NATION

PASSWORD

Aftermath of Empire [closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grand Indochina
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Indochina » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:20 pm

This is a really nice alternate history, remind me of The Years of Salt And Rice. I have a question, what happen to the world during the Black Plague ?
"Heretics, heretics everywhere.”

Grand Indochina
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Indochina » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Imperial State of Zhounan (咒南帝制).
Application

From bloods and tears of many, this nation was built.

DEMOGRAPHICS
(how many people your country has, where they live, what religion/culture/language they follow, any notable trends in immigration/emigration, etc)

• Demonym : Zhounanren (咒南人) or Nanren (南人).

• Population : Approximately 196,000,000 peoples.

• Language : In Zhounan, citizens are required to mastery at least two languages by the time their secondary education complete. In this requirement, they must speak fluently a variant of Chinese called the Zhounan Dialect (咒南話) as their main language, follow by their secondary, which is a foreign language of their own choice.

• Ethnicity : There are four ethic groups that constituted 70 percent of Zhounan's population, first is the Han (漢), second is the Yue (越), follow third is the Jin (金) and lastly is the Dai (傣). The rest of the population are many ethic minorities, some are foreigners migrated to this land, while others have been living here since the ancient.

DIPLOMACY
(the geopolitical situation of your country, any notable alliances/rivalries, trade relations, your military capabilities and typical deployment, etc)

ECONOMY
(how developed your country is, what its key industries are, what kind of economic policy your government follows, etc)

I will include this part in the Politics Section.

GEOGRAPHY
(at the very minimum there should be a description of your borders; you may also wish to discuss administrative divisions, natural environment, etc)

Resides on the eastern portion of the Annamite Peninsula is Zhounan, a country covered in lush jungle, hilly terrains, large swamps and unforgettably pretty beaches. There are two kinds of season in this place, a dry one that begins from April to October and a rainy one that starts from November to the end of March, also the climate may vary from provinces to provinces. About temperature... the best description is hot, awfully hot all year around, usually ranges between 24°C to 27°C (the highest record is 32°C).

Region and Numeration :

• 01 - Wanchun (萬春).
  • 02 - Suiyuan (綏遠).
  • 03 - Chongai (寵愛).
  • 04 - Longyou (隴右).
  • 05 - Guiling (貴領).
  • 06 - Jiannan (劍南).
  • 07 - Minghui (明慧).
  • 08 - Mianyou (綿友).
  • 09 - Huainan (淮南).
  • 10 - Xinxian (新縣).

The entirety of Zhounan are organized into 10 Regions, 70 Prefectures and 12 Municipalities. Prefectures are highly autonomous subdivisions with it's own identity, military and charter. On the other hand, Municipalities are special subdivisions directly control by the Imperial government. Fuchun (富春), the capital city of Zhouan is an example of a Municipality.

HISTORY

Ancient History :

There are very few surviving historical records of Zhounan inside the Imperial Erudite Collection, most has been lost due to many unfortunate events, leaving generations of Zhounanren ignorance about their past. Some historians believe that the origin of Zhounan can be trace back to 221 BC, when the Qin Dynasty was deepened in a bloody civil war. Took advantage of the situation, the governor-general of Jiaozhi Commandery named Zhao Tuo (趙佗) decided to throw his own rebellion, which quickly gained supports from other Commanderies and by 204 BC, he proclaimed himself as King Wu of Nanyue, the founder of Zhao Dynasty.

POLITICS
(discuss the structure and legitimacy of your government, how stable your state is, norms of governance, ideology, etc)
Last edited by Grand Indochina on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 am, edited 24 times in total.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Quite interesting.

Also: ROMA INVICTA EST
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Grand Indochina wrote:This is a really nice alternate history, remind me of The Years of Salt And Rice. I have a question, what happen to the world during the Black Plague ?

The world population was devastated, some of the more overextended empires shattered, the standard for peasants and labourers temporarily rose. Nothing terribly unusual.

The Pearl River
Envoy

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pearl River » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:54 am

Finished most of my app, please review it. just need to really work on my history since i’m planning to be like either the UK or the Netherlands equivalent of the area

Really wished i started my app on like the ten kingdoms five dynasty period instead of the fall of the Han
Last edited by The Pearl River on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 am

Did the Asian powers colonize Europe? (instead of the other way around?)

I had this idea of the Viet colonizing France, and I just wanted to know if it'd work or make sense.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

"Peace is a lie." ~ Sith Code (excerpt)

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

Grand Indochina
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Indochina » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:16 am

By the way Plzen, do you need a cartographer ?

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 am

Grand Indochina wrote:By the way Plzen, do you need a cartographer ?

I would certainly appreciate the assistance of one.

I’m afraid that my computer is at the repair shop, and I’m not going to even try to review applications on my tiny mobile screen; will get on things hopefully in a day or two.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:16 am

I was making a Viet app, and this guy now claims the Viet? Wow.

I already had my eyes on the Viet (Vietnam w/ the lands of Laos, Cambodia/Khmer Rouge, and both North/South Viet), so...
Last edited by HypErcApitAl on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 am

I'll keep an eye.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:36 am

Hypercapital wrote:I was making a Viet app, and this guy now claims the Viet? Wow.

I already had my eyes on the Viet (Vietnam w/ the lands of Laos, Cambodia/Khmer Rouge, and both North/South Viet), so...

I don't think you've reserved either bud

Anyway I should cut the reservation into the western half of Indonesia plus Malaysia, Brunei, Pattani, Andaman and Nicobar, as well as Palawan and Mindanao anyway (but I should keep Papua though)

The concept would be a descendant of the Srivijaya Empire (a largely Malay state with significant Dayak, Sundanese, Batak, Nias, and Visayan minority)
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am

Sarderia wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:I was making a Viet app, and this guy now claims the Viet? Wow.

Anyway I should cut the reservation into the western half of Indonesia plus Malaysia, Brunei, Pattani, Andaman and Nicobar, as well as Palawan and Mindanao anyway (but I should keep Papua though)

The concept would be a descendant of the Srivijaya Empire (a largely Malay state with significant Dayak, Sundanese, Batak, Nias, and Visayan minority)

I didn't reserve, but I mentioned I was looking at it.

Vietnam/Laos is interesting. I'm not sure about Cambodia. (I could do like irl and milk them for Milk and the Agrarian Industry/Textiles/etc)

If I do app, I don't know what I'll do w/ my Viet. (Vietnam, VietCong, Saigon, whatsoever you'd call it)

I had this idea of the Viet colonizing France, and I just wanted to know if it'd work or make sense.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 am

Hypercapital wrote:

Rome and Britain weren’t colonised by external powers; the rest of Europe were.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 am

Plzen wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:

Rome and Britain weren’t colonised by external powers; the rest of Europe were.

Thanks. Should I post my Viet WIP? I'm very far w/ it, there's just some things I'm trying to sharpen (like Diplomacy, the rest of my History, and my Demographics. Everything else is pretty-much locked down, though since I'm doing something w/ Saigon, I have a surprise.)

I feel like the rule-of-thumb is the "first come; first serve" basis. (btw I'm not salty over it, I'm just interested in the Viet. I don't really care about any other country. imho I see the Viet as a France analogue, so I see them as very important to the Asian dynamic. I couldn't care less about Thailand/Siam, and I don't claim that land.)

China is a Germany analog, The Philippines is a Spain analog, Japan is a UK analog, and Korea is either an Italy or Portugal analog. I don't even know what analog Thailand is, though.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

The Pearl River
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pearl River » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 am

Sarderia wrote:

Sorry bub, already claimed the Filipino archipelago under the Min confederation

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:25 am

The Pearl River wrote:
Sarderia wrote:I don't think you've reserved either bud

Sorry bub, already claimed the Filipino archipelago under the Min confederation

Very unfortunate. I think I'll switch it with Sulawesi instead.

Also, I'm sure they already had space colonies in 2401 - in that case, i might go with one of the Moon's mares, or Phobos and Deimos.
Last edited by Sarderia on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:32 am

Sarderia wrote:Also, I'm sure they already had space colonies in 2401 - in that case, i might go with one of the Moon's mares, or Phobos and Deimos.

The Confucian year one is over five centuries before the Christian one, so 2401 Confucian is something like 1840 AD - give or take a decade or two because I don’t have a calculator right now. The technology is information-age, comparable to IRL.
Last edited by Plzen on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:37 am

Plzen wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Also, I'm sure they already had space colonies in 2401 - in that case, i might go with one of the Moon's mares, or Phobos and Deimos.

The Confucian year one is over five centuries before the Christian one, so 2401 Confucian is something like 1840 AD - give or take a decade or two because I don’t have a calculator right now. The technology is information-age, comparable to IRL.

Ah, I see. You might want to tone the technology level a bit, though - maybe comparable to US Civil War era, or at most World War I era technology. Information Age technology seems a bit too advanced.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 am

Sarderia wrote:
Plzen wrote:The Confucian year one is over five centuries before the Christian one, so 2401 Confucian is something like 1840 AD - give or take a decade or two because I don’t have a calculator right now. The technology is information-age, comparable to IRL.

Ah, I see. You might want to tone the technology level a bit, though - maybe comparable to US Civil War era, or at most World War I era technology. Information Age technology seems a bit too advanced.

Damn. I'm confuzzled. I thought Confucian would be 10,000-something irl and that this RP was in the far-future. (like 2300s or 2400s)
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:43 am

Hypercapital wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Ah, I see. You might want to tone the technology level a bit, though - maybe comparable to US Civil War era, or at most World War I era technology. Information Age technology seems a bit too advanced.

Damn. I'm confuzzled. I thought Confucian would be 10,000-something irl and that this RP was in the far-future. (like 2300s or 2400s)

Apparently 2020 AD is the year 4718 in the Chinese calendar. So 2401 Chinese calendar would be 297 B.C (2020-4718+2401)

EDIT: That came from a quick google search that suggested the Chinese calendae was made in 2698 BC. However, from the sites I've searched it seems that the Chinese calendar dates in cycles of years (about 12 or so years, symbolized by animals e.g. Year of the Rat, etc.) so I cannot pinpoint an exact date (of when the Chinese calendar started)
Last edited by Sarderia on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Pearl River
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pearl River » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 am

Sarderia wrote:
Hypercapital wrote:

Apparently 2020 AD is the year 4718 in the Chinese calendar. So 2401 Chinese calendar would be 297 B.C (2020-4718+2401)

B.C?

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:52 am

The Pearl River wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Apparently 2020 AD is the year 4718 in the Chinese calendar. So 2401 Chinese calendar would be 297 B.C (2020-4718+2401)

B.C?

I used this site as reference.

EDIT: It should be 296 B.C according to the site. I misread the 2020 equivalent of the Chinese calendar (2020 A.D is 4717 AH)
Last edited by Sarderia on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 am

Sarderia wrote:
The Pearl River wrote:B.C?

I used this site as reference.

Chinese Time gives me a headache. just use Greg everywhere and be done. OP should make this 2401 or whatever Anno Domini.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 am

Hypercapital wrote:

Chinese Time gives me a headache. just use Greg everywhere and be done. OP should make this 2401 or whatever Anno Domini.

That is because the Chinese calendar is a Lunar calendar. The Gregorian is a Solar one, so it has a fixed start date (1st of January). Additionally, it gets more confusing because the Chinese calendar has different start dates (Lunar New Year) and is identified by year names (e.g. Wood Ox, Fire Rat) instead of year dates.

If we're going to go with the Gregorian calendar I'll definetly gonna snatch a piece of the moon tho :p

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:08 am

Sarderia wrote:Ah, I see. You might want to tone the technology level a bit, though - maybe comparable to US Civil War era, or at most World War I era technology. Information Age technology seems a bit too advanced.

There’s no inherent reason why the information era has to take place at the same time in an alternate history scenario.

IRL, the fall of Rome is conventionally dated 476 AD, and that kicked off an age of migrations, the dark age, fundamentalist monarchies, etc, all of which were arguably a necessary background to the renaissance. In this RP, the fall of the Han empire - 221 AD - is the catalyst to all this, so the “tech-scale”, so to speak, has been hiked up by a century and a half.

Hypercapital wrote:Chinese Time gives me a headache. just use Greg everywhere and be done. OP should make this 2401 or whatever Anno Domini.

Why would the world use the Christian calendar in a scenario when Christian Europe is an underdeveloped backwater?

Sarderia wrote:That is because the Chinese calendar is a Lunar calendar. The Gregorian is a Solar one, so it has a fixed start date (1st of January). Additionally, it gets more confusing because the Chinese calendar has different start dates (Lunar New Year) and is identified by year names (e.g. Wood Ox, Fire Rat) instead of year dates.

Because of the cyclic nature of the Sinitic calendar, it wasn’t until quite recently that a “year one” for continual numbering became a thing in it. There were a lot of proposals for what year “year one” should be, and of those proposals I’m using the birth of Confucius - 551 BC - as “year one”.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse