NATION

PASSWORD

The Land of the Free: American Political Roleplay (IC II)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:51 pm

ImageImage
Eleanor Brosnan
@65Ms.Eleanor

Though I have little time in tweeting when in the company of friends and family, I must congratulate Virginia tonight. I am also proud of our movement that we’ve gathered, from ordinary people to the big names. #ThankYou #IVoted

RETWEETSFAVORITE

Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:57 am

Election Night 2019 Part IV
November 5, 2019

"Welcome back, results are fluttering in from Mississippi where it's electoral college has come under fire from none other than our very own Winston Russ," she gestured to him.

“Let me start off by saying that’s great news that we just saw from Virginia, a clear indication of the waning confidence in long held Republican areas across the country. But before I go on, I do want to go back to Aubrey’s comment on Mississippi. I don’t use the racist label lightly especially as a black man, but the Mississippi electoral college system was put in place after Reconstruction ended and in the early days of voter suppression in the state, when poll taxes and other disenfranchisement laws were created. Heck, one of the state’s governors said it himself, this was a way to and I quote, remove the n-word from politics, end quote. Those are the facts Aubrey plain and simple.”

"Mississippians have had the opportunity to change those laws and have chosen not to. Are you saying that Mississippians are the architects of racism, Winston?"

“I’m saying a racist system shouldn’t be upheld simply because that’s the way it’s always been. Let freedom ring Aubrey, that’s the American way.”

"So now you think Mississippians make their constitutional decisions entirely on the basis of tradition? That's an awfully sneering position to take towards the average voter, and it's precisely this sort of 'everything I disagree with is racist' standpoint that really has estranged the white working class from the Democrats. That used to be a constituency your party carried. But trying to tar ordinary Americans with the same brush as the Klan isn't just patronizing, but deeply arrogant and out of touch."

“I’m failing to see why you’re so desperately trying to defend a racist relic of times gone by. The creators of the system acknowledged the racial reasons for its institution and now we have an opportunity where it will finally be challenged. To say this is somehow a sneering attack is just disrespectful, especially since you are the one bringing up things like the Klan. At the end of the day, everyone agrees racists are bad and don’t belong in our country nor do the systems they implemented, even if they have existed for so long. Well, everyone except yourself Aubrey and a handful of Mississippians.”

"Woah, so now I'm racist because I disagree with you? That is out of line. Republicans agree racists are bad, we just don't agree that we should tell working Americans that they're racist if we disagree with them, which is the policy you've taken. Mississippians have decided to stick with their voting system, and that is entirely within their constitutional right, and I reject the notion - quite rightly - that a majority of Mississippians are in on some sort of grand Klan-esque conspiracy as you're trying to intimate. Let's deal with racial issues through healing and unity, not by trying to bash the other side. I think Americans are rightly disappointed by the lack of civility being displayed here."

“No one is calling you or working class Americans or the Republican Party or the Democratic Party or any group or person racist. This is about the Mississippi electoral college that is racist. No one should be disputing that plain and simple. Now, sure, maybe you could argue that it should be kept though I’d disagree. But labeling others as racist is entirely a straw man argument of your own design Aubrey.”

"You know full well what you were suggesting!"

“I would ask yourself that.”

"Antony, I believe you've got some numbers for us!"

Winston rolled his eyes once off camera but away from where Aubrey could see him.

Antony started to talk, "what I want to highlight is that statewide data is reporting at breakneck pace, much faster than Kentucky, no real regional discrepancy but I have noticed a few appreciable alterations. Most data is from the East and South of the state, heavy Republican votes, and from those areas I'm witnessing an on-par level of performance as we'd expect. Most of those areas, more data from the west might disagree. We've yet to see if Eleanor Brosnan can inspire the uptick in the delta region that she's going to need if she wants to win. Now, the hypothetical scenario both Aubrey and Winston are excited to discuss is regarding the possibility that one candidate wins the popular vote but not a majority of state house districts, it's important for us to note that while that's possible, the Mississippi House of Representatives has never not elected a popular vote winner, so we shall see exactly how the night plays out, I'm hopeful of a definitive result otherwise we could be waiting until court cases resolve the situation," Antony gave Eloise a curt nod who spoke quickly to prevent either Aubrey or Winston from yanking the other's neck off.

"We're going live now to Richmond, Virginia where we'll be joined by Senator Jillian Dayton, Senator, welcome tonight, you must be jubilant over there," Eloise welcomed Jillian who was beamed live onto the screen.

"You bet we are, thank you for the welcome."

"I'm sure our panel has millions of questions and you'd rather be basking in the glory of victory," she gave the other two their opening.

"Well, it looks like you pulled it out there in Virginia, Senator." Aubrey said relatively neutrally, not really pushing the issue, even though she'd already managed expectations on Virginia.

"Tone-deaf Republicans hopped in trains, busses, planes and boats to escape having to address gun violence in our state after Roanoke, and Virginians have made their voices heard tonight. I'm just happy to have been able to help out," she smiled, Aubrey had particularly pissed her off with her defence of Mississippi's voting.

Winston decided to offer Jillian a soft ball. “Senator, do you think this helps arguments that Democrats can deliver in downballot elections? And to add on, that you, given your presidential run, can also deliver downballot results?”

Jillian nodded thoughtfully as the question was asked, "I think it shows that our party's message isn't limited to inner cities and coastal exurbs, we won tonight in suburbs, Republican heartlands, the bedrock of the Republican vote for the past eighty years and tonight in Virginia we proved that our message appeals in the suburbs. As for my ability to help downballot Democrats, I've done my best, and tonight by working together we've made Mississippi and Kentucky competitive and delivered a victory that is enormous in scale, here in Virginia."

"How likely do you think it is that these gains will hold, Senator? We're in a situation where the President can't work the downballot races as much as he'd like to, and earlier in this program, we discussed... difficulties in the electioneering work of the RNC this year. The Democrats had substantial advantages this year that they won't have in four years' time. How confident are you that these fresh faces can hold their ground against a more organized campaign?" Aubrey asked.

"By delivering, Aubrey," Jillian responded calmly, "every time Virginians vote to send their representatives back to Richmond, they send Republicans or Democrats. The Republicans do nothing and the Democrats do something, it's the same deal federally, Republicans spent six years promising to tear down the Affordable Care Act and couldn't offer an alternative. It'll be just like that in Richmond, their entire campaign was predicated on preventing Democrats from making the slightest effort at change, and tonight Virginians like millions of other Americans are saying, have said that enough is enough, and voted for change."

“What are your thoughts on the potential controversy that could erupt in Mississippi tonight given the state’s electoral college system and it’s less than well-intentioned history?” Winston asked, changing tack.

"My campaign will help finance any necessary litigation efforts. It's an absolute affront to Democratic norms if a candidate wins the most votes and is denied the chance to take office. I'm certain the Supreme Court will agree, when that college system was implemented, it was with the intention of weakening the ability of Black Americans from voting, and as far as I'm concerned, that goes against every fibre of our Constitution," Jillian responded, "I'm absolutely certain that when Eleanor Brosnan is Governor of Mississippi, getting rid of that racist relic will be among the first things she does."

"Do Virginia Democrats intend on aggressively going after constitutional freedoms in Virginia, or will they back off from the most aggressively unconstitutional Democratic platform since Jim Crow?"

“I’m sure Aubrey here will file an amicus brief when you do” quipped Winston, a sly smile on his face.

Jillian prevented herself from laughing vocally at Winston's remark, "I'm sorry Aubrey, which reforms do you believe would be unconstitutional?"

"Clamping down on free speech and gun rights. There seems to be a race to the bottom going on here to go after the Bill of Rights with state and local Democrats, and I - and I'm sure a great many ordinary Virginians and other ordinary Americans - want to know if you're going to steer off of that path or if we're going to see diktats handed down from Richmond unduly targeting conservatives and responsible gun owners," Aubrey pressed.

Winston asked, “well, Senator Dayton, aren’t you a gun owner too?”

"As if one rule for me and one for thee hasn't been the maxim of Democratic politics for decades now,” Aubrey retorted.

“Rules should apply to everyone. Take every vote should count the same for example,” Winston responded.

"You're misrepresenting again. And attempting to divert people's attentions away that the platform being pushed in Virginia isn't a moderate one, but an aggressive one in the image of people like Murphy and Winthrop, who have shown a deep disregard for the real needs whilst pursuing a narrow ideological agenda. It is right that Americans want answers on whether they intend to pursue their intent to dismantle the Bill of Rights in the Old Dominion,” responded Aubrey.

Jillian looked visibly confused, "there isn't going to be an attack on free speech or your right to bear arms, I'm a responsible gun owner, the Democrats who just got sent to Richmond have no interest in going after responsible gun owners, our politicians should live by the same standards as the rest of us, Aubrey. Let's not conflate Virginian Democrats and Levi Murphy, it's common knowledge that there's some substantial differences between him, myself and the folks I represent."

"So there won't be a push to institute sweeping, burdensome anti-gun legislation; or laws that muzzle conservatives, as we've seen in other states where Democrats have made gains?" Aubrey pushed.

Jillian replied calmly and firmly, "Democrats won't be pushing anything that contravenes the right to bear arms or the right to free speech. Burdens are disproportionate, if Republicans want to talk about burdens, we can gladly discuss how Black Americans are victim to more gun violence, or how women of all creeds still face obstacles to professional advancement."

Eloise jumped in, "thank you for joining us Senator Dayton, we're going to cut to a quick ad break before joining Antony for a better look at Mississippi."
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:56 am

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
(Image)(Image)
Eleanor Brosnan
@65Ms.Eleanor

Though I have little time in tweeting when in the company of friends and family, I must congratulate Virginia tonight. I am also proud of our movement that we’ve gathered, from ordinary people to the big names. #ThankYou #IVoted

RETWEETSFAVORITE

(Image)

Liked and retweeted by Michelle Dalton
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 am

Nate Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Winston Russ owes Aubrey Blake an apology, he basically called her a racist over what amounts to a political disagreement. No one is arguing the roots of Mississippi's electoral system (put in place by democrats) aren't based on trying to suppress African American voters but a lot has changed over the past few hundred years and just because you believe it should be kept in place does not make you a racist.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 am

The Volker Residence
Farmington, Missouri
November 3rd, 2019

It was before daybreak in Farmington when the House Minority leader roused himself from slumber. After going through his regular morning motions, the Representative walked into the kitchen in the hope of finding something for breakfast, such hope was in vain as the refrigerator was practically empty with the only thing within it being the previous day's meatloaf. Nevertheless, Volker took it out before sitting down in the lounge as he watched Fox News. Some time into his viewing, Volker started to look around the lounge, admittedly, he had a dislike of being alone in the house, particularly as it left Torrie alone in D.C., despite that though he realised that it would be a good idea to head back for a day or two, it was good practice and he thought it would be good to take care of some business whilst he was down here. Thus, the House Minority Leader, who had represented this District for what was now 24 years, left the house and proceeded to take a morning walk throughout the town, breathing in the cold but refreshing midwestern air as he did so.

Farmington was still rather empty whilst its Congressman walked, an occurrence that was fairly common come that time of year. Nevertheless, there was the odd person out, who the Representative would exchange brief but cordial pleasantries with as he walked along. Soon after, Volker settled on making the first stop of the day, the home of his parents. After arriving outside of the house, Volker walked up to the door and knocked gently, adjusting his suit to a small degree as he waited for the door to open.

A brief few moments later, the door opened and it was no other than Penny Volker who opened it, smiling as she saw who it was knocking, namely her son.

"Well, if it isn't my boy."

"That I certainly am Ma'am. I'm only here for a day or two for some business in the District. How have things been here?" Thomas replied, his face beginning to form a slight smile.

"They've been the same as always Thomas, uneventful but good." The 77 year old woman replied, backing up into the hall slightly as her son entered before continuing.

"Your pa is just through that way, where he usually is."

"I thought as much." The younger Volker said, as his mother returned to her own room.

Just before he got to the doorway of the room, Thomas paused, part of him had always had a minor sense of dread when it came to speaking with his father, not out of fear, but more out of a deep sense of unworthiness before he entered into the front lounge.

It was as he entered that Thomas saw the shape of Randall Volker, a man who despite being on the verge of turning 79 within the month had managed to maintain much of his strong build from his almost 30 year military career, having enlisted straight out of High School. Admittedly, the relationship between the two Volker men had always had that aura of quiet tension, even despite the elder Volker frequently being overseas. Slowly the, elder Volker looked up from his television set as he fixed eyes upon his son.

"Oh, you're here." The elder Volker said simply.

"That I am Sir, only for a few days at the most though, District business you see."

"I see, well I suppose you should sit." The Volker patriarch said, gesturing to the chair on his left as he returned his gaze to the television.

"Where's Torrie anyway?"

"She's busy at the moment Sir, particularly with how the White House has shaped up this year."

"That is unfortunate, with the President I mean. I'll be the first to admit I had my doubts when he first ran but I'm glad I voted for him as the nominee, best President since Ronnie."

Thomas nodded along as his father spoke, in some respects, Thomas saw some similarities between his father and the President, most notably with the aggressive streak that the two of them shared, perhaps that might have been a reason that he endorsed Wolf so early, he'd probably never know for sure though.

"How are things on the Hill?"

"Well they're certainly better than earlier in the year, the libertarians amongst the House Republican Conference have settled so we've got some stability."

"Oh yes, them. You know Thomas, I'm rather surprised that you got Minority Leader, I never thought you'd be there."

"I suppose I am as well." Thomas said, of course, the resentment that he felt towards (Not-Ryan) and (Not-McCarthy) was still there from January towards the way in which he found himself suddenly catapulted into the leadership of the House Republican Conference, in a House minority to boot, he made sure to let that part of the conversation slide though.

After a lengthy period of silence, the elder Volker spoke up again.

"The primaries look like they'll certainly be interesting. Do you think Prendergast will pull it off?"

"I think he can, we've got enough momentum of this side to make it work and the Wolf Jr endorsement will appease that crowd, or at least I hope so."

"Well, you better pull it off Thomas otherwise you'll have almost every single House Republican closing in on you before you can blink."

There was a brief pause in the room after the elder Volker spoke, in fact, it almost became one with the room's whole atmosphere. A fee moments later, but what had seemed like an hour during that interval, Thomas replied.

"Oh, don't worry Sir, I fully intend to." The younger Volker said, looking over at his father once more, he couldn't be certain but to him, it felt like the two of them had developed a feeling of mutual agreement and respect within that silence and one that he felt rather proud of internally.

"Well, I suppose I'd best get going." Thomas said, going over to shake his father's hand as he left. Just before he exited though, his father's voice called him back though, turning around to face the elder Volker, who had remained in his chair during that period they both faced one another as the elder of the two spoke.

"Remember what I said and just make sure that you do finish it, for everyone's sake."

"I will." Came the brief reply before Thomas Volker left and continued on his way, thinking over what his father had said as he did so. He knew what he needed to do to pull it off and now, he was confident that he would do it.
Last edited by Greater Arab State on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am

Senator Colbert after seeing the Virginia results decides to try and convince the RNC that it can't wait until August to define the party. He picks up the phone and calls Lilyana Wolf.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:00 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:Senator Colbert after seeing the Virginia results decides to try and convince the RNC that it can't wait until August to define the party. He picks up the phone and calls Lilyana Wolf.

The Chairwoman pulled out her phone and saw the caller ID of Colbert, again. She kind of groaned before answering.

"Hello, Senator. How can I help you."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Election Night Part V
November 5, 2019

Antony took to welcoming viewers back this time, "Welcome back to our coverage. Eloise and the others are right over there, but I wanted us to take a glance at the Mississippi results out of DeSoto County."

"The way I characterize this is that this replicates a trend of suburban voters backing Democrats in increasing droves, this isn't a complete rout but it's enough for Chip Renfus to lose his statewide absolute majority and be reduced to a plurality. We're still waiting for Hinds County, but this race is going to be the closest Governor's race in Mississippi since 1999," Antony nodded curtly to the panel.

"It's disappointing that we've not had so good a result in Mississippi, and perhaps that's in part because the race has received a lot less attention that the race in Kentucky. It's been said since Texas that some people in the party have been taking things for granted, and I think we have to acknowledge that there are definitely certain people who should be doing more."

“Well, there you have it.” added Winston with a subtle smile, “a close race coming down to the suburbs and issues like healthcare and education.”

"It's very easy for Democrats to win races when they promise the world and then leave it to Republicans four years later to pick up the pieces."

"Since four years ago, the suburbs have become increasingly purple, Aubrey if Democrats are able to win in places like Mississippi, a place with not an awful lot of suburban votes, does that spell disaster next year?" Eloise asked.

"I think our presidential candidates have had a lot more materials and resources to look into issues like education and healthcare. I'm not willing to concede that Republicans have lost the argument, but I am willing to concede that there is something seriously wrong with how we've been getting our message out there, particularly in downballot races,” Aubrey said.

“This is an issue of garnering poor talent in downballot races and those areas considered safely Republican and also an issue of leadership now too, clearly a poor reflection on the RNC and it’s newest chairwoman. Cracks are forming and their ignorance to these issues will be a reckoning.”
Winston adjusting his glasses went on, “And thus solid Democratic candidates are having the chance to break through.”

Aubrey responded, "I think, to take a balanced viewpoint, we should acknowledge that - for circumstances quite beyond anyone's control - the Republican Party has been completely unable to mobilize a full strength surrogate operation on account of the President's illness. Typically in a race such as this, we could have expected President Wolf to visit these states more often but that's been something we've been unable to rely on and that's skewed circumstances. I contest the notion that our candidates are poor though, I think we've seen some very poor Democratic candidates all things considered."

Eloise glanced over at Antony, who spoke up, "I'll share our finalized poll of issues that voters thought confronted them."

"These are voters voting for those candidates, Chip Renfus clearly made some missteps in giving little time to discussing those three issues listed, while Eleanor Brosnan's voting base seemed to prefer she give more time to race issues. That said, Brosnan's voters are still motivated to vote, and are doing so in bigger hordes than Chip Renfus voters," Antony said, "so we'll see just how much this plays into the final tally."

"This could have been expected. The campaigns on the ground - on both sides - were very brief, and very sparse. I don't know if we got as rigorous an examination on the issues than anyone would have liked."

“I would agree there. But both candidates campaigned on Medicaid expansion and generally agreed on some education reform so it’s definitely possible other issues, most of them social ones, would take the forefront.”

"We've spoken a lot about Kentucky and Virginia, but in Mississippi and in Louisiana, which we'll see next week, I think we've had a much stronger front on healthcare, yes."

Antony then popped his head back up on the screen, "I'm sorry to bring myself back out of the woodwork, but we've had two new counties votes flow in convincingly, Hancock and Jasper"

"Jasper voted for Diane Clifford by a four point margin, it's now in Eleanor Brosnan's favour by a fifteen point margin and it's most Democratic precincts are yet to come in, while Hancock which backed the President in 2016 has backed Congressman Renfus along the same lines, if the swings in Jasper are reflective of the wider state as a whole, their last line of defence will be attempting to undercut Democratic margins along the western delta region."

"I'm also now getting more data from Hinds County, gradually but surely, and that's why those who are two-screening will see the margin has significantly narrowed," Antony brought up the statewide tally, a little under an hour after polls had closed.

“It’s clear Renfus is now in a battle for his political life,” declared Winston.

"I mean, he'll still be in the House if he loses, I'm not sure his political life will be over, though it'd certainly put it on ice for some time." Frowning, Aubrey shook her head. "I want to come back to the question of talent you raised earlier, Winston, actually because it's been a notable effect over the past year or so that bright candidates who would serve well in downballot races have been turning their eyes to quixotic races for the Presidency or the Senate - for both parties - and I think that could be, in part, to blame for why this year's results have, frankly, been so eccentric."

“I agree, certainly a lot of attention especially given President Wolf’s announcement. Though Chip Renfus was a solid candidate with solid political experience and a good background. He was well matched against Justice Brosnan so one has to wonder where the problems arose.”

"If Republicans lose one of these races tonight, Aubrey, will heads be rolling at he RNC?" Eloise asked calmly.

"It's hard to say. There's a lot of protection that comes with the President's surname, and it's hard to think of anyone aside from Lilyana Wolf who enjoys such support from her father, but her father is inactive now. The national Republican Party is, it appears, essentially rudderless until the presidential primaries conclude, and so whilst that means that it appears particularly damning for Ms. Wolf, there's also not a lot of people standing ready to challenge her either,” Aubrey managed her response.

"Well, we'll break off for a quick ad break, two very tight, very close races in Kentucky and Mississippi, Antony, you expect to be able to make a declaration in the next hour in Mississippi correct?" Eloise asked.

Antony nodded, "at this rate, by ten we should be able to make the call in Mississippi."

"We'll be back, in just a moment."
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Lilyana Wolf
@realLilyanaWolf

Republicans winning in Kentucky and Mississippi - you wouldn't know that if you tuned into watch (fake news) CNN! They're attacking us for losing even though we are clearly ahead!

Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Puertollano wrote:
(Image)
Lilyana Wolf
@realLilyanaWolf

Republicans winning in Kentucky and Mississippi - you wouldn't know that if you tuned into watch (fake news) CNN! They're attacking us for losing even though we are clearly ahead!

(Image)

Phil Crawford
@PhilCrawfordKY

You are literally tied in two deep red states and the most democratic areas aren’t even reporting yet.
Die nasty!!111

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:55 pm

Election Night in Mississippi

Lime: "Welcome back folks to our Fox News election night coverage I am Peter Lime. The GOP and the Democratic Party are currently in a neck and neck race in Mississippi. We have a panel of 3 guests to examine and dissect the Mississippi Gubnertorial election. First is Lori Swanson the former campaign chair of Attorney General not-Hood's previous attorney general campaigns, in the center is Donald Emorson a political consultant that was hired by President Wolf' campaign to advise them about winning the Gret Lakes, and finally Mark Diamond, former campaign manager of Governor Not-Phil Byrant. Good evening to all of you

Everyone: "Good evening"

Lime: "So let is start with you Donald, why do you think that the election is so close at the moment."

Emorson: "Look... I don't... I don't think that we have been shown so far is reflective of what we will see in the end results, if I had to guess is that they are reporting and counting the ballots from the heavily Democratic precints up first. From what we have seen in internal polling, Brosnan has not done significantly better among black voters, and Rep. Renfus has not done significantly worse to this degree at least among suburban voters. So I don't know what is happening Peter, but if I had to guess given that Renfus has not been bleeding the types of voters that he needs at the type of margins we are seeing tonight, I really think that the end result tonight will be way different to what all the networks are displaying now. It is Mississippi one of the reddest States in the union."

Diamond: "If I could just interrupt right here, sorry if Mr. Emorson was offended. But i think that Mr. Emorson done don't understand fundamentally what Mississippi is, and what Mississippi ain't. Mississippi first and foremost is a turnout state. The State has very few persuadeble voters on either side of the spectrum. The Democrats have their base and they be entrenched real tight, and the Republicans of course have their own base, and they are entrenched real tight as well. What you done need to do be winning Sippi, it ain't no race or what not about catching the mythical swing voter like States such as New Hampshire, that just ain't how we do things here."

Emorson: "Hold up you, that doesn't explain the fact that the campaign has consistently been polling well with a representative sample of Missisippi. How can you account for that big of a polling miss? In one of the easiest states to poll in the union. "

Diamond: "Well look you don't understand what I am trying to get at here."

Swanson: "If I can just jump in real quick. Look what Diamond here be saying is that politics in Sippi be real nice and simple. It ain't about no coalition of 15 million diverse interest groups and what not, politics for both Democrats and Republicans are real simple in this State. With the folks are the right are those evangelicals, and the folks who fly that darn rebel rag around

Diamond: "How now don't you disrespect my heritage you hear my greatgrandpops fought and died under that flag, I won't have you besmirching his memory like that.:

Swanson: "Fine.. the rebel battle flag

Diamond: "Much better""

Swanson: "Well the evangelicals and those "heritage" people if you will make up the Republican coalition in this great State. And to win as a Republican you done need to turn those folks out. But in reality since Mississippi is so red compared to blue, you just need to really fire up one of those groups, and you will win this State. Look Emorson, you be an outsider you don't understand how things work here. Things in Sippi work differently. What Rep. Renfus' campaign was like would have been perfect for one of them Northern States. Mississippi can forgive gaffes and what you Northerners find unconscionable, heck you can make lynching jokes, be dressing up as a Confederate soldier at Beauvoir, and introduce legislation to rename a highway a "Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway", and you can stil win a comfortable victory. But what Mississippi cannot forgive is weakness, real and perceived."

Diamond: "Look I disagree with what Lori said because of the way that she said it. But I have to begrudgingly go along with her central thesis. In Mississippi, the campaign strategy is your base first, your base second, and your base third. I think that as much as I despise Justice Brosnan for her policies she did that without firing up our folks. She didn't do stuff like advocate for homosexual agendas, abortion on demand, and the other liberal Hollywood agenda. She ran a pretty economically populist message for the general and it be firing up the typical Democrat voters, being the African Americans, but I think it also won over some poor whites. Social issues be the glue that you done need to apply to keep those folks in the Repulican coalition. I tell all the candidates that I work for as long you sound like you are from these parts, you advocate for God, for Guns, for our heritage, and denounce your opponent's social liberalism... even if you need to stretch to find it...

Swanson: "You mean lie"

Diamond: "I meant what I said, then I don't care if you be a lobotimzed chimp, you gonna be winning the State. When we done look back at Rep.Renfus' campaign not once did he advocate for an evangelical agenda, and not once did he swear to undertake proactive action to preserve our heritage. He allowed the woman to paint him as somebody who done don't belong to the State. Sippi ain't a hard State to win as a Republican. If you hold up a Bible at rallies, talk and act like you are from these parts, and wave the Rebel colors a little, and whatnot you be winning in a landslide. His mistake is that he done tried to run as a Democrat in this State, so he gonna be polling like a Democrat."

Lime: "Unfortunately that is all the time we have tonight. I appreciate all the insights all 3 of you brought to the table tonight. We will be right back after this quick break."

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Domerstresseistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Domerstresseistan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:
Domerstresseistan wrote:
"Right... I don't recall having any visitors here while I was in the hospital but, eh, who gives a shit." Villy said as he put the wine back and took out some cognac instead. He would pour some for Volker and himself.

"You notice something lately, Tom?" Villy asked while he wheeled back to his desk and then climbed onto his office chair.

“Not particularly Congressman.” Volker asked, curious as to what the Representative would say next.

"As soon as I get the wheelchair.. it seems like the Democrats have finally shut up. They know they'll be twitter-cancelled if they poke at a crippled man such as I. Political Correctness is getting too much in their head, man!" Villy drank his cup of cognac.

"And to think they are the ones winning the recent elections.. oh boy, they don't even got the balls to come at me, a fucking crippled. How in the hell will they have the balls to deal with even bigger issues at-hand then?" He said as he continued to pour some more cognac.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:22 pm

Francine Sullivan
@AlaskanAstronaut
Helping out two strong women in Kentucky and Mississippi tonight has been a pleasure and I only hope they come out on top. My colleague Sen. Dayton also deserves credit for her service in these races, definitely demonstrates the much needed fair and responsible leadership of this party.

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 pm

Lunch with Kathleen
Norfolk, VA
November 6, 2019

At about 11.30AM, Jillian had finished the cleaning involved. She and her husband had mopped up the house, he'd gotten the barbeque going and Jillian had plucked out an appropriate afternoon bottle of apple juice and set up the backyard. The winter air would intensify soon enough, this was probably the last warm day for a while.

Kathleen was expected to arrive in the next ten minutes, so Jillian collapsed on her couch, tired, exhausted. The night before she'd gotten rather intoxicated at the wrap-up party. Celebrations were well earned in her opinion. Democrats had done well across the board. Now, she would entertain Kathleen Nez, Liam would bug the boyfriend by the barbeque while she and Nez sat at the dining table outside.

Then she heard the car outside. They had arrived alas.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 am

Election Night Part VI
November 5, 2019

"Welcome back, a little while ago the Kentucky Secretary of State announced they'd doubled the polling booth workforce to accommodate the unexpected spike in turnout, as a result we have a clearer picture in Kentucky. Clearer picture being that Michelle Dalton has done a good job pushing up turnout in the inner city and swung a few suburbs. Her issue is that while she's pushed up her vote numbers in those areas of Kentucky, she's lost ground for Democrats in regional and rural areas, that backsliding has resulted in her needing to pickup a bigger blob of votes statewide. Currently, she's kept this race incredibly close, to within a tenth of a percentage point," Antony declared quite calmly, ignoring the dumpster fire that was Aubrey and Winston.

"In Mississippi, I'm waiting for more reliable figures out of Hinds County regarding turnout, if Justice Brosnan is able to spike turnout by enough, she will be able to win the most votes, I expect that figure and the ones from outlying regional and suburban areas quite soon," Antony switched screens, fumbling for a moment before bringing up the chart, "what she needs is enough votes here to offset red-county precincts from the outlying areas, not necessarily a swing towards her, but just enough raw votes to outshine in turnout. She will want a healthy buffer, nether Mississippi or Kentucky have automatic recount laws, effectively guaranteeing that the losing side will want to have the dollars spare to fund a recount if they ask for one. If these races remain this close, I expect that both losers would be under immense pressure to seek a recount."

Antony dispatched the audience for an ad break independently, wrapping up another ten minute sprint, then he'd watch more number trickle in. Louisville was flooding in, and the Cincinnati suburbs caught up, then the flood of evangelical exurbs in both states, then Hinds County came in. With both the evangelical and inner-city populations accounted for in Mississippi he was able to press the small "Call" button on his desk, Brosnan needed to perform effectively in Hinds and subdue the flood from Evangelicals, while Renfus needed to do the exact opposite and hope enough inner-city voters had stayed home and his people had come out to vote. Alas, neither candidate could do much more of anything to change the result. The little red button triggered the ten-second wind down and Antony looked back at the camera, the turnout figure in Mississippi had jumped up to 89%. One state down. One to go.

"Welcome back," he said calmly into the camera....
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Kallidrus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kallidrus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:56 pm

The Patrick Residence
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
November 5, 2019

Patrick sat, coffee in hand, staring intently at the TV screen, which illuminated the otherwise dark room - and house for that matter. His wife and kids had long since turned in, but he had already promised himself to stay up and watch the results. Why wouldn't he? He's a member of Congress for God's sake. A commercial flipped on, and he trudged into the kitchen and rinsed out his glass. He looked up out of the window, one of many in the houses. The waves rolled gently onto the shore, seemingly kissing the soft sand of their backyard. Peaceful, yes. Much unlike the world outside of the 15-acre beach property that Jamal Patrick called home, the outside world was full of lies, betrayal, and turmoil. He set the mug on the counter, and walked over to the balcony doors, which were opposite the living room. He walked outside onto the balcony, and stood by the rail. The wind whipped this way and that, lashing at his face and hands. He inhaled the cool, South Carolinian breeze, and looked out onto the horizon. He stared for a moment, then walked inside. Shutting the door, he glanced at the TV. 'Major Projection' flew onto the screen. He then fixed his eyes on the screen, unable to look away. The anchor came on screen. Welcome back..

8 HOURS EARLIER

Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
November 5, 2019

Patrick set the menu down on the table, which was soon after taken by the waitress. He was in a bit of a good mood, oddly enough. He leaned back in his chair, watching as people came and went down the busy street in the middle of Myrtle Beach. His kids were at school, his wife at home. He had asked Trisha to come, but she had wanted to stay home and tidy up the house. Jamal, of course, didn't blame her. With three children, there was never a time when there wasn't crayon on the wall, or spilled apple juice in the kitchen. He almost felt guilty for being at the restaurant, but that guilt was quickly replaced with hunger as the whiffs of his burrito came winding their way out of the kitchen. When it arrived at his table, it was a steaming-hot plate of heaven. He would take a burrito from Abuelo's over any political position any day, and that he stuck by. He began eating, with the rich flavors of the beans, cheese, and meat bursting in his mouth. It was a good time to be alive.

ImageImage
Jamal Patrick
@realjamalpatrick

The true wonder of democracy is that the people choose who represents them; not only in congress, but at the local level such as governors and mayors. I thank God every day that I was born in such a wonderful country, however much Democrats try to destroy it. Happy Election Day! #ElectionNight2019 #ItsAlrightToBeRight #GOP

RETWEETSFAVORITE

ImageImage
Jamal Patrick
@realjamalpatrick

Democrat's version of America is a divided one - often pitting us against each other based on our income level, gender, and social status. Their policies have failed us! It is now that the black community is waking up to the lies and deceit! Democrats have failed us, and no Hollywood movie or bumper sticker can change that.

RETWEETSFAVORITE

ImageImage
Jamal Patrick
@realjamalpatrick

Say no. Say no to liberals using the black community for political gain. Enough is Enough.

RETWEETSFAVORITE

Last edited by Kallidrus on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump/Pence 2020
Bernie 2020
Rep. Jamal Patrick (L-SC)
Gov. Eleanor Cartwright (D-DE) (PENDING) (PAUSED)
Miss Charlotte Ettolrahc (Town Schoolteacher)
Go to wikipedia to check a single fact

;-;

Realize three hours later you know everything about the Soviet Union
https://www.politicalcompass.org/chart?ec=-0.13&soc=0.77

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Election Night Finale
November 5, 2019

"Welcome back," he said calmly into the camera....

"In the past few minutes, a bulk of Mississippi polling precincts have reported their vote tallies and right now. Well, Eleanor Brosnan is leading substantially off the back of a better than expected performance in the state's east," Antony brought up the screen.

"Which gives me complete confidence in projecting that Eleanor Brosnan will win the popular vote of the state of Mississippi," Antony declared confidently.

Winston nodded and beamed at Aubrey.

Eloise looked at Antony and paused, "will she win the Electoral College of Mississippi?"

"Mississippi has never elected the runner up, we're projecting the popular vote win, effectively, deadlocking the Mississippi Gubernatorial Election until January where the State House will decide," Antony confidently projected his hope that democracy would prevail.

"Aubrey, what's on your mind?" Eloise asked.

Pursing her lips, Aubrey continued. "Mississippi is the state we were expected to be strongest in, and perhaps that's why less resources were sent there. There's been less surrogate work there than Kentucky, there's been no ads from the National Committee there. So it comes back to the issue we mentioned earlier over the fact that national support for downballot campaigns has been weak. There's going to have to be a long post-mortem on this one."

"Antony, we have a tweet from the Speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives, Robert Dunn that just got sent out, declaring that Mississippi Republicans will be given a conscience vote on the matter, will this change the arithmetic?" Eloise asked.

"There's a few districts where Brosnan came close to a win, but just didn't get in, I'm certain this will set off a rush for endorsements in the next few days as both Chip Renfus and Eleanor Brosnan will seek to win. What I can guarantee is that Democrats will win the Lieutenant Governor's race, the Governorship is a different equation, but I think Speaker Dunn's declaration effectively seals the deadlocked nature of this win. I class this as a win, because it'll be damn well hard for any Republican to justify voting for Chip Renfus and denying Eleanor Brosnan an election," Antony squinted as he read the live tweet.

"Winston, another win tonight?" Eloise smiled his way.

“It’s another nail in the coffin for the GOP and a sign that their constant focus on certain issues betrayed them. Not because voters don’t care about them but because it doesn’t get people to vote for statewide elections. Representative Renfus focused on railing against undocumented immigrants and culture wars when he should have offered real, concrete policy. It really begs the question what the strategy was there and in other races across the country tonight. And it also raises the question of how representatives like Chip Renfus and the rest of the GOP Caucus are focusing on issues that won’t win them any new voters.”

"I'm sorry, Winston, but polling consistently shows that outside of the Washington bubble, real Americans are concerned about undocumented immigrants and cultural issues. Those are substantive policy areas that are important to people, and we shouldn't diminish that. I stand by my conviction that it is the messaging, not the message, which is at fault."

"Antony has something to share from, I believe Kentucky?" Eloise gestured.

“I said that Aubrey. It’s not that voters don’t care about those issues but that they aren’t a whole campaign.”

“These sloppily put together campaigns of cultural wars, tough on crime issues, and a narrow focus on vilifying their opponents is actually a reoccurring pattern in Texas, Mississippi, and now in Kentucky. Frankly it gives me pause what the GOP is thinking and who they are hiring to manage these campaigns. The Democratic candidates, while by no means flawless, ran standard and inspiring campaigns. Solid candidates but in deep red states still. Basically, it was the perfect storm. But if these keep happening, it’s a bad sign for Republicans," Winston declared, ignoring Eloise.

Eloise gave Winston a frown.

Antony took the screen, "let's quickly check into Kentucky, right now Tara Misra has taken a lead of less than a tenth of a percentage point, under a thousand votes. I'd normally be hesitant to make a declaration on those numbers, but I have to be honest when I say that the swing against Democrats in the rural and regional areas of the state are quite consistent and with the bulk of what's left being in rich red Republican country towns, Republicans under Tara Misra will likely retain the Governorship in Kentucky while fighting tooth and nail for Mississippi."

"There we have it, in quick succession Kentucky and Mississippi have both been called, Mississippi I'm sure will be a clearer picture in the next few days. Aubrey, should either of these have been this close, or in Mississippi, outright losses?" Eloise asked her pointed question.

"No, they shouldn't have been, and as I said, the post-mortem should be deep and incisive. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations, but it was clear that on the whole, since Texas, there is something deeply and significantly wrong with the campaign apparatus, and whilst some people are putting in the work, like the presidential candidates and people like Tom Volker, there's a lot of people who aren't showing, and aren't doing their part."

“I would agree on the surrogacy point. National Democrats flocked to Kentucky, like the former Vice President Vinnie Diehl. And in recent days, others like House Caucus Chair Philip Crawford. Heck, Senator Dayton who we spoke to earlier has campaigned in all three gubernatorial battleground states. I think at times it helped to really show the Democrats are organized and poised to invest despite the electoral history in these states," Winston smiled.

"It's a credit to the Democrats' operation. They put their people on the ground, and that does show," Aubrey conceded.

“As much as some on the right poked fun of the DNC Chairwoman’s trip to Europe, perhaps it should have been the GOP focusing less time on Twitter and more time on the campaign trail.”

Aubrey remained awkwardly silent.

Winston resisted smirking.

"Aubrey, I want to ask, the Speaker's quick declaration of a conscience vote, does that effectively say that Eleanor Brosnan is the next Governor or do you think there'll be a majority of Statehouse members, who would seek to elect Congressman Renfus?" Eloise asked.

"I think it's premature to say anything for certain. Everyone's consciences are individual, and everyone's perceptions are individual. It could entirely go either way," Aubrey calmly said.

“I’m sure many will vote for Renfus, the question is who will dare to cast the vote that will actually put him in the governor’s mansion," Winston warned cryptically.

"Well, I'm sure we'll be hearing speeches in the next few hours, but there you have it, in Kentucky, actress turned politician Michelle Dalton has been defeated by former cabinet Secretary, Tara Misra. In Mississippi, Judge Brosnan has defeated Congressman Renfus for the popular vote, and we'll see what happens there. We'll be back in a few short minutes," Eloise declared.

Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Francine Sullivan
@AlaskanAstronaut
Congratulations to Governor-elect Eleanor Brosnan, an outstanding woman and someone I know will surely be confirmed swiftly by Mississippi‘s legislature.
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41 pm

Karen Brookshire
@BrookshireGal
BIG win in Kentucky for conservatives tonight! What a race, shows that working Americans care about the issues Tara Misra can solve, she’s a solid candidate and a fierce FIGHTER for America! #TeamTara

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 pm

Vinnie Diehl
@TheRealDiehl
What a night! There were many close races tonight and we had even more strong candidates running in them. Congratulations to our big winners tonight and also those who showed no red seat is safe. Now, let’s get ready for 2020!
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Jillian Dayton
@JillianDayton
Eleanor Brosnan will make for an excellent Governor of Mississippi and I am eminently excited to see her raise pay for teachers, expand Medicaid and serve her state.

Jillian Dayton
@JillianDayton
Michelle Dalton can be proud of proving that no seat, no state and no area in our beautiful country is too red to compete in. She made Kentucky competitive, a feat considered impossible, she came damn well near a win and for that we can all be impressed.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:51 pm

John Logan Ruler
@SonOfRuler
Good results in Kentucky, Misra will be a great governor! Questionable results in Mississippi though, maybe a recount will occur? Only fair for my colleague Chip, it should definitely happen!
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:06 am

Speaker Carrie Simone
@MadamSpeaker

The big wins for the Democrats tonight in Virginia and Mississippi, and the close run result in Kentucky, are the clearest sign yet that the legitimate anger of the American people over the uncaring and ineffective rule of the GOP has not dwindled since last year. Next year, there will be a changing of the guard, and ordinary Americans will at last have a government that delivers, a government that will give them the things they deserve - and rightfully expect.

Governor Jonah Prendergast Jr.
@JPJ4USA

It is great to see that the great state of Kentucky hasn't been stolen from us, though we'll all have to keep a keen eye on Mississippi. Irregularities? Maybe just. Chip Renfus should call a recount. Mississippians deserve better than a haughty elitist Democrat!

Senator Augusta Merriam
@NHSenatorMerriam

The GOP has been dealt a stark wakeup call in today's off-year elections, and I would implore my friends and colleagues to consider the very real consequences of pursuing a program for government which is driven by partisan ends, rather than focusing on real issues.

Governor Rudi Kohl
@RK_MN

BIG DEMOCRATIC VICTORIES! The Blue Wave is coming and will sweep the Republicans out of office soon! Eleanor Brosnan is proof that when Democrats get back to their roots on issues, and refuse to get embroiled in the nonsense of the culture war, we can put the stain of Clifford behind us and rise reborn!

John Nathan Lynskey
@JNLynskeyMA

A shame not to pick up Kentucky, though I'm sure this is a sign we can take back the state for ordinary people in four years' time. Mississippians will, I'm sure, be relieved to have a Governor who will respond to the realities they face. And great news out of Virginia! A sign that the times are changing, and that the GOP aren't changing with them!
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:53 am

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
(Image)
Karen Brookshire
@BrookshireGal
BIG win in Kentucky for conservatives tonight! What a race, shows that working Americans care about the issues Tara Misra can solve, she’s a solid candidate and a fierce FIGHTER for America! #TeamTara

Liked and retweeted by Tara Misra
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:55 am

Tara Misra
@Misra4Gov

I would like to give a MAJOR thank you to voters in the state of Kentucky for putting their trust in me. Now it is time that we repay that trust.

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse