NATION

PASSWORD

Andromeda Burning (SciFi Char RP|IC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lessoni
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessoni » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:57 pm

In which killers soften
Starring, Raoul and Aarla
Written by Lessoni and Bentus

She was gone. Raoul had turned his back for all of a minute, and she was gone, and this was a problem. He wasn’t sure how she eluded him so well; it wasn’t exactly a large market, but she wasn’t in any of the rows of stalls, or buildings he had to crouch to peer into. He was quite certain he’d given plenty of merchants a scare, staring through their front window, but he didn’t have time to worry about that. Every second Aarla was gone was another second she might end up a massive bureaucratic pain in everyone’s ass.

But his search had finally turned up a clue. A whole heluva lot of grits, something Raoul remembered fairly well her buying. She had been this way, at the very least, might even still be close. If she was… well, he was born a Ragon. He didn’t always love it, but he couldn’t deny it had its perks. He closed his eyes, letting his tongue taste the air, and there it was; he didn’t know Aarla’s scent that well, didn’t have any particular reason to, but the odd blend of races you’d find on the Defiance, their collective scent’s, hung in the air like a perfume. Fading, slightly. Frowning, the ragon tried to determine the direction that she’d left in. It had been a while already, and all the artificial air circulation in the station didn’t particularly help him either. He followed his nose, elbowing (or more accurately kneeing) his way past a couple shoppers, who seemed too wise to protest. He would move along with the scent until it would start to fade, before turning back and retracing his steps until he relocated the correct path. It was an iterative process, but it worked. It led him to a club, the sound of music already there, if faint. He sighed. These places were never built to his size.

It wasn’t, not quite. He had to walk with back bent, ever so slightly, the ceiling being a foot or two shorter than his head. Even worse than this minor humiliation, he’d lost Aarla’s scent. It was a cluster in there, mostly reeking of sadness. Sweat, really, but Raoul assumed anyone dancing in a place like this had demons waiting in the wings, for the song to end. He did, however, have two advantages. Height and fear. The latter hung in the air when eyes locked onto him. He would guess they thought he didn’t notice. He did. His height, on the other hand, wasn’t exactly insubstantial, and looking over the heads of the crowd, he saw one particularly distinct head of pink hair. And it looked like she was having a good time, even had some new friends. And they were heading his way.

Raoul guessed by the state of them that they’d been drinking; that, combined with their general trajectory, was all he needed to know to figure out they were on their way out. It wasn’t hard for him to beat them out the door, simply standing next to the entrance waiting for them. A minute later, they were out, seeming not to notice the looming ragon. Raoul, in an environment a little less chaotic, could see a Kiel with wandering hands next to Aarla. Maybe she’d made more than friends. Raoul didn’t care. He stepped forward, grabbing the comparatively miniscule man before he could go another step, crouching down close enough to blow hot breath down the back of his neck.

“Go. Don’t look back.”

He punctuated his sentence with a long growl, one he’d nearly been unable to get up. It’d been a while since he’d really gotten into character with this.

Aarla had been allowing Ioran to guide her from the club, his arm wrapped around her shoulders as she’d leaned into the embrace. Her cheeks were flushed with colour, although the whole group of kiel were unsteady on their feet at this point, with most of them having paired off for the night. Some drunken giggling and sheepish grins betrayed the young group’s state of mind, and they’d been easily convinced by one of their number’s insistence on trying to see some more of the station’s sights. She’d been enjoying herself, finding that Ioran and his friends’ drink recommendations really had turned her night around. The fact that she had hardly had to pay after the first round made the warm and relaxed feeling in her stomach all the more satisfying.

But then a scaled hand had reached out and firmly planted itself on Ioran’s shoulder, yanking him backwards and pulling him away from Aarla. The young man cried out in surprise, drawing the attention of his friends who were shocked to see the giant reptilian growling over them. They were all fairly recent recruits for the navy, and had all jokingly talked about what it would be like to see their first ragon. None of them had imagined that it would be like this. Ioran was the first to react, despite his own fear and inebriation. Heroically, or foolishly, he tried to place himself between Aarla and the ragon. He was about to tell Aarla to run, knowing that there was little need for her to get wrapped up in whatever this was, when her own voice cut him off.

“Raoul?!”

Having almost forgotten that he’d been accompanying her in the first place, Aarla was nearly as surprised to see the ragon as her new friends. But when the exclamation left her lips, she immediately regretted it.

Ioran stiffened as he turned around, offering Aarla a look of confusion.

“Do you know this ragon?” He asked, the question sounding incredulous to his ears. The girl had been staring daggers at the alien, but she froze as she found herself placed under the gaze of the rest of the group. She hesitated, the thought of lying crossing her mind before she realised that there was little chance of that working in her favour.

“Yes.” She admitted, frustration evident in her tone as she once again scowled at Raoul. “He’s part of my crew. Here to pick me up, I assume.” She paused. She could turn and run. Grab Ioran and just pull him away before Raoul could react. But even Aarla knew that would be foolish. She sighed in defeat. “You should just do what he says.”

“What?” Ioran said, confused as he glanced between the pair. For a few seconds, it looked like he was going to try and argue, but the cold look in Aarla’s eyes stopped the words in his throat. It was a look that he hadn’t seen that entire night, and something about it made him question the person he thought that he’d been meeting. “Alright, yeah. Sure.”

Turning to his friends, he nodded to them as he turned to leave. “Stay safe, I guess. Assuming Aarla really is your name.”

His tone was bitter as he led the group away, and his parting comments caused Aarla’s frown to deepen. She didn’t respond though, not even offering a defence of her own actions as she watched the kiel leave down the next street. There were a few nervous glances from the group as they walked away, the looks of fear and apprehension replacing the smiles and laughter they’d been exchanging so far. Aarla stayed where she was, her mouth pursed into a line until the kiels had all left earshot.

All at once, she rounded on her crewmate.

“What the hell, Raoul!” She was furious, staring daggers at the ragon as if she didn’t notice his intimidating stature. Her words were still slightly slurred, but that did little to mask her anger. “Why did you do that?”

“Depends. Why did you see fit to sneak away?”

“Why does it matter?” Aarla retorted. “It’s not like any of the others needed to be shackled to a chaperone today.” Folding her arms across her chest, her scowl deepened. “And why do you even care? I wasn’t bothering you. Least you could’ve done was return the favour.”

“It matters because your foolishness might’ve created a lot of headaches, so you could wander off and be groped. And I believe that you know fully well why the Gollar requested you be watched.”

The girl’s scowl deepened.

“I can look after myself just fine. And I have everything under control. It’s not like I’m just going to explode.” There was a bitter taste in Aarla’s mouth at Raoul’s latter comment, and she bristled at the implication. “You know what, the Gollar’s rules don’t even make sense. If they were so worried about the station’s safety, maybe they should’ve prevented you and Sshalah from leaving the ship. I can at least fit in when I want to. Meanwhile I couldn’t go a couple steps with you without everyone looking at us like they’d seen a monster.”

“Yes, and everyone sees a monster. Everyone knows the danger I pose, everyone has a hand near the holster, but you? You could leave a trail of bodies here and no one would see it coming. Not until it was too late. And tell me, what exactly did you intend to do about those implants? Hide them all night? Forever?”

Aarla flinched as Raoul gestured towards her implants. Frowning, she adjusted her hat as if to ensure that the horns were still safely hidden from view.

“I’d have figured something out.” She snapped back. “And why do you care? I’m not blind, you know. I saw what you were doing back at the market. Makes it real rich to hear you criticising my choices.”

“I don’t care that you were drinking, or flirting. You’re not a child, regardless of the gloves you’re handled with, my problem is that you didn’t at least tell me. You snuck off, like a child to a party. Did you think I would stop you?”, he asked, frustrated that she didn’t see what she’d done wrong, but remaining level. He was tempted to simply let it go; he lived by a strong code of ‘no harm, no foul’, but this was different. This time it wouldn’t have been just him affected, it would be the ship.

Aarla was caught off guard by the question. Her instinctive reaction was one of suspicion as she narrowed her gaze towards the ragon.

“Well, that’s what you were ordered to do, wasn’t it? It’s what people always do.”

“I was ordered to make sure someone kept an eye on you. Nothing more, nothing less. Someone had an eye on you.”

He paused for a moment, almost hesitant with his next words.

“I don’t like this arrangement any more than you do, you realize? I have better things to do with my time than babysit you, but you weren’t getting off the ship unless I did. I’m not a great reader of people, but people tread lightly around you. Treat you like you need watched. I thought perhaps you’d appreciate a watcher who could care less.”

“Then why did you have to scare off the others?!” Aarla exclaimed, her frustrations bubbling back to the surface as she jabbed a finger towards him. “You could’ve just watched from a distance without barging in. You talk all high-and-mighty, but you sure just act like one of the others - even if they treat you like a menace as well.”

“I could’ve. Maybe I would’ve, if you’d told me what you were doing. All this could’ve been avoided with that simple step. Don’t get angry at me. You’re the one who didn’t take it.”

Despite Raoul’s words, she was angry. Aarla seethed at the ragon’s callous attitude and how he acted like this was all somehow her fault. She didn’t care whether she’d told him her plans or not, and it shouldn’t have mattered. She’d been having a good night, and then all of a sudden he’d shown up and ruined things all over again.

“Fine. If that’s all it would’ve taken, then I’m letting you know now.” She said through gritted teeth. Aarla turned on her feet and began to storm down the street. She wasn’t sure where she was going or what she was planning, but anything would’ve been better than getting lectured to like this. She waved a dismissive hand over her shoulder. “Go bother someone else, or whatever it is you do in your spare time.”

“Wait-”

He knew he couldn’t grab her, restrain her. A Ragon grabbing a defenseless little Kiel would look terrible, and end terrible, but he needed to stop her, had to find something to say-

“The psykers you fought. You knew them, didn’t you?”

Aarla had already started to walk away when Raoul called out to her. She rolled her eyes as he told her to wait, and wasn’t even going to bother to listen to what he had to say until his question caused her to stop in her tracks. She didn’t turn around for a few moments, her scowl deepening as she felt the unwanted twisting in her gut return. Aarla clenched her fists, frustrated that Raoul seemed to be so focused on causing her discomfort.

“Yeah.” When she turned around, Aarla was staring daggers at the ragon. “What has that got to do with any of this?”

“Nothing. I needed you to stop moving, and that was what came to mind, but I am… I know what it is to put down people you might’ve fought alongside. It wasn’t easy, was it?”

Aarla didn’t respond immediately, her expression remaining largely unreadable as the silence stretched out between the pair. Eventually, her gaze shifted away from his.

“It wasn’t difficult, either.” She muttered, trying to present an air of indifference. “They had orders to take me in alive, so they weren’t fighting to kill me. It was stupid of them to hold back though, I thought I’d taught them to be better than that.” There was a brief pause, but now that Aarla had started to talk, the words slipped out of their own accord. “I mean, it’s all their fault. Six-Two should’ve known what I’d planned, since they’d just use him to track me if they could.”

She felt that unwanted feeling rising in her chest once more, and she clenched her fists in frustration.

“He knew I was going to try and kill him, but he was too damn stupid to try and kill me back! He deserved what happened because of that. If he’d fought back properly, then maybe the both of them would still be alive instead of me. And don’t even get me started on Eight-Five. What was she thinking trying to use her powers like that? Even if she’d succeeded, she would’ve killed herself in the process. All because she blamed me for Six-Two being dead.”

Aarla practically spat out the words, her frustrations all bubbling to the surface at once. She was angry. Angry at Raoul for ruining her night. Angry at Eight-Five and Six-Two for not fighting back. And angry at herself for…

For killing the closest things she had to friends.

All at once, the fury left from Aarla’s body. Instead she felt it being replaced by an aching emptiness as the gravity of that last thought reverberated in her skull. She’d killed them. They’d held back because they hadn’t wanted to do the same to her, and because of that, she’d killed them. Her shoulders slumped as she felt the burning of tears in her eyes.

“And because of that, now they’re both gone for good. And I hate that I’m stupid enough to care.”

Realising what she was saying, Aarla immediately bristled once again. She glanced back up to Raoul with a scowl.

“There, I said it. Was that all that you wanted to hear?” She snapped irritably.

Raoul didn’t exactly expect a breakthrough like that, but he could adapt. He’d acted as confidant often enough, after all.

“It’s going to hurt, until you forgive yourself.”

He stepped forward, close enough to lay a hand (closer to a finger) on her shoulder as he crouched down.

“You’re going to think about them all the time, for a long time. You’re mortal, in that way. As am I.”

He paused for a moment.

“I killed my brother. A very long time ago, but for years it burned me, that single question. What if I hadn’t? I killed friends, very good friends, as was demanded of me. Grief, it has a way of holding your heart. Burning it. If you let it, it will subsume you, and destroying it will be tantamount to destroying yourself. Those now gone, they cannot forgive you. Now, you must forgive yourself.”

Surprised at the soft tone coming from the ragon, Aarla didn’t respond at first. She stiffened slightly as his finger rested on her shoulder, but she neither pulled away nor brushed it aside. She studied Raoul’s features, as if cautiously checking whether his words were genuine rather than feigned offerings of understanding.

She remained like that for nearly a minute, not saying anything at all as she mulled over her own thoughts. Until eventually, Aarla took a step closer to the crouching ragon and allowed her head to fall into his shoulder. Her whole body shook with a single sob, and Raoul’s shoulder muffled the sound. Raoul would have felt the dampness of tears from the young psyker, although the sound of her crying was more like jolted snivelling, as if her body wasn’t sure how to actually cry properly. Maybe the alcohol had helped to bring on this behaviour, or maybe it had been Raoul sharing his own personal story, but it was clear that this had been something that she’d been bottling up, maybe without even having realised.

He couldn’t remember the last time he’d been this close to another body without killing it, or trying his best, and for a moment it made him uncomfortable. Especially the tears. But he could sense well that she needed this, need outweighing discomfort, so he let her stay, as long as she might want.

“That you regret it is the greatest sign of something deeper than a warrior. It’s a sign that you can become something more.”
Pebis

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Cazryn of Arabana and Mattys Venter
a collaboration between Demencia and Terrans

Cazryn awoke, her head pounding and her whole body feeling like she'd been in a refrigerator. The normally vibrant glowing markings on her skin were dull. She turned her head slightly too look at Mattys. She tried to snake her way out of the bed without issue, though she didn't know how light of a sleeper the man was.

Mattys was in the dreamless fog that always accompanied his drinking sessions. The first hour after waking wasn’t pleasant, but it beat his normal nightmares.

So Mattys was in a relatively good mood when Zoey began to stir. Mattys reached out in insti-

’Wait. Zoey is dead.’

The jolt of adrenaline cleared the fog from his mind as Mattys startled up and away from the bunk. Mattys’ hands were up and ready for a fight as he looked at his mysterious bed ma-

Mattys noticed two things at once. Cazryn, the purple skinned female, stood near the foot of the bunk with a noticeable lack of clothing. Mattys noticed his own lack of clothing a split second later.

Jumbled memories of alcohol and warmth came to mind as the medic felt his adrenaline recede. Now, it was replaced with an advancing headache and a sense of resignation.

“<This isn’t a dream is it? F*ck!!>”

Caz's head turned sharply back towards the bed at the sound of movement. "Ah, hello again." she said, her top still in her hand. "I don't know much about your kind, but I hope you feel better than I do." She pulled on her top with a slight grin, not mentioning the situation that led to it.

Mattys made sure to ask his next question as delicately as he could.

“What exactly did we do last night?”

Maybe there was some cultural thing about sleeping with a drinking buddy. A slim chance, but a better alternative then what Mattys’ feared.

The Erloi's grin widened to a smile. "If you don't remember, we could reenact it." The markings on her skin brightened slightly at the remark, though she doubted the human would make the connection to her emotional state.

She was slightly curious at Matty's reaction, though he could be playing coy with her.

The medic felt himself stiffen at Caz’s comment. Their state of undress, her grin, hazy memories of Mattys stumbling into her side. The conclusion was obvious even from the first clue.

Mattys’ first thought however turned to the last time he had slept with someone else.

A shelter-half and a post-battle adrenaline dump came to mind. A couple of young kids celebrating surviving. And all he could think about was Zoey.

I’m sorry

Mattys wasn’t sure what he said as he collected his scattered clothes and gear. He was sure he was apologetic as he hurriedly dressed and fled the room.

He couldn’t fall back in alcohol so early on the day. He just needed to find a place to deal with his memories for now.

Cazryn watched Mattys hurry out of the room, now even more curious. She picked up the rest of her things, which were just a couple of knives she'd somehow concealed in her outfit, and also exited the room. The huntress had some tracking to do.

She followed the heat signature left behind, slowly approaching where she believed Mattys fled to. She listened to see if she heard any noises, while also staying back enough to not be noticed.

Mattys' sense of direction was a vague thing at best on the ship. His time time aboard the ship was a limited affair; and it had been a short lived experience as Kaleso showed the medic the spare armory to stow his kit. Then the pair had departed for the bar which apparently led to Mattys sleeping with one of his new crewmates.

Which left Mattys awkwardly roaming the hall; searching for the secondary arm-

'There it is'

Mattys felt a slight sense of relief as he unlocked the hatch and stepped into the room. The medic ignored the rows of unfamiliar weapons, high-tech weapons of the future, and instead beelined for his pile of equipment shoved into the corner. His duffel with his effects was still perched on top of his munitions; abandoned in his haste to get a drink.

He sat on the deck and put his back against a bulkhead with a groan. Mattys then reached over and pulled his duffel onto his lap; rooting through the packed gear and kit till he found his prize.

Mattys pulled out three items from the bag. His machete and combat knife, both still sheathed, and a whet stone. The stone was useless for the molecularly sharpened machete and his knife was sharp enough to shave with.

But he needed therapy at the moment. Something to busy his mind as he drifted back into his memories. The machete on the other hand was there for pure comfort; a familiar weight that propped against his leg. Similar enough to the one that had served him for years.

So that was where Mattys sat. Sharpening a knife while he thought back on lost opportunities and dead friends.
Cazryn found the choice of an armory to be odd. She did feel a small amount of concern, given his reaction to seeing her again. She hoped that it wasn't for a drastic reason.

Mattys wasn't trying to hide himself, not that he likely could hide from and Erloi. Finding him wasn't difficult. She observed him for a little bit, to gauge his intentions. She was unfamiliar with human culture, and sharpening the knife could have had some significance to his people like it did for hers.

After a few silent moments, she spoke. "If you continue sharpening, there won't be much of a blade left." She approached, but maintained distance.

Mattys registered her enter the armory in the back of his mind. He noticed how she kept her distance but decided not to comment on it. When she spoke Mattys finally paused in his work and levered his gaze at her. He examined her for a brief instance before he gave a rueful chuckle and waggled the tip of the blade at her.

"This blade survived after its first owner. A little more sharpening won't kill it." Mattys gave it a few more perfunctory scrapes before he stopped and held it to the light. Satisfied, Mattys went to sheathe it before he paused and regarded his companion.

"Here." Mattys gave a lazy, underhanded lob, hilt first, at Cazryn. He let her examine the knife before he continued.

"I was a kid when I joined up. Was looking for something more then digging a ditch the rest of my life. Didn't know what I was getting into." Mattys paused for another painful chuckle as he unsheathed the machete. He examined the blade in the light, the same way as the knife, before continuing.

"I was in a recon company. Rules were different in recon. Your always at the front, sometimes behind the lines, always fighting. Trying your best to buy a bit of advantage for the army."

Mattys gave an experimental twirl of the machete. It felt off. The grip was familiar, the weight the same; but it sliced through the air in a more effortless matter then his old one. He tried to look at the machete; trying not to stare off into the distance.

"Met Zoey on a ridge. She was a different platoon at first. But the company was retreating; whole battalion of Nami konts on our tail. There were a dozen of us to hold one road; steep drop on one side and cliffs on the other. A winding thing. Total deathtrap."

Mattys trailed off for a minute. Remembering the sweltering heat of the day, the sweat soaking his fatigues. Weapons fired for so long that they had begun to glow. The heat from the burning trucks rising to the ridge.

Caz caught the blade, and brought it up towards her face. Though not exactly in the light, she gazed along its edge.

When Mattys started to talk, either to her or in front of her, she turned her gaze to him. She silently dropped to her knees, keeping the blade on her lap.

She looked at him, and while her expression was one of interest in the tale; she didn't speak as the man seemed to lose himself in thought.

Mattys was lost in his memories. Back on that ridge.

---------
Hugging the dirt as rounds tore up the ridge's lip. Pulling the last grenade from his pouch and lobbing it in a lazy spiral that fell out of sight. The resulting crump of the detonation and the following screams mingling with the others of the battlefield.

Mattys didn't pay any heed. His hands dug into his mag pouches and came up empty. He glanced over at an unmoving first platoon member; perhaps they had spare-

A pair of Nami rifleman mounted the ridge. Their tan fatigues war-torn and with rifles tucked into shoulders. Mattys pulled himself to a knee as he slapped for his sidearm. Their rifles were already swinging and the familiar chatter of automatic fire-

The Namis staggered and fell out of sight; blood sprouting on their chests. Mattys registered the new gunfire and turned to see his savior. She stood his height; helmet missing, pale hair matted with blood and a dirty bandage affixed to her head. A sniper rifle with a bent barrel hung over her shoulder, and a smoking machine pistol sat steady in her grip.

They didn't exchange any words. Mattys had simply scrambled for a half empty carbine still clutched in a dead grip. Then, he shot the next Nami to try and follow his comrades.

-----------
"No idea how we survived. I remember the mortars starting to fall. Then suddenly it was night. Just me and Zoey staggering off the ridge; propping each other up. Got more blood then a slaughterhouse on us. Namis all around us." Mattys paused his remembrance as if pondering a forgotten detail.

"Twelve kilometers. That's how far we dragged each other. Three rivers and one pride of lions." Mattys gave a chuckle at that as he lifted his shirt and showed a series of scars on his right side. Three diagonal slashes mounted above a series of shrapnel scars. "We always laughed bout that. Surviving a pissed off Nami battalion to almost die to oversized cats."

Mattys looked back at Cazryn with a more critical eye now. Trying to gauge her feelings as he continued his long tale.

"That's the kind of kak that sticks with ya. By the time we made it back; we felt we had something." Mattys frowned now. "We started planning, dreaming of what we could do after. But she wanted to wait till after the sh*t settled till we got something more defined. Wasn't supposed to mean anything then. Supposed to make it easier if it happened."

Mattys laughed now as he sheathed the machete and offered it hilt first to Cazryn. An offer to close the distance.

"Lot of good that did, eh bokkie?" He said it with bitter sarcasm this time. "Your the first since her. Been ten years since and I feel like I betrayed her."

Mattys let his head hit the wall this time as he closed his eyes. Then he spoke again.

"Sorry for the speech. No idea how important this kek is to you."

Cazryn eyed the scars with interest. She made a mental note to figure out what a lion was, it'd been the second time in as many days someone had mentioned one to her, and they seemed to leave quite the impression on both men.

She leaned back when he finished speaking. She took the machete from him, and placed in across her lap with the knife. Then she reached under her top, and produced a knife. Its blade was thin, curved at a swooping angle, and made from a light but sturdy metal. The grip, however, did not look as professionally made. It was cruder, a piece of a femur that the metal was inserted into. A casual hunter or cook could recognize it as a boning knife. She placed it on the ground in between them.

"My people, we value the hunt as sacred above all else. Those you hunt with, you all hold equal responsibility to each other. Any one could bring harm or death upon another if they are rash." She took her hand off the knife and placed it back in her lap.

"To hunt with someone is to place ultimate trust in them, as they do you. Many partnerships are formed out of hunts." the Erloi said, offering some form of understanding to Mattys' relationship.

"I am unfamiliar with human customs. In Erloi tradition, the spirits of the clan's dead never leave. They guide us in life, influencing our decisions with their wisdom. We commune with them, and beseech their assistance before we leave. Everything we do is in their honor."

Mattys had picked up Cazryn's knife as she spoke. He gave a few experimental twists of the knife before he examined it in depth. An expertly made blade with what Mattys assumed was a traditional handle for whatever her customs were.

Speaking of customs; Mattys turned his attention back to her as she finished offering her perspective. The medic in turn tilted his head as he pondered her words. After a moment of silence, he gave a nod as he stood and offered her knife back; hilt first.

"Close enough I guess. I always have her with me." He motioned towards the combat knife she still held. There was another pause, an awkward one this time; as Mattys' feeling of betrayal morphed into something akin to awkward relief. He rubbed the back of his neck as he dipped his head and adopted a grin; a sheepish one this time.

"Eh, right. Sorry bout all that. First time in a while since I did... that."
Another pause. "So how about we try to avoid doing that again?"

Mattys squared himself and made eye contact with Cazryn.

"Think you can manage being crewmates?"

Cazryn took back her knife and returned both weapons to Mattys. "If you so choose." She said, standing up. "It is not the method of honoring the past that I would use, but our peoples have different ideals."

She tucked her knife back under her top. "Think of me as you would any other officer." Cazryn commented casually. "Although I do admit that most people were rather unfriendly at first, it was a welcome change of pace."

“Not to worry.” Mattys turned for a brief instant to tuck his weapons back into the duffel. “ Take more then purple skin and big ears to make me unfriendly.”

Straightening, he turned back to Cazryn. He felt better now, talking had helped some, but he knew that there was some heavy stuff he would have to work through. That would have to be another day though. Combat was just around the corner; and Mattys needed to re-focus.

So he attempted an end to the conversation.

“Anyways, should probably change into my work kit. Don’t want to ruin my nice clothes anymore. Eh, bokkie?”

Cazyrn's skin markings flickered a little at the mention of her ears, but she didn't comment. "Well, luckily you arrived after me, had you been here before, I imagine you would feel the same as everyone else does." she said bluntly. "But maybe I am wrong. Hopefully I am."

She took a few steps towards the door before stopping and turning back to Mattys. "If you have need of me in the future, whether it is to talk more or anything else, find me in the XO's quarters." she said. The Erloi then exited the room, leaving Mattys to his privacy.

Mattys for his part only stared at the closed door.

’I just slept with the XO.’

Mattys started to ponder the implications, good and bad, before he decided to drop it. For now. He would deal with it if it became an issue.

For now. He had to don his kit and decide how much would be appropriate to carry around the ship.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon May 17, 2021 2:17 pm

The KC Embassy (Part 1)- Thanica, Aethienn, Sshalah, Mihal, Phoenix
Cowritten by Dyelli Beybi, Harbertia, Bingellia, Grenartia

Where Thanica reveals what the KC are plotting.

Thanica wasn't long gone to the KC Embassy when the comms unit on the Defiance crackled into life, "Sshalah, Raoul, Mihal? Are any of you guys free to help me out for a bit? Turns out that Vilia is on the station and wants to meet right now. If you are able to make it to the KC Embassy now, can you let me know? I'm in their Reception. I've said I don't want to meet without some others from the ship and he wants to talk to a Ragon anyway. Also, if anyone else is free..." she trailed off before declaring, "it's not a secret meeting!"

That served as a prompt for Aethienn who emerged from her quarters within moments of the broadcast wearing a crisp KC uniform and a slightly smug expression and set off down the access ramp. It was almost like she'd been expecting the broadcast and there was a distinct spring in her step today.

Sshalah watched the energetic one as she came out of cargo and onto the ramp slower but not far behind. She was wearing something a little nicer today though where she had gotten it was anyone's guess. It looked formal, almost business like though with some industrial quality. She looked a little unwell as she came up next to Aethienn.

"I'll be happy to go, Thanica," Mihal replied over the comms after a minute or so. It would take him a short time to catch up with the other two at the ramp, having changed into a dark blue monochrome civilian suit. "Do you know anything about the marshal, lieutenant?" he asked as he joined the others.(edited)

"What the hey, I might as well. I've already sent in my reports, I've got nothing better to do." Phoenix said, before following Mihal down the ramp. She had no idea who this Vilia guy was, but as long as it was an open meeting, that wouldn't stop her from going.

Sshalah noticed the Human coming along behind the gathering group, taking note of her preference to follow Mihal. The Human didn't bother her, but Aethienn who was furthest ahead in the group was someone she focused on. With Mihal close to Aethienn and Phoenix close to Mihal it was easy to observe and listen in on the group chatter below her gaze. The bronze colored collar section of Sshalah's attire did make her stand out a bit more to any observing the trek of this diverse gathering.

"He is being sponsored by Command to create a Dhasath client state. His name suggests he is Dhasath. I'd never heard of him - perhaps a political appointment for this project?" Thanica mused over the comms at the group approached. She wasn't being that cagey, despite being in the KC Embassy, "He is particularly interested in the Ragons on the ship."

"Command's sponsoring a Dhasath-run client state, in the middle of a war they can't even win on their own?" Phe asked.

"It'll make more sense when you get here," Thanica replied, finally deciding to be a bit discrete, "It's to do with the next war target and ensuring the justification for the system to be placed in Command hands."

Sshalah looked down at Phoenix as the group approached the KC embassy, "If I had still been under the impression that the first Kiellar-Ragon war had started to save the Dhasaths I would not have questioned this move. But knowing better now I can say that Thanica's truthfulness is appreciated. Likely KC plans to set the new state up for failure and I am expected to play some role in that."

"I wouldn't be too sure," Mihal spoke up "Some of the client states have maintained that arrangement for quite sometime. Though it's best to reserve judgement until we hear what he has to say."

"I share your skepticism, Sshalah, but I agree with Mihal about reserving judgement. We'll hear this Vilia out, and air our concerns after." Phe said.

Sshalah nodded with a somber expression, "You are right in that regard. I find it difficult to trust this, given all that I have experienced. Yet I should not act upon a presumption."

The crew hadn't spent much time around the KC embassy. It was smaller than the Gollar offices, though just as heavily guarded by troopers in black combat armour, though there were another unit with them as well now. These ones wore a lighter, fabric uniform, more like what you saw on Earth or Federation troopers, though with headwraps, that looked a bit like a Tuareg tagelmust, which obscured all but their eyes making it nearly as difficult to tell which species they were.

Thanica was in the entrance foyer, pacing back and forth. It didn't look particularly busy. In fact, she was the only person there apart from a bored looking kiel slouched behind a desk that was separated from the foyer by the telltale shimmer of some kind of shielding system. "Ah, there you are!" Thanica exclaimed as they arrived.

"Shall I tell the Marshall your party are here?" the kiel asked, sounding as bored as he looked.

"Can you give us five minutes?" Thanica asked, getting a shrug in response. She took that as an affirmative, motioning for the others to follow her into the far corner of the room, out of earshot of the person at the desk, "Okay... so the thing I didn't want to say over comms. I'll tell you now but it absolutely cannot be repeated. I'm sure the Gollar will have told Carter anyway... you all okay with staying quiet about this?"

Sshalah looked down at Thanica with an expressionless look upon her blue reptilian face. She didn't respond, her lips tightly closed. Even her tongue didn't stick out in curiosity. Her great form merely serving as a visual blocker to the perception of the Kiel at the desk.

Mihal seemed to relax slightly as he scanned the entourage in lighter clothing after entering the embassy. Many, though not a majority, were a tad too short to likely be Kiels and the headscarf practically identified them as affiliated with the Dhasath. Vilia was, at least in Mihal's mind, who he said he was. "I can be discrete," he answered. "I'll swear to the gods if I need to."(edited)

Thanica waved the comment away, seemingly confident in the crew, "The big offensive they're planning is against Doona'tay. As I understand it it's symbolic as much as strategic. Symbolic because it was the destruction of that planet that heralded the Ragon arrival on the galactic stage, strategic because it's within easy striking distance of Ysier. Well defended, decent port infrastructure but coincidentally a large civilian population. The attack will also, theoretically, prove that the Concord is capable of taking a major Ragon planet. All of this, they hope, will force the Empire to actually negotiate.

"Which leaves the question of what to do about Doona'tay after the war. It's uncomfortably close to Relenar so the KC don't want anyone else to have it. This -" she motioned at one of the guards with the head scarves, "- is a show to create legitimacy in the eyes of the Federation who will, effectively, get the deciding vote on the matter. Which is why we've suddenly become useful to the KC."

"It makes sense, at least" Mihal commented as he turned his attention back to Thanica. "Hopefully overwhelming surprise saves the concord the effort of a drawn out planetary invasion, but it's a shame we had to trade space for time in order to get to this point.

"That said, I think it's best we speak to him now. It's probably best not to keep the Marshal waiting, and he'll probably be able to answer any questions we'll have anyway."

Sshalah's expression became a scowl which she directed towards Thanica as she took up Mihal's lead to head to the Marshal. A scowl was a look she'd never given Thanica before, and her body language was increasingly guarded. Yet still she said no word to anyone.

Phe remained silent. Based on what she'd heard so far, it sounded almost worse than a pointless waste of resources, as she initially suspected. This plan seemed more and more like the Battle of Midway's planning stages from the Japanese perspective. She hoped, for all of their sakes, that the Command's arrogance wasn't blinding it to the significant shortcomings in this plan.

Thanica gave Sshalah a pensive look but didn't say anything further. It was relatively clear she liked the idea, but that was undoubtedly coloured by the fact she was a dhasath along with her undisguised animosity towards the Gollar.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon May 17, 2021 2:37 pm

The KC Embassy (Part 2)- Thanica, Aethienn, Sshalah, Phoenix, Mihal and Alexander
Cowritten by Dyelli Beybi, Harbertia, Grenartia, Bingellia and Dragos Bee

Where the crew meet Marshall Vilia and an old enemy. The dhasath discuss their religion and Vilia explains why the Ragons are important.

A few minutes later they were ushered into a glass-walled back office. It was clear upon entering, that there was some form of sonic barrier in place though you could still see through into the interior. There were two officers inside, one of whom immediately stood up, an amicable smile plastered across very human-looking features. He wore a similar tan coloured uniform to the troopers outside, though without the head-wrap and with a considerable amount of braid. He had dark hair and medium length dark hair streaked with grey, "Ah..." he looked between Phoenix and Thanica, "One of you is Vari, the other is a human?" he asked, but continued without leaving time for an answer, "You are too pale though," he addressed Phoenix, "Particularly the hair. Not unknown but uncommon for a dhasath, which means, probably you." he motioned with both hands at Thanica, before looking up at Sshalah, "Ragon... female... Sshalah?" he asked. Once again though, he didn't wait for confirmation, "Marshall Cneve Vilia," he introduced himself, "The rest of you, I must apologise, I do not know, though please take a seat."

The other officer, this one in a KC uniform, his head hidden behind a metallic mask, had not risen. He had remained seated, his legs crossed, head tilted slightly to one side. His voice was slightly high and nasal and, unusually, he spoke in perfect English, with a slight Oxford accent, "Phoenix Williams, Mihal of Obe and Lieutenant Aethienn of Kiellar Command," he supplied, without giving his own name.

Sshalah still silent though letting her guarded poise down found a place someone her size was able to sit. Her grey and bronze attire with it's airs of business and labour was a contrast to the militant garb of the Command personnel around her. Her expression was no longer cross but sombre in appearance with her eyes focused upon the Dhasath Cneve Vilia, her tongue as it could many times before picked up on the distinct scent-taste in the air. Being at this rather crucial meeting with Phoenix and Aethienn only now began to make her nervous. A feeling she allowed her sombre look to conceal. She'd been brought up for business matters, educated in biology, and a lot was expected of her back home. Of her social training this was the first time in a long time she'd had to be formal. She decided it was best to allow Cneve to keep the floor for now, it was in her mind important for these talks that he feel an advantage as a predator has been permitted into his territory.

Part of Phoenix was surprised at being identified so quickly. Part of her wasn't. "You are correct, Marshal. As is your metallic associate. " she spoke up, before turning to the individual in the mask. "You seem to have me at a disadvantage. You've neglected to mention either my rank or my title, which is kind of disappointing, considering you already seem to know who I am. And your English is not only perfect, but in an oddly familiar accent as well." She conceded to herself that it was plausible someone from off-world could become fluent in English in only a handful of months, and in that particular accent, but still figured that it was as likely as finding a unicorn. Perhaps this individual was some sort of recent defector from Earth? They certainly didn't have the backing of any Earth authority, or they'd not be wearing a KC uniform and would have identified themselves as some sort of liaison or something.

"Your rank is currently that of a Rating in the Gollar navy, although I am not concerned with that particular," the man in the mask replied, his voice slightly high and nasal, "What I am... Well, that is a little more complicated and not that important to this discussion. My name is al Zubi. I hold the rank equivalent of 'Commodore'. I will be a Jordanian national. My accent is from time spent studying in Durham. I hope that is sufficient for you."

Phoenix wasn't entirely satisfied, but this al Zubi had a point. "Your response raises more questions than answers, but you're correct, that we're veering away from the discussion. We should revisit that topic at a later time."

Turning back towards Vilia, she spoke up once more. "Apologies for that slight deviation, Marshal. For the record, you may address me as Doctor. Captain is also acceptable, but I prefer to avoid confusion with Carter or Thanica."

Perhaps it was overly egocentric, but she had earned both of those titles, and felt justified in asserting herself in the matter. Especially since al Zubi was giving Aethienn her due, and had taken the introduction away from Phoenix. It wasn't the first time she had been subtly snubbed, and likely wouldn't be the last, but experience had taught her that a firm, yet non-aggressive stance in reasserting herself usually worked out for the best.

"You may be referred to by whatever word you wish, to feel the respect you desire," al Zubi responded.

For a moment, Mihal followed the discussion through the room after taking the offered seat. The Commodore's introduction had been sufficient for him, and there was a growing though subtle annoyance as a minor faux-pas derailed the discussion from the beginning.

"I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, Marshal Vilia, and I do thank you for allowing me here." Mihal said. "But I don't exactly understand why exactly the crew of a small, semi-independent ship warrants the attention of two flag officers with plans for something much larger than any of us. "

"Politics," Vilia replied simply, "At this point, the outcome of the war is a foregone conclusion. The length of the conflict and loss of life involved are not, but that is a separate matter. I am interested in what comes after. The Ragons on your crew might be extremely useful in helping us rebuild after the war. It might work, it might not, but it is worth the investment. The pay offs would be astronomical if we can find a settlement with the Ragon population where we can coexist. Your ship is a model, in miniature, for that possibility. The other, lesser, matter of interest is the presence of members of my own species with combat experience in the crew... So you tweaked Command's nose? I am not Command, which allows me to overlook previous events."

The Commodore's response felt eerily like he had been reading her mind. She doubted even someone with psionic abilities could manage that feat, though, and decided to ignore it in favor of keeping the discussion on track. "'Foregone conclusion?' That's news to me. Sounds a bit like counting our chickens before they've hatched, especially in light of how Kazshurn went down." Phe noted.

"I would wager the Federation may have tipped the scales in favour of the Concord dramatically, though either of the officers may certainly correct me if I am wrong," Mihal commented. "The Ragon were held back in war of attrition before, and I cannot see how they would win against it again."

Sshalah, who had remained silent as the discussion derailed and then got back into the meat of the matter finally spoke up, "The Empire plays a long game. Our lives are long, and our rate of growth slow. Even with superior armour every lose is felt greater by us. We use more resources, build bigger vessels, and our institutions have greater longevity. Lose sticks with us longer as the next generation comes slowly. I was young during that first war, too young to understand nor grasp anything beyond the lose Mihal. To my family the war was yesterday."

"Sshalah is essentially saying what our planners have indicated," Vilia chipped in, "Ragon soldiers are more than an equal for Concord forces but across the front, we believe that we outnumber them in the vicinity of 10:1. Ragon vessels are more than a match for a comparative size Concord vessel but, conservatively, they will need to destroy 6 ships for each of theirs we destroy to maintain the current balance. The Gollar have argued for a galaxy wide broad offensive aimed at the utter destruction of the Empire. However, Command are, frankly tired of this war and the Federation are not interested in throwing away lives in that manner either. As such the agreement is for a concentrated assault in central sectors aimed at breaking the Ragon lines near Ysier to attempt to force a negotiated peace once it is clear we are capable of pressing on."

"As for that Gollar raid," the Commodore chipped in, "It's failure was the result of a number of decisions stemming from the fact that the Gollar are new to this kind of war. Your transports landed too close to the Ragon batteries with insufficient armour in support, unless you count those bizarrely conceived mecha-Ragons. Your troops were also carrying experimental blasters which failed at crucial moments. Doubtless the Gollar will have dissected the events and learned many lessons. They are not fools, though, perhaps, if the GDF had been willing to accept Command advisers it would have gone differently. This is not, however, the purpose of this discussion. Grand strategy is not going to be influenced by your opinions on it. The Marshall is willing to invest in your crew now, essentially get you out from under the Gollar boot, if you agree to assist with his nation building project. That is our purpose here."

Sshalah nodded towards the Commodore in agreement, "It is my understanding from the Marshal's letter that this nation was intended to be a Dhasath state. From this I gather the presence of my kind was not an initial part of the plans. I will need many assurances before devoting myself to this project." she turned to Vilia, "Marshal, are you prepared to discuss the challenges that come with this endeavour?"

Alexander had been there all along, having taken advantage of the open invite. 'Al Zubi' rubbed him the wrong way, including the fact that the Kiellar would have trusted a human with such deep secrets barely a year or two after their discovery of Earth. Nevertheless, what he had learned from the 'Commodore' and Vilia was... Most interesting. Apparently, the Ragon were logistically outmatched and were not ready for a war of attrition, much like the Germans in World War II, and the Kiellar, in a show of pragmatism, were intending to create a puppet state which included both Ragon and Dhasath, the former which would just be enslaved or slaughtered if not for Sshalah providing another way. So he looked at the Commodore and said, "Mr. Al Zubi, if I may venture a question: How long have you been part of the Command? Surely they wouldn't trust such deep secrets to someone who's only been there as long as they've been in public contact with Earth."

"We are here to discuss the Marshall's proposals," al Zubi responded. It was hard to figure out exactly what his mood was behind the mask, but it was clear he wasn't going to answer personal questions, "My career history is not your concern. Please keep your questions to relevant topics."

Vilia, meanwhile had turned his attention to Sshalah, "I am very happy to discuss the challenges, that is why I have invited you here, though the fact that this Nation-building project is being sold to the galaxy at large as a dhasath State is not actually a reflection of it's true purpose. The reality is that Kiellar Command does not want a Gollar outpost so close to Relenar. It was seen that the greatest claim to legitimacy in the eyes of the Federation would be to promote a dhasath State, supported by Command. There is a necessity for that State to have some 'teeth' militarily but the reality is that if we manage to get 20 million dhasath immigrants in the first decade, we would be lucky; there just aren't enough of us left. Other races have to be involved, if we are to make a self-reliant Planet-State. The simplest solution to that is to allow the civilian Ragon population to remain, though this would require a culture-shift. At the moment what we have on the drawing board is the division of the State into two to three self-Governing Provinces with a Republican Council formed of representatives from all Provinces that is responsible for policies regarding diplomacy, economy, interprovincial relations and anything else the Provinces agree on. Initially the dhasath Province would be responsible for defence, though with plans in place for that to, eventually, become a shared responsibility, once certain milestones in inter-species relations have been met. The State would also be monitored by a Committee with representatives of the Concord to ensure that all parties are acting in good faith.

"The Federation has responded most positively to our proposal to create a State that allows for the integration of ragon settlers. This is, I believe from talking to their negotiators, the key point of favour over the Gollar proposals. I do not pretend this proposal isn't made entirely for Kiellar benefit, but we, which is to say dhasath and ragons who will find themselves in occupied territory, are in a position to capitalise from that provided we can find a way to work together. And whatever their reason, one does not examine a nigjak's teeth."

Alexander listened to Al Zubi and decided to actually do what he said, before piping up, "It might be just me, but I am actually optimistic about this proposed arrangement - A Dhasath-Ragon state will fulfil the national aspirations of the Dhasath, allow the Ragon settlers the right to exist with dignity, and at the same time prompt a potential social revolution in Ragon territory if the state does succeed." He inhaled and exhaled, "Unlikely unions of culture have worked on Earth before - Nation-States have been made from hereditary foes by creating a 'glue' of religion and ideology. While I do not presume to project relations between ethnic groups of humans to different species in another Galaxy entirely - At least not entirely - I think that such a 'glue' can be created and that we of Earth, who still have not emerged from our intra-species division, might help." A thin smile, "Unless of course, I am once again wrong and you already have that part down pat."

"Perhaps," Vilia nodded, "Though my primary concern is with the survival of my people. I am obviously interested to hear what Sshalah has to say - I have never spoken to a Ragon before, but I do not think mixing of the races outside of controlled environments is a good idea to begin with. Respect must be cultivated over generations of being neighbours. At this point, half of the recruits out there -" he waved in the direction of the outer portion of the Embassy, " - would take the first excuse to smash Ragon eggs in front of their parents. I believe that initial complete separation of settlements with a road-map for eventual integration, in some form, is the best option."

Alexander takes courage from not being told to shut up, and says, "While segregation has a stigma on Earth, I believe that in this case, it works, especially if there is a road map to end it." He took a deep breath, shuddering as he did so, "Have you considered a political role for 'Spiritualism' in the hypotethical 'New Doon'atay State'? Nothing so crass as imposing one State Religion - That will always be a deeply flawed approach - but rather a marked preference for spirituality of any kind over radical materialism. From this, in order to catch those who fall through the metaphorical cracks in that ideal, one can then add an overrarching emphasis on 'Symbiosis' and 'symbiotic relationships'." Glancing briefly at Sshalah, Alexander continued, "Basically, the ideal is on different species with different strengths working together under a meta-creed of Spiritual Unity, whether dictated by a Monotheistic Creator God or a Pantheon of Gods or even a vague Pantheistic Force, followed by a view of nature which emphasizes existing symbiotic relationships and webs of life. This view is to be reinforced with an education process from cradle to grave plus a missionary effort plus demonstrations of military and economic success. It's how religions have succeeded in my history before, for good or for ill." And I know full well the ills. I hope I have not damned non-heteronormative folk in the future Dhasath State with my words.

Vilia gave Alexander a blank look before eventually stating, "There is one God and that God is the Maker. We are his chosen people." Thanica nodded in agreement from across the desk, "Others may embrace the Way of the Maker if they so choose. It is as it always has been." Thanica nodded again.

Alexander says, "I am sorry for giving offense."

Vilia shook his head, "I am not offended. This is, as far as the majority of my people are concerned though, the Truth."

The entire conversation thus far annoyed Phe. She hadn't even noticed Alex joining them, though she supposed maybe there was something to that "Phantom Thief" moniker. But now, talk of 'highly encouraging' religious belief rubbed her the wrong way. "Pardon my interruption, but it is possible to achieve stability and unity without imposing or even encouraging religion. In fact, I'm fairly sure the religion angle will divide rather than unite. In my home country, we find unity through shared secular values. Sometimes, things test that unity, but we've ultimately survived so far. But its caused a lot less bloodshed than multiple religions competing for dominance seems to have caused." she interjected.

"The Ragons and other races on the planet may do as they please, but you cannot have a dhasath state of such a nature. That is... incomprehensible." Vilia replied, matter-of-factly.

Thanica took that as her moment to chip in, "You don't understand Phe.. err.. Doctor. What the Marshall says is the truth. We have wandered, hunted and despised for generations, but we know there is a greater plan for us. That is why we don't give into despair. Everything is part of the Marker's plan and eventually this sad time we live in will come to an end. This may not be the time it happens, but it will be so at some point. If the Marshall's plan manifests, this will be seen by many, if not most dhasath as a sign of our redemption and the fulfilment of ancient prophecy. The Marshall is talking about a dhasath province for us, not for humans. We look similar but we aren't the same. What works for you, does not necessarily work for us."

"I'm not saying you should give up your beliefs, and hell, you can believe in it as much as you want. Just don't make believing in it a matter of government policy. Maybe that's a radical idea in Andromeda, but no more radical than what's already being proposed here. I know different species are different, but if Earth history is anything to go by, two or more different religions vying for supremacy only leads to unnecessary bloodshed and instability, and that will make the Marshal's manifestation collapse like a house of cards. And then the Dhasath will be right back at square one." Phe answered. She honestly had no idea what religious beliefs the Ragon had, but there was surely something many of them believed in, and she somehow doubted they'd be very eager to stop believing in that in favor of believing in this Maker Vilia and Thanica spoke of.

"The ragons can believe what they want," Vilia repeated with a slight tightening of his lips, "They can do as they please provided that does not involve harming us. This is why we are talking about separate Provinces. The ragons can follow the ragon way, the dhasath can follow the dhasath way, any other sapient livestock we find on the planet or other species who settle can follow their way, in their own Province."

Alexander nods at that, saying, "That makes sense now."

Sshalah sighed, "While, this string of discussion has answered a few of my unasked questions and it is now my understanding that the Ragon will not have to kneel to the Maker - if they don't wish it- I am still concerned at this discussion carrying on without me. No animosity to you Marshal- as you had tried to give me a stage. I do have a question that will likely impact the plan of eventually unity. The gradual ending of segregation into provinces- and that is- where do Ragon fit in Dhasath cosmology?"

"It is... not quite as simple as that," Vilia replied after a momentary pause, "The League Cult, Way of the Maker, or whatever you want to call it -our majority religion- exists in a constant state of flux. It is a living thing that reflects who we are as a species and what brought us to this place in time; a record of our history as seen through the lens of destiny. At this moment the priests would say you are the agents of the Enemy, though were the behaviour of the Ragon to change towards us, this interpretation would as well, by necessity. Perhaps the priests would interpret this as reconciliation? Redemption? A sign of the maker's will for the whole galaxy reflected in a microcosm? I am not a priest, I can only guess!" he concluded with a shrug.(edited)

Sshalah shook her head, "I don't make sense of- most of that though would it be safe to say that we where created by the Maker?"

Vilia and Thanica both nodded, "We believe the Maker created everything in existence. The Enemy only has the power to twist and pervert. Though, of course, I suspect you don't believe in any of that!" the Marshall supplied with a slight laugh.

"No, not really but I needed to know." Sshalah felt a little out of her element, "I can't really speak for the spiritualist Ragons, I read a little, watched some films and shows- but I can't really tell you where Dhasath actually fit in their believes. To most Ragon your people are prey, or livestock. At most pets. We adopted a position that nature is supreme. Bad things happen when one denies their nature, your people have plagues, they fight among themselves- a few becoming predators themselves to fill our roles. At least, that was the position I held. That, you needed us even if you had not accepted it. But with the Dhasath population how it is, industrialist vs environmentalist on my world, and my interaction with Thanica I can see that the view is flawed."

"And it will have to change if the civilian population on the planet wish to remain after the war," Vilia replied, "And I realise that won't be overnight, which is why were are proposing a two Provinces approach. My hope is they will be content to grudgingly accept the situation to begin with as it is preferable to a Kiellar slave camp or similar. It is surprising what a person is willing to accept if it means survival. Even, I hope, ceding part of a planet to prey species and agreeing to leave them alone."

"That leads me to a question I've been wondering about for the last few minutes. Do you plan on holding any tribunals for any upper echelon Ragon? It seems to me like prosecuting those most complicit would alleviate a lot of the desire to kill most of the Ragon civilians." Phoenix asked.

That suggestion caused Sshalah to grimace and stiffen a little as she sat up in her seat. "You'll need the support of the nobility if you hope to achieve a province. We, Ragon have our own ways of governing. One that's very integrated into our family structure. Power is held at the base by mothers, then by clan matriarchs, and then by those matriarchs who hold land. We are all very related from the base up. Executing the chiefs among us-" she stopped and sighed, "there are very few woman like me Phoenix. All political power rests in the few of us. Such a move could destroy entire clans. Not on that day but in the centuries to come."

"I'm not going to pretend to understand Ragon political structures, but I would like to clarify that I said nothing about executions." Phe responded. "There will almost certainly be a demand for justice to be done, and without it, there will be tensions that will doom this experiment to failure. And that justice can be had without executions."

Vilia shook his head, "No, we are not," he confirmed emphatically, "That sounds like a Gollar idea... From my perspective, we will be relying on the support of whatever Ragon elite are on the planet. We want this to be a partnership of opportunity, not a conquest and occupation. The Ragon population make building this State possible. Conversely, the fact that we want this State means that the Ragon population will not be treated harshly. We benefit from one another. This is also why I want Sshalah involved at this point," he turned slightly to look up at Sshalah, "Just having you, and your absent colleague Raoul, on our team, would allow our propagandists to start to re-frame the way Ragons are portrayed."

"We value familial safety and sustenance." Sshalah said, remnants of her expression from Pheonix's proposal still present but her eyes looking a little hopeful again, "You will need to assure them that without the Empire's supply lines they will still have food, and good food at that. I had to eat Kiellar rations. Even after all this time I can still feel sick in my gut thinking about them. Some funds will have to go into acquiring live stock to replace that which they can no longer use. Most of the Ragon population has never had live meat; most purchase food from grocers or super stores after it's been processed. It doesn't matter what the meat is, so long as it is affordable and sets well with us."

"Perhaps lab-grown meat?" Phe helpfully suggested.

Alexander turned to Sshalah, "You mentioned breeding non-sapient marine mammals back in the Ragon Homeworlds, right? This means that the Ragon do eat non-sapient meat and Earth can provide Doona'tay with that, at least for a provisional period until the Dhasath Client State grows to a point where one planet alone cannot provide it with food. We even have this animal called a camel which is hardy and can survive in a desert planet and breed in large numbers."

He pauses and says, "As it so happens, I have relatives in Australia," Exiles who are part of the Democratic Movement, "Who have a Camel farm and a few thousand camels - Their entire stock can serve as a breeding population in Doon'a'tay once it is liberated." Was that too obvious? Alexander thought.

"I'd have suggested cows. They've been domesticated and bred over the millennia specifically for meat and milk, instead of for transportation, and they do well in the American West, which is quite arid. But I'd still recommend lab-grown meat, since raising cattle just for our own use has a significant impact on climate change." Phoenix responded, and turned towards Sshalah, "You remember that big fancy dinner we had before we rescued Mihal and Aarla? The one with the steaks? That comes from the very same animal. The meat can be lab-grown, as well." She hoped that reminding Sshalah of that dish might convince her the food problem was solvable.

Sshalah responded to Phoenix saying "I, think you would have a hard time marketing the idea of lab grown meat but I did vastly enjoy the steaks. To reiterate any meat will do so long as it sets well with us and steaks certainly qualify. No reason we can't have multiple sources either as eating the same thing over and over again can feel like punishment. The issue I brought up was simply the need to ensure a supply is ready to meet the demands of the population as one doesn't want to know what we Ragon are like when hungry. I, know of two kiels who has seen such on the Defiance. I, wasn't given enough in that cell and with Command sponsoring the state I was worried that the Doona'tay population may suffer the same. Sure I had food but it wasn't enough which is the matter I brought forward. The matriarchs, those leading the clans there, will need assurance that their kin will not starve. With how distant Earth is it's likely the first sources will have to be in the local sector; likely a Kiellar- command source, "She turned to Alexander, looking down at him she said, "An, while minor I would like to clarify that I'm not from Ysier. My home is an ocean world somewhere between here and old Jokari space. Though I appreciate that you have rationalized the fact that we do not need to feed on sentient life. Your camels, whatever they may be, might prove popular."

"To be fair, there were fears about it being a hard sell on Earth as well, but certain groups embraced it enough that commercialization was viable. Especially after some blind taste tests showed people couldn't even tell the difference between lab-grown and traditionally-sourced meat. And that's a fair point about having multiple sources." Phe conceded, remembering a certain potato famine, and imagining how much worse it would be if the same thing happened to the cattle.

"While the Marshall no doubt appreciates the offers and suggestions, we don't need cows, camels, vat grown meat or, in fact, anything from Earth," Tariq put in from across the table, "There are literally hundreds of Kiellar worlds between Doona'tay and the wormhole where we can purchase or requisition livestock, if that proves necessary. The Ragon population isn't going to be left to starve, rest assured of that; we do not want a malcontent, rebellious Ragon population on the planet. That is just about the worst case scenario."

Vilia nodded in agreement with the Commodore before turning back to the Defiance crew, "SShalah, are there any other major concerns that you have? We can roll out the more minor ones in the fullness of time."

"With, the matter of tribunals, food, local though limited autonomy, and spirituality behind us the most pressing matter is a more personal one. I am to have some role in this and if you are expecting the Ragon to listen to me I will need some assets. House Krilin Ruul will need an estate if I am to serve as some intern governor or am to be installed as as duchess or hold any other position. If I have no land, and my home continues to lay in Ragon space- I could be perceived- well I guess, usurper is what I would be in that case- an adventurer out for a title by conquest. I suppose the actually matter is how I would aid in this endeavor of the new state. If, the local aristocracy is to maintain it's position I fear putting me before them would be presenting a traitor. It is a fear I have held for a long time, being unwelcomed. I have been careful not to harm my people, and to avoid partaking in any action against them. This meeting, while for their benefit, is the first move I've made with unwelcomed consequences for them. My safety will not be assured."

"There are two things I would like from you. The first is your participation in our efforts to, show our troops that Ragons don't need to be exterminated and, after the war, to convince your people that we aren't planning to harm them and their best route forward is to work with the new Government, not to fight us." Vilia replied, "The second thing I want is for you to continue having conversations like this with me and the others in the DPG military hierarchy because, frankly, I don't know anything about Ragons." He let that settle in for a moment before switching topics, "As for Government, your opinion on how to best govern the Ragon Province would be greatly appreciated. The overall State will be Governed by a legislature with representatives from all States, though how the Ragon Province might elect or appoint representatives has not been considered. That is for the Ragons to decide."

Sshalah took a moment to think, weighting things out before she said, "You have me. As I have no desire to be part of the planetary siege, I wold like to start interacting with your troops as soon as possible."

"And what of the rest of you?" VIlia asked, "I can offer you the communal ownership of your vessel, amnesty for previous crimes and the protection of citizenship," he paused for a brief moment before explaining, "which is to say, freedom from the Gollar impressment order."

"It is probably worth pointing out that the Gollar will have offered a similar deal to your Captain," Tariq added, "Though their freedom only extends to the humans on the crew.":

Alex says, "I don't like the feeling of betraying the Captain, and as I am human, I need to ask what other attractions this deal has over the hypotethical Gollar offer."

"A pension after the war would be nice as well if either of you can arrange it, though I realize that this state is going to be seperate from the Command," Mihal answered after a moment of thought, not waiting for the boy to get a response.

"For you and the other humans?" Tariq gave a small huff of irritation from behind his mask as he addressed Alex's question, "Nothing. There is a general benefit to your crew, but if your concern is solely for those of your own species, we offer nothing beyond what the Gollar have already."

"As for pensions," Vilia smiled at that one, spreading his arms wide, "That we can do if you wish to accompany Sshalah... ranks appropriate to your role within the Department of Wartime Propaganda and all accompanying salary and pensions. There is a financial benefit and the opportunity to be taken off the firing line, if you wish it."(edited)

Alexander nods and says, "I see." He didn't know how to respond further.

Phe had been sitting in silence since Vilia made his offer. It was tempting. Incredibly so. She wasn't sure what, if anything was going on between herself and Vesia, to say nothing of whether or not Vesia would want to live in this new republic. Or if she herself would want to. And she felt equally drawn back to Earth. Moreover, would she even be able to hold a dual citizenship with a literally alien power? She mulled these things over in her head, before asking a simple question. "Out of curiosity, Marshal, just how classified is this discussion? Its a big decision, and I'd like to seek out some advice before I make it."

"Personally I don't care who you tell, but the Gollar will see this discussion as plotting mutiny, so I would advise discretion," Vilia replied, glancing in Thanica's direction, "I believe that under their law the ringleaders, in this case Vari, would be executed. You are a human. You have a State. The stakes are low for you. Not so for the Andromedans on your crew."

"I've said I want Carter to be onboard with the plan before I agree to it," Thanica put in.

"And I have explained that tying yourself to another like that is only likely to lead to disaster," Tariq added, "The choice is, of course, yours, but we cannot protect you from Gollar law if you do not say 'yes' to our offer."
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Tue May 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Author's note: We will be moving on ahead to the next arc after this post.

Captain Nathan Taylor Carte
The Defiance Bridge

It had been a busy day, as Carter and most of the crew at the bar had finished up and finally made their way to the docked ship, he sorted out the incoming supply shipment, refueling, rearmament and all other amenities courtesy of being impressed into Gollar service. It was for the best that the ship be in its best condition as they would now head back into the fire of war. As he sorted out the dossiers, manifestos and incoming orders through his arm pad, Carter was notified that someone on the bridge wanted to see him. Carter’s eyes lighted up briefly as he finished up on everything as quick as he could, he hand’t expected Thanica to be back so quickly.

Once everything was sorted, the human made his way to the ship’s bridge where he was greeted by Ssthlss of all people, the floating squid had been a rather quiet but useful help all throughout their stay. As the human entered the bridge he was greeted by the Rrlthrr as it floated down from the various terminals up on the deck.

“Salutations Captain, or are you bipedal Homininae say, ‘What is Up’ I have just finished diagnostics, repaired the interior power grid and also ran down with Rabaech on several new modifications. The Ship is ready for prolonged flight once more!” The Rrlthrr expressed with what Carter interpreted as joyous remarks, it was hard to make out what this creature felt.

“Good job Sleeter, go take a breather and tell Rabaech his job is appreciated.” Carter said as he began to take off his service belt while approaching the command seat. His tone was somewhat disappointed but the floating squid took no notice of it.

“Yes Captain, but what is a ‘breather’, I have not heard this expression.” Slsthlss pondered curiously.

“It means to take a rest,” Carter explained with a smile as he set up his belt on one of the control seats. Through the viewscreen of the ship one could see vast multitudes of people of all kinds, busy with their lives in a universe consumed by war.

“Oh I see, will do that then Captain!” Ssthlss said pleasantly as it floated away, much to the human’s amusement.

Taking a seat and letting go of a rather long sigh after a rather long day Carter once more checked his data pad, the incoming orders had arrived. They would have to depart soon which explained why the ship had seen extensive help in its repair from Gollar engineers as well as new supply shipments, it seem as if Ghom wanted the crew out as quickly as it had arrived.

“Alrigh then, no point in beating around it…” Carter said to himself as he activated his pad’s interlink with the crew’s communicators, data pads, and other forms of communication. Carters voice would connect with every crew member either through the ship’s intercom system or their personal electronics as he made the announcement.

]b]“Attention, to all members of the Defiance Crew at Deck 5, report to the ship within 15 hours. We will be departing in 24 hours to join the 15th transport fleet within 24 hours, be at the ready, that is all.”[/b] With that, Carter sat down onto the seat as he looked through the viewscreen with tired eyes, he closed them up as he took in a long rest until they departed, it would likely be his last for a long time.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:48 am

Thanica Vari

Thanica was back in time to hear the order from Carter. So the Gollar wanted them to do supply runs? Well okay. She was curious when he was going to tell the human crew they had the opportunity to get off the ship if they wanted. Did they already know? Didn't matter all that much really, but it had the potential to spark all kinds of ill feeling when it got out. She was pretty annoyed about it herself and she knew that Vilia had been trying to manipulate her when he told her.

Her boots clanked on the metal walkways by the bridge. Put on a happy face... Thanica paused for a brief moment by the door, pushing all the negative emotions down, pulling on a smile as she stepped onto the bridge. Carter looked tired. She doubted her news was going to cheer him up at all, which she felt a small pang of guilt about, but it couldn't be helped right now. She paced over to the console he was seated at, pulling herself up onto it, resting one boot on the edge of his chair familiarly, "Not a great meeting?" she asked, "Turns out Vilia was there when I went to the KC embassy. We met with him. It was productive and I'll tell you all about it. First though," she asked, her voice low and serious, "What is your plan for telling the crew the humans are free to leave but the rest of us aren't? Because the KC reps spilled the beans on that. Sshalah, Mihal, Doctor Phoenix and Alex were all there to talk to Vilia, so you can't keep it a secret from one group or the other. Some humans might want to leave. Some of the others might be getting mutinous."
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Europa Undivided
Minister

Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am

Kaleso Stralbane

"What would you think, mother, father?" Kaleso stood before the mirror in his chambers within the Defiance, staring at his own reflection. Gone was the proud corsair that had only treasure and adventure in mind, the warrior that had once refused to bow to even the psyker lords of his race, damning himself to exile. No longer was he the regal noble that clad himself in the treated pelts of exotic animals and purple robes.

Those were from the dead past.

Remembrance filled the Jokari's mind, back to the cold world of Madnilia, where he was born and raised until the invasion reared its ugly head. And where his life ended, and began again...

"What does it even matter..." Kaleso scoffed to himself, turning away from the mirror to plop down on the cot that he had set for himself. "You're not here anymore."

Sighing, he walked out of the room, strutting along the corridors in an attempt to clear his mind. After grabbing a cup of coffee from the mess, Kaleso headed towards the bridge. He saw Thanica go in first, though, and assumed that Carter was probably just in there too. But then, he heard her speak just before he walked in on them-

"What is your plan for telling the crew the humans are free to leave but the rest of us aren't? Because the KC reps spilled the beans on that. Sshalah, Mihal, Doctor Phoenix and Alex were all there to talk to Vilia, so you can't keep it a secret from one group or the other. Some humans might want to leave. Some of the others might be getting mutinous."

Kaleso waited for her to finish, fidgeting with his watch as he listened to her words. He smelled conspiracy. Certain parts of the crew were already somewhat disconted with how the captain had conducted himself in Kazshurn, and this will make it worse...

Screw it.

Kaleso walked in, just in time for Thanica to finish her piece. Clutching his cup, he sat down on his station, and sipped before speaking.

"Before you ask, yes, I heard everything." Kaleso then sipped another sip. "And I'm likewise concerned with the... thing."

Yare-Lokem

Elsewhere in Beachhead Station, Yare-Lokem was doing screw all. One could say that she was out shopping, getting provisions of her own choosing for the upcoming battle. She had received the message from the captain that they will all be going to the transport fleet soon, and to that, she was a bit excited. Fighting? Again? Ah, what an absolute pleasure.

Still, there was the question of what comes next. Once the Ragon are beaten, what then? Will there be peace and rainbows after that? No, knowing the nature of sentient races, that won't be the case, and it never has been.

Dreams of a Homeworld for the Sarufi and their nearly destroyed sister race, the Alseri had been thrown around the migrant fleets, even before she had been born. But fewer and fewer sought such a glory. After all, many of them, including herself, were now born in space. The Sarufi had learned to embrace their place as eternal sailors the sea of stars, the notion of living on a Homeworld of their own becoming a foreign concept, even. Even she found it strange.

Still, if the Ragon weren't around to make meals out of everyone, maybe, just maybe, that dream will be reignited.

Karesan Morkova

Saessa would return to fetch Aarla for Naiket's examinations. As that all of that went on, Karesan waited outside, taking in the sights of this particular area of the station. Some of the onlookers gave him strange looks, as they weren't used to seeing a Jokari without the wings that had been part of the image that had been painted into the minds of the Andromedans. To them, they were these enigmatic winged ancients with behaviours and psyches that were as unpredictable as a dragon's mood.

He could even hear some of them speak. "Is that one of the Jokari that the Ragons use as livestock?"

"Yes, how tragic."

"I wonder if he was thrown out for being stale."

"I can hear you." Karesan glared at the two that had been gossiping no less than six feet away from him. "Do we have a problem here?" His red eyes pulsed with pent-up fury, staring down the gossipers as they scurried away.

"That's what I thought." Karesan scoffed, taking off his hat and brushing off some dust from the top. "What do I have to do to get some respect from these people..."
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Worldbuilder ~ Filipino ~ Centrist ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: derangedtroglodyte ~ No Ani Anquietas, hic qua videum
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis
“War is cringe." - Moon Tzu, the Art of Peace

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:04 am

Thanica Vari

Europa Undivided wrote:Kaleso Stralbane

Kaleso waited for her to finish, fidgeting with his watch as he listened to her words. He smelled conspiracy. Certain parts of the crew were already somewhat disconted with how the captain had conducted himself in Kazshurn, and this will make it worse...

Screw it.

Kaleso walked in, just in time for Thanica to finish her piece. Clutching his cup, he sat down on his station, and sipped before speaking.

"Before you ask, yes, I heard everything." Kaleso then sipped another sip. "And I'm likewise concerned with the... thing."

"The fact that the Gollar treat us as property but give the humans special treatment because they're courting Earth and the Federation?" Thanica jumped in, supplying her interpretation of what 'thing' Kaleso was referring to. Her eyes had lit up when he entered, almost as if she saw him as a natural ally in whatever argument she was about to put across. The non-humans needed to stick together.

She yawned, stretching her back, before glancing back to Carter, lacing her hands around his neck, "You know I've been going through a bit of a crisis Captain, ever since the Gollar decided to demote me," she didn't say anything about being made to go through an election to even keep the demoted position. It had affected her, brought her to where she was now, but she had already cleared the air with Carter on that one and she didn't want to make him feel bad, "It took a while for me to figure things out for myself, but I think I have now. You... you are a soldier, Captain, but me... I'm a pirate. I'm here for the crew; for you, for Kaleso, for everyone else on this ship. I don't care for any state or ideology, they've never cared for me, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty if that's what needs to be done."

"Why don't you and the other humans resign your commissions with the Gollar and leave the ship for a day. Take a shuttle down to earth. Visit your family. Have one of those 'ice creams'," she suggested softly, "While you're away, we'll sort everything out. Mend the schisms in the crew and put everything back to where it should be." Plausible deniability for Carter and a convenient Dhasath to pin the blame on if the Gollar kicked off.

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:57 pm

Cazryn of Arabana

Cazryn had been heading to the bridge to see how Carter planned on informing the rest of the crew. But it seemed that she was not the first one to arrive, and the conversation had become... interesting. Her ears twitched as she listened in. Some things needed to be dealt with directly, and while Caz had previously been used to instigate a revolt, she'd never been deployed to put one down.

If only she had her gun on her.

She withdrew one of her concealed knives and held it in hand as she kept her arms behind her back. She took a slow step into the room, head held high. "You ride a dangerous line, Vari." she said, her tone almost as much amused as it was cautionary. "Playing both sides, are you? If I'm correct, this would be your third planned 'incident' in a short amount of time, and that's just the ones I know about. Fascinating."

She kept her grip on the knife hidden, in the event someone decided to try something foolish.
Last edited by Demencia on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The United Federation of Terrans
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:16 am

Mattys Venter
Defiance Secondary Armory

Mattys gave a sigh of relief as he finished assembling his "shipboard" uniform and felt the familiar weight of his gear and utility clothes. His pants were new Crye combat pants in ERDL woodland pattern, a dependable favorite of Mattys, bloused into well worn tan patrol boots. His shirt was just a plain tan t-shirt worn under a partially unzipped coyote brown Gortex jacket. Mattys' weapons consisted of his sidearm riding low in a thigh holster now, and his combat knife stowed sheathe on the left thigh.

Now armed and clothed; Mattys left the armory and wen to-

The medic paused as he realized he had no duty station as of yet. He pondered his options. The morning encounter with Caz had done wonders for his hangover and he didn't feel hungry at the moment. The morning encounter also meant he wanted to avoid Cazryn for a little bit; so the bridge was out. Mattys pulled open his pad and cycled through a layout of the Defiance before he found something he could do that would interest him.

The Med Bay was on the third deck. It stood to reason Mattys should acquaint himself with whoever was the ship's doctor or whatever aliens used. Perhaps they used a medicine person.

Mattys allowed himself a chuckle at that mental image as he keyed a hatch and tried to puzzle his way to deck three. Some being that looked like Ra doing a healing dance in high tech surgical suite. Not that Mattys hadn't seen similar types back on Earth work wonders; Mattys found their accomplishments were often outweighed by their devotion to tradition and mysticism that tended to balance on the scales on saved lives.

He shook his head and cut off that line of thinking. The mental image was funny but it offered nothing to him. So Mattys cleared it from his thoughts as he arrived at a hatch that was supposed to lead to the Med Bay. The medic took a fortifying breath and pushed down the slight tinge of a headache before he keyed open the hatch and stepped through.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Āihēemlái "Amlai" Āigàm Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe, M.D.
A Lull in Progress

After some time attending to the many injured from the Battle of Kazshurn, and then the inevitable paperwork, Amlai found herself looking forward to continuing the dedicated study of Aarla’s inhibitors. Though it was still proving a tough nut to crack, even with Saesa’s insights, she was nonetheless enjoying the challenge. It was a grave matter, no doubt, as Aarla’s life and the safety of quite a few others were likely at risk if they could not synthesize more of the medication before she ran out, but rushing it was perhaps even more of a risk, given all of the unknown factors she was working with. It was one of those problems that only time and effort could solve.

She had made some progress in the first-order deformulation process, but she was still having trouble dissolving the results of the centrifuge, as some factors were being rather difficult. Failures were information just as successes were, but it was becoming a bit frustrating, as Amlai was running low on ideas for other solvents to try on the different factors derived from running it all through a centrifuge. As she was nearly finished evaporating away yet another failed solvent, Mattys entered. Looking away from what she was working on, she greeted him with a nod.

“I don’t believe we’ve properly met,” she commented after giving him a quick look up and down.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:36 am

Saesa
The Defiance

Pounding her fist loudly on the closed door, Saesa raised her voice so that her words would carry to the person on the other side.

“Mihal, open up! I know that you’re in there.”

She made no effort to hide her frustration, or her anger. After going out of her way to convince Naiket to look over Aarla and offer her expertise, she’d learned that the girl had been taken off of the ship as if she were some kind of tourist. Irritated that she’d been made to wait for Raoul to return with the psyker, Saesa’s frustration had turned into disbelief when she’d seen the state that Aarla was in. Unsteady on her feet, with her cheeks flushed and the occasional hiccup escaping from her lips, the scientist’s jaw had dropped as she’d recognised the signs.

“Did you know that she went to a club?!”

Taking the inebriated girl to Naiket had been humiliating. The look that the jokari had given her, along with her stern words of consternation had nearly set the scientist’s blood to boiling. She was lucky that Naiket had still been willing to inspect Aarla at all, considering her state. And Saesa counted themselves as being doubly lucky that the sorcerer had been skilled enough to parse the effects of the alcohol from the girl’s actual condition.

Irritated at the lack of an immediate, obvious response, Saesa’s scowl deepened. She slammed her hand against the doorway once again. “Karesan and I found an actual jokari sorcerer to look over her while we were at the station, and I had no choice but to bring her Aarla while she was drunk. Do you have any idea how irresponsible that is? Who knows what could have happened! I thought I told you that we couldn’t afford to take any risks while we’re conserving her medication!”

Truthfully, Saesa knew that she was being too harsh. But she was angry. Coming back to Beachhead only served as a reminder of her own exile, and how dramatically her life had been turned on its head by forces beyond her control. Her work kept her busy, but she’d also done her best to keep her increasingly dire personal straits from the rest of the crew. Aarla getting drunk wasn’t directly his fault, and neither was what Naiket had ended up telling her. But Saesa had to lash out at someone...something. And so here she was, standing outside of her crewmate’s room as she yelled at the top of her lungs.

“Open up, damn it. I need to talk to you.”
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm

Mattys Venter
Med Bay

Mattys looked over the med bay. Taking in the familiar sterile environments and beds, the high tech equipment standing by each, and the plain unfamiliar things that littered the space. So he hadn't noticed the other occupant of the room until they spoke. Mattys was slightly shocked as he turned and covered his surprise with his usual grin while extending a hand.

He hoped his grin covered his second bout of surprise as he took in the speaker. It appeared to be a she, and they had a body reminiscent of a human. In that she had the general layout of limbs, torso and head but the similarities seemed to end there. Tentacle like growths that seemed to be alive, replaced the normal head of hair a human would have. Two pairs of violet eyes scrutinized Mattys with a calculating gleam.

Mattys refocused as he shifted his hand at a slightly downward angle to accommodate their disproportionate height.

"Don't believe we have. Mattys Venter; combat medic. <<Tip of the spear and all that>>" Mattys allowed for a pause as his gaze fall on the being's complicated mix of chemicals, charts and lab equipment. " Should I be worried about that?"
Last edited by The United Federation of Terrans on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

Bingellia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:16 pm

Mihal
Beachhead Markets

Mihal had taken the time to wander through the markets on Beachhead because there had been little time for him to do so the last time he had been on Beachhead. Wandering through the mixed species crowds between the assorted shops and stalls had a way of reminding him of the Command, as Herilla had been a rather cosmopolitan world, which brought feelings of longing for home to the surface that churned with the feelings and opportunities the meeting had brought.

There was naturally an urge to find something for Aarla, and he indulged it this time. The first shop to stop was a clothing shop. While she had never said anything, Mihal assumed she would appreciate having something other than Command fatigues to wear during downtime. Not knowing the psyker's tastes, Mihal bought an assortment of clothes but at least had the sense to try to account for a bit of mix and match from the full outfits, which ranged from distinctly feminine with a slightly traditional bend to more practical unisex attire. Far less practically minded was a necklace that he picked up and had gift-boxed on the way out, but he hoped that she would like it knowing full well he wasn't likely to hear if she truly did.

His second stop to a liquor store was more in character, especially since the time on the paradise world had drained his own personal stocks of alcohol alongside the Defiance's. He very quickly found a suitable rum and wine to replace his own, but he soon found his eye wondering to the higher shelf bottles and found himself baffled by the small assortment of higher end bottles imported from the Command as he approached the counter to check out. Clearly someone was trying to appeal to the diplomatic entourages from the Command. He thought for a moment, before caving and ordered a bottle of liquor and a bottle of wine from Quatona. It would be a lovely surprise for Saesa, at least. As he paid, he couldn't shake the feeling that it really wasn't worth the price, but it gave him something to look forward to after the planned assault.

Now burdened with heavy bags, it was an easy decision to return to the Defiance. As Mihal approached his room, the sounds of banging and Saesa shouting echoed down the hall caught his attention. "Hey, I was still out," he called out to her as he made his way down the rest of the hall. Stopping at the door, he placed one of the bags onto the floor and opened the door to his room. "I'm sorry, we can talk now."
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015

Postby Khasinkonia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:41 pm

More Medics

“I am Doctor Āihēemlái Āigàm Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe, Chief Medical Officer aboard the Defiance, though I don’t expect you to attempt to navigate calling me Doctor Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe by any means. Most Màkmóikjān know me as Amlai,” Amlai responded as she grasped Mattys hand with a relatively weak, careful grip—one which, in tandem with how she did not shake his hand, merely grasping it, indicated that she wasn’t well accustomed to the practice of handshakes and was instead more humouring the human’s foreign sensibilities.

“And no,” she continued as she let go of his hand, “You need not worry about my little chemistry project. I’m just working on deformulating a particularly stubborn medication. In any case, is there anything you need help with?”

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:36 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
More Medics

“I am Doctor Āihēemlái Āigàm Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe, Chief Medical Officer aboard the Defiance, though I don’t expect you to attempt to navigate calling me Doctor Ǒonhētváihěeāivǎakàe by any means. Most Màkmóikjān know me as Amlai,” Amlai responded as she grasped Mattys hand with a relatively weak, careful grip—one which, in tandem with how she did not shake his hand, merely grasping it, indicated that she wasn’t well accustomed to the practice of handshakes and was instead more humouring the human’s foreign sensibilities.

“And no,” she continued as she let go of his hand, “You need not worry about my little chemistry project. I’m just working on deformulating a particularly stubborn medication. In any case, is there anything you need help with?”

Phoenix

Not long after the meeting between Al-Zubi, Marshal Vilia, Thanica, herself, and some of the other crew, Phe decided to get a handle on some errands that needed to be done. One of these involved visiting the medbay. Stepping inside, she realized Amlai was dealing with some other issues.

"Oh, I'm sorry Doctor. I didn't mean to intrude, I just needed to pick up some refills for my Estradiol and Spironolactone. But I couldn't help overhearing your problem. I've got a degree in chemistry, is there anything I can do to help?" she explained-offered. At this point, she noticed a man she didn't recognize. "I take it you're the new blood?"
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:48 pm

Mattys Venter
Med Bay

Mattys pulled his hand from the perfunctory shake and gave a brief thought to Dr Amlai's grip. Was that the typical strength of her species? Was she unsure of the custom? Was she trying top be gentle? Mattys shook away those thoughts.

'For another time.'

The medic turned his attention back to the doctor as she reassured him that her project wasn't some sort of.... Whatever the worst case scenario was for an alien doctor on a converted prison ship.

Khasinkonia wrote:“ In any case, is there anything you need help with?”

Mattys was about to answer when the door opened and a human entered. At least, Mattys believed she was a human; she had blonde hair, fair skin and lacked any of the obvious features some of the other species sported. Then she spoke English with an American accent and put that particular doubt down. She offered up some help to Dr Amlai that Mattys wondered as to the possible usefulness of.

Mattys after all knew his skill-set was only useful because the skills of a medic focused more on stabilizing then curing. A tourniquet and a pressure dressing didn't care if you were alien or not. Perhaps he would have to pick up a few niche supplies for some of the other crew; but the principle was the same.

Grenartia wrote: "I take it you're the new blood?"

He was pulled from his thoughts as the new arrival turned their attention to him. The medic responded by deepening his grin and sticking his hand out again.

"Don't feel like a new anything, eh?" Mattys gave a small chuckle. " Sorry, Mattys Venter. Here by way of South Africa."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanica Vari

Demencia wrote:
Cazryn of Arabana

Cazryn had been heading to the bridge to see how Carter planned on informing the rest of the crew. But it seemed that she was not the first one to arrive, and the conversation had become... interesting. Her ears twitched as she listened in. Some things needed to be dealt with directly, and while Caz had previously been used to instigate a revolt, she'd never been deployed to put one down.

If only she had her gun on her.

She withdrew one of her concealed knives and held it in hand as she kept her arms behind her back. She took a slow step into the room, head held high. "You ride a dangerous line, Vari." she said, her tone almost as much amused as it was cautionary. "Playing both sides, are you? If I'm correct, this would be your third planned 'incident' in a short amount of time, and that's just the ones I know about. Fascinating."

She kept her grip on the knife hidden, in the event someone decided to try something foolish.

Thanica didn't look remotely embarrassed or ashamed of what had been overheard. "Me playing both sides?" she motioned at herself with a look of wide eyed surprise, "No, I'm not playing anyone. Plenty of people are playing me and I'm just trying to make the most of the situation," she said, without admitting to anything.

She shrugged again, "It's not like dhasath get that many opportunities... unless you count the many, many opportunities for us to die. I'd be a fool not to at least take a look at it if something did come along. Patriotism is great and all, but it doesn't put food on the table when you have none," she added, continuing to dance around the point.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 pm

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:Mattys Venter
Med Bay

Grenartia wrote: "I take it you're the new blood?"

He was pulled from his thoughts as the new arrival turned their attention to him. The medic responded by deepening his grin and sticking his hand out again.

"Don't feel like a new anything, eh?" Mattys gave a small chuckle. " Sorry, Mattys Venter. Here by way of South Africa."

"Phoenix Williams. I'm one of the Defiance's midshipmen. I also moonlight as medic, US liason officer, and rarely, scientist. Pleased to meet you." she replied with a smile and taking Mattys' hand and shaking it. "Got a particular job title you're signing up for?" Phe inquired. She listed her jobs, so it only made sense to ask about his.
Last edited by Grenartia on Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:02 pm

A cowrite between Bingelly and Bentus.
Mihal and Saesa
The Defiance

Saesa jumped as Mihal appeared behind her. Turning around, she saw that he was carrying some shopping bags, clearly having just returned from some time at the station’s markets. Collecting herself quickly, the scientist furrowed her brow as she jabbed an accusatory finger towards the other kiel.

“You were supposed to be keeping an eye on Aarla, Mihal. I managed to find a jokari sorcerer onboard, and she was willing to take a look at her. Unfortunately, I hadn’t expected that Aarla would’ve spent the whole day drinking.” Saesa’s gaze narrowed, her anger driven in part by her own embarrassment. “You should’ve seen the look that the jokari gave me! I’m meant to be an expert in my field, and I brought her an inebriated psyker! How do you think that makes me look? Not to mention the risks of leaving Aarla alone like that.”

Mihal was seemingly stunned for a moment as he listened to Saesa’s retelling of the events earlier that day. A frown started to form on the man’s face and he was clearly caught on the backfoot by her tone, especially since he had left the ship before Aarla had. However, the more diplomatic side of him quickly won out however, as the weight in his arms quickly reminded him of what he had bought.

“I’m sorry and I understand you’re upset. I would be furious if she sneaked out to get drunk if I was there too, but I was at a meeting at the Command embassy today,” he answered gently. “I had nothing to do with her slipping away from the ship. If still want to talk,” He gestured to through the open door. “Let’s do it in private.”

Saesa blinked, curiosity and confusion mixing on her features. “You had a meeting at the embassy?” She asked. “What for?” Despite her best intentions, she felt a slight twist of apprehension in her stomach. Mihal could’ve been meeting with Command for any number of things, good or bad. Had her own relationship with their old home come up? Had it even crossed his mind.

“Right.” She eventually answered, reigning in her thoughts as she calmed down from her earlier outburst. “You’re right. I didn’t mean to lash out at you, there’s just been a lot keeping me busy lately. I feel like I’m taking a step back for every two steps forward.” Stepping into the room with a sigh, Saesa sat down in a free chair.

Quietly, Mihal closed the door behind them as the pair entered. “It’s been tough, for all of us,” he replied as he sat the bags on the floor next to his bed. “I appreciate you trying very much, regardless of if our gamble to get her inhibitors independent from the army works or not.”

He chuckled faintly as he took a seat on his bed, “But I suppose you are interested in the meeting at the embassy. Marshall Vilia, a dhasath, has convinced the Junta to make a client state for the Dhasath if his gamble to end the war works. More importantly for us, he’s offering amnesty and citizenship if we work with him.”

“Amnesty?” Saesa repeated, surprised at the revelation. She didn’t immediately acknowledge Mihal’s comments about the inhibitor, although she felt a twist in her gut as she realised that she couldn’t hide what she’d learned from Naiket from him forever. But perhaps she could afford to keep him in the dark for just a little be longer. “That sounds...really good for everyone!” She said, forcing a smile on her features.

Truthfully, her initial feeling was one of disappointment. Amnesty was not the same as being found innocent. Nor was citizenship of a mere client state equivalent to her previous position within Command. But she bitterly knew that she wasn’t in a position to expect anything better - and neither were the rest of the crew.

“The Captain accepted, I presume? We’re already fighting for Command anyway, and this seems like the best outcome for all of the crew. Even those with some anti-Command sentiments.”

“Carter was not there, and I think he was paying our benefactors in the Confederacy a visit” Mihal answered, his tone was clearly sarcastic.. “Thanica was the contacted about it through our attache from that commodore, and yes, if you ask me, almost anything is better than remaining pressed into Gollar service”

“Obviously.” Saesa stated, nodding in agreement even though Mihal’s comment concerned her. She glanced towards him. “The Captain does know about the offer though, right?”

She didn’t say it out loud, but the implication was clear behind her words. If Thanica was the one contacted, then the Marshal had deliberately sought to go around Carter. More than that, they had specifically sought out the crewmember that had the most leverage over the human. Even if Saesa thought that the offer would be best for the crew, there was no denying the suspicious nature of the offer, as if it had been deliberately framed to prod at the still open divisions among the crew after the recent leadership vote.

“Honestly, I do not know. I haven’t told him, and I do not know if Thanica has, but I suppose the commodore and the marshall concluded that he’d flatly reject the offer if he had received it.”

“They may not have been wrong.” Saesa commented, her lips pursed into a frown. While Carter had earned himself a reputation as a fine military commander, even she could see that some of his recent actions felt increasingly vindictive. His refusal to trust Command, even now that they were allies, was the surest indicator of that.

Seeking to change the subject, Saesa gestured towards the bags that Mihal had set down at his feet. “So what did you find in the market? I didn’t have the chance to go there myself, unfortunately.
“Well, I went clothes shopping for Aarla. She should have a few outfits besides her uniform now.” Mihal chuckled once more as he gestured to the wide bag on the floor, “I think I picked out some decent outfits, but I’ve never bought clothing for a woman whose tastes I don’t know.”

When Mihal raised the smaller and lighter bag, Saesa could the sound of glass bottles clinking together. “I also replenished my private stock. You wouldn’t believe some of the imported bottles I was able to find here, but I guess the owner was trying to appeal to the diplomatic staff. It gives me something to look forward to if we make it out of this.”

Saesa chuckled, shaking her head in amusement. “Of course. I should have expected that would’ve been at the top of your list.” Sighing, her shoulders slumped slightly as she felt the weight of the past few weeks. “Heaven’s know I could use a stash of my own at this point.”

“The thought of that had actually crossed my mind,” Mihal stated as he reached into the bag of bottles. Perhaps it wasn’t entirely the truth, but Saesa didn’t need to know that as he produced the bottle of wine from Quatona and leaned forward to offer it to the woman. “This is one of the bottles I was able to find. I was hoping to surprise you with it later, but I think I would like you to have it now.”

Now Saesa really was caught off guard.

“Really?” She asked, her eyes widening as she looked at the offered bottle. For a moment, she hesitated as she felt some guilt over initially coming here to yell and berate the man. Sheepishly, she eventually reached out and took the wine. Looking over the label, she had to stop and re-read it in disbelief.

“Mihal...this is from my homeworld.” She said. And it wasn’t a cheap vintage either, not by a long shot. Saesa was left stunned, realising that the last time she had held something from Quatona was from months even before she’d first boarded the Defiance.

“I listen more than I let on sometimes, Saesa,” Mihal replied, rubbing the side of his neck. “Those stories we shared of home on that paradise world were nice.”

A soft smile spread itself on the scientist’s features as she felt a warm sensation at the gesture.

“Sheesh, look what you’ve done now.” She muttered, wiping away the slightest hint of a tear from one of her eyes, feeling silly at the sudden display of emotion. “Thank you, Mihal. This really means a lot.” Her reaction might have come as a shock to the man, and so Saesa quickly glanced around the room to try and keep the conversation moving. “Do you have any glasses? I say: why wait until after this next mission!”

“I do,” Mihal answered, “in one of the footlockers.” He moved over, then bent over to open it and retrieve the glasses. “There’s a cork-screw in one of my desk drawers,” he added as he glanced back over to Saesa, “if you could get it for me.”
“Sure.”

Pulling open the drawer, Saesa was met with a fairly haphazard assortment of odds-and-ends that looked like they’d been kept there since they’d had nowhere else to go. After a moment, she spotted the cork-screw and began to open the bottle. It took her a moment, but with a bit of effort she was able to break the seal with a satisfying pop from the wine. Smiling as she smelled the sweet aroma coming from the drink, Saesa gestured for Mihal to hold the glasses so that she could pour.

“We should come up with something to toast. That’s a tradition on Quatona whenever you open a fine vintage. Could be something easy, like our health or good fortune, if you’d like.”

“Well,” Mihal spoke lowly as he paused in thought for a moment before raising his newly filled glass. The crew was too easy, and perhaps a tad insulting given the stakes of what was about to happen “To our future successes then,” he excitedly spoke. “To developing our own inhibitors and helping end the war.”

Clinking her glass into Mihal’s, Saesa masked her discomfort at his toast with a smile.

“Yes. To our future successes.” She declared, before she took a sip of the wine. It tasted as incredible as she remembered, quite possibly even more-so as she relished the connection to a home that she hadn’t seen in so long.

Pausing, Saesa’s smile softened into a frown as she looked down at her drink. She was quiet for a few moments, unable to bring herself to take another sip.

“Mihal, about the inhibitors.” She eventually began, knowing that she couldn’t continue to put off the conversation no matter how much she wished to. “Naiket - the jokari that I had look over Aarla? Her conclusions weren’t great.”

Mihal’s expression seemed to painfully invert as though the vintage had soured in his mouth mid-swallow as what Saesa had said set in. With sudden violence, the kiel burst out into a coughing fit, quickly placing the glass on an end table just before it may have spilled. “What… what did she say,” he coarsely asked, struggling to speak as his throat and lungs attempted to force out the wine. “Don’t blunt it,” Mihal added as he looked towards Saesa.

Saesa’s eyes widened in concern as Mihal spat out his wine.

“Are you alright!?” She exclaimed instinctively, reaching out as if to help before catching herself as she was met by his stern gaze.

Saesa recoiled under that look for a moment, glancing towards her own hands as she tried to think of how to put her concerns into words. Sighing, her voice was heavy when she finally began to speak.
“Amlai and I have...not been making great progress.” Saesa admitted, steeling herself from any immediate response from Mihal. “I know that I was said that things were going well. And at first, they really were! Amlai’s done some incredible work, but everywhere we turn we just keep running into some new deadend.” It wasn’t the direct response that he’d likely been hoping for, but Saesa had to give him context. For her own sake, if nothing else. “I hoped that Naiket would be able to offer us some insight. Something that we could link to her brain chemistry or neurology. But we got nothing. Naiket said that she could sense a ‘scarring of her psyche’ - whatever that means in their religion.”

Realising that she was rambling, Saesa cut herself off. Closing her eyes, she forced herself to breathe out before she turned to look Mihal in the eyes. There was a sadness in her own features as she spoke.

“I’m sorry Mihal, we just don’t have enough time. I - I can keep trying. I want to keep trying. But we’re using up some supplies in the process. Not a lot but…” Saesa paused. “...but enough to matter.” She couldn’t quite bring herself to say more. To say how it mattered. That it mattered in terms of days that Aarla might be able to live healthily before her own mind killed her.

Burying her head in her hands, Saesa all at once felt so incredibly tired. “I’m sorry, Mihal. I just don’t know what else to do.”

Mihal gave a long, heavy sigh as he listened to Saesa. Reaching for his glass, he took another sip as clearly pondered what he wanted to say once she had finished. One sip soon became two, which was then followed up by a larger drink. Sighing once more, he reached out and gently pulled one of Saesa’s hands away from her. Mihal mustered up the will to smile slightly, offering a faint reassurance as he resisted the siren call of more wine while he cupped her hot cheek.

“I don’t know either,” Mihal admitted, though he knew it wasn’t some surprise. “I understood we weren’t likely to succeed. I hoped our plan would work, I prayed that it would work, to all the gods who would listen, but I knew succeeding wouldn’t make all her problems go away. But I just wanted her to have a taste of a normal life.”

Mihal paused for a moment, then chuckled once before his smile grew wider. “The funny thing is that I have failed at doing that for her, but she clearly didn’t fail at it today. She’s probably sleeping off a hang-over, after doing gods know what at a bar. I think that’s a success for me, however small it may be.”

Saesa flinched slightly as Mihal touched her cheek, surprised by the contact. But she didn’t pull herself away either as he tried to comfort her. Sniffling, a faint smile tugged at her lips as she imagined Aarla nursing a headache in her room.

“Now that’s just silly. Funny as it is, she’ll never be able to just be normal. Even if we didn’t have this problem and could get her new inhibitors, I’m not sure how she’d take hearing about this new plan you and Thanica have…”

Saesa’s voice trailed off, her brow furrowing as the edges of an idea started to solidify in her mind. Until, all at once, her eyes widened in realisation.

“Oh my god, Mihal. They can get her inhibitors!” She exclaimed, jumping to her feet. “The Major, Command, if they want us to work for them so badly, then you need to make them promise to give us more of her medication.” Saesa’s eyes had lit up as she rattled off her plan. “We just need to tell them that we won’t take up their offer otherwise. We have all the leverage!”

“I don’t think it would be that simple,” Mihal replied. “You and I aren’t too important to the arrangement in the grand scheme of things. The marshal was more concerned with Thanica and the Ragon since they have managed to coexist, which is important to his plan. The offer was just extended to everyone else because they needed to staff a government.”

Eager to put her plan into action, Saesa had stood up excitedly. But when Mihal remained seated and seemed to hesitate, she felt the unease swiftly begin to return. His words were slow and measured, as if to skirt around what it was that he was really trying to say.

“Well, Thanica and Sshalah wouldn’t just leave the rest of us behind.” She shot back, a stubbornness in her tone even as she began to doubt herself. “They...wouldn’t. Aarla is part of the crew, just like the rest of you. If she needed the inhibitors, then the Captain would have to insist that she gets them.”

As she said them out loud, Saesa started to realise just how hollow the words sounded. Would the Defiance’s leaders really jeopardize their own futures - and that of the majority of the crew - for a girl who was at best a loose canon in their midst? Or for that matter, a Command scientist that had never really gotten on with them.

Saesa’s shoulders began to slump, the reality and truth behind Mihal’s words settling in. She felt drained by it all.

“Damn it, Mihal. None of this is fair.”

“No, it’s not,” Mihal said as he shook his head. His facade cracked as the last traces of a smile finally faded when he sighed and took another drink of the wine. “Gods, why must everything be so damned difficult,” he mumbled to himself as he looked over to the bag of clothes he had bought. He felt so foolish now, but willed himself to look towards Saesa again. “Well,” he added, though he hesitated for a moment, “what do we do now? What can we do now?”

Saesa didn’t respond at first. The whole situation just made her feel tired. It was all too much to keep track of, too much to keep worrying about. Frustrated at her own feeling of powerlessness, Saesa ignored her barely-touched glass of wine and grabbed the open bottle by its neck. Without thinking, she knocked the bottle back and forced herself to take a solid drink before planting it back down on the table beside Mihal. Dropping herself down onto the couch, she sighed in exasperation.

“I guess Amlai and I should just keep trying. Maybe the Gods will deliver us an overdue miracle, if we’re exceptionally lucky.” A smile crept onto Saesa’s features as she glanced back towards Mihal, remembering how the conversation had started with his telling her about the deal being struck with the Marshal. “Why can we never just have good news? There always has to be something else ruining the moment.”

Saesa chuckled, already feeling the effects of the wine touching her cheeks. She didn’t say anything more for a few seconds, not sure if she should say what she was thinking. To hell with it. What’s even the point in keeping it secret?

“Mihal, I’m broke.” The scientist said, her smile remaining as she couldn’t help but feel amused at her own situation. “I spent all of my pay from the Captain to get Naiket to look at Aarla, for some gods-know-why reason. And that was all that I had left at this point.” In case the other kiel hadn’t connected the dots, Saesa continued, forcing herself to rip off her own proverbial bandaid. “The truth is, that I was never pardoned by Command. I was exiled. My family doesn’t want to talk to me, everyone I knew at the Institute refuses to respond to my messages...I’m not even sure that I’m still a citizen at this point.”

Despite the smile, there were tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

“Last time we were here, when the Captain said that I had every right to leave the ship, I was terrified. I don’t even have enough to put a roof over my head if I didn’t have the Defiance. I’ve forced myself not to think about it, but once this is all over I have no idea what I’ll do.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I wish I would have known sooner” Mihal replied softly, feeling the growing heat in his cheeks. Honesty was a luxury that Saesa had not afforded him in the past, but who would lie about their circumstances like that? He certainly didn’t when the Army kicked down his door, yet everyone had treated him like he had. “I know your pain,” He added with a sigh

“Almost everyone I knew probably thinks I am a traitor or that I’m dead, or both, so I never tried sending a message,” he explained as he felt the sting of his own eyes tearing up and the growing heat in his cheeks “Who would believe that I was innocent? The woman who I was dating never visited me during the trial, and the gods damn well knew she had the connections to do it! And even if they did believe me, what would I tell them? That I was alive, with a mercenary band of mutineers? That’s little better than dead when my family would still almost certainly never see me again.

“But I am not alone, not now.” he sniffed as he wiped away a tear as he took an awkward seat on the arm of the couch. “And you don’t have to be either.”
Saesa offered Mihal a faint smile, appreciative of his show of concern.

“Thanks, that means a lot. And I’m sorry, too.” She said. There was a brief pause, before Saesa eventually decided to continue. “You never mentioned that you were seeing someone before all this. I’m sorry that she didn’t turn out to be what you thought.”

“You hadn’t asked, I thought it was never relevant before, and it is still painful,” Mihal said before taking his own swig from the bottle. “She hated that high-born bastard her parents wanted her to marry, but, when she had to choose, she still chose the money over me.” Mihal shook his head, took a deep breath, and tried to compose himself as he scooted onto the couch proper. “I’m sorry,” he added. “That’s in the past now.”

Saesa frowned as she heard Mihal recount his story. She didn't respond at first, partially ashamed that some part of herself understood the choice that the woman had made. There were responsibilities to consider, she'd been taught. But a fat lot of good such concerns had done her so far.

"That sucks." Was what she eventually said, knowing that Mihal needed someone supportive right now. Jokingly, she continued. "If it means anything, I bet she's regretting her decision to pass up on someone like you."

“Maybe not,” he answered after giving something between a scoff and a chuckle, “but the thought is certainly nice.” Awkwardly, the man broke eye contact as his cheeks warmed pleasantly, giving his smile a healthy glow even in the artificial light of the Defiance. “It’s lovely... to be able to talk to another Kiel. Someone aboard this ship who knows.”

Saesa returned Mihal’s smile, understanding what he meant. She’d never really felt like she’d had a place onboard the ship, and she’d often wondered how Mihal had been able to integrate himself so well. For a time, it seemed like some of the crew considered Command - and by extension their kind - to be as much of an enemy as the Ragon. Saesa turned her gaze away from Mihal as she shifted in her seat. She frowned as she verbalized her own thoughts, feeling like she was getting a weight off of her chest.

“I blame them, Mihal.” Saesa admitted, clutching her glass between her hands. “Thanica, Carter...you, to a certain extent, I guess. I had a life back home. An actual, proper life. And that was all ruined when I woke up and you had all taken the ship.” The scientist glanced at Mihal, a hint of sadness in her voice. “I know it’s silly. But despite everything, there’s a part of me that still just wants to be angry.”

Mihal broke his gaze under Saesa’s glance. He seemed to shrink, and certainly felt far smaller than he had earlier. It was true he was to blame for her unease, at least partially, “But it’s not silly,” He responded after what seemed like an agonizingly long period of silence for both of them. “I had just gotten dressed when the soldiers kicked down my door. I made it out through a fire escape, then tried to get away in a car. I made it to a spaceport before they finally cuffed me.”

Awkwardly, he reestablished eye-contact, but he was still very clearly uncomfortable as he continued to speak softly. “I was angry. Angry at the system, angry at her, and angry at myself. When my verdict came, I felt nothing for a while, then desperation in that cell. I was terrified during the mutiny, and hung back the best I could, but then I was free. It was exhilarating, but then we were pressed into Gollar service to recover some lost tech, then we rescued Carter, and now we are fighting this war.

“I’m getting tired of it, Saesa, and I want some peace.” Mihal admitted. His lips were painfully dry now, and the chuckle he forced had mere affectations of joy. “But I am terrified of starting again, alone again, when this is all done when everyone who can goes to a home, whether it’s their old home or a new one.”

Frowning as the slight joy seemed to entirely drain away from Mihal’s features, Saesa felt a pang of regret for having brought up the topic. It had felt good to get it off of her chest, but she felt bad for layering yet more unwanted thoughts onto the man. Even if he had been involved in the mutiny, Saesa didn’t doubt that Mihal had been as caught up in all of this as she’d been. He was kind, in a way that she was finding that few people were. It wasn’t fair for someone like him to be suffering as much as he was.

Forcing a broad smile onto her face, Saesa rocked herself out of her chair with a determination to try and cheer Mihal up. She swiped the nearly finished bottle of wine from the table and proceeded to swallow a healthy mouthful before handling what was left back to her colleague.

“Well, Mihal. I think our only option is to drink until we stop feeling angry, no?” She declared, with a mischievous smirk on her features. “We can give Aarla some company tomorrow when she’s dealing with her hangover.”

He huffed out of amusement as the woman rose to her feet. It was very much an idea he could get behind. “Health to the company then,” Mihal raised the bottle, before up-ending the bottle. This night had been such a waste of good wine, but the creeping blur finally hitting his system made it worth it to him, especially after he went for the other bottles.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 am

Mattys Venter
Med Bay

Grenartia wrote:"Phoenix Williams. I'm one of the Defiance's midshipmen. I also moonlight as medic, US liason officer, and rarely, scientist. Pleased to meet you." she replied with a smile and taking Mattys' hand and shaking it. "Got a particular job title you're signing up for?" Phe inquired. She listed her jobs, so it only made sense to ask about his.

Mattys returned the American's, surprisingly tight grip, and allowed some laughter to creep into his voice.

"Ja, I'm the new combat medic." Mattys motioned toward his holster and sheathe on their respective thighs. He paused before continuing with an even wider grin on his face. "Also dig a mean ditch."

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Cazryn of Arabana

Cazryn shook her head slowly. "If you look in many windows, eventually you'll find one with someone looking back." Her posture shifted to something casual, but she kept her hands behind her back and holding her knife. "It wasn't that long you sent Mihal to have a private conversation with me, now you're having a separate one with Carter. I'm just curious what it is you actually want. All this talk of survival, a big show of how it's in your nature, that it's all one big game of prey and predator." She grinned a little, her enlarged canines prominent. "I don't buy it. A convenient disguise to hide behind."

The Erloi straightened up her posture. "There will be no 'sorting it out'. This silliness should be put to bed, it's in everyone's best interest." Her skin markings dimmed a little. "I'd hate to see the state of the ship if an Erloi hunting party is dispatched aboard."

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Carter makes a decision

Captain Nathan Taylor Carte
The Defiance Bridge

The days had been tiresome, frustrating and coursing with new problems of all types as Carter found a short moment of rest within the pilot seats of the ship. He longed to be back home, perhaps it was commitment or a foolish sense of heroism that kept him from returning to Earth even though he wanted to do nothing but that. Settle down with Thanica in a farm, work the fields, rest on the porch and have lots of children, but the looming threats that laid within the infinite cosmos was what truly kept him at unease. Carter couldn't give up on this fight, no matter how many years it'd take he swore to himself that despite the restlessness and brutality he'd see through it all no matter what. The matter of telling the human crew that they were free to leave if they so desired was a priority of course, but at this present moment he was more concerned with catching rest in the very slim time he had, the rest of the crew would be trickier to contain if they got angry over their impressment being extended.

"God help me please," came the whisper from the Captain as he kept his eyes shut and embraced the flares of light that shined through the viewscreen of bridge. It was then that a familiar, soft and cheery voice brought Carter a momentary joyful rejuvenation, Thanica Vari. The ever so adorable Dhasath was as filled with life as she was filled with beauty, Carter knew that as his eyes glimmered at her appearance, he'd taken comfort in knowing she stood by him regardless of his many errors. There had simply been something about her that had always hypnotized him, was it truly love? an intoxicating sense of delirious appreciation and beholding, or perhaps something else, he'd never quite been able to make clear why he felt for he so much but he had no reason to truly question it.

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Thanica Vari
"Not a great meeting?" she asked,

"Well, I'm not being court-martialled so I guess it went better than expected. Got some news for the crew though..." Carter said as he looked up to Thanica, his mannerism a much more outgoing on despite his still restless face.

"How about you?"

Dyelli Beybi wrote:"Turns out Vilia was there when I went to the KC embassy. We met with him. It was productive and I'll tell you all about it. First though," she asked, her voice low and serious, "What is your plan for telling the crew the humans are free to leave but the rest of us aren't? Because the KC reps spilled the beans on that. Sshalah, Mihal, Doctor Phoenix and Alex were all there to talk to Vilia, so you can't keep it a secret from one group or the other. Some humans might want to leave. Some of the others might be getting mutinous."

Vilia, crew free or not free to leave, KC spilling the beans, Carter wasn't exactly surprised that the Command knew about many things already but he hadn't quite expected Thanica to know so much. At least he didn't need to worry about telling her now but still had to worry about the crew.

"Well, the human crew can leave as soon as they wish, the Confederacy should've already sent them the notification but I was planning on telling them anyway, it is their choice first and foremost. As for the rest of the crew,..." Carter paused while taking a deep and thoughtful breath.

"I guess they're gonna have to deal with it for now... From what I know they can still fill out the forms to get out of the impressment but at the pace the war is going and knowing how bureaucratic the Confederacy is, that's a long shot at this point..."

Europa Undivided wrote:Kaleso Stralbane

Ah shit, welp, better him than any other I guess... Carter's mind raced as the Captain turned the pilot chair around to face the entering Jokari. He wasn't exactly mad or even annoyed at the Jokari's interference, rather he was merely surprised. Thanica for her part had much more to say now.

"The fact that the Gollar treat us as property but give the humans special treatment because they're courting Earth and the Federation?" Thanica jumped in, supplying her interpretation of what 'thing' Kaleso was referring to. Her eyes had lit up when he entered, almost as if she saw him as a natural ally in whatever argument she was about to put across. The non-humans needed to stick together.

She yawned, stretching her back, before glancing back to Carter, lacing her hands around his neck, "You know I've been going through a bit of a crisis Captain, ever since the Gollar decided to demote me," she didn't say anything about being made to go through an election to even keep the demoted position. It had affected her, brought her to where she was now, but she had already cleared the air with Carter on that one and she didn't want to make him feel bad, "It took a while for me to figure things out for myself, but I think I have now. You... you are a soldier, Captain, but me... I'm a pirate. I'm here for the crew; for you, for Kaleso, for everyone else on this ship. I don't care for any state or ideology, they've never cared for me, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty if that's what needs to be done."

"Why don't you and the other humans resign your commissions with the Gollar and leave the ship for a day. Take a shuttle down to earth. Visit your family. Have one of those 'ice creams'," she suggested softly, "While you're away, we'll sort everything out. Mend the schisms in the crew and put everything back to where it should be." Plausible deniability for Carter and a convenient Dhasath to pin the blame on if the Gollar kicked off.

Thanica's words came into Carter's ears like a siren to a sailor, remembering his many mistakes, the way he had flunked so much and made her feel betrayed, and yet she was able to remind him of such with quite the enchanting charm that no other women on Earth had ever possessed. Not only that but Carter was aware of the feelings of discontent among much of the crew, quite the precarious situation he was in. He cared for the ship, he cared for the crew, for the cause they were fighting and he care for Thanica but perhaps she was right, perhaps it was best to head back to Earth and find his own self again. It had all been so overwhelming, so challenging, he had been in this new expansive world for months now and yet he had not gotten used to it, not a single bit.

M-maybe she's right, maybe I should, just stop... NO, you can't, you need to muster on for the sake of the future, for Earth, she has to understand. But maybe she won't, maybe she'll leave, maybe the others will want to- Carter's mind raced onwards as he considered Thanica's words, his expression a rather relaxed one as he took in her soft touch. Maybe she was right, she was always right, maybe that's all he needed, a true rest from it all.

"I think, m-maybe you're ri-"

Carter's words were cut off suddenly by a rather surprising presence, one that for better or worse made his full senses bounce back.

Demencia wrote:
Cazryn of Arabana

"W-what!" Carter suddenly realized what was happening, was he a fool at many times, was he perhaps not a perfect leader, was he ignorant of many things? All of them were true, but one thing he was not, was stupid. Stupid enough to believe the same ploys that Thanica had used herself on enemies, the same scheming she had used to save him, the same enchanting mannerism she used for her benefit and to most likely take the ship and do who knew what with it, leaving HIM to face the Gollar's ultimate wrath. Perhaps Carter's sudden shift in mood was a surprise to some of the crew present, but Thanica didn't seem fazed by the accusations by the second in command.

Thanica didn't look remotely embarrassed or ashamed of what had been overheard. "Me playing both sides?" she motioned at herself with a look of wide eyed surprise, "No, I'm not playing anyone. Plenty of people are playing me and I'm just trying to make the most of the situation," she said, without admitting to anything.

She shrugged again, "It's not like dhasath get that many opportunities... unless you count the many, many opportunities for us to die. I'd be a fool not to at least take a look at it if something did come along. Patriotism is great and all, but it doesn't put food on the table when you have none," she added, continuing to dance around the point.

Carter couldn't believe what he was hearing, whatever had continuously kept him weary and tired had dozed off now as he took in the words of Crazyn, and Thanica. Their little sparing was not over yet, and Carter was not ready to make his mind known just yet as he continued to rub his face and pull his hair back in utter frustration.

Demencia wrote:
Cazryn of Arabana

Cazryn shook her head slowly. "If you look in many windows, eventually you'll find one with someone looking back." Her posture shifted to something casual, but she kept her hands behind her back and holding her knife. "It wasn't that long you sent Mihal to have a private conversation with me, now you're having a separate one with Carter. I'm just curious what it is you actually want. All this talk of survival, a big show of how it's in your nature, that it's all one big game of prey and predator." She grinned a little, her enlarged canines prominent. "I don't buy it. A convenient disguise to hide behind."

The Erloi straightened up her posture. "There will be no 'sorting it out'. This silliness should be put to bed, it's in everyone's best interest." Her skin markings dimmed a little. "I'd hate to see the state of the ship if an Erloi hunting party is dispatched aboard."

"ENOUGH!" Carter finally cracked as he unholstered his blaster pistol, keeping the weapon pointed down he glanced at Crazyn, his eyes now tense but instead of finding himself at odds with the Erloi, he nodded. A rather universal symbol of agreement even for an Erloi, he recognized that despite his own personal feelings, his devotion to the crew, devotion to Thanica, the major was correct. This all smelled suspicious, Thanica going behind his own back, scheming with the crew and seemingly trying to fool him into leaving the ship to what he could best assume was commandering it, but for what reason? Finally he turned to face the Dhasath, taking a few steps back, seemingly siding with Crazyn.

"Thanica... What are you really planning?" Carter said while trying to contain his seething feeling of betrayal, he wanted to assume the best of Thanica but at this point he didn't know. His mind was steeming with confusing thoughts and feelings of suspicion.

"Did you sold out back to the Command? After everything they did to you, to the crew, to me..." His tone turned from hurt to one of deepening resent.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:44 am

Thanica Vari

Thanica's eyes widened in surprise. There was a slight pause, then she slipped down from where she had started herself, taking a rather rigid military stance, her arms folded nearly behind her back, "Captain, I would request not to answer that question, at this time," she said.

The Gollar were rigid in their enforcement of the law and she had been playing a dangerous game. She wanted to be a citizen of her own homeland, but she hadn't been about to take that on without talking to Carter first. All she's been offering was plausible deniability and he'd reacted like she was trying to con him into selling his grandmother at Pleasure Haven..."I would request that you consider whether I have given any cause to be mistrusted in the past," she added. There was a slight tightening in her voice that suggested she wasn't exactly happy with the response she had received, "Whether I have done anything that was not in the best interests of the crew? I have never asked to be taken on trust before."

She'd risked her life for the crew on countless occasions and she'd obeyed orders without question. Yet despite that, Carter still didn't trust her and she couldn't figure out why... No, that wasn't quite true.

She had an inkling of a suspicion and it made her feel a little queasy. The non-humans would 'have to deal with it'. The Earth authorities wouldn't let them into the planet. The way some of the humans talked... they didn't see the other species as their equals. Maybe that had been different before they could get home, but not they could. It changed everything for them. Surely not for Carter? Or did it?

Demencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Demencia » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Cazryn of Arabana

The Erloi must have found something in Thanica's response amusing, as her grin widened. "Always looking out for the crew. Such a noble ideal. One that would be hard to argue with." she started. "It's a shame you spend just as much time undermining it." She glanced sideways at Carter.

"You proclaim altruistic intentions, but all of your reasons are about you. You're being played, You'd be a fool not to take the opportunity not given to dhasath. You were going through a crisis ever since you were demoted." She removed her empty hand from behind her back and gestured in the air. "Or maybe that's where the problem truly lies? You've been upset about it since the beginning, by your own admission. Now you're willing to 'get your hands dirty', by your own admission, to resolve it. But it's all for the benefit of the crew."

Cazryn returned her hand behind her back. "Don't let me interrupt, though. I'm curious what the rest of your plan is. Carter and the humans all resign and leave to to go Earth. You kill me, and anyone else the Gollar send to stop you, then what? Wait for them to get back and go fly off to join the war again under different colors? Or maybe you don't wait, and just leave without them? It'd be very difficult for the humans to get back onboard with the Gollar still trying to retake the ship afterall."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse