NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( world building and new era discussion )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

What year should it be?

48%
52%

Total votes : 48

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am

Ralnis wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Was the civil war actually resolved? I only recall one post about destroying a city, really, and it seems like the war would have been longer than that.

No it was more than that. Was several posts with Ur and Nestos invading them from the north and I'm from the south. Combined forces and took Babylon from them. Mind you there would be resistance still but lore would be them not as organized or at least tied to the cults. Which helps with fostering the Seven's universalism and the intelligence network gets better at handling the last sparks of the rebel empire. I would also think that Nestos and the mercs are there for security reasons and stabilizing as they help bring the rest of Uruk's gains to heel.

Nestos and the merc army did most of the heavy lifting as I was entrapped in Uruk.

Interesting. So Nestos deployed a full army all the way from Thrace, enough to conquer populous city-states?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:35 am

Ralnis wrote:No it was more than that. Was several posts with Ur and Nestos invading them from the north and I'm from the south. Combined forces and took Babylon from them. Mind you there would be resistance still but lore would be them not as organized or at least tied to the cults. Which helps with fostering the Seven's universalism and the intelligence network gets better at handling the last sparks of the rebel empire. I would also think that Nestos and the mercs are there for security reasons and stabilizing as they help bring the rest of Uruk's gains to heel.

Nestos and the merc army did most of the heavy lifting as I was entrapped in Uruk.

Interesting. So Nestos deployed a full army all the way from Thrace, enough to conquer populous city-states?

No they sent a detachment of warriors that led a mercenary army under their payroll to help Ur fight and cause havoc. Never mind, there was no supreme victory. Ur lost and Luther is dead. If not, then just say the civil war just ended and Ur-Surtur is trying just now handle the repairing of the new country.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 am

We could do a consolidating the countryside post. Basically preventing banditry, distributing food, getting the locals on our side. This would be a workable post for Ur. It would be a cleanup post. I would put in some material about stabilization, providing food, shelter, and clothing, preventing banditry.

Nestos went after the smaller villages then joined up with Ur and attacked Uruk with the help of mercenaries from Elam. We landed an army near the seashore and marched south where there was not strong resistance-- smaller cities. The starting army was a mix of mercenaries from Illyria and Diaghis's troops. It was a combined army. I wrote about how I bought up metal, Barrabas went into the mountains and gained the alliance of the proto Habiru or outcasts.

The army that attacked Uruk would have been a large army combining troops from Ur, Elam (we bought them off with birth control (silphium and medicine), Illyria (technology, building fishing, farming equipment), and the Nestos League as well as men from the Apiru (land and bread), the outcasts which Barabbas came from. A lot of promises to keep.

The army would have drawn heavily from the ships that attacked the Kraken initially. It would include veteran troops and experienced mercenaries. It also would have been able to draw from some of the Bull men at Santorini. Diaghis would have had to train them and put them into shape before landing them on the Mesopotamian. We would have enough to transport troops. Unlike the large warships at Ur, our ships never sank. With Mesopotamia not in the mix, we would pretty much have control of the Aegean and the Aegean islands, a prime place to recruit sailors and build ships.

We would also have the outrigger ships for fast transport of smaller groups of soldiers. It also would have some of Barabbas Men ex-slavers and raiders in the mix.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 am

UniversalCommons wrote:We could do a consolidating the countryside post. Basically preventing banditry, distributing food, getting the locals on our side. This would be a workable post for Ur. It would be a cleanup post. I would put in some material about stabilization, providing food, shelter, and clothing, preventing banditry.

Nestos went after the smaller villages then joined up with Ur and attacked Uruk with the help of mercenaries from Elam. We landed an army near the seashore and marched south where there was not strong resistance-- smaller cities. The starting army was a mix of mercenaries from Illyria and Diaghis's troops. It was a combined army. I wrote about how I bought up metal, Barrabas went into the mountains and gained the alliance of the proto Habiru or outcasts.

The army that attacked Uruk would have been a large army combining troops from Ur, Elam (we bought them off with birth control (silphium and medicine), Illyria (technology, building fishing, farming equipment), and the Nestos League as well as men from the Apiru (land and bread), the outcasts which Barabbas came from. A lot of promises to keep.

The army would have drawn heavily from the ships that attacked the Kraken initially. It would include veteran troops and experienced mercenaries. It also would have been able to draw from some of the Bull men at Santorini. Diaghis would have had to train them and put them into shape before landing them on the Mesopotamian. We would have enough to transport troops. Unlike the large warships at Ur, our ships never sank. With Mesopotamia not in the mix, we would pretty much have control of the Aegean and the Aegean islands, a prime place to recruit sailors and build ships.

We would also have the outrigger ships for fast transport of smaller groups of soldiers. It also would have some of Barabbas Men ex-slavers and raiders in the mix.

I can do a cleanup post then about other cities and resistances that go beyond what Ur had suspected that they were expanding while keeping Southern Mesopotamia at bay. Might have some cities and villages that are looking to either capitulate or be invaded. Ur-Surtur is not looking to compromise as of right now.
Last edited by Ralnis on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm

So, we can start posting?
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Endem wrote:So, we can start posting?

I'm just posting some aftermath posts regarding the civil war in Sumeria before the timeskip.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:48 am

Hum. We have quite a few voters. Do we even have sixteen active RPers?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:15 am

I am we have at least 16 active lurkers.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:34 am

UniversalCommons wrote:I am we have at least 16 active lurkers.

Fair. So, I guess that covers item 1. In the interests of having something for when Joohan returns, let’s move down the list.

“Current Year” - 2970

“New Rules” - Anyone have thoughts for these? I think we’ll be lightening up on the landing ideas of being somewhere traditional, but anyone have any other propositions?

“New Gameplay mechanics” - Not sure if Joohan had anything specific in mind, but I’m open to ideas.

“NPC civilizations” - We have a fair few added. We could probably use some in California, a few in China, maybe the Horn of Africa too. Other proposals?

“Character Application Update” - Anything we think should be added?

“The Map
Resolving conflicts since the Time Skip” - These are basically two sides of the same coin. I’m not going to arbitrate on my own conflicts, of course, but there are some others in the offing. Anyone planning to do some offscreen war? I know Orostan is planning some conquest, as was New Arcadius - Alaroma, were you still planning to move into Egypt?

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:04 am

UniversalCommons wrote:I am we have at least 16 active lurkers.

Fair. So, I guess that covers item 1. In the interests of having something for when Joohan returns, let’s move down the list.

“Current Year” - 2970

“New Rules” - Anyone have thoughts for these? I think we’ll be lightening up on the landing ideas of being somewhere traditional, but anyone have any other propositions?

“New Gameplay mechanics” - Not sure if Joohan had anything specific in mind, but I’m open to ideas.

“NPC civilizations” - We have a fair few added. We could probably use some in California, a few in China, maybe the Horn of Africa too. Other proposals?

“Character Application Update” - Anything we think should be added?

“The Map
Resolving conflicts since the Time Skip” - These are basically two sides of the same coin. I’m not going to arbitrate on my own conflicts, of course, but there are some others in the offing. Anyone planning to do some offscreen war? I know Orostan is planning some conquest, as was New Arcadius - Alaroma, were you still planning to move into Egypt?

As far as NPC Civilizations, I am hoping to meet up with Sicily soon, Also, Iberia is on the map. Both are probably going to be interacted with during the next 5 years. I expect we would open trade with Sicily.

As far as Africa, we are trading in Libya which is where Cyrene and silphium. I have them as nomads. There is Nubia which is below Africa. Nubia is interesting because they have excellent bowman, gold, trade goods, etc. and have not yet been conquered by Egypt. This would be a change in history with the a revival of the Pre-Kerma culture with noble houses. Trade with Aksum and the Nestos League as well as possibly Arabia would revive the culture a bit and make its decline less prevalent.

Harappa is in Pakistan in the Indus Valley.

There is Iran which would should be coming up.

Right now, the Minoans should be in full swing as a trading partner (Crete specifically). The Minoans have been trading with both the Nestos League and the Single Market. Crete would be easier to get to than Egypt. Historically Crete was a trading power, not so much a military power. They have been left alone for the most part. They have some ties to the bull culture with bull dancing and acrobatics.

There is also Elam.

There is the Ukraine where the Cucuteni are and possibly two of the largest cities in the world. They should be revealed as part of the conflict in Romania.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 am

Well when it comes to the map I was planning on founding a little hamlet of a few dozen people to the far north of me in Duba
"When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?"

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:21 am

You’re killing everyone who doesn’t follow the Seven and pulling down the ziggurats Ralnis?

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:You’re killing everyone who doesn’t follow the Seven and pulling down the ziggurats Ralnis?

Deleting the post. I'm sorry for posting that thing.

Done, sorry for the post.
Last edited by Ralnis on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:37 am

Ralnis wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:You’re killing everyone who doesn’t follow the Seven and pulling down the ziggurats Ralnis?

Deleting the post. I'm sorry for posting that thing.

It’s fine if you are dude. It ads to the lore we just wanna make sure

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 am

Saxony-Brandenburg wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Deleting the post. I'm sorry for posting that thing.

It’s fine if you are dude. It ads to the lore we just wanna make sure

No, just those that harbor the cults of Urukian gods or the other cults that have been deemed a threat to the Empire. Religions like Nestosian Goddess worship, their naturalism, and Aksumite Christianity are among the most accepted in her vision since they have been allies to Sumer. But no, she is pissed as it is and refuses to allow any priesthood caste to rise another rebellion. In her eyes, the state religion of the Seven must be enforce on top of her centralized reforms post-timeskip.

I'm sorry for this but I would think this would make sense. She did see her mother fail to unite Southern Mesopotamia and now it is her task to unite the lands of Uruk and beyond Babylon into an empire. She is a firebrand to the point that Luther can't exactly control her and this will cause some trouble for him in the future. So I hope.

Once again, I'm sorry.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Stop me if you heard this one before, but - I had Army stuff to do...

What happened while I was gone? We're tied for years?
Last edited by Joohan on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:41 am

Joohan wrote:Stop me if you heard this one before, but - I had Army stuff to do...

Just some generalized discussion of NPCs, how Sumeria intends to exterminate the traditional religions.

The poll I see is currently 10-9, but I’m not sure we even have that many active RPers... we should probably verbally get a count from active RPers.

I myself would prefer a 5 year timeskip, to 2970.

(2960) 0 - 1 (2970)

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:27 am

Joohan wrote:Stop me if you heard this one before, but - I had Army stuff to do...

Just some generalized discussion of NPCs, how Sumeria intends to exterminate the traditional religions.

The poll I see is currently 10-9, but I’m not sure we even have that many active RPers... we should probably verbally get a count from active RPers.

I myself would prefer a 5 year timeskip, to 2970.

(2960) 0 - 1 (2970)

I did delete the post so that's not a problem. It won't happen in the lore.

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:43 am

I too vote for 70 so that’s 2

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:49 am

I vote for 5 years. There is a lot that can happen in 5 years... 2970
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 am

I find it hilarious that as of time of writing the new poll already has 20 votes. Clearly, there are far more spectators here than just myself. XD

The actual player vote seems to lean pretty heavily 2970.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Plzen wrote:The actual player vote seems to lean pretty heavily 2970.

Yeah, I find NS polls are very unreliable, since anyone passing by can just weigh in. Hence the in-person voting idea.

UniversalCommons wrote:As far as NPC Civilizations, I am hoping to meet up with Sicily soon, Also, Iberia is on the map. Both are probably going to be interacted with during the next 5 years. I expect we would open trade with Sicily.

Hm. I don't recall there being an author that survived a timeskip in Sicily. That's our major criterion for an Author being 'canon' or not. I don't think Sicily, independent of Author contact, has much in the way of material culture worth exporting yet, based on a quick wiki-walk. Iberia, of course, has that anti-slavery tribal confederation. You could certainly talk with them

As far as Africa, we are trading in Libya which is where Cyrene and silphium. I have them as nomads. There is Nubia which is below Africa. Nubia is interesting because they have excellent bowman, gold, trade goods, etc. and have not yet been conquered by Egypt. This would be a change in history with the a revival of the Pre-Kerma culture with noble houses. Trade with Aksum and the Nestos League as well as possibly Arabia would revive the culture a bit and make its decline less prevalent.

Libya is probably much in the same boat - we just don't have historical support for there being much of a populace or civilization there, not for thousands of years. Any trade will be extremely small and haphazard, the one artisan in a thousand who does enough business to support a non-subsistence lifestyle. Nubia, though, is a good shout.

Right now, the Minoans should be in full swing as a trading partner (Crete specifically). The Minoans have been trading with both the Nestos League and the Single Market. Crete would be easier to get to than Egypt. Historically Crete was a trading power, not so much a military power. They have been left alone for the most part. They have some ties to the bull culture with bull dancing and acrobatics.

Ehhh. Minoan culture is still only in her very infancy - they've only worked bronze in tiny quantities for two hundred years, and it won't be another five hundred before they start building complex architecture. Not to rain on any parades, but you're probably making the mistake of generalizing this period of our RP to that of Classical Antiquity. None of the polities we think of as 'ancient history' are much of a going concern right now. The Cretans certainly don't have any palaces or sophisticated religions like that of Minoan bull worship yet.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:54 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:I vote for 5 years. There is a lot that can happen in 5 years... 2970

I too vote for 5 years
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Aight screw it, 2970 is the new year.

Moving on, to the next set of business. NPC civilizations: Who are they and how do they operate?

Generally, my intention for them is to be a foil against the ambition of established Author civ's. No offering these guy's pretty words or trinkets and having them join your empire - and fighting them will actually be somewhat costly. Idea's to expand upon this?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Saxony-Brandenburg
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Saxony-Brandenburg » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Joohan wrote:Aight screw it, 2970 is the new year.

Moving on, to the next set of business. NPC civilizations: Who are they and how do they operate?

Generally, my intention for them is to be a foil against the ambition of established Author civ's. No offering these guy's pretty words or trinkets and having them join your empire - and fighting them will actually be somewhat costly. Idea's to expand upon this?

Princely states in Dilmun that have gotten fat off Sumerian trade and need to fuel their constant war. Also they should be pirates and slavers who act as a source of laborers for Sumeria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse