NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:49 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:I have some more specific comments to make once I have time; but I should generically note that the invention times seem extraordinarily optimistic. Most modern people won’t have a clue where to start on things like saponification begin - washing clothes downriver of cremation.

This might depend on more what kind of soap you are making, but just looking it up, primtive methods don't seem that difficult at all, and aren't so unintuitive that people wouldn't be able to figure it out given three years of experimentation.

I suppose it would depend on what kind of soap you were looking to make though, what would you say is more reasonable?
Last edited by Joohan on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:06 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Orostan wrote:Is it reasonable to say that we'd be producing more technology by trying to get to technology we know something about?

That's actually the axiom in the FAQ - those times are for from-first-principles production, which is why I think they are quite optimistic.

UniversalCommons wrote:I have a question about how technology transfer might work or knowledge transfer. One of the things which we do when integrate a new region or help in conquering a new region, we would collect or copy all the information which we could get our hands on. This was traditional among conquerors. You would carry off the enemies library. The specific area where we would be looking for knowledge would be Eanna, one of the first places where writing was beginning around 3100 b.c. There might have been about 15-20 years of technological change before we reached Eanna. This would be early writing. There were supposed to be some 5000 tablets found in Uruk around Eanna. These would have been copied onto papyrus or rag paper and translated over a 5 year period. This would also include interviewing scholars and craftsmen. Things like formulas, recipes, gardening, seeds, medicine, etc.

One thing to remember, which you've hit on before, is the need to filter out nonsense from useful information. This is a more difficult than you've posited, however, methinks. Your most recent IC post mentions that this is being done, but I think you overestimate the ease with which such a task can be accomplished. The easiest method is to compare two sources of information, such as Victor Spear's direct knowledge and the knowledge taken from Uruk - this method is reasonably infallible but, of course, relies on one man.

The secondary method, to simply look at the knowledge and choose what sounds correct to the observer, is much more fraught with peril. Victor Spear has allowed a hundred schools of though to flourish in Oak, which is very wise for learning in the long term, but which also means that this sort of direct analysis will be nearly impossible. What looks rational to one Scholar will be foolishness to another, and only Victor Spear can arbitrary on the matter of factual truth. But without him, that'll be quite the task.

Empire of Techkotal wrote:So I did post now and I hope nobody has a problem with it. If it would be possibel I would like to get feedback though you don't have to.

She looked good to me. I'd add to Orostan's analysis, effectively, by redacting the points he has made. Greece is directly adjacent to the Nestos League, who is probably the most open engine of technological dissemination in our entire world. Bronze spears, metal-tipped clubs, formations, political organization, trade, slavery - these are all perfectly plausible to have at least roots in the region, if not having come to full fruition.

It is not an easy task. This is what causes the Scholar Translation Committee to become the Scholar Translation Ministry. Historically, this is what happens during the Arab middle ages with the actual House of Wisdom in Baghdad. They require more people to work on translation as they get more material. The origins of the real House of Wisdom came from the need for translators. It went from a house of books or a library to an academy, the flow of information from Uruk and Ur along with Egypt would be what brings this change.

It would not be one user, but a group of users that would start with the Scholar Translation Committee and cause it to expand. The Scholar Translation Committee has been around for a while. There would not be one person looking at the translation, but a committee ultimately reporting to the leaders of the House of Wisdom. They have had some experience translating works as a group before.
It would be slow and difficult.

The Scholar Translation Committee would have worked with some other groups with other languages. We worked with Aksum to organize their church records which is a different language than Thracian. So there would have been a build up of some of the necessary skills.

These people would come from all over, like the original "house of wisdom", there would be scribes (Egypt and Mesopotamia), scholars (Thrace), some kind of trader (Single Market), etc. It would require the core Scholar Translation Committee to become administrators of a new larger group, not all would be fit for this. It would be transitionary.

We also described how the material from Uruk and Egypt is going to a new facility in Anbar where the Translation Committee would meet.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Joohan wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:I have some more specific comments to make once I have time; but I should generically note that the invention times seem extraordinarily optimistic. Most modern people won’t have a clue where to start on things like saponification begin - washing clothes downriver of cremation.

This might depend on more what kind of soap you are making, but just looking it up, primtive methods don't seem that difficult at all, and aren't so unintuitive that people wouldn't be able to figure it out given three years of experimentation.

I suppose it would depend on what kind of soap you were looking to make though, what would you say is more reasonable?

It’s a difficult thought. How do we quantify stumbling upon a precise combination of factors? Working along with the idea of saponification, you need roasted fats for oils, ashes for leaching, and something for them to react with to demonstrate the interaction, like laundry being washed downstream.

If you’re working with fundamental knowledge of soapmaking, sure, you could put something together in the specified timeframe. If you’re essentially working with no knowledge though... that’s random chance, functionally? Random chance historically takes, well, decades, or centuries.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:29 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:viewtopic.php?p=35372655#p35372655

That's the relevant link for using wells for irrigation. The same principle, of course, holds for using a well for drinking water.

Ah, so you have

As far as the political solution at Nevis, frankly that was long enough ago that my memory is fuzzy. However, without an IC mention of the terms you've mentioned, or an OOC note I can find, and with some rather obvious IC arguments against that outcome, that would strike me as a term Icedonia proposed, or you proposed, but which was shot down as unworkable. The note about smuggling is similar. Without Icedonian guards patrolling the shoreline, and with, in the Imperium's mind, no legal basis for interdicting traffic outside of Nevis herself, any flow of men or weapons into the Kindreds would hardly have been impossible. Even if Icedonia turned to active interdiction, she would have provoked a war, not left the Kindreds with no defense against small, desperate raiding bands from the north.

It was proposed by me, when you first approached me about what I would offer in exchange for a white peace - so that no side would be seen as the loser. The Imperium came to the isle so as to acquire a base to fight to help fight off raids Commonwealth raids. I proposed that you leave the isle, but we fulfill your mission - which we have been doing, you'll recall my post of ambushing pirates off the coast of Hibernia and what not, and you could consider the Dusk Union's invasion of the Commonwealth's colonies as a way of fulfilling that agreement ( but that'd be kind of a stretch though wouldn't it :p )

I think we'd be very much so in the right, and certainly we would have legal basis for doing so. The Imperium, alongside Icedonia, agreed to demilitarize the lands of the four kindred. Ships attempting to bring in soldiers and weapons would be, obviously, in violation of that fact. These smugglers then must obviously be criminals then, in no way connected to the Imperial government or military, because it would be incredibly shameful to see the Imperium turn around and immediately attempt to violate the peace treaty that they'd just agreed to ( and not to mention quite dumb, y'all had a fort and a garrison there. Why would they leave a place they'd already militarized, if they'd just intended to militarize it again in a few months ).

As for local law, I think the clans round Nevis would be of the same mind as I. They were just devastated by a war, and the only reason the survivors made it out at all, was because the Imperium had an army already garrisoning a fort in their midst. Now that fort has found itself in relative disuse with no garrison to maintain her, and in Nevis there are now only a handful of guards left. The people of the Haven know that if Icedonia were to march back north, with their defenses as they are now, they'd get slaughtered. The four kindred would absolutely let us apprehend those criminal smugglers, because they know that if the peace treaty gets violated and war begins anew, they're gonna die.

As for the defense of Nevis, the only reason the Imperium came to them in the first place was because they needed a staging ground to fight the Commonwealth. Y'all weren't actually concerned with this particular group of people on England's eastern seaboard, only what they could provide you. Seeing as how Icedonia has taken up that mantle now though, or if you don't agree to that version of things - because you are no longer using Nevis as that staging ground - you've no reason to defend them from anyone anymore.

Excepting all that - I can't see the Kindreds doing anything except despising Icedonia's inaction, even if we set aside for the moment the terms of the peace treaty and posit that you were entirely correct. A duty to defend the Kindreds such as Icedonia would have taken upon herself would hardly exclude defending them from other tribes. That dereliction of duty, if allowed by Isaac, would not only abrogate the agreement made with the Kindreds, but likely cause serious political upheavals in Icedonia. After all, failure of mutual defense obligations is oftentimes the first step towards societal collapse.[/quote]

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Joohan wrote:

It’s a difficult thought. How do we quantify stumbling upon a precise combination of factors? Working along with the idea of saponification, you need roasted fats for oils, ashes for leaching, and something for them to react with to demonstrate the interaction, like laundry being washed downstream.

If you’re working with fundamental knowledge of soapmaking, sure, you could put something together in the specified timeframe. If you’re essentially working with no knowledge though... that’s random chance, functionally? Random chance historically takes, well, decades, or centuries.

Pretty much every discovery that Authors stumble along is, unlikely, given how we've only been here thirty years. So long as an author at least writes their discoveries in a believable and accurate way, I'm willing to forgo a little bit of disbelief.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Unless you were in Mesopotamia where they cleaned wool. Then there might be a key to soap a little earlier. That is one of the reasons it makes sense to systematize the mass of knowledge and sort it out from the early civilizations.

There were also a lot of miracles promulgated by the priestly classes that required some knowledge of herbs, "alchemy", and secret knowledge.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Author Application
Name: David McClure
Height and Weight: 6 foot, 200 pounds
Skin, hair, and eye description: Tan olive-ish skin. Dark brown / black hair, long and a little bit wavy. Squinty amber eyes. Very sad, patchy beard on the occasions he's tried to grow it out.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: University student, philosophy book sellers assistant
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Highschool diploma - AP chem might be useful
Physique description: Not exactly active, but blessed with sufficient strength and endurance not to embarrass himself. Awful runner and generally terrible endurance when it comes to anything involving his poor, poor lungs, but pretty good at lifting relatively heavy stuff up, walking it around and then putting it back down somewhere else. A decent walker / hiker, 8 - 10 mile walks or hikes every week or two. Thick neck, broad shoulders, big legs and something of a belly. Big, Greek nose.
Useful skills: His knowledge is broad and shallow. Not much of an "expert" at anything.

National Origin: America
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Writing an essay, probably
Description of personality: Pretty introverted and rarely initiates a conversation or relationship, though he still enjoys an interesting conversation or heated argument. Not a fan of small talk. Pretty lazy and a massive procrastinator, but gets bored easily and always looking for something interesting to do. Something of an idealist and a convicted humanist - thinks almost everybody is fundamentally good and is generally averse to causing harm, even when furious.
Where in the world are you landing?: Oikia, Gipuzkoa Spain

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Born and raised in Fairfield County Connecticut, up 'till moving to Upstate New York for University for the 2020 fall semester. His family was loving and well enough off if pretty dysfunctional and, in the end, broken up. Got relatively good grades, despite his best efforts, and got into a pretty good school where he hopes to reform his slothful ways in, at the very least, the field of academics. Putting the aversion to actual work aside, David's always loved the actual learning bit of scholarship and - occasionally - the application of that knowledge, though not generally in the form of homework sheets.
Since he was a child, he's enjoyed reading about - and trying to do - new things, the latter generally not producing particularly useful results, but being enjoyable nonetheless. He took a liking to the visual arts from a very young age, and though others have claimed he's a passable - or even good - artist, he hates nearly everything he draws or sculpts, though that hasn't stopped him from trying at it regularly his entire life. In middle school he took an interest to sewing and cooking, both of which ended up on much the same path as his art "career" - often practiced and much loved but lacking in results. Over a few summers he tried his hand at fencing and rugby, having fun with both, but didn't feel competent enough to take it any further than that.
Prior to COVID-19 he worked as the general assistant to a seller of antique philosophy books, helping with inventory, sales, picture-taking, fetching coffee, and whatever else needed doing. Learned some stuff about the business and subject matter while doing so. He got to flip through an original copy of de Magnete, which was without doubt the oldest thing he's ever held, barring rocks. Spent most of the summer prior to leaving for college volunteering at a food pantry, moving boxes around. University's so far proven rainier, calmer and more stimulating than high school - he's taking classes in anthropology, history and philosophy. Overall, his life's been pretty uneventful, though he did go to Iceland once, which was pretty cool.
Writing Sample:
A very long time ago now - thousands of thousands of years - when the world was new, warm and dangerous, the divine forces, feminine Emari and her consort-force Maju, were sitting together upon a great ashen rock which thrust itself out of a young, blood-red sea.

"I love this grey stone, and the red sea from which it has emerged, and too do I love the stars which fall upon it and into these waters." Emari said, as was her nature, for she loved all things, and found all things satisfying.

"I do not - indeed, to me this great grey stone seems little more than a pebble, the red sea a muddy puddle, the falling stars a rain of dirty ash and ember. Worse yet, they have been so for an eternity, and will continue to be so for an eternity, and I shall never be free of their pathetic visages." Maju said, as was his nature, for he despised all things, and would never find satisfaction.

"But Maju," Emari responded, "this rock rose from the sea but a week past, and this sea rose from the earth but a week before that, and both at your urging! Why can you not be content with the world as it is, when you are the one who demanded I create it out of Void, and who demanded I put upon it seas and stones and stars? Why can you not love our creation as I do?"

To this, Maju said "When we met, I said to you, Emari; 'I hate this void of nothingness you inhabit, and as nothing about it ever changes, I shall never come to love it.' And so you created the stars, and I said to you, 'I hate these stars all about us, and I hate them in all their sizes and colors, and since they can do naught but change these things and die, I shall never come to love them.' And so you placed the world a-dancing about one of the stars, but it could only change where in it's dance it stood, and I found nowhere in it satisfying, and so on with the stones and sea, and so still. I cannot know what will satisfy me until I have seen it, and as I cannot see even a hint of satisfaction in the seas and stars and stones now that they are out of my head and 'fore my eyes, I cannot but hate them."

Emari frowned at these words, for though she loved them, and Maju - as she loved all things - she felt in her love that they could be better. This she had inherited from Maju, of course, just as he had inherited from her a belief in creating that which is satisfying rather than simply destroying all that is not.

Emari said, "Was that not the purpose, Maju, of calling the stars down from the sky? Do their paths and impacts not produce an infinite variety of holes and ridges, some arrangement of which you might perhaps find to your liking? So, I believe, you said when you asked that I pull some of the stars I so love down, to antagonize the world I too love dearly." though she left unsaid her love for the great explosions and gouges in the Earth which the stars brought with them, and for the empty spots in the sky they left.

"It was indeed the purpose, dear Emari, but upon seeing the sunken pits and upthrust ridges left by the stars passing, I have come to understand that I shall never find satisfaction in bare stone and empty seas, no matter their pattern, extent or depth." Maju said.

"So, what would you have me do, Maju? What shall I create for you next?" sighed Emari. "Though you know I love creation, that I love the infinite and unending, I too love basking in the fruits of those labors, something I have had little time to do since you began demanding such things of me. Surely there is a better path."

"Indeed, as I have no love for the futile, and especially not for the infinite and unending, I am forced to agree, and so I will make this my last great request - Emari, make for me a thing which will change on it's own, which can itself create, and which never ceases to create. From this, surely will my satisfaction someday emerge."

And, though she knew this would not truly be Maju's last request, Emari assented and set to work, taking up into her hands some of the red sea, and some of the ashen stone and mud, and a little bit of the starstuff that lay about in pits, and tried to form it into a creation which could create. The task proved very difficult, even for the goddess, for until then, creation had been solely the realm of the divine. Realizing this, Emari took a pinch of flesh-stuff from herself, and another from Maju, and pushed these together with her other things, and in her hands squeezed them, tighter and tighter till they could not be seen, and then threw her creation into the young red sea, and there it moved without her or Maju moving it, and took mud and water into itself without them forcing it, and then created another of itself - similar but not the same.

Thus did the first thing not created by godly will come to inhabit the world, and though it did not satisfy Maju, he could not place the limits of it's potential, and so he refrained from making more great requests of Emari, and together they from then on would only create minor things, and push or pull those things which were already created. From that first self-creating thing would come all the forms of life we today know, from the tallest tree to the smallest mouse, and though we have not yet brought satisfaction to Maju, he still believes we someday shall.

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: Have a decent life, go home. Help out my neighbors. Going to try and focus on the short term so I don't get too distracted thinking about my "ultimate" goal society and end up uninterested in writing about my landings near aftermath and the actual path to that point, which is what happened the last two times I've tried getting into the RP.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Kropotkin, maybe, since I've been reading Conquest of Bread.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Basques are basically the only Pre-Indo-European culture of Europe we (or at least I) know a decent amount about, and all the Indo-European-esque states popping up bum me out.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: A unique one, hopefully
What are your character's motivations?: Live comfortably and help my fellows live comfortably. Perhaps that'll change soon enough.
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:44 pm

The Hierophancy wrote:Author Application
Name: David McClure
Height and Weight: 6 foot, 200 pounds
Skin, hair, and eye description: Tan olive-ish skin. Dark brown / black hair, long and a little bit wavy. Squinty amber eyes. Very sad, patchy beard on the occasions he's tried to grow it out.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: University student, philosophy book sellers assistant
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Highschool diploma - AP chem might be useful
Physique description: Not exactly active, but blessed with sufficient strength and endurance not to embarrass himself. Awful runner and generally terrible endurance when it comes to anything involving his poor, poor lungs, but pretty good at lifting relatively heavy stuff up, walking it around and then putting it back down somewhere else. A decent walker / hiker, 8 - 10 mile walks or hikes every week or two. Thick neck, broad shoulders, big legs and something of a belly. Big, Greek nose.
Useful skills: His knowledge is broad and shallow. Not much of an "expert" at anything.

National Origin: America
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Writing an essay, probably
Description of personality: Pretty introverted and rarely initiates a conversation or relationship, though he still enjoys an interesting conversation or heated argument. Not a fan of small talk. Pretty lazy and a massive procrastinator, but gets bored easily and always looking for something interesting to do. Something of an idealist and a convicted humanist - thinks almost everybody is fundamentally good and is generally averse to causing harm, even when furious.
Where in the world are you landing?: Oikia, Gipuzkoa Spain

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Born and raised in Fairfield County Connecticut, up 'till moving to Upstate New York for University for the 2020 fall semester. His family was loving and well enough off if pretty dysfunctional and, in the end, broken up. Got relatively good grades, despite his best efforts, and got into a pretty good school where he hopes to reform his slothful ways in, at the very least, the field of academics. Putting the aversion to actual work aside, David's always loved the actual learning bit of scholarship and - occasionally - the application of that knowledge, though not generally in the form of homework sheets.
Since he was a child, he's enjoyed reading about - and trying to do - new things, the latter generally not producing particularly useful results, but being enjoyable nonetheless. He took a liking to the visual arts from a very young age, and though others have claimed he's a passable - or even good - artist, he hates nearly everything he draws or sculpts, though that hasn't stopped him from trying at it regularly his entire life. In middle school he took an interest to sewing and cooking, both of which ended up on much the same path as his art "career" - often practiced and much loved but lacking in results. Over a few summers he tried his hand at fencing and rugby, having fun with both, but didn't feel competent enough to take it any further than that.
Prior to COVID-19 he worked as the general assistant to a seller of antique philosophy books, helping with inventory, sales, picture-taking, fetching coffee, and whatever else needed doing. Learned some stuff about the business and subject matter while doing so. He got to flip through an original copy of de Magnete, which was without doubt the oldest thing he's ever held, barring rocks. Spent most of the summer prior to leaving for college volunteering at a food pantry, moving boxes around. University's so far proven rainier, calmer and more stimulating than high school - he's taking classes in anthropology, history and philosophy. Overall, his life's been pretty uneventful, though he did go to Iceland once, which was pretty cool.
Writing Sample:
A very long time ago now - thousands of thousands of years - when the world was new, warm and dangerous, the divine forces, feminine Emari and her consort-force Maju, were sitting together upon a great ashen rock which thrust itself out of a young, blood-red sea.

"I love this grey stone, and the red sea from which it has emerged, and too do I love the stars which fall upon it and into these waters." Emari said, as was her nature, for she loved all things, and found all things satisfying.

"I do not - indeed, to me this great grey stone seems little more than a pebble, the red sea a muddy puddle, the falling stars a rain of dirty ash and ember. Worse yet, they have been so for an eternity, and will continue to be so for an eternity, and I shall never be free of their pathetic visages." Maju said, as was his nature, for he despised all things, and would never find satisfaction.

"But Maju," Emari responded, "this rock rose from the sea but a week past, and this sea rose from the earth but a week before that, and both at your urging! Why can you not be content with the world as it is, when you are the one who demanded I create it out of Void, and who demanded I put upon it seas and stones and stars? Why can you not love our creation as I do?"

To this, Maju said "When we met, I said to you, Emari; 'I hate this void of nothingness you inhabit, and as nothing about it ever changes, I shall never come to love it.' And so you created the stars, and I said to you, 'I hate these stars all about us, and I hate them in all their sizes and colors, and since they can do naught but change these things and die, I shall never come to love them.' And so you placed the world a-dancing about one of the stars, but it could only change where in it's dance it stood, and I found nowhere in it satisfying, and so on with the stones and sea, and so still. I cannot know what will satisfy me until I have seen it, and as I cannot see even a hint of satisfaction in the seas and stars and stones now that they are out of my head and 'fore my eyes, I cannot but hate them."

Emari frowned at these words, for though she loved them, and Maju - as she loved all things - she felt in her love that they could be better. This she had inherited from Maju, of course, just as he had inherited from her a belief in creating that which is satisfying rather than simply destroying all that is not.

Emari said, "Was that not the purpose, Maju, of calling the stars down from the sky? Do their paths and impacts not produce an infinite variety of holes and ridges, some arrangement of which you might perhaps find to your liking? So, I believe, you said when you asked that I pull some of the stars I so love down, to antagonize the world I too love dearly." though she left unsaid her love for the great explosions and gouges in the Earth which the stars brought with them, and for the empty spots in the sky they left.

"It was indeed the purpose, dear Emari, but upon seeing the sunken pits and upthrust ridges left by the stars passing, I have come to understand that I shall never find satisfaction in bare stone and empty seas, no matter their pattern, extent or depth." Maju said.

"So, what would you have me do, Maju? What shall I create for you next?" sighed Emari. "Though you know I love creation, that I love the infinite and unending, I too love basking in the fruits of those labors, something I have had little time to do since you began demanding such things of me. Surely there is a better path."

"Indeed, as I have no love for the futile, and especially not for the infinite and unending, I am forced to agree, and so I will make this my last great request - Emari, make for me a thing which will change on it's own, which can itself create, and which never ceases to create. From this, surely will my satisfaction someday emerge."

And, though she knew this would not truly be Maju's last request, Emari assented and set to work, taking up into her hands some of the red sea, and some of the ashen stone and mud, and a little bit of the starstuff that lay about in pits, and tried to form it into a creation which could create. The task proved very difficult, even for the goddess, for until then, creation had been solely the realm of the divine. Realizing this, Emari took a pinch of flesh-stuff from herself, and another from Maju, and pushed these together with her other things, and in her hands squeezed them, tighter and tighter till they could not be seen, and then threw her creation into the young red sea, and there it moved without her or Maju moving it, and took mud and water into itself without them forcing it, and then created another of itself - similar but not the same.

Thus did the first thing not created by godly will come to inhabit the world, and though it did not satisfy Maju, he could not place the limits of it's potential, and so he refrained from making more great requests of Emari, and together they from then on would only create minor things, and push or pull those things which were already created. From that first self-creating thing would come all the forms of life we today know, from the tallest tree to the smallest mouse, and though we have not yet brought satisfaction to Maju, he still believes we someday shall.

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: Have a decent life, go home. Help out my neighbors. Going to try and focus on the short term so I don't get too distracted thinking about my "ultimate" goal society and end up uninterested in writing about my landings near aftermath and the actual path to that point, which is what happened the last two times I've tried getting into the RP.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Kropotkin, maybe, since I've been reading Conquest of Bread.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Basques are basically the only Pre-Indo-European culture of Europe we (or at least I) know a decent amount about, and all the Indo-European-esque states popping up bum me out.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: A unique one, hopefully
What are your character's motivations?: Live comfortably and help my fellows live comfortably. Perhaps that'll change soon enough.
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

Ah, so he finally returns

This looks good. I've recently landed a little exploratory party near Oviedo, so we'll probably be seeing each other in a few years.

Accepted.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:50 pm

Joohan wrote:
The Hierophancy wrote:Author Application

This looks good. I've recently landed a little exploratory party near Oviedo, so we'll probably be seeing each other in a few years.

Accepted.

O great benefactor, most merciful lord of combat and virtue, I beg of you - leave me a little coal. Just a little bit...

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:18 pm

The Hierophancy wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Accepted.

O great benefactor, most merciful lord of combat and virtue, I beg of you - leave me a little coal. Just a little bit...

Actually there is a fair bit of coal in iron located round the Spanish slopes of the Pyrenees. I could definitely lend you some tools an engineers.

Suriyanakhon
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Suriyanakhon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Joohan wrote:oooh, I like this. * notices a female Buddhist with an obsession over East Asian monarchies, and chose Girl in Red for her theme song* hana is that you...

I'm assuming that you don't yet have any posting history, seeing as how you are rather new?

More like Indian and Southeast Asian monarchies. :p I forgot my password okay...
Resident Drowned Victorian Waif (he/him)
Imāmiyya Shīʿa Muslim

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Joohan wrote:
The Hierophancy wrote:O great benefactor, most merciful lord of combat and virtue, I beg of you - leave me a little coal. Just a little bit...

Actually there is a fair bit of coal in iron located round the Spanish slopes of the Pyrenees. I could definitely lend you some tools an engineers.

It's also good to remember that there is that Iberian Confederation knocking about.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Joohan wrote:
The Hierophancy wrote:O great benefactor, most merciful lord of combat and virtue, I beg of you - leave me a little coal. Just a little bit...

Didn't know there was any in the Pyrenees- was thinking Asturias. That plus low phosphorous Bilbaon iron are the reasons other than pre-IE goodness I picked the Basque Country. Nice weather too.
Joohan wrote:

It's also good to remember that there is that Iberian Confederation knocking about.

Where in Iberia are they?
Last edited by The Hierophancy on Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:56 pm

The Hierophancy wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Didn't know there was any in the Pyrenees- was thinking Asturias. That plus low phosphorous Bilbaon iron are the reasons other than pre-IE goodness I picked the Basque Country. Nice weather too.

If memory serves, they were in Asturias, down to near central Portugal. A very loose anti-slavery confederation with little in the way of unique technological development, but they probably haven't completely dissolved yet. You might find them politically fragmented after the disappearance of their creator.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:00 pm

The Hierophancy wrote:Didn't know there was any in the Pyrenees- was thinking Asturias. That plus low phosphorous Bilbaon iron are the reasons other than pre-IE goodness I picked the Basque Country. Nice weather too.

If memory serves, they were in Asturias, down to near central Portugal. A very loose anti-slavery confederation with little in the way of unique technological development, but they probably haven't completely dissolved yet. You might find them politically fragmented after the disappearance of their creator.

Sounds interesting.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Joohan wrote:

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about them.

They are definitely going on the map of NPC's.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Joohan wrote:

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about them.

They are definitely going on the map of NPC's.

Make sure to put me and my allied villages onto the map if you’re making one including player friends
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Looking forward to Iberian federation. Hoping to send out another expedition along the coastlines.

The Hierophancy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hierophancy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Looking forward to Iberian federation. Hoping to send out another expedition along the coastlines.

Scholars - or barring that the trade goods of Nestos - would've traveled up the Ebro by now, no?

New Arcadius
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Arcadius » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:14 pm

Man this whole Naxos thing with Egypt is really gonna be fucked once shit starts happening there.

And by the way, shit IS going to be happening with Egypt very soon.
Last edited by New Arcadius on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Transfemale roleplayer, worldbuilder and country-maker that has been around since 2013! Sorry if I keep on deactivating.

CERTIFIED BRONZE AGE ENJOYER

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:18 pm

New Arcadius wrote:Man this whole Naxos thing with Egypt is really gonna be fucked once shit starts happening there.

Can't wait to teleport my army there to enforce Sumerian order. :p
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Right now, I think we would have gone as far as Carthage in Libya and Cyrene which is a trading post in Libya. We also might reach Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica from Albania. I think it might take some more years to reach Iberia. We would probably try and do an expedition to map the coasts of the Meditteranean, but it would probably be a ways away in time. With the trading posts in Libya-- Cyrene has been there for a while. It is the source of silphium. I would imagine some of the trade goods might make it along the coasts before we got there. We would not be conquering the territory. It would be more exploring and trade. I think there is an NPC in Sicily.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Arcadius
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Arcadius » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:25 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Right now, I think we would have gone as far as Carthage in Libya and Cyrene which is a trading post in Libya. We also might reach Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica from Albania. I think it might take some more years to reach Iberia. We would probably try and do an expedition to map the coasts of the Meditteranean, but it would probably be a ways away in time. With the trading posts in Libya-- Cyrene has been there for a while. It is the source of silphium. I would imagine some of the trade goods might make it along the coasts before we got there. We would not be conquering the territory. It would be more exploring and trade. I think there is an NPC in Sicily.

There's a Korean chick in Sardinia
Transfemale roleplayer, worldbuilder and country-maker that has been around since 2013! Sorry if I keep on deactivating.

CERTIFIED BRONZE AGE ENJOYER

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:26 pm

New Arcadius wrote:Man this whole Naxos thing with Egypt is really gonna be fucked once shit starts happening there.

I know, that's kind of why I did yours and Alamora's events the way I did

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:26 pm

New Arcadius wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Right now, I think we would have gone as far as Carthage in Libya and Cyrene which is a trading post in Libya. We also might reach Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica from Albania. I think it might take some more years to reach Iberia. We would probably try and do an expedition to map the coasts of the Meditteranean, but it would probably be a ways away in time. With the trading posts in Libya-- Cyrene has been there for a while. It is the source of silphium. I would imagine some of the trade goods might make it along the coasts before we got there. We would not be conquering the territory. It would be more exploring and trade. I think there is an NPC in Sicily.

There's a Korean chick in Sardinia

was

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse