NATION

PASSWORD

Land of The Free: American Political Roleplay (OOC IV)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:25 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Puertollano wrote:And Dalton hasn't really said or done anything that would hurt her either, so it's pretty difficult.

At the very least, she's a significantly weaker candidate than Beshear.

Misra is also a trashier candidate than Bevin, which should be impossible, but she's as bad as him without the incumbency. This is why I'm convinced Kentucky comes down to the wire with under 2 points between the winner and loser.
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 am

Sarenium wrote:

Misra is also a trashier candidate than Bevin, which should be impossible, but she's as bad as him without the incumbency. This is why I'm convinced Kentucky comes down to the wire with under 2 points between the winner and loser.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I think her sacking is whitewashed by the President coming out for her, I don't think her congressional scandal hurts too badly because it's neither about sex nor money and therefore people don't care, and thus I think her NOT being Bevin help as it means people can get a clean break from Bevin without voting for the Democrat.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 am

Sarenium wrote:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I think her sacking is whitewashed by the President coming out for her, I don't think her congressional scandal hurts too badly because it's neither about sex nor money and therefore people don't care, and thus I think her NOT being Bevin help as it means people can get a clean break from Bevin without voting for the Democrat.

Bevin benefited from the President actively campaigning in his state to drive out his supporters and nationalize the election, with the President confined to bed, that hardcore pro-GOP basin has stayed home in most of these offyear elections while Democrats have continued mobilizing, keeping it local has exposed Dalton's obvious vulnerabilities but she weathered them really well in the debate. The only exception to this local-matters-victory train is Long who nationalized his re-election bid as a M4A stunt, Brosnan and Dalton have both kept the elections in their states and their endorsers and assistance has come in the form of 'this person is a ~insert state~ Democrat', the President coming out for Misra helps sure, but Wolf hasn't visited any of the three states + Virginia to lend the slightest support allowing Democratic big-names to capitalize on his absence. Diehl is on the trail too and his rural chops will help ease rural voters concerns.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:36 am

Sarenium wrote:

Bevin benefited from the President actively campaigning in his state to drive out his supporters and nationalize the election, with the President confined to bed, that hardcore pro-GOP basin has stayed home in most of these offyear elections while Democrats have continued mobilizing, keeping it local has exposed Dalton's obvious vulnerabilities but she weathered them really well in the debate. The only exception to this local-matters-victory train is Long who nationalized his re-election bid as a M4A stunt, Brosnan and Dalton have both kept the elections in their states and their endorsers and assistance has come in the form of 'this person is a ~insert state~ Democrat', the President coming out for Misra helps sure, but Wolf hasn't visited any of the three states + Virginia to lend the slightest support allowing Democratic big-names to capitalize on his absence. Diehl is on the trail too and his rural chops will help ease rural voters concerns.

Wolf did visit Kentucky, it was the last thing he did before he collapsed, and honestly, I think Diehl is more of a liability than a boon, he's a visible totem of Baharia. Obama's average approval in Kentucky was net -26.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 am

Sarenium wrote:

Wolf did visit Kentucky, it was the last thing he did before he collapsed, and honestly, I think Diehl is more of a liability than a boon, he's a visible totem of Baharia. Obama's average approval in Kentucky was net -26.

He's still good for Baharia-Wolf voters who outnumber Romney-Clifford voters by the thousands, idk I look forward to being handed results to make pretty and trickle down.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Meelducan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 am

Ugh may as well get involved in Kentucky
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:55 am

ATTENTION s l u t s!

** All players with characters involved in the upcoming 2019 Offyears, please telegram me as soon as possible the name of your character model and within the next few days a concession and victory speech, Louisiana candidates you have an extra week. For everyone else though, I need:

- Char Models
- Location of Election Night Party/HQ
- Concession & Victory Speech

As with Texas there will be opportunities between posts for you to add slice of life content, but for maximum seamlessness, I'd like to replicate the Texas stuff and keep it all in the one hand. The three number crunching teams will get their data to me asap and it'll be compiled into one. I've also begun approaching players about RPing "on the night" conversations between pundits, if I haven't telegramed you but you have faith in your impartiality and would like to RP a pundit interacting with Antony and the gang, reach out I love help.

If there's Texas feedback that either of Azek or Xath would like to share, please do, you've experienced it firsthand, observers from then, same goes for you, I'm all for improving the system.

See above for the opening pane for the Kentucky Race, made some changes to match the Antony Grey flair.
Last edited by Sarenium on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:05 am

Hey guys

I’m going to be inactive for a bit, probably a few days but could be up to 10. Hurricane battered my neck of the woods pretty bad, state says we could be out of power for up to 10 days. Not to mention, the conservation area I manage is a disaster, we have about 200 fallen trees to deal with.

Anyway, I’m on mobile now. Wanted to drop that message and also give my two cents before the elections.

Mississippi- I think it’s a tossup. Brosnan could win thanks to lower turnout than 2019, if Renfus does not turn out evangelicals in large numbers. Renfus, unlike Reeves, does not have Evangelical chops or Wolf/Trump to turn them out. I don’t think the woman thing matters for Brosnan, the state has elected women to statewide office before.

Kentucky- I think Misra is stronger than Bevin. Her scandals are not very potent for voters. She doesn’t have Bevin’s terrible record to run on, or his gaffes such as insulting public school teachers and accusing them of murder. Similarly, Dalton is a lot weaker than Beshear. She’s never won statewide office and her biggest claim to fame is being a drug addicted Hollywood actor. Not a great fit for the Bluegrass State.

Louisiana- I think Holland has it. He can win suburbanites where Rispone could not, and Long went too national and too progressive.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am

Sanabel wrote:Hey guys

I’m going to be inactive for a bit, probably a few days but could be up to 10. Hurricane battered my neck of the woods pretty bad, state says we could be out of power for up to 10 days. Not to mention, the conservation area I manage is a disaster, we have about 200 fallen trees to deal with.

Anyway, I’m on mobile now. Wanted to drop that message and also give my two cents before the elections.

Mississippi- I think it’s a tossup. Brosnan could win thanks to lower turnout than 2019, if Renfus does not turn out evangelicals in large numbers. Renfus, unlike Reeves, does not have Evangelical chops or Wolf/Trump to turn them out. I don’t think the woman thing matters for Brosnan, the state has elected women to statewide office before.

Kentucky- I think Misra is stronger than Bevin. Her scandals are not very potent for voters. She doesn’t have Bevin’s terrible record to run on, or his gaffes such as insulting public school teachers and accusing them of murder. Similarly, Dalton is a lot weaker than Beshear. She’s never won statewide office and her biggest claim to fame is being a drug addicted Hollywood actor. Not a great fit for the Bluegrass State.

Louisiana- I think Holland has it. He can win suburbanites where Rispone could not, and Long went too national and too progressive.

Stay safe King, take all the time you need !!
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:10 am

Look after yourself, and I hope things work out for you soon.
Neoliberal

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 am

Puertollano wrote:And Dalton hasn't really said or done anything that would hurt her either, so it's pretty difficult.

Youre not wrong however she has two advantages that Beshear didnt have... being an outsider and being pro life. I knew it would be an uphill climb but i'm proud what I did with her and I think she ran a good race
Last edited by Dentali on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 am

Isnt the election next week?
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:57 am

Agarntrop wrote:Isnt the election next week?

correct

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:01 am

I'm a pedantic preparationalist who likes to be ahead of the game.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 am

Sarenium wrote:

I'm a pedantic preparationalist who likes to be ahead of the game.

Okay hang on. I just need to finish off events and adds which I will all hopefully dump by tommorow.

OH GOD IM GONNA LOSE
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 am

Take care and please stay safe... and healthy.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 am

Luv u san
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 am

Biggest disappointment when you make the election night content, is that you make a bunch of panes and stuff before the results to be easily prepared, but you'll never know exactly what happens until the data comes in and after that half of my panes never go public big sad.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 am

Sarenium wrote:Biggest disappointment when you make the election night content, is that you make a bunch of panes and stuff before the results to be easily prepared, but you'll never know exactly what happens until the data comes in and after that half of my panes never go public big sad.

Same with dead RPs, I’ve got plenty of unreleased storylines/posts and detailed fictional culture/language apps that no one will ever see. P2tm is just like that

Btw I’ll try to send the concession and other stuff tonight
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 am

Sarenium wrote:ATTENTION s l u t s!

** All players with characters involved in the upcoming 2019 Offyears, please telegram me as soon as possible the name of your character model and within the next few days a concession and victory speech, Louisiana candidates you have an extra week. For everyone else though, I need:

- Char Models
- Location of Election Night Party/HQ
- Concession & Victory Speech

As with Texas there will be opportunities between posts for you to add slice of life content, but for maximum seamlessness, I'd like to replicate the Texas stuff and keep it all in the one hand. The three number crunching teams will get their data to me asap and it'll be compiled into one. I've also begun approaching players about RPing "on the night" conversations between pundits, if I haven't telegramed you but you have faith in your impartiality and would like to RP a pundit interacting with Antony and the gang, reach out I love help.

If there's Texas feedback that either of Azek or Xath would like to share, please do, you've experienced it firsthand, observers from then, same goes for you, I'm all for improving the system.

See above for the opening pane for the Kentucky Race, made some changes to match the Antony Grey flair.

1. Don’t drag it out so long
2. Only post the concession and victory speeches closer to the end once the results are fully tabulated, not just when it’s called

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 am

Here’s my Vermont guy, guys: if he’s good I’ll make him a Wolf Family friend like I intended.

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Bruke
Character Name: James “Jim” Slim
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 41
Character Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Character Weight: however big Tony Shaloub was in his 40s?
Character Position/Role/Job: Olympic, etc. Athlete -for Alpine Skiing and Sport Shooting- (2002/2000 - 2010(for alpine skiing)/2012 (for sport shooting); Governor of Vermont (2014-present)
Appearance: (Photo preferred, not required)
Character State of Origin: Vermont
Character State of Residence: Vermont
Character Party Affiliation: Independent (1996-2014); Republican (2014-present)
Main Strengths: Political outsider status (at least initially), residual popularity and goodwill from his Olympian days.
Main Weaknesses: Apolitical until relatively recently, liberal enough to anger conservatives and conservative enough to anger liberals, increasingly seen as a defender of the status quo.
Biography: (Minimum 2-3 paragraphs)

The Slim family came to Vermont in 1915, urbanite and rural peasant alike, fleeing the chaos of WW1 and the Great Famine of Mount Lebanon.

The family went through Boston to get to New England, but ended up settling up north in a Vermont railroad town- Saint Johnsbury. There, they worked as peddlers as they saved up over the next few years to open up two businesses in the East Saint Johnsbury neighborhood: a store selling religious items and a stand selling ice cream in the summer- with maple sugar in the base, made with locally found mint or local berries like strawberry and blueberry.

Going into business allowed them to integrate into the local community… or so it seemed. In the 1920s, as the Klan made their way North, they reached Saint Johnsbury as they made their presence known throughout the state. Renewed anti-Catholic and nativist sentiment, along with a lack of Maronite clergy, pushed the family to assimilate further by becoming Protestant and joining a CongregationaI church. This trend was concurrent with the choices of other Maronites, who joined Latin Rite churches, became Protestant, or left the faith altogether… leading to business drying up for the store.

During the Depression, the family reverted to peddling, bartering with many local farmers and dairymen- including Oliver Austin, who lived in the portion of Concord known as North Concord; but peddling led to more than an exchange of items for money. Austin, a longtime customer with an only daughter, was unsure about the future of his dairy. By 1932, he had an answer… Fortune intervened when a son and a daughter fell in love, with one taking her husband’s last name and another joining her at her late father’s dairy farm. The Slims were now men and women of the countryside, living what some would call an idyllic rural life, and men and women of business, turning their small stand in Saint Johnsbury into a proper parlor to advertise what the dairy would focus on from then on: ice cream.

From this, Maplevale, the ice cream company, was born. It slowly grew during the Depression and the wartime period -maple sugar was far cheaper than regular sugar- allowing the company to undercut its competitors prices in the face of economic downturns and wartime rationing… and to successfully brand itself as the truest New England ice cream there ever was. Its signature item, the maple-mint Yankee Yummy, debuted with a refined but secret recipe, and the cones and ice cream sandwiches took the entire region by storm.

As Maplevale grew, one parlor turned to dozens across the state and across the region, and one dairy farm wasn’t enough. The Slim family insisted on control of all stages of the process -“from cow to cone”- and so purchased several dairy farms in Concord and Kirby. By the time Anthony and Martha had taken over the business in the 1970s, it rivaled regional competitors like Friendly’s, Carvel, and Brigham’s and dominated the ice cream sections of grocery chains like Giant Value and Price Chopper.

James Slim was born in 1978 to Anthony and Martha, his parents, the second born son after Mark. Like his older brother and older Slims, James went to Saint Johnsbury Academy for his K-12 learning. While at the Academy, he joined the alpine skiing team, and discovered one of two passions that would take him to the Olympics.

James continued alpine skiing while attending Middlebury College, while putting his academic efforts into its Environmental Studies program. Along the way, he kept up with sport shooting, building on a passion for guns he developed at home. His parents, wealthy as they were, could afford to provide him with coaching for both from his childhood onwards, and the coaching paid off in college and beyond.

Upon graduation, James worked his way up the ladders of his chosen sports, at national and international competitions, until his Olympic career blossomed.

In 2010, a split-second accident while at the Winter Olympics left him with minor cuts and bruises but nearly left him paralyzed. The accident made him reconsider his career, especially in light of his role as a husband and father. It was then he decided- 2012 would be his last Olympic appearance. The previously thrill-seeking glory hound James would thrill-seek no more.

For the next two years, he struggled to figure out what he wanted to do with life. He considered going back to Middlebury or Saint Johnsbury to coach the alpine skiing team, but ultimately decided that this desire was borne out of a chase for glory rather than pure love of the sport. Mark had long since become involved at Maplevale and had no intention of giving up his path to succeed their parents at Maplevale, especially as the company needed a business-minded and experienced person at the helm after a thirty year decline thanks to the sluggish response to competition from quirky chains like Ben and Jerry’s and Emack & Bolio's and the stresses of the Great Recession.

In 2014, a political path opened up for him as the Governor’s race loomed…. The frontrunner for the Republican nomination, the scion of a political family, was uninspiring and undercut by a libertarian candidate; the two of them, together, divided potential primary voters. On the Democratic side, the incumbent Governor was seen as unpopular due to the failure of his single-payer healthcare plan and a failed rollout of the state’s ACA-required exchange.

Slim decided to enter the GOP primary, winning it and the general election by threading the needle between them all on a variety of issues:

On healthcare, he firmly rejected single-payer while arguing in favor of the ACA, including provisions on an exchange and Medicaid expansion, as a “larger version of a regionally tested solution” (not-Romney’s reforms in Massachusetts).

On environmental issues, he argued against closing the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant but said that, in case of closure, the state needed to be much more aggressive in adopting all forms of renewable energy, especially biomass.

On education, he stated opposition to free college for all while pledging to expand financial aid for low-income students and allow free tuition for students in vital fields such as STEM.

On guns, he pledged to veto any gun control bill that made it to his desk while increasing funding
for security at schools and other such locations.

On economic development issues, he pledged to lay the groundwork for Vermont to become “the tech hub of New England”, stating “the Green Mountain State should be covered in a new type of green- the green of silicon”. He placed special emphasis on investing in and expanding the already tuition-free Vermont Academy of Science and Technology to reach campuses beyond Vermont Tech. Beyond this, he campaigned on generally improving the business climate of the state.

On general fiscal issues, he pledged to close the budget gap through going after “wasteful” spending and tax loopholes rather than raising taxes outright.

As Governor, Slim has mostly succeeded in making tremendous progress towards his goals; the exceptions were saving Vermont Yankee, keeping gun control off the agenda, and stopping a minimum wage increase, the plant closed in the face of environmentalist opposition and both gun control and a minimum wage hike were passed over his vetoes by the state legislature.

His biggest political threat at this point is not the Democrats, who have repeatedly tried but failed to kick him out of the Pavilion, but the Progressive Party, angered by his obstinacy on their signature issue of single-payer health care and other progressive goals such as a living wage. With a Progressive already serving as Lieutenant Governor, a stepping stone to the highest office in the state, Slim will face a tough re-election battle for 2020. As part of his strategy to outmaneuver the Progressives, the already pro-choice Republican has gone against the state party line and come out in support of H.57, an abortion rights bill that critics say would allow late-term abortions, and Proposal 5, a proposed constitutional amendment to guarantee abortion rights.

Other Info:

He’s competed in the Winter Olympics and the Summer Olympics, and won gold medals multiple times.

Thanks to a recipe created by his parents and perfected in part by James, small amounts of almonds and orchid flour are used in their ice cream sandwiches to make them longer-lasting, as with booza.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Bruke

Do Not Remove: 84721
Last edited by Bruke on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:40 am

Dentali wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:One last time, clearly I'm bad at apps.

NS Nation Name: Major-Tom
Character Name: Joshua Roth
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 55
Character Height: 5'11
Character Weight: 161
Character Position/Role/Job: US Rep (NM-3 - Santa Fe / Taos), former NM State Treasurer (2011-2015)
Appearance: (Image)
Character State of Origin: New Mexico / NYC
Character State of Residence: New Mexico, Santa Fe
Character Party Affiliation: Democratic
Main Strengths: Pragmatic, known for having an immense attention to detail, affable personality, bipartisan acumen, business experience, and overall workhorse rather than a show horse.
Main Weaknesses: Not particularly inspiring, attracts criticism from both the right and the left, vulnerable to progressive primary challengers, can be seen as out of touch in terms of wealth, often seems aloof and not particularly charismatic.

Biography: Born to a Reform Jewish family in Queens in 1965, Roth graduated from Rutgers in 1987 with a B.A in Economics, where he was known as a calm, intelligent and relatively well-liked student. Roth obtained his Masters in Finance at the University of New Mexico in 1990, a state he now calls his home. He attended "almost on impulse" to avoid the high cost of living back East. In Santa Fe, he set up a successful chain of Toyota dealerships, the name "Roth Toyota-Lexus" becoming a New Mexico staple. A former moderate Republican, he switched to the Democratic Party in 2004 where he became a well-known donor and friend to the NM Dem Party.

In 2010, he made a successful run for State Treasurer, winning the position by a margin of only 3 points in a year that saw multiple Republicans elected to statewide office in otherwise more liberal New Mexico. As State Treasurer, he focused on deficit reduction and achieving a budget surplus, working with the Republican Governor to do so. NM was ravaged by the financial crisis of '08, and in it's aftermath, he worked to bring investment to the state.

He declined a second term in that capacity to focus on a 2014 run for Governor, losing relatively handily to the then popular Republican incumbent. Feeling disheartened at his loss, he took time to return to the automotive business and his chain of Toyota dealerships. In 2018, however, he saw an opportunity to run for the NM-03 seat, a safe liberal seat anchored by Santa Fe. The incumbent was retiring and this created a contentious three-way primary where he narrowly warded off the other two with 38% of the vote. He cruised to election success in the general, and was sworn into the House in 2019. In the House, he's been known as a legislative workhorse who focuses heavily on environmental protection, tax reform and conservation. A relative moderate, he is vulnerable to progressive insurgents in future primaries, given the left-wing tilt of New Mexico's 3rd district.

In his free time, he is a keen skier and hiker, and lives in Santa Fe with his wife of six years.

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Major-Tom

I'm ready to accept this however I would like to know if he differentiates from moderate democrats on any policies? He doesn't have to, i'm just curious. And is he a practicing jew?

Probs free trade, tax reform, the topic of healthcare. Basically just more fiscally moderate, and yes, a practicing Jew.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Dentali wrote:

I'm ready to accept this however I would like to know if he differentiates from moderate democrats on any policies? He doesn't have to, i'm just curious. And is he a practicing jew?

Probs free trade, tax reform, the topic of healthcare. Basically just more fiscally moderate, and yes, a practicing Jew.

Whats his stance on medicare and trade?

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am

Idk I had an idea

NS Nation Name: Lavan Tiri

Character Name: Lisbeth Alice Sigrun Gerhardt

Character Gender: Female

Character Age: 60

Character Height: 5'5

Character Weight: 117 pounds

Character Position/Role/Job:
- Senator from Montana (2006-present)
- Montana State Auditor (2000-2006)
- Montana State Senator for the 48th District (1992-2000)
- Lawyer at Brumley, Blackhurst, and Whittaker (1983-2000)

Appearance:

Character State of Origin: Montana

Character State of Residence: Montana

Main Strengths:
- Lifelong Montanan, strong connections locally
- Effective bipartisan negotiator
- Experienced public servant
- Blunt and plainspoken personality distinguishes her from other government officials and makes her more relatable
- Well-liked across the board in Montana

Main Weaknesses:
- Blunt and occasionally abrasive personality, combined with a tendency to make controversial statements, can offend people
- Somewhat alienated in her own party due to her strongly pro-gun stances
- Quietly disdainful of progressives, who are seeking someone to primary her
- Policies really don't excite people; she's a workaday, middle-of-the-road Dem. on most issues

Biography: Liz Damgaard was born August 19th, 1959, to Christian Damgaard and his wife Laura. Christian was a Hungarian immigrant, who had escaped Denmark with his father Mathias in 1943 as part of the Rescue of the Danish Jews. Christian and Mathias fled Sweden shortly after WWII ended, immigrating to the United States.

After arriving in the U.S., Mathias and Christian settled in North Dakota, where Mathias (a lawyer) began work at a law firm in Fargo. Christian, who was 13 when they arrived in the States, learnt English quickly, and enlisted in the army in 1950 at 18. He served in Korea through the entire Korean War, and after war's end he settled in Montana, studying dental medicine and eventually opening up a dentistry practice in Missoula in 1957. During this time, he met Laura Shelton, and the two were married in late 1958. In 1959, the pair had their first child, Lisbeth.

Liz was a bright, headstrong child, and did well in school, despite an incident where she punched a boy in the face for commenting on her breasts in 8th grade. She graduated in 1976, and began attending the Accounting program at University of Montana. In 1980, she was accepted to Harvard Law School, and graduated in 1983.

In 1983, Liz moved back to Missoula, and began working at Brumley, Blackhurst, and Whittaker, a law firm specializing in corporate finance. She would work there until 2000, rising steadily through the ranks.

In 1992, the State Senator for Montana's 48th District resigned from his job due to the death of his wife. Liz, being ambitious and young, decided to run for the Missoula-based seat. She won in a crowded primary field, then took the seat itself.

In the State Senate, Liz served as part of the Audit Committee, the Business, Labor, and Economic Affairs Committee, the Finance and Claims Committee, and the Rules Committee. Her main focuses as a legislator were government waste and public health infrastructure. In 1994, she was elected Minority Whip and gained the nickname The Enforcer for her ability to not only drag the Democrats in line, but to browbeat some Republicans into going along. In 1996, she was elected to a second term, and in 1997 her party chose her as Minority Leader.

In 2000, both Liz's Senate term and the State Auditor's term were coming to an end. Liz ran for Auditor, and used her political connections to ensure the Democratic field stayed mostly clear, enabling her to focus on the general election. She won the general with 49% of the vote, and would serve as Auditor for a term and a half.

As Auditor, Liz was known for her hardworking ethic and no-nonsense enforcement of regulations, as well as the vigor with which she hunted down corruption and waste. In 2006, with the Republican Senator up for reelection, Liz was seen as the best to take him down by Montana Democrats.

The election was hard-fought, and oftentimes ugly, with both candidates launching vicious broadsides at one another. In the end, Liz won by about 3,000 votes, driving up turnout in urban and suburban areas in Western Montana and losing big in the sparsely-populated East.

She was reelected in 2012 with 51% of the vote, and in 2018 with 57%. Her Senate tenure has been focused on cutting government spending, protection of National Parks, protecting small-scale agriculture, and protection of unions and worker's rights, as well as fighting the opioid and mental health crises in Montana.

Other Info: Married to Frank Gerhardt, a social worker in Missoula. The pair have 3 sons and 7 grandchildren.

Ideologically, she's a fairly socially liberal old-school Dem, with some New Deal tendencies--she thinks more money should be spent on public education, on roads and bridges, and thinks everybody should have access to broadband internet. She diverges from the party on issues like gay marriage (she thought it should've been left to the states), and gun control (absolutely not).

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Lavan Tiri

Last edited by Lavan Tiri on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

Bruke
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:42 am

Lavan Tiri wrote:Idk I had an idea

(Image)

NS Nation Name: Lavan Tiri

Character Name: Alice Sigrun Elizabeth Gerhardt

Character Gender: Female

Character Age: 60

Character Height: 5'5

Character Weight: 117 pounds

Character Position/Role/Job:
- Senator from Montana (2006-present)
- Montana State Auditor (2000-2006)
- Montana State Senator for the 48th District (1992-2000)
- Lawyer at Brumley, Blackhurst, and Whittaker (1983-2000)

Appearance:
(Image)

Character State of Origin: Montana

Character State of Residence: Montana

Main Strengths:
- Lifelong Montanan, strong connections locally
- Effective bipartisan negotiator
- Experienced public servant
- Blunt and plainspoken personality distinguishes her from other government officials and makes her more relatable
- Well-liked across the board in Montana

Main Weaknesses:
- Blunt and occasionally abrasive personality, combined with a tendency to make controversial statements, can offend people
- Somewhat alienated in her own party due to her strongly pro-gun stances
- Quietly disdainful of progressives, who are seeking someone to primary her
- Policies really don't excite people; she's a workaday, middle-of-the-road Dem. on most issues

Biography: Liz Damgaard was born August 19th, 1959, to Christian Damgaard and his wife Laura. Christian was a Hungarian immigrant, who had escaped Denmark with his father Mathias in 1943 as part of the Rescue of the Danish Jews. Christian and Mathias fled Sweden shortly after WWII ended, immigrating to the United States.

After arriving in the U.S., Mathias and Christian settled in North Dakota, where Mathias (a lawyer) began work at a law firm in Fargo. Christian, who was 13 when they arrived in the States, learnt English quickly, and enlisted in the army in 1950 at 18. He served in Korea through the entire Korean War, and after war's end he settled in Montana, studying dental medicine and eventually opening up a dentistry practice in Missoula in 1957. During this time, he met Laura Shelton, and the two were married in late 1958. In 1959, the pair had their first child, Lisbeth.

Liz was a bright, headstrong child, and did well in school, despite an incident where she punched a boy in the face for commenting on her breasts in 8th grade. She graduated in 1976, and began attending the Accounting program at University of Montana. In 1980, she was accepted to Harvard Law School, and graduated in 1983.

In 1983, Liz moved back to Missoula, and began working at Brumley, Blackhurst, and Whittaker, a law firm specializing in corporate finance. She would work there until 2000, rising steadily through the ranks.

In 1992, the State Senator for Montana's 48th District resigned from his job due to the death of his wife. Liz, being ambitious and young, decided to run for the Missoula-based seat. She won in a crowded primary field, then took the seat itself.

In the State Senate, Liz served as part of the Audit Committee, the Business, Labor, and Economic Affairs Committee, the Finance and Claims Committee, and the Rules Committee. Her main focuses as a legislator were government waste and public health infrastructure. In 1994, she was elected Minority Whip and gained the nickname The Enforcer for her ability to not only drag the Democrats in line, but to browbeat some Republicans into going along. In 1996, she was elected to a second term, and in 1997 her party chose her as Minority Leader.

In 2000, both Liz's Senate term and the State Auditor's term were coming to an end. Liz ran for Auditor, and used her political connections to ensure the Democratic field stayed mostly clear, enabling her to focus on the general election. She won the general with 49% of the vote, and would serve as Auditor for a term and a half.

As Auditor, Liz was known for her hardworking ethic and no-nonsense enforcement of regulations, as well as the vigor with which she hunted down corruption and waste. In 2006, with the Republican Senator up for reelection, Liz was seen as the best to take him down by Montana Democrats.

The election was hard-fought, and oftentimes ugly, with both candidates launching vicious broadsides at one another. In the end, Liz won by about 3,000 votes, driving up turnout in urban and suburban areas in Western Montana and losing big in the sparsely-populated East.

She was reelected in 2012 with 51% of the vote, and in 2018 with 57%. Her Senate tenure has been focused on cutting government spending, protection of National Parks, protecting small-scale agriculture, and protection of unions and worker's rights, as well as fighting the opioid and mental health crises in Montana.

Other Info: Married to Frank Gerhardt, a social worker in Missoula. The pair have 3 sons and 7 grandchildren.

Ideologically, she's a fairly socially liberal old-school Dem, with some New Deal tendencies--she thinks more money should be spent on public education, on roads and bridges, and thinks everybody should have access to broadband internet. She diverges from the party on issues like gay marriage (she thought it should've been left to the states), and gun control (absolutely not).

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Lavan Tiri

Another friend for Volek! Hooray!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse