NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 am

Sarderia wrote:I wanted to make a second character. Dahyan, do you need a Union general marching beside you? Under the STARS and STRIPES obviously.

More Union Boys would be more than welcome!
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 am

Texas has a navy? Is it a couple of frigates? Those type of ships are pretty outdated
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 am

Alaroma wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:From his app, it seems more anti-Boykin rather than anti-Emperor. Although working with the absolutists in Louisiana for him would probably be something of a deal with the devil.

It undermines both your predisposed positions.

Khasinkonia wrote:Daily reminder that the port of Houston doesn't exist yet.

Daily reminder it can still export cotton

One needn't agree with a position if it otherwise works to one's advantage. So we'll have to see. The point about Houston is that redirecting trade from Galveston to Houston wouldn't make any sense because you can't export cotton to the wider world without using a proper port. So it's either being forced through Galveston, bottleneck trade through the thoroughly inadequate shallow port of the town of Corpus Christi, or send it to other states.
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:33 am

Union Princes wrote:Texas has a navy? Is it a couple of frigates? Those type of ships are pretty outdated

The Texan Navy is undoubtably small and older, but that’s all you really need.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:35 am

I wonder what a mid-level Lord with a city that sits in the Mississippi have to do to rise up in a “medieval” post-war South.

Also Khas, what are the overall social opinions of New Orleans? Is it a liberté-loving melting pot society relatively more liberal than its neighbors like actual France?

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am

Port Arthur exist you know, it's a lot closer, it's in Texas and it's near Louisana.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:37 am

Dahyan wrote:
Sarderia wrote:I wanted to make a second character. Dahyan, do you need a Union general marching beside you? Under the STARS and STRIPES obviously.

Wait for it. Good old Abe Lincoln's gonna have his revenge. *plays Yankee Doodle*

Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:I mean, he is anti monarchist.......

From his app, it seems more anti-Boykin rather than anti-Emperor. Although working with the absolutists in Louisiana for him would probably be something of a deal with the devil.

West has no problem working with dictatorial regimes, but Boykin's hold on all the railroads (that connect both his domains) pissed him out considerably. That's basically what he's trying to do; to have at least a bit of control to the lifeblood of his business.

Also, Alaroma, the telegraph hasn't been sent yet. It's metagaming for you to know what West has up his sleeves; and I plan to do each one of West's commands gradually and covertly. There is no way Boykin would know anything - Galveston is much, much bigger than Houston in this year, and West obviously has enough diginity to respect his position as King, and he's not as stupid to blow out Texas's economy all at once.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:39 am

Alaroma wrote:
Union Princes wrote:Texas has a navy? Is it a couple of frigates? Those type of ships are pretty outdated

The Texan Navy is undoubtably small and older, but that’s all you really need.

And it's based on... wait for it... Galveston.
Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:It undermines both your predisposed positions.

One needn't agree with a position if it otherwise works to one's advantage. So we'll have to see. The point about Houston is that redirecting trade from Galveston to Houston wouldn't make any sense because you can't export cotton to the wider world without using a proper port. So it's either being forced through Galveston, bottleneck trade through the thoroughly inadequate shallow port of the town of Corpus Christi, or send it to other states.

Sending all of the trade to the Mississipi Delta would be more interesting, don't you think? ;)
Alaroma wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:From his app, it seems more anti-Boykin rather than anti-Emperor. Although working with the absolutists in Louisiana for him would probably be something of a deal with the devil.

It undermines both your predisposed positions.

Khasinkonia wrote:Daily reminder that the port of Houston doesn't exist yet.

Edit: On that note, will temporarily redirect some trade to Louisiana

Daily reminder that West is Duke of Galveston.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 am

I'm gonna have to agree on Sarderia on this one, his post didn't mention the telegram being sent, only in the process of being sent. The news would be widespread after one IC night. Not only that, Boykin has no pre existing knowledge of sedition.

But at the same time, Sarderia needs to be more specific on his strengths and weaknesses. I don't know how deep his contacts goes or how loyal his subjects are.

Both you guys need to edit or delete your posts. There was no buildup for a conflict this substantial
Last edited by Union Princes on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 am

Sarderia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:The Texan Navy is undoubtably small and older, but that’s all you really need.

And it's based on... wait for it... Galveston.
Khasinkonia wrote:One needn't agree with a position if it otherwise works to one's advantage. So we'll have to see. The point about Houston is that redirecting trade from Galveston to Houston wouldn't make any sense because you can't export cotton to the wider world without using a proper port. So it's either being forced through Galveston, bottleneck trade through the thoroughly inadequate shallow port of the town of Corpus Christi, or send it to other states.

Sending all of the trade to the Mississipi Delta would be more interesting, don't you think? ;)
Alaroma wrote:It undermines both your predisposed positions.

Edit: On that note, will temporarily redirect some trade to Louisiana

Oh you silly boy, did you really think I would have zero loyalist ships? Bruh moment.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 am

Sarderia wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

Wait for it. Good old Abe Lincoln's gonna have his revenge. *plays Yankee Doodle*

West has no problem working with dictatorial regimes, but Boykin's hold on all the railroads (that connect both his domains) pissed him out considerably. That's basically what he's trying to do; to have at least a bit of control to the lifeblood of his business.

Also, Alaroma, the telegraph hasn't been sent yet. It's metagaming for you to know what West has up his sleeves; and I plan to do each one of West's commands gradually and covertly. There is no way Boykin would know anything - Galveston is much, much bigger than Houston in this year, and West obviously has enough diginity to respect his position as King, and he's not as stupid to blow out Texas's economy all at once.

Eh, fair enough, I’ll withhold orders.
-Nuverkikstan

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:48 am

Sarderia wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

I think Mr. West may well wish to bend the Queen's ear at some point.
Alaroma wrote:
Sarderia wrote:And it's based on... wait for it... Galveston.

Oh you silly boy, did you really think I would have zero loyalist ships? Bruh moment.

Since the letter is going out to the rebels first, there's no guarantee they won't be commandeered before they can start being loyal.
Lux Pulchrae wrote:I wonder what a mid-level Lord with a city that sits in the Mississippi have to do to rise up in a “medieval” post-war South.

Also Khas, what are the overall social opinions of New Orleans? Is it a liberté-loving melting pot society relatively more liberal than its neighbors like actual France?

New Orleans is rather Parisien in a lot of ways. It's fairly socially liberal, to the extent that within the city limits, slave ownership is illegal. One can often hear Italian, especially Sicilian, around the city, as well as some dialects of German, and hints of Irish here and there. Further, although nobody respectable would talk about it, I can guarantee the night life is well-known as one of the most busy in the South. The Crewe of Comus, although largely hijacked by French aristocracy, still exists, and there have been whisperings of an official royal parade in the organisation process for Carnival season. In spite of its flaws, thanks to a variety factors, the city is ballooning rapidly, and doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon. Should be excellent fuel for continued industrial endeavours.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:50 am

How did the queen make slavery illegal in New Orleans? Won't there be an uproar?

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 am

Union Princes wrote:How did the queen make slavery illegal in New Orleans? Won't there be an uproar?

The city itself, just like with many large urban places, is significantly more liberal than surrounding areas. Even in the antebellum south, one could find enough New Orleans abolitionists and aspiring industrialists. As a testament to its liberal tendencies, Ursuline Academy(the city's oldest high school) even then irl extended educational opportunities to free blacks.

And, as another note, the Queen did not ban slavery. King Beauregard(Yes, the general), her father, signed the orders into legislation.
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:56 am

[/box]Character application [box]Character Name: Gideon Jackson II - (born April the 9th 1843)[floatright]Image[/]
Account Name:don't understand the question.
Motives: restore law and order to Texas, defend and expand his ranch (and in doing so provide a more secure future for his wife, daughter and son) , establish peace between the whites and the Comanche.
Background: Born into a family that owned a small cattle ranch, during the Civil War he enlisted in the Confederate Cavalry Regiment known as Terry's Texas Rangers, becoming promoted to Sergeant for bravery.

Titles/Positions: Texas Ranger
Holdings: a small ranch in Texas composed of 60 cows and bull plus their calves.
Politics: His main political belief is in the rule of law at all costs.
Despite openly advocating abolitionist views (after learning of defeats of Confederate infantrymen by largely Black troops and the cruelty of southern "gentlemen" to their camp-servants) he is largely man of his time on issues of Black rights: opposing marriage between black and white people as well as opposing black men voting or serving on juries.
He does however favour a peaceful settlement with the Comanche and supports women's suffrage. In addition his focus on the rule of law means he opposes lynchings "whether of white men, Indians or negroes."
However he is a strong supporter of the death penalty for murder of lawmen, especially violent rape, treason and violation of treaties by Native Chiefs

Faith: Methodism
Last edited by Ideal Britain on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:58 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Union Princes wrote:How did the queen make slavery illegal in New Orleans? Won't there be an uproar?

The city itself, just like with many large urban places, is significantly more liberal than surrounding areas. Even in the antebellum south, one could find enough New Orleans abolitionists and aspiring industrialists. As a testament to its liberal tendencies, Ursuline Academy(the city's oldest high school) even then irl extended educational opportunities to free blacks.

And, as another note, the Queen did not ban slavery. King Beauregard(Yes, the general), her father, signed the orders into legislation.

Holy Cow, Louisiana is gonna be the favorite child of Britain and France. I can already see the funds flowing in

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:02 am

Union Princes wrote:I'm gonna have to agree on Sarderia on this one, his post didn't mention the telegram being sent, only in the process of being sent. The news would be widespread after one IC night. Not only that, Boykin has no pre existing knowledge of sedition.

But at the same time, Sarderia needs to be more specific on his strengths and weaknesses. I don't know how deep his contacts goes or how loyal his subjects are.

Both you guys need to edit or delete your posts. There was no buildup for a conflict this substantial

Hence, "Gradually and covertly". Texas and NC are hundreds of miles apart. He could have send other telegrams, other orders, or he could choose to have the rebels wait until he return. It hasn't been sent really. I'll post about that later.
Alaroma wrote:
Sarderia wrote:And it's based on... wait for it... Galveston.

Hey, hey mate, it's just a Roleplay after all. You could even make a Texas Navy captain app. But considering that the Navy spent most of its days in Galveston, there must at least someone who's dear to the Duke. It's not like Galveston doesn't have batteries after all. But I digress. You do you.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:04 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Wait for it. Good old Abe Lincoln's gonna have his revenge. *plays Yankee Doodle*

I think Mr. West may well wish to bend the Queen's ear at some point.
Alaroma wrote:Oh you silly boy, did you really think I would have zero loyalist ships? Bruh moment.

Since the letter is going out to the rebels first, there's no guarantee they won't be commandeered before they can start being loyal.
Lux Pulchrae wrote:I wonder what a mid-level Lord with a city that sits in the Mississippi have to do to rise up in a “medieval” post-war South.

New Orleans is rather Parisien in a lot of ways. It's fairly socially liberal, to the extent that within the city limits, slave ownership is illegal. One can often hear Italian, especially Sicilian, around the city, as well as some dialects of German, and hints of Irish here and there. Further, although nobody respectable would talk about it, I can guarantee the night life is well-known as one of the most busy in the South. The Crewe of Comus, although largely hijacked by French aristocracy, still exists, and there have been whisperings of an official royal parade in the organisation process for Carnival season. In spite of its flaws, thanks to a variety factors, the city is ballooning rapidly, and doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon. Should be excellent fuel for continued industrial endeavours.

The Queen better be prepared for some of that cowboy charm waltzing right next to her. ;)

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:07 am

There’s so much talk in the OOC imagine none of it ever happens

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:09 am

Either way, I’ll be patient for now. That said, it’s about time the Rangers get deployed.
-Nuverkikstan

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:10 am

Ideal Britain wrote:[/box]Character application [box]Character Name: Gideon Jackson II - (born April the 9th 1843)[floatright](Image)[/]
Account Name:don't understand the question.
Motives: restore law and order to Texas, defend and expand his ranch (and in doing so provide a more secure future for his wife, daughter and son) , establish peace between the whites and the Comanche.
Background: Born into a family that owned a small cattle ranch, during the Civil War he enlisted in the Confederate Cavalry Regiment known as Terry's Texas Rangers, becoming promoted to Sergeant for bravery.

Titles/Positions: Texas Ranger
Holdings: a small ranch in Texas composed of 60 cows and bull plus their calves.
Politics: His main political belief is in the rule of law at all costs.
Despite openly advocating abolitionist views (after learning of defeats of Confederate infantrymen by largely Black troops and the cruelty of southern "gentlemen" to their camp-servants) he is largely man of his time on issues of Black rights: opposing marriage between black and white people as well as opposing black men voting or serving on juries.
He does however favour a peaceful settlement with the Comanche and supports women's suffrage. In addition his focus on the rule of law means he opposes lynchings "whether of white men, Indians or negroes."
However he is a strong supporter of the death penalty for murder of lawmen, especially violent rape, treason and violation of treaties by Native Chiefs

Faith: Methodism

Is mine accepted yet?

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 am

Ideal Britain wrote:Is mine accepted yet?

You just posted it bruh

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:48 am

Can black people vote in Louisiana?
Also do they recruit black soldiers?

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:41 am

SangMar wrote:
Christian Franklin - (1842 - present)

Account Name: SangMar

Motives: To expand the Tranquil Path throughout the South, and to prevent harm coming to those who aren’t involved in any conflicts following the old Emperor’s passing. To prevent the Cherokee from having their territory encroached upon too severely by settlers. Find out the fate of his mother.

Background:

As someone born from the dalliance of a Native American woman and a mid-ranking British diplomat posted to Washington D.C on a humid evening in summer 1842, Christian Franklin doesn’t know who his mother is. All he does know is that whenever his father was asked about his son’s lightly tanned complexion, the former would reply that Christian was of Iberian ancestry and nothing more should be asked about it. In fact, it wasn’t until he arrived in the US on a diplomatic posting of his own, several decades later that he began to even slightly doubt this story. It had just seemed so logical, as his father had never spoken about his own trip across the Atlantic - and therefore, Christian had never been given a reason to consider that he wasn’t of Iberian heritage.

Though, that would come later - and for the first two decades of his life, Christian would spend these at various public schools. Rugby School for boys was once of them. After that, he would attend the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich, and be educated further there - commissioning into the Royal Engineers as a 2nd Lieutenant following the completion of his courses there. Christian would be posted to Canada for most of his brief military career - helping to quite literally build the Colony of British Columbia. It was during this time that he would first meet indigenous people, having several encounters with members of the local First Nations tribes. In 1866, with his time in Canada at an end, Christian would buy himself out of the remaining years on his contract. Instead, Christian would return to the United Kingdom briefly, until a school friend offered him a relatively low-ranking position at a diplomatic mission in Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy.

Richmond would be an awakening for the 24 year old, who found himself exposed to the melting pot of cultures in the American South for the first time. Thankfully for Christian, as he wasn’t anyone of great importance to London’s image in the region, he had plenty of time to indulge himself too. At that time, everything seemed great - Britain had a stable source of cotton for its textile mills, and the United States was heavily weakened and no longer able to threaten Canada. In fact, if everything had continued down that route, Christian would’ve had a very easy life indeed. However, it wasn’t to be, and with cracks appearing throughout the Confederacy during the year, he soon made plans for an exit. He would head back to Britain, safe from the slowly imploding state of affairs on the American continent.

That was the plan, until Christian received a telegram from back home - and it wasn’t any news he was hoping for. It was his father - who told his son that he was now ill from tuberculosis and that not only would he not survive the year, but that even if Christian could come home, he should stay away from him - for his own health. As crushing as statement as this was, it held nothing on what Franklin Sr was to reveal next...

...He revealed that no, Christian’s mother was not of Iberian ancestry after all. In fact, she was a woman of Native American blood, presumably Cherokee. Furthermore, Christian’s father revealed that the woman had told him her family were living far to the west of Washington D.C, having been expelled there during the Trail of Tears in the late 1830s. Therefore, if Christian wanted to connect with any family of his, his best option was not to come back home, but to head west, to the Indian Territory - as maybe he could find some there.

With this weighing heavily on his mind, Christian prepared himself for a trip west - buying a thick coat, some warm boots, a stallion, and an old Civil War haversack to store said coat. He also exploited his military connections one final time; importing a Snider-Enfield breech-loading rifle and ammunition from Britain under the guise of being for sport. And after that...

He disappeared... already long gone before his absence was noticed by senior British diplomats in the state.

The missing staff member caused quite a stir amongst both the British and Confederate public, but Franklin Sr wasn’t entirely alarmed - his knew his son was off searching, and like himself when was younger, his son would find what he desired.

It would be several more years until Christian Franklin would resurface, being sighted by a wagon of settlers who were heading to California in December 1872. At some point in the following year, he would form the Tranquil Path - an organisation whose purpose was to protect traveling traders from criminals on the frontier’s poorly policed roads, protect Cherokee territory from encroaching White settlers and to act as a safe haven for escaped slaves and others who were being persecuted through no fault of their own. In the spring of 1874, construction would begin on the town of Paradise Under-the-Sky - which would become the Path’s main base of operations.

Titles/Positions: Grand Commander of the Tranquil Path. (1873-), Officer Cadet, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich (1860-1862). 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Engineers (1862-1863). Lieutenant, Royal Engineers (1863-1866). Diplomatic staff of the United Kingdom to the Confederate States of America. (1866-186?)

Holdings: Christian owns little in terms of property himself, however as Grand Commander of the Tranquil Path he does administer the town of Paradise Under-the-Sky, which doubles as the Path’s headquarters too. The reason for this is simple - the Tranquil Path doesn’t have its headquarters in the town, the town is the headquarters itself. A building doesn’t get erected, or a business doesn’t operate there without the Path’s say so. In time, the Tranquil Path want to expand - to have a safe haven like Paradise Under-the-Sky in every state - so they can be there for the downtrodden. For those who want to find it, it is located in Washington County, on the cusp of the Indian Territory - in modern-day Arkansas.

Politics: Christian Franklin’s political leanings are ambiguous at best, because he doesn’t enjoy discussing such matters - as they create division and divide people along arbitrary lines. All that is known is that Christian supports equality for all races - and thus stands completely in the way of what the Confederacy stood for. But how could he not? After all, those same people who support ideas of racial hierarchy and pseudo-science would never accept him. So why should he throw his lot in with them?

Faith: A lapsed Anglican, Christian believes there is too much suffering in the world for their to be any sort of God. However, he has recently been flirting with traditional Cherokee beliefs - in order to connect with his maternal roots.

Here. I wrote the app yesterday while uncertain about Britain’s relation with the Confederacy immediately following the Civil War in the roleplay’s timeline. Feel free to completely reject it if you wish.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:06 am

My application for a Mississippi redneck jayhawker turned governor of Maryland is finished, based on the real person of Newton Knight.

Let me know if it's too far-fetched.

Newton Knight - (1829 - )

Account Name: Dahyan
Occupation: Governor, farmer, jayhawker, former outlaw, war veteran
Motives: Protection of the interest of yeoman farmers, spreading abolitionism, defence of the Union in Maryland
Background:

Newton Knight was born in November 1829 in Jones County, Mississippi, as the eighth child out of twelve in a family of poor yeoman farmers.

Homeschooled by his mother, Newton grew up to be a pious Primitive or Old School Baptist. In accordance with his creed, Knight forswore alcohol and developed a moral opposition to the institution of slavery.

In 1858, Newton Knight married Serena Turner and established a farmstead in neighbouring Jasper County.

As a typical yeoman subsistence farmer in the rural South, Knight had little sympathy for the secessionist cause and its slavery-driven underlying economic reasoning. As such, in January 1861, he backed anti-secession candidate John H. Powell for the secession convention, but the tide of anti-Union sentiment amongst Mississippi elite could not be stemmed.

In July 1861, Knight was conscripted into the Confederate Army and enlisted into the 8th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Later, he requested and was granted transfer to Company F of the 7th Mississippi Infantry Battalion together with several of his friends and neighbours.

In the course of 1862, Newton Knight and his peers grew more and more enraged with the Confederate political system, especially upon the passing of the Twenty Negro Law which greatly benefited Southern gentry at the expense of common redneck farmers. Combined with increasing food shortages and hardship faced by the women and children at home, this led to severe malcontent amongst Knight and his ilk. This was made all the worse due to Knight receiving word of his brother-in-law Morgan Lines severely maltreating the children of Newton and Serena who were left in his care.

In October 1862, Knight deserted from the army nmwhiel camped nearby Corinth, and trekked nearly 200 miles back home. Upon arriving in Jasper County, Knight shot and killed Morgan, and brought his family back to the homestead. In early 1863 however, he was identified and captured by Confederate forces, who jailed him and subjected him to torture and mistreatment and burned down his farm and homestead as punishment for desertion.

Soon afterwards, Newton Knight escaped from custody and made his refuge in the bogs of the Leaf River, soon joined by his wife and children. While evading Confederate patrols in the swamps, Knight encountered other deserters and fugitive slaves at the borders between the counties of Jones and Covington, and gradually a form of organisation ensued.

In October 1863, the group of which Knight had by now assumed command killed Confederate officer Major Amos McLemore, whom had been sent to round up deserters in the area. In the coming months and years, the newly christened Knight Company organised into an irregular militia, developing into a protection force for local farmsteads and attacking Confederate patrols, tax collectors and conscription officers.

The Knight Company grew steadily to over 150 troops, and were a severe thorn in the side of the Confederacy. Using guerilla tactics and evading capture using extensive knowledge of the land, Jones County and the surrounding areas remained more or less out of effective Confederate control until the end of the war. In the spring of 1864, the guerrillas even went as far as declaring the independence of the Free State of Jones.

However, by 1865 it had become clear that the position of the Knight Company would eventually become untenable as a Confederate victory in the war drew close. In a bold move, Newton Knight decided to move his entire company north, joined by a large number of local farmers and their families as well as other Southern Unionists, abolitionists, runaway slaves and jayhawkers.

With support from pro-Union bushwhackers in East Tennessee, the group made its way to Virginia and eventually to Maryland, where they linked up with Federal troops. Settling in the Old Line State, Knight supported the efforts of the Union to safeguard Washington DC, joining the US military with the rank of Captain.

After the US defeat in the Civil War, Knight eventually retired from armed service and took up a career in law enforcement, becoming a US Marshal in 1868.

His renown as a jayhawker and Southern Unionist made Knight a rather well-liked figure in his new home state, and in 1872 he went into politics as member of the Radical faction in the Republican Party. He quickly built up a political following and aided in the spread of a Republican powerbase in the other wide Democrat-dominated state. In 1875, he ran in the gubernatorial elections and won, being sworn in as Governor of Maryland that same year.

Newton Knight and Serena Turner had grown apart by now, and officially divorced on amicable terms in 1874. Newton Knight subsequently married Rachel, an African American freedwoman.

Titles/Positions: Governor of Maryland (Union)
Holdings: Maryland, particularly the Annapolis-Baltimore axis
Politics: Radical Republican
Faith: Primitive Baptist
Last edited by Dahyan on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse