NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 am

Eh, did West and Boykin actually wrote out and signed the agreement yet? I don't think so
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 am

Sarderia wrote:Eh, did West and Boykin actually wrote out and signed the agreement yet? I don't think so

I would have assumed by this point IC, in the east. Im down for a post to write the agreement tho.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 am

Looking forward to how the westerly delegates intend to get home.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:58 am

Alright I have two meeting that I am waiting for responses in, i'm not going to wait much longer before moving on.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am

Dentali wrote:Alright I have two meeting that I am waiting for responses in, i'm not going to wait much longer before moving on.

I'm going to see to responding today once I'm done with working. Should be a few hours.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm

James Churchill Conway-Johnson - (1833 - ???)

Account Name: Federal States of Xathuecia
Motives: Industrialize the duchy, Create a new Southern culture, Compete with the developing Kansas City
Background: The Conway-Johnson family, a political force that had already begun dominating the state of Arkansas since its very inception as a territory has remained a political force in the region. James is part of this lineage, often referred to simply as “The Family” in Arkansas or now, given the more feudalistic and monarchical way of things, “The Dynasty”. He was the third eldest son of his father, James Sevier Conway-Johnson, who had been the Surveyor-General of the Arkansas Territory and a subsequent Governor. While growing up surrounded by the politics of the territory, this would soon change following the succession of the state following the Union attack on Fort Sumter. James would go on to volunteer as a soldier and war doctor, taking no leadership positions in the Arkansas regiments that were raised. Instead the young Conway-Johnson preferred to use his medical skills learned from his time in the Union city of Chicago.

Once the war was won and Emperor Vanderbilt’s reign commenced, his father vied for his favor with the hopes of retaining the Conway-Johnson family’s hold on Arkansas. Several military commanders would similarly compete with James Sevier until, perhaps due to his ability to convince Vanderbilt that not only would the other commanders be more volatile but instead themselves try to claim the throne, that James received the title of Archduke of Arkansas with the remainder of titles over the territory his own to distribute. This led to perhaps a more centralized form of government in the region, as the Conway-Johnson family sought to immediately distribute their own family members across the state so no matter where titles were given, they would be in the hands of the family. This was a greatly protested move among many of the common people and one that immediately led to the reorganization of the system to allow greater representation. The Archduke established the General Court of Arkansas to act as both a legislative body and an advisory one, while binding the smaller counties to establish County or City Councils, with elected representatives serving as similarly fused advisory/legislative bodies.

The system proved effective in helping create a peace in the state but following the untimely passing of James in 1870, the first test of the young Archduchy was passed when James inherited control of the government. While others in Arkansas had hoped his brothers would inherit the government instead, their untimely deaths during the War had placed the Archduchy in the hands of James. He marks the transition from an older guard of the family to a younger one, a generation of those seeking to continue to expand the Grand Southern culture of plantations and slavery, while James attempts to lead younger Arkansawyers to a more industralized future, being the first to begin discontinuing the practice of passing slaves down families as well as using the Purse of Arkansas to compensate the few plantations to free their slaves. It has now been seven years into his careful leadership of the Archduchy and as the number of free blacks rises, both due to his efforts and a growing migration across the South to what many view as the most progressive southern Archduchy, James has begun to feel the pushback by many free whites.

Now, with the Emperor dead and a new Emperor on the horizon, James views the future as one much more like the Western Union states and not the establishment. Increasingly supportive of industrial investments from Northerners in his state (which has led to a rise in European immigrants) and supporting the rising domestic cattle and livestock industries, he has continued to balance the old guard and new. This comes even as he continues to stir support for emancipation and a move to break with the Emperor, much more in favor of an independent state not tied to any ruler. Still, he faces pressures from nearby holdings who complain of his support for free blacks, his own Arkansawyers who don’t want Northerners, the dozens of shifting political coalitions in his Court who are supportive of expansion into Indian Territory or even the Union, and a growing number of younger members who are pleading for a return to statehood.

James is married, with five children who are all members of his General Court and serve primarily as specific advisors or representatives to other Duchies. The remainder of his family, once unified behind his father, has split into a number of the coalitions, movements, and groups described before. He retains ardent support from the majority but has to begin to carefully balance the interests of many of them, including the elder military men in the family who could do more than just threaten political war.

Titles/Positions: ArchDuke of Arkansas
Holdings: The Archduchy of Arkansas, Head of the House of Conway-Johnson; Together, these titles give him de facto control over the entirety of Arkansas give the centralized structure of the family and government
Politics: Supports rapid industrialization, emancipation of slaves, and large scale ranching and livestock raising; Privately supports a succession from the Southern Empire
Faith: Southern Baptist
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Consider:
Succession and forming the Kingdom of Louisiana-Arkansas

The American Austria-Hungary

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Consider:

Oh God, I don’t think so. Absolutely not, I will not have the Tranquil Path yeeted off the face of the Earth so soon. They might be a completely irrelevant faction - (and they’ll very likely stay that way) but they’re my completely irrelevant faction, damn it!
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:51 pm

SangMar wrote:

Oh God, I don’t think so. Absolutely not, I will not have the Tranquil Path yeeted off the face of the Earth so soon. They might be a completely irrelevant faction - (and they’ll very likely stay that way) but they’re my completely irrelevant faction, damn it!

I imagine Arkansas would probably be a final destination for many using the Path, given their more lenient laws regarding free blacks and close ties with the Union.

Though a united Kingdom with Louisiana would take a lot of work and political capital that I doubt the Conway-Johnson family would be too keen to expend.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
SangMar wrote:

I imagine Arkansas would probably be a final destination for many using the Path, given their more lenient laws regarding free blacks and close ties with the Union.

Though a united Kingdom with Louisiana would take a lot of work and political capital that I doubt the Conway-Johnson family would be too keen to expend.

It’s not a problem, my message was mostly joking in nature.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

The Vaktovian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 16, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Vaktovian Empire » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:42 pm

Is this still open? And if so could anyone highlight the major discrepancies aside from the fast obviously an organized central government in the Southern states remains on a state-to-state basis. I've been able to decipher the South lost the war, but the North has yet to impose a complete control of any of the Southern states? There's a sort of armistice in the works, if I'm correct.

I'm thinking of a good concept idea centralizing around a quasi-lord sort of ruling of the western parts of Tennessee, including Memphis, and with aspirations to increase holdings subsequently to the East towards Nashville, as well as the fact Tennessee at the very beginning of the war was absolutely divided on seceding between West and East portions.

I've got a good idea on what I want to draft up, just a little bit more background info people could provide would be appreciated.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 pm

The Vaktovian Empire wrote:Is this still open? And if so could anyone highlight the major discrepancies aside from the fast obviously an organized central government in the Southern states remains on a state-to-state basis. I've been able to decipher the South lost the war, but the North has yet to impose a complete control of any of the Southern states? There's a sort of armistice in the works, if I'm correct.

I'm thinking of a good concept idea centralizing around a quasi-lord sort of ruling of the western parts of Tennessee, including Memphis, and with aspirations to increase holdings subsequently to the East towards Nashville, as well as the fact Tennessee at the very beginning of the war was absolutely divided on seceding between West and East portions.

I've got a good idea on what I want to draft up, just a little bit more background info people could provide would be appreciated.

Well, no, the South won the war. But the South’s Libertarian Localist Bonner went to the extreme, and exposed how garbage we are at ruling ourselves. Thus, we’ve fallen to a Feudalist system of Government, and honestly, the North kicking the door in for round two might be the best thing for southerners, let alone black people.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:52 pm

SangMar wrote:

Tranquil path are your people right?

Also will post soon just to put my piece in. Coronation is still on right? Or post-coronation, which Duchamp was in attendance

*cough* De France *cough*

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 pm

The Vaktovian Empire wrote:Is this still open? And if so could anyone highlight the major discrepancies aside from the fast obviously an organized central government in the Southern states remains on a state-to-state basis. I've been able to decipher the South lost the war, but the North has yet to impose a complete control of any of the Southern states? There's a sort of armistice in the works, if I'm correct.

As far as I know, it's open. However, the South won the Civil War— but following its victory, the Confederacy dissolved and self-proclaimed aristocrats divvied up the lands amongst themselves, all ostensibly under the Southern Empire, which, as another poster aptly pointed out, is quite similar to the late-stage Holy Roman Empire, except that its emperor has no holding of his own, such as Austria in the real-life HRE.

(BTW, if you're thinking of applying, I would encourage you to apply as one of the colorful IRL Confederates:
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:There is an absolute bevy of characters as whom, I'm surprised, no one has yet applied. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Raphael Semmes, Judah P. Benjamin, Earl Van Dorn, J.E.B. Stuart, Wade Hampton III, William Quantrill, Jesse James, Bloody Bill Anderson, and John Mosby come to mind immediately. They would absolutely be power players in this scenario and each have an extremely unique personality and rich history off of which to build, so if anyone is thinking of applying, I would recommend one of them.

All of those examples are extremely interesting people who would 100% be playing a part in this world— not to mention you can mold their post-war [and even during-war] personalities as you see fit. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find one who interest you and suits your purposes. Or just make an original character, of course. This is merely my suggestion.)
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

The United Empire of Exucular
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Anarchy

Postby The United Empire of Exucular » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 pm

Interest idea! Keep in mind there’s some resistance fighters in the Appalachian region that’s in conflict with the Empire of the South.

Also much of the history of the last couple decades is up in the air and for us to decide and make up. As long as it’s plausible-ish anything goes.
CSS ALLIANCE MEMBER

Head of The Grand Inquisition of the Church of Google
The Where's Waldo of the Region of Atlas
General of Ugandan Outer Space
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
Click for War History!
#IStandWithAtlas #UniteAtlasDiaspora

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Is there an imperial senate? Should there be?

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:30 am

@Denali are we gonna continue the talk?

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 am

Lux Pulchrae wrote:
SangMar wrote:

Tranquil path are your people right?

Also will post soon just to put my piece in. Coronation is still on right? Or post-coronation, which Duchamp was in attendance

*cough* De France *cough*

Yes.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 am

Sarderia wrote:@Denali are we gonna continue the talk?

yea did i miss a post?

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:00 am

Dentali wrote:
Sarderia wrote:@Denali are we gonna continue the talk?

yea did i miss a post?

Arthur Lee answered to Longstreet, in case you missed it, it's above the long post of Eugene Broussard

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 am

Sarderia wrote:
Dentali wrote:

yea did i miss a post?

Arthur Lee answered to Longstreet, in case you missed it, it's above the long post of Eugene Broussard

I had completely missed it, my apologies

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:25 am

Dentali wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Arthur Lee answered to Longstreet, in case you missed it, it's above the long post of Eugene Broussard

Btw, Boykin approached your guy too.
-Nuverkikstan

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:27 am

Alaroma wrote:
Dentali wrote:

Btw, Boykin approached your guy too.

totally missed it, can you link?

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am

Damn, Broussard really need to split himself half this time. One part dealing with the rangers at day and the others a Path member at night.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Sarderia wrote:Damn, Broussard really need to split himself half this time. One part dealing with the rangers at day and the others a Path member at night.

Sorry about that, for some reason, I thought it’d be a good idea to have my visit to Beaumont be at night.

If you’d like, we could just say that interaction occurred the night before the business with the Rangers? - the Path member could then crash at a boarding house/tavern etc and then I could have them picking up matters with Broussard during the day - of course, that would put him on a path to meet with the Rangers too.

Or would that make no sense?
Last edited by SangMar on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse