NATION

PASSWORD

An Age of Dragons and Dragon Hunters: IC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

An Age of Dragons and Dragon Hunters: IC

Postby Revlona » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:45 am

The Village of Luivani
Northern Coches

Guardsman Emory Favrson leaned heavily on his spear as the late afternoon sun slowly sank beneath the horizon. He only had an hour left in his watch and gleefully looked forward to falling into his cot and getting some shuteye. His unadorned steel helm and ringmail was heavy after an entire day of use and it was practically begging to be taken off and hung up for the night.

Emory's head jerked up from were it was sinking into a dozing state, his eyes snapping open. Had he heard something? His was instantly alert, his eyes scanning the open field to the south of the town for any movement. Their were sighting of adders in the past week and they had been known to raid small villages when hunting in the wilds grew tough.

A minute went by without any other sounds and Emory let out a deep breath he didn't realize he was holding. His eyes kept scanning the field that he knew an Adder could easily hide in thanks to the fading light. That was of course when he heard the roar.

His head snapped up, eyes searching the distant horizon for any sign of what he hopped wasn't there. In the distance, maybe a mile off, the silhouette of mans greatest enemy was bearing down on the sleepy little town. Its motive unknown, the town held no great amount of gold, it'd be suicide to do so, basically inviting dragon attacks. Emory had just reached the great alarm bell, intent on ringing it and hopefully giving the town some warning when the air above him shook and the great Mountain Red belched Fiery death into the town below.

1 Day later
Coche City
Hunters Hall

Arcoss stared down at the report in his hand, the same dragon had struck twice in the same month, he knew it needed to be hunted down. He looked over to his orderly and spoke swiftly, "Gather my team, have them meet me at the town gates tomorrow morning. Inform them to bring all gear they should need to hunt a Mountain red." He then stood from behind his oak desk and walked over to a map of the Kingdom of Coche that was displayed upon the wall.

"20 leagues? 25? It matters not, it will be a fairly long journey," The guildmaster muttered to himself, mentally going over the needed provisions for the party in his head. He turned and strode out of the room, intent on securing a small wagon and horse from the Guildes stores for his group. The beast and wagon would be good for travel but would be left behind when entering the mountainous territory loved by the Reds.

"Those bastards better not be late.." He again muttered to himself as he readied the wagon for the next days travel.
Lover of doggos

Bolslania
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bolslania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 am

John got the message late that evening. He sighed. He was not looking forward to the walk.

"I wonder who this new team is. They better be more competent than the last one" he muttered. He went to his cellar and grabbed his gear

"Mountain Red he said? Well, this should do nicely." He had picked up his Brandistock and inspected it. Nodding, he attached it to his pack. His armor was racked up and he packed it on to his mule. He cleaned his curaiss and helmet for tomorrow. His gear was ready and he was feeling the urge to kill.

Dulozud
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dulozud » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Coche City ~ Navid al-Sadah

Exactly one week ago Navid arrived in Coche City after traveling across the continent for almost two months. By now he was well rested and had many days to prepare himself for the oncoming hunts the guild would go on. He had studied his journal intently for a few nights to refresh his mind on the various spells he had at his disposal, and even had the opportunity to practice outside the city walls.

Navid was beginning to become restless until he had heard what had happened at the village, and he wondered what the guildmaster’s response would be. When the call to gather at the gates came, Navid was excited and began packing his things. To prepare for the trek he went and bought some light food for himself from the market square, and later packed it into his sack along with his other belongings.

Once packed, he sat at his desk (he was staying at an inn) and opened his journal to study a bit more. The sun had just set and the darkness crept in until it filled the room. “Naina unin thornessa ília.” 1 A soft glow of light emanated from the room, there was no source to be seen. Navid felt his mana drain slightly; he began his study. After a good hour or so Navid packed his journal in his sack and spoke, “Unaina unin thornessa ília.” 2 The glow drained away from the room and all was dark again. This spell only had minor effects on Navid, even though he held it for so long. Navid then yawned and got in bed.

As he lay, waiting for sleep, his mind was full of thoughts, the most prevalent being, that Navid didn’t know what to expect from this guild, most were of a young age. Hopefully they would hold their own and Navid wouldn’t have to help that much. Additionally, this would be the first dragon Navid would attempt to take down, he’d seen many dragons before, usually in the sky, but he’d never confronted one up close. He was confident though in his abilities, and that put his mind at rest enough for him to close his eyes and sleep.

1/2: Make bright in this place/ Make unbright in this place

Stalins backhair
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Stalins backhair » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:49 pm

Karl was in the middle of a "surgery" (experiment) when he got the message

"Ah finally! Some vield verk!" His hand was deep in the man's chest cavity.

"Vhat are you still standing zer for! Can you not zee zat I have my hand in a man's chest! Now go and get my gear ready!" He yelled at his assistant. The assistant did not travel with Karl, merely minded the shop while he was on a hunt.

"Ah, zer ve are." Karl said as he found the man's heart. He yanked it out. He had his other hand pumping healing into the man to keep him alive.

"SO! Let's see how this works ja?" The man moaned. Karl grabbed a large deer heart he had harvested earlier that day. He threw the man's clogged up heart into a bucket

"Should...I ... be awake for this?" the man asked.

"Aha, vell....no. But vhile you are could you hold your rib cage open a bit?" The man pulled on his ribs. Karl dropped the heart in the man's chest and began to push. After some effort it was jammed into his heart cavity, and one of the man's ribs broke.

"OW!" The man yelled. Karl took it.

"Oh don't verry...ribs grow back." He said reassuringly. Tossing the rib over his shoulder

"No ze don't" He muttered. He applied serious magic to the wound and watched the flesh heal. The man gasped in relief.

"Thanks doctor." He said getting up.

"No problem, come back any time!" Karl said. He walked off to get cleaned up and make sure his gear was ready for tomorrow. He sat down at his alchemy desk and set to brewing antidotes and other liquid chemicals for his team.

He mashed up the necessary herbs and turned them into a paste. He then added water and mixed it together into a goo. He grabbed his selection of needles and syringes and filled them up with the chemicals. He then cleaned them and put them in their cleaned pouches on his bandoleer, which also carries his medical kit.
Last edited by Stalins backhair on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, as you can tell by the name, I don't take this game very seriously.

Ard al Islam
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ard al Islam » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Winds whipped across the crime-ridden city of Fortoss. Despite that, the hustle and bustle of the city didn't seem to slow down. People still moved across the city, albeit as if without a purpose. Merchants lined the street corners, trying to sell their goods to the highest bidder. Chatters of "30 Gaelds! 40! Can I get a 50?" and similar auctions rang out. In the shadows, people were going around robbing and committing small crimes. This city was the perfect hideout for a criminal.

Suddenly, the winds started to change direction. Nightfall was approaching, so people hurried to close up their livelihoods and head inside, either home or to a social convention.

Way later in the night, almost nearing morning, the winds started to blow West. Suddenly, a stranger rode in from that direction, his blanket-shawl blowing in the wind. His entrance was concealed by darkness as he walked into the center of the city. He surveyed the landscape as well as he could, the square being illuminated by torches hanging on walls. He noticed all of the doors closed, mostly large businesses. As he rode around, he saw a tavern, lights shining from inside. There was definitely a party happening at this late of an hour. A criminal would be sure to hang out there.

The Stranger rode over to the tavern, approaching it with little caution. He dismounted his horse on the right side and walked it over to tie it to a hitching post. He stood just outside the tavern, looking at it for a long time, the bottom parts of his shirt blowing in the wind. With that, he walked into the tavern.

The regulars looked at the new arrival and went back to their business. No one paid much attention to the man after a few seconds, with the exception of one. She was a small, red-haired woman, and she kept staring at the man. The man took note of this and walked over to the bartender.

"Morning, lad! What'll it be?" the bartender asked. The Stranger said nothing, just turned and motioned to the red-haired woman from before, who now tried to look away from the man. "Oy, that'll be Miss Marigold. Why?"

The Stranger didn't answer but instead walked over to her. Marigold acted like she wasn't just staring at him. The Stranger's large, intimidating presence sat down at the table, across from Marigold. She nervously got out, "H-h-hello. What can I d-do for you, sir?"

"Can you tell me where your lover is?" the Stranger sternly asked. The woman was scared into answering.

"He's by the Inn with his friends." The Stranger merely turned and got up. He stopped, turned, and faced the woman again, who looked more nervous. The Stranger turned again and walked off.

The Stranger left the Tavern, stopping briefly to look at the sunrise. He unhitched his horse and mounted it from the right side. It wouldn't be long before the Stranger would ride to the alley near the Inn and see a group of five men standing about, talking. The man got off of his horse and faced the group of five. They stopped what they were doing and looked towards the man, standing a distance away from him. He was holding a leather case in his left hand.

"You lost, little boy?" one of them yelled. The man said nothing, only walking towards the group slowly. The others started pouring insults at him.

"You need your mommy?"

"Your horse tired of ya?"

"Need a man to cuddle ya?"

All except for one, the man in the middle. The Stranger got a short distance from them. His horse was a short walk behind him, and the group's horses were nearby. The Stranger then shifted his blanket-shawl from around his body to around his shoulders, allowing for more mobility.

"Oliver Schlongnasty?" the Stranger inquired to the lead man, who stood silent. Well, not silent for long.

"Depends, who's asking?" Oliver replied, a sense of worry coming over him. The Stranger stood silent, before answering.

"Gambler."

"Gambler, huh? What's the bet?"

"Your life."

After hearing this, the small group around Oliver Schlongnasty got a little uneasy, and they knew what was about to happen. The smirks dropped off of their faces. A long staring match ensued. Sensing their fear, the Stranger stood ready. The four-man entourage of Oliver quickly tried to reach for their weapons.

Suddenly, the Stranger dropped the leather case, revealing a composite bow within. Quickly drawing am arrow, he fired a shot into one of the men, and in the same fluid motion, drew fired another arrow, and another, and another. All four men were dead before they hit the ground.

Oliver looked around at his dead friends. He blinked too ling and missed their deaths. The Stranger lowered his bow and looked at Oliver, before giving a smile.

The Stranger started walking towards Oliver, and he let his guard down. Oliver shot an arrow into the Stranger's arm.

The Stranger fell to the ground, and Oliver Schlongnasty ran away and mounted his horse from the left, riding away.

The Stranger was unhurt, however, as the arrow lodged itself in his gauntlet. Removing it, the Stranger quickly ran over to the men on the ground. After hastily retrieving his arrows, the Stranger than ran towards his horse, mounting it from the right.

The Stranger started to chase after Oliver Schlongnasty, who had a considerable headstart. However, Oliver could not ride nearly as well as the Stranger, who chased after him. After a short while, the Stranger caught up to him.

"STOP!" the Stranger yelled to Oliver, as more of a formality, because he surely wouldn't. The Stranger aimed his bow, and he pulled off an expert shot, hitting the horse in the stifle. The horse took a tumble, and Oliver fell with it. By now, they had reached a cliff.

Oliver crawled away, and the Stranger dismounted. He slowly walked over to where Oliver lay, pointing his bow at him.

"Why don't you fight me like a man‽" Oliver tried in vain. "If you shoot me, then you're worse than I am!" Oliver was shouting anything he could, no matter how ineffective.

"Yeah," the Stranger replied coldly.

"Please, show me mercy! At least give me a chance to save myself!" Oliver pleaded.

"Mercy, huh? How many times did your victims beg you for mercy? A lot, huh? Innocent women and children. How often did you show them mercy?"

"Never," Oliver replied dejectedly. He knew it was over for him.

"If I gave you the chance to fight me, you'll never make it off this cliff alive."

"And you're just a no-good stinking assassin! You don't care about the people I killed, you just want the price on my head! Give me a chance to redeem myself, let me fight you!"

The Stranger wasn't amused by Oliver's sudden display of aggressiveness. However, the Stranger eased the tension in his bow, and to Oliver's surprise, placed the arrow back in his quiver. He dropped his bow on the ground, and then he started walking backwards to where Oliver's horse was. There, he picked up a shield.

"Go ahead."

Oliver seemed to snap out of a trance. Defying everything he just said, he picked up his own bow and aimed it at the Stranger. The Stranger began walking diagonally towards his bow, as Oliver fired an arrow. The Stranger blocked it with his shield. Oliver, frustrated, aimed again at the Stranger, who was still walking, and shot another arrow. The Stranger blocked this one with his shield, too. Oliver reached again into his hip quiver, pulling out 2 arrows and placing them into his bow.

He fired them at the Stranger, but they only went so far before dropping harmlessly at his feet. The Stranger was still walking towards his bow. Oliver, growing desperate, reached for another arrow and aimed it at the Stranger, before firing. The Stranger caught it again with his shield. Oliver reached for another arrow, blindly firing at the Stranger, who again blocked it. Oliver madly took the last arrow and clumsily placed it into his bow, firing one last shot through the Stranger's heart.

He blocked it with his shield.

Oliver reached for another arrow, only to find it empty, to his horror. Oliver suddenly remembered the words the Stranger told him only a few minutes ago.

If I gave you the chance to fight me, you'll never make it off this cliff alive.

By this point, the Stranger reached his bow. He picked it up, and carefully aimed it. Walking towards Oliver, he fired an arrow through his quiver.

"You're out of arrows."

He kept walking near him. Oliver reached for his knife, but the Stranger shot his hand with another arrow.

"You're out of options."

The Stranger walked closer, and fired another arrow into Oliver's knee, bringing him to the ground.

"You're out of time."

Oliver couldn't speak, could only watch as the man got nearer to him.

"And you know what that means. You're out of luck."

And with that, the Stranger fired an arrow right into Oliver's heart, killing him instantly.

The Stranger walked into a city in Sidleydon. He was walking alongside his horse. On the horse's back was the corpse of Oliver Schlongnasty, wanted criminal. The Stranger found the house of the lord who he had met earlier. The Stranger tied off his horse and grabbed the body. He walked into the Lord's house.

"Did you finish the job?" the lord asked. He was straight to the point. The Stranger didn't answer. He simply placed the bag with Schlongnasty's body on the table.

"Good job!" the lord said. "However did you do it?"

"1,500 Gaelds," said the Stranger. The lord nodded. "Right you are." The lord went and gathered the money for the bounty. "Now I want you to get rid of this body."

After burying Schlongnasty's body, the Stranger took off for the capital of Sidleydon, his pouch jangling with coins. After riding in and securing his things, he rode out to the mail post. A warning message had been sent out by the Hunter's Guild. A Dragon had attacked a village in the North of the Coches. A Mountain Red, to be exact.

Afterward, the Stranger bought a boat ticket to take him across the sea to the Coches.
Last edited by Ard al Islam on Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 am

Javarga Thunderfist got the message in Coche City, while sharpening her blades. She had moved to Coche on a whim, after hearing about Arcoss Eighmar. It turned out her intuition instincts were correct. Finally, the dwarf woman would get to slay a dragon.

Although Javarga had only been in the Guild for a couple of weeks, and had never actually killed a dragon before, she had courage, she had guts, she was eager, she had weapons, and that's what counted. Javarga liked hunting, but killing a dragon was a much greater challenge than killing even dire moose. The dwarf believed she was up for it.

Javarga finished sharpening her sword, which she had named "Vera". She looked forward to the challenge ahead. Javarga liked fights, and fighting a dragon would be the greatest fight.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Ovesa
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 am

Hyrgalth's Lair, Northern Mountain Range

The mountaintops were blanketed in snow and ice, the granite core of the great range buried in a thick white tomb. Darkness enveloped the sky as fast winds drowned out the deafening silence with shrieks and howls. Far below those majestic mountains that seemed to hold up the ink-colored sky, candlelight turned the windows of the villages to a vibrant orange-gold.

From a high mountain cave, Hyrgalth looked down upon her domain. The forests, the valley, the grasslands, and even the frozen stream was under her careful watch. With each turn of the seasons, she would warch from her mountain perch, the people scurrying like ants. How feeble. How quaint.

Hyrgalth was what her Draconic acquaintances would call an osear vepeks, a Hornnose Dragon. Her massive wings were blacker than night, and her one dark horn was taller than five men. Metallic purple-grey scales shielded her entire body; she was a sight to be feared.

She turned her back on the villages below, making her way through the winding cave systems until she reached the main chamber. Gigantic stalactites hung from the ceiling, displaying pearlescent bands of rock dating back for millennia. She was surrounded by an abundance of treasures: books, scrolls, gems, swords, artifacts, and mountains upon mountains of gold.

Far below, Hyrgalth's daughter was playing with a wooden sword. This girl was no dragon; short and twig-like, the orc girl ran across the Lair with unrivaled agility, her twin braids fluttering behind her as she raced through the caverns, blocking imaginary attacks and slicing invisible foes.

Hyrgalth smiled sweetly. "Hello, starlight."

The young girl was taken off guard, stopping her attack mid-strike. "Mother, you came back early. How was the village?"

"Doing well. They built two more houses since I last saw them." She looked below at her daughter, half stern, half amused. "What are you doing up so late?"

"I was practicing." Uroga explained. "I finished reading that book, the one about those knights, and I did what they did." She demonstrated with a few quick slashes. "See? Wasn't that cool?"

"Yes, indeed it was. And you'll have more time to practice tomorrow."

"But Mother," she cried, "the kids from the village get to stay up late."

"When were you in the village?"

"I wasn't. But sometimes, when the wind isn't so loud, I can hear them laughing and playing." Uroga looked sadly to the ground. "Sometimes, I wish I could be out there."

Hyrgalth pondered for a moment, before speaking up. "Follow me, starlight."

With her Daughter in tow, Hyrgalth strolled through the caves, moving slowly and carefully so that Uroga could keep up. Eventually, they reached a high cave that opened up near the top of the mountain. From there, Uroga could see everything, from the tiny, box-like villages, to the dense, snow capped forests to the plains and river vallies.

Uroga was in awe of the sight, the shifting landscapes that seemed to go on for infinity. Hyrgalth chuckled at the sight of her Daughter's bewilderment. "Everything you see here is our domain. It is our duty and our right to rule over this magnificent place." As she spoke, she turned slowly towards her daughter. "The world is full of danger, my dear. But I promise you, that one day we will venture out there together, so that you may experience everything this life has to offer."

"It'll be the two of us together, right?"

A melancholic wave rushed over the wise dragon. "Of course."

------------------------------------------

Many years had passed since that night. Now the land was green and lush, crawling with all kinds of life. The mountains were still as cold as ever, reigning supreme high above the humanoids and other dragons.

Uroga was fully grown now. She carried herself with an unspoken fortitude and resilience as she carried out her Mother's will. Today, she found herself returning to the Lair with a prize: a handful of rubies, generously donated by the villagers. In exchange for their silence regarding the presence of a dragon (along with a monthly tribute of valuables), Hyrgalth would protect their village from outside threats.

Dutifully, Uroga placed the bag of rubies on a pile of gold, allowing the gems to tumble and roll out of the bag. "Mother, I've returned from the village."

Hyrgalth's eyes glimmered with excitement. "Excellent work, starlight. Now, let's take a closer look..." With a massive, clawed hand, she swiftly snatched a ruby from the top of the pile. As she examined the tiny gem, her serpentine eye shifted in size and focus. "Hmm, lovely color. Decent clarity. On the smaller side, but that's not too much of an issue." With a toothy grin, the dragon gently placed the ruby back onto the pile, careful to not budge a single coin in the process. "It's a thoughtful tribute."

It was a good day. The village was thriving, the forests were flooded with life, and Hyrgalth was more powerful than ever. But even in this time of celebration, Uroga couldn't smile. Tomorrow, she would leave the Lair, and travel by boat to Coche City. There, she would officially join the Hunters Guild, an organization dedicated to exterminating dragonkind.

You may be wondering why a girl raised by a dragon would do such a thing. It was because her mother commanded it. Dragons didn't have alliances, just tolerances. The closest thing to an alliance was a blood bond, but even then there were exceptions. At this very moment, lesser dragons were attacking humanoid settlements left and right, making powergrabs and vying for gold and influence. In a time as tumultuous as now, it was vital for Hyrgalth to keep her adversaries in check.

Although she wanted to stay silent, her emotions got the best of her. "Mother?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Do you think I'm ready to go out there?"

"Oh, Uroga, you are more than ready." Sympathetically, Hyrgalth raised a single claw to brush the hair away from Uroga's face. "You have become stronger than I could have ever dreamed of, not to mention a more wonderful daughter. I have no doubt that you will do well."

Uroga was anxious. "But Mother, my first mission is against a Mountain Red-"

"And a Mountain Red you shall slay."

"What if the other find out who I am?" A single tear rolled down her blue-grey, white freckled cheek. She was not typically one to get emotional, but this moment was certainly an exception.

Hyrgalth, in her ancient wisdom, pondered. What could she say? After a brief moment, she offered up some encouraging words. "Dear child, no matter what may happen on your journey, I will always be with you. I have no doubt you will excel in all of your tasks. Always remember that you are so much stronger than you could ever know."

Uroga reached out to hug her Mother. Even though Hyrgalth was larger than a castle, Uroga could still (barely) wrap her arms less than half way across the lower part of Hyrgalth's front leg. No words were spoken; there was no need.

"I was saving this for your departure, but I thought now would be a better time." Hyrgalth's massive tail swung around from behind her, holding a distinctive amulet. A vibrant, kite-shaped gem, redder than blood, was placed into a gold setting. Delicately, she lowered it onto her Daughter's hands. "This is an ancient Draconic anulet. No matter where you may go, it will protect you when you need it most."

Uroga examined the amulet, tracing her finger along the Draconic runes carved into the gold. She looked upwards towards an abyssal cave ceiling, directly at her Mother. "How could I ever repay you for such a gift?"

"Keep it close to you. Whenever you feel lost, look there to find me. No matter where you may go, I promise to always be with you."

"One last piece of advice; follow the eagles, they will always know where to guide you..."

----------------------------------

The voyage was, for the most part, uneventful. Hyrgalth was right: the eagles were helpful guides. They showed her the way to the port, through Coche City, and all the way to the Guild Hall. The bustling crowds did little to impede Uroga's movements, although she did catch an occasional glare. Maybe wearing a Draconic artifact out in public wasn't the best idea, but she payed them no mind. Besides, most of the populace couldn't even read Draconic, let alone identify artifacts. For the time being, she was safe.

Outside of the Guild Hall, a crowd was beginning to gather. Uroga took note of some of the people who, for the time being, would serve as her allies. An eccentric doctor, oozing with magic and consumed by morbid curiosity. A female dwarf, battle-ready with a distinct ferocity in her spirit. And many, many more.

Even among adventurers, she felt as if she stuck out. She swayed along with the crowd, not quite brave enough to initiate conversation, but waiting patiently for something to happen...

Offer Erapia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 12, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Offer Erapia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:38 pm

Coche city

Down the winding road that led into the large city came the silhouette of a man on a horse. The stranger was adorned in plate armor the sharp clip-clop of hooves and clanking of steel drew close as he passed the front gate. Alistair looked around as he passed the masses of people carrying out thier everyday lives. He seemed to be of interest though he kept getting stares from men, woman and children. He didn't mind it to be honest he loved travel and new experiences. Though as he journeyed he found himself to be a little lost. He loved to travel, yes, but he had never been to Coche city and did not know his way around. Alistair looked about to ask for guidance he soon picked out a person, a woman with long blonde locks and a teal dress. Approaching her he pulled back on the reigns of his horse the beast of which shook it's head about and lightly stomped it's feet before coming to a stop.

"Excuse me miss" he said after clearing his throat "I'm new here and don't know my way around, could you by chance happen to know where the hunters guild is?" He made an effort to sound as formal as possible not wanting to scare the lady. The woman in question looked up and after hearing him out nodded with a kind smile. "Yes I do" she pointed as she spoke. "Follow this road down and turn left the guild should be somewhere in that area." The reassured Alistair nodded and thanked the lady kindly before ushering his horse on following the woman's direction.

Alistair continued to indulge in the sights as he made his way, there were markets and shops of varying variety. Since he was raised in a village he never seen such ways of life it truly did interest him. But Alistair had a job to do he could wait for such leisurely moments at a different time. Making a left, Alistair continued on with his route he kept his eyes more open though seeing through a metal helmet had it's difficulties. But as fortune would have it he didn't need to look for long as a rather large crowd gathered where Alistair could have only guessed was the guild. And upon reading the sign he confirmed the suggestion "here at last" he muttered to himself as he dismounted from the horse. He grabbed the reigns firmly and walked his horse over to a post tying it tight before he made his way through the wooden doors stepping inside.

Stalins backhair
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stalins backhair » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Karl had arrived in Coche early that morning, the journey had been long and boring. He stepped into the cool wind of the town and paid the farmer who had been kind enough to take him to Coche while the farmer was heading to market. Karl made his way into the town, finding a place to get out of the elements while he waited for daybreak. Upon the sunrise, Karl walked through the town. He had made some housecalls to the town, so he had a rough understanding of the place. 45 minutes later, he was entering the Guild Hall.

He was dressed in a long coat and had a satchel across his body, forming an X shape with his Bandoleer. He saw two people there already, one tall strong Orc female of the Mountain variety, and one Human male, he was wearing his full armor.

Karl strode over to the man, handing him a packet of fluid

"Take zis, its for ze exhaustion you vill be feeling in a few moments."

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Javarga Thunderfist had arrived at the Guild Hall. She was wearing her weapons and her fireproof armor, and she had gotten some stares walking open in the streets, but no one was willing to attack, harass, or molest a female dwarf when she was bearing weapons. And Javarga saw a man wearing full-plate armor as well, so she wasn't weird.

The dwarf looked around at her new companions so far: the aforementioned man in armor, a mad alchemist with a strange accent, and a female orc. Javarga didn't consider herself bigoted, and she squelched the feelings of suspicion within her with the reminder that even an orc could make a good comrade, even if the Hunter's Guild often took suspicious elements.

The Hunter's Guild took suspicious elements, but Javarga Thunderfist wasn't one of them. She was here to kill dragons. Javarga had grown up hearing stories about ferocious dragons who terrorized villages, and when she heard that the Hunter's Guild had formed again, the dwarf had signed up quick. And now she was here.

Javarga, despite her ferocious and battle-ready appearance, was a friendly person. She walked up to the female orc with the amulet and introduced herself. "Hello, I'm Javarga Thunderfist. I'm a dwarf and I—well, I'm here to go on a Hunt. What's your name?"
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 pm

John strolled through the streets, picking up on the man wearing full plate, he followed him to the guildhall. He stepped in, his knife around his waist, and the shoulder plates of his armor on, he immediately took stock of the room, one dwarf, one guy who looked to be some kind of doctor, an orc, and the man in armor, who was being handed a packet of something by the doctor.

John positioned himself away, but near to the group and kept to himself.

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Uroga was intimidated at first by the spontaneousness of the Dwarf, especially with her battle-ready appearance. But this newcomer seemed to be friendly enough, especially compared to the other mercenaries hunters present in the Guild Hall. It could serve as a valuable opportunity to learn more about her allies before their first mission. Besides, it was better than listening to the Doctor peddle around his magical mystery cure.

She extended a hand in greeting. "The name's Uroga, of Savenoria." It felt strange, speaking in half-truths with such a cheerful disposition. Nevertheless, she continued. "How did you hear about the Guild?"

Voxija
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Ovesa wrote:Uroga was intimidated at first by the spontaneousness of the Dwarf, especially with her battle-ready appearance. But this newcomer seemed to be friendly enough, especially compared to the other mercenaries hunters present in the Guild Hall. It could serve as a valuable opportunity to learn more about her allies before their first mission. Besides, it was better than listening to the Doctor peddle around his magical mystery cure.

She extended a hand in greeting. "The name's Uroga, of Savenoria." It felt strange, speaking in half-truths with such a cheerful disposition. Nevertheless, she continued. "How did you hear about the Guild?"

Javarga shook the orc's hand. Uroga seemed unwilling to reveal too much about herself, but Javarga would soon fix that, maybe after the mission (if they survived) with some mead.

"You're from Savenoria? I'm from Savenoria too. Anyways, it all started when I was young. I'm 65, you know, even though I look about as young as a twenty-three year-old human, and I grew up hearing stories about terrible dragons who ransacked villages, killed people—killed my great-grandfather's entire family, killed that idiot Bishop Dreyon. Yeah, I learned the lesson that dragons are the worst, that all of them were foul, terrible, murderous beasts. I guess I heard about the Guild through word-of-mouth a couple of... months? Years ago? I forgot who told me! Anyway, now I'm here!"

Javarga smiled toothily. Although Javarga had decided to let Uroga respond to that snippet of conversation rather than ask the orc a question, Javarga really liked her amulet. It was so pretty, and it had that interesting writing on it... what was that writing? O what the heck. Javarga was going to ask about the amulet.

"So, I like your nice amulet. Where's it from?"

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 pm

It was fascinating, hearing insight from someone with a lifetime's worth of experience. Well, a lifetime for an Orc, anyway: Javarga was still considered young by Dwarf standards. It was clear that Javarga's upbringing had an influence on her views, a young warrior coming from a family-oriented clan that held a special hatred for all dragon kind. Still, she was very outgoing and individualistic, with a spontaneous that was almost contagious.

Uroga hadn't left home expecting to make friends, but Javarga was so upbeat and welcoming, it was hard not to warm up at least a little. Who knew she would be working with another person from Savenoria? Perhaps with time, Javarga would prove to be a valuable ally. Maybe she would even her help take down those pesky adders who dared to harass her Mother's villages...

The amulet question caught Uroga off guard. "Oh, this? It was a gift, from my mother." She normally would've left it there, but Javarga seemed to be curious, so she decided to go a bit more in depth. "She gave it to me before I left to join the Guild. She's...magically inclined. Likes to collect all sorts of this kind of stuff. It was actually her idea for me to come out here and join. Said it would be good for me to go out and experience the world and all that."

"I'll be honest, I was a little hesitant to come out here. I've never really gone far from home before. But now that I'm here, I'm actually looking forward to being a part of this." She had never spoken this openly with a stranger before. Uroga hoped that her new friendship would last, and that her... unusual upbringing wouldn't put a damper on things.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:20 pm

John rolled his eyes at the Orc and Dwarf. In this kind of work you didn't want to get attached. Or maybe that was his monster talking, he never truly knew, or cared for that matter. All he knew was that he was alive, and he didn't have, need, or want friends.

So we have an over-talkative dwarf, an idiot who wears full plate like fucking nightclothes, a crazy doctor, and a strong, silent type orc. What's next in this Parade of Personality? None of this even flashed for a second across John's face, which remained flat and silent.

Offer Erapia
Envoy

Democratic Socialists

Postby Offer Erapia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Coche city, hunters guild

Alistair appeared to be one of the first people there. He waited around for a bit, was he perhaps too early? He learned from a young age that being early was one of the keys to success but he might have overdone it. But sure enough as time slowly crept by more and more people decided to show, one of which was an orc. Alistair had never seen one before but was impressed by her size she was even bigger than himself. Of course he was hesitant to talk to her and decided it was best to save the formalities for later.

After some more time another person showed up this time a man. No sooner than he arrived did he approach Alistair. The action took him off guard and he stiffened if only for a moment. It took him a moment to understand the mans offering his accent made it a little difficult to catch what he was saying but he quickly caught on and graciously accepted the mans gift. It was true that he had been feeling tired the horse ride to the city took forever. But he was naturally a cautious person and instead of drinking the contents there he placed it inside a pouch that hung from his hip.

"Again, thank you" he said though his voice was deep it held a soft and kindly tone. The man didn't look stern nor mean maybe Alistair could make a companion for once. But before he could act on his suggestion another adventurer arrived this one was unlike the others. She was very short but carried an array of weaponry he could only guess that she was a dwarf and unlike the orc he did have a few encounters with dwarfs. Most he met had a quick temper so he knew he'd best watch out for this one as well.

The large man looked over the others he really couldn't help but smile underneath his helm a orc, dwarf and what Alistair would later come to know as an alchemist stood before him. As he looked on he could hear the other two talking a amulet of sorts was mentioned. He couldn't help but look over and as soon as he did he understood why the dwarf was interested. It was a large red gem encased in gold it was sure enough to catch the eye but what made it stranger was the engravings. He had never seen such writing but as he listened to their conversation further he understood why. Apparently the orcs mother had magic of sorts it was very interesting to Alistair just what could the amulet do? Was it powerful or dangerous? He'd have to find out later but now he was really only wanting one thing and that was something to eat.

Stalins backhair
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stalins backhair » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:37 am

Karl nodded and stepped away from the group. The dwarf and orc were making conversation, another human male had silently come into the hall and was standing in the shadows.

"I recommend taking off your armor, if you continue to wear it for much longer you will pass out." He said to the armored man.

Ard al Islam
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ard al Islam » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 am

The winds were blowing east. With it came the great sailing ships of Sidleydon, the whalers, the fishing vessels, and many more. On one of these ships, they were transporting passengers. For a fee, of course. As the passenger ship made way into the port of Coche City, the crew hastily made preparations for docking.

The ship slowed down, the crew trying to make sure it didn't hit the side. The crew was experienced, however, and brought the vessel in port-side. Soon after the ship was in position, a ramp came down from the side of the boat. It was lowered onto the dock, and when the captain gave the all-clear, the people started to leave.

The first coming off the boat was a man, his shoes making a defining thump sound on the wood. This was followed by a horse, it's horseshoes also clinking across the platform. The Stranger walked down the ramp, leading his horse onto the dock. He stood silently on the dock, the golden rays of the morning illuminating his hair. The other people walked around him and his horse as they stood there, looking at the sun coming over the horizon and surveying the city below it.

Coche City. The capital of the Coches. This was where the message from Arcoss of the Dragon's Guild was sent. Here was where the Guild would organize, and set out on a journey. Where a man could make a quick Gaeld.

The Stranger led his horse and walked over to a man who gave directions. He asked for the Guild Hall and was pointed in the right direction.

The Stranger approached the Guild Hall, and he hitched his horse outside.

The door to the Guild Hall opened. The atmosphere got quiet, and standing in the doorway was the Stranger's intimidating figure.

"Who's the fella leads this team?"
Last edited by Ard al Islam on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:55 am

"Good question. I'd like to know myself."

John said from his corner, he had been entertaining himself with cleaning his dagger and sharpening it, basic maintenance can keep you alive.

Offer Erapia
Envoy

Democratic Socialists

Postby Offer Erapia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Stalins backhair wrote:Karl nodded and stepped away from the group. The dwarf and orc were making conversation, another human male had silently come into the hall and was standing in the shadows.

"I recommend taking off your armor, if you continue to wear it for much longer you will pass out." He said to the armored man.

Hunters Guild, Coche city

Alistair was hesitant to follow the instructions. He was indeed self conscious about his face but he couldn't very well faint in front of the others. "Before I do, I should warn you that not many people are ok with the sight of me." He said slowly reaching up he grabbed the leather strap under his chin that held his helm firmly in place. His fingers loosened and pulled on the straps breaking them free of each other. He took a deep breath and removed his helm the soft draft immediately breezed over him it was a brief moment of relief. But although the room was dimly lit by hanging lanterns and candle fire his face and the large, grotesque burn it bared were clearly visible to all who looked. He shuffled on his feet nervously not daring to look around.

"You see, I dont wear this armor just for protection or looks it hides my face from others" he said in a low voice one that only he and the alchemist could hear. "And it wouldn't look right if I just wore the helmet and nothing else." Alistair took a few side glances making sure no one looked his way. He took another deep breath and walked over to a wooden bench where he sat. He folded his arms and laid back his eyes scanned the room hopefully the guild offered food or booze. He was quite famished and his stomach growled in agreement. Turning his head back to the alchemist he decided to fire off a question of his own. "So, you live around here?"

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm

John cocked his head at the man's burnt face. He had seen some sort of action.

A fellow dragon attack survivor? John thought. He scanned the other parts of the room looking for anyone who might be in charge.

Stalins backhair
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stalins backhair » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Offer Erapia wrote:
Stalins backhair wrote:Karl nodded and stepped away from the group. The dwarf and orc were making conversation, another human male had silently come into the hall and was standing in the shadows.

Hunters Guild, Coche city

Alistair was hesitant to follow the instructions. He was indeed self conscious about his face but he couldn't very well faint in front of the others. "Before I do, I should warn you that not many people are ok with the sight of me." He said slowly reaching up he grabbed the leather strap under his chin that held his helm firmly in place. His fingers loosened and pulled on the straps breaking them free of each other. He took a deep breath and removed his helm the soft draft immediately breezed over him it was a brief moment of relief. But although the room was dimly lit by hanging lanterns and candle fire his face and the large, grotesque burn it bared were clearly visible to all who looked. He shuffled on his feet nervously not daring to look around.

"You see, I dont wear this armor just for protection or looks it hides my face from others" he said in a low voice one that only he and the alchemist could hear. "And it wouldn't look right if I just wore the helmet and nothing else." Alistair took a few side glances making sure no one looked his way. He took another deep breath and walked over to a wooden bench where he sat. He folded his arms and laid back his eyes scanned the room hopefully the guild offered food or booze. He was quite famished and his stomach growled in agreement. Turning his head back to the alchemist he decided to fire off a question of his own. "So, you live around here?"

"Oh nein, I live in a small fishing town about 14 miles from here. I'm a doctor there. If you don't mind my asking what happened to your face, it looks like you vere pressed into somesing? An anvil or mantelpiece perhaps?"

The last part Karl said, but more as if he was thinking out loud.

Ovesa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovesa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:30 pm

As her conversation with Javarga gradually faltered, Uroga snuck a few glances around the room, hoping to find someone in charge. It was odd, she thought, that someone would go through all of the work to assemble them from across the continent and not even bother to introduce themselves. Perhaps they were busy speaking with another group of recruits...

All she could read from the room were bored glances and a general level of confusion. There was no food or drink to be had, and no entertainment, either. If only she had brought her lute with her to Coche City. She was no bard, but she could strum out a few basic tunes.

Scanning the room, she saw a handful of people talking amongst themselves, while a young human sharpened a dagger. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted him; a young man clad in plate armor, helmet in hand, with burns that covered the right side of his face and wrapped around his head. She narrowly avoided making direct contact with his vibrant green eyes, not wanting to get caught staring.

She couldn't quite hear what he was saying, due to their distance and due to the fact that he had a surprisingly soft and quiet voice. He was speaking with the alchemists, who was apparently interested in the injury. In the back of her mind lingered one single question.

A dragon hunter?

It was impossible to know for sure; there were few recorded instances of humanoids surviving dragon fire, and information regarding them were scarce. But the possibility was still there. If he truly survived the draconic flames, it would have taken an immense level of strength. In the midst of mercenaries and wannabe-heroes, he seemed the most likely to have relevant experience.

Out of respect, she didn't directly approach him; he appeared to be very self-conscious about his appearance. Still, she would keep in mind as a potential, valuable ally...

Offer Erapia
Envoy

Democratic Socialists

Postby Offer Erapia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 pm

Hunters guild

Before the alchemist even asked the question Alistair knew it was coming. Although telling his story didn't bother him he felt vulnerable and the visions of his past always seemed to find him when he told his story. He looked at the alchemist and nodded "I was a young lad, about nine or so" he started with a soft sigh. "The winter was harsh that season so me and my brother decided to make a fire to keep us and our ill mother warm." His green eyes sagged down, distraught was visible on his face.

"My father was a terrible drunk and a worse parent, that night he came back from the tavern, he reeked of booze and could barely walk" he paused for a brief moment gathering himself so he could continue. "That night he went mad he struck our mother and called her terrible names after which he went after my brother beating him as if he was a grown man." Alistair eyes went cold as the mix of emotions rose up throughout him the visions filling his view. "I managed to get in between them I yelled at him for being the way he was....a-and" he stammered. "He looked at me he told me that if i was going to fight fire with fire I better be able to take the flames and so he dragged me and pressed my face to the blaze" although no tears were visible he looked devastated.

After another brief pause he continued. "The pain was bad, the smell was worse but the worst thing was that it was my own father who did it....and..my mother who protected him told everyone that my bed caught fire during the night." He finished the story his hands shaking in fear his heart pounded underneath his armor he could faintly feel the pain of the fire licking his face just like it did all those years ago.

"After that everyone seemed to think me and my brother were the source of dear old dad's drinking problem but at the same time everyone forgot that a son doesn't choose his father" he looked around before clearing his throat ridding himself of the fear that rose up in it. "So I moved away as soon as I could, practically raised myself and once I heard the guild was getting back together I joined with no hesitation." Alistair didn't dare look at the alchemist he didn't want to see his reaction. "So that's my story, what about you?" He asked quickly trying to get off the subject.

Stalins backhair
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Stalins backhair » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:48 am

Offer Erapia wrote:Hunters guild

Before the alchemist even asked the question Alistair knew it was coming. Although telling his story didn't bother him he felt vulnerable and the visions of his past always seemed to find him when he told his story. He looked at the alchemist and nodded "I was a young lad, about nine or so" he started with a soft sigh. "The winter was harsh that season so me and my brother decided to make a fire to keep us and our ill mother warm." His green eyes sagged down, distraught was visible on his face.

"My father was a terrible drunk and a worse parent, that night he came back from the tavern, he reeked of booze and could barely walk" he paused for a brief moment gathering himself so he could continue. "That night he went mad he struck our mother and called her terrible names after which he went after my brother beating him as if he was a grown man." Alistair eyes went cold as the mix of emotions rose up throughout him the visions filling his view. "I managed to get in between them I yelled at him for being the way he was....a-and" he stammered. "He looked at me he told me that if i was going to fight fire with fire I better be able to take the flames and so he dragged me and pressed my face to the blaze" although no tears were visible he looked devastated.

After another brief pause he continued. "The pain was bad, the smell was worse but the worst thing was that it was my own father who did it....and..my mother who protected him told everyone that my bed caught fire during the night." He finished the story his hands shaking in fear his heart pounded underneath his armor he could faintly feel the pain of the fire licking his face just like it did all those years ago.

"After that everyone seemed to think me and my brother were the source of dear old dad's drinking problem but at the same time everyone forgot that a son doesn't choose his father" he looked around before clearing his throat ridding himself of the fear that rose up in it. "So I moved away as soon as I could, practically raised myself and once I heard the guild was getting back together I joined with no hesitation." Alistair didn't dare look at the alchemist he didn't want to see his reaction. "So that's my story, what about you?" He asked quickly trying to get off the subject.

Karl stood back up.

"Ah, nothing so......traumatic. My parents were pretty standard, no real problems with drinking or anysing like zat. Ven I fas about 13 I got apprenticed to se town's doctor, who fas beginning to age. During the middle of an intense surgery I fas helping him fith, I, out of instinct, grabbed the injured man, and ze doctor and I watched in surprise as the man's ripped open chest began to knit back together. After that, the town mage and doctor worked with me on bringing out my magical ability und medicinal talent. Unfortunately the dosage of magic zat I am carrying has led me to be a bit....ah...curious about anatomy and biology. Oser than that, not much."

Karl could see that the man was deeply traumatized by what had happened to him, unfortunately, magic nor medicine could cure issues with the mind.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse