only pretty recently that things have started to fall apart, and we aren't even really at the tipping point just yet, as far as I'm aware.


It looks like the Era of Stagnation and Decline has been going on for 7000 or so years - so I don't think things would be looking all that great. But that being said, I do think we should clear of 40k total-shit-has-hit-the-fan-and-it-has-gone-everywhere grimdark. Things are probably fine for most of the citizenry, and the average life expectancy of a few centuries means that even the poor get access to medical care that far exceeds our own. I think it's probably more of a case that the divide between the haves and the have-nots has grown exceptionally wide, and there are certain populations and regions where things are likely in particular not great.

Though I do think it'd be nice to have some more loyalists around. The Imperium having been around for so long and still being relatively stable (hell, it spans the entire galaxy - it's a wonder how well it's held together) means that it's definitely been doing plenty of things right and it must enjoy significant popular support.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 pm

What is the currency? Uh...well who ever controls the Spice, controls the Universe.
Resident Fox lover

User avatar
Union Princes
Minister
 
Posts: 2157
Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union Princes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Imperialisium wrote:What is the currency? Uh...well who ever controls the Spice, controls the Universe.


So you're saying that there is some hyperinflation going on?

That would do it.
Last edited by Union Princes on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Imperialisium wrote:What is the currency? Uh...well who ever controls the Spice, controls the Universe.


So you're saying that there is some hyperinflation going on?

That would do it.


lol. Joke on my part.

I added a blurp on the first part of the OP at the bottom. Basically there is one Imperial currency and one sanctioned unofficial one (the trade off is the unofficial one is more volatile). There are however all manner of local monies with the only rule is that they have to be pegged to the Imperial currency (thus favoring the Imperial Government when it comes to commerce). Since most denizens of the galaxy seldom leave their home star systems let alone Star Clusters this is typically a workable system.

Also yes, the gap between haves not and haves has grown very wide. However, this isn't a common inverse problem were rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer (though one that is slowly occurring as time has passed as things become more uncertain and chaotic in the Galaxy).
Resident Fox lover

User avatar
Union Princes
Minister
 
Posts: 2157
Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union Princes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:45 pm

I was thinking of this coalition between the revolutionary and reformist characters be called the Motus Vox Populi or The Voice of the People Movement. That way we can form our own sub-factions around the Lenin character from Sarderia
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Union Princes wrote:I was thinking of this coalition between the revolutionary and reformist characters be called the Motus Vox Populi or The Voice of the People Movement. That way we can form our own sub-factions around the Lenin character from Sarderia


Just make sure you guys set this up narratively
Resident Fox lover

User avatar
The Empire of Tau
Minister
 
Posts: 2328
Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Empire of Tau » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Any ETA on that finished OOC page?

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:46 pm

The Empire of Tau wrote:Any ETA on that finished OOC page?


I should have it done this weekend and be officially accepting tomorrow
Resident Fox lover

User avatar
New New Sriker
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Oct 02, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby New New Sriker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:09 am

Will there be a list of the various xeno species and how bad is the anti-xeno sentiment in the Imperium?

User avatar
Rodez
Diplomat
 
Posts: 735
Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rodez » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:32 am

It's clear that we need some space reactionaries up in this joint!
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

User avatar
Union Princes
Minister
 
Posts: 2157
Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union Princes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 am

Rodez wrote:It's clear that we need some space reactionaries up in this joint!


That can also be my character if the coalition falls apart.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

User avatar
New New Sriker
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Oct 02, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby New New Sriker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

Union Princes wrote:
Rodez wrote:It's clear that we need some space reactionaries up in this joint!


That can also be my character if the coalition falls apart.

Hopefully we maintain the coalition

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

New New Sriker wrote:Will there be a list of the various xeno species and how bad is the anti-xeno sentiment in the Imperium?


There are thousands of Xenos species. Even more of you account for non-sentient species, a number of whom have been domesticated and bred much like irl domesticated animals to suit the populations needs. So a definitive list will not be forthcoming.

In terms of sentiment. Overall the Galactic Imperium is tolerant in the legislative sense. As the Lex Imperialis doesn’t make special statutes based on species. Indeed for every world in which there might be anti-Xenos sentiment there is one which is cosmopolitan in species make up. Generally, most anti-Xenos sentiment is likely in the Periphery. The last region of the Galaxy (comprising three outer 30-40,000 light years of the Galaxy) assimilated by the Imperium and were many worlds are less settled, is where you’ll see harsher sentiments.

Outside of direct Imperial Worlds things are a mixed bag and the GI doesn’t really infringe on the individual treaties and the SAS, Protectorates, or private territories of the Houses.
Resident Fox lover

User avatar
Bolslania
Minister
 
Posts: 2446
Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bolslania » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:51 am

Imperialisium wrote:
New New Sriker wrote:Will there be a list of the various xeno species and how bad is the anti-xeno sentiment in the Imperium?


There are thousands of Xenos species. Even more of you account for non-sentient species, a number of whom have been domesticated and bred much like irl domesticated animals to suit the populations needs. So a definitive list will not be forthcoming.

In terms of sentiment. Overall the Galactic Imperium is tolerant in the legislative sense. As the Lex Imperialis doesn’t make special statutes based on species. Indeed for every world in which there might be anti-Xenos sentiment there is one which is cosmopolitan in species make up. Generally, most anti-Xenos sentiment is likely in the Periphery. The last region of the Galaxy (comprising three outer 30-40,000 light years of the Galaxy) assimilated by the Imperium and were many worlds are less settled, is where you’ll see harsher sentiments.

Outside of direct Imperial Worlds things are a mixed bag and the GI doesn’t really infringe on the individual treaties and the SAS, Protectorates, or private territories of the Houses.


So how many planets does the Imperium still have a firm hold on?
Military is a 9-9-6 according to this index
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature

Pro: Democracy, Science, Pro-choice, Civil rights, SocDem , Technocracy
Anti: Authoritarianism, Flat-earthers/science deniers, Conspiracy theorists, Karens, Hard-right conservatives

This nation is roughly representative of my irl beliefs
Aha, I tricked you.

User avatar
Imperialisium
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11483
Founded: Apr 17, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Imperialisium » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Bolslania wrote:
Imperialisium wrote:
There are thousands of Xenos species. Even more of you account for non-sentient species, a number of whom have been domesticated and bred much like irl domesticated animals to suit the populations needs. So a definitive list will not be forthcoming.

In terms of sentiment. Overall the Galactic Imperium is tolerant in the legislative sense. As the Lex Imperialis doesn’t make special statutes based on species. Indeed for every world in which there might be anti-Xenos sentiment there is one which is cosmopolitan in species make up. Generally, most anti-Xenos sentiment is likely in the Periphery. The last region of the Galaxy (comprising three outer 30-40,000 light years of the Galaxy) assimilated by the Imperium and were many worlds are less settled, is where you’ll see harsher sentiments.

Outside of direct Imperial Worlds things are a mixed bag and the GI doesn’t really infringe on the individual treaties and the SAS, Protectorates, or private territories of the Houses.


So how many planets does the Imperium still have a firm hold on?


Theoretically. All of them. Practicality, results may very but proclaiming secession like 3 pages into the IC would probably not be wise.
Resident Fox lover

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fereni, Flowerdell, Kentucky Fried Land, Novas Arcanum, Ralnis, Saubre, Segmentia, Vaquas, Woodstovia

Advertisement

Remove ads