NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Restoration (Semi-PMT/Nation/OOC/Dead)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which RP should I do next?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 am

Cold Interbellum
20%
The New Age
20%
The Changed World
10%
Anno 1900
40%
Divided States of America
10%

Total votes : 10

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Tue May 05, 2020 12:22 am

Plzen wrote:
SangMar wrote:But yes, I found the figure on some website that puts a bunch of different figures out. It was in “chained-dollars” (Whatever that means) and dated back to 2009.

Chained dollars are intended to be adjusted for inflation. It means the same thing as real dollars. If your source was chained to 2009 dollars, then that means figures are expressed in 2009 prices.

Basically, think about it this way. Imagine that you have an economy that produces only apples. In 2009, an apple was worth $1, and your income is $2. Now imagine that ten years later, apples are now $2, and your income is $6.

Your nominal income (also sometimes called income in current currency) is whatever you earn this year, which is $6. Your real income in 2009 dollars (also sometimes called chained to 2009) is $3, because your current income buys three apples now, and three apples was $3 back in 2009.

Thanks.

How do I calculate the GDP while incorporating population growth?
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue May 05, 2020 12:25 am

SangMar wrote:How do I calculate the GDP while incorporating population growth?

That is up to you. How immigration affects economic growth is a complicated and controversial issue with no clear-cut answer.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 am

Plzen wrote:
SangMar wrote:How do I calculate the GDP while incorporating population growth?

That is up to you. How immigration affects economic growth is a complicated and controversial issue with no clear-cut answer.

Plzen, do you ever think about films? Like the moment in a film where the main character meets someone who claims to possess knowledge about how to defeat a powerful foe or stop a catastrophe - who after being asked for that piece of ultimate knowledge by the clueless hero, promptly goes: “You are the chosen one, only you can stop this. I’ve played my part...” And then just leaves. Or something like that?
Last edited by SangMar on Tue May 05, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue May 05, 2020 12:44 am

SangMar wrote:Plzen, do you ever think about films? Like the moment in a film where the main character meets someone who claims to possess knowledge about how to defeat a powerful foe or stop a catastrophe - who after being asked for that piece of ultimate knowledge by the clueless hero, promptly goes: “You are the chosen one, only you can stop this. I’ve played my part...” And then just leaves. Or something like that?

Well, if you really want an answer, I'd say that optimistically, "immigration doesn't affect GDP per capita", pessimistically, "immigration doesn't affect GDP", and realistically somewhere in between those two. That should give you a viable range to choose from.

But really, I can do math and define terms if you're unfamiliar with those, but scenario-building is really not my thing.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Tue May 05, 2020 12:44 am

[Do Not Remove - AKSAI]

NS Name:American Pere Housh
RP Name:Pacific States of America (may also include some translations)

Capital:Sacramento
Territory:California, Nevada,Arizona,Baja California,Oregon,Washington State,British Columbia,Alaska,Hawaii,Idaho
Population:75 million
Type of Government:Constitutional Republic
Government Explaination: [optional]
Leader(s):President Alexander Lopez
Image(s) of Leader(s):N/A
Party or Coalition in Power:The United Conservative Party of the Pacific
Executive Title:President (President, King, Prime Minister, Emperor, Supreme Leader, etc)
State Ideology:Center Right (can either be the ideology/ideologies of the ruling party or the country as a whole)
Ethnicity Breakdown:30% Hispanic
55% White
10% Asian
5% Native American/Hawaiian Native

Religion Breakdown:75% Christian(25% Catholic,70% Protestant,5% Orthodox)15% irreligious, 9.9% Jewish, .1% Muslim
Flag:https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/espionage-wars/images/b/bb/PSA.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190717062820
National Anthem: [optional]
National Motto:To Have Peace,You Must Prepare for War
Demonym:PSA
Map Color:Yellow

Public Goals:To extend a hand of friendship to the nations of the world and become allies with the other new nations of the former United States
Private Goals:Bring the Former United States under their control [optional]

Military name:The Pacific Armed Forces
Military branches:The Pacific Army,The Pacific Navy,The Pacific Air Force,The Pacific Marine Corp. (army, navy, air force, marine corps, gendarmerie, etc)
Total military size:1.2 million
Breakdown of ground force(s):700,000
Breakdown of naval force(s):300,000
Breakdown of air force(s):150,000
Breakdown of other branch(es):50,000
Extra military information:wip (brief history, branch explanation, equipment, skills, etc)

GDP:$4.1 Trillion
GDP per Capita:$77,000

Currency:Pacific Dollar
Currency and value of currency compared to USD:.90 PD to 1.00 USD

Major Domestic Issues:Environment, Immigration
Major Foreign Issues:WiP

History:WiP (Must line up with already established history)
RP Example: (required, unless I know you)

How is this so far?
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 am

Plzen wrote:
SangMar wrote:Plzen, do you ever think about films? Like the moment in a film where the main character meets someone who claims to possess knowledge about how to defeat a powerful foe or stop a catastrophe - who after being asked for that piece of ultimate knowledge by the clueless hero, promptly goes: “You are the chosen one, only you can stop this. I’ve played my part...” And then just leaves. Or something like that?

Well, if you really want an answer, I'd say that optimistically, "immigration doesn't affect GDP per capita", pessimistically, "immigration doesn't affect GDP", and realistically somewhere in between those two. That should give you a viable range to choose from.

But really, I can do math and define terms if you're unfamiliar with those, but scenario-building is really not my thing.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to press you for an answer. It was supposed to come across as lighthearted.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 am

American Pere Housh wrote:Territory:California, Nevada,Arizona,Baja California,Oregon,Washington State,British Columbia,Alaska,Hawaii,Idaho

I'm pretty sure much of that territory is already reserved under Cascadia. The reserved players list isn't fully up to date.

Review here.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue May 05, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Tue May 05, 2020 12:54 am

Whats with all the extremely high GDP per Capitas, the world literally collapsed, I think the fact that theres more than one nation higher than 40K is already unrealistic, but multiple is just too much, I think most nations should be hovering somewhere between 20 and 35K like this RP should be as much about rebuilding and restructuring your economy as it should be about warfare and geopolitics.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:Whats with all the extremely high GDP per Capitas, the world literally collapsed, I think the fact that theres more than one nation higher than 40K is already unrealistic, but multiple is just too much, I think most nations should be hovering somewhere between 20 and 35K like this RP should be as much about rebuilding and restructuring your economy as it should be about warfare and geopolitics.

I get that. But it can’t be helped - if everyone gets a high GDP per capita, and they’re actually working it out properly, then there’s nothing more to be done.

At the very least, we could make sure everyone does it properly? You know, divide GDP of country by population?

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue May 05, 2020 1:00 am

SangMar wrote:At the very least, we could make sure everyone does it properly? You know, divide GDP of country by population?

It's pretty much what I do here... if applications are not internally self-consistent or completely absurd, I'll point it out. Whether an application is realistic or suited for the setting... is the OP's business and none of mine.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Tue May 05, 2020 1:02 am

Plzen wrote:
SangMar wrote:At the very least, we could make sure everyone does it properly? You know, divide GDP of country by population?

It's pretty much what I do here... if applications are not internally self-consistent I'll point it out. Whether an application is realistic or suited for the setting... is the OP's business and none of mine.

I mean, I did it - bad maths aside, and my GDP per capita was $83,000?

So I really don’t know what I can do.

Oostfalea
Attaché

Founded: Sep 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Oostfalea » Tue May 05, 2020 3:46 am

[Do Not Remove - AKSAI]

NS Name: Oostfalea
RP Name: United Asian States (Malay: Asia Syarikat, Indonesian: Asia Serikat, Tagalog: Estados Unidos ng Asya), colliqually known as "The States" by its citizens or "United Asia" in the West

Capital: Pontianak
Territory: These (Malaysia, Singapore, Phillippines, Indonesia [with some parts removed])
Population: Total population: 441,700,000. With relatively stable population growth rates of roughly 1% a year, Indonesia is United Asia's most populous component country, with roughly 280 million inhabitants, followed by the Phillippines with roughly 120 million, Malaysia with 35.2 million, and Singapore with 6.5 million.
Type of Government: Federal Presidential Republic
Government Explanation: The President is both the Head of State and Head of Government, elected once every five years and renewable once. The President directs the executive branch of government and the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. The Vice-Presidential candidate running with the Presidential candidate must be from a different party. Each constituent country (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Phillippines) elects a Prime Minister to run state affairs once every five years, renewable once. Each province in each state elects a Governor once every five years, renewable twice. In the case of Singapore, the Governor and Prime Minister are the same.

The Asian People's Assembly (APA) (Malay: Majlis Rakyat Asia, Indonesian: Majelis Rakyat Asia, Tagalog: Assembly ng mga Tao sa Asya) is the highest legislative branch of the Asian State's political system. The Senate of the United Asian States is the upper chamber of the APA, made up of senators who each represent a province or autonomous entity in the United Asian States. The National Restoration Council of the United Asian States (NRC) is the lower chamber of the APA. The NRC is elected by national election once every five years, by proportional representation. A party must, however, get more than 3% of the vote to gain a seat in the NRC.

Holding elections in the large nation is a challenge, with vote fraud, corruption, electoral violence, gerrymandering and outright assassination common.
Leader(s):
President: Yohanes "Yose" Eka Setiawan (Restoration Party)
Vice-President: Hadi Abdul-Qadir (Islamic Revolutionary Party)

Prime Minister of Indonesia: Darmawan (Restoration Party)
Prime Minister of the Phillippines: Jacob "Jake" Manuel Viloria (Liberal Alliance)
Prime Minister of Malaysia: Karim Iskandar (United Malays National Organization)
Prime Minister of Singapore: Brandon Lee Wei Kang (People's Action Party)
Image(s) of Leader(s): Yose
Party or Coalition in Power: United Alliance of Malay Peoples (known by its Indonesian name, Aliansi Bersatu Warga Melayu. Consists of the Restoration Party, Liberal Alliance, United Malays National Organization, People's Action Party & Party of the Democratic Forces and nominally supported by the Islamic Revolutionary Party)
Executive Title: President
State Ideology: The state's official ideology can be described by its national philosophical foundation of Empat Panduan (lit. the Four Guides); Demokrasi, Pluralisme, Keadilan, Kesatuan (Democracy, Pluralism, Equality, Unity).
Ethnicity Breakdown: With over 800 ethnic groups in the Asian States, the government has amalgamated several similar groups for ease of use. Javanese people make up 17% of the country's population, and can be found almost everywhere in the country. Following closely are the Tagalog people and Malaysian Malays. The proportion of minorities such as the Chinese and Dayaks have decreased significantly due to the merger of the four countries, however many Chinese have emigrated internally to Singapore; 86% of its population is Chinese. Metropolitan areas such as Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore and Cebu City have seen large amounts of rural-urban migration, putting a strain on the city authority's resources.
Religion Breakdown: 67% adhere to Sunni Islam, largely in Indonesia, Malaysia and Mindanao. The next largest group are Catholics in the Philippines, which make up almost 23%. Smaller Christian churches, such as Protestantism, are concentrated in Western Java and Ambon. Irreligion has seen a rise in metropolitan areas, notably Jakarta and Singapore; in the latter example, 50% do not adhere to a religion. Buddhism is popular in Northern Borneo. Under the Four Guides, Freedom of Religion is guaranteed (Pluralism), however, this has not stopped large anti-Christian and anti-Muslim rallies in Jakarta and Manila respectively. President Setiawan's Vice President, Abdul-Qadir, has a history of hate speech.
Flag: FLAG
National Anthem: Bendera Kami Berkibar (Malay for Our Flag Flies)
National Motto: Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Javanese for Unity in Diversity)
Demonym: "Malayan" is popular among ethnically Malay people. Another suggestion has been put forward to simply refer to the citizens of the United Asian States as "Asian".
Map Color: Red

Public Goals: To maintain the newly formed United Asian States, to seek friendly relations with neighbours
Private Goals: President Setiawan wishes to push for a more secular society, as well as to reintegrate Aceh and West Papua into the country of Indonesia, by diplomacy or force.

Military name: National Armed Forces of the United Asian States (Tentera Nasional Asia Serikat; TNAS)
Military branches: Army (TNAS-Angkatan Darat), Air Force (TNAS-Angkatan Udara), Navy (TNAS-Angkatan Laut), Marine Corps (TNAS-Korps Marinir), Coast Guard (Penjagaan Laut & Pantai; PELAP), National Guard (Pertahanan Rakyat, lit. People's Defence)
Total military size: 255,000 active, 400,000 reserve personnel
Breakdown of ground force(s): With continued violence in the border regions of the nation (Aceh, Papua, Borneo and Mindanao), the Army has received the lion's share of the defence budget. Numbering roughly 130,000 active personnel, they see active service in the suppression of the ongoing Islamist insurgency on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Mindanao. Despite large amounts of funding, the Angkatan Darat has faced significant problems with factional infighting, corruption, and occasional violence directed towards civilians. The army maintains one tank division, the 1st Combined Armoured Division, equipped with former Singaporean and Indonesian Leopard 2s. Much of the line infantry fight on foot, with armoured vehicles being a rarity and fuel in short supply. The Special Forces Command (SPECOM) maintains a single Airborne division, the United Airborne Division "Thunderbolts", which is the most well-equipped formation in the army. Conventional air troops include two divisions of Air Assault Infantry, relatively well-equipped infantrymen trained to insert and extract using helicopters. Due to a lack of attack helicopters (and helicopters in general), the same transports used to transport troops to the battlefield are armed with rocket pods and machineguns to provide aerial support.
Breakdown of naval force(s): With thousands of islands, the navy has a difficult task in defending its shores from incursion by insurgents. It possesses 2 amphibious assault ships of considerable vintage, 17 frigates, 36 corvettes, 30 patrol vessels, 130 attack craft, 5 submarines and various support vessels. The navy maintains a sizable marine corps, though many use outdated equipment and do not attend annual exercises.
Breakdown of air force(s): The Air Force possesses 200 fighter aircraft, mostly from Singapore and Indonesia. It also has 7 large ELINT aircraft, as well as sophisticated ground-based radar.
Breakdown of other branch(es): The National Guard was established to prevent Islamist elements from implanting into the villages and small towns of the country. Every member is to work with the government in matters of information and intelligence, defence of the village and carrying out infrastructure projects. To push for more people to join the national guard, the government has rolled out incentives such as free education for children of members, subsidized healthcare and rewards for the capture of insurgents. Members of "frontline villages" have been known to be targeted by insurgents, in a recent example, two members of the National Guard were beheaded in a video released by the insurgents for collaborating with the central government.
Extra military information: Leadership is largely decentralized, with officers being thought that they would know what is best for the situation at hand. Scout Ranger School is one of the most prestigious schools in the Army, moulding quick-thinking, independent leaders who can carry out a task without the need for intrusion from the higher-ups. However, this had led to cases of companies of "cowboys" roaming the jungles, who extort the local population of food and money. Others may sell weapons to the insurgents themselves for a quick profit. Numerous officers have denied that their men have been involved in these illicit activities. Modernization has slowed to a glacial pace, what with the systematic corruption and general lack of urgency in the government. Nepotism is also prevalent in the armed forces.

GDP: 32 trillion UAD/5 trillion USD, the most productive regions are Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Singapore
GDP per Capita: 72,447.36 UAD per capita/11,319.9 USD per capita (assuming 2020 USD)

Currency: The currency is the United Asian Dollar, which has replaced the old Singapore Dollar, Indonesian Rupiah, Malaysian Ringgit and Philippine Peso.
Currency and value of currency compared to USD: 6.4 UAD --> 1 USD

Major Domestic Issues: Rapid economic growth has left many from the lower-class behind, radical Islamic insurgencies in Sumatra and Mindanao, racial and ethnic distrust still an issue, economic disparity between different races, religious differences between the largely Muslim south and the Catholic north.
Major Foreign Issues: Secession of Aceh and Northern Sumatra, as well as Western Papua has led to general unrest and non-compliance in the government

History:
Part I: The Question of A Unified State
The Greater Malayan Confederation had already been proposed when the nations of South East Asia had gained independence from their colonial overlords. The idea of 'Maphilindo' was dashed in 1963, when Indonesian president Sukarno undertook the policy of Konfrontasi (Confrontation) with the British and Malaysia. These ideals of brotherhood were not lost, however, when in 1967 the South East Asian nations signed the ASEAN declaration to promote regional peace, economic growth and mutual assistance. By the late 2020s, the question of a unified state arose once more, when the President of Indonesia and Prime Minister of Malaysia met in Kuala Lumpur. President Wiranto said in an interview after the meeting that the 'unified Malay state' was a point of interest in their conversations. The two nations later signed the Pan-Malayan Pact with Brunei, which sought to create a free market zone. Several leaders in the following years met and discussed the possibilities of a merger before Prime Minister Ahmad of Malaysia declared in 2036 that the roadmap for a South-East Asian state will be realized in the coming years.

"It is the one target we all aim for," he stated.

Part II: Economic uncertainty and the collapse of the USA
The sharpest decline in the economies of South-East Asia followed the collapse of the world's strongest nation, the USA. By 2041, Malaysian-Indonesian trade accounted for almost 40% of the nation's economy. The Phillippines, a former ally of the United States, now no longer possessed the partners it once had and in August of 2041, expressed interest in joining the new state. A further contracting economy and civil unrest moved the governments of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Phillippines to expedite the union. Brunei however, one of the original signatories of the Pan-Malayan Pact, fell out with the other nations over matters of politics; Brunei being a hereditary absolute monarchy did not want a democratic system imposed on it by the new other three nations, and withdrew from the Pan-Malayan Pact. Opponents became more vocal, however; economists stated that certain parts of the new nations were far more impoverished than others, while several religious organizations worried that the marginalization of their religion would lead to repression by the majority. The first violent protests against union occurred in Kuala Lumpur and Manila, which were eventually put down.

Immanuel Corazon, leader of the 'Oppose Union' alliance warned, "It will be an unhappy and bloody marriage,"

Part III: The Unhappy Marriage
On the 8th of August 2047, the day of the founding of ASEAN, the new flag of the United Asian States was hoisted over the government buildings of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, alongside the former national flags. The old currencies would be replaced with the new United Asian Dollar by February of 2048. In light of the unrest in neighbouring regions of the world, the new Constitution adopted the ideology of Empat Panduan, the Four Guides, which promised democracy, pluralism, equality and unity. The founder of the ideology, and first President of the new republic, was Kamal Setiawan, father of current president Yose Setiawan. Empat Panduan was pushed aggressively in schools, and all public servants were to recite the mantra before work, under supervision. Perhaps the new ideology was pushed too aggressively, with many conservative thinkers in the rural areas seeing this as an affront to their beliefs. This was especially true in northern Sumatra, where Sharia law was enforced since 2004. Many took this new, explicitly secular government as hostile. The old Indonesian ideology of Pancasila had codified a belief in a single, almighty God as law, and now this man sought to change all of this? No, they thought to themselves and formed the New Aceh Liberation Army (FALA). Thus began a series of violent attacks on government buildings, military bases and banks which could be described as the 2nd Aceh Insurgency.

While this was ongoing, Singapore, which now relies on trade with the UAS, expressed interest in joining the fledgeling nation, seeking a common market. Talks had been ongoing for two years prior, and finally, on the 19th of October 2048, Singapore joined the UAS after a referendum, where 53% voted to join. Several concessions were made to the 4th country; it would maintain its own armed forces, contribute fewer taxes towards the federal government and would have 4 seats in the Senate. President Setiawan agreed to these terms.

Government forces were losing their grip on central and southern Sumatra as infiltrating insurgents attacked the headquarters of several army units and stole weapons and supplies from the troops. By now the Free Aceh Liberation Army was hijacked by the Jemaah Islamiah, an extremist Southeast Asian Islamist rebel group and were closing in on Palembang, a major city in the South of Sumatra. As the disorganized and poorly-led UAS forces fled the city, looting and racial violence broke out in the central neighbourhoods. Chinese shops were burned and their owners hung from street lamps. The rioting carried out for 3 days before FALA forces captured the city.

Pluralism was put to the test in 2049 when several high ranking members of the Muslim clergy spoke ill towards "the Christians in Luzon" on live television. The Pan-Malayan Islamic Council condemned these statements the day after but the damage had already been done. Archbishop of the Philippines Louis Emmanuel Valdez spoke out against the attempted "oppression of the Filipinos through the use of religious dogma". The ensuing religious violence in Java and Mindanao would carry on until today. In an attempt to please the insurgents, President Setiawan offered to issue a referendum to the people of Aceh; they could vote to leave the UAS if they stopped the advance toward Southern Sumatra. West Papuan and Mindanaoan independence leaders moved for their own referendums to be held, which the APA approved.

On the 1st of February, 2050, Aceh and Northern Sumatra left the Union, followed by West Papua and Irian Jaya in May. In both referendums, over 60% voted to leave the Union. Mindanao remained in the Union, with 48% voting to leave. FALA forces withdrew north to the new border. Jemaah Islamiah continued their fight in the hills in Western Sumatra, remaining a thorn in the side of local and government forces.

Part IV: A Happy Marriage (?)
The new Union already faced many challenges in its short existence. Many affluent Chinese from across the country were moving to Singapore, which had lower tax rates on the rich than the rest of the nation. The loss of Aceh and Papua had been a significant loss of face to Setiawan and his government, who were viewed as to have negotiated with extremists by the rest of the nation. Effigies of Kamal were burned in the streets of Surabaya and Singapore, shouting that Setiawan was unfit to lead the new nation. Unemployment was at record highs of 20%, and social programmes had not delivered what was promised. On the 8th of August, during the Union Day address, President Setiawan was shot twice in the back of the head by a security guard, who was in turn shot dead by a member of the crowd. Overnight the President turned from a disgraced politician into a martyr.

The President's son, Yohanes, or more popularly known as Yose, was selected by the APA to become the interim president of the UAS until the next election could be held in 2052. On the 2nd of November, the first meeting of Prime Ministers with the new President in the Presidential Palace in Pontianak displayed unity in the face of adversity. It was later mandated by the Ministry of Information that the image of the President standing next to the Prime Ministers of the four countries of the United Asian States be shown on all government websites, newspapers and UAS news.

In 2052, Yose comfortably won the presidential election, but his party did not win a majority in the APA. As a show of good faith, Yose selected an Islamist candidate, Hadi Abdul-Qadir, to become his vice-presidential candidate. Yose's Restoration Party's centrist views did not mesh well will the conservative Islamic Revolutionary Party, but without the IRP, Yose might alienate the more conservative rural voters.

The Linguistic Reform law of 2053 pushed for English to become the Lingua Franca of the Union. All children from the age of 6 were to attend compulsory English classes. In his attempts to make the Union more homogenized, he further alienated his Vice-President, who wanted to push Malay as the national language of the country.

More liberal reforms, such as the restriction of religious programming on television, restricting the activities of religious schools and the repeal of the mandate for women to wear hijabs in the public sector met with backlash from conservative groups as well as the United Malays National Organization, a member of the ruling coalition. The increasing conservative movement against Yose came to a head when in December 2054 several demonstrations broke out in Johor, Surabaya and Bandung, protesting against the increasing speed at which society was changing. Demonstrations occurred in Manila as well by Christian groups who saw themselves being sidelined by the majority-Muslim government. Luddite protests also broke out as thousands of people were losing their jobs to automated production lines. The military had to be called in to protect several foreign-owned factories which produced cars, shoes, mobile products and milled flour. With the needs of four drastically different constituent countries to look out for, a never-ending guerilla conflict with Islamist and separatist movements to deal with, as well as ingrained ethnic tensions and economic divides to settle, the young nation of the United Asian States faces stiff challenges in the years ahead.
RP Example: part 1
part 2, both in the same series
I post under oostfalea. Terudel and Nestiland are 2 different other people

Arvenia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Arvenia » Tue May 05, 2020 3:50 am

American Pere Housh wrote:
[Do Not Remove - AKSAI]

NS Name:American Pere Housh
RP Name:Pacific States of America (may also include some translations)

Capital:Sacramento
Territory:California, Nevada,Arizona,Baja California,Oregon,Washington State,British Columbia,Alaska,Hawaii,Idaho
Population:75 million
Type of Government:Constitutional Republic
Government Explaination: [optional]
Leader(s):President Alexander Lopez
Image(s) of Leader(s):N/A
Party or Coalition in Power:The United Conservative Party of the Pacific
Executive Title:President (President, King, Prime Minister, Emperor, Supreme Leader, etc)
State Ideology:Center Right (can either be the ideology/ideologies of the ruling party or the country as a whole)
Ethnicity Breakdown:30% Hispanic
55% White
10% Asian
5% Native American/Hawaiian Native

Religion Breakdown:75% Christian(25% Catholic,70% Protestant,5% Orthodox)15% irreligious, 9.9% Jewish, .1% Muslim
Flag:https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/espionage-wars/images/b/bb/PSA.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190717062820
National Anthem: [optional]
National Motto:To Have Peace,You Must Prepare for War
Demonym:PSA
Map Color:Yellow

Public Goals:To extend a hand of friendship to the nations of the world and become allies with the other new nations of the former United States
Private Goals:Bring the Former United States under their control [optional]

Military name:The Pacific Armed Forces
Military branches:The Pacific Army,The Pacific Navy,The Pacific Air Force,The Pacific Marine Corp. (army, navy, air force, marine corps, gendarmerie, etc)
Total military size:1.2 million
Breakdown of ground force(s):700,000
Breakdown of naval force(s):300,000
Breakdown of air force(s):150,000
Breakdown of other branch(es):50,000
Extra military information:wip (brief history, branch explanation, equipment, skills, etc)

GDP:$4.1 Trillion
GDP per Capita:$77,000

Currency:Pacific Dollar
Currency and value of currency compared to USD:.90 PD to 1.00 USD

Major Domestic Issues:Environment, Immigration
Major Foreign Issues:WiP

History:WiP (Must line up with already established history)
RP Example: (required, unless I know you)

How is this so far?

British Columbia, Idaho, Alaska, Oregon and Washington, as well as the northernmost part of California, are taken by Sarderia, who will RP as the Federal Republic of Cascadia. Also, the Pacific States of America is technically a lost cause.
Pro: Political Pluralism, Centrism, Liberalism, Liberal Democracy, Social Democracy, Sweden, USA, UN, ROC, Japan, South Korea, Monarchism, Republicanism, Sci-Fi, Animal Rights, Gender Equality, Mecha, Autism, Environmentalism, Secularism, Religion and LGBT Rights
Anti: Racism, Sexism, Nazism, Fascism, EU, Socialism, Adolf Hitler, Neo-Nazism, KKK, Joseph Stalin, PRC, North Korea, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Communism, Ultraconservatism, Ultranationalism, Xenophobia, Homophobia, Transphobia, WBC, Satanism, Mormonism, Anarchy, ISIS, al-Qaeda, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 969 Movement, Political Correctness, Anti-Autistic Sentiment, Far-Right, Far-Left, Cultural Relativism, Anti-Vaxxers, Scalpers and COVID-19

Arvenia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 21, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Arvenia » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 am

Ha Liang wrote:
Arvenia wrote:I got a list of candiates for my country and I am still conflicted. These are so far:
  • Republic of California (California, Nevada, Baja California, Baja California Sur, Hawaii, Sonora, Sinaloa, Western Arizona and Southern Arizona)
  • Republic of Korea (Korean Peninsula, Heilongjiang Province, Jilin Province, Liaoning Province, Xilin Gol, Hulunbuir, Chifeng, Tongliao, Hinggan, Jeju, Primorsky Krai, Liancourt Rocks and Tsushima Island)
  • Federal Empire of Germany/German Empire/Greater German Confederation (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Alsace-Lorraine, South Tyrol, Karlovarský Region, Plzeň Region, Ústecký Region and German-Speaking Community of Belgium)
  • Manchu Empire (Heilongjiang Province, Jilin Province, Liaoning Province, Beijing, Tianjin, Qingyang, Inner Mongolia, Hebei Province, Shanxi Province, Shaanxi Province, Primorsky Krai and Jewish Autonomous Oblast)
  • Federal Republic of Australasia (Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Western New Guinea, Nauru, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands and Maluku Islands)
  • Republic of Nejd (Saudi Eastern Province, Riyadh Region, Najran, Al-Qassim Region, Ha'il Region, Al-Jawf Region, Northern Borders Region, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, UAE and Musandam Governorate)
  • Greater Colombian Republic (Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama, Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Guayana Esequiba, Trinidad and Tobago)
  • Federation of India (Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Goa, Sindhudurg District, Ratnagiri District, Kolhapur District, Sangli District, Solapur District, Sukma District, Bijapur District, Bastar District, Danteweda District, Malkangiri District, Koraput District and Andobar Islands)
  • Midwestern States of America (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and Minnesota)
  • Shannonist Republic of America (Washington DC, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and Ohio)
  • Maghreb/Tamazgh/Amazigha (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Asawad, Ceuta, Melilla, Canary Islands and Western Sahara)
  • Sixth French Republic (Île-de-France, Hauts-de-France, Centre-Val de Loire, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, Grand East, Upper Normandy and Wallonia)
  • Kingdom of Bengal (Bangladesh, Northeast India, Maungdaw District, West Bengal, Odisha and Bihar)
  • Central Asian Union (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan and Xinjiang)
  • Democratic Republic of Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Isan, Yunnan, Guangxi, Guizhou, Shan State and Kachin State)
  • Federative Republic of Brazil (Brazil and Uruguay)

Some of these claim waay to much land like Indochina, Central asia, Brazil, Maghreb, Colombia, and australasia. i’d suggest something small that you can control and yet still relevant like Korea

I see. At least Korea is a bit small and still relevant, but I can tone down on California, Germany, Bengal, India and the Midwestern States.
Pro: Political Pluralism, Centrism, Liberalism, Liberal Democracy, Social Democracy, Sweden, USA, UN, ROC, Japan, South Korea, Monarchism, Republicanism, Sci-Fi, Animal Rights, Gender Equality, Mecha, Autism, Environmentalism, Secularism, Religion and LGBT Rights
Anti: Racism, Sexism, Nazism, Fascism, EU, Socialism, Adolf Hitler, Neo-Nazism, KKK, Joseph Stalin, PRC, North Korea, Russia, Iran, Saudi-Arabia, Communism, Ultraconservatism, Ultranationalism, Xenophobia, Homophobia, Transphobia, WBC, Satanism, Mormonism, Anarchy, ISIS, al-Qaeda, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 969 Movement, Political Correctness, Anti-Autistic Sentiment, Far-Right, Far-Left, Cultural Relativism, Anti-Vaxxers, Scalpers and COVID-19

Ha Liang
Secretary

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ha Liang » Tue May 05, 2020 7:10 am

Oostfalea wrote:
[Do Not Remove - AKSAI]

NS Name: Oostfalea
RP Name: United Asian States (Malay: Asia Syarikat, Indonesian: Asia Serikat, Tagalog: Estados Unidos ng Asya), colliqually known as "The States" by its citizens or "United Asia" in the West

Capital: Pontianak
Territory: These (Malaysia, Singapore, Phillippines, Indonesia [with some parts removed])
Population: Total population: 441,700,000. With relatively stable population growth rates of roughly 1% a year, Indonesia is United Asia's most populous component country, with roughly 280 million inhabitants, followed by the Phillippines with roughly 120 million, Malaysia with 35.2 million, and Singapore with 6.5 million.
Type of Government: Federal Presidential Republic
Government Explanation: The President is both the Head of State and Head of Government, elected once every five years and renewable once. The President directs the executive branch of government and the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces. The Vice-Presidential candidate running with the Presidential candidate must be from a different party. Each constituent country (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Phillippines) elects a Prime Minister to run state affairs once every five years, renewable once. Each province in each state elects a Governor once every five years, renewable twice. In the case of Singapore, the Governor and Prime Minister are the same.

The Asian People's Assembly (APA) (Malay: Majlis Rakyat Asia, Indonesian: Majelis Rakyat Asia, Tagalog: Assembly ng mga Tao sa Asya) is the highest legislative branch of the Asian State's political system. The Senate of the United Asian States is the upper chamber of the APA, made up of senators who each represent a province or autonomous entity in the United Asian States. The National Restoration Council of the United Asian States (NRC) is the lower chamber of the APA. The NRC is elected by national election once every five years, by proportional representation. A party must, however, get more than 3% of the vote to gain a seat in the NRC.

Holding elections in the large nation is a challenge, with vote fraud, corruption, electoral violence, gerrymandering and outright assassination common.
Leader(s):
President: Yohanes "Yose" Eka Setiawan (Restoration Party)
Vice-President: Hadi Abdul-Qadir (Islamic Revolutionary Party)

Prime Minister of Indonesia: Darmawan (Restoration Party)
Prime Minister of the Phillippines: Jacob "Jake" Manuel Viloria (Liberal Alliance)
Prime Minister of Malaysia: Karim Iskandar (United Malays National Organization)
Prime Minister of Singapore: Brandon Lee Wei Kang (People's Action Party)
Image(s) of Leader(s): Yose
Party or Coalition in Power: United Alliance of Malay Peoples (known by its Indonesian name, Aliansi Bersatu Warga Melayu. Consists of the Restoration Party, Liberal Alliance, United Malays National Organization, People's Action Party & Party of the Democratic Forces and nominally supported by the Islamic Revolutionary Party)
State Ideology: The state's official ideology can be described by its national philosophical foundation of Empat Panduan (lit. the Four Guides); Demokrasi, Pluralisme, Keadilan, Kesatuan (Democracy, Pluralism, Equality, Unity).
Ethnicity Breakdown: With over 800 ethnic groups in the Asian States, the government has amalgamated several similar groups for ease of use. Javanese people make up 17% of the country's population, and can be found almost everywhere in the country. Following closely are the Tagalog people and Malaysian Malays. The proportion of minorities such as the Chinese and Dayaks have decreased significantly due to the merger of the four countries, however many Chinese have emigrated internally to Singapore; 86% of its population is Chinese. Metropolitan areas such as Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore and Cebu City have seen large amounts of rural-urban migration, putting a strain on the city authority's resources.
Religion Breakdown: 67% adhere to Sunni Islam, largely in Indonesia, Malaysia and Mindanao. The next largest group are Catholics in the Philippines, which make up almost 23%. Smaller Christian churches, such as Protestantism, are concentrated in Western Java and Ambon. Irreligion has seen a rise in metropolitan areas, notably Jakarta and Singapore; in the latter example, 50% do not adhere to a religion. Buddhism is popular in Northern Borneo. Under the Four Guides, Freedom of Religion is guaranteed (Pluralism), however, this has not stopped large anti-Christian and anti-Muslim rallies in Jakarta and Manila respectively. President Setiawan's Vice President, Abdul-Qadir, has a history of hate speech.
Flag: FLAG
National Anthem: Bendera Kami Berkibar (Malay for Our Flag Flies)
National Motto: Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Javanese for Unity in Diversity)
Demonym: "Malayan" is popular among ethnically Malay people. Another suggestion has been put forward to simply refer to the citizens of the United Asian States as "Asian".
Map Color: Red

Public Goals: To maintain the newly formed United Asian States, to seek friendly relations with neighbours
Private Goals: President Setiawan wishes to push for a more secular society, as well as to reintegrate Aceh and West Papua into the country of Indonesia, by diplomacy or force.

Military name: National Armed Forces of the United Asian States (Tentera Nasional Asia Serikat; TNAS)
Military branches: Army (TNAS-Angkatan Darat), Air Force (TNAS-Angkatan Udara), Navy (TNAS-Angkatan Laut), Marine Corps (TNAS-Korps Marinir), Coast Guard (Penjagaan Laut & Pantai; PELAP), National Guard (Pertahanan Rakyat, lit. People's Defence)
Total military size: 255,000 active, 400,000 reserve personnel
Breakdown of ground force(s): With continued violence in the border regions of the nation (Aceh, Papua, Borneo and Mindanao), the Army has received the lion's share of the defence budget. Numbering roughly 130,000 active personnel, they see active service in the suppression of the ongoing Islamist insurgency on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Mindanao. Despite large amounts of funding, the Angkatan Darat has faced significant problems with factional infighting, corruption, and occasional violence directed towards civilians. The army maintains one tank division, the 1st Combined Armoured Division, equipped with former Singaporean and Indonesian Leopard 2s. Much of the line infantry fight on foot, with armoured vehicles being a rarity and fuel in short supply. The Special Forces Command (SPECOM) maintains a single Airborne division, the United Airborne Division "Thunderbolts", which is the most well-equipped formation in the army. Conventional air troops include two divisions of Air Assault Infantry, relatively well-equipped infantrymen trained to insert and extract using helicopters. Due to a lack of attack helicopters (and helicopters in general), the same transports used to transport troops to the battlefield are armed with rocket pods and machineguns to provide aerial support.
Breakdown of naval force(s): With thousands of islands, the navy has a difficult task in defending its shores from incursion by insurgents. It possesses 2 amphibious assault ships of considerable vintage, 17 frigates, 36 corvettes, 30 patrol vessels, 130 attack craft, 5 submarines and various support vessels. The navy maintains a sizable marine corps, though many use outdated equipment and do not attend annual exercises.
Breakdown of air force(s): The Air Force possesses 200 fighter aircraft, mostly from Singapore and Indonesia. It also has 7 large ELINT aircraft, as well as sophisticated ground-based radar.
Breakdown of other branch(es): The National Guard was established to prevent Islamist elements from implanting into the villages and small towns of the country. Every member is to work with the government in matters of information and intelligence, defence of the village and carrying out infrastructure projects. To push for more people to join the national guard, the government has rolled out incentives such as free education for children of members, subsidized healthcare and rewards for the capture of insurgents. Members of "frontline villages" have been known to be targeted by insurgents, in a recent example, two members of the National Guard were beheaded in a video released by the insurgents for collaborating with the central government.
Extra military information: Leadership is largely decentralized, with officers being thought that they would know what is best for the situation at hand. Scout Ranger School is one of the most prestigious schools in the Army, moulding quick-thinking, independent leaders who can carry out a task without the need for intrusion from the higher-ups. However, this had led to cases of companies of "cowboys" roaming the jungles, who extort the local population of food and money. Others may sell weapons to the insurgents themselves for a quick profit. Numerous officers have denied that their men have been involved in these illicit activities. Modernization has slowed to a glacial pace, what with the systematic corruption and general lack of urgency in the government. Nepotism is also prevalent in the armed forces.

GDP: 32 trillion UAD/5 trillion USD, the most productive regions are Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Singapore
GDP per Capita: 72,447.36 UAD per capita/11,319.9 USD per capita (assuming 2020 USD)

Currency: The currency is the United Asian Dollar, which has replaced the old Singapore Dollar, Indonesian Rupiah, Malaysian Ringgit and Philippine Peso.
Currency and value of currency compared to USD: 6.4 UAD --> 1 USD

Major Domestic Issues: Rapid economic growth has left many from the lower-class behind, radical Islamic insurgencies in Sumatra and Mindanao, racial and ethnic distrust still an issue, economic disparity between different races, religious differences between the largely Muslim south and the Catholic north.
Major Foreign Issues: Secession of Aceh and Northern Sumatra, as well as Western Papua has led to general unrest and non-compliance in the government

History:
Part I: The Question of A Unified State
The Greater Malayan Confederation had already been proposed when the nations of South East Asia had gained independence from their colonial overlords. The idea of 'Maphilindo' was dashed in 1963, when Indonesian president Sukarno undertook the policy of Konfrontasi (Confrontation) with the British and Malaysia. These ideals of brotherhood were not lost, however, when in 1967 the South East Asian nations signed the ASEAN declaration to promote regional peace, economic growth and mutual assistance. By the late 2020s, the question of a unified state arose once more, when the President of Indonesia and Prime Minister of Malaysia met in Kuala Lumpur. President Wiranto said in an interview after the meeting that the 'unified Malay state' was a point of interest in their conversations. The two nations later signed the Pan-Malayan Pact with Brunei, which sought to create a free market zone. Several leaders in the following years met and discussed the possibilities of a merger before Prime Minister Ahmad of Malaysia declared in 2036 that the roadmap for a South-East Asian state will be realized in the coming years.

"It is the one target we all aim for," he stated.

Part II: Economic uncertainty and the collapse of the USA
The sharpest decline in the economies of South-East Asia followed the collapse of the world's strongest nation, the USA. By 2041, Malaysian-Indonesian trade accounted for almost 40% of the nation's economy. The Phillippines, a former ally of the United States, now no longer possessed the partners it once had and in August of 2041, expressed interest in joining the new state. A further contracting economy and civil unrest moved the governments of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Phillippines to expedite the union. Brunei however, one of the original signatories of the Pan-Malayan Pact, fell out with the other nations over matters of politics; Brunei being a hereditary absolute monarchy did not want a democratic system imposed on it by the new other three nations, and withdrew from the Pan-Malayan Pact. Opponents became more vocal, however; economists stated that certain parts of the new nations were far more impoverished than others, while several religious organizations worried that the marginalization of their religion would lead to repression by the majority. The first violent protests against union occurred in Kuala Lumpur and Manila, which were eventually put down.

Immanuel Corazon, leader of the 'Oppose Union' alliance warned, "It will be an unhappy and bloody marriage,"

Part III: The Unhappy Marriage
On the 8th of August 2047, the day of the founding of ASEAN, the new flag of the United Asian States was hoisted over the government buildings of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, alongside the former national flags. The old currencies would be replaced with the new United Asian Dollar by February of 2048. In light of the unrest in neighbouring regions of the world, the new Constitution adopted the ideology of Empat Panduan, the Four Guides, which promised democracy, pluralism, equality and unity. The founder of the ideology, and first President of the new republic, was Kamal Setiawan, father of current president Yose Setiawan. Empat Panduan was pushed aggressively in schools, and all public servants were to recite the mantra before work, under supervision. Perhaps the new ideology was pushed too aggressively, with many conservative thinkers in the rural areas seeing this as an affront to their beliefs. This was especially true in northern Sumatra, where Sharia law was enforced since 2004. Many took this new, explicitly secular government as hostile. The old Indonesian ideology of Pancasila had codified a belief in a single, almighty God as law, and now this man sought to change all of this? No, they thought to themselves and formed the New Aceh Liberation Army (FALA). Thus began a series of violent attacks on government buildings, military bases and banks which could be described as the 2nd Aceh Insurgency.

While this was ongoing, Singapore, which now relies on trade with the UAS, expressed interest in joining the fledgeling nation, seeking a common market. Talks had been ongoing for two years prior, and finally, on the 19th of October 2048, Singapore joined the UAS after a referendum, where 53% voted to join. Several concessions were made to the 4th country; it would maintain its own armed forces, contribute fewer taxes towards the federal government and would have 4 seats in the Senate. President Setiawan agreed to these terms.

Government forces were losing their grip on central and southern Sumatra as infiltrating insurgents attacked the headquarters of several army units and stole weapons and supplies from the troops. By now the Free Aceh Liberation Army was hijacked by the Jemaah Islamiah, an extremist Southeast Asian Islamist rebel group and were closing in on Palembang, a major city in the South of Sumatra. As the disorganized and poorly-led UAS forces fled the city, looting and racial violence broke out in the central neighbourhoods. Chinese shops were burned and their owners hung from street lamps. The rioting carried out for 3 days before FALA forces captured the city.

Pluralism was put to the test in 2049 when several high ranking members of the Muslim clergy spoke ill towards "the Christians in Luzon" on live television. The Pan-Malayan Islamic Council condemned these statements the day after but the damage had already been done. Archbishop of the Philippines Louis Emmanuel Valdez spoke out against the attempted "oppression of the Filipinos through the use of religious dogma". The ensuing religious violence in Java and Mindanao would carry on until today. In an attempt to please the insurgents, President Setiawan offered to issue a referendum to the people of Aceh; they could vote to leave the UAS if they stopped the advance toward Southern Sumatra. West Papuan and Mindanaoan independence leaders moved for their own referendums to be held, which the APA approved.

On the 1st of February, 2050, Aceh and Northern Sumatra left the Union, followed by West Papua and Irian Jaya in May. In both referendums, over 60% voted to leave the Union. Mindanao remained in the Union, with 48% voting to leave. FALA forces withdrew north to the new border. Jemaah Islamiah continued their fight in the hills in Western Sumatra, remaining a thorn in the side of local and government forces.

Part IV: A Happy Marriage (?)
The new Union already faced many challenges in its short existence. Many affluent Chinese from across the country were moving to Singapore, which had lower tax rates on the rich than the rest of the nation. The loss of Aceh and Papua had been a significant loss of face to Setiawan and his government, who were viewed as to have negotiated with extremists by the rest of the nation. Effigies of Kamal were burned in the streets of Surabaya and Singapore, shouting that Setiawan was unfit to lead the new nation. Unemployment was at record highs of 20%, and social programmes had not delivered what was promised. On the 8th of August, during the Union Day address, President Setiawan was shot twice in the back of the head by a security guard, who was in turn shot dead by a member of the crowd. Overnight the President turned from a disgraced politician into a martyr.

The President's son, Yohanes, or more popularly known as Yose, was selected by the APA to become the interim president of the UAS until the next election could be held in 2052. On the 2nd of November, the first meeting of Prime Ministers with the new President in the Presidential Palace in Pontianak displayed unity in the face of adversity. It was later mandated by the Ministry of Information that the image of the President standing next to the Prime Ministers of the four countries of the United Asian States be shown on all government websites, newspapers and UAS news.

In 2052, Yose comfortably won the presidential election, but his party did not win a majority in the APA. As a show of good faith, Yose selected an Islamist candidate, Hadi Abdul-Qadir, to become his vice-presidential candidate. Yose's Restoration Party's centrist views did not mesh well will the conservative Islamic Revolutionary Party, but without the IRP, Yose might alienate the more conservative rural voters.

The Linguistic Reform law of 2053 pushed for English to become the Lingua Franca of the Union. All children from the age of 6 were to attend compulsory English classes. In his attempts to make the Union more homogenized, he further alienated his Vice-President, who wanted to push Malay as the national language of the country.

More liberal reforms, such as the restriction of religious programming on television, restricting the activities of religious schools and the repeal of the mandate for women to wear hijabs in the public sector met with backlash from conservative groups as well as the United Malays National Organization, a member of the ruling coalition. The increasing conservative movement against Yose came to a head when in December 2054 several demonstrations broke out in Johor, Surabaya and Bandung, protesting against the increasing speed at which society was changing. Demonstrations occurred in Manila as well by Christian groups who saw themselves being sidelined by the majority-Muslim government. Luddite protests also broke out as thousands of people were losing their jobs to automated production lines. The military had to be called in to protect several foreign-owned factories which produced cars, shoes, mobile products and milled flour. With the needs of four drastically different constituent countries to look out for, a never-ending guerilla conflict with Islamist and separatist movements to deal with, as well as ingrained ethnic tensions and economic divides to settle, the young nation of the United Asian States faces stiff challenges in the years ahead.
RP Example: part 1
part 2, both in the same series
I post under oostfalea. Terudel and Nestiland are 2 different other people

Your territorry is way too big, look at the rules please

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:Whats with all the extremely high GDP per Capitas, the world literally collapsed, I think the fact that theres more than one nation higher than 40K is already unrealistic, but multiple is just too much, I think most nations should be hovering somewhere between 20 and 35K like this RP should be as much about rebuilding and restructuring your economy as it should be about warfare and geopolitics.

Some of us (like I) can't math.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

"Peace is a lie." ~ Sith Code (excerpt)

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Tue May 05, 2020 7:17 am

I think what I'm gonna go with for my History is that as the U.S collapsed the national guards of several states worked in tangent to seize vital assets, CDC & Kings Bay for example. They held onto control of the states for a little bit before relinquishing control to civilian govern ship. The BBR then used its military to basically Anchluss several nearby states and intervene in semi civil wars in states such as Virginia, ending those little wars and bringing the states into the fold.
Lover of doggos

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am

Ha Liang wrote:
Oostfalea wrote: -snip-

That's kinda true, but Southeast Asia/Australasia is huge. Not to mention Malaysia itself's huge. Also, I don't think unions would work in a time like this; first, you have to build yourself up, then after awhile, take-in others.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:
"Hypercapital's greatest wish would be for others to stop thinking of them (Hypercapital) as too "edgy" and for said other persons to get to truly know and appreciate the depth of Hypercapital's lore."

Classical Liberal (ClaLib), Proud stan of Kim Jong Un's sis, Kanye West 2024, Vermin Supreme (whenever)

Oostfalea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Oostfalea » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am

Ha Liang wrote:
Oostfalea wrote:
snip

I did indeed, and not to sound rude but here's a breakdown:
  • Rules said no country can be bigger than USA, China, Russia, Soviet Union, British Empire
  • The smallest country on that list (China) is 9.5 million square kilometers
  • The entire South-East Asian Archipelago, not including Continental Malaysia to be fair, is only 2 million square kilometres
  • 9.5/2 = 4.75. I would need 4.75x more land to break the rules
  • Scandinavia is 3,425,804 square kilometers
  • 3,425,804/2,000,000 = 1.712902. This nation is 1.7x larger than mine and has already been accepted
Thank you for reading the application

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Tue May 05, 2020 7:29 am

Oostfalea wrote:
Ha Liang wrote:Your territorry is way too big, look at the rules please

• Rules said no country can be bigger than USA, China, Russia, Soviet Union, British Empire
  • The entire South-East Asian Archipelago, not including Continental Malaysia to be fair, is only 2 million square kilometres
  • 3,425,804/2,000,000 = 1.712902. This nation is 1.7x larger than mine and has already been accepted

That's still an area of contention (atleast in my book). All of those empires were ethnically diverse. Yes, it makes sense (to prevent collapse and overextension), but some countries in themselves are huge (Algeria, Brazil, India, and somewhat Japan)

The Asian States would have alot of tension and issues, even after uniting. Scandinavia united several times (Kalmar Union, Sweden-Denmark, Finland-under-Russian Empire, and also Sweden-Norway), which made it easier for them to reunite again. Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and other areas were never united by a single head-of-state.
Last edited by HypErcApitAl on Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

HypErcApitAl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HypErcApitAl » Tue May 05, 2020 7:30 am

And the OP was talking about uniting Maghreb...so?
(quotes)
Kehrernesia wrote:

Ha Liang
Secretary

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ha Liang » Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 am

Oostfalea wrote:
Ha Liang wrote:Your territorry is way too big, look at the rules please

Touché

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Tue May 05, 2020 7:45 am

SangMar wrote:
Plzen wrote:Chained dollars are intended to be adjusted for inflation. It means the same thing as real dollars. If your source was chained to 2009 dollars, then that means figures are expressed in 2009 prices.

Basically, think about it this way. Imagine that you have an economy that produces only apples. In 2009, an apple was worth $1, and your income is $2. Now imagine that ten years later, apples are now $2, and your income is $6.

Your nominal income (also sometimes called income in current currency) is whatever you earn this year, which is $6. Your real income in 2009 dollars (also sometimes called chained to 2009) is $3, because your current income buys three apples now, and three apples was $3 back in 2009.

Thanks.

How do I calculate the GDP while incorporating population growth?

This site can probably help with inflations.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Tue May 05, 2020 7:50 am

Revlona wrote:
[Do Not Remove - AKSAI]

NS Name: Revlona
RP Name: Bonnie Blue Republic

Capital: Atlanta, Georgia
Territory: Georgia, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana
Population: 84.937 Million
Type of Government: Federal/Constitutional Republic
Government Explanation: Very akin to the U.S system with how the government is split into three branches. Has done away with the Electoral college in most terms, instead if you win the popular vote of a state you will gain 1 "point". The Candidate with the most points wins the election. If there is a tie then congress shall vote on the matter.
Leader(s): Ryan B. Foster (President and leader of the Republican party that holds a high majority), Susan Earcross (Vice President and member of the Republican party)
Image(s) of Leader(s):
Party or Coalition in Power: Republican Party
State Ideology: (can either be the ideology/ideologies of the ruling party or the country as a whole)
Ethnicity Breakdown: About 60% being Caucasian with both African Americans and Hispanics being around 18-20% of the population.
Religion Breakdown: Predominantly Christian with a minority of atheist
Flag:
National Anthem: Bonnie Blue Flag
National Motto: Pro aris et focis (For Hearth and Home)
Demonym: Southerner
Map Color: Dark Blue

Public Goals: Ensure the status quo, peaceful integration of former U.S territory, ensure civil rights stay as they are
Private Goals: Attempt a re integration of Texas with the south, Claim Washington D.C, Secure the Caribbean

Military name:
Military branches: Army, Air Corps, Navy, Marine Corps,
Total military size: 562,000 Active, 780,000 in Reserve/National Guard
Breakdown of ground force(s):
Tanks - 1,253
Armored vehicles - 10,534
SPA - 493
Towed Art - 1,253
Rocket Art - 362
Breakdown of naval force(s):
Aircraft Carriers - 6
Destroyers - 43
Submarines - 22
Breakdown of air force(s):
Fighters - 1,027
Dedicated Attack - 453
Helicopters - 1,892
Attack Helicopters - 621

Breakdown of other branch(es):
Extra military information: The military of the Bonnie Blue Republic is made up of the leftovers of the former U.S military. Before the Union fell apart the U.S militaries largest make up was of Southerners at 40%, so roughly 40% of the military returned south to their homes, bringing with them a large amount of experience. Several major former U.S bases sat in southern territory and have since been confiscated and put to use by the Republics own forces.

GDP: 4,212,884,000,000 USD
GDP per Capita: 52,000 USD

Currency: Bonnie Blue Dollar
Currency and value of currency compared to USD: 1.20 USD = 1 BBD

Major Domestic Issues: Some racial divides still exist
Major Foreign Issues: Illegal Immigration, Rivalries with other American successor states

History:
2041 - With the United States officially fallen Georgia Governor Ryan Foster, working in tangent with the Governors of Florida, Alabama, and both Carolinas, ordered their national guards to immediately seize important military and civilian institutions controlled by the United States.
2042 - Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana welcome BBR troops as they enter the states and secure them for the Union. Referendums are held and are overwhelmingly in favor of the annexations as the BBR brought order and safety to those states that had struggled keeping order.
2043 - Tennessee and Kentucky join the republic.
2044 - The BBR intervenes in a widespread conflict on the border of Virginia and West Virginia, by the end of the Year order is restored.
2045 - Referendums are held in both Virginia and West Virginia, confirming their Entrance into the republic.
2046 - BBR attempts to add Texas into the Union but is rebuffed and a Military standoff at the Border becomes known as "The Lonestar Watch"

2048 - First Official nationwide elections are held, the Republican party wins a large majority with now President Foster winning 72% of the vote.
2048 - A new Constitution is ratified by the BBR, it encompass much of the former american constitution with the Bill of Rights remaining completely the same.
2049 - Embassies are built across the world as the BBR begins to officialy reach out and establish diplomatic ties now that an Official government is in place.
2049 - Rebuilding Efforts from skirmishes and border wars mostly comes to an end.
2050 - The BBR Congress votes in favor of an official Declaration of the Status Quo by President Foster. In his "Status Quo Speech" he declared that sadly the U.S was dead, but in her place were several promising nations that could become proud and long lasting nations. He ended with a promise that the BBR would make great effort to keep the Status Quo as it is and halt any aggressive expansion anywhere on the North American continent. Whether by military or economic intervention the BBR would be there. This declaration was well received by a majority of the population but the opposition in the Democratic arty did denounce it as useless war mongering and saber rattling, saying that it was akin to the long dead Monroe Doctrine.

RP Example: viewtopic.php?p=37036197#p37036197
Lover of doggos

Oostfalea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Oostfalea » Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am

Hypercapital wrote:
Oostfalea wrote:

That's still an area of contention (atleast in my book). All of those empires were ethnically diverse. Yes, it makes sense (to prevent collapse and overextension), but some countries in themselves are huge (Algeria, Brazil, India, and somewhat Japan)

The Asian States would have alot of tension and issues, even after uniting. Scandinavia united several times (Kalmar Union, Sweden-Denmark, Finland-under-Russian Empire, and also Sweden-Norway), which made it easier for them to reunite again. Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and other areas were never united by a single head-of-state.

well to say that the Indonesian archipelago and Malaysia have never united would be to ignore that the Srivijayan and Majapahit Empire existed from 650 to 1500s (far longer than the Kalmar Union), both of which influenced the Philippines in many ways (trade, language, government, religion [Hindu/Buddhism])
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srivijaya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majapahit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_in ... e_polities

and I have stated that the new Union has faced many problems in the history section, with the independence of West Papua, Northern Sumatra as well as religious unrest. Ethnicity hasn't been much of a problem in South-East Asia, unless it's against the chinese
Last edited by Oostfalea on Tue May 05, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse