NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( world building and new era discussion )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

What year should it be?

48%
52%

Total votes : 48

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Gdansk-- Smuggling capital of the Imperium. There were a number of trading families in Gdansk. Even with them gone, it remains the main source of Baltic Amber, also soda ash for sea weed, petroleum dug up by czarts, honey, high quality salt. A lot of high value goods. Possibly weapons. A high value hinterland.

Here is what I expect if I did a 5 year time skip for cities. (We would send explorers and traders to the Levant, not settlers).

1) We would reach Sicily which is supposed to have an NPC.
2) We would have reached Iberia which is supposed to have an NPC.
3) Trader Ulysses would have built a permanent trade port in Cyrene which is the only source of Silphium (very lucrative), the Romans could not transplant it. We might be able to, but we would have to grow it in greenhouses with dedicated rootboxes, not by seed.
4) Where Carthage was, we would a trade port in Carthage with the Berbers for livestock.
5) If we can make it to India, there are several trade ports on the way to Harappa and Mohenjodaro. (There would be the School in Harappa).
6) If we can make it to Arabia, we can get to Aden.
7) There is Egypt, Nubia is below Egypt, below that is Alaroma in Aksum.
8 ) There is Troy which is a port.
9) There is Crete which has the Minoans, we trade with the Minoans and do not conquer them.
10) There would be ports on the Black Sea, specifically, the (Chaldoi) Chalybi would interest us. They were identified as the earliest iron smiths by classical writers. This is a bit legendary.

Some of the cities that would exist would be:

Byblos Lebanon
Aleppo-- Syria
Damascus-- Syria
Rey Iran
Susa Iran
Abydos Egypt
Memphis Egypt
Faiyum Egypt
Luxor Egypt
Beirut-- Lebanon
Sidon-- Lebanon
Jericho-- Jordan
Plovdiv-- Bulgaria
Kirkuk Mesopotamia
Uruk Mesopotamia
Ur Mesopotamia
Eridu Mesopotamia
Gaziantep Anatolia
Argos Greece -- cycled between city and village
Maydanets-- Ukraine-- Cucuteni
Talianki-- Ukraine-- Cucuteni
Mohenjo-Daro-- India
Harappa-- India
Xian-- China
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm

I honestly really would not like a 5 year skip. I am vying for 10 years. Reason being ( and this is just selfish on my part ), neither I nor the Imperium would really be able to do anything after just five years. Dusk Union is getting off of a year long draught, which is going to throw both Icedonia and Hibernia out of wack in all aspects for years - the Imperium is getting of the biggest war in their history, and has to deescalate 5% of their population after losing 1/3 of their professional army. By the year 2970, it's just gonna be us starring angrily at each other from across the morning sea and muttering curses, but not actually able to do anything because our countries are still being rebuilt.
Last edited by Joohan on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:51 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Here is what I expect if I did a 5 year time skip for cities. (We would send explorers and traders to the Levant, not settlers).

1) We would reach Sicily which is supposed to have an NPC.
2) We would have reached Iberia which is supposed to have an NPC.
3) Trader Ulysses would have built a permanent trade port in Cyrene which is the only source of Silphium (very lucrative), the Romans could not transplant it. We might be able to, but we would have to grow it in greenhouses with dedicated rootboxes, not by seed.
4) Where Carthage was, we would a trade port in Carthage with the Berbers for livestock.
5) If we can make it to India, there are several trade ports on the way to Harappa and Mohenjodaro. (There would be the School in Harappa).
6) If we can make it to Arabia, we can get to Aden.
7) There is Egypt, Nubia is below Egypt, below that is Alaroma in Aksum.
8) There is Troy which is a port.
9) There is Crete which has the Minoans, we trade with the Minoans and do not conquer them.
10) There would be ports on the Black Sea, specifically, the (Chaldoi) Chalybi would interest us. They were identified as the earliest iron smiths by classical writers. This is a bit legendary.

Some of the cities that would exist would be:

Byblos Lebanon
Aleppo-- Syria
Damascus-- Syria
Rey Iran
Susa Iran
Abydos Egypt
Memphis Egypt
Faiyum Egypt
Luxor Egypt
Beirut-- Lebanon
Sidon-- Lebanon
Jericho-- Jordan
Plovdiv-- Bulgaria
Kirkuk Mesopotamia
Uruk Mesopotamia
Ur Mesopotamia
Eridu Mesopotamia
Gaziantep Anatolia
Argos Greece -- cycled between city and village
Maydanets-- Ukraine-- Cucuteni
Talianki-- Ukraine-- Cucuteni
Mohenjo-Daro-- India
Harappa-- India
Xian-- China

I don't know about Nestos making it to India just yet - but i do like the city suggestions.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Joohan wrote:I honestly really would not like a 5 year skip. I am vying for 10 years. Reason being ( and this is just selfish on my part ), neither I nor the Imperium would really be able to do anything after just five years. Dusk Union is getting off of a year long draught, which is going to throw both Icedonia and Hibernia out of wack in all aspects for years - the Imperium is getting of the biggest war in their history, and has to deescalate 5% of their population after losing 1/3 of their professional army. By the year 2970, it's just gonna be us starring angrily at each other from across the morning sea and muttering curses, but not actually able to do anything because our countries are still being rebuilt.

It doesn't look like many people want a 25 year time skip. I guess a ten year time skip is good enough for me. When you put up a new poll I'll vote for it.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:04 pm

By the way, after the fall of Gdansk Krystyn took whatever Czarts he had left and went full guerilla, just so that I have a pre-existing character to fall back to if my desert adventure goes south we don't kill off any authors, can I establish this as a lore tidbit for anybody looking for allies to destabilize the Imperium?
Last edited by Endem on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Joohan wrote:I honestly really would not like a 5 year skip. I am vying for 10 years. Reason being ( and this is just selfish on my part ), neither I nor the Imperium would really be able to do anything after just five years. Dusk Union is getting off of a year long draught, which is going to throw both Icedonia and Hibernia out of wack in all aspects for years - the Imperium is getting of the biggest war in their history, and has to deescalate 5% of their population after losing 1/3 of their professional army. By the year 2970, it's just gonna be us starring angrily at each other from across the morning sea and muttering curses, but not actually able to do anything because our countries are still being rebuilt.

Eh? What happened to a third of the professional army?

Also we only ever mobilized to 2%, but of course, that’s still a large demobilization.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:10 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

Also we only ever mobilized to 2%, but of course, that’s still a large demobilization.

As I recall 900 imperial soldiers died, of 3,000 professionals? Agreed upon Imperial population was 300,000, and y'all called up 15,000 levies. 300 / 15 = 20 i.e. 5% of the population.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Oof, i'm at month 7 in my final wrap up post... and I still have three more to go. I am gonna take a break from writing for a bit. Try and get it up by tomorrow.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:12 pm

I have a question, if you were planning to demobilize, why invade Gdansk again?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:17 pm

Joohan wrote:

As I recall 900 imperial soldiers died, of 3,000 professionals? Agreed upon Imperial population was 300,000, and y'all called up 15,000 levies. 300 / 15 = 20 i.e. 5% of the population.

Died where? In Denmark?

Hm. I thought the Imperium’s population was closer to 1.2 million after the last timeskip.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Joohan wrote:

Died where? In Denmark?

Hm. I thought the Imperium’s population was closer to 1.2 million after the last timeskip.

Whoa what, one of the reasons I was told I couldn't be bigger was because the Imperium had only 300,000 people in it. You were in that telegram group.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Endem wrote:

I have a question, if you were planning to demobilize, why invade Gdansk again?

More or less, because the soldiers were there, and Vladimir wanted a campaign under his belt after his coronation. That, combined with the stories of the Czarts and appeals from locals.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Endem wrote:I have a question, if you were planning to demobilize, why invade Gdansk again?

More or less, because the soldiers were there, and Vladimir wanted a campaign under his belt after his coronation. That, combined with the stories of the Czarts and appeals from locals.

What appeals, of the ones who joined diplomatically and got showered with everything Gdansk's civilization had to offer, or the ones who refused and did not live to see another day?

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:26 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Died where? In Denmark?

Well, and the myriad battles fought all over the Baltic. 900 was the agreed number if I recall. Plzn could back me up on this.

I thought the Imperium’s population was closer to 1.2 million after the last timeskip.

Heaven's no! I remember we had quite a discussion on this. Pulling up the population numbers back from the last OOC, the Imperium concerned itself with the following.

Germany 182,000
Czechoslovakia 61,000
Hungary 18,000
Poland 27,000
Romania 49,000
Yugoslavia 91,000

for Germany we considered half the population to be residing in the imperium, half of Czechoslovakia ( obviously the Czech part ), I think half or a majority of Hungary, a fifth of Poland, and a fifth of Yugoslavia ( Serbia ). These numbers were combined together, and then given an annual growth rate of 2% each year for 25 years, we came out to around ~300,000.
Last edited by Joohan on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:29 pm

I still don't know what to do for the Sumerian Empire and what to even world build about. A lot of my storylines have been thrown out or even forgotten.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Idk johan it seems to me like you have a LOT of internal stuff to get through before you engage in more external wars... most pressing to me being the ramifications of icedonia’s sex slavery and resentment among the general population
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:30 pm

Ralnis wrote:I still don't know what to do for the Sumerian Empire and what to even world build about. A lot of my storylines have been thrown out or even forgotten.

Consolidation of power under the holy dynasty, restructuring local power structures into a streamlined administration, reforming the military, formalize trading engagements, prepare for invasion's of the Persian gulf and Levant.

just read through a history of Persia for ideas.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:33 pm

What makes this even more interesting is that Harappa is in Pakistan, in the Indus Valley, supposedly around 3000 b.c. the Harappans traded with the Mesopotamians from Pakistan. They knew the route to Mesopotamia, not the other way around. The Harappans would have brought various trade goods like spices, lapis lazuli, carnelian, and other goods to the markets in Ur and Dilmun. In the story, Arjun a trader discusses mathematics and philosophy with one of the traders in the market, and they invite several scholars to come to India with them. There are currently two people in India Scholar Aprus and Warrior Ajax. They took a preset trade route by boat to Harappa. If you read the history, the Meluha had direct trade routes between India and Mesopotamia. This runs between 2600 and 2400 b.c. There is a lot of variation, but some of it as described as 3000 b.c. and it is described as a direct trade route. There are not going to be large numbers of people headed to Harappa or Mohenjo Daro and it is only going to be people that are invited by Guru Javin (we seek scholars and teachers for our school), or Arjun, I am a trader interested in philosophy, medicine, and science. There are going to be a few more people by invitation only (6-8) people are going to to be in India invited as teachers) We don't know how to get there. The Harappans do. Essentially Guru Javin is using the scholars to build a school.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:

Idk johan it seems to me like you have a LOT of internal stuff to get through before you engage in more external wars... most pressing to me being the ramifications of icedonia’s sex slavery and resentment among the general population

To be fair, the practice of conquered women was ceased after the the meeting at Snowdonia, as per the agreement of the Dusk Union. But really, what were they gonna do - tell their menfolk... oh wait!

I don't see my general populace rising up against me anytime soon. Most people joined Icedonia willingly, those resisted were genocided out of existence, and those who remained loyal are well and truly tied to the Service now - with riches, lands, and women being plenty motivation for continued support. As for resentment in the North beyond my border... i'm not too concerned. You'll perhaps better understand why, after my final post has been made.

Really though, my biggest concern is rebuilding and restructuring after the draught crisis.

Edit: also, i've never waged a war beyond my England.
Last edited by Joohan on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:04 pm

The Baltics would generally be a cultural and diplomatic mess, with enough instability after the sudden removal of Commonwealth troops that if the Imperium was willing enough to garrison the major pro-Commonwealth coastal towns and if the Imperium was willing to get bogged down in a few inconclusive quagmires in the countryside settling local disputes in the pro-Imperial factions’ favour, it’s not implausible to envision that the Commonwealth client states south of the Daugava would be turned into Imperial client states, or even Imperial provinces. Given how interventionist the Imperium has been to date I think both of those assumptions are entirely in line with Viktor’s personality as depicted.

Scandinavia proper north of the Dannevirke, though, I imagine would be culturally hostile and remain so for at least a couple generations. I’m inclined to agree that the area would eventually consolidate into city states and petty states unless there’s a second invasion of some sort by a nearby power - the Imperium can probably garrison and occupy the area if they wanted to, although it would certainly be costly, and Icedonia could plausibly lend support to some of the friendlier settlements and petty kingdoms to prevent exactly that.

I think it fairly ironic that the Imperium invaded nominally to civilise the Commonwealth’s customs, but in nearly all respects the chaos they leave behind would be, if anything, more violent, at least in the short term. :p
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Joohan wrote:
Ralnis wrote:I still don't know what to do for the Sumerian Empire and what to even world build about. A lot of my storylines have been thrown out or even forgotten.

Consolidation of power under the holy dynasty, restructuring local power structures into a streamlined administration, reforming the military, formalize trading engagements, prepare for invasion's of the Persian gulf and Levant.

just read through a history of Persia for ideas.

I can do that, consolidating Ururk's kingdom and Levant colonies will be a storyline as Ur-Surtur tries to reestablish itself among the region and make formal alliances and trade with the Dilmunites and Elmaites. On top of making sure that everything is streamlined and stuff.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Plzen wrote:The Baltics would generally be a cultural and diplomatic mess, with enough instability after the sudden removal of Commonwealth troops that if the Imperium was willing enough to garrison the major pro-Commonwealth coastal towns and if the Imperium was willing to get bogged down in a few inconclusive quagmires in the countryside settling local disputes in the pro-Imperial factions’ favour, it’s not implausible to envision that the Commonwealth client states south of the Daugava would be turned into Imperial client states, or even Imperial provinces. Given how interventionist the Imperium has been to date I think both of those assumptions are entirely in line with Viktor’s personality as depicted.

Scandinavia proper north of the Dannevirke, though, I imagine would be culturally hostile and remain so for at least a couple generations. I’m inclined to agree that the area would eventually consolidate into city states and petty kingdoms unless there’s a second invasion of some sort by a nearby power - the Imperium can probably garrison and occupy the area if they wanted to, although it would certainly be costly, and Icedonia could plausibly lend support to some of the friendlier settlements and petty kingdoms to prevent exactly that.

I think it fairly ironic that the Imperium invaded nominally to civilise the Commonwealth’s customs, but in nearly all respects the chaos they leave behind would be, if anything, more violent, at least in the short term. :p

Could you weigh in on the discussion of imperial casualties above?

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Joohan wrote:Could you weigh in on the discussion of imperial casualties above?

To be honest I forgot what sort of casualty statistics we were supposed to have, and I no longer have the relevant telegrams.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:02 pm

All fun
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 am

I have no idea what to do after ten years as there is just a huge distance between Moscow and everyone else.

Might as well have a different author and be with an existing civ.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse