NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Again, G, there is no cure via variolation. Unsanitary conditions caused by the infected's droplet transmission is more than enough to cause sufficient levels of contamination, given the close and filthy conditions of the era - look at what awful affect cholera and typhoid have across the developing world, places which have arguably even higher standards of sanitation than most of Europe rn - there is no need for a cousin disease to spread via pustules or buboes, or any other simple means by which one could easily get out of this event.

Whatever your mans cut himself with, it wasn't related to the red flux, and whatever it is you're administering to the people past the iron gates, it isn't a cure.

Edit: oh, and I had a question about your fire weapons. What actually is the means by which you ignite them? In your posts, you've described them as being shot out of ballistae, and then as their capsules broke they burned whatever it was they were shot upon. What actually ignites them however after they've been fired? I know that quicklime will increase in temperature upon making contact with water, but you've described it as igniting on land and even on the decks of boats - how?
Last edited by Joohan on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Joohan wrote:Again, G, there is no cure via variolation. Unsanitary conditions caused by the infected's droplet transmission is more than enough to cause sufficient levels of contamination, given the close and filthy conditions of the era - look at what awful affect cholera and typhoid have across the developing world, places which have arguably even higher standards of sanitation than most of Europe rn - there is no need for a cousin disease to spread via pustules or buboes, or any other simple means by which one could easily get out of this event.

Whatever your mans cut himself with, it wasn't related to the red flux, and whatever it is you're administering to the people past the iron gates, it isn't a cure.

You changed your mind then? The last thing you told me was:

Joohan wrote:I'm willing to add a less lethal variant of the disease so that immunization will eventually take hold over a portion of Europe, but it won't have any physical deformities which would allow for primitive inoculation.

to which I responded:

G-Tech Corporation wrote:But anyway, as I said, I'm not married to buboes.

To which I got no response. I thence removed the reference to buboes as the source of the variolation agent - which might be a bit of a confusion, to be fair.

To clarify- I'm not working with variolation in the form of powdered sores or excreted pus, but simply via infected fluids (sweat, phlegm) in the late stages of the Bloody Flux. Given that's an analogous infection vector to the Red Flux, that seems reasonable enough. Unless you're saying that there can't be any genotypically similar infections to the Red Flux, in which case we need to circle back to how it hasn't devastated Sumeria and the Middle East, given it originated there.

You said you were fine with there being a less lethal version of the disease, which makes sense to have a reservoir in Sumerian populaces. The Imperium's efforts to catalog and monitor public health had records of this less lethal version, and so Vitkor isolated the strain and intentionally reproduced it in a mobile body of volunteers. Viktor is now exposing segments of the Imperial populace on the frontlines to this less lethal version, to produce a firebreak against the Red Flux herself. That's basic immunology, though I don't mind if you object to calling it variolation - it technically isn't, but that's a convenient term to use to explain it to the general populace, given they've already been inoculated via variolation against smallpox.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 pm

I've not back tracked on anything, simply saying that this cousin disease will not have the symptoms you desire.

You might be able to harvest phlegm, sweat, or other liquids to act as a immunizing agent - but I don't know to what extent you are honestly expecting. I would imagine the Sumerian population in the Imperium to be quite tiny - and the number of infected with the cousin disease to be even smaller. Whatever you are able to harvest from these handful of individuals I would sorely doubt is capable of being utilized as an immunizer for a camp of people.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Joohan wrote:I've not back tracked on anything, simply saying that this cousin disease will not have the symptoms you desire.

You might be able to harvest phlegm, sweat, or other liquids to act as a immunizing agent - but I don't know to what extent you are honestly expecting. I would imagine the Sumerian population in the Imperium to be quite tiny - and the number of infected with the cousin disease to be even smaller. Whatever you are able to harvest from these handful of individuals I would sorely doubt is capable of being utilized as an immunizer for a camp of people.

Oh, yeah, that'll be a problem of course - no doubt about that. Just a challenge to overcome. We're on the same page then. I thought you were ruling out the sympathetic disease entirely, which wouldn't make the most sense.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:40 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:I've not back tracked on anything, simply saying that this cousin disease will not have the symptoms you desire.

Oh, yeah, that'll be a problem of course - no doubt about that. Just a challenge to overcome. We're on the same page then. I thought you were ruling out the sympathetic disease entirely, which wouldn't make the most sense.

Aight, then, just so long as you're aware that it's not going to be all that effective.

Also, I added an edited part to the bottom of that, about your fire weapons.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:45 am

Curious if we will be able to identify people who have become immune. Lets say that they have caught the disease twice and survived. If we can do this, then we can have better treatment, because they can feed people and give people herbs without getting sick. This is how the disease was treated in places like ancient Athens. The twice born. Recruiting survivors to help heal the sick.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:54 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Curious if we will be able to identify people who have become immune. Lets say that they have caught the disease twice and survived. If we can do this, then we can have better treatment, because they can feed people and give people herbs without getting sick. This is how the disease was treated in places like ancient Athens. The twice born. Recruiting survivors to help heal the sick.

Joohan can confirm, but I would hazard a guess that his "getting the disease twice" was poetic language for no viral immunity period. I can't actually think of any RL disease where one exposure doesn't produce immunity, but two do.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Curious if we will be able to identify people who have become immune. Lets say that they have caught the disease twice and survived. If we can do this, then we can have better treatment, because they can feed people and give people herbs without getting sick. This is how the disease was treated in places like ancient Athens. The twice born. Recruiting survivors to help heal the sick.

Joohan can confirm, but I would hazard a guess that his "getting the disease twice" was poetic language for no viral immunity period. I can't actually think of any RL disease where one exposure doesn't produce immunity, but two do.

Yeah, no, that shouldn't be possible unless the Red Flux specifically destroys Memory B Cells, still, even if we assume those cells are destroyed by the viruses, we can assume if you survive you have a week or two of immunity when antibodies concentrations are still high, because your immune system needed to kill the virus's in your body.

Even if we make the assumption that the virus targets Memory B Cells, then there is no way to explain why would a second infection produce immunity.
Last edited by Endem on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 am

Endem wrote:

Yeah, no, that shouldn't be possible unless the Red Flux specifically destroys Memory B Cells, still, even if we assume those cells are destroyed by the various, we can assume if you survive you have a week or two of immunity when antibodies concentrations are still high, because your immune system needed to kill the virus's in your body.

Even if we make the assumption that the virus targets Memory B Cells, then there is no way to explain why would a second infection produce immunity.

Indeed. The latency period for re-infection is about nine days, apparently - which, given you can be infected again, wouldn't really jive with a second infection producing immunity where the first didn't.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Joohan wrote:Also, I added an edited part to the bottom of that, about your fire weapons.

Ah, I understand your confusion - those are two different munitions. As you've rightly noted, firing a quicklime-based incendiary on land is foolhardy, or rather more technically, haphazard. Land-based artillery of the Imperium uses conventional incendiaries, primarily light wood oil volatiles and more recently petroleum volatiles combined with a heavier flammable base, naphtha. Light the charge, fire the charge, charge bursts in flight if timed well, spreading fiery chaos across a foe.

The aquatic munitions are rather different. Quicklime fire, or 'battle fire', as the Imperium terms it, does rely on the exothermic process for ignition - but that doesn't render it less effective on the deck of a ship, rather the opposite. It is important to remember that a ship in this time is a veritable tinderbox if built in a usable configuration; tar-twine caulking between planks, oiled rigging, treated wood, impregnated sails. Douse it with a touch of quicklime and a mix of sawdust, petroleum volatiles, and let that combine with even a trace amount of water, and the conflagration will be a real devil. Ships have plenty of that trace water on their decks when at sea, certainly when underway at combat speeds. You only need something on the margin of one parts in twenty water to quicklime to reach an optimal reaction ratio for heat production, and that's something the deck of ship will be up to the task of providing.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Even with the most virulent diseases, there is usually a between 25-90% death rate. Some people survive. I had mentioned the marden virus because there is no cure for it and no vaccination. People can be fed fluids and the symptoms can be treated making it more likely there will be survival. However, the only answer is complete isolation. With that isolation comes new ideas about diseases. The unclean, the carrier, as well as fears.

Identify-- first step-- figure out how to quickly identify people who have plague. The faster the better because there may be an incubation period. Maybe signs of it show first in the groin area or on the face. This is not clear yet. Easier identification means more people survive.
Isolate-- keep them separate
Clean-- keep everything very clean, ethanol cleansers
Protect-- Develop protect clothing-- oilskin, waxed leather, masks, gloves, boots, a big factor is protective herbs and salves-- there is the idea of the four thieves or herbal washes which prevented people from getting the plague. The classic medieval story is that thieves were robbing houses of plague victims, they had developed a protective herbal solution which allowed them to steal from empty houses....
Treat-- treat the symptoms-- the most important thing would not be to worry whether someone lives, but stop them from spitting all over everything and spreading germs, suppress coughs, clean the body, destroy the clothing, clean the areas.

This is more effective on islands where they can stop people from going to them or have better protection. Also compounds and walled cities.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Wow, Arabia's gonna be 100% slave-free now, when I get done with establishing my nation up north and freeing slaves beings one of the religious tenets, and now Olivia also got rid of slaves in her civ.

Nice
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:20 am

Endem wrote:Wow, Arabia's gonna be 100% slave-free now, when I get done with establishing my nation up north and freeing slaves beings one of the religious tenets, and now Olivia also got rid of slaves in her civ.

Nice

You know it baby!!! Let’s go get that bread!
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Joohan wrote:Also, I added an edited part to the bottom of that, about your fire weapons.

Ah, I understand your confusion - those are two different munitions. As you've rightly noted, firing a quicklime-based incendiary on land is foolhardy, or rather more technically, haphazard. Land-based artillery of the Imperium uses conventional incendiaries, primarily light wood oil volatiles and more recently petroleum volatiles combined with a heavier flammable base, naphtha. Light the charge, fire the charge, charge bursts in flight if timed well, spreading fiery chaos across a foe.

The aquatic munitions are rather different. Quicklime fire, or 'battle fire', as the Imperium terms it, does rely on the exothermic process for ignition - but that doesn't render it less effective on the deck of a ship, rather the opposite. It is important to remember that a ship in this time is a veritable tinderbox if built in a usable configuration; tar-twine caulking between planks, oiled rigging, treated wood, impregnated sails. Douse it with a touch of quicklime and a mix of sawdust, petroleum volatiles, and let that combine with even a trace amount of water, and the conflagration will be a real devil. Ships have plenty of that trace water on their decks when at sea, certainly when underway at combat speeds. You only need something on the margin of one parts in twenty water to quicklime to reach an optimal reaction ratio for heat production, and that's something the deck of ship will be up to the task of providing.

What is the petroleum volatile specifically? If you're using quicklime as an igniter, then it couldn't be naphtha

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:52 pm

Joohan wrote:

What is the petroleum volatile specifically? If you're using quicklime as an igniter, then it couldn't be naphtha

Naphtha is predominantly used with the conventional incendiaries, hence why it was in the first paragraph - since things aimed at with on land are less likely to be tinderboxes than a ship at sea, and thus need some feedstock for the flames to be, well, more than an inconvenience. Aquatic munitions do include naphtha, for that lovely sticking-to-the-skin-and-burning outcome, but rely on both the naphtha being partially volatilized and the wood oils/sawdust for the ignition itself. Quicklime slaking will hit point sources of 300 C, which is plenty to ignite everything in that package. Distill some sap for the terpenes, and that's a flash fireball, with some nasty components which will burn for longer and set the whole ship ablaze.

Dry Town
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Dry Town » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Author Applicaiton
Name: Barnaby Caldwell
Height and Weight: 180 pounds 6"6
Skin, hair, and eye description: Burnt red skin (not actually red but just sunburnt), sandy blonde hair and pale green eyes.
( Optional ) Picture:

Prior Profession: Prospector (I am actually one, don't joke)
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): A degree in Geology.
Physique description: Stocky.
Useful skills: Rock identification and strength

National Origin: USA
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Searching a cave in Alabama.
Description of personality: Easily angered, adventurous, blundering and hands-on
Where in the world are you landing?: Colorado

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Barnaby was born many years ago on a farm in Texas. It was extremely poor and he had 6 older siblings. However, after his father died in an unfortunate accident, his mother ran off with another man, leaving the farm with her children, now 17-28 years old. Over time his siblings slowly left the farm until only Barnaby Remained. He decided to sell the farm to another company and use the money to create a business selling books. The business grew in success until Barnaby had enough to persue his love of Geology and Rocks.

Writing Sample: (None to show)

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?:
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?:
Why did you chose to land where you did?:
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?:
What are your character's motivations?:
Theme Song?:
What do you wanna see in this RP? What would make it better?:

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:26 pm

Joohan wrote:

Naphtha is predominantly used with the conventional incendiaries, hence why it was in the first paragraph - since things aimed at with on land are less likely to be tinderboxes than a ship at sea, and thus need some feedstock for the flames to be, well, more than an inconvenience. Aquatic munitions do include naphtha, for that lovely sticking-to-the-skin-and-burning outcome, but rely on both the naphtha being partially volatilized and the wood oils/sawdust for the ignition itself. Quicklime slaking will hit point sources of 300 C, which is plenty to ignite everything in that package. Distill some sap for the terpenes, and that's a flash fireball, with some nasty components which will burn for longer and set the whole ship ablaze.

You know, a while ago I was involved in a character rp (nothing related to NS). I was playing a nutty hedge wizard(actually a herbalist and surgeon profession wise), and my big thing was making quicklime grenades. Was good fun.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:56 am

Bortslovakia wrote:

You know, a while ago I was involved in a character rp (nothing related to NS). I was playing a nutty hedge wizard(actually a herbalist and surgeon profession wise), and my big thing was making quicklime grenades. Was good fun.

Chemistry is amusing. Though, producing quicklime isn't necessarily the most fun process. Your poor character.

Dry Town wrote:Author Applicaiton
Skin, hair, and eye description: Burnt red skin (not actually red but just sunburnt), sandy blonde hair and pale green eyes.
( Optional ) Picture:

Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): A degree in Geology.

What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Searching a cave in Alabama.
Description of personality: Easily angered, adventurous, blundering and hands-on

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Barnaby was born many years ago on a farm in Texas. It was extremely poor and he had 6 older siblings. However, after his father died in an unfortunate accident, his mother ran off with another man, leaving the farm with her children, now 17-28 years old. Over time his siblings slowly left the farm until only Barnaby Remained. He decided to sell the farm to another company and use the money to create a business selling books. The business grew in success until Barnaby had enough to persue his love of Geology and Rocks.

( Optional on down)
Theme Song?:

Nothing here seems out of place - just one caveat. I think you mentioned it above, but you are aware that we aim for our Authors to be reflections of our Real Life selves? Merely confirming you got that memo from the opening post, since not everybody does.

Dry Town
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Dry Town » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 am

Bortslovakia wrote:You know, a while ago I was involved in a character rp (nothing related to NS). I was playing a nutty hedge wizard(actually a herbalist and surgeon profession wise), and my big thing was making quicklime grenades. Was good fun.

Chemistry is amusing. Though, producing quicklime isn't necessarily the most fun process. Your poor character.

( Optional ) Picture:

( Optional on down)
Theme Song?:

Nothing here seems out of place - just one caveat. I think you mentioned it above, but you are aware that we aim for our Authors to be reflections of our Real Life selves? Merely confirming you got that memo from the opening post, since not everybody does.

Yes, that’s as close to me I can get as not me.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:18 am

Dry Town wrote:Yes, that’s as close to me I can get as not me.

Cool, cool.

( Optional ) Picture:

( Optional on down)
Theme Song?:

Looks good, j'accept and welcome. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:39 am

Trying to think of some ridiculous looking protective gear. Goggles, wigs, Hemp plastic Facemasks with goggles, waxed leather, oil skins. Wear a wig, a plastic face mask with goggles, and multicolored oilskin suit. A fashion statement for the plague.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:You know, a while ago I was involved in a character rp (nothing related to NS). I was playing a nutty hedge wizard(actually a herbalist and surgeon profession wise), and my big thing was making quicklime grenades. Was good fun.

See I avoided the issue altogether and just imported it through a player merchant. I had a lot of money despite only rarely charging people for my services.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm

... 72,000 characters... 59,000 words...on my own... it's done

Not everything I wanted, I wanted to show what happens after we blew open the gates, but this has taken too long as is. Plus, I had a whole other scene planned with Mendolen and a certain letter he was sending out.

Anyways, i'll summarize: Issac's dead, ascends into the Icedonian pantheon, Mendolen is the new Sevrant, West Army arrives in Dublin and with the help of loyalist marines and people inside the city, they're able to retake the city. Black Company finally come out of hiding in the western wilderness to lay the smack down on the imperial army with their guns and snazzy black uniforms.

I didn't write this part, cause i'm so tired, but it is important: Byrne escapes before we fully capture the city. Had it to were the marines didn't seize one of the gates in time, and he managed to slip through. After we break through the citadel gates, the remaining guard take refuge in the royal estate. They agree to surrender, under the condition that they not be harmed, and that they surrender over Kathleen who is also inside. Kathleen is back ( hurray ).

I've also got a letter to write too, which really I can't just summarize because i'm kind of proud of it's Machiavellian nature.
Last edited by Joohan on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Joohan wrote:

Ah, you know what, I was getting autoignition temp confused with flashpoint temp - you're good.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Joohan wrote:... 72,000 characters... 59,000 words...on my own... it's done

Not everything I wanted, I wanted to show what happens after we blew open the gates, but this has taken too long as is. Plus, I had a whole other scene planned with Mendolen and a certain letter he was sending out.

Anyways, i'll summarize: Issac's dead, ascends into the Icedonian pantheon, Mendolen is the new Sevrant, West Army arrives in Dublin and with the help of loyalist marines and people inside the city, they're able to retake the city. Black Company finally come out of hiding in the western wilderness to lay the smack down on the imperial army with their guns and snazzy black uniforms.

I didn't write this part, cause i'm so tired, but it is important: Byrne escapes before we fully capture the city. Had it to were the marines didn't seize one of the gates in time, and he managed to slip through. After we break through the citadel gates, the remaining guard take refuge in the royal estate. They agree to surrender, under the condition that they not be harmed, and that they surrender over Kathleen who is also inside. Kathleen is back ( hurray ).

I've also got a letter to write too, which really I can't just summarize because i'm kind of proud of it's Machiavellian nature.

Wait Isaac is dead? Isn’t he your author?
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse