NATION

PASSWORD

Land of The Free: American Political Roleplay (OOC IV)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
New Cobastheia wrote:I know, still just kind of seemed a predetermined story to me, maybe not via Biden's VP, but still kind of seemed like she was always going to aim and get to higher office one way or the other even back then

The real interesting thing will be who Newsom appoints to succeed Harris if she wins, from 2021 to 2022.

I hope its a Hispanic like Durazo but I feel like it might be Padilla or Bacerra though both were only recently elected to their own positions of course.

Probably Padilla, or Bacerra... either would be disappointing.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:LA elected Democrats until only recently tho

I want her to have been elected since the 80's or 90's to be a senior GOP senator

Just have her pull a Richard Shelby

fair enough, I'll choose between Alabama or Louisiana
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:Both our DNC and our RNC aren't working, there's no real logistics to actually boost downballot elections. The kicker for Lilyana right now is that it's the GOP taking all the punches.

:unsure:

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Bruke wrote:
Gordano and Lysandus wrote:Both our DNC and our RNC aren't working, there's no real logistics to actually boost downballot elections. The kicker for Lilyana right now is that it's the GOP taking all the punches.

I would step in to try to fix one of them but I literally have too much on my plate and I'm trying not to go full Xath.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Being the DNC Chair sounds like it could be interesting but at the same time I kind of want my next character to be for the Texas Senate election

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Bruke wrote:

I would step in to try to fix one of them but I literally have too much on my plate and I'm trying not to go full Xath.

oh, no, no one wants you take on more for your plate, you have a full buffet already.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Okay, fixed this potential idea for realism per Kelvi's suggestion

Character Information Sheet

Character Name: Clementine Redmond
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 85
Height: 5 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 146 lbs.
Character Position/Role: Senior Senator from Alabama (1980 - Present), Republican Policy Committee Chairwoman (2014 - Present), Representative for Alabama's 3rd Congressional District (1975 - 1980)
Character State of Origin: Alabama
Character State of Residence: Alabama
Character Party Affiliation: Republican (1988 - Present), Democrat (1952 - 1988)

Character Strengths
Well respected and enjoys strong approval ratings in Alabama; Favorite among the Christian Right; Supporter of President Wolf; Family connections across the South; Widespread suburban women and evangelical support; Safe seat in Alabama

Character Weaknesses:
Often the "boogie-woman" of liberals for her religious views; Hypocritical in some of her stances and views; Past political stances and statements stand to hurt her; Outwardly partisan; Family history can be a bit troublesome; Puts party over principle; Southern apologist; Dislikes social justice and progressives; Older age inhibits her; Definition of a career politician; Mildly unpopular in her own state

Biography
Clementine was born in a rural part of Alabama, living a rather tranquil early childhood life with her family. The Wendolyn clan owned quite a fair bit of land in the area and thus they were often welcomed in the local community. In fact, the Wendolyn's had lived in this part of central Alabama for generations, from the very beginnings of the state. This of course also meant that the family were former slave owners and the childhood home of Clementine was a former classic Southern estate mansion. While hardly controversial in the state, this would become a controversy for her father's later years in the Senate and her own tenure. Her father was a patron of the arts as one of the few wealthy men in the county and in central Alabama as a whole. Though most of his wealth came from managing the land and profitable investments in the booming towns of Beaumont, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia, he remained rooted in his own part of the state and often rubbed elbows with a number of high-profile politicians. Thus Clementine was exposed to the ways of political influence quite early and grew up with it. Her mother on the other hand often did not like these political guests and was a more shy person, leading overall to numerous conflicts between the young girl and her mother.

As she attended school, she fortified her political beliefs as a more conservative student. This led to a great deal of espousing to the Southern Democratic cause and eventually she attended the University of Alabama to study business and law. Clementine returned to Alabama for about two years following her college experience to support her father's new bid for the 3rd U.S. Congressional District, this time with a husband, Stuart Redmond. The pair intended to marry once the elder Wendolyn finished his campaign, and when that finally happened in late nineteen fifty-four, a celebration ensued. Clementine's father was now a Washington man and would go on to eventually be elected U.S. Senator in nineteen sixty-two as one of the last Democrats to represent Alabama until his daughter succeed him. Likewise, Clementine married Stuart and become a Redmond, moving to the southern part of the state to his own family home. Once her family began traveling between Mississippi and D.C., she left the family home and returned to law school at U of A. There, the astute woman continued to fall in love with her charming and well-connected husband, joining his family in maintaining a number of buildings and land in and around Montgomery. They enjoyed their company and their families knew each other slightly, leading to an encouraged pairing from both of their respective mothers after they married and continuing after they had four children.

The pair returned the Wendolyn mansion following a few years and once both were graduated, they decided to permanently make their new home there. The pair also began managing two homes, being a few inherited properties in Montgomery's historic neighborhoods as well as the Redmond's family estate near the coast. They remained prosperous throughout their lives, donating to a number of political causes and building deep political roots with Mississippi's political & evangelical class. Both never did aspire to political office, despite the Wendolyn family tradition to seek election, and Clementine went on to a fairly successful legal career as a financial and corporate attorney for a number of local businesses in the state as well as for larger companies in the South, particularly in larger cities in Texas, South Carolina, and Georgia. Stuart, on the other hand, became a contract lawyer and oversaw lots of both private and public business in his tenure. They eventually began to attend a number of events for the upper class and wealthy of Mississippi and Alabama, gaining a reputation as a down to earth and enjoyable pair to be around with, despite their increasingly religious values and political views. This was mostly caused by Clementine's novel interest in a number of popular pastors and orators in the evangelical scene, often being a financial patron to them and offering them political opportunities through her father.

Eventually, in the late seventies, a vacant seat in the 3rd U.S. Congressional District provided a unique opportunity for the Redmond's. On one hand, Stuart did not want anything to do with Washington and enjoyed the observer role in politics instead. And his fundraising and donations also helped him actively influence state policies. But Clementine had slowly become more radicalized by the Christian right across the state and with Ronald Reagan providing a newfound world view for her, of the West against the radical liberal changes in the nation, she found herself exploring the opportunity to run in the primary. After a bit of a discussion turned brief fight between herself and Stuart, it was decided that given their children off to college and gone, it would perhaps be a good thing for Clementine to switch up her career. Maybe it was a bit of a midlife crisis but nonetheless, with the support of her father, she filed for the primary election. And with the name recognition that came from being the daughter of Alabama's U.S. Senator, she handily won the race and went on to join the congressional delegation. During her time in the House, she became an ardent defender of unborn lives, targeted welfare abuse, supported early efforts for I.D. laws, and sought to expand U.S. foreign engagements.

By nineteen seventy-nine, her father had begun to suffer from an aggressive form of cancer and soon was diagnosed with metastatic cancer. This revelation led to questions about whether the elder Wendolyn would run for office or even continue serving. The answer came in later that year, when he announced his decision to retire from office, leading to a need for an appointment to replace him for a brief one year term. The then-Governor of Mississippi was immediately forced to make a decision as the leader of the state, with pressure to appoint a strong successor for Wendolyn and his values, with closed door meetings arguing between a number of candidates. Eventually, after a number of influential conversations between local Christian groups, pastors, and a plea by allies of Clementine, she was appointed December thirty first to finish the rest of the term. Her tenure in the Senate has been similar to her House reputation, supporting anti-Roe v. Wade legislation and pass national abortion limits, while also supporting relaxation of adoption procedures. Likewise, Redmond has advocated for gun bills like allowing Amtrak passengers to carry firearms in baggage and expand sporting exceptions related to firearms. She has put forth sexual assault death penalty institutions, the protection of Christian imagery and references in federal materials and at federal buildings, as well as ardently preventing a secular humanist from joining the Chaplain Corps.

Despite a favorable record in the Senate and being an avid bill writer and a Christian champion, Clementine has also faced her own kind of controversies. She came under fire for not acknowledging her family's wealth built on slaves and initially refused to apologize for her ancestors, before donating to local black activism groups. But she was subsequently criticized for the amount, given that she donates almost four-fold more to conservative and Christian political groups. Clementine also was discovered to have attended a segregated elementary and middle school, something her father sought to defend by arguing against federal integration reforms. She has since been quiet about these political issues, though it has been noted that unlike her father's clear small government ideology, Redmond has been more partisan about her inclination to favor a small or big government. Additionally, Clementine's own support for farm grants, land development deregulation, and hurricane policy expansions, while certainly popular in Alabama and outwardly good, have been attacked as personally benefiting her and her family's extensive property ownership. Redmond won reelection in the 1980 general election by two points due to close allies shutting down any primary challengers and her own family name proving helpful though being a woman and a Democrat in the face of mounting GOP presence turned the race close. She continued her strongly conservative crusade, eventually switching to the Republican Party come 1988 citing radical shifts to the left by the Democrats and a 'tireless' focus on civil rights. She went on to winning reelection in 1986 by ten points, and again in 1992 and 1998 by well over twenty points each time. She was unchallenged in 2004 and in 2010 & 2016, she won by over 30 points.

Ideology
While Clementine considers herself a Christian, conservative, and a Wolfist in that order. For this reason, Redmond remains a favorite of the Christian Right and her father's own reputation as a Reagan supporter has bolstered her credentials as a classic southern conservative. She is also openly partisan, supporting ideas sometimes despite obvious pro-big government aspects, if they support her Christian agenda and outwardly conservative views. Wolf was a bit of a surprising candidate for her to support given previous comments in support of sexual abuse justice, yet she had since reversed course. Now, she has defended him through his worst mistakes and lauded his biggest successes.

Other Information
Owns the Redmond and Wendolyn family mansions, maintaining a number of other properties across Alabama. Clementine also continues to welcome pastors and Christian groups to help develop her policy and support her campaigns.
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Bruke wrote:

hehehehe "full Xath"

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 pm

hehehehe "full Xath"

How many characters do you actually have anyways?

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 pm

My analysis of what happened in Sippi is up.

Chip would have won in a landslide if he held up a Bible at his rallies and proclaimed a vague desire to defend the rebel heritage of the State. Now he is locked in a neck and neck race
Last edited by Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:My analysis of what happened in Sippi is up.

Chip would have won in a landslide if he held up a Bible at his rallies and proclaimed a vague desire to defend the rebel heritage of the State. Now he is locked in a neck and neck race

basically what my Bama lady was made to do which is fire up the religious right and evangelicals

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi wrote:My analysis of what happened in Sippi is up.

basically what my Bama lady was made to do which is fire up the religious right and evangelicals

Ya, probably why I wanted her to get accepted so badly too

Overall, I most certainly don't know all the various minusha of Republican politics and voters off the top my head, not to meantion it is the first time I've ever ran a campaign in Washington/LOTF so, overall, eh. Probably try and take it as a learning experience I guess

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:basically what my Bama lady was made to do which is fire up the religious right and evangelicals

Ya, probably why I wanted her to get accepted so badly too

Overall, I most certainly don't know all the various minusha of Republican politics and voters off the top my head, not to meantion it is the first time I've ever ran a campaign in Washington/LOTF so, overall, eh. Probably try and take it as a learning experience I guess

You had the right idea, that campaign would have probably worked in a non-Deep South heavily red State.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:Ya, probably why I wanted her to get accepted so badly too

You had the right idea, that campaign would have probably worked in a non-Deep South heavily red State.

Ya, Chip was never designed to be Mississippi-specific, if I remember correctly I just wanted a southern statewide character and I couldn't find a state that felt right and someone brought up that we didn't have anyone playing as the Republican nom in Sippi yet so I could work out a character idea for that better than like a Senator from any other Southern state so I just went with it

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:26 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:Ya, probably why I wanted her to get accepted so badly too

Would have been great for North Carolina

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 pm

NS Nation Name: Yourmom Miri

Character Name: Andrew Bruce Courtois

Character Gender: Male

Character Age: 64

Character Height: 6'1

Character Weight: 176 pounds

Character Position/Role/Job:
- Governor of Massachusetts (since 2014)
- Campaign Finance Director for Ron Mitter's Presidential Campaign (2012)
- Chairman of the Massachusetts Republican Party (2010-2014)
- Campaign Finance Director for Ron Mitter's Presidential Campaign (2008)
- US Secretary of Commerce (2000-2003)
- CEO of Plymouth Rock Health Services (1996-2000, 2004-2008, 2008-2012)
- Financial Services Partner at Brewer Consulting (1994-1996)

Appearance: Stewart Hosie, MP

Character State of Origin: Louisiana

Character State of Residence: Massachusetts

Character Party Affiliation: Republican

Main Strengths:
- Experienced in both public and private sectors with a successful tenure as both a businessman and a politician.
- Deeply connected to political establishment in Massachusetts, friendly with Republicans and Democrats
- Solid political instincts; able to quickly adapt to changing circumstances and events.
- Skilled manager and organizer

Main Weaknesses:
- Likeable but not terribly charismatic; somewhat gaffe-prone
- Too liberal for the GOP at large, too conservative for some in Massachusetts
- Silver-spoon background and career path
- Connected not just to Ron Mitter, but to President John J. Burke
- Has a habit of talking tough and then blinking first every time he clashes with the state legislature

Biography:
Born July 19th, 1955 in Shreveport, Louisiana to Alexandre Baptiste Courtois, a lawyer and politician born in France, and Célia Marie Courtois (nee Long), daughter of Governor Earl Long. He grew up with a silver spoon firmly in his mouth--attending a prestigious private Catholic school, living large among the upper crust of Louisiana society--and graduated high school at the top of his class.

In 1972, after graduating high school, he attended Tulane University, where he was known for his academic success and his involvement with student government. After graduating from Tulane with a Bachelor's in Finance, he decided to head north: in 1976 he was accepted to Harvard Law School, and moved to Massachusetts.

At Harvard, he struggled socially somewhat, due to his Southern heritage and thick accent, which he worked with an acting coach to learn how to suppress. In his second year at the Law School he became a contributor to the Harvard Law Review, demonstrating his keen legal mind...if not, necessarily, his acumen with particularly engaging writing.

He graduated from Harvard in 1979, near the top of his class, and began working at Brewer Consulting, a Boston-based management consultancy firm. His work was satisfactory, and he rose through the ranks fairly fast, going from an Associate to a Partner in a little over a decade based off his workaholic tendencies, skill at networking, and family connections.

In 1980, at 25 years old and fresh out of Harvard, he began dating Arlene Adkins, a fellow graduate who was working on becoming a criminal defense attorney. He and Adkins were married in March of 1982, and had a son, Andre Bayard Courtois, on July 3rd, 1983. On August 24th, 1985, they had a daughter, Laura Célia Courtois. Life was good for the Courtois family, although Alexandre suffered a fatal heart attack in 1989.

In 1994, Andrew met Ron Mitter, who was running for Senate, while Andrew worked as a financial adviser to his campaign. The pair struck up a friendship and a professional relationship.

In 1995, barely eight months after Andrew had been made a Partner at Brewer, his wife and daughter died in a car crash in Salem, where they'd been visiting Arlene's family. A drunk driver, speeding down the street, struck the Courtois vehicle on the driver's side at nearly 80 miles per hour. Arlene was killed nearly instantly, while the force of the two cars careening off the road and into a ditch smashed Laura's head into the back of the driver's seat so hard that she suffered massive brain damage. She hadn't been wearing a seat belt.

Andre, in shock and not even 13 years old, managed to crawl out of the passenger seat and through the shattered driver's window. He sat on the road, bleeding, and waited for his father and the ambulance to arrive. Andrew, who'd been at work, rushed out of the building mid-meeting when he was informed, and drove to the hospital Andre had been taken to. Andrew's boss, understanding the situation, gave him nearly a month off work in order to be with his son and bury his wife and daughter.

Andrew made sure Andre was able to see a therapist, while his mother Célia moved up from Louisiana to care for Andre while Andrew was at work. Andrew, who was in 7th grade, was in and out of therapists offices and mental institutions.

In 1996, Plymouth Rock Health Services, a health insurance company, lost it's CEO. Andrew, a successful partner at a well-known firm, was offered the job, which he accepted--partially in order to keep paying for Andre's therapy bills.

On December 10th, 1998, two years after Andrew had begun working at Plymouth Rock and three years after the accident, Andre attempted to commit suicide. Célia, who believed that Andre had improved enough to be left home alone briefly, was out shopping. She returned to find her grandson laying on the floor in a puddle of puke, having broken into the liquor cabinet and swallowed as many pills as he could get in his mouth.

Andre was rushed to the hospital and briefly proclaimed medically dead before doctors were able to revive him and pump his stomach. Andrew once more rushed out of a meeting to see to his son's condition, leading to a screaming match with Célia in the hospital.

After taking Andre home later that week, Andrew took more time off to attend to his son. Andrew also began attending his own therapy sessions, as well as joint sessions with his son. During this period, Andrew--who had let his Catholic faith lapse during college--began regularly attending Mass again, finding it a steadying influence in his life. Andre came with him, and father and son bonded, not over shared grief, but over a shared faith. Célia, who was still living with them and had been (pun intended) religiously attending Mass, was overjoyed.

In 2000, the year Andre graduated high school, Andrew supported John J. Burke during the Republican primary and campaigned for him in Massachusetts. Burke lost Massachusetts, but won both the primary and the general election. He took a liking to Andrew, and appointed him Secretary of Commerce. Andrew resigned his job at Plymouth Rock and rented an apartment in D.C., while still frequently visiting Boston.

Andrew was a component and effective Secretary (who basically did everything that Donald Evans did as Secretary of Commerce from 2000-2003), but he and Vice President Dickney developed, over a short period of time, an intense mutual dislike. In 2003, Andrew resigned. Publically, his reasoning was that he missed his son (who was attending Boston University in the pre-med track) and his mother. Privately, it was that, as well as his disdain for Dickney. In a private letter to Burke that was obtained by press in 2006, he wrote, "John, you've been a good friend and a wonderful boss. Sadly, however, I cannot stand being in the same building as the VP for one more minute of my life."

After his resignation, Andrew returned to Boston. He was semi-retired for 2 years, resting on the comforts of his long career and spending as much time as he could with Andre and Célia. He briefly dated a number of other women, but couldn't take it any further--it felt like a betrayal of Arlene. So he remained an unmarried widower, content to watch his son grow up. His only political involvement in this period was endorsing and voting for Ron Mitter as Governor.

In 2004, Plymouth Rock, experiencing financial hardship, asked Andrew to return as CEO. Bored, he agreed, and quickly helped turn the company around by shedding employees, lowering premiums, and offering a wider range of coverage, allowing the company to compete better and poach clients from other companies.

In 2007, Andre graduated from med school and began working as an orthopedic surgeon. Andrew was overjoyed that the son he almost lost had become so successful.

In 2008, Ron Mitter approached Andrew and asked him to serve as Finance Director for his first Presidential campaign. Andrew agreed and took a temporary leave from Plymouth Rock. He worked with Mitter through the primaries, where he received more donations than every other candidate, until Mitter conceded his loss to (not-McCain), when Andrew returned to life as normal.

In 2009, Andre, who'd moved to be closer to his job, brought home a significant other--his boyfriend, Marcus, an aide to the Mayor of Boston. Andrew, though shocked, accepted the pairing relatively quickly, and got into another screaming match with a disapproving Célia about it. This time, the fight nearly tore the family apart, and Célia was on the verge of moving back to Shreveport before Andre managed to calm her down.

In 2010, with the Chairman of the Massachusetts Republican Party leaving, Andrew decided to run for the position. He was able to triumph, banking on his political connections to overcome the other candidates. He led the state GOP for 4 years, working to get as many candidates elected to state and local offices as possible while keeping the (minuscule) Tea Party elements in his party at bay by refusing to back them, publically endorsing their opponents, and even donating to Democrats. His tactics were not appreciated by all of the state GOP, but they kept the Party together during a politically fractious time, as well as keeping Massachusetts Republicans viable by avoiding the extremism some wanted to embrace.

Also in 2010, Andre and Marcus were married. In 2011, a surrogate gave them twin daughters: Laura Arlene and Célia Imogen. Andrew was thrilled to be a grandfather.

In 2012, Ron Mitter once more approached Andrew, asking him to run a second Presidential campaign. Andrew left his job at Plymouth Rock for good, and took the job of Finance Director. He was with the Mitter campaign through the primaries, all the way to the loss against Baharia. Disheartened, Andrew returned home to continue running the state GOP.

In 2014, with the Democratic incumbent not running, Andrew decided to chance a run for Governor. He resigned his position in the state GOP and cruised through the Republican primary, crushing his opponents easily. In a tough, sometimes vicious election, he managed to squeak out a win against the Democratic candidate. He won reelection overwhelmingly in 2018, and ran briefly for President in 2016. He dropped out before Iowa and didn't poll above 2% for his entire campaign.

His Governorship has been basically identical to that of the RL Charlie Baker--fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and willing to compromise when needed.

Other Info:
Ideologically, he's a pragmatic, old-school Republican: pro-labor, pro-cannabis, pro-gun, and anti-abortion for all the good it does him. He's never tried to outlaw abortion in Massachusetts but has voiced his opposition to it personally while not touching it legally. His Governorship has been marked by an increase in public-private partnerships and a lowering of taxes across Massachusetts, particularly on companies that have or move their headquarters to the state.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Laban Biri

Do Not Remove: 84721

Idk man my brain just does thing.
Last edited by Lavan Tiri on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:04 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:I know, still just kind of seemed a predetermined story to me, maybe not via Biden's VP, but still kind of seemed like she was always going to aim and get to higher office one way or the other even back then

The real interesting thing will be who Newsom appoints to succeed Harris if she wins, from 2021 to 2022.

I hope its a Hispanic like Durazo but I feel like it might be Padilla or Bacerra though both were only recently elected to their own positions of course.

Judy Chu, Barbara Lee, or Katie Porter please.

Join Home of the Brave!

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

your mom

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Lavan Tiri wrote:
(Image)

Appearance:

Main Strengths:
- Experienced in both public and private sectors with a successful tenure as both a businessman and a politician.
- Deeply connected to political establishment in Massachusetts, friendly with Republicans and Democrats
- Solid political instincts; able to quickly adapt to changing circumstances and events.

Main Weaknesses:
- Has a habit of talking tough and then blinking first every time he clashes with the state legislature

Biography:
Born July 19th, 1955 in Shreveport, Louisiana to Alexandre Baptiste Courtois, a lawyer and politician born in France, and Célia Marie Courtois (nee Long), daughter of Governor Earl Long. He grew up with a silver spoon firmly in his mouth--attending a prestigious private Catholic school, living large among the upper crust of Louisiana society--and graduated high school at the top of his class.

In 1972, after graduating high school, he attended Tulane University, where he was known for his academic success and his involvement with student government. After graduating from Tulane with a Bachelor's in Finance, he decided to head north: in 1976 he was accepted to Harvard Law School, and moved to Massachusetts.

At Harvard, he struggled socially somewhat, due to his Southern heritage and thick accent, which he worked with an acting coach to learn how to suppress. In his second year at the Law School he became a contributor to the Harvard Law Review, demonstrating his keen legal mind...if not, necessarily, his acumen with particularly engaging writing.

He graduated from Harvard in 1979, near the top of his class, and began working at Brewer Consulting, a Boston-based management consultancy firm. His work was satisfactory, and he rose through the ranks fairly fast, going from an Associate to a Partner in a little over a decade based off his workaholic tendencies, skill at networking, and family connections.

In 1980, at 25 years old and fresh out of Harvard, he began dating Arlene Adkins, a fellow graduate who was working on becoming a criminal defense attorney. He and Adkins were married in March of 1982, and had a son, Andre Bayard Courtois, on July 3rd, 1983. On August 24th, 1985, they had a daughter, Laura Célia Courtois. Life was good for the Courtois family, although Alexandre suffered a fatal heart attack in 1989.

In 1994, Andrew met Ron Mitter, who was running for Senate, while Andrew worked as a financial adviser to his campaign. The pair struck up a friendship and a professional relationship.

In 1995, barely eight months after Andrew had been made a Partner at Brewer, his wife and daughter died in a car crash in Salem, where they'd been visiting Arlene's family. A drunk driver, speeding down the street, struck the Courtois vehicle on the driver's side at nearly 80 miles per hour. Arlene was killed nearly instantly, while the force of the two cars careening off the road and into a ditch smashed Laura's head into the back of the driver's seat so hard that she suffered massive brain damage. She hadn't been wearing a seat belt.

Andre, in shock and not even 13 years old, managed to crawl out of the passenger seat and through the shattered driver's window. He sat on the road, bleeding, and waited for his father and the ambulance to arrive. Andrew, who'd been at work, rushed out of the building mid-meeting when he was informed, and drove to the hospital Andre had been taken to. Andrew's boss, understanding the situation, gave him nearly a month off work in order to be with his son and bury his wife and daughter.

Andrew made sure Andre was able to see a therapist, while his mother Célia moved up from Louisiana to care for Andre while Andrew was at work. Andrew, who was in 7th grade, was in and out of therapists offices and mental institutions.

In 1996, Plymouth Rock Health Services, a health insurance company, lost it's CEO. Andrew, a successful partner at a well-known firm, was offered the job, which he accepted--partially in order to keep paying for Andre's therapy bills.

On December 10th, 1998, two years after Andrew had begun working at Plymouth Rock and three years after the accident, Andre attempted to commit suicide. Célia, who believed that Andre had improved enough to be left home alone briefly, was out shopping. She returned to find her grandson laying on the floor in a puddle of puke, having broken into the liquor cabinet and swallowed as many pills as he could get in his mouth.

Andre was rushed to the hospital and briefly proclaimed medically dead before doctors were able to revive him and pump his stomach. Andrew once more rushed out of a meeting to see to his son's condition, leading to a screaming match with Célia in the hospital.

After taking Andre home later that week, Andrew took more time off to attend to his son. Andrew also began attending his own therapy sessions, as well as joint sessions with his son. During this period, Andrew--who had let his Catholic faith lapse during college--began regularly attending Mass again, finding it a steadying influence in his life. Andre came with him, and father and son bonded, not over shared grief, but over a shared faith. Célia, who was still living with them and had been (pun intended) religiously attending Mass, was overjoyed.

In 2000, the year Andre graduated high school, Andrew supported John J. Burke during the Republican primary and campaigned for him in Massachusetts. Burke lost Massachusetts, but won both the primary and the general election. He took a liking to Andrew, and appointed him Secretary of Commerce. Andrew resigned his job at Plymouth Rock and rented an apartment in D.C., while still frequently visiting Boston.

Andrew was a component and effective Secretary (who basically did everything that Donald Evans did as Secretary of Commerce from 2000-2003), but he and Vice President Dickney developed, over a short period of time, an intense mutual dislike. In 2003, Andrew resigned. Publically, his reasoning was that he missed his son (who was attending Boston University in the pre-med track) and his mother. Privately, it was that, as well as his disdain for Dickney. In a private letter to Burke that was obtained by press in 2006, he wrote, "John, you've been a good friend and a wonderful boss. Sadly, however, I cannot stand being in the same building as the VP for one more minute of my life."

After his resignation, Andrew returned to Boston. He was semi-retired for 2 years, resting on the comforts of his long career and spending as much time as he could with Andre and Célia. He briefly dated a number of other women, but couldn't take it any further--it felt like a betrayal of Arlene. So he remained an unmarried widower, content to watch his son grow up. His only political involvement in this period was endorsing and voting for Ron Mitter as Governor.

In 2004, Plymouth Rock, experiencing financial hardship, asked Andrew to return as CEO. Bored, he agreed, and quickly helped turn the company around by shedding employees, lowering premiums, and offering a wider range of coverage, allowing the company to compete better and poach clients from other companies.

In 2007, Andre graduated from med school and began working as an orthopedic surgeon. Andrew was overjoyed that the son he almost lost had become so successful.

In 2008, Ron Mitter approached Andrew and asked him to serve as Finance Director for his first Presidential campaign. Andrew agreed and took a temporary leave from Plymouth Rock. He worked with Mitter through the primaries, where he received more donations than every other candidate, until Mitter conceded his loss to (not-McCain), when Andrew returned to life as normal.

In 2009, Andre, who'd moved to be closer to his job, brought home a significant other--his boyfriend, Marcus, an aide to the Mayor of Boston. Andrew, though shocked, accepted the pairing relatively quickly, and got into another screaming match with a disapproving Célia about it. This time, the fight nearly tore the family apart, and Célia was on the verge of moving back to Shreveport before Andre managed to calm her down.

In 2010, with the Chairman of the Massachusetts Republican Party leaving, Andrew decided to run for the position. He was able to triumph, banking on his political connections to overcome the other candidates. He led the state GOP for 4 years, working to get as many candidates elected to state and local offices as possible while keeping the (minuscule) Tea Party elements in his party at bay by refusing to back them, publically endorsing their opponents, and even donating to Democrats. His tactics were not appreciated by all of the state GOP, but they kept the Party together during a politically fractious time, as well as keeping Massachusetts Republicans viable by avoiding the extremism some wanted to embrace.

Also in 2010, Andre and Marcus were married. In 2011, a surrogate gave them twin daughters: Laura Arlene and Célia Imogen. Andrew was thrilled to be a grandfather.

In 2012, Ron Mitter once more approached Andrew, asking him to run a second Presidential campaign. Andrew left his job at Plymouth Rock for good, and took the job of Finance Director. He was with the Mitter campaign through the primaries, all the way to the loss against Baharia. Disheartened, Andrew returned home to continue running the state GOP.

In 2014, with the Democratic incumbent not running, Andrew decided to chance a run for Governor. He resigned his position in the state GOP and cruised through the Republican primary, crushing his opponents easily. In a tough, sometimes vicious election, he managed to squeak out a win against the Democratic candidate. He won reelection overwhelmingly in 2018, and ran briefly for President in 2016. He dropped out before Iowa and didn't poll above 2% for his entire campaign.

His Governorship has been basically identical to that of the RL Charlie Baker--fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and willing to compromise when needed.

Other Info:
Ideologically, he's a pragmatic, old-school Republican: pro-labor, pro-cannabis, pro-gun, and anti-abortion for all the good it does him. He's never tried to outlaw abortion in Massachusetts but has voiced his opposition to it personally while not touching it legally. His Governorship has been marked by an increase in public-private partnerships and a lowering of taxes across Massachusetts, particularly on companies that have or move their headquarters to the state.

While I am happy he could get a French-American thing going on with the First Lady, not to meantion expanding the Long Family, but I believe he would've had to take office starting after the 2018 election due to one of Gordo's characters being Gov of Mass 2010-2018 or something like that

Lavan Tiri wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:The real interesting thing will be who Newsom appoints to succeed Harris if she wins, from 2021 to 2022.

Barbara Lee fuck yes, but I still think it might be best for California to finally have a Hispanic Senator

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
Lavan Tiri wrote:
(Image)

Appearance:

Main Strengths:

Main Weaknesses:

Biography:

Other Info:

While I am happy he could get a French-American thing going on with the First Lady, not to meantion expanding the Long Family, but I believe he would've had to take office starting after the 2018 election due to one of Gordo's characters being Gov of Mass 2010-2018 or something like that

I'll fight Gordo. Also I actually forgot about Papa Long which is wack cos he's my favorite non-Atang character.

EDIT: nope, Lynskey was out the same year Courtois was elected.

Lavan Tiri wrote:

Barbara Lee fuck yes, but I still think it might be best for California to finally have a Hispanic Senator

Lucille Roybal-Allard is cool too
Last edited by Lavan Tiri on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join Home of the Brave!

your mom

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Lavan Tiri wrote:
New Cobastheia wrote:

I'll fight Gordo. Also I actually forgot about Papa Long which is wack cos he's my favorite non-Atang character.

You need to fix the guy, but when you do, a certain ice cream man would love to talk to him. Immediately.

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Bruke wrote:
Lavan Tiri wrote:

You need to fix the guy, but when you do, a certain ice cream man would love to talk to him. Immediately.

What needs fixed? Aside from Lynskey, which doesn't actually overlap--Courtois was elected right after Lynskey's term was over.

Join Home of the Brave!

your mom

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Lavan Tiri wrote:
Bruke wrote:

What needs fixed? Aside from Lynskey, which doesn't actually overlap--Courtois was elected right after Lynskey's term was over.

Oh I was going to say the Lynskey thing, never mind...

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Bruke wrote:
Lavan Tiri wrote:

Whoops could of sworn Lynskey was 2010-2018, my bad

Anyways, the what do you mean by a certain ice cream man?

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:23 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
Bruke wrote:

Whoops could of sworn Lynskey was 2010-2018, my bad

Anyways, the what do you mean by a certain ice cream man?

Jim Slim, the brother of the CEO of family-owned Maplevale, Olympian extraordinaire, and Governor of the great state of Vermont

He’s trying to grow Vermont’s economy by luring companies out of Massachusetts... for now. That’s why he wants to talk to his counterpart in Massachusetts, to make the process more collaborative instead of cutthroat.
Last edited by Bruke on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:24 pm

No, no, Lynskey was '08 through '16, I think.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse