NATION

PASSWORD

Into the Rift (Fantasy, Reverse Isekai, OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Rupudska wrote:There is a Standard Common, and it is very vaguely intelligible with the Scandinavian languages. Eyran is the bastard child of Scots and Irish Gaelic, Goblish is like Welsh, but even more unintelligible to non-Welsh, and Ayravarsan is pretty much just Sanskrit left in a bottle of Scots in the sun on a hot day. A really shitty one that leaches bottle-taste into the drink if you so much as think of looking away from it.

Oh. Oh. That’s very interesting indeed. Given the region, it might be the case the first locals we can at least pass off a few words to is some kind of tourist.

With a lot of luck, it might even be a student from a school I used to go to. :p

On an unrelated note, I’d appreciate a review of my revised application.
Last edited by Plzen on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:01 am

Plzen wrote:
Rupudska wrote:There is a Standard Common, and it is very vaguely intelligible with the Scandinavian languages. Eyran is the bastard child of Scots and Irish Gaelic, Goblish is like Welsh, but even more unintelligible to non-Welsh, and Ayravarsan is pretty much just Sanskrit left in a bottle of Scots in the sun on a hot day. A really shitty one that leaches bottle-taste into the drink if you so much as think of looking away from it.

Oh. Oh. That’s very interesting indeed. Given the region, it might be the case the first locals we can at least pass off a few words to is some kind of tourist.

With a lot of luck, it might even be a student from a school I used to go to. :p

On an unrelated note, I’d appreciate a review of my revised application. I decided to go with an enchanted self-engraving plate as a camera-alternative, something that captures a visual impression - including all the tricks a mind plays on what it sees - instead of a photorealistic image.

I feel like your chara is better off sketching. :/
Last edited by Wolfenium on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:04 am

Ameriganastan wrote:So how would one play one of these dryads? Sounds like bringing one along would be a hindrance.

Still waiting for an answer here...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:00 am

Wolfenium wrote:I feel like your chara is better off sketching. :/

Ah, alright. That does seem to be the consensus. Revised as recommended.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 am

Plzen wrote:
Rupudska wrote:On an unrelated note, I’d appreciate a review of my revised application.

You're good now.

Maybe now I can finally get to work on my own app.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 am

Rupudska wrote:
Plzen wrote:OP, what does the language situation look like in this world? Is there a Standard Common like there is in some other generic fantasy settings (and if so, is it mutually intelligible with any language on Earth?) or are there language divides driven by genetic, cultural, political boundaries?

There is a Standard Common, and it is very vaguely intelligible with the Scandinavian languages. Eyran is the bastard child of Scots and Irish Gaelic, Goblish is like Welsh, but even more unintelligible to non-Welsh, and Ayravarsan is pretty much just Sanskrit left in a bottle of Scots in the sun on a hot day. A really shitty one that leaches bottle-taste into the drink if you so much as think of looking away from it.

Just to add, Skuite is like Norn (Norse language used in the isles of Scotland), and maybe Manx or Shetland Scots for communications with the outside world. Lizardfolk speak is like Nahua-Maya-Quechua, dwarven resembles Slavic, and Celestials use completely intelligible Ancient Greek, which is unintelligible anyway. Naraka uses Mandarin, including its various dialects, but with Sanskrit loanwords.
Last edited by Wolfenium on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:So how would one play one of these dryads? Sounds like bringing one along would be a hindrance.

Still waiting for an answer here...

Like so. WIP.

(AGRIPPA, N. S.)

+++Name: Nypmhodora Sidonia Agrippa
+++Age: 107
+++Gender: F
+++Species: Dryad
+++Physical appearance: 2 meters tall, and that's not counting the antlers so she's that tall in human form too. In human form, to use Lokish terms, she looks vaguely Ethiopian, with short ears of only slightly above average length for humans. In dryad form, her ears are nearly 10 cm long, and her antlers are nearly 30 cm. Her skin is a strong tan with a slight pinkish tin, with ashy grey "bark" on her forearms, shoulders, and shins. Her hands and feet are the same color, but the "bark" is much thinner, and absent entirely on the palms and underside of her fingers. Like most dryads, her digits end in sharp claws, and her feet are tridactyl with two digits in front and one in back.

+++Ethnicity: Sugar maple
+++Religion: Druidic animism, like most dryads. Gods tend to frown on atheists and agnostics in worlds where gods are very real.
+++Birthplace: The Foloipea forest, northwest of the ruins of the ancient Remmas Empire's capital.

+++Abilities: In terms of both magical power and variety, Dora is pretty average for a dryad mage. The typical plant-manipulating magics, animal handling, alteration magic, and (more limited) command of the winds, waters, and earth are all there. The only really unusual things are some more illusion magics than normal. Apart from the illusion craft, none of her spells require a book unless she intends to do a lot with them.
+++Skills: Dora is first and foremost a scholar. Of ancient cultures, of course, but that's to be expected considering her home forest is littered with the bones of the giants whose shoulders the modern collegiate city of Rem stands upon. Of languages, as she speaks fluent Common, Eyran, Ayravarsan, Skuite, Celestial, and Dwarvish. Of plants and to a lesser extent animals, though that may simply be an intrinsic skill than any thing learned - though she does try. She is a natural with ranged weapons, preferring the crossbow instead of the usual longbow of most dryads, and the handaxe instead of the spear, club, or bare hands - though she is more than capable of fighting unarmed.
+++Equipment:
  • 200-page notebook, blank
  • 250-page sketchbook, blank
  • Illusion spellbook
  • Dip pen with Everlasting* inkwell, good for up to one month's worth of use
  • Black walnut crossbow
  • Hip-mounted crossbow quiver, 10 bolts
  • Dwarven steel handaxe
  • 2x sealed dryad rations, dried venison, dried apple slices, and hazelnuts
  • Deerskin satchel enchanted to have double visible capacity
  • Sugar maple bonsai tree in Alveglass and dwarven steel box - Alveglass is permeable only to gentle breezes, light, and water. The box opens from the bottom.
  • Small bonsai tree care kit
  • Leather armor set, unenchanted, consisting of a mix of deer, wolf, boar, and bearskin

+++Analysis: (Personality)
+++Occupation: (If any, besides scholar and/or murderhobo)
+++Biography:
+++RP Sample: (If I know you, then you know that I know you. Feel free to insult me, if you have known me for a while)
#IntoTheBeyond (DO NOT REMOVE)
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

(ANGELINA, M.)

+++Name: Myrrha Angelina (Celestial script, right to left): Image; Olympian (Greek) script: Μύρρᾱ Άγγελίνα)
+++Age: 28
+++Gender: Female
+++Species: Human
+++Physical appearance: Height: 168cm; Weight: 58kg
+++Identifying Marks: None

+++Ethnicity: Otavan
+++Religion: Astralite/Celestial worship
+++Birthplace: Aretia, Otava
+++Criminal History: None
+++Military History: Participated in the final campaign against Naraka, for a lack of a better word. Largely relegated to rear-line duty in the triages, Myrrha is used to seeing injuries, just not as they are being inflicted.

+++Abilities: Light magic, such as healing, barrier casting and undead smiting. Effective against demons and other dark magic users and constructs, but not a whole lot useful against anything else.
+++Skills:
- First aider: Having served in the triage, Myrrha does know how to perform basic first aid.
- Master beautician: Having taught herself to concoct potions equivalent to anti-ageing cream and other beauty products in Lok.
+++Code Name: -

+++Analysis: Kind, gentle, and eager to serve, protect and help the less fortunate, Myrrha is the archetypal priestess of any fantasy story. While slightly vain due to her fervent study of beauty enhancement, Myrrha is not known to exhibit any real vices by usual standards. However, her rigid church teachings and fanatical views on non-Astralites as 'unbelievers in need of enlightenment' had come off as heavily abrasive. While years of offence against non-Astralites for trying to convert them had taught her to restrain her views and seek a better understanding with non-believers, her uncompromising zeal may prove too much for her to hold back, sometimes reacting in an uncharacteristic rage when faced with outright blasphemy.

Unusually, and in sharp contrast to most of her peers, Myrrha does not consider demons beyond redemption. Of course, that, in itself, is no consolation, as her 'solution' to reintegrating them into Epithymian society is no different from her approach to all other non-believers.
+++Occupation: Priestess
+++Biography: A princess from the long-defunct kingdom of Agrys, Myrrha had never known the homeland that Naraka overran in her ancestors' lifetime. Instead, she had spent her entire life in Otava, in the presence of private tutors in her manor, as well as the massive seminaries of the Astralite Church. Like many others in Astralism, Myrrha was brought up under the tenets of virtue passed down by the Celestials of Mu (her family even going as far as changing their surnames from 'Agrys' to 'Angelos'), and devoted herself to the ongoing war against Naraka, and the spread of Astralite teachings to the denizens of Epithymia. When the time came for the final push into Naraka's capital, however, she was often kept in rear-line duties as a healer by her Celestial and clerical superiors, ostensibly due to her lack of experience in combat. However, second-in-line after her paladin brother and heir, Oktaviana Angelos, she was rumoured to have been kept off the battlefront as a backup in case of his untimely demise, and the potential loss of hereditary claims to Agrys' lands. Fortunately, her brother survived the campaign, and was thus being prepped to reclaim his throne as Otava's (and by extension, Mu's) vassal. Myrrha, in contrast, was no longer as useful in the grand scheme of things, perhaps even detrimental to the succession due to her eligibility for marriage. When the gate to Lok was finally reopened, the priestess wholeheartedly accepted the assignment to join the expedition, eager for the chance to slay the exiled Demon Lord and put an end to her malice once and for all.

While coming across as naive or even deluded, Myrrha was not blind to the political machinations surrounding her family and other royals expelled by the Narakan invasion. However, uninterested in governance and preferring to devote herself to church and charity, she preferred to bury herself in hospital and clerical work. Moreover, contact with the heathens had left her increasingly torn over her church teachings and Celestial infallibility. That a good few allies had been irked by her maternalistic views (an eerily common occurrence between Otavans and their Alliance partners) was already a huge sign to her. Regardless, she remains dedicated to helping her fellows, and tries as much as possible not to impose her views or proselytize. In the deeply religious society of Lok in their immediate vicinity, such restraint would be even more important.
+++RP Sample: No.
Last edited by Wolfenium on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:12 am, edited 21 times in total.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:27 am

So basically a non-comedy version of the purple haired girl from Ghost Stories's English dub? Works for me.

I think we have enough apps now to start work on the IC.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:39 am

Rupudska wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Still waiting for an answer here...

Like so. WIP.

(AGRIPPA, N. S.)

+++Name: Nypmhodora Sidonia Agrippa
+++Age: 107
+++Gender: F
+++Species: Dryad
+++Physical appearance: 2 meters tall, and that's not counting the antlers so she's that tall in human form too. In human form, to use Lokish terms, she looks vaguely Ethiopian, with short ears of only slightly above average length for humans. In dryad form, her ears are nearly 10 cm long, and her antlers are nearly 30 cm. Her skin is a strong tan with a slight pinkish tin, with ashy grey "bark" on her forearms, shoulders, and shins. Her hands and feet are the same color, but the "bark" is much thinner, and absent entirely on the palms and underside of her fingers. Like most dryads, her digits end in sharp claws, and her feet are tridactyl with two digits in front and one in back.

+++Ethnicity: Sugar maple
+++Religion: Druidic animism, like most dryads. Gods tend to frown on atheists and agnostics in worlds where gods are very real.
+++Birthplace: The Foloipea forest, northwest of the ruins of the ancient Remmas Empire's capital.

+++Abilities: In terms of both magical power and variety, Dora is pretty average for a dryad mage. The typical plant-manipulating magics, animal handling, alteration magic, and (more limited) command of the winds, waters, and earth are all there. The only really unusual things are some more illusion magics than normal. Apart from the illusion craft, none of her spells require a book unless she intends to do a lot with them.
+++Skills: Dora is first and foremost a scholar. Of ancient cultures, of course, but that's to be expected considering her home forest is littered with the bones of the giants whose shoulders the modern collegiate city of Rem stands upon. Of languages, as she speaks fluent Common, Eyran, Ayravarsan, Skuite, Celestial, and Dwarvish. Of plants and to a lesser extent animals, though that may simply be an intrinsic skill than any thing learned - though she does try. She is a natural with ranged weapons, preferring the crossbow instead of the usual longbow of most dryads, and the handaxe instead of the spear, club, or bare hands - though she is more than capable of fighting unarmed.
+++Equipment:
  • 200-page notebook, blank
  • 250-page sketchbook, blank
  • Illusion spellbook
  • Dip pen with Everlasting* inkwell, good for up to one month's worth of use
  • Black walnut crossbow
  • Hip-mounted crossbow quiver, 10 bolts
  • Dwarven steel handaxe
  • 2x sealed dryad rations, dried venison, dried apple slices, and hazelnuts
  • Deerskin satchel enchanted to have double visible capacity
  • Sugar maple bonsai tree in Alveglass and dwarven steel box - Alveglass is permeable only to gentle breezes, light, and water. The box opens from the bottom.
  • Small bonsai tree care kit
  • Leather armor set, unenchanted, consisting of a mix of deer, wolf, boar, and bearskin

+++Analysis: (Personality)
+++Occupation: (If any, besides scholar and/or murderhobo)
+++Biography:
+++RP Sample: (If I know you, then you know that I know you. Feel free to insult me, if you have known me for a while)

...Eh, too complicated. I'll just be a Dwarf.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 am

ALEFURY, T.

+++Name: Thodur Alefury
+++Age: 93
+++Gender: Male
+++Species: Dwarf
+++Physical appearance: 4 foot 2, 163 pounds.

+++Ethnicity: (Not all species have one!)
+++Religion: Aleyarin. Worshipers of Aleyar, the God of mead and saint of taverns and bars.
+++Birthplace: The city of Kirn Todihr, in the western Fjords.

+++Abilities: The power of booze: As a devoted follower of Aleyar, Thodur gains his deity's blessing when he takes a swig of his Battle-Brew. Gaining a temporary but impressive boost to his physical strength and endurance.
+++Skills: Master brewer. Can craft a drinkable liquor out of damn near any ingredient. Also quite handy with his weapons, his spiked hammer Headpiercer and his hand-ax, Throat-Slitter.
+++Equipment: His weapons, armor and a backpack full of liquor. Both for recreational sipping and battle.

+++Analysis: Tries to act like a typical gruff Dwarf, but is actually quite genial and a bit softhearted...of course if you call him that to his face, you'll probably end up with a shattered knee.
+++Occupation: 6th generation brewmaster of the Alefury clan.
+++Biography: The Alefury clan of Kirn Todihr. Creators of potent liquor sold all over Epithymia. From the easy to sip 'Dragon's Whisker' to the illegal to sell unless you sign a waiver freeing them from any legal blame 'Devil's Asshole', they know their booze. Thodur Alefury is the latest brewmaster of the clan, happy to brew his concoctions from the clan brewery and not really caring for the politics of his own people, let alone other races. But word reached even the remote Western Fjords of the journey into this mysterious rift. Kirn Todihr had been largely spared during the war, but a stronger army returning would certainly put his home (And more importantly his brewery) in danger. And besides, a whole new world meant a whole new world of ingredient for his wares. So gathering his supplies and leaving running the brewery to his brother, Thodur set off to join this little journey.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm

That is the dumbest idea so far, so of course it's ACCEPTED.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm

Rupudska wrote:That is the dumbest idea so far, so of course it's ACCEPTED.

Yay.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:50 pm

You mean, it’s a beautiful idea. :p

It’s intriguing seeing a character with a less-than-obvious motive for joining. Truly, a brewer’s artistic journey towards the perfect cup of liquor knows no bounds.
Last edited by Plzen on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Plzen wrote:

You mean, it’s a beautiful idea. :p

It’s intriguing seeing a character with a less-than-obvious motive for joining. Truly, a brewer’s artistic journey towards the perfect cup of liquor knows no bounds.

He's not going to like where we're going thou. It's not the driest of places, nor the place with the absolute worst brewing culture. But there isn't much of a brewing tradition in Thailand that isn't imported from established inebrated civilizations elsewhere in Eurasia, and the Malay Muslim population outright forbids consumption.

There's also weird pro-sobriety ads like these.
Last edited by Wolfenium on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 am

Last edited by Wolfenium on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 am

Ah. I had almost forgotten about this. Hopefully people are still interested.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm

Plzen wrote:Ah. I had almost forgotten about this. Hopefully people are still interested.

Yea, Rup pretty much decided to just let me run the show... :/
Last edited by Wolfenium on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse