NATION

PASSWORD

Andromeda Burning (SciFi Char RP|IC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:33 am

Kaleso Stralbane

And the argument continued.

On one side, there was the Erloi, Cazryn, the Gollar liaison. She had suspicions that a mutiny was brewing within the non-humans of the crew, and truly, there was a bit of truth there. Doubts on Nathaniel's leadership had sent shockwaves through their dysfunctional family pulled from a dozen different worlds. Some of them have died along the way, too. And some were poised to incite rebellion. This is so, as they cannot leave. They were all criminals in the Command, the glorified attack dogs of the Gollar Confederacy, and tasty nuggets of meat for the Empire. He watched as Thanica slung her arms around Carter's neck and suggest that he and his fellow humans return to their home world for a little time, and have those... cold desserts, whatever those were.

But did Thanica scheme with anyone? Not that he knew of. Certainly not with him. Not yet, anyway, if Cazryn's suspicions were correct.

They all spoke the truth. The Gollar had no concern for their safety. They only sought to broaden their astra-political interests, be aligned with the Federation and the Terrans from the other side. The Confederacy did, after all, proclaim that they will destroy all slavery in the Andromeda Galaxy, whether it was the normal kind of slavery that the Command practised, or the farming the Ragons wrought upon everyone else.

In the other hand, was scheming and plotting a mutiny while the humans went back to Earth going to make things better for them? That one remained to be seen.

The exchange continued, with Kaleso not interrupting them as he just took sips of his cup. He didn't want it to go to waste. That was the foremost priority here.

"Did you sold out back to the Command? After everything they did to you, to the crew, to me..." His tone turned from hurt to one of deepening resent.

With the paper cup empty, Kaleso crushed it in his hand and stuffed it into his coat's pocket. "Truth be told, I know nothing of what she might have planned." Of course he didn't know. He wasn't even with her for most of the day. "But the Gollar do not care for us. They who proclaim that slavery will be ended by their hand have instead treated us as their puppets, slaves but with extra steps. Our only use for them is to advance their interests into your galaxy."

The Jokari continued. "For most of us, there will be nowhere to go, not when we serve a state that cares not for our welfare. I have a place, even if it is within the sea of stars. Thanica and most others don't. You are... fortunate to be included in the interests of the Gollar. But I won't be trying to force it out. Not me, anyway."
Last edited by Europa Undivided on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 am

Ra'rannir

Ra'rannir could sense the argument arising. Even from halfway across the ship, she could feel the negative emotions spewing forth. She couldn't tell who was argument from this far away, but she could definitely feel it. It caused her some discomfort, because it was getting close to spilling over into something worse. The killer intent was there, mixed in with the angry and hurt.

Nervous about what may arise from this mysterious argument, Ra raced off towards its source. She prayed to the Nigh Mother, unsure if she could even hear her from so far away, that she'd make it in time before someone got killed. Ra didn't want another person she cared about die.

As she got closer, Ra picked up the scents of several familiar people. She could smell Thanica, Kaleso, Caz, and the last scent was of Carter. The fact that the Chieftain might be in trouble caused the Huntress to pick up the pace. She was skidding around every corner until she reached the bridge. She was going so fast that the door to the bridge did not open right away and she slammed into it.

Dazed by the hard hit, Ra waited for the door to open before barging in. There, she saw all four of them in the bridge. Carter had his gun in his hand standing in front of Thanica,  Caz with a knife  and Kaleso  standing on the sidelines. With no real evidence to go on, Ra went with her instincts and ran between Carter and Caz.

" Stop!!!" Ra yelled as she stood at her full height above everyone else. " We are Tribe! Tribe no fight! " She then proceeded to speak her peace to try and calm everyone. There was a lot of anger and mistrust that she could sense. She had nothing to really go on so she went with what she knew.  She turned towards Carter, moving up between him and Thanica.

" Chieftain. Thanica cares for you. Her heart still beats to your name. She's your mate, Chieftain. You chose her for reason. Remember reason." Ra said as she looked him in the eyes, pointing at her head for emphasis.

" And Thanica..." The Huntress turns to the red skinned woman." Chieftain strong and he cares for Tribe. He good man. Remember why your heart beats. "

Ra then walked over and stood in front of Caz.

" And you. You're Huntress like me. Hunters need each other to take big prey. No hunter does it alone...not even me. You are part of Tribe now. Our lives are tangled together. You rely on us just as we rely on you."

Ra then went to address the group as a whole.

" I know not of Sky Demon pol-it-ticks. The Nothing is big and scary. So many Mother with so many children that want to hunt Tribe. The big Tribe, the Gol-Ars, they are too vast to protect every Tribe in the Nothing. We are alone. We survive, we must do it together."

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches

Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:51 pm

Olorisa, Defiance bridge

The rapidly-developing standoff on the bridge did not go unnoticed by the ship's AI. However, there really wasn't much she could do. Talking them down might work, but the specifics of the situation demanded more than platitudes, and unfortunately, platitudes were all Olo had at the moment.

Phoenix, Medbay
The United Federation of Terrans wrote:Mattys Venter
Med Bay

Grenartia wrote:"Phoenix Williams. I'm one of the Defiance's midshipmen. I also moonlight as medic, US liason officer, and rarely, scientist. Pleased to meet you." she replied with a smile and taking Mattys' hand and shaking it. "Got a particular job title you're signing up for?" Phe inquired. She listed her jobs, so it only made sense to ask about his.

Mattys returned the American's, surprisingly tight grip, and allowed some laughter to creep into his voice.

"Ja, I'm the new combat medic." Mattys motioned toward his holster and sheathe on their respective thighs. He paused before continuing with an even wider grin on his face. "Also dig a mean ditch."

"Outstanding!" Phe exclaimed, clearly eager at the prospect of not being the only medic on the team any more. "I'm sure the good doctor here can give you the basics of first aid for xenos."

At this point, she heard someone running down the corridor. towards the bridge, and decided to investigate. "I'm going to look into whatever that was. I'll swing by for my meds later."

And with that, Phoenix left the medbay and sprinted in the direction of the footsteps she heard.

A short time later, on the bridge

Just as Ra had finished her speech, Phe walked onto the bridge, and was flabbergasted at the standoff she was witnessing.

"Um, holy shit..." she mustered, before briefly gathering her thoughts. She didn't think in her wildest dreams that she'd ever see Nate pull a gun on Thanica. "Lets all put our weapons away. We're all reasonable adults here, we can talk this out without having a bloodbath."

She had no clue what the hell caused this, and had no idea what stake Caz had in all of this, but Phoenix knew that she could at least play the neutral mediator between Carter and Vari.
Last edited by Grenartia on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:57 am

Carter Takes his Stance

Captain Nathan Taylor Carte
The Defiance Bridge

Thanica's eyes widened in surprise. There was a slight pause, then she slipped down from where she had started herself, taking a rather rigid military stance, her arms folded nearly behind her back, "Captain, I would request not to answer that question, at this time," she said.

Tensions kept mounting and the scene unfolded, Carter remained steadfast and yet there was clear hurt in his expression as he couldn't bear to believe that Thanica and anyone else was trying to play him. Yet the recent developments, Thanica going over to the Command embassy, trying to get him and other humans to leave, and now refusing to even answer the question was perhaps what made him even more uneasy. For all he knew she had already set a deal with the Command, she had been rather friendly with someone that had threatened to torture him only months ago and now she was going off to their diplomatic building having evening coffee or whatever they did only to immediately suggest Carter depart the ship for a sabbatical time off. Carter's eyes lingered in all directions, up and down and from the sides as he tried to grasp what was occurring.

"I would request that you consider whether I have given any cause to be mistrusted in the past," she added. There was a slight tightening in her voice that suggested she wasn't exactly happy with the response she had received, "Whether I have done anything that was not in the best interests of the crew? I have never asked to be taken on trust before."

She had a point, for all the time they had known each other Thanica had trusted Carter, at times against better judgment and sometimes they had succeded and most recently they had perished badly. Now she was relying on his trust, his ability to set aside personal instincts and judgements and simply believe in her word as she had done so for him. Carter looked down to his unholstered weapon and then to Thanica as he was unsure of what to say. Then came the Gollar liason's words.

"Always looking out for the crew. Such a noble ideal. One that would be hard to argue with." she started. "It's a shame you spend just as much time undermining it." She glanced sideways at Carter.

Carter's expression changed from ominous contempt to stupefaction as the Erloi continued. She had been a pain in his ass indeed, a set of prying eyes directly from the command, and it was clear he had not been on her nice list before and yet despite his mistakes back at Kazshurn she had not tried to set him up for court martial or any severe punishment even though she had the power to do so, that had to count for something. He still struggled to fully trust her, trust anyone at this point as the Erloi went on.

"You proclaim altruistic intentions, but all of your reasons are about you. You're being played, You'd be a fool not to take the opportunity not given to dhasath. You were going through a crisis ever since you were demoted." She removed her empty hand from behind her back and gestured in the air. "Or maybe that's where the problem truly lies? You've been upset about it since the beginning, by your own admission. Now you're willing to 'get your hands dirty', by your own admission, to resolve it. But it's all for the benefit of the crew."

Was it all for revenge then, was it Thanica being upset over the demotion that had been outside of his own control and over the vote which he had even apologized for? That couldn't be right, she wouldn't do it over something like that. He knew her better, he had to know her better, at least he felt like he did somehow.

It was the next set of words that left Carter even more conflicted.

"Don't let me interrupt, though. I'm curious what the rest of your plan is. Carter and the humans all resign and leave to to go Earth. You kill me, and anyone else the Gollar send to stop you, then what? Wait for them to get back and go fly off to join the war again under different colors? Or maybe you don't wait, and just leave without them? It'd be very difficult for the humans to get back onboard with the Gollar still trying to retake the ship afterall."

It made too much sense, Thanica trying to get the Humans off the ship to take control of it. Carter had been shaky since Kazshurn but he was not dumb enough not to see the signals of possible mutiny, something Thanica herself had spotted long when they had first meet, the Command marines trying to fool them at first.

"Would make sense to get us all off, after all we aren't forced to be on Gollar service..." Carter whispered to himself, he wasn't quite sure if Thanica wanted such a thing to put him and the others out of harms way or perhaps he was the fall guy, the Command would at least want it so, that much he feared.

It was then that Kaleos interjected after what seemed like an eternity of the Jokari watching from the shadows.

With the paper cup empty, Kaleso crushed it in his hand and stuffed it into his coat's pocket. "Truth be told, I know nothing of what she might have planned." Of course he didn't know. He wasn't even with her for most of the day. "But the Gollar do not care for us. They who proclaim that slavery will be ended by their hand have instead treated us as their puppets, slaves but with extra steps. Our only use for them is to advance their interests into your galaxy."

The Jokari continued. "For most of us, there will be nowhere to go, not when we serve a state that cares not for our welfare. I have a place, even if it is within the sea of stars. Thanica and most others don't. You are... fortunate to be included in the interests of the Gollar. But I won't be trying to force it out. Not me, anyway."

"That may be," Carter could concede that much, the Gollar clearly had their own agenda and wanted to use the crew to their best interest, he wasn't ignorant to that.

"But I much rather fight with them, than serve under a regime like the Command... For God's sake Kaleso, they are openly hostile to your people as much as the Empire is."

When it came to Thanica and the other's place, Carter was confused at the insinuation. Thanica and the others clearly had a place, the Confederacy, the Federation, Earth, the mew universe they could potential mold after the war. That was what he was fighting for and he expected, no, he knew that Kaleso, Thanica, Novo, Mihal, and everyone could be a part of it.

"We are fighting to rid the galaxy of a hostile and hungry threat, the Gollar may not be perfect but they offer a much more fair future. You cannot trust the Command to do the same, they are the ones who have slavery, Arla, we saved her from that slavery and all of us can have a place after this war is over..."

It was then that Carter looked to Thanica once more, his expression one of beseech to the Dhasath who he had come to cherish, "Thanica, I trust you, I trust that you want the best for the crew... But whatever you are planning with the Command isn't the way, that much I can garaunte. We have a future, you and I, back on Earth, after the war. We don't need to switch any sides, because we are fighting for our future and I know you believe that Thanica. But I'm not resting until this war and until this threat is over that much I can also tell you..."

Out of nowhere a sudden voice cracked through the argument.

" Stop!!!" Ra yelled as she stood at her full height above everyone else. " We are Tribe! Tribe no fight! " She then proceeded to speak her peace to try and calm everyone. There was a lot of anger and mistrust that she could sense. She had nothing to really go on so she went with what she knew. She turned towards Carter, moving up between him and Thanica.

" Chieftain. Thanica cares for you. Her heart still beats to your name. She's your mate, Chieftain. You chose her for reason. Remember reason." Ra said as she looked him in the eyes, pointing at her head for emphasis.

" And Thanica..." The Huntress turns to the red skinned woman." Chieftain strong and he cares for Tribe. He good man. Remember why your heart beats. "

Ra then walked over and stood in front of Caz.

" And you. You're Huntress like me. Hunters need each other to take big prey. No hunter does it alone...not even me. You are part of Tribe now. Our lives are tangled together. You rely on us just as we rely on you."

Ra then went to address the group as a whole.

" I know not of Sky Demon pol-it-ticks. The Nothing is big and scary. So many Mother with so many children that want to hunt Tribe. The big Tribe, the Gol-Ars, they are too vast to protect every Tribe in the Nothing. We are alone. We survive, we must do it together."

Ra's words did indeed make Carter reconsider as he looked at his weapon still in his hand. He felt shame, he felt confused, he felt lost, even more than he had ever felt before and he didn't know if anything he had done was the right thing. Phoenix's entrance also made him reconsider his approach further.

"Um, holy shit..." she mustered, before briefly gathering her thoughts. She didn't think in her wildest dreams that she'd ever see Nate pull a gun on Thanica. "Lets all put our weapons away. We're all reasonable adults here, we can talk this out without having a bloodbath."

She had no clue what the hell caused this, and had no idea what stake Caz had in all of this, but Phoenix knew that she could at least play the neutral mediator between Carter and Vari.

It was at that moment that Carter finally holstered back his weapon, his head down as he looked back to Cazryn, then to Ra and Phoenix, to Thanica and Kaleso.

"I'm Captain of this crew, I will stand with it as long as this war lasts. We have come a long way together, and together we have to stand together as one like Ra says, and I don't want any conflict within us much less a bloodbath" he said in reference to Phoenix's comment. "And I'm not blind to the Gollar's flaws and how they've used us..." He continued as his eyes stared off into nothing in particular, his thoughts were scrambled but he knew what he wanted to ultimately say.

"But I'm not leaving, and I wont defect if that's what you're planning Thanica, at least that's what the major suspects, but I wan't to hear the truth from your own mouth," He looked to her and his eyes were calmer now as he looked at her somberly, "please tell me the truth, the whole truth?"
Last edited by Arengin Union on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 am

Thanica Vari

The whole truth.

Thanica drew herself up. It was fairly obvious she didn't want to say anything. She knew what that meant, "The whole truth is that Marshall Vilia is the representative of a dhasath client state, which he hopes to establish on my homeworld under the protection of Kiellar Command. There are Ragons living there and he approached me as he wants to ragon crew to join his people as ambassadors to the civilian ragon population once the war is over. He has a solution to divide the planet between ragons, dhasath and other species who have been brought in as livestock by the ragons. He has offered the displaced people of this ship citizenship, commissions, pensions, amnesty from past offences and legal ownership of the Defiance, which he contests is still, rightfully, property of Kiellar command, which can be transferred to the DPG and from them, to us. Not impressed, stateless criminals, but free people fighting for our own homeland."

"Had you agreed to leave the ship, I would have taken it over and given it back to you when you returned, but flying a dhasath flag," she added, studying her feet for a moment. She knew she was admitting to a whole lot of stuff the gollar would see as treasonous. The gollar were straightforward people, rigid in their implementation of the law. There was no option other than to arrest her, "It would have been simple, bloodless and your hands would have been clean of any wrongdoing. You could have blamed me to your authorities."

"You said all of us can have a place after this war is over," she added, "But where? Has anyone offered that. You can go home to earth, Kaleso can go home to his fleet. When this war is over, who is to say the rest of us won't be handed over to Command to face charges? Nobody has promised anything until now. And I believe Vilia. Dhasath do not betray dhasath; our lives are sacred. I would, also, never betray you," she said, turning directly to Carter, "One day, I hope you will come to understand the truth of that."

"Anyway..." she unholstered her blaster, putting it down on the console she had been perched on the edge of. She grimaced slightly, "I'm assuming I'm under arrest now. Kaleso, would you do me the favour of taking me through to the station authorities for processing?"

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Thanica Vari

The whole truth.

Thanica drew herself up. It was fairly obvious she didn't want to say anything. She knew what that meant, "The whole truth is that Marshall Vilia is the representative of a dhasath client state, which he hopes to establish on my homeworld under the protection of Kiellar Command. There are Ragons living there and he approached me as he wants to ragon crew to join his people as ambassadors to the civilian ragon population once the war is over. He has a solution to divide the planet between ragons, dhasath and other species who have been brought in as livestock by the ragons. He has offered the displaced people of this ship citizenship, commissions, pensions, amnesty from past offences and legal ownership of the Defiance, which he contests is still, rightfully, property of Kiellar command, which can be transferred to the DPG and from them, to us. Not impressed, stateless criminals, but free people fighting for our own homeland."

"Had you agreed to leave the ship, I would have taken it over and given it back to you when you returned, but flying a dhasath flag," she added, studying her feet for a moment. She knew she was admitting to a whole lot of stuff the gollar would see as treasonous. The gollar were straightforward people, rigid in their implementation of the law. There was no option other than to arrest her, "It would have been simple, bloodless and your hands would have been clean of any wrongdoing. You could have blamed me to your authorities."

"You said all of us can have a place after this war is over," she added, "But where? Has anyone offered that. You can go home to earth, Kaleso can go home to his fleet. When this war is over, who is to say the rest of us won't be handed over to Command to face charges? Nobody has promised anything until now. And I believe Vilia. Dhasath do not betray dhasath; our lives are sacred. I would, also, never betray you," she said, turning directly to Carter, "One day, I hope you will come to understand the truth of that."

"Anyway..." she unholstered her blaster, putting it down on the console she had been perched on the edge of. She grimaced slightly, "I'm assuming I'm under arrest now. Kaleso, would you do me the favour of taking me through to the station authorities for processing?"

Phoenix

Before Kaleso could act, Phe interjected. "Belay that order, petty officer." she commanded. She knew sticking her neck out like this was likely going to give her the same fate as Thanica if the effort failed, but Phe couldn't let her take the fall alone. She disagreed with how the Commander planned on arranging the transfer of command, but understood why she made the plan the way she did.

Phoenix continued. "Nate, I was at that meeting, and can corroborate everything Thanica just said. I dislike the Command even more than you do, but this is a chance that's not going to come again, and now that the cat's out of the bag, and with all due respect, you'd be a damned fool not to take it."
Last edited by Grenartia on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:53 am

Kaleso Stralbane

Kaleso was taken quite aback by this. Not the plan to remake the Dhasath League that Thanica had agreed to partake in behind Carter's back, but by the fact that she requested him to escort her to the station authorities for processing.

The charges? Treason and deception, amongst others. The Confederacy would not treat her well. They'd most probably either execute her for this plot of taking over the ship and handing it back to the Command, and then to the DPG and back to themselves. Prison, if she was lucky.

Before Kaleso could act, Phe interjected. "Belay that order, petty officer." she commanded.

He strongly nodded his head. He won't escort Thanica to he sent to a fate of death, or worse. He can't. He's watched her in the months that they've all spent together in this rickety starship. There was just no way he'd willfully bring Thanica to an early grave.

So he nodded, a willful expression telling Phoenix that he wasn't going to do it whether or not she commanded him not to.

Phoenix continued. "Nate, I was at that meeting, and can corroborate everything Thanica just said. I dislike the Command even more than you do, but this is a chance that's not going to come again, and now that the cat's out of the bag, and with all due respect, you'd be a damned fool not to take it."

"Oh, so there are others." Kaleso nodded. "..."

Glancing towards the bridge's windows, the Jokari then spoke with a hushed tone. "I believe you. But there is a certain problem right here, and now."

He was clearly referring to the Gollar liaison. What were they going to do to her? The Erloi suspected that the plan was to kill her. Not that Kaleso would be saddened by her passing...

No, they could just restrain her in the cargo bay. Wait, what do the two Ragons think about this? Who else knew?

Either way, his eyes fell back towards Carter. What is he going to do?
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Cazryn of Arabana

Cazryn chuckled quietly at the actions of the other crew members, or lackthereof rather. "It's adorable." she said her gaze still staring straight at Thanica. "They think you're with them. For the long term at least. Even after you stand here and admit to only being in it for yourself." She gently placed one hand on Carter's shoulder. "You tried to organize a mutiny against Captain Carter, the man you care so much about, and tried to use me to do it. But sure, you wouldn't turn your back on the crew if you were in a tight spot. This time is different, isn't it? You won't sell them out to save yourself. Sure, you might not have any romantic attachment to them, but that probably doesn't matter does it?"

She moved her hand to her ear and opened the channel on the communicator. "Major Cazryn to Station Command. Request immediate temporary security detail to the Defiance to deal with an incident." If anyone tried to subdue her now, the noise would likely only increase the response. "And standby an Erloi team. I don't want things to get messy if they can be avoided but I like to be prepared."

The Major gently shook her head at the crew. "You got manipulated, and for that I pity you. Don't make this any more difficult than it needs to be. No one needs to be harmed. This can be resolved peacefully." She glanced at Carter. "You have my word, the crew will not be in danger unless they do something incredibly stupid. Attack me if you wish, but without a Gollar officer there will be no one to order back the Erloi."

She took her hand with her knife out from behind her back and made a display of sheathing it. "The choice is yours, I only hope that you choose wisely. Despite the extended period of distrust and avoidance, I have no ill will towards any of you."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:08 am

Thanica Vari

Did Carter have nothing to say? She supposed at this point the decision had been taken out of his hands so it didn't really matter. Thanica gave a small sigh. She could come across as rather fatalistic at times and she definitely seemed resigned at the moment; she hadn't been contesting the outcome since Carter had ordered her to spill the beans on what she was up to. She stepped across to him, going up on the tips of her toes to give him a quick kiss, "Goodbye," she said before turning back to the others.

"Anybody who knows me, knows I have only ever done what was best for the crew," she declared, the only defence of her character she was going to make, "Kaleso, Doctor Phoenix, will one of you please escort me into custody? I don't particularly want to be dragged across the promenade by some Gollar goons," she said, glancing downwards at her feet. She paused for a heartbeat before adding, "Thank you and thank you both for supporting me; I was overly excited by what Vilia promised us, I handled this badly and now I have to face the consequences of my actions. You can't do anything to change that at the moment and I don't want you to stick your necks out for a mistake I made, but you can spare me from becoming a spectacle on the station."

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:20 am

Did Carter have nothing to say? She supposed at this point the decision had been taken out of his hands so it didn't really matter. Thanica gave a small sigh. She could come across as rather fatalistic at times and she definitely seemed resigned at the moment; she hadn't been contesting the outcome since Carter had ordered her to spill the beans on what she was up to. She stepped across to him, going up on the tips of her toes to give him a quick kiss, "Goodbye," she said before turning back to the others.

"Anybody who knows me, knows I have only ever done what was best for the crew," she declared, the only defence of her character she was going to make, "Kaleso, Doctor Phoenix, will one of you please escort me into custody? I don't particularly want to be dragged across the promenade by some Gollar goons," she said, glancing downwards at her feet. She paused for a heartbeat before adding, "Thank you and thank you both for supporting me; I was overly excited by what Vilia promised us, I handled this badly and now I have to face the consequences of my actions. You can't do anything to change that at the moment and I don't want you to stick your necks out for a mistake I made, but you can spare me from becoming a spectacle on the station."

Alexander Nevets

Sometimes, the secret to sneaking in was to just walk in like one belonged here, stand in a corner, and put on a genuine clueless expression because one really had no clue what was happening. This, aided by the fact that the bridge was open for people to come in and out, meant that Alexander Nevets was able to just enter, stand, and listen to the conversation as it entered its last phases. While he hadn't caught all of it, he had caught enough and was angry at Carter's inaction - Over the past few days, the young man's opinion on Carter had shifted from 'hero-worship idolization' to 'does this guy think he lives in a pulp novel?', but due to the fact that no one had really talked to him and he hadn't tried to talk to anyone, there should be no way to tell that such a shift had occurred.

Taking a deep breath and a few steps forward, Alexander drew attention to himself as the youth, clad in a crewman's outfit with a blaster on his belt plus a set of balls on his belt which looked suspiciously like improvised explosives, walked forwards to say, "Let me do it."

He tilted his head slightly to the left, putting on the smug expression he hadn't worn since the beginning of his time on the ship. and followed up by facing Cazryn and saying, "With all due respect, a long-time friend of Thanica would be the worst person to 'escort' her to the station authorities, even if they actually follow that order - The emotional strain of being forced to betray someone they were that close to would be one more trouble to add to their list of troubles. So let me be the one to spare them the emotional pain."

Lokking at Thanica, he gave the slightest of winks at her with his right eye, angling his head such that said eye was turned away from Carzyn plus can be easy to disguise as a facial tic or just something in his eye. Then, drawing his blaster but not pointing it at anyone, he said almost cheerily, "Let's go to the station - Goodbyes would only add to the drama of this scene."

There was every way that his attempt to signal his true intentions to Thanica would go wrong, every way that she'd see him as a traitor as well. But he'd made up his mind, he was going with Thanica out of the ship and making a run for the Kiellar Embassy once he had done so. And if Cazryn caught on to what he was planning, well... It was reflexes versus reflexes, amateur 'Phantom Thief' versus professional assassin, young man versus older female. Either way, he was prepared to lay down his life for Thanica... Especially as Carter didn't seem to plan to.

And with his left arm, he'd take hold of Thanica's right wrist, so gently that she can pull her way out if needed, and then, keeping his eyes on Cazryn and Carter, begin walking her out, his body language sounding more like a high school student who got a hot date (of either biological gender) to the prom instead of a crewmember escorting an ex-superior to her death...
Last edited by Dragos Bee on Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Postby Europa Undivided » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:08 am

Kaleso Stralbane

"Thank you and thank you both for supporting me; I was overly excited by what Vilia promised us, I handled this badly and now I have to face the consequences of my actions. You can't do anything to change that at the moment and I don't want you to stick your necks out for a mistake I made, but you can spare me from becoming a spectacle on the station."

Kaleso shook his head. He really, really didn't want to bring her around to the Gollar to be be severely punished for this crime against them. What Thanica had asked of him was far too much.

Since when did he, a Jokari, start caring for these comparitively short-lived beings? He had lived for two centuries and a half, and is still considered young by his kin. His race was proud, and now that they are a shattered population, filled with cruel hate and malice. If this happened in the hundred solar rotations prior, he would not care, nor blink an eye. But now... the people many of his kindred would consider far below their own worth had become friends for whom he would fight. Why...? He can't tell. Was this because they had never tried to thrust the responsibilities that his own race expected of him?

Before anyone could escort Thanica to certain suffering, Aleks came in. He did what no one else could: bring their former Commander into the abyss of Gollar justice.

Then, drawing his blaster but not pointing it at anyone, he said almost cheerily, "Let's go to the station - Goodbyes would only add to the drama of this scene."

"Wha..." Kaleso gawked as the two of them disappeared into the corridor. There was nothing they could do now. The Gollar were coming in with their team of goons now, and resisting them would be futile.

So he did the second best thing. He fell back to sit on one of the seats in the bridge, and spun it to face away from everyone else.

Don't cry.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:13 pm

A Year Ago...
(original posts by Grenartia and Dyelli Beybi)

"That should be useful." Pheonix replied as she searched for the grenade box first. "Ah, here it is." she said, hefting the box up to the level of her stomach. "Now, just put as many rifles as you can on top of the box, and any spare battery packs, too. I'll let you know when it starts getting too heavy."

"Do you think you can get the door to the bridge for us?" she asked, turning to Thanica.

Thanica looked... confused was an understatement. She looked between Phe and Mihal, "Get the door to the bridge? But what do you need it for?" she motioned at herself, "Also, I'm not a Ragon, I'll need some help to lift that down."

She then seemed to become aware of the weapons, "Ooh... knives," Before anyone had a chance to stop her she'd lurched over to where Mihal had gone to fetch his bayonet and grabbed another bladed weapon, "And grenades. You know I've been thinking for a while that it might be a good idea to carry one of those on me somewhere. That way I can pull the pin if something is about to eat me. Hopefully blowing them up along with me," she said quite seriously, though, probably thankfully, she didn't try to grab a grenade as well.

If her hands had been free to do so, Phoenix would have instinctively facepalmed. She supposed these translator microbes didn't handle figures of speech so well.

I'll have to remember that grenade trick just in case I'm on the menu, too... she thought to herself, before clarifying her intent to Thanica. "I meant, see if you can open the door to the bridge, Thanica. Mihal and I are going to haul as many of these things in there as we can. And let whoever's in there know we're coming and we're going to make our stand there."

Now: Thanica and Alex
(Cowritten by Dyelli Beybi and Dragos Bee)

Thanica's attitude of fatalistic acceptance lasted exactly as long as it took to walk down the ramp from the ship, into the loading bay. There would be actual Gollar troops showing up soon. Probably, "Huh..." she straightened up, stopping at the foot of the ramp and rounding on her escort, "So I'm guessing you're planning to let me go or something given the little wink before. Have a think for a moment about whether you want to hop into bed with Kiellar Command. If the answer isn't an immediate, resounding 'yes', then I have a present for you," she gave a half-smile, "It's called 'choice'. Same thing I am going to give everyone on the crew."

Thanica didn't look frightened... If anything she looked relieved, perhaps even a little amused.

Alexander smirked and said, "It isn't, but it was going to be. Glad to know you have a plan," the smirk grew wider as he said, "I want in."

"Well the choice here is you can come with me now... or you can give me your blaster in exchange for..." she trailed off for a moment, as she reached down into the pocket of the cargo trousers she usually wore. There was a tinkling sound, then her hand came up again, holding a cylindrical and very explosive object that was missing it's pin "This hand grenade. You say I pulled it out and threatened to blow us both up then blame the Erloi for not searching me when I handed over my blaster. I'll be back in an hour or so, when I've been fitted for the new uniform and got my DPG commission papers. You can join, or not, or make your mind up based on what Carter and the others decide to do," she sighed, for a moment looking distinctly crestfallen, "I didn't want to accept this without Nathaniel. I know I should have been more open with him from the start, but I didn't think he'd listen beyond the words 'Kiellar Command'." She gave a frustrated sigh, "My fault. Anyway... want the grenade?"

Alexander nodded and said, "Sure. But fair warning, I am bad at direct lying, not so bad at ommission and half-truths. So punch me in the face - Not so much that you knock my teeth out, but enough to leave a visible bruise. That ought to add strength to any lie."

"No," Thanica shook her head, taking a step closer to him, "This ploy works because we're both looking for a way out of this where we save our own skin and you know I'm crazy enough to blow us both up. There's a live explosive here so everyone needs to be very careful... anyway, I have pulled a grenade out and dropped the pin. If you shoot me or attack me I might drop it and kill both of us. If I run away though, you can shoot me, so logically I need your gun to stop you from doing that." She moved her hand to take hold of the blaster, "You, however, know that handing it over would be stupid without an insurance policy, so I offer you the grenade and we switch weapons," she explained, pressing it carefully into Alex's hand, making sure the lever wasn't accidentally released as she tugged the blaster away, "And now I can't shoot you because then you'd drop it and we'd both get blown up."

Thanica took a couple of steps backwards, bringing the gun up, "I take a couple of steps away, because I'm going to run, but now I'm putting some distance between us and that means you are in danger, so logically you duck back inside the ship where I can't hit you. You're going to call for help in a moment, so I run," she paused, adding "See you soon," before sprinting off into the bay.

Alex took the grenade, ducked back inside the ship, then, after a hot moment, shouted, "I need help immediately - Prisoner has escaped!"
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm

The Defiance Bridge

Co-written between Arengin Union and Demencia

The truth had been unveiled, the entire truth or at least that's what Carter hoped it was. The sound of it all was bonkers to be completely honest, ridiculous even. Joining the Command to make a new state for the Dhasath, trusting the Command of all things was perhaps what flabbergasted Carter more as he had a mere expression of stupefaction and shock at everything that Thanica had just confessed. He wasn't exactly angry, not even annoyed, just disappointed. Her last sentences made the entire ordeal even worse for her as she surrendered her blaster and asked to be escorted to the proper authorities, Carter had no intention to doing so as he hoped this would stay as a mere case of crew misunderstanding and hopefully no one had to face any kind of legalities in the frustratingly bureaucratic Confederacy.

His arms around his waist and his eyes downwards, Carter was about to muster words but was suddenly cut by Phoenix of all people.

Grenartia wrote:Phoenix

Phe's words spoke to Carter, he trusted her enough to know he judgement wasn't skewered of misguided but his own apprehensions kept him from fully embracing such ideas. Even if she was correct that this could be a once in a lifetime chance, a great chance, he knew it could also be a trap, a foolery, a ploy to get them to be actual slaves to new masters. The war was between the Coalition and the Ragon Empire but it seemed that the Command was still dead set on circumventing its rather dubiously aligned allies at any chance it had.

"It could also be a trap hidden as a rather convenient ploy Phe, you know that isn't exclusive to Earth," Carter spoke only loud enough for the Airwomen to hear him. It was then that Kaleso also commented on thew whole circumstance, he seemed to be most unconvinced, that or he was merely considering the options. Carter had never truly deciphered what the Jokari felt, their avian nature and lack of obviously distinct facial expressions made them a hard people to read.

Europa Undivided wrote:Kaleso Stralbane

His worded expressions were still clear enough for Carter to understand as it was obvious that Cazryn was a wild card in this whole thing. Her and Carter hadn't quite seen eye to eye since she arrived but he had made a promise to work more closely with her since the fiasco of the last mission, this was the chance to demonstrate that commitment although that compromised his own relation with Thanica and part of the crew.

Demencia wrote:
Cazryn of Arabana

Carter and Cazryn locked eyes, he knew she was right. Attacking her or attempting to hide what Thanica had tried to do was no choice, but he knew there was other alternatives and he would pursue them rather than double cross the people that had already put much of their trust in his leadership. He didn't want to arrest Thanica, much less hand her over to the Gollar but that discussion would have to come later as what they really needed was to deescalate the situation, take Cazryn's words just as she had taken his and hope they could sort this mess later.

"Just, don't take her in until we sort this out okay... we'll keep her in her chambers for now..." Carter said lowly, essentially admitting impotence towards the situation but keeping a firm and high chested figure as he always did, he hoped Cazryn could accept such terms. Suddenly Thanica stepped forward.

Carter felt a part of him crack at the kiss, even more so at the goodbye as he struggled to keep a straight face and clenched his fists with a bone cracking feel within his chest. He didn't want this situation whatsoever, he had never asked to be made Captain, he just wanted to save his home and now he knew that once more he had failed the women he'd fallen for. As it seemed that Kaleso and Phe were ready to escort her Carter gave an order.

"Don't take her out of the ship, get her to a chamber in the crew quarters," Carter then looked over to Cazryn hoping she agreed to the terms.

"We'll sort this with the Gollar properly, I want to avoid any incidents..." With that Thanica was about to be escorted out. Carter could feel the scorn from Phe, at least he expected such from her. It was then that Alexander Nevets of all people showed up, he seemed rather determined, more than Carter had even seen him.

Dragos Bee wrote:Alexander Nevets

His mindset made some sense, at least to the Captain, anything that could avoid further strain on the crew Carter was fine with as he merely nodded to Nevets agreeing to him taking Thanica in. He wouldn't do so without first making his one term clear however.

"Take her to the crew quarters, she'll be in a chamber until I sort this mess with the Confederate officials, that's an order," His voice was firm and his demand clear and he hoped Alexander would be smart enough not to contradict him. Despite the exchange of responsibilities Carter noticed rather fast the stress it had put Kaleso and Phe in as they stared off with varying degrees of emotion, he himself felt his eyes sunk in as he held in tears as best as he could, his eyes closing shut as he rubbed them strongly to avoid anyone seeing him shed any tears as he slowly picked up Thanicas blaster, looking at it with heartbroken eyes which he immediately had to hide away.

As Alexander and Thanica exited the bridge, Carter and Cazryn stood near each other still. His demeanor a distressed one but with a strong posture as he turned to the liason.

"I'd appreciate if the hunting team could stand down for now, I expect Ghom will be hearing about this but I assume he can see reason?"

Cazryn seemed relatively unfazed by the goings on. Her posture was tall, and while her grin had mostly faded, glimpses of pointed teeth were still visible.

"I would be more concerned about the rest of the crew seeing reason. They were taken in completely by the idea of a deal with the Command. This will not be the end of it." she cautioned. She lifted her finger to her ear again. "Cazryn to Station. Stand down the Erloi. Maintain the security team. I don't trust this to go peacefully, not yet."

Carter couldn't deny Cazryn's concerns at all, if Phe was in on the whole thing then who else could be? That was perhaps the thing thst made Carter more anxious than the possible ramifications of this quasi-mutiny. He nodded to Cazryn as he pursed his lips, pulling his back he took a deep breath while thinking carefully of his next words.

"I don't believe the rest of the crew was in on it, at least I'd trust them not to. I'm certain we can sort this misunderstanding. He didn't feel truly confident about what he had said but he had to try and cut the crew some slack.

"But thanks for telling them, now all we need to do is assemble the rest of the crew here and hope they can understand the situati."

The Erloi shook her head ever so slightly. "Based on what Thanica said, and her hold on the crew, I worry it might not be as simple as a few people. Despite repeated claims to the contrary, there is a concerning lack of trust aboard this ship at every level. If she managed to get the crew to be willing to dispose of you before, I worry about how far this goes now."

Carter held in his frustrations as furrowed his brow and kept his lips sealed for a moment. Rynning his hand through his beard the captain glanced over to Kaleso and Phoenix, he had to prepare for the possibility of people turning on him but he hoped that they'd see some reason, still all of that came crashing down almost immediately.

"Before we do an-"

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Alex took the grenade, ducked back inside the ship, then, after a hot moment, shouted, "I need help immediately - Prisoner has escaped!"

It was sudden and out of nowhere that Alex's shout broke the short lived calm. Carter immediately turning towards the door exiting the bridge he looked at Cazryn, then at Kaleso and then at Phoenix.

"Shit," was all he could utter as he immediately sprinted out of the bridge and through the hallway to Alex, Cazryn following close behind, the two arrived to the scene by the runway of the ship, finding Alex taking cover on a wall and Thanica nowhere to be seen.

To say Caz expected anything different would have been a very bad lie. She assumed that Alex had a hand in this, but that interrogating would come later. "Cazryn to Station. Double the security team, secure the bridge. This ship does not leave until I order it. Escaped prisoner aboard."

She reached under her top and produced a larger knife than she'd had earlier. "Deal with him, I will find her. No one can hide from me, let alone a dhasath." she said bluntly to Carter. The stench had always irritated her nose, but it also made it easier to discern between the humans. The metal walls of the ship remained warm where they had been touched, as the Erloi's infrared vision proved again to be invaluable.

Several crew members began to arrive at the scene as well, the newcoming Dhasahts, Cee and Thesan among them, both armed with their blasters and now boasting standard crew outfits. The hulking Thesan spoke up at the rather confounding scene.

"We heard yelling and came to lend aid, what's transpired?"

"We've had a situation with a crew member conflicting with the ship's command," Carter said, trying to keep things relatively vague, he looked over to Alex with discernible distrust, Thanica overpowering him wasn't that out of the possibility, but disarming him so easily without having even fired a shot and standing near the bay of all place.

"I said to take her to the chambers..." He said as he stood over the shorter younger man, imposing himself on the Russian boy, Thanica's discarded blaster still in his own hands.

"Rogue crew member?" Cee said as she racked her blaster, "that's most worrisome, it seems we may have another one here too..."
Last edited by Arengin Union on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I do as I please"

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Alexander Nevets

"She pulled out a grenade," Alex explained smoothly, "A live one, and threatened to blow both of us up unless I let her go. Yes, she was willing to blow herself up than actually go to the Gollar or her own chambers. So I talked with her and she gave me the live grenade, the one which I am holding right now, and exchanged it for my blaster. Now I need the help of someone who knows bomb disposal before my grip weakens and we both end up splattered on the wall."

And by that, if Carter tried to do anything, a live grenade will drop and blow both himself and Alexander up. And the latter wasn't afraid at all, which was clear in his next words.

"You know, I saw you all as a surrogate family. You as a father or favorite uncle, and Thanica as a mother or aunt. I was happy, I felt at home. But now said home is in danger and the family is about to shatter. So tell me, what's your plan to deal with that? For that matter, your hatred of the Command and Ragon both, do you think it's enough to bring both down? If so, what's your plan for dealing with them? Let me tell you right now if you have a plan, a plan which works, a plan to bring down the authoritarian states which control Andromeda - I'm willing to go along with it and follow all of your orders from now on. So give me a plan."

He sighed, "Or do you intend to write off all those who value having a plan as villainous or antagonistic? On the same side as the oppressor? Is this a 'with us or against us' moment? So let me ask again - What is your plan to break the shackles the oppressed of the Andromeda Galaxy are held in?"
Last edited by Dragos Bee on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Brittaniastan
Attaché

Founded: Aug 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Brittaniastan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:03 pm

Vassil
Beachhead Station

Sitting in one of the station’s bars, the Kiel found themselves staring at the reflection in their drink. The face that met theirs was not that of a Kiel, and while they knew it wasn’t theirs, it felt like it was the only one they had ever known. Their eyes glanced over their features, taking in the silver hair and feline ears, then the markings on her face, before meeting the vibrant blue glaring back at them in the glass.

The Ke’oi let out a groan, before burying her face in her arms.

Note to Self: Don’t mix Sicad poison with alcohol.

She enjoyed the dark for a moment, focusing on the voices around her to relax. By the time she raised her head a few minutes had passed, and her eyes met the concerned looks of the bartender and a Dhasath that had been drinking nearby. Ignoring them, Vassil offered the bartender her card.

While she waited, she pulled some folded papers from her pocket and looked them over for what felt like the hundredth time.
Vassil entered the Defiance’s bay, her attention immediately jumping to the armed group standing around the ship’s ramp. She didn’t hear much of their conversation, but thanks to the sharp hearing of the Ke’oi she understood that there had been some difficulties with the crew, and the boy with weapons drawn on him was holding a live grenade.

More annoyed than concerned for anyone involved, Vassil moved in, taking advantage of their careful footing to move up the ramp behind the human as he continued his emotionally charged rant toward the older human. When the armed Dhasath saw her, she motioned a shushing gesture before she moved at Alex, and with a fluid motion she grabbed hold of his hand around the grenade, squeezing it together with a grip so strong it was unbefitting of the Ke’oi.

"Captain Carter, I take it?" she asked, turning her attention to the obvious man in charge while she tried not to crush Alex's fingers. "This sucks for first impressions, can I get a pin?"
Last edited by Brittaniastan on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss me with your bs

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:22 am

The Defiance Bay

Dragos Bee wrote:Alexander Nevets

Carter listened attentively to Alex's story. It did little but make his suspicions more valid. The fact he was holding onto a live grenade didn't alleviate his concerns any more as he and the others stepped back a few inches from the boy. Carter had already dealt with a situation similar to this with Saessa, but that time he knew the detonator wasn't live and in this circumstance what Alex held could kill them all quite easily. He couldn't believe for a second this was Thanicas doing, she was better than that, this was purely Alex being in cahoots with her and his extreme measure to do so shocked the Captain more than the betrayal.

Thanicas blaster still in his hand and with several crew members visibly agitated, Carter tried to be reasonable.

"Alright son, I need you to get the handle back to the rigging, you know where it is?"

Alex began to tell off Carter, with possible varying reactions from the crew but Carter himself kept calm as he listened to the kids incessant tirade. His last questions left Carter puzzled. He knew the Gollar were incredibly self absorbed at best and sociopathic at worst but he knew they were miles better than the Command. He didn't fault Alex for bring upset about the crews present situation, the kid had nowhere else to call home but that didn't excuse what was going on.

"Alex, I know it's a hard situation. I know I've done plenty of mistakes. I know were all down shit creek at the moment but what I need right now if for you to get the handle back on thst grenade. We can sor-"

It was seemingly out of nowhere that the crew got help from a rather unusual newcomer.

Brittaniastan wrote:Vassil

When the armed Dhasath saw her, she motioned a shushing gesture before she moved at Alex, and with a fluid motion she grabbed hold of his hand around the grenade, squeezing it together with a grip so strong it was unbefitting of the Ke’oi.

"Captain Carter, I take it?" she asked, turning her attention to the obvious man in charge while she tried not to crush Alex's fingers. "This sucks for first impressions, can I get a pin?"

The new arrival was a sight to behold indeed, she had cat features similar to Sotah who had left the crew some time ago in search for new things. Her quick actions to take charge of the situation proved quite helpful as she now had control of the explosive.

"Yes that's me, I suppose you're a new crew member?" Carter asked without expecting a response as he checked his blaster and looked over to Caz. Thesan for his part took the iniative as he approached the Ke'oi.

"Pardon my friend," the hulking Dhasath said he took the grenade off Alex's crunched up hand and without delay began to quickly disarm the explosive.

"Years of practice," he said with a chuckled as the grenade was disarmed. Carter nodded to the Dhasath, a sign of a job well done all whole looking to Vassil.

"Thanks for the assist, we can do proper introductions later. For now we need to find Thanica, she might be in danger. Whoever wants to come search is welcomed to. Cee, Thesan you two stay here and guard Alex and the ship..."

"With pleasure Captain," Thesan said as he set the grenade on his belt. "Best of luck on your search", the male Dhasath said as his younger female companion simply nodded and looked at Alex with contemptuous eyes.

"We'll keep a close watch." Cee said.

"Very well, Caz let's get on with it." Carter said as he then looked at the newcomer once more.

"Thanks for the assist again," with a swift move of his hand the Captain offered the Ke'Oi what used to be Thanica's blaster.

"We've got a slight workplace disagreement at the moment. You may need this just as a precaution."
"I do as I please"

The United Federation of Terrans
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:56 pm

Mattys Venter
Medical Bay

Mattys watched as his new co-worker's face morphed into something close to joy.

Grenartia wrote:
"Outstanding!" Phe exclaimed, clearly eager at the prospect of not being the only medic on the team any more. "I'm sure the good doctor here can give you the basics of first aid for xenos."

At this point, she heard someone running down the corridor. towards the bridge, and decided to investigate. "I'm going to look into whatever that was. I'll swing by for my meds later."

Mattys was about to reply to that, perhaps asked if she needed assistance, before the American had turned and fled the room. Mattys stared at the closed door for a few seconds before turning his attention back towards Amlai.

"Guess I better hit those books, ja? Only got the basics on the way in." Mattys went off to a corner of the bay without waiting for a reply. He didn't want to waste the doctor's time babysitting a medic; not when the ship's library held the information he needed.

The medic claimed a chair next to a table loaded with high tech machinery, whose purpose was unknown to him. Leaning back, Mattys stumbled through his pad's functions and finally opened up a text for an introduction to Kiellar biology.

'Might as well start familiar.'

Mattys wasn't sure how long he sat studying the text. He knew he was on the finer points of the Kiellar circulatory system, a surprisingly similar system to Humans, when Mattys heard a commotion in the hall. Louder and longer then the one that had drawn of the American, Phoenix.

So partly curious and bored, Mattys stowed his pad and exited the Medbay. It was a simple matter to follow the noise and loud voices to the cargo bay where a large gathering of crew stood in various states of agitation and armament.

It was obvious that Mattys was late to the party. Given that the Captain, Carter, was handing a blaster to an unfamiliar crew member. Either Mattys had not met them yet or they were newly inducted like the medic himself. Mattys was turning over the reasons for why the cargo bay was filled with armed crew when Carter spoke to the newly armed arrival.

Arengin Union wrote:"We've got a slight workplace disagreement at the moment. You may need this just as a precaution."

Mattys was silent for the most part as he closed the gap to the Captain and came to a halt in a spot that was close to Caz. Not out of any connection from the night before; but rather the uneasy but honest bond they had hammered out that morning in the armory.

So he addressed Caz rather then Carter as his hand came to rest on his sidearm.

"Anything I can help with here?"

His skills and experience might have come from the bush; but he was nothing if not adaptable.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:21 pm

Kiellar Command Embassy
Ouroboros and Thanica

Vari was a creature of contradiction. She was, in Ouroboros' estimation, cunning by nature, approaching problems obliquely, rather than coming at them head on. She was pretty, she knew it, and she shamelessly used that to her advantage. At the same time she was so damned earnest and when Carter, and he had to assume her crew, were involved, she made some appallingly stupid decisions, the latest of which had almost ended in her getting spaced by the Gollar. Carter had, apparently thought he could shove her away in the hold and quietly deal with the situation, but that wasn't the way the Gollar operated - they weren't going to make exceptions for mutiny charges because the Captain was sleeping with the mutineer...

"How do I look?" Vari's voice cut through Ouroboros' thoughts as she emerged from the locker room. Vilia had given her a commission in his new army. It was totally irregular to promote her like that, but he was building an army from scratch and Vari had netted him the all-important cooperation of a Ragon.

He have her an appraising look. She wore the sand coloured uniform well, curved ceremonial dagger tucked into her belt alongside her blaster, black leather boots and one of those scarfs the dhasath wore that looked a bit like a shemagh. Hers was red. "May I be the first to welcome you into the Army of Doona'tay, Lieutenant-Colonel Vari."

She paused then, apparently deciding it was the right thing to do under the circumstances, raised an arm in salute, before saying, "Thank you, Commodore."

Ouroboros subjected her to a long, thoughtful gaze. He had no particular love of Vari, but she was useful to Vilia and Vilia would help to keep Command from toppling for a while at least, Ouroboros hoped, which would give him more time to work on his research so for now their concerns were aligned. Of course, if the conflict also led to Carter splitting with Vari, that was also a bonus, though the dhasath seemed remarkably attached to him, despite the fact that he'd almost got her executed, "May I ask what your plan is now, Colonel?"

She gave him a curious look in return, "To go back to the ship and dispute the ownership of it. Why do you ask?"

What she probably meant was 'why do you ask again?'. Ouroboros motioned for her to walk with him and she fell into step, tugging at her jacket as if not quite familiar with the way it sat, "You realise that the ship isn't worth much... and that nobody will hand it over."

"No," Vari agreed, "But I want them to have a choice. If they want to fight for the Gollar, the crew can, but they don't have to. The Gollar pressment was of dubious legality and only enforceable since the crew were, effectively, stateless."

"Although there is also a chance the Gollar could place you under arrest as a mutineer," he pointed out to her, "The order you did things in was... inadvisable and they could argue that you can be tried as a mutineer since you were not a Doona'tay citizen at the point when you committed the crime. There would, obviously, be a protest filed by our Ambassador and the odds of you being executed for the crime are very low; we cannot allow the Gollar to arrest and try our officers, after all." He pushed open a door to one of the locker rooms where a section of troopers were gearing up for a change in guard shift. The troopers scrabled to attention, "When are your men due to change over?"

"Half an arn, Sir!" the Sergeant replied, his eyes straight ahead.

"Well that will have to wait," Ouroboros stated, "You will be escorting Colonel Vari to the loading bay to take possession of a ship held illegally by the Gollar. Oh, and Vari," he turned to the newly-minted officer, "Try not to start a firefight on the station. That wouldn't be a good first day in the office."

A few minutes later...

"Keep the blasters out, but don't shoot at anyone unless I say so... or they start shooting first," Thanica instructed as they entered the bay with the Defiance parked up in it. It sent a pang of regret through her chest. She hadn't wanted any of this. She just wanted to be free again. She had no idea how Carter would react to her now. He had ordered her to be imprisoned. She'd run away. Now she'd shown back up with ten Doona'tay soldiers in tow, whom he'd probably see as enemies.

"Do you want us to knock?" one of them asked from behind her. Like all the Doona'tay squads, they were a bit of a motley collection of species; desperate renegades from across kiellar space willing to gamble on Vilia's project for the promise of a quick route to citizenship, a military pension and a plot of land. There were a couple of dhasath, but representatives from other displaced groups and a trio of kiellar... not that it was too easy to tell with scarves wrapped around their faces. Hers was tied at her neck; she wanted the crew to know who it was. To know this wasn't an attack.

She shook her head distractedly, "No, just fan out and keep your distance. They'll have seen us... and let me do the talking."

As the troopers spread out, taking up position in spots where they could easily dive for cover, Thanica tugged at her jacket again. She had felt very confident back in the embassy, but as the adrenaline of her escape had faded, her confidence had been replaced by a gnawing sense of doubt. Was she about to do something very stupid?
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:52 am

Phoenix

Phe stood silently as Thanica requested her or Kaleso to escort her into custody, refusing to betray her friend. She'd also have to explain to Thanica when this was all over that she didn't have to call her doctor, or even captain. Not that she didn't appreciate the thought. It was only the stranger, al-Zubi, and the Marshal, people who weren't her friends, that she expected such formalities from. Phoenix just hoped that clarification wouldn't involve Thanica dying a short time later, either from the executioner or a wound in battle.

Catching Alexander's subtle signalling, Phe still stood by and did nothing while he volunteered to escort Commander Vari. Her place would have to be here, convincing Nate to do the right thing. Something he apparently needed, even if he didn't realize it.

Arengin Union wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Phe's words spoke to Carter, he trusted her enough to know he judgement wasn't skewered of misguided but his own apprehensions kept him from fully embracing such ideas. Even if she was correct that this could be a once in a lifetime chance, a great chance, he knew it could also be a trap, a foolery, a ploy to get them to be actual slaves to new masters. The war was between the Coalition and the Ragon Empire but it seemed that the Command was still dead set on circumventing its rather dubiously aligned allies at any chance it had.

"It could also be a trap hidden as a rather convenient ploy Phe, you know that isn't exclusive to Earth," Carter spoke only loud enough for the Airwomen to hear him. It was then that Kaleso also commented on thew whole circumstance, he seemed to be most unconvinced, that or he was merely considering the options. Carter had never truly deciphered what the Jokari felt, their avian nature and lack of obviously distinct facial expressions made them a hard people to read.

She was disappointed in him, though she kept from vocalizing it. If he had cared to look, however, he would notice the signs of it on her face. Did he forget how she had been reserved as the former captain's personal sex slave? How only the mutiny kept her from suffering that nearly unspeakable fate? She could imagine few people hating Command more than herself. And Nate definitely was not in that number, even if he thought he would be. But a good deal is a good deal, even from a shitty salesperson.

She wanted to spell this out to Nate directly, but before she could, she noticed Mattys, the new blood, speaking with Caz.

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:Mattys Venter
"Anything I can help with here?"

His skills and experience might have come from the bush; but he was nothing if not adaptable.

"Its just as the Captain said, newbie. Workplace disagreement." she interjected. Phe hoped she wouldn't have to shoot him.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 pm

A Schism I

Co-write by Dyelli Beybi, Arengin Union, Nachfolgia, Greenatia, Europa Undivided, Demencia, Bingelia, Kylantha, Terran, Bentus, and Brittaniastan

With the crew scrambling on what had just occurred and confusions and suspicions about loyalties abound, the Erloi task force requested by the Gollar Liason had come in handy to discourage any further incidents. For his part, Carter had tried his best to find the renegade Thanica to no avail on his part unbeknownst to whatever results from Major Caz had come up with. The Dhasaths we're quick and sneaky by nature but also noticeable by allegiance, despite that Thanica had managed to get a hefty heads-up thanks to Alex's efforts and for better or worse she had essentially vanished from the hangar bay as far as Carter himself could deduce. Knowing that it was foolish to keep the ship unguarded for long, Carter and those that had joined him in the search returned to the ship to deal with the still fresh fears of further mutiny.

Carter was unsure of what Caz would do at this point as she had essentially taken over command, with Carter ceding to her authority out of fear for any reprisals to the crew. As the human approached the deck where the Defiance laid he was quick to notice the approach of at least a dozen or so figures dressed in sand-colored uniforms. They reminded him slightly of British uniforms from back on Earth but they bode gear of obvious Command origin. These were certainly not Gollar or of friendly nature as they got closer and encircled the ship.

The sight itself drove Carter on a dash towards the ship, his hand on his holstered blaster and unsure of what was going on.

During the brief respite, Cazryn had retrieved her kit from her quarters. Her weapons were slung across her back, but she slowly drew her rifle at the sight of approaching figures. She reported in once more, "Cazryn to Station Command, it seems we have a squad of Kiel approaching. Ask their ambassador to have them kindly go darken someone else's doorstep."

She stood up, pointing her rifle at the sky but making a point of its visibility. "I think you're lost," she called out. "You've wandered into a Gollar dock, a dock that's currently restricted. I'd advise you to turn back now, I can't guarantee your safety if you don't. Surely you know better than to try anything foolish against a Gollar ship on a Gollar station."

Some of the highlights of her suit flickered with tinges of red, but also hints of yellow appeared as if some part of the Erloi was amused by this situation.

"Ah... what now..." Kaleso peered out of one of the Defiance's viewports, his eyes flickering from grogginess to bewilderment. The ship was being surrounded by a squad of soldiers.

They had weapons of obvious Command make, but those uniforms...

Making a beeline out of the Defiance, he spotted Carter, the human's hand on his unholstered blaster. Quickly, he came towards the captain's side and whispered.

"Those are Dhasath uniform colors..." Kaleso whispered to Carter's ears. "From their old yonder days. Orders?"

Carter wasn't sure what to answer to Kaleso's request for an order, if anything he wasn't certain if his orders were valid at this present time. He merely glanced at Kaleso and with a lowly voice he uttered, "just keep an eye out and no sudden movements."

Mattys trailed behind Carter as the Captain went to confront the sand-colored troopers.

He had pulled his sidearm during his brief journey, and now he let the nine-millimeter rest against his leg.

Obsolete maybe, in the face of the blaster-wielding force, but Mattys was sure it would be enough to keep their heads down if it came to that.

"Come now, we're all friends here... The Concord and all that good stuff," the officer with the red scarf around her neck remarked, pulling herself up to perch on the side of a shipping crate. Thanica, "I'm just here to talk. The others are here to prevent any diplomatic incidents. I would hate for the to be any confusion around my nationality," she added earnestly.

Captain Carter advanced forward, emerging from the other side of the ship and into sight of the mysterious soldiers. He looked over to Caz, her weapons were drawn, and that only raised tensions. The sand uniformed soldier that spoke bad an obviously familiar voice, one that Carter recognized almost immediately as he approached the scene with his arms slightly raise and away from his blaster.

"Thanica," Carter said with a disconcerting voice as he eyed her from head to toes.

"What are you doing?"

Thanica smiled as Carter stepped out, though that quickly faded, "What am I doing?" she looked puzzled, "I escaped from custody, then claimed my Doona'tay citizenship so that I could enjoy the protection of the Provisional Government against any charges of mutiny that might be leveled against me by the Confederacy," she said as if she had expected Carter to anticipate that. She motioned at herself, "I would have been executed, so I did what I needed to do to prevent that. Now I've come back to explain the offer Marshall Vilia has for all of us."

Carter didn't blame her at all, his question had been more of a statement over the frustrating absurdity of the entire situation rather than curiosity of her actions at this given point. He knew the Gollar would've likely imprisoned Thanica at best and set her up for execution at worst though he had expected to curtail that for a more lenient sentence or perhaps none at all if they had been able to deal with this quietly. He felt more powerless now that she stood before them with a platoon of soldiers of a seemingly new Dhasath government which he could only suspect was a Command puppet, it was funny to think back at so long ago and how Thanica had freed him and herself from Command servitude only to return to it rather excitedly so.

With a scoffing shrug Carter road his eyes and crossed his arms, looking at the smaller Thanica. His dark and broody fatigues, combat boots, and shirt contrasted with Thanica's amber-colored attired.

"So what does this Marshall have to offer that's so tempting, you must realize this provisional government is more than likely ran by the Command and not at all an actual thing Thanica?" Carter asked without obvious cynicism.

"Of course it is," Thanica waved a hand dismissively, "They're using us and we're using them. Nobody is going into this with their eyes closed. They have offered us citizenship, a full pardon for past crimes and we've all been offered joint ownership of the ship. Anyone who signs up has been offered land and pensions once the planet is retaken. I'm not saying everyone has to take it, but I made a promise a long time ago that I'd get everyone home. For a lot of them this is a golden opportunity to do that, or at least make something like a home in a new world. Oh, and you can thank Sshalah for this by the way - she was the one they actually wanted on the project, I just look good in leather boots." she paused for a moment before adding, lowering her voice a little to try to avoid her own troops overhearing, "Your people don't want me, Carter. You can go home, and maybe that's what you want to do, but the human Governments see me as a threat or something to be studied. But joining Vilia means we can have a farm on a planet we can call home. That's a real chance at a future. If that's what you want."

Phe stepped up behind and to the side of Carter, speaking loud enough for only him to hear. "Nate, she's right. You know me. I hate Command, even more than you. But a good deal is a good deal, even if the salesman is shitty. You can order everyone back on board, and have Olo lock down the ship until this gets settled, either with words or with blood. You've sat on the fence long enough. Who are you going to side with? The love of your life and two of your closest friends, the people who implicitly recognize you as the captain, or the Gollar liaison who views this ship and everyone on it as her property?"

"I must concur with what she has stated," Kaleso said in turn, slowly pulling up his hood as he whispered to the captain's ear. "Thanica can never come with you to Earth. You know this. We need this pardon, too. Otherwise, we non-human folk will be hunted down once our usefulness has expired..."

Though the mask muffled sound slightly, an audible chuckle could be heard coming from Cazryn. "Well, this is a development. The humans I can understand being so naïve, they are new to the galaxy. But after all your talk of not being able to trust anyone and only looking out for yourself, willingly subjugating yourself to the Command is what you have to show for it? They offer you a golden dream of everything you want, and it doesn't seem the least bit suspicious to you? My people have only been part of the galaxy for a century, and even they know never to trust a promise a Kiel makes you."

She leaned her rifle against her shoulder and she gestured widely with her free hand. "Congratulations, you've become citizens of a slaving government, the same one that you previously escaped from because of how you were treated. You honestly think life will be better the second time around, just because they tell you it will?"

"Well... that's very rude," Thanica replied with a haughty toss of the head, "There are a number of kiellar crew members on the Defiance. I don't find them untrustworthy at all and, naturally, they are included in the offer I spoke of... though citizenship papers are in the name of the New Doona'tay Republic, currently represented by the Provisional Government."

As Thanica and Caz rambled onwards, Carter rocked his head as he listened to Phoenix and Kaleso's plead to him. He trusted them, they were some of the best crew he'd ever run with and he would put his life on their hand as he had many times before. But this time he was not willing to risk it, to risk his freedom and everyone else's for a deal they would so naively trust.

"I'm sorry Phe, Kaleso... but this is something you're being lead into a trap. It's obvious that the Command has a hidden play here, you know it, I know it, and Thanica knows it too, and yet you're still willing to go at it..." the human's eye's were visibly distraught as he knew his words would disappoint more than one person.

"The Gollar aren't perfect, Earth isn't perfect, but I know there's more opportunity there than in becoming servants to the Command. We can have a life on Earth, I know they're not trusty of Andromedans but once we win this war, we can easily prove them that the Dhasath are people just like them. I trust you all, but I don't trust the Command..."

"And you shouldn't. We true Dhasaths never have..." Thesan, the mysterious Dhasath, made himself known with his deep voice easily heard by all around as he exited the Defiance's ramp.

"I, like many Dhasath, experienced first hand the brutality of the Ragons... their sheer will to drive our species to extinguish, and I also experienced the disregard and coldness of the Command, they look at us with disdain and as little else but a nuisance. How convenient that during their time of crisis they offer such a bogus deal when in no other time they bothered to do so." Thesan stepped forward to stand beside Carter, eyeing both the human female and the Jokari corsair feeling nothing but disgust at their turn of allegiance.

"Did they respect Dhasath autonomy when they attacked my companion's safe haven, burning it to the ground because it might have been aiding the Restoration cause? Did they care for our lives when they sent legions of Auxiliaries made up solely of our people to march to their death during the sieges of Orva Prime? And do they seriously care for it now that their lines are shattered by Ragon forces, their domain at threat and then now offering us false hopes that are more likely than not a mere ploy to send us to slaughter!" The Dhasaths voice became much more exalted as he now looked at Thanica with contempt.

"You may naive enough to trust them, but I say you've not lived enough to truly see their colors."

The discussion seemed to go on for ages as words got heavier and so did tensions, time ran out for both groups to find any semblance of understanding. Whatever could happen now was anyone's guess.

Word of what had happened on the bridge, and Thanica’s escape from custody, had spread like wildfire through the crew. An attempted mutiny and a narrowly avoided firefight were not what Saesa had expected to awaken to, and she felt a chill gripping her stomach when she’d heard sounds of a commotion by the loading bay. Arriving to find a stand-off between the strangely uniformed soldiers and Captain Carter, she was surprised to see Thanica reveal herself to be among the ranks. But as the dhasath spoke about the offer that Command had extended to them, Saesa felt conflicting emotions vying for dominance in her chest.

Earlier, when she’d spoken with Mihal, she had derided the notion of signing up as some kind of a second-class citizen for a backwater vassal state. But her initial frustration and anger had subsided as she’d slept, and now Saesa wasn’t so sure. What were her options, realistically? No matter how much she denied it, and no matter how much she wished for it to be otherwise, her efforts to regain her citizenship with Command were going nowhere. And she doubted that the Gollar bureaucracy would think twice before conscripting her for the frontlines in order to bolster their ranks in the meat grinder.

Saesa shuddered at the thought, imagining for a moment waking up one day to find someone like Cazryn standing at her door with a notice of conscription. She imagined having her hair cut down to her scalp and the poorly-fitting uniform that she’d be issued with. Would she get any training before being sent to the front? Or would they just toss her in with whatever other raw recruits they could find, packaged up in a tin can and ready to be served on a platter to the ragon that they were supposed to fight?

“I’m in.”

Saesa’s voice was quiet but audible, and she met Thanica’s gaze. Her lips were pursed into a frown, but she stood with a certain confidence in her decision. Her mind was made up: she didn’t have a place with the Gollar, there was no future for her within that maddening police state. The marshall's offer might not be the ticket back to the old life that she’d been hoping for, but it at least gave her the chance to build something new. She turned her head back to the Captain with a scowl.

“You can continue to say what you will about Command and my kind, Carter. But it’s the Gollar that were the ones that nearly sent us to our deaths on our last mission. They view us as little more than pawns." She paused for a moment before continuing, a newfound conviction entering her voice. "What if it’s time for all of us to just go back home?"

"And you can," Thanica chipped in, "There's a full amnesty on top of the citizenship offer. You can go home now. You don't even need to join the fighting. It's over if you want it to be. I'd love to have you with me but go home if that's what you want. That's your choice... I said I'd get you home."
"I do as I please"

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:52 pm

A Schism II

Co-write by Dyelli Beybi, Arengin Union, Nachfolgia, Greenatia, Europa Undivided, Demencia, Bingelia, Kylantha, Terran, Bentus,

"No shit there's strings attached, Nate. But you know as well as I do that sometimes when you see an obvious trap, you have no option but to set it off anyway. At least when you do that, you're not caught off guard." Phe retorted at Carter's dismissal, ignoring the two Dhasath recruits. "Besides," she whispered, audible only to Carter, "there's something I wanted to talk with you about, but didn't get a chance to before this shitstorm started. Something's going on that affects Earth, and doing this is the only way to find out for sure what it is."

With a raised eyebrow and a perplexed expression, Carter flinched a bit at Phoenix's last sentence. Whatever she meant couldn't justify willingly defecting to the Command or whatever phony government they backed.

"What are you talking about Phe?" He could only ask.

"There's not enough time or privacy here to lay it all out for you. Once we're no longer about to be in a firefight, and once we're in your quarters, you, me, and Thanica, I'll lay it all out for you." she continued, with the same whisper as before.

Vassil watched as the tension grew around them, and as another crew member turned against their Captain. The Dhasath that stood before them came with a promising offer, so they couldn't blame the Kiel for taking it. But, for Vassil, it would never be that simple.

The silver Ke'oi moved toward the group, Thanica's blaster on her waist. "I should have never left that bar," she muttered, before glaring at the woman surrounded by Kiellar troops, "I'm not here for temporary promises when you have so little to offer," she paused, before taking a more bizarre stance with an impossible demand, "Unless you could promise my recognition regardless of what face I wear, I'm standing with our Captain."

Mattys, being the newcomer he was to galactic politics, didn’t voice support for any side. He had no idea which faction of the crew was in the right; or even if any of them were in the right.

But he had learned to not jump into situations like this with a half-assed opinion.

So he stayed silent throughout the exchanges. Slowly tapping the trigger guard of his sidearm as he held it loosely by his leg.

He wasn’t sure which side he would join if it came to blows, but he wanted to be prepared nonetheless.

"I would never ask anyone to take a stance they aren't comfortable with," Thanica assured the crew, "All I'm giving you is a choice. If you want to stay with the Gollar, there is no judgment from me," she paused before repeating, "We are all allies."

Her eyes darted to Saesa, then a subtle motion for her to cross the bay and join Thanica.

“No.”

Aarla’s voice was firm when she spoke up from the gangway, having been watching the exchange in silence and growing frustration. Saesa blinked in surprise at the sound of the girl’s voice, turning to see that she had emerged from the ship behind her. She was scowling at the gathered crew members, the pounding headache from the previous night doing her no favors in the heated confrontation.

“I’m not going back to Command, no matter how you try to sell it.” There was a bitterness in Aarla’s tone, buried anger as her eyes stared daggers into Thanica. Despite what she might have admitted, she felt a stab of betrayal at the other woman’s actions. For all the talk of being part of a crew, and what it meant for them all, the Commander had tossed her aside without a moment of hesitation. Part of Aarla’s anger was directed at the part of her that seemed to have started to even believe that sentiment. “And what even is the point? Why are you all acting like we even have to choose between them?”

The girl gestured behind her to the Defiance.

“We have a ship of our own, and we can look after ourselves just fine! We don’t need the Gollar, or Command, or Earth - so why do you all keep trying to sell yourselves into some kind of servitude?” There was a frustrated passion behind Aarla’s words as she glanced around the room, and she hesitated for a moment before she continued. “But only if we stick together."

"Does this look like a Command uniform?" Thanica gestured at herself and the new, somewhat unfamiliar uniform she was wearing. To kiellar eyes there was something distinctly exotic about it, "I don't have any choice in the matter. You can ask the Captain about that. You, however, can join me, stick with the Gollar or do whatever else you feel you need to do. All I'm giving you is a choice," she repeated, "I'm not like you Aarla. You can bend the laws of time and space to your will. I'm just a dhasath."

"I trust no government, but circumstance dictates otherwise." Kaleso replied, the corsair's steely gaze piercing through Aarla like a lance beam. He spoke lowly, barely being heard by those nearest to him. "The choice is being sent to certain death as one of the countless faceless legions of the Gollar, or the chance of regaining some semblance of freedom under this new republic. A trap is not a trap if one expects it, prepares for it. And, you. New ones."

He turned to Thesan and Cee, arms crossed and his eyes still as somber as ever. "The only reason your race yet survives is the wall of guns that the Kiellar Command has arrayed against our most besmirched enemy. Mine lives on through trickery, deceit, and isolation within the void, ploys you cannot afford when you can barely field a fleet of spaceworthy ships. We voidborne may hide in the shadows. You cannot, not when you are thirty times more reduced than we of the silver sun. As for living just as the crew of the Defiance with no allegiances... we cannot live like that. Not for long. The charges still propped up against us will hunt us down, if we don't die as meatshields for the Gollar first."

As the others responded to Aarla, Phe could only think about how ironic it was for Cazryn to talk about her being naive, when Aarla was being even more naive. Independence, while a worthy goal, was not something the Defiance could attain, at least, not at present. And definitely not without the title to the ship in the hands of its crew. Something only the KC could provide.

As things continued to heat up, Cee had heard the fading disturbances from the outside. Curious as to what it all might be she led Alex out of the Defiance, blaster in her hand as she looked at the human with contempt and now saw the scene outside with utter confusion.

"Aarla," Mihal quietly spoke as he placed an arm on the girl's shoulder from behind. "I don't trust this either, not fully at least," he whispered to her, "But think of the bigger picture here.

" Even if the Gollar would let us go without the support of this provisional government and the Command," he gestured to the assembled Gollar personel in the dock, "Where do you think we'd steal or buy inhibitors if we turned pirate. We've hit a block, and the closest to the Command we can get is this new state. You can condemn yourself to a drawn-out death here, assuming they don't kill us first or take your chances with Vilia's option."

Aarla bristled as she felt Mihal's hand rest on her shoulder. She narrowed her gaze at the man, anger rising in her chest as he didn't support her position. Clenching his fists with stubborn resolve, her frustration only grew as none of the crew seemed to side with her position.

"We'd figure something out, Mihal. That's what we've been doing so far, isn't it? And it's worked out just fine!" Aarla hissed in response. "The Captain is right. We can't trust them, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise."

"Aarla..." Saesa's voice was soft as she looked at the girl with a pained expression, causing the psyker's head to turn. "Mihal's right. This is our best shot at getting your inhibitors. We've got to take things one step at a time."

Aarla was caught off guard by the woman's intervention, but her stubbornness caused her anger to only grow. "Yeah? And I said that I didn't want those inhibitors, anyway." Pulling herself away from Mihal's grip, Aarla twisted herself around to glare at him. "And since when did you start agreeing with her? Since when did you two start talking about me behind my back, huh?"

Gritting her teeth together, Aarla wanted to reach out and punch anything more than she could describe. But as she shifted her gaze between the assembled crew, seeing how they looked at her and each other, and how many of them had already declared their support of Thanica's plan, she felt as if the floor was being pulled out from under her. They weren't a crew anymore at this point. Not really.

"You know what? I'll figure something out." Aarla declared, venom soaking her tone. Turning on her heel, the girl stormed back up the Defiance's ramp, shouldering her way past Saesa as she did so and causing the scientist to nearly fall as she stumbled.

Anja sidled up to Sho'chavuk as Aarla stormed past, disappearing into the bowels of the ship. She latched onto Sho's forearm, shaking him slightly. "What are we going to do..?"

Sho wore a neutral expression on his face. No one knew, but it meant that he was genuinely perplexed. "I.. I don't know.." His whiskers twitched as the gears in his head began to turn. He wished not to have to choose, but he knew he would have to.

Sensing that he was thinking about the matter on hand, Anja tugged on his arm again to get his attention. "I go wherever you go." she jerked her head upwards at him, a Tz'athi gesture of trust.

Sho smiled softly, returning the nod before staring back down the ramp. A loud huff signified his exasperation. There were too many things to consider in making this choice. Thankfully, Khuzme was there to help him out.

"We are warriors, Sho'chavuk. We can carry on fighting, but..." Her eyes slowly shifted to Anja. "Think about her. Is this really the place for her, do you think? She wants to see the homeworld, remember? What if the next time we're sent out on a suicide mission, she doesn't make it back?"

Those words seemed to have quite an impact on both Sho and Anja. The little Tz'ath started to tremble. She wanted to tell Khuzme that she could handle herself and that she wanted to fight alongside the crew... But she knew deep inside that she felt differently.

Sho could see that. So he made up his mind. Knowing that Anja would not willingly go with Thanica without him, he lifted her up onto his shoulders and started down the ramp. Khuzme followed close behind, arms crossed over her chest.

As the three walked slowly past Carter, Sho'chavuk tipped his head slightly to him, and so did Khuzme. A few yards ahead of the human, Sho paused for a moment to look back.

"I do wish to carry on fighting with you, but I wish it to be under our own banner... And I feel that we.. She will have a better chance at a future with the Kiyel than with the Gollar... " And for Sho, that felt like the truth as he thought back to how unforgiving the Gollar were to his kin on Afewag.

"Carter," Thanica pleaded, "Come with me. Most of the crew have seen sense and you don't know Command. You were arrested and ran away. I was a part of it for years. This isn't a trap, there is no evidence it's a trap - you are being paranoid. There will be repercussions from the Gollar for letting most of your crew defect. For once, just for once, try trusting my judgment. If you don't trust me, trust the fact that most of your crew aren't idiots."

His entire being rumbling with a mixture of disappointment, frustration, and distraught Carter couldn't do much at this point to keep the crew united as he realized this was all going nowhere else but as a split as more and more of the old-timers sided with the defection. He didn't blame them, he couldn't say he didn't understand them, but he also simply couldn't agree with them and he most certainly was not about to turn his back on his own principles over what he could sense was a false promise, even if it meant losing a good chunk of the crew. He wanted to walk towards Thanica, embrace her, and join with her and the crew but he knew that was simply not a choice for him. He could at least give them one last piece of mind as he took a deep breath and ran his hand across his beard.

"I won't act like you all don't have a point, hell if it was up to me I'd had jump ship a long time ago and been back home with you Thanica... but this isn't about me, or even you, this is about survival and fighting an enemy that will surely kill us all before we have time to kill each other over what intergalactic state is right or not. As much I'd like for us to go freelance, to join with you all, we must work within the Concord if we want a chance to survive, we must fight with those that share the values for freedom in order to shape a new world for us all, a new universe, and the Command isn't that." He tried to hold up his inner anger as he gained composure and pursing his lips Carter stood firmly as he looked at everyone with a straight face.

"I'm not going to force any of you to stay, you all have a choice just as Thanica said. Maybe the major won't be too keen on that with me but I'm not about to pull a blaster on the people who I've grown to call my brothers and sisters. I know I've made wrong decisions recently, but I know this one isn't... so do whatever you feel is right, but know this..." finally his gaze turned to Thanica directly, his eyes deep and hollow.

"I'm not the one who split the crew up, to begin with or made deals behind anyone's back as we all knew what we were getting into... I trust you Thanica, but I won't trust them..." with that the Captain of a now split crew walked off back towards the docked Defiance that had once held the majority of these renegades. Cee for her part had kept Alex out by blaster point, her expression was one of perplexion at the scene that had unfolded as the Captain glanced at her.

"Let him go..." was all Carter said as his eyes shifted down with obvious sadness within them, but once more never letting it show openly.

"No, Carter," Thanica shook her head emphatically, "You don't trust me and I don't think you ever really have. I asked you not to make me publicly confess what I had been discussing."

She spun on her heels, signaling for everyone to follow her, "Everyone who's coming, follow me now. We do not want to be here when station security arrives."

"I'm sorry, my friend," Kaleso whispered to Carter as he walked past him. "This is for the greater good."

Carter might have noticed that the birdman's voice had an audible crack, one that would betray the conclusion that he was on the verge of tears... or whatever his kind wept. Still, he moved on, seemingly unperturbed.

"To an actual future," he muttered, walking on along with Thanica and the rest of those that chose that path. "... may we be forgiven."

Phe nodded at Thanica's order, but held off, to try and convince Carter one last time. "For the record, Captain, Command is part of the Concord as well. And so is the DPG. Just like you, I was concerned about distracting from the war effort, but the Commodore and the Marshal made an excellent case about why that's not a concern, and for how we could even bring it to a close sooner. I would've told you all this and more if I'd had a chance before the Major's inquisition. We still have a chance to end the war, years before we otherwise might, and to save Earth in the process. It's not too late to settle this before the Gollar arrives."

"I'm sorry Phe, I've made my mind up, go..." was all Carter had to say as he kept his gaze down, his eyes in shadows.

As the crew went their separate ways and Carter stood with his back to Thanica, Sho'chavuk stopped in his tracks. He seemed to say a couple of things before leaving Anja to an annoyed Khuzme and ran back to the ship. A few minutes later he emerged with a large sack filled with who-knows-what. He grinned and waved as he passed Carter a third time...

All Carter and the remaining crew of the The Defiance could do was look onwards as the deserting members of the crew, the people Carter had grown close to, all walked off to a fate unknown to them. The Defiance Crew had finally split off, each group off to their own fates.
"I do as I please"

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Postby Arengin Union » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Aftermath

Co-write by Dyelli Beybi, Arengin Union, Nachfolgia, Greenatia, Bentus.

If there had truly been a low point in his life it most definitely was this. Standing alone within the bridge of the ship where he'd once been held up prisoner Carter wasn't sure what to make of everything that had happened. He wondered about where Thanica and the others were, if they had been double crossed at this point or if they truly were a part of something new. He couldn't know any of it for certain and though every fiber of his self wanted to leave this ship, leave the Gollar and follow that lovely Dhasath wherever she went he knew that was no longer a choice.

"Such is life..." Carter murmured, his arms crossed and his gaze down as through the main viewscreen of the bridge one could see dozens of Gollar troops standing guard, surrounding the ship. Tensions were raised at this point and Carter was uncertain of his future, he kept asking himself if he had made the right choice but life is never quite honest with that regard.

The door to the bridge slid open behind him with an audible hiss. Glancing around the near-empty command deck, Aarla's mouth twitched into a frown at the obvious absence of the majority of the crew. It had been a few hours since the heated exchange that had split the Defiance, but she still felt a stab of anger as she looked out to the security detail that had been posted outside. Ostensibly, the Gollar were there to ensure their protection from any further actions that Command might take, but it was a thinly veiled half-truth. Aarla was certain that their purpose was just as much to prevent anyone else from leaving, as to protect those who remained.

Scoffing as she pulled her gaze from the viewscreen, the girl threw herself into one of the many empty chairs that now filled the bridge. Kicking her feet up at the console that had only recently been most commonly used by their second-in-command, the psyker idly swiveled herself back and forth in her chair.

"So, what now?"

Her voice broke the silence, and Aarla's eyes fell upon Carter as he continued to stare out onto the dock. Her tone was one of boredom, hiding a restless frustration as she wanted to do anything other than continue to sit on her hands.

"I don't know," Carter uttered his gaze stern and his mind uneasy.

"The Gollar may supplement some of the crew now, Cazryn will be watching all of us closely now, I have no idea how Ghom will react. But we still have a mission to do... with or without the others."

Some silence ensued between the psyker and the human, it was clear the both had their apprehensions and personal thoughts to scream out but they held them off. It was then that Carter finally turned his eyes from the viewscreen and to Aarla.

"I know it may not be worth much but... thank you, for sticking by me, even if you don't agree with the Gollar or anything, I appreciate you staying."

Aarla frowned at Carter's response. She still didn't trust the Erloi, even though she had followed the Captain onto what was supposedly her side. The psyker saw little reason to verbalize her displeasure at the lack of an immediate plan of action, though. It was clear from the human's tone that he was still coming to terms with their new situation himself. She instead continued to turn herself back and forth on the officer's chair, keeping her thoughts to herself until the silence was suddenly broken once more. Except this time, it was Carter who spoke up.

Aarla cast a glance towards him, as if trying to ascertain whether he was being genuine.

"Don't mention it."

She eventually said, pulling her gaze back so that it was looking forwards. Aarla hadn't expected Carter to thank her. Or to show any real sign of appreciation, really. She hadn't chosen to stay for his benefit, and yet part of her did feel a certain comfort from his comments. With a sigh, Aarla folded her arms across her chest as she leaned back into her chair.

"So why'd you do it, then?" She asked bluntly. "If sticking by each other is so important, why didn't you stick with the Commander and the others?"

Carter grimaced at the question, but the grimace quickly turned into a faint smile and a chuckle. He tried to think of a logical reasoning, but doing so opened even more questions. It came to a point in which maybe there was no other reason than purely personal.

"Even now I wish I would've taken Thanica's hand and just go with them, but sometimes Aarla we all go through situations where the closest people to us will find themselves on one side and you on the other," Carter tried to be simple in his reasoning but perhaps it wasn't so, "when that happens and you know that they're making a mistake, its your responsibility to stand by your choice, stand by whats right in your heart. I didn't seek out any choice that would split the crew Aarla, they did... but I respect it, even if I don't agree with it."

The humans answer drew no response from Aarla besides a small nod, wasn't much but it was enough for Carter to know that she understood him though if she agreed with him wholly was something only she knew. Another moment of silent ensued between the two, this time it was for a longer time as Carter thought back about what Saesa and Mihal had mentioned. The inhibitors, the only thing that could keep Aarla alive in her natural lifespan, Carter knew it was a touchy subject as she may not even live past 60, something wild but perhaps possible came to him at that second and with little thought he said it.

"You know it might be difficult but I could see about pulling some strings and perhaps getting you those inhibitors..." he was not sure why he'd say that, perhaps it was a sense of responsibility or gratitude for her sticking by him.

A look of surprise flashed across Aarla's face at the mention of the inhibitors. She tensed up, with her first instinct being to snap back at Carter for even bringing them up. She didn't care about the inhibitors. They were another reminder of how the Dolen Telor had controlled her. Her life depended upon them, she was told. She was a danger without them, supposedly. So she had to bow her head and do as she was told to whoever could provide them for her. They were another collar, just less visible.

To hell with that, Aarla had decided. She'd made it this far towards being the master of her own fate. She'd figure something out, inhibitors be damned.

But when she'd expected there to be some catch to follow on from Carter's statement, some 'but' that would reveal the strings attached to his statement, there was nothing. Instead, the Captain seemed to be indicating that they could just be...given.

Aarla didn't offer an immediate response. Her lips were pursed into a frown as she considered it. She'd convinced herself that she could make do without the inhibitor drugs. It was a choice that she'd come to terms with of her own accord. But if there was a way for Carter to get them for her, without tying herself to some new master...

"Do you really believe that?" She eventually asked, cautiousness overshadowing the hint of optimism at the edge of her tone.

Carter nodded with a genuine smile on his face, the girls question was like that of a child being told that the candy from Halloween was all free. It made him feel whole for a moment, a sense that he could help someone's life even if it was small, it was not for anything in return, just selflessness and appreciation.

"I'm sure we can arrange something with the Gollar, hell they owe us at least that much," he chuckled once more while his tired eyes looked at Aarla, his genuine smile not fading.

The Captain's confident optimism was contagious, and Aarla couldn't help but allow a slight smile onto her lips. She risked imagining what things might be like if she had access to her own, reliable supply of inhibitors.

"Yeah, I guess they do." She eventually said, although she couldn't entirely shake the suspicions that clung to her thoughts. It all sounded almost too good to be true. "Why are you helping me? I'm sure there's plenty of other things that the Gollar could offer you, but you'd give up that chance in order to get my inhibitors?"

Carter gave a small flinch at the question, Aarla perplexed her more than anything else in the strange Andromeda galaxy. She was a child soldier, designed for war and with her life truly stolen from her. He couldn't ever say thst didn't exist back on Earth but that was the thing, back on Earth most humans accepted such things as barbaric and inhumane, but in a galaxy where there were no true humans what was even considered humane?

"You are a victim in all of this Aarla, you and countless others. The Command enslaves people and engineers them for war and repression at their leisure and yet the others have the guts to tell me I'm wrong for distrusting their little experiment..." Carter couldn't bear but laugh over the ridiculous prospects but he quickly gained back his focus to the question from Aarla.

"Back on Earth most humans look down on slavery, child soldiers, and depriving people of their chances to live... there's a principle where I'm from, three core things that serve as the foundation of my people; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Maybe that's why I fight in this war despite my own species apprehensions, maybe I'm just crazy, but whatever the Gollar offer me means little, I just want people to be free and able to live free. That's why I didn't stop them from leaving, and that's why I want you to live, you have that right."

Aarla didn't know much about Earth. She'd heard some details from the human members of the crew, but it had never been a topic of particular interest for her. It was one world in a sea of stars, and there'd always been something more important weighing on her mind. But she found her curiosity growing as Carter described his homeworld. Was this really the same Earth that the Commander had feared would lead try to dissect and study her?

"Thank you." Aarla eventually said, with a genuine sincerity.

Aarlas gesture was received with yet another smile from Carter. The two warriors felt a moment of peace and understanding between them, short as it was, it was something for them. Before either could say anything else it was then that the doors of the bridge slid open once more, Dana and Ghom entering while escorted by a pair of Gollar soldiers.

This time Chrichton took the lead. It seemed to be what they did when something delicate had come up, "Captain," she said politely, "There are all kinds of crazy rumours swirling around about a certain member of your crew defecting to Command, with a good percentage of your crew." She pursed her lips, hands on hips, glancing about as if half-expecting crew members to come popping out from their hiding places, "I said 'that can't be right', because you're a soldier and you'd understand what impact letting a whole lot of crew members desert your ship on the eve of a major offensive, might have on the rest of the fleet. So do you want to explain what happened and where your crew are?"

The words from Dana were obvious in their nature, confrontational, shocking, maybe even accusatory. There were a number of things thst could happen on this point, arrests, relieves, maybe even execution but Carter remained firm without showing any fear, however he retained his military professionalism and discipline as well as a respect for Dana as she was his superior and his fate most likely relied on her.

"Yes ma'am. We encountered a problem with the lieutenant circumventing my authority and making a back deal with the Command. Had it not been for Major Cazryn's intervention the ship would've been back on Command hands," Carter paused for a brief moment as he glanced back to Aarla, had they not acted then she'd be back on Command control as a slave.

"I ordered the lieutenant's detainment but certain elements in the crew allowed her to go free. There was a short stand off between the remaining crew and incoming Command sponsored soldiers led by the lieutenant and several crew members defected under offer by a Command sponsored government. I could've tried to force them to stay or apprehend but I found myself outnumbered and outgunned and did not wish to create an incident that would compromise the present Concord on eves of a major offensive as you said. I acted within realm of the tools available to me," Carter once more paused, his reasoning may have been not fully honest but it was best to use logical reasoning with the Gollar than to argue about modalities and ethical principles.

"I would recommend that Confederate high command pursues proper actions against the Command for their conspiracy but I recognize that would endanger the alliance. Regardless, the remaining crew remains ready to partake in the mission and I wish to personally commend Major Cazryn for her assistance..."

Unknown to the people on the bridge, Ra slithered out from the vent in the ceiling. Out of all the things that she had learned about Sky Demon society, the concept of " need to know basis" was not one of them. Secrets did not stay secrets for long while she was on ship.

No one noticed her until her claws clanked against the metal floor.  Standing back at her full height, Ra looked at Carter, her expression was that of sadness. It would be hard for the other to know why. After all, she expressed her feelings that everyone work together, but that did not happen. She remained quiet for a moment before speaking.

" Cheiftain...Metal bird quiet. No more happiness." While short, Carter would understand what she meant and how sad she was.

Dana for her part didn't look too impressed by the explanation, "You should have shot her or handed her over to the correct authorities when you had the chance," she replied, "I understand you had her in custody, then she escaped and came back and caused all this trouble," she shook her head before adding in a slightly conciliatory tone, "Though I appreciate it would be hard to deal with your lover harshly, we cannot be making exceptions for a pretty face."

"I have advised against pursuing a legal challenge against the DPG," Dana continued, glancing sideways at Ghom who it appeared was not entirely convinced by her reasoning, "There is no Intergalactic Law as such, so the dispute would be heard by the Federation based on their interpretation of 'natural law' and I do not have faith that the Federation would find in our favour. Better to try to keep this mutiny quiet." There was another slight pause from the Scot before she added, "Also, Captain, I hope you realise that was not a Kiellar attempt to capture your ship. They have, according to their interpretation of the legal ownership of the vessel, transferred this ship to the DPG as part of an armament treaty."

"What is the Gollar position when it comes to the DPG and whatever treaty they may or may not have?" Carter asked with an unsure expression, he didn't exactly expect the Gollar wouldn't see the facade that the Command was running with the DPG. Within his thoughts he also felt a sense of discomfort and shock at Dana's suggestion that he should've plainly shot Thanica, what kind of solution was that? Dana was the last person he'd come to expect that sort of cold pragmatism from her out of all people.

"The DPG are an obvious Command puppet, but they are operating as and claiming to be a Government-in-exile," Dana explained, reasonably enough, "They have their own passports, their own laws, albeit with no territory to enforce them in and are building a diplomatic corps and military. The Federation is currently inclined to accept them and their claim to the planet; they are well organised and can present a facade of civility and legitimacy."

Carter gave a very small nod at the explanation, he was not sure where this was going. As far as he knew the Commands claim on the ship had ceased long ago as they had operated as independent contractors more than any official alignment. Still he knew the bureaucratic nature of the Gollar and the Confederacy and Concord as a whole so those sort of things always had a loophole.

"Where does that leave me and the rest of the crew as far as the Gollar is concerned?" He asked, his eyes shifting around and eventually falling to the saddened Ra, she seemed to have taken the split rather harshly, more than a few others. The human felt immense dread at promising her a united tribe and failing to deliver such promise as he had failed on so many others.

"Far as I'm concerned they defact surrendered the ship a long time ago," Carter said, his eyes firmly on Dana's own, "and the DPG won't get their hands on this ship, I'll guarantee that," those next words had a slight tone of resentment and were defiant as was the Captain.

"I still have a sizable crew, but we could do with a squad of Confederate troopers sir," Carter answered, "there's also something I wanted to request, I want to know if there's any possibility the Confederacy could acquire or produce psyker inhibitors for ensign Aarla, as you can tell she was under slavery of the Command and requires those inhibitors to live. I am aware itd be a complicated issue but all of us that remained are ready to continue our duty."

Ghom exhaled at the request, but before he was able to say anything, Dana stepped in, "We can look into it, though truth be told I have never heard of 'psycher inhibitors' and have no idea how we can acquire then. Maybe we could try to cut a deal with Command, though it is anyone's guess what they might want in return or if they decide to deny the existence of the project altogether. We will, of course, see what we can do."

"You'll get your squad. Marine detachment reporting to Major Cazryn," Ghom grunted, going back to the original topic.

"Thank you sir, ma'am," was Carter's sole answer, he didn't turn his gaze to Aarla but he hoped she'd take some solace in Dana's response.

"We should be ready to depart for the fleet as soon as the detachment arrives," the human added.

Eventually Dana and Ghom made their exit, leaving Carter and the crew to themselves as the offensive was looming on and now they were several crew short with strangers as backup. Carter remained silent as he let out a deep sigh and turned to face Aarla and Ra once more, he knew Olorosia was listening as well.

"Olorosia, send a call toe everyones comms, we depart as soon as the squad arrives."
"I do as I please"

Nachfolgia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:25 am

The Huntress and the Chieftain

Co-write by Arengin Union and Nachfolgia.

Ra's head hung low as she listened to Carter talk to two people she had never met. From what she could tell, the two were somehow higher in Sky Demon rank than the Chieftain was. Of course, Ra didn't fully understand the concept, but at least knew what it meant.

She waited until the other two were gone before she slowly walked up to Carter. She unhooked her headdress from her hair so the human can get a good look at her eyes. She looked like she was on the verge of tears, something that Carter didn't think was possible for the strong Huntress. Still, she fought the tears back as she spoke with a shaky voice.

" Chieftain...I...I should have...done more. Spoke more.  Friends might...still be here."

Carter's surprised expression turned into an empathetic one as he approached her and softly set his hand on her shoulder. Unlike her first days on the ship she no longer recoiled or flinched at one's light touch as she had come to trust the people around her, at least the people she knew.

"Don't blame yourself for that Ra, life is not about could've, would've, should've. What is is, what could've been is a mystery. What matters now is that we're here and we still have a battle to lead," the Human also struggled to contain the immense sadness his words carried.

"Don't resent anyone for what occurred, everyone took their choices. We're still a tribe, just one going through a struggle."

" But I want know why. Why leave?" Ra said, visibly upset. " My words not reach ears. Still leave, breaking bond. Now I fear they die by other Sky Demons. Bird man, Big Lizard, Chieftain's mate, all go to Mothers before time. I afraid."

Carter struggled to find a way to explain what had happened. He didn't want to paint anyone in a bad light but it was hard not to given how so many had plainly turned their backs on him and the rest of the crew.

"Just like back in the Great Mother there were many tribes and beasts, there are tribes and beasts in the rest of the Greater Mother. They think the bigger tribe, the Command, they offer something better and that's why they left," Carter had a visible grimace trying to contain the contempt he truly felt.

"For now we are still a tribe here Ra. Don't lose hope," the human once more patted the Lustrean on her shoulder before handing her headdress back.

Ra looked down at the headdress for a moment. The metal coating shone dully underneath the fluorescent lighting of the room.

She took it from him and bent down at the waist to flip her hair up over her head. She ran the leather straps under her hair and secured it, positioning the headdress properly. Once secure,  Ra stood back up straight and looked at Carter.

" Sky Demons still confuse me. Sky Demons care for each other, show compassion and seek justice, but can be cruel and destructive. Those from different tribes work together, build great things... but kill those from  own tribe. Betray each other. Sky Demons don't speak mind and reluctant to speak truth. " Ra paused for a second, moving closer to Carter.

" I sense your anger and sadness,  Chieftain. Chieftain strong, but emotion also strong. Chieftain  hurt just like I hurt. Cheiftain worry so much, comfort others, but who will comfort Chieftain in his sadness. "

A faint smile formed im Carters face, his eyes looked at Ra's. Though she was a full fledged warrior, a huntress, and a strong being lost in a strange last she seemed to know more about one's emotions than themselves. It was funny how far she'd come and yet he himself was stuck in a similar place, still lost and confused.

"Don't worry about me Ra, I'll manage. As long as those that remain keep together, we'll manage."

" I pray to the Night Mother, Chieftain's words true. Kil'Ankri words true to Sky Demon tribes. ' Chieftain strong, tribe strong.' "

Ra reached up and grabbed Carter by the back of the head. She brought him closer until his forehead met the forehead of her headdress.

" Be strong, Nathan Carter of Earth Mother. For me, for tribe...ALL of tribe. " The Huntress whispered. It was the first time she had spoken his real name, emphasizing the importance of the message.

His eyes closed and letting out a calm breath Carter felt at peace for a moment. The Lustreans words were not much, but they were enough to give him newfound resilience to do what was right, to continue the fight despite his failures. He knew he had let people down, lost friends, caused others to go through immense pain. He had to do better now, he had to for Ra, Aarla, and the rest, they were all a tribe and they would fight for what was right.

"Thank you, Ra'rannir... thank you," Carter smiled as he set his hand once more on Ra's and gave her a small smile.

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches

Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:39 am

Doona'tay Provisional Government Headquarters
part of the Kiellar Command Embassy Compex

"That stunt you pulled was an unnecessary provocation," Vilia strode alongside his new officer as the pair descended towards the DPG loading bay where their new equipment had been stored, "It will alienate the Gollar, though my instinct is that the Federation will be exasperated but not unsympathetic to your reasoning. Still we can't have more incidents of this sort damaging relations with the other Concord states and jeopardising the invasion."

Thanica glanced across then shook her head, "It won't happen again, Sir. Though if you will pardon me speaking freely, had I secured the participation of Raoul, the other Ragon, I suspect this would have been deemed worth the risk."

"True enough," Vilia inclined his head politely, "Though I do not believe it would be in our interests to press the claim on the ship at this point."

"The ship is less important than the people on it," Thanica replied, "I am somewhat concerned that the Captain appears to be under the influence of 'True Dhasath' extremists. If the Gollar are aligning themselves with them it could be a sign they are attempting to create an alternative Government for the planet."

Vilia made a small vexed sound as they descended from the ramp, "That is problematic, though that group are likely to kill all the Ragons on the planet and exile the former livestock, which is both barbaric and would leave Doona'tay ripe for conquest by any power with a mind to it which would defeat the purpose of setting up a buffer state on the Homeworld to begin with. The Federation are unlikely to look favourably on that."

It had taken Thanica some time to get her head around how the Concord worked. In principle each of the main players got a vote on plans, though in practice the Gollar and Kiellar were constantly trying to outmanoeuvre one-another, forcing the Federation to play mediator. Command's raft of client-states did not get a vote on what the Concord did, which was reasonable considering both how many of them there were and the fact that they would ally with Kiellar interests 90% of the time.

The bay was full of armoured vehicles, mostly the 8 wheeled Samser class Kiellar combat vehicle. Most were the IFV variant with the heavy blast variant, though a few had had the rear opened up to house a mortar. Unlike the Gollar and Federation who expected their soldiers to be able to take down a Ragon individually, the Kiellar relied on soldiers suppressing the Ragons then calling in support from their armoured vehicles or the rocketeers attached to each section. And while a Ragon, particularly one in armour could take quite a few hits from a Command repeating blaster, enough hits in the same spot or one in a vulnerable place would drop them, so the tactic did work...

"Are they for us?" Thanica asked.

Vilia nodded, "That depends on what you mean by 'us', which we will get to in a minute, but yes, they are for the DPG. They have also given us a supply of the old fashioned Inas-Ainlar blasters."

"The ones with the plasma torch attachment?"

Vilia nodded.

"As for you and your people, you may take up a position in the Ministry of Propaganda. Get some photos of you and your Ragon pal to start putting in material we send to the troops," Vilia suggested, "Either that or you could join the invasion."

"Invasion," Thanica replied quickly. The speed of her response earned a raised eyebrow from Vilia so she explained, "I'd like to feel like we've earned our place in this endeavour, not that we are a cynical political creation."

"But my dear, you and your unit are a cynical political creation so that we could prove to the rest of the galaxy, both our soldiers and the other members of the Concord that we are both serious about and capable of working with the Ragons," Vilia remarked with a chuckle.

"Even so, I would prefer to be with the army in the field," Thanica replied.

"Very well, Colonel Vari," Vilia drew himself up. He wore a slight smile that suggested he approved on the attitude, "The Kiellar Army will follow the standard pattern: client Divisions on the Left and Right, two Kiellar Legions in the Centre. The DPG will make up the Right Wing. The Left Wing will be made up of Casteleons. You will take the 22nd Motor-Blaster Battalion reporting to Brigadier Vobha," he paused for a moment before adding, "And Vari... don't screw this up. For symbolic reasons we want dhasath Commanders and most of our people don't have the experience to command a piss-up in a brewery. That being said, if you have been promoted beyond your competence their are non-dhasath who can and will take over. Follow orders, carry them out as best you can and don't be wasteful with the lives of our troops."

"Yes Sir," she answered, fist to heart, the Command salute, "I won't screw this us."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:13 pm

Some time later: DPG Loading Bay
Cowritten by Dyelli Beybi, Europa Undivided, Grenartia and Bingelia

Where the crew discuss how they ended up in a mutiny and another one person joins the DPG.

After the initial rush to get papers processed, uniforms and kit issued and all the other administrative tasks that went along with joining up with a newly formed military, the crew who were now the Command Section of the 22 Motor-Blaster Batallion of the Army of Doona'tay, were finally given some time to catch their breath. Once they were left alone in the staging area, Thanica relaxed somewhat, fidgeting nervously with her hair, "Who'd have thought they could make T'Zath sized uniforms so quickly?" she mused, "I'm still not sure if Sho will wear it or eat it..." she trailed off, her heart not really in the joke.

"Can I ask you folks a serious question?" she asked, "I know I screwed up. I should have been open with Carter about what I was doing right from the start, but I guess I kinda knew how he'd react," she shrugged, "Anyway... when I asked him not to push me on what I was up to until later, would you have waited or made me spill the beans on the spot? I don't know -" she drew her hair back as if planning to tie it into a ponytail, then instead released it and let it fall across her shoulders, "- I guess I'm trying to figure out if I was completely unreasonable. Not that it matters that much now, I suppose."

Kaleso slightly chuckled at the joke about Sho eating clothes. Though just like Thanica, he was very somber at the moment. "If I knew... I would have waited, either way, but when you spoke of the... offer, I found it far too alluring. Dropped charges... that is the one thing many of us need in the long run. That is why I joined. I cannot live on when I'm being constantly hunted."

"No... Though I suppose that's different for Carter," she sighed, glanced around then hopped up to perch on the edge of a crate of blasters, "And to preach to me about how this is a war for survival. Me!" She motioned at herself indignantly, "Does he think I forgot about the possible extinction of my species?"

"I don't know..." Phoenix answered, having been standing in silent contemplation for the last few minutes. "He's always been stubborn as a mule, but never like this." She paused once more, and then continued. "About your other question, honestly, I don't know. Had it not been for Cazryn's inquisition, Carter would've been one of the people I went to for advice. That would've ruined your plan to keep him out of it, but I was unaware of that. And even if I had been aware, I still would've told him because he would have needed to know."

"Once he said he said no, he wouldn't agree to me doing something without his permission I intended to tell him, just not in front of Cazryn... but he insisted," she sighed, sounding frustrated, "Did he not understand? I think it was pretty obvious I was doing something that would land me in hot water, so why make me confess publicly? I keep coming back to the thought that maybe he wanted to have me arrested, but I can't figure out why."

"Maybe he thought it was all explainable without something that would get you in trouble, or that you had a reason he'd agree with." Phe mused.

"He was arrested and beaten by the Command." Kaleso said in turn, shaking off some dust from his coat. "We went through hell just to get him back from it, if you might recall. I would say that he was very... shocked that you would even consider aligning with something that could be seen as a puppet of the Command. And... the heat of the moment may have spurred him on..."

"Maybe it did, but that doesn't explain going in front of our Gollar friend" Mihal added as he lit a cigarette. "If he cares so much about us, there'd be no reason to go in front of her like that. He could have gotten us shot, or worse." Sighing, Mihal shook his head before continuing, "But the gods aren't perfect either, so maybe there is no reason. Not a good one at least, but we made our choice and he made his."

"The dhasath God is!" Thanica chirped with a brief playful grin. It didn't last long. She was clearly very upset but trying not to show it, "I could be bring completely irrational, but I feel since we got to Earth that there's been a bit of a wall between me and him. Could be because I'm an unknown space creature under the eye-catching exterior, or it could be because he feels he has the weight of his world on his shoulders. As for his hatred of Command..." the exasperation was clearly building up again, "We killed Command soldiers! They were hardly going to greet him with flowers and a box of griscol. And again he preached to me about how I can't trust Command. I was a Command pilot for years. He had a couple of run ins and if now the expert! What would the silly dhasath know?"

Thanica made a small annoyed sound, tugging at the scarf she had about her neck before concluding, "But like Mihal said, the matter is finished. I didn't like the way it happened, but it was, in a large part, my fault and I very happy to have you all still with me. Want to take a look at some weapons? That should cheer everyone up a bit!"

"Damn!" Phe exclaimed, suddenly realizing that in the rush to leave the ship, she'd left all of the Earth weapons onboard. The DoD probably wouldn't be too happy about that... "I just realized that I left a lot of ordinance on the Defiance, and my superiors back on Earth are probably gonna rip me a new one over it." she clarified.(edited)

"Really?" Thanica asked, hoping down from the crate she was sitting on and unfastening the clasps and opening the box up and lifting out one of the KC blasters which she promptly tossed to Phe, "Catch!" As PPhe cauight it she added, "Tell them you traded it for one of these and let them have a play with it. They're the old Inas-Ainlar model, but they'll do the job for us and I'm sure your scientists would love to pull apart a direct energy weapon."

"Kiellar weaponry.. Good enough.." Khuzme finally stepped out, looking serious as ever. "Hand me one, would you? Turns out Sho'chavuk brought nothing but food and rubbish from around the station.." She wasn't really too concerned about the question posed earlier. What mattered to her the most was the here and now.

Meanwhile, Anja and Sho'chavuk were not far away. The smaller Tz'ath was tugging on one end of the uniform issued to Sho as he chewed at it, thrashing his head to try and get free of her. She had her foot planted against his side as she yanked this way and that, but it was clear he was not going to let up. So with an exasperated grunt, she let go. She slumped forward and rubbed at her snout as Sho slurped up the stretched out uniform like pasta. He looked rather satisfied.

"Worry not, little one! I am sure they will have more for us. They always do! I simply wanted to sample it this time, for the purpose of.. Err.. Safety! Yes.."

It wasn't long then before he continued sniffing around, and eventually found his way to where the rest of the group were. He was completely unclothed, and Anja followed close behind with his previous garments, a look of defeat etched across her snout, "I tried to get him to wear it. I really did."

"Hah! Typical." Kaleso crouched down to set his eyes upon Anja and Sho'chavuk, and was almost kneeling, in fact. "I understand that your... scales are nearly impervious to the depredations of fire, but you should try it, Sho. Maybe look upon a mirror while doing so. You might even like it."

"It's mostly there so nobody on our side shoots you by accident," Thanica added, "As you might have noticed the AoD is pretty much made up of every species in the galaxy and the units are all jumbled up... Bit like the GDF. This way we know who's who."

"Hmm.. If you say so.." Sho didn't seem too pleased, but being advised by those he perceived to be higher in rank than himself seemed to convince him. He then promptly regurgitated the tattered uniform and walked off, likely to put it on. Anja smiled wryly at the others and followed after.

Thanica glanced across at Kaleso, her eyebrows threatening to climb off her head, "He actually ate it. I was joking..."

The low flapping of wings soon crept into the din of their presence, and the rapping of metallic claws upon the floor would most probably catch their attention. There came in Yare-Lokem, more or less fully healed from the disaster of Kaszhurn, and regal as always. The Sarufi seemed to be rather embarassed at suddenly barging in, and bowed her head. "Sorry. I just heard about what happened, I was... uh... out there, shopping for stuff."

"You missed all the fun," Thanica remarked dryly. She hadn't found it fun. Not one bit, "The short version is I tried to get the ship off the Gollar which blew up in my face and ended with me getting arrested. My fault: I get Carter to leave so he wouldn't get the blame and he got suspicious, but he doesn't like my new friends anyway, so when I escaped and returned with some backup, he refused to come with me."

"Well..." Yare seemed to shrug. "I think I'll come along with you. But really! I can't believe I missed all of the... as you said, fun stuff."

"Maybe you could have talked some sense into our Captain," Thanica sighed, clearly the event was still eating at her, "We all tried... Anyway, there's a light at the end of the tunnel now. We have a future, if we're willing to take it."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse