NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Vaktovian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 16, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Vaktovian Empire » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Alaroma wrote:Also rip Boykin’s ability to do anything to help address the current crisis in the East, all his big boy assets are west, under the loving care of the Ministry of Public Safety.

Did I miss something in the IC? What's the current crisis in the East? With the Appalachian rebels or something different lol?

Is the Ministry of Public Safety a Texas-based body or controlled by the Emperor? Only asking so I can continue to educate myself on the alt-history my fellow game-mates have created lol.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 pm

The Vaktovian Empire wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Also rip Boykin’s ability to do anything to help address the current crisis in the East, all his big boy assets are west, under the loving care of the Ministry of Public Safety.

Did I miss something in the IC? What's the current crisis in the East? With the Appalachian rebels or something different lol?

Is the Ministry of Public Safety a Texas-based body or controlled by the Emperor? Only asking so I can continue to educate myself on the alt-history my fellow game-mates have created lol.

The Texan Ministry of Public Safety controls the Texas Rangers, who are practically like the FBI. They also have some sway over the Texan Military.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 pm

I’m not going to lie, the biggest thing I can think of to say to the Council is that this calls for a stronger central administration.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

The Vaktovian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 16, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Vaktovian Empire » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Alaroma wrote:
The Vaktovian Empire wrote:

The Texan Ministry of Public Safety controls the Texas Rangers, who are practically like the FBI. They also have some sway over the Texan Military.

Gotcha, I'll read up more on your app in the morning time, intrigued at the notion of a Texas Kingdom to say the least. ;)

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm

The vaktovian empire wrote:
Alaroma wrote:The Texan Ministry of Public Safety controls the Texas Rangers, who are practically like the FBI. They also have some sway over the Texan Military.

Gotcha, I'll read up more on your app in the morning time, intrigued at the notion of a Texas Kingdom to say the least. ;)

ngl Texas gonna have another conflict so it's largely divided now, plus there are two Texas Rangers those who are loyal to Galveston and those who are loyal to Austin rn
Last edited by Sarderia on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I may need to create a second character- the Lord Commander of the Roanoke Rifles
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Alaroma wrote:I’m not going to lie, the biggest thing I can think of to say to the Council is that this calls for a stronger central administration.

Arkansas would literally revolt because this could literally mean three bad things: conscription for a united army, taxes, or some centralized legal structure. All things the more liberal elected officials and members of the Family in Arkansas would hate.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:I’m not going to lie, the biggest thing I can think of to say to the Council is that this calls for a stronger central administration.

Arkansas would literally revolt because this could literally mean three bad things: conscription for a united army, taxes, or some centralized legal structure. All things the more liberal elected officials and members of the Family in Arkansas would hate.

It’s a catch-22 because they would fall to the Union first if they did

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Also there are no elected officials lol

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:17 pm

Sanabel wrote:Also there are no elected officials lol

Arkansas have a system of that allows for some elected representation.

Sanabel wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Arkansas would literally revolt because this could literally mean three bad things: conscription for a united army, taxes, or some centralized legal structure. All things the more liberal elected officials and members of the Family in Arkansas would hate.

This is very true. But a very small minority doesn't necessarily dislike returning to the Union either.
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Arkansas would literally revolt because this could literally mean three bad things: conscription for a united army, taxes, or some centralized legal structure. All things the more liberal elected officials and members of the Family in Arkansas would hate.

I think people are reasonable enough to appreciate when times are of crisis. Southerners put up with a lot of shit in the name of beating the North. I also think that people would overall be more loyal to their states than the whole, so while state level centralization will probably be more acceptable. Thus the states can more easily contribute to the whole.
-Nuverkikstan

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 pm

Sarderia wrote:
The vaktovian empire wrote:

ngl Texas gonna have another conflict so it's largely divided now, plus there are two Texas Rangers those who are loyal to Galveston and those who are loyal to Austin rn

It’s a shame too, at least the Eastern rebels had something they genuinely believe in. The downfall of Texas is literally just because one man and his cronies. There is no meaningful difference between Boykin and West’s Politics on the surface besides West wants more power. In essence, people will die in Texas over stroking one man’s ego, and that’s just sad. Like, Texas literally deserves to be conquered by the Union at this rate, because the internal conflicts are meaningless, and frankly zero substance. At the same time, this might be depressingly necessary to turn Texas into the constitutional monarchy I want it to be. I can’t nationalize the railroads without trusting the central government has the power to maintain them, or focus on important things like education. I wanted an RP where I could make Texas whole, and Democratic again, be an example. To address slavery and the problems of the working white poor. It seems some bodies need to swing before that dream happens.
Last edited by Alaroma on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Nuverkikstan

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Are you still gonna respond to colt?
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Union Princes wrote:Are you still gonna respond to colt?

Yes, I will.
-Nuverkikstan

Rudiane
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Rudiane » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Tag, by the way how did things go in the western theater? I was thinking of putting in an application as Patrick R. Cleburne.
TOUT ME FAIT RIRE
Uhh is it canon though? (I'm not actually a Francophone, so if it's broken at all than it's not just excellent roleplaying)

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:36 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Sarderia wrote:ngl Texas gonna have another conflict so it's largely divided now, plus there are two Texas Rangers those who are loyal to Galveston and those who are loyal to Austin rn

It’s a shame too, at least the Eastern rebels had something they genuinely believe in. The downfall of Texas is literally just because one man and his cronies. There is no meaningful difference between Boykin and West’s Politics on the surface besides West wants more power. In essence, people will die in Texas over stroking one man’s ego, and that’s just sad. Like, Texas literally deserves to be conquered by the Union at this rate, because the internal conflicts are meaningless, and frankly zero substance. At the same time, this might be depressingly necessary to turn Texas into the constitutional monarchy I want it to be. I can’t nationalize the railroads without trusting the central government has the power to maintain them, or focus on important things like education. I wanted an RP where I could make Texas whole, and Democratic again, be an example. To address slavery and the problems of the working white poor. It seems some bodies need to swing before that dream happens.

Lone Star State's boutta got wrecked up in this RP, that's for sure. But essentially West did not want "more power". He's kind of an anarcho-capitalist, and he wanted to have a more democratic state, with an elective monarchy similar to Poland. The monopoly maintained by Boykin over mines and railroads are against his views, and once he got into power, he'll abolish both the Boykin and West corporations.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:43 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Also there are no elected officials lol

Arkansas have a system of that allows for some elected representation.

Sanabel wrote:It’s a catch-22 because they would fall to the Union first if they did

This is very true. But a very small minority doesn't necessarily dislike returning to the Union either.

Arkansas actually voted to remain in the Union. It's a divided state in the Civil War as there are many Union generals from Arkansas.
Rudiane wrote:Tag, by the way how did things go in the western theater? I was thinking of putting in an application as Patrick R. Cleburne.

There are no major engagements in the West as of now, but Texas is preparing for one, it seems

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 am

Would it be too much to ask for a quick rundown?

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:56 am

Lux Pulchrae wrote:Would it be too much to ask for a quick rundown?

TL;DR
Benjamin Boykin and Elias West agreed for a contract that would give West 50% of texas railroad shares and marry the Princess of Texas to West. In return West would hand over a single county's mines and oil to him and make Princess Iris duchess of Beaumont.
Meanwhile, back in Texas, West's confidant Eugene Broussard, Mayor of Beaumont, lynched Boykin's workers on the assupmtion of they stole the city's supplies and arsoned vital buildings. Broussard cut off Boykin's rails to Louisiana and asked for compensation to his city.
A new contract for railroads in Georgia is agreed between James Longstreet and Arthur Lee, Longstreet offers for Boykin to foster his son
Appalachian Partisan RIfles attacked the Asheville, NC-Nashville, TN railroad near the Emperor's house. The nobles can't go home and is trapped on Asheville.
A colonel rushed into the ballroom and announced the news. George Washington Vanderbilt passed unconscious. Stonewall Jackson assumed command of the Empire, planning to counter-attack the Partisans.
A delegation from The Path, a religious sect in Arkansas, arrived in Beaumont and met the Mayor in disguise.
In Texas, Boykin's rangers arrived to arrest Mayor Broussard. Broussard of course refused, and worsened the conflict. It'll be going military in a few moments.
The Archduke of Florida is building more corporations and industries in his state.
In Maryland, the US Governor is asserting his control over Potomac river.
Last edited by Sarderia on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:25 am

Washington Carroll Tevis, whom I used as a character in my latest IC post, is honestly one of the most fascinating characters from this era that I have ever heard about:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing ... roll_Tevis
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:52 am

Sarderia wrote:
Lux Pulchrae wrote:Would it be too much to ask for a quick rundown?

TL;DR
Benjamin Boykin and Elias West agreed for a contract that would give West 50% of texas railroad shares and marry the Princess of Texas to West. In return West would hand over a single county's mines and oil to him and make Princess Iris duchess of Beaumont.
Meanwhile, back in Texas, West's confidant Eugene Broussard, Mayor of Beaumont, lynched Boykin's workers on the assupmtion of they stole the city's supplies and arsoned vital buildings. Broussard cut off Boykin's rails to Louisiana and asked for compensation to his city.
A new contract for railroads in Georgia is agreed between James Longstreet and Arthur Lee, Longstreet offers for Boykin to foster his son
Appalachian Partisan RIfles attacked the Asheville, NC-Nashville, TN railroad near the Emperor's house. The nobles can't go home and is trapped on Asheville.
A colonel rushed into the ballroom and announced the news. George Washington Vanderbilt passed unconscious. Stonewall Jackson assumed command of the Empire, planning to counter-attack the Partisans.
A delegation from The Path, a religious sect in Arkansas, arrived in Beaumont and met the Mayor in disguise.
In Texas, Boykin's rangers arrived to arrest Mayor Broussard. Broussard of course refused, and worsened the conflict. It'll be going military in a few moments.
The Archduke of Florida is building more corporations and industries in his state.
In Maryland, the US Governor is asserting his control over Potomac river.

Oh, nobles CAN’T go home. Well I’ll just make a quick rewrite.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:58 am

Actually I don't really know about that, but the railroad is destroyed, so I think most of them can't go home yet. You could if you choose to go by carriages though

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:02 am

Gah, the mountain folk of North Carolina are going to shit themselves when the "foreign" troops start showing up.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:19 am

Sarderia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:It’s a shame too, at least the Eastern rebels had something they genuinely believe in. The downfall of Texas is literally just because one man and his cronies. There is no meaningful difference between Boykin and West’s Politics on the surface besides West wants more power. In essence, people will die in Texas over stroking one man’s ego, and that’s just sad. Like, Texas literally deserves to be conquered by the Union at this rate, because the internal conflicts are meaningless, and frankly zero substance. At the same time, this might be depressingly necessary to turn Texas into the constitutional monarchy I want it to be. I can’t nationalize the railroads without trusting the central government has the power to maintain them, or focus on important things like education. I wanted an RP where I could make Texas whole, and Democratic again, be an example. To address slavery and the problems of the working white poor. It seems some bodies need to swing before that dream happens.

Lone Star State's boutta got wrecked up in this RP, that's for sure. But essentially West did not want "more power". He's kind of an anarcho-capitalist, and he wanted to have a more democratic state, with an elective monarchy similar to Poland. The monopoly maintained by Boykin over mines and railroads are against his views, and once he got into power, he'll abolish both the Boykin and West corporations.

Which works fine until literally any monopoly from the East comes in and takes over the Railroads. If you screw with their investments, no one will invest in Texas ever again, because you don’t value property rights. It also goes against the principle of the Government staying out of people’s business affairs. Also anarcho capitalism would probably not oppose Boykin’s monopoly on the railroads. His opposition to the monopoly is very anti monopolistic for the sake of being anti monopolistic, thus more in the vein of Teddy Roosevelt. You can’t maintain you’re anti monopoly and anti government intervention at the same time. That involves some serious government intervention.
-Nuverkikstan

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:42 am

Alaroma wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Lone Star State's boutta got wrecked up in this RP, that's for sure. But essentially West did not want "more power". He's kind of an anarcho-capitalist, and he wanted to have a more democratic state, with an elective monarchy similar to Poland. The monopoly maintained by Boykin over mines and railroads are against his views, and once he got into power, he'll abolish both the Boykin and West corporations.

Which works fine until literally any monopoly from the East comes in and takes over the Railroads. If you screw with their investments, no one will invest in Texas ever again, because you don’t value property rights. It also goes against the principle of the Government staying out of people’s business affairs. Also anarcho capitalism would probably not oppose Boykin’s monopoly on the railroads. His opposition to the monopoly is very anti monopolistic for the sake of being anti monopolistic, thus more in the vein of Teddy Roosevelt. You can’t maintain you’re anti monopoly and anti government intervention at the same time. That involves some serious government intervention.

Well in real life that's what the American Wild West went, people owning mines and oil drills and there is significant competition, but then Standard Oil went in and bought everything. But it's still a long way to roleplay, and matters like that could be resolved once we've reached that point. The problem with Boykin is that the government exerted a monopoly, as Boykin is King and such his company is a SOE in all but name. Destroy the duopoly between Boykin and West and you get free market and competition. To regulate it, as to not favor one side over the other, a democratic elective monarchy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse