NATION

PASSWORD

The 1990s, A New World RP (OOC/OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 pm

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:
New Cobastheia wrote:It's the East Germanys of the world who typically want to see Israel fall after all, not the West ones.

I'm not saying Israel needs to fall, but Palestine needs to be free, and Germany said they would support a two state solution yet now they fight the Palestinians? Just saying, this doesn't line up with his promises to me in his message in the IC, he's a traitor.

I mean, fighting Hamas and Hezbollah doesn't mean his Germany doesn't support a two-state solution. And as of this point in this timeline armed conflict is still the PLO's only official policy when it comes to getting an independent Palestine, so you know, I doubt the US, and by extension, most of the west is their biggest fan.

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 pm

Nazeroth wrote:Country (Full Official Name): Sublime Ottoman Union/Yüce Osmanlı Birliği

Head Of Government: President Ertaç Koray

Head Of State: Sultan Mehmed Orhan II

Government: Nationalist Constitutional Monarchy

GDP: 150.7 billion

GDP Per Capita: 18761.76

Population: 55,000,000

Currency: Turkish Lira

Faction: No official side yet, but is anti-communist

History: After WW2 the new balance of power had shifted across the world. The Cold War locked the planet in an icy grip of paranoia and proxy wars. War after War in harsh lands like Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan rocked political balance with every shot fired. Turkey was no exception to this. With the rise of the Western and Eastern Bloc Turkey found itself faced by the ever present greek's to the west and the godless soviet east. While relations had been decent between the west, the Soviets were ambitious. Communist influence's began pouring into Turkey, this began after the fall of Korea and other bastions of the "western" influence.

A communist revolution broke out in the 80's when the president was assassinated. Martial Law was declared and the nation almost fell into total civil war until a combination of military generals, nationalists and conservatives were able to restore the government after a few battles which resulted in almost seven thousand dead with smaller attacks lasting until 1985. In 1985 the new government reformed itself and created the Sublime Ottoman Union which in effect created a Constitutional Monarchy similar to that of the United Kingdom with the Sultan having limited but effective powers. A new banner was drafted and raised in Istanbul to show a new and proud Turkish people.

Flage I created:

Did you read the rules in full?: yup

I'm going to have to say no. Not because I don't like the premise or for any other reason save for massively skewed history, and the fact that a lot of real Turkish history was ignored. Ever since Atatürk was the Turkish president, the military has been given the roll of keeping Turkey on the path set out by Atatürk. In 1960 and 1971 the coups where quickly followed with the implementation of a Kemalist liberal government that was also democratic. The 1980 coup was much bloodier, and military rule lasted three years.

But the point is that the military had a solemn duty to preserve the Kemalist ideals of liberalisim, modernity, and secularisim. So the rise of a religious, conservative, and frankly un-Kemalist regime would have prompted a...military coup. Knowing the modern history of Turkey, any rise of a government that proceeds to revive the Ottoman Empire would be crushed beneath the tracks of the army's tanks in the name of restoring Kemalist ideals.

Because of this, I can't think of a way that the Ottoman government could survive short of purging the army, but that would cause a whole host of issues, and likely lead to a coup that would topple the Ottoman government (this was much like what happened in 2016). Considering all this, I'm going to have to deny your application. But it is an incredibly interesting idea, and I really like the flag.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Monsone wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:Country (Full Official Name): Sublime Ottoman Union/Yüce Osmanlı Birliği

Head Of Government: President Ertaç Koray

Head Of State: Sultan Mehmed Orhan II

Government: Nationalist Constitutional Monarchy

GDP: 150.7 billion

GDP Per Capita: 18761.76

Population: 55,000,000

Currency: Turkish Lira

Faction: No official side yet, but is anti-communist

History: After WW2 the new balance of power had shifted across the world. The Cold War locked the planet in an icy grip of paranoia and proxy wars. War after War in harsh lands like Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan rocked political balance with every shot fired. Turkey was no exception to this. With the rise of the Western and Eastern Bloc Turkey found itself faced by the ever present greek's to the west and the godless soviet east. While relations had been decent between the west, the Soviets were ambitious. Communist influence's began pouring into Turkey, this began after the fall of Korea and other bastions of the "western" influence.

A communist revolution broke out in the 80's when the president was assassinated. Martial Law was declared and the nation almost fell into total civil war until a combination of military generals, nationalists and conservatives were able to restore the government after a few battles which resulted in almost seven thousand dead with smaller attacks lasting until 1985. In 1985 the new government reformed itself and created the Sublime Ottoman Union which in effect created a Constitutional Monarchy similar to that of the United Kingdom with the Sultan having limited but effective powers. A new banner was drafted and raised in Istanbul to show a new and proud Turkish people.

Flage I created:

Did you read the rules in full?: yup

I'm going to have to say no. Not because I don't like the premise or for any other reason save for massively skewed history, and the fact that a lot of real Turkish history was ignored. Ever since Atatürk was the Turkish president, the military has been given the roll of keeping Turkey on the path set out by Atatürk. In 1960 and 1971 the coups where quickly followed with the implementation of a Kemalist liberal government that was also democratic. The 1980 coup was much bloodier, and military rule lasted three years.

But the point is that the military had a solemn duty to preserve the Kemalist ideals of liberalisim, modernity, and secularisim. So the rise of a religious, conservative, and frankly un-Kemalist regime would have prompted a...military coup. Knowing the modern history of Turkey, any rise of a government that proceeds to revive the Ottoman Empire would be crushed beneath the tracks of the army's tanks in the name of restoring Kemalist ideals.

Because of this, I can't think of a way that the Ottoman government could survive short of purging the army, but that would cause a whole host of issues, and likely lead to a coup that would topple the Ottoman government (this was much like what happened in 2016). Considering all this, I'm going to have to deny your application. But it is an incredibly interesting idea, and I really like the flag.

No worries :) ill try something else
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:00 pm

If I may suggest something Nazeroth, what about an independent Kurdistan?

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:If I may suggest something Nazeroth, what about an independent Kurdistan?

Nah im pondering something else
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Monsone wrote:
Dahyan wrote:Just to confirm it: does this new Reich thingie in West Germany also control West Berlin, much like West Germany in RL? Quite important to know for RP purposes between the DDR and the Reich.

Technically no. But in reality it's like IRL.

So I control all of Berlin?
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Dahyan wrote:
Monsone wrote:Technically no. But in reality it's like IRL.

Nope. You control East Berlin. West Berlin belongs to the Americans, French, and British.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:Traitor

It's the East Germanys of the world who typically want to see Israel fall after all, not the West ones.

The DDR was one of the most prolific supporters of the PLO, that's for sure.

News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Monsone wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

Nope. You control East Berlin. West Berlin belongs to the Americans, French, and British.

Ah, got it. I misunderstood your previous post. So it's not part of the Reich, but owned by the Western Allies.

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Dahyan wrote:
Monsone wrote:

Ah, got it. I misunderstood your previous post. So it's not part of the Reich, but owned by the Western Allies.

Yes.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:35 am

We need to purge inactive slots imo this is unnacceptable
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:40 am

Agarntrop wrote:We need to purge inactive slots imo this is unnacceptable

Agreed, especially important slots like the US

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:52 am

The Felan Federation wrote:
Dahyan wrote:Felan, any chance for cooperation between Afghanistan and the DDR? I find your opening post quite intriguing.

Uhm...a Communist Germany calling out the USSR for not being communist enough, disliking their monarchist neighbors and is eager to cooperate with a monarchy?

Oh the irony...what you got in mind?

Coming back to this matter, the DDR in RL was quite well known for sending technical staff and engineers to various countries across the world to help modernise their armed forces, as well as exporting industrial and computer equipment.

The Pearl River
Envoy

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pearl River » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:08 am

I'm still writing my post please don't purge me

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:39 am

The Pearl River wrote:

I don't know what to do as Ireland. I'm kinda irrelevant.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:42 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
The Pearl River wrote:I'm still writing my post please don't purge me

Then switch to a different nation

Obv we need a new US and an Indian player could be interesting, or smth in Africa or South America.
Last edited by The Baton Rouge Free State on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lunalus
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 am

Country (Full Official Name): Imperial state of Iran

Head Of Government:Reza Pahlavi

Head Of State: Reza Pahlavi

GDP: 124.8 billion USD

GDP Per Capita: 2,214.33 USD

Population: 56 million

Currency: Iranian Rial

Faction: Neutral (West Leaning)

History: The white revolution that Reza Pahlavi oversaw was much gradual than the ones here in irl, The shah tightened his grip on power by assassinating religious opposition that could pose a threat to the imperial state including the radical ayatollah khomeini. Reza shah died in 1980 and was succeeded by his son, Reza Pahlavi II. Under his guidance, Reza Pahlavi toned down on the authoritarianism and Iran became a more secular country. In this timeline iran leaned more towards kemalist ideas, although there are conservative opposition against the monarchy, without a leader they are disenfranchised and could easily be crushed by the iranian goverment

Did you read the rules in full?: yes

Lisbane
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lisbane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:04 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
The Pearl River wrote:I'm still writing my post please don't purge me

Do you want me to invade? Cause I was gonna invade anyway, but I can quicken the pace a little.
I'm a INTJ-T Personality, I'm a turbulent Architect. I value logic and reason above all else, and despise authority, unless it furthers humanity (Government for example). You can telegram me if you'd like to have a discussion. Generally I like philosophical discussions, but any and all are welcomed.

Sincerely,
Lisbane

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:07 am

Lisbane wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:I don't know what to do as Ireland. I'm kinda irrelevant.

Do you want me to invade? Cause I was gonna invade anyway, but I can quicken the pace a little.

oh shit I put we were on good relations... sure?
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Lisbane wrote:Do you want me to invade? Cause I was gonna invade anyway, but I can quicken the pace a little.

oh shit I put we were on good relations... sure?

If that happens in 1990 I am 100% dropping out.

If you think that there is any chance of that happening past like 1940 you are delusional

Two european states on good terms just going to war "because yes" is incredibly unrealistic.

You want invasions do it in a realistic way

You could take up the US and invade Panama due to the whole Noriega dispute
Left Without Edge

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 am

Lunalus wrote:Country (Full Official Name): Imperial state of Iran

History: The white revolution that Reza Pahlavi oversaw was much gradual than the ones here in irl, The shah tightened his grip on power by assassinating religious opposition that could pose a threat to the imperial state including the radical ayatollah khomeini. Reza shah died in 1980 and was succeeded by his son, Reza Pahlavi II. Under his guidance, Reza Pahlavi toned down on the authoritarianism and Iran became a more secular country. In this timeline iran leaned more towards kemalist ideas, although there are conservative opposition against the monarchy, without a leader they are disenfranchised and could easily be crushed by the iranian goverment

Accepted.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 am

Monsone wrote:

Accepted.

Is there like any explanation as to why there was no revolution?
Left Without Edge

Monsone
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:23 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Monsone wrote:
Accepted.

Is there like any explanation as to why there was no revolution?

Yes. The more gradual reforms and assassination of religious figureheads. This is basically what would happen if Iran stopper the protests successfully, and the crackdowns where successful.
Mohn-sohn-eh

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am

Monsone wrote:

Accepted.

Good Iran-Israel relations Lunalus?

The Felan Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Felan Federation » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 pm

The Pearl River wrote:

Afghanistan is open for business and is pro-socialist.

Monsone wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Is there like any explanation as to why there was no revolution?

Yes. The more gradual reforms and assassination of religious figureheads. This is basically what would happen if Iran stopper the protests successfully, and the crackdowns where successful.

Hiss. The enemy of Afghan, the Iranians. Two US-backed coups only one succeeded...kek.

Also, a bit busy on my end - I shall try to reply to the USSR and the German Imperialists tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse