NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Vienna Eliot wrote:
Northern Poland wrote:I'm interested in this RP, very unique! I was thinking of a character like "The Generalisimo of Alabama" Something like a General in charge of the state, Instead of a King? Y'know, something like Texas when they got separated from the rest of the Confederacy. Would that be alright?

I would approve of that. I assume they would’ve been originally appointed by the Emperor? Or did they perhaps assume power by force and then receive a nominal appointment? Or, further, perhaps they’re a holdout from the Empire. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

SangMar wrote:How’s travel being handled RP-wise? Given the distances and technology involved?

I believe horse and carriage was the preferred mode of transit at the time. After the coronation festivities conclude, we’ll jump ahead a week or so.

The south had a small patchwork of rail networks which I imagine might see use by the wealthy.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Nate Brandon Jones - (1821 - Present)

Account Name: Alaroma
Motives: Make Texas one place again, I reckon.
Background:

Animals, that’s what men who don’t accept the law and the unspoken code of common decency are. I figured out as much when I was a 12 year old boy, living out on the edge of the Texian colonies. I’m not sure you can really comprehend the horror of going into town with your family slave, and coming home to see your 8 year old sister with an axe sticking up proudly from her back, your little brother floating drowned in The nearby creak, and your father with his scalp missing. Your mother with stab wounds, bleeding on the kitchen, and only because of your family slave, you’re able to bring her back to town. Then you wait 3 days and nights in anxiety and fear as you don’t know if she’ll make it. She survived, but what our family once was sure as hell didn’t. Man of the house at 12? Only in Texas, am I right? Did I hate the Indians for what they did? You bet I did. Being older, I realized it was probably the Comanche who did it. So now I just hate Comanche.

Don’t get me wrong though, I wasn’t much of a fan of Mexicans when they crossed the Rio Grande. I really wasn’t a fan when news of what happened at the Alamo and Goliad hit. When we got swept up in the runaway scrape, I thought that was enough. I went and joined the Texian Army, and like hell I was just gonna let the damn Mexicans take everything from me a second time. I was 15, but they didn’t squint too hard when I joined the rebel army, they needed every pair of capable hands they get. I broke my ma’s heart when I went off to join the rebels, I’m certain. We all knew what that Tyrant Santa Anna did to captured Texans. My time spent with the Army wasn’t what you’d call the dream, we were constantly running and training. Men complained about when we’d finally make Santa Anna pay for what he had done. I had my own doubts, but I meet the man actually. Some of my platoon mates played a prank on me. My pistol, had it from my pa, wasn’t working quite right. Was told that the General’s tent was where the gun repair man was. I was a brat, didn’t know better. Treated the man insolently demanding he fix my pistol. I nearly shit my trousers when I figured out who I was talking to. Funny enough he said leave the pistol, and he sent me off on an assignment with my comrades. Not too longer, he addressed the army. Said how we didn’t have a second chance to do this, and if they wanted victory, he would give it to them. He also talked about me, and how even though it was unwittingly, I put trust in him to fix my pistol. When I got it back not too long later, sure enough, the man fixed it. It was also when he promised our ‘revenge’ was coming soon.

Sure enough, when the Battle of San Jacinto came, it was a splurge of violence. Not sure it’s quite right to call it a battle, as much as a massacre. Even I killed a man that day, and I wasn’t sure if I should regret it at first. Our officers were horrified, and tried to get us to back down. That was my first war, and it wasn’t a bad run. The Republic was established, and we were decommissioned. Me and my mother went back home, but I wasn’t quite done yet. Eventually, she remarried, and I thank God for every day for my step father. Because of him, not too long after I joined the Texas Rangers.

As a ranger, our job was to protect settlements, and deal with the Comanche, as well as general law enforcement. If I had to describe my tenor during the Republican years, perhaps a story during the time of Lamar. We came upon a settlement one day, the population utterly wiped out. We were too late to do anything. We weren’t too late to get revenge though. They had slaughtered the town like animals. So we tracked down one of their scouts, and skinned him until he coughed up the whereabouts of their base. Then we raided them back. They killed like animals. So we slaughtered them like animals. We didn’t let the men get away with it, and hunted them down to the last. We dragged the women and children off, and we handed them over to the Tonkawa. Not sure what they did with them, didn’t give a fuck.

It shocked the Comanche we could hit back that hard, but so the cycle of violence went. Do you wanna hear a dirty little secret? I was happy the day we joined the Union. I thought it meant we was going to get some reinforcements. Sure, the Indians were trouble, not like the Mexicans were being kind to us either. The series of wars I fought against the Indians was nothing like the Mexican American war though, it was quite the affair. You might have heard of it. It also was my first time commanding men in such important engagements. I worked as a scout and advisor for American troops.

The war itself was a relatively quick affair for all the goodies it had gained the American Republic. In the wars aftermath, I was 27 years old, and frankly ‘‘twas time to start a family. So I did. Married a nice curly haired gal a few years later, and tried living a quiet life in East Texas, not terribly far from where my mother was. It was a nice life until a couple of rangers had come knocking on my door. The North was coming, and old Rangers along with community men decided to elect me as the commander for our local unit. We headed out west, and launched our liberation into the New Mexico’s territory. After the Battle of Mesilla, we proclaimed the territory of Arizona. The locals were thankful of course, not that there was many locals to begin with. I suppose that’s why it was a territory after all. After the victory at the Battle of Glorieta Pass, it was followed by the capture of Fort Union. It broke the control of the Union, and forced their retreat into the Colorado territory.

The next stage of our war was the battling of the California Column who tried to reassert control over the region. The establishment of supply lines from Texas was rough, and the receiving of substantial reinforcements was rare. However we managed to wage a successful defense of the territory. It was made easier when the forces to the East really began going in our favor, and soon enough the Unionists had faltered and asked for peace. Unfortunately that’s just when our hell began. Confederate government bogged itself down with the details of existing, the collapse of the Confederacy into practical feudalism was a shock. Some units broke to return home to Texas–Indian, but me and my outfit stayed for a few years to help the locals stabilize and set up their own set ups.

Upon returning home, we got the heroes welcome, but not much beyond that. However we did get a welcome from the new Texan leader. King Franklin Lukas Boykin, and my future employers. I started off as leading his rendition of the Texas Rangers, trying to keep people safe. Before long though, it evolved past that. It became political, and I got that. Texas was broken, and soon the Rangers became an investigative agency, a partial secret police if you will. Not like I hadn’t tortured people before, but doing that to Christians felt off you know? So I had to get creative, and learn to intimidate people. We set up spy cells, we ran counter intelligence, we conducted assassinations, we hunt down killers and Indians. There of course was the difference between our public face and our night face. Publicly, we were the demons of killers and Comanche. In private, we became one of the many glues that was going to put this damn land back together. Today, I command 1,000 Texas Rangers, and we are the fucking glue.

Titles/Positions: Chief of the Texas Rangers Divisions throughout Texas.
Holdings: My house, I suppose. I’m no lord, I’m a public official.
Politics: I want to restore Texas, I want to bring safety, and I want real democracy to come back. I want the security I felt when it was just me, my wife, and my little ones.
Faith: Methodist Chruch
Last edited by Alaroma on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:There is an absolute bevy of characters as whom, I'm surprised, no one has yet applied. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Raphael Semmes, Judah P. Benjamin, Earl Van Dorn, J.E.B. Stuart, Wade Hampton III, William Quantrill, Jesse James, Bloody Bill Anderson, and John Mosby come to mind immediately. They would absolutely be power players in this scenario and each have an extremely unique personality and rich history off of which to build, so if anyone is thinking of applying, I would recommend one of them.

JEB BUSH! So you're what you're saying is we could have ourselves a roman generals-esque situation?

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:46 pm

Pretty much, Robert E Lee, Longstreet, Forrest, and all the other famous generals could do a military coup if they wanted to. They're the ones that won the civil war. With this feudal system, there's a good chance the veterans would side with the generals over the aristocracy. Pretty much Rich man's war but a poor man's fight mentality. That's assuming we don't have a slave revolt in the horizon.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:52 pm

Coming back to the point of industrialisation and modernisation that was discussed recently: would it be acceptable to say that Maryland is going through relatively rapid industrialisation especially around Baltimore, as it did in real life?
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 am

Dahyan wrote:Coming back to the point of industrialisation and modernisation that was discussed recently: would it be acceptable to say that Maryland is going through relatively rapid industrialisation especially around Baltimore, as it did in real life?

Chill out bro, that didn't really kick off till the mid 80s. For now you're pretty reliant on your ports and farming still.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:35 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:
Dahyan wrote:Coming back to the point of industrialisation and modernisation that was discussed recently: would it be acceptable to say that Maryland is going through relatively rapid industrialisation especially around Baltimore, as it did in real life?

Chill out bro, that didn't really kick off till the mid 80s. For now you're pretty reliant on your ports and farming still.

Which is why I ask. So far, I've only found information that says "after the Civil War, Maryland industrialised rapidly", which is quite vague as far as time frames go.

News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:20 am

Stephen Mallory II - (1848 - Present)

Account Name: The Baton Rouge Free State
Motives: Develop Florida, Help the Confederacy Survive
Background: Born in Columbia, South Carolina; Mallory and his family moved to Pensacola when he was young, his father, Stephen R Mallory, became a Democrat Senator for Florida. When the south seceded his family were avid supporters, his father became the Minister of the Navy during the war. When Stephen II turned 16 his father sent him to a boarding school in Saint Augustine where he became fluent in Spanish and Latin. Mallory attended the University of Virginia for college, before leaving however, his father was appointed the Archduke of Florida, and the prestige of the new appointment would carry with him when he went to University. He studied Law and Political Science at University, graduating in 1870. He then attended William and Mary where he studied Philosophy and became a Latin instructor and tutor. However in 1872, his father requested he return to Florida to help train him to become his successor. Stephen returned and began to spend a lot of time in Jacksonville, the city he believes will become the future of the state Economy. In the summer of 1872 his father sent him on a trip to Europe where he toured the Mediterranean. After returning Stephen wanted to try and replicate the style, planning, and splendor of cities such as Paris, Madrid, and Milan. He also grew to love Roman culture and history. In 1873, he went on a trip to Mexico and the Caribbean, and helped establish an immigration campaign to Florida, however, it was quickly shut down by his father. In the fall of 1873, Stephen's father died and left 25 year old Stephen with the Archduke title. Stephen made sure to make a big show of force by holding a military parade in Jacksonville. Then in the winter of 1874 he called his nobles to a gathering in Tallahassee, for what he would call the Floridian Convent, he stated that every five years a meeting would be held to receive input and updates from the various lords and to breed cooperation. In 1875 he established two universities in Florida, the Royal Floridian University in Tallahassee, and the College of Juan Ponce de Leon in Saint Augustine, the latter of which was funded in part by the Catholic Church, and given in full ownership to the catholic church in 1876. In 1875 the Florida Railway Company was establish, a state owned rail company which would set up rail lines across the state, to provide rapid means of transport and induce economic growth. In 1876 he created the Florida Library Union, a system of Libraries to be constructed across the state and provide people with easy access to books and knowledge for free. Throughout his tenure so far, he has also injected lots of funding in the form of subsidies into increasing Banana, Citrus, and Fruit Farming. In 1876 he also sponsored the construction of fishing wharfs in many settlements across the Archduchy including Tampa Bay, Saint Petersburg, Saint Augustine, Jacksonville, Port Orange, and Sarasota.

Titles/Positions: Archduke of Florida, Duke of Jacksonville, Marquess of Tallahassee, Viscount of Saint Augustine, Count of Pensacola, Custodian of the Everglades, Baron of Key West
Holdings: Jacksoneville, Tallahassee, Saint Augustine, Pensacola, Everglades and the Miami-Fort Lauderdale Area, Key West
Politics: Supports mild industrialization, infrastructure expansion, agriculture expansion, immigration, abolition (only due to the extent that sharecropping would be more profitable and it would increase relations with Europe).
Faith: Episcopal

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:23 am

Dahyan wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:Chill out bro, that didn't really kick off till the mid 80s. For now you're pretty reliant on your ports and farming still.

Which is why I ask. So far, I've only found information that says "after the Civil War, Maryland industrialised rapidly", which is quite vague as far as time frames go.

Yah, from what I know about the state its not a very big manufacturing center, the two major metropolises are Baltimore and DC, Baltimore is largely reliant on its banking and port, whilst the DC suburbs in Maryland such as Bethesda are largely there to be business hubs for companies dealing with the federal government. Furthermore, I don't recall Baltimore being a real hub of industrialization, I know it was a big railroading center, and there may have been some mills there, but largely its there a big Chesapeake port for the state.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 am

Dahyan wrote:

Yah, from what I know about the state its not a very big manufacturing center, the two major metropolises are Baltimore and DC, Baltimore is largely reliant on its banking and port, whilst the DC suburbs in Maryland such as Bethesda are largely there to be business hubs for companies dealing with the federal government. Furthermore, I don't recall Baltimore being a real hub of industrialization, I know it was a big railroading center, and there may have been some mills there, but largely its there a big Chesapeake port for the state.

I did read that it was mostly known for the railroads and shipping, indeed. I'll focus on that mostly then in terms of economy.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 am

Dahyan wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:Yah, from what I know about the state its not a very big manufacturing center, the two major metropolises are Baltimore and DC, Baltimore is largely reliant on its banking and port, whilst the DC suburbs in Maryland such as Bethesda are largely there to be business hubs for companies dealing with the federal government. Furthermore, I don't recall Baltimore being a real hub of industrialization, I know it was a big railroading center, and there may have been some mills there, but largely its there a big Chesapeake port for the state.

I did read that it was mostly known for the railroads and shipping, indeed. I'll focus on that mostly then in terms of economy.

With Virginia being in the CSA, Maryland will be the location of all the suburbs outside of DC, so you could get some extra economic bonuses from that.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:32 am

Dahyan wrote:I did read that it was mostly known for the railroads and shipping, indeed. I'll focus on that mostly then in terms of economy.

With Virginia being in the CSA, Maryland will be the location of all the suburbs outside of DC, so you could get some extra economic bonuses from that.

Ka-ching.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:42 am

Dahyan wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:With Virginia being in the CSA, Maryland will be the location of all the suburbs outside of DC, so you could get some extra economic bonuses from that.

Ka-ching.

Although tbh if I were the union at this point i'd be moving my capital to Philadelphia or New York, both far more defensible.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 am

Dahyan wrote:
Ka-ching.

Although tbh if I were the union at this point i'd be moving my capital to Philadelphia or New York, both far more defensible.

That would make sense, but as far as I know, the RP still has the Union meeting in Washington. I suppose it's up to the OP to decide on that.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:06 am

OP, I just want to confirm that the app for Captain Kirkland has been dropped and replaced with the app for Viscount Lee in Virginia. Is the new app accepted?
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:19 am

Has my app been addressed yet?

Also is it feasible for Louisanna to have a black Royal guardsman?
(Idea for another character)
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 am

Dahyan wrote:I did read that it was mostly known for the railroads and shipping, indeed. I'll focus on that mostly then in terms of economy.

Ehh, not exactly. The land across the Potomac would still be open to Union settlement, since it's nominally controlled by the Lee and Rotschild banking family which is neutral (slightly Union-aligned). So Alexandria and Arlington would still host barracks of Union troops and other Union representatives as well, but south of it the Confederates exerted authority.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 am

Ideal Britain wrote:Has my app been addressed yet?

Also is it feasible for Louisanna to have a black Royal guardsman?
(Idea for another character)

Abbasid slave soldier
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:24 am

Sarderia wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:With Virginia being in the CSA, Maryland will be the location of all the suburbs outside of DC, so you could get some extra economic bonuses from that.

Ehh, not exactly. The land across the Potomac would still be open to Union settlement, since it's nominally controlled by the Lee and Rotschild banking family which is neutral (slightly Union-aligned). So Alexandria and Arlington would still host barracks of Union troops and other Union representatives as well, but south of it the Confederates exerted authority.

If there are union troops in both Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, the Union is absolutely finished. If Union troops are south of the Potomac there is nothing that would stop them from just walking through Virginia unless the Confederacy maintains some kind of Maginot Line style defense, which I doubt.

I would very much contest that the American Rothschilds allowing the Union to keep soldiers in Virginia would be realistic

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 am

Sanabel wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Ehh, not exactly. The land across the Potomac would still be open to Union settlement, since it's nominally controlled by the Lee and Rotschild banking family which is neutral (slightly Union-aligned). So Alexandria and Arlington would still host barracks of Union troops and other Union representatives as well, but south of it the Confederates exerted authority.

If there are union troops in both Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, the Union is absolutely finished. If Union troops are south of the Potomac there is nothing that would stop them from just walking through Virginia unless the Confederacy maintains some kind of Maginot Line style defense, which I doubt.

I would very much contest that the American Rothschilds allowing the Union to keep soldiers in Virginia would be realistic

I wanted to balance both the part regarding "the Union still meets in Washington" with a Rotschild (and related to the Lee family moreso) in control of Alexandria. That is a fair point though - they as a regional Viscount won't outrightly allow Union presence in their domains. I wonder how to balance this condition.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:38 am

Sarderia wrote:
Sanabel wrote:If there are union troops in both Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, the Union is absolutely finished. If Union troops are south of the Potomac there is nothing that would stop them from just walking through Virginia unless the Confederacy maintains some kind of Maginot Line style defense, which I doubt.

I wanted to balance both the part regarding "the Union still meets in Washington" with a Rotschild (and related to the Lee family moreso) in control of Alexandria. That is a fair point though - they as a regional Viscount won't outrightly allow Union presence in their domains. I wonder how to balance this condition.

The Union could meet in Washington by simply maintaining control of the Baltimore to Washington corridor in Maryland and by staying North of the Potomac, while the rest of Maryland could be under Confederate control.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:40 am

Sanabel wrote:
Sarderia wrote:I wanted to balance both the part regarding "the Union still meets in Washington" with a Rotschild (and related to the Lee family moreso) in control of Alexandria. That is a fair point though - they as a regional Viscount won't outrightly allow Union presence in their domains. I wonder how to balance this condition.

The Union could meet in Washington by simply maintaining control of the Baltimore to Washington corridor in Maryland and by staying North of the Potomac, while the rest of Maryland could be under Confederate control.

So there would be no official connection between Alexandria and Washington, but could business relations and such still be maintained? Aside from military affairs of course.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:42 am

Sarderia wrote:
Sanabel wrote:The Union could meet in Washington by simply maintaining control of the Baltimore to Washington corridor in Maryland and by staying North of the Potomac, while the rest of Maryland could be under Confederate control.

So there would be no official connection between Alexandria and Washington, but could business relations and such still be maintained? Aside from military affairs of course.

I don’t see how that would work. Alexandria would probably be less of a city and more of a fortress if the Union has a strong presence across the river- heavily fortified.

It’s not like the Union and former CSA have an open border and customs union

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:44 am

I think this is why there was talk of Virginia being under military rule

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 am

Sarderia wrote:

Wait, is it confirmed that the Union has a presence, or options to expand, in Virginia?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse