NATION

PASSWORD

Wild Beasts of the Earth (Gothic Horror|IC|Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kowloon-California
Envoy

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kowloon-California » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:16 am

Liu Zhen, "Eric Liu"

As late comers slowly streamed into the cozy club room, the assembled members continued to mingle and digest the magnitude of the task which they had accepted.

What kind of oath have I sworn? It may not be perhaps the most apt comparison, but I never thought I would live my own Peach Garden Oath moment. Thought Liu Zhen, eyeing his future companions in arms.

In the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, one of the most legendary Chinese literary works, three heroes took an oath of brotherhood to live and die on the same day to fulfill the dream of restoring the Han Dynasty to its former glory, and rid the land of the evil which beset it. Would he find his comrades among this eccentric bunch? Admittedly, Liu Zhen was cautious. He was hardly a conservative, but at the end of the day, he was a product of his times, and such a man was deeply suspicious about the intentions of foreigners. He was not a shy man by any standard, but he was hardly ready to casually mingle.

It wasn't that he held any particular reason to be prejudiced, after all he had lived in Shanghai, a very international city, and his teachers growing up were English, Dutch, German, and just about every other nationality you could find in Europe. Yet the weight of the past century's history was still all too real in his psyche, as was the treatment he had received from his British overseers during the war. Most others in the Chinese Labour Corps were illiterate peasants, and were willing to put up with the condescension of their European taskmasters for the paycheck that they received, but needless to say, the experience could've been better. Of course, I should be happy we didn't have to fight on the front lines like the sorry men who we had the 'honor' of burying.

Scanning the room for someone to find someone to chat with, and found himself looking at a finely dressed young woman with an Asian face, who was quietly writing in her notebook. She looked like she clearly had no patience for the loutish arguing that was happening, but Liu Zhen was intrigued enough to want to walk over and start a conversation.

Upon taking several steps nearer, Liu Zhen noticed that she was probably a little older than he had initially guessed, though perhaps not by much. Judging from the fine embroidery of her dress, not to mention the gold jewelry, this was a well to do woman. This piqued his curiosity, for there were few Asians in Europe, let alone wealthy ones. His first intuition was that this woman was probably Japanese, but then again he couldn't really be sure just judging from the face alone.

Liu Zhen did not grow up as a poor boy, but even now he felt somewhat self conscious, and subconsciously smoothed out some of the worn threads on his suit. It was used brown tweed suit that he had bought shortly after arriving in London, and while he had saved away somewhat more money than the other peasants in the Labor Corps, Liu Zhen tried to avoid burning through too much of his funds. After all, he had no idea how long it would be before he would finally go home in the midst of the pandemic.

He coughed quietly to clear his throat and tried to catch her attention as he walked up to her chair. He decided upon a simple greeting in English before switching to a heavily Suzhou accented greeting in Guanhua* (Late Qing/Early Republic of China terminology for Mandarin). "Excuse me madam, my name is Eric Liu, may I ask for your name? It is a pleasure to meet you, may I ask what country you are from? Ni shi Zhongguo ren ma? (Are you Chinese?)"

It was a rather awkward introduction, and he suspected that even if she was another Chinese woman, she might not immediately understand him if she was not from the Jiangsu area. As he spoke the words however, his eyes naturally went to look at what she was writing in her notebook.

He did not know how to read the text, but growing up in Suzhou, he had seen it written rarely on government buildings alongside Chinese. Yet recognition did not immediately hit him, because it also seemed to resemble Mongolian script, which he had once seen from some travelers hailing from Inner Mongolia. As he awaited the woman's response, the cogs slowly turned in his head as he tried to remember what the significance of the text was.

Kylantha
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:02 am

Though certainly intrigued by what she'd heard, Sabina was hesitant. This was getting to be a lot more than she expected. Investigating some kind of mysterious murder? Sure, it would be a very educational and fascinating experience, but it also sounded like there would be significant danger to go with it. She would have to consider. After the explanation and the pleasantries, Sabina thanked Renier and stepped back, thinking long and hard about the morrow's deadline. A few thoughts passed through her mind, imagining what might happen in the near future. Part of her was truly curious, exploring the various possibilities as she stood well away from the group. In the end though, her more prevalent pragmatic side took hold. Lifting herself out of preoccupation, she took a glance at all the others who had gathered and sighed inaudibly. The longer Renier's words lingered in her mind, the crazier it all seemed. This was not a rabbit hole she wanted to go down.

As such, though she would consider it for a while owing to her suppressed curiosity and adventurous nature, Sabina would in the end not appear the next day and instead spend another week or so in London before quietly returning to Southampton, hoping to forget about the Order and everything it entailed so she could resume her life of blissful ignorance to the world unseen.
Last edited by Kylantha on Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Yalin
Lady Dowager of the Fucha Clan

When the rather tall Asian man greeted her in Guanhua, Lady Yalin clasped her notebook shut. Although she did not do so quickly, she still closed it firmly enough that the pages fluttered softly as the cover was forced down. She smiled softly as she put her notebook and pen back into her handbag, and gently removed her gloves, revealing her hands. Her nails were carefully manicured and cut short, except for those of her third and fourth fingers, which were long and slightly sharp, with the lengths perfectly white and healthy. It was a very clear marking for anyone who knew to look, for it and her unbound feet marked her as a Manchu noblewoman. If he were some sort of Republican, or perhaps in any other way anti-Manchu, such nods would surely steer him clear in a simple way without making any embarrassing scene for either party.

“我就是,” she affirmed in crisp Guanhua, then clarifying with a simple addition: “大淸。”

As his Wu accent was terribly difficult to understand, Lady Yalin opted to switch to English, as he had initially begun in English anyway.

“I am Yalin, Fujin Dowager to Prince of a Commandary Zairong of the Fucha Clan. Lady Yalin suffices in English, although I often adopt the English name Lady Lynn for those unequipped to pronounce even fairly simple oriental names such as mine. I am happy to make your acquaintance, Mr. Liu.”

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:"Miss Wasserman, I would be very happy to discuss your experience, though I'm afraid Mister van der Valk does tend to oversell my abilities somewhat," Eleanor replied to the newcomer. She glanced across at the two men who she would be travelling with tomorrow, then back at Victoria. She very much wanted to spend a bit of time getting to know them, though they would have quite a few long hours in the confines of the automobile and what Victoria was asking did seem to be fairly urgent.

She chewed the corner of her lip, feeling a little rude for asking, "Gentlemen, would you mind terribly if I spoke to Miss Wasserman about her experience?" she asked, using the same word Victoria had, "I will give you both my calling card. Shall we meet at eight tomorrow at my family residence in London? It really isn't too far from here. We can then all drive down together."

Victoria watched Eleanor give the two men her calling card. She was extremely glad that someone seemed to know how she felt and was willing to discuss it with her. Despite Victoria's trawling of great Kabbalah tomes, she had almost convinced herself that the... possession? was a strange hallucination or instance of amnesia, until Victoria had received that letter.

"That would be wonderful," said Victoria. "But here? Now? I should expect us to retire to another room to discuss my... experience. And as for Truro, I have an automobile, and I shall drive there."

Victoria wondered how she was going to explain it to her father. Mr. Wasserman was conservative in almost every sense of the word (Victoria voted Labour), and even though Victoria was a grown woman in these modern days, her father might not take kindly to her going off to Cornwall. He only knew of some of Victoria's adventures, and those he permitted because he thought Victoria would have met a good man.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Kowloon-California
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowloon-California » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:16 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
When the rather tall Asian man greeted her in Guanhua, Lady Yalin clasped her notebook shut. Although she did not do so quickly, she still closed it firmly enough that the pages fluttered softly as the cover was forced down. She smiled softly as she put her notebook and pen back into her handbag, and gently removed her gloves, revealing her hands. Her nails were carefully manicured and cut short, except for those of her third and fourth fingers, which were long and slightly sharp, with the lengths perfectly white and healthy. It was a very clear marking for anyone who knew to look, for it and her unbound feet marked her as a Manchu noblewoman. If he were some sort of Republican, or perhaps in any other way anti-Manchu, such nods would surely steer him clear in a simple way without making any embarrassing scene for either party.

“我就是,” she affirmed in crisp Guanhua, then clarifying with a simple addition: “大淸。”

As his Wu accent was terribly difficult to understand, Lady Yalin opted to switch to English, as he had initially begun in English anyway.

“I am Yalin, Fujin Dowager to Prince of a Commandary Zairong of the Fucha Clan. Lady Yalin suffices in English, although I often adopt the English name Lady Lynn for those unequipped to pronounce even fairly simple oriental names such as mine. I am happy to make your acquaintance, Mr. Liu.”

Liu Zhen finally realized that the woman sitting before him was a bona fide member of the Manchu royalty. To be honest, he had never met a Manchu noble in his life, and had no idea how to react. The Manchu were the bogeymen of his childhood as revolutionary fervor swept the country. Under the Qing, the only Manchu he had ever seen were the bannermen assigned to Suzhou as garrison troops. Those men were more adept with the opium pipe than the rifle, but were still a feared force nonetheless.

Though he was hardly the most involved in politics, he had knew enough that that Manchu people were to be welcomed as part of the multi-ethnic Republic of China. That applied to most Manchu people, but Manchu nobility was still a different matter. In fact, just the last year, in 1917, a general tried to roll into Beijing with his troops in a coup attempt that briefly restored the Emperor Puyi to the throne. As of the present day, the Beijing government still technically paid stipends to Manchu bannermen, and the former Emperor still lived in the walls of the Forbidden City, though for how much longer was up to anyone's guess.

His instinct told him that the woman before him was no threat to him. She was in fact to be his companion in arms. Yet as someone who had grown up steeped in progressive revolutionary culture, his brain told him that this Lady Yalin was part of the power structure which had left the Chinese civilization in a state of decay and unable to defend itself against the depredations of the West. That the revolution, though victorious, was clearly far from over. There was still a possibility that the Emperor could be restored one day, perhaps under Japan or Russia, and that freedom would slip away again.

Still, she was just a woman far from home, and at that moment, he was also a man far from home. Minutes ago he had just been told of the existence of supernatural creatures, if that wasn't reason enough to put aside human grudges, he wasn't sure what would be. There was the matter of her proclaiming to be of the "Great Qing (大淸)", which came off as unbearably pretentious for his revolutionary sensibilities, but he could let a few things slide.

If anything, she could help tutor me in improving my Guoyu*, he thought. (Guoyu became the preferred term for Guanhua during the Republic of China as the country transitioned away from Imperial terminology).

Having finally settled on adopting a policy of cautious acceptance, Liu Zhen realized that he had been frozen with his mouth agape, staring at Lady Yalin, for perhaps a few seconds beyond what would be considered socially adept, rapidly entering the territory of schoolboy awkwardness.

"Ahem, it is a pleasure to meet you too Lady Yalin. 雅琳福晉是吧?我叫劉真,你以後也可以跟我多說國語." (Lady Yalin is it? My name is Liu Zhen, from here on you are welcome to speak more Guoyu with me!). He strained himself with even more effort this time to excise the Suzhou dialect from his accent, and was somewhat pleased with his better attempt this time, and promptly switched back to English in order to avoid more embarrassment.

"I am . . . very surprised to find someone like you so far from home. I would ask you what brings you to a place like London, but I think a better question would be to ask what brings you to the Four Horse Club. Have you ever seen such . . . beasts before?" said Liu Zhen, struggling to find the right words as his tone became much more solemn.
Last edited by Kowloon-California on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 am

Eleanor Martin

Voxija wrote:Victoria watched Eleanor give the two men her calling card. She was extremely glad that someone seemed to know how she felt and was willing to discuss it with her. Despite Victoria's trawling of great Kabbalah tomes, she had almost convinced herself that the... possession? was a strange hallucination or instance of amnesia, until Victoria had received that letter.

"That would be wonderful," said Victoria. "But here? Now? I should expect us to retire to another room to discuss my... experience. And as for Truro, I have an automobile, and I shall drive there."

Victoria wondered how she was going to explain it to her father. Mr. Wasserman was conservative in almost every sense of the word (Victoria voted Labour), and even though Victoria was a grown woman in these modern days, her father might not take kindly to her going off to Cornwall. He only knew of some of Victoria's adventures, and those he permitted because he thought Victoria would have met a good man.

"We aren't really set up for private discussions," Eleanor mused, though you could tell she was thinking of some way to make Victoria more comfortable, "Not to worry Miss Wasserman, I think I know just the place.. just don't touch anything."

She motioned for Victoria to follow her before setting off, at a brisk pace, in the direction van der Valk had appeared from when he made his entrance, where there was another corridor, leading off from the main hall. It was not that well lit and an awful lot colder note they were away from the fire. They passed about half a dozen heavy wooden doors before finally Eleanor stopped before one, fumbling in a pocket in her skirt for a key.

The mechanism clunked heavily as she turned it and it looked like she needed to lean quite heavily on the door before it swung open.

The room was small, with no windows and only a single electric bulb to provide lighting. In the dim light, more symbols like the ones on the threshold could be seen etched into the floor, ceiling, all four walls and the back of the door. The air was heavy in here with some manner of strange energy and Victoria would get the district impression there were voices whispering, though just too quiet to be heard if you strained for them. Somehow though, they still managed to convey to convey a message of malice, madness and despair. Rows of padlocked iron cases sat on metal shelves on all sides of the room "Don't touch the boxes," Eleanor warned. She still managed to sound as chirpy as she usually did, though there was an unusual muffled quality to her voice, as if the presence of whatever malign entities were within the boxes was absorbing the sound, "I don't think anyone will disturb is in here! So, how can I help?"

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Victoria Wasserman

Dyelli Beybi wrote:"We aren't really set up for private discussions," Eleanor mused, though you could tell she was thinking of some way to make Victoria more comfortable, "Not to worry Miss Wasserman, I think I know just the place.. just don't touch anything."

She motioned for Victoria to follow her before setting off, at a brisk pace, in the direction van der Valk had appeared from when he made his entrance, where there was another corridor, leading off from the main hall. It was not that well lit and an awful lot colder note they were away from the fire. They passed about half a dozen heavy wooden doors before finally Eleanor stopped before one, fumbling in a pocket in her skirt for a key.

The mechanism clunked heavily as she turned it and it looked like she needed to lean quite heavily on the door before it swung open.

The room was small, with no windows and only a single electric bulb to provide lighting. In the dim light, more symbols like the ones on the threshold could be seen etched into the floor, ceiling, all four walls and the back of the door. The air was heavy in here with some manner of strange energy and Victoria would get the district impression there were voices whispering, though just too quiet to be heard if you strained for them. Somehow though, they still managed to convey to convey a message of malice, madness and despair. Rows of padlocked iron cases sat on metal shelves on all sides of the room "Don't touch the boxes," Eleanor warned. She still managed to sound as chirpy as she usually did, though there was an unusual muffled quality to her voice, as if the presence of whatever malign entities were within the boxes was absorbing the sound, "I don't think anyone will disturb is in here! So, how can I help?"

The room seemed wrong to Victoria Wasserman. She was possibly expecting a private study, or another type of well-furnished room. Victoria got an uneasy feeling in this room, like something in it was plotting to kill her. But to avoid being heard by prying ears, it seemed like a good room.

"I just want to talk to someone who can believe me," said Victoria. "Finally, I have that chance."

Victoria began telling her story. "It was before the war. I was walking in Jerusalem, the sun was high in the sky, and I felt pretty good about myself. And then I found myself in the other side of Jerusalem, and the sun was much lower in the sky, with a pistol in my hand. When I checked a clock, I found out that four hours had passed, which was horrifying, since it seemed like no time had passed. I consulted a library of Kabbalist literature—that was my first instinct—and thought that a dybbuk had possessed me"—Victoria suppressed a gulp—"to commit a terrible deed of murder—that's why the pistol. I had almost convinced myself it was a hallucination, but now I'm sure that my experience was something supernatural. I need guidance. I need proof. And I need to know just what exactly had happened to me."

Victoria extended her arms. "If the Order can't give me answers, that doesn't really matter. What was important was that I have told someone else my experience. I told my father and some of my friends, and they didn't believe me. Thank you for listening to my past."
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Scurvy Sea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Scurvy Sea » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Gordon Graham

"Why, good sir!"

Without missing a beat, Gordon flashed a bright smile towards the self-proclaimed "Master" of the so-called "Order of Saint Thomas." Offering a bow of nothing but courtesy, his hands at last settling down into the pockets of his suit's jacket as he composed himself. Briefly waving away whatever matters stood between him and the master, as it seemed the rest of these people had already heard the very same thing, judging as there was hardly a movement upon him speaking those words.

"If it is my commitment you seek, it is my commitment you have! Now- it puzzles me as to how you chose me for such a duty, but let me assure you nonetheless, you've chosen the right man! Truro you say? I'm familiar with the spot, have friends tell me all about the place from time to time. I do wish we could be traveling to such a place on better circumstance. If my presence assists in the solving of this grim deed however, I'd be more than glad to come along. Eleven in the afternoon you've said, right? Believe me, I will certainly be in your company."

As they had proven so far with their statement's, these people were no affiliates of Britain. At least, not officially. What they had however proven themselves as was insane. Talk of the otherworldly, the supernatural, supposed vigilantes it seemed. No matter the downfalls of the organization, just a simple thing greatly made up for lunacy in the con artist's eyes. A train ticket. A way outside of London. Yet another opportunity, Gordon would not pass upon.
Last edited by Scurvy Sea on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Yalin
Lady Dowager of the Fucha Clan

To Lady Yalin, the moment of silence that Mr. Liu had left before making any sort of response was marked by a sort of quiet tension, as if he had found himself confronted by a dilemma as to how to respond. The Lady Dowager looked at Liu with an expression that elegantly shifted from the placid blankness of her usual noble composure to one of slight concern or confusion, with a gently raised eyebrow and a slight frown. Once he mentioned Guoyu, which gave reason to believe that he was a Republican. She clasped her hands together and nodded politely as he stumbled through the Official Language as he attempted to cleanse his voice of Wu aspects.

She had an inclination to reply candidly, but thought better of it. After all, his precise political affiliations were not yet clear to her, and even if they were, it would be rude to assail an individual who likely had little to do with her personal affairs over things that had happened in the past, even if she did still hold each and every member of the revolutionary forces in a special position of disdain.

“Similarly, I assume, to most others here, I was formally invited under the pretense that this would be a social gathering, but with little indication as to any other details beyond the location and time,” she explained with a slightly haughty tone, “The only beasts I’ve ever personally come into contact with are those already made into pelts, as well as a selection of vandals, thieves, and other assorted miscreants.”

Although she had left her precise meaning vague, it would not have taken an expert sleuth to divine that she was likely referring to some of the actors in the Xinhai Rebellion.

“As for why I am in London,” she continued, “It is quite simple. My husband and nation passed from this world to the next in a similar time frame, and so it seemed prudent to me to attempt to start anew. Britain was simply most convenient and most preferable to me.”

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 am

Eleanor Martin

Voxija wrote:Victoria Wasserman

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Victoria began telling her story. "It was before the war. I was walking in Jerusalem, the sun was high in the sky, and I felt pretty good about myself. And then I found myself in the other side of Jerusalem, and the sun was much lower in the sky, with a pistol in my hand. When I checked a clock, I found out that four hours had passed, which was horrifying, since it seemed like no time had passed. I consulted a library of Kabbalist literature—that was my first instinct—and thought that a dybbuk had possessed me"—Victoria suppressed a gulp—"to commit a terrible deed of murder—that's why the pistol. I had almost convinced myself it was a hallucination, but now I'm sure that my experience was something supernatural. I need guidance. I need proof. And I need to know just what exactly had happened to me."

Victoria extended her arms. "If the Order can't give me answers, that doesn't really matter. What was important was that I have told someone else my experience. I told my father and some of my friends, and they didn't believe me. Thank you for listening to my past."

Eleanor listened attentively to what Victoria had to say, pursing her lips thoughtfully. When she finished, she nodded, as if it sounded like something she understood, "I'm not familiar with a dybbuk, but there are a number of entities I know of that can possess a person. Demons are the one people tend to talk about, but other spirits can as well, including the souls of the dead. Demonic entities tend to possess for long periods of time to inflict the maximum pain and suffering while spirits are, as I understand it, more goal focused."

She gave a somewhat apologetic smile, "Without having been there at the time it is very difficult to diagnose exactly what happened and we might never know, but there is one potential avenue we could try; when this investigation in Truro is done, how would you feel about seeing a hypnotist? You see, it strikes me that most accounts I have read of possessions, people are able to remember what happened, a bit like they were in a dream. If you don't remember anything it could be because whatever happened was so horrible you don't want to remember it and have walled it away in your mind. If that is the case, we can try to break those walls."

She paused before adding, with an edge of concern in her voice, "Though you might not thank me for it."

'There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy'

Leincester Square
8:00am, Wednesday 11 December, 1918

Co-written by Dyelli Beybi, Reverend Norv and New Udonia

The Martin residence was in a well-to-do neighbourhood, just North of Hyde park, bordering an ornamental garden called 'Leincester Square'. At this time of year the plane trees in the square were devoid of leaves and skeletal with twigs and branches reaching up into the unknown depths of the omnipresent London fog. The houses themselves were all white and identical, arranged in a long terrace, each with two pillars out the front of its door.

Jean-Martin arrived on a bicycle. The doctor pedalled up to the square from the south on a somewhat rickety metal contraption; his right hand firmly gripped the handlebars, and his maimed left arm was held close against his side. He was dressed much as he had been the previous night: grey gabardine suit and white shirt, blue silk necktie, camelhair overcoat, broad-brimmed fedora. A battered leather doctor's bag hung at his side from a shoulder strap. As he pedalled, he was looking at the skeletal trees with what looked for all the world like genuine sorrow. Before he had a chance to go searching for the correct address though, a familiar clear voice called out from behind a large silver motorcar, "Monsieur de Florac!"

Eleanor had been seemingly been deep in conversation with a chauffeur, though when she spotted her travelling companion she waved, bouncing up on the balls of her feet to be sure she was noticed. She was wearing a fur lined leather coat today, with a blue, wide-brimmed hat she had anchored in place with a similarly coloured scarf. Clearly she had dressed with the thought of the elements; the vehicle was a cabriolet and the roof was up, but there was still room for rain to slant in from the sides. Even from across the street the young woman seemed to radiate enthusiasm. While she wasn't particularly keen on investigating a brutal murder, it had seemed like an eternity since she'd been out of London and even longer since she'd been in the position to have a really good conversation with someone; she was quite looking forward to the journey to Truro, if not what they were likely to find there.

When Eleanor called out to him, Jean-Martin's head turned, and he suddenly smiled at the sight of her bouncing up and down: a genuine, ungentlemanly grin very out of place in Leicester Square. "Good morning, Mademoiselle Martin!" the Frenchman called back. He hopped off his bicycle and used a lock from the pocket of his overcoat to attach it to the garden's wrought-iron fence, deftly using his stump to hold the bicycle in place until the task was complete. Then he straightened, shrugging his doctor's bag higher on his shoulder, and crossed the street to stand with Eleanor next to her motor car.

Jean-Martin's eyes moved over the car's silver lines, and he nodded his greetings to the chauffeur, and then that blue-green gaze moved - not without hesitation - back to Eleanor's face. "You know," the doctor admitted, "I have no idea how to drive one of these. When I left Algeria, I don't know that there were more than a dozen of them in all of Oran." The doctor inclined his head, studying Eleanor's face. "Did you ever get the chance to learn?" Something about Jean-Martin's intense attention made it clear that he was not just making polite conversation; for whatever reason, he really wanted to know.

Eleanor motioned towards the chauffeur, "Jones very kindly taught me how. He was, I might add, very patient with me. He tells me I was a reasonable student though I can't imagine he has ever needed to teach anyone worse!" The comment drew a chuckle from Jones, though he otherwise didn't engage in the conversation, "Had we had a third travel companion," Eleanor continued, "I would have driven the vehicle myself, if none of the gentlemen were able, though I might have needed assistance in the event of a mechanical breakdown." For a moment she worried about Jean-Martin's bicycle being left out on the street. True, this was a good neighbourhood, and anything happening was unlikely, but just to be safe... "Would you like me to put the bicycle inside?" She asked, "I would be mortified if anything happened to it while we were in Truro."

It was a small matter, but one she thought best to attend to before asking about Oran, which sounded marvellously exotic compared to dreary London.

"It can fit?" Jean-Martin asked in surprise. He glanced back and forth between the car and the bicycle. "Well, I suppose it can. And it might be useful to have it, when we get to Truro."

He walked quickly across the street and bent over the lock, struggling for a few moments to get it loose with one hand. But after that, he grabbed the bicycle seat with his right hand and lifted the vehicle easily off the ground; evidently the loss of one hand had made the other stronger to compensate. Still, Jean-Martin nodded his appreciation to Jones as the chauffeur helped him to stow the bicycle.

Eleanor watched the loading of the bike with a small degree of nervousness, pacing back and forth as she watched the pair, chewing the corner of her lip. Please let this work... She had actually meant she could store the bicycle in the house, though thankfully Jean-Martin and Jones were able to find a safe place to stow it between the luggage rack and spare tyre. The doctor was, of course, right that the bicycle would be useful, though she also didn't want to disappoint him either.

"Thank you," the doctor told Eleanor simply. He smiled thoughtfully. "It is good that you can drive," he announced, and then hurriedly added: "I think so, anyway." Jean-Martin tucked his hand into an overcoat pocket and stared up at the London roof-line. "I have always thought that it must be very freeing: to be able to start an engine and go, in a single day, wherever you want. No train timetables or tickets or passes. Just the road, and the wind." He glanced at Eleanor, a little ruefully. "'Tis not too late to seek a newer world,' and so on."

Eleanor moved to stand a bit closer to him, leaning back against the metal body of motorcar. It was so nice to be in pleasant company for a change. She could almost forget about the reason she was in that company. Almost. Eleanor hadn't actually been in the field before and while she was armed with the knowledge to keep herself safe from most beasts of the darkness, she wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't freeze up and forget everything if actually confronted by one... Jean-Martin's comment, and his Tennyson brought her back to the present though. She smiled with undisguised delight, having never considered that a Frenchman would have any interest in English poetry. She skipped a couple of lines she couldn't quite remember, adding, "To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die," she paused before adding wistfully, "That would be something, wouldn't it? I have never left this island and most of my adult life have been spent in that library. Books allow you to see the world with your mind's eye, but I do rather want to see it with my actual eyes as well. Perhaps you could tell me a little bit about Oran while we wait for Mr Mulloy?"

Jean-Martin chuckled and leaned against the motorcar next to her; Eleanor was tall enough that they were almost the same height. When she had smiled at his Tennyson, the doctor's eyes had left the roof-line for Eleanor's face, and his gaze had remained steady since. "It is funny," he remarked. "When I was a boy, I thought that Oran was the most provincial, boring little place. Nothing ever happened. I read all these books about London and Paris, and felt sure that people there knew far more about the world than we did." He shrugged slightly. "There is an English saying about how the grass is always greener, n'est-ce pas?"

"But Oran." The doctor paused, head cocked thoughtfully again. "It is a port city, first and foremost. Rubber from Congo, bananas from Cochinchina, all manner of things and people passing through. The European quarter is near the port: all these white stone buildings with cafes in front. Rather like this, actually." Jean-Martin's expression reflected his low opinion of that particular irony. "But if you go a little further inland, you find the souk: a labyrinth of ancient streets filled with bales of dates and spices, and clay ovens turning out khubz beledi - flatbread. There are alleys for the silverworkers and the potters and the tobacco-sellers, and everything smells like tea and ras al-hanout."

"And if you go a little further, you leave the city altogether, and the ground rises around you into the Atlas Mountains, and the air tastes of dust and wild sage and olives. I grew up out there; my family is in the olive business. Twelve thousand olive trees in straight lines across the mountainside, where the local shepherds drive their herds between the groves to eat up the gleanings. And in the rocky peaks above, where I hunted with the groundskeepers, the last of the lions of North Africa." There was longing in Jean-Martin's voice, and loss, raw and exhausted. "I have not been back since the war," he said quietly.

Mulloy, meanwhile, had decided to walk to the Martin residence. As always, he left immediately after breakfast. As he approached the neighbourhood, the scenery was transformed. While the streets were now relatively clean and affluent, the lack of passersby was sobering. Then he heard a feminine voice, which he recognised as Miss Martin's.

While he continued at his steady pace he heard the sound of an approaching bicycle. He paused enough to watch the rider pass and cover the remaining distance nearly five times as fast as he would by walking. I should invest in one of those.

By the time he had arrived, both of his to-be traveling companions were seemingly deep in conversation. Not wanting to interrupt them, he stood out of earshot, waiting for it to naturally end. When it did he approached his hostess and greeted both of them. "Sorry, am late. I underestimated London's size, egain."

"Not to worry, Mister Mulloy!" Eleanor seemed to be particularly cheerful today, "It was no bother at all. Monsieur de Florac was telling me the most fascinating story about his time in Oran." Eleanor was full of superlatives though she sounded like she meant every one, "Well Gentlemen, now that we are all here, once you have your baggage stowed, we should be on our way. We have quite a long journey ahead of us. Were the weather nicer, I would have packed a picnic, bit I am sure we shall find somewhere nice to stop for lunch."

The faraway look faded from Jean-Martin's eye, and he smiled and stretched his legs as he stepped away from the car. The doctor turned and opened the car's door for Eleanor. "Then I look forward to trying the spécialités du pays." He offered Cowal a polite nod. "Shall we?"

"Thank you, Sir," Eleanor's smile was bright in the morning gloom. While she had known a little about everyone from the research the Order had done on them, she had never expected Jean-Martin to be anywhere near this charming.

Paddington Station
10:45am, Wednesday 11 December, 1918

There was a busy hum around the station that started at the taxi drop-off point, then spread into the vast railway hall with it's ranks of trains separated by long platforms. The train was on platform three and van der Valk, was waiting by the gate, a handful of tickets clutched in one meaty palm.

He had dressed down for the trip and now wore a leather overcoat, wide brimmed hat and boots that made him look a little bit like a farmer from the colonies, which coincidentally was precisely what Renier van der Valk was. He waved as he saw the first of his group approaching, "Good to see you decided to join us."

The train, a dark green 4-6-0 was chuffing, hissing and thumping as the crew went through the laborious process of getting the vehicle warmed up and ready to move out. It was a handsome green colour and radiated warmth from the boiler that you could easily feel on the platform, a massive steel testament to humanity's ability to tame nature, though if one were to take van der Valk's assertions from the night before at face value, it would seem that there was a world beyond that and the things in that world of shadow were very distinctly untamed.

Renier had, with a slight grimace at the eye-watering price, purchased first class tickets for the group. It was the Order paying, but he still felt obligated to show some manner of financial prudence, though it would also not do for some of the aristocrats in the group to travel in third. This meant that the new recruits would be able to sort themselves into several 6-seater private booths with storage for their luggage under their seats as well as in a long wire basket overhead. There was also a dining cart where they could have lunch - it would be a long journey by all accounts, though they should reach Truro in time to have a quick look in at the hospital before they turned in for the night.

"Climb aboard and I will be with you shortly. The train waits for no man!" van der Valk declared.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Victoria Wasserman

Eleanor's remarks made Victoria apprehensive. Victoria saw hypnosis as a dodgy method prone to errors and abuse, but if that was what she had to do to find out exactly what happened that day, so be it.

"I accept," said Victoria. "I know that what happened to me might be even worse than what I suspected, maybe even worse than being made to murder someone. But I am ready, I am brave. Thank you for this opportunity."

Victoria shook Eleanor's hand and left the room.

10:45 AM, Paddington Station

Victoria Wasserman hurried over to platform three, drawing eyes due to her old-fashioned look and her many suitcases, which were filled with dresses and Kabbalic tomes. What Eleanor had said implied that all of Victoria's knowledge and conjecture about... well, anything would be proven false, but Victoria still brought the heavy books along, just in case.

Victoria had decided to take the train, since Van der Valk had brought tickets for the entire party and her car often backfired anyway. Victoria had had a long talk with her father about going off to Cornwall, and her father only let her come along after Victoria reminded him she was already an old maid and had a pretty good right hook.

Victoria climbed aboard the train. She had butterflies in her stomach, butterflies! She never had butterflies during any of her adventures, even the ones where she's risked her life. Victoria knew, subconsciously, that what was in the hospital in Truro might be just as terrible, or worse, as the thing that had possessed her.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 am

Dragoslav Čarapić and Narek Ashjian- The Station

Dragoslav walked rather uneasily into the Paddington Train Station, carrying with him a single suitcase that contained everything he seemed to be necessary for this little train trip to Truro. He still had his signature dark eye glasses, though he was also wearing his worn hat that he inherited from his father back when he was still a teenage boy back in Belgrade. In addition to that, he was wearing a face mask as per the regulations of the government that were put in place in lieu with the current killer pandemic that was going around. It was clear that he didn't have a good night's rest, as evidenced by his weary eyes and slow movements. One could say that he had a bad start of the day.

Either way, he got one glance at the tickets that the Order had apparently procured for them all free of charge in their part. Dragoslav almost yelped at the price that the tickets demanded from the pockets of those that bought them; truth be told, he had never ridden in first class before, whether it be in a train or ship. Because of his rather unremarkable social standing and income level, he would usually use the cheapest options available, but now...

The Serb stepped into the train, looking around. It seemed that it was just him and a certain Victoria Wasserman at the moment, though there looked like to be a sleeping Armenian in one of the seats that were situated in the very end of the train car. It would seem that Narek Ashjian was very punctual for the train; so punctual in fact that he had arrived thirty minutes earlier. He was resting; perhaps it was best not to disturb him in his state.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Kowloon-California
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowloon-California » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:21 am

Liu Zhen - The Four Horse Club

As the evening wound to a close, Liu Zhen began to felt quite weary, not only physically, but of the mission ahead and of what it would mean to work with his comrades. He was beginning to feel that there was much more to Lady Yalin than he had first expected. She was the image of a classic Manchu noblewoman, but he was starting to realize that she had a certain hard edge beneath her polished exterior. What proper lady would still stay in a club after being told that their mission was to hunt monsters after all?

"Lady Yalin, the nation yet lives, and with each day it will grow stronger again. Someday, I will invite you to return, and I hope to show you that even Manchu people can find prosperity in our Republic of five races. You might even grow to like some of those assorted miscreants," said Liu Zhen.

Yet his heart tightened with discomfort even as he said those same words. He wasn't sure if he could believe it himself just yet. The upward progress of the Republic of China was one thing, but there was no going home until he could face the evil that destroyed his past life. The evil that had taken his lover to the sandy depths of the Huangpu River.

The thinly veiled jab at the revolutionaries aside, Liu Zhen in his character did not see a need to further make jabs. For in the end, his simple reasoning was that this was a woman who had lost her husband, and had no family to speak of anymore. In the traditions of his upbringing, women were to be protected by men, and ladies all the more so. It made no difference that she was a Manchu noble. Her husband was the only one who the revolutionaries probably had a quarrel with, and from her description, he was long gone.

"As for this club, I'm surprised that you chose to stay even after hearing everything they had to say. I've never seen one of these beasts either - at least not directly, but I believe that they exist. That evil exists and it has follows us everywhere. Excuse me in advance if I am rude, but when we go out on our mission, if you sense any danger, please stay close. A hunt of this sort is no place for a lady. I will protect you if you ask for it." At these last words, Liu Zhen grew quiet and reflected on his past failures.

Without engaging in further conversation, he excused himself for the evening as others retired. They had a morning train to catch.

Liu Zhen - Paddington Station, 10:47am

After a restless night sleeping on the lumpy mattress offered by the only inn that would accept a Chinese man, Liu Zhen arrived at the station at the appointed time with all of his belongings neatly tucked and folded into one large suitcase. He was looking forward to fully taking up the Order's offer of living stipends, and moving out of the little hovel that he called home for the time being.

"Thank you for the ticket sir. As you can see, I have arrived, and I will keep my word," said Liu Zhen as he accepted the ticket from van der Valk. He made quite the sight in London, and stood out immediately with his adventure outfit.

Perhaps I should have bought something other than this suit, I can't exactly afford another one. Other than the money he had set aside to pay for the trip home, his wallet was starting to wear thin.

Nevertheless, it was too late for that now, and he moved into the train looking for the appointed seat and cabin. Suddenly, he was halted by one of the train conductors, who pointed him in the opposite direction.

"Excuse me, the coach compartments are that way," said the conductor.

"Ah yes, my apologies. I have a ticket, is this the right place?" said Liu Zhen, offering his first class ticket to the conductor.

The conductor's expression turned into one of confusion, before he quickly hid it away under a thinly veiled professional veneer. "Ah . . . yes, well this seems to be in order. Please take your seat quickly sir, we'll be underway shortly." The conductor clipped the ticket and allowed Liu Zhen through before going to hassle other passengers.

Liu Zhen filed inside, and he was astonished by how spacious and luxurious it was. Never in his two years of service on the Western Front did he or any other of the Chinese Labor Corps members ever get to sit in anything other than cargo cars. Now, he was even privy to food and beverage service for the ride. What a nice surprise it was.

In the car, there already seemed to be three others of the order who had arrived. Liu Zhen had seen them the night before, but hadn't the opportunity to meet them aside from learning of their names indirectly.

He extended his hand to the two others who were awake, presumably one Lady Victoria Wasserman, and a Mr. Čarapić. He remembered Mr. Čarapić as one of those who had gotten into an argument with the Americans, and noted the Serbian's uncertain temperament. He did not want to wake up the Armenian, who looked to have already settled into a comfortable nap.

"Hello, my name is Liu Zhen, or you can call me Eric Liu if it is any easier. It is a pleasure to meet you both."

Another woman. I hope this Order knows what it is doing. If this mission is truly so dangerous, then why do we throw these ladies into harm's way? He wondered. Comparatively speaking, Liu Zhen was fairly progressive for his time as many women had also taken part in the Xinhai Revolution. Wu Shuqing, after all, was a famed female fighter who formed an all-women militia company that fought in many battles of the war. Still, he was a man of his times, and did not believe that it was morally correct to put women into harm's way without any other option.

Settling in for the ride, Liu Zhen wondered if he would see Lady Yalin on the train for the morning, or if she would come to her senses and abandon the Order in favor of a more appropriate social organization for the upper crust.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Victoria Wasserman

The former adventurer waited for the others to get on the train. First was the Serbian soldier and his companion, who looked Armenian. Victoria had heard what had happened in Armenia, and it was a crying shame, even if she did feel a small sense of foreboding whenever she thought about it.

Next was a Chinese, who seemed pleasant enough. Of all the places in the world Victoria had traveled to, China was one country she hadn't visited, and so she didn't know what to think of him, until he introduced himself.

Kowloon-California wrote:"Hello, my name is Liu Zhen, or you can call me Eric Liu if it is any easier. It is a pleasure to meet you both.

Victoria smiled. "It is a pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Liu. May I call you Mr. Liu? I apologize if it isn't polite."

It probably wasn't. This Mr. Liu seemed to be a lower-class man, much contrasting with another Chinese Victoria had seen in that room, who was a very proper lady. But Victoria Wasserman's great-grandfather had started from a working class background too. He was an immigrant from Poland—well, it was Russia then—of modest means. The Wasserman family had a lot of time to create a banking empire and get rich. But Victoria was still considered just middle class by the more genteel upper classes of Britain. And a lifetime of adventuring had rendered Victoria respectful of other cultures and polite to other people regardless of their color. Besides, you never knew when a moment of rudeness would backfire.
Last edited by Voxija on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am

Jesse Dredlen

Jesse was profoundly glad he hadn't gone for absinthe last night. The dull ache in his mind would probably disable a less experienced alcoholic, but to him, it was no more than a mild headache, an annoyance, surely, but not a hindrance. The loud sounds of a train station sent needles behind his eyes, but overall? It'd be hard to tell he'd had anything more than a beer the night before. He was dressed to the nines, as per usual, red suit over a black button up shirt, all topped with a bowler and complemented by a white tie. It was flashy, gaudy, and perhaps a tad tacky, but Jesse would have it no other way. He carried a suitcase containing most of what he'd brought to London, most importantly his revolver and cards, though his dice were firmly in his pocket.

He eyed the train with a sense of comfort; he certainly trusted it more than an automobile, or God forbid a plane. Those rattling deathtraps were something he intended to do his best to stay out of. A train, that was a vehicle a man could trust. Reliable, fast, and most importantly, on good terra firma. As he boarded the train, he made no attempt to get friendly with anyone, and indeed made an obvious attempt to sit as from the one eyed coward as he could. Taking a seat after stowing his luggage, he placed his hat on his lap and sat back, seeming deep in thought, though in reality, he was taking a break from thinking. He believed it irritated a headache like nothing else.
Pebis

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Aleyn Deyne - Paddington Station

After a night sleep at the cheap hotel that he stayed at and gotten a poor night's sleep. Aleyn walked to the station carrying a suitcase that contained his belongings that he brought with him to London. Taking a sip from his flask as he left the hotel. Aleyn have that nightmare again, the one where he could only watch as the beast murdered his family. It sent shivers down his spine as he tried to get it out of his head. He needs to be focused today and not be shaken by his nightmares. Not when he now has a chance to work with people that can help him get revenge.

Taking a sip out of his flask before getting his ticket from van der Valk. Stopping in place when he saw on the ticket how much it was. How could it be so expensive to ride first class? He thought getting to London from the Isle was expensive. Clearly he was wrong, and it would be the first time of him riding first class. That is a nice change for once, staying in first-class that is. Perhaps he can get some sleep or maybe talk with his fellow recruits. Either way, he has a way to spent time before reaching Truro.

Aleyn yawned as he boarded the train, taking note who boarded the train. The American Jesse seemed to be in deep and thought, and the Armenian was sleeping. Better not wake those two up, he thought as he found an empty seat. Victoria and Liu who were busy talking to each other. Well, better make myself comfortable, and with that thought. Aleyn took a seat, put his suitcase away, and leaned back in his chair. Closing his eyes and quieted his mind. He was not planning of falling to sleep, only resting for a time until they reach Truro. Though he might fall asleep if he let his conscience faded enough. Still, he kept his ear open to the people around him. Maybe caught a topic he was interested in and silently rested away.
Last edited by Theyra on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:21 am

Dragoslav Čarapić | Greetings

The Serbian nodded at Eric Liu, taking the Chinese man's hand and shaking it in turn as the latter introduced himself to everyone else in the train car. Everyone else who was still awake, anyway. The Armenian from last night was still fast asleep on the end of the car, curled up inside a scarlet blanket that looked like to be something that someone from the upper or upper middle class would probably use in the event that they fell into a silent slumber inside a train. There was this lady... no, two ladies, who were there. One seemed to be German judging from her surname of Wasserman, whilst the other was an Oriental, just like the man that had greeted him just now. Dragoslav couldn't tell which one of the nations of the far east did this woman come from, but he wagered a guess that she was probably Chinese, just like Mr. Liu here.

"Pleasure for me to meet you too, Mr. Liu. I'm Dragoslav. Dragoslav Čarapić." He shook Liu Zhen's hand, before biting at a biscuit that they had as part of the accomodation of their first class ticket. "You can in turn call me Drago if my name seems to be have too many syllables."

It was at this time that more people arrived in the train. In particular, it was Jesse and Aleyn... The first one seemed to avoid him like the plague. Good for him. Good for both of them, as it was quite clear from their incident last night that they would probably never got along, what with the latter's irreverent attitude towards those that returned from war with shell shock gripping their minds. Aleyn, however, was one he hadn't spoken to yet. Perhaps they will have the chance to speak sometime later...
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:26 pm

“Do you not think that there are things which you cannot understand, and yet which are; that some people see things that others cannot? But there are things old and new which must not be contemplate by men´s eyes, because they know -or think they know- some things which other men have told them. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.”

Chapter Two: The Gathering Darkness

Stonehenge, Wiltshire
12:00, Wednesday 11 December 1918

Co-written by Dyelli Beybi, Reverend Norv and New Udonia

As the group travelling by car left London the fog lifted and the air became noticeably clearer and more pleasant to breathe, though it was a bitterly cold day. Bare trees on either side of the road closed at the heavens.

Shortly before lunchtime the group passed a huge aerodrome, the massive shape of a parked Handley-Page bomber could be seen between the hangars and other buildings. Eleanor had chatted amiably throughout. She had a ready smile and generally seemed like quite a happy young woman, though perhaps a little naively enthusiastic at points. She grew more alert as the airfield came into view, sitting forward with ill concealed excitement.

The reason became clear as they passed it as there, in a field to their right appeared a ring of ancient standing limestone blocks, some of which had intact lintels linking them together. The car turned off the main road, pulling onto a side road that led to within a few yards of the henge. Here Jones pulled the vehicle over and switched off the engine, "Would anyone care to stretch their legs?" Eleanor suggested, "It is a bit cold, but I do love this spot. You can almost feel the ancient magic radiating from the stones. Have either of you ever experienced anything supernatural?"

The question caught Jean-Martin so much by surprise that he almost laughed. Experienced the supernatural? Eleanor asked it with in the same tone with which another woman might inquire whether Jean-Martin was fond of the opera. He clambered out of the car, grinning, followed, a few moments behind, by Eleanor.

The smile died on his lips. Jean-Martin leaned his head back to look up at the enormous blocks of stone, pitted by the elements and heavy with moss. They were old. Suddenly, now on this placid English meadow, he could feel that age: all those lifetimes of men, one after the other, piled up on top of each other in endless sequence: lost, unknowable, and yet present before him in these silent stones. Jean-Martin could feel his breath catch, and something clenched beneath his breastbone.

Eleanor was right. "Yes," Jean-Martin murmured. "You can feel it." He looked at Eleanor, met those brown eyes, and suddenly saw: there was no fear there. She has known about this her whole life, Jean-Martin realized. She must have.

Perhaps that was why Jean-Martin found himself speaking. "I was sixteen," he said quietly. "There was a mountain twenty miles from our estate. The Berbers said it was haunted by some ancient power. But there was a lion killing sheep, and I tracked it to that mountain, and went on alone when the groundskeepers would not."

"It mauled me." Unconsciously, Jean-Martin touched his thigh. "I crawled into a cave. There were paintings on the wall: ancient paintings, of men with spears hunting great horned animals among lush grasses where today there is only bare rock and dust." The doctor's eyes drifted, for a moment, to the henge. "I saw those paintings move. They were alive; they danced before my eyes. Then, suddenly, I knew I wasn't alone. I felt breath on the back of my neck, in the dark. It wasn't the breath of a living thing."

"When I woke up, I was in the hospital." Jean-Martin shook his head. "For twelve years, I have told myself that it was blood loss; delirium." His gaze moved back to Eleanor. "Today, I believe I can stop telling myself that." Jean-Martin smiled quietly. "That is a great gift you have given me, mademoiselle. I am grateful for it."

Eleanor had listened intently to the story. She didn't appear aghast or frightened; the reactions one might expect from a society woman. Rather, she cocked her head to one side, like an inquisitive bird, and Jean-Martin could almost see the cogs turning in her head as she tried to piece together the puzzle he had given her. The final compliment drew a flush of colour to her cheeks and she glanced away for a moment, seemingly at a loss for words.

A crow cawed somewhere in the distance, breaking the near-silence of the Henge. When she spoke, it was quietly, as if the story wasn't something she was used to sharing, "My father was in the Order before me," she began, "I was his only child and he never failed to have time for me. We were very close and I loved him dearly. When he passed away some years ago, I felt like my heart had been torn to pieces and I buried myself in the Order's library. Most people think I found the books a distraction from my grief, and they were, but it was more than that. The Order deals with all manner of evil thing, including many creatures of a demonic nature, who stalk this world for the ruin of souls. But if there is a demonic force, then there must also be a force for good, or else how would we know the difference? So I know I will see him again, in not such a very long time, against the eternal lifespan of the soul," she paused again before finally adding, "I think, Monsieur de Florac, that this has been a great gift for the both of us, though in slightly different ways."

Cowal, meanwhile had been listening to Jean-Martin's story with unease. At the mention of the phantom's breath his eyes narrowed as he studied the speaker's face. While there was no way to be absolutely certain, the lack of macabre details refuted the doubt that it was fabricated. Everyone he had told of his own experience, either didn't believe him, or had stories which were too crazy to believe. But is me own story too crazy by me own stendards?

Listening to Miss Martin's story, he was reminded of that same hopeful and optimistic soul which he had been proud to know, albeit briefly. Feeling that he was at least obligated to try to reiterate his own experience, he took a step forward, withdrawing his hand from his jacket's inner pocket. He stared at the photograph for several seconds before thrusting it forward towards his companions. "Pleyse be careful with it." Go ahed, say it.

"Thet was teken three weks ego. She sed, that I needed to remember her. I remember felling that was odd, cus the war had just ended and we hadn't heard of the disease yet." His eyes had drifted from face to face, as he spoke. "Two weks ego, she had asked me to wait outside her factory, till closing time. I never saw her face again. The manager told me that she hed died, two years ego, during the Easter Rebellion. For the next 'our, I ended up chesing after sometheng through the strets of Dublin, and it led me to her grave. I couldn't believe it, so I hed to find others who had sen her. They all remembered "my gerl." I was streggling, 'til I got your letta, miss."

"Fascinating," Eleanor took a long look at the photo, studying it with a concerned frown before stepping aside to allow Jean-Martin to, if he so wished, "That must have been terribly distressing. While we may not, at this point, know precisely what happened, from my reading on the subject, ghosts of this kind usually have a specific task they want their living agent to perform. I would imagine you completed it for her shortly before her disappearance."

How did I help her? The idea that he had helped a ghost find closure had never crossed Cowal's mind before. Nobody he had consulted back in Dublin had been so optimistic. Nonetheless, this theory was his favorite by far. Finally, a different point of view. "I had never thought of it 'at wey. I couldn't have imagined that Sibéal ment me any harm. Thank-you, miss."

Jean-Martin took the photograph. For a long moment, his gaze still rested on Eleanor. When she spoke of meeting her father again, he closed his eyes for a moment, and that enormous weariness moved across his face like a shadow. When he opened them, he handed the photograph back to Cowal.

"I think," Jean-Martin said quietly, "that we rarely understand what those we love truly need from us. Why people come into our lives. Why they go out again." He glanced at Eleanor, and then back at the Henge, but there was something unfocused in his blue-green gaze, as if he were looking through the stones at something a thousand yards away.

"But." The doctor turned once again to Cowal. "If Miss Martin is right, then you were able to give this girl what she needed from you - even if you didn't understand what it was, or why she needed it. You gave her what you could, and it was enough. Few men are so lucky." Jean-Martin nodded once. "There is some comfort in that, I hope."

Jean-Martin's insight surprised Cowal. How had he met these people? After his photo's return, he glanced at it longer than the first time; before returning it to his pocket. He raised his head, cracking a genuine smile. "Sir, I was beginning to fear that I hed hurt her, now I'm assured that I helped her, though I know not how."

"It gives me comfort to know that you two have both experienced the supernatural as more than an Academic exercise," Eleanor added, "I fear that, for all I know about it, the reality might cause me to freeze at an inopportune moment. I am just a librarian, after all... Now," she turned in the direction of the stones, "We probably have time to take a closer look if you like, then we should get moving again. Just take care if you go right into the ring. I understand some of the stones are a little unstable."

Jean-Martin smiled again at Eleanor, a little ruefully. "In my experience, there is rarely an opportune moment in which to freeze. But sooner or later, everyone freezes anyway." He pushed his hand into his overcoat pocket again, a little too forcefully. "On the first shell, or the hundredth. However many times you've seen it before." Jean-Martin looked directly into Eleanor's eyes. "The important thing is to have people with you when it happens: to do what you can't. And when their time comes, you will do the same for them." The doctor nodded once, firmly. "Neither of us has to do this alone." He glanced at Cowal, and chuckled quietly. "Even you don't, Mister Mulloy."

The winter wind blew cold on the back of Jean-Martin's neck: beckoning. He looked over his shoulder at the henge, and hesitated for a moment; then he squared his shoulders stubbornly, and nodded. "I'll be careful." The doctor picked his way through the field, and ducked beneath the titanic lintel of the stone circle, until he stood surrounded by the ancient stones and all the weight of time that they carried.

It was quiet here, quiet almost like it had been in the waiting room of the Four Horse Club. Jean-Martin took off his fedora, and the cold wind over the Salisbury Plain blew back his curly bronze hair from his forehead. He turned in a slow circle, studying the stones all around him, feeling somehow that they studied him back.

It had all been a blink of an eye for them, Jean-Martin thought: the Marne, the Somme, Verdun. All of it. To the stones, it was but a momentary flash of pain: inconsequentially submerged in the soft vastness of the millennia, finally to be forgotten as swiftly and inevitably as everything else that they had seen. For a moment, Jean-Martin thought, he understood the stones, and they understood him.

It made him happy.

He put his hat back on, and walked carefully back out of the stone circle to join Eleanor at the car. "Thank you," he said - and paused, as if he wished to say more. But in the end, Jean-Martin just smiled his rueful smile again. "And now, I believe, we have a butler to speak to."

Truro, Corwall
17:30, Wednesday 11 December 1918

The trip to Truro took just over four hours through what would have been very pleasant countryside if it wasn't so cold and gloomy outside. Cinders escaping from the train's chimney danced past the windows of the travelling compartments, settling on the edge of the track where they were extinguished on the cold, damp ground. It was overcast outside and the clouds seemed poised to open to unleash an unyielding barrage of sleet across the island, though they didn't. It wasn't quite cold enough for snow, though the situation might well change in the next few days.

The city itself seemed to have been built, in a large part, from 'Bath stone', though the weather along with the gloom of dusk made the sandy walls appear a dreary grey. Moss grew thick on many of the tiled roofs while smoke curled from the chimneys only to be swiftly swept away by the sea breeze.

Lodgings had been arranged at the Railway Inn, a mediocre establishment a stone's throw from the station, though one where everyone could stay in the same location without needing to split people across the town. There was good food and ale to be had, though nothing especially sophisticated and while the rooms were cold, the beds were warm, if not the softest in the country. Before anyone had a chance to do anything more than step over the threshold, they were approached by a short grey haired gentleman in a functional grey tweed suit under a dark overcoat and a bolar hat. He had a thick moustache and made an immediate bee-line for van der Valk, "Mister van der Valk, I assume?"

"Yah," van der Valk's eyebrows knitted together in a frown, "I do not believe we have been introduced?"

"Inspector Jago, Truro Police," the man held out a hand. The pair shook, "I had been expecting an unconventional group and looked for the person who appeared to be in charge," he explained.

"A pleasure," van der Valk intoned, "You were expecting unconventional animal experts?"

Jago chucked, "From the last time I had the misfortune of needing animal experts."

"Ah," van der Valk nodded.

"Is Miss von der Marwitz here?" Jago asked, turning to the group with eyebrows raised. Nobody answered and he turned back to van der Valk who shook his head, "Ah, that is unfortunate. I had hoped to offer her my commiserations on the death of her father. He was an exceptional man. I dread to think what might have happened the last time we had a similar incident in these parts."

"I will pass your commiserations on when I next have a chance to see her," van der Valk assured the Inspector, though before he had a chance to say anything else, Jago had turned to the rest of the group.

"While I am not going to interfere with what you need to do down here, I would like to invite you to the mortuary once you have your belongings stowed," he said to the group at large, "I have taken the liberty of telling Doctor Steele he can expect you shortly. Also... take a lantern. We never had gas lights on many of our streets and certainly haven't had the luxury of electric ones."

It was good advice. With the moon hidden behind the clouds, the walk to the hospital was treacherous at best. Van der Valk had packed a gas lantern, which through enough light ahead to allow people to avoid any piles of horse manure or slipping from the footpath and breaking an ankle in the gutter. A single antiquated gas lamp illuminated the door to the hospital and the brass plaque that marked the grey-stone large grey building apart from those to either side of it.

The reception area smelt strongly of chlorine based bleach although the bright electric lighting made a nice change from outside. There was nobody on the wooden benches in the room, though a young nurse wearing a white surgical mask was seated behind a reception counter that also seemed to be the front of a record room, with several bookcases covered in jumbled files extending into the gloom behind her. She stood up as the group entered, "You don't look sick with the flu. There are no visitors permitted at this time. Lord help us, enough poor souls have already been stricken with this disease -"

"We are not visitors ma'am, we are here to see Doctor Steele," van der Valk cut her off before she had a chance to go further.

"Oh..." the nurse replied, sounding, momentarily, like van der Valk had taken the wind out of her sails, "Well you'll need to go through and take the stairs down, though for pity's sake, put some masks on. There are infected on the ward... wait here, I'll bring some for you." She hurried out back only to return less than a minute later with a fistful of masks which she slapped down on the counter, "Put these on... and don't wander! I don't know how we'll cope if any more people come down with it."

The mortuary was down a flight of stairs directly behind the reception, in the basement of the hospital. It was not as well lit as the floor above and felt distinctly cold. The air carried a very faint smell of ammonia under the ever-present odour of chlorine bleach. The room was tiled on the floor and walls, with a single autopsy table in the centre and what appeared to be a wall of trays for refrigerated corpses at the far end - a relatively modern development. There was instantly, a problem with the story of an animal attack - unless the animal was able to operate a door handle there was no way into the room, and it would have needed to either wander through the wards or past the reception area to get in and out. Also, and somewhat annoyingly for anyone wanting to examine the crime scene, the room had been thoroughly cleaned down following the incident.

The only other piece of furniture in the room was a desk at which was seated a remarkably young looking Doctor with a shock of thin dark hair and round reading spectacles. He looked up from what he was writing as the noise of the living disturbed him from his work, "Ah... you must be the animal experts the Inspector sent," he looked over the group, with a slight frown of uncertainty, his brows drawing together above the face mask he was wearing, though van der Valk's decision nod seemed to be enough to appease his worries and he stood, "I am Doctor Hugo Steele, you will pardon me for not offering my hand, we are dealing with a most unpleasant contagion in this hospital. What can I do to assist?"

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Rémy Battier

The journey to Truro was thankfully pleasant and rather normal for a supposed band of monster hunters, but, he wasn't expecting anything different, after all, the train was the most reliable source of travel since Rémy was but a little boy, ah, all these years ago, growing up in the French countryside.

The city was interesting, so different from Paris, or London, or any other city Rémy has seen, he was not expecting it to have little of the luxuries of the modern world otherwise known as gaslights, and the architecture, most of it appeared to be of, bathstone?

Unfortunately, the crippled Frenchman struggled with keeping up with the group in the hospital, while before he needed to be on the far end of it, now he had also needed to deal with the worrisome mask, he could never imagine such a thing would be needed for the future outside of hospitals, and he truly hoped he would not have to see one on the streets in broad daylight.

"Oui, Monsieur Steele, I have some questions, as well as concerns"

The detective managed to speak while catching up with the group

"Has the body been autopsied yet?, and if so, could we have access to the autopsy file? And we will, of course, need access to the hospital's construction plans if such exist, and search the structure of the room, perhaps there is an opening which would allow an animal to pass, I will also need to examine every nook and cranny of the room, if possible"
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:16 am

Steele looked tired. He pushed his spectacles up the bridge of his nose, positioning them more comfortably then shook his head, "We had a cursory look, but there was no time to conduct a full autopsy. You are probably unaware, since the news had been censored to avoid wartime panic, but this flu we are wrestling with is the worst in recent memory. People are saying this is like the cholera outbreak of 1866, but it's everywhere, not just London. We know the cause of death for poor Doctor Sutherland and we don't have time to do anything more than is strictly necessary. You haven't been on the wards, but they are overflowing."

"I don't have any plans," he added, addressing the second question, "There might be some in the records room behind reception. I couldn't tell you with certainty, it isn't something I have ever had cause to look for. I can tell you, however, that there is no way for an animal to get in here without human assistance. For a start, look at the room; the only way in and out is through that door." there were three solid concrete walls, with one door and the refrigeration unit. There was not even a window in the morgue, "On top of which, this hospital was built 70 years ago and these refrigeration units -" he waved at the bank of beige enamelled units set into the far wall, "- were only put in in 1901. Prior to that this room would have been host to all manner of unpleasant smell and while you do not get foxes in the town, you get rooks, crows, jackdaws, all manner of gull and even the odd raven, all of whom would have been drawn to the feast the hospital had laid out for them, if they could get in."

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Victoria Wasserman

The train ride was, on the whole, pleasant. Victoria had an interesting conversation with Mr. Liu, but the Serbian kept looking at her strangely. Maybe it was her clothes, or maybe the Serb was a Jew-hater. No, he had served in the War, and Victoria's last name was Wasserman. Victoria almost laughed out loud.

Truro was a beautiful city but rather small and dreary. Victoria saw beauty in dreary things. Inspector Jago started talking to Van der Valk, but Victoria stopped listening when she heard the inspector mention Eleanor... von der Marwitz? And her father died? That was sad. Victoria didn't know what she would do if her father died. And old Isaac Wasserman was getting on in years... But that didn't fascinate Victoria as much as the surname Von der Marwitz. German? Old, established, noble German?

Victoria spent the walk to the hospital pondering Eleanor's family background. She almost stepped in manure twice, but Victoria had quick reflexes. All thoughts stopped wandering when she reached the hospital, however. The entirety of Victoria's mind was focused on the case.

Victoria put on the mask. She wondered if she was supposed to be unable to breathe in it, but she could breathe just fine. Victoria walked into the mortuary, looking for scratch marks or anything of that ilk. It smelled bad, but Victoria had smelled worse in her adventures, and the mask helped a lot.

Kowloon-California
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kowloon-California » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 am

Liu Zhen

The train ride to Truro was passed mostly uneventfully. Liu Zhen enjoyed some decent conversation with Ms. Wasserman, and learned a thing or two about her travels through the near east. The ride was long, and he too soon drifted into a short sleep as he pondered adventuring the world. The privilege afforded to the citizens of the mightiest empire in the world was the freedom to choose your own destiny, and he imagined that if he had been able to hear such tales when he was a child, it was likely that he would have tried to set off as an adventurer instead of living a normal life.

In the end, not that it mattered, for here he was in a little dreary British village of Truro. As the company arrived, and followed the local contact, Inspector Jago, to the hospital, Liu Zhen's thoughts were immediately drawn to just how quiet the place was, and how quickly the night came to engulf the little remaining embers of light that had permeated through the clouds. Cold, smelly, and wet. He wondered perhaps if many of this town's men had also gone to war, never to return. In China, even the quietest of villages were still bustling bustling with life as people cooked dinner, children played loudly, or simply enjoyed a game of mahjong with some rice wine.

Truro, much like many other places in the world now, was silenced by an air of despair. Liu Zhen breathed into his hands to try and fight off the ominous cold.

The situation at the local hospital only confirmed his thoughts, and Liu Zhen had to force down an instinct to recoil at the harsh smell of chlorine and other disinfectant chemicals. During the war, this was what body recovery service smelled like, and they would often use it by the barrel in order to stave off disease brought on by the rot of thousands of men. The war was over, but the dying wasn't.

As the others jumped to investigating the cause of the attack, Liu Zhen took a step back and tried to come up with answers of his own. There were some clear leads to be followed regarding the killings, the autopsy among them. Yet the mysterious circumstances of the doctor's death were too perplexing in every way. During his time as an officer policing Shanghai's international business districts, the cases were always fairly clear cut in that humans were predictable, with motivations that were only ever a variation on a theme.

This was something new, something which made Liu Zhen's blood turn cold. He volunteered his own question to Mr. Van der Valk.

"Excuse me if this might seem uneducated, but this man was killed by something which ripped him apart like an animal, and somehow did so by penetrating the interior of this hospital? I know I am still a novice to the art of monster hunting, but have you ever encountered . . . say, anything like ghosts which can go through walls, records of prior cases perhaps? I'm sorry if this seems too wild, but I am trying my best to break my old thought habits when it comes to something new like this. Let's first try and rule out the possibility that something could have found it's way inside, as well as confirm the cause of death, but nothing about this seems right."

Liu Zhen said this in a low whisper to try and not alarm Steele. He knew that the supernatural wasn't exactly common knowledge, and the last thing he wanted to do was to come off as a lunatic and be strapped down to his own bed inside the hospital.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 am

Nightmare in Truro Street

The train to Truro passed on rather uneventfully, and for an international group of paranormal investigators, that was saying something. They were, after all, a diverse bunch of people that came from as far east as Japan and
as far west as the United States. To top it off, there was almost a brawl last night, thanks in no small part to the mocking attitude of the American called Jesse towards those that have been shell shocked by the brutality of the war. The traumatized one eyed Serbian that was sitting on the other end of the train car had been remarkably quiet as well. The two agitators obviously did their best to maintain their distance from each other. Narek drifted in and out of his sleep, but he didn't move. Not an inch.

When they arrived on site, Narek had been poring over a book that he had just purchased on the way home the night before: a list of folklore creatures endemic to Great Britain. Perhaps Cornwall or Truro had its own strange legend, and though it may seem like a far fetch, it is possible that since they were dealing with the supernatural, the possibility of some strange legendary creature being the culprit of this grisly murder was not completely out of the realms of realism.

The hospital bore a very familiar smell. Narek had known the stench of rotten bodies back in his homeland, and he had smelt the odor of disinfectants in the hospitals of London for quite a while.

The Armenian though quietly, of course. Everything revolving the death of that poor doctor was strange in every level.

Then the Chinese man whispered something to the Dutch man that led them. It was private, of course, so no one really heard it as well as Mr. Van Der Valk.

After a moment of thought, he spoke up as well. "Either someone got a very obedient pet of theirs to maul the poor doctor here... or we are looking at someone... something that is beyond the scope of what we could consider a normal investigation... I can tell that since we are here."

As that went on, Dragoslav was quiet, as always. He somewhat stuck closer to Dr. Jean-Martin; probably because the latter had stood up for the broken soldier the night before. Either way, he observed with an eerie silence.

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:54 am

Jesse Dredlen

This didn’t seem supernatural. It seemed like a maniac with a flair for knife work or a couple handy meat hooks had wandered into the hospital at a bad time for the good doctor. Sure, it was an odd case, but there were some sick men, and not only from the flu. Still, if the spooks had been called in, something must have been off. Maybe seeing the body would enlighten him as to why the police weren’t handling this.

He was glad he’d put on the mask; it did well at hiding the skeptic smirk on his face. He decided to entertain the idea of the supernatural; he knew a little voodoo lore, enough at least to be familiar with the idea of spirits, though he’d never believed enough to go any deeper. Still, a spirit pissed enough to rip a man to shreds had to be damn pissed. He took his hat in hand, now actually deep in thought, not just nursing a hangover. He didn’t bother speaking up; he didn’t have much to say, unless his companions wanted to listen to a gambler ramble about bayou voodoo.
Pebis

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Aleyn Deyne

Aleyn had a good time on the train. No one bothered him, so he enjoyed a nice rest. He did not plan on falling asleep, but it was something he needed after his bad night's sleep. Missing a chance to speak with his fellow investigators and something he plans on doing in the future when he gets a chance. Better to learn more about his new associates sooner or later. And he was surprised how diverse the group that Mr. Van Der Valk had put together. Showing him the reach of the Order and how they were open about who to invite to join them.

Taking a sip from his flask just before they entered the hospital. Aleyn had smartly taken one of them and put it on. Sparing him from the full smell of the hospital. However, the familiar smell of dead bodies when they reach the morgue hit him like he was standing next to him. It was so much the smell but the memory that it triggered about the war. Causing him to make a quick shake and resisted the urge to took a mouthful from his flask. Not here, not now, he thought as his eyes moved away from where he kept his flask.

Aleyn stay silent as the others ask questions as he made up his own thoughts about the case. Since the Order has sent them here, it had to be supernatural but, why would one come here to carve someone up. Surely there were more lesser populated places to do that. Unless it had a reason to come to the hospital and kill this man. But, how did it get through the hospital without anyone noticing it? Aleyn lightly sighed at the questions in his mind about this. He should have done some reseach in hindsight while on the train to maybe get an idea of what could have done this but, how much would that help him. Aleyn can't even identify what killed his family after months of research. So trying to find out what supernatural did this... well, he is not alone this time.

Speaking up, "so did anyone noticed anything off or something odd the day or night of the attack? Just anything that could lead us to what did this".

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse