NATION

PASSWORD

The Living Waste of Mekhallah (Low Fantasy/OOC/Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

IC launch date preference:

Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Tomorrow (Thursday)
40%
Friday
60%

Total votes : 5

Ovesa
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am

Here's my app! If I should make any adjustments, or if you have any suggestions as to how I can improve this app, feel free to let me know :)

Character Name: Hikmat Eayan
Character Race: Alrifaq
Character Description/Image: Her skin is the color of the deepest blue sapphires; her two vibrant, almond-shaped eyes are the color of moonstones. Her skin is completely covered in sky-blue robes covered with ornate golden embroidery, except for her face and hands. While her hair his completely covered, her robes have small openings for her undecorated, ram-like horns. Instead of feet, she has hooves.
Character Personality: Hikmat is a reserved woman, fulfilling her duty to the Sultanate and speaking only when needed. Calm and collected, she is a peacekeeper who is always seeking answers, whether she voices it or not.
Character Flaws: Her distance from the lives of others, combined with her overreliance on her foresight, mean that she can come off as aloof and uncaring, especially in personal matters. Whether she admits it or not, she's conflicted; there's only so much that locking herself away and viewing glimpses of the future can fix.
Character Bio/Backstory:The daughter of two Alrifaq merchants, Hikmat grew up in between two worlds; one of the human-dominated Mekhallah, and one of Alrifaq mysticism and tradition. From a young age, Hikmat experienced psychic visions, glimpses of futures that could be. When her ability was discovered by local officials, her parents sent her away to be trained as advisor within the Sultanate, in hopes that her daughter would have a brighter future.

Hikmat acclimated well to the life of an advisor. Thanks to her parent's wealth, she could afford a thorough education, learning everything from mathematics to philosophy. As time went on, she gradually had more control over her foresight. As an independent magi, she offered her advice to numerous officials throughout the Sultanate, and she earned a reputation for her success in doing so. Gradually, she grew more and more distant from her homeland, dropping her traditional beliefs and customs. Mekhallah was a faint memory, a dream-like recollection of an older self...

Until now. With the Living Waste encroaching, Hikmat has been sent to speak with the leaders of Mekhalllah, in hopes of finding a solution to the crisis. Caught in the crossfire between rival magi factions, she will have to tread carefully as she works to save the Sultanate. In her mind, the fate of Melkhallah, and the entire Sultanate, is resting on her shoulders. She will face a difficult decision; will she follow her orders, fulfilling the role she was given and waiting idly by? Or will she take a more active stance in facing the threat that is the encroaching waste?
Character Skills and profession: A magi and advisor to various officials within the Sultanate. She has foresight, a magical ability that allows her to glimpse into possible futures. She is a skilled, albeit distant, diplomat. Her magic is mostly restricted to lesser moon magic, although she has secretly studied the ways of sun magic as well.
Additional information: She appears to glide wherever she moves (in a metaphorical sense). She somewhat looks down on mystics who use tea leaves and other "unreliable forms" of scrying. She almost always wears blue, velvet-like gloves. She is supportive of the idea of training "low-born" mages to help the Sultanate. She may or may not have a soft spot for cats.
Last edited by Ovesa on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Character Name:Ja'kil Al-Hameed
Character Race:Human
Character Description/Image:Tanned white skin, black hair, green eyes, 5 foot 11 inches.
Character Personality:Reserved, studies alot, little friends, good reactions
Character Flaws:few social skills, conversation, no weapon combat
Character Bio/Backstory:Ja'kil was abandoned as a kid in the desert. He was found by a merchant and grew for many years well. When he was 17 years old, his adopted father was killed by bandits. He vowed revenge and killed the bandits with a group of people looking for vengence. He then found his sword which he would keep. A Jai-Anar saw his work and invited him to join the group which Ja'kil accepted.
Character Skills and profession:Jai-Anar, good in archery, great with sword
Additional information (any quirks, oddities, equipment, or distinguishing characteristics/mannerisms that make them themselves):Is dressed difernetly than most. Has few armor, with chest armor, shin greaves,. Has a helmet that came from somwhere else, that covers his nose and leaves only his eyes and below. Is rude, but that is always by accident

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Excellent, I've gone ahead and added a humble world map to the second post. Labeled should be notable geographical features, bodies of water, and each of the Sultanate's sheikdoms. Also (not sure how easy it is to see) I've added a brown-ish color to indicate the expanse of The Waste, let me know if that is difficult to see and I'll look at other options.

I'll start reviewing these early apps within the next few minutes!
Last edited by Lancearc on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Ovesa wrote:Here's my app! If I should make any adjustments, or if you have any suggestions as to how I can improve this app, feel free to let me know :)

Character Name: Hikmat Eayan
Character Race: Alrifaq
Character Description/Image: Her skin is the color of the deepest blue sapphires; her two vibrant, almond-shaped eyes are the color of moonstones. Her skin is completely covered in sky-blue robes covered with ornate golden embroidery, except for her face and hands. While her hair his completely covered, her robes have small openings for her undecorated, ram-like horns. Instead of feet, she has hooves.
Character Personality: Hikmat is a reserved woman, fulfilling her duty to the Sultanate and speaking only when needed. Calm and collected, she is a peacekeeper who is always seeking answers, whether she voices it or not.
Character Flaws: Her distance from the lives of others, combined with her overreliance on her foresight, mean that she can come off as aloof and uncaring, especially in personal matters. Whether she admits it or not, she's conflicted; there's only so much that locking herself away and viewing glimpses of the future can fix.
Character Bio/Backstory:The daughter of two Alrifaq merchants, Hikmat grew up in between two worlds; one of the human-dominated Mekhallah, and one of Alrifaq mysticism and tradition. From a young age, Hikmat experienced psychic visions, glimpses of futures that could be. When her ability was discovered by local officials, her parents sent her away to be trained as advisor within the Sultanate, in hopes that her daughter would have a brighter future.

Hikmat acclimated well to the life of an advisor. Thanks to her parent's wealth, she could afford a thorough education, learning everything from mathematics to philosophy. As time went on, she gradually had more control over her foresight. As an independent magi, she offered her advice to numerous officials throughout the Sultanate, and she earned a reputation for her success in doing so. Gradually, she grew more and more distant from her homeland, dropping her traditional beliefs and customs. Mekhallah was a faint memory, a dream-like recollection of an older self...

Until now. With the Living Waste encroaching, Hikmat has been sent to speak with the leaders of Mekhalllah, in hopes of finding a solution to the crisis. Caught in the crossfire between rival magi factions, she will have to tread carefully as she works to save the Sultanate. In her mind, the fate of Melkhallah, and the entire Sultanate, is resting on her shoulders. She will face a difficult decision; will she follow her orders, fulfilling the role she was given and waiting idly by? Or will she take a more active stance in facing the threat that is the encroaching waste?
Character Skills and profession: A magi and advisor to various officials within the Sultanate. She has foresight, a magical ability that allows her to glimpse into possible futures. She is a skilled, albeit distant, diplomat. Her magic is mostly restricted to lesser moon magic, although she has secretly studied the ways of sun magic as well.
Additional information: She appears to glide wherever she moves (in a metaphorical sense). She somewhat looks down on mystics who use tea leaves and other "unreliable forms" of scrying. She almost always wears blue, velvet-like gloves. She is supportive of the idea of training "low-born" mages to help the Sultanate. She may or may not have a soft spot for cats.

No big problems to address here, gladly accepted. Once I finish up the appropriate section of the OP later this evening we'll talk a bit more about the specifics of magical abilities, what's needed to tap into them, what they can specifically do and things like that!

Hikmat fits well into the introduction of a few central figures in the overall story, so I may reach out to you soon to see how you feel about being introduced alongside some of them.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Lancearc wrote:No big problems to address here, gladly accepted. Once I finish up the appropriate section of the OP later this evening we'll talk a bit more about the specifics of magical abilities, what's needed to tap into them, what they can specifically do and things like that!

Hikmat fits well into the introduction of a few central figures in the overall story, so I may reach out to you soon to see how you feel about being introduced alongside some of them.

Awesome! That's great to hear. I'll be sure to add in some more details once there's some more lore on how magic works.

If it fits well into the story, I'm more than happy to have her introduced alongside central characters :)

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Romextly wrote:Character Name:Ja'kil Al-Hameed
Character Description/Image:Tanned white skin, black hair, green eyes, 5 foot 11 inches.
Character Bio/Backstory:Ja'kil was abandoned as a kid in the desert. He was found by a merchant and grew for many years well. When he was 17 years old, his adopted father was killed by bandits. He vowed revenge and killed the bandits with a group of people looking for vengence. He then found his sword which he would keep. A Jai-Anar saw his work and invited him to join the group which Ja'kil accepted.
Additional information (any quirks, oddities, equipment, or distinguishing characteristics/mannerisms that make them themselves):Is dressed difernetly than most. Has few armor, with chest armor, shin greaves,. Has a helmet that came from somwhere else, that covers his nose and leaves only his eyes and below. Is rude, but that is always by accident

A few questions that are worth exploring as you flesh this out:

What exactly was Ja'kil studying under his adopted father? Was it in a formal institution? Where was Ja'kil when his father was ambushed? How did he track down the bandits? Did he fight them alone? How long did it take to find them? Why was a Jai-Anar nearby? Did Ja'kil study combat or was this learned over time? Why is his dress different than others? Where did he get his foreign helmet?

While it's always good to leave some mystique in your character for other players to uncover, these are some of the more basic things you can either answer outright or allude to, to give them a better idea of who your character is, what they are like, and what their place is in the world.

I'm willing to work with you as you expand on this but for now, I'm afraid I can't accept as-is.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Lancearc wrote:
Romextly wrote:Character Name:Ja'kil Al-Hameed

A few questions that are worth exploring as you flesh this out:

What exactly was Ja'kil studying under his adopted father? Was it in a formal institution? Where was Ja'kil when his father was ambushed? How did he track down the bandits? Did he fight them alone? How long did it take to find them? Why was a Jai-Anar nearby? Did Ja'kil study combat or was this learned over time? Why is his dress different than others? Where did he get his foreign helmet?

While it's always good to leave some mystique in your character for other players to uncover, these are some of the more basic things you can either answer outright or allude to, to give them a better idea of who your character is, what they are like, and what their place is in the world.

I'm willing to work with you as you expand on this but for now, I'm afraid I can't accept as-is.

Ja'kil was actually studying to be a merchant. It was informal and taught by the dad. Ja'kil was doing his first sale when his father was ambushed. He tracked down the bandits with the family members of the other merchants slayed. He fought with the same family member of the merchants. It took 2 weeks.
The Jai-Anar was hired to hit the bandits as they had hit a richer merchant a week after Ja'kil's parents. Ja'kil had been taught to fight with a sword for self defense and he was good as an accurate shooter with a sling. His dress was bought from a merchant who gave it before he raided the bandits. The helmet was the father's prized possession.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Romextly wrote:
Lancearc wrote:A few questions that are worth exploring as you flesh this out:

Ja'kil was actually studying to be a merchant. It was informal and taught by the dad. Ja'kil was doing his first sale when his father was ambushed. He tracked down the bandits with the family members of the other merchants slayed. He fought with the same family member of the merchants. It took 2 weeks.
The Jai-Anar was hired to hit the bandits as they had hit a richer merchant a week after Ja'kil's parents. Ja'kil had been taught to fight with a sword for self defense and he was good as an accurate shooter with a sling. His dress was bought from a merchant who gave it before he raided the bandits. The helmet was the father's prized possession.

TG'd a followup for your consideration! Once we hammer this out and get it applied to your app I'll revisit and see if it's acceptable.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Character Name:Ja'kil Al-Hameed
Character Bio/Backstory:Ja'kil was abandoned as a kid in the desert. He was found by a merchant and grew for many years well. Ja'kil was studying under his dad to be a merchant. He was also taught to fight with a sword for self-defense which he excelled in. Accounts by childhood friends also revealed that he had been good with a string and javelin. When he was 17 years old, when he was making his first sale, his adopted father was killed by bandits. He vowed revenge and joined the family members of the merchants slaughtered with his dad. It took 2 weeks but they found the bandits. During the attack, he then found his sword which he would keep. A Jai-Anar that was hired to kill the bandits by another merchant that was richer than his dad saw his work and invited him to join the group. Since Ja'kil had only wanted to be a merchant to please his father, and he did not want this to happen to other young kids, so he accepted. The armor and clothes he bought off a merchant from Jazallay. The foreign helmet that distinguishes him was his father's prized possession.

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Character Name: Narif al-Nassim ibn Chakaryat
Character Race: human
Character Description/Image: Narif is a human in his late teens with dark skin, brown curly hair, and a cheeky grin. He is thin and of average height, and he wears a cream long-sleeved undershirt, a green leather vest above that shirt, breeches, and a belt that carries all his stuff on it.
Character Personality: Quite friendly except around women, tolerant of other personalities and species except Nasrifaq, average in intelligence but with a great memory, a bit of a joker, self-confident except around women, has a strong sense of justice, likes being mysterious.
Character Flaws: Shy around women, hates Nasrifaq, has no sense of manners, can be prone to egocentric behavior, and his mysterious image sometimes gets in the way of making friends.
Character Bio/Backstory: Narif's grandparents moved to Alkhafat from an island in the Saber Sea. They assimilated in with the immigrant population, but they still remained among the lowest of the low.
Narif was born roughly eighteen years before this tale to Chakaryat al-Nassim ibn Husein and Alida al-Nassim bint Sharaya. Narif grew up playing with many poor young children in the streets of Alkhafat. When he was seven, Narif broke his ankle, leaving him with a small limp that would last the rest of his life.
When he was twelve, Narif met a girl named Bina, but he was always too shy to approach her, and Narif made a childish vow to never marry. He forgot that vow, but with more supernatural things coming into Mekhallah, vows might be becoming more binding than one thinks.
When Narif was almost fourteen, both of his parents died in an unauthorized magical experiment conducted by a neighboring family. Traumatized, Narif wandered the streets, going from odd job to odd job. Until he met Rehan Osmar, an Alrifaq who took Narif in.
Rehan taught Narif many things, including the religion Dzho'Drakt. A year later, Narif felt like he had learned everything there was to know from Rehan, and he abandoned the Alrifaq to live on the streets again.
Due to his insistence on not stealing food, Narif grew thin and much poorer than he had been in his life before, and he resorted to begging. But when he begged for food from a certain Alrifaq woman, he was offered a position in the Shrouded Star and Narif took it immediately.
Narif learned quickly the secrets of the organization. His great memory allowed him to learn all the secrets of the city. Now Narif is pretty self-aware about being a member of the Shrouded Star and cultivates a mysterious image.
Character Skills and profession: Narif al-Nassim is a member of the Shrouded Star, and he works as a guide for foreign visitors to the city. Knows all of the secrets and urban legends of Alkhafat, due to having a great memory. Can get around places quickly without being seen. Can blend into a crowd. Quick with a knife.
Additional information (any quirks, oddities, equipment, or distinguishing characteristics/mannerisms that make them themselves): Says "eysh" a lot. Wants a pet monkey. Has a bit of a limp from a childhood accident, but all it does if give him a certain kind of walk. Sometimes laughs at his own jokes. Often runs a hand through his curly hair. Sometimes says "Althaniq" instead of "Alrifaq".
Last edited by Voxija on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm

when u want cool character

but ur brain say no
My pronouns are they/them

Join Home of the Brave!
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?

John Holland wrote: John Holland
your mom

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Voxija wrote:Character Name: Narif al-Nassim ibn Chakaryat
Character Description/Image: Narif is a human in his late teens with dark skin, brown curly hair, and a cheeky grin. He is thin and of average height, and he wears a cream long-sleeved undershirt, a green leather vest above that shirt, breeches, and a belt that carries all his stuff on it.
Character Personality: Quite friendly except around women, tolerant of other personalities and species except Nasrifaq, average in intelligence but with a great memory, a bit of a joker, self-confident except around women, has a strong sense of justice, likes being mysterious.
Character Flaws: Shy around women, hates Nasrifaq, has no sense of manners, can be prone to egocentric behavior, and his mysterious image sometimes gets in the way of making friends.
Character Bio/Backstory: Narif's grandparents moved to Alkhafat from an island in the Saber Sea. They assimilated in with the immigrant population, but they still remained among the lowest of the low.
Narif was born roughly eighteen years before this tale to Chakaryat al-Nassim ibn Husein and Alida al-Nassim bint Sharaya. Narif grew up playing with many poor young children in the streets of Alkhafat. When he was seven, Narif broke his ankle, leaving him with a small limp that would last the rest of his life.
When he was twelve, Narif met a girl named Bina, but he was always too shy to approach her, and Narif made a childish vow to never marry. He forgot that vow, but with more supernatural things coming into Mekhallah, vows might be becoming more binding than one thinks.
When Narif was almost fourteen, both of his parents died in an unauthorized magical experiment conducted by a neighboring family. Traumatized, Narif wandered the streets, going from odd job to odd job. Until he met Rehan Osmar, an Alrifaq who took Narif in.
Rehan taught Narif many things, including the religion Dzho'Drakt. A year later, Narif felt like he had learned everything there was to know from Rehan, and he abandoned the Alrifaq to live on the streets again.
Due to his insistence on not stealing food, Narif grew thin and much poorer than he had been in his life before, and he resorted to begging. But when he begged for food from a certain Alrifaq woman, he was offered a position in the Shrouded Star and Narif took it immediately.
Narif learned quickly the secrets of the organization. His great memory allowed him to learn all the secrets of the city. Now Narif is pretty self-aware about being a member of the Shrouded Star and cultivates a mysterious image.
Character Skills and profession: Narif al-Nassim is a member of the Shrouded Star, and he works as a guide for foreign visitors to the city. Knows all of the secrets and urban legends of Alkhafat, due to having a great memory. Can get around places quickly without being seen. Can blend into a crowd. Quick with a knife.
Additional information (any quirks, oddities, equipment, or distinguishing characteristics/mannerisms that make them themselves): Says "eysh" a lot. Wants a pet monkey. Has a bit of a limp from a childhood accident, but all it does if give him a certain kind of walk. Sometimes laughs at his own jokes. Often runs a hand through his curly hair. Sometimes says "Althaniq" instead of "Alrifaq".

This is in a good place! A few character hooks that could be interesting to explore and that I have some questions about:

Why exactly does he hate the Nasrifaq? There are a myriad of reasons of course, including simple bigotry, I was just curious. Why did Narif insist on not stealing food during his low point? Was this a point of personal honor, something he learned from someone? Does Narif follow Dzho'Drakt to this day, or did he simply learn about it? How has his parents' death affected his view on magic?

Those aren't necessarily issues, so I'm willing to accept this! Although I'd ask that you break up your paragraphs with a blank line just to make them easier for people to parse through than a block of indented text :p

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Lavan Tiri wrote:when u want cool character

but ur brain say no

Reboot time

If you have some concepts you're kicking around but are unsure of I'd be glad to lend a hand in fleshing some of them out.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Is add stuff to app.

Character Name: Narif al-Nassim ibn Chakaryat
Character Flaws: Shy around women, hates Nasrifaq because it seemed like everyone he met hated Nasrifaq, has no sense of manners, can be prone to egocentric behavior, and his mysterious image sometimes gets in the way of making friends.

Narif was born roughly eighteen years before this tale to Chakaryat al-Nassim ibn Husein and Alida al-Nassim bint Sharaya. His parents raised Narif to have a great sense of justice and never steal. Narif grew up playing with many poor young children in the streets of Alkhafat. When he was seven, Narif broke his ankle, leaving him with a small limp that would last the rest of his life.

Rehan taught Narif many things, including the religion Dzho'Drakt, which he follows to this day. A year later, Narif felt like he had learned everything there was to know from Rehan, and he abandoned the Alrifaq to live on the streets again.

Additional information (any quirks, oddities, equipment, or distinguishing characteristics/mannerisms that make them themselves): Says "eysh" a lot. Wants a pet monkey. Has a bit of a limp from a childhood accident, but all it does is give him a certain kind of walk. Sometimes laughs at his own jokes. Often runs a hand through his curly hair. Sometimes says "Althaniq" instead of "Alrifaq".

Will not say if parent's death make Narif think different on magic. Maybe reveal later in RP. Also, I relate Nasrifaq and Alrifaq to Jew (in good way).
Last edited by Voxija on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:07 pm

OP can put new app info into Dramatis Personae entry.

Also, I considered apping as a Nasrifaq, but I decided on the other idea instead. Just saying.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Added in some basic info about the specific mechanics of magic, pretty broad stuff on how it's wielded and what it's actually known to do. Of course as questions arise I'll answer!

Also going to add your new app info, Vox.

Ormata
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ormata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:08 pm

Will other nonhuman races be available?

EDIT: Also, might I ask why no RP samples required for the Application? Or an age and gender?
Last edited by Ormata on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:13 pm

I'll be sure to update my app now that there's new lore regarding magic. By the way, the more section mentioned that there are magical universities of sorts. Where would those be located?

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Ormata wrote:Will other nonhuman races be available?

EDIT: Also, might I ask why no RP samples required for the Application? Or an age and gender?

These are the only nonhuman races that exist in the world.

I don't require an RP sample to keep newcomers from being intimidated or feeling as though they'll be rejected, but there are those who I am asking to run their posts by me first before making them official to preserve a good experience for the other, more seasoned players. Age and gender are kind of superfluous details if the character's bio is properly explored.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Ovesa wrote:I'll be sure to update my app now that there's new lore regarding magic. By the way, the more section mentioned that there are magical universities of sorts. Where would those be located?

The magical academies are concentrated in the west, with one each at Tawira Mundh, Tawira Rat and Maladjaz. (Also responding to your TG ;) )

Ormata
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ormata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Lancearc wrote:

I don't require an RP sample to keep newcomers from being intimidated or feeling as though they'll be rejected, but there are those who I am asking to run their posts by me first before making them official to preserve a good experience for the other, more seasoned players. Age and gender are kind of superfluous details if the character's bio is properly explored.

Ah, I see.

Rodez
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodez » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:00 pm

Character Name: Arukhatai 'Arukh' Tansumiran
Character Description/Image: Arukh stands at a little less than average height, with a stocky but not enormous frame. His skin, tan and weathered from years spent in the deserts, is nonetheless still noticeably paler than most inhabitants of the Sultanate. A narrow and angular face with high cheekbones marks him almost immediately as one of the northern steppe nomads, though of what specific variety no one but his own people can tell. Arukh's eyes are hazel, but of so light a shade that they almost appear golden in certain lights. In typical steppe fashion, his long black hair extends to his shoulders but is shaved bald at the crown of his head, save for broad lock that descends over the brow. Religious charms from the faith of the Eternal Sky are tied into his hair around the ears.

Character Personality: Arukh likes to posture as being aloof and haughty - a soldier's soldier, if you will. He's not inclined to be particularly friendly to strangers, or to be the one that initiates conversation. In truth, though, his taciturn shell is more a reflection of his fear of being correctly analyzed or evaluated than it is a desire to to push people away. Once trust is established, the nomad warrior can be quite warm, and if friendship is born he may prove suicidal in his loyalty. Even so, he still likes to put arrows in people who annoy him too much.

Character Flaws: Arukh has no formal education of any kind. He's not stupid of course - one of the Zalabelkh cannot survive nearly forty winters by being an idiot - but any situation that requires reading, writing, or other scholarly knowledge puts Arukh at a distinct disadvantage. He knows a dozen different forms of archery, half the stars in the sky, and every stream, lake and oasis on the northern frontier; but ask him to put pen to paper or declaim poetry and he will be at a loss. Actually, he won't even know what you're talking about.

Character Bio/Backstory:
For the past two hundred years, the Zalabelkh Confederation has lived an uneasy existence along the northwest frontier of the Sultanate, where the deserts end and the steppes begin. Once strong enough to seriously threaten the sheikhdoms of Mekhallah and Mekhalga, the Zalabelkh, who are comprised of a dozen or more distinct nomadic or semi-nomadic tribes, were convinced after decades of inconclusive warfare with Jalema to enter into a tributary relationship with the Sultan. In this way, the tribes could retain all of their practical political autonomy. All they had to do in return was fight off potential raiders to the north and send a tribute of boys and horses for the army annually.

This last item was difficult for the Zalabelkh to accept. Two tribes even broke off from the Confederation rather than see their third and fourth sons be taken by the southern settled folk. The others eventually grew used to the arrangement.

Arukhatai was the third son of Toghonemur, who was gulakhan, or war-leader, of the Tansumiran tribe. Like all other Zalabelkh children, he learned to ride before he could walk properly, and like all of their boys, mastered the bow before he learned anything further. It seemed as if he would have a future as a proud warrior - which was not untrue. Only the banner under which he fought changed.

When Arukh was eleven, the Sultan's men came for their tribute again. Though his heart broke to do so, Toghonemur had to set an example for the rest of his tribe, so he offered up his third son for the army. Part of six hundred Zalabelkh children and fifteen hundred horses taken that year, Arukh was spirited away from the steppes he had always known, to the strange southern land under the punishing rule of the desert sun: Jalema.

Taken to the capital of Tawira Mundh for training, Arukh and the other boys were soon incorporated into the elite Janissary Corps. He soon learned from his officers -many of whom were nomads themselves- that riding, tracking and archery, used to hunt deer on the steppe as a boy, were just as easily applied against rebels and bandits threatening the Sultan's rule.

Trained and honed until the age of seventeen, the boys were commissioned into fresh regiments. Arukh found himself a horse archer in the 9th Janissaries. Deployed to and from dangerous frontiers and rebellious trouble spots as they were needed, war became their life. This was Arukh's life for twelve years. His skill at arms saw him rise in rank over the years to korbashi - commander of a platoon of about forty cavalry.

His life took another turn when, in a desperate battle against rebels in Ji-Alsim, Arukh inadvertently saved the life of Prince Ekram, fourth son of the Sultan, by dragging the wounded royal onto his own horse and riding to safety through swarms of the enemy.

The feat saw him rewarded with a position in the Imperial Guard - where only the most distinguished janissaries served - where he would be posted in Tawira Mundh. If he served honorably at the Sultan's side for a handful of years, he would receive a further promotion and return to the regular army as a commander, or retire with a fat pension if he so chose. In either case, he would be set for the remainder of his life.

Arukh did not serve honorably. Guards, especially Imperial Guards, are not supposed to fall in love. This is precisely what happened between him and Sabiha, a concubine of the vizier's personal harem.

For two years, they carried on undiscovered. Arukh enjoyed the time of his life amongst the walled gardens and palaces of the capital. His duties as a protector of the Sultan were carried out (seemingly) without incident.

But, as these sorts of things always are, the affair was discovered. In his off-duty hours, an Imperial Guard could avail himself of the very best pleasure houses in Tawira Mundh, but so help him if he embarrassed the vizier by carrying on with one of his concubines. Had the royal harem itself been interfered with, Arukh's life would have certainly been forfeit. As it was, only his relationship with Prince Ekram spared his life at all. The court found it sufficient to expel the ill-mannered nomad from the Guard and the Janissary Corps, to strip him of his promised pension, to ship his lover off to a faraway province, and to exile the man forever from the capital.

That was four years ago. In the time since, Arukh has scraped out a threadbare living by serving as a caravan guard across nearly the whole length and breadth of the Sultanate. It's a rough life, but it keeps his belly (mostly) full and gets him piss-drunk sometimes, so it isn't devoid of benefits.

This was never what he wanted, though: to be a no-name archer that caravaneers can order about like a dog. Having become lonely and adrift, he has contemplated returning to the steppe, but is unsure what he would do if he did. Would his own father even recognize him? Did any of his brothers or sisters still live?

Oh well. Those are questions for tomorrow. Today the latest caravan has deposited Arukh in Alkhafat. A bottle of araq would be nice about now.

Character Skills and profession: An experienced soldier - a horse archer, specifically. Arukh has spent most of his life sitting atop a horse and so has come to see the animals as an extension of himself, as all Zalabelkh should. Before his ignominious downfall, he had acquired some fame in the Janissary Corps for his skill with a bow - hitting a human target at 300 yards at full gallop was something an archer of his skill was expected to be able to do. Arukh can handle a sword or lance adequately enough, but the bow is his true calling.
Additional information: Arukh was allowed to retain his prized Janissary horse bow and quiver of 30 arrows. His next most beloved possession, and possibly only friend, is his horse, Jamugha, a grey steppe pony who is often mocked for his smaller size, but is swift and ideal for the type of warfare that Arukh's people wage. Additional items include a fairly standard cavalry saber, a coterie of hunting knives and several days' worth of field rations, as well as the cured fur attire and steppe hat that he travels in.
Last edited by Rodez on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Mesrane (Mes), now I'm back
Joined April 2014

Go Cubs, Go!

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Rodez wrote:Character Name: Arukhatai 'Arukh' Tansumiran
Character Description/Image: Arukh stands at a little less than average height, with a stocky but not enormous frame. His skin, tan and weathered from years spent in the deserts, is nonetheless still noticeably paler than most inhabitants of the Sultanate. A narrow and angular face with high cheekbones marks him almost immediately as one of the northern steppe nomads, though of what specific variety no one but his own people can tell. Arukh's eyes are hazel, but of so light a shade that they almost appear golden in certain lights. In typical steppe fashion, his long black hair extends to his shoulders but is shaved bald at the crown of his head, save for broad lock that descends over the brow. Religious charms from the faith of the Eternal Sky are tied into his hair around the ears.

Character Personality: Arukh likes to posture as being aloof and haughty - a soldier's soldier, if you will. He's not inclined to be particularly friendly to strangers, or to be the one that initiates conversation. In truth, though, his taciturn shell is more a reflection of his fear of being correctly analyzed or evaluated than it is a desire to to push people away. Once trust is established, the nomad warrior can be quite warm, and if friendship is born he may prove suicidal in his loyalty. Even so, he still likes to put arrows in people who annoy him too much.

Character Flaws: Arukh has no formal education of any kind. He's not stupid of course - one of the Zalabelkh cannot survive nearly forty winters by being an idiot - but any situation that requires reading, writing, or other scholarly knowledge puts Arukh at a distinct disadvantage. He knows a dozen different forms of archery, half the stars in the sky, and every stream, lake and oasis on the northern frontier; but ask him to put pen to paper or declaim poetry and he will be at a loss. Actually, he won't even know what you're talking about.

Character Bio/Backstory:
For the past two hundred years, the Zalabelkh Confederation has lived an uneasy existence along the northwest frontier of the Sultanate, where the deserts end and the steppes begin. Once strong enough to seriously threaten the sheikhdoms of Mekhallah and Mekhalga, the Zalabelkh, who are comprised of a dozen or more distinct nomadic or semi-nomadic tribes, were convinced after decades of inconclusive warfare with Jalema to enter into a tributary relationship with the Sultan. In this way, the tribes could retain all of their practical political autonomy. All they had to do in return was fight off potential raiders to the north and send a tribute of boys and horses for the army annually.

This last item was difficult for the Zalabelkh to accept. Two tribes even broke off from the Confederation rather than see their third and fourth sons be taken by the southern settled folk. The others eventually grew used to the arrangement.

Arukhatai was the third son of Toghonemur, who was gulakhan, or war-leader, of the Tansumiran tribe. Like all other Zalabelkh children, he learned to ride before he could walk properly, and like all of their boys, mastered the bow before he learned anything further. It seemed as if he would have a future as a proud warrior - which was not untrue. Only the banner under which he fought changed.

When Arukh was eleven, the Sultan's men came for their tribute again. Though his heart broke to do so, Toghonemur had to set an example for the rest of his tribe, so he offered up his third son for the army. Part of six hundred Zalabelkh children and fifteen hundred horses taken that year, Arukh was spirited away from the steppes he had always known, to the strange southern land under the punishing rule of the desert sun: Jalema.

Taken to the capital of Tawira Mundh for training, Arukh and the other boys were soon incorporated into the elite Janissary Corps. He soon learned from his officers -many of whom were nomads themselves- that riding, tracking and archery, used to hunt deer on the steppe as a boy, were just as easily applied against rebels and bandits threatening the Sultan's rule.

Trained and honed until the age of seventeen, the boys were commissioned into fresh regiments. Arukh found himself a horse archer in the 9th Janissaries. Deployed to and from dangerous frontiers and rebellious trouble spots as they were needed, war became their life. This was Arukh's life for twelve years. His skill at arms saw him rise in rank over the years to korbashi - commander of a platoon of about forty cavalry.

His life took another turn when, in a desperate battle against rebels in Ji-Alsim, Arukh inadvertently saved the life of Prince Ekram, fourth son of the Sultan, by dragging the wounded royal onto his own horse and riding to safety through swarms of the enemy.

The feat saw him rewarded with a position in the Imperial Guard - where only the most distinguished janissaries served - where he would be posted in Tawira Mundh. If he served honorably at the Sultan's side for a handful of years, he would receive a further promotion and return to the regular army as a commander, or retire with a fat pension if he so chose. In either case, he would be set for the remainder of his life.

Arukh did not serve honorably. Guards, especially Imperial Guards, are not supposed to fall in love. This is precisely what happened between him and Sabiha, a concubine of the vizier's personal harem.

For two years, they carried on undiscovered. Arukh enjoyed the time of his life amongst the walled gardens and palaces of the capital. His duties as a protector of the Sultan were carried out (seemingly) without incident.

But, as these sorts of things always are, the affair was discovered. In his off-duty hours, an Imperial Guard could avail himself of the very best pleasure houses in Tawira Mundh, but so help him if he embarrassed the vizier by carrying on with one of his concubines. Had the royal harem itself been interfered with, Arukh's life would have certainly been forfeit. As it was, only his relationship with Prince Ekram spared his life at all. The court found it sufficient to expel the ill-mannered nomad from the Guard and the Janissary Corps, to strip him of his promised pension, to ship his lover off to a faraway province, and to exile the man forever from the capital.

That was four years ago. In the time since, Arukh has scraped out a threadbare living by serving as a caravan guard across nearly the whole length and breadth of the Sultanate. It's a rough life, but it keeps his belly (mostly) full and gets him piss-drunk sometimes, so it isn't devoid of benefits.

This was never what he wanted, though: to be a no-name archer that caravaneers can order about like a dog. Having become lonely and adrift, he has contemplated returning to the steppe, but is unsure what he would do if he did. Would his own father even recognize him? Did any of his brothers or sisters still live?

Oh well. Those are questions for tomorrow. Today the latest caravan has deposited Arukh in Alkhafat. A bottle of araq would be nice about now.

Character Skills and profession: An experienced soldier - a horse archer, specifically. Arukh has spent most of his life sitting atop a horse and so has come to see the animals as an extension of himself, as all Zalabelkh should. Before his ignominious downfall, he had acquired some fame in the Janissary Corps for his skill with a bow - hitting a human target at 300 yards at full gallop was something an archer of his skill was expected to be able to do. Arukh can handle a sword or lance adequately enough, but the bow is his true calling.
Additional information: Arukh was allowed to retain his prized Janissary horse bow and quiver of 30 arrows. His next most beloved possession, and possibly only friend, is his horse, Jamugha, a grey steppe pony who is often mocked for his smaller size, but is swift and ideal for the type of warfare that Arukh's people wage. Additional items include a fairly standard cavalry saber, a coterie of hunting knives and several days' worth of field rations, as well as the cured fur attire and steppe hat that he travels in.

Wonderfully done, no trouble here at all (and a fun example of worldbuilding which expands the setting without disrupting any other concepts).

I'll add Arukh to our cast!

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Lancearc wrote:The magical academies are concentrated in the west, with one each at Tawira Mundh, Tawira Rat and Maladjaz. (Also responding to your TG ;) )

Awesome! Thank you so much for your clarification. I'll be sure to update my app soon :)
Rodez wrote:-snip-

Awesome app! Very well written, and it expands a lot on the current lore. Excellent work! Can't wait to see Arukh in action :)

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Lancearc wrote:

These are good answers. Hard at work on my app - should be up in the next hour.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse