NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Joohan wrote:
Ralnis wrote:You know this whole Red Plague was Luther's fault since he through half of the Middle East in a 20 year war. So if Luther figured that out then I don't know if devastated would be the word I would use.

Think of it this way - Europe will be too devastated to hold up against the Sumerian invasion :)

I don't know about that, the Imperium already had a cure so that idea had been thrown out. Israel and Hiberia are untouched, just like Norse land. Only benefit is that the Levant can be firmly in Sumerian influence now.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Joohan wrote:
Endem wrote:Ok, so, I'm a bit stumped, I have no idea how to really establish the religion I'm making, especially since the current plan involves converting the young adults and teens of the tribe Aleksander is in and going from there, but, I have no idea how to do it, especially aince I'm going in broader strokes, so, I wanted to ask, how can it be written more naturally then "uh, they listened to him, and got somewhat convinced, and after a couple meetings they've converted".

Aleksander has to be convinced of it first. Last we left off, he was just pondering on the unlikelyness of his happening upon safe haven in the desert, no? What event has inspired him of the divine? Before he himself can make others believe, he'll have to convince himself. Proclaiming oneself a servant of the divine or some supernatural mission requires a lot of characterization.

Then, if you plan on converting others that requires a mission statement for them to believe in. For Christian's, its theosis, for muslims its paradise, for Buddhists it is nirvana, for Hindus it is to achieve Samsarra, for Daoists it is The Way.

Most pagan Faith's ( Hellens, Shinto, virtue cults ) just want a good mortal life and a pleasant after life ( Elysium or apotheosis if you're a go getter).

Good theology has logic and motive behind it

I'm currently writing a post, also, I believe you've missed a post, but I believe what you interpret as pondering was actually the convincing. The current post is about rescuing a irresponsible tribe member, attributing doing it to being given the ability to do so by his God ( promptly named Abu Sakra [ translation: Father of the Desert ), thus convincing said tribe member towards Aleksander's religion, and it spiralling from there to quietly converting most of the young adult population of the tribe. I'm currently stumped at the last stage however thank you for saying that faiths have missions, does a mission of self-betterment ( honing and improving skills, with slight emphasis put on martial skill ) to be granted a better afterlife fit?
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Prairistan
Attaché

Founded: Feb 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Prairistan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Prairistan Signup!
Name: Ben
H/W: 5 foot 7 and 105 lb.s
Skin, hair, eyes: Pale, platinum blonde, dull blue
no job
Education: just finished high school
Physique: Tall and gangly
Skills: speedy, quick learner, has much knowledge of science
Origin: Norman, Oklahoma, USA
Stuff i was doing before appaering in past: falling asleep in bed
Personality: Smart ambivert with trust issues
Location of spawn: Adelaide, Australia
What is "writing sample"

I apologize if the form is not right. My copy and paste is screwed up, so i emulated the form.
Can i join?
Last edited by Prairistan on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This some what represents my views, with a few exceptions.
New Civilizations III rules!
Don't screw with me politically. I dislike it.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Ralnis wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Think of it this way - Europe will be too devastated to hold up against the Sumerian invasion :)

I don't know about that, the Imperium already had a cure so that idea had been thrown out.

Um... sort of. Their cure is based upon a handful of people who've had the less lethal cousin virus, specifically, using their bodily fluids and distributing them to others in hopes that they catch the virus as well. They're using like 6 dudes and their mucus to try and immunize over 300,000 people. That's going to take a rather long amount of time, and a lot of people are going to die in the interim. Just saying, a go getter warlord could really make something of thiiiiiis....
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Prairistan wrote:Prairistan Signup!
Name: Ben
H/W: 5 foot 7 and 105 lb.s
Skin, hair, eyes: Pale, platinum blonde, dull blue
no job
Education: just finished high school
Physique: Tall and gangly
Skills: speedy, quick learner, has much knowledge of science
Origin: Norman, Oklahoma, USA
Stuff i was doing before appaering in past: falling asleep in bed
Personality: Smart ambivert with trust issues
Location of spawn: Adelaide, Australia
What is "writing sample"

I apologize if the form is not right. My copy and paste is screwed up, so i emulated the form.
Can i join?

I'll drop the format you're supposed to copy below. Just hit the quote button and delete everything I wrote above it, and delete the little bracket at the bottom that says [/quote]. A writing sample is just a sample of your writing. Give us a short story. We want to know if you're a competent writer or not. ( A least a paragraph or more ). I would also ask that you look at previous apps, such as listed on the link which says, Author List, on the first page. We want more specific and encompassing detail. As for skills, I would suggest you look at rule 10. Did you really just finish highschool at 15? Does Ben have a last name?

Author Applicaiton
Name:
Skin, hair, and eye description:
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession:
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ):
Physique description:
Useful skills:

National Origin:
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?:
Description of personality:
Where in the world are you landing?:

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ):

Writing Sample:

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?:
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?:
Why did you chose to land where you did?:
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?:
What are your character's motivations?:
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:
Last edited by Joohan on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Endem wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Aleksander has to be convinced of it first. Last we left off, he was just pondering on the unlikelyness of his happening upon safe haven in the desert, no? What event has inspired him of the divine? Before he himself can make others believe, he'll have to convince himself. Proclaiming oneself a servant of the divine or some supernatural mission requires a lot of characterization.

Then, if you plan on converting others that requires a mission statement for them to believe in. For Christian's, its theosis, for muslims its paradise, for Buddhists it is nirvana, for Hindus it is to achieve Samsarra, for Daoists it is The Way.

Most pagan Faith's ( Hellens, Shinto, virtue cults ) just want a good mortal life and a pleasant after life ( Elysium or apotheosis if you're a go getter).

Good theology has logic and motive behind it

I'm currently writing a post, also, I believe you've missed a post, but I believe what you interpret as pondering was actually the convincing. The current post is about rescuing a irresponsible tribe member, attributing doing it to being given the ability to do so by his God ( promptly named Abu Sakra [ translation: Father of the Desert ), thus convincing said tribe member towards Aleksander's religion, and it spiralling from there to quietly converting most of the young adult population of the tribe. I'm currently stumped at the last stage however thank you for saying that faiths have missions, does a mission of self-betterment ( honing and improving skills, with slight emphasis put on martial skill ) to be granted a better afterlife fit?

Yeah, that will convince laymen. But a pleasant afterlife isn't much in way of theology. If you want people to really catch onto the religion you're attempting to set up, you'll need an ethos, a way of superior thinking. What's the difference between your faith and any other pagan religion with a nice afterlife?

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Joohan wrote:
Ralnis wrote:I don't know about that, the Imperium already had a cure so that idea had been thrown out.

Um... sort of. Their cure is based upon a handful of people who've had the less lethal cousin virus, specifically, using their bodily fluids and distributing them to others in hopes that they catch the virus as well. They're using like 6 dudes and their mucus to try and immunize over 300,000 people. That's going to take a rather long amount of time, and a lot of people are going to die in the interim. Just saying, a go getter warlord could really make something of thiiiiiis....

I mean my march into Turkey for their resources and making the Sumerian greed machine become even more powerful? Only thing that are nuisances are the two Arab freedom fighters which are just pirates and a tribe with delusions of grandeur.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 am

Joohan wrote:
Endem wrote:I'm currently writing a post, also, I believe you've missed a post, but I believe what you interpret as pondering was actually the convincing. The current post is about rescuing a irresponsible tribe member, attributing doing it to being given the ability to do so by his God ( promptly named Abu Sakra [ translation: Father of the Desert ), thus convincing said tribe member towards Aleksander's religion, and it spiralling from there to quietly converting most of the young adult population of the tribe. I'm currently stumped at the last stage however thank you for saying that faiths have missions, does a mission of self-betterment ( honing and improving skills, with slight emphasis put on martial skill ) to be granted a better afterlife fit?

Yeah, that will convince laymen. But a pleasant afterlife isn't much in way of theology. If you want people to really catch onto the religion you're attempting to set up, you'll need an ethos, a way of superior thinking. What's the difference between your faith and any other pagan religion with a nice afterlife?

Uuuh, well, there's monotheism for starters, and uh, emphasis on tribal relationships, like, I wanted to introduce a sort of hierarchy ( family: clan. brother/sister of blood: any Arab, or if the worshipper is Sumerian, any Sumer, if the worshipper is from Elam, any Elamite, and so on. brother/sister of faith: any worshipper ), and a worshipper would need to treat any of the above groups like family but aiding them to varying degrees ( family takes precedence over faith, faith takes precedence over blood ). Aside from that the aforementioned emphasis on individual skill. Lastly a guaranteed freedom, in that, you will not be chained or freedom taken away from you, and freeing people who are chained would then be considered a virtue, and freedom a goal. Aside from that a reverence for water, assigning it semi-sacred quality, while still permitting its use on a daily basis. Uh, a form of praying by turning towards the nearest church tower and laying on the ground so that only the arms and the legs touch the ground ( sort of like one of the Tibetan sleep postures ) and reciting one of 12 prayers corresponding to a month, but I wanted to introduce that element after I actually have churches. Oh right, one of the virtues would be considered spreading the religion itself by proselytizing.

Is that enough or should I add more?
Last edited by Endem on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 am

I am curious before I do it. I would like to have plague sniffing dogs come out of Salt. They have successfully quarantined, cleaned and sealed off Salt. Now they are going to patrol in quarantine armor (an armored protective suit) on horseback and on foot with plague sniffing dogs.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am

UniversalCommons wrote:I am curious before I do it. I would like to have plague sniffing dogs come out of Salt. They have successfully quarantined, cleaned and sealed off Salt. Now they are going to patrol in quarantine armor (an armored protective suit) on horseback and on foot with plague sniffing dogs.

Not sure honestly how you could train a dog to sniff for one disease in the age of diseases. Even in the modern day such efforts are very dubious.

Also, yay, raiders. This should be fun.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:I am curious before I do it. I would like to have plague sniffing dogs come out of Salt. They have successfully quarantined, cleaned and sealed off Salt. Now they are going to patrol in quarantine armor (an armored protective suit) on horseback and on foot with plague sniffing dogs.

Not sure honestly how you could train a dog to sniff for one disease in the age of diseases. Even in the modern day such efforts are very dubious.

Bit of extra nuisance about the dudes attacking the quarantined section of the Imperium. They're cowards. They're not going to fight opened pitch battles, or throw themselves against sturdy stone walls if they can help it. They're here to get laid and get paid, by bullying all the settlements that are too sick to really stop them. That isnt to say though that they're just a bunch of savages - most of these dudes are coming down from the Balkan hills and mountains, and are thus a fairly advanced NPC civ in their own right, with robust discipline, tactics, hierarchy, and a fair understanding of iron and primitive steel work ( in addition to all the stuff that they've traded and stole from the Imperium ). These guys are a pretty serious threat, riding high on stolen riches, and with enough brain and brawn to defend themselves from most threats.

Edit: oh yes, and of course, the hostages. Trading kidnapped civilians ( mostly women and children ) with first men and local elite in exchange for weapons or wealth. Kind of a self perpetuating cycle there
Last edited by Joohan on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:20 am

Joohan wrote:

Bit of extra nuisance about the dudes attacking the quarantined section of the Imperium. They're cowards. They're not going to fight opened pitch battles, or throw themselves against sturdy stone walls if they can help it. They're here to get laid and get paid, by bullying all the settlements that are too sick to really stop them. That isnt to say though that they're just a bunch of savages - most of these dudes are coming down from the Balkan hills and mountains, and are thus a fairly advanced NPC civ in their own right, with robust discipline, tactics, hierarchy, and a fair understanding of iron and primitive steel work ( in addition to all the stuff that they've traded and stole from the Imperium ). These guys are a pretty serious threat, riding high on stolen riches, and with enough brain and brawn to defend themselves from most threats.

Edit: oh yes, and of course, the hostages. Trading kidnapped civilians ( mostly women and children ) with first men and local elite in exchange for weapons or wealth. Kind of a self perpetuating cycle there

Sure, about what I figured. Generic bandits emboldened by breakdown of order, wielding repurposed tools as weapons alongside local reproductions. Mind if I put some Norse in their ranks, men who couldn’t acclimatize to civilized life in Dacia?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:23 am

Joohan wrote:

You mean they're as advanced as Sumeria? Well shit, guess I should change my name to Caesar's Legion then. :p

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am

Joohan wrote:

Sure, about what I figured. Generic bandits emboldened by breakdown of order, wielding repurposed tools as weapons alongside local reproductions. Mind if I put some Norse in their ranks, men who couldn’t acclimatize to civilized life in Dacia?

I'd liken them more to goths than simple bands of bandits, in that they have the support ( either outright or implicit) of their tribal entities.

You wanna add some rogue norsemen go for it - old habits die hard.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:52 am

Joohan wrote:

I for one think several of their leaders should be old Norse raiders trying to relive the glory days. It'd make for good writing

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am

Bortslovakia wrote:

I for one think several of their leaders should be old Norse raiders trying to relive the glory days. It'd make for good writing

Indeed. Plus thats basically one of the few established facts about the local populace - there be Norsemen here.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:I for one think several of their leaders should be old Norse raiders trying to relive the glory days. It'd make for good writing

Indeed. Plus thats basically one of the few established facts about the local populace - there be Norsemen here.

I could see a kind Arminius situation in that. Norsemen commanders using their time served with the imperials as a tool to fight utilize against them.

However you wanna handle it, it's up to you, so long as it's not something waved away in a few posts or you make them absolutely gullible and incompetent.

The, round 2, event comes later

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Now I wish I was there being a raider. Would've been more fun then Luther being what he is now.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 pm

Joohan wrote:

I could see a kind Arminius situation in that. Norsemen commanders using their time served with the imperials as a tool to fight utilize against them.

However you wanna handle it, it's up to you, so long as it's not something waved away in a few posts or you make them absolutely gullible and incompetent.

Oh they won’t live long. But then again, c’est la vie. Plus I think the fact I’ve spent the better part of a dozen posts dealing with this Red Plague speaks to my willingness to RP out events.

Ralnis wrote:Now I wish I was there being a raider. Would've been more fun then Luther being what he is now.

You can have another civil war, if you want. Peasants versus the elites who enslave them and had them slaughtered in wars of petty religion and power.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Joohan wrote:

Oh they won’t live long. But then again, c’est la vie. Plus I think the fact I’ve spent the better part of a dozen posts dealing with this Red Plague speaks to my willingness to RP out events.

Ralnis wrote:Now I wish I was there being a raider. Would've been more fun then Luther being what he is now.

You can have another civil war, if you want. Peasants versus the elites who enslave them and had them slaughtered in wars of petty religion and power.

And cause another Red Plague upon the world? No thanks, I'll take Sumeria taking advantage of the crisis than another 20 years of warfare.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 am

https://youtu.be/P5ZJui3aPoQ
I'm having a moment at 3:30 am
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:https://youtu.be/P5ZJui3aPoQ

Are ya going on some kind of a war

Also,

Answer me Joohan
Endem wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Uuuh, well, there's monotheism for starters, and uh, emphasis on tribal relationships, like, I wanted to introduce a sort of hierarchy ( family: clan. brother/sister of blood: any Arab, or if the worshipper is Sumerian, any Sumer, if the worshipper is from Elam, any Elamite, and so on. brother/sister of faith: any worshipper ), and a worshipper would need to treat any of the above groups like family but aiding them to varying degrees ( family takes precedence over faith, faith takes precedence over blood ). Aside from that the aforementioned emphasis on individual skill. Lastly a guaranteed freedom, in that, you will not be chained or freedom taken away from you, and freeing people who are chained would then be considered a virtue, and freedom a goal. Aside from that a reverence for water, assigning it semi-sacred quality, while still permitting its use on a daily basis. Uh, a form of praying by turning towards the nearest church tower and laying on the ground so that only the arms and the legs touch the ground ( sort of like one of the Tibetan sleep postures ) and reciting one of 12 prayers corresponding to a month, but I wanted to introduce that element after I actually have churches. Oh right, one of the virtues would be considered spreading the religion itself by proselytizing.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 am

Endem wrote:
Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:https://youtu.be/P5ZJui3aPoQ

Are ya going on some kind of a war

Also,

Answer me Joohan
Endem wrote:

I mean, not really what I had in mind in terms of theology, but what you want to create is up to you. I'm not going to tell you that your religion wont be inspiring - the story is yours to make.

I will say though that ritual has purpose and history behind it. Things like praying several times a day and reverance of water should probably have a solid basis behind them. Christian's dont simply celebrate the eucharist because it's cool, but because there is a purpose which can be traced back in history, to during the 1st supper. Jews celebrate passover and in the way they do for a specific reason. So on and so forth.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:18 am

Ah, war! A good word, an honest word. The Arab warriors will burn your cities and take your heads. A pity you are not a handsome folk.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 am

Joohan wrote:
Endem wrote:Are ya going on some kind of a war

Also,

Answer me Joohan

I mean, not really what I had in mind in terms of theology, but what you want to create is up to you. I'm not going to tell you that your religion wont be inspiring - the story is yours to make.

I will say though that ritual has purpose and history behind it. Things like praying several times a day and reverance of water should probably have a solid basis behind them. Christian's dont simply celebrate the eucharist because it's cool, but because there is a purpose which can be traced back in history, to during the 1st supper. Jews celebrate passover and in the way they do for a specific reason. So on and so forth.

Alright, understood, will do so.
Also, please tell me what you had in mind so that I can readjust what I'm doing wrong.
Last edited by Endem on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse