NATION

PASSWORD

Andromeda Burning (SciFi Char RP|IC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Aethienn

Much to Thanica's relief, Aethienn had been seated well away from Carter, although she did back up against Amlai whom she had tried to murder with an energy blade not so long ago. She didn't think the Doctor would try to pick a fight, but she wasn't entirely sure. And of course there was Kaleso, though he seemed to be ignoring her for now. All-in-all it was probably a good thing that Massi hadn't put out too much alcohol with the food.

For her own part, Aethienn ate mechanically, in stoical silence, without attempting to engage with any of the people around her; she had a job to do, she wasn't here to make friends. The food was good, Aethienn admitted to herself, better than the normal rations on a starship and it was pleasant to break from her normal, highly-controlled diet every now and then.

Rabaech and Tava

Tava, meanwhile, was trying her best to restrain her impulse to try to spike the 'Honeydew Boba Tea' on the table. Formal seating plans, limited alcohol... human culture, it seemed was quite restrained. The gorial cook looked remarkably young; odd for one of them to be out on their own at that age. She wondered how she was finding the food. From her time spent with her sister-species, they didn't usually eat large portions of animal protein, with digestive systems better suited to plant matter. She tried to spy to see if Massi was eating the steak, without making it too obvious, though she gave up after a moment. At least the salad would appeal to gorialax sensibilities with all the little invertebrates scattered in it...

She paused, smirking slightly as she glance across at Carter and one of the other humans. She couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but she gathered it had something to do with the invertebrates. Human food with a touch of gorialax fusion! "Hey Rabaech," she said conversationally, "You did the hiring, aye?"

"Yes," the Chief Engineer confirmed.

"Where did you find that gorialax chef?" she asked casually. As she did she produced a shaker from one of her pockets, shaking out a dusting of bright blue powder on the steak.

"On the station," he replied, blinking at her from behind his glasses as if it were a particularly odd question, "Why?"

"No reason," Tava shrugged, "Just good to see another Fed onboard." A very young, gorial separated from the herd. There would be a story there, though she kept her thought to herself, turning instead to the two Tzath seated near her, "So what do you guys do on the ship?" she asked.

Thanica Vari

Thanica had been eating the food with no particular concern on her part. It was a lot better than the processed rations she was used to, though she did find the whole invertebrates a little unusual. She didn't plan to say anything in case it offended either the chef or one of the human members of the crew, but then Carter and Yevgeny started joking about it and she relaxed, a slight smile playing across her face.

Arengin Union wrote:With a blissful face Carter took a few seconds to think about the fact he was biting down on crickets with his lettuce, “That’s something I never thought I’d want,” He spoke openly, “insects in my food!” He chuckled once more. It was rather ironic as crickets was the last thing his farmer dad would’ve wanted on the crops back home.

"I was just going to ask if you normally eat invertebrates on earth," she bit her lip to avoid laughing, "I was going to say that we normally make an effort to stop them infesting the food stores but if you have a preference, I can stop trying to control them."

Arengin Union wrote:After a while it was not turn for the steaks, being the gentleman he was, Carter didn’t hesitate to bring on the food for him and his misses. He set one plate in front of Thanica and then another one in his own part, sitting down he looked at her with thoughtful eyes. Hope she likes it… he thought, all the while he gave her a reassuring smile as he himself cut off a piece of his own steak, savouring the succulent taste of the meat with the sauce and onions.

“Uhmmm” It felt like centuries since he had tasted something this good, gently setting his hand onto Thanica’s Carter looked at her with a carefree expression.

“Once we’re settled back home, I’ll make us a cook out every damn month, maybe even every weekend”, snickering Carter took a sip of coke from his glass, then looking over to all of those sitting down, “And you all are invited!”

Carter then went and got her main course, which contained even more invertebrates. They tasted quite pleasant, and while they looked odd, it was all part of the fun of eating real food rather than military rations. Getting to regularly eat food that hadn't been processed into a long shelf-life, flavourless, utilitarian block was quite a new and exciting experience for the dhasath. It wasn't the cicadas though that made her pause. It was what Carter had just said: 'once we're settled'. He had said it so casually, like it wasn't the most precious thing in the world. She suspected he didn't understand. How could he without walking a lifetime as a dhasath? It seemed like an impossible dream to be able to stop running with someone she cared about by her side... but when Carter had hung up his heroing boots, maybe she could have that?

She leaned across and kissed him on the cheek, "I think I'd like that," she said, keeping her tone light and playful to avoid betraying her thoughts, "Though you'll need to either convince the Earth authorities I'm not trying to infiltrate the Government and covertly conquer earth if you want to make that a reality."

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sat May 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Sinon of Naechan Kamell Zon

Taking a glass he poured a bit of this 'aperitif' he tasted it, sour and sweet at the same time, definitely alcoholic, with a hint of some fruit, it smelled like citrus, and alcohol of course, the color of orange, he wondered for a second how it was called before moving on, he then took to the buffet and took one steak and two spoonfuls of salad onto his plate, and at last, he was at the table.

Taking a quick bite out of one of the cicadas he noted they didn't taste strongly, the various leaves would also be tasteless if not for the vegetables and sauce used on them, the steak, tasted like meat, roasted meat to be precise, thankfully the chef was skilled at his job and thus the food tasted well.

He, noting that others seemed to engage in a conversation willfully not wanting to stick out and thus cause suspicion onto himself decided that he too will need to pick someone to have a conversation with, briefly, one of the humans shouted
Compliments to the Chef - This is great!
, however, the human seemed to be holding a conversation right now, with a Jokari, at the head of their table was a Ragon, who could not be a conversation partner as well as it would require shouting across the table, the same has gone for the Kay-Si, and the Magthur, as well as one of the Kiel's, the only individuals with whom he may hold a conversation could be the two Tz'ath's beside him, and the two Kiels before him, why did it need to be Kiels.

He decided to start a conversation with the female Kiel that was sitting in front of him, a bit to the right ( Mothlua ), "So- would you happen to know how the Defiance managed to defeat Dolen Mathor?" He asked, as he was legitimately curious, the last reports he received before going rogue, were, not very extensive about the topic, beside, such a topic seemed only appropriate as it was the Defiance's grandest victory in which the Gollar Confederacy supported the crew, he figured since he was supposed to be a Gollar he might have heard some of it, and there was always the bonus side of it not being a personal topic, in which his secret identity could be accidentally demasked.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

The Imarian Monarchy
Attaché

Founded: Jan 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imarian Monarchy » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Vesia Ianzunia

After getting up from her seat to looking down at the various dishes spread out upon the serving table by her gracious hosts and new employers, she put a little of everything on a single plate to form a mini-sampler of sorts starting with a sip of the drink placed in front of her. Sipping the drink it reminded her of a dinner wine

Going to the salad next, to her it looked like a standard salad she tried to line up a little bit of everything on a fork, slowly working her way through the greens. She could see the difference between the two leafy greens, and when she got to tasting them, one had a weaker tease allowing her to take in the flavors from the sauce on the salads, the other had less crunch but a more distinct taste. After the two leaves, she came to the fruit. The green-skinned one with a semi-clear center, taking a bit out of it, the skin was bitter followed by a somewhat sweet center. The Red one lacked the flavor distinction between the skin and the center. It had an acid center the blurred with the sauce paired with the salad. The only thing left the crickets, rather than fiddling with a fork, she resorted to trying the crickets. Then later the cicadas when she got to them as finger treats, the two both provided the familiar crunch to the arthropods she had eaten before.

Moving her way to the steak with the onions and beans. Trying the steak on its own first, she saw some juice squeeze out while cutting it, on that sight, she knew that this was going to be a good meal, the steak meat was different from the meats Vesia had, having grown up on an ocean world, there was plenty of fish but not a lot of dense meats. However, she enjoyed the taste of the meat. Moving to the accompanying parts of the entree. The green bean and onions, while good, wasn't something Vesia would get another of her minuscule helping of. Overall she found the entree enjoyable.

Finally, she grabbed her spoon, dipping it in the orange-colored soup base and sipping the base there was the familiar flavor of shellfish, but on she never had before. After moving her spoon to isolate a few of the yellow kernels floating in the base, after putting them in her mouth she bit though the corn taking note of the crunch and the sweetness. Fishing out a piece of meat from the bowl, she took a bite of the strand of meat, to her it was just a standard shellfish all things considered. However, if she had to pick out of the dishes on offer, the soup would be her favorites dish. Because it gave her a nice reminder of home and she would get multiple helpings throughout the nigh.
Last edited by The Imarian Monarchy on Tue May 05, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 am

Yev, Defiance Mess Hall

Arengin Union wrote:“That’s something I never thought I’d want,” He spoke openly, “insects in my food!” He chuckled once more.

Yev smiled as Carter spoke up. Before he could respond, Thanica spoke up.

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Thanica Vari
"I was just going to ask if you normally eat invertebrates on earth," she bit her lip to avoid laughing, "I was going to say that we normally make an effort to stop them infesting the food stores but if you have a preference, I can stop trying to control them."

"Some people, especially in the less developed countries, do often eat insects. But in more developed ones, its very unusual." he responded, before taking another bite, and then continuing. "Most humans from my country, or Carter's country, would revolt at the idea of this meal, simply because of the insects. Fortunately for our new chef's feelings, it seems as if neither of us are particularly picky."
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

New Udonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Udonia » Sun May 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Characters: Vandul of Samlath

Vandul had been surprised at the effort put into the welcome party. He had been expecting a couple of drinks and maybe a gaming table, tops. Listening to the chef's directions carefully, he found his seat at the second table.

Once he had found his seat, he made his way toward the buffet. The first thing he noticed was the drink-machine, however, he was tiring of soft drinks. With a small bowl of salad and a plate of the main entree, he returned to his seat. Taking a sip of the Apéritif, he started on the soup. The main ingredient's texture was reminiscent of his family's farm, although there was a distinct difference in flavor. Cringing at the sight of the crickets and cicadas he took another sip of his drink. They just look bad, that's all.

Setting down his glass he turned toward the Ragon on his left. "Raoul, how have you been?" Sitting beside a live Ragon was something his younger self could never have imagined possible, not to mention engaging in small-talk with one. Then again, it wasn't a Ragon which killed his sister.

Characters: Mothlua of Vubhe

Sitting across from Anja was a welcome surprise. Her innocence always put Mothlua's anxiety at ease.
Grenartia wrote:Noticing the familiar face of Mothlua next to her, Phe decided to break her silence, after taking a sip of coke.
"Its good to see you back on board Mothlua. Do you have any plans to join Aethienn's sparring sessions?" she inquired.

"Whose?" Phoenix generously pointed her out down at the opposite end of their table. Mothlua's mind struggled to recall where she had heard that name before. Who was she?
What is she doing, she doesn't have a blaster? Wait-what? No!
Her skin on fire, she couldn't move, let alone cry.
"You people are sadly predictable... throw them out into the snow and let them freeze."
Freezing, numbness, blackness.
Burning.

Mothlua's silent reverie was broken by the Gollar sitting next to Anja.
Endem wrote:Sinon of Naechan Kamell Zon
He decided to start a conversation with the female Kiel that was sitting in front of him, a bit to the right ( Mothlua ), "So- would you happen to know how the Defiance managed to defeat Dolen Mathor?"

What? She slowly turned to look at her questioner, before glancing down the table and back at him. In a voice that sounded like a cross between a whisper and a scream she replied. "We didn't." Glancing at Phoenix and 'Sinon', she tried to rise from her seat without drawing attention to herself. As luck would have it she knocked over her Boba tea, spilling it into Exo's territory. "Forgive me, I'm so sorry." She barely got out of the room before the tears invaded her face.
Last edited by New Udonia on Sun May 03, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLKJ
News: The New Udonian Weekly

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Sun May 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Sinon of NaechanKamell Zon

New Udonia wrote:
Endem wrote:Sinon of Naechan Kamell Zon
He decided to start a conversation with the female Kiel that was sitting in front of him, a bit to the right ( Mothlua ), "So- would you happen to know how the Defiance managed to defeat Dolen Mathor?"

What? She slowly turned to look at her questioner, before glancing down the table and back at him. In a voice that sounded like a cross between a whisper and a scream she replied. "We didn't." Glancing at Phoenix and 'Sinon', she tried to rise from her seat without drawing attention to herself. As luck would have it she knocked over her Boba tea, spilling it into Exo's territory. "Forgive me, I'm so sorry." She barely got out of the room before the tears invaded her face.

He sat there, dumbfounded, wondering, how did such a simple question cause such a strong emotional reaction, for a second he blankly stared at the Kiel before him, whose part of the table, and presumably his attire was now drenched in the tea, he then looked at the rest of the people seated at the table.

"What has happened" he quietly muttered to himself before he got up from his seat and exited the mess hall trying to find the person he just asked a question, but as luck would have it he did not find her, at last, he shouted "I'm sorry for my question" into the dark corridor before turning back and walking towards the mess hall once again.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Kylantha
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Mon May 04, 2020 1:20 am

The Defiance Tz'aths

Anja waits for a reply from Thanica and Massi, and gets a smile from Carter as he arrives. She rubs her paws together nervously. She continues to wait, beginning to get a bit nervous. Where were the other Tz'aths? More people were coming and her instincts were screaming at her to run and hide. When Nicht approached, looming over her, she hissed at him and darted under the shade of a nearby table. Now agitated, she growled loudly until the Mercija left her be. Once the metallic creature had gone, Anja settled down. "Ugh! Where are they?!" she growled through her teeth in annoyance.

The other Tz'aths are on their way to the dining hall. Khuzme has Sho'chavuk by the ear, and Pel'churul walks a distance behind them, stifling his amusement. Narkhi'zesh looks uptight as usual, and Uht'las continues fawning over the larger Tz'ath. All five reach the mess before Ealamassi stands up to speak. Anja runs over to meet them, looking a little bit put off and disappointed that she wasn't able to help out with the food. Maybe she was too small.. Or too furry..

Before the dinner begins, Khuzme gathers the others and briefs them on what to do. Having been invited to many formal events back when she was a Skyblade, she had an idea of how to conduct herself. She gave them a few points on what to do, with Sho'chavuk getting the most piercing glances for emphasis. It seemed to sink in for him, which was okay for Khuzme, and she dismissed them as Massi gave her speech and directed everyone to their respective places.

The Tz'aths looked all kinds of amazed as the meals were wheeled out, especially Sho'chavuk who stood on his chair to watch them as they were carted by. He licked his lips, picking and choosing in his mind what he wanted to try first. Khuzme grumbled to herself at his reaction, but otherwise said nothing. She was a bit uncomfortable with her placement, which was near a large humanoid creature with a segmented body, a floating mass of tentacles, and directly adjacent to her, another Dhasath of all things.. She did her best to keep her gaze away so as not to get caught up in staring. The scents however, were somewhat troubling for her. There's nothing worse than being within claw's length of prey and not being able to feed. she lamented to herself, grinding her teeth. She wondered how Sho'chavuk could restrain himself so well around such tantalising smells. At the moment, he appeared much more interested in the feast.

"Oh, oh, oh!" Sho jumped up and down on his chair, licking his chops as he stretched his neck over the others to see all the food. "How exciting!" He seemed somewhat oblivious to Caille, but the scent that the Dhasath gave off was certainly unmistakable. Gods, another one.

As the bisque was poured into his bowl he dropped down to its level, slamming his jaw on the table. His nose wiggled, just on the edge of the bowl. As the scent of it wafted into his snout he let out a low growl of ecstasy. He was just about to dip his tongue into it before everyone else, but froze in the act. He could feel Khuzme staring daggers at him from across the table, so he quickly took to a more presentable posture, shaking from apparent hunger. He moved only when Nicht addressed him.

"Ah, yes." he turned his head slightly, nose twitching. "My, this looks like such exquisite metal! I wonder how it tastes!" he reaches out to touch the metal, only to notice Khuzme again, she looked far more agitated now. Sho gulped and his paw retracted, watching only as the diminutive creature appeared from the metallic shell. "O-oh! A morsel!" he said with shock, trying his best not to swat it out of the air and swallow it. Thankfully, it was time for everyone to eat, and Sho'chavuk narrowed his mind once more, focusing on the food. Within seconds, the bisque was gone.

"Delicious! I must have more!" he said loudly, jumping off the table with the bowl in hand. He then proceeded to walk up to Olorisa, holding the bowl up to her face. "Please, Madam. More!"

Khuzme took a spoonful of the bisque and agreed with Sho, disregarding his reaction for now. "This is.. Remarkable." she drew her hand up to her mouth, looking somewhat surprised. It seemed similar in taste to a dish popular with her tribe. She then wasted no time in trying all the other foods, getting just enough that she didn't look like a glutton.

Pel'churul on the other hand, seemed especially interested in the boba tea. He enjoyed the texture of the gummies within and savored each one. He ate it along with everything else, of which he took several samples in transparent dishes. Every now and then he'd take a cursory glance at Rabaech and Yare, then at Tava and Amlai, seeming a little bit paranoid. "Don't mind me folks. Heh." he just said, stowing the dishes away in a small box.

Uht'las ate slowly and quietly, trying to be as invisible as possible. In the corner of his eye he noticed Karesan and listened in as the avian spoke to Saessa. Saessa was a Kiel woman whom Uht'las had seen before. She looked distressed, he noted as he nibbled on some croutons and licked the vinaigrette clean off his plate. Uht'las turned his head to the left, almost over his shoulder as he looked at Narkhi'zesh who was ingesting large amounts of the soda.

The Hurk laughed haughtily as he downed another cup of the Coke. He had been to the drink machine several times now, especially enjoying the feeling that the soda gave as it flowed down his throat. "Sweet, but spicy, is it not?" he'd said to Novo while shoveling handfuls of Massi's feast into his large maw.

It seemed he became a lot more talkative when he was enjoying himself, Anja observed. She was just happy to be near at least one of her fellow Tz'aths. Whenever she went to the buffet (which was often) the little Tz'ath tugged on Narkhi'zesh's tail so he could lift her up onto the buffet table as she chose what she wanted. Of all the Tz'aths, she took the smallest portions, much to Narkhi'zesh's amusement. He suggested to her that she take much so that she wouldn't have to go back and forth (and divert him from his meal). Nonetheless, he seemed happy to help her out.

Anja was at least comfortable with Mothlua sitting adjacent to her. The one strange fellow was in between her and Narkhi'zesh however, making her inch toward the end of her seat. There was some conversation she didn't quite pick up on and wasn't too invested in as it wasn't her business. She was just about to put one of the cicadas in her mouth when Mothlua got up from her chair and left the hall.

"Huh..?"

The little pink Tz'ath jumped off her chair, and Narkhi'zhesh immediately noticed. With a twitch of her one good antenna, she was able to tell the larger Tz'ath her intentions, and he grunted softly as if to say "go ahead". Before chasing after Mothlua however, Anja took her full plate with her. She avoided Kamell and walked through the halls for a few minutes. She'd gotten a whole pile of the insects, which she crunched on. It made it harder to focus on finding the Kiel's scent. But she decided to pause and remember hard what Sho had taught her. Seeing the smells and following their trail. Eventually, she found Mothlua.

Unable to speak, Anja refrained from crunching down on another one of the bugs. She just stepped inside quietly and sat down nearby. She just didn't know what to say..! But she needed to get her attention. So she lifted the plate as high as she could and shook it slightly so that the crunchy insects made noise. When Mothlua noticed, Anja spoke softly, and with some fear in her voice. "Y-you should.. You should eat, you know.."
Last edited by Kylantha on Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019

Postby Europa Undivided » Mon May 04, 2020 4:32 am

Friends?

Co-written by Europa Undivided, Dragos Bee, Khasinkhonia, and Harbertia

“Massi, my name’s Massi,” Massi said in response to Alex’s previous question with a slightly incredulous expression, considering she’d already introduced herself in front of everyone.

“Thanks though.”

Alexander answered to Massi, "Sorry for being inattentive, by the way - There's just so much to focus on, you see..."

"Alright...", Kaleso said to Alexander as the latter finally greeted Massi in a proper form. The Jokari had already finished most of his soup, and was already chomping on some green leaves. "So, where on Earth are you from? What is it like? The people?"

Alexander said, "Well, I'm from the Russian Federation, which despite its name is a dictatorship hiding behind democratic norms. As for the people of Earth, well, the people vary with each country and geographical region, with literally hundreds of ethnic and cultural groups. In Russia, people are... Let's just say they are easily-taken in by promises of nationalistic gains and cultural populism which the current regime uses to cover the increasing poverty and decreasing lifespans of the people."

Sshalah looked down at Alexander who was seated next to her just for a moment before getting back to her food.
"Sounds very familiar...", Kaleso muttered lowly. "Humans seem to be a very divided species... but we Jokarun were divided as well at one point."

He gulped some Boba tea before looking back at Alexander. "Your turn, friend."Alexander nods and says, "What are the 'hard limits' on psychic Jokari sorcery?"

"To be frank, much of our knowledge has been lost in the fall of our Republic to the Ragon Empire.", Kaleso confided, glancing a tiny bit towards Sshalah. "We do not know our limits, but we can only grow so powerful before edging towards insanity and death. Our powers are varied, with some of us wielding lightning while others draw upon the flames of hell. Only a few of our race, however, ever develop the psychic progeny needed to be Sorcerer."

Kaleso then glanced towards Sshalah, marking her for Alexander. "Don't worry about her, by the way. She's quite... friendly. The Commander owes her a bit."

The Jokari looked back at the young Russian, curious. He took his fork and stabbed it into a piece of steak before biting off half of it. "Tell me more about yourself. Your family, life, perhaps, if you don't mind. I may tell you about mine own past if you do. A fair exchange, it will be."

Another nod at that and Alexander says, "My family were middle-class dissidents against the state, and I and my sister discovered that we were of an... atypical sexual orientation. Those reasons led to the disappearance of my sister and the suicide of my parents and I embarked on a quest for revenge for a while, succeeding in embrassing the Russian regime."

A pause. "Then I was imprisoned, I had... Experiences in prison which do not bear repeating, and then my jailers offered me a chance to go here instead of dying."

Sshalah took a breath, looking down at her plate before looking over to Alexander. She swallowed before speaking in an ill mood, "Why did they send you to Andromeda?"

Alexander turned to Sshalah and replied, "To die later after making myself useful to Humanity. I'm sorry if that is curt, but anything more would spark unecessary suspicion."

Sshalah's pupils narrowed before she looked away and returned to her meal in a civilized manner. Though she couldn't actually keep herself from pressing, the situation he described was too close to what she argued with Raoul over; "So you're being discarded?"

A nod, before Alexander said with a frown which made him look grumpy, "Affirmative."

Sshalah picked up a steak and looked at it with a huff like sigh; "And your various groups all fight each other with in the federation?"

Massi took the opportunity to butt in at this point, and shook her head.

“Earth’s a little backwater in an interesting position. The Federation is the main power in the Milky Way. We don’t really have the same network of enemies that Andromeda has.”

Sshalah set the steak down, "I suppose." she said taking in a breath. Sshalah looked down over towards the pale Dhasathoid being who had butted in; "I can't really compare our situation to your own or theres."

“This must be the only ship with this many humans though, huh. How do you feel about that?” Massi asked Alex.

Alex smiled at Massi and said, "It feels comfortable - An island of familiarity in an otherwise unfamiliar place."

“What’s the point of going hundred of light years away from home just to be familiar with things?” she responded, “You can have familiar anywhere.”

Sshalah frowned, "There really is no place like home though."

Massi shrugged. “To each their own. I figured I wasn’t gonna sit on a frozen rock for decades in the herd nursery.”

Sshalah tilted her head with concern as she looked down at the diminutive Massi; "Your people are reared as cattle?"

Massi shook her head, and clarified, “We live in herds. We call them families, but for clarity’s sake, I said herd because they’re really big. On Teguken, my homeworld. We all lived in one big house, all...must be at least 200 of us. I never could keep track. We evolved from grazers, you see.”

Alexander twitches, then says to Massi, "Not to offend anyone here, but I also just found out that the Ragon, Sshalah's species, have a history of eating sapient beings - This includes trapping them in large collective farms to be bred, 'domesticated', and then eaten alive. They also hold half of the Andromeda Galaxy and have reduced dozens of sapient species into cattle/livestock."

The implication was: The Gorialax are a perfect prey species for the Ragon.

Sshalah lowered and raised her head affirmatively speaking in a calm matter of fact way; "It's true, I worked as a breeding supervisor on my homeworld. I worked with marine mammals though non where sentient." She turned to Massi, "I would have assumed the Human would have known and you informed. The commander did give a speech vouching for my character."

Massi sighed and looked between the two of them with her mouth slightly agape, her top incisors grazing bottom lip. She half shook her head with an awkward expression and then looked down at her food for a moment.

“I’m gonna refrain from commenting. Not my galaxy after all...”

Sshalah was frowning now, she even while seated still towered over most of those present. "If, it helps I'm not going to be eating anyone." she said sadly running a claw against the steak though not with enough force to cut into it. It was like a child fiddling with food.

"I did tell him not to worry about you.", Kaleso commented from the side as he let out a small spark of electricity unto his remaining soup to heat it up a little more.

"I appreciate that Kaleso. It was my fault for inquiring aggressively about his past."

“Do you have utensils?” Massi asked, “If not, I’m sure there are some on the market that are big enough for you. Or maybe something from the kitchen could work. Is that enough steak though? I tried to cook a big portion because I heard you guys need a good bit of food.”

Sshalah turned to Massi with a toothy grin and chuckle, "I prefer to eat with my hands. I do have utensils, and the steak is good. We eat one large meal a week equating to 65 or 80 kilograms. I'm sure this will satisfy and if not I can always snack. I can't say I'm up for the soup though. I can try it once I figure out how to consume it. I've devised a few solutions, drinking it as I do Raz'lak but through a bowl or tilting my head back and letting it flow down."

"Apologies for my discourtesy as well," Alexander said. "That said, mind if I ask something with all of you?"

A pause, "Basically, which nations favor automation most, if at all?"

"It's difficult to say...", Kaleso responded. "We all use robots for different things, but if we base 'favouring' on robots per person, it may possibly be us. In the Jokar Undivided, there are a hundred drones for every one of us, all of which perform duties ranging from cleaning the windows, picking up litter, to assembling our ships and weapons. Basically... they do all the hard work for us."

Massi chimed in again, and added, "Really, ranking nations objectively is kind of a waste of time, because there are so many little details to get muddled in."

Kaleso nodded. "If we tried to rank them one by one, we would last until Judgement Day comes and the angel trumpets blow."

"That's kinda morbid but okay, yeah," Massi commented.

"Indeed," Alexander said before nodding. He then waited for Kaleso's next question.

Kaleso sipped at the soup, visibly tingling with pleasure from the taste. "So, yes. About myself, then.", he said as he turned to Alexander. He hadn't really given the Kiel directly in front of him much attention; not when she didn't really make a good first impression. "I was born in the mining world of Madnilia. It was a barren rock of ice and snow; we terraformed it to turn the planet into a paradise. My brethren and I lived under the shadow of the great orbital towers that stretched far unto the upper atmosphere. We were at peace."

The Jokari sighed lowly, drinking another gulp of Boba tea before continuing. "But the days of peace would not last. As we frolicked on the soft grass and flew above the great forests, the Empire came for our flesh. Most of us would not live to see another day after that accursed hour. Of my family, only my sister and cousin were able to escape along with my good self. We few would live on, vengeance and angercoursing through our veins as we saw our Republic that had lasted a million years die with a whimper."

A pause. "That was 250 solar cycles ago. I had quite a lot of time to contemplate on things."

He looked at Alexander, sipping off the tea with a wink from his purple eyes. "And I became a Corsair after using forbidden magicks. A hundred cycles passed before I was captured by the Command... and then, I was freed.", he said as he glanced towards Thanica. "You know who I speak of." Alexander nods at that and says, "I'd ask you about the Dhasath, but that'd break the sequence of question and answer, right?"

The Jokari nodded. "It's completely fine. That should be the last, though."

Another respectful nod.

"They are a dying race. Even more so than us."

Kaleso glanced at all of the Dhasaths in the hall before looking back at Alexander. "They are running out of time."

Alexander nods at that and says, "A sad fate indeed. I hope the same thing does not befall Earth."

"Indeed.", Kaleso nodded. "Indeed so, my friend."
Last edited by Europa Undivided on Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

New Udonia
Envoy

Postby New Udonia » Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 am

Why is she here, do they know? Her thoughts were scrambled by the time she had reached her room. How could, she, they?
Normally she would have sealed the door behind her, but that didn't register in her mind as a priority at the moment. Taking a seat at the edge of her bed, she looked at both of her arms, one by one. She was sobbing now, her face in her arms, one of them extremely cold. The cold, the burning, the pain, Rodu, Relenar, mom, dad, why, why, why!
Kylantha wrote:Unable to speak, Anja refrained from crunching down on another one of the bugs. She just stepped inside quietly and sat down nearby. She just didn't know what to say..! But she needed to get her attention. So she lifted the plate as high as she could and shook it slightly so that the crunchy insects made noise. When Mothlua noticed, Anja spoke softly, and with some fear in her voice. "Y-you should.. You should eat, you know.."

Swallowing back the tears, Mothlua's blurry vision searched for the source of the voice. She started half-crying, half-laughing at the gesture, ending in several broken coughs.
"You're right, th-thanks." Slowly reaching her artificial arm towards the plate, she eventually grasped a fistful of the salad. She sat there staring at the food for several seconds before beginning to pick at it with her organic arm. "Thank-you, Anja, you should rejoin the party, I'll be alright now." I thought I was over this, is it because she's with us, why?

"Anja, how mad is the Kiel who was sitting on my right, I don't want to lose another arm."
Her smile desperately tried to prove the levity of her comment, but the rest of her face betrayed her.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLKJ

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 pm

A Dance of the Cosmos
Co-written by Dyelli Beybi and Arengin Union

"Some people, especially in the less developed countries, do often eat insects. But in more developed ones, its very unusual." he responded, before taking another bite, and then continuing. "Most humans from my country, or Carter's country, would revolt at the idea of this meal, simply because of the insects. Fortunately for our new chef's feelings, it seems as if neither of us are particularly picky."

Nodding in agreement to the Ruskie's remark, Carter spoke up after finishing off a piece of steak, "As a matter of fact I used to fly a plane that would swoop up in the sky and throw gas to get rid of these little buggers," Carter said proud chested, though it was not a very grand accomplishment to him it reminded him of how he got his passion and wish to fly. If it wasn't for flying that biplane back at his daddy's farm he would not have been where he was now, for better or worse was something by far he had yet to see.

While the eating the main coarse it went over Carter's head just how what he had just said made Thanica fall in pause, almost jump in surprise. For Carter the idea of settling down with her, in a farm with a big open field and a bunch of children was something simple and attainable. Nothing was out of their reach as far as he was concerned and though right now they were just about to head back into Andromeda to face who knows what he was sure that dream was close, of course for Thanica it was a near impossible thought but perhaps not anymore.

What the little Dhasaht female did next took the Earthling from Indiana by quite a pleasant surprise.

She leaned across and kissed him on the cheek, "I think I'd like that," she said, keeping her tone light and playful to avoid betraying her thoughts, "Though you'll need to either convince the Earth authorities I'm not trying to infiltrate the Government and covertly conquer earth if you want to make that a reality."

Carter smiled, looking at Thanica with a lovestruck glance that no other being would get besides her he smiled. "Well not to worry darling, I'm certain that God and fate are smiling down upon us." He held tightly to her hand, expressing his dedication to her without saying a word.

"If recent history is anything to go by, I don't either of them are all that keen on dhasath," Thanica answered wryly, lacing her fingers through Carter's, all thoughts of the meal forgotten for a moment, "I am so very, very lucky," she said, letting her normal playful demeanour slip for just a moment, though it quickly resurfaced along with a bright smile, "So because I don't trust fate to look after me, and it never hurts to be prepared for the worst, I'm going to make sure I watch your back over the next few months."

Those first words made Carter think, the Dhasath's standing in Andromeda was still something that was difficult for him to comprehend. How a people could be repeatedly kicked down to the point of not even being a unified nation but more so a series of split conclaves trying to do their best to survive. Perhaps it was not something Earth was unfamiliar to at all, if Thanica were to learn about Earth's history in a more indepth nature she would undoubtedly find much to compare with her own people's struggles.

"Well I'll make sure to be careful, and watch over you as well..." Carter answered with a similar playful tone to the Dhasath's remark. Still his mind was riddled with much thought, especially after hearing her short words of her being lucky. Hopefully Earth would change its views on the Dhasaths, they were not infiltrators, they were people. People just like him and them, it made him ashamed that his own kind would look down upon people who were practically identical to Earthlings.

Looking around himself, both of them already finished with their meals Carter had a sudden thought, "Hey..." He looked down onto Thanica, "You wanna dance?"

Thanica twisted in her seat, laying her hands on Carter's shoulders, "Yes... give me a couple of glasses of raz'lak and try to stop me," she grinned, before giving a glance in the direction of the Russian doctor on her other side. She pursed her lips, "Wait, is this one of your formal human dances? I've seen those on some of your 'television shows'."

Carter chuckled, taking one last sip from his coca cola glass. "Well you can call it 'formal' but its more like a... cowboy dance of sorts." With that Carter rose from his seat, taking hold of the Dhasaths hand and carrying her up.

"Come I'll show you," Carter walked over to a clearing within the mess hall. "Olorisa, play some John Denver please, will ya?"

"Cowboy? Oh like those old films!" Thanica raised an eyebrow, though she was smiling brightly and she did nothing to resist Carter's pull to the dance floor. Carter seemed light and joyful, like he didn't have a care in the world at the moment and Thanica wanted to share the joy with him.

At that moment the song requested by Carter began to play through the speakers around the Mess Hall. Carter took the initiative as he took hold of Thanica by the wait with his left hand and then her right hand. He tipped his boots with the rhythm of John Denvers words as he looked at her with suave eyes.

"Alright my lady, just follow my steps... first we go slow!" He guided her steps, using his hands to guide her as the pair began to move from side to side along the spunds of violin. Then it was a quick round move, this time picking up the pace as the couple danced around the tables.

"You got this, now follow the guide of my hand!" The Indiana country boy said with a smile as he the pair then swirled around the mess hall to the music.

Looking over to the others with a pause Carteth gave a smile, still confidently guiding the Female Dhasath with his moves, moving his feet slow and then stepping up the pace. "Come on everybody, its fun!"

For her part, Thanica pressed close to Carter, her eyes locked on his, following his steps with care and precision. Thanica was a graceful creature, quick and lithe, which wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who had seen her produce one of the knives she inevitably had hidden about her person, and she followed Carter's lead with only a few momentary stumbles.

What was also unmistakable to anyone who took half a moment to study the way she looked up at Carter, was that Thanica cared very deeply for her Captain. For the Dhasath on the crew, to see another of their kind so unguarded around an alien, especially with Ragons in the room, was unusual to say the least.

All the while Carter remained concentrated both on his partner and on his everymove. Careful not to go too fast or too slow as the music kept playing the Captain and Commander danced off with such a nature to any casual reunion on Earth that it made Carter squirmed at the thought as he kept her close.

The song began to die down and so did the fast moves of square dancing. Carter and Thanica continued to move at the beat of the music but this time slower, he had not taken his look away from her.

Finally the sing ended, the sound of John Denver's fiddle ending with a nice ever lasting tune. Carter and Thanica ended their dance with a quick step, moving forward aa Carter then carried her back down and back up to his chest. The music endes at that moment and whatever other tune that came didnt matter to either of them. Hopefully others would join in on the fun.
Last edited by Arengin Union on Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Tue May 05, 2020 5:03 am

Dance?!

"Well, would you look at that!", Karesan beamed as Carter and Thanica began dancing right in front of everyone present. He was regal yet simple in his garb and his eyes now an iridescent blue to indicate a good shift in mood. "Ah, Saessa of Anac,", Karesan jested as he leaned slightly forward towards the Kiellar woman. "Don't be of such a sour mood at these times!"

Nicht was already swaying to the rhythm even as he floated above his plate. "My people were created as weapons, but never did I imagine that this thing called... what was it... ah, music, would be such a bringer of joy to our minds."

The octopid would proceed to take a swig of raz'lak before continuing to sway midair. "Aaaaaaaah! Sho, was it? Care to..."

He never finished, as he fell right back into his suit. Perhaps no one knew it at the time, but the Mercija were extremely susceptible to drunkenness. Either way...

Yare only watched as Carter danced Thanica to the cowboy tune, nodding her head to the beat. The dragon was in no way good for dancing; if she ever tried anything, she may end up knocking a few things (or people) out of the way, and that wouldn't bode well.

"Bravo, bravo.", she cheered while trying not to flap her wings out of fear of blowing people's cups over. "I am recording this!"

Kaleso sipped at his tea again as he watched the captain dance with Thanica on the dance floor. "I always knew that Nate was head over heels for Thanica, but I had no idea that he danced well until now.", he whispered to Alexander. "I've been told that the dances of your country of birth are... unique, to say the least."
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Wed May 06, 2020 6:15 pm

Novo Vohru Andai

Novo was enjoying himself and taking his time with his meal. This human food tasted good and he took another spoonful of his bisque. Grinning happily, as the combined taste of corn and crab graced his tongue. Then take a bite out of his steak. Novo was glad was that this dinner was happening. Nice time to unwind and enjoy some human cuisine. They better bring some of this with them when they finally departed from the station.

As Novo was about to take another bite out of his steak. He was surprised when Narkhi'zesh spoke to him about the coca-cola. Turning his head to find that the Tz'aths was shoveling food into his mouth. "Uhh, I have tried the Cola yet Narkhi'zesh and now that you say it, I think I will try it now". Turning back to his own meal, and looked the at full glass of cola near the empty glass of boba tea. He had tried the honeydew boba tea. It was good though it had weird aftertaste for him. Let see if it is spicey, Novo thought before taking a long sip of the cola. Putting his down and grinned as the cola passed through his mouth and into his throat. It tasted somewhat spicy and it felt weird in his mouth. Maybe it is something you get used to like Roc Qop. He was not going to try the apéritif since it is alcoholic and Novo felt he had enough after drinking some with Carter earlier.

This was when Novo started to look around the table at people. To see how they were enjoying their food. Most at his table seem content or happily eating their meals. There was a discussion going on to the left of him but, he did not feel the need to interrupt and spotted out of the corner of his eye a pair dancing. Focusing his metal eyes on the pair and found that it was Carter and Thanica dancing to the beat of some human song. Hmmm, dancing, that is something that might be fun though he doubts that he could fun someone to dance with. At those two are having fun and he just focused on finishing his meal.
Last edited by Theyra on Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Thu May 07, 2020 7:33 am

Dr. Saesa of Anac
The Defiance

Saesa had only just returned to the ship when they were summoned for some kind of dinner. Still wearing the cloak that she had used in an attempt to mask her identity, the kiel had nevertheless removed the hood from her head. She remained silent even as a general hum of cordial conversation began to pick up among the crew, her own thoughts still lingering on the shock that she had received earlier in the day. Now that she thought about it, she recalled the Commander having told them earlier about her desire to have a proper send-off for the ship, as well as an excuse to officially welcome all the new crew. Saesa hadn’t paid those plans any mind, having been certain that she would’ve been long-since gone from the vessel by the time any new hires were onboard. And yet, here she still was: cooped up in a metal can surrounded by aliens and further from home than she had ever been back in Andromeda.

"So you're the one known as Saessa of Anac..." The words came from the Jokarii sitting next to her, the avian creature appearing jovial enough as it tried to strike up a conversation. "Tell me, is the food good for your taste?"

Saesa offered the pirate a muted grunt in response, grimacing as she idly prodded at the food on her plate. Even though Kaleso acted and spoke with an educated grace, she’d heard enough about his past to know that he’d been one of his kind’s corsairs: a band of ravagers and murderers who preyed upon poorly defended shipping and colonies, eschewing military targets in favour of the weak and vulnerable. If there was one thing that Saesa had learned from her time on the Defiance, it was that even those among them who looked to be the most civilized were still monstrous beneath the surface. As the chef explained the reasoning behind her culinary choices, Saesa’s frown only deepened. She felt a stab of jealousy as Masi said that she’d hoped to give the humans a final taste of home before their voyage, even though they’d been able to easily travel to-and-from their homeworld for the past few weeks. Saesa in contrast, had been trying just to be able to cross back into Command space all that time.

Sighing, Saesa ignored the conversation around her and began to dig into her meal. It tasted amazing, but the colourful flavours and distinct palette only reminded her of how much she longed for a proper meal from home. Hearing a commotion from the gathered crowd, the scientist blinked in surprise as she looked up from her plate for the first time in what must have been a good few minutes. Glancing around, she saw the crew grinning and cheering as the Captain and Commander stood in an open space in the mess and danced with one another.

"Well, would you look at that!" Kaleso declared, his deep voice booming across the table as he beamed at the sight. Nearly chuckling, he turned towards the grim-faced woman seated nearby. "Ah, Saessa of Anac, don't be of such a sour mood at these times!"

Saesa didn’t look towards the Jokari, instead her gaze lingered on the dancing pair as her mind drifted back to other dances, with different food, different people and different music. She remembered the high-ceiling balls that she would attend and the flowing dresses she would wear. The high-life of what was only a scarce few months ago felt like it might as well have been from another life entirely. Unwanted memories that left an aching sensation in her chest were pulled to the fore, along with the words of her cousin.

Suddenly, Saesa pushed herself to her feet. Her chair scraped along the solid flooring of the mess hall as she did so, although she paid the sound no mind as she picked up her glass and plate. “I’m going back to my room.” She stated bluntly in response to the Jokari, clearly frustrated at the whole dinner. “I have work to do, and this is all pointless anyway.” Once she’d gathered her food and dessert, the Kiel turned and quickly made her way towards the exit without another word.
Last edited by Bentus on Thu May 07, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Massi, Sshalah, Kaleso, and Alexander

Postby Harbertia » Thu May 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Sshalah had finished her soup earlier, even with the warming. Initially she had given up on having it but at some pint during Kaleso and Alexander's conversation and swarthed it down like Raz'lak which it was not- and she was looking rather down in mood. She looked down towards Massi opting to change the subject; "Did you like the soup?" She asked as one might after the pause that followed Alexander's words. The weight of the conversation not yet lifted. Massi nodded, and took the opportunity to swoon. "You know, it turned out better than I'd expected. Everything so far did. I haven't tried my steak, but I assume by the way you packed it away that it has your seal of approval?" Sshalah grinned, "It does. Given how far we are going from Earth I don't think we'll have this again for a while. I appreciate that you put this together." Massi cheerily replied; "Why thank you!" She put her hand over into Sshalah's personal space, and looked her in the eye with a pleasant smile. "You'll just have to give me some of your favourite Ragon dishes whenever we're around there; I'd love to make a little something for everyone at some point!"

Sshalah chuckled with a toothy grin of nervous disposition; "The offer is welcomed, though as men cook I don't have a lot of recipes to share. Dishes I like I can name and describe but I only know how to make simple meals."
"I'm sure we can look it up. There's gotta be a Ragon cookbook somewhere in the intranet. I take it you guys are big in Andromeda, so surely your culture must be fairly well-known?" Massi responded. Sshalah gave the best closed mouth smile she could towards the pale one; "They mostly know the recipes involving themselves." She chuckled as there was something rather relieving in saying that. "Well, I guess that'd be a bit of an issue. Well, if your medbay's anything like a Federation one, I guess they'd have stem cell growth modules, but I don't know if people would fancy eating themselves, so that's fair enough."

Massi had a bit of an awkward smile, like that of a person who wanted to laugh but they were at a funeral. Sshalah while still looking awkward allowed her self to laugh, "Well, not everything on the menu is sentient or was sentient." she was still vaguely aware of Kaleso being next to her, and after the discussion they had in the cargo bay wasn't sure if the Jokari would be able to stomach this discussion, "The Ragon situation is," she took a breath, "- well, before we get into that perhaps you can tell me about about the federation you are from. How did your people managed to resolve the struggle for resources among species? The competitiveness of nature, and if it's not been resolved how has the federation managed to make the conflict manageable enough for the species to cooperate?" Sshalah's galaxy was different, and thus the mere existence of the federation was alien to her. Where as Earth had science fiction regarding such, and Massi's people had achieved it- in Andromeda such seemed almost fanciful or overtly optimistic.

Massi sat back in her chair, and thought for a moment to formulate her response for someone so unfamiliar with her galaxy's politics, and then leaned onto the table. "We don't really have an idea of "competitiveness of nature," to be honest," she responded, "It's really just about everyone...getting what you need, you know? When the Gorialax population gets bigger, we have to open up some more hydroponics farms nearby. When Berdikons have a baby boom somewhere, folks have to figure out where to increase cobalt production. Everyone has a role to play, or, at least that's the Gorialax perspective. All this fighting wastes time and energy when you could just navigate around the issue. The only real struggle we've had is with groups that didn't understand that resources are abundant if you just look for them. We have a unified education standard across the Federation, but I'll admit that history isn't really as big of a focus as civics. Wars and all, they're just disputes because other people don't play the game. That's how we're taught, at least. In Gorialax history, basically, every time a conflict arises, someone older and more knowledgeable would sit both parties down, and ask each of them independently what they need, and then everybody would work together to differentiate between needs and wants. The chapter on War in my Intergalactic Civics textbook begins with "War is a state of violent conflict wherein military force must be used because another party has failed to differentiate between necessity and desire." Hopefully that sorta gives a perspective on where my folks give it from. Does that make sense, sis?" Sshalah sighed processing Massi's words; "That sounds really nice Massi."

"It can get kinda annoying. We're really communal, but I have a bit of a weird independent streak," Massi admitted in response, "Don't get me wrong, I really liked my brothers and sisters and moms and dads and grandmas and grandpas and great grandmas and great grandpas and, well, you get the idea, I know all of them by name, but I don't like taking care of kids. Not at all. They're cute, but I don't like dealing with their waste, or feeding them, or waking up to take care of them. Every new parent is supposed to do that, and I'm the weird one who doesn't see the appeal." Sshalah's inhale had a quiver to it as she frowned. "My family is also large or was large. I know how it is. I've really wanted children though in my culture most of the work is done by the men. I grew up as the youngest of fifteen before my little brother came along. I was attended to by my five fathers until the," she paused, "first Kiellar war. After that it was me, my younger siblings, and mother at home."

Massi nodded, and smiled a bit. "Big families are nice. I couldn't imagine only the men working though. Actually, I couldn't imagine anyone being idle. Everybody has a job in a Gorialax family. But you guys name wars? We just give them a designation." Sshalah tilted her head slightly to an angle as she replied; "Well, it use to be known as the 'Kiellar Conflict' before the current conflict. If it hadn't lasted so long it likely would have been called an incident. Naming it expresses the impact it's had, especially on my generation. As for labor, men are- dull? Woman among my kind are larger and as I've shown with my work on the ship we can do much but idle men are undesirable to have around. Men are combative belligerent things that needs to be occupied so we give them as much to do as possible."

Massi sat back in her chair, and then responded, "Oh, you guys have sexual dimorphism. That's interesting. A lot of species that look kinda like you have that too. I guess it spans across galaxies or something. My kind doesn't really have a ton of it. A little bit of specialisation, like men are usually a little taller and stronger, but otherwise, a male Gorial and a female Gorial are pretty close even under the hood. Except when...uh...y'know...happens, but for species that reproduce like that, it's bound to happen, right? Men used to sometimes do courtship, especially for stuff outside the family, but really even then it was more a matter of proving that they came from a good group of folks."

Sshalah smiled and righted her head, "We arrange our unions. Mother and I would find a prospective house to form kinship with and look over details regarding the prospective mate such as school scores, physical accomplishments, personality, interests- and then contact the matriarch of the other house with details on our men. The only exception I experienced is with my uncle who decided to offer up the son of a fallen comrade to me. We got along pretty well but I was captured before anything could be finalized as I did accept."

"Man, you guys really think a lot about those things. If it's in the family, we just sleep in the same bed for a little while and decide if the other is annoying before we bang," Massi replied with a slightly incredulous smile, "And we don't really do marriages outside of inter-familial stuff, and that's just to keep track of everyone." Sshalah chuckled; "Well we don't do marriage either, ever since the Materialist-Spiritualist Cold War it's all been Civil Unions in the Empire. Sure some spiritualist remain and have a ceremony but over all it's very legalistic."

"Oh, I mean like...legal unions or cultural or anything. We don't do that kinda deal. We just keep track of family names for bureaucratic purposes. Whenever people from different families intermarry, they'll fuse their surnames and then it'll get diluted one way or another if they don't break off and form their own family." Sshalah put a hand to the back of her head, "How do you maintain social order without-," she sighed, "I don't think I can understand this. I'm trying but when I imagine such a thing in Ragon space I simply see chaos and that doesn't set well with me."

"Thats just how our individual species work.", Kaleso commented from the sideline. "As for us Jokarun, we marry for only one thing: for love. And a family, of course!"

"We don't do marriage though," Massi corrected, "The only important unit is the family. Everyone has a family that they live with. Almost everybody, that is. Everybody has a little identification card with their unique signature and a family signature, and then locality, planet, sector, and so on." Sshalah shook her head, "I don't know how your kind manage it." she said, "The shear amount of burr- rr- bur-" she struggled, "Bureaucracy is staggering, is there an entire world dedicated to bureaus?"

Alexander interjects, "I think it's biological - We humans can only manage to count 150 individuals as 'close kin' due to how our brains are wired, while the Gorialax apparently can manage more than that. We humans can gather into larger political units by creating a larger in-group based on culture, ethnicity, and yes, Religion. And despite Materialists seeing the latter as an obstacle to progress, it is my belief that Religion and Spiritualism, precisely because they are irrational, allow for the largest possible in-groups." A pause, "Of course, said in-groups make war on each other all the time for a variety of reasons, and we have large bureaucracies to manage their internal workings. But again, the Gorial and Berdikon seem to be different - Their brains are wired to make a Collectivist society work when it won't for other species."

"No, that's not really it at all," Massi clarified, "The Berdikon don't have the same system as us, like with families and all. But for us, almost everyone works within their family except for resource peddling and big businesses where you can't make things at home or have the entire family working that one industry. Most families average in the low hundreds, biggest being maybe a thousand, so most jobs can be handled by one family. Like, one family will manage a factor, another will pioneer, and so on. Generally, folks start to look outside of the family when they start getting big, and those same folks are usually the ones who'll end up doing non-family based work. We just stay inside our houses and go out to buy things. The way we keep track of everyone is pretty simple. Almost every family has at least one or two people who don't mind paperwork, and so they'll keep track of everyone's affairs and send it in. Everyone has a thing they're good at, and so they'll tell the one person who keeps track of information and that person will send it to the government. Sometimes a family won't have anyone who really wants to, so someone from another nearby family might volunteer, or maybe they'll vote for whoever seems like they'd do it the best. It's an honour system, but when you're so intertwined, it's tough to cheat someone even if you wanted to. Does that make any more sense?"

Sshalah looked at her empty plate, and back down towards Massi; "A little. My family has an archivist, but I don't think that's the same as the sort of institution that would be needed for recording all the emerging family names and lines and - like keeping track of such relationships for the IDs is-" Sshalah bobbed her head side to side, "-I suppose not that important to understanding your people."

"We have a Bureau of New Lines, but that's about it. It's not too bad given that we have the infrastructure for it," Massi replied. Alexander nods, "As for us, we just have a regular bureaucracy, as well as monogamous marriage norms. And while civil marriage is more common nowadays, religious marriages are still the majority, with many people having a civil and religious ceremony." A pause, "Now, question: What is the dominant Spiritualist or Non-Spiritualist Philosophy on your worlds? Our planet has many competing religions and sects of religions, which causes both strife and conflict and also quite a bit of advancement due to the competition between relatively large in-groups."

Sshalah looked down at the Human as she leaned her head against the hand furthest from him (and thus closest to Kaleso); "My experience comes largely from the Spiritualist Science Fiction of the Cold War era. I know that we have a belief in reincarnation." Kaleso scratched his head at Alexander's question. "We don't live on planets anymore, but our roving fleets each originate from a different world. The one I come from is dedicated to the Temple of the Holy Light, which basically means that we adhere to the deity of the Holy Light of Creation. We believe that we are... the chosen people, but recent events have shaken many of us to the core. Some have opted for strange cults that involve blood sacrifices and eldritch sorcery, while others discarded their beliefs entirely. Still, most of us are adherents, confident that this era of weakness will end in our resurgence as a great power."

Massi shook her head, and chimed in with the Gorialax perspective. "We've never really had a coherent theology. Just family stories about how landmarks came to be, many of which ended up being able areas young enough that the story was true save for some creative license. And then we've pondered about the existence of some essence to ourselves beyond the physical, but it's not really something people talk about. We can't prove it, and we have so many people from so many generations that it seems like death just is a thing that happens, and people from the same group or background often think similarly."

Sshalah lifted her head up, "Well that explains something I was wondering regarding Jokari and Gorialax. As for philosophy the Ragon one is derived largely from the natural world. It's built around finding one's place in nature and serving that role in order to maintain ecological stability for the sake of continuing the species. At least, the one I adhere to." she patted her fingers on the table, "Or have adhered to. I'm very ecologically minded."

Alexander nods at that, "We humans have damaged the Earth in our haste to overcome the hardships of Nature and promote 'growth and progress'. A few radicals even propose that Humans voluntarily use contraceptive methods on themselves to reduce the population and lessen the burden on nature. But most believe that the true solution to Humanity's problems is even more advanced technology, technology that can secure both Humans' safety from the dangers and cruelties of nature while ensuring it can coexist with it sustainably." A pause, "Basically, we look for a future where we are not the victims or victimizers of nature."

Sshalah sighed, early that day such words would have furthered her hope. Even now she still wrestled with herself; "I've thought of the same thing. Not tech but a future for Humans where they are part of nature and need not regulate their own populations."
"No offence, but those guys talking about contraceptives sound pretty dumb. You gotta have a lot of wasteful population to make enough waste to damage a whole planet..." Massi commented, "You're already a part of nature. You just have to eat the food you grow, use the right energy, and not dump waste all haphazardly."

Sshalah nodded with a smile, "Exactly, we're all part of nature- not removed from it. I think we can all get along once we understand this." Alexander says, "All of that is true." Part of him doubted that Massi's solution was actually viable, though, but he decided to agree with her on board outlines. Sshalah smiled, forgetting that Kaleso was nearby in the moment; "The issue I feel comes in not respecting each others roles in nature. Like each of us has a place and knowing that place is part of finding peace with one's self. Anyone who rejects their role will always be in conflict with themselves and those around them, or at least a faction of those around them. When I was younger I imagined traveling to other worlds and meeting new people and enlightening them on this- making friends."

After a moment of silence at the table, Massi asked, "Wouldn't it just be easier to be nice, do something you care about, and try not to be wasteful?" Sshalah looked down at Massi, the smile fading a bit as the chemicals in her brain diminished; "That, would be easier." she said slowly. She looked over at Kaleso, "It's just going to take me a while to adjust to that." she said before looking down at her plate, "I've spend my life with other-" she bobbed her head a bit before simply leaving it at that.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 09, 2020 1:16 am

Phoenix

Phoenix had been so busy these last few weeks that she failed to realize why asking that question might be a bad idea until it was too late. She sat in stone cold horror as she recognized the major faux pas she had just committed, even if accidentally. Mothlua's eyes exhibited the infamous thousand yard stare, and all Phoenix could do was cringe at her own carelessness, wishing that she could reel her words back in, to undo the last few minutes and try again, but it was in vain. And then, Gollar man asked an apparently even more insensitive question (she could only assume out of genuine ignorance), Mothlua ran out of the room, with Anja not far behind.

Phe just sat, staring at the food on her plate, wondering whether she should follow Mothlua, or wait to apologize. After a few minutes, she decided it would probably be best to try and apologize sooner rather than later. She got to her quarters just in time to overhear Mothlua ask Anja about Aethienn through the door. Figuring it was best to pretend to not have heard it, she knocked on the door. "Its me, Phoenix. I came to apologize." was all she could think to say.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

New Udonia
Envoy

Postby New Udonia » Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 am

A knock at the door interrupted Anja's response. Who could that be?
Grenartia wrote:Phoenix
"Its me, Phoenix. I came to apologize."

A few seconds passed before Mothlua's reply was heard. "The door's unlocked, come join the fun."

Upon entering, the human would have been greeted by the sight of Mothlua staring down at the floor, her left arm hanging rigidly from her shoulder.
"It's not your fault, I didn't even know she was here." Mothlua glanced upwards at the room's second guest. "I think it's the shock that got me."
"I was hoping she was dead, but I guess I was too afraid to ask."

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon May 11, 2020 2:23 am

Dr. Āihēemlái "Amlai" Āigàm Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe, M.D.
Earthling Dinner

I had found the mock Earth meal to be palatable, if unorthodox. I was not one to attend large social functions voluntarily, but for such a dinner as this, it was certainly prudent to ignore one’s preferences and partake in the mundanities of small talk. I was, despite being in a fairly central location, rather pleasantly devoid of conversation. I had the mind to speak with the Milky Way humanoid seated next to me, but such a thing would surely be rife with potential cultural misunderstandings. I instead chose to listen to the snippets of conversation that drifted around the hall. When I had seen the seating arrangements, it was immediately clear to me that it had been developed with little evident regard given for interpersonal relations.

Overall, the soup was pleasant, although when I overhead the chef sharing a tidbit with her tablemates about how the fleshy seeds in it were not meant to be digested, I found this rather odd. But of course, humans were peculiar creatures who had only just climbed far enough up the staircase of civilisation to grasp at the cosmos at all, so it made sense in a way. After all, cuisine was never so much about pragmatism as it was other factors. From what I could tell of the proper humans’ responses to the meal, it was certainly not precisely what they had hoped for, but nonetheless certainly food to them. It ultimately didn’t matter, but for what it was worth, it seemed to be made well enough. Though not perfectly to the human tastes, it was indeed quite good.

Eventually, I heard the scoot of a chair behind me, and turned my head 180°. Sure enough, it was the cook, who had risen. I’d previously sent a memo to her, Thanica, and a few others who would need to be aware of my plan. As this was a time when the crew was present in full, it was most opportune to explain to the crew my expectations regarding public health. I stood from my seat, and walked to the front of the room. Using my wristband, I interfaced with the room’s sound system to ensure that I was well heard and well understood. The stepstool that the chef had used was still there, and so I stepped on to it, undid my wristband, and held it beneath my mouth with one of my tentacles.

“Good evening,” I announced in a tone which resembled that of a newscaster, “As some of you may know, I am Āihēemlái Āigàm Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe, M.D. If you are not confident in your abilities in Móitxán, then you may refer to me as either Dr. Amlai, or simply Doctor. I am the Head Medical Officer aboard the Defiance, working with my colleague Dr. Levenkov, who prefers to be called Yev, to provide you all with galactic-standard medical care. Per his request, Dr. Levenkov will be the primary care provider for our Dhasath and human crew members. I will attend to those of you who do not fall into the aforementioned categories, although we will both act as necessary in most cases.”

I clasped my hands together with a pause as I scanned the room with a firm smile to make sure everyone was paying attention.

“More importantly, as I know a number of you do not originate from Kiellar space, there is a health and safety measure which I would like to appraise and/or remind you all of. If you are newly hired or have taken leave of more than fourteen days from the Defiance, you are expected to come to the medbay at the earliest possible time so we may provide you with medical examinations,” I stated, “For those of you who are returning, this is a precautionary measure to ensure we are not bringing any unwanted contaminants aboard the ship. For those of you who are new aboard, that is of course also the case, but, more importantly for you personally, we will need to collect preliminary tissue samples for the purposes of records and to develop a stem-cell culture sufficient to reproduce certain vital organs quickly and effectively, should you be stupid or unfortunate enough to require such things. Indeed, this practice of ours can and does save lives, and so we will continue to practice these regulations despite being under no legal obligation to do so. We cannot ensure you submit to tissue sampling, but be assured that, should you decide not to, your hubris will be mocked rather than mourned. I hope to see each of you, our new crew members, in my medbay in the near future. That is all.”

With that, I returned to my seat, and, as I was doing so, the chef returned with her Pièce de Résistance: the cake. Surprisingly enough, however, she had little to say. The girl stood on the same stepstool that I had, and said a few words of her own.

“Alright folks, as I see everyone’s sort of finishing up, here’s the dessert I’ve prepared,” she said with a bright grin and a slightly awkward expression at how big the cake was next to her, especially as its position on its cart meant it would have otherwise towered over her, “It’s called an Angel’s Food Cake, named after some divine figures in some Earth religions for it’s “heavenly” texture, so I read on the recipe. It’s supposed to be very fluffy, and sweet, but not too sweet. I have an almond and vanilla icing on it, which has a rich sweetness to it which will hopefully be a nice foil for the light cake, and then, as is Earth tradition, we also have lots of “ice cream.” I tried a bit, and it’s really quite good. I’ll cut it for everyone, so I’ll just stand right here!”

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed May 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Chapter One: The Chain

The ship slid slowly through the darkness of space. The port side of the ship was lit up by the nearby sun, while ahead of them the densely forested and strangely clouded planet they were aiming for slowly grew on the view screens. Thanica was glad to be moving again, to be away from the political intrigues of Beachhead station, back out here where life was uncomplicated and she knew what she was doing.

She sat the way she usually did, slouched lazily at the pilot's seat, one foot perched on the edge of the console as she watched space drift by outside. She had music on in the background, something to keep her alert as they closed on their destination, "So this is Lustriea," she mused quietly, "Scanners are detecting a lot of life forms of varying levels of complexity though no cities or anything much that would be indicative of an advanced civilisation. The Gollar were good enough to retrofit the ship for atmospheric landings, but I can't see anywhere anywhere remotely near where Dana said the pod had gone down where we can park this old girl. We'll need to take a shuttle."

Standing right behind Thanica and already geared up Carter checked one of the consoles, looking at the scarce signals that scanners were picking up. A jungle planet was something he was not exactly looking forward to, especially since the Gadawei IV incident. Nonetheless he hoped this time things would go a lot smoother.

Stroking his bearded chin Carter lightly tapped Thanica's shoulder, "Lets both try not to get captured this time around then," he side jokingly as he pressed on the ship's intercom system.

"All surface team members on alert, we've arrived to Lustriea, gather at the shuttle bay for descent in 30. Captain out."

Stretching his neck and his hands against the tightly packed armour pieces around him Carter felt surprisingly confident for this mission. "Hopefully Mihal and Aarla haven't strayed too far from the pod. Is there anything about the planet's layout from the archives, poisonous flora, vicious fauna, that sort of thing?"

"All of the above," Thanica replied. She hadn't jumped when he'd touched her, or produced a weapon; she'd known he was there, "It's sort-of explored, and apparently all the flora and fauna want us dead. Pack extra ammunition."

As she finished there was a thump from near the doorway, the noise of someone rather loudly slapping their hand against the door frame, mostly to let the Officers know she was there - Tava had decided to make an appearance, though she wasn't looking like her usual self. Gone was the mildly amused bon vivant. Tava looked grim, "Sorry for the interruption, but is this where we are headed?" she nodded at the planet on the view screen, "I don't like it."

His eyes glancing quickly to Thanica and then to Tava, Carter raised his eyebrows and gave an uncomfortable smile. Having heard that everything in this planet would want to chomp on their tenders wasn't exactly a good prospect.

"Me neither," Carter said as he walked off from near the piloting area and over to Tava. "But if our people are down there then its our duty to save them. Mihal and Aarla risked everything to get me off that Command cruiser not too long ago," the Humans mind reflected upon that day, how much he had learned and how much he was keeping to himself still, some of it unknown to his own sweetheart.

"It's only right that we take the risk for then as well..." with that Carter tapped on Tavas shoulder with a friendly demeanour, trying to boost the young officer's outlook. Walking past the berdikon, the human looked back, this time an assuring smile on his bearded face "So let's do this and get our people back!"

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Wed May 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:"All surface team members on alert, we've arrived to Lustriea, gather at the shuttle bay for descent in 30. Captain out."

Raoul

Combat. He expected it. In a way he craved it, like a man would crave water after months in the desert, wandering in circles. He'd thought too much recently. Now he wanted only to fight with claws, teeth. Words had exhausted him. Blood would invigorate. He carried a rifle that would've been much too large for any of the smaller crew. The scope alone was as long as a standard blaster. It fit in his arms naturally, a fitting gun for a dealer of death.

He stepped into the shuttle bay. He never relished boarding smaller ships. He always felt cramped. Looking around, he realized he was the first there. Perhaps it was eagerness that made his steps so quick. Either way, he was there. He gave a nod at Carter, but didn't say a word. He thought on the mission; saving the bureaucrat. Didn't like men like him too much, but he was crew. Besides, the captains said to do it, and he could follow orders, when necessary.

It was time to do the dirty work, and Raoul relished it.

Exo

Combat. Worst part of the job. He knew it was coming. Could feel it in the air, in the way the whole ship was tensed up. He was always nervous when blasters started blasting and things got hectic. Then again, he was scared when he got too close to stoves. Maybe he just needed to learn to chill, in general. Be more nonchalant. He gave a chuckle to himself; some infiltrator he was, tensing up when the going got rough. Walking into the shuttle bay, he looked at the assembled crew. The captains and one of the oversized lizard. He gave the thing a wide berth; about the one bad memory he had was a Ragon. Standing on the opposite side of the bay, he eyed the captain... captains? He wasn't really sure which one was in charge, the Dhasath or the human. Maybe they both were. Didn't much matter to him.

Checking his small blaster pistol, little more than a holdout gun, he wished he'd grabbed a bigger one, preferably a rifle. Then again, it would do better work in someone else's hand. He didn't much want a fight, though finally visiting a planet was undoubtedly exciting. He leaned against a wall, pistol on his belt, and waited. He was really curious as to who would walk in next.
Last edited by Lessoni on Wed May 13, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pebis

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Alexander Nevets

Alexander had already sent a message to Earth via comms before the Defiance had left. This was unreliable because it allowed anyone to intercept and read the contents of said message, but said contents were merely his perspective on the members of the Defiance Crew who had talked with him at the feast/party and the revelations about their cultures which they had told him. What would be more sensitive were his recommendations on how to deal with the political situation in Andromeda, as filtered through the views he had formed from his conversations, and the judgements he made of the various factions, but considering that those were merely recommendations from a single person, he felt safe making them.

Initial cultural perspectives on Jokari (Tertiary Spacefaring Species), Ragon, and Gorialax:

- The Jokari are friendly, generous, and have a great sense of humor, but that is not to be mistaken for weakness. Though reduced to a vestige of what they once were, their determination to restore their fortunes and their former glory, as well as their possession of verifiable psychic powers, make them a formidable foe and an even more formidable potential ally. Though they do not have a fleet which puts them on par with the major powers, they have a network of pirates and actual precognitives which can serve as a source of information for Humanity which is not filtered by the intentions of the ‘Great Powers’ precisely because the Jokari are not a Great Power...

- As for the Ragon, the Ragon believe in a philosophy where they are meant to prey on other Sapient Species in order to preserve the balance of nature, although how that can be reconciled with actively farming said Sapient beings for livestock, and thus altering the balance of nature anyway, is not within my competence. However, the Ragon species is capable of birthing cultural deviants like Humans are, and while said deviants will not be in control of their society barring a great catastrophe for their society, a defeat for their Empire by the Kiellar and Gollar might bring said catastrophe about.

- As for the Gorialax and their ‘Federation of Civilized Worlds’... One must correct assumptions that they are ‘Communist’. Rather, their ideology is even more naive - They genuinely believe in ‘sharing and caring’ and the ‘uselessness of war’. In short, they are family-clan-based collectivists who nevertheless make it work through different biology - I believe that they have a smaller ‘fear center’ in their brains than Humans do plus the innate ability to hold more than 150 people as ‘close kin’. Though the dominant power in the Milky Way Galaxy, nothing can be asked from their Federation except for raw resources and tech: They cannot be relied on for protection or any service which requires the use of force. At best, they can be bargained with for technology one can in turn repurpose for military purposes.

Take advantage of their naivete and that of the Berdikons to acquire as much ‘innocuous’ technology and knowledge as possible but do not ask them for protection - They still have enough force to ‘obligate’ Earth to demilitarize, and that will be the end of Humanity...

Somr days after sending his message, Alexander put on some armor, took a few blasters, familiarized himself with survival supplies, and also carried a grappling hook and other strange-looking tools for navigating an Alien Jungle. Then he went to the Shuttle Bay to join the ‘Away Team’...
Last edited by Dragos Bee on Fri May 15, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed May 13, 2020 6:02 pm

Presently
Sshalah entered shortly after Alex not having been close enough to go noticed. She passed Exo along the wall as she took up a position at an angle from Raoul and close to the Captain and Commander. She was in her skin suit as usual, some padded plastic armor strapped upon it at places. Upon her left shoulder, right forearm, her knees and waist like a belt. For what ever reason she's chosen to make horizontal white marks upon her face across her eye lids. She didn't have a side arm this time, rather she was carrying something larger of Milky Way design.

Earlier
Harbertia and Dyelli Beybi cowrite
Sshalah was leaning in the doorway between the bridge and the rest of the ship, her arms crossed and her eyes heavy as she looked down upon the pilot's chair. This was perhaps the most direct she'd approached Thanica in a position of command. Usually they talked in the mess hall, but this time it was different and Thanica was alone. Sshalah cleared her throat, the tastes of the meal the crew shared still lingered. She took a breath; "Than, I have a request to make." she said on the exhale.

Thanica jumped slightly, having seemingly been lost in her own thoughts, though she recovered quickly enough, giving Sshalah a warm smile, "What can I do for you today Sshalah?" she asked. Thanica wondered if it had something to do with all the other dhasath who had ended up on the crew. There was definitely a chance for... friction between the others of her own kind and the Ragon crew members.

Sshalah ceased leaning on the door, the look on her face still lingered. "I'd like to be let off at Pleasure Haven if it's on our flight path." she said with an uncertain frown.

That had not been what Thanica had expected. She pursed her lips thoughtfully, "Well I did always say I'd do my best to get you home or anywhere else you wanted to go, although I wouldn't have thought that was the best place to be let off. Do you mind if I ask why?"

Sshalah stepped onto the bridge looking down to her left side, "This," she took a breath, "the conflict is getting worse and between the Gollar and Command being involved with the ship on top of the Jokarun cutthroats the ship's getting pulled further towards-" she swallowed nervously, "-fighting Ragon." she took some sharp breaths, "I don't want to have to choose between the Defiance and my people. What if it's my uncle, or a brother I face- a cousin? I've already lost one brother to this, and I don't want to be the cause of another's lose. Yet at the same time Raoul and the Jokari tell me that I've changed so much I wont be welcomed home. Getting home has been my desire for a long time- if it wasn't for what happened after the rescue of Carter I'd already be back. But now I feel like every direction I go leads to something wrong except one- I'm one of the slayers of the Devourer, we had a heroe's feast and it's neutral territory. I'm a hero there," she took a deep breath her eyes heavier, "that's what Carter said," she took in a raspy breath, "I'm a hero there."

Thanica steepled her fingers, cocking her head to one side as she looked up at the Ragon. She thought she understood how Sshalah felt. There was definitely an undercurrent of thoughtless animosity towards Ragons amongst the crew, "Can I start by saying the Jokari don't run the ship, but you are right; now that there is a war on, there is a reasonable chance we will get drawn into it in one capacity or another and I appreciate you don't want to fight your own people. In the short-term though, we are mounting a rescue mission for Mihal and Aarla which will not involve fighting Ragons. I would really appreciate your help on that mission though obviously the choice is yours," she took a deep breath before adding, "We can drop you off after that, if that is what you want, though I think it is only right to point out that I don't think anywhere outside of the Empire will be especially safe for Ragons until this is all over, one way or another, though if you are looking for a place where you are seen as a hero... you are a hero here."

Sshalah took a very deep long and rattling breath. "Thank you," she said. Even if she had said such to Thanica before in this moment it felt like she was saying it for the first time, "I really wish." she sighed with a raspy tone, "I'll go with you on this mission, but this time you have to bring me there after this." she took a few broken breaths, "It's probably, the last chance I have of mending things with Mihal- I was so careless back then. I know it wasn't that long ago, I know he probably isn't going to see me the way you do. But I'll do this. I know by now that no matter what I do any hope I had with Mihal is gone, and after all the conversations I've had with the crew that no matter what I'm crushed and maybe it's as Raoul says- and maybe we all deserve it, maybe I'm never suppose to have happiness. Perhaps I'll go to Pleasure Haven and find that the job I'd seek only gets me into trouble with a local gang- perhaps the bathhouse I owe money to isn't going to take me on as an indentured and I'll have to find other work. Maybe it's as you say and with the Sarufi gone attention regarding predation of people has gone to the Ragons; perhaps I'll be hunted but perhaps that's some sort of cycle- part of what ever cosmic chess Raoul talks of. Being away from home, I know now that things are not clean. I hate it. I'm just trying to find the better leg of the situation. I once told Raoul that I don't want to be an outcast, and I don't. I'm suppose to be leading part of society- not-" she took a long breath and leaned against the now closed door with her hand to her eyes.

"Sit down," Thanica said, standing up from her pilot's seat. She looked concerned, "Of course you deserve to be happy but I don't think working as an indentured servant at a bath house is your route to life fulfilment. Why don't you think that you'll get on in the Empire? I thought you had family there?"

She guessed there had been an argument between Sshalah and Raoul. His name had come up quite a few times. Odd. They'd always seemed quite close.

Sshalah slid down into the floor bringing her perhensile tail to lay over her feet as she sat there, "I've been liberal," she took a breath, "from my people's standards. But I keep getting told that I'm now so far from what a Ragon is that I'll be deemed weak and killed. I can't see my family doing that, but given how I've been called weak before I've started to wonder if the only reason I'm alive is because I'm female. Like, I didn't really see that negatively until recently but so many are deemed weak and don't make it but here I am the soft one. I use to see my survival as testament of my strength but now I wonder if it's all just privilege. That maybe I should be dead and my existence is just the product of fortune. I can't see my family killing me, and-" she took a breath pulling her legs close, "maybe the Jokari perspective is construed but I know that of those brothers I have who are in union with other houses they have woman who would desire the house. Maybe they are better for seeing my family survive. How am I suppose to argue with cold reason while under the oppression of emotion- I've argued so often with logic- it's kept me sane but now it feels so cold. I could argue some of my points- but if I tried to argue against farming other species I'd be seen as radical- like Raoul. I'm at war with myself and it hurts me; I have always been a fan of other species- I've loved documentaries on their society and biology but I've never considered not eating them- just treating them better but now I'm here, and despite having done what I've done I've not eaten anyone- not alive or like- I even spit out the head of that- I felt bad for them. I have this really big stupid heart that I've had tempered with reason but now after having all of you for company and Raoul whose lived among others longer, I don't feel like eating anyone but I'd have to if I went back. I couldn't look at my uncle and tell him 'I can't.' It's- I'm wieghed by things I haven't told you."

Thanica sat down next to Sshalah, close enough for Sshalah to feel the warmth radiating from the mammalian, "You've spend quite a while with us now. It's very difficult not to start thinking of the others in the crew as people, even if your instinct is not to do that. I like you, I trust you and I feel safe when you're around. None of those are normal reactions for my kind - you aren't the only one who has been changed by our voyages, but it seems that it has come at personal cost to you and for that I am sorry. I always thought one day we'd get you home and your story would have a happy ending," she paused for a long moment, before adding, "Though know, if you can't go home, rather than hiding from the conflict, why don't you come with us and use that great big heart of yours to help me keep this crew from doing anything horrible? If we do end up fighting your people, and I would never expect you to participate, I'm going to struggle to keep some of them from committing unspeakable barbarities. If you stick with us, you can save Ragons... or alternatively use your charms to save me if things go catastrophically wrong!"

Sshalah closed her eyes as her body took in the warmth radiating from Thanica. There was a calming in that, and Thanica sitting next to her after calling her a hero. Explaining how they'd both changed. Thanica still didn't know the fine details of what happened with Sshalah's brother, but she didn't need to. She already knew what members of the crew where capable of. Running away from the conflict seemed simple but in the end it would have been temporary- the war or it's aftermath would have come to Pleasure Haven eventually. Here at least Sshalah had Thanica, and maybe Mihal would see Sshalah for how she is now, even if that now is a very young iteration and a tad unstable. Even more pressing was that Thanica was right. Without Sshalah around the crew could do terrible things. "I," she turned her head and looked down at Thanica hoping she didn't move and that they could keep talking like this, "have been worried that by stopping such from happening I'd have to choice a side. That I'd be taken as an enemy by one of them. With Mihal away, and having been long absent before our rescue of him to come, I'll state that I'd have an easier time doing so with more authority then quartermaster. Right now, even if I objected I'm out ranked. Not that my position as quartermaster was ever made official."

"Well, you are outranked by me and Carter, but only because you voted for me!" Thanica looked up at Sshalah, smiling brightly, "Anyway... Quartermaster? Was that when I had that KC brain bug trying to kill me and Carter was on an away mission? I knew Carter put you in charge, though I don't remember anything from then. I'll have a chat with him, but I can't see there being any issues with you being the ship's Quartermaster," she reached across, touching Sshalah lightly on the leg, "You know you can always come and talk to me if you are wrestling with anything in your head."

Sshalah put her hand beside Thanica so her palms where facing the Dhasath as she looked down with a smile, "Thanie, I appreciate this. I appreciate you really. Without you I don't know what I would have done. After being alone in the cell for so long the last thing I expected to find on this ship was friend."

"Not what I'd have expected either," Thanica replied, putting a hand on one of Sshalah's monstrous palms, "I am very glad you'll be staying with us. I'd have missed you."
Last edited by Harbertia on Thu May 14, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Novo Vohru Andai

A jungle world, Novo wondered how similar this world will be to his homeworld. He thought as he made his way to the armory. Novo still fondly remembers his home, lush, colorful, and had its own share of dangers that the planet will have too. Though he was born underground, his family would often go to the surface when he was growing up to hone his tracking skills and he was glad he decided to get his cybernetic eyes. Now he could perceive the true beauty of his homeworld and others too.

Once Novo arrived at the armory he looked and retrieved a blaster rifle from a locker. It was the same rifle that he as used before in other missions and felt some owners over it. Once he had his weapon, Novo made his way to the shuttle bay. As he walked, a thought entered his head and he started to feel a ping of sadness. They were here to find and rescue their missing crew. Memories of his former crew started to surface. Novo liked his former crew even if some of them were eccentric. They were good people since they were ferrying escaped slaves away from Command space. Most are dead after they were shot down by Command and he remembers who liked him that lived. Novo knows they were not on the Defiance and unlike them he got lucky. They are probably wasting away in some Command prison somewhere he probably will not see them again.

Well, now at least he is going to rescue someone rather than no one. Moving the memory of his former crew to the back of his mind. He needed to be focused for this. Novo finally came to the shuffle bay and with his rifle slung on his back. Giving a quick wave to Carter and Thania before leaning against a wall, waiting for the rest of the team to arrive.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed May 13, 2020 10:09 pm

The Warriors Three

A jungle world.

Terrible indeed.

Kaleso looked over from the windows of the Defiance, staring down towards the green coated world below. This was in no way familiar to him; he was born on Madnilia, a mining planet that was nothing like Lustriea. It was a barren rock with sprawling cities that lived off the mining industry that fueled the shipyards of the nearby shipbuilding planet of Nor Kala; ugly mining craters filled its surface like an acne outbreak and the glacial ice sheets reached out all over the northern and southern hemispheres to leave a narrow habitable zone in the equator. Even then, it had horrible weather; the clouds were too thick for the sun to reach down with its full glory, so the Jokarun that had called the planet home for over fifty generations were paler than their brethren, and had better vision at night. This planet they were approaching seemed to be in a state of perpetual dusk, so it would be in his advantage of he came along.

Quietly, Kaleso prepared. His armor had its own cooling system, so the humid tropical environment wouldn't be terribly inconvenient for himself, and for good reason; he was never one to like the tropics. He holstered the Sturakasa's inert hilt on his belt, and inserted a pair of plasma pistols on holsters on either side. And last but not the least, he put on the black cloak that all Jokari warriors donned over their armor, which would make him more difficult to spot in the eternal twilight that the world was immersed in.

"We're here.", he quietly muttered as Karesan Morkova and himself stepped into the shuttle bay. The Purified Jokari in turn had his Kravsagar sheathed in its container, and kept his singular plasma pistol on his belt. Karesan Morkova still had his metal mask on with the eyes still glowing a malevolent red, and elected to use a lightly armored suit in order to capitalize on his own skills. In addition to that, he used night goggles, as his kind were not accustomed to the night.

"So,", Karesan Morkova said as he looked up to the Corsair Lord that towered over him by a few inches. "Remind me again what they look like?"

"Pink haired girl with horns and a middle aged Kiel man.", Kaleso answered curtly as he looked around. "Nicht is staying, right?"

"Damn well I am.", Nicht said from nearby as the octopid encased within a humanoid shell approached. "I'm an archeologist and a pilot... not, you know, a fighter."

"You here to say goodbye?", Karesan Morkova sniffed at him with a hint of wit.

Nicht sighed. "Alright you two. Do come back in one piece, as I'll be lonely without you lot. Okay?"

"Crystal clear.", Kaleso nodded to the Mercija. "This isn't a battle, you know."

Nicht crossed his arms. "Okay. Good."

"They always start that way, Kaleso.", Yare-Lokem the Sarufi said as she came into the shuttle Bay as well. "And you know how they always end."

Nicht turned to the Sarufi, and hunched over to look into her one red eye. "You better not burn the forest."

Yare giggles. "You bet I won't."

New Udonia
Envoy

Postby New Udonia » Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 am

Characters: Mothlua of Vubhe and Vandul of Samlath

"All surface team members on alert, we've arrived to Lustriea, gather at the shuttle bay for descent in 30. Captain out."

The first mission had finally arrived. Mothlua and Vandul had been in the armory, preparing to embark on their first operation in months.
Both of them had long-since disposed of their Command armor, for very different reasons.
Vandul didn't want to represent the entity whose brutality had cost him his best friend and only sibling. While the emblems were long-gone, it would have still felt wrong.
Mothlua's armor was lacking protection in specific areas. If the female combat engineer's armor had been a little more conservative, she wouldn't have lost an arm.

They had both opted to utilize the same brand of armor. This variant had been designed by one of the privately-owned military contractors of the Command. It was optimized for the Kiel body, with multiple unisex height variants available. Frequently used by Kiellar mercenaries, it managed to disguise the wearer's identity for deniability.

The armor was composed of a camouflaged temperature-regulating jumpsuit, effective for keeping out both the elements and unwanted contaminants, and the tactical exoskeleton, which was optimized for maneuverability and the protection of vital organs. The helmet's visor would automatically adjust to the brightness of its surroundings, with the one-way material optimized for the Kiel's natural night-vision.

With multiple upgrades available, the two Kiel had only opted for two. One was the mask-filter, which would filter out everything except for oxygen. There was an option for using miniaturized oxygen canister's when operating in oxygenless atmospheres or underwater use, which could be inserted into the helmet's repository. The other upgrade was the smart-camouflage package, which would allow the jumpsuit, exoskeleton, and helmet to change color based on its environment.

Arriving together at the shuttle bay, Mothlua scanned the room for those who would be joining in on the rescue mission. Most of them were familiar faces: Raoul, Sshalah, Kaleso, Karesan, Yare, Novo. There was also the human and the Kiel which had a drink spilled on him, by someone. Thankfully, her embarrassment was covered by her helmet.

Kylantha
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kylantha » Fri May 15, 2020 5:59 am

The Defiance Tz'aths

Earlier...

Huh..? Anja's legs twisted inwards, apparently without her realising. Her ears slowly lowered until they were flat against her head. She didn't know how to answer Mothlua's question. Just to be able to reassure the Kiel however, she decided she was going to say they didn't look mad at all. But someone knocked, startling the little pink Tz'ath who decided to forego the reply altogether. Instead, she moved well out of the way to let the adults talk as she continued munching down on the crunchy bugs. Hmmph, that's good.. I need to go and get some more..

Despite wanting to keep Mothlua company, Anja wasn't too comfortable anymore, and with that little voice of hers excused herself and exited the room. "Phew." she sighed, feeling bad for leaving so abruptly. But her instincts just had such an influence on her. Well.. Back to the mess it is..

She was just down the hall when she realised someone was speaking, as if giving an announcement. The young Tz'ath rushed over to listen. It was that squiggly-woman, and she was asking all the newbies and whoever was off-ship for fourteen days to go in for a medical examination. "Ah." Anja relaxed slightly, her tail brushing gently across the floor. She had been thinking about approaching Amlai, but could never gather the courage to do so. It was because she was a doctor, and Anja wanted to be a doctor. Though Ny'luah back on New Ethira had taught her loads, she thought it was a great idea to learn as much as she could.

Maybe I could get Sho or Khuzme to come with me...

After the chief med officer's announcement, the dessert came next. Sho's attention was immediately on the fluffy masterpiece that was the Angel Food Cake. His eyes emitted a sparkle as he stopped dancing and set his full plate on the floor. He started lumbering towards Massi who was stood next to it but was stopped by a sharp pain in his ear. Khuzme had grabbed him, giving him a low snarl as she jerked her head back towards the table.

"I was just going to smell!" he wailed, grabbing onto Khuzme's wrist as she swung him around and back onto his chair.

In a tone that was both harsh and restrained she growled, "You sit. And you wait."

Sho was gobsmacked, but he protested no further and just crossed his arms over his chest. It was embarrassing to be put in place by her, but he didn't want to contest her discipline. Especially since that would mean starting a fight. Biting back his pride, he waited his turn as everyone else got in line for a slice. Eventually, he got his own and appeared to forget about the banal confrontation with Khuzme. It wasn't long then until he came back for another. And another. And.. Another. Up until there was no cake left.

Khuzme was just happy that Sho'chavuk behaved himself at the very least, allowing everyone to get a taste of the heavenly cake without issue. She herself went back for another, savoring its taste and texture in her mouth. Looking at the other Tz'aths, it was rather evident that they enjoyed the dessert too. Especially Anja, whom they all knew had a sweet tooth. Same as Sho.

Maybe I should loosen up a bit, Khuzme thought to herself, considering the light and warm feeling she had inside when her friends were enjoying themselves.

She was probably right thinking that, considering what the Defiance crew was going to do next...

Above Lustriea. The Tz'aths have been rather excited since hearing about their next destination. Sho'chavuk especially. He had been chatting Anja up about the wonders of the jungle for hours now, and the young Tz'ath seemed to enjoy it. She was wondering about the medical examinations, but from there had decided: she was going to the surface with the others.

Already the little blue reptomammals were preparing. They were acting in a very organised manner that the original crew had probably never seen. Sho'chavuk was performing uniform equipment checks and briefing his fellow Tz'aths on the mission as he'd heard from above. It was to Khuzme, very impressive how effective and.. Attractive.. Sho'chavuk could be when he was being serious. She tried her best not to crack a smile as she listened to the usually bumbling Tz'ath teach Anja how to use an improvised boltcaster. She didn't seem to notice the young Tz'ath's discomfort.

Anja didn't like holding the lethal object in her hands. It made her feel sick in her stomach. But for the sake of her fellow Tz'aths, she went along with the demonstration. Sho directed her to pull on the trigger, thereby launching a large metal bolt at a woven basket and scaring her. She dropped the boltcaster onto the ground, causing it to fire another bolt up towards the ceiling. The others seemed to find that funny, but her heart was pounding. She stared at the grounded weapon with horror until Sho spoke to her in a most gently voice, bumping her cheek with his snout and rubbing her shoulder.

"Scared you, has it? That's alright. You don't have to use it if you don't want to." he assured her, which made her (and furthermore Khuzme) happy.

What Sho said was true. Anja had her own equipment now, and they were probably what she was going to be using for this mission. Since being away from the Defiance, she had gotten training in both combat and medicine, and was growing to be adequate at both. Now was a chance to show them what she was made of. Sho and the others had promised to teach her a lot more, and she was excited for it. But she would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. Danger was after all a constant in such undertakings as these.

Promptly after Carter's call, the Tz'aths are down in the shuttle bay. Sho'chavuk is brimming with excitement. Khuzme is as well, but she successfully hides it. Anja is visibly nervous, clutching her baton in her right hand and her cannon in her left. Uht'las remains silent as he finds a spot and sits, tail coiled around his body. Pel'churul just keeps on messing with his gadgets, even while walking. And Narkhi'zesh.. Well, he doesn't look to happy. He stands well away from everyone else, casting quick glances at the two Ragons every now and then. He couldn't help but feel irritated by their presence and was surprised he'd lasted this long without attempting to kill either of them.

"Hmph." he turned his head away from the reptilians. "Bollocks."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse