NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:13 pm

I’m gonna repeal a rather draconian law about every Freeman and woman needing the approval of the legislature to stay in Texas.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Alaroma wrote:I’m gonna repeal a rather draconian law about every Freeman and woman needing the approval of the legislature to stay in Texas.

Good luck convincing White Texans to consent to that.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Alaroma wrote:I’m gonna repeal a rather draconian law about every Freeman and woman needing the approval of the legislature to stay in Texas.

Good luck convincing White Texans to consent to that.

Well in practice, a lot of prominent whites in Texans interceded on behalf of Free blacks, preventing these regulations from effecting these people. The oddness being the law existed, but they tended to prevent its enforcement in their own district. I’ll probably replace it with forcing all freed blacks to carry around identification papers.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I wonder how the conversations at the coronation would be different if Caldwell Colt attended. I bet many of the Kings and dukes would hound him to set up Colt armories in their lands just to Kickstart industrialization.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Don’t know much about Texan attitude towards black peoples but, to me at least, it seemed nominal compared to maybe the tensions Texans dealt with against Mexicans and Indians. But if it’s the same in Texas as the rest of the south there might be some white aristocratic reisistence.

Sarderia wrote:
Vienna Eliot wrote:Longstreet and Lee are accepted. Would everyone do me a favor and check if all your characters are listed in the OP and, if not, link to them?

Thank you very much OP, all of them are listed.
Lux Pulchrae wrote:
Benicio "Benny" Thomas de Tejada - (1839 - Present)
Account Name: Lux Pulchrae
Occupation: Whatever job needs working/occasional bounty hunter
Motives: Money and eventually make it east and go back to his family's homeland
Background:

Born in 1839 to a family of New Mexican lowly ranchers out west. Around the age of 19, while fetching provisions in the nearby town, Benny returned to see the ranch burnt, cattle stolen and his family killed by an Apache raid. Burying his family, he attempted to rebuild the ranch shortly after, but to no avail. Hearing tales throughout the years of his father's family, the Tejadas, who were a wealthy merchant and expeditionary family in their home country of Lux Pulchrae, Benny kept those tales in his heart and mind in the decades following his family's massacre, deeply wanting to return to home he never knew.

Over the years he's worked many jobs and killed many men, luckily he avoided the war, having no real care for the south and rarely seeing a slave. As the southern empire rose, he did as he always had, working odd jobs and bringing in any bounty that was offered to him.

A stereotypical silent type with no patient for nonsense and no love for Indians either, Benny's had enough of America and is fixing to get himself to the East Coast and the first ship back to Europe.

Titles/Positions: other than "Benny", none
Holdings: a horse named Rodrigo, a revolver, a bolt rifle.
Politics: none
Faith: Roman Catholic, if there's a church nearby

A legal, or less than legal, battle for railroad rights would be interesting

I could have some potential jobs for a bounty hunter...

I wonder what economic opportunities await. Pending approval of course.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:Don’t know much about Texan attitude towards black peoples but, to me at least, it seemed nominal compared to maybe the tensions Texans dealt with against Mexicans and Indians. But if it’s the same in Texas as the rest of the south there might be some white aristocratic reisistence.

Sarderia wrote:Thank you very much OP, all of them are listed.

I could have some potential jobs for a bounty hunter...

The white aristocrats are the ones breaking the damn law. Besides. I think with current attitudes, and the gradual turning against slavery, this is going to be one of the least controversial things I do.
-Nuverkikstan

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Lux Pulchrae wrote:Don’t know much about Texan attitude towards black peoples but, to me at least, it seemed nominal compared to maybe the tensions Texans dealt with against Mexicans and Indians. But if it’s the same in Texas as the rest of the south there might be some white aristocratic reisistence.

The white aristocrats are the ones breaking the damn law. Besides. I think with current attitudes, and the gradual turning against slavery, this is going to be one of the least controversial things I do.

We're all gonna have to tread carefully. Unfortunately, the only ones who remember what happens when you piss of a strong merchant class are the Bourbons. We're all in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the abolition of slavery. There's no easy and clean way to do it.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:The white aristocrats are the ones breaking the damn law. Besides. I think with current attitudes, and the gradual turning against slavery, this is going to be one of the least controversial things I do.

We're all gonna have to tread carefully. Unfortunately, the only ones who remember what happens when you piss of a strong merchant class are the Bourbons. We're all in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the abolition of slavery. There's no easy and clean way to do it.

It’s not like I’m making a major anti slavery move, it’s more like updating a law, and replacing it with something more efficient.

Edit: You are right tho, for now ground work needs to be laid.
Last edited by Alaroma on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nuverkikstan

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:15 pm

According to the OP the south won the civil war so what ramifications does that imply?

Was slavery abolished?
Last edited by Lux Pulchrae on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:According to the OP the south won the civil war so what ramifications does that imply?

Well we can assume a few things.

The North is prolly licking its wounds, and probably has been focusing on internal matters rn. The borders theoretically should be laid out out paper, but de facto borders are fuzzy. Besides that, my guess is Europe’s patience with the Confederacy’s practice of slavery is running thin, so the need for rapid political and social change is coming quickly, lest we suffer drastic consequences.
-Nuverkikstan

The United Empire of Exucular
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Anarchy

Postby The United Empire of Exucular » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:According to the OP the south won the civil war so what ramifications does that imply?

Was slavery abolished?

Like Just on the south or globally?

I would say it was abolished in the North and border states still Union at least.
CSS ALLIANCE MEMBER

Head of The Grand Inquisition of the Church of Google
The Where's Waldo of the Region of Atlas
General of Ugandan Outer Space
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
Click for War History!
#IStandWithAtlas #UniteAtlasDiaspora

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:We're all gonna have to tread carefully. Unfortunately, the only ones who remember what happens when you piss of a strong merchant class are the Bourbons. We're all in a bit of a pickle at the moment with the abolition of slavery. There's no easy and clean way to do it.

It’s not like I’m making a major anti slavery move, it’s more like updating a law, and replacing it with something more efficient.

Yes, we just have to keep the anger meter in the yellow and no higher. Especially in places where being rebellious is a matter of civi pride.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:It’s not like I’m making a major anti slavery move, it’s more like updating a law, and replacing it with something more efficient.

Yes, we just have to keep the anger meter in the yellow and no higher. Especially in places where being rebellious is a matter of civi pride.

>rebelliousness a matter of civil pride

Welcome to the American South everyone.
-Nuverkikstan

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Was slavery abolished?

There is nothing major, actually, other than the institution of slavery is still kept in the South. Actually since before the civil war they're trying to gradually pass out slavery as well, so I'd imagine the policy continued until now. New Mexico and Arizona would have a Union presence in the north, considering that they have Utah, Nevada, and California as states/territories. Other than that, Maryland is controlled by a US Governor (so it might well return into Union fold), and Confederate control in Virginia is deteriorating.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Y'all keep referring to the Confederacy. I understand this is just semantics, but I would like a quick clarification.

To my understanding, the Confederacy has collapsed and been replaced with "the Southern Empire" or "the Empire of the South." Although the original Emperor apparently did not claim that title, his grandson has been coronated Emperor and is referred to as such. But in any case, the Confederate States no longer exist, correct? Overall the political situation is extremely confusing, which I understand is the point of this RP, but for the purpose of foreign relations with Europe at the very least, would what was once the Confederacy now be considered the Empire of the South, entirely ruled by the Emperor (even if in practice he can project power over very little of that area)?
Last edited by The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:Y'all keep referring to the Confederacy. I understand this is just semantics, but I would like a quick clarification.

To my understanding, the Confederacy has collapsed and been replaced with "the Southern Empire" or "the Empire of the South." Although the original Emperor apparently did not claim that title, his grandson has been coronated Emperor and is referred to as such. But in any case, the Confederate States no longer exist, correct? Overall the political situation is extremely confusing, which I understand is the point of this RP, but for the purpose of foreign relations with Europe at the very least, would what was once the Confederacy now be considered the Empire of the South, entirely ruled by the Emperor (even if in practice he can project power over very little of that area)?

Well, yes and no. In large part, the South is considered a political entity for Europe, but, rather like the HRE, member states have been known to conduct diplomacy separately, particularly ones like Louisiana with significant ties to certain powers that exist specifically there rather than on a national level.

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Well, yes and no. In large part, the South is considered a political entity for Europe, but, rather like the HRE, member states have been known to conduct diplomacy separately, particularly ones like Louisiana with significant ties to certain powers that exist specifically there rather than on a national level.

Okay, comparing it to the late-stage HRE is actually illuminating, thanks.
Last edited by The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:Well, yes and no. In large part, the South is considered a political entity for Europe, but, rather like the HRE, member states have been known to conduct diplomacy separately, particularly ones like Louisiana with significant ties to certain powers that exist specifically there rather than on a national level.

Okay, comparing it to the late-stage HRE is actually illuminating, thanks.

Yeah, it's sorta like the HRE except without as much of a clear dominating power like Austria.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:08 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:Okay, comparing it to the late-stage HRE is actually illuminating, thanks.

Yeah, it's sorta like the HRE except without as much of a clear dominating power like Austria.

Emperor should be quick to assert otherwise.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Lux Pulchrae wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:Yeah, it's sorta like the HRE except without as much of a clear dominating power like Austria.

Emperor should be quick to assert otherwise.

Well, Austria was a dominating entity within the HRE whose leader was the Holy Roman Emperor. In this analogy, Austria doesn't exist, and the Holy Roman Emperor doesn't have a substate that he also rules.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:12 am

Sarderia wrote:

Was slavery abolished?

There is nothing major, actually, other than the institution of slavery is still kept in the South. Actually since before the civil war they're trying to gradually pass out slavery as well, so I'd imagine the policy continued until now. New Mexico and Arizona would have a Union presence in the north, considering that they have Utah, Nevada, and California as states/territories. Other than that, Maryland is controlled by a US Governor (so it might well return into Union fold), and Confederate control in Virginia is deteriorating.

It's likely that Maryland is somewhat of a typical frontier state, with tensions alongside the Virginia border and trouble with leftovers of Copperhead Democrats across Maryland.

In that regard, Maryland in RL banned Confederate veterans and sympathizers from voting between 1864 and 1867. I wonder if in this alternate reality where the Confederacy survives, this disenfranchisement could still continue, for obvious reasons?
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:04 am

Also, a question I was wondering about: if I want to write from the perspective of, say, a military officer carrying out the crackdowns on Confederate sympathizers in Maryland on behalf of my Newton Knight character, do I have to make a separate application for it?
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:23 am

Dahyan wrote:Also, a question I was wondering about: if I want to write from the perspective of, say, a military officer carrying out the crackdowns on Confederate sympathizers in Maryland on behalf of my Newton Knight character, do I have to make a separate application for it?

I'm making an app for a Mayor, so I'd guess yes.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:03 am

Duke Longstreet has arrived at Biltmore, i'd like to get some conversations going and maybe get some alliances or agreements. Who is at the party and is anyone interested?
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 am

Dentali wrote:Duke Longstreet has arrived at Biltmore, i'd like to get some conversations going and maybe get some alliances or agreements. Who is at the party and is anyone interested?

Do you want to bulid some projects, or is in need of funds?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse