NATION

PASSWORD

Tales of Two Horizons IC 1.4 OPEN

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lan Khao Xang Hom Krung Tai » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:10 am

State of Great Fusang

Lord of the East

東君

暾將出兮東方照吾檻兮扶桑

There is a glow in the sky; soon he will be rising in the east.
Now on my balcony falls a ray from Fusang.

Nihonmachi, Shelu, Capital of Fusang
Late-January, 1839

For generations, Japanese had lived within these lands of Fusang, to them Fusō. Many had come along during the age of the Red Seal Ships and the silver trade from the new world. It wasn't too much of a surprise that many of the Japanese communities were birthed from families of merchants and exiles, they themselves based out of the capital and its many ports and forming enclaves of Japan-towns. Their cultural influences were still lingering around in Fusang, even as Japan began to slowly close itself in isolation.

For many merchants, Fusang was the home away from home, but for Tanemura Morihisa, Fusang was just home. A native to Kanagawa of 15 years then shipwrecked to the Fusangese coast, he was rescued by fishermen of the same tongue, adopting the surname of his rescuer, Tanemura. Now aged 46, he was head of his own trading company based out of Fusang and quite the popular figure to many Fusōjin, his reputation reaching as far as his home village. His anti-Shogun views were also just as known, calling for the bureaucratic military leader to step down in favor of Imperial rule.

"Japan grows weak from the Shogun and his lackeys. To allow his subordinates to attack foreign dignitaries is absurd!" the merchant ranted aloud as he made his way through the Japan-town in Shelu. "If it were I, I'd have their heads displayed for such a shameful attack."

"Meiguo and Fusang are one! Ten Thousand Years!" shouted one from Meiguo.

"United is our people! Ten Thousand Years!" shouted another from Fusang.

In many of the large cities of Fusang, notably in the capital and the newly annex Meiguo's former capital, banners waved as people cheered in the streets, all organized by the Fusangese government to celebrate the unity. Though not to say that it wasn't that important to many that lived in the area, Fusang certainly had made it out to be bigger than what many thought it was worth.

For those who now guarded the new frontier with Mexico, there was a new sense of anxiety. An anxiety built on what-ifs and the idea that they would want to nominally take back what they thought was theirs by right now that Meiguo had officially been annexed to rhe Great State of Fusang.
Just call me Tuwa

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:02 am

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

Austriae est imperare orbi universo

Gut und Blut für unsern Kaiser, Gut und Blut fürs Vaterland!

Vienna, the capital of the Austrian Empire
Meeting of the Secret State Conference

Wien, Hauptstadt des Kaisertums Österreich
Treffen der Geheimen Staatskonferenz

"Meine Herren," Prince Metternich spoke, "I bring good news from the latest reports". The military base of the Reichsflotte at Augustushaven is nearly completed. Preparations are underway to move the ships that are to be part of the Reichsflotte there, including one of our own ships from the Kaiserliche Flotte that we are donating for the protection of the Confederation. Hopefully other seafaring German nations will look at our example and contribute further ships, but even as it is, the Confederation will have a few vessels bearing its flag at its disposal. Even more than that, with the budget allocated by the Bundestag, we will be able to also finish the Reichswerft Augustushaven, and start building a few ships that will from the beginning be part of the Reichsflotte. Of course, we won't be able to threaten even Denmark with such a meager fleet, and we shouldn't seek to expand our naval power too much, but even such a token force will be more than enough to symbolize that we shall stand together in front of any threats, whether they be at land or at sea, and that we will no longer be solely dependent on the mercy of the British or the Dutch for help, Metternich smiled. "Moving on, since you gentlemen are all too aware of my opinion on this matter, I shall let Count Kolowrat take over with the reports on the Zollverein."

"Thank you, your Excellency.", the Bohemian count replied. "Despite the State Chancellor's initial negative outlook, it would seem that reducing our protectionism and entering the Zollverein has been a good choice, especially for the developing industry in the Bohemian crownlands. Austria has also been benefiting from this, and the raising profit from internal German trade should allow us, if the economic forecast proves itself right, to increase the amount of money we invest into the lands of the Hungarian Crown. Let's not even talk about the benefits experienced by the smaller states of the Confederation. All the nations that are presently members are very content with the path the Confederation's economic development has been taking, and the Coinage Convention we had in Dresden has managed to keep the Austrian gulden and the Prussian thaler in line with each other. Not only has this better protected the gulden in the southern German states, but it being accepted further on has turned it into a good alternative to the thaler for those states who are.. hesitant about Prussia's heightened influence. Regardless, even if our attempt to turn the Zollverein into constitution have failed, I believe that a further expansion of the Zollverein should be considered, either by influencing the German states that are so far not members, or by negotiating an association agreement that would allow our eastern crownlands to join it. "

"Very well! ", Metternich exclaimed. "Now, moving on to matters of military funding.."

Austrian Empire
Kaisertum Österreich

Habsburg Monarchy
Habsburgermonarchie

Austria est imperio optime unita

To His Royal Majesty, Carlos María Isidro Benito de Borbón, King of Spain

Your Royal Majesty, I am writing this message at the behest of my sovereign, His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty Ferdinand I. We have been most honored to receive your message and your warm wishes, and we wish to return them back. Long has the Spanish Kingdom suffered because of the wounds dealt to it by the monster of Corsica and the treacherous French people, who had forgotten their alliance with Spain and decided to backstab it after it was no longer useful to it. But Austria is above such dirty tactics. The two mighty royal lines, that of the Bourbons and that of the Habsburgs might not have been forever friends, but the monarchs of Europe must stand together in front of the devilish chaos of those who call themselves liberals. Spain and Austria were once good friends, and Austria shall not forget the blood that Spain spilled in the fight against Bonaparte. We shall of course receive Your Majesty's ambassador with the highest honor, and we want to ensure you that Austria is more than willing to do anything to help your realm in times of need. Austria wishes for the existence of a powerful Spain. In light of this, and in the interest of establishing good relations with the Crown of Spain, his Imperial Majesty has instructed me to send Rudolf Graf Apponyi von Nagy-Appony as representative of the Austrian imperial crown to Madrid, with the rank of ambassador. May the friendship between Spain and Austria continue for many years!

Signed by,

Hochgeboren, Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince of Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein, State Chancellor of the Austrian Empire, in the name of::

His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Ferdinand the First, By the Grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary and Bohemia, Fifth of His Name, King of the Lombardy and of Venice, King of Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, Lodomeria, and Illyria, King of Jerusalem etc. Archduke of Austria, Great Duke of Tuscany, Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, the Upper and Lower Silesia; Duke of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Friuli and Guastalla; of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, of Friuli, of Raguza, and of Zara, Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia, Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave of the Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; etc., etc., Head of the Presiding Power of the German Confederation
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

The Industrial States of Columbia
Senator

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Industrial States of Columbia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:43 am

The Business of Cakes

British North America, Halifax, Plymouth Atlantic Company American Headquarters
23 February, 1839

Rain was gently misting down on the streets of Halifax, coupled with the grey skies the morning blended rather seamlessly into afternoon. A figure dressed in a black top hat and greatcoat waited by the front door of the offices of Plymouth Atlantic North America, glancing impatiently at a silver pocket watch before rapping once again on the front door with their cane. A few moments later a young man opened the door, a look of astonishment and confusion quickly crossing his face.

“What's the matter? Have you never seen a woman in a top hat before?”

Anne Lister roughly shoved her coat and cane into the arms the rather startled looking footman, before strolling into the office of the chairman of the Plymouth Atlantic Company.

“Anne, how lovely to see you!”, Henry Darcy exclaimed, reaching out for a handshake. “I hope your travels were pleasant?”

“My travels were pleasant enough, thank you,” Lister broke eye contact to glare at the footman, “Your house staff could use some lessons in proper manners I must say though.”

Darcy chuckled, “I do apologize for any inconvenience. Hopefully the later conversation will more than make up for any initial misgivings. In the mean time would you care for some refreshments? I was already having tea and scones brought up, and I would be rather rude not to offer to share.”

“Yes that would be lovely. I was half worried that you intended to freeze me to death”

"Perhaps some brandy then?"

Anne waved off the offer with a gesture before reclining in the chair in front of Darcy's desk, “No thank you, I prefer to have a clear head when discussing business, I didn't come all the way from Columbus just for tea and cakes after all.”

“I see that your reputation does indeed proceed you, Ms. Lister. I must say, that your attention and dedication to your work was what made me believe that you would be perfect for this project. I take it that you have already looked over what we are proposing”

The footman from from earlier walked in with the tea and scones, taking special care not to make eye contact with Lister as he distributed the refreshments. Anne took a sip of tea, replying, “The letter you sent specified that a railway was to be put down between Columbus and Detroit I believe?”

“That is part of it, yes. I like to look to the future though, Ms. Lister. Imagine, right now, the interior of British America. Full of resources and exploitable land. But deprived of one vital economic component to make it turn a profit: population. But that will not remain forever. If we were however, to control the majority of transit before that final component arrives, a substantial portion of revenues generated would be for Plymouth Atlantic.”

“I can certainly see your vision here. But a vision requires proper execution. How do you intend to achieve this?”

“I was hoping, given your remarkable turnaround of your properties and revenues in England, that you might prove the ideal candidate for this project. I need someone who can see the big picture, and think outside the box. You would manage the rails and revenues from the Columbus junction, including our forseeable future expansions in the interior region. I might also add if our projected earnings are correct, you would have enough to build Shibden Hall multiple times over. I hope that you will more than just consider my offer.”

Lister smiled, “I think that, provided your projections prove to be correct, we might need something stronger than tea to celebrate.”

Addressed to the Diplomatic Ministry of His Majesty King Carlos María Isidro Benito de Borbón of Spain

The government of Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, sends greetings, and well wishes for the nation of Spain and her people. We have written today to discuss something of great importance to the betterment of society and the status of the common man. As you know, Britain has since 1833 been on the path to rid this world of the evils of slavery, and has managed to do so in her territories and abroad. However, Her Majesty cannot ignore the condition of some of her neighbours, and the situation of the oppressed peoples of Cuba and the Caribbean has weighed heavily on Her heart and conscience.

As such, Britain asks that Spain and her government of faith provide incentive for the removal of the prior mentioned institution. The United Kingdom would endeavour most fervently to provide mutual benefit for ourselves and your nation, should Spain choose to embrace the Christian path of abolition in her Caribbean territories.

We earnestly await your reply.
Cobalt Network Signups-|-Cobalt Network Main Page
A Fan of Type II alternate history
-Dom Pedro II
-Queen Elizabeth I
-Our Current Pope
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Joan of Arc
-Giovanni Belzoni
-Nikola Tesla
Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:20 am

Hanseong,
Empire of Joseon

News of the skirmish at Nagasaki traveled quickly and by the time the Tsushima Squadron made a stop at Incheon to deliver the report, the battle made headway into the public. The Emperor ordered an emergency session of the newly christened Imperial Assembly and individuals in the Tsushima Squadron were sent to the hearing. Presided by the President of the Assembly Kim Sung-jin and Ministers of the Emperor's cabinet, the Assemblymen asked questions to the guests. The sailors and marines did their best to give their accounts of the incident at Nagasaki. The crewmembers of the Lady Yuhwa were the most descriptive of the accounts given to the Assembly due to their ship being docked at Nagasaki during the action.

After hours of deliberation, the Imperial Assembly made its decision and the Emperor received the news from the Prime Minister.

"The Assembly overwhelmingly voted to punish Japan for its actions at Nagasaki," the Prime Minister said. "There are people outside of the Assembly hall demanding retribution." Yi Gong sighed at the news.

"An effort to restore relations with Japan after centuries of isolation, now lost because of a dogmatic local lord," he said. "Our prior effort by sending a message from Tsushima amounted to nothing. I suppose any chance of diplomacy is out of question?"

"It seems so, the people want blood," the Prime Minister continued. "You could hear the chants outside of the Assembly hall, 'kill 43,000 to avenge 43' the protestors were chanting. To them, the honor of Joseon was blemished by the attack and that was the mindset over half of the Assembly agreed with."

"Min has trade exclusivity to Japan, any chance of diplomacy through Min to provide an ultimatum to the Shogun?" the Emperor asked, it was clear to the Prime Minister that war was the last thing on the mind of his imperial majesty."

"Perhaps Min may provide assistance, many civilized nations would be outraged by such a blatant attack," the Prime Minister answered. "However, their reach is likely limited to Nagasaki. Min might get further than us in requesting an audience with the Shogun but that's not saying much considering the limitations for both Joseon and Min."

"Hmm, I guess conflict is the only way to resolve this lest we make ourselves appear weak through inaction," the Emperor said, resigned to the inevitability of war. "Call the generals, a war council would have to be formed for the eventual expedition."

The Empire of Joseon
On the Disturbance in Nagasaki

Despite efforts by the Empire of Joseon to peacefully restore relations with the Bakufu government of the Empire of Japan, the Shogun of Japan has shamed himself and his emperor when his subordinates slain 43 men of Joseon and Tsushiman blood. This act of barbarism is an affront to the civilized world and swift action must be taken. The Imperial Assembly and the Emperor of Joseon demand for an official apology from Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi for the barbaric act with the inclusion of the opening of the ports of Niigata, Hakodate, and Shimoda, protection of Joseon citizens in Japan, and the opening of the Joseon consulate in Niigata. If the Bakufu government ignores or reject our request for diplomacy, then strict action would be necessary.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

The Palmetto
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Palmetto » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 pm

The Kingdom of France
January 1839

The Conquest of Algeria

by Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte III

Emir Abdelkader, leader of the Algerian resistance

Ever since the French incursion into Algiers, instigated by the perfidious Charles X in a bid to improve his popularity, the proud nation of France has pushed forwards into North Africa. Though the invasion, viewed as retaliation for years of piracy and slavery against Christians in the Medditerranean, was popular, it was not enough to keep him in power. Ironically, those troops which would’ve otherwise stopped the revolutionaries were those stationed in Algeria. Though the liberal government of his successor Louis Philippe I was reluctant to dedicate more forces, only a few thousand troops left the region. The capture of the Bey of Algiers and the collapse of his authority left a power vacuum in the region, resulting in initial swift victories for the glorious French army. Under General Thomas Robert Bugeaud, the army took numerous cities, leading to a series of decisive victories from Oran to Constantine, where the French flag can now be seen flying. As fortified cities and nomadic tribes alike were subjugated, many among the noble Mohammadeans resisted fiercely. Thus enters the virtuous leader of the Moslem resistance in Algeria, Abd-El-Kader.

Following the French incursion into Algeria, many Arabs and Berbers of the interior rallied behind Abd-El-Kader, granting him the prestigious title of emir. He was the son of a prominent leader in Oran who had declared jihad, and would follow in his legacy. El-Kader was a skilled politician, managing to secure the tribes of the Chelif, Miliana, and Medea within a few years. He was a pragmatist who employed even Christians and Jews, and signed and broke several tactical truces with the French forces under General Bugeaud. Indeed, he is a chivalrous man amongst the Arab Moslems. However, he is not the only such man among them. The tribal people on the coast calling themselves the "Zwawa" have fought long and hard with much success. They have allied themselves with Abd-El-Kader under his general stationed there, Ahmed bin Salem. It is unfortunate they have chosen to fight against the French nation, indeed, they could serve as useful allies. Some war correspondents have reported attempts by General Beauregard to court the tribes in the area, but have not reported the conclusion of these negotiations yet.

Though this war has been costly, I ask the people of France to remain strong. Even under a false emperor, our nation is still the greatest among all. Montjoie Saint Denis!

To: The Zwawa

To the Honourable Tribes of the Zwawa,

You have fought long and hard against the French nation, having proven yourselves not only to your own people, but to those among us in France. You think we are trying to uproot you, to take away your way of life, but is not true by any means. We would not seek to disrupt the traditions of such a chivalrous people. Instead, I would like to propose a peace. As you serve under the Emir Abdelkader, you could instead serve under the French nation. Your confederation would become a protectorate of France, retaining independence in all but foreign matters, and your citizens paying taxes to the colonial administration in Algiers. In exchange, you would keep your autonomy while having all the benefits of French citizenship, from being able to enroll in schools to being able to take loans from the bank, be included in French infrastructural and educational projects in the region, and your leadership would be given a yearly stipend. Surely, this is more than the Emir can offer you.

Respectfully,
General Thomas Robert Bugeaud

France expands the Algerian colonial bank, with the reforms involved including the ability it to give loans to Algerian tribes loyal to the French crown. While it favors French settlers, it is hoped to create a pro-French elite in the nation. Likewise, land occupied from hostile tribes is distributed not only to European settlers, but offered in small amounts to French-backed tribal elites.

The French ambassador to the Mughals warns against the free cheese, telling French expats in the country to avoid consuming it. "Why would they give that sort of thing out for free? It isn't even French cheese, so it's automatically inferior."

France launches a formal diplomatic complaint against the Republic of Columbia of stealing their flag, accusing them of desoiling the national banner. "All you did was reverse the damn banner" the letter alleges.
Last edited by The Palmetto on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A rowdy redneck from South Carolina who tries to RP every now and again.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Previous

Return to Portal to the Multiverse