NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm

Also I am thinking there will become a standardized herbal formula that is suspended in a syrupy alcoholic solution. The solution is sealed inside glass containers with a wax seal and distributed throughout the league.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Posted, I don't like the fact that my posts come out shorter than I'd like, anyway how's the post?
and next time on Endem fails to write good characters: Alexander rescues someone, and gets the first follower for real this time
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 pm

It is a good post. Some details could be added from the time period. A little bit of non- wikipedia reading is good. Usually to get a sense of the way the countryside looks. Even a travel guide can help. It gives a sense of imagery. Mainly landscape. Also basic country guides. I like to read about wildlife and environmental features sometimes. Get a sense of what is being hunted, describe the animals, rocks, terrain. Sometimes young adult books are good because they have a lot more pictures and are more general. Most historical fiction or alternate history has a decent amount of research in it.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:18 am

Unrelated question: do you guys think it would be possible to grow almonds in Sumer?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 am

Endem wrote:Unrelated question: do you guys think it would be possible to grow almonds in Sumer?

My -guess- is that almonds are a very water-intensive crop, and so unlikely to flourish in Mesopotamia away from direct river sources. The places that grow them tend to be a bit cooler than Sumer. But that doesn’t mean it would be impossible, perhaps just suboptimal.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Endem wrote:Unrelated question: do you guys think it would be possible to grow almonds in Sumer?

My -guess- is that almonds are a very water-intensive crop, and so unlikely to flourish in Mesopotamia away from direct river sources. The places that grow them tend to be a bit cooler than Sumer. But that doesn’t mean it would be impossible, perhaps just suboptimal.

I see *adds Elam to the list of places to conquer* I really need to get my hands on some of them bitter almonds

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:01 am

Almonds are listed as a culinary item in Sumer in some of the lexical lists. They are also discussed in Egypt and Greece. They might be a common trade item as they are listed as part of Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine as well as Greek medicine.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:32 am

UniversalCommons wrote:

Almonds are listed as a culinary item in Sumer in some of the lexical lists. They are also discussed in Egypt and Greece. They might be a common trade item as they are listed as part of Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine as well as Greek medicine.

I thought of uses other than medicinal for almonds, but good to know

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:28 am

"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Are you commissioning these? It's been so long that I honestly forget.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm

Bortslovakia wrote:

Are you commissioning these? It's been so long that I honestly forget.

Ye.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Are you commissioning these? It's been so long that I honestly forget.

Ye.

Glad I remembered correctly. They're fantastic.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:42 am

-Nuverkikstan

Rhir
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

New Civilizations III ( OOC, Always Open )

Postby Rhir » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Author Applicaiton
Name: Ewan Kohring
Height and Weight: 6'6", 152 Pounds
Skin, hair, and eye description: Pale skin and long, fluffy dark brown hair that spills down in soft waves just above hazel eyes.

Prior Profession: No professional experience.
Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Freshman Highschool education, AP Human Geography in particular would be of use, as well as Introduction to Business and Marketing giving a very basic understanding of some modern economic concepts.
Physique description: To call Ewan lanky would likely be generous, depending on your defintion. Though his broad build combined with his height does help make the low weight caused by moderate anorexia be less glaring, it is none the less clear in his skelatal arms and hands. Neither does his lack of activity do him any favors in the department of looking less like a skeleton, given the pale skin that hugs his largely muscleless bones. The heavy, dark bags that frame his eyes only add to the downright unhealthy appearance, though the puppy-like nose and soft facial features have earned him a good few compliments, as have the eyes that he would consider to look very "dead".
Useful skills: Considering Ewan an expert at anything other reaching high things would be far too complimentary.

National Origin: United States of America
What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Listening to some sad indie-pop musician at 4 A.M in bed before passing out.
Description of personality: Ewan is incredibly laid back and well-tempered, though he used to wrestle with anger problems he has long since mellowed out to far calmer than the usual person. Finding difficulty in genuine hating anything, or anyone, it is rare for him to feel any real intense emotion. While some may think this sounds uncaring, he does his best to treat people as well as he can, especially his highly valued close friends. Acting on a simple belief that all people deserve to be happy, he does his best to help people in bad mental positions, which he has gotten quite good at from much, much experience in both assisting people in and personally being in those positions, partially as a form of self-therapy, and partially out of sympathy. Though he is not incapable of being rude with a failed joke or unintentionally, he will do his best to make up for it and apologize when the issue arises.
Where in the world are you landing?: In the Finger Lakes, New York, along the banks of what is now Cayuga Lake.

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Ewan was born to a decently off family in Dallas, Texas, and grew into his childhood attending a montessori school in the area before entering mainline education. He was raised entirely irreligious, and continued to be so as he aged, due to his father being agnostic and mother christian, though he did pray at his montessori school at lunch as it mandated, he didn't quite understand what was happening when he did. Unfortunately, while in mid-elementary, his mother lost the job she had held for the majority of his life at the time, heavily destabilizing their financial situation and forcing them out of the house they had rented for his whole life. This led to, for a few years, the family moving every year or two until things stabilized with an apartment in Dallas, though they were forced out of the second to last one they lived in through gentrification before fully stabilizing and beginning to save up enough to return to renting a small home with money from his mother's new job.

Experiences with gentrification, as well as living in low income areas around those of other ethnicities and cultures, led to Ewan adopting a much more progressive and left-wing view of the world rather early in life, and quickly got him interested in the political process. He approached highschool class selection with the goal of eventually becoming a politician in mind, though he also planned to pursue twitch streaming as a hobby during the summers and if that took off, well, he wasn't a man for overplanning the future. Any of these vague ideas for his future however, would be overturned by his awakening in the past one morning.

Writing Sample: It is cold sometimes, I have found. I think so, anyways, it gets difficult to tell. Most of the time there is nothing, the air is still and perfectly temperate, save for the occasional cold breeze, but there are nights, maybe, when it becomes frigid. I think they are nights, I cannot be sure, the sun, I think, falls. If that light in the dark, clouded sky is the sun, then they are indeed nights, and my guess is right. It is on these cold nights when I can hear them. The empty homes and streets fill with noise and my mind with terror, and I do not understand. I have checked so thoroughly during the "days" when all is well, there is nothing here, no where they could hide, every car, every home, every basement, I have looked everywhere. Yet still, on those nights, there is something in the streets, and the homes, and the cars, and it speaks and screams and cries and it wont stop and I need to leave but I can't the fog wont let me out. I am rambling again, of course. I may be going mad. I've not talked to another person for however long I've been here. It could be weeks, months, maybe even years. I have a beard now. I didn't at first.

I do not understand any of this. I don't get how I got here, I don't get why I am here, and most of all I do not get what here is. It's like a town, and there were people here, there's warm food on the dinner tables that never gets cold, there's fridges stocked with food, there's cars in the middle of the street with things within them, phones I can't unlock with codes I do not know. There were so many lives being lived here, then they just stopped, and now I'm here. Is it my fault? Did I do this to them? Did whatever put me here do this to them because it wanted to do this to me? I am going to sleep now, I can hear the screams and the voices and it is so, so cold, it must be night. I'll be safe in this closet. I hope you're getting these, they're always gone when I wake up.

Your loving father.

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: I just wanna help people honestly, help make the society I find myself in safer, equal, accepting, healthier. I'm not looking to create some great or powerful state, I just want to make some lives better.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Kurdish Democratic Confederalism will be an influence but not something to stick to rigidly.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Finger Lakes are a very good agricultural area, and as someone who lives in Texas I'm sick of the heat, wanted to be further north.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: We're just chilling, man.
What are your character's motivations?: At first, just wanting to not die out of fear of what follows, though eventually once he settles into things largely an urge to improve lives while he has the ability.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm

I am reading something very interesting. Apparently siege towers, Helipolis in Ancient Greece used counterweight motors, capstans, and treadwheels to move the huge siege towers. The Helipolis had a capstan and belt drive. I can imagine something like a landship with a central treadwheel. Take the top off the siege tower and you have a treadwheel or treadmill bus. There is an invention of a treadmill bus with horses. It looks both insane and impractical.

As I look deeper, it gets kind of weird. A treadmill for 2-4 horses to pull a train-- the Impulsoria. None of this looks remotely practical...

I am looking at inventions that were long obsolete. There is also the pulsion telephone an improved can and string telephone with a diaphraghm to improve transmission. So far, I haven't been able to find anything that is truly ridiculous that would be worth implementing. But, then there is a group of scholars who are no longer under my control creating things like dolls and automata... whistling teapots and ancient versions of mister potatohead.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:I am reading something very interesting. Apparently siege towers, Helipolis in Ancient Greece used counterweight motors, capstans, and treadwheels to move the huge siege towers. The Helipolis had a capstan and belt drive.

Our ancestors were good at killing each other.
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Shepherd isle
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Shepherd isle » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:59 am

oooh another possible american character...

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 am

Rhir wrote:Author Applicaiton
Skin, hair, and eye description: Pale skin and long, fluffy dark brown hair that spills down in soft waves just above hazel eyes.

Level of education ( specify degrees or note worthy classes ): Freshman Highschool education, AP Human Geography in particular would be of use, as well as Introduction to Business and Marketing giving a very basic understanding of some modern economic concepts.
Physique description: To call Ewan lanky would likely be generous, depending on your defintion. Though his broad build combined with his height does help make the low weight caused by moderate anorexia be less glaring, it is none the less clear in his skelatal arms and hands. Neither does his lack of activity do him any favors in the department of looking less like a skeleton, given the pale skin that hugs his largely muscleless bones. The heavy, dark bags that frame his eyes only add to the downright unhealthy appearance, though the puppy-like nose and soft facial features have earned him a good few compliments, as have the eyes that he would consider to look very "dead".
Useful skills: Considering Ewan an expert at anything other reaching high things would be far too complimentary.

What were you doing prior to falling asleep and awakening in the past?: Listening to some sad indie-pop musician at 4 A.M in bed before passing out.
Description of personality: Ewan is incredibly laid back and well-tempered, though he used to wrestle with anger problems he has long since mellowed out to far calmer than the usual person. Finding difficulty in genuine hating anything, or anyone, it is rare for him to feel any real intense emotion. While some may think this sounds uncaring, he does his best to treat people as well as he can, especially his highly valued close friends. Acting on a simple belief that all people deserve to be happy, he does his best to help people in bad mental positions, which he has gotten quite good at from much, much experience in both assisting people in and personally being in those positions, partially as a form of self-therapy, and partially out of sympathy. Though he is not incapable of being rude with a failed joke or unintentionally, he will do his best to make up for it and apologize when the issue arises.
Where in the world are you landing?: In the Finger Lakes, New York, along the banks of what is now Cayuga Lake.

Autobiography/Biography ( paragraph minimum ): Ewan was born to a decently off family in Dallas, Texas, and grew into his childhood attending a montessori school in the area before entering mainline education. He was raised entirely irreligious, and continued to be so as he aged, due to his father being agnostic and mother christian, though he did pray at his montessori school at lunch as it mandated, he didn't quite understand what was happening when he did. Unfortunately, while in mid-elementary, his mother lost the job she had held for the majority of his life at the time, heavily destabilizing their financial situation and forcing them out of the house they had rented for his whole life. This led to, for a few years, the family moving every year or two until things stabilized with an apartment in Dallas, though they were forced out of the second to last one they lived in through gentrification before fully stabilizing and beginning to save up enough to return to renting a small home with money from his mother's new job.

Experiences with gentrification, as well as living in low income areas around those of other ethnicities and cultures, led to Ewan adopting a much more progressive and left-wing view of the world rather early in life, and quickly got him interested in the political process. He approached highschool class selection with the goal of eventually becoming a politician in mind, though he also planned to pursue twitch streaming as a hobby during the summers and if that took off, well, he wasn't a man for overplanning the future. Any of these vague ideas for his future however, would be overturned by his awakening in the past one morning.

Writing Sample: It is cold sometimes, I have found. I think so, anyways, it gets difficult to tell. Most of the time there is nothing, the air is still and perfectly temperate, save for the occasional cold breeze, but there are nights, maybe, when it becomes frigid. I think they are nights, I cannot be sure, the sun, I think, falls. If that light in the dark, clouded sky is the sun, then they are indeed nights, and my guess is right. It is on these cold nights when I can hear them. The empty homes and streets fill with noise and my mind with terror, and I do not understand. I have checked so thoroughly during the "days" when all is well, there is nothing here, no where they could hide, every car, every home, every basement, I have looked everywhere. Yet still, on those nights, there is something in the streets, and the homes, and the cars, and it speaks and screams and cries and it wont stop and I need to leave but I can't the fog wont let me out. I am rambling again, of course. I may be going mad. I've not talked to another person for however long I've been here. It could be weeks, months, maybe even years. I have a beard now. I didn't at first.

I do not understand any of this. I don't get how I got here, I don't get why I am here, and most of all I do not get what here is. It's like a town, and there were people here, there's warm food on the dinner tables that never gets cold, there's fridges stocked with food, there's cars in the middle of the street with things within them, phones I can't unlock with codes I do not know. There were so many lives being lived here, then they just stopped, and now I'm here. Is it my fault? Did I do this to them? Did whatever put me here do this to them because it wanted to do this to me? I am going to sleep now, I can hear the screams and the voices and it is so, so cold, it must be night. I'll be safe in this closet. I hope you're getting these, they're always gone when I wake up.

Your loving father.

( Optional on down)
What are your intentions for this RP, what's the long term goal?: I just wanna help people honestly, help make the society I find myself in safer, equal, accepting, healthier. I'm not looking to create some great or powerful state, I just want to make some lives better.
What people or places are you taking inspiration from?: Kurdish Democratic Confederalism will be an influence but not something to stick to rigidly.
Why did you chose to land where you did?: Finger Lakes are a very good agricultural area, and as someone who lives in Texas I'm sick of the heat, wanted to be further north.
What vibe should we get from your civilization and it's culture?: We're just chilling, man.
What are your character's motivations?: At first, just wanting to not die out of fear of what follows, though eventually once he settles into things largely an urge to improve lives while he has the ability.

This all seems to be in order - as such I am happy to add you to our little coterie. J'accept, and welcome.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Rhir
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhir » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Rhir wrote:Author Applicaiton

Your loving father.

( Optional on down)

This all seems to be in order - as such I am happy to add you to our little coterie. J'accept, and welcome.

Thanks, I'll likely have my first post up around Sunday, maybe earlier if I have the time. I'm excited to hop into things, looks like good fun.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:04 am

-Nuverkikstan

Fossia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Fossia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 am

Rhir wrote:

Thanks, I'll likely have my first post up around Sunday, maybe earlier if I have the time. I'm excited to hop into things, looks like good fun.

Ah someone landing right in the middle of my country, very nice.

The Vaktovian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 16, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Vaktovian Empire » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:53 am

What is the current time period and does our civilization or the one of which we discover start at the base Era I tech level, or the current time period's tech level? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I didn't see it in the OP.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:17 am

The Vaktovian Empire wrote:What is the current time period and does our civilization or the one of which we discover start at the base Era I tech level, or the current time period's tech level? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I didn't see it in the OP.

Depending on the tech-level of the area you're in and what author civs could influence tech there
Last edited by Endem on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Go back to 3000 b.c. and look up the tech for that area. Read the other players influence on a particular area and see what might have dispersed to your area. Take an inventory of your own skills and figure out how you can influence technology. There are not a huge amount of large cities at this time period. There are the player capitals, and the actual big cities, Anshan, Habuba Kabira, Uruk, Memphis in Egypt, Shahr-i-Sokta, Suheri, Tell Brak, and Uruk. Think cradles of Civilization if you want to be near technology, Uruk and Ur, Egypt, Harappa and other places. There are also places like Talianki where we have changed the decline of the Cucuteni Trypalia Culture with 15,000 people. There are also some places like Egypt-- it has not been conquered yet or Nubia.

30 years have passed so it is 2970. This allows for quite a bit of change. Many of the authors have become people out of time...
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhir
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhir » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:20 pm

Fossia wrote:
Rhir wrote:

Ah someone landing right in the middle of my country, very nice.

Oh have I started somewhere there's another Author civilization? I didn't see any on the map.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse