NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Alaroma wrote:
Sarderia wrote:Good Lord now I wish I'd drawn up an app for General Lee.
Both Republicans then... yee haw we fight for texas independence

Not sure about Texan Independence. Now Israel, he believes the Confederacy is a regressive waste of time, and as soon as the Texan state has consolidated enough power to function properly, they should bow out.

Ben for his part believes in building a workable state in Texas, and seeing if the Confederacy can be saved.

I think the reason why Elias West dislike both of them is that Ben exerted a monopoly over the railroad industry, significant competitor in the mining sector, and overall he wanted more libertarian economic policies. Oh and he's salty that the Confederates turned out to be Kings and Lords instead of a proper Washington toligarchy democracy
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Sarderia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:Not sure about Texan Independence. Now Israel, he believes the Confederacy is a regressive waste of time, and as soon as the Texan state has consolidated enough power to function properly, they should bow out.

Ben for his part believes in building a workable state in Texas, and seeing if the Confederacy can be saved.

I think the reason why Elias West dislike both of them is that Ben exerted a monopoly over the railroad industry, significant competitor in the mining sector, and overall he wanted more libertarian economic policies. Oh and he's salty that the Confederates turned out to be Kings and Lords instead of a proper Washington toligarchy democracy

I should say to be fair, the time period wasn’t exactly known for good libertarian economics. US industry was fueled by protectionism, monopolies, and tariffs, which eventually grew strong enough to be a force in themself. Texas is in that early phase.

Also tarrifs slap for Government income in this era, those kinds of taxes are prolly a solid part of State income. As for the Kings and Lords thing, Ben’s father took power to prevent a legit tyrant from coming to power. Also it’s not like Elias isn’t playing that game, he obviously is.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:13 am

Tagged for interest. Am I correct to understand we can make some sort of independent realms in our applications?
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:04 am

If anyone is looking for a second character, the French Rothschilds actually tried to set up an american branch with a guy named Salomon James de Rothschild and he actually supported the confederacy as well. He might be a nice character to set up a confederate banking industry if anyone wants him. I would take him but I feel like their might be a conflict of interest. Heres his wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_J ... Rothschild

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:10 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:If anyone is looking for a second character, the French Rothschilds actually tried to set up an american branch with a guy named Salomon James de Rothschild and he actually supported the confederacy as well. He might be a nice character to set up a confederate banking industry if anyone wants him. I would take him but I feel like their might be a conflict of interest. Heres his wiki page:

Certainement, on trouve que les français sont nombreaux ici!

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Christian Franklin - (1842 - present)

Account Name: SangMar

Motives: To expand the Tranquil Path throughout the South, and to prevent harm coming to those who aren’t involved in any conflicts following the old Emperor’s passing. To prevent the Cherokee from having their territory encroached upon too severely by settlers. Find out the fate of his mother.

Background:

As someone born from the dalliance of a Native American woman and a mid-ranking British diplomat posted to Washington D.C on a humid evening in summer 1842, Christian Franklin doesn’t know who his mother is. All he does know is that whenever his father was asked about his son’s lightly tanned complexion, the former would reply that Christian was of Iberian ancestry and nothing more should be asked about it. In fact, it wasn’t until he arrived in the US on a diplomatic posting of his own, several decades later that he began to even slightly doubt this story. It had just seemed so logical, as his father had never spoken about his own trip across the Atlantic - and therefore, Christian had never been given a reason to consider that he wasn’t of Iberian heritage.

Though, that would come later - and for the first two decades of his life, Christian would spend these at various public schools. Rugby School for boys was once of them. After that, he would attend the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich, and be educated further there - commissioning into the Royal Engineers as a 2nd Lieutenant following the completion of his courses there. Christian would be posted to Canada for most of his brief military career - helping to quite literally build the Colony of British Columbia. It was during this time that he would first meet indigenous people, having several encounters with members of the local First Nations tribes. In 1866, with his time in Canada at an end, Christian would buy himself out of the remaining years on his contract. Instead, Christian would return to the United Kingdom briefly, until a school friend offered him a relatively low-ranking position at a diplomatic mission in Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy.

Richmond would be an awakening for the 24 year old, who found himself exposed to the melting pot of cultures in the American South for the first time. Thankfully for Christian, as he wasn’t anyone of great importance to London’s image in the region, he had plenty of time to indulge himself too. At that time, everything seemed great - Britain had a stable source of cotton for its textile mills, and the United States was heavily weakened and no longer able to threaten Canada. In fact, if everything had continued down that route, Christian would’ve had a very easy life indeed. However, it wasn’t to be, and with cracks appearing throughout the Confederacy during the year, he soon made plans for an exit. He would head back to Britain, safe from the slowly imploding state of affairs on the American continent.

That was the plan, until Christian received a telegram from back home - and it wasn’t any news he was hoping for. It was his father - who told his son that he was now ill from tuberculosis and that not only would he not survive the year, but that even if Christian could come home, he should stay away from him - for his own health. As crushing as statement as this was, it held nothing on what Franklin Sr was to reveal next...

...He revealed that no, Christian’s mother was not of Iberian ancestry after all. In fact, she was a woman of Native American blood, presumably Cherokee. Furthermore, Christian’s father revealed that the woman had told him her family were living far to the west of Washington D.C, having been expelled there during the Trail of Tears in the late 1830s. Therefore, if Christian wanted to connect with any family of his, his best option was not to come back home, but to head west, to the Indian Territory - as maybe he could find some there.

With this weighing heavily on his mind, Christian prepared himself for a trip west - buying a thick coat, some warm boots, a stallion, and an old Civil War haversack to store said coat. He also exploited his military connections one final time; importing a Snider-Enfield breech-loading rifle and ammunition from Britain under the guise of being for sport. And after that...

He disappeared... already long gone before his absence was noticed by senior British diplomats in the state.

The missing staff member caused quite a stir amongst both the British and Confederate public, but Franklin Sr wasn’t entirely alarmed - his knew his son was off searching, and like himself when was younger, his son would find what he desired.

It would be several more years until Christian Franklin would resurface, being sighted by a wagon of settlers who were heading to California in December 1872. At some point in the following year, he would form the Tranquil Path - an organisation whose purpose was to protect traveling traders from criminals on the frontier’s poorly policed roads, protect Cherokee territory from encroaching White settlers and to act as a safe haven for escaped slaves and others who were being persecuted through no fault of their own. In the spring of 1874, construction would begin on the town of Paradise Under-the-Sky - which would become the Path’s main base of operations.

Titles/Positions: Grand Commander of the Tranquil Path. (1873-), Officer Cadet, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich (1860-1862). 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Engineers (1862-1863). Lieutenant, Royal Engineers (1863-1866). Diplomatic staff of the United Kingdom to the Confederate States of America. (1866-186?)

Holdings: Christian owns little in terms of property himself, however as Grand Commander of the Tranquil Path he does administer the town of Paradise Under-the-Sky, which doubles as the Path’s headquarters too. The reason for this is simple - the Tranquil Path doesn’t have its headquarters in the town, the town is the headquarters itself. A building doesn’t get erected, or a business doesn’t operate there without the Path’s say so. In time, the Tranquil Path want to expand - to have a safe haven like Paradise Under-the-Sky in every state - so they can be there for the downtrodden. For those who want to find it, it is located in Washington County, on the cusp of the Indian Territory - in modern-day Arkansas.

Politics: Christian Franklin’s political leanings are ambiguous at best, because he doesn’t enjoy discussing such matters - as they create division and divide people along arbitrary lines. All that is known is that Christian supports equality for all races - and thus stands completely in the way of what the Confederacy stood for. But how could he not? After all, those same people who support ideas of racial hierarchy and pseudo-science would never accept him. So why should he throw his lot in with them?

Faith: A lapsed Anglican, Christian believes there is too much suffering in the world for their to be any sort of God. However, he has recently been flirting with traditional Cherokee beliefs - in order to connect with his maternal roots.
Last edited by SangMar on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2018

Postby Vienna Eliot » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Dahyan wrote:Tagged for interest. Am I correct to understand we can make some sort of independent realms in our applications?

It depends what you mean by that. Every realm in the South is at least nominally part of the Empire, even though vassals exercise the true power.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:If anyone is looking for a second character, the French Rothschilds actually tried to set up an american branch with a guy named Salomon James de Rothschild and he actually supported the confederacy as well. He might be a nice character to set up a confederate banking industry if anyone wants him. I would take him but I feel like their might be a conflict of interest. Heres his wiki page:

Certainement, on trouve que les français sont nombreaux ici!

You're splitting my hairs with this french! I never learned it. :eek:

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Vienna, did you see my app on the last page?
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Caldwell Hart Colt - November 24, 1858 - present

Account Name: Commonwealth of the Union Princes
Occupation: Chairman of Colt Manufacturing Company, Captain of the CSS Texas Ironclad
Motives: Expand the company's revenue, become a famous inventor, outdo the Winchester Family
Background:
Caldwell Colt was born to perhaps one of the wealthiest and famous families in the Confederacy. All the wealth and recognition Colt received was built on the back of his father, Samuel Colt, the inventor of the Colt Revolver. Practically, the entire company has a monopoly over the Confederate Arms industry. Not Even Harper's Ferry can compare to the gravitas the Colts have. Born in Texas after his father's failed ventures in New Jersey, Colt studied at the University of Austin before enlisting in the Confederate Navy as a junior naval officer. From there, his father's fame and influence indirectly aided him to quickly climb the ranks to become the Captain of the CSS Texas, an ironclad that was commissioned after the end of the Civil War. However, Colt inherited the company at an awfully early time thanks to his father's untimely death. Young and bold, Colt followed his father's gunmaker career and began designing his own blueprints. While he isn't commanding his ironclad, Colt would spend his days managing the company's finances while conquering up his own gun designs. Currently, he had plans for a new gun called a double barrel rifle. One day, this gun would be seen in the hands of Confederates and Unionists; outlaws and sheriffs; cowboys and Indians; and everywhere else in between just like his father's invention before him.
Titles/Positions: Chairman of the Colt Manufacturing Company, Son of the Gun, Heir of the Peacemaker
Holdings: Colt Armories and Factories in Texas
Politics: Industrialization, Protectionism, Jingoism
Faith:Protestant
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Caldwell Hart Colt - November 24, 1858 - present
Account Name: Commonwealth of the Union Princes
Occupation: Chairman of Colt Manufacturing Company, Captain of the CSS Texas Ironclad
Motives: Expand the company's revenue, become a famous inventor, outdo the Winchester Family
Background:
Caldwell Colt was born to perhaps one of the wealthiest and famous families in the Confederacy. All the wealth and recognition Colt received was built on the back of his father, Samuel Colt, the inventor of the Colt Revolver. Practically, the entire company has a monopoly over the Confederate Arms industry. Not Even Harper's Ferry can compare to the gravitas the Colts have. Born in Texas after his father's failed ventures in New Jersey, Colt studied at the University of Austin before enlisting in the Confederate Navy as a junior naval officer. From there, his father's fame and influence indirectly aided him to quickly climb the ranks to become the Captain of the CSS Texas, an ironclad that was commissioned after the end of the Civil War. However, Colt inherited the company at an awfully early time thanks to his father's untimely death. Young and bold, Colt followed his father's gunmaker career and began designing his own blueprints. While he isn't commanding his ironclad, Colt would spend his days managing the company's finances while conquering up his own gun designs. Currently, he had plans for a new gun called a double barrel rifle. One day, this gun would be seen in the hands of Confederates and Unionists; outlaws and sheriffs; cowboys and Indians; and everywhere else in between just like his father's invention before him.
Titles/Positions: Chairman of the Colt Manufacturing Company, Son of the Gun, Heir of the Peacemaker
Holdings: Colt Armories and Factories in Texas
Politics: Industrialization, Protectionism, Jingoism
Faith:Protestant

I’ll take your entire stock!

*slams money on the table.*

On a serious note, I think we’ll get along real good.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Well, one supposes it must be time to speak to the Austrians about licensing the Werndl-Holub...

Mediama
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mediama » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:Well, one supposes it must be time to speak to the Austrians about licensing the Werndl-Holub...

Or the Imperial Japanese for their stock.
Basically, Canada with Naboo style royalty and more British. My supposed foil and puppet nation is Consertoria

MBC News: Landmark decision establishes national holiday for elections|Seagull shows no fear as it crashes into power generator, causing massive blackouts|Talks in the process for upcoming state visit by Liegallan delegates|Mediaman Pacific Fleet conducts exercises with the United States|Parliament debates over intervention in Hintuwan over communist terrorism|Local Mediaman arrested after attempting to buy clothes from a soup store|Negotiations reached between Illistrantian municipal government and local LGBT Center restricting Pride parades to people 18 and over|Prime Minister Herman Marshal highlights need to 'counter communism around every corner'

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:32 pm

As cool as it is, I’m skeptical of us using different overall weapons. Makes standardization harder. Though I suppose I should wait for the OPs verdict on that.
-Nuverkikstan

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:35 pm

I was actually debating between the Colts or the Winchesters or simply combining the families. Both guns were very iconic at this period. But I settled with the Colt since revolvers are awesome and are more widespread

Of course, there are other gun companies the Confederates can rely on like Smith and Wesson but they don't have the same fame as Colt.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Can’t wait for my app to be reviewed, I’m looking forward to posting

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Alaroma wrote:As cool as it is, I’m skeptical of us using different overall weapons. Makes standardization harder. Though I suppose I should wait for the OPs verdict on that.

Well, it'd be a signature of people drifting further apart. Can't have someone from another state owning the gun factories!

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Sanabel wrote:Can’t wait for my app to be reviewed, I’m looking forward to posting

Yeah, he must really hate the new Emperor.

Also, Khas, any plans for the Lousiana Tigers? Gonna make them bodyguards?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Louisiana_Infantry
Last edited by Union Princes on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Union Princes wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Can’t wait for my app to be reviewed, I’m looking forward to posting

We’ll see. He’s a former teacher and professor, there is work he could do. But Jackson is a very austere and eccentric individual, so we shall see.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Union Princes wrote:

Also, Khas, any plans for the Lousiana Tigers? Gonna make them bodyguards?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Louisiana_Infantry

I figure they're going to serve as the royal garrison in New Orleans

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:
Alaroma wrote:As cool as it is, I’m skeptical of us using different overall weapons. Makes standardization harder. Though I suppose I should wait for the OPs verdict on that.

Well, it'd be a signature of people drifting further apart. Can't have someone from another state owning the gun factories!

My proposal is let other manufacturers produce it at the local level, and send whoever invented the gun some royalties.
-Nuverkikstan

Mediama
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mediama » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Khasinkonia wrote:

*Louisiana proceeds to use Labelle rifles.*
Basically, Canada with Naboo style royalty and more British. My supposed foil and puppet nation is Consertoria

MBC News: Landmark decision establishes national holiday for elections|Seagull shows no fear as it crashes into power generator, causing massive blackouts|Talks in the process for upcoming state visit by Liegallan delegates|Mediaman Pacific Fleet conducts exercises with the United States|Parliament debates over intervention in Hintuwan over communist terrorism|Local Mediaman arrested after attempting to buy clothes from a soup store|Negotiations reached between Illistrantian municipal government and local LGBT Center restricting Pride parades to people 18 and over|Prime Minister Herman Marshal highlights need to 'counter communism around every corner'

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Louisiana state-mandates rifles

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Mediama wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:Well, it'd be a signature of people drifting further apart. Can't have someone from another state owning the gun factories!

*Louisiana proceeds to use Labelle rifles.*

I’d wait to see what the OP says, smh
-Nuverkikstan

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:01 pm

I need the OP to clarify on CSA population, military size and international relations in Europe

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse